PDA

View Full Version : IS there still any doubt? DEFENSE wins.

ScottXray
01-11-2009, 11:45 AM
A look at the playoffs so far and it is obvious.

The teams that have good to great defenses are the ones that
have advanced. Turnovers KILL.

Ravens -Titans both great D.
Steelers great D. Chargers...improved D play got them here.

Arizona...playing lights out on D.
Giants and Philadelphia...D got them here.

Carolina, Miami, Titans, Minnesota out.

Defense STILL wins championships, because at the level of the playoffs
you HAVE to have both.

Keep this in mind Pat!

Paladin
01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
That's "Mr. Bowlen, sir!" to you, little guy.....

gunns
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
A look at the playoffs so far and it is obvious.

The teams that have good to great defenses are the ones that
have advanced. Turnovers KILL.

Ravens -Titans both great D.
Steelers great D. Chargers...improved D play got them here.

Arizona...playing lights out on D.
Giants and Philadelphia...D got them here.

Carolina, Miami, Titans, Minnesota out.

Defense STILL wins championships, because at the level of the playoffs
you HAVE to have both.

Keep this in mind Pat!

Almost all have an average to good offense. It's all about D and I hope he's paying attention also. I like the fact he's having each candidate bring in their projected assistants. Very telling.

lex
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
You can win with a great offense and an ok defense still but theres no doubt that having a very strong defense has its place.

yavoon
01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I like how arizona is now proof defense wins. that pretty much destroys the thread.

ScottXray
01-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I like how arizona is now proof defense wins. that pretty much destroys the thread.

Whatever. They did not play well much in the regular season. But they have been really stepping up in the post season. Their d-line has been getting to the QB, penetrating on runs and pressuring like theres no tomorrow, . Not sure why, but it is their D that is really stepping up, and thats why they are still in it. That and DelHomme crapping the bed yesterday. But 5 picks? That is rediculous.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Dude. They forced 6 turnovers and are only giving up like 60 yards a game on the ground against Atlanta and Carolina's running games. If anything, it makes his point stronger.

gunns
01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
You can win with a great offense and an ok defense still but theres no doubt that having a very strong defense has its place.

Which team(s) would that be?

yavoon
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Dude. They forced 6 turnovers and are only giving up like 60 yards a game on the ground against Atlanta and Carolina's running games. If anything, it makes his point stronger.

no, it doesn't. just like rex grossman's bears scoring 40(they led the league in scoring or almost led the league in scoring the year they made the superbowl) proves that offense wins championships. if arizona's team design is a template for winning championships it is NOT proof defense does it.

yavoon
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Whatever. They did not play well much in the regular season. But they have been really stepping up in the post season. Their d-line has been getting to the QB, penetrating on runs and pressuring like theres no tomorrow, . Not sure why, but it is their D that is really stepping up, and thats why they are still in it. That and DelHomme crapping the bed yesterday. But 5 picks? That is rediculous.

like indy stepped it up the year they won? That doesn't prove defense wins. If anything it proves you should stack your offense and hope your defense gets hot for a little bit.

Florida_Bronco
01-11-2009, 12:34 PM

I agree with you on this.

gunns
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
like indy stepped it up the year they won? That doesn't prove defense wins. If anything it proves you should stack your offense and hope your defense gets hot for a little bit.

Indy had injuries on their D that year. At playoff time they got those players back and their D did become hot. If they hadn't they wouldn't have won. And in those situations during the regular season it helps if you play in a crappy division such as with the Cardinals this year, Indy in the year they won the SB.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Agreed. Their D ranked 28th in points given up while Carolina ranked 12th.

So... Arizona beating Carolina is proof a good D wins? Somehow if that game ended vice versa, I have a feeling the same argument would've been used in this thread.

It's the art of reaching a conclusion first then finding anything to fit it.

broncofan7
01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Agreed. Their D ranked 28th in points given up while Carolina ranked 12th.

So... Arizona beating Carolina is proof a good D wins? Somehow if that game ended vice versa, I have a feeling the same argument would've been used in this thread.

It's the art of reaching a conclusion first then finding anything to fit it.

Rep. AZ has an average defense with little discipline but who also has playmakers (dansby, berry, rolle, cromartie)that met a t/o crazy QB last night. the key to the game was AZ's ability to move the ball on Carolina' superior D and get TD's not FG's. Versus ATL, AZ was playing at home where they had been very good all year.

lex
01-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Which team(s) would that be?

I dont really think there are any great offenses this year. The Giants maybe had the necessary balance before Burress had his problems. The Panthers were a QB away from having it. Yeah, I dont really see any this year.

cutthemdown
01-11-2009, 01:19 PM
If you can't score you can't win.

If you can't stop anyone you can't win.

You need a little of both to win championships.

enjolras
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Arizonas defense is vastly improved because Arizona discovered that they could run the ball. They had the ball for TWENTY more minutes (39:49 to 20:11 for Carolina). When they forced turnovers they were able to keep the ball for long periods.

That makes defense a lot easier.

It's not about defense or offense, the two are much more closely related than people like to admit. We played much better defense this year when Hillis was out there moving the chains. So it's not as easy as 'defense wins championships'. Well constructed teams win championships. I believe physical teams win championships. But not simply good defense.

ScottXray
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Aas I said in the first post at the end...you HAVE to have both!
No Defense = No playoffs. No Offense = No playoffs.

In the Playoffs you must have both , and turnovers = go home.

Fusionfrontman
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Teams that do not turn the ball over make it to the playoffs. The Falcons I believe were the only team minus(-4) in the playoffs.

Defense doesn't win championships. Not turning the ball over and controlling the clock wins championships.