PDA

View Full Version : Who is Broncos COO Joe Ellis?

montrose
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
With Ellis having been heavily involved in the coaching search thus far, and Bowlen sending him to New England for an in-depth interview with McDaniels, I was interested to read a bit about him and pass it along. The COO is often times the organization 's Chief Accountant - which leads me to speculate that money (not just with McDaniels salary, but assistants, which players need to go, etc.) could've been part of Ellis' discussion but that's pure speculation on my part.

This is his bio from the Broncos media kit:

After spending the last 10 years as the Denver Broncos’ Executive Vice President of Business Operations, Joe Ellis was named Chief Operating Officer of the National Football League franchise on Jan. 11, 2008. He rejoined the Broncos for his second stint with the team in 1998 from the NFL’s league office, where he had been Vice President of Club Administration and Stadium Management.

Ellis, who began his career with the Broncos as their Director of Marketing from 1983-85, currently works in tandem with Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Head Coach Mike Shanahan in ensuring the Broncos’ business and financial objectives are met. He is responsible for business and financial management, marketing and sales functions, media relations, ticket operations, and facilities and administrative operations for the National Football League team.

Ellis was a driving force in helping with the creation of INVESCO Field at Mile High, which opened in 2001, and is an extremely active participant in all aspects of the stadium’s management and development. In this capacity, he has worked very closely with important members of the political, business and civic communities that comprise the cultural fabric of Denver.

Ellis came to his present position with comprehensive expertise in the areas of stadium operations, fiscal planning, personnel management, marketing, media and community relations. He also oversees Stadium Management Company (SMC), which operates and manages INVESCO Field at Mile High. During his first stint with the Broncos as their Director of Marketing from 1983-85, Ellis was in charge of all marketing and promotions implemented by the club during this time. He left the Broncos following the 1985 season to obtain his master’s degree from the J.L. Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He graduated from Northwestern in 1988 and joined the NFL in 1990.

While with the NFL, Ellis was involved in several aspects of league operations with a strong focus on new stadium development. He was especially involved in the league’s oversight of the Cleveland Browns’ reentry into the NFL in 1999.

Ellis represents the Broncos on numerous boards and civic organizations in the metropolitan area and received his bachelor’s degree from Colorado College in 1980.

Joe and his wife, Ann, have three children: sons Si and Zander, and daughter Catherine.

illbroncsfn
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice addition of info on J.Ellis montrose....

Man-Goblin
01-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Has anyone ever seen him and Mark Warnkentien in the same place at the same time?

montrose
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ever seen him and Mark Warnkentien in the same place at the same time?

Nope. I imagine Warkentien is too busy sheming how he can f*** up the best team in Nuggets history.

Man-Goblin
01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Nope. I imagine Warkentien is too busy sheming how he can **** up the best team in Nuggets history.

They are at least the best nuggs team I have ever seen. But my fear is the broncos ending up with a shared power structure similar to the nuggets.

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I know Joe Ellis pretty well ... he was hired by John Beake as the marketing guy when I worked there in 1984 and has been with the team ever siunce. Very very funny guy, regular sense of humor ... always called me "Sonny." We did dueling Howard Cosell impressions all day long. Great guy. Regular guy. Very smart, organized guy.

spdirty
01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I know Joe Ellis pretty well ... he was hired by John Beake as the marketing guy when I worked there in 1984 and has been with the team ever siunce. Very very funny guy, regular sense of humor ... always called me "Sonny." We did dueling Howard Cosell impressions all day long. Great guy. Regular guy. Very smart, organized guy.

Is he gonna pick Spags?

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Is he gonna pick Spags?
He seems more like a guy who will put together packages and glean info about candidates, to present to Bowlen.

I will say this: Joe Ellis 5 hours alone with McDaniels in Rhode Island the other day? That wasn't 5 hours of eating and Howard Cosell impersonations, that was negotiations. On salary, conditions, benefits and staff. Since I read that, I'm 99% sure it's McDaniels.

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I will say this: Joe Ellis 5 hours alone with McDaniels in Rhode Island the other day? That wasn't 5 hours of eating and Howard Cosell impersonations, that was negotiations. On salary, conditions, benefits and staff. Since I read that, I'm 99% sure it's McDaniels.
I
Told
You
So
;D

LonghornBronco
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Cudos for Montrose and Buff. You guys sniffed this one out

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Obviously someone that Pat trusts enough to go close the deal on a new HC.

NUB
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Pat Bowlen: entrepreneur and big time Howard Cosell fan.

dbroncos31
01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
My cousin.

Great guy, great family.

TonyR
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
JOE ELLIS HAS THE JUICE IN DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2009, 7:54 a.m. EST
One thing that has become abundantly clear in the wake of the termination of Mike Shanahan and the hiring of Josh McDaniels is that COO Joe Ellis (who?) has become one of the most powerful figures in the Broncos organization.

And so Ellis is the latest in a line of Tom Lewands and Paul Vances and (though he carries the title of G.M.) Mike Tannenbaums – Don Draper-types who used a mastery of the intricate rules of the salary cap to position themselves to have significant influence over the football operation while having no accountability for on-field failure because, after all, they’re not football guys (as Lewand emphasized a couple of weeks ago in the press conference introducing him as the team’s president).

That’s why there’s a good chance that, even though the Broncos currently have two employees who carry the title of “assistant G.M.,” there likely won’t be a General Manager hired, at least not from outside the organization.

It’s our understanding that the three-headed operation of Jim Goodman the father, Jim Goodman the son, and Brian Xanders, all put in place by Shanahan, will continue to run the show, at least for now. Helping their cases was a solid 2008 draft, which resulted in the addition of players like tackle Ryan Clady, receiver Eddie Royal, running back Ryan Torain, and running back Peyton Hillis.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/12/joe-ellis-has-the-juice-in-denver/

LonghornBronco
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
In hind sight, I think the Goodmans had a lot to do with Shanahan becoming expendable...