PDA

View Full Version : Mort via PFT: McDaniels and Frazier are the final two

Inkana7
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
McDANIELS, FRAZIER THE FAVORITES IN DENVER?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2009, 12:00 p.m. EST

The morning after the Denver Post reported that the Broncos had cut their list of finalists for the head-coaching job from seven to five and could make an offer this weekend — and then the Post subsequently and without explanation removed from the article any reference to the overall status of the coaching search — Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Broncos might have cut their list to two.

Mort says that the “buzz” is that the two leading candidates are Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

If so, the Broncos have a difficult decision to make. Do they want an offensive guru to lead a team that already enjoys a high-powered offense, or do they want to focus on trying to pump up the defense while the offense runs on the fumes of Shanahan. (Hopefully, he hadn’t been eating Mexican.)

The other three finalists that the Post identified before scrubbing the information out of its article are Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, and Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/mcdaniels-frazier-the-favorites-in-denver/

It's Florio and Mort, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm not happy with this.

Hallside
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
McDaniels!!!!

1. McDaniels
2. Spag
3. Frazier
4. Morris
5. Garrett

Of the major candidates, I think that's how I feel.

lex
01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
This blows. Hopefully its not true. Aside from not wanting it to be true, it would be nice to expose how Mort and ESPN get their "news".

Dagmar
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Frazier no non nonononononononononono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illbroncsfn
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
How can Frazier be one of the final two? I'm dazed....

Inkana7
01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Mort:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3823396

TheReverend
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Too early for panic. Wait for the hire and then give them a chance. Hopefully they've shown something we're not privy to in the interview process.

watermock
01-10-2009, 12:45 PM
It's the waterboy.

Now we need a GM, HC, and DC.

And say goodbye to the offensive staff too.or

We'll be paying Shanny's salary in 09.

Good job Bowlen.

Natedog24
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Meh

I'll wait until we actual hire somebody before I actually get worked up, but either hire really doesn't excite me much.

illbroncsfn
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Frazier is a must better fit for Detroit...

watermock
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
If it's frazier, he can't bring the Williams twins and Allen with him, but probably will bring the horrible secondary.

Sassy
01-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Yikes! AND ugh!

broncofan7
01-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Yuck, yuck yuck. I hope that Bowlen or whoever it is talking to the press is just blowing smoke up Mort's a$$.

montrose
01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Between those two, McDaniels.

Mort also reported Bowlen had dinner with McDaniels on Thursday for a 2nd interview.

frerottenextelway
01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
McD may end being okay, but Frazier would be lucky to last 2 years here. It would be Phillips all over again.

lex
01-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Too early for panic. Wait for the hire and then give them a chance. Hopefully they've shown something we're not privy to in the interview process.

No way. They better have their **** tight out of the gate if Bowlen is going to take a chance on someone.

~Crash~
01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
McD may end being okay, but Frazier would be lucky to last 2 years here. It would be Phillips all over again.

yep spot on . two years only if he could pull out 8-8 season .....

~Crash~
01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
My bet with Frazier is 0-16..... first pick in the draft .

azbroncfan
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
What former Pats coaches have done anything in there own gigs without Billy B? I would shy away and Frazier doesn't do anything for me. In reality though Players make coaches and not the other way around. Coaches lead players but can't turn chicken sh&t into chicken salad.

Drek
01-10-2009, 01:17 PM
What former Pats coaches have done anything in there own gigs without Billy B? I would shy away and Frazier doesn't do anything for me. In reality though Players make coaches and not the other way around. Coaches lead players but can't turn chicken sh&t into chicken salad.

Mangini turned a completely rudderless Jets franchise into a playoff team year one and had a winning record two of his three seasons there.

Just 'cause his QB went rouge and blew it all up on him doesn't mean he wasn't doing a good job up to that point.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Between those two, McDaniels.

Mort also reported Bowlen had dinner with McDaniels on Thursday for a 2nd interview.

Accorinding to Schefter, McDaniels was with Joe Ellis Thursday night. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/10/denver-narrows-list-of-coaching-candidates/

Still want Spags 1st, Frazier 2nd.

frerottenextelway
01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
What former Pats coaches have done anything in there own gigs without Billy B?

Nick Saban?

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Scares me when a guy known for his D and they are vastly more talented then us are sitting home as well. Of the two I'd take McDaniels if its true.

Pseudofool
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Mort:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3823396After watching that, I don't know how PFT concludes that they've whittled it down to two.

azbroncfan
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Nick Saban?

He didn't do much in the pros.

Ironlung
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM
How drunk is Bowlen at these "dinners" ????

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
i just don't get it...

why not Spags?...

that guy shut down the best offense in NFL history last year to win the SB, and had a defense that lost Strahan and Osi play top notch defense this year...he made corey webster look like a pro bowler and made justin tuck look like richard seymour..

meanwhile frazier underachieved with a talented defense and clearly can't coach a secondary....and mcdaniels would scrap our current offensive system for his?....

doesn't make sense to me at all...why mess with the offense?...it was one of the best in football...our defense is the problem...the defense!

man i hope these rumors are all false...

Ray Finkle
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
i just don't get it...

why not Spags?...

that guy shut down the best offense in NFL history last year to win the SB, and had a defense that lost Strahan and Osi play top notch defense this year...he made corey webster look like a pro bowler and made justin tuck look like richard seymour..

meanwhile frazier underachieved with a talented defense and clearly can't coach a secondary....and mcdaniels would scrap our current offensive system for his?....

doesn't make sense to me at all...why mess with the offense?...it was one of the best in football...our defense is the problem...the defense!

man i hope these rumors are all false...

Frazier is a Johnson disciple much like Spags....How did he underachieve. Every where he has gone, the defense has done well. Look at the 2 years the Bengals D was good lately.

If it comes down to these two, I prefer Frazier.

illbroncsfn
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
McDaniels is the better hire by far IMHO over Frazier- I don't believe McDaniels would scrap our offensive system- just tweak some things- he may not believe in running the ball as much as Shannahan does- but then again the NFL has changed since 1995 and all the rules are geared towards teams passing the ball- so why not?

Defensively- Frazier worries me- see Montrose's thread on the underachieving Viking D. McDaniels started out as a defensive coach and did well as a DB coach.

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Frazier is a Johnson disciple much like Spags....How did he underachieve. Every where he has gone, the defense has done well. Look at the 2 years the Bengals D was good lately.

If it comes down to these two, I prefer Frazier.

How did he underachieve?...

He had arguably the best front four in football and still couldn't get his secondary to stop big plays...

Minnesota was in the bottom half in pass yds allowed...

if thats the best he can do with all the talent the Vikes had on D, what do you think he'll do with us?...

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I am a bit concerned with Frazier as well.
We know all too well what it is like to have a crappy pass defense.

His defenses have not been that impressive in stopping the pass, so I just dont know

want2bAbronco2
01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
The only way I want McDaniels is if by some freak of nature we get Spags to be the DC also.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
How did he underachieve?...

He had arguably the best front four in football and still couldn't get his secondary to stop big plays...

Minnesota was in the bottom half in pass yds allowed...

if thats the best he can do with all the talent the Vikes had on D, what do you think he'll do with us?...

Because no one can run on them.

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 02:07 PM

well yeah you are right the stats would be a bit inflated if the run defense was so solid, but two years ago I think they had the worst rated pass defense in the league......the worst.

That concerns me

Broncojef
01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
If this is our final list and Spagnuolo isn't a finalist I reserve the right to say firing Shanny was a mistake...how the hell does Frazier become a finalist? His Defenses are terrible with much more talent then us. Is Pat hiring the guy who interviews the best or the one who can actually get things done? I really hope the Giants lose soon so we can get Spagnuolo and end this all.

Inkana7
01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
well yeah you are right the stats would be a bit inflated if the run defense was so solid, but two years ago I think they had the worst rated pass defense in the league......the worst.

That concerns me

Two years ago Frazier wasn't the DC.

SureShot
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
What a great idea. Fire Shanahan to hire someone you hope will become as good as Shanahan someday.

Bowlen you gutless drunk.

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Two years ago Frazier wasn't the DC.

Yes he was.
Early in 07 he was named defensive coordinator, so not quite 2 years but close to when he took over.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758757

And in 07 the Vikings had the worst pass defense in the league

TonyR
01-10-2009, 02:25 PM
why not Spags?...

Possible reasons:
1) they want to hire someone sooner rather than later
2) Spags didn't interview well
3) they might like McDaniels (or whoever else) better
4) Spags might want more money
5) Spags might want more control and/or not want to keep most or all of the assistants the FO wants to keep

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Possible reasons:
5) Spags might want more control and/or not want to keep most or all of the assistants the FO wants to keep

all minor obstacles IMO...

but it is what it is i guess...

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2009, 02:31 PM

that's a lame excuse...and i watched the Vikes plenty this year and their secondary sucked...the Vikes were just not strong against the pass this year...

Broncojef
01-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Possible reasons:

I was excited about Spagnuolo because I thought our defense may finally be built up the way we have always wanted it. If we hire McDaniels I'm hoping for an equally interesting DC. I do think our offense needs a refocus. I realize we lost all those runningbacks but the 100 WR screens that never worked got old quickly and no one seemed to ever settle Jay down once he went south during a game. Please, please, please Pat if Spags isn't our guy bring in an equally exciting DC to pair with McDaniels (Ryan, morris etc...)

BroncoMan4ever
01-10-2009, 02:32 PM

not if the reports of him wanting Capers as our DC are true. then we will be in the exact same situation next season as we were this year. great offense, garbage defense, watching the playoffs at home.

tsiguy96
01-10-2009, 02:35 PM

thank you!!!!

there should be absolutely no bitching about who we hire UNTIL we see what tehy bring to the table.

tsiguy96
01-10-2009, 02:39 PM
you sky is falling people need to realize if spags appeared to be an awesome HC and was doing better then tehse guys, he would still be in contention (and may still be, we dont know for sure)

he must not have been as impressive as the others, and for that im glad hes still not in contention, bowlen is looking for the best guy, and if spags isnt it we have no reason to hire him. hes a GREAT dc, but maybe not so much a HC? well find out.

Chris
01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Since when did frazier become everyone's darling?

TonyR
01-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I was excited about Spagnuolo because I thought our defense may finally be built up the way we have always wanted it. If we hire McDaniels I'm hoping for an equally interesting DC. I do think our offense needs a refocus. I realize we lost all those runningbacks but the 100 WR screens that never worked got old quickly and no one seemed to ever settle Jay down once he went south during a game. Please, please, please Pat if Spags isn't our guy bring in an equally exciting DC to pair with McDaniels (Ryan, morris etc...)

Good post, of sums up close to how I feel. Maybe McDaniels is exactly what Jay and this offense needs, and maybe whoever the DC turns out to be will be exactly what the D needs.

tsiguy96
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Good post, of sums up close to how I feel. Maybe McDaniels is exactly what Jay and this offense needs, and maybe whoever the DC turns out to be will be exactly what the D needs.

werd. everyone needs to calm the hell down about whoever gets hired and give them a chance to settle in and see what they can do.

TDmvp
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
What a great idea. Fire Shanahan to hire someone you hope will become as good as Shanahan someday.

Bowlen you gutless drunk.

brilliant isn't it ?

lex
01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
you sky is falling people need to realize if spags appeared to be an awesome HC and was doing better then tehse guys, he would still be in contention (and may still be, we dont know for sure)

he must not have been as impressive as the others, and for that im glad hes still not in contention, bowlen is looking for the best guy, and if spags isnt it we have no reason to hire him. hes a GREAT dc, but maybe not so much a HC? well find out.

Based on what, interviews? Thats silly. Spag's resume is on the field. No one cares or should care about the interview. What really sucks is that we've gone from Champ picking the Defensive Coordinator to Cutler picking the head coach. When we should be running the ball more, we'll be passing more. This really blows. Im starting to regret the day we drafted Cutler and I never thought Id say that.

Rock Chalk
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
McDaniels is the better hire by far IMHO over Frazier- I don't believe McDaniels would scrap our offensive system- just tweak some things- he may not believe in running the ball as much as Shannahan does- but then again the NFL has changed since 1995 and all the rules are geared towards teams passing the ball- so why not?

Defensively- Frazier worries me- see Montrose's thread on the underachieving Viking D. McDaniels started out as a defensive coach and did well as a DB coach.

Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, you know, the ones that are successful, you have (I havent looked at the scores today so if some have been eliminated point is valid).

Tennessee - run first team
Baltimore - run first team
Pittsburgh - run first team
NY Giants - run first team
Carolina - run first team
San Diego - fairly balanced
Arizona - Pass heavy (and down with SD as far as best teams in the playoffs)
Philly - Fairly balanced with Westbrook leans towards run.

Only one team that passes a lot made it to the divisional round. 5 of the 8 teams that made it here are heavily geared towards the run nad have monster defense. 1 team (SD) has a **** defense but has a pro-bowl QB and a quirky little ****er in Sproles who is hard to tackle. Philly is the most balanced team of the bunch, and when Westbrook is healthy is a run oriented team.

The rules have changed to help the passing offense, sure, but the rules of who wins in the playoffs hasn't. Run teams with good defenses, period.

Popps
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Frazier supposedly puts together excellent defensive game plans. My guess is that a signing like that keeps Dennison and Bates in place in some regard.

I'd prefer Spags, but I think this would be my next choice at this stage. It'll take a lot to screw up our offense. I think any smart coach will come in and work with what's already in place. However, it'll take a real miracle-worker to get our D competitive. So, let's hire the most qualified person to get that done.

Rock Chalk
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Based on what, interviews? Thats silly. Spag's resume is on the field. No one cares or should care about the interview. What really sucks is that we've gone from Champ picking the Defensive Coordinator to Cutler picking the head coach. When we should be running the ball more, we'll be passing more. This really blows. Im starting to regret the day we drafted Cutler and I never thought Id say that.

Right because ****ing up an interview will still get you any job you apply for.

Might be the dumbest post of the day.

Arkansas Bronco
01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Coach Leslie?!? Something just seems wrong with that.

lex
01-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Right because ****ing up an interview will still get you any job you apply for.

Might be the dumbest post of the day.

No, whats more retarded is your response and your dimwitted attempt to make a comparison. Not many jobs do you see someones handiwerk the way you do in the NFL. No one at work every says, "hey, did you see that sales presentation on Fox this past weekend?" But anyone with any sense is smart enough to realize how feeble your comparison is. Congrats for being among the dumbest on the board.

minibronco
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Can't we have both (inc. Spags) as DC/HC?

Rock Chalk
01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
No, whats more retarded is your response and your dimwitted attempt to make a comparison. Not many jobs do you see someones handiwerk the way you do in the NFL. No one at work every says, "hey, did you see that sales presentation on Fox this past weekend?" But anyone with any sense is smart enough to realize how feeble your comparison is. Congrats for being among the dumbest on the board.

You are an idiot.

If I am interviewing for a head coaching job and the guy absolutely sucks in the interview, I have no confidence in him to do the job on the field as a HC ESPECIALLY considering NOT ONE of these candidates has been a HC before so they better come prepared.

Interviews say a lot about the person. If they are not prepared to get a high-paying high-profile job with a great company (in this case the Broncos) then how the **** are they going to be prepared to coach the football team and get them ready on game days?

You are a complete tool and moron if you think no one should care about the interview process in ANY job. If you get an interview dip****, you are qualified for the position. THE POINT of the interview is to impress the boss more than the other candidates.

SureShot
01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, you know, the ones that are successful, you have (I havent looked at the scores today so if some have been eliminated point is valid).

Only one team that passes a lot made it to the divisional round. 5 of the 8 teams that made it here are heavily geared towards the run nad have monster defense. 1 team (SD) has a **** defense but has a pro-bowl QB and a quirky little ****er in Sproles who is hard to tackle. Philly is the most balanced team of the bunch, and when Westbrook is healthy is a run oriented team.

The rules have changed to help the passing offense, sure, but the rules of who wins in the playoffs hasn't. Run teams with good defenses, period.

I agree on the need for a balanced offense but the Eagles are far from a balanced offense (59% pass) and the Steelers pass percentage is higher than the Chargers (55-53%). I think you have to play to your strengths and with the best pass blocking oline in the league and a great core of offensive skill players you don't try to be something you are not. It will be interesting to see what this offense looks like with a healthy Hillis next year.

lex
01-10-2009, 03:36 PM
You are an idiot.

If I am interviewing for a head coaching job and the guy absolutely sucks in the interview, I have no confidence in him to do the job on the field as a HC ESPECIALLY considering NOT ONE of these candidates has been a HC before so they better come prepared.

Interviews say a lot about the person. If they are not prepared to get a high-paying high-profile job with a great company (in this case the Broncos) then how the **** are they going to be prepared to coach the football team and get them ready on game days?

You are a complete tool and moron if you think no one should care about the interview process in ANY job. If you get an interview dip****, you are qualified for the position. THE POINT of the interview is to impress the boss more than the other candidates.

Ive noticed a lot that posters in Kansas like to beat the other guy to the punch by beiing the first to call them an idiot. And then they typically just posture around that, much as youre doing here. Maybe its just you that I see this from every time but it seems like some other poster from Kansas uses this caveman tactic as well. I guess thats what you do when no one lives within five miles of you.

Taco John
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I'd much rather have Frazier than McDaniels. I don't want any 32 year old coach. That'd be ridiculous.

Taco John
01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Ive noticed a lot that posters in Kansas like to beat the other guy to the punch by beiing the first to call them an idiot. And then they typically just posture around that much as youre doing here. Maybe its just you I see this from every time but it seems like some other poster from Kansas uses this caveman tactic as well. I guess thats what you do when no one lives within five miles of you.

Give him a break. He's insecure and needs a hard edge as a defense mechanism to hide it.

TonyR
01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Im starting to regret the day we drafted Cutler and I never thought Id say that.

You'll need to flesh this one out a little bit more for us.

Play2win
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Possible reasons:

Maybe Mr. Bowlen is a little gun-shy, because Spags reminds him a little to much of, uRP, Dan Reeves...

Or he thinks the offense might turn into a "Reeve's Offense" with Spags at the helm... just a thought...

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe Mr. Bowlen is a little gun-shy, because Spags reminds him a little to much of, uRP, Dan Reeves...

Or he thinks the offense might turn into a "Reeve's Offense" with Spags at the helm... just a thought...

Or he has a hard on for NE asst's like alot of people do.

Wasn't Reeves an offensive guy?

Play2win
01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Or he has a hard on for NE asst's like alot of people do.

Wasn't Reeves an offensive guy?

Only in the POOREST sense of the word...

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM

You could be right who knows.

Play2win
01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Just think of it as THE DRAFT before THE DRAFT... HC is our 1st rounder... DC is our 2nd rounder... OC (unless BATES) is our 3rd rounder...

Then in 3 months we get to DO IT ALL AGAIN... !Booya! :militia: !Booya!

East
01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
It's all about who is the best head coach. The head coach doesn't run the defense the D-Cord does. If Denver grabs a good head coach he will bring in a good D-Cord.

With that being said I am skeptical about McDaniels IF he bring Dom "1-15 Dolphins D-Cord with Jason Taylor" Capers. However, if McDaniels brings in Romeo Crennel why would Denver say no?

MechanicalBull
01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
McDANIELS, FRAZIER THE FAVORITES IN DENVER?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2009, 12:00 p.m. EST

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Broncos might have cut their list to two.

I hate this kind of journalism. You cover yourself if they did cut it down to two and if they didn't cut it down to two. Either you know or you don't know.

Why not just say Denver MIGHT hire Shanahan back or the Broncos MIGHT sign Peppers and Haynesworth in the offseason?

Ironlung
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Ive noticed a lot that posters in Kansas like to beat the other guy to the punch by beiing the first to call them an idiot. And then they typically just posture around that, much as youre doing here. Maybe its just you that I see this from every time but it seems like some other poster from Kansas uses this caveman tactic as well. I guess thats what you do when no one lives within five miles of you.

State smack?? Weak state smack at that. Yah budy nuthen bhut weet feelds az fahr aes teh i cahn cee. Just stick to cryin about Bowlen blowin it, Douche.

lex
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
State smack?? Weak state smack at that. Yah budy nuthen bhut weet feelds az fahr aes teh i cahn cee. Just stick to cryin about Bowlen blowin it, Douche.

Do you have chickens in your front yard...? Do you wear shoes around your front yard...? Have you ever eaten Tumbleweed Soup...? Im guessing yes.

Ironlung
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Do you have chickens in your front yard...? Do you wear shoes around your front yard...? Have you ever eaten Tumbleweed Soup...? Im guessing yes.

hilarious! I didnt think you could do worse than your last weak attempt but congrats. As if illinois is the place to be. Is this about Bill Self? Let it go. Look I dont care enough to post back and forth all night so like I said go back to whinin & STFU.

lex
01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
hilarious! I didnt think you could do worse than your last weak attempt but congrats. As if illinois is the place to be. Is this about Bill Self? Let it go. Look I dont care enough to post back and forth all night so like I said go back to whinin & STFU.

You do realize that this is the same kind of stuff I was talking about with the other Kansas guy...pre-emptive posturing.

BTW, is your car made out of sod? LOL. I can do this all day.

tsiguy96
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM

2 down...

lex
01-10-2009, 09:16 PM
2 down...

Thats stupid. Tennessee was beaten by another run first team. Did you think the game would somehow end in a tie? Pointing this out as you have is all kinds of dumb. And in the other game, Jake Delhomme lost the game for Carolina with 5 INTs and a fumble, which actually speaks to the value of having a running game. When you pass 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
When you pass 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

Ok that sounds like something Herm Edwards would say, in fact I have heard him say that before.
You shouldnt run the ball because you are scared of making a mistake if you throw

2KBack
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
2 down...

Arizona won today with defense, and Rushing more than passing to a tune of 42-32 attempts.

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Arizona won today with defense, and Rushing more than passing to a tune of 42-32 attempts.

Their running game did not win them the game.
Their defense and Larry Fitzgerald did

TonyR
01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
...which actually speaks to the value of having a running game.

Fyi, Carolina had the 3rd best rushing attack in the NFL...

Ironlung
01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
You do realize that this is the same kind of stuff I was talking about with the other Kansas guy...pre-emptive posturing.

BTW, is your car made out of sod? LOL. I can do this all day.

Car made of sod? wtf are you talking about? I think RC was right. You're an idiot. BTW theres a pic of my car on this site.:thumbsup:

lex
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok that sounds like something Herm Edwards would say, in fact I have heard him say that before.
You shouldnt run the ball because you are scared of making a mistake if you throw

Wow, another KS guy. You guys are really coming out of the woodwork in fool force tonight. No, it doesnt mean "dont pass".

lex
01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Car made of sod? wtf are you talking about? I think RC was right. You're an idiot. BTW theres a pic of my car on this site.:thumbsup:

You never answered my other questions. Do you eat tumbleweed soup?

Rank&File
01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm sure Spags is still at the top or near the top of the list...He has been a little busy this week, you know preparing for a game? I think it will be MickyD though

BroncoBuff
01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Do you have chickens in your front yard...? Do you wear shoes around your front yard...? Have you ever eaten Tumbleweed Soup...? Im guessing yes.Ladies and gentlemen ... please welcome Br0nc0buster and Ath20-27!

twang twang twang ....

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/247/stewiebanjomdqj1.jpg
. . . ."Warm out today"

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/284350.png
. . .."Warm yesterday"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idb8PmSBN6k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idb8PmSBN6k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
. . . . . . . . ."even warmer today."

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow, another KS guy. You guys are really coming out of the woodwork in fool force tonight. No, it doesnt mean "dont pass".

wow, I havent kept a secret I am from KS
The only person I have ever heard say that quote was Herm Edwards, who runs a pussy run run pass punt offense because he likes to play ball control and use his offense for field position.
That is definitely what he meant when he said it.

Besides if you are suggesting you MUST have a great running game to win the SB, that would be an incorrect assumption.
The Patriots won 3 SBs and got to another with a pass first offense.
The Steelers in the playoffs the year they won it all passed more than they ran.

Br0nc0Buster
01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Ladies and gentlemen ... please welcome Br0nc0buster and Ath20-27!

twang twang twang ....

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/247/stewiebanjomdqj1.jpg
. . . ."Warm out today"

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/284350.png
. . .."Warm yesterday"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idb8PmSBN6k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idb8PmSBN6k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
. . . . . . . . ."even warmer today."

Well I am not sure how it is in Western Kansas, but not so much like that in Eastern Kansas. Besides I thought that episode took place in Louisiana, which is much much more hick than Kansas. I lived there as well.

Broncoman13
01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
McDaniels is the CHOICE!!!

Broncoman13
01-10-2009, 10:10 PM
oops wrong thread, heading over to the Lightrail thread now. ;D

Rohirrim
01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Frazier is Number 21.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jYveXNuIqGM

lex
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Fyi, Carolina had the 3rd best rushing attack in the NFL...

And they lost because they threw 5 INTs. Wasnt this mentioned already?

colonelbeef
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Agree.

This is disheartening. All of the apparent top 3 are depressing, including Spagnulo.

tsiguy96
01-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Agree.

This is disheartening. All of the apparent top 3 are depressing, including Spagnulo.

lets wait until we see what they can do ;)

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Nobody knows the answer to this and it's all speculation anyway so why get bummed out over nothing?

It's gonne be Urban Meyer... ;D

SoCalBronco
01-11-2009, 12:12 AM
. When you pass 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

My old high school coach, Jon Dimalante, used to say that, too.

But that view was correct only in the most hyper technical and simplistic of ways. If we were to really view things that way, one could say the exact same thing about the run game. After all, you can either fumble the ball, gain yards or lose yards and two of those are bad. Like the statement on the passing game, that is a very simplistic statement that has little value, which illustrates the point.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Nobody knows the answer to this and it's all speculation anyway so why get bummed out over nothing?

It's gonne be Urban Meyer... ;D

God, I can only hope... He does strike me as a young Shanny. He is obviously gifted in many aspects that make up a good Head Coach.

Its just that he is in a great situation, its very hard to see him leave that.

Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops. All BMOC... All three can write their own ticket, and it will take one hell of a situation to pull them away from where they're at.

Florida_Bronco
01-11-2009, 12:28 AM
God, I can only hope... He does strike me as a young Shanny. He is obviously gifted in many aspects that make up a good Head Coach.

Its just that he is in a great situation, its very hard to see him leave that.

Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops. All BMOC... All three can write their own ticket, and it tell one hell of a situation to pull them away from where there at.

I don't want Urban Meyer anywhere near this team, same with Pete Carroll. Carroll has already bombed at the pro level and Meyer's offense would not translate well to the pro level.

Let them stay down in the college ranks.

DB_champ24
01-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't want Urban Meyer anywhere near this team, same with Pete Carroll. Carroll has already bombed at the pro level and Meyer's offense would not translate well to the pro level.

Ya, seriously.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Urban's System is quite different than what it was at UTAH. He seems to be someone who can be quite versatile and make changes on the fly and develop a system around the talent that he has. But, I don't think he is going anywhere.

Carroll is a much different (READ: Better) coach than he was at the Jets. He has got to work with a few top notch offensive minds. Norm Chow being one. But he, especially, is going NOWHERE... Plus he is much better with college kids, Rah-Rah, and all that...

I am leaning towards McDaniels, IF we get a good DC... Hopefully 3-4... I think its also time for POWER/SIZE over just pure speed-- especially on Defense if we go 3-4....

Like I said before this is THE DRAFT... Before THE DRAFT... ;D

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 12:40 AM
I love you idiots. You pretend to know who that best candidates are, but not the slightest clue how the interviews went or the proper skill set to be a head coach. Go ahead and cry and piss and moan lex, etc....None of you have a frickin clue.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I love you idiots. You pretend to know who that best candidates are, but not the slightest clue how the interviews went or the proper skill set to be a head coach. Go ahead and cry and piss and moan lex, etc....None of you have a frickin clue.

I don't pretent anything... I know I don't have a clue... Just like the Draft, I don't REALLY have a clue on which players are going to be good in the pros...

That doesn't mean we still can't pick favorites, tho'... ;D

Play2win
01-11-2009, 12:48 AM

It appears your animosity for Florida knows no bounds... ;D

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't pretent anything... I know I don't have a clue... Just like the Draft, I don't REALLY have a clue on which players are going to be good in the pros...

That doesn't mean we still can't pick favorites, tho'... ;D

Sure, that's a healthy attitude, but it is just silly and pathetic the way lex and others piss and moan and pretend they are Miss Cleo...it HAS to be MY candidate or the franchise will fall into oblivion. It HAS to be a HC with a defensive background...it's IMPOSSIBLE the an offensive background coach could bring in a quality DC and field a solid defense. The hand wringing is hilarious.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I know this much: putting an inexperienced coach like McDaniels in charge of a young, immature team is a stupid idea.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I know this much: putting an inexperienced coach like McDaniels in charge of a young, immature team is a stupid idea.

Just as it was a stupid idea to put that young guy Shanahan in charge, right?

Play2win
01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Sure, that's a healthy attitude, but it is just silly and pathetic the way lex and others piss and moan and pretend they are Miss Cleo...it HAS to be MY candidate or the franchise will fall into oblivion. It HAS to be a HC with a defensive background...it's IMPOSSIBLE the an offensive background coach could bring in a quality DC and field a solid defense. The hand wringing is hilarious.

I know, I know. it is soooo grating at times...

There are some people who love to tell other people how they should think, "I'm right, and everybody else is wrong", and all that jazz...

I just laugh it off... The really funny thing about it is, we are all watching the same games and the same TV broadcasts... its kinda funny actually...

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Just as it was a stupid idea to put that young guy Shanahan in charge, right?

Shanahan was 42 when the Broncos hired him as HC...

SureShot
01-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Meyer's offense would not translate well to the pro level.

Let them stay down in the college ranks.Thats exactly the wrong approach. This offense has no ceiling with Meyer at the helm. If you thought Shanny was burned out and his time was up Meyer is the next Shanahan. He is an innovator that can adjust to his personel.Unfortunately if he was hired I dont think he would be given the patience needed.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Shanahan was 42 when the Broncos hired him as HC...

What does age have to do with it? Tomlin has done OK, I'd say.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Thats exactly the wrong approach. This offense has no ceiling with Meyer at the helm. If you thought Shanny was burned out and his time was up Meyer is the next Shanahan. He is an innovator that can adjust to his personel.Unfortunately if he was hired I dont think he would be given the patience needed.

What 2 years? Thats all its taken at his previous stops... ;D

Florida_Bronco
01-11-2009, 01:10 AM
It appears your animosity for Florida knows no bounds... ;D

Especially now that I have to put up with all the ****ing bandwagon Gator fans.

I hate this state.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
What does age have to do with it? Tomlin has done OK, I'd say.

:rofl:

What does that have to do with it? That's the whole point. McDaniels is 32. Shanahan was 42. That's a decades worth of experience difference.

Tomlin is 37. That's a half decades worth of experience difference. 37 is as young as I'd personally be comfortable with - that's the age Gruden was when he started.

It's insane to put a 32 year old as the head coach of a franchise. You're betting against the odds. Maybe the kid can beat those odds. But it's still a huge gamble.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:12 AM
"what does age have to do with it?"

What a stupid question...

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 01:14 AM

What does that have to do with it? That's the whole point. McDaniels is 32. Shanahan was 42. That's a decades worth of experience difference.

Tomlin is 37. That's a half decades worth of experience difference. 37 is as young as I'd personally be comfortable with - that's the age Gruden was when he started.

It's insane to put a 32 year old as the head coach of a franchise. You're betting against the odds. Maybe the kid can beat those odds. But it's still a huge gamble.

Tomlin was 34 when hired, asshole. Wow, two whole years.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 01:15 AM
"what does age have to do with it?"

What a stupid question...

Yeah, it is stupid that I would have to ask that. Recent history shows it means little.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah, it is stupid that I would have to ask that. Recent history shows it means little.

Not if you're judging by championships. Which apparently, you're not.

Downplay experience all you want, but when it comes to winning Superbowls, in the last decade, it seems to mean the world.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Not if you're judging by championships. Which apparently, you're not.

Downplay experience all you want, but when it comes to winning Superbowls, it seems to mean the world.

We weren't going to win a championship anytime soon with Shanny as GM. He can't build a defense. And, gee, odd that young coaches have yet to win championships. They are so old and all Ha!

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Downplay experience all you want, but when it comes to winning Superbowls, in the last decade, it seems to mean the world.

Not really. Defense means the most. Billick was a first year coach. Gruden was what, third or fourth year and still in his 30s?

SureShot
01-11-2009, 01:25 AM
What 2 years? Thats all its taken at his previous stops... ;D

The D is that bad but the offense could be out of this world.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Not really. Defense means the most. Billick was a first year coach. Gruden was what, third or fourth year and still in his 30s?

Billick was the only coach in the last decade to win a Superbowl who didn't have any prior head coaching experience. Gruden had previous coaching experience with the Raiders when he won the Superbowl with the Bucs...

You can downplay it all you want, but facts are facts.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Billick was the only coach in the last decade to win a Superbowl who didn't have any prior head coaching experience. Gruden had previous coaching experience with the Raiders when he won the Superbowl with the Bucs...

You can downplay it all you want, but facts are facts.

Cowher went from Cleveland DC to Pittsburgh HC.

But that was 12 years before he won the big game.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Cowher went from Cleveland DC to Pittsburgh HC.

But that was 12 years before he won the big game.

14 years.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Eh. He still wasn't a HC before then.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Eh. He still wasn't a HC before then.

It's hardly the point. He was a veteran coach when he led his team to the Superbowl. You can play footsie over the fact that he was a coordinator if you want, but it still took him 14 years to build a team to win it all - including a 3 year stretch at the end of the 90's where he missed the playoffs 3 years in a row during a rebuilding phase - that second phase being the critical phase for their Superbowl quest.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 01:38 AM
If you throw that out then you can throw out Gruden's and Shanahan's short head coaching tenures before coming to the teams where they won the big one.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 01:41 AM
If you throw that out then you can throw out Gruden's and Shanahan's short head coaching tenures before coming to the teams where they won the big one.

Huh?

I'm not throwing anything out. Cowher was a veteran head coach when he won the Superbowl.

Kid A
01-11-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm guessing you didn't vote Obama... ;D

Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from in terms of preferring someone who has been around NFL players a longer time, but don't you think some intangibles (leadership skills, ability to bond with players, motivational ability) can transcend age or experience?

I'll grant you that there are some risk factors involved in bringing in a 32 year old guy. If he goes on the podium for his first presser and comes across like Lane Kiffin (i.e. out of his depth, "what the hell am I supposed to say?" look) your worst fears may be confirmed. But if he has the presence to lead an NFL team (which I assume Bowlen and Co. would be evaluating), then I don't see age as that big an issue.

Hiring any first-time HC requires taking a gamble (which is probably largely why you hated the firing in the first place). I guess I just don't see age or experience as being that huge of a risk factor if he shows in the interview process the competency and skill set that the FO is looking for.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Taco, what do we always hear people bitch and moan about here about our free agents? "Quit hiring retreads and journeymen!" And now you're saying that's what you would do for the Head Coaching position?

You don't need to have prior head coaching experience to win in the NFL anymore. Look at Tony Sporano. John Harbaugh. Mike Smith. Mike Tomlin. Ken Whisenhunt. Brad Childress. 6 of the 12 playoff teams this year were/are coached by guys who never had any prior head coaching experience and were hired in the last 3 years, including 3 rookie coaches!

Your reasoning is that "they've learned from their mistakes so they can be a better coach." Yeah. That really works. Norv Turner really learned from his previous 2 ****ups. He's taken a nasty 14-2 team and made them a powderpuff 8-8 squad in two seasons. Why don't we hire Jim Haslett? He's screwed up in two different places. Brian Billick? Was he mediocre enough in Baltimore to make you feel that he's learned his lesson?

The firing of Mike Shanahan was meant to bring in fresh ideas. A new culture in Denver. It's exciting, at least to me. And you want to bring in retreads and journeymen because they've screwed up in previous places and you feel that it's a plus?

Taco John
01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Like I say.... downplay experience all you want. But winning the Superbowl is what speaks the loudest, and there aren't any 32 year old head coaches who have won any Superbowls.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Especially now that I have to put up with all the ****ing bandwagon Gator fans.

I hate this state.

Did you not catch the Tombstone reference... :~ohyah!:

cartel
01-11-2009, 06:27 AM
If Mcdaniels can turn Cutler into Brady, Marshall into Moss, Royal into Welker, and hire a decent DC, I'm all in. I would rather have him instead of Frazier who has been unimpressive as DC in Cincy and Minnesota. Cincy sucked pretty bad when he was there and I'm not quite sold on the Vikings D. Mcdaniels offense broke records and if he could do it here, I've changed my mind on going defense.

broncofan7
01-11-2009, 07:57 AM
If Mcdaniels can turn Cutler into Brady, Marshall into Moss, Royal into Welker, and hire a decent DC, I'm all in. I would rather have him instead of Frazier who has been unimpressive as DC in Cincy and Minnesota. Cincy sucked pretty bad when he was there and I'm not quite sold on the Vikings D. Mcdaniels offense broke records and if he could do it here, I've changed my mind on going defense.

True dat.

http://www.coachescorner.com/n_input/nnweb/scores/header_nfl_def_rank.htm

2003-04 season

28th CIN 350.8yds 138.0rush yds 4.79y/r 212.8ps/yds 81.7qb rating 30 sacks 41.3 3rd down % 24.0 /pts/gm

17 CIN 335.3 128.9 4.35 206.4 77.43 37 36.7 30:39 23.2

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Like I say.... downplay experience all you want. But winning the Superbowl is what speaks the loudest, and there aren't any 32 year old head coaches who have won any Superbowls.

Well, if your argument is that McDaniels is not likely to come in his first year and win a championship, you're right. Of course, the same would be true if we brought in a veteran coach. Of course a coach usually has a few years under his belt before winning a championship. That's just sheer odds. But the fact is recent history shows young coaches having immediate success. And "winning a championship" is not the only way to measure success. Turning a 1-15 team into an 11-5 team is quite a success story.