PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan fired as Broncos coach

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Atchison Ks Over the past few years, Mike Shanahan, the vice president of football operations, didn't do Mike Shanahan, the coach, any favors.

In the end, both got served .

The Denver Broncos parted ways with Shanahan on Tuesday following a late-season fizzle that knocked the team out of the postseason for a 3rd straight season.

The collapse was complete with a 52-21 debacle at San Diego, with the Chargers rallying for the AFC West crown as Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left.

A dreadful defense one built by Shanahan, the personnel man was mostly to blame.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," said owner Pat Bowlen, whose team finished 8-8.

Shanahan had a good run in Denver, leading the Broncos to two Super Bowl victories behind the legs of Terrell Davis and the arm of John Elway.

But life without Elway wasn't all that rosy; the Broncos have won only one playoff game since No. 7 retired after the second championship.

Over the past 10 years, Shanahan burned through three quarterbacks, five defensive coordinators 4 calling birds and untold millions of dollars trying to get the Broncos back to the top. It didn't work.

The latest, most serious problem was the defense. Coordinator Bob Slowik attempted a different scheme seemingly every week 3-4, 4-3, blitzes, zones, etc. but the lack of talent was something no coach or scheme could overcome. Denver finished 29th in overall defense and last, at minus-17, in turnover margin.

It was Shanahan, in charge of every aspect of the Broncos, who put together the defense. This year, in his latest attempt to fix things, he brought in Boss Bailey, Niko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson in the offseason. But Bailey got hurt, Koutouvides couldn't get on the field even with injuries at linebacker and Robertson wasn't much help on the defensive line.

The team also said goodbye to John Lynch in training camp but free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree weren't the solutions at safety. Cornerback Champ Bailey had his worst season ever, missing almost two months after tearing a groin at New England in October and never regaining his All-Pro form.

"I'm part of the defense that didn't play well," defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban said. "You feel a little like it's your fault for what happened."

The 2008 Broncos also had a slew of injuries in the backfield seven were placed on injured reserve.

But churning out tailbacks has never been Shanahan's problem. Davis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell were all unheralded. All ran for 1,000 yards for the Broncos, leading to the notion that anyone could gain yardage in Shanahan's system.

Given all the ailments, some of the Broncos figured he'd get a pass for this season.

Didn't happen.

Shanahan and Bowlen were scheduled to hold news conferences Wednesday. Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

"The Broncos have had so much success under his tenure, you felt like he had it until he wanted to stop," said Spencer Larsen, a rookie fullback and linebacker. "I thought he was tremendous. Great person. He was always true to his word. He had a very good handle on the whole organization."

Shanahan went 146-91 in 14 seasons with Denver, including the playoffs. However, he was a pedestrian 24-24 over the last three seasons.

The new coach coming in will have pieces to work with the offense is fully loaded. With Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, rookie wideout Eddie Royal and a young offensive line, the Broncos finished with the second-best offense in the league.

It's that defense that needs work. The Broncos gave up 448 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

Defensive deficiencies aside, Ekuban thinks the team is on the right path.

"Whoever comes in is going to have a well-stocked team that should be ready to go," said Ekuban, a pending free agent who hopes to be back. "As any year, some things are going to change. But I wouldn't touch that offense ... They did a tremendous job. Wish we could've helped."

The ousting of Shanahan came as a shock in Denver.

Bowlen has remained fiercely loyal to Shanahan over the years, viewing him as a coach who constantly redefined his operation to keep up with the ever-evolving league.

So entrenched was Shanahan, he's building a 35,000-square-foot house in a posh part of Denver, the mansion complete with a bowling alley and racquetball court.

Now he's out of a job at least temporarily.

Shanahan went on the air last summer to declare Denver would make the playoffs in 2008, a brash prediction from the calculating coach.

It backfired.

Rabb
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
holy **** he was fired!?!?!?!

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
sry if it is a repost

"People from the south like to say "that dog won't hunt" I am afraid to tell them that the dog is infact, dead -Hellen Keller"

Hotrod
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Link

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
the link is when you go to yahoo sports and type in mike fired

When you are looking for meximelt, sometimes you find nacho's -robert frost

PRBronco
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
What the **** is going on in here?

LonghornBronco
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
100 post rule! Justified once again.....

Hotrod
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I aint buying this until I see proof

broncofan7
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I like pie.

bowtown
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Taco is going to lose his mind when he hears this.

Rohirrim
Dude's got 96 posts in five years. :nutkick

TheReverend
I'm a little disappointed in Demon Eagles. This is WAY below your caliber. I opened the thread expecting some mood-lightening photos and all I get are ****ty quotes.

"Don't eat Mexican before your prostate exam"-Thomas Jefferson, Aug 11th, 1784

"Oops. I should've listened to Thomas Jefferson" Ben Franklin, Aug 12th 1784

TonyR
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/local/shanahan.fireed.broncos.2.897334.html

In case anybody really gives a shat about a link.

Dagmar
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Is there going to be a press conference? I bet he tears Pat a new one.

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Rohirrim
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Why doesn't Pat interview Foneco?

Hotrod
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Someone should start a thread about possible new coach interviews and such.

bowtown
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Someone should start a thread about possible new coach interviews and such.

I hope it's Cowher!

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
hopefully the editorial I posted provides an interesting slant on the firing

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
mstufferson

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
hopefully the editorial I posted provides an interesting slant on the firing

What "interesting slant" do you speak of? Aside from perhaps the EE quotes, which were hardly mind-blowing, it's nothing we haven't read 1,000 times already.

HEAV
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
WOW! Right before NewYears and all!

OBF1
01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I heard it was because he would not fire slowik.

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
What "interesting slant" do you speak of? Aside from perhaps the EE quotes, which were hardly mind-blowing, it's nothing we haven't read 1,000 times already.

well I will bold the ones I thought were good
Atchison Ks Over the past few years, Mike Shanahan, the vice president of football operations, didn't do Mike Shanahan, the coach, any favors.

The Denver Broncos parted ways with Shanahan on Tuesday following a late-season fizzle that knocked the team out of the postseason for a 3rd straight season.

The collapse was complete with a 52-21 debacle at San Diego, with the Chargers rallying for the AFC West crown as Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left.

A dreadful defense one built by Shanahan, the personnel man was mostly to blame.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," said owner Pat Bowlen, whose team finished 8-8.

Shanahan had a good run in Denver, leading the Broncos to two Super Bowl victories behind the legs of Terrell Davis and the arm of John Elway.

But life without Elway wasn't all that rosy; the Broncos have won only one playoff game since No. 7 retired after the second championship.

Over the past 10 years, Shanahan burned through three quarterbacks, five defensive coordinators 4 calling birds and untold millions of dollars trying to get the Broncos back to the top. It didn't work.

The latest, most serious problem was the defense. Coordinator Bob Slowik attempted a different scheme seemingly every week 3-4, 4-3, blitzes, zones, etc. but the lack of talent was something no coach or scheme could overcome. Denver finished 29th in overall defense and last, at minus-17, in turnover margin.

It was Shanahan, in charge of every aspect of the Broncos, who put together the defense. This year, in his latest attempt to fix things, he brought in Boss Bailey, Niko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson in the offseason. But Bailey got hurt, Koutouvides couldn't get on the field even with injuries at linebacker and Robertson wasn't much help on the defensive line.

The team also said goodbye to John Lynch in training camp but free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree weren't the solutions at safety. Cornerback Champ Bailey had his worst season ever, missing almost two months after tearing a groin at New England in October and never regaining his All-Pro form.

"I'm part of the defense that didn't play well," defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban said. "You feel a little like it's your fault for what happened."

The 2008 Broncos also had a slew of injuries in the backfield seven were placed on injured reserve.

But churning out tailbacks has never been Shanahan's problem. Davis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell were all unheralded. All ran for 1,000 yards for the Broncos, leading to the notion that anyone could gain yardage in Shanahan's system.

Given all the ailments, some of the Broncos figured he'd get a pass for this season.

Didn't happen.

Shanahan and Bowlen were scheduled to hold news conferences Wednesday. Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

"The Broncos have had so much success under his tenure, you felt like he had it until he wanted to stop," said Spencer Larsen, a rookie fullback and linebacker. "I thought he was tremendous. Great person. He was always true to his word. He had a very good handle on the whole organization."

Shanahan went 146-91 in 14 seasons with Denver, including the playoffs. However, he was a pedestrian 24-24 over the last three seasons.

The new coach coming in will have pieces to work with the offense is fully loaded. With Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, rookie wideout Eddie Royal and a young offensive line, the Broncos finished with the second-best offense in the league.

It's that defense that needs work. The Broncos gave up 448 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

"Whoever comes in is going to have a well-stocked team that should be ready to go," said Ekuban, a pending free agent who hopes to be back. "As any year, some things are going to change. But I wouldn't touch that offense ... They did a tremendous job. Wish we could've helped."

Bowlen has remained fiercely loyal to Shanahan over the years, viewing him as a coach who constantly redefined his operation to keep up with the ever-evolving league.

So entrenched was Shanahan, he's building a 35,000-square-foot house in a posh part of Denver, the mansion complete with a bowling alley and racquetball court.

Shanahan went on the air last summer to declare Denver would make the playoffs in 2008, a brash prediction from the calculating coach.

It backfired.

bowtown
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
well I will bold the ones I thought were good

Didn't happen.

It backfired.

Outstanding. I hope to God you did that on purpose.

More pics please.

Hotrod
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Outstanding. I hope to God you did that on purpose.

More pics please.

LOL

baja
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
In other news Women got the vote in America.

HEAV
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
http://img168.imagevenue.com/loc729/th_66996_finger_122_729lo.JPG (http://img168.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66996_finger_122_729lo.JPG)http://img175.imagevenue.com/loc966/th_66996_fail_cat_122_966lo.jpg (http://img175.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66996_fail_cat_122_966lo.jpg)http://img200.imagevenue.com/loc89/th_66998_homerf_122_89lo.JPG (http://img200.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66998_homerf_122_89lo.JPG)http://img167.imagevenue.com/loc971/th_67010_shan_122_971lo.JPG (http://img167.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=67010_shan_122_971lo.JPG)

Rohirrim
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Hopefully, Pat calls Demon in to draw up the new defensive scheme.

Popcorn Sutton
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
In other news Women got the vote in America.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu1zy2MrsFM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu1zy2MrsFM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SureShot
01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Happy your dad!

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
go to advanced!

Ambiguous
01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Seriously WTF...

These are actually pretty funny. :D

bowtown
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Seriously WTF...

They are my favorite thing in the whole world. I'm really hoping for some depictions of the Shanahan firing and what exactly is going on behind closed doors at Dove Valley.

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
They are my favorite thing in the whole world.

And I thought Bob didn't get out much.....

TheReverend
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
And I thought Bob didn't get out much.....

I can think of things that I like more... but only like two or three things.

You're witnessing a modern day Michaelangelo.

Rohirrim
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Seriously WTF...

The birth of a new art form.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
THis guy is THE best off topic yet on topic poster on the Mane. He is the Picasso of Forums if you will.

SureShot
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Who does love excitebike?

We need some depictions of interviews as well.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Who does love excitebike?

We need some depictions of interviews as well.

I was playing me some excitebike last night!

baja
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I was playing me some excitebike last night!

Did you wash your hands good afterwards?

Natedog24
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
While we are off topic...
Random Image Dump:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/830897176_dad55f068d_o.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ZeForgotten/1191862800-1189254064763.jpg

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
make sure you tell all your friends and forward my nickname Demonpenz to everyone. I worked all hour on some of these. -demonpenz

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
scene 1

Pick Six
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
make sure you tell all your friends and forward my nickname Demonpenz to everyone. I worked all hour on some of these. -demonpenz

So, why don't you just change your name to demonpenz? One of the mods could do that for you...

DemonEagles
scene 2

TheReverend
LOL

That looks just like Mike.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
scene 1

Shamwow, I love it!

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
scene3

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:47 PM
scene 4

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
scene5

TheReverend
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Hmmmm... actually Demon, I was kinda hoping for something more along the lines of Airwolf blowing up Pat Bowlen.

Work your magic?

SureShot
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Riptide sighting! Awesome

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
noooooo!

TheReverend
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for my new background!

You are THE greatest.

:notworthy:

dbfan4life
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
THis guy is THE best off topic yet on topic poster on the Mane. He is the Picasso of Forums if you will.

Oleg's not the Picasso that Demon is but he's damn funny, too.

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
scene 7

TheReverend
01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Panourmos reference!

Steve Prefontaine
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm so happy I decided to open this thread.

Serious artistry. Well done sir.

Bronx33
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I aint buying this until I see proof

Iam with hotrod with this one something smells.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Oleg's not the Picasso that Demon is but he's damn funny, too.

Ah but Oleg is more the Shell Silverstein mixed with Shakespear and a dash of Cousin Balky of the Mane. His way with words are just magic.

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
day by day

bowtown
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Oh man, this thread is the best part of my year so far.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Holy **** we went from Shamwow to a snuggie. EPIC

SureShot
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Holy **** we went from Shamwow to a snuggie. EPIC

Awesomeness indeed. Do anyone know if you can get a snuggie made out of Shamwow?

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Awesomeness indeed. Do anyone know if you can get a snuggie made out of Shamwow?

I don't know but you damn well better pitch that to Billy Mays. That way you can pee and stay dry and warm. All while watching the football game in your ever so masculine snuggie.

Rohirrim
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Where's the part where Shanahan struggles with email?

SureShot
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't know but you damn well better pitch that to Billy Mays. That way you can pee and stay dry and warm. All while watching the football game in your ever so masculine snuggie.

You could sit on your couch and drink beer out of a hose with one of those things.

SureShot
01-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Where's the part where Shanahan struggles with email?

You mean where he tries to stuff letters in the floppy drive?

PRBronco
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Hahah holy crap, it's official, i have literally ROFL'd.

SureShot
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Where the **** is my slap chop reference?

"You'll love my nuts"

Broncosfreak_56
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MechanicalBull
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm trying to figure out which is better: The Shamwow reference or his Disguised Blitz from awhile back.

This is still one of the funniest pics I have seen.
Disguised Blitz
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=22414&stc=1&d=1225298691

theAPAOps5
01-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out which is better: The Shamwow reference or his Disguised Blitz from awhile back.

Disguised Blitz
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=22414&stc=1&d=1225298691

I completely forgot about the disguised blitz! I had to pee when you reposted that and had to run for the bathroom.

That is some funny ass ****.

Old No. 7
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
mstufferson

Master P strikes again!:rofl:

Los Broncos
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Just funny stuff man, airwolf drops him on the death star :rofl:

DemonEagles
01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
dd

Los Broncos
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice fat heads on NBA jam.

DemonEagles
01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
So people have been bitching that airwolf wouldn't be able to go into space. this is airwolf 2.0 we are talking about

Hotrod
01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
disguised blitz is one of the single best photo shop jobs EVER

SureShot
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Air Wolf ver 2.1 now with space nachos!

theAPAOps5
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Air Wolf ver 2.1 now with space nachos!

The space nacho compartment is golden.

DemonEagles
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
go go go

TheReverend
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I love that the KC logo is intentionally shaped like a steaming pile ****!

DemonEagles
01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I understand all the buttons at the bottom but one

Arkansas Bronco
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I heard Shanny got fired any truth to this? ???

baja
01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
reassigned

DemonEagles
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start NOT F'ING NESSESSARY

Taco John
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
It's Tebow and Jared Allen on a Contra box.

I don't get it.

theAPAOps5
01-08-2009, 02:51 PM
It's Tebow and Jared Allen on a Contra box.

I don't get it.

Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, start or something like that made you invincible. With those 2 you don't need that cheat.

Taco John
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Who needs super mushrooms when you've got Scott Pioli and Barack Obama's face pasted on the bodies of Mario and Luigi!?

DemonEagles
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Who needs super mushrooms when you've got Scott Pioli and Barack Obama's face pasted on the bodies of Mario and Luigi!?

:rofl:

TDmvp
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6762/ronmario2rt4.jpg

Taco John
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't even know what this means...

DemonEagles
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Well you see Michael you got to let the chickens cluck before they roast. Last time I checked, this was knight rider, no way around it michael, gotta go to work

Taco John
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
This is the greatest thing about gas. This is what the greatest thing about gas is:

YOU GAS UP TO DRIVE THE ROAD!

HELLO!?

baja
01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
maybe I'm getting old...

bowtown
01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I love that the KC logo is intentionally shaped like a steaming pile ****!

Possibly, but I think Demonpenzmay may have a little secret. I think his allegiances may fall squarely in that steaming pile of ****.

It's okay though, he rises above as far as I'm concerned.

theAPAOps5
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
maybe I'm getting old...

Maybe? :wiggle:

DemonEagles
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
yeah I am a chiefs fan, i love them.

DemonEagles
01-09-2009, 07:43 AM
going dutc

DemonEagles
01-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Man I hate those people. The best thing you can do is proactive against them. I went and got a hot pretzel one day after shopping at champs for a randle Cuttingham jersey. I knew what was coming, I saw two guys that look like the indian dude from van wilder and another girl that I swear rode in the magic carpet on aladdin. So anyway here these two guys come over "excuse me, excuse me" I slowly broke apart my pretzel (which had gotten hard because of the amount of time dunking on the lowered basketball rim in champs. They kept on walking up up me and I struck first. I flinged the prezels like damn ninja stars....Ninja mall pretzel stars and it took them both down. One of them got back up and the girl out of the group went over to this giant game board and put up a sign that said DEMONPENZ vs BADZIDAL like in kickboxer. We started to fight street fighter style (only if street fighter had a mall level. TOPSY'S POPCORN! I yelled out and I threw butter popcorn in his face, then went to a leg sweep and jumped off a instant photo booth an shoved cotton candy in his Wind pipe. ...

flawless victory

Ambiguous
01-09-2009, 08:01 AM
wat

baja
01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
can you put a thread on ignore?

Ambiguous
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
thread
=====
ignore

DemonEagles
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
stuff

tsiguy96
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Disguised Blitz

i just think everyone needs to see this picture again. one of the funniest pictures ive ever seen in my life.

DemonEagles
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
likes shamwows

Rausch 2.0
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM

That pic kicks all kinds of ass and pushes names to the side...