PDA

View Full Version : Cutler: "I think it's the wrong move."

montrose
12-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Our QB does not sound happy on CBS4.

http://cbs4denver.com/

colonelbeef
12-30-2008, 05:05 PM
yep, naturally. Shanahan and Cutler was a perfect match. With the wrong hire we could be looking at Reeves/Elway all over again.

Awful.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
yep, naturally. Shanahan and Cutler was a perfect match. With the wrong hire we could be looking at Reeves/Elway all over again.

Awful.

QFT

yup nice move letting him get all this young talent to groom and then fire him and F it all up ...

tsiguy96
12-30-2008, 05:08 PM
QFT

yup nice move letting him get all this young talent to groom and then fire him and F it all up ...

yea i dont get it...he just loaded up big time on young talent. if only he would let someone control the damn defense hed still be the coach

SureShot
Sureshot: "I think its the wrong move."

bloodsunday
It's the way of the NFL kid. Man up.

Has anybody noticed he doesn't host his own CBS show when they lose? Brandon Marshall shows up. It took me a while, but I am starting to wonder what makes him tick.

extralife
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Jay is really candid in this. Things are going to get ugly.

Bronx33
Get over it jay..

Gort
Cutler needs to grow the F up this offseason. there are 2 rookies QBs that have turned their franchises around in 2008 and led them to the playoffs (Flacco, Ryan). i believe Cutler is more talented that both of them, but has not performed nearly as well in his first 3 years. he needs to worry about himself and not who the HC will be.

Orange_Beard
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
What is Jay doing throwing Bowlen under the bus.....He should have his blood sugar checked.

orinjkrush
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
don't throw the owner under the bus, kid.

broncofan7
12-30-2008, 05:11 PM

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/broncos-cutler-shanahan-firing/

Cutler on Shanahan firing: 'I’m not pleased with it at all'
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published December 30, 2008 at 5:31 p.m.
Updated December 30, 2008 at 5:31 p.m.
Text size 4 Comments Email Print
More Denver BroncosBroncos fire coach Shanahan Tuesday morning quarterback: In the end, the Broncos simply didn't finish Slowik: No answer for Broncos' defensive woes More stories » ENGLEWOOD — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen stunned people across the NFL Tuesday by letting Mike Shanahan go.

And count a surprised, angered quarterback in Jay Cutler among them.

“I’m disappointed, I’m shocked, I’m not happy about it, I’m not pleased with it at all,” Cutler said by phone Tuesday. “We had zero inkling this was going to happen. I didn’t have a clue.”
Cutler said he met with Shanahan for about 30 minutes Monday before leaving town to discuss offseason plans as well as the direction the offense would take in the 2009 season.

This year, Cutler was selected for his first Pro Bowl after he set single-season franchise records in passing yards (4,526), total offense (4,726 yards), attempts (616) and completions (384) to go with 25 touchdowns, which tied him for the third-highest single-season total in Broncos history.

Cutler compiled those totals despite the team’s injury woes at running back. The Broncos placed seven running backs on injured reserve this season, five of whom had started at least one game.

It resulted in the lowest rushing total — 1,862 yards — in Shanahan’s 14-year tenure as the team’s coach. The previous low had been 1,864 yards in 1999 when the Broncos finished 6-10.

“I think with the offensive staff we had, we were moving ahead,” Cutler said. “I had just met with Mike to go over everything, talk about the things we wanted to do, make sure we were going the right way on offense.”

Cutler was particularly interested to hear what the fate of current quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates would be. Bates just finished his first year as the team’s play caller on game day.

Bates also recently turned down an offer from Lane Kiffin to be the offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee after Shanahan had extended Bates’ contract for two more seasons, through 2011.

“And he had an option to go to Tennessee, and maybe that’s still on the table for him,” Cutler said. “But to lose all of our offensive coaches, too, that would be a big thing. Guys like Jeremy (Bates), (receivers coach Jedd) Fisch, that would be a step back for us, in my mind.”

Already Tuesday, rumors were running rampant through the league the Broncos were going to seek a replacement with a background in offense to continue grooming Cutler.

The quarterback was the team’s top draft pick in 2006 and Shanahan said last week he believed Cutler’s season had been “incredible” and that the 25-year-old had the makeup “to win big games and be the kind of guy people in Denver are going to be happy to have for a long, long time.”

“I hope it all works out,” Cutler said. “But I know I’m disappointed, I’m not happy, and it’s a lot to think about. I just want to continue the things were able to do this year on offense and get better all the time.”

SoCalBronco
What would be ideal is for Jay to call Bowlen out in even more "candid" terms.

Bowlen needs to be humiliated for this. Publicly. I would love to see Cutler shove it right back in his face.

extralife
Why not? What is Bowlen going to do, fire Cutler too?

Taco John
Told you.

Kid A
12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Of course he's dissapointed--they were close. But, if the new coach fixes the defense (which Cutler has been outspoken in his disgust with) and the team gets better, I'm guessing he gets over it. It's a business and Cutler wants to win. If the new staff wins, nobody will be complaining.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Id be pissed if i was Jay as well ....
Had a great mentor a guy who could help him become elite , and now we are going to get some stop gap turd of a coach ...

colonelbeef
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM

The owner threw himself under the bus.

cutthemdown
firing shannahan is a big mistake

Popps
Told you.

Wow, I'm all broken up about Jay being unhappy.

Didn't he say he was "getting away for a while?" Shouldn't he be on a golf course somewhere not caring about all of this?

Jay will be fine. Again, he needs to learn to be a pro himself before he makes demands of everyone around him. Having physical tools doesn't make you a leader. it just means you were born lucky. Jay needs to work on Jay and let those qualified worry about team matters.

SureShot
Of course he's dissapointed--they were close. But, if the new coach fixes the defense (which Cutler has been outspoken in his disgust with) and the team gets better, I'm guessing he gets over it. It's a business and Cutler wants to win. If the new staff wins, nobody will be complaining.

Thats a big ****ing if.

12th man
seriously, how far back is this firing going to set us back? particulary on offense....ugh. I'm so depressed

yerner
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this. In the age of robotic, scripted non answers from athletes, Cutlers stands up and voices a sincere opinion. Its refreshing and brave.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
He didn't sound nearly as miffed as it reads ....

Shanahan to the Jets ?

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Told you.

You and Jay share the same issue...immaturity.

Almost like the kid that always has to get his way and if not, he takes his ball and goes home.

Dukes
12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Grow up Jay. Your career depends on it.

Kid A
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Thats a big ****ing if.

It was an if with Shanahan too. Could he turn around the defense? Track record wasn't so good. Not saying I'm crazy about the move, but you can't read a whole lot Cutler's reaction (OMFG Cutler is unhappy we fired Shanahan! The players obviously won't support the new staff!).

Broncojef
12-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Maybe someone will hold your ass accountable Jay, club med may well be over.

clint7
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Cutler speaks his mind...doesn't bs or go all PC. That's how he feels. He thinks it was wrong. So do others. Bowlen made his bed; he can now lie in it. He took a big risk in firing Mike, I'm sure he's praying it works out for him and his team.

bloodsunday
12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Jay is likely just shocked liked everyone else. If he gets a head coach that he likes, he may change his tune.

12th man
Grow up Jay. Your career depends on it.

what's wrong with what he said?

Broncojef
Why not? What is Bowlen going to do, fire Cutler too?

Other than tell us his arm was stronger than Elway's Cutler has proven crap as an NFL QB. Man up and perform before you feel the need to whine too loudly Jay.

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
From the other thread.
---------------

Shut up Jay. You play for the Denver Broncos, not the Denver Shanahan's.

Grow up kid, and you have alot of growing you need to do, and just sit back and be the team captain you are supposed to be.

It's more than just wearing a C on your chest kid.

You (Jay) need to learn a few things about being a NFL quarterback. Your not John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly. You are Jay nobody until you win.

So until then shut up and roll with it.

bloodsunday
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM

The problem is what has Cutler done to have this kinda clout? His mistakes may have even contributed to Shanny's firing.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
He'll get over it.

Popps
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Jay needs to worry about not throwing into heavy traffic or handing the ball to an oncoming lineman at crucial points in games.... not front office business.

I understand he may be upset. Tough. Suck it up, try to sound like a leader and give your teammates the impression that you'll rise above it instead of sounding like a pouty kid who's just been grounded.

bombay
The problem is what has Cutler done to have this kinda clout? His mistakes may have even contributed to Shanny's firing.

To some degree, at least. This wouldn't have happened had the Broncos made the playoffs.

Rigs11
What a freaking crybaby. Grow up cutler, stop your mopey ass crying. You get paid millions to win games.get it done

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM

If the new Coach doesnt work well with him he might just roll himself out of town.

Gort
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
seriously, how far back is this firing going to set us back? particulary on offense....ugh. I'm so depressed

are you kidding? this team went 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8 in the past 3 years and didn't win single game that truly mattered. that's .500 with an "offensive genius" as head coach. seems to me this offense is already far from elite. they were only #16 in points scored this season.

bloodsunday
12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Jay needs to worry about not throwing into heavy traffic or handing the ball to an oncoming lineman at crucial points in games.... not front office business.

I understand he may be upset. Tough. Suck it up, try to sound like a leader and give your teammates the impression that you'll rise above it instead of sounding like a pouty kid who's just been grounded.

Great post. One thing clearly needs to happen next year is for Jay to take another step forward. He needs to limit his mistakes and take on more of a leadership role.

extralife
You guys know how we all complain when atheletes give boring answers and never say anything of use?

Yeah, this thread is why they do that.

Gort
I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this. In the age of robotic, scripted non answers from athletes, Cutlers stands up and voices a sincere opinion. Its refreshing and brave.

that's not a bad point. maybe it's the lightbulb moment where Jay decides that this is HIS team and not Shanny's and comes to camp next year as a true leader.

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
What a freaking crybaby. Grow up cutler, stop your mopey ass crying. You get paid millions to win games.get it done

Actually, the team gets paid to win games.

The MVPlaya
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Jay Cutler has got a point. If there is no plan lined up, why the **** would fire a legit head coach? He drafted Cutler, Clady, Marshall, Royal...

The more I think about it, the more I get mad.

Those are all elite players.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Did any of you read the rest of the article? He's upset but the cherry picked bold quote makes it sound like he's pissed. I think he's just shocked about the whole thing. I think he's just worried that the team will go backwards offensively by getting rid of some of the offensive staff.

theAPAOps5
Players who lose the coach that drafted them are bound to be upset but it happens. He will settle down and if not then there is nothing we can do and its going to turn into a major rebuild.

snowspot66
Jay Cutler has got a point. If there is no plan lined up, why the **** would fire a legit head coach? He drafted Cutler, Clady, Marshall, Royal...

Did he or the Goodman's do it?

Play2win
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe things were getting just a little too "comfortable" out at dove valley... I mean how much of a stark contrast was training camp recently compared to the days out at Greeley...

broncosteven
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
What does our Starting RB have to say about his HC being fired.

Who is our Starting RB?

Dukes
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Great post. One thing clearly needs to happen next year is for Jay to take another step forward. He needs to limit his mistakes and take on more of a leadership role.

Did Shanny ever chew him out on the sidelines? I never saw it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just saying, maybe Cutler needs someone who will jump in his **** every once in a while.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Of course it's the wrong. Bowlen pulled the trigger too soon

12th man
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Popps;2224497]Jay needs to worry about not throwing into heavy traffic or handing the ball to an oncoming lineman at crucial points in games.... not front office business.

I understand he may be upset. Tough. Suck it up, try to sound like a leader and give your teammates the impression that you'll rise above it instead of sounding like a pouty kid who's just been grounded.[/QUOTE

Good point. Cutler does have to worry about his own things, but I think he has the right to voice his opinion especially in a matter like this. what he said IMO wasn't that bad or out of control.

He learned alot from shanny and was going to continue to learn and grow from one of the greatest offensive minds this league has had. Cutler this year, basically had to carry this team with no D and no conistant running game. He didn't disapoint going to the pro bowl and break Elways and plummers season records. not bad for a guy that's played for only 2 and a half seasons under center. If I was cutler I would be a little pissed too.

But like cutler said. all we could do is move on. we have a talanted offesne, so hopefully we keeps bates on as the OC or possibly as the head coach and we keep this philosophy on offense going. if not. it could get ugly imo.

Play2win
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Thats MR. BOWLEN to you, kid... ;D

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Did Shanny ever chew him out on the sidelines? I never saw it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just saying, maybe Cutler needs someone who will jump in his **** every once in a while.

QFT!

Shanny had no problem jumping down on Plummer. But he babied Greise and Jay.

Jay is going to grow up next year. Weather he wants to or not and this franchise will be better for it.

footstepsfrom#27
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Jay will get over it when he sees the new coach actually gives a rat's ass (no pun intended) about defense and he doesn't have to force passes in order to try to make something happen every series.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Exactly. It's how I would do it.

Play2win
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Here comes Gruden... :wiggle:

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
QFT!

Jay is going to grow up next year. Weather he wants to or not and this franchise will be better for it.

Thats because Plummer was a ten year veteran who looked worse than Jay.

Broncojef
12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Did any of you read the rest of the article? He's upset but the cherry picked bold quote makes it sound like he's pissed. I think he's just shocked about the whole thing. I think he's just worried that the team will go backwards offensively by getting rid of some of the offensive staff.

Yeah I'm sure he's worried next year he won't be able to go into New England and produce the same 7 points or score the massive 10 spot at home against the Oakland Raiders. He's worried club med just ended. Watch the Carolina, Buffalo and SanDieggo game again and tell me how far advanced this offense was...good grief. He mopes around like some kid who lost his birthday half the time, hopefully whoever comes in tells him to produce or leave, just like Shanahan, good riddance.

Donk
12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Told you.

old you what?

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM

So you yell at the old dog, but let the puppy continue to piss on the floor...

Good thinking!

Broncojef
12-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Plummer was alot of things and one was a winner. He knew how to win games. I'm glad they made the change to Jay it was the right move, Jay has tons of talent but I see no one focusing it or him growing. Someone needs to coach Jay and tell him to grow up.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
QFT!

Are you on sideline or at QB meeting. Then stop making riduculus statements.

Riddi
12-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Jay fires from the hip....of course he doesn't like the coach that drafted, signed and coached for three years getting fired. He will be fine when we hire a new coach with fresh ideas that will only help Jay...

I love the fans with the blinders crying over shanny...the dude is getting $20 million....Shanny is loved and will always be loved in denver but change was needed... no one likes change until after the change has come.

Northman
Plummer was alot of things and one was a winner. He knew how to win games. I'm glad they made the change to Jay it was the right move, Jay has tons of talent but I see no one focusing it or him growing. Someone needs to coach Jay and tell him to grow up.

Plummer was a winner because the team was better around him. But yes, Jay needs to grow up.

Northman
So you yell at the old dog, but let the puppy continue to piss on the floor...

Good thinking!

Thanks

TonyR
Told you.

Seriously? What did you tell us? Seems to me "we" told YOU!

tsiguy96
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
if gruden got fired and we got him, id be so so so happy.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Jay fires from the hip....of course he doesn't like the coach that drafted, signed and coached for three years getting fired. He will be fine when we hire a new coach with fresh ideas that will only help Jay...

I love the fans with the blinders crying over shanny...the dude is getting $20 million....Shanny is loved and will always be loved in denver but change was needed... no one likes change until after the change has come.

I don't think anynody is worried he'll miss a meal. Go look at the short list thread and tell which coach you like and then tell me with a straight face they are better than Shanahan. The only effing thing you can cling to is "It could be better". That's it

Donk

Jay needs to remember that he is good enough to get a job any where................. He don't have to put up with bull crap!

TonyR

Yea, and the defense is really promising, too...

TonyR
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Of course it's the wrong. Bowlen pulled the trigger too soon

Or too late, depending on how you look at it...

frerottenextelway
no one likes change until after the change has come.

Yeah, that's the one lesson the year 2008 should've taught us. Don't run on ''change''.

macdds
Of course Jay is upset, he credits Mike Shanahan for his development. Mike moved up in the draft to take him in 2006. What are Vince Young and Matt Leinart doing right now? Jay made the Pro Bowl in his 3rd year. John Elway was the greatest QB to lineup for the Broncos and one of the top 3 ever and he did not make the Pro Bowl till his 4th year.

What other QB inthe NFL this year had the pressure of needing to score on every drive just to stay in the game when the D was absent in Denver. And the vaunted running game was not consistent week to week in the injury carousel.

Pat Bowlen made a decision and we better hope he brings in the right combination to replace a future HOF coach.

Wes Mantooth
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
if gruden got fired and we got him, id be so so so happy.

Yep. He has done wonders with the Bucs hasn't he.

Gort
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't think anynody is worried he'll miss a meal. Go look at the short list thread and tell which coach you like and then tell me with a straight face they are better than Shanahan. The only effing thing you can cling to is "It could be better". That's it

i don't think that's the case. for example, you'd be as happy as a pig in **** if they hired Beamer, wouldn't you?

so clearly everyone has SOMEBODY who they think is better, right?

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Yep. He has done wonders with the Bucs hasn't he.

Yep. The Bucs sure stepped it up down the clutch. Perhaps he can bring Griese with him. The only coach debatebly better than Shanahan available is Cowher, and I don't want that ****er.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Or too late, depending on how you look at it...

Nah, I really think Bowlen should have let get two more years and then there is no doubt. He'll have had 4 years with his hand picked QB.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:58 PM
i don't think that's the case. for example, you'd be as happy as a pig in **** if they hired Beamer, wouldn't you?

so clearly everyone has SOMEBODY who they think is better, right?

I thought about that, but no...I don't think Frank get's in done in the pros. Plus I like him where he is. :)

barryr
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
The Broncos have won 1 playoff game in 10 years folks. Most coaches don't get that long. If true Shanahan refused to lt go Slowik, who has shown he has no clue as DC, then you really trust his judgment? I sure don't anymore.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
The Broncos have won 1 playoff game in 10 years folks. Most coaches don't get that long. If true Shanahan refused to lt go Slowik, who has shown he has no clue as DC, then you really trust his judgment? I sure don't anymore.

If that is truly the case. Truly. I can understand Bowlen pulling the trigger. I still don't agree with it.

Riddi
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
one playoff win in 10 years gets 99% of NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL's coaches fired.

Drek
12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Sounds to me like Bowlen needs to sit Jay down and let him know exactly who he works for.

I'm sure Jay isn't in tears over this but still, he needs to be reminded that he plays for the organization, not the coach.

TheDave
12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh ****...

This is sounding more and more like a knee-jerk reaction.

God I hope Bowlen knows what he is doing.

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Oh ****...

This is sounding more and more like a knee-jerk reaction.

God I hope Bowlen knows what he is doing.

Read pezzys thread.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Sounds to me like Bowlen needs to sit Jay down and let him know exactly who he works for.

Don't kid yourself, Jay will be gone soon. He has the stature to force his way out of here, and the one component that would keep him here is gone. Don't be surprised to see Shanahan coaching him w/in a couple years.

TheDave
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Read pezzys thread.

Any chance you have a link... my brain is mush

HEAV
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't kid yourself, Jay will be gone soon. He has the stature to force his way out of here, and the one component that would keep him here is gone. Don't be surprised to see Shanahan coaching him w/in a couple years.

Wow you really are retarded...

AtlantaBronco
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Great job Pat Bowlen. After you fired Dan Reeves we suffered 2 years with Wade Phillips. Now you fire Mike Shanahan and we'll get God Know Who. This team had a future with young players. You set the organization back years.

colonelbeef
12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/mike-shanahan-to-the-cowboys-now-thats-h.html

Kaylore
12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
So not party poop this already awesome thread, but did any of you actually listen to the interview. It was mostly Jay's way of saying he'll miss Shanahan and he hopes they bring someone in as good as him. He was hardly pissed and he certainly wasn't trying to "leave the organization." Some of you need to click the link and hear what he has to say before you have a cow.

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/mike-shanahan-to-the-cowboys-now-thats-h.html

The comments are priceless..

SonOfLe-loLang
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
He'll get over it.

This is the best post in the entire thread. I ****ing can't stand half of you, you all overreact. Jay was surprised and immediately interviewed about it. He's always been candid. He very well may be BFF with the next coach. As Apa said, he'll get over it.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM

This is completely retarded.

Bleed n Orange
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Great point about the Goodmans...what happens to them? New Gm are they gone?

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
The comments are priceless..

They are...

"Jerrah" LMAO

TheDave
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Great point about the Goodmans...what happens to them? New Gm are they gone?

Depends on who is hired, but most likely everyone is gone.

We have officially entered the rebuilding era

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Cutler needs to grow the F up this offseason. there are 2 rookies QBs that have turned their franchises around in 2008 and led them to the playoffs (Flacco, Ryan). i believe Cutler is more talented that both of them, but has not performed nearly as well in his first 3 years. he needs to worry about himself and not who the HC will be.

Both Ryan and Flacco had good defenses and really strong running games. Cutler has been on his own his entire career thus far.

Kid A
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought about that, but no...I don't think Frank get's in done in the pros. Plus I like him where he is. :)

Hey, at least our special teams would cease to suck.

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM
what about Jason Garrett?

Dallas has said they are sticking with Phillips, why not try and bring in Garrett?

Drek
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
You do realize that Bowlen has monsterous cache with all the other owners in the NFL right? And that he actually owns a team, whereas Cutler just plays for one right?

And that Cutler hasn't even had a winning season yet, let alone actually won anything of real amount right?

If Cutler even considered trying anything like that he better enjoy being the next Jeff George.

eddie mac
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

He's going nowhere. Under contract for another 3 years ffs. Do you honestly think Bowlen would trade him???

BTW Jay is just acting like a spoilt little brat as per the norm. He's no leader and he proved it this year, calling out his own players and such. If golden arm had hit a wide open Brandon Stokley and Eddie Royal on 2 consecutive redzone trips we wouldn't even be talking about this and Shanahan might still have a job. He needs to grow up or he'll still be blowing games next year and the next and the one after that.

Atlas
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
How funny would it be in 3 years Cutler leaves the Broncos for Shanny's team?

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
And that Cutler hasn't even had a winning season yet, let alone actually won anything of real amount right?

Your right, there would be no market out there for Cutler - it'd be just like Lelie. :spit:

clint7
12-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Kinda like in that damn movie, "Any Given Sunday."

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
You do realize that Bowlen has monsterous cache with all the other owners in the NFL right? And that he actually owns a team, whereas Cutler just plays for one right?

If Cutler even considered trying anything like that he better enjoy being the next Jeff George.

Yeah, no one in the league would want a guy who has only started 37 games, is going to the pro bowl and has shown flashes of greatness. you're right no one would want a QB like that. it would be insane to get a QB like that, that you could build a franchise around.

DOUCHE!

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe a new coach will knock a little of that prima donna **** out of Jay? ;D

Kid A
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Not sure funny would be the right word. Some people do seem legitimately worried about this. I don't see it as a problem if:

1) We bring in a competent staff.

2) We offer Jay fair money.

3) We keep the Marshall, Royal, Sheffler core together. Jay will be hesitant to leave a talented group of receivers he is comfortable.

DB Doom
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM

this will happen. i dont post much but i just have to say, it's all down hill, bank on it...Broncos will fall apart in so many ways. Watch..Champ is as good as gone too..Mike will be missed more than we know. good job Bowlen:thumbsup: , now watch the wheels really fall off. the end of an era. I hope most are old enough to remember the bad ol days, you think Cutler will stick around as long as Elway, and handle the defeat that was the norm before Shanny arrived. Wow. What a shiittty day.

Drek
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Your right, there would be no market out there for Cutler - it'd be just like Lelie. :spit:

No, it'd be just like Jeff George. Great talent but lacking the mental and intestinal fortitude to actually win games. If he doesn't start winning in a year or two here he'll be branded as a guy who can't win the big games. If in that time he makes problems for Bowlen then he'll carry the same black ball that credible journalists have claimed Jeff George was stuck with.

The NFL's owners are a hell of a lot tighter fraternity than most here think. They'll do anything to win but they won't **** in the punch bowl for a guy who hasn't won anything.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Kinda like in that damn movie, "Any Given Sunday."

yea 1st time someone said Jay follows Shanny i thought of that movie ...

that would be I'll take stuff that sucks really hard for a thousand please Alex..

Don't see it , but hell i'm still semi coma from them firing Mike .

tsiguy96
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
He's going nowhere. Under contract for another 3 years ffs. Do you honestly think Bowlen would trade him???

BTW Jay is just acting like a spoilt little brat as per the norm. He's no leader and he proved it this year, calling out his own players and such. If golden arm had hit a wide open Brandon Stokley and Eddie Royal on 2 consecutive redzone trips we wouldn't even be talking about this and Shanahan might still have a job. He needs to grow up or he'll still be blowing games next year and the next and the one after that.

scheffler on sirius said the defense was horrible. should he be called a spoiled brat too?

jay speaks the truth, you dont need to be politically correct with adult athletes, they can handle the truth. what does babying them ever amount to?

Blart
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Bye Cutler.

defenseman
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe a new coach will knock a little of that prima donna **** out of Jay? ;D

Cutler will get a clue.......eventually. Shanahan? Up three games with three to go and you LOSE IT????????? sorry folks, he doesn't have a clue to offer anymore. A quality coach, in touch with his players, let alone his coaches just DOES NOT let them fail when up 3 with three to go. sorry mikey, time to pack up your toys and go home. Cutler? Grow up kid, and worry about yourself, not shanahan, he's got 20 million reasons not to be worried...dman

Circle Orange
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
I have to admit total surprise here...did Shanahan and Bowlen have words behind closed doors? Maybe there wasn't as much gloss between them as the people thought.

broncofan
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Wow...if there was ever any indication that our fans have lost their minds, this thread would be it.

Don Flamenco
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I have to admit total surprise here...did Shanahan and Bowlen have words behind closed doors? Maybe there wasn't as much gloss between them as the people thought.

Especially with the reactions and comments of people close to the team. Everything points to this as something that Bowlen had not planned, which is even more disturbing if he didn't initially intend it to end this way.

defenseman
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow...if there was ever any indication that our fans have lost their minds, this thread would be it.

Shanahan lost it, not the fans. They were the ones let down by the "master", time for the annointed one to roll on down the highway...dman

defenseman
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Especially with the reactions and comments of people close to the team. Everything points to this as something that Bowlen had not planned, which is even more disturbing if he didn't initially intend it to end this way.

I'm guessing Bowlen made a demand of shanahan with respect to his role as VP or other area and shanahan called his bluff and balked on his demand. So Bowlen called him on the carpet and booted him for it. Sounds reasonable to me, can't have the inmates running the asylum...dman

oubronco
12-30-2008, 07:43 PM

this will happen. i dont post much but i just have to say, it's all down hill, bank on it...Broncos will fall apart in so many ways. Watch..Champ is as good as gone too..Mike will be missed more than we know. good job Bowlen:thumbsup: , now watch the wheels really fall off. the end of an era. I hope most are old enough to remember the bad ol days, you think Cutler will stick around as long as Elway, and handle the defeat that was the norm before Shanny arrived. Wow. What a shiittty day.

go ahead and jump

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 07:43 PM

He had to calculate this with what he was pushing. If not, then he didn't understand who he was dealing with and it's disturbing indeed.

broncofan
12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Shanahan lost it, not the fans. They were the ones let down by the "master", time for the annointed one to roll on down the highway...dman

Yeah ok...so let's all turn on our franchise quarterback for being dissapointed that his only pro head coach just got fired...without insulting Pat Bowlen or the organization I might add. I thought he handled that interview with the upmost of professionalism. What exactly were you looking for? Excitement in his tone?

bronco_diesel
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/broncos-cutler-shanahan-firing/

Cutler on Shanahan firing: 'I’m not pleased with it at all'
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published December 30, 2008 at 5:31 p.m.
Updated December 30, 2008 at 5:31 p.m.
Text size 4 Comments Email Print
More Denver BroncosBroncos fire coach Shanahan Tuesday morning quarterback: In the end, the Broncos simply didn't finish Slowik: No answer for Broncos' defensive woes More stories » ENGLEWOOD — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen stunned people across the NFL Tuesday by letting Mike Shanahan go.

And count a surprised, angered quarterback in Jay Cutler among them.

“I’m disappointed, I’m shocked, I’m not happy about it, I’m not pleased with it at all,” Cutler said by phone Tuesday. “We had zero inkling this was going to happen. I didn’t have a clue.”
Cutler said he met with Shanahan for about 30 minutes Monday before leaving town to discuss offseason plans as well as the direction the offense would take in the 2009 season.

This year, Cutler was selected for his first Pro Bowl after he set single-season franchise records in passing yards (4,526), total offense (4,726 yards), attempts (616) and completions (384) to go with 25 touchdowns, which tied him for the third-highest single-season total in Broncos history.

Cutler compiled those totals despite the team’s injury woes at running back. The Broncos placed seven running backs on injured reserve this season, five of whom had started at least one game.

It resulted in the lowest rushing total — 1,862 yards — in Shanahan’s 14-year tenure as the team’s coach. The previous low had been 1,864 yards in 1999 when the Broncos finished 6-10.

“I think with the offensive staff we had, we were moving ahead,” Cutler said. “I had just met with Mike to go over everything, talk about the things we wanted to do, make sure we were going the right way on offense.”

Cutler was particularly interested to hear what the fate of current quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates would be. Bates just finished his first year as the team’s play caller on game day.

Bates also recently turned down an offer from Lane Kiffin to be the offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee after Shanahan had extended Bates’ contract for two more seasons, through 2011.

“And he had an option to go to Tennessee, and maybe that’s still on the table for him,” Cutler said. “But to lose all of our offensive coaches, too, that would be a big thing. Guys like Jeremy (Bates), (receivers coach Jedd) Fisch, that would be a step back for us, in my mind.”

Already Tuesday, rumors were running rampant through the league the Broncos were going to seek a replacement with a background in offense to continue grooming Cutler.

The quarterback was the team’s top draft pick in 2006 and Shanahan said last week he believed Cutler’s season had been “incredible” and that the 25-year-old had the makeup “to win big games and be the kind of guy people in Denver are going to be happy to have for a long, long time.”

“I hope it all works out,” Cutler said. “But I know I’m disappointed, I’m not happy, and it’s a lot to think about. I just want to continue the things were able to do this year on offense and get better all the time.”

This is where Bowlen may have made his biggest mistake and has to get it right with his new hire.

A young QB dreams of having a solid coach like Shanny to learn and grow under. Bowlen has to get the right coach in, or Cutler will most likely bolt come contract time.

broncofan
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
According to Adam Schefter the conversation between Bowlen and Shanahan lasted 5 minutes. Bowlen called him in, told him we were going in a different direction and that was that. There were no negotiations or ultimatums.

Don Flamenco
12-30-2008, 07:55 PM
This is where Bowlen may have made his biggest mistake and has to get it right with his new hire.

A young QB dreams of having a solid coach like Shanny to learn and grow under. Bowlen has to get the right coach in, or Cutler will most likely bolt come contract time.

I think Bowlen's biggest mistake is not even planning for this to happen. I can see him wanting to make a change and taking the necessary steps, but all things point to this being a spurr of the moment thing. I f that is the case, then he has had no course of action planned out and I hope him and whoever else up with him tonight can think of something because this offense is not something that should be learning any new kind of terminology at this point.

I am all for promoting from within and god please get a legit defensive guy in here!

Don Flamenco
12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
According to Adam Schefter the conversation between Bowlen and Shanahan lasted 5 minutes. Bowlen called him in, told him we were going in a different direction and that was that. There were no negotiations or ultimatums.

I have heard this report and I'm sure there is more to it than 2 sentences of reporting.

Blart
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
At least Cutler is used to losing from his college days

defenseman
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah ok...so let's all turn on our franchise quarterback for being dissapointed that his only pro head coach just got fired...without insulting Pat Bowlen or the organization I might add. I thought he handled that interview with the upmost of professionalism. What exactly were you looking for? Excitement in his tone?

Wah..freaking Wah......Wuss boy needs to man up and shortly there after, shut the hell up. Bowlen writes his checks, story starts and ends there. Shanahan has 20 million reasons NOT to be worried about this, Cutler has barely cut his teeth. He needs to shut the mouth and put up the numbers, and carry himself professionally, not like a whiney bitch..........dman

Miss I.
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
I couldn't figure out why Jay would be having so many problems, both in speaking to the press and in some on field activities. So I did an exhaustive internet search (I belive the 10 seconds was really tiring) and found this gem. Evidently before leaving Denver, Jake gave Jay some really great advice and now here we are a few years later. Darn that Jake Plummer (but you know he did go to ASU so he really can't help it).

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume6/2006-1129-plummer.html

My favorite quote:
“Jake has taught me a lot about what is required to be an NFL quarterback,” said Cutler. “For instance, he said that when I rollout I should always then throw across my body to the other side of the field because defenses never expect that. And he said that I should always lock onto one receiver before I even snap the ball so I can see exactly where that receiver is going to go. And then, when I throw the ball, it should be either very, very high or almost uncatchably low so it’s tough for opposing defensive backs to pick it off. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, he says. So it’s been great, because in college I was taught to do the exact opposite of all that stuff. But Jake is helping me out even though he lost his job to me. I think that shows he’s a really good guy.”

By the way, this article is for humorous purposes only and none of it is real, but I thought it was funny given the various things I saw posted in this thread.

Archer81
12-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I think Bowlen's biggest mistake is not even planning for this to happen. I can see him wanting to make a change and taking the necessary steps, but all things point to this being a spurr of the moment thing. I f that is the case, then he has had no course of action planned out and I hope him and whoever else up with him tonight can think of something because this offense is not something that should be learning any new kind of terminology at this point.

I am all for promoting from within and god please get a legit defensive guy in here!

Thinking Bowlen started thinking about this when we lost winnable games to Oakland, KC, NE and Buffalo. 1 more win = us talking about Indi in the playoffs. Didnt happen, end of the day, Bowlen wants to win more then he wants to placate egos.

:Broncos:

broncofan
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
I have heard this report and I'm sure there is more to it than 2 sentences of reporting.

Not really. I don't know how much substance you expect to come of a conversation that short.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80dc4ebc

Seamus
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Friggin insane, everyone is forgetting that this is a business. How many times are we going to say "next season will be the one".

This is Cutler's first professional job and he has been told in the relatively short and comfortable time he has been in Denver, his boss is going to change. Like your first piece of really good $%*, at first you hate to see it go, then you get over it.

bombay
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
At least Cutler is used to losing from his college days

So the last two seasons were no surprise?

Don Flamenco
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Thinking Bowlen started thinking about this when we lost winnable games to Oakland, KC, NE and Buffalo. 1 more win = us talking about Indi in the playoffs. Didnt happen, end of the day, Bowlen wants to win more then he wants to placate egos.

Hmm, so why would Bowlen just recently sign jeremy bates to a contract extension if he had planned to or even have any doubts in keeping Mike Shanahan?

Archer81
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Hmm, so why would Bowlen just recently sign jeremy bates to a contract extension if he had planned to or even have any doubts in keeping Mike Shanahan?

Maybe because we are looking at the next HC of the Denver Broncos?

eddie mac
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM

If he keeps opening his yap to the detriment of the organisation and a certain coach gets hired with an upcoming FA QB, their asses might be together soon enough with Denver landing 2 1st rd picks and more in their basket. Now wouldn't that ease the growing process of any new HC.

extralife
12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, lets dump Jay for two first rounders. That'd work out well.

Archer81
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Could happen. If today taught me anything, nothing is concrete.

TheDave
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Then we could spend another 10 years looking for a franchise QB... :thumbs:

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Seriously...it's come to this? Freaking out about Cutler leaving?

Come on now I know Denver fans aren't this stupid. Franchise QB's never leave the franchise because the owner always ponies up for them. I can't think of one legitimate franchise QB that ever left the team in FA without the team deciding that they were going in a different direction first. If the team wants them back they always come back. I can't think of one instance where this didn't happen. EVEN IF in THREE YEARS Cutler doesn't want to play ball for whatever reason do you honestly believe the Team won't franchise him anyway?

Color me unconcerned. As long as this team shows signs of improvement, and with this defense the only way to go is up, Jay will resign without any issue and make a nice bit of cash for himself.

Besides. If you actually listened to the clip, as has been mentioned, he doesn't sound pissed. Just surprised like the rest of us.

Circle Orange
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Bowlen will go after Jerry Glanville. Santa Claus meets Rock 'n' Roll. :clown:

Steve Prefontaine
12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
From the other thread.
---------------

Shut up Jay. You play for the Denver Broncos, not the Denver Shanahan's.

Grow up kid, and you have alot of growing you need to do, and just sit back and be the team captain you are supposed to be.

It's more than just wearing a C on your chest kid.

You (Jay) need to learn a few things about being a NFL quarterback. Your not John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly. You are Jay nobody until you win.

FYI...Marino and Kelly have the same number of super bowl rings as Cutler.

broncofan
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Wah..freaking Wah......Wuss boy needs to man up and shortly there after, shut the hell up. Bowlen writes his checks, story starts and ends there. Shanahan has 20 million reasons NOT to be worried about this, Cutler has barely cut his teeth. He needs to shut the mouth and put up the numbers, and carry himself professionally, not like a whiney b****..........dman

Umm...perhaps I missed something. Where is the part in that audio clip where he whines? He gets asked a question, he answers...end of story.

...and how does Bowlen signing his checks hold any relavance to this conversation? Should Jay be happy with the decision for that reason alone? Maybe you'd be more satisfied if Jay wiped Bowlen's ass when he was done taking a crap too. I love how any kind of emotion in these circumstances is frowned upon. Shanahan is a millionaire, so he shouldn't be upset. Jay Cutler should be more loyal and professional and not say anything...these guys are humans. Jay is a professional. He'll sack up and move on...but to insult him for expressing remorse for Shanahan's firing is outright ignorant.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Seriously...it's come to this? Freaking out about Cutler leaving?

Come on now I know Denver fans aren't this stupid. Franchise QB's never leave the franchise because the owner always ponies up for them. I can't think of one legitimate franchise QB that ever left the team in FA without the team deciding that they were going in a different direction first.

Elway had a tremendous career with the Baltimore Colts. If the stars decide they want out of town, they find a way to get out of town.

Dedhed
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe someone will hold your ass accountable Jay, club med may well be over.

Do you mean hold him accountable for the performance of the defense?

Dedhed
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
People are stupid.

Archer81
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
People are stupid.

and...scene.

end thread.

Lolad
12-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think a lot of you are really looking at what firing Shanny means to this team. Especially on offense... The entire offensive philosophy is going to change which just might stunt the growth of our young players. We might change our QB coach, Line coach, receiving coach, all the coaches.. I mean just think about that. The offense that we had this year, who in their right mind thinks ANY OC is better then Shanny?

Don Flamenco
12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think a lot of you are really looking at what firing Shanny means to this team. Especially on offense... The entire offensive philosophy is going to change which just might stunt the growth of our young players. We might change our QB coach, Line coach, receiving coach, all the coaches.. I mean just think about that. The offense that we had this year, who in their right mind thinks ANY OC is better then Shanny?

no, no. That's what I've been trying to bring up this whole time. The more reason I think this move was not premeditated by Bowlen.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 09:05 PM

Bates was running the show the majority of the time according to Shanahan. It's a copy cat league. The incoming coach will know what this team has. Things won't change that much. A smart coach will build around what Cutler likes to do. That's what our game plan SHOULD be. Not what a predetermined playbook says it will be.

Lolad
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Bates was running the show the majority of the time according to Shanahan. It's a copy cat league. The incoming coach will know what this team has. Things won't change that much. A smart coach will build around what Cutler likes to do. That's what our game plan SHOULD be. Not what a predetermined playbook says it will be.

I'm going to listen to our franchise QB on this one. and he sure as hell didn't sound to happy about what change might be coming to the offense

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm going to listen to our franchise QB on this one. and he sure as hell didn't sound to happy about what change might be coming to the offense

He sounded disappointed. I'm sure he liked Mike and I'm sure a lot of the other plays did too. Of course they'll be disappointed. But he didn't sound pissed off. When Jay is pissed off in interviews he gets short and snappy. I'm sure he's concerned about how the offense will go but with the talent they have it should be just as strong. Give him a defense and they start winning some games and nobody will be complaining.

As for Elway and the Colts. Elway got out because Elway could go play baseball with the Yankees. He wasn't under contract. He held all the cards. If a team wants to keep a superstar it keeps the superstar. Name me one big name QB or other superstar that a team let go when they wanted to keep them and had the means to do so? The few that have caused problems like TO are the few that have gotten what they want and that behavior is just part of their personality.

Hamrob
12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Bowlen will get Lane Kiffen to coach the Broncos. Lane will entice his pops to coach our defense. Cutler will continue to grow. Kiffin will pick up where Shanny left off...giving Al the middle finger...and the Broncos will be champions soon again!

Wes Mantooth
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
This deal is messed up. Jay is right to be pissed.

Rivers Delivers
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Maybe he shouldn't have thrown so many horrible INTs at key moments down the stretch. :wiggle:

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
This deal is messed up. Jay is right to be pissed.

No he's not.

How many teams has Jay assembled? How much front office experience does Jay have?

He's got no qualifications to make NFL staffing personnel decisions.

He's never even PLAYED for another NFL coach. He's got no idea what he's talking about. He's just coming across like the kind of guy he usually comes across sounding like.

Again, Jay has plenty of quarterbacking issues to take care of before attempting to run the franchise for Pat. Let's work on those first.... O.K., Jay?

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Jay likes Shanahan and Bates because they let him go out and throw the ball and the offense was pretty good and even great at times. He doesn't like the move because he's afraid the offense will regress.

He is not pissed off just worried what the new coach will expect to make changes. If we get the right guy it will be a non issue. The offense will succeed and Jay will be as happy as can be when we start to turn the defense around. If we field just a mediocre defense in the next year or so we'll win a lot of games and the offense will be that much stronger for it and everybody will forget about this year.

Bolts_Rule_AFC_West
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
What would be ideal is for Jay to call Bowlen out in even more "candid" terms.

Bowlen needs to be humiliated for this. Publicly. I would love to see Cutler shove it right back in his face.
Has anyone considered the idea that Bowlen doesn't think much of Jay Cutler and decided to can Shanahan because he was the one that wanted Cutler in the first place?

It very well could be that Bowlen decided that building a team around Cutler is a bad idea. Shanahan hasn't drafted a franchise tailback in ages and can't find anyone to help him put together a defense while he tries to rebuild the magic of Elway with a slouch of a man in Cutler.

Just watch Cutler's press conferences and ask yourself whether you'd be happy paying him $$millions to utter "I don't know, you tell me?" week after week. Yeah, I seriously think Cutler himself may of led to the end of Shanahan in Denver.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Uh...no.

I think the owner of a team is going to look more at the players performance and how he works off the field a bit more than how he delivers canned answers to reporters at press conferences.

This is Pat Bowlen. Not Al Davis.

enjolras
12-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Players never like it when their coach gets fired. It's a reflection on THEIR failure.

That's fun for nobody.

Bronco Yoda
12-30-2008, 11:12 PM
The sun WILL rise tomorrow... I promise.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Exactly.

It's got to be especially difficult when you like him and he's recognized as one of the best in the game at what he does.

A little success and everybody will move on.

footstepsfrom#27
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Has anyone considered the idea that Bowlen does think much of Jay Cutler and decided to can Shanahan because he was the one that wanted Cutler in the first place?

It very well could be, that Bowlen decided that building a team around Cutler is a bad idea. Shanahan hasn't drafted a franchise tailback in ages and can't find anyone to help him put together a defense while he tries to rebuild the magic of Elway with a slouch of a man in Cutler.

Just watch Cutler's press conferences and ask yourself whether you'd be happy paying him $$millions to utter "I don't know, you tell me?" week after week. Yeah, I seriously think Cutler himself may of led to the end of Shanahan in Denver.
You're an idiot.

Bolts_Rule_AFC_West
12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
You're an idiot.

Which is why I feel at home in this forum.

Ambiguous
12-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

Thats a big ****ing if.

Q F M F T

Seriously, I'm all for this if it works, but the fact that the centerpiece of our offense is making comments like this screams knee jerk reaction.

I know Jay is young, but holy crap, this is the NFL. Everything you say is going to be dissected. Really the only thing that worried me about this is whether or not there is a well thought out plan behind it, and when our most important player is uninformed and making comments like this... wtf? They didn't prep him for this?

I don't expect him to say the right thing, he is a football player. But he was unaware, and talking to the press? Or he was, and threw Bowlen under the bus? Either way, this screams disaster.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Jay has plenty of quarterbacking issues to take care of before attempting to run the franchise for Pat. Let's work on those first.... O.K., Jay?Fine, but Pat should have picked up a phone and given Jay a heads up rather than having him blindsided on vacation by reporters. Pat should know better than that.

Bolts_Rule_AFC_West
12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Fine, but Pat should have picked up a phone and given Jay a heads up rather than having him blindsided on vacation by reporters. Pat should know better than that.

Based on my theory above, Bowlen was very comfortable letting Jay learn that you win or hit the road in a manner that makes him squirm. Jay had plenty of opportunities to make the playoffs by beating Buffalo. Instead he missed two or three wide open TD's and then spent the weekend in San Diego cussing at his receivers. Something tells me he's not in Bowlen's circle jerk these days.

Ambiguous
12-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Fine, but Pat should have picked up a phone and given Jay a heads up rather than having him blindsided on vacation by reporters. Pat should know better than that.

Agree all the way.

He didn't think about this, which is really obvious and simple, and now I am really worried about the future of this team.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Based on my theory above, Bowlen was very comfortable letting Jay learn that you win or hit the road in a manner that makes him squirm. Jay had plenty of opportunities to make the playoffs by beating Buffalo. Instead he missed two or three wide open TD's and then spent the weekend in San Diego cussing at his receivers. Something tells me he's not in Bowlen's circle jerk these days.

Sure hoss...

Bowlen is a business man. He's not a billionaire who bought the team as a toy. It's his business. He's doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the business. ****ing with his franchise QB that generates God knows how much money for his business makes no sense whatsoever.

snowspot66
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Agree all the way.

He didn't think about this, which is really obvious and simple, and now I am really worried about the future of this team.

I'm sure he thought plenty hard about it. He probably hoped Mike would drop Slowik and he wouldn't be forced to make a change. He knew as well as the rest of us that the defense would be **** next year too because of Slowik.

It may not be his desired outcome but he had to have been prepared for this. He has a history of giving coaches time and leeway. He won't just ditch them. Wade was merely a caretaker for the team.

Popps
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM

Honestly, man? Really? He should have let some snot-nosed kid know about his multi-million dollar business decision before he let the people involved know?

"... I need to fire a key top employee in my multi-million dollar company, but I'd better consult a 24 year old kid to get his opinion between jello-shots in Aruba."

Seriously, think about that... all that does is jeopardize any confidentiality between owner and coach. What if Jay leaked it? What would the upside have been of telling him. He's going to play QB and collect a massive paycheck next year, regardless. I honestly have no idea why an owner of a major company would need to consult a lower-level employee about something like this.

Aside from that, Jay made it clear he wanted to "get away from it all" and forget about football, anyway.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Honestly, man? Really? He should have let some snot-nosed kid know about his multi-million dollar business decision before he let the people involved know?

"... I need to fire a key top employee in my multi-million dollar company, but I'd better consult a 24 year old kid to get his opinion between jello-shots in Aruba."

Seriously, think about that... all that does is jeopardize any confidentiality between owner and coach. What if Jay leaked it? What would the upside have been of telling him. He's going to play QB and collect a massive paycheck next year, regardless. I honestly have no idea why an owner of a major company would need to consult a lower-level employee about something like this.

Aside from that, Jay made it clear he wanted to "get away from it all" and forget about football, anyway.

You're talking about the new face of that multi-million dollar franchise.

Yeah, it would have been a good idea to give him a briefing.

The obvious upside is having the face of your franchise look confident and optimistic, rather than waylaid and shaken in front of the media.

Cheez Whiz
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Has anyone considered the idea that Bowlen doesn't think much of Jay Cutler and decided to can Shanahan because he was the one that wanted Cutler in the first place?

It very well could be that Bowlen decided that building a team around Cutler is a bad idea. Shanahan hasn't drafted a franchise tailback in ages and can't find anyone to help him put together a defense while he tries to rebuild the magic of Elway with a slouch of a man in Cutler.

Wow..

You're an idiot.

Wes Mantooth
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
No he's not.

How many teams has Jay assembled? How much front office experience does Jay have?

He's got no qualifications to make NFL staffing personnel decisions.

He's never even PLAYED for another NFL coach. He's got no idea what he's talking about. He's just coming across like the kind of guy he usually comes across sounding like.

Again, Jay has plenty of quarterbacking issues to take care of before attempting to run the franchise for Pat. Let's work on those first.... O.K., Jay?

Popps, never said he had any qualifications to make decisions, just to be pissed that his coach is suddenly gone.

Popps
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
You're talking about the new face of that multi-million dollar franchise.

Yeah, it would have been a good idea to give him a briefing.

The obvious upside is having the face of your franchise look confident and optimistic, rather than waylaid and shaken in front of the media.

Really? The same kid who Shanahan himself basically referred to as a loose cannon? You think he was just going to jump in there and toe the company line when he heard this to make Bowlen happy?

Again, Bowlen doens't need to consult a kid on his payroll about major business decisions. I've never, ever heard of an owner asking permission or briefing players before firing a coach. It's ass-backwards and based on no sort of business logic.

Cutler has plenty to worry about. He can pout if he wants to. If Bowlen told him first, he would have still likely pouted and potentially jeopardized the situation with regard to how Bowlen wanted it to go down.

Jay's on an island somewhere chasing tail or doing beer bongs and Pat's supposed to call him up and make gentle with him about his business decisions?

Please.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes, really. No one is talking about asking permission. They're talking about a briefing. These are common in business when major things happen and you want your spokespeople to look confident in front of the media.

All of your Cutler bashing aside, he *is* the face of the franchise. Pat would have been smart to at least give him the courtesy of a briefing. Of course, I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in Pat's smarts these days.

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, really. No one is talking about asking permission. They're talking about a briefing. These are common in business when major things happen and you want your spokespeople to look confident in front of the media.

All of your Cutler bashing aside, he *is* the face of the franchise. Pat would have been smart to at least give him the courtesy of a briefing. Of course, I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in Pat's smarts these days.

:rofl:

Poor guy.

Look, I don't blame you for reaching. After the smug posts calling everyone idiots for suggesting Shanahan could be gone, you're in your usual back-tracking mode of trying to explain what you "really" meant.

I'm not "bashing" Cutler. He's simply got bigger fish to fry than trying to make executive decisions, or did you miss his last three games?

He's a highly talented QB and yes, he's our future... but he's got no need to be "briefed" about anything. He can do his job and attempt to do it better than he did down the stretch this year. That should be his concern.

Telling him before hand accomplishes nothing. He's been labeled a loose cannon by those very people. You think he was going to suddenly be a yes-man? Please. Bowlen was too smart to waste his time with it. He got onto the business at hand and Jay can just learn to deal with it.

Willynowei
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Really? The same kid who Shanahan himself basically referred to as a loose cannon? You think he was just going to jump in there and toe the company line when he heard this to make Bowlen happy?

Again, Bowlen doens't need to consult a kid on his payroll about major business decisions. I've never, ever heard of an owner asking permission or briefing players before firing a coach. It's ass-backwards and based on no sort of business logic.

Cutler has plenty to worry about. He can pout if he wants to. If Bowlen told him first, he would have still likely pouted and potentially jeopardized the situation with regard to how Bowlen wanted it to go down.

Jay's on an island somewhere chasing tail or doing beer bongs and Pat's supposed to call him up and make gentle with him about his business decisions?

Please.

It actually makes plenty of business logic. The number one rule of management is transparency. When you fire a manager beneath you, you better make sure that the guys underneath him that you want to keep, are okay with the move and transition. Otherwise you're going lose your top talent.

The only reason owners can pull this crap off in the NFL is because NFL contracts give very little freedom to the player; you can either play or sit, you can't "quit" and play for another team, its almost like an implied non-compt agreement. In a league like the NBA where players can opt out and play for whichever team they like, Michael Jordan damn well better be notified if Phil Jackson is getting fired.

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
It actually makes plenty of business logic. The number one rule of management is transparency.

Holy ****.... absolutely not. Do you manage? Have you? I have, I do. I can absolutely guarantee you that the people that manage ME feel no need to inform me of every business decision.

I work for a major entertainment corporation and EXECUTIVES in my building have heard about major corporate moves in the TRADES. (Mags) Trust me, "transparency" is NOT the "#1" rule of corporate management. If anything, it's the absolute opposite.

The only reason owners can pull this crap off in the NFL is because NFL contracts give very little freedom to the player; you can either play or sit, you can't "quit" and play for another team, its almost like an implied non-compt agreement. In a league like the NBA where players can opt out and play for whichever team they like, Michael Jordan damn well better be notified if Phil Jackson is getting fired.

Wrong again. ALL corporations lack transparency. It it right? Clearly not. The current economic downturn we're in now is largely based on a lack of transparency. (Another conversation.) But, to some extent, a lack of transparency is necessary for the functioning of management. Owners can't be going around trying to make nice with employees before firing their boss. It simply doesn't work that way.

As for MJ, is he an exception? Sure... probably. The greatest player in league history, arguably. Sure. A 20-something kid on an island somewhere coming off of a few so-so games with a .500 record, not so much.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Treating the face of your franchise like mere hired help is not sound logic. Most people are smart enough to realize this.

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Treating the face of your franchise like mere hired help is not sound logic. Most people are smart enough to realize this.

Yea, well... another smug, incorrect assumption... sort of like your last one...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=75466

Honestly, dude... you're like one of those guys being arrested in a trailer park on COPS... kicking and screaming the whole way out, as if he's smarter than the cops.

Wrong time after time, but still smarter than everyone... and with a sense of smugness that makes it all the more comical.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Yea, well... another smug, incorrect assumption... sort of like your last one...

Honestly, dude... you're like one of those guys being arrested in a trailer park on COPS... kicking and screaming the whole way out, as if he's smarter than the cops.

Wrong time after time, but still smarter than everyone... and with a sense of smugness that makes it all the more comical.

As usual, when you're losing an argument, you take to attacking me.

There's no assumption here. The fact that this discussion even exists is proof in itself that Pat handled this wrong where Jay is concerned.

It's not like I do this sort of thing for a living or anything (I do).

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
There's no assumption here. The fact that this discussion even exists is proof in itself that Pat handled this wrong where Jay is concerned.

Huh!?

The fact that people are talking about it means one side of an argument is definitively factual?

So, people have debated UFOs here... does that very discussion make them a reality?

What about the idea that you're just incorrect..... again.

Jezuz, dude... you can usually do better than this.

watermock
12-31-2008, 01:39 AM
This screams kneejerk all the way to Bowlen.

snowspot66
12-31-2008, 01:43 AM
It screams planned for but hopefully avoided situation to me. Unfortunately it was not avoided and Pat had to make a move.

Sometimes decisions are forced upon you. Even if your the boss. You don't fire a Hall of Fame coach and a friend because of a knee jerk reaction. It's not as if this historic collapse and historically bad defense was preceded by several recent Super Bowls and long playoff runs.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Huh!?

The fact that people are talking about it means one side of an argument is definitively factual?

So, people have debated UFOs here... does that very discussion make them a reality?

What about the idea that you're just incorrect..... again.

Jezuz, dude... you can usually do better than this.

I don't expect you to understand the finer points of public relations. That's why some of us went to school for it.

Yes, the fact that people are talking in uncertain tones about Jay's reaction to the firing is proof that Pat handled it wrong. It's like the old saying about offensive linemen - you know they're doing a good job if nobody is talking about them.

Your disconnected UFO reference aside, Jay's reaction to this was of shock and suprise. That shock and suprise spreads to the fan base and to his teammates. That shock and suprise is inevitable, but when making these kinds of decisions you can aid your organization with good communication practices - the main one being talking to the leaders of your organization who you expect to get the rest over the hump as quickly as possible. This way you don't have the face of your franchise saying "I think it's the wrong move" to the media. That's not the right message that you want getting out. In fact, it's exactly the opposite of the right message (to dumb it down a bit for you).

This isn't rocket science. But everyone knows your act - once you settle on a position, you'll argue to the dickens it's the smart and proper thing against all reason.

But to my point, the fact that Jay said to the media "I think it's the wrong move" is self-evident proof that Pat handled things wrong where communicating this important decision to the face of his franchise is concerned. That's not to say that Jay handled it correctly - he didn't. But being blind-sided with the news, that's to be expected. He should have, at the very least, been given a briefing - I would say directly from Pat - before the media got ahold of him.

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:52 AM
This isn't rocket science. But everyone knows your act - once you settle on a position, you'll argue to the dickens it's the smart and proper thing against all reason.

Again, Taco... you're just continually, embarrassingly wrong.

(http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=75466)

Once again, Bowlen did the opposite of what you smugly said he would or should do.

So, forgive some of us if we sort of laugh off your next smug, silly prediction.

Bowlen wasn't trying to master the "finer points of PR," he was making a business move.... something I DO know a little about, as you're aware.

He didn't feel it necessary to play grab-ass with his mid-level employees or have a feel-good meeting with Cutler before he conducted his business. He conducted it as a confident owner should. Cutler can accept it like an employee should.

As for the "face of the franchise," you may want to pick up a newspaper. This board isn't the only place his "face" is being questioned. Again, he's got plenty of Jay Cutler-issues to worry about before trying to make executive front office decisions.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
As far as I can tell, you know very little about business if you can't master the simple point I just made. I'm not sure what you think deflecting to my thread about Bowlen accomplishes here, other than taking the focus off of the point you're wrong on and trying to focus it on an unrelated point I was wrong on.

I'm done arguing it. The point holds up. It's self evident.

watermock
12-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Holy ****.... absolutely not. Do you manage? Have you? I have, I do. I can absolutely guarantee you that the people that manage ME feel no need to inform me of every business decision.

I work for a major entertainment corporation and EXECUTIVES in my building have heard about major corporate moves in the TRADES. (Mags) Trust me, "transparency" is NOT the "#1" rule of corporate management. If anything, it's the absolute opposite.

Wrong again. ALL corporations lack transparency. It it right? Clearly not. The current economic downturn we're in now is largely based on a lack of transparency. (Another conversation.) But, to some extent, a lack of transparency is necessary for the functioning of management. Owners can't be going around trying to make nice with employees before firing their boss. It simply doesn't work that way.

As for MJ, is he an exception? Sure... probably. The greatest player in league history, arguably. Sure. A 20-something kid on an island somewhere coming off of a few so-so games with a .500 record, not so much.

Jesus. WTF?

Owners can't be going around trying to make nice with employees before firing their boss. It simply doesn't work that way.

You have no clue.

watermock
12-31-2008, 02:00 AM

WTF?

Popps
12-31-2008, 02:01 AM
As far as I can tell, you know very little about business if you can't master the simple point I just made. I'm not sure what you think deflecting to my thread about Bowlen accomplishes here, other than taking the focus off of the point you're wrong on and trying to focus it on an unrelated point I was wrong on.

I'm done arguing it. The point holds up. It's self evident.

The point is that you didn't have one.

Your premise was that because people were talking about it, it must have been mishandled. That's obviously nonsense.

The link to your last nonsense thread was just one of many illustrations of how your smug attitude accompanied by being so routinely incorrect is very comical.

Yet, here we are again... you purporting to have answers that you really don't, and then spinning it when you're called out.

I think you being done arguing it is one of your better decisions as of late.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
The point is that you didn't have one.

Your premise was that because people were talking about it, it must have been mishandled. That's obviously nonsense.

The link to your last nonsense thread was just one of many illustrations of how your smug attitude accompanied by being so routinely incorrect is very comical.

Yet, here we are again... you purporting to have answers that you really don't, and then spinning it when you're called out.

I think you being done arguing it is one of your better decisions as of late.

Just to clear up the point which you butchered...

The fact that the face of the franchise said "I think it's the wrong move" in suprised tones to the media is self-evident proof that Pat Bowlen bungled the communication as far as Jay is concerned. Whatever you want to say about me being wrong before, on this point I am absolutely, unequivacably correct. And I should be - this is the sort of thing that I do for a living. My degree is in Public Relations.

I don't expect you to understand this stuff. But I'm confident that there are others out there reading this who can see through your bluster and comprehend the point I've made. At the very least, Jay should have been given a briefing - I would say directly from Pat - before the media got ahold of him.

extralife
12-31-2008, 02:40 AM

Please.

...what did Jay Cutler ever do to you? Do you even like this team?

Now. Football teams are a littler different than most businesses. There is the business side, and then there is the, you know, winning football games side. Bowlen runs an organization. Cutler plays football. Pat Bowlen may know all kinds of things about business, but firing Mike Shanahan is a football move, and you can bet your ass Jay Cutler knows more about football than Pat Bowlen does. Not that any of this is particularly relevant anymore. I seriously can't believe people are raging over Cutler expressing some disappointment over his boss being fired. Have you ever, you know, worked somewhere? If you had this rad boss that knew all the ins and outs of whatever you happened to be doing, and this guy personally went out of his way to hire you, and then they two of you developed a nice professional relationship, are you telling me that if the Guy Upstairs fired this boss, you'd be like "Wow, awesome! I should just shut up and do my job and not react to this turn of events in the slightest!" Grow up.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 05:30 AM

Popps, I have strange feeling that you not the face of our corporation or man press goes to when there is major story. Because if you were, you would understand what we are attempting to say. I have been involved in two major decision that effected the Chain of Command, neither allowed the junior leadership a say in the decision, but we made sure they were informed almost immediately on what it meant and our plan. Decision was made fine, but at that point Bowlen or press secretary should have been on the phone giving Cutler and other key player a quick down and dirty. First it make good media sense, second more important it means that you are handling the human part of the change management process correctly.

bronco militia
12-31-2008, 05:43 AM
GOOD GOD!!!!

People get canned everyday, for no reason at all other than the bottom line. Peoples feeling get hurt, and then they move on.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Jay is really candid in this. Things are going to get ugly.

My fear is things get so ugly we loose Brandon Marshall to Free Agency. Bowlen made a bone headed move. Shanny still had 3 years remaining on his contract and had amassed some great talent over the last 3 drafts, he should have been allowed another two years at best.

You don't fire a coach with the rash of injuries that Shanahan had to endure at the key position at RB....which is key to Shanahan's offense effectiveness

toad
12-31-2008, 05:51 AM
I haven't read through all 190+ posts but, just to chime in, this just seems to be another exapmle of Cutler's immaturity and, as much as I hate to say it, lack of professionalism

Also, to note ESPN has one article up now suggesting Shanny's refusal to fire Slowik caused his own demise...

Rohirrim
12-31-2008, 05:53 AM
The idea that an owner would brief a player before making a move to fire his coach is ludicrous. I can't think of a single example of this ever being done. I doubt Bowlen called in Elway for a consult before he canned Reeves and Wade. Hell, look at the way players are canned; Clean out your locker, dude. You're not catching this flight. Anyway, the last thing Bowlen wants to do is feed Cutler's inclination for being a prima donna.

Rohirrim
12-31-2008, 05:57 AM

LOL

Last week, Bowlen was the best owner in the league. This week, he's an idiot. Ha!

Lolad
12-31-2008, 06:24 AM
He should've informed Jay, Told him the direction he was trying to move in.. The kind of offense or defensive minded HC he wanted to coach the team.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 06:36 AM
He should've informed Jay, Told him the direction he was trying to move in.. The kind of offense or defensive minded HC he wanted to coach the team.

I agree. After all you're only talking about your franchise QB. Of course perhaps Bowlen might believe Culter is a stop gap tool for what he has planned for the future of the Broncos.....and has another Franchise QB he's had his eye on.

I think the Fans, Players, and Owners are about to get an education on loyalty and taking new DIRECTIONS!!!!

AFTER ALL THE NFL STANDS FOR "NOT FOR LONG"!!!

elsid13
12-31-2008, 06:41 AM
I agree. After all you're only talking about your franchise QB. Of course perhaps Bowlen might believe Culter is a stop gap tool for what he has planned for the future of the Broncos.....and has another Franchise QB he's had his eye on.

I think the Fans, Players, and Owners are about to get an education on loyalty and taking new DIRECTIONS!!!!

AFTER ALL THE NFL STANDS FOR "NOT FOR LONG"!!!

there isn't another Franchise QB out there. Culter is here for the long haul, but there will be changes.

Kaylore
12-31-2008, 06:53 AM

Jay works for Bowlen and Jay isn't entitled to anything about the team because he's an employee.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
there isn't another Franchise QB out there. Culter is here for the long haul, but there will be changes.

With FA today....no QB is guaranteed to stay with any team for THE LONG HAUL!!!

So again, all bets are off! The only situation keeping Cutler in Orange n Blue will be "Winning"!!! And the Broncos now have a 3 year window to do so or Cutler could be gone.

Ummmmmm......imagine these new generation of instant gratification Bronco Fans dealing with that scenario!!!:wiggle:

rastaman
12-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Jay works for Bowlen and Jay isn't entitled to anything about the team because he's an employee.

Bowlen is only the owner! The fans don't come to see Bowlen. The Fans fill the stadium seats to come watch the players. When you have a Franchise QB...you do treat them a little different to a degree.:thumbsup:

elsid13
12-31-2008, 07:01 AM

Cutler did not need to know about the decision before hand. But once the decision was made, Bowlen or someone from the front office should have called him to tell what was going on. Everyone knows the press is going to attempt to get a statement from face of the franchise. It smart planning

All they had to say "Jay, Mr. Bowlen decide that organization needs to change direction to continue it's winning tradition, He decided to let Mike go. We wanted you to hear it from us first before press told you. We get more information about our plan as we move forward"

Then Cutler would have better response to press question and organization would on the same page.

Archer81
12-31-2008, 07:01 AM

Why would he do that? Its Bowlen's team, and Jay is a paid employee, he does as told, he doesnt decide who coaches.

Lolad
12-31-2008, 07:09 AM

this is football! This is not your normal business model.... What if the new coach that is brought in doesn't want to run the ZBS scheme. Our light lineman, the same lineman who allowed a league low in sacks would be traded/cut. I'm sure when Cutler is talking about the changes that might be made you would want to ease his concerns as well as other players.

The packages and offensive philosophy that was used effectively this year without a running game, will that be back with a new HC? These are the type of questions and I'm sure there are many more that I guarantee Jay is thinking about right now

Lolad
12-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Why would he do that? Its Bowlen's team, and Jay is a paid employee, he does as told, he doesnt decide who coaches.

its not about deciding who is going to coach the team. It is just telling Jay he wants to move in a new direction. And where he sees the direction the team needs to go in to be successful.

55CrushEm
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM

Ding, ding.....we have a winner.

Smiling Assassin27
12-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Give the kid a break. It's less than 24 hours that this bombshell blindsided him and all of us. The process of dealing with something like this means denial and then anger, then depression, and then acceptance. Let's hope the kid exhibits some maturity, as this is a perfect opportunity for him to fill a leadership vacuum and become a real NFL quarterback.

I think Elway should be on the phone with Cutler helping him process all of this as well as Bowlen giving Jay a call to let him know that he's our guy and he will be the cornerstone of another world champion. Jay's got a choice to make--let's hope he makes better decisions than he does in crunch time of a must-win game.

Archer81
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
its not about deciding who is going to coach the team. It is just telling Jay he wants to move in a new direction. And where he sees the direction the team needs to go in to be successful.

Again, why tell your employee? Implies they have control over it. Not how it should work in any company anywhere.

Lolad
12-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Again, why tell your employee? Implies they have control over it. Not how it should work in any company anywhere.

No its not... You are not giving him control over anything by discussing the direction YOU, The OWNER are taking. He doesn't have a say so in the decision because it has already been made. To find out about the decision from the press speaks volumes

Taco John
12-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Bowlen, of all people, know better than to think of the face of your franchise as a mere "employee." Just look at how he handled things between Reeves and Elway.

The guy is slipping.

Smiling Assassin27
12-31-2008, 07:24 AM
I think Bowlen did it the right way. By not including the players, he established a cultural change in which he clearly sent the message that players play and owners decide about operations. This should have each and every player on eggshells. Their farce of a season was unacceptable and it has been for 3 years in a row. It's a defining moment, just as firing Wade and bringing in Mike was a defining moment.

bronco militia
12-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Bowlen, of all people, know better than to think of the face of your franchise as a mere "employee." Just look at how he handled things between Reeves and Elway.

The guy is slipping.

yeah, he fired two coaches for John Elway....

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Archer81
12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
No its not... You are not giving him control over anything by discussing the direction YOU, The OWNER are taking. He doesn't have a say so in the decision because it has already been made. To find out about the decision from the press speaks volumes

No, it doesnt speak volumes. Bowlen's decision and he obviously can tell anyone he likes in any fashion he likes. I really doubt he would sit all the players down in a huddle and discuss the firing of Shanahan, does your boss take you aside when they fire someone above you to discuss the direction the job is going? No, so why would it be different for the NFL?

Circle Orange
12-31-2008, 08:00 AM

Yeah, not to be cold but so what if he wasn't told? I worked at a place where the boss walked in the room and fired everyone on the spot, no rumors or warnings at all. A co worker threw a chair through the wall in protest. So I'm not crying for these guys, the NFL is a buisness and NOBODY lasts forever or is guaranteed anything.

Steve Sewell
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Cutler speaks his mind...doesn't bs or go all PC. That's how he feels. He thinks it was wrong. So do others. Bowlen made his bed; he can now lie in it. He took a big risk in firing Mike, I'm sure he's praying it works out for him and his team.

You do realize that Bowlen is probably the best owner in the NFL, right? And that he's been making the bed for longer than Mike Shanahan has been head coach. If history is any indication, Bowlen will make the right move for this team, as he's always done.

epicSocialism4tw
12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
It's the way of the NFL kid. Man up.

Has anybody noticed he doesn't host his own CBS show when they lose? Brandon Marshall shows up. It took me a while, but I am starting to wonder what makes him tick.

This about sums it up.

Jay needs to worry about making the most out of his responsibilities and not about voicing his displeasure. Quit throwing interceptions in the endzone. Quit making immature statements to the press. Quit LOSING.

The team didnt draft you to put up numbers and lose. This isnt your little highlight show. This is the DENVER BRONCOS. This franchise is bigger than you. You have to earn your stripes here. This isnt Arizona or the NY Jets.

Its starting to seem as if he got all the self-importance that goes with a Vandy education, but little of the intelligence.

epicSocialism4tw
12-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Give the kid a break. It's less than 24 hours that this bombshell blindsided him and all of us. The process of dealing with something like this means denial and then anger, then depression, and then acceptance. Let's hope the kid exhibits some maturity, as this is a perfect opportunity for him to fill a leadership vacuum and become a real NFL quarterback.

I think Elway should be on the phone with Cutler helping him process all of this as well as Bowlen giving Jay a call to let him know that he's our guy and he will be the cornerstone of another world champion. Jay's got a choice to make--let's hope he makes better decisions than he does in crunch time of a must-win game.

Its not Elway's job to coddle this brat. He has already thumbed his nose at Elway in the press.

If Jay wants help, he should call and ask for it. Its time for him to grow up.

mwill07
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
an interesting thread, in lieu of recent happenings...

RMT
03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
for all the crying about how the Broncos are handling this, it's not as if cutler's won a majority of games or willed his team to victory and into the playoffs since he became the starter.

everyone involved is to blame and no one party deserves more blame than the other. i have had it with ALL of them.

oubronco
03-17-2009, 06:14 PM

well they both had defenses and Jay had well shyt

colonelbeef
03-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Awful.

wow, I am a fortune teller

buy Apple stock

lex
03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
for all the crying about how the Broncos are handling this, it's not as if cutler's won a majority of games or willed his team to victory and into the playoffs since he became the starter.

everyone involved is to blame and no one party deserves more blame than the other. i have had it with ALL of them.

Pat deserves all the blame. He made promises to one party and let the other party fubar everything while he ran and hid.

Bronx33
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
sigh*

Circle Orange
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I've an idea...let Cutler be the owner, and Bowlen line up a quarterback! We'd save picks, and a ton of money on an owner's salary! I think it's workable...provided the broncs get a solid O line set up...:thumbsup:

Bronco cocktail = cocoa and Jim Beam.

barryr
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Pat deserves all the blame. He made promises to one party and let the other party fubar everything while he ran and hid.

Cutler, like you, already had it in his mind before the hire to be pissed, so he didn't even come to the hiring with an open mind, like you as well.

President of the Mike Leach Butt **** Club

lex