PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Taco John
12-30-2008, 03:55 PM
You're going to get exactly what you deserve for such a gutless move. When this team is floundering without an identity and our offensive core is bailing on us, remember this is what you wanted.

ayjackson
12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
who's drunk?

Cheez Whiz
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Uh-oh!

Pat Bowlen has made Taco John angry!

Yeah, Mike Shanahan is the Denver Broncos. Good call, Taco.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/zapparulez/Bronco%20Pics%20Elway%20Era/patbowlenfurcoat.jpg

Pimpin aint easy, TJ.

BroncoInferno
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Geez, Taco. I was in Shanny's corner too, but you sound like those folks who melt down every year four hours into free agency. Why not wait and see who Bowlen brings in? There are some good options out there.

Steve Sewell
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/zapparulez/Bronco%20Pics%20Elway%20Era/patbowlenfurcoat.jpg

Pimpin aint easy, TJ.

That pic is Chuck Norris-esque.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
You're going to get exactly what you deserve for such a gutless move. When this team is floundering without an identity and our offensive core is bailing on us, remember this is what you wanted.

QFT

Going to be hard to even watch/care next year ...

broncofan7
Taco--how much for me to buy this site from you? Does it just require me lease the server?

rugbythug
Depends who we Keep too. If Bates, Dennison and Turner Stay I would be real Happy. Won't Miss Slowick.

Taco John
There are some good options out there.

The hell there is.

24champ
Geez, Taco. I was in Shanny's corner too, but you sound like those folks who melt down every year four hours into free agency. Why not wait and see who Bowlen brings in? There are some good options out there.

yeah I know, I am going to wait and see who is brought in. If it is Pioli and McDaniels then I will be estatic because they both might want to move into a 3-4 on defense. We all know Slowik is not coming back so thats good.

listopencil
12-30-2008, 04:01 PM

He's the man with the money, and money always talks. I think it sucks and Pat can kiss my hairy ass. But that's the way it works.

broncofan7
12-30-2008, 04:01 PM
QFT

Going to be hard to even watch/care next year ...

spoken like a true 'Nattian. Go root on the buckeyes.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
spoken like a true 'Nattian. Go root on the buckeyes.

I hate the Bucks .... so F off ... I spend as much on / bleed as much blue as ANYONE here ....

broncosteven
Bronconation welcome to 2-14 and 4-12 seasons for the rest of our lives.

Oh and when we do make it to the SB it will be like the 80's all over again.

watermock
Shocking.

The Lone Bolt
12-30-2008, 04:03 PM

I hear Matt Millen is available!;D

Bob's your Information Minister
Poor Taco. Still in denial.

Bob

Thank you for speaking the truth, and those that have been calling for Shanny's head (for years) are spoiled as far as I'm concerned, or have a short memory -- who did we have before Shanny? I think he might be available...

ludo21
I agree TJ... this move is stupid stupid stupid...

I hope that it doesnt bite us in the ass, but I can now see 3 new coaches within the nexto 10 years.. ugh

baja
12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
The hell there is.

Shanahan was once an unknown. This will work out just fine TJ.

Here let me give you some of your own advise;

TJ - Please. We know you want to get rid of Mike Shanahan, so go ahead and get it out of your system now. Pretty soon, though, it's going to be clear that Shanahan is gone, and the focus will no longer be on whether Shanahan should be here or not, but what happens next.

So get it out now, but please - when that focus shifts to reality, lets keep the discussion on the moves the Broncos are making, and not the man, and have a productive offseason of discussion.

HEAV
12-30-2008, 04:05 PM

That's it let it all out...

Karma is bitch Issac.

WABronco
I didn't want this either, but Bowlen just ended an ERA. Extremely risky was the description I came up with, not gutless.

And, if you're not biased to such a degree where you're completely unwilling to acknowledge other points of view (sort of like all the assholes who would post random angry comments attacking Shanahan before this), there's a little justification in my opinion. Remove the emotion and you can begin to see a little reason to the current madness.

BTW, that picture of Bowlen is undescribably awesome.

TheReverend

Yeah. The #1 coaching option is now Mike Shanahan. He just got fired, we should bring him in.

Adam
12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I just gotta say I am so, so happy to see Shanahan leave Denver. I can't believe it! Don't worry, Bronco fans. Soon Herm will be available. :)

BroncoBuff
I agree TJ... this move is stupid stupid stupid...It all depends on who replaces him ... if we hire the right head coach and GM, and KEEP JIM GOODMAN AS PERSONNEL GUY, we might be better off.

I don't agree with firing Shanahan himself ... but after Mike said he was keeping stupid Slowick, firing Shanny was the only way to heal that mistake.

kamakazi_kal
The hell there is.

agreed. This is when a new coach "rebuilds" I really though we were some quality dt away from a good team.

god I hope it's not Martz.

Bob
The hell there is.

Cowher isnt a bad choice -- but he says he does not want to get into coaching in 2009 and I doubt he would be as good.

Spider
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
this is a mistake , but I hope who ever we bring in does a kick ass job

orinjkrush
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
archive this thread. let's bring it out in exactly one year.

phillybroncosnut
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
That's pretty low rent TJ. You don't have to like the firing (I don't either) but to out and out label a guy a "drunk" is pretty classless.

While I don't like seeing Shanny go, we will not be 2-14 or 4-12 next season. This team will make a run, especially if we bring in the right guys who will fix the D. Cough cough, spagnola, cough cough.

Bob
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
agreed. This is when a new coach "rebuilds" I really though we were some quality dt away from a good team.

god I hope it's not Martz.

Yeah we dont need a defence, we can just bring TO & Moss in and score 70 points a game -- damn shame our opponents would likley score 80...

Spider
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
archive this thread. let's bring it out in exactly one year.

1 year ? need at least 5 to tell if a HC will be successful

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
That's pretty low rent TJ. You don't have to like the firing (I don't either) but to out and out label a guy a "drunk" is pretty classless.

While I don't like seeing Shanny go, we will not be 2-14 or 4-12 next season. This team will make a run, especially if we bring in the right guys who will fix the D. Cough cough, spagnola, cough cough.

You'd have to be drunk to make such a gutless move and abandon the reubild effort Shanahan was putting together. How many runningbacks do we have on IR, and still managed to compete for the playoffs?

Screw Bowlen. He just set this organization on a path that nobody here is going to be happy with.

Bob
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Well, at least intoxication would explain things... and give Bowlen an out to tell Shanny -- sorry, I was drinking wood-alcohol again...

Malcontent
12-30-2008, 04:12 PM

REP!

And all y'all stop with the "end of an era" crap...Landry, Holmgren, Knoll, all got canned eventually. Prepare for the future..with reckless abandon.

Ace7

A predictable reaction...especially since you announced yesterday that Shanny will be going nowhere.

Is this your 'Get it out of your system now, Shanahan apologists!' thread?

BroncoInferno
The hell there is.

Don't be a drama queen. Cowher would obviously be a good option. Bringing over Pioli would be another. And there are qualified assistants out there too. Every coach is a rookie at some point and needs a chance to prove themselves. I would have preferred keeping Shanny, but why don't you just come down and let this thing play out before melting down?

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
You'd have to be drunk to make such a gutless move and abandon the reubild effort Shanahan was putting together. How many runningbacks do we have on IR, and still managed to compete for the playoffs?

Screw Bowlen. He just set this organization on a path that nobody here is going to be happy with.

I already cracked a bottle of whiskey. Someone's getting punched in the face tonight. Hopefully I don't pick the wrong one/too many.

BroncoInferno
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM

You have no idea if that is the case or not.

HAT
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
A predictable reaction...especially since you announced yesterday that Shanny will be going nowhere.

Is this your 'Get it out of your system now, Shanahan apologists!' thread?

Here's the revised version.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...please. We know you want to get keep Mike Shanahan, so go ahead and get it out of your system now. Pretty soon, though, it's going to be clear that Shanahan is going somewhere else, and the focus will no longer be on whether Shanahan should be here or not, but what happens next.

So get it out now, but please - when that focus shifts to reality, lets keep the discussion on the moves the Broncos are making, and not the man, and have a productive offseason of discussion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:thumbs:
Seems pretty reasonable to me!

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Don't be a drama queen. Cowher would obviously be a good option.

No he wouldn't. Screw Cowher. He's not all he's cracked up to be. And even still, I wish people would shut up about him. He's said he's not coming back to football until his daughter is out of high school in 2010.

yerner

Big wow. He called him a drunk. Go borrow you boyfriends testees.

broncofan7

STFU and go start CowboysMANE--b/c watch, that is where Shanny will wind up. I am a BRONCOS fan first..not a MIKEY fan first. I will buy the site from you. Let me know.

Beantown Bronco
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah I know, I am going to wait and see who is brought in. If it is Pioli and McDaniels then I will be estatic because they both might want to move into a 3-4 on defense. We all know Slowik is not coming back so thats good.

Ummmm, neither one of those guys knows a thing about coaching a defense.

HEAV
Sorry TJ my loyalty is towards the team not the man coaching the team.

GO BRONCOS!

Taco John
You have no idea if that is the case or not.

Oh, I do. It's a predictable thing. Shanahan goes somewhere else, and starts bringing his guys over. This always happens when an established coach moves to a new franchise.

We're going to lose both good players and good coaches.

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Sorry TJ my loyalty is towards the team not the man coaching the team.

GO BRONCOS!

So is mine.

And this team is about to face the toughest time in its existence.

baja
12-30-2008, 04:19 PM

You are wrong and you are doing just what you smugly asked everyone else that was frustrated with Shanny not to do.

TJ - please. We know you want to get rid of Mike Shanahan, so go ahead and get it out of your system now. Pretty soon, though, it's going to be clear that Shanahan is gone, and the focus will no longer be on whether Shanahan should be here or not, but what happens next.

Can you follow your own advice?

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:20 PM
You are wrong and you are doing just what you smugly asked everyone else that was frustrated with Shanny not to do.

No I'm not.

Mediator12

No, but you might want to see who McDaniels might want to be his DC :wave:

24champ

You are right but they both are familiar with the 3-4. My guess is they would bring in Crennel to run the D.

SureShot
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh, I do. It's a predictable thing. Shanahan goes somewhere else, and starts bringing his guys over. This always happens when an established coach moves to a new franchise.

You can count Turner is good as gone and possibly the Goodmans for that matter.

baja
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
If you ever wanted to switch to the 3 - 4 D now is the time to do it.

Popps
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Taco,

You just blab too much, dude. You never take the time to learn anything from the better posters here who were telling you this was coming... and needed to happen.

Things run their course. If you've watched the game long enough, you'd know.

kamakazi_kal
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah we dont need a defence, we can just bring TO & Moss in and score 70 points a game -- damn shame our opponents would likley score 80...

read it again .............. I said we were some quality DT away from a good team........ solid at corner decent at LB (maybe not MLB) we just never get any pass rush.

SoCalBronco
12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I just saw this on ESPNNEWS an hour ago and I couldn't believe it. Even when it was repeated like 5 times.

I agree with Taco, this is a huge error by Bowlen. Bowlen is a ****ing moron. Yeah, the season ended badly, it was very painful, but we also had to go through a ****load of injuries. Mike laid a great foundation for us. We were on the rise. He added an awesome array of young offensive talent. We're all pissed at his chokejob, but that doesn't justify this. He has flaws, but they were outweighed by his tremendous strengths.

I am so disappointed in Bowlen. And if he picks Cowher I'll be even more pissed. Cowher is STUPID. He's dumb. He's lacks intellect. He's a pure motivator, which is not bad for our team, but he lacks actual coaching ability. He needs to surround himself with coaches to succeed. I would truly hate Cowher.

I want Shanahan. Even a bloodied and humbled Shanahan. Because its he who has grown as a leader, who has improved as a drafter, who has become more responsible a spender and has laid a super foundation on offense. This smacks of childlike petulance on Bowlen's part. If Pat choked on his mink coat I probably wouldn't mind a whole lot. This will be a setback for the team. There's no one out there right now better than him as an actual football coach (by out there, I mean on the market, and on the whole, I think only Belichick exceeds him in purely football terms). This was totally unnecessary. This IS extremely harmful.

This is extremely stupid. **** you, Bowlen. I hope you get assraped by someone with a 15 inch dick. And AIDS.

Mike worked to get better. He started listening to others. He began drafting well. He was turning it around. NO ONE expected anything of us this year and he outdid all the expectations until we collapsed at the end.

This is the darkest day in my 17 year love affair with this team. I'm very offended by this. **** you, Bowlen. **** you.

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Taco,

You just blab too much, dude. You never take the time to learn anything from the better posters here who were telling you this was coming... and needed to happen.

Whatever. You wanted Coyer gone, and you got just the defense you deserved. Now you wanted Shanahan gone - you'll get just the team that you deserve... Let's hope that Jay sticks around, or you might end up with another Plummer, like you deserve.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Taco, buddy you need to relax. I wasn't for the firing but Bowlen is making a move that will better the organization. I think the straw that broke the Bowlens back was Shanny committing to Slowick for next year. I couldn't support him anymore and defend that.

Bowlen is a Savy owner and he will make the right move. Unless he brings in that joke Cowher. Than its bad news.

ghwk
12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you for speaking the truth, and those that have been calling for Shanny's head (for years) are spoiled as far as I'm concerned, or have a short memory -- who did we have before Shanny? I think he might be available...

Just heard TD on NFL radio and he said Shanny wasn't connecting with his younger players at all. Lotsa young players on this team....

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Taco,

Dude... that's silly.

Are you watching any of the coverage? This is THE headline because it's so shocking and they're throwing anonymous GM/HC coach quotes around about how dumb this move is and how he's STILL one of the top 2-3 coaches in the NFL.

Pat Bowlen
12-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Just to be clear, I've been accused of doing many things under the influence of alcohol and am guilty of many more. This decision was not one of them. Mike's been a hell of a coach for a long time, and it wasn't easy to move in a new direction, but it is what it is. I'll be laying low around here for awhile until we begin to put some pieces in place for next season and hope you will all remain every bit as faithful in the future as you were before today.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hit the bottle.

broncofan7
12-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I just saw this on ESPNNEWS an hour ago and I couldn't believe it. Even when it was repeated like 5 times.

I agree with Taco, this is a huge error by Bowlen. Bowlen is a ****ing moron. Yeah, the season ended badly, it was very painful, but we also had to go through a ****load of injuries. Mike laid a great foundation for us. We were on the rise. He added an awesome array of young offensive talent. We're all pissed at his chokejob, but that doesn't justify this. He has flaws, but they were outweighed by his tremendous strengths.

I am so disappointed in Bowlen. And if he picks Cowher I'll be even more pissed. Cowher is STUPID. He's dumb. He's lacks intellect. He's a pure motivator, which is not bad for our team, but he lacks actual coaching ability. He needs to surround himself with coaches to succeed. I would truly hate Cowher.

I want Shanahan. Even a bloodied and humbled Shanahan. Because its he who has grown as a leader, who has improved as a drafter, who has become more responsible a spender and has laid a super foundation on offense. This smacks of childlike petulance on Bowlen's part. If Pat choked on his mink coat I probably wouldn't mind a whole lot. This will be a setback for the team. There's no one out there right now better than him as an actual football coach (by out there, I mean on the market, and on the whole, I think only Belichick exceeds him in purely football terms). This was totally unnecessary. This IS extremely harmful.

This is extremely stupid. **** you, Bowlen. I hope you get assraped by someone with a 15 inch dick. And AIDS.

Mike worked to get better. He started listening to others. He began drafting well. He was turning it around. NO ONE expected anything of us this year and he outdid all the expectations until we collapsed at the end.

This is the darkest day in my 17 year love affair with this team. I'm very offended by this. **** you, Bowlen. **** you.

All that can be said is............i don't **** dudes and I don't have Aids.....

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
...Bowlen is making a move that will better the organization.

...not by a long shot.

You want to know what road this team is on? Examine the road the 49ers have taken. That's the road this team is on.

Spider
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Taco,

Did it have to happen ? I dont know , bu what i fear is a HC revolving door .....

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Everybody please quit telling Taco to relax ... he has a right to be po'd.

I think this is a mistake on offense, but then again we're so loaded on offense, CBF1 could coach us to a Top 5 finish next year in yards gained.

I must admit I AM relieved Slowick won't be around on defense, though. That;'s where we need a huge overhaul.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM

This was just awesome.

Start to finish.

I'd make this my sig but I think it's too colorful.

Bravo, my man.

ludo21
No, but you might want to see who McDaniels might want to be his DC :wave:

Let me guess, Coyer??? ;D

Popps
Whatever. You wanted Coyer gone, and you got just the defense you deserved. Now you wanted Shanahan gone - you'll get just the team that you deserve... Let's hope that Jay sticks around, or you might end up with another Plummer, like you deserve.

:rofl:

This is great. Never seen Taco in meld-down mode.

Awesome.

Like I said, you should be learning... not yapping. But, knock yourself out. Tell all of us fans who've been at this far longer than you what idiots we all are.

broncosteven
12-30-2008, 04:32 PM

As a Bronco fan it has been comforting to know that you are not on the coach carosel every year. We have had 3 ****ing coaches since 1981! THREE.

How many have Chicago, Atlanta, Cardinals, KFC, SD, Faid had in 25+ years?

Ace7
**** you, Bowlen. I hope you get assraped by someone with a 15 inch dick. And AIDS.

And to think you are a moderator in here. Wow, just wow.

theAPAOps5
...not by a long shot.

You want to know what road this team is on? Examine the road the 49ers have taken. That's the road this team is on.

I don't think so, too important of a time a bad choice now will ruin Bowlen as the team is at a crossroads. I think he will be very calculated in this.

Popps
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
And to think you are a moderator in here. Wow, just wow.

baja
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Aren't you the guy that always admonishes posters for classless posts?

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

This is great. Never seen Taco in meld-down mode.

Awesome.

Like I said, you should be learning... not yapping. But, knock yourself out. Tell all of us fans who've been at this far longer than you what idiots we all are.

I can only be a fan as long as I've been alive. I don't feel guilty about the length of my fanhood. And nobody learns anything useful from you except how consistently wrong you always are.

eddie mac
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Who on earth are we going to lose TJ that isn't already a turd???

Marshall an RFA in 2010 will be at least tagged 1st and 3rd rd tender if not extended before the uncapped year

Dumervil see Marshall probably a 2nd rd tender would cover Elvis

Kuper see Dumervil, I'd throw a 1st rd tender on him

Scheffler see Kuper, 2nd rd tender, more than enough to keep the often injured Scheff.

DJ Williams just signed a new 5 year deal

Champ Bailey under contract through 2010

Ryan Clady under contract through 2012

Eddie Royal under contract through 2011

Ryan Harris under contract through 2010

Jay Cutler under contract through 2011

Peyton Hillis under contract through 2011

Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen all 2 years left on their 3 year deals.

In all honesty bar a few average players/turds I really haven't missed anyone we might lose with Shanahan leaving.

Pat Bowlen is one of the smartest men in the NFL hence the 4 year contract for every single drafted rookie since 2006.

We aren't losing anyone of note anytime soon unless any new Coach doesn't want them here.

As for losing good coaches, who exactly???

Turner cant move unless Shanny made him an offensive co-ordinator. Dennison already is one ffs. Shanny's own personnel coaching moves here will actually restrict him from bringing in his own guys. It's actually perfect.

Fedaykin
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
What're the odds of us keeping Cutler now once his contract expires? I bet there are at least a half dozen teams salivating at the thought of a HC like Shanahan, and once he gets a job someplace else you can bet aquiring his favorite toy back will be a top priority.

Popps
...not by a long shot.

Well, let's see...

The 49ers had no defnese - we have no defense.

The 49ers had no stud QB - we have a stud QB with tons of weapons.

So, a coach can come into Denver and focus almost exclusively on defense while the 9ers basically had nothing.

Great analogy, dude.

OBF1
And what will you be saying when we have a better record next season than the one that just ended???

ScottXray
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
So is mine.

TJ, the TEAM was there Long before Shanahan, and before Bowlen.

Worse times? Go back to the sixties and the carousel of coaches and players we had there.

Frank Trippucka and the offenses that scored a lot but lost 10-12 games a year because they had NO defense. A LOT like where we have been headed.

Maybe we''ll regret it....maybe not. But it is going to be interesting seeing a defense that might compete in a few years.

Blame Slowik for Shannys demise...along with Coyer, Bates, Robinson and every other coordinator he threw under the bus when things went wrong.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Everyone has a right to be upset. I am not telling Taco to chill because its foolish to be upset. I just think Bowlen will make a very wise move and while I disagree with letting the coach go the move very well could end up for the better.

Dexter
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Am I the only one here by the way that has come close a couple time of actually puking? I'm dead serious. It may be the bad mexican food I ate, but this move makes me feel physically sick.

I feel like someone in my family just died. I wouldn't be surprised if I cried myself to sleep tonight. Yes, tears will be shed.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I love how Bowlen making what the NFL community is unanimously declaring a mistake somehow legitimizes every douche contrarian on the board in their own mind.

stugotsII
12-30-2008, 04:38 PM

The only thing gutless has been the coaching and personel decisions carried out by Shanahan.

BroncoInferno
So is mine.

Go ahead and have a good cry about it. Let it all out.

HEAV
Everyone.

This isn't the first time that a long standing head coach has left a franchise.

It happens.

But again this franchise has attractive reasons to come and coach here. Denver will get a solid coach that will rebuild the defense and special teams.

All I know is this. I can't wait for next season to get here!

I'm actually excited again about Broncos football!

colonelbeef
Watch how fast he gets hired. This was a terrible move.

Rock Chalk

Ladies and gentlemen.

It is official, this was the absolute right call by Bowlen.

Taco John thinks its a mistake and Taco John is NEVER right.

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Worse times? Go back to the sixties and the carousel of coaches and players we had there.

Frank Trippucka and the offenses that scored a lot but lost 10-12 games a year because they had NO defense. A LOT like where we have been headed.

Maybe we''ll regret it....maybe not. But it is going to be interesting seeing a defense that might compete in a few years.

Blame Slowik for Shannys demise...along with Coyer, Bates, Robinson and every other coordinator he threw under the bus when things went wrong.

Shanahans mistake was retaining slowik ( that was the last straw)

kamakazi_kal
12-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Did it have to happen ? I dont know , bu what i fear is a HC revolving door .....

agreed. you know we always have a chance with shanny on that sideline.

eddie mac
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
What're the odds of us keeping Cutler now once his contract expires? I bet there are at least a half dozen teams salivating at the thought of a HC like Shanahan, and once he gets a job someplace else you can bet aquiring his favorite toy back will be a top priority.

You do realise he's only 3 years through a 6 year contract???

Pretty sure if Shanahan gets a job this offseason he wont be waiting for 3 years on his superstar QB, cos if he did he wouldn't last 12 months in his new home.

ghwk
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
...not by a long shot.

Taco you could argue we've kind of been on this road, but just not quite as bad as SF, since Elway left. Just like SF lost Montana then Young, Seifert had one good year and they've been pretty bad ever since, so have we. I don't know how this will play out but we've been treading H2O for a decade now. Sometimes change can bring good things (except for our Defense apparently). Our advantage over SF is that we do have a promising QB and offense. SF is still trying to establish that. If we hire well you may be a very happy camper at this time next year.

HEAV
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, let's see...

The 49ers had no defnese - we have no defense.

The 49ers had no stud QB - we have a stud QB with tons of weapons.

So, a coach can come into Denver and focus almost exclusively on defense while the 9ers basically had nothing.

Great analogy, dude.

Ya I just don't see the 9er thing. That franchis had major ownership issues, and a bad front office.

The current state of the BRONCOS is nowhere near as bad as the 9ers where.

TheReverend
Watch how fast Klis and Woody Paige change their tune now.

BroncoInferno
Guys, I supported Shanny too and am skeptical of this move, but can't we wait to see Bowlen's move before wishing a large-dicked ass-raping upon him?

kamakazi_kal
Just heard TD on NFL radio and he said Shanny wasn't connecting with his younger players at all. Lotsa young players on this team....

that's just stupid............. look at coughlin they said the same thing about him now they won't stop riding dudes nuts.

its not just the coach things have to fall into place and you need some luck to win the superbowl.

ghwk
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
So is mine.

Go ahead and have a good cry about it. Let it all out.

Hey I remember the early 70's, you want to face tough times go back and look at those losses year after year to EVERYONE when we only had Floyd Little to save the team. I remember Alzado playing for the Raiders and just cold cocking one of our guys. Times will never be as bad as that.

TDmvp
Last year i had this spooky dream of us firing Mike last year and in the dream Al Davis walks to a bank of mics and says he is stepping away from the media light and going to enjoy some time with his family and fixing the one mistake he ever made , and he would like to introduce to you the new coach and president of football operations mike Shanahan ...

Either way this move was Stupid .... you let him retool and get all this young talent to groom for a run at a title , and in a year where half the team misses weeks of football or is on IR you fire him .... We look as stupid as the Jets ...

orinjkrush
Just to be clear, I've been accused of doing many things under the influence of alcohol and am guilty of many more. This decision was not one of them. Mike's been a hell of a coach for a long time, and it wasn't easy to move in a new direction, but it is what it is. I'll be laying low around here for awhile until we begin to put some pieces in place for next season and hope you will all remain every bit as faithful in the future as you were before today.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hit the bottle.

hit it hard, dude. you earned it.

tomorrow is the start of a new era...

ghwk
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
that's just stupid............. look at coughlin they said the same thing about him now they won't stop riding dudes nuts.

its not just the coach things have to fall into place and you need some luck to win the superbowl.

But Coughlin went through his revolt in his first two years at the Giants which is to be expected. Different situation here.

kamakazi_kal
12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Who on earth are we going to lose TJ that isn't already a turd???

Marshall an RFA in 2010 will be at least tagged 1st and 3rd rd tender if not extended before the uncapped year

Dumervil see Marshall probably a 2nd rd tender would cover Elvis

Kuper see Dumervil, I'd throw a 1st rd tender on him

Scheffler see Kuper, 2nd rd tender, more than enough to keep the often injured Scheff.

DJ Williams just signed a new 5 year deal

Champ Bailey under contract through 2010

Ryan Clady under contract through 2012

Eddie Royal under contract through 2011

Ryan Harris under contract through 2010

Jay Cutler under contract through 2011

Peyton Hillis under contract through 2011

Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen all 2 years left on their 3 year deals.

In all honesty bar a few average players/turds I really haven't missed anyone we might lose with Shanahan leaving.

Pat Bowlen is one of the smartest men in the NFL hence the 4 year contract for every single drafted rookie since 2006.

We aren't losing anyone of note anytime soon unless any new Coach doesn't want them here.

As for losing good coaches, who exactly???

Turner cant move unless Shanny made him an offensive co-ordinator. Dennison already is one ffs. Shanny's own personnel coaching moves here will actually restrict him from bringing in his own guys. It's actually perfect.

your not taking into thought that most of those players won't make it to those last years as contracts for the most part are backloaded and are not very cap friendly without restructure.......champ for example.

Bronx33
Thunderdome? i like it!

SoDak Bronco
Love my Broncos but I hate this move.

Popps
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Dude... that's silly.

Are you watching any of the coverage? This is THE headline because it's so shocking and they're throwing anonymous GM/HC coach quotes around about how dumb this move is and how he's STILL one of the top 2-3 coaches in the NFL.

Again, man... watch football for as long as I have and you'll see this over and over. He's not the first great coach to move on and won't be the last.

THINGS RUN THEIR COURSE.

It just happens. Nothing lasts forever, and people can act as "shocked" about it as they want. Shanahan just had total control over the worst playoff decade for this franchise since its inception.

It was time to move on. Will we be better? Who knows. Will he do well elsewhere? Probably so. That still doesn't negate the circumstances that have made themselves so blatantly apparent for those who've watched the game long enough.

Shula... Knoll... Parcells.... on and on. Great coaches have been let go, fired, quit... since the dawn of the game.

If you couldn't see that Shanahan's tenure here was stale and expired, you just weren't looking closely enough.

I absolutely love the guy and what he's done for us. But, time marches on.

extralife
12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
For ****s sake Schefter thiks Bowlen did this because the fans wanted him to and in "dark economic times" Bowlen wants to fill seats. This organization is a shell of what it once was. Dark days.

yerner
12-30-2008, 04:51 PM
my favorite thread of the day. bowlen should stay clear of magic johnson methinks.

eddie mac
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
your not taking into thought that most of those players won't make it to those last years as contracts for the most part are backloaded and are not very cap friendly without restructure.......champ for example.

Champ had a cap hit of near $13m this year, if he's good enough to continue playing at a top level Denver will continue to pay him, regardless it's got nothing to do with Shanahan leaving it would've been the same situation if he was still here.

BTW none of the rest of those deals are backloaded at all bar Cutler's.

broncofan7
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I love how Bowlen making what the NFL community is unanimously declaring a mistake somehow legitimizes every douche contrarian on the board in their own mind.

Awww--look whose mangina is hurt......STFU---go Follow Shanny to Dallas.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Well Orange 4 Life will be pleased that his infamous thread is now replaced!

Taco John
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Again, man... watch football for as long as I have and you'll see this over and over.

What are you? 40?

Yeah... You've got so many years on us all. If I only had that extra 7 years of football knowledge... ROFL!

Get over yourself already.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Good post ... it's amazing how douchebags gloat over any percieved stroke of fate that "reinforces" their position. But this firing is only a bad move on the offensive side of the ball.

On defense, Bowlen wanted him to can Slowick, and Mike refused.

There you have it. It's a matter of record now.

summerdenver
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
In the long run this will help Mike more than Broncos. He was set in his own ways and its hard for him to change. He is out of touch with reality to insist on retaining slowik.

If anything he waited a year too long. Thats the difference between Bill Parcels and all the other coaches. Bill always left at the right time. If Shanny had left last year on his own and took Atl or Bal job, he would be on the way to winning his 3rd SB.

Broncos4tw
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I was very shocked by this decision. However, when talking on the phone with my brother about this, he heard a rumor that Shanahan was considering a trade with Dallas for Romo and a draft pick, for Cutler. If this is true, then this perhaps is the real reason for the firing.

If it was just because he said he was not going to fire Slowik, at worst, I think Bowlen should have overstepped Mike's authority and fired Slowik.

There are very few coaches who can game-plan like Mike. He is intelligent, savvy and knows football. Unless we get someone amazing (and there isn't much available), this was a bad idea. You have to not just consider what Shanahan did wrong (though I thought he did great this year, with what he had to work with), but what you have to replace him with.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
HA there is no way Shanahan was going to trade Cutler for Romo and a pick. Does your brother ride the light rail.

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Good gawd Taco, step back from the ledge. Shanny lost the team and if he was wanting to keep Slowick he lost his mind as well! For god's sake we had people comparing us to the Lions and Cardinals and Bengals in terms of success. Look at what he's done lately. Can you honestly say that at your job if your goal was to sell/make $1,000,000 worth of product you would have lasted 10 years with only making that quota once? That's what Shanny has done. That $1m was winning in the playoffs. Once in the last 10 years.

I really like Mike Shanahan and hope to dear god he doesn't end up anywhere in the AFC. Maybe we get lucky and he goes to Tampa or Dallas! At any rate, it was time for a change. Not necessarily for the sake of change but that is certainly part of it. Fresh perspective was a must. You'll adapt and if the Broncos win you'll come around on picture day... just don't expect too many wins next year. The crap defense Shanny allowed will take a few years to fix just as it took a few years to assemble the great offense he left us with.

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I was very shocked by this decision. However, when talking on the phone with my brother about this, he heard a rumor that Shanahan was considering a trade with Dallas for Romo and a draft pick, for Cutler. If this is true, then this perhaps is the real reason for the firing.

If it was just because he said he was not going to fire Slowik, at worst, I think Bowlen should have overstepped Mike's authority and fired Slowik.

There are very few coaches who can game-plan like Mike. He is intelligent, savvy and knows football. Unless we get someone amazing (and there isn't much available), this was a bad idea. You have to not just consider what Shanahan did wrong (though I thought he did great this year, with what he had to work with), but what you have to replace him with.

Does your brother drink wild turkey?

broncofan7
HA there is no way Shanahan was going to trade Cutler for Romo and a pick. Does your brother ride the light rail.

He must--LOL.

TheReverend
Awww--look whose mangina is hurt......STFU---go Follow Shanny to Dallas.

Because that's rational... :rofl:

bpc
It's a terrible day to be a bronco fan.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 05:04 PM
It's a terrible day to be a bronco fan.

How some people don't understand such a simple tenet is beyond me.

Broncos4tw
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM

I think he drinks Jack. But yes, he is my older brother, and therefore, could be out of his mind. I think he heard it from a co-worker, not sure.

Ace7
There is no way Shanahan was going to trade Cutler for Romo and a pick.

No way indeed. Thus, he was fired. ;)

Maybe Shanny and Wade will swap places? ;D

elsid13

on the light rail

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Again, man... watch football for as long as I have and you'll see this over and over. He's not the first great coach to move on and won't be the last.

THINGS RUN THEIR COURSE.

It just happens. Nothing lasts forever, and people can act as "shocked" about it as they want. Shanahan just had total control over the worst playoff decade for this franchise since its inception.

It was time to move on. Will we be better? Who knows. Will he do well elsewhere? Probably so. That still doesn't negate the circumstances that have made themselves so blatantly apparent for those who've watched the game long enough.

Shula... Knoll... Parcells.... on and on. Great coaches have been let go, fired, quit... since the dawn of the game.

If you couldn't see that Shanahan's tenure here was stale and expired, you just weren't looking closely enough.

Exactly how I feel. He truly has given Denver their best sports years and I'll always be a fan of Mike Shanahan. I'll root for him for as long as he coaches but it was time for a change.

gunns
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Depends who we Keep too. If Bates, Dennison and Turner Stay I would be real Happy. Won't Miss Slowick.

Eliminate Dennison and I'm with ya!

summerdenver
12-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Cheer up guys. Broncos will miss Shanny the coach but he was much more than that. He coach + what parcells is to Miami. Broncos need a change in the second part to take the next step. Whatever sucesses we had in the recent past in draft or FA, they are mostly on the offensive side. We continue to miss of draft and FA on defensive side and we need a change.

broncofan7
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Because that's rational... :rofl:

Veteran loaded offense + openning of a new stadium + Jerry Jones wanting to create a Buzz before next season and the openning of that stadium= Very good guess as to his next destination.

gunns
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM

That's the truth. It's scary to think what might be but it was time.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Good gawd Taco, step back from the ledge. Shanny lost the team and if he was wanting to keep Slowick he lost his mind as well! For god's sake we had people comparing us to the Lions and Cardinals and Bengals in terms of success. Look at what he's done lately. Can you honestly say that at your job if your goal was to sell/make $1,000,000 worth of product you would have lasted 10 years with only making that quota once? That's what Shanny has done. That $1m was winning in the playoffs. Once in the last 10 years.

I really like Mike Shanahan and hope to dear god he doesn't end up anywhere in the AFC. Maybe we get lucky and he goes to Tampa or Dallas! At any rate, it was time for a change. Not necessarily for the sake of change but that is certainly part of it. Fresh perspective was a must. You'll adapt and if the Broncos win you'll come around on picture day... just don't expect too many wins next year. The crap defense Shanny allowed will take a few years to fix just as it took a few years to assemble the great offense he left us with.

Accord to Cutler interview with CBS4. They asked him about it, and Cutler clearly stated this team liked playing for him and he hoped that there "was some gameplan to replace the best coach in the league"

gunns
12-30-2008, 05:12 PM

QFT.

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Good post ... it's amazing how douchebags gloat over any percieved stroke of fate that "reinforces" their position. But this firing is only a bad move on the offensive side of the ball.

X and O's coaches are already set in place... plus there are great offensive minds in football from the pros to college.

Change is good people.

Rigs11
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Now the real rebuilding begins. Bravo bowlen!

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
How some people don't understand such a simple tenet is beyond me.

Of course it's a terrible day to be a Bronco fan, we just fired the best coach in franchise history and quite possibly the best coach we'll ever see. But you have to admit that it was troubling that Shanhan wanted to keep Slowick with the season we had.

Popps
12-30-2008, 05:16 PM
The funny thing is going to be watching Taco work his grudge on our new coach. This is going to be like his Brian Griese hangover x 10. We could win the next 5 SBs in a row, and Taco's going to be ripping our next coach.

Write it down, folks. It's going to be hysterical.

lazarus4444
12-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Now that post above defines the term classless, nice one.

Play2win
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
So, because Shanny didn't do his usual thing and fire the D-Coord as a scapegoat, this year Shanny became the scapegoat...

HEAV
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
So, because Shanny didn't do his usual thing and fire the D-Coord as a scapegoat, this year Shanny became the scapegoat...

Shanny forgot that he doesn't the write the pay checks, Bowlen does.

baja
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Veteran loaded offense + openning of a new stadium + Jerry Jones wanting to create a Buzz before next season and the openning of that stadium= Very good guess as to his next destination.

Shanahan and jerry Jones on the same team - I don't think so. But it would be fun to watch.

Shanny has a better chance for going back to the raiders

baja
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
That's the truth. It's scary to think what might be but it was time.

Great line - says it all.

Bronkota
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Thank You Mr Bowlen!

PM me and I will send you a case of your favorite scotch and a baseball bat to beat off SOCalBroncos buddies....

Jens1893
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Denver Broncos > Mike Shanahan

baja
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
The funny thing is going to be watching Taco work his grudge on our new coach. This is going to be like his Brian Griese hangover x 10. We could win the next 5 SBs in a row, and Taco's going to be ripping our next coach.

Made me laugh out loud on a sad day.

Spider
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I am still trying to deal with this .........

baja
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
It is a shock no doubt even though I think it was necessary.

Must have been hard as hell for Bowlen to do

ol number 7
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Made me laugh out loud on a sad day.

Bowlen obviously felt the same as I did after the S.D. game. Enough friggin enough. If I turned the game off in the third quarter that sums it up for me. Get excited about the future. Mr. B has BIG plans for this team.:wave:

lazarus4444
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought the Broncos were a stale organization and i was on board for Shanahan "resigning" but when i heard the news i still felt like i just broke up with a psychotic gf. I was relieved but sad at the same time.

Sir_Robin
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, no AFL this season, Elway can't OWN the Broncos, so perhaps....

J/k.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Great day to be a bronco fan! I was just telling a buddy last night that as a bronco fan I had no hope because we were stickin with Slo. It woulda been deja vu next year. Now there is hope! That said, thanks Mike, and good luck!

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM

I was talking about your "STFU and go follow him to Dallas!!!!!!!!!!1111" little girl rant you threw at me.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Bowlen can go **** himself. You don't drop a HOF coach that the team --- and the ****ing fanbase --- still want to coach your team.

<strike>Denver</strike> Bowlen Broncos

Bronkota
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Bowlen can go **** himself. You don't drop a HOF coach that the team --- and the ****ing fanbase --- still want to coach your team.

<strike>Denver</strike> Bowlen Broncos

I love how people think he is a HOF coach. He is the best coach Denver has ever had but he has tarnished his HOF status in recent years. He should be in the Ring of Fame but he will need to do some work to get into the HOF.....

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I love how people think he is a HOF coach. He is the best coach Denver has ever had but he has tarnished his HOF status in recent years. He should be in the Ring of Fame but he will need to do some work to get into the HOF.....

Huh?

Taco John
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Shanahan could retire today and be in the HOF on his first ballot.

Bronkota
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
No way Taco.

Denver players who should be in the Hall are not and Shanny would be looked at the same way...

Taco John
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM
No way Taco.

Denver players who should be in the Hall are not and Shanny would be looked at the same way...

Clueless.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM

So be it.

Getting divorced soon? Or is that still a few years from being stale and expired? Maybe you don't notice it so you're just not looking closely enough. See how absurd that is?

**** off Popps. Go run your age bull**** someplace else, because it's not applicable to a retarded conversation.

Find even one decent Broncos poster who thinks this is a good decision. Don't exist because this is ****ing dumb no matter how old you are.

Kaylore
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Taco, why don't you wait and see who we bring in and how they do before we talk about how crappy this move was?

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Taco, why don't you wait and see who we bring in and how they do before we talk about how crappy this move was?

Because no one's even comparable.

We can go with some unproven lottery, OR we can look at the likes of Mangini and company.

**** me with a cactus, this sucks. Some NFL team just fell ass first into marrying a bi-sexual, double jointed, mega rich, nympho supermodel, though.

DenverBrit
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Taco, you're missing the point of Bowlen firing Shanahan.

It was to take our minds off the meltdown in San Diego.

Looking at the Mane, his cunning plan has worked. ;D

Taco John
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Why wait?

I already know that we just got done with an unprecedented two-year rebuild of the offense. We all already knew that all of our resources at this point was going to be to focus on the defense.

Now what do we have? New coaches coming in. New terminology. New playbook. New everything on both sides of the ball. And we're going to lose both coaches and players in the long run over this.

And frankly, nobody they bring in is going to be better than the man who was architecting this rebuild. We have 7 RBs on IR, and we still were competing for a playoff spot.

I understand that people were angry with Slowik, but that doesn't change the fact that all he got to install was his terminology, and never got to install his actual scheme. Whatever that scheme is, all I know is that the best offensive mind in football saw something in it to go down with the ship with.

Spider
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
So be it.

Getting divorced soon? Or is that still a few years from being stale and expired? Maybe you don't notice it so you're just not looking closely enough. See how absurd that is?

**** off Popps. Go run your age bull**** someplace else, because it's not applicable to a retarded conversation.

Find even one decent Broncos poster who thinks this is a good decision. Don't exist because this is ****ing dumb no matter how old you are.

Just a shot in the dark here , but I am guessing you dont agree with Popps ;D

baja
Taco, So Cal and TheReverend;

All going ballistic, sorry guys It is entertaining to read you right now. This will all work out fine I know it seems dark right now because Shanny truly is a great coach but he also truly got stale here. We were stuck in a rut on D and it looked like no way out I think Pat had no choice and he loves Shanny as much as we all do. He better make a good hire though or I will join your ballistic rants.

SouthStndJunkie
I had a lake perch dinner and 4 tall red bull and vodkas to think this over.

I still don't like the move.

Bowlen better pick a damn good coach.

DenverBrit
Why wait?

I already know that we just got done with an unprecedented two-year rebuild of the offense. We all already knew that all of our resources at this point was going to be to focus on the defense.

Now what do we have? New coaches coming in. New terminology. New playbook. New everything on both sides of the ball. And we're going to lose both coaches and players in the long run over this.

And frankly, nobody they bring in is going to be better than the man who was architecting this rebuild. We have 7 RBs on IR, and we still were competing for a playoff spot.

I understand that people were angry with Slowik, but that doesn't change the fact that all he got to install was his terminology, and never got to install his actual scheme. Whatever that scheme is, all I know is that the best offensive mind in football saw something in it to go down with the ship with.

You weren't thinking that the defense was going to be re-built in one year, were you?
So it's the perfect time to make changes.......agree with them or not.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

No sane man would. The analogy shows how silly it is. When things work, they work no matter how long it's been.

Bronkota
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Because no one's even comparable.

We can go with some unproven lottery, OR we can look at the likes of Mangini and company.

**** me with a cactus, this sucks. Some NFL team just fell ass first into marrying a bi-sexual, double jointed, mega rich, nympho supermodel, though.

She was was at the right place at the right time. A supermodel with TD and Elway. 10 years of laying around and getting fat is a bitch...

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Why wait?

Yep. What a great time to retool the offense. Dump the terminology, dump the zone blocking (which is very likely), and dump the scheme. Our line isn't even suited for another scheme. What a ****ing waste.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Taco So Cal and TheReverend

All going ballistic sorry guys this is entertaining to read you right now. This will all work out fine I know it seems dark right now because Shanny truly is a great coach but he also truly got stale here. We were stuck in a rut on D and it looked like no way out I think Pat had no choice and he loves Shanny as much as we all do. He better make a good hire though or I will join your ballistic rants.

I've got a LONG ways to go before I hit ballistic for me. I'm actually semi cautiously optimistic despite the fact that the retards are apparently running the asylum.

Cutler doesn't like the move. The rest of our offensive unit probably feels the same. The defense shouldn't ****ing count considering they're all either track stars or have full blown vaginas.

Bates probably wishes he had taken the Tenn gig.

What's ONE single bright side to look at?

ScottXray
Clueless.

Until Shanahan takes a team to, and wins, a Super Bowl
without John Elway, Shannon Sharpe, zimmerman, Atwater,
Crockett etc, etc on it he will NEVER be in the Hall of Fame.

If he does that THEN he will go in after retiring.

He might get there if he gets handed a team like Dallas, or SD.

But I aint counting on it.

TheReverend
She was was at the right place at the right time. A supermodel with TD and Elway. 10 years of laying around and getting fat is a b****...

Go back to lurking you dumb ****.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Taco,

Yea, all the crybabies on here had it all laid out for them over the last few days. The lesson here is to shut up and pay attention.

But keep this thread going, it's very entertaining watching you all wallow in your unfounded self pity. You're all still living in the late 90's with this "Shanahan is god" crapola. Unbelievable.

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I seem to have stumbled into the Drama Queen Rodeo. To paraphrase Romanowski, hey, sometimes your **** gets old and nobody is listening to you anymore. Bowlen is one of the best owners in the league, if not the best. And most of the drama queens on this board were saying that last week. I would guess that Bowlen offered Shanahan a reduced position, maybe just HC, which Mike refused. But Bowlen made the right decision. Shanahan was never going to create a championship defense in Denver. Never. His stubborn attachment to Slowitz was the last straw. Believe me, I'm not worried. Everybody likes to crow about how Shanahan will be on a new team next week, blah, blah, blah. Well, guess what? The head coaching position of the Denver Broncos is the cream of the crop in the NFL. This fan base and this owner make it so. There will be coaches lining up for this interview. Bowlen will have his pick. Hopefully, he splits the positions up the way they should be: GM, HC, DC, OC. KISS

DenverBrit
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep. What a great time to retool the offense. Dump the terminology, dump the zone blocking (which is very likely), and dump the scheme. Our line isn't even suited for another scheme. What a ****ing waste.

Why would it be likely that Denver would 'dump' the zone blocking or any/some/all of the offensive coaches and terminology??
The team needs D and lots of it, I doubt Bowlen will bring in someone to ditch the part that has worked very well. The Offense.

JCMElway
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
So is mine.

Um, no. 1960-1974 were the darkest days for this franchise and I don't think we'll sink to those depths again.

epicSocialism4tw
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
The hell there is.

There isnt a Mike Shanahan, that's for certain.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM

No, that's not it. It's shocking because of the assumed lifetime arrangement Shanahan had. Yes he's a good coach but his failure was as a GM. Shanahan the GM got fired, not the coach. This bad defense is a result of years of bad personnel decisions and it finally caught up with him. You can only live off your now 10 year old past success for so long. Three years out of the playoffs: bye bye. Thanks for the memories.

Rohirrim

Dennison is still under contract I believe. He learned from the master, Alex Gibbs. The Zone Blocking isn't going anywhere. Who knows, maybe Rick moves up to OC?

baja
I've got a LONG ways to go before I hit ballistic for me. I'm actually semi cautiously optimistic despite the fact that the retards are apparently running the asylum.

Cutler doesn't like the move. The rest of our offensive unit probably feels the same. The defense shouldn't ****ing count considering they're all either track stars or have full blown vaginas.

Bates probably wishes he had taken the Tenn gig.

What's ONE single bright side to look at?

We positioned ourselves to get unstuck on D which was making us a perenial 8 & 8 team with a great offense.

The list will grow when we see who is coming in. A bad choice and we all may go ballistic but Pat is a good football man with lots of connections and he does have the best job to offer in the NFL so he can have whoever he wants.

epicSocialism4tw
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM

You stay classy.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Why would it be likely that Denver would 'dump' the zone blocking or any/some/all of the offensive coaches and terminology??
The team needs D and lots of it, I doubt Bowlen will bring in someone to ditch the part that has worked very well. The Offense.

The Head Coach brings in his assistants, especially ones with any standing - not the owner. Very few coaches believe in the zone blocking the way we did it. Look at the short list, tell me who is going to carry over our blocking scheme?

2KBack
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Soooooo....who hired Shanahan in the first place? Maybe we should talk to that guy to find out if he can get us another coach.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Watch how fast Klis and Woody Paige change their tune now.

You will too. Just wait and see.

ScottXray
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM

QFT. And don't forget that there are a LOT of other teams that are adopting the ZBS too, and the RBBC because putting all your eggs in one basket means you are one injury away from losing a lot.

I doubt that assistant Head coaches Dennison and Bates go anywhere, unless they WANT to.

I don't think that any good coach brought in will dump the part of the team that IS working. And I doubt Pat will allow that kind of turn over without suitable replacements that fit the offensive personnel we have either.

He 's not looking to get rid of Shanahan....he's looking for IMPROVEMENT!

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Dennison is still under contract I believe. He learned from the master, Alex Gibbs. The Zone Blocking isn't going anywhere. Who knows, maybe Rick moves up to OC?

Again, HC's bring in their own assistants. If Dennison or anyone else stays, it will be because our new HC decides they should (which means they'll be hands off the offense, not likely). LeBeau in Pittsburgh is one of the few times I can think of something similiar happening - which was an incredibly unique situation.

fontaine
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Why wait?

Bowlen doesn't make this move unless he's pretty sure he can get a great replacement. There are plenty of very good DC out there that can do a helluva job and much better than Slowik.

Secondly, our offense is set. As cruel as it is, Mike has setup this offense very well for the new guy to come in and take over and do a good job with it unless we get a complete moron like Turner so I'm not worried there.

Thirdly, there is NO denying that Shanahan was just treading water when it comes to the defense. Shanahan could be here for another 5 years and still do nothing to fix the defense because he's tried everything and come up short.

Bring in a hard knocks coach like Cowher with a new GM and when it comes to assistant coaches? The only ones worth keeping are Dennison/Turner/Jeremy Bates and if we retain two out of three we'll be fine. These guys are under contract which means they can't just run off somewhere and the last time they checked they're being paid very well and know what a great place Denver is to work so I'm not worried.

And lastly, Bowlen needs to be applauded for making the move for the fans and franchise towards a SuperBowl. Calling him drunk/gutless is just silly.

go_broncos
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you Bowlen for firing Mike Shanahan.

Our team has won ONE playoff game in 10 years.

Bowlen has given enough chances to Mike.

We couldn't win the division after leading by 3 games.

Mike was great 10 years back.

I am happy that bowlen realized it and fired him.

Good decision...

GO BRONCOS..

TheReverend
We positioned ourselves to get unstuck on D which was making us a perenial 8 & 8 team with a great offense.

The list will grow when we see who is coming in. A bad choice and we all may go ballistic but Pat is a good football man with lots of connections and he does have the best job to offer in the NFL so he can have whoever he wants.

Is he really?

Name the good football move he's made outside of Mike Shanahan?

baja
maybe Shanahan will take the head coaching job when he has a chance to think things through. Stranger things have happened.

TonyR

Listen to yourself. I'm embarassed for you. All you crybabies wanted Slowik gone. Now he's gone, right? Shouldn't you be happy?

It. Was. Time.

Meck77

No Bowlen sobered up for just one brief moment. I've been telling you all along that Shanny lost focus because of his personal/business dealings. The lack of success of the Broncos in this tough economy would have hurt Bowlen's bottom line heading into next season. It was a financial decision and probably a tough one for pat.

You can't fear change. Shanny did some great things here but Shanny is not the Denver Broncos. You just can't do the same thing over and over and expect different results. Shanny's ego got in the way at the end. I'm sure of that.

I'm not surprised at this at all. Actually I think it's a fresh new opportunity for Cutler and Co to thrive under some new blood and new energy. :thumbsup:

Sorry Mike loved ya man but you fired everyone and this time it was your turn.

My gut says Bowlen wouldn't have cut Mike without a plan. :pimp:

Bronkota

LOL.

I will after Shannys *** has dried on your face.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
No, that's not it. It's shocking because of the assumed lifetime arrangement Shanahan had. Yes he's a good coach but his failure was as a GM. Shanahan the GM got fired, not the coach. This bad defense is a result of years of bad personnel decisions and it finally caught up with him. You can only live off your now 10 year old past success for so long. Three years out of the playoffs: bye bye. Thanks for the memories.

The past three years have had the best drafts in the national football league...

frerottenextelway
maybe Shanahan will take the head coaching job when he has a chance to think things through. Stranger things have happened.

makes sense. we're the best opening and he's the best coach out there. seems like a good match.

TheReverend
You stay classy.

Says the guy who changed his name because Apa and I embarrassed you too much.

Silly ******... you'll always be DramaLlama.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Soooooo....who hired Shanahan in the first place? Maybe we should talk to that guy to find out if he can get us another coach.

Dan Reeves?

yavoon
12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Shanahan was once an unknown. This will work out just fine TJ.

Here let me give you some of your own advise;

potc(post of the century)

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Is he really?

He fired Reeves. He put the Tommy Maddox **** to rest and signed Elway for the duration, he built a new stadium, he wrote the TV contract that saved a lot of teams in this league, etc.

broncocalijohn
Somewhere broncofan2438 is using this breaking news to bail out and show his new (or alternate) team jersey of the Raiders.

baja
Is he really?

He fired him

TonyR
12-30-2008, 06:59 PM

It already is! These people are unbelievable. I knew a lot of these guys couldn't see the forest for the trees but I had no idea how deep and entrenched the delusion was. Wow.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
He fired him

Tonight's one of the nights that I hate you.

baja
I'm gonna go ahead and call it this is a sure fire Hall of Fame thread. MMW

Rohirrim
Is this meltdown better than the famous Jake meltdown?

Popps
12-30-2008, 07:02 PM

It's got potential.

The title alone puts it in the ballpark.

Meck77
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I can understand this is tough for the fans that don't remember other coaches with the Broncos. You can bet our defense has a fighting chance with some new leadership. It was clear shanny was clueless hot to put one together. I'm excited.

broncocalijohn
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM

I think that was one of the original meltdown threads and we knew it could only be Jake. As for TJ, I didnt see this one coming.

baja
Tonight's one of the nights that I hate you.

LOL.

I know you can't see it but this is going to turn out OK

I love Shanny too, you know that. It's scary but I honestly think this is the right move if the right combination of people are brought in...

SouthStndJunkie
The Mike Shanahan Era was the best 14 year stretch in Denver Broncos history by far.

146-91 is a pretty damn good record.

This better not come back to bite us in the ass.

DenverBrit
The Head Coach brings in his assistants, especially ones with any standing - not the owner. Very few coaches believe in the zone blocking the way we did it. Look at the short list, tell me who is going to carry over our blocking scheme?

If Bowlen brings in a former DC.....as I believe he will, leaving the offensive scheme in place would seem likely as he would have his hands full.
The offense is really set........except for the MASH unit of RBs.
Not every change of HC means wholesale changes for changes sake.

One thing is certain, Slowic won't be the new head coach.

Meck77
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
The Mike Shanahan Era was the best 14 year stretch in Denver Broncos history by far.

146-91 is a pretty damn good record.

This better not come back to bite us in the ass.

Great run but we could have easily gone another 5 years of doing jack **** doing the same tired routine.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I can understand this is tough for the fans that don't remember other coaches with the Broncos. You can bet our defense has a fighting chance with some new leadership. It was clear shanny was clueless hot to put one together. I'm excited.

It's tough for me because I do remember other coaches. I remember Phillips and Reeves all too well.

baja
12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
It already is! These people are unbelievable. I knew a lot of these guys couldn't see the forest for the trees but I had no idea how deep and entrenched the delusion was. Wow.

Truthfully you ain't seen nothing yet.

This will be by far the most entertaining off season ever. TJ may not be able to turn on the avatars for months.

rastaman
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
You can count Turner is good as gone and possibly the Goodmans for that matter.

You may also count in Brandon Marshall becoming a FA and getting out of Denver as well, especially if this team as loosing records for the next 2 years and the offense production SUCKS.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I seem to have stumbled into the Drama Queen Rodeo. To paraphrase Romanowski, hey, sometimes your **** gets old and nobody is listening to you anymore. Bowlen is one of the best owners in the league, if not the best. And most of the drama queens on this board were saying that last week. I would guess that Bowlen offered Shanahan a reduced position, maybe just HC, which Mike refused. But Bowlen made the right decision. Shanahan was never going to create a championship defense in Denver. Never. His stubborn attachment to Slowitz was the last straw. Believe me, I'm not worried. Everybody likes to crow about how Shanahan will be on a new team next week, blah, blah, blah. Well, guess what? The head coaching position of the Denver Broncos is the cream of the crop in the NFL. This fan base and this owner make it so. There will be coaches lining up for this interview. Bowlen will have his pick. Hopefully, he splits the positions up the way they should be: GM, HC, DC, OC. KISS

Good post. Funny how a few days ago it was "thank god Bowlen isn't an idiot like these people who want to replace Shanahan". SO afraid of change. You can't succeed in business or life if you don't take any risks and be willing and able to accept change. Going on and on about a coach who has one playoff win and one division win in ten years like he's been dominating the NFL. Newsflash: the Shanahan Broncos haven't dominated in this league for 10 years! Move on and get over it!

Popps
No Bowlen sobered up for just one brief moment.

Exactly. The irony of this goofball thread is the title. The real guts came in pulling the trigger... not standing pat. (No pun intended.)

I've been telling you all along that Shanny lost focus because of his personal/business dealings. mp:

I posted an article last night from a Denver writer who referenced these things as well. You called this long ago.

You can't fear change. Shanny did some great things here but Shanny is not the Denver Broncos. You just can't do the same thing over and over and expect different results. Shanny's ego got in the way at the end. I'm sure of that.

I'm not surprised at this at all. Actually I think it's a fresh new opportunity for Cutler and Co to thrive under some new blood and new energy. :thumbsup:

Sorry Mike loved ya man but you fired everyone and this time it was your turn.

My gut says Bowlen wouldn't have cut Mike without a plan. :pimp:

QFT

Rohirrim
I can't wait until we get a new DC in here, cut the Goodman's loose on the draft, get rid of the dead weight, bring a whole new personality to the defense, and come out of the gate with a resurrected Orange Crush. Hopefully, Bowlen brings in Romeo, gives him the reins, and we go back to the ass kicking 3-4 that first made this team famous. Maybe even a new Gradishar, Jackson, Swenson and Rizzo. It's a brand new day. :thumbs:

jutang
With such a huge change for the organization, I will be surprised if the Broncos make the playoffs next yr. Risky, risky move... but you don't become a billionaire without making decisions like this and I gotta give Bowlen credit for having the stones.

Losing Shanahan will mean losing Bobby Turner and possibly the Goodman's. Sometimes a change of scenery is the best thing and I know Shanahan will continue to have success at whatever he chooses. I just hope he goes to college... can you imagine what his record would be against the Broncos!?!?

God, I hope he doesn't go to SD!!!!!!!

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
If Bowlen brings in a former DC.....as I believe he will, leaving the offensive scheme in place would seem likely as he would have his hands full.

One thing is certain, Slowic won't be the new head coach.

History says the odds are not on your side. Do you think someone like Bill Cowher is not going to bring in his guys and would stick with our finesse running?

baja
12-30-2008, 07:10 PM

<b>One thing is certain, Slowic won't be the new head coach.

If he is I will personally build a whirling, vibrating, thorn tipped, gas powered 20 inch dick and swing by and pick up So Cal reverend and TJ and we will drive the thing to Dove Valley looking for Pat B.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
If he is I will personally build a whirling, vibrating, thorn tipped, gas powered 20 inch dick and swing by and pick up So Cal reverend and TJ and we will drive the thing to Dove Valley looking for Pat B.

Where's the AIDs gonna come from? That was one of SoCal's demands.

rastaman
12-30-2008, 07:15 PM

You may have to endure another 3 or 4 years with not making the playoffs as well!!!! Firing Shanahan takes the Broncos in another direction, but it does not guarantee success in a short period of time. There are numerous of teams out there that prove my point.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 07:17 PM

The first 4 years, yes. The last 10? Not so much.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
With such a huge change for the organization, I will be surprised if the Broncos make the playoffs next yr.

Well, with this defense and the schedule we have next year it probably wasn't happening anyway. Very, very difficult to fix this D in one offseason. This defense is Humpty Dumpty, as in all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put it back together again.

baja
12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
LOL.

I will after Shannys *** has dried on your face.

These are very uncertain times for people that love the Broncos for you to blow in here with comments like that is uncalled for, In fact if it were up to me I'd ban your sorry ass.

DenverBrit
History says the odds are not on your side. Do you think someone like Bill Cowher is not going to bring in his guys and would stick with our finesse running?

Cower will be looking for huge money....10 mil or more per year.
He will also want the GM job.
That's an experiment that Bowlen is unlikely to repeat......and money he is unlikely to pay for a new HC.
The Broncos don't need their offensive scheme to be torn apart, which is why I think a DC would be the front runner.

But if Cower was brought on board, then you're right, he would want the time to re-tool it all.....two years at least.

I doubt that Bowlen made the move today without having a plan going forward.

But it's all speculation.....that's what makes it fun. ;D

chex
If the offense is just a RB away from being a powerhouse, as TJ says, then what's the worry? Talent is talent, no matter who coaches it.

Jeezuz, you'd think Vince Lombardi himself could only coach 4 wins with this team. Shanahan is not the greatest coach ever to walk the face of the planet, but you'd never believe it from the reaction of some people here.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM

No, he does however report Jets trades from his dorm room.

DenverBrit

You expect me to believe you don't have it built already?? Ha!

Ironlung
Im excited. Im excited for a new fresh message for these players. Did these players look like they were inspired or driven this year, or the last couple years? **** no! This was needed or things would stay the same. This team needs motivation, fire, accountability, hope, DEFENSE. We need a motivator and I'll bet Bowlen gets one. GO BRONCOS!

ohiobronco2
What are you? 40?

Yeah... You've got so many years on us all. If I only had that extra 7 years of football knowledge... ROFL!

Get over yourself already.

Thank You.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
You may have to endure another 3 or 4 years with not making the playoffs as well!!!! Firing Shanahan takes the Broncos in another direction, but it does not guarantee success in a short period of time. There are numerous of teams out there that prove my point.

And then there's Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore. This season. All three had worse seasons last year than we had this year, all three had new coaches this year. If Jay Cutler and this offense is as good as many of you think it shouldn't be that big of a problem, right?

baja
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
makes sense. we're the best opening and he's the best coach out there. seems like a good match.

Ya and Pat could say I'll pay you the 20 mil for the other contract and heres 8 mil a year to just coach

TomServo
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
The first 4 years, yes. The last 10? Not so much.
and as far going by decades, the 70's were a better decade for playoff victories.

Sir_Robin
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Pssst....make sure you do NOT include the dolphins in that list.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM

rastaman
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
You weren't thinking that the defense was going to be re-built in one year, were you?
So it's the perfect time to make changes.......agree with them or not.

Free agency signings will be required to rebuild this Defense. Bowlen will need to go this route anyway. Bowlen could have spent the money with Shanahan or he will need to do it with the new coach. Rebuilding the D thru the draft will take 3 or four years to bare fruit. The new head coach will only last 3 years or 4 years anyway. If a winner isn't produced at that point.....its back to the drawing board.

The Broncos orgainization and the fans could be in for a dark period.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
She was was at the right place at the right time. A supermodel with TD and Elway. 10 years of laying around and getting fat is a b****...

I hope you're a rival troll. I don't want to believe that a fellow Bronco fan could be this ******* stupid.

rastaman
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Pssst....make sure you do NOT include the dolphins in that list.

The Broncos aren't the Dolphins.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
The Broncos orgainization and the fans could be in for a dark period.

You mean like 1 playoff win and 1 division title in 10 years? And 3 years out of the playoffs? That kind of "dark period"? You act like we're the Patriots or something. What the hell have we done in 10 years? Oh, yeah, we got blown out at home in the AFCCG 4 years ago...

crawdad
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Pat Bowlen will be very sorry he made this move!

ak1971
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
wooo hooo!! no more bad Shanahan radio ads!!

Kaylore
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I love all these predictions like "This is going to be awesome" or "this will mean doom for ten years."

Fact is we have no idea who is taking over and until we do and they have a couple seasons to get things going we can't say one way or another.

TDmvp
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I have lived in Cincinnati all my life and never liked the Bengals , I mean i like seeing them do good unless it is VS us (Denver) but always knew they was a joke that might never end . From the time i was 8 the Broncos was all i talked about , wanted (as in memorabilia) , and cared about ... and I'm not sure it is ever going to feel the same ... i hope it is just shock ..

A year ago or so i wake up out of the blue having a dream we fire Shanny and Al Davis hires hired him .... Today i wake up and nfl network is on from last night and they are telling me we fired Mike ... I just want to Fing die (sarcasm).

Only thing that could fix this bad dream is tomorrow they back track and bring Mike back , or John Elway becomes the head coach of Denver and Mike becomes the coach of my crap hometown team making them actually relevant for once , and Denver and the Bengals win the Super Bowl back and forth for the next 10 or so years , John drafts Jack , and i fall over dead and forget all about today ...

baja
Where's the AIDs gonna come from? That was one of SoCal's demands.

we'll swing by colfax and grab an infected hypo aznd wire it in the head, happy now???

ak1971
I love all these predictions like "This is going to be awesome" or "this will mean doom for ten years."

Fact is we have no idea who is taking over and until we do and they have a couple seasons to get things going we can't say one way or another.

dude..you are awesome.

MplsBronco
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Compete for the playoffs??? At 8-8??? 52-21!!!!!!!!!!!

Goddamn you are delusional and sad. You have been wrong about just about every other major issue facing this team since I have been around so this proves to me that this is the best thing for the Broncos.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Exactly. What we do know is that Mike Shanahan did a lot for our organization and I think he deserves more respect than many on here are giving him. I kind of saw the writing on the wall after the now famous Slowick comment. I wish Mike would have been able to bring success to the Defensive side of the ball, but it just hasn't seemed to work out recently. Our offense is great, we have a star QB and have surrounded him with great weapons, I just hope that there aren't big changes for the offense that will stunt their grow and development on that side of the ball. We now not only have an unknow on the defensive side of the ball, but on the offensive side as well.

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
dude..you are awesome.

You're beginning to grow on me.

I need an ointment. ;D

baja
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Im excited. Im excited for a new fresh message for these players. Did these players look like they were inspired or driven this year, or the last couple years? **** no! This was needed or things would stay the same. This team needs motivation, fire, accountability, hope, DEFENSE. We need a motivator and I'll bet Bowlen gets one. GO BRONCOS!

EXACTLY GOOD POST

TheDave
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM

My concern is that you have a 30% chance of making a hire that will yield immediate results... The most likely outcome will be a couple of years of rebuilding, and i don't mean the 8-8 kind of rebuilding.

The odds are we are not going to hire another HOF coach.