PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

MplsBronco
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh, I do. It's a predictable thing. Shanahan goes somewhere else, and starts bringing his guys over. This always happens when an established coach moves to a new franchise.

We're going to lose both good players and good coaches.

****, it never ends with you! Please, outlay for me the Mike Shanahan coaching tree. I challenge you.

MplsBronco
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
my favorite thread of the day. bowlen should stay clear of magic johnson methinks.

Classic!

Popps
12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
My concern is that you have a 30% chance of making a hire that will yield immediate results... The most likely outcome will be a couple of years of rebuilding, and i don't mean the 8-8 kind of rebuilding.

The odds are we are not going to hire another HOF coach.

You could be right, but let's consider this... the alternative was a couple years of defensive rebuilding from a guy who's proven he just can't do it anymore.

We're literally starting from square 1, defensively. We have Champ Bailey and nothing else worth mentioning.

We were likely a couple years away, anyway.

Take the flip-side view... whomever comes in inherits a very potent offense. If they're a defensive minded coach, they don't have to do much on O... and can go right to rebuilding the D.

If someone comes in and gets our D to the middle of the pack... we're immediately competitive.

Honestly, this is at worst a lateral move for the next year or so, imo. Put the right guy in there, and we may have a great situation.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
You could be right, but let's consider this... the alternative was a couple years of defensive rebuilding from a guy who's proven he just can't do it anymore.

We're literally starting from square 1, defensively. We have Champ Bailey and nothing else worth mentioning.

Take the flip-side view... whomever comes in inherits a very potent offense. If they're a defensive minded coach, they don't have to do much on O... and can go right to rebuilding the D.

If someone comes in and gets our D to the middle of the pack... we're immediately competitive.

Honestly, this is at worst a lateral move for the next year or so, imo. Put the right guy in there, and we may have a great situation.
Nice take

baja
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice take

Nice take on the nice take

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
The offense isn't an effing Ronco product that you set and forget. GTFOH. Who ever comes in has to be able to do both. The offense is completely utterly young and needs such as much nurturing as our defense. Balance. There must be balance

TheDave
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Hopefully the guy who comes here likes the make-up of our offense and ZBS, otherwise we could be looking at a complete rebuild on both sides. I do agree with you that this defense had become an abomination. But shanahan had spent the last 2 drafts and FA rebuilding the O. I was comfortable giving him time to rebuild the D.

Change can be a very apealing thing, my fear is we are going to find out just how good of a coach shanahan was. I can gaurantee that whoever we bring in will not be a lateral move for the O. Lets hope that they can make up enough ground on defense to keep us out of the cellar.

Like Kaylor said... Guess we will have to wait and see who is next.

baja
12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Gtfoh???

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Get the **** out of Here

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Gtfoh???

:)

"Get the **** outta here"

TheDave
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
"Get the **** out of here"

Just thought i would get in on this...;D

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
This thread has been glorious. Thank you TJ, I love it!

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
The offense isn't an effing Ronco product that you set and forget it. GTFOH. Who ever comes in has to be able to do both. The offense is completely utterly young and needs such as much nurturing as our defense. Balance. There must be balance

Awesomeness.

Something's telling me that our entire blocking scheme is going to be out the door. Very few people run the scheme we do, and nobody on the short list backs it. That was probably the single brightest point of this season, was the work we did on the offensive line.

frerottenextelway
12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
This thread has been glorious. Thank you TJ, I love it!

The Title totally rocks! From there it's all uphill.

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
The little Gem that SoCal posted just is icing on the cake. Love it all.

baja
12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Someone Please Sticky This Thread

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Awesomeness.

Something's telling me that our entire blocking scheme is going to be out the door. Very few people run the scheme we do, and nobody on the short list backs it. That was probably the single brightest point of this season, was the work we did on the offensive line.

That consequence in on the table.

baja
12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
The little Gem that SoCal posted just is icing on the cake. Love it all.

HAVE YOU EVEN EVER SEEN A 15 INCH THROBBING, WHIRLING, PULSATING AIDS INFECTED DICK?

I ask you?

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
HAVE YOU EVEN EVER SEEN A 15 INCH THROBBING, WHIRLING, PULSATING AIDS INFECTED DICK?

I ask you?

No but I imagine it would be terrifying. It was quite the visual provided us by SoCal. I hope he is ok. He is really upset!

watermock
12-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Couldn't we just had him "snuffed out" like Saddam or Hoffa? I'm afraid Denver's gonna be his new Biatch instead of Oakland.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Couldn't we just had him "snuffed out" like Saddam or Hoffa? I'm afraid Denver's gonna be his new Biatch instead of Oakland.

Especially since he's dead set on Slowik as his d coordinator.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Nice take on the nice take

Nice takes by you as well. Popps, baja, and TonyR have been preachin the gospel lately. Congrats Gentlemen. Congrats on the posting AND the beginning, on the turning of the page in Denver.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
REBUILDING?! You guys crack me up. You're either not paying attention to the league, or you're just reactionaries.

Not only does the word "rebuilding" no longer apply in the NFL (see 2008 Dolphins), but there is actually a VERY good chance this team will be BETTER next season with a new coach. Just look around: Mangini's first year with the Jets, Gruden's first in Tampa, Crennel's second in Cleveland, Marvin Lewis's first 3 in Cincy, Sparano this year with the Dolphins, Zorn's first this year in Washington (for the most part), McCarthy's first two in Green Bay, Harbaugh's first year (this year) with the Ravens, and that's just off the top of my head.

Even stupid Norv Turner took the Bolts further in his first year than Marty ever had.

So please, pay attention.

Thank you.

baja

LOL that's a Mock classic right there. ;D

Garcia Bronco
Nice takes by you as well. Popps, baja, and TonyR have been preachin the gospel lately. Congrats Gentlemen. Congrats on the posting AND the beginning, on the turning of the page in Denver.

Oh for the love of God. Does that mean you guys are gonna take showers until the wee hours of the morning?

baja
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM

nice take.

cabronco
12-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Everyone.

This isn't the first time that a long standing head coach has left a franchise.

It happens.

But again this franchise has attractive reasons to come and coach here. Denver will get a solid coach that will rebuild the defense and special teams.

All I know is this. I can't wait for next season to get here!

I'm actually excited again about Broncos football!

After another disastrous season ending, I didnt think I could feel much lower as a Bronco fan. The Broncos just havent been the same team for quite some time. I hated the idea of keeping Slowik around too. Im excited for a fresh start , where we may have a good defense and even special teams again at some point ! Havent seen that for too long..

baja
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh for the love of God. Does that mean you guys are gonna take showers until the wee hours of the morning?

Not with that 15 inch throbber lurking around.

Garcia Bronco
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
REBUILDING?! You guys crack me up. You're either not paying attention to the league, or you're just reactionaries.

Not only does the word "rebuilding" no longer apply in the NFL (see 2008 Dolphins), but there is actually a VERY good chance this team will be BETTER next season with a new coach. Just look around: Mangini's first year with the Jets, Gruden's first in Tampa, Crennel's second in Cleveland, Marvin Lewis's first 3 in Cincy, Sparano this year with the Dolphins, Zorn's first this year in Washington (for the most part), McCarthy's first two in Green Bay, Harbaugh's first year (this year) with the Ravens, and that's just off the top of my head.

Even stupid Norv Turner took the Bolts further in his first year than Marty ever had.

Thank you.

You have to be a lawyer because you just stretched the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Those examples some valid and some not are not indicators of the future here in Denver. In fact I think it's more likely...Dennis Green in Arizona from a statistical perspective. Or Jim Haslett where ever he's coaching now...or Dick Jauron where ever he's coaching.

baja
12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
You have to be a lawyer because you just stretch the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Those examples some valid and some not are not indicators of the future here in Denver. In fact I think it's more likely...Dennis Green in Arizona from a statistical perspective. Or Jim Haslett where ever he's coaching now...or Dick Jauron where ever he's coaching.

just don't bring in a Republican

watermock
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
"Especially since he's dead set on Slowik as his d coordinator."

That's utter speculation. It was a matter of EGO, specifically thinking he could overrule Bowlen.

It doesn't matter anyway, his next team probably won't be a bunch of overpaid 90 pound weaklings on D.

ScottXray
12-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Hopefully the guy who comes here likes the make-up of our offense and ZBS, otherwise we could be looking at a complete rebuild on both sides. I do agree with you that this defense had become an abomination. But shanahan had spent the last 2 drafts and FA rebuilding the O. I was comfortable giving him time to rebuild the D.

Change can be a very apealing thing, my fear is we are going to find out just how good of a coach shanahan was. I can gaurantee that whoever we bring in will not be a lateral move for the O. Lets hope that they can make up enough ground on defense to keep us out of the cellar.

Like Kaylor said... Guess we will have to wait and see who is next.

Yes, Shanahan has quickly rebuilt the O (mostly). So what? The Defense under Slowik was Horrible. Who is to say that Shanahan ws going to get the
players to implement that SCHEME that is bieng mentioned? What if he spent the first pick on a RB, then threw a couple of bones at the D.

Virtually everyone saw that the D was a disaster...And Slowik couldn't understand WHY?

Shannys commitment to this Coach as D-coordinator was a mistake to begin with, and his REFUSAL to remove him when asked to by his friend , THE OWNER, was his last proof of his stubborness , to the detriment of the team.

How anyone can accuse Bowlen of being the bad guy is beyond belief! This is not Cinncinatti, or Detroit. Bowlen has always given Mike what he has asked for , for many years. It wasn't until this last offseason that he said the blank checks were being questioned, and for good reason. And this refusal by his coach to get rid of or demote an obvious incompetent coordinator had to be the last straw, and I'm sure Bowlen did this with great reluctance.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Not only does the word "rebuilding" no longer apply in the NFL (see 2008 Dolphins), but there is actually a VERY good chance this team will be BETTER next season with a new coach. Just look around: Mangini's first year with the Jets (Fired), Gruden's first in Tampa (SB and the 7-9, 5-11 11-5, 4-12, 9-7 and 9-7), Crennel's second in Cleveland (Fired), Marvin Lewis's first 3 in Cincy (Great, a first round exit to his tenure), Sparano this year with the Dolphins (Jury is still out), Zorn's first this year in Washington (for the most part) (Not a great first year-Jury is still out), McCarthy's first two in Green Bay, Harbaugh's first year (this year) with the Ravens, and that's just off the top of my head.

Even stupid Norv Turner took the Bolts further in his first year than Marty ever had. (With Marty's team. They went from 14-2 to 11-5 to 8-8)

Thank you.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to field a better team. I doubt we will be better on offense and we couldn't be any worse on D, but your examples all went back to mediocrity or well below after initial greatness (if you even call it that).

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
You have to be a lawyer because you just stretched the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Those examples some valid and some not are not indicators of the future here in Denver. In fact I think it's more likely...Dennis Green in Arizona from a statistical perspective. Or Jim Haslett where ever he's coaching now...or Dick Jauron where ever he's coaching.You must be a contrarian, because forst you agree with me, and then you disagree.

Besides, for every Dennis Green point you make, I have Ken Whisenhut's first year this year in Arizona as yet ANOTHER example of a new coach who immediately improved an NFL team ... plus Mike Smith in Atlanta this year! You actually gave me TWO MORE perfect examples of why the idea of "rebuiding" is no longer valid in today's NFL. Gad, there are more examples than I thought there were ;D

colonelbeef
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
You must be a contrarian, because forst you agree with me, and then you disagree.

Besides, for every Dennis Green point you make, I have Ken Whisenhut's first year this year in Arizona as yet ANOTHER example of a new coach who immediately improved an NFL team ... plus Mike Smith in Atlanta this year! You actually gave me TWO MORE perfect examples of why the idea of "rebuiding" is no longer valid in today's NFL. Gad, there are more examples than I thought there were ;D

Three years ago, people like you were pointing at Eric Mangini and what a wonderful job he was doing in New York.

1 year does not a career or trend make, and next year when the Falcons go 7-9 will you still be so amazed at one fluke season from a decent HC?

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
your examples all went back to mediocrity or well below after initial greatness (if you even call it that).
I never argued what happenbed LATER ... I was only arguing (very successfully I might add) that the FIRST YEAR or two on the job can be and often are improvements for teams, and that all the pouter-doubters in here who say we'll have to settle for "rebuilding" simply are not paying attention to the Ravens, Falcons, Cardinals, Dolphins, etc, etc, etc....

(See previous post for two more examples).

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
"Especially since he's dead set on Slowik as his d coordinator."

That's utter speculation. It was a matter of EGO, specifically thinking he could overrule Bowlen.

It doesn't matter anyway, his next team probably won't be a bunch of overpaid 90 pound weaklings on D.

Very true. If his future team already has a d in place, things will work out great.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Three years ago, people like you were pointing at Eric Mangini and what a wonderful job he was doing in New York.

1 year does not a career or trend make, and next year when the Falcons go 7-9 will you still be so amazed at one fluke season from a decent HC?Don't put words in my mouth. What I said is obviously correct ... what happens later is another story.

Please stop inventing arguements and putting me on the losing side of them ;D

TheDave
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, Shanahan has quickly rebuilt the O (mostly). So what? The Defense under Slowik was Horrible. Who is to say that Shanahan ws going to get the
players to implement that SCHEME that is bieng mentioned? What if he spent the first pick on a RB, then threw a couple of bones at the D.

Virtually everyone saw that the D was a disaster...And Slowik couldn't understand WHY?

Shannys commitment to this Coach as D-coordinator was a mistake to begin with, and his REFUSAL to remove him when asked to by his friend , THE OWNER, was his last proof of his stubborness , to the detriment of the team.

How anyone can accuse Bowlen of being the bad guy is beyond belief! This is not Cinncinatti, or Detroit. Bowlen has always given Mike what he has asked for , for many years. It wasn't until this last offseason that he said the blank checks were being questioned, and for good reason. And this refusal by his coach to get rid of or demote an obvious incompetent coordinator had to be the last straw, and I'm sure Bowlen did this with great reluctance.

I'm not accusing Bowlen of anything... Frankly i don't care what his reason was. IMO we will not find a better coach than Shanahan, especially on the offense. You and everyone else that is happy with this move better hope to god that the new regime is a serious miracle worker on defense, because the offense will suffer to some degree. He completely rebuilt this offense in 2 seasons and was capable enough to keep them in the top 3 of the leage with an 8th string runningback. Odds are you won't find that again.

As for Slowick... Who cares. This talent level was so pathetic no one could of coached it. The combination of the Goodmans and Shanahan built an offense in 2 seasons, I was willing to give them 1 more to try their hand at the D.

Barring a miracle hire this will set us back next year. Add to that a brutal schedule and a top 5 pick becomes likely.

I'm hoping for the best, but i don't like our odds right now.

Taco John
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not accusing Bowlen of anything... Frankly i don't care what his reason was. IMO we will not find a better coach than Shanahan, especially on the offense. You and everyone else that is happy with this move better hope to god that the new regime is a serious miracle worker on defense, because the offense will suffer to some degree. He completely rebuilt this offense in 2 seasons and was capable enough to keep them in the top 3 of the leage with an 8th string runningback. Odds are you won't find that again.

As for Slowick... Who cares. This talent level was so pathetic no one could of coached it. The combination of the Goodmans and Shanahan built an offense in 2 seasons, I was willing to give them 1 more to try their hand at the D.

Barring a miracle hire this will set us back next year. Add to that a brutal schedule and a top 5 pick becomes likely.

I'm hoping for the best, but i don't like our odds right now.

This is the same way I see it... I think Bowlen made a huge mistake, and that if he had the guts to stick it out for one more season, he'd have been paid in dividends for his patience.

We have an immature offense, and completely turning the franchise on its head was a stupid move to make.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 09:04 PM
We would be set back for next year anyway. Slowik was coming back, remember?

TheDave
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
We would be set back for next year anyway. Slowik was coming back, remember?

Try reading the my post again... IMO talent was the issue not the coordinator.

Ray Finkle
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
This is the same way I see it... I think Bowlen made a huge mistake, and that if he had the guts to stick it out for one more season, he'd have been paid in dividends for his patience.

We have an immature offense, and completely turning the franchise on its head was a stupid move to make.

I believe this as well BUT if the change was to be made, now is the time to do it.

Banana Pants
12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
The hell there is.

When Shanny goes to the Chiefs are you going to become a Chiefs fan? You spend a lot of time on chiefsplanet as it is.

Kaylore
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM

I totally disagree. Not with Slowik. I was ready to give Shanahan another season, but I fully expected more of the same. The offense might have been better, and with a running game we'd probably be a 10-6 wild card at best and then get blown out to the Colts in the playoffs.

ohiobronco2
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I never argued what happenbed LATER ... I was only arguing (very successfully I might add) that the FIRST YEAR or two on the job can be and often are improvements for teams, and that all the pouter-doubters in here who say we'll have to settle for "rebuilding" simply are not paying attention to the Ravens, Falcons, Cardinals, Dolphins, etc, etc, etc....

(See previous post for two more examples).

I'm pretty sure this is Ken's 2nd year coaching the Cardinals. Does is matter if you do an excellent job the first year, but crash the next few. TB went through a couple of really bad years with Gruden. The Broncos were never 4-12 or 5-11 under Shanahan. He's only been under .500 twice since he's been in Denver. Last year 7-9 and 6-10 in 99. Mike was consistent and we all became comfortable with that. I want a coach to be consistently good.

gadlaw
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
You're going to get exactly what you deserve for such a gutless move. When this team is floundering without an identity and our offensive core is bailing on us, remember this is what you wanted.

Heck, I didn't like Bowlen from when he fired Dan Reeves. And so begins the nightmare years.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
You must be a contrarian, because forst you agree with me, and then you disagree.

It's Ken's first year with the Cards?

I'll call him and let him know!

chex
12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
In 2002, Jon Gruden took over a Tampa Bay team that was coming off 30 wins and three playoff appearances in the last three seasons under Tony Dungy.

Dungy was fired because of the opposite - his offenses were horrid, but had a great D. Gruden walked in, with the dreaded "new terminology" that people here are fearing, and promptly won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson.

On the flip side, Dungy went to Indy that same year, has also won a SB, and hasn't won fewer than 10 games since.

I would not be surprised at all to see Shanahan follow a similar path, but I think it was clear over the past 10 seasons that he wasn't going to do it here. Let him go to a team that has much better balance talentwise, and he'll do fine. Just wasn't going to happen here is all. And I think the same will be true here. A fresh voice, a new approach to liven up this franchise.

All I've been reading is how were so close, how this offense is just a RB away from being powerful. If so, I'm not worried about the offense then. We need a leader to give us a fresh outlook. One playoff win in 10 years tells me the job just wasn't getting done.

Ironlung
12-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Good post chex

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
It's Ken's first year with the Cards?

I'll call him and let him know!
Okay, I'm off one year ... my point is DON'T BE SO SURE we're gonna suck next year, or we're now saddled with "rebuilding." The idea of a "rebuilding phrase" is anachronistic in todays salary cap-free agency NFL ... where a coach gets just 3, maybe 4 years to win. And I've quoted tons of very recent examples to prove it.

gunns
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
...not by a long shot.

You want to know what road this team is on? Examine the road the 49ers have taken. That's the road this team is on.

The 49ers didn't go in the direction they have because of firing any coach, it was a change of ownership. Our owner is still here and the decisions he has made regarding this team, except one, has made the team a better team. He is the one who brought Shanahan here and for the past several years has been more than patient, purely out of respect for Mike. He has to protect his product and that product was not improving overall. He was remarkable with the offense, but the defense has been on a steady decline, with no improvement and you have to have a very good defense to go anywhere in this league. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

Most of us who are supporting the decision have a heavy heart tonight. Especially those of us who have been long time fans. Mike brought the best memories of my life. And I knew when he was hired we would finally win a SB. As with Reeves, it was just time. I'll be happy when Mike revives his coaching career and wish him the best. I'll also be happy to see a fresh start for the Broncos.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Okay, I'm off one year ... my point is DON'T BE SO SURE we're gonna suck next year, or we're now saddled with "rebuilding." The idea of a "rebuilding phrase" is anachronistic in todays salary cap-free agency NFL ... where a coach gets just 3, maybe 4 years to win. And I've quoted tons of very recent examples to prove it.

Yeah. Maybe we can bench our franchise QB for a league MVP vet too

Meck77
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Bowlen didn't get to where he is by being complacent in life and his business ventures. To win big you got to risk big.

Bottom line though I don't think Bowlen did this without having his replacement in mind. If he did there were some serious problems with his relationship with Shanny that we may never find out about.

Pat is trying to keep the Broncos cash flowing and that means shaking things up for a a REAL superbowl run. I think Shanny had Bowlen fooled for a number of years but the partying from SB 32/33 wore off for pat today.

stoxman
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Bowlen for President! 2 years too late but I'll take it...better late than never...you'd have thought Shanny had a lifetime contract here or something even though he doesn't know how to make the playoffs without John or TD!

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
LOL Touche!

All the more reason Whisenhut's performance is amazing .... like this year's Dolphins, Ravens and Falcons, or McCarthy one step fron the Super Bowl last year, his first (2nd?) with Green Bay. Barely lost to the Giants.

Heck, it seems like half the playoff teams are coached by 1st or 2nd year guys lately :thumbs:

baja
12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
The 49ers didn't go in the direction they have because of firing any coach, it was a change of ownership. Our owner is still here and the decisions he has made regarding this team, <b>except one,</b> has made the team a better team. He is the one who brought Shanahan here and for the past several years has been more than patient, purely out of respect for Mike. He has to protect his product and that product was not improving overall. He was remarkable with the offense, but the defense has been on a steady decline, with no improvement and you have to have a very good defense to go anywhere in this league. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

Most of us who are supporting the decision have a heavy heart tonight. Especially those of us who have been long time fans. Mike brought the best memories of my life. And I knew when he was hired we would finally win a SB. As with Reeves, it was just time. I'll be happy when Mike revives his coaching career and wish him the best. I'll also be happy to see a fresh start for the Broncos.

What was that.

Mediator12
12-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Sweet idea, holy cow why did I not think of that! I got Peyton's Cell phone number, think we can convince him to leave INDY when Dungy Retires next week!

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 09:42 PM
LOL Touche!

All the more reason Whisenhut's performance is amazing .... like this year's Dolphins, Ravens and Falcons, or McCarthy one step fron the Super Bowl last year, his first (2nd?) with Green Bay. Barely lost to the Giants.

Heck, it seems like half the playoff teams are coached by 1st or 2nd year guys lately :thumbs:

Uh... what was amazing?

They went 6-0 against the worst division in football, and managed to squeeze out three other home games. Other than that, they lost every game and usually by a large margin.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Sweet idea, holy cow why did I not think of that! I got Peyton's Cell phone number, think we can convince him to leave INDY when Dungy Retires next week!

Actually can you PM me that. He'd look good in red when Kurt refuses to sign his impending franchise tag.

Rivers Delivers
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/zapparulez/Bronco%20Pics%20Elway%20Era/patbowlenfurcoat.jpg

Pimpin aint easy, TJ.

That pic is Chuck Norris-esque.

Yes. Very Douchey.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Uh... what was amazing?

They went 6-0 against the worst division in football, and managed to squeeze out three other home games. Other than that, they lost every game and usually by a large margin.
That's all true ... but they won their division! And they'll host a playoff game for the first time in what, like 50 years?

Perspective, Rev... perspective.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Small moves Ellie ... small moves.

Wes Mantooth
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM

It will take 3 years to implement a new way of life.

Will also rock the locker room. This move inspires no one on the team to do better. I am guessing most everyone, top down is wanting to get the he!! out of town and never come back.

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes. Very Douchey.

Speaking of stinky holes... your user-name is cute. What has he "delivered," by the way? Just wondering. Was he a Dominos guy in college or something?

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
It will take 3 years to implement a new way of life.

Will also rock the locker room. This move inspires no one on the team to do better. I am guessing most everyone, top down is wanting to get the he!! out of town and never come back.

http://www.nickycakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crybaby.png

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 10:31 PM
That's all true ... but they won their division! And they'll host a playoff game for the first time in what, like 50 years?

Perspective, Rev... perspective.

If we were in the NFC west, we'd have the division too. With a significantly worse defense and a less talented offense.

Perspective, Buff... perspective.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
You're going to get exactly what you deserve for such a gutless move. When this team is floundering without an identity and our offensive core is bailing on us, remember this is what you wanted.

Thank you this is my feelings I am glad I am not alone . I hope Shanahan rubs salt in our wounds for years !

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you this is my feelings I am glad I am not alone . I hope Shanahan rubs salt in our wounds for years !

Yea, I hope our team loses, too. Shanahan is bigger than the Broncos.

I hope we never win again.

We probably won't.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
If we were in the NFC west, we'd have the division too. With a significantly worse defense and a less talented offense.

Perspective, Buff... perspective.
LOL Fair enough ... but which west is worst? And say that three times fast before you answer.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
LOL Fair enough ... but which west is worst? And say that three times fast before you answer.

I can't even say my name three times fast after this much whiskey.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.nickycakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crybaby.png

yep popps I guess those 2 SBs just did not taste all that good to you ...ask Bengal fans if they want mike Shanahan to scoach there team you know the guys that suck year in and out ...

ScottXray
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Then go be a fan of whatever team he ends up with! I am a fan of the Denver Broncos. Not their EX coach!

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea, I hope our team loses, too. Shanahan is bigger than the Broncos.

I hope we never win again.

We probably won't.

well ask Raider fans if they like Shanahan I bet you get your ears bent

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
yep popps I guess those 2 SBs just did not taste all that good to you ...ask Bengal fans if they want mike Shanahan to scoach there team you know the guys that suck year in and out ...

Look boss, I remember the Superbowls BEFORE Shanahan.

He isn't the Broncos. He's a part of our history and we've moved on from that part.

As for sucking year in and year out, we've won ONE playoff game in a decade. That's the 2nd worst span in the history of the organization. So, don't tell me about how great we've had it lately.

I love the guy... it's time to move on. People really need to man-up over this whole thing.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
here is to the good times before Shanahan you know the 30 years of the Raiders bending us over two times a year .:thanku: :thumbs:

Rivers Delivers
12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Speaking of stinky holes... your user-name is cute. What has he "delivered," by the way? Just wondering. Was he a Dominos guy in college or something?

Let's see... among other things... he's delivered

MANY COLOSSAL DONKEY ASS WHIPPINGS

:thanku:

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
well ask Raider fans if they like Shanahan I bet you get your ears bent

You mean the raiders that split with us this year and basically kept us out of the playoffs by beating us at home when we had everything to play for and they had nothing? You mean the team that Shanahan couldn't beat to gain a playoff spot this year?

Yea, beating the raiders a a couple times a year isn't exactly the makings of a top-notch franchise.

MOST teams beat the raiders, bro. Check out their record. It's not magic. They suck ass every year.

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Let's see... among other things... he's delivered

MANY COLOSSAL DONKEY ASS WHIPPINGS

:thanku:

That's nice.

We haven't been very good for a few years.

Still wondering what he's delivered. I mean, "Rivers Delivers" is a big statement.

I'll wait here for your answer.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Then go be a fan of whatever team he ends up with! I am a fan of the Denver Broncos. Not their EX coach!

lol oh my no I think our owner needs to go back north !

baja
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM

that'll teach us...

SureShot
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
This is what happens when you **** with the mojo.

You have no one to blame but yourself TJ.

:)

Popps
that'll teach us...

:rofl:

Dagmar
. I hope Shanahan rubs salt in our wounds for years !

Go follow whatever team he coaches next then?

baja
12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
That's nice.

Still wondering what he's delivered. I mean, "Rivers Delivers" is a big statement.

Well Rivers in America mostly deliver toilet paper and shiit and used rubbers.

Rivers Delivers
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
That's nice.

Popps... it's a marathon... not a sprint.

When it's all said and done, you'll be mumbling this verse over and over while drooling into your bowl of split pea soup:

RIVERS DELIVERS

Know it, love it, live it.

Popps
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Go follow whatever team he coaches next then?

I hope we never win another game.

Oh, and I hope my dog dies, too.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Look boss, I remember the Superbowls BEFORE Shanahan.

He isn't the Broncos. He's a part of our history and we've moved on from that part.

As for sucking year in and year out, we've won ONE playoff game in a decade. That's the 2nd worst span in the history of the organization. So, don't tell me about how great we've had it lately.

I love the guy... it's time to move on. People really need to man-up over this whole thing.
you do what ones lol I am waiting cause Shanahan was the OC excpt for one go get the one ...

summerdenver
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM

well played sir.

Psi
12-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Polian and Shanny
Goin' to KC
Leading the Chiefs to
Super Bowl glory

YA DRUNK

ghwk
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Popps... it's a marathon... not a sprint.

When it's all said and done, you'll be mumbling this verse over and over while drooling into your bowl of split pea soup:

RIVERS DELIVERS

Know it, love it, live it.

I predict you will go very quiet after your game this weekend. BTW, Rivers takes jizzers butt that's about all.

Popps
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
you do what ones lol I am waiting cause Shanahan was the OC excpt for one go get the one ...

I'm assuming there is supposed to be some punctuation in there.

We played in a few SBs before Shanahan. He didn't invent the franchise. He didn't draft Elway. He didn't create the Orange Crush defense. He didn't build Mile High.

He's a part of our history. He lasted longer than 90% of NFL coaches last at their jobs. Probably longer.

His teams have failed badly over a ten year span. Again, if you've lived a little bit and watched a little football... you know these things happen. Coaches move on. He'll probably have success again, and so will we.

baja
12-30-2008, 11:02 PM

I never looked at it that way

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 11:03 PM
that'll teach us...

Since I hate you tonight:

Isn't that the same attitude that YOU had that caused you to flee America in the first place?

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 11:10 PM
that'll teach us...

it will teach a jack ass like you . you been one of the whiny assed bitch's fire Shanan wagon ****ers !

I don't harp(yet I seen a **** load fire shanahan BS I will prob lay never touch on this again But I will have to read you and a bunch of you as monkey start on the next guy here in about 3 years when the team is playing like **** !!!!!!!! )but I see all the ****ing cry baby fire Shanahan bunch of ass monkeys try and kick dirt in people that thought Coach was headed in the right direction ..well you ****s got what you wanted enjoy . no good Coach would want the Broncos get ready for seeing a Young coach that don't know jack .

anthonypacino
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
I am deeply saddend by today's events, I am trying to rationalize things, I keep coming up for reasons why this is a good move and why it's a bad one, Shanny to his discredit runs one of the ol' boy systems. Anyone remember why the best O-line coach in the last 20 years turned his back on this team and slowly started the swirl down the toilet? His son got into a fight with Shanny's homie "Slow". If you were a outsider of Shanny's inner circle he had no regrets showing you the door: Coyer, Rhoads, Robinson, Gibbs, Bates, the D line coach from the Browns all those guys some derserving to get tossed but others Shanny should have bounced got to stay. Shanny is a proud yet arrogant man unwilling to admit error in most of his blunderous personel moves.
Things don't last forever, if you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same results, era's are meant to end. Shula, Knoll, Lombardi, Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, Landry, Hayes, Schembechler, Bryant, Royal, Wilkerson, just to name a few some left on their own terms some were forced out but the point is all had to go sometime in order for their teams to evolve. Some took longer to reemerge from the shadow of their former selves.
So personally I want to keep Shanny for selfish reasons, it reminds me of better times, childhood dreams I can cling on too, something I can always count on when there is so much you can't these days.
But if I use my logic and take my heart out of the equation there is no reason to keep him any longer, he hasn't produced at the level that he himself had set, possibly out of touch with the players of today, I don't beleive there has been many coaches that have won a SB this many years after their last one, it's terribly hard to capture lighting yet once again after being so far removed. Not many franchises in NFL history have survived the retirement of a Icon HOF QB as well as Denver has most of the time it buries a team for 10+ years.

Goodbye Coach Mike Shanahan, thank you for your 21 years with this team, sacrificing more of your personal life than any of us will ever know to give us hope, excitment and something to truly get involved with.
One chapter ends and another will begin, right or wrong it always happens, for better or worse, will we go the way of the Browns or Lions? Or rebound like the Cowboys and Steelers of the 90's did when two guys named Johnson and Cowher took over for living legends? All we can do is wait for next season...

Rivers Delivers
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I predict you will go very quiet after your game this weekend. BTW, Rivers takes jizzers butt that's about all.

I'll go quiet before the weekend, don't worry.

But after the Chargers beat the Colts this weekend... even you won't be able to resist the chant:

RIVERS DELIVERS

:nutkick

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't even say my name three times fast after this much whiskey.
Whiskey? Really? I'm drinking Jim Beam on the rocks right now ... I've had about three the past couple hours. You?

Popps
12-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Whiskey? Really? I'm drinking Jim Beam on the rocks right now ... I've had about three the past couple hours. You?

How can you guys drink whiskey when god gave us vodka? It's like a smack to god's face.

~Crash~
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I never looked at it that way
Mike Shanahan was the OC or QB coach in all of the Elway SB's except one .

paint it like you want .:pimp:

baja
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
it will teach a jack ass like you . you been one of the whiny assed b****'s fire Shanan wagon ****ers !

I don't harp(yet I seen a **** load fire shanahan BS I will prob lay never touch on this again But I will have to read you and a bunch of you as monkey start on the next guy here in about 3 years when the team is playing like **** !!!!!!!! )but I see all the ****ing cry baby fire Shanahan bunch of ass monkeys try and kick dirt in people that thought Coach was headed in the right direction ..well you ****s got what you wanted enjoy . no good Coach would want the Broncos get ready for seeing a Young coach that don't know jack .

I speak English and Spanish and frankly I'm not sure which one you are typing here.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
How can you guys drink whiskey when god gave us vodka? It's like a smack to god's face.
Every "gutless drunk" I know around here drinks vodka, it's definitely the yuppie drink of choice in downtown Seattle, I'll tell you that. My gf bought a bottle of "Three Olives" brand grape vodka today for tomorrow night ... she mixes it with 7-Up and says it tastes exactly like grape soda. What do I know ???

But me ... I'm a FEARLESS drunk ... I'm a Bourbon man :strong:

I was saving this fifth of Beam for tomorrow, but after I saw the Shanahan news, I cracked it open early ::)

summerdenver
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I'll go quiet before the weekend, don't worry.

But after the Chargers beat the Colts this weekend... even you won't be able to resist the chant:

RIVERS DELIVERS

:nutkick

How old are you, 12? I am just curious.

baja
Since I hate you tonight:

Isn't that the same attitude that YOU had that caused you to flee America in the first place?

Truth is I left for a job, A guy paid me to drink for free at a 5 star resort and sell shiit for major cha ching.

Popps
I am deeply saddend by today's events, I am trying to rationalize things, I keep coming up for reasons why this is a good move and why it's a bad one, Shanny to his discredit runs one of the ol' boy systems. Anyone remember why the best O-line coach in the last 20 years turned his back on this team and slowly started the swirl down the toilet? His son got into a fight with Shanny's homie "Slow". If you were a outsider of Shanny's inner circle he had no regrets showing you the door: Coyer, Rhoads, Robinson, Gibbs, Bates, the D line coach from the Browns all those guys some derserving to get tossed but others Shanny should have bounced got to stay. Shanny is a proud yet arrogant man unwilling to admit error in most of his blunderous personel moves.
Things don't last forever, if you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same results, era's are meant to end. Shula, Knoll, Lombardi, Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, Landry, Hayes, Schembechler, Bryant, Royal, Wilkerson, just to name a few some left on their own terms some were forced out but the point is all had to go sometime in order for their teams to evolve. Some took longer to reemerge from the shadow of their former selves.
So personally I want to keep Shanny for selfish reasons, it reminds me of better times, childhood dreams I can cling on too, something I can always count on when there is so much you can't these days.
But if I use my logic and take my heart out of the equation there is no reason to keep him any longer, he hasn't produced at the level that he himself had set, possibly out of touch with the players of today, I don't beleive there has been many coaches that have won a SB this many years after their last one, it's terribly hard to capture lighting yet once again after being so far removed. Not many franchises in NFL history have survived the retirement of a Icon HOF QB as well as Denver has most of the time it buries a team for 10+ years.

Goodbye Coach Mike Shanahan, thank you for your 21 years with this team, sacrificing more of your personal life than any of us will ever know to give us hope, excitment and something to truly get involved with.
One chapter ends and another will begin, right or wrong it always happens, for better or worse, will we go the way of the Browns or Lions? Or rebound like the Cowboys and Steelers of the 90's did when two guys named Johnson and Cowher took over for living legends? All we can do is wait for next season...

Great post.

ZONA
12-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Face it, it was time. We love the guy but it was time. He was a true offensive mastermind but his epic failure to build even a half-ass defense or something that even resembled an NFL special teams unit was on his plate.

Some of me wishes he was staying and some of me is glad we might get a fresh start. One thing for sure though, I'm not gonna go crying to the football gods that we are doomed now. Shanny isn't the only good coach around you know. We'll find somebody.

But the good in all this is that at least we know Slowick is not staying. Him being gone is surely a move in the right direction, even if moving on without Shanny is not. We will see.

I just hope whoever comes in here looks at the tape of the games when Hillis was the starter in single back formation. Do it. Do it. Do it.

:thumbs:

baja
12-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Wonderful post!

This is already a HOF thread.

Raidersbane
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Looks like i'm gonna have ta send the wife back to Ireland for another booze run.......I just killed my last bottle of Midleton's in the house. Damn good whisky for a damn good reason.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Good gawd Taco, step back from the ledge. Shanny lost the team and if he was wanting to keep Slowick he lost his mind as well! For god's sake we had people comparing us to the Lions and Cardinals and Bengals in terms of success. Look at what he's done lately. Can you honestly say that at your job if your goal was to sell/make $1,000,000 worth of product you would have lasted 10 years with only making that quota once? That's what Shanny has done. That $1m was winning in the playoffs. Once in the last 10 years.

I really like Mike Shanahan and hope to dear god he doesn't end up anywhere in the AFC. Maybe we get lucky and he goes to Tampa or Dallas! At any rate, it was time for a change. Not necessarily for the sake of change but that is certainly part of it. Fresh perspective was a must. You'll adapt and if the Broncos win you'll come around on picture day... just don't expect too many wins next year. The crap defense Shanny allowed will take a few years to fix just as it took a few years to assemble the great offense he left us with.

I have this foreboding feeling that the Chiefs hire Shanahan and they also go out and sign QB Matt Cassell. The Chiefs are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, and you give Shanahan a QB with Cassell's talent to run his WC offense and now suddenly the Chiefs are contenders and giving the Broncos nightmares. That would be wierd watching Shanahan on the sidelines of Kanas City playing in Invesco Field.

broncoblue
12-31-2008, 04:31 AM
id wish him luck anywhere but our division...its like being divorced and your ex shagging your best mate.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 04:38 AM

Great post. You are one fan who looking at this even keeled. From Bowlen to the fans who believe this was a great move with parting with Shanahan, we will have to honker down and deal with the possible dark years of having loosing seasons consecutively while the Bowlen tries to right the SHIP over the next 3, 5, 8, 10 years.

I don't know if the younger Denver fans in the age groups of 25-45 can endure the Broncos possible winning 4 to 6 games or worse, b/c these fans want to WIN Now in the next year or two and I just don't think it's going to happen.

rmsanger
12-31-2008, 04:46 AM
All Hail to Bowlen, the best owner in the league for trimming the fat. Shanny's leadership was tired on Offense and awful on Defense. We need a change of course and some fresh wind for our sails.

-Cheers

rastaman
12-31-2008, 04:59 AM
All Hail to Bowlen, the best owner in the league for trimming the fat. Shanny's leadership was tired on Offense and awful on Defense. We need a change of course and some fresh wind for our sails.

-Cheers

Thanks for the positive optimism and hope, b/c I got a feeling we are going to need it!!! Let the 3 year cycle of Bowlen's new hired/fired Coaching Carousel Begin.

frerottenextelway
12-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To fire Mike Shanahan.

I'm hilarious.

Broncomutt
12-31-2008, 05:37 AM
HOLY **** I just got the news!!! I mean WTF??

Drek
12-31-2008, 06:58 AM
I have this foreboding feeling that the Chiefs hire Shanahan and they also go out and sign QB Matt Cassell. The Chiefs are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, and you give Shanahan a QB with Cassell's talent to run his WC offense and now suddenly the Chiefs are contenders and giving the Broncos nightmares. That would be wierd watching Shanahan on the sidelines of Kanas City playing in Invesco Field.

Matt Cassell really isn't that good, and if KC was planning on throwing big money his way I'm sure they'd want to hire Josh McDaniels instead, to hopefully preserve whatever lightening has been caught in that bottle as long as possible.

If you take a snapshot of the Pats' QB lineup right now and come back 6 years down the road Cassell will be clearly the 3rd best guy on the list.

bronco militia
12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
The Chiefs are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob's your Information Minister
12-31-2008, 07:06 AM
"loaded" is a pretty vague term

The cupboard certainly isn't bare. You find a quarterback and two linemen and the offense is ready to explode.

Defense is in sorry shape but a pass rusher, a MLB, a safety, and a coaching staff that doesn't have their heads up their asses, and we're ready to compete on that side of the ball, too.

At least we've been to the playoffs recently. ;D

Mediator12
12-31-2008, 07:10 AM

Well, its this thing called aged single malt. Preferably 18 years and cask strength versus the norm. Vodka just reminds me of the food in Russia in the old soviet union. Worst thing I ever had....

Rohirrim
12-31-2008, 07:10 AM
it will teach a jack ass like you . you been one of the whiny assed b****'s fire Shanan wagon ****ers !

I nominate this post for the Meltdown Award. ;D

bronco militia
12-31-2008, 07:13 AM
"loaded" is a pretty vague term

The cupboard certainly isn't bare. You find a quarterback and two linemen and the offense is ready to explode.

Defense is in sorry shape but a pass rusher, a MLB, a safety, and a coaching staff that doesn't have their heads up their asses, and we're ready to compete on that side of the ball, too.

At least we've been to the playoffs recently. ;D

no coach, no gm>herm, no gm

Northman
12-31-2008, 07:15 AM
From Bowlen to the fans who believe this was a great move with parting with Shanahan, we will have to honker down and deal with the possible dark years of having loosing seasons consecutively while the Bowlen tries to right the SHIP over the next 3, 5, 8, 10 years.

Yea, that system is working really well for the Lions and Bengals. :rofl:

Bob's your Information Minister
12-31-2008, 07:18 AM
no coach, no gm>herm, no gm

Herm's ass is grass.

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-31-2008, 07:22 AM
In the NFL, you don't marry head coaches.

You just date them.

theAPAOps5
12-31-2008, 07:22 AM
God this thread is great. I would have been for this move a few years ago if I knew the meltdown would be this epic.

It sucks Bowlen had to fire the best coach in football to fire a mediocre GM but maybe its what is needed. Maybe Shanny goes on to coach a team where all he can do is coach and he learns that its awesome to have less pressures on him.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
I speak English and Spanish and frankly I'm not sure which one you are typing here.

Lucky for you I speak drunk

He said **** off Bowlen and all you whining bitchers. I hope a 15 inch ding dong plusing with the HIV attacks you and prison loves your behinds. Plus Elsid rocks and Spider isn't as sexy as theDave in g-string

Mediator12
12-31-2008, 07:42 AM
God this thread is great. I would have been for this move a few years ago if I knew the meltdown would be this epic.

It sucks Bowlen had to fire the best coach in football to fire a mediocre GM but maybe its what is needed. Maybe Shanny goes on to coach a team where all he can do is coach and he learns that its awesome to have less pressures on him.

I have been saying this for years, some people are fantastic at their jobs but can not handle the demands of promotion and the added responsibilities and decisions that come with it.

Guys Like Dick Lebeau, Dave Wannstedt, Norv Turner, Mike Martz are all fabulous coordinator level coaches. Top notch coaches at that level. However, they become poor head coaches because that can no longer be their primary concern. When they take on the added pressures of handling a whole team, a whole coaching staff, personnel from the other side of the ball, gametime decisions they simply can not handle the new job.

Mike Shanahan is one of the greatest OC and HC's the game has ever seen, Period. But, plenty of people in the profession have questioned Why he did so much as VP of football operations in this day and age. He needed to focus on the offense and the whole team and let the defense be run by a DC and GM with solid draft instincts. It wore him down, he became less effective as a HC and OC, and ended up being a jack of all trades and master of none the last 4-5 years in DEN. Is it any wonder that as Shanahan became fatigued and wore down the team followed him every year? No, it was a function of his own inability to admit he could use help and delegate. His own work suffered tremendously in big games those five years and the team followed its leader.

This is what I do for a living, I go into companies whose organizational structure is imploding and implement the changes they need to do to regain stability. The first thing that must be reviewed is their corporate decision making process from the top down. Then you identify the leaders that are overworked and reorganize them first before building a cohesive management team to oversee the changes.

Mike Needed to Change years ago, by letting someone else run the defense and personnel who would take the stress off him and his decision making in those areas. That would have led to much better performance for the overall organization. What we have seen the last 3 years is a man who could not get it done anymore because he was doing too much. He lost the ability to do his best work in his own area of expertise, because he simply could not give it the attention it deserved and the best of his efforts any longer.

Its the same with Slowik. Slowik is not a bad position coach, but he can not handle a whole defense by himself. He was in way over his head with this group of Personnel from last year, let alone the players who replaced the injuries. Anyone can run a defense that has talent in the NFL, it takes a real coach to put together a defense thatr is better than the sum of its individual parts. That is what Shanahan is so good at doing on the offensive side of the ball, getting average guys to play good solid football and play better as a unit than their parts. That was what was missing down the stretch this year on offense. And the defense and ST's never ever had a chance after all the injuries and problems with the DL.

Circle Orange
12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Great post. You are one fan who looking at this even keeled. From Bowlen to the fans who believe this was a great move with parting with Shanahan, we will have to honker down and deal with the possible dark years of having loosing seasons consecutively while the Bowlen tries to right the SHIP over the next 3, 5, 8, 10 years.

I don't know if the younger Denver fans in the age groups of 25-45 can endure the Broncos possible winning 4 to 6 games or worse, b/c these fans want to WIN Now in the next year or two and I just don't think it's going to happen.

We don't want calm, even keeled posts that make sense. These boards are for wild emotion, conclusion jumping, crazy assumptions and panic in general.
http://scosoft.com/s/o/637f8f82.gif

theAPAOps5
12-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Well said Mediator. I was against the theory of firing Shanahan because of losing him as a coach. But maybe in the long run this will be good for both sides.

Broncos_OTM
12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
I am mad as hell we fired shannahan. he was a really good coach

I am happy as hell we fired shannahan the GM.. I applaud Mike for standing up for slow but lets face it slow was a horrible coach.

Overall i really do think it was time to move in a new direction. mike hasnt done javck for ten years. and well if i was to preform like that at my job i would have been fired.

It is what it is. no use in crying over spilled milk and just move on.

Broncos_OTM
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
I have been saying this for years, some people are fantastic at their jobs but can not handle the demands of promotion and the added responsibilities and decisions that come with it.

Guys Like Dick Lebeau, Dave Wannstedt, Norv Turner, Mike Martz are all fabulous coordinator level coaches. Top notch coaches at that level. However, they become poor head coaches because that can no longer be their primary concern. When they take on the added pressures of handling a whole team, a whole coaching staff, personnel from the other side of the ball, gametime decisions they simply can not handle the new job.

Mike Shanahan is one of the greatest OC and HC's the game has ever seen, Period. But, plenty of people in the profession have questioned Why he did so much as VP of football operations in this day and age. He needed to focus on the offense and the whole team and let the defense be run by a DC and GM with solid draft instincts. It wore him down, he became less effective as a HC and OC, and ended up being a jack of all trades and master of none the last 4-5 years in DEN. Is it any wonder that as Shanahan became fatigued and wore down the team followed him every year? No, it was a function of his own inability to admit he could use help and delegate. His own work suffered tremendously in big games those five years and the team followed its leader.

This is what I do for a living, I go into companies whose organizational structure is imploding and implement the changes they need to do to regain stability. The first thing that must be reviewed is their corporate decision making process from the top down. Then you identify the leaders that are overworked and reorganize them first before building a cohesive management team to oversee the changes.

Mike Needed to Change years ago, by letting someone else run the defense and personnel who would take the stress off him and his decision making in those areas. That would have led to much better performance for the overall organization. What we have seen the last 3 years is a man who could not get it done anymore because he was doing too much. He lost the ability to do his best work in his own area of expertise, because he simply could not give it the attention it deserved and the best of his efforts any longer.

Its the same with Slowik. Slowik is not a bad position coach, but he can not handle a whole defense by himself. He was in way over his head with this group of Personnel from last year, let alone the players who replaced the injuries. Anyone can run a defense that has talent in the NFL, it takes a real coach to put together a defense thatr is better than the sum of its individual parts. That is what Shanahan is so good at doing on the offensive side of the ball, getting average guys to play good solid football and play better as a unit than their parts. That was what was missing down the stretch this year on offense. And the defense and ST's never ever had a chance after all the injuries and problems with the DL.
Ironic you say that didnt he have a guy hear the last two years that was assistant head coach.. interesting seems shanny knew he was over his head

baja
12-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Great post. You are one fan who looking at this even keeled. From Bowlen to the fans who believe this was a great move with parting with Shanahan, <b>we will have to honker down and deal with the possible dark years of having loosing seasons consecutively while the Bowlen tries to right the SHIP over the next 3, 5, 8, 10 years.

!0 years, are you off your nut?

We will contend for the playoffs next season and will be a better team than this season as long as Pat makes the right hire.

baja
12-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Lucky for you I speak drunk

He said **** off Bowlen and all you whining b****ers. I hope a 15 inch ding dong plusing with the HIV attacks you and prison loves your behinds. Plus Elsid rocks and Spider isn't as sexy as theDave in g-string

Thanks for clearing that up although I do not agree with all of that I think Spider fills out a g-string much better than that skinny ass Dave.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for clearing that up although I do not agree with all of that I think Spider fills out a g-string much better than that skinny ass Dave.

No problem

Beer google is all I guess though

Mediator12
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Ironic you say that didnt he have a guy hear the last two years that was assistant head coach.. interesting seems shanny knew he was over his head

No, you assume that means something outside the title. Plenty of teams have assistant Head coaches in order to keep them from going elsewhere and coaching. It comes with a pay raise and a title.

Shanahan never delegated authority to get things done UNLESS he approved it first. Micro-management of all the details is what got him here and worn down.

baja
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM

This is such a spot on post Med. I do not have your professional background in this area but even as a layman I could see for years now this is the problem and interestingly as it got better on the GM side the "on the field" side suffered. You are so right on with this post that it should be stickyed. I hope every Bronco fan reads this because it is exactly what has happened. We as fans are very fortunate that Pat Bowlen had the wisdom to see this and the courage to do what was necessary. The only way it could have turned out better is if Shanahan had realized it too and got back to coaching. Sadly he will somewhere else and be a terror to play against once again.

Someone PM this to TJ he will see the truth in it and feel better.

Broncoman13
12-31-2008, 08:46 AM

I think Mike finally realized that in 2007. He brought in Jim Bates, a coach that had a lot of success in the past. I think the plan was to let him worry about defense and allow Shanny some time to focus on offense and bringing Cutler along. He got burned by that move and eventually fell back into the same thing that you are describing. Sucks for Shanny b/c you're 100% correct. He is an outstanding HC and offensive genius. He can create mismatches on that side of the ball like no other. Unfortunately, the VP/GM portion of his job got in the way of those attributes and it ultimately led to his demise. Good post Med!

rastaman
12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
!0 years, are you off your nut?

We will contend for the playoffs next season and will be a better team than this season as long as Pat makes the right hire.

Gotta think long term as well. To assume this team can't regress from where they are now! Maybe a perfect setup for disappointment.:thumbsup:

rastaman
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I think Mike finally realized that in 2007. He brought in Jim Bates, a coach that had a lot of success in the past. I think the plan was to let him worry about defense and allow Shanny some time to focus on offense and bringing Cutler along. He got burned by that move and eventually fell back into the same thing that you are describing. Sucks for Shanny b/c you're 100% correct. He is an outstanding HC and offensive genius. He can create mismatches on that side of the ball like no other. Unfortunately, the VP/GM portion of his job got in the way of those attributes and it ultimately led to his demise. Good post Med!

Looks like Larry Coyer should have been given a longer contract. The 2005 & 2006 Broncos Defense under Coyer were a great unit compared to the 2007 &2008 Defensive units.

Popps
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Gotta think long term as well. To assume this team can't regress from where they are now! Maybe a perfect setup for disappointment.:thumbsup:

Again, we have to be totally accurate with those kinds of statements...

We've won one playoff game in ten years. To "regress" from that would mean to win none in the next ten. Is that possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

This franchise has been so irrelevant for a decade, there is more upside going forward than down. Again, this is a different era of football. Franchises are turned around in a hurry and Denver has some major components in place to be successful.

Kaylore
12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Again, we have to be totally accurate with those kinds of statements...

We've won one playoff game in ten years. To "regress" from that would mean to win none in the next ten. Is that possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

This franchise has been so irrelevant for a decade, there is more upside going forward than down. Again, this is a different era of football. Franchises are turned around in a hurry and Denver has some major components in place to be successful.

You're minimizing '05. Winning 13 games and earning a first round bye isn't "irrelevant". I count that season as two playoff wins because good enough to earn a bye, then advance to the AFCCG is excellent by an team's standards. I agree that only doing so once in ten years is too little, but let's not pretend that we were a crappy team all these years.

You got your wish, Popps. You don't need to tap dance on the grave of Shanahan's career in Denver. Let's wait and see what we get instead before we bust out the champagne...unless its for new years. :)

Steve Sewell
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
You're minimizing '05. Winning 13 games and earning a first round bye isn't "irrelevant". I count that season as two playoff wins because good enough to earn a bye, then advance to the AFCCG is excellent by an team's standards. I agree that only doing so once in ten years is too little, but let's not pretend that we were a crappy team all these years.

You got your wish, Popps. You don't need to tap dance on the grave of Shanahan's career in Denver. Let's wait and see what we get instead before we bust out the champagne...unless its for new years. :)

I don't think that Popps is tap dancing on the grave of Shanahan's career. I think he's trying to point out the bottom line for those who can't grasp the concept that the Broncos have been woefully mediocre (by Broncos fan standards) for the better part of 10 years.

Rock Chalk
12-31-2008, 09:23 AM

No doubt going to the AFCCG was a great accomplishment, especially considering the team we had, but we also need to consider that in those 10 years, 3 playoff berths, two seriously bad blowouts, 2 losing seasons, 2 8-8 seasons.

This is by far the worst stretch of Broncos football in 3 decades.

I agree with Popps premise that things are not likely to get worse over the next 10 years. They might, but the odds are actually in favor of improvement over regression IMO.

Kaylore
12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think that Popps is tap dancing on the grave of Shanahan's career. I think he's trying to point out the bottom line for those who can't grasp the concept that the Broncos have been woefully mediocre (by Broncos fan standards) for the better part of 10 years.

I wouldn't say woefully mediocre. I would say decent but nothing to write home about except for a few seasons. Shanahan is a great coach and a poor GM. His coaching hid a lot of his misfires and miss-hires. If Shanahan ever accepts a role as a pure coach that only works on the offense and lets the defense do their thing then he'll win another SB.

Rohirrim
12-31-2008, 09:25 AM
No doubt going to the AFCCG was a great accomplishment, especially considering the team we had, but we also need to consider that in those 10 years, 3 playoff berths, two seriously bad blowouts, 2 losing seasons, 2 8-8 seasons.

This is by far the worst stretch of Broncos football in 3 decades.

I agree with Popps premise that things are not likely to get worse over the next 10 years. They might, but the odds are actually in favor of improvement over regression IMO.

The truth is that if Bowlen brings in a coach who basically stands pat on offense and improves the defense and STs by half, the Broncos win the division next year.

We should also consider, Bowlen will probably want to make a splash in the draft and FA to instill confidence in the season ticket holders and the fan base that all will be well.

Steve Sewell
12-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't say woefully mediocre. I would say decent but nothing to write home about except for a few seasons. Shanahan is a great coach and a poor GM. His coaching hid a lot of his misfires and miss-hires. If Shanahan ever accepts a role as a pure coach that only works on the offense and lets the defense do their thing then he'll win another SB.

Agreed on all except the mediocre part. In the seasons that we did make the playoffs, other than 2005, we experienced MASSIVE, embarrassing blowouts. Or we would have an 8-8, 7-9, or 9-7 record. Not exemplary by any standard really.

I was thinking as soon as I heard the news that he was fired, that if Jerry Jones were to fire Phillips and bring in Shanahan, it would be mid-90's Broncos all over again in Dallas.

Dendave
12-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I am not reading through 16 of this stuff here is my opinion

What this team needed was a change of direction...Shanahan is a great coach, but he has lost the team. He can't modivate them anymore. They just don't have the same "edge" they seemed to have years ago. I love this move...and please don't bring in Cowher...bring in a young, freash new approach guy, that has the hunger. Cowher just wants to get paid. He has no motivation to win.

Steve Sewell
12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Cowher just wants to get paid. He has no motivation to win.

You can't be serious about this statement.

TheReverend
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

I had over a liter last night...

TheReverend
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Because god also gave me a penis.

TonyR
12-31-2008, 10:11 AM

Yes! That's EXACTLY it. We all wanted to believe for so long that he could do 1997 and 1998 again. But when you step back and look at it rationally and objectively this franchise has been mediocre since winning the Super Bowl in early 1999. We have accomplished very little in the Post Elway/Post Super Bowl Repeat era. Nobody wants to say it or believe it because we all love and respect Mike Shanahan because of what he brought us. But it became clear long ago it wasn't going to happen again. Some saw it earlier than others, some still don't see it. But it's right there in front of you. One playoff win and one division title in 10 years says about all that needs to be said.

It was time, and probably past time.

If you haven't read it yet I implore you to read Pat Forde's column linked below. He really nails it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3801219&sportCat=nfl

yavoon
12-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Awesomeness.

zone blocking is becoming MORE popular in the league, not less.

epicSocialism4tw
12-31-2008, 11:42 AM

Yes...and it has also gained popularity in college.

Oklahoma's record-setting offense has been using it for a few years.

Ambiguous
12-31-2008, 01:00 PM
In for this epic thread

Meck77
12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to post a bit of mojo for the sake of history! This is a ROF thread!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4518/patbowlengr9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7062/boobsjc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/boobsjc9.jpg/1/w391.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img530/boobsjc9.jpg/1/)

frerottenextelway
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Yes, there are like 4 teams instead of 2 or 3 nowadays (although only Houston has something really similiar to us).

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Bates sticking around pretty much ensures our offense won't change much. That's great news. It obviously wasn't the problem, overall.

baja
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Bates sticking around pretty much ensures our offense won't change much. That's great news. It obviously wasn't the problem, overall.

At one point pat said all coaches would be gone where did you hear that at Bates, that would great.

theAPAOps5
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
At one point pat said all coaches would be gone where did you hear that at Bates, that would great.

I also heard he wants to retain Bates. He said he had input on the extension.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Bowlen stated in the press conference that all coaches will be gone and the new coach will have the ability to pick his own staff.

Keeping Bates would be great. Perhaps he was speaking over-general?

Jens1893
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Bowlen stated in the press conference that all coaches will be gone and the new coach will have the ability to pick his own staff.

Thatīs a bit of a contradiction, isnīt it? All coaches will be gone but the new guy will be able to pick his own staff?

What if the new guy wants to keep some coaches? While I think a change at the top was the right move, I donīt think this franchise is in need of an overhaul of the whole coaching staff. In fact, Iīd actually be somewhat disappointed if Bates, Dennison and Turner were shown the door.

And I donīt think Iīd ever hear myself say that I was disappointed about Dennison losing his job.

Kaylore
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM

Maybe he was just leaving that open so any changes going forward wouldn't be a shock. We'll have to see.

Popps
12-31-2008, 01:49 PM

Oh, you know... I'm just going off of the idea that we extended him just days ago. But, technically... I don't think it's been announced. I suppose there IS a chance we could axe him. That would be very odd, though.

baja
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
and a mistake

TomServo
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
This is the darkest day in my 17 year love affair with this team. I'm very offended by this. **** you, Bowlen. **** you.
im pretty sure that sums up the reason for the histeria around here. i have a bronco t-shirt ten years older than that. my daughter wore it during SB 32. it fit her like a sleepshirt. stored it again and she wore it to middle school a few times this year.
i think long time fans just see it as another chapter in bronco history ending not the end of the world.
imagine if the the mane existed in 1981: HOW CAN THEY FIRE RED MILLER? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! HE HAD US IN THE SB JUST 4 YEARS AGO AND THE PLAYOFFS 2/3 YEARS AFTER THAT. HE JUST HAD AN 8-8 SEASON THATS ALL. WERE DOOMED, BACK INTO 60'S MAN, GAME OVER.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Rock Chalk
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, there are like 4 teams instead of 2 or 3 nowadays (although only Houston has something really similiar to us).

4 teams or so that are heavily ZBS teams but almost all the teams use ZBS in some fashion or another and its use is growing.

Popps
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
im pretty sure that sums up the reason for the histeria around here. i have a bronco t-shirt ten years older than that.

Exactly.

gunns
12-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Pat isn't the best speaker, see HOF. I thought he meant that the new guy will have total control over who his new coaches are, keep some, get some new ones. We'll see.

broncosteven
12-31-2008, 04:21 PM
im pretty sure that sums up the reason for the histeria around here. i have a bronco t-shirt ten years older than that. my daughter wore it during SB 32. it fit her like a sleepshirt. stored it again and she wore it to middle school a few times this year.
i think long time fans just see it as another chapter in bronco history ending not the end of the world.
imagine if the the mane existed in 1981: HOW CAN THEY FIRE RED MILLER? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! HE HAD US IN THE SB JUST 4 YEARS AGO AND THE PLAYOFFS 2/3 YEARS AFTER THAT. HE JUST HAD AN 8-8 SEASON THATS ALL. WERE DOOMED, BACK INTO 60'S MAN, GAME OVER.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

My Mom kept my Bronco Pajamas from the late 70's. She gave it to me when I got married 10 years ago. I am going to make my son wear it when he is old enough.

By the way, I felt the same way about Miller getting canned as I did yesterday, only difference was it took me longer to get over the Miller firing.

broncosteven
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
4 teams or so that are heavily ZBS teams but almost all the teams use ZBS in some fashion or another and its use is growing.

I would like to see it as a facet but I would like to see more of a power, knock defenders on their ass counter and trap run game.

If we are making wholesale changes because a guy has been aroung 21 years we should allow the new guy to install his o.

We have the linemen to do it.

Dendave
12-31-2008, 04:51 PM
You can't be serious about this statement.

totally

tnedator
12-31-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm not the sharpest spoon in the draw, but am I right in thinking you think Bowlen made a mistake in firing Shanahan???

Taco John
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not the sharpest spoon in the draw, but am I right in thinking you think Bowlen made a mistake in firing Shanahan???

I'm leaning in that general direction.

rastaman
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM

I think Bowlen pulled the trigger a year too early. With rash of injuries to his RB's, Shanahan was lucky to pull out an 8-8 season. I had thought Bowlen understood this aspect as well. But, it was definitely the Defense performance that decided Shanahan's fate.

Meck77
12-31-2008, 05:05 PM

See Bowlen is a drunk thread. Hey Woody are you around here? You got to use that in your next article!;D

theAPAOps5
12-31-2008, 05:07 PM
No TJ just thinks Bowlen likes to drink and had his stomach removed.

SouthStndJunkie
12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I finally got a chance to watch the press conference.

Shanahan is all class.

Thanks for your 21 years with the Denver Broncos.

BroncoBuff
12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
How can you guys drink whiskey when god gave us vodka?Because god also gave me a penis.Ba-ZING!

Popps has been throwing his weight around quite a bit here lately ... nice to see somebody cut him down to size ;D

Popps
12-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Ba-ZING!

Popps has been throwing his weight around quite a bit here lately ... nice to see somebody cut him down to size ;D

What do you mean, lately. Are you saying I slacked off at some point?

BroncoBuff
12-31-2008, 10:41 PM

Shanahan is all class.
Yup ... class all the way. I was choking up with him for a minute there.

And notice how Adam Schefter was proven wrong by Shanny? If you recall, Adam jumped in Tuesday to contadict the Denver Post story - reporting that the Slowick issue had nothing to do with the firing. But at his press conference, Mike said, "(Bowlen) wants to make changes with the defensive coaches, obviously." Well, the word "obviously" is clearly referring to the fact that the defensive staff was an issue.

Dendave
12-31-2008, 10:44 PM

link please

lookin' glass
01-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Bowlen was quite clear on the status of Jim Goodman. Given his statement the entire staff would not be retained in lieu of the next coach filling their own staff Does this indicate Pioli less likely to be considered as he is a personnel man? One of the curious things about the Bates sr. hiring is Shanny said all or almost all of the defensive staff would be retained. Why wouldn't he allow Bates to fill his own staff?

Chris
01-01-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm shocked naturally...but I've come out of this excited for our future. You have to roll the dice to win championships.

watermock
01-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I knew Hillis would be productive. It wasn't all that much talent but the fact all our other backs were pathetic. Fragile, blind and stupid. Torain won't come back after the ACL.

Tis an epic FAIL.We had a SB offense if we had a RB. All we needed was a strong draft on D and FA, and a feature RB.

Instead, Bowlen blew up the team, and he will take some staff with him, if not this year, in coming years.

I think he winds up in NY.I hear the Hamptons are nice.

Rohirrim
01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I have to go with the whiskey (Irish) over the vodka (ewwww). :alky:

baja
01-01-2009, 09:35 AM
I have to go with the whiskey (Irish) over the vodka (ewwww). :alky:

I agree if fact I don't think you should be allowed to sell vodka in the same store as a good whiskey.

theAPAOps5
01-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Vodka is like the Boone's of hard liquor. Its for little nancy boys and college freshman girls learning how to drink. I see why Popps likes it. HEY OH! :)

elsid13
01-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Vodka is like the Boone's of hard liquor. Its for little nancy boys and college freshman girls learning how to drink. I see why Popps likes it. HEY OH! :)

Being Polish I resent this comment. Good Potato Vodka is not like Boones Wine. I almost neg repped you in fact.

theAPAOps5
01-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Being Polish I resent this comment. Good Potato Vodka is not like Boones Wine. I almost neg repped you in fact.

SHHHHHHH don't tell anyone but I am just taking pot shots at Popps. No offense intended.

Rohirrim
01-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Vodka is good for cleaning carburetors.

elsid13
01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
SHHHHHHH don't tell anyone but I am just taking pot shots at Popps. No offense intended.

I know that, and whole heartly agree. But you crossed the line, just saying. ;D

Cito Pelon
01-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Dude, potatoes originated in Peru. WTF did you Poles hang your hats on to get inebriated before that?

elsid13
01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Dude, potatoes originated in Peru. WTF did you Poles hang your hats on to get inebriated before that?

Vodka as drink as been around in Poland since the begin of the Middle Ages. At the time we made it out of from rye, wheat, barley and oats. All common in Eastern Europe at the time.

Potatoes were introduced in the distilling process in 1800s.

baja
01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Vodka is good for cleaning carburetors.

and starting fires.

baja
01-01-2009, 10:43 AM
This is what polish vodka will do for ya;

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g175/xdescendx/drunk3.jpg

Popps
01-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Look jr., I'm far from a drinker at this stage in my life.... but you go to parts the world where the real professionals drink, and they're not drinking some brown, barrel-swill-moonshine.... they're drinking vodka, brother.

Whiskey is great, as long as bad taste... lots of sugar and horrible hangovers don't bother you. It's like getting drunk on tootsie rolls.

SouthStndJunkie
01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
link please

Go to:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Look in the video/audio section.

Rohirrim
01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Vodka:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2419407393_7ecf09de6a.jpg?v=0

Whiskey:
http://tshirtreviews.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/irish-whiskey.jpg

theAPAOps5
01-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Look jr., I'm far from a drinker at this stage in my life.... but you go to parts the world where the real professionals drink, and they're not drinking some brown, barrel-swill-moonshine.... they're drinking vodka, brother.

Whiskey is great, as long as bad taste... lots of sugar and horrible hangovers don't bother you. It's like getting drunk on tootsie rolls.

Thanks for the education, Popps! Can we get a mod to change his name to Boones, just sayin!

Cito Pelon
01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Vodka as drink as been around in Poland since the begin of the Middle Ages. At the time we made it out of from rye, wheat, barley and oats. All common in Eastern Europe at the time.

Potatoes were introduced in the distilling process in 1800s.

Good use of a new crop I guess.

Popps
01-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Vodka:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2419407393_7ecf09de6a.jpg?v=0

Whiskey:
http://tshirtreviews.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/irish-whiskey.jpg

Just kiddin', mostly. I used to bartend and make a mean irish coffee!

I don't mind a good bourbon once in a while, but just not in excess. Then again, I can't drink much in excess anymore.

p.s. I love how the "gutless drunk" thread has sort of come full circle. :rofl:

theAPAOps5
01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Just kiddin', mostly. I used to bartend and make a mean irish coffee!

I don't mind a good bourbon once in a while, but just not in excess. Then again, I can't drink much in excess anymore.

p.s. I love how the "gutless drunk" thread has sort of come full circle. :rofl:

Yeah the bad bartenders always rely on Vodka. It all makes sense? :wiggle: ;D

jonny1
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I am of the group that thinks this is a mistake, Shanahan should have gotten at least another year to see how it worked out, WITH SLOVIK as defensive coordinator. Everyone bitched about no continuity on defense, well, this would have been one year to not change, but now, oh well.

My particular gripe is the people harping on "one playoff win since 98." You do realize that they had the bad luck to meet up with a team with, arguably, the best QB in the last 10 years, the best, most consistently high-scoring offense in the last ten years, a team that, if memory serves, only lost in the playoffs to the eventual SB champion (NE, Pitt).

You have to look at the overall picture of things. Marty Schottenheimer would be considered one of the best coaches ever, if it wasn't for always having to face Elway.

Popps
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah the bad bartenders always rely on Vodka. It all makes sense? :wiggle: ;D

No vodka in an irish coffee, sport!

Rausch 2.0
01-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Bronconation welcome to 2-14 and 4-12 seasons for the rest of our lives.

It only hurts your first time...

Taco John
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Two dogs walk into a bar.

Ouch.

yerner
01-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Vodka is ****. The rest of the world is queer. That is all.

Merlin
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm not going to bother with reading the thread, but if someone has not mentioned it yet, my big concern is whether SD is smart enough to hire him. If they do they will win a SB or two in the next three yrs and Denver might as well get used to looking up their a$$ because we are not going to pass them for at least five yrs. Now if SD is stupid enough not to hire him (which I think they are), then they will continue their slide to ineptitude. Hopefully he will get hired out of the AFC.

Ambiguous
01-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Well this turned into a cluster**** in no time :)

TonyR
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
...my big concern is whether SD is smart enough to hire him....

Could Shanahan and A.J. Smith coexist?

theAPAOps5
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
No vodka in an irish coffee, sport!

I wasn't referencing your Irish Coffee, old man. I was referencing your past bar tending experience and love for Vodka. Put 2 and 2 together! :nutkick:

Popps
01-01-2009, 03:02 PM

I think whoever hires him is going to probably want him in a coach-only mode, unless he works over an organization like Cleveland or St. Louis.

baja
01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Hell if he is going to work as a coach only he should come back here.

400HZ
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM

On Smith's end they could. If he honestly believes that Shanahan is going to create a winner. Smith is a strong personality though who Shanahan might prefer not to work under. He might submit to working under a GM, but he'll still probably want a measure of input.

Bronco Yoda
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM

I just had to rep you for this. Kids and their syrupy goo... Let them grow hair on their chest and they will learn...;D

orinjkrush
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
if Shanny's smart (and he is) he'd take the year off and recoup.
Then go for the SB with a vengeance.

rastaman
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I think whoever hires him is going to probably want him in a coach-only mode, unless he works over an organization like Cleveland or St. Louis.

The Bengals would be a good fit for Shanahan.

TDmvp
01-01-2009, 10:09 PM
The Bengals would be a good fit for Shanahan.

:O( not sure how i would feel about that ...

Paladin
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Reports are that the Jets are interested in talking to Shanahan. CBS4 news.

Rausch 2.0
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
:O( not sure how i would feel about that ...

Cinci is a ****ing sinkhole...

TDmvp
01-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Cinci is a ****ing sinkhole...

little bit ...

TomServo
01-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by broncosteven http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2223827#post2223827)
Bronconation welcome to 2-14 and 4-12 seasons for the rest of our lives.

so, when have the broncos been that bad? not even in the early 70's.
God new fans suck.

SureShot
01-02-2009, 12:45 AM
so, when have the broncos been that bad? not even in the early 70's.
God new fans suck.

Our QB is too good to go 2-14 I don't care who the coach is.

TomServo
01-02-2009, 12:48 AM
so when have we gone 2-14?

TomServo
01-02-2009, 12:49 AM
a good qb doesnt go 2-14
btw.

Blueflame
01-02-2009, 01:25 AM
a good qb doesnt go 2-14
btw.

The Broncos won only 2 games in 1963, 1964 and 1982. There have been a few 3, 4, 5, and 6-win seasons in the early years as well. The Shanahan-era low was 6-10 in an incredibly injury-riddled '99 season... and most of those 10 losses were by less than 7 points.

Linkage: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

SouthStndJunkie
01-02-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm not going to bother with reading the thread, but if someone has not mentioned it yet, my big concern is whether SD is smart enough to hire him. If they do they will win a SB or two in the next three yrs and Denver might as well get used to looking up their a$$ because we are not going to pass them for at least five yrs. Now if SD is stupid enough not to hire him (which I think they are), then they will continue their slide to ineptitude. Hopefully he will get hired out of the AFC.

I know I said Kansas City and Cleveland are the two teams that I don't want Shanny to sign with....but I started thinking about it....and it would equally suck to see him sign with San Diego.

The thought of Shanny and Philip Rivers kicking our asses together for the next 10 years blows hairy nuts.

baja
01-02-2009, 06:37 AM
What makes that scary is hiring Shanahan to do everything in SD is something that would appeal to Spanos. If SD gets blown out by Indy I can see Spanos giving Mike a call and getting rid of his current GM and coach to make room for Mike. Thed worse part is Mike will learn from his mistakes here and become a better personal man. Shanny could enjoy the good life in SD while beating up every year the two teams that fired him Oakland & Denver.

If I were Shanny that is the job I would covert.

Mountain Bronco
01-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Oh, poor Taco, maybe you can start a board with Shanny's new team since you are an acolyte.

Cry about it a little more. WAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAA! I can see the tears from here.

Taco John
01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh, poor Taco, maybe you can start a board with Shanny's new team since you are an acolyte.

Cry about it a little more. WAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAA! I can see the tears from here.

You're not the sharpest tool in the drawer. This thread is a couple days old, bud.

Bronx33
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Are you 6 years old?

Rohirrim
01-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Speaking of gutless drunks. Ha!

Bronx33
01-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Speaking of gutless drunks. Ha!

CEH
01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
What makes that scary is hiring Shanahan to do everything in SD is something that would appeal to Spanos. If SD gets blown out by Indy I can see Spanos giving Mike a call and getting rid of his current GM and coach to make room for Mike. Thed worse part is Mike will learn from his mistakes here and become a better personal man. Shanny could enjoy the good life in SD while beating up every year the two teams that fired him Oakland & Denver.

If I were Shanny that is the job I would covert.

He was wearing a nice looking Charger yellow sportcoat at his press conference. Would not suprised me at all if he ended up in SD.
The team meets his qualifications.

He does hold a grudge forever.

Hammer
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I couldnt read all the way through on this so if this was addressed, my apologies.

Shanny is a great coach and terrible GM. I doubt that if he was given the option to stay as long as Bowlen brought in a new GM, Shanny would agree to it. The man has drafted 2 decent defensive players since 2001 (DJ Williams and Dumervil). He fares much better on the offensive side of the ball. He has gone through DCs more than I change underwear, a few that were highly touted such as Rhodes. I will miss Shanny but lets be objective here. The man cannot put together a defense. There have been plenty of bitter endings of late like the last 3 games, the 49er debacle two seasons ago and the Pitt loss in the playoffs. 1 playoff win in 10 years isnt getting it done. I will miss Mike and a lot depends on who comes in next but the fact is Mike wasnt getting it done.

Bronx33
01-02-2009, 09:18 AM
He was wearing a nice looking Charger yellow sportcoat at his press conference. Would not suprised me at all if he ended up in SD.

Mike would want total control so i doubt AJ would allow that so i guess it comes down to how bad he want's shanahan this won't even be considered until the 2010 season anyways norv has a lock on 2009 per AJ.

rastaman
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Fans hold GRUDGES forever as well.

colonelbeef
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I couldnt read all the way through on this so if this was addressed, my apologies.

Shanny is a great coach and terrible GM. I doubt that if he was given the option to stay as long as Bowlen brought in a new GM, Shanny would agree to it. The man has drafted 2 decent defensive players since 2001 (DJ Williams and Dumervil). He fares much better on the offensive side of the ball. He has gone through DCs more than I change underwear, a few that were highly touted such as Rhodes. I will miss Shanny but lets be objective here. The man cannot put together a defense. There have been plenty of bitter endings of late like the last 3 games, the 49er debacle two seasons ago and the Pitt loss in the playoffs. 1 playoff win in 10 years isnt getting it done. I will miss Mike and a lot depends on who comes in next but the fact is Mike wasnt getting it done.

If he is such a "terrible gm" why is he 60 games over .500 for his career with the broncos, including two championships, and just had the two best drafts the Broncos have ever had in the past 3 years? How did he fleece the Redskins multiple times, including getting Champ Bailey? How did he draft Cutler in the Leinart/young draft, and get Terrell Davis and Rod Smith out of nowhere? How did he draft Marshall in the 4th round and Hillis in the 7th? How did he get the best tackle in the 2008 draft, and perhaps the best receiver in Royal in the 2nd round? Sheffler, Kuper, the list goes on and on.

You are a moron if you think Shanahan was anything less than an amazing coach and risk taking, ballsy GM who when he was hot, was so scorching hot that nobody could touch him.

baja
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM

DUDE!!!! You're a hit!!!!!!!!

Have you read your reviews?

baja
01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
If he is such a "terrible gm" why is he 60 games over .500 for his career with the broncos, including two championships, and just had the two best drafts the Broncos have ever had in the past 3 years? How did he fleece the Redskins multiple times, including getting Champ Bailey? How did he draft Cutler in the Leinart/young draft, and get Terrell Davis and Rod Smith out of nowhere? How did he draft Marshall in the 4th round and Hillis in the 7th? How did he get the best tackle in the 2008 draft, and perhaps the best receiver in Royal in the 2nd round? Sheffler, Kuper, the list goes on and on.

You are a moron if you think Shanahan was anything less than an amazing coach and risk taking, ballsy GM who when he was hot, was so scorching hot that nobody could touch him.

24 and 24

Even Shanny said, "He didn't get it done."

NaptownChief
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
24 and 24

Even Shanny said, "He didn't get it done."

and a losing record of 23 and 25 if Eddie Hoc didn't $hit himself.

Shanny has been a good offensive coach and a horrible defensive coach coupled with a lot of big personel blunders like Clarrett, the entire Browns Defensive line among others. Overall he is done very little without Elway. It was probably well beyond time of letting him coast on the coattails of what Elway gave him a decade ago.

baja
01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Mike would want total control so i doubt AJ would allow that so i guess it comes down to how bad he want's shanahan this won't even be considered until the 2010 season anyways norv has a lock on 2009 per AJ.I think Spanos will be sourly tempted to can AJ and give Shanny the whole enchilada.

After rereading this I realize I could have worded it a little differently. ;D

Taco John
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM

I don't think it was a Chargers sport coat... But I *do* think he wore a yellow coat on purpose. The yellow coat is the coat of the NFL Hall of Fame.

TonyR
01-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Sure, "when he was hot" being the most important part of your rant. He had a great first 4 years followed by an above average 10 years. Pat Bowlen wants better than above average, better than 1 playoff win and 1 division title in 10 years. He's willing to take a risk to try and achieve that. That's what winners do. I'm glad he owns the Denver Broncos.

Hammer
01-02-2009, 11:58 AM

He was a terrible GM because he had an owner who allowed him carte blance in terms of personnel and coaches on the defensive side of the ball and couldnt get it done.

Why couldnt he put a decent defense together in the last 8 years?

broncosteven
01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think it was a Chargers sport coat... But I *do* think he wore a yellow coat on purpose. The yellow coat is the coat of the NFL Hall of Fame.

With 146 wins and 2 BACK TO BACK SB wins Mike should be a 1st ballot HOF'er. To bad by then he will go in with a different logo on his sportshirt.

Killericon
01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
With 146 wins and 2 BACK TO BACK SB wins Mike should be a 1st ballot HOF'er. To bad by then he will go in with a different logo on his sportshirt.

Like hell, man. He's a Bronco forever.

Blart
01-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd like to go on record agreeing with Taco John here. Bad move, and we'll be lucky if we're 8-8 next season.

jonny1
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
and a losing record of 23 and 25 if Eddie Hoc didn't $hit himself.

Shanny has been a good offensive coach and a horrible defensive coach coupled with a lot of big personel blunders like Clarrett, the entire Browns Defensive line among others. Overall he is done very little without Elway. It was probably well beyond time of letting him coast on the coattails of what Elway gave him a decade ago.

For crying out loud, go back to mullet land, jeez.

Clarett was a compensatory pick, and the Browns defensive line (which cost all of a 4th round draft pick, I believe) got the Broncos to the AFC championship game in 95.

And the idea of a Chef fan coming in here and trying to make a point about anything the Broncos have done in the draft is REALLY funny . . . .

Meck77
01-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Bowlen is a drunk bump!

In his younger years. ;D

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/664/pimpbl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/pimpbl2.jpg/1/w337.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img88/pimpbl2.jpg/1/)