PDA

View Full Version : TJ please turn off avatars & sigs plus temp. ban non fans or this place is going to

baja
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
CRASH!!

It's a good plan

luv2rite
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm starting to feel a little unwelcome. :(

baja
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
we will all be out in the cold during this historic time of Broncos history if he doesn't ban you non broncos fans for awhile

Bronx33
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Our server doesn't like you believe me it's not the fairy red jersey you wear.

DarkHorse
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
CRASH!!

It's a good plan

Agreed

BuckinKaeding
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM

I want to be the father of your Child.

OBF1
12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
So it has been done

theAPAOps5
12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Nothing like Shanny getting canned to test the new server. Its failed a couple times on me but imagine what would happen on the old server!

broncocalijohn
12-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Nothing like Shanny getting canned to test the new server. Its failed a couple times on me but imagine what would happen on the old server!

i would probably have to go to jockitch.com for the latest news on what the (place players) feel on the ( place current event here). Spamalot.

luv2rite
12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
So it has been done

I just want to thank TJ for not banning me.

tnedator
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Just a heads up. While avatars do put a load on the server, sigs don't. Since the images are hosted elsewhere (photobucket, imageshack, etc.), there is no load put on the server, like with avatars.

Don Flamenco
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I just want to thank TJ for not banning me.

I am the father of your woman's kids

2KBack
12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
this place had held up pretty well I think

baja
12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
ya it has, probably could turn them back on now...

Circle Orange
12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Radicals are always gumming up the works...

tnedator
12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
In case the above was missed, images in signatures don't put a load on a server, only avatars.

theAPAOps5
12-31-2008, 06:06 PM
We know Tned we relied on them for most of last season.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Just a heads up. While avatars do put a load on the server, sigs don't. Since the images are hosted elsewhere (photobucket, imageshack, etc.), there is no load put on the server, like with avatars.

That's not true. Every avatar and every sig file is a server call - that information is stored somewhere.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
ya it has, probably could turn them back on now...

Not until the storm has completely passed. I'd rather err on the side of keeping the server up than losing them because of resource drain during a news flash that I'm away from my machine on.

tnedator
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
That's not true. Every avatar and every sig file is a server call - that information is stored somewhere.

Big difference between avatar call (where the server has to store/serve an image) and a signature, where the server simply has to serve text. A signature is no more load on the server than displaying this line of text:

====
This is a signature, I have a picture, it is hosted at imageshack, and their servers have the load of serving up images httpsomething.something.image.jpg
===

Yes, there is a 'tiny' load in displaying that line of text, as there is a 'tiny' load in sending the signature to the client, but then the client (my IE, Firefox, etc.) then makes a call to the various places where the images are hosted, not from the Mane server.

Signatures have nearly zero extra load on the server.

Taco John
12-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Big difference between avatar call (where the server has to store/serve an image) and a signature, where the server simply has to serve text. A signature is no more load on the server than displaying this line of text:

====
This is a signature, I have a picture, it is hosted at imageshack, and their servers have the load of serving up images httpsomething.something.image.jpg
===

Yes, there is a 'tiny' load in displaying that line of text, as there is a 'tiny' load in sending the signature to the client, but then the client (my IE, Firefox, etc.) then makes a call to the various places where the images are hosted, not from the Mane server.

Signatures have nearly zero extra load on the server.

Yes, and on a site with the amount of traffic this one gets, the load adds up. Believe me, I've tested it. The RAM drops substantially when I shut off the signatures. Indeed, the Avatars give us more relief, but the signatures give us plenty as well. During big news phases like we're in, every ounce of juice counts to keep everybody in the loop.

tnedator
12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, and on a site with the amount of traffic this one gets, the load adds up. Believe me, I've tested it. The RAM drops substantially when I shut off the signatures. Indeed, the Avatars give us more relief, but the signatures give us plenty as well. During big news phases like we're in, every ounce of juice counts to keep everybody in the loop.

Ok, well you know best. Just trying to help and share vB's stance on the subject.

Back the regularly scheduled Shanny talk :)

baja
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Not until the storm has completely passed. I'd rather err on the side of keeping the server up than losing them because of resource drain during a news flash that I'm away from my machine on.

Are you still mad at me ;D

MileHighMagic
01-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Can we turn them back on now?

rugbythug
01-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Couldint you get a script that does it for you? Checks resouces every 5 minutes and shuts off Avatars and Sigs accordingly?

Ambiguous
01-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Maybe I will just manually start posting this pic every time...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/zapparulez/Bronco%20Pics%20Elway%20Era/patbowlenfurcoat.jpg

Northman
01-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Wait...server problems on the Mane? Say it aint so?

theAPAOps5
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I would say its good to go now. And Anubis it wasn't really bad just lagging a bit. Nothing like the good old days before Grandma got her hip replaced.

lazarus4444
02-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Out of curiosity what kind of setup do you have this forum on? Dedicated server?

Circle Orange
02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Back to the Dark Ages, back to the Cave...http://scosoft.com/s/i/75c56108.gif

crawdad
02-08-2009, 10:12 AM
No s**t, why are there no avatars TJ?