PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand? Mike Shanahan should...

baja
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
The following poll will remain open all off season please vote when you are ready.

bowtown
12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Should relax for a few weeks, not think about football, and come back refreshed and hungry for next year.

Broncoman13
12-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Shanahan should:

-Pound sand!!!

-Demote Slo back to Secondary Coach

-Bring in a true DC after some real research. Not this BS that we had with Bates. Greg Williams, Nolan, Crennel, Mangini, Marenilli... whatever/whomever!

-Man up and admit that this team is two players away from getting to the playoffs, but about six away from a Superbowl party.

-Talk Bowlen into the following:
-Albert Haynesworth
-Julius Peppers
-Oshinmingo Atogwe (or whatever his name is!)

If Bowlen won't pay the money, Denver is truly F'd. Bronco fans are HARDCORE, but they have their limits too. Field a competitive team and they will make sacrifices in a tough economy. Field a poor team and they'll find a number of other things to spend their money on!

colonelbeef
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Mangini or Marinelli, either would be interesting. The players were mostly to blame, but the schemes on D didn't help either. How many plays this season did we watch LB's overpursue only to have a back run through an arm tackle?

God do I hate Nate Webster

Spider
12-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Should relax for a few weeks, not think about football, and come back refreshed and hungry for next year.

Best post of the thread so far

Ironlung
The team has NO motivation. The players play more for a paycheck than to win. This is just one flaw of MANY. He has lost the team.

Dudeskey
Mangini or Marinelli, either would be interesting. The players were mostly to blame, but the schemes on D didn't help either. How many plays this season did we watch LB's overpursue only to have a back run through an arm tackle?

God do I hate Nate Webster

I would like to see Marinelli here. Of course that would mean Dre Bly will have to go since he's "not a fit in his system"...™

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2008, 09:01 AM
If he would allow himself to let a legit DC run things I would not be open to a HC change.

Peppers and Haynesworth moves is what Denver needs to get better faster but, that is a dream so expect it will be more of the same.

They need a very solid D draft ie Clady and Royal impact to start in right direction. Seems like longer offseason goes Mike forgets how bad D is and says we really aren't that bad and then boom the season falls apart.

NASurfer
12-29-2008, 09:04 AM
The following poll will remain open all off season please vote when you are ready.
Depends on whether or not Slowik comes back.

Mike Shanahan:
Throughout the NFL drafts I've been through, I can't tell you times I've heard someone say "This player is a good player, I like him, he's got strong character, the guy can run."

Then after we're with the player about a year, you know this guy can't play dead. Everyone knows it. But since you've invested so much time and effort in him, since you've put your stamp on him being hired and it's your reputation on the line, you say, "Let's keep him around an extra year."

Hey, you're not fooling anybody but yourself. A bad idea is a bad idea. Don't try to save it. Anybody who makes decisions is going to make mistakes. Just cut your losses and move on.

I think it's time for Shanahan to admit Slowik was a bad idea.

Ironlung
12-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Do you people who selected the first option TRULY believe hes the "best in the business?"

bowtown
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Do you people who selected the first option TRULY believe hes the "best in the business?"

No, but there wasn't an option saying: "Don't fire him, he's one of the top 10, and that's better than taking a risk on any of the other options out there and hoping that they can somehow implement their vision and turn this team around in less than 3 years, while the Mane screams for their head the second they lose two games in a row."

I would have picked that one, but #1 seemed the closest to that.

Do you really think that Shanahan has actually "lost this team"?

baja
12-29-2008, 09:38 AM
No, but there wasn't an option saying: "Don't fire him, he's one of the top 10, and that's better than taking a risk on any of the other options out there and hoping that they can somehow implement their vision and turn this team around in less than 3 years, while the Mane screams for their head the second they lose two games in a row."

I would have picked that one, but #1 seemed the closest to that.

<b>Do you really think that Shanahan has actually "lost this team"?

It has become clear to me the players do not love playing for "The little man upstairs" the way players once did. He coaches the enthusiasm out of them is what I see.

Broncoman13
12-29-2008, 09:43 AM
It has become clear to me the players do not love playing for "The little man upstairs" the way players once did. He coaches the enthusiasm out of them is what I see.

Exactly! When is the last time you saw somebody not named Champ Bailey completely sell out on the field???

gunns
12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I would like to see Marinelli here. Of course that would mean Dre Bly will have to go since he's "not a fit in his system"...™

Gee, that would be really disappointing.

gunns
12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Depends on whether or not Slowik comes back.

I think it's time for Shanahan to admit Slowik was a bad idea.

While I think there are multiple coaching problems on this team I agree with you. If Shanahan gets rid of Slowik I'm ready to go with Shanahan for one more season. If he doesn't, he's blinder than I thought, and he needs to go also.

lookin' glass
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think he's lost the team but it does have the 'Club Med' someone mentioned look to it. The retaining of Slowik only makes it more clear. Bates got 1/2 a year before the plug was pulled in favor of Shanahan's friend, whom oddly was promoted to defensive coordinator 1b when Bates was hired. The only improvement I saw in the defense was after there were injuries. When the injured came back the defense continued its sub subpar play. Cornerbacks continually lining up 10-15 yds off receivers, particularly when the premier shutdown CB is on the team, is madness. That Bailey prefers this is more of the same. Rhodes got dumped after one year because of his innovative two DL rush yet this defense just needs tweaked?!?

Broncojef
12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
While I think there are multiple coaching problems on this team I agree with you. If Shanahan gets rid of Slowik I'm ready to go with Shanahan for one more season. If he doesn't, he's blinder than I thought, and he needs to go also.

My exact feeling. Slowick can't evaluate the talent he currently has let alone drafting another group. Man I just feel sick this morning thinking about having this guy around for another year.

go_broncos
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Shanahan doesnt understand Defense.

He drafts players like Crowder and Moss.

His success rate in drafting good defensive players is minimal.

I dont want him to waste our draft picks this season.

He needs to be fired immediately.

Kaylore
There are some fluky things like seven people on IR at one position that aren't Mike's fault. I really think we win a few more games this year with some healthy running backs. However the defensive talent and the installing of Slowick and his crap defense are squarely on Shanahan. I don't expect much to change next season. If we miss the playoffs and our weaknesses haven't improved even a little bit then Shanahan needs to go.

baja
Exactly! When is the last time you saw somebody not named Champ Bailey completely sell out on the field???

Al Wilson and Jake Plummer were the last two I saw. Although I hear some of the young subs did this season. (I missed seeing a lot of games do to travel)

wolf754life
12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
yeah, thats it, lets all waste another year of jay cutler and the young offense with bob slow lick running the prevent D

its like everyone knows its bad, but we need to see the car crash one more time before we will make the change

this franchise is losing its identity!

baja
12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
21 voters think it is silly to even consider firing Shanny (34.43%)

40 voters have Shanny on a one season probation or worse. (65.57%)

footstepsfrom#27
12-29-2008, 09:25 PM

So 2/3 of the fan base here basically believes it's probably over for him. I wonder what a poll of the total fan base would reveal? Unfortunately the corporations who buy season tickets and suites at Invesco probably don't care either way.

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2008, 09:31 PM
So 2/3 of the fan base here basically believes it's probably over for him. I wonder what a poll of the total fan base would reveal? Unfortunately the corporations who buy season tickets and suites at Invesco probably don't care either way.

I bet if you asked this again in Mar/Apr it would flop the other way fans hope and forget about our issues at this time.

footstepsfrom#27
12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I bet if you asked this again in Mar/Apr it would flop the other way fans hope and forget about our issues at this time.
Maybe...but I'm not so sure about that this time. This board feels different than it has before. I think they only thing that changes people's minds is a successful season next year with marked improvement on defense.

tsiguy96
12-29-2008, 09:51 PM

do you ever watch marshall, jay, hillis, royal, or the entire oline play?

baja
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I think he is talking D here

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Maybe...but I'm not so sure about that this time. This board feels different than it has before. I think they only thing that changes people's minds is a successful season next year with marked improvement on defense.

I agree with what your saying but, unless we pull off a miracle in 09 with upgrades I can't see anyway we can bolster our D enough in one year.

tsiguy96
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree with what your saying but, unless we pull off a miracle in 09 with upgrades I can't see anyway we can bolster our D enough in one year.

*with slowik as DC.

doesnt matter what players you have on the field, if you play 15 yard cushions you are gonna get destroyed.

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
*with slowik as DC.

doesnt matter what players you have on the field, if you play 15 yard cushions you are gonna get destroyed.

No doubt that drives me nuts

BMarsh615
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Why the **** does Jeff Fisher still have a job? Shanahan has done better than he has. We are still competitive we have just had the worst injury bug the past 3 seasons.

Denver will never find a better coach than Shanahan. I would hate to see Mike Shanahan leave Denver, we would be bottom feeders. Our offense has always been good, you guys just don't know how good we have it with that guy.

I can't believe how many people voted against him. Morons.

baja
12-29-2008, 11:13 PM

UPDATE

28 VOTERS GIVE FULL VOTE OF CONFIDENCE (34.57%)

53 VOTERS WANT TO SEE SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT NEXT YEAR AT THE MINIMUM (65.43%)

PRBronco
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I wish I could vote for "Keep being awesome and also demote Slowik".

baja
12-29-2008, 11:23 PM
If He Keeps Being Awsome That Would Mean He Would Have To Address The Solwik Issue.

PRBronco
12-29-2008, 11:32 PM
If He Keeps Being Awsome That Would Mean He Would Have To Address The Solwik Issue.

Haha were you thwarted by the caps guard? I don't know how to get around it either :(

baja
12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Haha were you thwarted by the caps guard? I don't know how to get around it either :(

ha ha I was half way through typing the post and noticed the cap key had been struck i hate that so I just finished the post that way knowing the cap filter would kick in.

I wish there was a to undo caps after a sentence or two

footstepsfrom#27
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Why the **** does Jeff Fisher still have a job? Shanahan has done better than he has. We are still competitive we have just had the worst injury bug the past 3 seasons.

Denver will never find a better coach than Shanahan. I would hate to see Mike Shanahan leave Denver, we would be bottom feeders. Our offense has always been good, you guys just don't know how good we have it with that guy.

Yeah 25-22 in December and an average year of 9-7 since Elway left is just freaking AWESOME isn't it? I guess you're happy with 1 playoff win every decade but some of us have higher aspirations.

go_broncos
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM

1 playoff win in 10 years.

Fans deserve better than this.

Offense doesnt win games.
I want to see our defense to be at least average.

Right now.it is becoming worse.

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2008, 12:33 AM
i am behind him 100% but if the defense doesn't improve and he is too arrogant to draft a RB early or fire his DC buddy Slowik, and there is no improvement next year and no playoffs. then i will join in on the calling for his head.

BMarsh615
12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah 25-22 in December and an average year of 9-7 since Elway left is just freaking AWESOME isn't it? I guess you're happy with 1 playoff win every decade but some of us have higher aspirations.

I hate to break it to you but Denver will not win the Superbowl every year. The only reason the Patriots had as good of a run as they did is because they cheated. It just doesn't happen. Especially when you have to deal with all the injuries, most of the time the team that is the healthiest is the one who wins the SB.

How is Jon Gruden doing with Griese? How good was Plummer in AZ? He has brought along Cutler pretty well hasn't he? The QB situation has kept us from being legit contenders and now that Cutler will be going into his 4th year we should be alright. Denver has always had a good offense and that is because of Shanahan, until Al Wilson got hurt we always had a pretty respectable defense under Shanahan. The offense is set. The defense is all we need.

I don't think many head coaches could have their team contending for a playoff spot with the injuries we had this year.

BMarsh615
12-30-2008, 01:40 AM
1 playoff win in 10 years.

Fans deserve better than this.

Offense doesnt win games.
I want to see our defense to be at least average.

Right now.it is becoming worse.
It will get better in a year or two. We need 3 really good players at DE, MLB, and Safety before we get there. Changing defensive coordinators doesn't help so we probably should stick with Slowick if we ever want to play sound defense.

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 06:06 AM

I am somewhere in the middle of the give him one more year and thanks for the memories Mike groupings.

IF, and its a big if considering how much money Mike has wasted in the last 10 years, but IF he can talk Bowlen into bringing in some talent like Haynesworth and/or Peppers then I'd be willing to give him one more season to see what he can do.

Problem is, Pat isn't going to give up the money to sign these guys. Mike can play the card, hey we went cheap last year and what did Niko, Marlon, and Boss give us? All the signs point to Bowlen losing some faith in Shanahan and in turn cuffing his spending on FAs. I know people don't want to admit it, but if we don't spend money this offseason it's time to confront the fact that we're a franchise on a downward spiral.

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 06:07 AM
do you ever watch marshall, jay, hillis, royal, or the entire oline play?

Didn't know Marshall, Jay, Hillis, Royal or the entire OLine could help our defense??? Thanks for proving my point.

Broncoman13
12-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Al Wilson and Jake Plummer were the last two I saw. Although I hear some of the young subs did this season. (I missed seeing a lot of games do to travel)

Spencer Larsen and Wesley Woodyard sold out on every play. A few players on offense did as well, unfortunately that doesn't help our defense.

Bronco Yoda
12-30-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm not calling for his head.....but.... I wouldn't be heartbroken if the right replacement came along. This is the first time I've really felt this way.

baja
12-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I'm not calling for his head.....but.... I wouldn't be heartbroken if the right replacement came along. This is the first time I've really felt this way.

This season there are a lot of fans feeling this way for the first time and if it is more of the same next season than it will turn into a full scale rebellion.

I will not be surprised to see Pat step in and make some changes any time now. That might mean taking away some of Mikes power or insisting for a change in DC. Pat will get more pro active this off season IMO.

After this season (mainly the colossal collapse in December) Mike Shanahan's marketability has diminished. I don't think there will be many teams standing inline to give him the deal he has with Bowlen so Shanny's leverage has diminished and Bowlen has more room to insist that the power be spread around at Dove Valley and this would be a good thing IMO.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately the corporations who buy season tickets and suites at Invesco probably don't care either way.

It will be interesting to see if a lot of companies cut back on such expenses with the economy in the mess that it is. How can you justify luxury boxes when you're laying off thousands and not giving raises or bonuses?

footstepsfrom#27
12-30-2008, 07:13 AM
I hate to break it to you but Denver will not win the Superbowl every year.
No...really? Well I waited 30 years for them to win the first one but thanks for enlightening me on that. I see you were 9 when Shanahan took over here so you can be forgiven somewhat for thinking this franchise came into being the day Mike Mastermind took over. Obviously you're memory only goes back that far. What you fail to understand is that in 10 YEARS Shanahan has been making exactly the same mistakes and it's killing this team. Nobody thinks they should win the Superbowl every year but 1 playoff win in a decade, the same problems on defene and special teams and a 2nd half collapse almost every year is not acceptable. This is not Cincinatti, KC or Detroit. The fan base here knows this team is going nowhere and unlike loser towns like those people are NOT willing to indefinitely endure mediocrity and humiliation like we witnessed this week.
The only reason the Patriots had as good of a run as they did is because they cheated. It just doesn't happen. Especially when you have to deal with all the injuries, most of the time the team that is the healthiest is the one who wins the SB.
That's idiotic nonsense. The Patriots went 19-0 AFTER they got caught last year until they ran into a front 4 they couldn't handle. Second...this team is devestated by injuries almost every year. We're doing something wrong in the training room I think. Besides...we're not just talking about this season. We're talking about the last 10 years. Excuses are all I hear you bringing.
How is Jon Gruden doing with Griese?
Gruden won the Superbowl with Brad Johnson. Why? Because he had the NFL's best defense...because he KNOWS defense, something Shanahan doesn't.
How good was Plummer in AZ? He has brought along Cutler pretty well hasn't he? The QB situation has kept us from being legit contenders and now that Cutler will be going into his 4th year we should be alright. Denver has always had a good offense and that is because of Shanahan, until Al Wilson got hurt we always had a pretty respectable defense under Shanahan. The offense is set. The defense is all we need.
First of all the QB is not what has kept us from being a legit contender. The defense and special teams have done that, though obviously Jake was a problem too, but Shanahan brought him here. Like I said...Gruden won with Brad Johnson and a great D...Chris Simms as well...so you cannot blame the QB situation as the sole reason we've sucked for most of the last decade. In fact Gruden has 9 playoff appearances and 5 wins including a Superbowl title during Shanahan's post-Elway decade of mediocrity and he did it using 5 different starting QB's.

Second...Al Wilson was good but our D was nothing spectacular even while he was here. In 2005 they were 3rd in points against...largely on the strength of a ball control offense that dominated TOP with a strong running game. Wilson probably had his career cut short playing behind our crappy D-line with all it's Brownco's and other stiffs Shanahan brought in here. And what about the special teams? They've stunk for years and he seems powerless to do anything about it.
I don't think many head coaches could have their team contending for a playoff spot with the injuries we had this year.
They were "contending" for a playoff spot because they play in the worst division in the NFL where an 8-8 record actaully meant something. And what about the other 8 years this decade we failed to win the AFCW or a playoff game?

Or doesn't that count in your world?

footstepsfrom#27
12-30-2008, 07:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if a lot of companies cut back on such expenses with the economy in the mess that it is. How can you justify luxury boxes when you're laying off thousands and not giving raises or bonuses?
Tax write off.

55CrushEm
12-30-2008, 07:50 AM
All I know, is this is the first time in 26 years that Denver has missed the playoffs 3 years in a row.....(1980, 1981, 1982)......

Good times......it's broke.....so fix it.

Florida_Bronco
12-30-2008, 07:58 AM
I'll go between and say I'd give him next year and one more. Depending on the success/circumstances, then I'd be more ready to make a decision.

TonyR
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Gruden won the Superbowl with Brad Johnson. Why? Because he had the NFL's best defense...because he KNOWS defense, something Shanahan doesn't...

First of all the QB is not what has kept us from being a legit contender. The defense and special teams have done that, though obviously Jake was a problem too, but Shanahan brought him here. Like I said...Gruden won with Brad Johnson and a great D...Chris Simms as well...so you cannot blame the QB situation as the sole reason we've sucked for most of the last decade...

Second...Al Wilson was good but our D was nothing spectacular even while he was here. In 2005 they were 3rd in points against...largely on the strength of a ball control offense that dominated TOP with a strong running game. Wilson probably had his career cut short playing behind our crappy D-line with all it's Brownco's and other stiffs Shanahan brought in here. And what about the special teams? They've stunk for years and he seems powerless to do anything about it.

It almost always comes back to defense, doesn't it? Many here just want to ignore this for some reason.

SoCalBronco
12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I said this last week and I'm of the same opinion.

I still want him here.

He aggravates me to no end. He displays an almost unbelievable level of unjustifiable hubris and arrogance. He is a poor motivator. It's not his fault, but he doesn't have an extroverted personality that is needed to motivate people. He believes no motivation is needed, that a player should just do his job. That's true in the abstract, that is how it SHOULD be, but that's not how it IS. Certain people inspire others and other people don't. He motivates primarily by fear which is usually effective, but you have to mix it up. You have to have some charisma. He lacks this. He also has a tendency to scapegoat way too often. Our in-game adjustments are also rather ineffective. It is a testament to his gameplanning ability that we usually do so well in the beginning as we have scouted our opponents well, we've left no stone unturned in preparation and we usually have selected excellent plays to initially attack the opponent's weaknesses.

But Shanahan has great attributes as well. He is a MASTER tactician. He can squeeze blood out of stones. Going into the final game this season, we were the number 2 offense in the entire NFL. This is with 7 RBs go on the IR and no consistent run game even when guys were healthy (with the exception of the period when Hillis was the RB). I'd wager NO ONE ELSE in the entire league could accomplish this. Granted, as usual, we had difficulty turning yardage into points, which was the combination of a number of factors: an extremely high turnover rate, more red zone issues etc. I do think the red zone problems will decline in the future though because of Hillis, primarily. He did a fabulous job with his offense, though. Of that, there can be no question. He's also drafting better...much better. He's showing a willingness to learn, to adapt in a sense. He's accepting new ideas (Jeremy Bates), even if those new ideas are sometimes a little too Nintendo-ish in nature. These are the two things I am most proud of: his increased ability to draft and his ability to produce a great offense regardless of injuries. It is REALLY, REALLY hard to do both of these things in this league.

He is also developing talent on his side of the ball. Youngsters are contributing early and often. He's done a great job, along with Dennison, of turning two rookie OTs, one a real rookie, the other a virtual rookie, into pro bowl caliber players OVERNIGHT. He is responsible for stacking our cupboard with a wide array of elite offensive talent. We are FEARED across the league on his side of the ball...and mind you, that is without a stud buffalo in the backfield. He will fix this problem. One stud buffalo and we will be the undisputed No.1 NFL offense. We're already almost there without that.

Like most great figures, he's a very flawed man, too, but his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and I think by a substantial margin. This doesn't erase the pain of the season ending collapse. I cried after the BUF game. I refused to watch the SD game here at the resort even though it was on because I knew what was coming and I didn't want to aggravate myself on vacation. It was painful. We were letdown. We managed to screw up in historic fashion. And the pain was made doubly worse because we were denied the playoffs for two years prior to that. We were forced to endure four home losses and that undoubtedly contributed to the anguish, as well, especially since three of those losses were to fairly poor teams.

He did let us down. He did put the fans through hell this year. But he's also achieved great things for us, that no one ever thought we would see. More importantly, he's laid a great foundation for us in the future. We're on the rise. We can score on anyone, anytime, anywhere. We're ****ing loaded on offense.

His task now is improve the defense. Shanahan has been faced with this task before. In the Coyer Era, we had to rebuild our defense and we did it, in fairly short order. Despite being extremely angry and disappointed with the team this year, I am confident in Shanahan's ability to turn around our defense. It's because he can now draft well. We've been the best team in the NFL in drafting in the last three years. At worst, we're top 3. Take a look at the drafts yourselves. It's not homer. It's true. This gives me alot of confidence. He has also attempted, on a small-scale, to increase our picks in next year's draft. Obviously, we don't have anywhere near as many as I like, but I take notice of the effort to get more and appreciate that he realizes that THIS is the way to go do it. This is the way to build. This shows maturity and growth. That's what I want to see when bad things happen.

We've also been fiscally responsible for the first time in years. We've taken a step back, we've tried to grow the team responsibly. We're not in Washington Redskin mode anymore. As a result, we now have a great deal of funds to play with. This also shows maturity and shows Shanahan's growth as a leader. This is another reason I believe in him despite ****ing up a wet dream like he did this year.

I still believe in the guy and so should you.

Rant over.

bowtown
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM

I still want him here.

He aggravates me to no end. He displays an almost unbelievable level of unjustifiable hubris and arrogance. He is a poor motivator. It's not his fault, but he doesn't have an extroverted personality that is needed to motivate people. He believes no motivation is needed, that a player should just do his job. That's true in the abstract, that is how it SHOULD be, but that's not how it IS. Certain people inspire others and other people don't. He motivates primarily by fear which is usually effective, but you have to mix it up. You have to have some charisma. He lacks this. He also has a tendency to scapegoat way too often. Our in-game adjustments are also rather ineffective. It is a testament to his gameplanning ability that we usually do so well in the beginning as we have scouted our opponents well, we've left no stone unturned in preparation and we usually have selected excellent plays to initially attack the opponent's weaknesses.

But Shanahan has great attributes as well. He is a MASTER tactician. He can squeeze blood out of stones. Going into the final game this season, we were the number 2 offense in the entire NFL. This is with 7 RBs go on the IR and no consistent run game even when guys were healthy (with the exception of the period when Hillis was the RB). I'd wager NO ONE ELSE in the entire league could accomplish this. Granted, as usual, we had difficulty turning yardage into points, which was the combination of a number of factors: an extremely high turnover rate, more red zone issues etc. I do think the red zone problems will decline in the future though because of Hillis, primarily. He did a fabulous job with his offense, though. Of that, there can be no question. He's also drafting better...much better. He's showing a willingness to learn, to adapt in a sense. He's accepting new ideas (Jeremy Bates), even if those new ideas are sometimes a little too Nintendo-ish in nature. These are the two things I am most proud of: his increased ability to draft and his ability to produce a great offense regardless of injuries. It is REALLY, REALLY hard to do both of these things in this league.

He is also developing talent on his side of the ball. Youngsters are contributing early and often. He's done a great job, along with Dennison, of turning two rookie OTs, one a real rookie, the other a virtual rookie, into pro bowl caliber players OVERNIGHT. He is responsible for stacking our cupboard with a wide array of elite offensive talent. We are FEARED across the league on his side of the ball...and mind you, that is without a stud buffalo in the backfield. He will fix this problem. One stud buffalo and we will be the undisputed No.1 NFL offense. We're already almost there without that.

Like most great figures, he's a very flawed man, too, but his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and I think by a substantial margin. This doesn't erase the pain of the season ending collapse. I cried after the BUF game. I refused to watch the SD game here at the resort even though it was on because I knew what was coming and I didn't want to aggravate myself on vacation. It was painful. We were letdown. We managed to screw up in historic fashion. And the pain was made doubly worse because we were denied the playoffs for two years prior to that. We were forced to endure four home losses and that undoubtedly contributed to the anguish, as well, especially since three of those losses were to fairly poor teams.

He did let us down. He did put the fans through hell this year. But he's also achieved great things for us, that no one ever thought we would see. More importantly, he's laid a great foundation for us in the future. We're on the rise. We can score on anyone, anytime, anywhere. We're ****ing loaded on offense.

His task now is improve the defense. Shanahan has been faced with this task before. In the Coyer Era, we had to rebuild our defense and we did it, in fairly short order. Despite being extremely angry and disappointed with the team this year, I am confident in Shanahan's ability to turn around our defense. It's because he can now draft well. We've been the best team in the NFL in drafting in the last three years. At worst, we're top 3. Take a look at the drafts yourselves. It's not homer. It's true. This gives me alot of confidence. He has also attempted, on a small-scale, to increase our picks in next year's draft. Obviously, we don't have anywhere near as many as I like, but I take notice of the effort to get more and appreciate that he realizes that THIS is the way to go do it. This is the way to build. This shows maturity and growth. That's what I want to see when bad things happen.

We've also been fiscally responsible for the first time in years. We've taken a step back, we've tried to grow the team responsibly. We're not in Washington Redskin mode anymore. As a result, we now have a great deal of funds to play with. This also shows maturity and shows Shanahan's growth as a leader. This is another reason I believe in him despite ****ing up a wet dream like he did this year.

Rant over.

:thumbs:

go_broncos
12-30-2008, 11:43 AM

I still want him here.

Rant over.

I trust him when he picks a player on offense.

But, on defense ..I just don't trust him.

Also, for the past few years..we seem to start well and then fade in the end.
(during game as well as during season).

On top of that, he is arrogrant and still doesn't understand that the defense is the problem.

10 years..1 playoff win..He is not even a average coach.

You will realize that when we lose games to inferior teams and then miss playoff's again next year.

WolfpackGuy
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd like to see him give up control of picking DEFENSIVE personnel. Stability is a good thing which is what you need when you're constantly rebuilding on the run rather than imploding the team every 4 or 5 years.

go_broncos
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see him give up control of picking DEFENSIVE personnel. Stability is a good thing which is what you need when you're constantly rebuilding on the run rather than imploding the team every 4 or 5 years.

It won't happen. You know it..

supermanhr9
12-30-2008, 11:59 AM
such a great poll

baja
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM

I still want him here.

He aggravates me to no end. He displays an almost unbelievable level of unjustifiable hubris and arrogance. He is a poor motivator. It's not his fault, but he doesn't have an extroverted personality that is needed to motivate people. He believes no motivation is needed, that a player should just do his job. That's true in the abstract, that is how it SHOULD be, but that's not how it IS. Certain people inspire others and other people don't. He motivates primarily by fear which is usually effective, but you have to mix it up. You have to have some charisma. He lacks this. He also has a tendency to scapegoat way too often. Our in-game adjustments are also rather ineffective. It is a testament to his game planning ability that we usually do so well in the beginning as we have scouted our opponents well, we've left no stone unturned in preparation and we usually have selected excellent plays to initially attack the opponent's weaknesses.

Rant over.

Well you make some good points and I would be impressed but I notice you also support Richard Millhouse Nixon ;D

baja
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
35.29% think Shanny is the bomb

64.71% have Shanny on a very short leash

stugotsII
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
The only thing that Shanahan has proved in 10 years is that he can't win without John Elway and Terrelle Davis.

Enough is enough. How many terrible defensive coordinators is he gonna bring in and how many terrible defensive players is he gonna bring in, not to mention his never ending experiment at running back.

Get a stud running back and stick with him.

Florida_Bronco
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Excellent post SoCal. One of your best ever.

baja
01-04-2009, 05:53 PM
did you get what you wished for?

baja
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
We are almost there stop this silly firing talk, he's still the best in the business

Anaximines, bdv, BFDD, Blart, BlueCrusher, BMarsh615, bowtown, bronco militia, BroncoMan4ever, broncosteven, cdabroncofan, clint7, colonelbeef, Cool Breeze, cutthemdown, dekers, Doggcow, ECBronco, elsid13, Elway 4 Life, Florida_Bronco, GSRelyea, Houshyamama, Inkana7, jacob2125, Jason in LA, JCMElway, jpero, loborugger, mkporter, Mr Chatterboodamn, MrPeepers, nvbronco, OrangeRising, Peoples Champ, PRBronco, rastaman, Rocky Mountain Stampede, Shoemaker, Spider, supermanhr9, Taco John, thecrippler, tsiguy96, watermock, WolfpackGuy
46 36.22%

<b>After what I saw this season I am willing to give Mike one more season but no play offs no Mike</b>

521 1N5, AboveAverage, baja, bombquixote, briane, BroncoBuff, BroncosMT, Casper Bronco, Colorado4Life, Crushaholic, Dedhed, DeusExShanahan, Dexter, DivineBronco, DomCasual, DrewB, GoWYO, gunns, jmz313, jsco70, Kaylore, Meck77, MileHighMagic, misturanderson, Moon§hiner, Mountain Bronco, Natedogg, ND Bronco Fan, outdoor_miner, ozomulsion, Popps, rabbmasterflash, razorwire77, rdskier, rovolution, scttgrd, Smiling Assassin27, SouthStndJunkie, TheDave, toad, TonyR, Traveler, VT_Bronco, Warlord, Ziggy
45 35.43%

<b>Thanks for the memories Mike but you lost this team and it is time to go it's just that simple</b>

AtH2O-27, Broncojef, Broncomutt, broncosxxxii, broncsyanks, Bronkota, budman, Clark, Donk, EmpireOrange, Finger Roll, footstepsfrom#27, Goobzilla, go_broncos, Grumps, hades, HEAV, Jens1893, meangene, MplsBronco, NaptownChief, NFLBRONCO, Orange-N-Bluesince72, orinjkrush, OSKIE!!!, Rigs11, ScottXray, slyinky, stugotsII, telluride, texpat, TheDude07, tornado927, troya900, Txdonk, wolf754life
36 28.35%

DBroncos4life
01-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I didn't vote but I NEVER wanted him gone. This move sucks.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
best in the business.. LOL