12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Just curious.

Houshyamama
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
False

Popps
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Why are you trolling SoCalBronco?

Nothing to do with SoCal. I love that guy. He's a great poster. I think DJ went to his college or something (?) so he's got a fondness for him. Nobody's perfect. :)

SouthStndJunkie
12-28-2008, 10:28 PM
He is an above average/good LB at weakside when healthy....but not a pro bowl caliber player right now.

Popps
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Not to shock anyone, but I voted no.

broncofan2438
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Idiots

BroncoBuff
12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
TRUE. For the first half of this season only though. Not last year at Mike, and not at Sam.

Although he did improve every week last season at Mike, and could have been a decent MLB.

broncofan2438
12-28-2008, 10:46 PM
hahahahahahaha

Vegas_Bronco
12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
He reminds me of a good Nate Webster.

broncofan2438
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
haahhahahhahahahaaaahaaha

BroncoBuff
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
You guys are forgetting the first 7 games this year ... DJ was A-L-L O-V-E-R the place ... he was in on every single tackle, had like 3 sacks and broke up a few passes too.

How soon we forget.....

Popps
12-28-2008, 10:54 PM
You guys are forgetting the first 7 games this year ... DJ was A-L-L O-V-E-R the place ... he was in on every single tackle, had like 3 sacks and broke up a few passes too.

How soon we forget.....

I remember DJ finally showing up for a few games. I didn't forget. He's a WLB, so he's always going to have decent tackle numbers.

The question was with regards to him being a Pro Bowl player. I've never thought he was, and didn't think so this year, either.

I think he's a nice athlete with marginal football instincts. He's not nasty, and rarely makes big plays.

Yes, he has spells where he looks like a professional football player.

tsiguy96
12-28-2008, 11:05 PM
maybe a new DC would have gotten woodyard on the field again :D

Taco John
12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I believe DJ would be among the to 5 WLBs in the league if we had a functioning defensive line.

Vegas_Bronco
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
No leadership = No Pro Bowl; trust me....Urlacher and Lewis are Icons b/c of their leadership just as much as their play.

Taco John
12-28-2008, 11:23 PM
No leadership = No Pro Bowl; trust me....Urlacher and Lewis are Icons b/c of their leadership just as much as their play.

Urlacher and Lewis are MLBs. The quarterback of the defense. You would expect them to be outspoken leaders. You don't hear about your WLBs being the outspoken team leaders very often.

Popps
12-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I believe DJ would be among the to 5 WLBs in the league if we had a functioning defensive line.

Our line is awful... no doubt about that. Ekuban had a sack as he'll do now and again. (Thankfully) But, no one else came close to the QB all night.

Engleberger is akin to putting a sack of potatoes out there. I think even the most foggy-headed among us sees that now.

Moss was freakin' inactive and Dumervil was a real disappointment this year.
He's really wasting away with us. The kid would have probably been better suited in a 3-4 somewhere.

That said, Woodyard managed to look pretty dominant right out of the gate. DJ went AWOL in two crucial games, which is nothing unusual.

minibronco
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
No, but close. No pro bowler can operate without his system... maybe a lead rush from the DE maybe help from the mlb.

Taco John
12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
As far as I know, just about everybody has always known that Engleberger is just a role player out there. At least I've never heard anybody say differently.

Woodyard looks pretty damn good. Even dominant at times. But he has a lot of the same problems that DJ has had all season - save that Woodyard has remained healthy. Either guy would benefit tremendously from a better defensive line.

I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision between the two. It's nice to have at least one position stacked with talent.

Popps
12-28-2008, 11:43 PM
We'll all get to see some real defenses in action coming up soon.

Catch the Ravens or Steelers games, if you can. Watch the pockets collapse on opposing QBs and check out the hits these guys lay on opposing teams.

I just hate that we are such a pansy-ass D and have been for so long.

OBF1
12-29-2008, 01:41 AM
simply NO WAY JOSE

Drek
12-29-2008, 04:30 AM
When healthy and at WLB? Yes, I think he could be a consistent pro-bowler.

But with how much he's been jerked around, in our sorry excuse for a defensive scheme? No. Only guys who will make the pro-bowl under our current setup are rep guys like Lynch was or a truly elite star who can shine beyond everyone else's sucking like Bailey.

Dempsey Dog
12-29-2008, 05:41 AM
maybe a new DC would have gotten woodyard on the field again :D

I like DJ, but it is all about wins. We won 3/4 with Woody and lost the last 3 with DJ. DJ has not won a game in which he played since Tampa.

illbroncsfn
12-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Upon return from injury, DJ was not an effective LB'er as Woodyard should have finished out the season as the starting WLB. Poses a very interesting organizational question to answer, stay w/DJ and the hefty salary- or trade DJ and go w/Woodyard while taking some of DJ's money to invest in D-Line upgrades and Secondary improvements.....

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Upon return from injury, DJ was not an effective LB'er as Woodyard should have finished out the season as the starting WLB. Poses a very interesting organizational question to answer, stay w/DJ and the hefty salary- or trade DJ and go w/Woodyard while taking some of DJ's money to invest in D-Line upgrades and Secondary improvements.....

To me this is where it's at. We should have kept the defense on the field and the one that was performing. When these "starters" came back from injury it just got worse all over again. Of course mentioning losing hillis also carries a huge weight. Biggest loss of the season IMO.

Orange_Beard
12-29-2008, 06:35 AM
He shows flashes. I have never seen him dominate a game.

jmz313
12-29-2008, 06:37 AM
first thing a LB should be able to do is wrap up and tackle. DJ fails.

Sure he racked up lots of tackles in past years. But that just means he was on the field for lots of plays. making a a guy fall down after a 8 yd gain is nothing special.

bronco militia
12-29-2008, 06:39 AM
he's a reflection of the broncos defense the last 5 years....

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2008, 06:39 AM
He shows flashes. I have never seen him dominate a game.

I've never seen him take over a drive. Heck, even Winborn has done that.

Traveler
12-29-2008, 06:44 AM
When healthy and at WLB? Yes, I think he could be a consistent pro-bowler.

But with how much he's been jerked around, in our sorry excuse for a defensive scheme? No. Only guys who will make the pro-bowl under our current setup are rep guys like Lynch was or a truly elite star who can shine beyond everyone else's sucking like Bailey.

Shifting DJ around has stuned his growth as a player IMO. He'd definitely be one of the top 5 players at his position had he remained at WLB.

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Shifting DJ around has stuned his growth as a player IMO. He'd definitely be one of the top 5 players at his position had he remained at WLB.

The only year he really...really got shifted was last season to MLB. He played both SAM and WILL the year before.

bloodsunday
12-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Man the negativity is flowing thick today.

I think DJ is going to be fine. He played hurt the last few games. And he was leading the league in tackles before his injury. Not bad considering he shedding way too many blocks.

IMO, DJ is the kind of player that would go somewhere with a great defensive scheme and kick butt. The problem here is that the softness runs so deep into the bones our Defensive philosophy that it makes our best players look invisible.

Here's an example, NE took Vrabel (a Pitt cast-off) and turned him into a border-line Pro Bowler because they "plugged him in" to a good system. T

The problem here is that not only is the personnel under-achieving, but we have so little continuity on D that I don't even know what our system is.

Orange_Beard
12-29-2008, 07:52 AM
I've never seen him take over a drive. Heck, even Winborn has done that.

I agree. He disappears for long stretches.

Winborn is the only guy we have who plays with any fire. I love the guy.

Kaylore
12-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I voted "yes". He can play at a pro-bowl level. He wasn't the same after he came back from injury. Before injury he was our best defender. He made good tackles and many of them clutch, like the third down stop against the Saints, some great goal-line hits, just good stuff. He's a good player with a bad D-line and a bad coordinator.

Rock Chalk
12-29-2008, 07:57 AM
DJ is athletically gifted enough to be a pro-bowler.

But he is never going to be football smart enough to be a pro bowler.

With a better line he would be a top 10 WLB in the league, but he doesnt make enough big plays to be a probowler. Rarely gets sacks or interceptions, and I do not see DJ making tackles for loss very often.

Atlas
12-29-2008, 08:10 AM
We dumped a truck-load of money on him.

True or false?

DJ Williams is a joke. Both Webster and Winborn are better than him. I'm not joking. Williams got blocked by just about every player on the Chargers offense. DJ's play was offensive. It is no coincidence that Denver's defense played its best when he was injured and not playing.

He is horrible.

He plays like a marshmellow

brncobrett
12-29-2008, 08:16 AM
None of our linebackers are starters anywhere else. Except Woodyard maybe. DJ is a joke..

Mountain Bronco
12-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I saw WW make more plays than DJ, including the first 7 games. Overrated. It isn't suprising that the D took a huge step back when DJ and Webster started playing again. No fire, no heart, nice late hit on Rivers to give them a 1st and goal though.

illbroncsfn
12-29-2008, 08:29 AM
The main question the Broncos organization has to answer w/DJ is he worth the money being paid to him as a WIL when the Broncos can plug in Woodyard at a wonderfully low salary and get a comparable return in quality of play?

DJ is a solid player- but is he a difference maker? In my assessment of DJ he is a top flight athlete but lacks the "Instincts/Nose" to be a continuous difference maker.

If only we could put Woodyard in DJ's body.....

Fusionfrontman
12-29-2008, 08:34 AM
DJ looks soft as a marshmellow yes.

Give me some nasty Lbers like Woodyard and I'm happy.
Glad everyone else is seeing what I been saying for a few weeks now. I started a thread asking if we should trade him and people called me an idiot.

Beantown Bronco
12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Glad everyone else is seeing what I been saying for a few weeks now. I started a thread asking if we should trade him and people called me an idiot.

Well, regardless of what folks think of his play, the cap hit because of his shiny new contract WOULD make it idiotic to trade him right now.

TheReverend
12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
The main question the Broncos organization has to answer w/DJ is he worth the money being paid to him as a WIL when the Broncos can plug in Woodyard at a wonderfully low salary and get a comparable return in quality of play?

DJ is a solid player- but is he a difference maker? In my assessment of DJ he is a top flight athlete but lacks the "Instincts/Nose" to be a continuous difference maker.

If only we could put Woodyard in DJ's body.....

You know how I know you're gay...?

TheReverend
12-29-2008, 09:07 AM
If the defensive evaluations come through and they decide to make Wesley a Mike... they need to hurry and get him on a D-bol IV immediately.

Play2win
12-29-2008, 09:16 AM
We dumped a truck-load of money on him.

True or false?

OH, HELL NO

I wouldn't loose any sleep if we traded his arse...

esp if we drafted Rey-Rey... and had WW... it would go from a passive LB core to an attack the Point of Attack LB core almost immediately... DJ always has been part of the problem...

Play2win
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
TRUE. For the first half of this season only though. Not last year at Mike, and not at Sam.

Although he did improve every week last season at Mike, and could have been a decent MLB.

He was an absolute HORRIBLE MLB, who was incapable of tackling anything within 5 yards of the line of scrimage...

Play2win
12-29-2008, 09:23 AM
DJ Williams is a joke. Both Webster and Winborn are better than him. I'm not joking. Williams got blocked by just about every player on the Chargers offense. DJ's play was offensive. It is no coincidence that Denver's defense played its best when he was injured and not playing.

He is horrible.

He plays like a marshmellow

QFT

Winborn-Larsen-WW played far better than our starters last night. webster especially needs to go...

Mountain Bronco
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
If Webster sniffs the field at the begining of next year we don't make the playoffs again. WW, was playing great. The youngsters were playing great. I still haven't seen an explination for taking them off the field.

Popps
12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Over 80% of respondents don't believe Williams is a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

I guess we can end the "everyone" thinks he's a Pro Bowler talk.

Honestly, if we could get anything for him, I'd be thrilled to trade him.... but we won't.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2008, 04:36 AM
He's a rich man's Ian Gold.

Spider
12-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Ijust cant tell who is good who isnt with that D line , when the d line did its job Dj had some decent games , but with limited Pressure , and the Dline getting blown off the LOS to hard t ojudge any backer for the broncos

colonelbeef
12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
He will look much better with a competent MLB next to him. Webster makes everyone look like ****.

Spider
12-30-2008, 06:53 AM
too much wash , not enough clean backside to even judge webster , I will add though Webster does tend to sell out and make the wrong read ......a few years back vs Green bay , webster play cost us the game on a long run , webster read run , but shot the wrong gap

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 09:03 AM
He will look much better with a competent MLB next to him. Webster makes everyone look like ****.

Except for Woodyard?

BlaK-Argentina
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I'd go for a WW, Rey, Winborn.

Play2win
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I'd go for a WW, Rey, Winborn.

I've said that before, and I really think its a winning combination... :thumbsup:

GarretBarnes
12-30-2008, 09:30 AM
TRUE!!!! He would be a pro bowl player if we didn't keep making him change positions.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
TRUE!!!! He would be a pro bowl player if we didn't keep making him change positions.
That's part of the problem, but even settling back at Will this year, he definitely was playing at a Pro Bowl level the first 6-7 games of this season, and commentatotrs were talking him up for Hawaii. For heaven's sake, he was in on every single tackle against Tampa, New Orleans, New England .. also had 2 or 3 sacks. It's too bad fans with short attention spans forget that.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 10:49 AM
That's part of the problem, but even settling back at Will this year, he definitely was playing at a Pro Bowl level the first 6-7 games of this season, and commentatotrs were talking him up for Hawaii. For heaven's sake, he was in on every single tackle against Tampa, New Orleans, New England .. also had 2 or 3 sacks. It's too bad fans with short attention spans forget that.

Did you see ANY drop off in play when he was injured?

Be honest, now. :thumbsup:

SoCalBronco
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Well I finally found the internet cafe at the resort here in Punta Cana, and sure enough I stumbled onto this thread. :) I did not watch the game even though it was televised here, although obviously I saw the score.

Re: this thread, Yeah, he is pro bowl caliber WLB. He played at that level before he got hurt. It seems he wasnt all the way back when he returned, didn't have his usual burst and explosiveness and perhaps range. But when he was healthy this year, he was getting alot of love from sectors of the media that usually do not give us any. He's a high quality WLB. He had a pro bowl caliber year before he got hurt. It's the truth. You might not like to hear it, alot of people might not like to hear it, but its true.

League scouts quoted by PFW believe it among other observers. I know the fans like to rag on particular players, which happens alot, especially when we're losing, but this isn't the guy that should be the target of any criticism. It's not just tackle numbers, its tackle for loss numbers and he did quite well there before getting hurt. He did an excellent job. He was a Pro Bowl WLB this season. It's a shame that he got that knee injury which slowed him down the rest of the way.

He's an excellent player and its a shame that he's not appreciated by our fans. But then again, very little that happens at this place surprises me.

TheReverend
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Well I finally found the internet cafe at the resort here in Punta Cana, and sure enough I stumbled onto this thread. :) I did not watch the game even though it was televised here, although obviously I saw the score.

Re: this thread, Yeah, he is pro bowl caliber WLB. He played at that level before he got hurt. It seems he wasnt all the way back when he returned, didn't have his usual burst and explosiveness and perhaps range. But when he was healthy this year, he was getting alot of love from sectors of the media that usually do not give us any. He's a high quality WLB. He had a pro bowl caliber year before he got hurt. It's the truth. You might not like to hear it, alot of people might not like to hear it, but its true.

League scouts quoted by PFW believe it among other observers. I know the fans like to rag on particular players, which happens alot, especially when we're losing, but this isn't the guy that should be the target of any criticism. It's not just tackle numbers, its tackle for loss numbers and he did quite well there before getting hurt. He did an excellent job. He was a Pro Bowl WLB this season. It's a shame that he got that knee injury which slowed him down the rest of the way.

He's an excellent player and its a shame that he's not appreciated by our fans. But then again, very little that happens at this place surprises me.

Bud, I'd highly recommend you go out of your way to avoid watching that game and DJ's play in it. Forever.

SoCalBronco
12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Bud, I'd highly recommend you go out of your way to avoid watching that game and DJ's play in it. Forever.

I'm not sure why that would change my opinion in any way. The proposition I advanced is that when he was finally put back in his original position AND he was fully healthy, he was a Pro Bowl caliber WLB. A number of league scouts agreed with that assessment. Whether he played poorly at SD is irrelevant because that I never said he was playing at his full capacity after he got hurt.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Did you see ANY drop off in play when he was injured?

Be honest, now. :thumbsup:
That's no way to evaluate a player ... and no, there wasn't a dropoff in LB play, mostly because Wesley Woodyard was so great.

BroncoBuff
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5069/61940285zw3.jpg

Interesting to read what was said about him before the injury .... doesn't mention Pro Bowl specifically, but read between the lines.

Some fans around here have too short of memories. The last box comment says DJ had been playing Mike some, and that (had we not re-signed him) other teamns wouldda been interested in him as a Mike free agent.

DJ back to Mike might not be the worst idea ... he started slow there last year, but improved greatly by season's end.

Atlas
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Denver needs to move DJ back to the middle. Cut Kooties and keep Webster and Larsen to push DJ. Woodyard, Williams, Winborn to start the season.

Denver's first 3 picks have tpo be DE, DT, S in no particular order. After that draft a LB at some point.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
We need a NT to play the 3-4, we're screwed without that ....

This thread is so "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" hilarious, what do these people have against DJ? The defense is horrible, sure, and that's probably why the poll is negative. But silly comments like the Rev thinking DJ is just average because we didn't "notice any dropoff" after he was injured ... where to begin with all the things wrong with that standard? :nono:

DJ is our 2nd best defensive player, and you guys should really direct your anger about the defense toward more productive ends ;D

OBF1
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I still laugh everytime this thread reappears

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
It is hilarious, I'll give it that ... :nono:

Florida_Bronco
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
It is hilarious, I'll give it that ... :nono:

My thoughts as well.

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Nothing wrong with being in the minority with your thinking. I've been there many times. The idea was to take the pulse on whether or not he was a top tier player.

We have our answer.

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Denver needs to move DJ back to the middle. Cut Kooties and keep Webster and Larsen to push DJ. Woodyard, Williams, Winborn to start the season.

Denver's first 3 picks have tpo be DE, DT, S in no particular order. After that draft a LB at some point.

Williams was horrific in the middle. He's got marginal instincts at best, and has a hard enough time figuring out which direction to run on the weak side.

He piles up tackle numbers because he's big and fast. That's fine, but nowhere near what you need to play in the middle. Thank god that experiment ended. Rest assured, you won't see this new staff goof around with that idea again... unless we switch schemes and he's used in that way, which I still don't like.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
You're hilarious, Popps.

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
You're hilarious, Popps.

Thanks, bro!

:sunshine:

Greybeard
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
He reminds me of a good Nate Webster.

Hmmm . . . "good" and "Nate Webster" . . .

Somehow, those two terms don't seem to belong together, at least in a football sense . . .

-----

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Popps, you've now started 4 threads and 2 polls about our second best defensive player DJ Williams since the San Diego game ....

We have our answer about you and DJ:
http://perfumestore.co.nz/images/Obsession%20Cologne%20by%20Calvin%20Klein%20for%20 Men.jpg

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:52 PM
I'll say this... put Williams in a system with talent around him where all he has to do is run straight and tackle, and he's effective. Hopefully the new staff can do as much.

But, just don't expect game-changing plays, forced fumbles, interceptions... or big-time plays from him. That's not his M.O..

He's a fast runner and a solid tackler. That's about it.

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Popps, you've now started 4 threads and 2 polls about our second best defensive player DJ Williams since the San Diego game

Whoa! Creative, bro! Nice job! The obsession bottle joke!

:notworthy

I'm the second fastest runner in my house... next to my Boxer. That doesn't mean I'm very fast.

In any case, take out your anger on the 136 people who said he's not a Pro Bowl player. You can get the 36 who think he is to assist you.

Not sure why you're blaming me for public opinion.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Whoa! Creative, bro! Nice job! The obsession bottle joke!
:thanku: ... I thought you'd like that ;D

But seriously ... you're arguing DJ is just an average linebacker, and you're using this poll as "proof"?! That is TOO funny! ROFL! LOL :~ohyah!:

Whatever ... you wanna burn up threads attacking DJ - the leading tackler in the National Football League after 7 games - have at it. Enjoy yourself.

Popps
01-12-2009, 10:16 PM
But seriously ... you're arguing DJ is just an average linebacker, and you're using this poll as "proof"?! That is TOO funny! ROFL! LOL :~ohyah!:

Honestly? No. Polls here are never proof of anything, except public opinion.

That said, this poll was born from the idea that a few folks here thought a few other folks were just CRAZY to question DJ's Pro Bowl status. Turns out, those people were NOT crazy, and that it's damned near 80% of people watching every one of our games that don't think he is.

But, again... no, polls don't form my opinions. You've been around here a while. You've seen how many times I've been on the other side of popular opinion. I fought the majority here on Lelie, Travis Henry and a host of others.

DJ is fine, I just don't think he's worth what we pay him... and he's not my type of player. Tackle statistics are only part of the puzzle when evaluating a player, just like any other position with regards to stats.

Point is, if he's our second best player... we're in deep trouble.

By the way, this thread is a couple weeks old.