PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow: Not a first round pick?

Drek
12-07-2008, 05:14 AM
I've heard this talk quite a bit lately, most recently it was even mentioned on PTI that Tim Tebow will probably not be a first round pick.

Is that completely asinine to anyone else? Guy has a shot at a second Heisman this year, might win a second national championship this year, and he's as athletic a QB as the league has seen since Vince Young.

He's obviously not a great fit for every system, but he'd fit in a hell of a lot of them. If he slides out of the first round some teams are going to be looking stupid in a few years.

elsid13
12-07-2008, 06:05 AM
I think that he most likely will fall into the late round because of his throwing motion. He has crappy mechanics and ball dives into the dirt when he throw it. Plus I don't think he has the arm strength to throw the 15 yard our.

broncofan7
12-07-2008, 06:10 AM
I am a HUGE FL fan--but his game does not translate well into the NFL--to erratic and too slow--he lacks lateral quickness--those runs he makes against college defenses would not be as effective in the pro's at all. His throws are often high and his VERY athletic recievers are constantly having to adjust to the ball---If he had accuracy I would say that he is the next Mark Brunnell--but he doesn't.

elsid13
12-07-2008, 07:08 AM
To be fair I also think Bradford (OU) is going to struggle when he gets to the NFL too. I think that he going to have problem adjusting to the speed of the game and how fast he needs to get rid of the ball, because in college he never really be forced to throw with feet not set or under pressure because of that offense line.

lex
12-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I am a HUGE FL fan--but his game does not translate well into the NFL--to erratic and too slow--he lacks lateral quickness--those runs he makes against college defenses would not be as effective in the pro's at all. His throws are often high and his VERY athletic recievers are constantly having to adjust to the ball---If he had accuracy I would say that he is the next Mark Brunnell--but he doesn't.

Yeah, he runs way too physically for it to translate well to the NFL. Teams have to be scared about paying a QB first round money that plays that way. Im sure GMs worry that he's an injury waiting to happen. Plus, Florida is a program of great athletes, which means Tebow has relatively large passing windows. He also has good Olinemen. In the NFL, those passing windows shrink and he has less time to throw. And has been mentioned, he's isnt exactly the most polished passer. He is more or less some physically gifted good guy who isnt as polished as you want from a 1st round pick. Philanthropy is great but I wonder if his trips in the summer is taking away from his progress as a QB.

Broncoman13
12-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I think he'll slip out of the first and somebody will be extremely smart and happy to get him toward the top of the 2nd round. As much as I'd hate to see it, somebody like the Faiders, who need OL help in a bad way, would be extremely wise to draft Oher in the first and then Tebow in the second (assuming he comes out). Russell isn't the answer and Tebow really could use a year of a real system to get his game down. He'll be a very good throwing QB but it will take some time as that part of his game hasn't matured yet. His heart will distinguish himself. I'd love to have him as a Bronco back up but wouldn't spend a second on him since it's not a huge need.

The Jets, Seahawks, Rams, and Lions would all be wise to draft Tebow in the first (jets) or second (rest of em).

broncofan7
12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
I like Chase Daniel as a Denver Backup--he reminds me of Drew Brees.

lex
12-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I like Chase Daniel as a Denver Backup--he reminds me of Drew Brees.

No way. What success that dude has had in college can be linked to the fact that he played in practically the same system in high school. He will have to learn a new offense, he is a runt, and his arm strength is questionable. He threw an out to the wide side of the field last night and it barely made it. I would rather have a smart, accurate passer who is from a more obscure school that has a little mobility.

Rohirrim
12-07-2008, 09:32 AM
You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies. Tebow is a fighter and a winner. He's in the mold of Favre, Plunkett, Stabler and Namath. If there was another Bill Walsh out there he would draft this kid and win four SBs.

Traveler
12-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Couldn't have said it better. Tebow is a poor man's Vince Young IMO. Only difference is Tebow doesn't have mental issues.

broncofan7
12-07-2008, 09:47 AM
You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies. Tebow is a fighter and a winner. He's in the mold of Favre, Plunkett, Stabler and Namath. If there was another Bill Walsh out there he would draft this kid and win four SBs.

Didn't Bill Walsh call Jake Plummer the 'next Joe Montana' when Jake was leaving ASU?

Rohirrim
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Didn't Bill Walsh call Jake Plummer the 'next Joe Montana' when Jake was leaving ASU?

He meant to say, "The Joe Montana of handball." ;D

lex
12-07-2008, 09:57 AM

He meant to say the next Joe Idaho. Joe Idaho isnt as good as Joe Montana.

bpc
12-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I think a little bit higher of Tebow. He's going to have to sit for a few years though watching.

Probably 3rd round guy IMO.

summerdenver
12-07-2008, 10:30 AM
IMO, Tebow needs to quicken his release to be successful in nfl. His deep ball accuracy is also questionable.

He has lot of other skills good pocket awareness, toughness, moxie but you never know how qb will react to changing his fundamentals. He is sort of a project in that sense.

If I am Minnesota or someother team in need of a QB, i will take Mathew Stafford. He looks to me like a more polished Jay Cutler and his game projects well to nfl.

Aftermath
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
hes a winner and will win in the nfl

elsid13
12-07-2008, 11:02 AM
hes a winner and will win in the nfl

So were Faiser and Wufferal.

TheChamp24
12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Tebow will definitely have to sit for 2 years to learn the NFLgame and change his game.
From what I've seen, he likes to run the ball and truck defenders. That won't happen in the NFL.
He doesn't have great mechanics throwing and his arm strength is average IMO, with above average accuracy.
He is a developmental guy, and I think he will be a late 1st/2nd round pick.
And remember, Danny Weurffel won the Heisman at Florida. Winning the Heisman does not = successful NFL career. Heck, look at Jason White too.
And winning in college does not mean you will win in the NFL. I think its ridiculous when people bring this up. Ken Dorsey was a winner in college and looked great at Miami. Matt Leinart was a winner.
And the Raiders will NOT draft a QB for at least 2 years early. They have a HUGE amount invested in Russell and this is only his 2nd year. Gotta give him 2 more years at least.

elsid13
12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Development guys are usually 3 rounders or later. 1st and 2nd are ready to come in compete.

Jens1893
12-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Tebow will definitely have to sit for 2 years to learn the NFLgame and change his game.
From what I've seen, he likes to run the ball and truck defenders. That won't happen in the NFL.
He doesn't have great mechanics throwing and his arm strength is average IMO, with above average accuracy.
He is a developmental guy, and I think he will be a late 1st/2nd round pick.
And remember, Danny Weurffel won the Heisman at Florida. Winning the Heisman does not = successful NFL career. Heck, look at Jason White too.
And winning in college does not mean you will win in the NFL. I think its ridiculous when people bring this up. Ken Dorsey was a winner in college and looked great at Miami. Matt Leinart was a winner.
And the Raiders will NOT draft a QB for at least 2 years early. They have a HUGE amount invested in Russell and this is only his 2nd year. Gotta give him 2 more years at least.

Eric Crouch, Troy Smith, Chris Weinke ...

Rohirrim
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Same stuff they said about Duante Culpepper.

BroncoMan4ever
12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I've heard this talk quite a bit lately, most recently it was even mentioned on PTI that Tim Tebow will probably not be a first round pick.

Is that completely asinine to anyone else? Guy has a shot at a second Heisman this year, might win a second national championship this year, and he's as athletic a QB as the league has seen since Vince Young.

He's obviously not a great fit for every system, but he'd fit in a hell of a lot of them. If he slides out of the first round some teams are going to be looking stupid in a few years.

Troy Smith, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke are 3 QB's drafted in the last decade who won the Heisman none of which were drafted in the first round.

winning the Heisman does not make you a great NFL player. Tebow has great athletic ability, and that wins awards in college, but in the NFL athletic ability isn't enough. Look at Vince Young or Michael Vick. you also need the mental aspect of the game, and Tebow's skills are very similar to Young's. also more than likely Stafford and Bradford are coming out and both are better than him.

GoHAM
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I just don't see Tebow as an NFL quality QB, then again I didn't see Alex Smith as a first round QB either, so that shows you what I know.

Just watching Tebow throw the ball, he looks like an offensive lineman throwing the ball around in warmups. The ball flutters and ducks, has no trajectory and usually nosedives for the dirt. And his release can be measured w/ a sundial. At this point Tebow to me is an overhyped BVP. Sure he can run the ball and shotput the ball to his talented receivers, and he wins a lot of games and he's a really nice guy and a great teammate but I just don't see him as an NFL QB.

But I could be wrong. Name me the last really succesful NFL QB to win the Heisman. Palmer and that's not looking like a real good argument right now.

stugotsII
12-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Tebow is NOT be a first round selection. He is the product of a college system and that's it.

Unless the team that drafts him runs Urban Meyers version of the spread, he won't be anything but a backup.

There is a difference between putting up huge numbers in college and winning awards and performing in the NFL.

Please see:

Eric Crouch
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Tim Couch
Ryan Leaf
Jason White
Timmy Chang
David Klingler
Ty and Koy Detmer

...and the list goes on and on.

Another way to look at this:

Name one, just one QB who ran the spread option offense in college who has been a success in the NFL.

Traveler
12-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I just don't see Tebow as an NFL quality QB, then again I didn't see Alex Smith as a first round QB either, so that shows you what I know.

Just watching Tebow throw the ball, he looks like an offensive lineman throwing the ball around in warmups. The ball flutters and ducks, has no trajectory and usually nosedives for the dirt. And his release can be measured w/ a sundial. At this point Tebow to me is an overhyped BVP. Sure he can run the ball and shotput the ball to his talented receivers, and he wins a lot of games and he's a really nice guy and a great teammate but I just don't see him as an NFL QB.

But I could be wrong. Name me the last really succesful NFL QB to win the Heisman. Palmer and that's not looking like a real good argument right now.

QFT! Guess we'll have to wait and see his combine video to determine who is correct. My guess is the QB from Oklahoma will make a better Pro QB than Tebow.

gyldenlove
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Tebow is NOT be a first round selection. He is the product of a college system and that's it.

Unless the team that drafts him runs Urban Meyers version of the spread, he won't be anything but a backup.

There is a difference between putting up huge numbers in college and winning awards and performing in the NFL.

Please see:

Eric Crouch
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Tim Couch
Ryan Leaf
Jason White
Timmy Chang
David Klingler
Ty and Koy Detmer

...and the list goes on and on.

Another way to look at this:

Name one, just one QB who ran the spread option offense in college who has been a success in the NFL.

Vince You... okay maybe not

gyldenlove
12-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Honestly though, Tebow won't be a 1st rounder. If you look at the last several drafts there is 1 thing that teams value higher than anything in a QB and that is arm strength. Arm strength is why Flacco went in the 1st round and why QBs with more college success than him went later. Tebow just doesn't have the power to make all the NFL throws and teams hate that.

You can live with a crooked throwing motion, the Chuggers do, but you can't live with a noodle armed QB. Right now Tebow relies quite a bit on the dual threat approach, open up the field and nothing materializes through the air quickly just take off and pick up some yardage. In the NFL that will get you killed, just look at the lack of success Vince Young had running the ball, and he is bigger, stronger, a lot faster and more agile than Tebow.

Taco John
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Tebow reminds me of Vince Young (not in play style - just in his game translating to the NFL). I wouldn't want to draft him until the third round.

Peoples Champ
12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I can name more 5 NFL teams that could use him as a starter or backup/eventual starter.

Bears
Lions
Chiefs
Bengals (behind Palmer)
Dolphins (cp is garbage)
Bills (JP lossman?)
Jacksonville (Garrard?)
Buccaneers (garcia will be done soon)
Jets (farve will be done soon)
Vikings (tavaris jackson, ferrote will be done soon)
Rams (they need to give up on Bulger)
49ers (?)

All of these teams could use him as a # 2 QB, a handfull of these teams he could start on and eventually do well. If I were the Bears or Lions I would take him in a heartbeat with my first round pick. Maybe the other teams I listed could use him at a 2nd rounder if he doesnt go in the first.

rovolution
12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Tebow reminds me of Vince Young (not in play style - just in his game translating to the NFL). I wouldn't want to draft him until the third round.

agree.

Vince failed in the NFL b/c of his natural lack of intelligence, which prevented him from learning complex and difficult NFL coverage schemes.

I see Tebow having the same issues since he has pretty much been in a 2 read, take off and be athletic system at Florida.

Rohirrim
12-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Tebow strikes me more as a Favre type than a VY type.

cmhargrove
12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I can name more 5 NFL teams that could use him as a starter or backup/eventual starter.

Bears
Lions
Chiefs
Bengals (behind Palmer)
Dolphins (cp is garbage)
Bills (JP lossman?)
Jacksonville (Garrard?)
49ers (?)

All of these teams could use him as a # 2 QB, a handfull of these teams he could start on and eventually do well. If I were the Bears or Lions I would take him in a heartbeat with my first round pick. Maybe the other teams I listed could use him at a 2nd rounder if he doesnt go in the first.

You think Tebow should be the #1 overall pick in the next draft? That's where the Lions will be picking.

cmhargrove
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I think comparisons between VY and Tebow are appropriate, but you muust see on absolute difference. Teboow is an incredibly self motivated achiever type. Vince relied on his natural talent, and didn't try (or wasn't able) to learn the next level.

I think Tebow will do whatever it takes to learn how to play in the NFL. If it means reworking his throwing motion, I think he can be taught that as well. Hell, if Philip Rivers can do so well with his horrible shot put throwing motion, then Tebow can learn also.

I think it will take him a year, but he should be an NFL starter. Hopefully he gets drafted by a team that has a year to "redshirt" him. I think he would be an awesome fit for a team like Carolina that already has a QB, and a great run game. Delhomme has been beat up a lot but probably has a couple seasons left in him.

lex
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Honestly though, Tebow won't be a 1st rounder. If you look at the last several drafts there is 1 thing that teams value higher than anything in a QB and that is arm strength. Arm strength is why Flacco went in the 1st round and why QBs with more college success than him went later. Tebow just doesn't have the power to make all the NFL throws and teams hate that.

You can live with a crooked throwing motion, the Chuggers do, but you can't live with a noodle armed QB. Right now Tebow relies quite a bit on the dual threat approach, open up the field and nothing materializes through the air quickly just take off and pick up some yardage. In the NFL that will get you killed, just look at the lack of success Vince Young had running the ball, and he is bigger, stronger, a lot faster and more agile than Tebow.

He has a stonger arm than you are giving him credit for. It seems that he doesnt always throw a spiral though...like he has a problem with how it comes out of his hand.

BroncoMan4ever
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Vince You... okay maybe not

he wasn't even that good his rookie year when he won ROY. i still say he won because of all his hype and the fact that his TEAM won a lot of games.

look at Matt Ryan, that is a QB who deserves ROY.

Peoples Champ
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
You think Tebow should be the #1 overall pick in the next draft? That's where the Lions will be picking.

Good point, forgot about that, well they need to take the Best QB, whether they think its gonna be Tebow or not, thats up to them.

Same with bears, who might have a 15th pick, They need the best QB available, whether they believe thats Tebow or not, thats up to them.

I was just making the point of there are a lot of Scrub QBs in the NFL, and there are mutliple teams that are in need of QB in first round.

If they want to wait to the second to see if Tebow is in the second round, thats the risk they take.

TheChamp24
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Bears
Lions
Chiefs
Bengals (behind Palmer)
Dolphins (cp is garbage)
Bills (JP lossman?)
Jacksonville (Garrard?)
49ers (?)

Did you bother to research before posting?
Bears don't need a QB, Kyle Orton is perfectly fine for them.
Bengals don't need a QB with Palmer, and you don't draft a QB high to be a fricken backup.
Dolphins, you say Pennington is garbage, is that why he has a 93.7 QB rating this year?
Bills, Trent Edwards was playing very well in his 2nd year before getting hurt. They don't need a QB
Jaguars do not need a QB, Garrard is still a decent QB and young.
Bucs, I think you finally found a team needing a QB.
Jets, possible, although they do have some young QB's on their roster in Clemens and Ainge.
Vikings, I think Jackson could be a decent QB if given time.
Rams, Bulger is still a decent QB. OL is awful there.
49ers could use help almost everywhere
Lions same
Chiefs, Thigpen just might turn out to be a decent QB.

With all that said, Stafford is still a better QB than Tebow. Stafford could play right now, Tebow is a developmental project.
Bradford isn't coming out either.

Jens1893
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Bengals don't need a QB with Palmer, and you don't draft a QB high to be a fricken backup.
Dolphins, you say Pennington is garbage, is that why he has a 93.7 QB rating this year?
Bills, Trent Edwards was playing very well in his 2nd year before getting hurt. They don't need a QB
Jets, possible, although they do have some young QB's on their roster in Clemens and Ainge.
Lions same

With all that said, Stafford is still a better QB than Tebow. Stafford could play right now, Tebow is a developmental project.

I believe thatīs wishful thinking on your part. The senior QB class is fairly weak and if Bradford comes out, heīs virtually guaranteed to be one of the top 2 QBs off the board (assuming Stafford declares) and is most likely going to be a top 5 pick. Bradford stands a great chance to win a Heisman trophy and a National Championship this season and I think 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen are seniors. If that isnīt good enough for you yet, bear in mind that the owners are just about ready to tear up the current CBA and I believe they will be hell bent on putting in a system similar to the NBAīs where the salaries for rookies are pre-structured and they canīt just negotiate their own contract anymore.

SouthStndJunkie
12-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I could see Tebow as a situational weapon at QB....but I could really see him playing as an H-back/TE in the NFL.

TheChamp24
12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I believe thatīs wishful thinking on your part. The senior QB class is fairly weak and if Bradford comes out, heīs virtually guaranteed to be one of the top 2 QBs off the board (assuming Stafford declares) and is most likely going to be a top 5 pick. Bradford stands a great chance to win a Heisman trophy and a National Championship this season and I think 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen are seniors. If that isnīt good enough for you yet, bear in mind that the owners are just about ready to tear up the current CBA and I believe they will be hell bent on putting in a system similar to the NBAīs where the salaries for rookies are pre-structured and they canīt just negotiate their own contract anymore.

Being in Norman and going to school at OU has its advantages. Apparently, Bradford wants to get a degree and graduate. His family is sort of pushing him to finish and get his degree.
Also, he may be losing his OL, but he is retaining Murray(most likely), Brown, Broyles, Tennell, Owens, he'll still have some playmakers on offense. Plus, with Stoops playing backups in the 4th, all of the OL replacements have seen playing time this year, so they will have experience.
And the defense will be a lot better IMO. Keep in mind every defensive starter will most likely come back except Nic Harris and Lendy Holmes. They get Ryan Reynolds back too.

Now, I think his decision will take awhile. It isn't a sure fire thing he will be coming out IMO. Personally, I think he is the best QB prospect in the draft this upcoming year and if he comes out, is at least a top 10 pick. Hard to turn down that money.

Jens1893
12-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Being in Norman and going to school at OU has its advantages. Apparently, Bradford wants to get a degree and graduate. His family is sort of pushing him to finish and get his degree.
Also, he may be losing his OL, but he is retaining Murray(most likely), Brown, Broyles, Tennell, Owens, he'll still have some playmakers on offense. Plus, with Stoops playing backups in the 4th, all of the OL replacements have seen playing time this year, so they will have experience.
And the defense will be a lot better IMO. Keep in mind every defensive starter will most likely come back except Nic Harris and Lendy Holmes. They get Ryan Reynolds back too.

Now, I think his decision will take awhile. It isn't a sure fire thing he will be coming out IMO. Personally, I think he is the best QB prospect in the draft this upcoming year and if he comes out, is at least a top 10 pick. Hard to turn down that money.

He can easily finish his degree in the offseason some time down the line. Plenty of players do it actually and unless I am mistaken the NFL actually pays for it also.

OU wonīt fall off the face earth and struggle to win 2 games next season, but the losses will leave a mark and you never know what Bradfordīs situation is going to be like in 12 months. Heīll be put under the microscope and the longer NFL scouts have a chance to watch a guy, the more flaws in his game they will find ... and trust me, they will find some flaws.

I believe the uncertainity about the future of the current CBA is whatīs gonna get quite a few guys to come out early.

epicSocialism4tw
12-15-2008, 09:19 AM
He can easily finish his degree in the offseason some time down the line. Plenty of players do it actually and unless I am mistaken the NFL actually pays for it also.

OU wonīt fall off the face earth and struggle to win 2 games next season, but the losses will leave a mark and you never know what Bradfordīs situation is going to be like in 12 months. Heīll be put under the microscope and the longer NFL scouts have a chance to watch a guy, the more flaws in his game they will find ... and trust me, they will find some flaws.

I believe the uncertainity about the future of the current CBA is whatīs gonna get quite a few guys to come out early.

Guys like Colt McCoy?

socalorado
12-15-2008, 09:44 AM

HUH. Your not the only one with the VY comparisons.

Mayock is to the draft what Ron Jaworski is to breaking down film, and there's nobody's even a close second. So when he shares his thoughts on Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, it's worth paying attention:
"In a nutshell, I thought Vince [Young] was a winner ... I thought he was the kind of kid who made the people around him better. But I wasn't sure he was ever going to be able to pass the ball from the pocket well enough to lead an NFL team to a Super Bowl. Right now, I wonder the same thing about Tebow. ...

I would struggle as an NFL general manager drafting either guy [Tebow or Young] .... That's me, though. Whether it's Tebow or Young, you've got to completely retailor your offense to take advantage of what they do best. And in the event of an injury, is the next guy the same kind of guy?"
The good news for Tebow is that he can't enter the draft until 2009, so he has plenty of time to bone up his quarterbackin' skills, or go ahead and put on that 60 pounds and make the natural transition to fullback (you know it's coming).

One NFL scout admitted that Tebow "made great strides ... as far as throwing the ball ... both mechanically and acurracywise." Still, the Heisman Trophy winner will need to continue to improve because there isn't much of a market for big quarterbacks who like to take on linebackers and safeties. Like I said, in the NFL they're called "fullbacks." Or if you play for the New York Giants, "Jared Lorenzen."

gyldenlove
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Lions same

The Bears are not going to win a division that features power house QBs such as Tavaris Jackson, who got benched for Gus Frerotte, Aaron Rodgers and Dan Orlovsky .. no Daunte Culpepper .. no Dan Orlovsky. They need a QB to be competitive, the expiry date on that defense is coming up fast and they are not going to win anything without someone who can take the pressure off Forte.

Carson Palmer, where to start. He is a turnover machine, since his very good year in 2005, he has had years of 28 TDs and 20 turnovers in 2006, 25 TDs and 21 turnovers in 2007 and 3 TDs and 4 turnovers this year. Despite having 2 perennial pro bowl recievers he has been on a steady decline since Kimo Von Oelhoffen blew out his knee. He ended up on IR this year and with Fitzpatrick throwing the ball they could do worse than to get someone who can take over.

Pennington may be playing well this year, but he is also the owner of an 3 time surgically repaired throwing shoulder. He is one stubborn can of Bud light away from being able to reach his left pants pocket with both hands and the right pants pocket with none of them.

This is the classic Buffalo gambit, we all remember a year ago when we started the season against Buffalo and some yahoo came over here and tried to teach us how JP Losman was so much better than Cutler, then yours truly looked at the numbers and prooved that Losman was in fact a loser, and lo and behold, Trent Edwards is putting up very JP Losmanish? Losmanesque? numbers. Plus if you saw his last 2 games, you will know he is very easy to rattle, once things go wrong he goes in the tank and starts dumping the ball off to Marshawn Lynch for 2 yards on every play - not the MO of a winner.

I will concede you can do worse than Garrard, you can also do a lot better than his 14 TDs and 13 turnovers, but at least he looks like he can play. Unfortunately in the AFC South you need more than that, but it is not going to be this year Del Rio owns up to his mistakes and gets rid of Garrard.

The Bucs always need QBs and will probably never draft one high, they probably should though.

The Jets will need someone bad. Erik Ainge may be the worst passer in the league, in fact I think Hackney or Brad Van Pelt may be better than he is. All that talent, and he never made anything out of it. Clemens is, probably not that good, they were going to go with Pennington until they got Favre, so they don't have a world of confidence in Clemens.

I am kind of struggling with Tavaris Jackson, on one hand he is clearly not a good QB, and on the other hand, he is clearly a very bad QB. The Vikings won't need a Tom Brady QB as long as their defense is in tact (which it will be for as long as Judge Minnesotason takes to make his mind up) and AP doesn't go down. Tavaris has had 3 years, he will enter his 4th year in the next season and unless he can lead the Vikings on an improbably playoff run, now would be a good time to replace him.

The Rams are difficult, Holt is still a playmaker, Donnie Avery could be good, Stephen Jackson should be good, but they are all being let down by either, poor QB play or a really bad offensive line. I tend to agree that it is the line, and as long as that line remains intact the Rams will lose a lot of football games.

I agree on 49ers and Lions.

Thigpen is going to be the next Huard. He will surprise as a backup potential free agent, but as soon as he inks that very average 3 year contract he will stink up the place like a rotting beached whale.

Rohirrim
12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Just on a personality level, Gruden would probably get along real well with Tebow.

Inkana7
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
He's a project, but he definitely has "it". When the chips are down, Tebow will rise to the occasion. His throwing motion can be refined, and it already has been. I think his arm's stronger than most give him credit for, and improved mechanics will only improve that.

I'm a big a skeptic on QBs as anyone, but I truly feel that Tebow can and will succeed in the NFL.

stugotsII
12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
He's a project, but he definitely has "it". When the chips are down, Tebow will rise to the occasion. His throwing motion can be refined, and it already has been. I think his arm's stronger than most give him credit for, and improved mechanics will only improve that.

I'm a big a skeptic on QBs as anyone, but I truly feel that Tebow can and will succeed in the NFL.

Your short description of Tebow is a lot like V. Youngs.

1. He's got "it"
2. He's a "winner"
3. Throwing motion is odd, but can be improved
4. Strong arm

It sounds just like Young.

Tebow WILL NOT succeed running an NFL offense. He won't succeed in the NFL bye throwing screen passes every down. Tebow isn't very accurate.

Inkana7
12-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Except Tebow is smarter than Young. Much smarter. And not as stubborn. Tebow knows he needs to refine his throwing motion. I don't think Young ever made an attempt to.

BroncoMan4ever
12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Your short description of Tebow is a lot like V. Youngs.

1. He's got "it"
2. He's a "winner"
3. Throwing motion is odd, but can be improved
4. Strong arm

It sounds just like Young.

Tebow WILL NOT succeed running an NFL offense. He won't succeed in the NFL bye throwing screen passes every down. Tebow isn't very accurate.

i am not a big Tebow supporter. I think in the NFL his style of play and skills make him a guy who should be an H-Back and not a QB.

however with the Young comparisons, I actually think Tebow is better. He has the winners mentality, wil do whatever it takes to win, and unlike Young he knows he needs to work on his mechanics to become a good QB. he seems like a guy who will be willing to do the work necessary to become good.
also, unlike Young, he is NOT stupid or mentally soft.

nadwiggins
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
broncos should pick him up in the 6th round and insurt the wildcat in there offense

gyldenlove
12-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Except Tebow is smarter than Young. Much smarter. And not as stubborn. Tebow knows he needs to refine his throwing motion. I don't think Young ever made an attempt to.

He may be smarter, but he is also a lot less athletic and doesn't have the same throwing power Young does.

The problem with Tebow is that in the NFL he will be a pocket passer or Jake Plummer style mobile passer, and his throwing motion just isn't there. I don't think he will succeed.

Gcver2ver3
07-22-2010, 01:01 PM
bump...

i saw this thread at the bottom of the Tebow/McCoy thread...

it was funny reading this from 08...

at the time of this thread none us would've ever thought that Tebow would be a Bronco...:rofl:

at a glance it looks like Rohirrim and Inkana7 were believers even back then...

listopencil
07-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Tebow WILL NOT succeed running an NFL offense. He won't succeed in the NFL by throwing screen passes every down. Tebow isn't very accurate.

Uh oh...

lex
07-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah, he runs way too physically for it to translate well to the NFL. Teams have to be scared about paying a QB first round money that plays that way. Im sure GMs worry that he's an injury waiting to happen. Plus, Florida is a program of great athletes, which means Tebow has relatively large passing windows. He also has good Olinemen. In the NFL, those passing windows shrink and he has less time to throw. And has been mentioned, he's isnt exactly the most polished passer. He is more or less some physically gifted good guy who isnt as polished as you want from a 1st round pick. Philanthropy is great but I wonder if his trips in the summer is taking away from his progress as a QB.

Ha. Well here we go. Hopefully his ability to run opens up passing windows. Hopefully, doing this as a job, will yield a lot of improvement in his play.

I want him to bring that physicality but he has to be careful and learn when to run. Still though, Id like to see him truck a few linebackers.

BroncoMan4ever
07-28-2010, 08:33 AM
He may be smarter, but he is also a lot less athletic and doesn't have the same throwing power Young does.

The problem with Tebow is that in the NFL he will be a pocket passer or Jake Plummer style mobile passer, and his throwing motion just isn't there. I don't think he will succeed.

too much is made out of throwing motion. look at Rivers, a top 5 QB in the NFL and the undoubted top dog in the AFC West and he has one of the strangest throwing motions of any NFL QB i have seen.

it doesn't matter how he gets the job done just that he does get the job done.

also, Tebow is just as athletic as Young and a hell of a lot stronger both physically and mentally. he is a guy who will do whatever it takes to succeed and will not allow himself to fail. in 5 years when the QB class of 2010 is looked at again, Tebow will have distinguished himself as the best of the bunch

Arkie
07-29-2010, 05:03 PM

McD may be the next legendary coach.

baja
08-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Bump for some interesting takes on Tebow from 08

Jay3
08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
One thing people missed from the very beginning about Tebow was a freakish accuracy on downfield passes, passes with some serious distance.

I think there's something genetic in a quarterback that makes him tend to hit receivers that way down there, and Tebow had it.

People were honestly seeing something quirky in his throwing (a friend of mine, not a hater, went to game and said when Tebow was warming up the trainer's throws looked better, then Tebow shredded the defense during the game).

But he had one of the highest completion percentages while throwing for one of the highest yards per attempt averages, with one of the highest third down conversion rates. In simple English, when the play and situation called for a 35+ yard completion, Tebow saw it, threw it, and completed it.

I think that's one of the reaons (one of many) that Josh McD once said Tebow had the things you couldn't teach, and most of the things people were complaining about could be taught or improved with practice.

Jay3
08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
And then in that first preseason game (I know, I shouldn't conclude too much from it), lo and behold if he didn't once again seem to be able to will the ball accurately down the field on long throws.

You've got the great throw at the Invesco intersquad scrimmage, the great throw that was his first long throw (dropped), and he completed two good looking longer throws late in the game (one of which was the rolling right throw).

It's too much to overlook as a serious reason he can be a great one. If he can pick that Rivers style of doing a quick fire on the 10 to 15 yard openings (Orton has gotten good at this, too), he will be lethal.

Throwing the bubble screen ugly is not going to stop anybody from making it.

peacepipe
08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
let's not get ahead of ourselves. wether you have doubts or are in complete belief that he's the 2nd comming of Elway.

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm proud of my consistency. ;D

Jay3
09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm proud of the consistency of my stool. ;D

Yes, it is very good.

epicSocialism4tw
01-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm proud of my consistency. ;D

Rohirrim, though often failing in political threads, thoroughly owned this one. Even got the Gruden bit in there.

Pack up your jocks, suckas. Put 'em in Rohirrim's bin by the door on your way out.

Rohirrim
01-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Rohirrim, though often failing in political threads, thoroughly owned this one. Even got the Gruden bit in there.

Pack up your jocks, suckas. Put 'em in Rohirrim's bin by the door on your way out.

I don't get it. How so?