PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a new DC?

INbronco
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Greg Robinson will be available at the end of the season, How many would be in favor of bringing him in next year? I Shanny scapegoats it could happen.

Popps
11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd be all for it, but it would mean another scheme change.... of course. If the D continues to show improvement, there's no way we'll make a move. But, if we crap-out like usual, do look for Shanahan to point the finger at someone and Slowik might be a deserving candidate.

DomCasual
11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Greg Robinson could break off 2K in our system.

Bronx33
11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Slowik is just a slow learner the minute he decides to not play 10 yard cushion on 3rd down everything will change!

PRBronco
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Slowik is just a slow learner the minute he decides to not play 10 yard cushion on 3rd down everything will change!

What about the "don't go around, go through, or wait for them to go away" pass rush scheme too?

Is Gregg Williams the guy that DC'd for the Skins a few years ago? I remember thinking he was awesome.

Bronx33
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
What about the "don't go around, go through, or wait for them to go away" pass rush scheme too?

Is Gregg Williams the guy that DC'd for the Skins a few years ago? I remember thinking he was awesome.

I could accept just getting beat on a pass but a free 1st down every play simply pisses me off atleast make em earn it!

oubronco
11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I've been thinking about this one and we had terrible special teams they brought in "whatever his name is" and they still were bad well look at them now after he's been here a few years! would having Slowick being the D-coach for a few years be the same way to go? I know I know he's sucked everywhere he's been but what do you think?

footstepsfrom#27
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
This is a rhetorical question right?

Broncos4tw
11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, I'm a firm believer in at least giving a new DC the chance to learn the system, the players, and get the players comfortable with the scheme, before I throw them under the bus. But that bus is looking inviting. I almost want to toss him there.

But yea, the 7 to 8 yard cushion on third down is insane. We need our guys to play more physical. He doesn't have guys going for the ball, doesn't hit going off the line, and is utterly non-aggresive. His 'nancy boy' D is going to lose more games than it wins.

Dudeskey
11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd rather see Marvin Lewis roaming our sidelines as a DC- he may become available

TheDave
11-18-2008, 09:48 PM
With all the injuries and a general lack of talent, Slowick is going to get another year.

Bronco Yoda
11-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I could accept just getting beat on a pass but a free 1st down every play simply pisses me off atleast make em earn it!

You and me both. How many times do we all scream at the tv "If you're going to let them score then be done with it!"

DHallblows
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I've been thinking about this one and we had terrible special teams they brought in "whatever his name is" and they still were bad well look at them now after he's been here a few years! would having Slowick being the D-coach for a few years be the same way to go? I know I know he's sucked everywhere he's been but what do you think?

I'd personally have to argue that Eddie Royal's presence is doing much more than the coach...

Sure-Oz
11-18-2008, 11:33 PM
LMAO, who the hell would want Greg Robinson, what a joke....

You guys can have Gunther while you're at it, i'd love for him to leave KC

You guys ever see the chiefs defense when they had that superb offense? I'd say no to greg

Dedhed
11-19-2008, 04:20 AM
I want the DC from the Florida Gators.

Atwater His Ass
11-19-2008, 05:06 AM

You mean the DC who won 2 Super Bowls with us? Yeah he really sucks huh?

Just a reminder of wiki for those of you guys with the short term memory thing:

The Broncos (1998) defense held the Miami Dolphins scoreless in the divisional playoffs, allowed only a touchdown as a result of a fumble on the one yard line against the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game, and then allowed a single touchdown to the Atlanta Falcons in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl after the outcome was secure.

Oh yeah, we also won a 14-10 divisional playoff game in 1997 on the road against KC.

Man he was just terrible here, you're right.

bowtown
11-19-2008, 05:14 AM

You guys can have Gunther while you're at it, i'd love for him to leave KC

You guys ever see the chiefs defense when they had that superb offense? I'd say no to greg

God as much as I hate to agree with you... I agree with you.

If you give Slowick a couple more years to mold this defense he's going to give us about the same results as we had under Robinson, an average defense that is good enough to win if you have a very high powered offense. If Robinson were here this year he would be getting the exact same results.

I vote to either give Slowick more time to try and institute what he wants to do or go out and get a really elite coordinator. Robinson is nowhere near that, and people are kidding themseles if they think he is.

bowtown
11-19-2008, 05:16 AM

The Broncos (1998) defense held the Miami Dolphins scoreless in the divisional playoffs, allowed only a touchdown as a result of a fumble on the one yard line against the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game, and then allowed a single touchdown to the Atlanta Falcons in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl after the outcome was secure.

Oh yeah, we also won a 14-10 divisional playoff game in 1997 on the road against KC.

Yeah and that had absoluely nothing to do with the players on our roster. Just say no to Robinson.

Atwater His Ass
11-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Yeah and that had absoluely nothing to do with the players on our roster. Just say no to Robinson.

I didn't say bring him in. But you cannot argue the guy had success while he was here.

But good to know it's ok to use that tired argument when it suits your case, but get all upset when people say the same thing about Elway, Davis, Zimmerman, Sharpe, etc. and Shanahan.

Traveler
11-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Keep Slowik, fire the DL coaches.

bowtown
11-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I didn't say bring him in. But you cannot argue the guy had success while he was here.

But good to know it's ok to use that tired argument when it suits your case, but get all upset when people say the same thing about Elway, Davis, Zimmerman, Sharpe, etc. and Shanahan.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Robinson was also the GM and headcoach while he was here. ::)

cutthemdown
11-19-2008, 05:48 AM
You gotta give Slowik at least 2 yrs IMO. If Broncos add some good defensive players and they don't get better, then maybe blame the coach.

chrisp
11-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Robinson ran a decent defense when he had Neil Smith, Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith in their prime. As soon as those guys moved on or retired the defense became almost as bad as it is now. Not that I was in favour of his firing, just that he isn't any better at making a silk purse out of a sow's ear than Slowik is

So overall I say give slowik another draft and offseason and if the 2009 defense sucks as bad as this one can him at the end of the season and start again.

Coming off a solid defensive performance against a decent team with a decent offense, on the road, with several starters including two of our best defensive players (DJ and Champ) out with injury, I'd say now is not the time to talk about throwing anyone under the bus. Rather its time to get some oxygen to the green shoots of recovery and hope they can grow......

Broncomutt
11-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Shanny is to defensive coordinators, what Al Davis is to head coaches.

Ironic when you think about it.

jmz313
11-19-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm of the belief that the D improvment we've seen over the last 3 weeks is more: hungry(/unrealized talent) back up players and better practice theory then Coaching from Slowik. It appears to me players (mostly LBs) are playing more instinctive then earlier in the season and winning more 1 on 1 battles.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Greg Robinson will be available at the end of the season, How many would be in favor of bringing him in next year? I Shanny scapegoats it could happen.

Hell no on Robinson. Even if Shanny dumps Slowick, GR is not the anwser. If I was Shanny, I'd hire that defensive coordinator from the university of Tejas.

socalorado
11-19-2008, 06:59 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ver12boldwhite align=left>Raheem Morris
Defensive Backs Coach
NFL Experience: 6Years with Buccaneers: 6</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ver12white align=left><TABLE height=207 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=173 align=right background=/media/graphics/headshots/headshot_background.jpg><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>http://www.buccaneers.com/media/graphics/headshots/Raheem_Morris.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Raheem Morris enters his second season as the Buccaneers defensive backs coach in 2008. Morris is currently in his second stint with Tampa Bay, having also served on the Buccaneers defensive coaching staff from 2002-2005. In between stints in Tampa Bay, he spent 2006 as Kansas State’s defensive coordinator. Morris has quickly risen through the Buccaneers coaching ranks during his time with the team, serving as defensive quality control coach in 2002, defensive assistant in 2003 and assistant defensive backs coach from 2004-2005 before taking over as defensive backs coach in 2007.
During his first stint with the club, Morris worked closely with former Bucs defensive backs coach and current Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin in the development of one of the NFL’s top secondaries.
After Tampa Bay fell to 19th in the NFL in pass defense in 2006, Morris led a resurgence in his return last season as he guided the Buccaneers pass defense to the league’s top ranking en route to the NFC South division title. The Buccaneers secondary helped limit opposing quarterbacks to a 76.2 rating in 2007 to rank eighth in the NFL after ranking 29th in 2006. Under his direction, five different players in the secondary intercepted a pass in 2007 and S Jermaine Phillips had a Pro Bowl-caliber season, leading the team with a career-high four interceptions and ranking tied for third with 120 tackles. S Tanard Jackson made a seamless transition to safety from cornerback and had one of the most impressive rookie campaigns in team history as he became the first rookie on defense to start on opening day for the Buccaneers since 1996. Jackson was also the first Buccaneers rookie on defense since 1996 (Regan Upshaw) to start all 16 games. For the fifth time in his career, and third time under Morris, perennial Pro Bowl CB Ronde Barber recorded a statistic in every defensive category in 2007. After taking over as a full time starter in Week 4, CB Phillip Buchanon ranked second on the team with three interceptions while recording a career-high 63 tackles in his first season with Morris.
In his lone season with Kansas State in 2006, Morris coordinated a defense that displayed improvement in several statistical categories from the previous season, including total defense, scoring defense and pass defense. Morris oversaw a Kansas State defense that included seven players who received conference recognition, including two first-team All-Big 12 honorees and one second-team selection.
During his five seasons in Tampa Bay, the Bucs have finished ranked in the top five in the NFL in total defense every year, including No. 1 rankings in 2002 and 2005. Additionally, the defense finished as the top-ranked pass defense on three occasions (2002, 2004 and 2007) and never ranked lower than sixth with Morris on the staff. Morris’s impact may have been most felt by opposing quarterbacks as five of the Top 10 seasons in club history in lowest opponent quarterback rating have come with Morris in Tampa Bay.
In 2002, his first season as a coach in the NFL, Morris helped guide the Buccaneers top-ranked defense as they captured the franchise’s first world title in Super Bowl XXXVII.
Morris joined Tampa Bay after spending the 2000 and 2001 seasons as defensive backs coach at Hofstra University. He also spent time in the fall of 2001 with the New York Jets serving a defensive minority internship.
Morris began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Hofstra in 1998, where he was responsible for coaching the offensive scout team, developing scouting reports and handling video breakdown and computer input and analysis. He then landed at Cornell University as defensive backs coach and special teams assistant for the 1999 season.
Morris played collegiately as a safety at Hofstra from 1994-1997, and received his bachelor of science degree in physical education. He hails from Irvington, New Jersey. MORRIS AT A GLANCE
1994-97…Hofstra, player
1998…Hofstra, Graduate Assistant
1999…Cornell, Defensive Backs Coach/Special Teams Assistant
2000-01…Hofstra, Defensive Backs Coach
2001…New York Jets, Defensive Minority Internship
2002…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Quality Control Coach
2003…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Assistant
2004-05…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Assistant Defensive Backs Coach
2006…Kansas State, Defensive Coordinator
2007…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Backs Coach</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

cmhargrove
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM
While we're throwin crap out there, Rod Marinelli will be looking for a job after this season. I thought he was pretty good until he made the jump to Detroit.

Beantown Bronco
11-19-2008, 07:29 AM
I've been thinking about this one and we had terrible special teams they brought in "whatever his name is" and they still were bad well look at them now after he's been here a few years!

PRIME example of good players making coaches look good.

O'Brien has awesome resume.
Comes here to improve sucky special teams.
Inherits sucky players.
Unit continues to suck.
Team brings in talented special teams players in Prater, Kern, Niko, Larsen and Royal, among others.
Unit finally gets its sh*t together and performs well on the field, doing nothing noticeably different scheme-wise.

No coach can take a bunch of scrubs and make them into a top unit IMO. Improve the talent on the defensive side of the ball like they did on special teams and things will get better. A coach can only do so much.....

Sure-Oz
11-19-2008, 01:27 PM

I'm all for it if Denver brings him back....he's awesome let me tell ya!!! I wish you were the GM for the Broncos...most Denver fans i'd assume would NOT want him back.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm all for it if Denver brings him back....he's awesome let me tell ya!!! I wish you were the GM for the Broncos...most Denver fans i'd assume would NOT want him back.

Correct. I don't want him back.

As another poster so nicely pointed out in an above post, a coach is only as good as his players (see O'Brien on STs).

Greg Robinson had A HELLAVALOT more talent to work with when the Broncos were winning superbowls. Lot's more talent.

Let me say that again for anyone who just doesn't "get it." Greg Robinson had a very talented defense to work with when the Broncos were winning superbowls because Mike Shanahan went out and got alot of talented FAs to come in and play.

Even so, Shanahan still fired Robinson after he the 2001 season (I think it was 2001, maybe it was 2002) because the defense was not good.

WolfpackGuy
11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Robinson was gone after that debacle in 2000. They couldn't stop anybody!

isiddiqi
11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
I started the year thinking we need a change at DC, but now after seeing week to week improvement, I say we live with what we've got. The Players are getting a better feel for themselves and the system, and it would be a huge reset for this team if we do that. I say now we stick with Slowik and add the missing pieces next season. No more coaching changes. How many of you came into this season thinking we will be winning a SB this year? I consider anything after a Playoff berth a bonus this year, and a huge step forward for our beloved Broncos...

Bob's your Information Minister
11-19-2008, 03:21 PM
A new head coach might solve more problems.

To answer your original post, does a bear **** in the woods?

socalorado
11-19-2008, 03:24 PM

HEY! look who's back from the "brody cry-le blood drive"!!!

isiddiqi
11-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Like it did for the Chiefs? If Herm had not found Thigpen by coincidence, the Chiefs fans would not have had much to look forward to next season. Now there is some hope, otherwise it was Croyle or Huard, who to go with next week.

NASurfer
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
You gotta give Slowik at least 2 yrs IMO. If Broncos add some good defensive players and they don't get better, then maybe blame the coach.
With all due respect, you also run the risk of wasting that extra year when we could be finding a real coordinator next offseason.

Slowik has been a failure everywhere he's been as a defensive coordinator, what has he shown to make people think otherwise?

I'm aware of the talent vs scheme debate, but c'mon... this is NOT the 29th ranked defense in terms of talent.

I think he's got till the end of this year, let's see how this team responds to the guy during this stretch run. If they show some real legit signs of improvement (they showed some last week), then bring him back.

isiddiqi
11-19-2008, 04:00 PM
With all due respect, you also run the risk of wasting that extra year when we could be finding a real coordinator next offseason.

Slowik has been a failure everywhere he's been as a defensive coordinator, what has he shown to make people think otherwise?

I'm aware of the talent vs scheme debate, but c'mon... this is NOT the 29th ranked defense in terms of talent.

I think he's got till the end of this year, let's see how this team responds to the guy during this stretch run. If they show some real legit signs of improvement (they showed some last week), then bring him back.

I still think the problem was scheme in the early part of the season, but later it was all on the players and their tackling. Look what it did to our tackling after we changed the way we prepare for a game. Even in the NE game I recall our players were always in the right spot but always over pursuing...

You can't just look at the overall improvement without looking at the scenarios the O had but the D in a couple of past games. Our D is not good but its showing improvement week to week.

Sure-Oz
11-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Like it did for the Chiefs? If Herm had not found Thigpen by coincidence, the Chiefs fans would not have had much to look forward to next season. Now there is some hope, otherwise it was Croyle or Huard, who to go with next week.

Herm was dog**** before he came to us, i want him gone, but i bet he has 1 more year.

Thigpen was pure luck because the other QB's were pussies...he would've never made the field if it wasn't for that. Our OC has been great making an offense that suits his strengths.

listopencil
11-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Greg Robinson is a huge turd. I can smell his stench, like an unwiped bit of fecal matter on the ass of this organization, even though I can only watch them play on TV.

Rock Chalk
11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
With all the injuries and a general lack of talent, Slowick is going to get another year.

Id say he deserves another year.

We started off bad and we are by no means good but there has been signs of improvement even WITH the multiple injuries to the defense. I mean, we've basically won two games on the road in a row with backup linebackers...all of them, our two best defenders out of the mix, and while we have given up yards I think there are definate signs that things are getting better.

Someone said if Slowik ever learns to play press man consistently with only occassionally going to zone when it merits it, then I think we should be in decent shape next year.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Ultimately, Shanny has to stick with one defensive coordinator and as of now, it might as well be Slowick.

Coaches do learn, and they do get better. Perhaps it's Slowick's time? Look at guy like Belichick to see a coach who, for a long time, was thought of as a bad head coach. Now, he's an all star because of Tom Brady.

Give Slowick the chance to develop some of this young talent. See if he can really mold a defense. If the players are good, perhaps it's Slowicks best chance to prove to the world, he's got what it takes to be a good NFL coach.

~Crash~
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM

My problem with Slowik is he might be to smart .his schemes seem to have the vets lost as much as the new guys . I would like him to stay with the broncos as the Cb's coach but I would like one of the guys like a LB'ers Coach to get a chance ... My big peeve with slowik is he really does not have a Blitz package !

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
There is only one coach I want to coach the D. And I'll give you a clue. He has turned talentless scrubs into top 5 defenses before.

Paladin
11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Snottenheimer

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-19-2008, 11:04 PM

Like you have the right coach. I mean look at your team and coach. You are in year 2 of a rebuild and you are 1-9. Now most times by year 2 your team should be at least showing signs of improvment. Instead your team is slideing back. Look at our team. We are in year 3 and we are right on schedule contending for the playoffs and building toward a SB.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Snottenheimer

Close, but he would build a D in 3-4 years. I'm thinking about a guy that could do it in a 1-2 years.

ZONA
11-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I can't even believe there are folks here talking about bringing GR back. Hell no with a capital HELL NO. The superbowl years were nice but mostly thanks to great players on defense and an offense that chewed clock like it was going out of style.

If Lewis is available, you have to make an effort to get him, PERIOD. If you can't land a big name like that, you got to stick with Slowick for another year. I don't think it improves our team just to switch to some average DC just to change for the sake of it.

Wes Mantooth
11-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I agree with Tombstone. Robinson's crazy schemes were designed to tailor to squads with talent. We have a few home run guys, but our squads of recent years are really good guys mixed in with average or below average talent.

Maybe if we had a D lineman just past his prime, but still very flashy for 2/3rds of a game would it make sense to bring in Robinson.

Correct. I don't want him back.

As another poster so nicely pointed out in an above post, a coach is only as good as his players (see O'Brien on STs).

Greg Robinson had A HELLAVALOT more talent to work with when the Broncos were winning superbowls. Lot's more talent.

Let me say that again for anyone who just doesn't "get it." Greg Robinson had a very talented defense to work with when the Broncos were winning superbowls because Mike Shanahan went out and got alot of talented FAs to come in and play.

Even so, Shanahan still fired Robinson after he the 2001 season (I think it was 2001, maybe it was 2002) because the defense was not good.

TonyR
11-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Shanahan would NEVER bring Robinson back so this topic is not worth discussing.

bpc
11-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Get rid of Slowik.

bpc
11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Can we get a different mindset in Denver? We've got some YOUNG, HUNGRY guys in the game now, can we get a coach who feels the same way?

I can't stand passive defensive coordinators. Get aggressive, move our guys up on WR's and punch them in the mouth. We need to unify this group.

Next season:

Make a run at Haynesworth. If we don't get him, whatever. Next best option is Babinoux from Atlanta. Nasty bastard plays with a F'd up disposition.

DE: Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil
DT: Thomas, Roberson, Powell
DT: Babineux (FA), Peterson, Jarron Gilbert (Rook-IR)
DE: Ebeeneezer, Crowder, Mitch King (Rook)
SAM: Wesley Woodyard, Boss **cough, cough, I'm HURT!**, Jamie Winborn
Mike: Spencer Larsen, Nate Webster, Jason Phillips (Rook)
Will: DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Jamie Winborn
CB: Champ Bailey, Karl Paymah
CB: Dre Bly, Jack Williams, Josh Bell
FS: Calvin Lowry, Roderick Rogers
SS: William Moore, "Anybody with a pulse is better than who we currently have here"

CUT: Niko, Green, Haggans, Clemons, Shaw, Engelberger

Circle Orange
11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I say one more year under the current regime...provided Shanny doesn't botch defensive draft picks. They've gone too far with the speed/athleticism style. That works best when you've got chunkies up front.

Kaylore
11-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Slowik runs an incredibly QB friendly defense. In a pass-happy league that's only going to throw more and more this is a recipe for disaster. His defenses are notorious for low turnovers and giving up huge amounts of yardage in the passing game. Most of all, he is obsessed with playing off the receivers ten yards - even on third and five. I am so sick of seeing that. We supposedly have these great corners and yet we don't challenge the receivers at the line. That's unbelievably stupid.

We need a hard nosed coach that runs a defense that's core is getting guys to do their job, run fundamentals and play hard for him. Not one that's based on being "tricksy hobitses" and doing so much that no one knows what their doing.

Does he have the two worst starting safeties in the league? Yes. Does he need help on the front seven? Yes (but not as much as you think). However even with these things I have serious doubts you'd see this defense play much better under the current scheme. Slowik needs to go. He's failed everywhere he's been and this is no different. I know the players like him, but I would almost prefer a defense coach that they kind of resent because he rides their ass everyday and gets them to play hard than a "buddy" whose defense is toward the bottom of the league in every category.

theAPAOps5
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
This is a job for Walker, Texas Ranger.

footstepsfrom#27
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Slow-whit somehow missed one of the basic axioms of defense; if you're short on talent play nastier than the other guy is willing to and you have a chance.

Dump his sorry arse now. If you knew you'd missed the exit 60 miles back would you drive another 40 to see if things got better?

Gimme Joel Collier...he's got Bellicheat and his old man's playbook in his hip pocket and Colorado roots.

socalorado
11-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Can we get a different mindset in Denver? We've got some YOUNG, HUNGRY guys in the game now, can we get a coach who feels the same way?

I can't stand passive defensive coordinators. Get aggressive, move our guys up on WR's and punch them in the mouth. We need to unify this group.

Next season:

Make a run at Haynesworth. If we don't get him, whatever. Next best option is Babinoux from Atlanta. Nasty bastard plays with a F'd up disposition.

DE: Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil
DT: Thomas, Roberson, Powell
DT: Babineux (FA), Peterson, Jarron Gilbert (Rook-IR)
DE: Ebeeneezer, Crowder, Mitch King (Rook)
SAM: Wesley Woodyard, Boss **cough, cough, I'm HURT!**, Jamie Winborn
Mike: Spencer Larsen, Nate Webster, Jason Phillips (Rook)
Will: DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Jamie Winborn
CB: Champ Bailey, Karl Paymah
CB: Dre Bly, Jack Williams, Josh Bell
FS: Calvin Lowry, Roderick Rogers
SS: William Moore, "Anybody with a pulse is better than who we currently have here"

CUT: Niko, Green, Haggans, Clemons, Shaw, Engelberger

read

Raheem Morris
Defensive Backs Coach
NFL Experience: 6Years with Buccaneers: 6

Raheem Morris enters his second season as the Buccaneers defensive backs coach in 2008. Morris is currently in his second stint with Tampa Bay, having also served on the Buccaneers defensive coaching staff from 2002-2005. In between stints in Tampa Bay, he spent 2006 as Kansas State’s defensive coordinator. Morris has quickly risen through the Buccaneers coaching ranks during his time with the team, serving as defensive quality control coach in 2002, defensive assistant in 2003 and assistant defensive backs coach from 2004-2005 before taking over as defensive backs coach in 2007.
During his first stint with the club, Morris worked closely with former Bucs defensive backs coach and current Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin in the development of one of the NFL’s top secondaries.
After Tampa Bay fell to 19th in the NFL in pass defense in 2006, Morris led a resurgence in his return last season as he guided the Buccaneers pass defense to the league’s top ranking en route to the NFC South division title. The Buccaneers secondary helped limit opposing quarterbacks to a 76.2 rating in 2007 to rank eighth in the NFL after ranking 29th in 2006. Under his direction, five different players in the secondary intercepted a pass in 2007 and S Jermaine Phillips had a Pro Bowl-caliber season, leading the team with a career-high four interceptions and ranking tied for third with 120 tackles. S Tanard Jackson made a seamless transition to safety from cornerback and had one of the most impressive rookie campaigns in team history as he became the first rookie on defense to start on opening day for the Buccaneers since 1996. Jackson was also the first Buccaneers rookie on defense since 1996 (Regan Upshaw) to start all 16 games. For the fifth time in his career, and third time under Morris, perennial Pro Bowl CB Ronde Barber recorded a statistic in every defensive category in 2007. After taking over as a full time starter in Week 4, CB Phillip Buchanon ranked second on the team with three interceptions while recording a career-high 63 tackles in his first season with Morris.
In his lone season with Kansas State in 2006, Morris coordinated a defense that displayed improvement in several statistical categories from the previous season, including total defense, scoring defense and pass defense. Morris oversaw a Kansas State defense that included seven players who received conference recognition, including two first-team All-Big 12 honorees and one second-team selection.
During his five seasons in Tampa Bay, the Bucs have finished ranked in the top five in the NFL in total defense every year, including No. 1 rankings in 2002 and 2005. Additionally, the defense finished as the top-ranked pass defense on three occasions (2002, 2004 and 2007) and never ranked lower than sixth with Morris on the staff. Morris’s impact may have been most felt by opposing quarterbacks as five of the Top 10 seasons in club history in lowest opponent quarterback rating have come with Morris in Tampa Bay.
In 2002, his first season as a coach in the NFL, Morris helped guide the Buccaneers top-ranked defense as they captured the franchise’s first world title in Super Bowl XXXVII.
Morris joined Tampa Bay after spending the 2000 and 2001 seasons as defensive backs coach at Hofstra University. He also spent time in the fall of 2001 with the New York Jets serving a defensive minority internship.
Morris began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Hofstra in 1998, where he was responsible for coaching the offensive scout team, developing scouting reports and handling video breakdown and computer input and analysis. He then landed at Cornell University as defensive backs coach and special teams assistant for the 1999 season.
Morris played collegiately as a safety at Hofstra from 1994-1997, and received his bachelor of science degree in physical education. He hails from Irvington, New Jersey. MORRIS AT A GLANCE

1994-97…Hofstra, player
1998…Hofstra, Graduate Assistant
1999…Cornell, Defensive Backs Coach/Special Teams Assistant
2000-01…Hofstra, Defensive Backs Coach
2001…New York Jets, Defensive Minority Internship
2002…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Quality Control Coach
2003…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Assistant
2004-05…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Assistant Defensive Backs Coach
2006…Kansas State, Defensive Coordinator
2007…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Backs Coach

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
read

Raheem Morris
Defensive Backs Coach
NFL Experience: 6Years with Buccaneers: 6

Slowick has just as glowing a resume as a DB coach.

Br0nc0Buster
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
This playing off the receiver thing is beyond ridiculous now.

It was like 3rd and 3 in the Atlanta game and I remember a guy moved out in the slot. Well whoever picked him up was like 10 yards off. So Ryan just hiked it and threw it quickly to the slot guy who was WIDE open because we were playing 10 yards off on a 3rd and 3.

Slowick is a dumbass. He should be gone after this year.

socalorado
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Slowick has just as glowing a resume as a DB coach.

Slow-ick inherits teams with great players already there, then scews them.
Morris develops 4th round CBs like Tanard Jackson into pro bowl, defensive rookie of the year type of players.
Slow-icks a leech

socalorado
11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
The Morris Touch

<!-- featurephoto -->http://snap2.tbo.com/images/100038/photos/2008/08/13/gallery/2032294.jpg Tribune photo by JAY CONNER

Bucs Defensive Back Coach Raheem Morris during Tampa Bay Buccaneers Training Camp at the Wide World of Sports at Disney.
<!-- /YAHOO POSITION2 AD POSITION -->

By IRA KAUFMAN (ikaufman@tampatrib.com) | The Tampa Tribune
Published: August 14, 2008
Related Links

Assistants come and go at One Buc Place, so Ronde Barber (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/ronde-barber/) is cherishing every last moment with Raheem Morris.
Tampa Bay's dynamic secondary coach (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/secondary-coach/) is considered a short-timer, no longer a secret in NFL coaching (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/nfl-coaching/) circles.
His return to the Bucs in 2007 helped Monte Kiffin's unit regain its typical stature among the league's elite defenses and Morris, who turns 32 in three weeks, appears to be on the same career track (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/career-track/) as his mentor, former Tampa secondary coach (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/secondary-coach/) Mike Tomlin.
"Does Raheem get too much credit? Probably not enough," said Barber, the veteran cornerback (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/veteran-cornerback/) who welcomed Morris back after his one-year departure to Kansas State. "You can't help but think he won't be here for long. He's on the same path as a Mike Tomlin. He's not a guy who's going to stick around and wallow in the same job for a long time."
Well before you even meet him, you can hear Raheem Morris (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/raheem-morris/) on the practice field.
"His passion for the game is what makes him a special coach," Bucs general manager Bruce Allen (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/bruce-allen/) said.
A former defensive back at Hofstra, Morris boasts the energy level of Chris Rock and the charisma of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
"It's the ability to communicate," Bucs assistant head coach (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/assistant-head-coach/) Larry Coyer (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/larry-coyer/) said. "Raheem has it and you can't learn it. Good or bad, he talks to the players in a positive way. You can't fake it - he is what he is. I'd say he has an unlimited future in this league."
With the Bucs on their way to an NFC South (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/nfc-south/) title in the fall of 2005, Morris didn't know for certain that Tomlin would be leaving the organization. So when Kansas State expressed interest in naming Morris defensive coordinator, Tomlin's key assistant finished out the season in Tampa and decided to leave for Manhattan, Kan.
Tomlin would soon be named defensive coordinator (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/defensive-coordinator/) of the Vikings, but Morris kept his word and joined the Wildcat staff. Defensive line coach (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/defensive-line-coach/) Rod Marinelli also moved on and Tampa Bay's defense promptly plunged from first to 17th.
"I really had no intentions of being back to Tampa this fast," said Morris, who began receiving feelers from Kiffin after his first season with the Wildcats. "It was tough leaving K-State but I have to be honest - I love the NFL. I don't think I'd ever turn down an opportunity to work with Coach Kiffin."
When Morris returned to the Bucs in 2007, this time as defensive backs coach, he was greeted by a new facility and the news that another former partner on the staff, linebackers coach Joe Barry, had been hired by Marinelli as Detroit's defensive coordinator.
"I get excited for all these guys when they get opportunities," said Kiffin, who signed a multiyear deal in January to remain with the Bucs for a 13th season. "I've been around a lot of young coaches and you can tell the ones that won't be around for long, like Raheem."
Whether he's draping an arm around safety Jermaine Phillips or frantically waving to cornerback Phillip Buchanon that he's up next in the practice rotation, Morris never stops moving.
His move back to the NFL from Kansas State was hardly smooth, with the school suing Morris for breach of contract.
Tampa Bay's defensive backs probably would take up a collection to pay for any potential damages, but Morris said the issue with K-State has been resolved.
"Everyone learns in different ways and Raheem knows how to cater to you," said Phillips, a six-year veteran who enjoyed a revival in 2007 under the Morris touch. "With a lot of coaches, it's my way or it's the highway. Raheem gets to you the way you need to be gotten to."
Retired cornerback Everson Walls, who led the NFL three times in interceptions with the Cowboys, attended a Bucs practice and came away raving about Morris.
"With basically the same personnel, all of a sudden the Buc secondary was back at the top last year," Walls said. "They were right where they left off when Raheem left town. His energy and attention to detail are amazing and he does it with emphasis, without disrespecting players."
As Morris enters the final year of his contract, the Bucs are motivated to retain his services.
Morris may be destined to join Marinelli, Tomlin, Barry, Herm Edwards and Lovie Smith as The Man Who Got Away, but any NFL team in need of a defensive coordinator (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/defensive-coordinator/) undoubtedly has him on speed dial.
"Right now, I'm Monte's secondary coach (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/secondary-coach/) and I'm having a blast," Morris said. "I can't complain about anything. I would never want to be the guy that people thought was trying to push Monte out. He's going to go whenever he's ready to go."
Kiffin, 68, says he doesn't "even know how to spell the word retire."
If Morris leaves after the season for an opportunity elsewhere, Kiffin will understand.
"I don't know exactly why Raheem left, but it's probably a good thing that he left to be out on his own, making it his own way,"Barber said. "Now that he's back, it's just a matter of time before his name gets called. He'll go somewhere else and prove himself all over again on another level. Raheem Morris (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/raheem-morris/) is really that good."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/14/sp-the-morris-touch/sports/
<!-- topics -->

The Joker
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I can see the logic in playing so soft a lot of the time. Our safeties are pathetic, if we play press coverage and our corners get beat deep then it's pretty much a certain big gain, as the odds of one of our safeties bailing out the CB and making a play are incredibly minimal.

So you play off and try and limit the damage, give your D more chances to make the stop. I understand and agree with it to some extent, to be honest.

But doing it on 3rd and short, just giving them easy first downs, is what absolutely kills me. It makes no sense.

Play the corners tight, make the opposition actually work for their first down. You still run the risk of getting beat deep, but at least if that happens you know the QB has to still make the throw or else he's coming off the field for a punt. Put pressure on, make the guy beat you. Lot easier to take those shots downfield on 1st and 2nd down, knowing you have another shot at it if you overthrow the receiver.

Not on 3rd though. That's when the QB is primarily looking to just find a throw that'll move the chains. Stop just ****ing giving it to them and I think we'd see real improvement.

As for Slowik, the D has been steadily improving as the year has gone on. The talent level just isn't there for them to be in any way good, but their showing signs of potentially being average.

As long as they don't waste away back to where they were, then I say keep Slowik and let him have another year. Try and make a big FA signing on D and dedicate most of our draft efforts to getting better there too.

Some continuity would be nice to see, even if I have doubts about his ability.

Lolad
11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
If we can't grab an elite DC there is no need for a change. Let me be clear we do need a new DC but not at the expense of getting the same. I definitely feel like we should get a new DLine coach for sure

Merlin
11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I realize this is an extremely unpopular stance, but I would like to see how he finishes the season. He has been getting better as the season progresses, and has actually had better results with lesser talent. If he continues to improve (play more of a pressure D and bump coverage), then I would not be surprised if the D looks really decent by the end of the season. The first stop was addressing the rush and he is finally doing a good job on that. He knows how to coach DBs (he was excellent when coaching Denver's DBs), and he might be able to finish righting this ship before the end of the season.

What I would like him to do substantially better (besides press coverage) is disguise his blitzes better and do them more often (which will also force him to use more press coverage, win-win).

oubronco
11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Close, but he would build a D in 3-4 years. I'm thinking about a guy that could do it in a 1-2 years.

so who the **** is it?

ZONA
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Not one that's based on being "tricksy hobitses" and doing so much that no one knows what their doing.

Too funny. Smeagle just might be smarter then Slowik.

ANIMAL24
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
coyer

Circle Orange
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
This playing off the receiver thing is beyond ridiculous now.

It was like 3rd and 3 in the Atlanta game and I remember a guy moved out in the slot. Well whoever picked him up was like 10 yards off. So Ryan just hiked it and threw it quickly to the slot guy who was WIDE open because we were playing 10 yards off on a 3rd and 3.

Slowick is a dumbass. He should be gone after this year.

The dbs just want to make sure no one gets behind them. ;D

Dedhed
11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm starting the official campaign for this guy
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&staff=strong

I think he's got the goods, and is used to coaching a speed oriented defense. I think we need to bring in entirely new blood.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-20-2008, 04:51 PM
so who the **** is it?

its wade phillips. think about it. if you exclude his years as a head coach and just look at his years as a DC he turns D's around. also look at the places that he has gone. when he was with the bills name me 3 big names on that D. before he got marriman and castillo in san digeo who did he have to make them a good D? now these were not the most feared D's in the NFL at the time. but he did turn bottom 1/3 D's into at least middle 1/3 D's and improving.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
here's some stuff on Wade:

San Diego 2006: http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/statistics?season=2006&team=SD&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Chargers Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 321 285
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 137 - 169 - 15 87 - 178 - 20
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 92/213 78/213
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 6/11 6/17
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5840 4825
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1016 - 5.7 985 - 4.9
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2578 1613
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 522 - 4.9 386 - 4.2
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3262 3212
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 287 - 466 - 9 - 7.3 307 - 538 - 16 - 6.6
SACKS 61 28
FIELD GOALS 26/29 23/26
TOUCHDOWNS 59 33
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 32 - 24 - 0 - 3 13 - 19 - 0 - 1
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:38 28:21
TURNOVER RATIO +13
2005:http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/statistics?season=2005&team=SD&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Chargers Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 337 306
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 116 - 191 - 30 90 - 189 - 27
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 88/208 79/212
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 11/17 10/20
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5567 4948
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1022 - 5.4 999 - 5.0
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2072 1349
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 465 - 4.5 386 - 3.5
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3495 3599
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 338 - 526 - 16 - 7.1 338 - 567 - 10 - 6.9
SACKS 46 31
FIELD GOALS 21/24 20/29
TOUCHDOWNS 51 36
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 22 - 27 - 0 - 2 14 - 20 - 0 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:34 28:27
TURNOVER RATIO -8
2005: http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/statistics?season=2004&team=SD&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Chargers Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 328 320
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 131 - 160 - 37 79 - 200 - 41
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 97/208 69/196
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 5/8 13/24
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5542 5360
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 996 - 5.6 991 - 5.4
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2185 1307
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 525 - 4.2 355 - 3.7
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3357 4053
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 288 - 450 - 8 - 7.8 372 - 607 - 23 - 6.9
SACKS 29 21
FIELD GOALS 20/25 20/27
TOUCHDOWNS 55 36
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 24 - 29 - 1 - 1 15 - 19 - 2 - 0
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:35 28:35
TURNOVER RATIO +15
Atl Falcons 2003:http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/statistics?season=2003&team=ATL&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Falcons Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 252 333
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 99 - 127 - 26 122 - 187 - 24
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 58/194 86/216
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 6/11 5/14
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 4357 6108
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 930 - 4.7 1043 - 5.9
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1949 2308
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 435 - 4.5 499 - 4.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 2408 3800
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 230 - 460 - 21 - 5.7 323 - 508 - 15 - 7.9
SACKS 36 35
FIELD GOALS 19/27 19/25
TOUCHDOWNS 35 51
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 17 - 14 - 1 - 3 21 - 28 - 1 - 1
TIME OF POSSESSION 27:47 32:33
TURNOVER RATIO 0
2002:http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/statistics?season=2002&team=ATL&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Falcons Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 316 288
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 123 - 163 - 30 97 - 171 - 20
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 90/215 85/214
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 6/10 9/21
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5535 5334
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1038 - 5.3 1002 - 5.3
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2368 2047
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 523 - 4.5 441 - 4.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3167 3287
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 268 - 479 - 12 - 7.1 285 - 514 - 24 - 7.0
SACKS 47 36
FIELD GOALS 32/40 18/24
TOUCHDOWNS 44 37
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 23 - 18 - 1 - 2 12 - 23 - 0 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 33:17 29:03
TURNOVER RATIO +12
Buffalo Bills 1997: http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/statistics?season=1997&team=BUF&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Bills Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 268 265
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 98 - 144 - 26 85 - 160 - 20
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 53/212 85/240
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 11/29 7/16
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 4657 4853
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1014 - 4.6 1041 - 4.7
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1782 1792
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 422 - 4.2 493 - 3.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 2875 3061
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 293 - 546 - 25 - 5.9 287 - 502 - 15 - 6.8
SACKS 46 46
FIELD GOALS 24/30 37/46
TOUCHDOWNS 26 37
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 12 - 14 - 0 - 0 11 - 17 - 3 - 6
TIME OF POSSESSION 28:21 32:27
TURNOVER RATIO -20
1996: http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/statistics?season=1996&team=BUF&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Bills Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 294 283
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 128 - 149 - 17 94 - 168 - 21
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 83/238 92/259
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 9/14 5/17
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5119 4737
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1094 - 4.7 1105 - 4.3
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1901 1669
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 563 - 3.4 495 - 3.4
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3218 3068
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 279 - 483 - 24 - 7.4 292 - 562 - 14 - 6.1
SACKS 48 48
FIELD GOALS 24/29 23/36
TOUCHDOWNS 35 28
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 14 - 18 - 1 - 2 12 - 11 - 1 - 4
TIME OF POSSESSION 29:34 32:19
TURNOVER RATIO -8
1995: http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/statistics?season=1995&team=BUF&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Bills Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 300 287
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 130 - 142 - 28 93 - 180 - 14
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 71/225 84/244
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 7/13 13/23
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5117 5128
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1059 - 4.8 1084 - 4.7
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1993 1626
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 521 - 3.8 453 - 3.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3124 3502
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 279 - 506 - 14 - 6.6 310 - 582 - 17 - 6.6
SACKS 49 32
FIELD GOALS 31/40 34/43
TOUCHDOWNS 37 33
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 10 - 24 - 0 - 3 16 - 14 - 1 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 28:09 31:50
TURNOVER RATIO +2
Denver Broncos 1993: http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?season=1993&team=DEN&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Broncos Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 327 280
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 105 - 187 - 35 86 - 181 - 13
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 98/225 71/215
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 2/11 8/17
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5461 5149
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1060 - 5.2 1005 - 5.1
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1693 1418
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 468 - 3.6 397 - 3.6
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3768 3731
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 350 - 553 - 10 - 7.3 314 - 562 - 18 - 7.1
SACKS 46 39
FIELD GOALS 26/35 31/36
TOUCHDOWNS 42 27
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 13 - 27 - 0 - 2 6 - 21 - 0 - 0
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:49 28:37
TURNOVER RATIO +3
1992: http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?season=1992&team=DEN&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Broncos Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 234 283
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 84 - 135 - 15 105 - 156 - 22
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 67/208 81/222
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 5/11 5/13
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 4430 5083
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 928 - 4.8 1001 - 5.1
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1500 1963
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 403 - 3.7 489 - 4.0
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 2930 3120
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 258 - 473 - 29 - 7.0 268 - 462 - 15 - 7.4
SACKS 50 52
FIELD GOALS 20/25 28/38
TOUCHDOWNS 29 35
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 11 - 16 - 0 - 2 10 - 21 - 0 - 4
TIME OF POSSESSION 28:33 32:08
TURNOVER RATIO -13
1991: http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?season=1991&team=DEN&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Broncos Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 284 242
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 117 - 150 - 17 81 - 147 - 14
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 93/224 64/206
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 8/14 7/17
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5012 4549
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1012 - 5.0 939 - 4.8
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2015 1794
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 507 - 4.0 411 - 4.4
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 2997 2755
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 246 - 459 - 12 - 7.2 246 - 476 - 23 - 6.5
SACKS 52 46
FIELD GOALS 27/36 27/33
TOUCHDOWNS 32 22
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 16 - 13 - 0 - 3 8 - 12 - 0 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:36 28:23
TURNOVER RATIO +11
1990: http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?season=1990&team=DEN&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Broncos Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 323 306
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 126 - 170 - 27 110 - 181 - 15
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS --/-- --/--
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS --/-- --/--
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5213 5345
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1035 - 5.0 969 - 5.5
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1872 1963
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 462 - 4.1 456 - 4.3
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3341 3382
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 305 - 527 - 18 - 7.0 284 - 479 - 10 - 7.7
SACKS 34 46
FIELD GOALS 25/34 26/33
TOUCHDOWNS 36 43
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 19 - 15 - 0 - 2 16 - 22 - 0 - 5
TIME OF POSSESSION 0:00 0:00
TURNOVER RATIO -
1989:http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?season=1989&team=DEN&seasonType=
Team Statistics
Broncos Opponents
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 308 246
FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-passing-by penalty) 125 - 163 - 20 90 - 142 - 14
THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS --/-- --/--
FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS --/-- --/--
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 5093 4407
OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 1071 - 4.8 977 - 4.5
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 2092 1580
RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 554 - 3.8 426 - 3.7
TOTAL PASSING YARDS 3001 2827
PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 256 - 474 - 20 - 7.1 268 - 504 - 21 - 6.4
SACKS 47 43
FIELD GOALS 27/33 17/27
TOUCHDOWNS 40 25
(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 15 - 21 - 0 - 4 10 - 13 - 0 - 2
TIME OF POSSESSION 0:00 0:00
TURNOVER RATIO -

gunns
11-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Said it before the season even started, Slowik would do nothing to improve our D and he's done nothing to prove me wrong. Get rid of him NOW. And hell no to Robinson. I'm tired of these average if not worse DC's.

Inkana7
11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Who's Tennessee's D-Coordinator?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Who's Tennessee's D-Coordinator?

Why? Ask yourself 1 question. What did he do before Albert Haynesworth? I could be a good DC with Albert to build around.

PRBronco
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Why? Ask yourself 1 question. What did he do before Albert Haynesworth? I could be a good DC with Albert to build around.

Hmm, I dunno, someone there's doing something right, they turned Vandenbosch into not a bust, and helped Randy Starks, Travis Laboi and Antwan Odom cash in on some big FA cash.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Didn't Shanahan try to hire Gunther once upon a time?

Gunther will probably be available this offseason...

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Hmm, I dunno, someone there's doing something right, they turned Vandenbosch into not a bust, and helped Randy Starks, Travis Laboi and Antwan Odom cash in on some big FA cash.

Ok then your asking a guy to make a lateral move from a top 5 D to a bottom 5 D and to fix it with little talent.

PRBronco
11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok then your asking a guy to make a lateral move from a top 5 D to a bottom 5 D and to fix it with little talent.

I think our friend Mr. Bowlen can make it worth his while :pimp:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Ok then your asking a guy to make a lateral move from a top 5 D to a bottom 5 D and to fix it with little talent. Now why would a guy who as at the door step of getting a head coaching job take a step like that? And those guys you mentioned are really good players that went on to do something with the Titans.

So who does that leave us with. People who have something to prove I.E. positions coaches or fired head coaches. Now there are coaches that have talent that make a good D or coaches that coach good D. So who does that leave us. Well of the HC thats Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, and Mike Nolan(because he was the LB coach with Shannahan during our SBs). As far as positions coaches that could be anybody.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I think our friend Mr. Bowlen can make it worth his while :pimp:

Ok the most well paid DC is D. LaBeau who gets paid $3.5 Mil. Shannhan gets paid $8 mil. And in Shannahan's contract every time he makes the playoffs he gets a pay hike into top 5 paid coaches.

Also why would any self respecting man want to hide behind the shadow of Shannahan while he could make a name for himself.

TonyR
11-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Also why would any self respecting man want to hide behind the shadow of Shannahan while he could make a name for himself.

Some guys want to have it this way. Jim Johnson in Philly is one example. And then some guys should do it this way, with Wade Phillips and Norv Turner (OC) as perfect examples.

kappys
11-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Didn't Shanahan try to hire Gunther once upon a time?

Gunther will probably be available this offseason...

Wouldn't be a bad move for us.

And we could finally start winning at Camarohead again with Gunther out of our way.

footstepsfrom#27
11-22-2008, 01:15 PM
This guy is available RIGHT NOW... What's not to like?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=30932

Joel Collier returned to New England when he joined Bill Belichick's staff on February 23, 2005. Collier had previously spent three seasons (1991-93) in the Patriots' coaching and scouting departments before serving an 11-year tenure as an assistant coach with the Miami Dolphins (1994-04).

In 2006, Collier's secondary contributed to a defense that set the franchise record in points allowed per game (14.81) and the defensive backfield was key in surrendering the fewest touchdown passes in the league (10). Patriots' opposing quarterbacks had the second lowest cumulative passer rating (66.1) in the league and lowest inside the 30-yard line (50.8). Collier's work with cornerback Asante Samuel helped him tie for the league lead in interceptions with 10 in 2006.

In 2005, Collier helped the secondary improve down the stretch after losing six players to season-ending injuries. In New England's last seven regular-season and playoff games, opponents averaged just 188 passing yards per game while throwing for a total of only five touchdowns. In those final seven contests, opposing teams were held to fewer than 200 total passing yards five times. The synergy that the group achieved was remarkable considering that 13 different starters were utilized during the season, including six starters at strong safety over an eight-week midseason span. Collier's tutelage helped cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs tie for the team lead with three interceptions apiece while combining to produce a total of 30 passes defensed.

Collier rejoined the Patriots in 2005 after completing a seven-year assignment as Miami's running backs coach, during which time he helped produce three 1,000-yard seasons and coached three different players who finished among the NFL's top five rookie rushers in their respective rookie seasons. Under Collier's tutelage, running back Ricky Williams recorded the top two rushing seasons in Dolphins history, notching an NFL-leading franchise-record 1,853 yards in 2002 and following that with a 1,372-yard effort in 2003. Williams earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2002, becoming the first Dolphins running back since Delvin Williams in 1978 to earn such recognition. Collier was also credited with assisting the development of former Miami fullback Rob Konrad, who became known as one of the league's top blocking fullbacks.

His experience on the defensive side of the ball includes a four-year stint as Miami's defensive staff assistant beginning in 1994. In that role, Collier helped to coach the Dolphins linebackers in addition to assisting with the overall football operation. In 1997, he was credited with assisting in the development of linebacker Derrick Rodgers, who earned Sports Illustrated's Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Prior to joining the Dolphins, Collier spent three seasons in Foxborough as the Patriots' assistant running backs and receivers coach (1991-92) and as a pro scout (1993). He was hired as a member of Head Coach Dick MacPherson's staff in 1991, and his assignments included assisting wide receivers coach (and current Patriots running backs coach) Ivan Fears.
Collier began his coaching career in 1988 as a graduate assistant under MacPherson at Syracuse University before entering the NFL as an offensive assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1990.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
This guy is available RIGHT NOW... What's not to like?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=30932

Joel Collier returned to New England when he joined Bill Belichick's staff on February 23, 2005. Collier had previously spent three seasons (1991-93) in the Patriots' coaching and scouting departments before serving an 11-year tenure as an assistant coach with the Miami Dolphins (1994-04).

In 2006, Collier's secondary contributed to a defense that set the franchise record in points allowed per game (14.81) and the defensive backfield was key in surrendering the fewest touchdown passes in the league (10). Patriots' opposing quarterbacks had the second lowest cumulative passer rating (66.1) in the league and lowest inside the 30-yard line (50.8). Collier's work with cornerback Asante Samuel helped him tie for the league lead in interceptions with 10 in 2006.

In 2005, Collier helped the secondary improve down the stretch after losing six players to season-ending injuries. In New England's last seven regular-season and playoff games, opponents averaged just 188 passing yards per game while throwing for a total of only five touchdowns. In those final seven contests, opposing teams were held to fewer than 200 total passing yards five times. The synergy that the group achieved was remarkable considering that 13 different starters were utilized during the season, including six starters at strong safety over an eight-week midseason span. Collier's tutelage helped cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs tie for the team lead with three interceptions apiece while combining to produce a total of 30 passes defensed.

Collier rejoined the Patriots in 2005 after completing a seven-year assignment as Miami's running backs coach, during which time he helped produce three 1,000-yard seasons and coached three different players who finished among the NFL's top five rookie rushers in their respective rookie seasons. Under Collier's tutelage, running back Ricky Williams recorded the top two rushing seasons in Dolphins history, notching an NFL-leading franchise-record 1,853 yards in 2002 and following that with a 1,372-yard effort in 2003. Williams earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2002, becoming the first Dolphins running back since Delvin Williams in 1978 to earn such recognition. Collier was also credited with assisting the development of former Miami fullback Rob Konrad, who became known as one of the league's top blocking fullbacks.

His experience on the defensive side of the ball includes a four-year stint as Miami's defensive staff assistant beginning in 1994. In that role, Collier helped to coach the Dolphins linebackers in addition to assisting with the overall football operation. In 1997, he was credited with assisting in the development of linebacker Derrick Rodgers, who earned Sports Illustrated's Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Prior to joining the Dolphins, Collier spent three seasons in Foxborough as the Patriots' assistant running backs and receivers coach (1991-92) and as a pro scout (1993). He was hired as a member of Head Coach Dick MacPherson's staff in 1991, and his assignments included assisting wide receivers coach (and current Patriots running backs coach) Ivan Fears.
Collier began his coaching career in 1988 as a graduate assistant under MacPherson at Syracuse University before entering the NFL as an offensive assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1990.

Now there is somebody that fits the bill. Had little talent and turn what he had into something good. Also he might really like to come here because Champ and Bly are here.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
you can get old coaches from the team but scenarios change and we are fine with Nolan. Dont jump ship.

TheDave
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
you can get old coaches from the team but scenarios change and we are fine with Nolan. Dont jump ship.

???

Archer81
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Is it 2003? Where the **** am I?

:Broncos:

Broncos4tw
01-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Argh.. NO!

I am so sick of the stupid coaching carousel with team. Give it one year.. and *poof*.. let's start over! That's why I'm not even keen with McD going, even if I've had some doubts. Our D had some issues down the stretch, but is MUCH improved, with a lot more turnovers than last year.

More importantly, our offense did our D no favors at all. During the bad stretch, I lost count of the 3-and-outs our offense managed. This is never good for a defense.

I like our Nolan.. keep him in for another year at least.

hambone13
01-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Argh.. NO!

I am so sick of the stupid coaching carousel with team. Give it one year.. and *poof*.. let's start over! That's why I'm not even keen with McD going, even if I've had some doubts. Our D had some issues down the stretch, but is MUCH improved, with a lot more turnovers than last year.

More importantly, our offense did our D no favors at all. During the bad stretch, I lost count of the 3-and-outs our offense managed. This is never good for a defense.

I like our Nolan.. keep him in for another year at least.

Classic...please read the dates on a thread at the beginning...most of us are still wondering wtf this thread is doing here....

Popps
01-07-2010, 01:29 AM
We should hire Ray Rhodes.

NASurfer
01-07-2010, 01:57 AM
We should sign that Alvin Harper guy from Dallas. Something tells me that he is going to explode once he gets out from under the shadow of Michael Irvin.

Archer81
01-07-2010, 02:54 AM
This RB from Georgia...Tirel Davis...why did we waste a 6th round pick on him?

:Broncos:

chrisp
01-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Lemme just get this straight: you (yes YOU) bumped an OLD thread about DCs from a couple of years ago so that you could make a point about how Nolan shouldn't go - even though that's about the only thing that nobody on this board has yet suggested?

Just so i know, could you please confirm if you are:

a) retarded
b) living in a parallel dimension that has only briefly crossed over this one
c) deliberately trying to cause trouble and acrimony because somehow you don't feel there's been enough of that on this board lately
d) thinking that you're funny somehow (see (a) )
e) a chargers, Cheifs or faiders fan (again, see (a) )

...?