PDA

View Full Version : Cutler and Marshall two of five players considered "OVERRATED" by ESPN

Denver724
11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3683651

A crying shame considering how much talent each has their respective position.

Houshyamama
11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
blah blah blah

cutthemdown
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
From hero to zero, welcome to the NFL.

Problem is players by there 2-3rd yr start thinking they are Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The reality is those players worked hard every off season. Studied film religiously and were students of the game.

After Rice's 2nd 3rd yr he wasn't sitting around basking in the glory of being one of the best in the NFL. He was working hard to get better to become the best that ever was.

IMO Marshal and Cutler read so much about how great they had become they decided they had arrived when really they still had not accomplished even one thing on the NFL level.

Broncos need some leadership.

ludo21
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
how quickly they jumped off the ship....

Screw em, back to trying to get to 9-7 and division title hopefully.

yerner
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
KC Joyner can **** my ****.

Atwater His Ass
11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Right now, Cutler is overrated. He's put up some flashy numbers in the first part of the year, but he's not getting it done over the past 4-5 weeks.

Marshall on the other hand I don't feel is overrated at all. When he gets the ball, he's a threat everytime to make a big play.

theAPAOps5
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
LOL ESPN was on Cutlers bandwagon the first few weeks. But they way they are playing makes them overrated for the hype they got.

_Oro_
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
In Week 1, he posted a one-on-one sack against Detroit right tackle George Foster. Only six tackles gave up more sacks than Foster in 2007, and Foster started only nine games that year. He's obviously a below-average pass-blocker, so beating him isn't an indicator of great pass-rush skill.

Getting sacks on Foster makes you overrated. :)

Irish Stout
11-06-2008, 02:33 PM
The analysis on Cutler... I want to argue with, but can't find the words... or maybe the argument itself.

This dude's points on Marshall on the other hand are stupid. He's saying that since Marshall doesn't get that many yards after the catch that he's clearly not probowl material, but he fails to factor in that Marshall is now often double teamed, so that even when he has the catch, he cannot go anywhere as there are two guys to pull him down. I say boo on your poor analysis sir! I will send Woodyard to your house later.

azbroncfan
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Right now, Cutler is overrated. He's put up some flashy numbers in the first part of the year, but he's not getting it done over the past 4-5 weeks.

Marshall on the other hand I don't feel is overrated at all. When he gets the ball, he's a threat everytime to make a big play.

He deserves it right now because he is playing very similar to Jake Plummer.

tsiguy96
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
cutler: yes, right now he is. his decision making is below par still.

marshall: absolutely not. he is the real deal. if you dont double team him, he will KILL your team single handedly.

Taco John
11-06-2008, 02:40 PM
We'll get over this with a little time and patience.

broncofan2438
11-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Ouch, well maybe tonight he can prove them wrong

Circle Orange
11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, wasn't Cutler going to the hall of fame three weeks ago? And Marshall would eventually morph into Jerry Rice/Randy Moss?

It's like the weather...they kiss your a$$ and then kick it. 8')

rmsanger
11-06-2008, 02:58 PM
it's true and I'm wearing Orange colored glasses....

Arm stronger than John Elway... huh

Florida_Bronco
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
From hero to zero, welcome to the NFL.

Problem is players by there 2-3rd yr start thinking they are Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The reality is those players worked hard every off season. Studied film religiously and were students of the game.

After Rice's 2nd 3rd yr he wasn't sitting around basking in the glory of being one of the best in the NFL. He was working hard to get better to become the best that ever was.

IMO Marshal and Cutler read so much about how great they had become they decided they had arrived when really they still had not accomplished even one thing on the NFL level.

Broncos need some leadership.

I love when people who have never met these players try to provide psychoanalysis on them. It never gets old.

DomCasual
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I rank ESPN as one of the top five overrated networks on television.

dbroncos31
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
They're right on Cutler, but I think that a lot of the Marshall analysis falls on Cutler. Marshall has dropped off, but he is clearly one of the best WRs in the NFL. One of the things that hurts Marshall's YPA is Cutler targeting him 20 times a game, often when Marshall is covered and Cutler should find somebody else. Cutler throwing a pick into triple coverage on Marshall isn't Marshall's fault.

Br0nc0Buster
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM

This is exactly right.
Cutler might be the most overrated qb in the league.
Marshall is struggling because Jay is struggling, and Royal has been knicked up.
I dont fault Marshall for his lack of production.

Cutler needs to pick his game up

broncosteven
11-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Like it or now Cutler is our entire team, as he goes they go. We are in top 5 Offensive yards all without a run game.

Teams know we have no run game and flood field in coverage. They are looking pass 1st and not worrying about a run.

I don't think he is overrated, just struggling with the weight on his back.

Bronx33
11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Well since brandon can't throw the ball to himself KC Joyner decided to pick a high profile easy target that's what all the ( look at me look at me) media douchebags do.

Blart
11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Joyner looks at nothing but stats. He doesn't watch film.

TDmvp
11-06-2008, 04:18 PM

TJ wins cute post of the day honors .... That is like looking at a mini TJ

colonelbeef
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
need more of this. their heads obviously got too big too fast.

TheChamp24
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
You gotta be kidding me, Marshall overrated? Because his YPA is only 7.4? That is downright retarded. And he has regressed from 2007? You gotta be freakin kidding me.
Cutler, I agree with, he is drastically overrated after his hot start. Since the first 3 games, he has thrown more picks that TD's 3 times and only once has his rating been over 78.

Broncomutt
11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Jay's overrated, but not a bad QB. He's just not elite yet, and he may or may not make it there. I'm patient on Jay a couple more seasons.

Marshall is definitely a top tier receiver. If he ever gets a reliable QB and a decent defense he'll have some bling come February.

pink_feet
11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Cutler is overrated. Whats the problem?

Marshall is not though.

BABronco
11-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd take every one of those "overrated" players

SportinOne
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Joyner looks at nothing but stats. He doesn't watch film.

Yeah, baseball fans have a hard time with this... Marshall had what, two bad games this year? And if you take away last week, where he got absolutely cheated by the refs, that makes one bad week with 3 catches for 25 yards.. You know, i just can't discuss this any more.. Yeah, you can call Jay Cutler a little overrated right now given the praise he received during the first three weeks but Marshall is an animal, plain and simple. Hardest receiver in the NFL to tackle.

discussion over

TonyR
11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
...back to trying to get to 9-7 and division title hopefully.

9-7? You can't be serious. We probably won't make 7-9. (edit to state that after that fun and unexpected win in Cle 7-9 is probably exactly where we'll end up)

BroncoMan4ever
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
how funny is it that in the 1st month of the season every ESPN was gargling both Jay and Marshall's balls? and now a month later both are overrated.
it is just pathetic how much ESPN sucks with sports opinion and knowledge

Bronx33
11-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Joyners artical take a shot to the chin already ha! ha! haaaaaa!

broncofan2438
11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Keep the overrated stuff coming ESPN, Cutler and Marshall will just have to keep proving you wrong

WolfpackGuy
11-08-2008, 10:19 AM
KC Joyner's heterosexuality is highly overrated.

Rock Chalk
11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I think you people missed the point on this.

Joyner looks at teh stats, not the film. And the stats say that ESPN clowns have jumped the gun on calling Cutler and Marshall elite. I, like most here agree that Cutler was overrated earlyt in the season, though I like most here, also think Marshall is the real deal and were it not for a plague of injuries and a plethora of bad Cutler decisions, Marshall's production would not have dropped off one iota.

Joyner is not saying these guys are bad players. Not a single one of them. He is saying that they have received much too much hype and attention usually from ESPN itself.

Circle Orange
11-08-2008, 12:13 PM
This all got started when Brady got hurt and Peyton Manning stumbled out of the gate. ESPN, in it's never ending search for the 'next greatest everything' anointed Jay early, which was ridiculous. Jay's no different than any other young qb with talent...he has to be coached properly and given time. And he has to be on a franchise willing to live with early mistakes and miscues. If he's truly great, believe me we'll know eventually. And no amount of hype will change that.

theAPAOps5
11-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Well I think Cutler took a huge step towards beginning to erase the overrated label placed by Joyner on Thursday night. String a couple more games like that together and he will be back to the hype.

Atwater His Ass
11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
This all got started when Brady got hurt and Peyton Manning stumbled out of the gate. ESPN, in it's never ending search for the 'next greatest everything' anointed Jay early, which was ridiculous.

So much of this statement is true. It was the same type of thing that NFLN was doing during the game. It was all Browns Browns Browns Quinn Quinn Quinn. I understand that they picked a story (and a good one) of a guy starting his first game for his childhood team. Great.

But once the game gets moving, lets focus on what's happening during the game. Listening to the announcers, as a casual fan watching the game, they never even really mentioned Cutler's performance until he was over 400 yards passing. I just don't get why they stubbornly stick to their agenda no matter what is happening on the field.

cutthemdown
11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
They may be over rated but that doesn't mean they aren't really good.

broncofan2438
11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
They need to have another big game against Atlanta.

Jason in LA
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
He's way off base about Marshall. It's kind of silly. He's fifth in the league in yards and third in receptions, and that's with missing a game. At this point he's on track to make the Pro Bowl.

I wouldn't use the term overrated about Cutler. Nobody has put him into the elite group of QBs yet. For a guy who isn't elite, he's doing pretty good. Leads the league in passing yards, 2nd in TDs, his offense is second in the league in yards.

He's still going through some growing pains that we thought he'd be over with. Too many ints. I wouldn't say a third year QB who struggles here and there is overrated. There are way more positives than negatives about him. And he's doing all without much of a running game.

Cutler will be fine. I'm not worried about the guy at all. If the D could stop somebody nobody would be talking about this. The Broncos would have the AFC West damn near wrapped up and they wouldn't have to rely on Cutler so much.

chaz
11-08-2008, 07:59 PM
don't forget cutler and marshall's offseason had some speedbumps...i'll give them another year to get things smoothed out completely. hopefully a less eventful offseason together will be more productive for 09 and this overrated perception can be left behind

bronco610
11-08-2008, 08:30 PM
You guy's have got to be kidding me. The first 3 games most people on the board were saying the same thing as the media about Jay. Now its he is over rated. Many people were still saying Brandon was a f-up and now he is the real deal and Jay is not! I wish some of you were around since the 60's and suffered thru the times before Little, the Orange Crush, and Elway. We still sold out and rooted for the Broncos good or bad. We supported even the worst player on the team. Ever since the internet and BB's half the fans bitch and moan about not getting to the super bowl or getting enough notice by the media. It's the Coach, It's the defense, It's this player or that player. How about just rooting for the Broncos !!!!!

bronco610
11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh and I forgot. espn can kiss my ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Williams
11-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I rank ESPN as one of the top five overrated networks on television.

:spit:

BroncoMan4ever
11-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Jay on thursday night showed the poise and ability that separates the good from the great. he threw a bad INT earlier in the game, was without a healthy RB, and was down by 10 going into the 4th quarter.

He went into that 4th quarter and put the team on his shoulders and led them to a win. There are few QB's in the league now that have that ability, to look at the scoreboard in a hostile stadium down by 10, who can shrug it off and lead a team back to victory.

Also, on a side note, Elway became ELWAY with his comeback against the Browns.

chaz
11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Jay on thursday night showed the poise and ability that separates the good from the great. he threw a bad INT earlier in the game, was without a healthy RB, and was down by 10 going into the 4th quarter.

the INT was completely marshall's fault

Spider
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Overrated ?
ESPN is ****ing overrated ......2 hour pregame show that i cant stand 30 minutes of

TomServo
11-08-2008, 11:43 PM
and bret favre has one ring in todays NFL. dumbasses in the media dont freakin admit overated

Tombstone RJ
11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I value esspins opinion about as much as I value dirt in the carpet. Even if esspin says something positive about a Denver team, I have to take it with a grain of salt, knowing that they are just setting things up for a later knock down.

Hogan11
11-09-2008, 09:01 AM
**** the Entertainment Sports Network.

Circle Orange
11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
and bret favre has one ring in todays NFL. dumbasses in the media dont freakin admit overated

But he's a gunslinger! Brainless interceptions are a measure of greatness! http://scosoft.com/s/k/13d7178d.gif

Missouribronc
11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Correction: By one writer at ESPN.

HAT
01-25-2011, 09:19 AM

Call me a cynic but I'm not so sure about this. Ha!

NFLBRONCO
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I bet they'd change their tune if BM was traded to NE Indy or Pitt.

BM is a great wr

Cutler is a good QB that needs to work harder to be great. He has all the physical tools to be great not sure his head will him get there. I do feel he will always be ripped on because alot of people get turned off by him he's got a quirky personality.

HAT
01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
PS....I didn't bump this as a commentary on JC, BM or the original article.

I just found Taco's 'time and patience' prediction ironic considering we are 2 1/2 years removed from this thread & the topic isn't going away any time soon.

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
KC Joyner can **** my ****.

You live in ****sville, va with gay ass UVA. ..Kiss your own ass. :P