PDA

View Full Version : Since the 3-4 might be here to stay this is how I attempt to fix it.

azbroncfan
10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Lets take a break from the doom and gloom threads and get some how to fix thread. No surprise the D is as bad as it is since they showed that in preseason that they would struggle since they were going to put 8 in the box to stop the run and sacrifice the pass D. I personally think the 3-4 that Denver is running now is basically the same as the 4-3 they run but they use a LB in Elvis spot since he can get run over just as bad as Elvis and they can save him for passing downs.

First thing is Get a legit 3-4 coordinator. I have been against changing DC since that has been a big problem in my opinion, but the D can't get anyworse than it is and Slowik's record speaks for itself.

Here is my depth chart

CB Bailey

OLB Sign Suggs, Moss

DE Robertson, Draft pick, Powell if he can't play NT

NT Sign Gabe Watson, Antonio Dixon draft pick Miami, Powell

DE Thomas, Mitch King Iowa or other pick, Peterson

OLB DJ, Elvis or Draft Pick, DJ isn't ideal for 3-4 end but with his new deal he will be around.

ILB DJ, draft pick

ILB Sign one of the following FA's Bart Scott, Eric Barton, Channing Crowder.

SS Sign Sean Jones of Cleveland, or Darren Sharper who will buy a year or two. Whoever is cheaper.

FS Draft Willam Moore, I'd also be happy with Derrick Pegues

CB Bly

NCB Williams, Draft pick, or bargain FA

Anyone else like to take a stab?

footstepsfrom#27
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
We need about 14 draft picks this time around and all of them should be on defense.

Bronx33
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Put woodyard in coach!

Taco John
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I'll believe that the 3-4 is here to stay when I see the draft. Otherwise, I'll believe that this is nothing but a desperate attempt to hide the shortcomings of our D-line and hang our linebackers out to dry.

BMarsh615
10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I say scrap the 3-4. Sell our soul for Haynesworth. He would make every player on our D-line better. And then get the best available MLB or best available safety in the first round and go from there.

Jarvis and Elvis are not 3-4 outside linebackers. I would hate to see them in coverage. We couldn't be too creative with them playing OLB.

Florida_Bronco
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll believe that the 3-4 is here to stay when I see the draft. Otherwise, I'll believe that this is nothing but a desperate attempt to hide the shortcomings of our D-line and hang our linebackers out to dry.

I think Shanny has made it pretty clear that his team will never run a 3-4 as a base defense.

nickademus
10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
if we are never running a the 3-4 then what the hell do you call the D we played for 70% of last nights game? Sure it sucked but if I am not mistaken that was a 3-4.

nickademus
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
IMHO we are two Safteys, two ILBs and a NT away from a decent 3-4 I really think we should be looking to fill out the Tampa 2 but oh well.

yavoon
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I say scrap the 3-4. Sell our soul for Haynesworth. He would make every player on our D-line better. And then get the best available MLB or best available safety in the first round and go from there.

Jarvis and Elvis are not 3-4 outside linebackers. I would hate to see them in coverage. We couldn't be too creative with them playing OLB.

neither of them can play DE, so if they can't play DE and can't play OLB, they're pretty much going to washout.

kappys
10-22-2008, 06:47 AM
I think a 3-4 could work. I mean really what are we holding onto here? Do we have the players to run a 4-3 - I would contend not.

Like you said Taco we'll see what happens in the draft/offseason but I don't think Shanny is as devoted to the 4-3 as some people think its just that most of our D-coordinators are 4-3 guys. I'm on the Kaylore fire Slowik bandwagon now - but I at least credit him with trying to be creative and use a 3-4 despite its obvious failures.

On D-line I think we are more suited to a 3-4 front than a 4-3. Really the only loser in the situation is Dummervil - he would have to be traded most likely or secondarily could be tried out at OLB. Moss sucks and is worthless at DE, does it matter if he's worthless at OLB as well? Maybe he would do better at it - coverage responsibilities exist but he has good speed and atheleticism and if he sucks then cut his ass.

At DE in a 3-4 we would be set - Marcus Thomas, Robertson, Peterson have already shown they can play a 3-4 end reasonably well. Add Ekuban and Engleberger as players that I think could make the transition, and possibly Crowder(again who cares?). We would need to get a true NT to round out the unit. Hopefully Powell who is touted as a tough run defender with excelleng gap control could also contribute maybe as a backup NT or DE.

At LB again I ask what are we holding onto? Neither Boss nor Niko got huge contracts. with the expectation that Marshall is going to be the only really big contract this offseason we could afford the cap hit of letting them go.

DJ could play ILB in a 3-4 pretty IMO. not his ideal position but I don't think he would struggly that much. Aside from the last game I've been impressed this year by his shedding of blockers. The other ILB - well maybe Niko(doubtful), Webster(worthless in a 3-4 or 4-3 look), or a draft pick/FA.

At OLB we would be in serious trouble - but again what are we holding onto? Boss wouldn't be a huge hit to cut, DJ will play in either look. Winborn actually would be a decent backup in a 3-4 allignment. As AZ said we would probably have to sign someone like Suggs, and IMO we would have to sign or draft at least one more guy.

At safety we are screwed, that much is clear to everybody.

In fact in considering our defense the only real loss in a switch to a 3-4 IMO would be Dummervil.

gyldenlove
10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

I believe when we hire one of the 3-4 DCs out there on the market (Wade Philips, Mike Nolan).

Lolad
10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
We are bad in pass coverage because we have all 4 LB's out there trying to cover WR's. On passing situations we should bring in a CB to replace one of the safety spots.

Don Flamenco
10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
We don't have the personnel to run either the 3-4 or 4-3.

The Joker
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I like the 3-4, but only in passing downs.

We tried to run more 3-4 in general against NE, and we all saw what happened. We got hammered by the running game as a consequence.

It'll take years to get a half decent 3-4 going. We need more or less an entirely new D-Line. Nobody on the roster can play NT there, and draftees at that position usually need time to adjust.

You're also wasting Marcus Thomas by moving him to a 3-4 end. The guy is showing signs of potentially becoming a monster DT. He's improving every week and is doing fantastic considering how much football he missed out on in college. He's miles ahead of where he was last year, and looks to have a lot more upside on top of that. Moving him to end would be a massive mistake.

Our biggest need is a MLB. Webster is making a play here and there but he lacks the intelligence to read the game, which is essential. For every good tackle he makes there's another play where he goes charging aimlessly into the wrong gap and whiffs on a play he's in position to make.

We need someone who can organise the front seven, who can read and react to what's going on in front of him rather than plow around like a maniac trying to make plays on instinct. That's what we have DJ for, and he's very good at it and will be even better if we stick someone with some real brains alongside him. It's a good draft at MIKE coming up, go get one Denver.

Next we need a safety, two of them in all honesty but at least one whose actually good. One really good one would make the guy alongside him look a hell of a lot better. Teams know the middle of the field is open all day long as we've nobody back there likely to suss out the play and jump a route.

If we're drafting right now, with no FA pick-ups factored in, I'm getting a Safety and MIKE on Day 1.

Then we need to invest in some more options on the D-Line. We can't give up on Moss and Crowder yet, but at the same time we can't go banking on them to work out either. I'd expect at least 3 D-Line picks on day 2, primarily looking for a DE is possible.

Again, I think we have some good foundations for a functional 4-3 D.

Elvis is a pass-rushing threat, but we need another option or two at DE to make him more of a situational player.

Thomas looks a real prospect at DT, and Robertson has been good too. Peterson is a very good nickle DT who can get at the passer.

DJ is a fine WLB, and like I said will look all that much better with a real football player alongside him at MIKE.

Champ and Bly are as good a CB pairing as there is, regardless of everyone hating on Bly because he's got absolutely no help at Safety.

Get a real upgrade at MLB and Safety and thinks start to look a lot better. The best thing that could happen the rest of the year is for Moss and Crowder to step up and at least look like they've got something to offer.

yavoon
10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

We tried to run more 3-4 in general against NE, and we all saw what happened. We got hammered by the running game as a consequence.

It'll take years to get a half decent 3-4 going. We need more or less an entirely new D-Line. Nobody on the roster can play NT there, and draftees at that position usually need time to adjust.

You're also wasting Marcus Thomas by moving him to a 3-4 end. The guy is showing signs of potentially becoming a monster DT. He's improving every week and is doing fantastic considering how much football he missed out on in college. He's miles ahead of where he was last year, and looks to have a lot more upside on top of that. Moving him to end would be a massive mistake.

Our biggest need is a MLB. Webster is making a play here and there but he lacks the intelligence to read the game, which is essential. For every good tackle he makes there's another play where he goes charging aimlessly into the wrong gap and whiffs on a play he's in position to make.

We need someone who can organise the front seven, who can read and react to what's going on in front of him rather than plow around like a maniac trying to make plays on instinct. That's what we have DJ for, and he's very good at it and will be even better if we stick someone with some real brains alongside him. It's a good draft at MIKE coming up, go get one Denver.

Next we need a safety, two of them in all honesty but at least one whose actually good. One really good one would make the guy alongside him look a hell of a lot better. Teams know the middle of the field is open all day long as we've nobody back there likely to suss out the play and jump a route.

If we're drafting right now, with no FA pick-ups factored in, I'm getting a Safety and MIKE on Day 1.

Then we need to invest in some more options on the D-Line. We can't give up on Moss and Crowder yet, but at the same time we can't go banking on them to work out either. I'd expect at least 3 D-Line picks on day 2, primarily looking for a DE is possible.

Elvis is a pass-rushing threat, but we need another option or two at DE to make him more of a situational player.

Thomas looks a real prospect at DT, and Robertson has been good too. Peterson is a very good nickle DT who can get at the passer.

DJ is a fine WLB, and like I said will look all that much better with a real football player alongside him at MIKE.

Champ and Bly are as good a CB pairing as there is, regardless of everyone hating on Bly because he's got absolutely no help at Safety.

Get a real upgrade at MLB and Safety and thinks start to look a lot better. The best thing that could happen the rest of the year is for Moss and Crowder to step up and at least look like they've got something to offer.

more horrendous lies about how it will take generations, maybe centuries to implement a different front 7. once again, miami did it one offseason while simultaneously dumping their two best players on defense and not drafting a defensive player #1. this is the same tired excuse used every year as we slowly get worse and worse at defense.

LittleFloyd
10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Bly won't be here next year, has nothing to do with his play but everything to do with $$$$.

azbroncfan
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
SInce it looks like it's coming back here was my fix plan.

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I like the gabe watson thing if his big ass would stop being lazy, I remember when he was coming out he was slated to be picked top 10 as a big time massive force in the middle. Ended up slipping way into the 2nd round because of a poor work ethic.

But Mike Nolan wont be having any lazyness and quitters.

SureShot
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the gabe watson thing if his big ass would stop being lazy, I remember when he was coming out he was slated to be picked top 10 as a big time massive force in the middle. Ended up slipping way into the 2nd round because of a poor work ethic.

But Mike Nolan wont be having any lazyness and quitters.

Isn't that what Singletary called his players in San Fran?

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Isn't that what Singletary called his players in San Fran?

I dont know.