PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of a dead period

SoCalBronco
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
September 23, 2008 4:31 PM
Coming out of a 'dead' period
It's called 'dead money,' maybe because the information attached to the salary-cap figure teams would rather bury in a graveyard, never to be re-visited.

The dead-money figure these days from a practical standpoint isn't as important as several years ago, when the overall cap numbers were lower and clubs frequently shoe-horned salaries under the limit. It isn't unusual for teams in 2008 to have bountiful room under the $116.8 million spending limit.

Rather, dead money exposes the botched free agents and missed draft picks that are gone from clubs who continue to pay those players on the books if not the wallet.

In the Broncos' case, an analysis of their dead-money situation is a signal of a changing front-office direction away from the high-priced signings that largely failed the team in recent years to what appears to be a more streamlined, and possibly, more stable future.

It's an emphasis begun under general manager Ted Sundquist and carried on by the front-office triumvirate of Jim Goodman, Jeff Goodman and cap gurus Brian Xanders and Mike Bluem.

In 2008, the Broncos have about $30 million in dead money.

The biggest payouts for nothing in return this season come from released Javon Walker ($6.8 million), retired Matt Lepsis ($5.0 million), injured Al Wilson ($4.166 million), traded Gerard Warren ($2.2 million), retired Rod Smith ($2.0 million), released Travis Henry ($1.2 million), traded Montrae Holland ($1.1 million) and released John Lynch ($1 million).

Obviously some of those expenditures were undermined by circumstances, such as Wilson's neck issues and Smith's hip problems. But many others reflected the large-scale payouts to veteran players that largely failed.

Denver's situation in 2009 -- though there are certain changes to come, is much more settled. Henry's $3.6 million balance is the only notable expenditure. The sum total of the rest of the dead money is under $600,000.

Couple that with the signing of linebacker D.J. Williams, a player just entering his prime; the stockpiling of draft picks from trades involving Keary Colbert, Chris Myers, Holland and Domonique Foxworth and recent successes selecting from the college ranks the last three years in April. Denver's 3-0 start shouldn't be the only developments exciting Broncos fans.

It's the underlying foundation that seems to be strengthening beneath that success.

-- Lee Rasizer

Posted by at 4:31 PM | Comments (1)

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/broncos/archives/2008/09/broncos_buried.html

baja
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Very cool

TheManeMan
09-24-2008, 09:43 PM
30 million? Thats the most expensive toilet paper i've ever heard of...

Good read Socal, thanks for sharing...

2KBack
09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I heart the Goodmans

Broncosfreak_56
09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Very nice.

Vegas_Bronco
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe Pat can give me a home loan next year?

SoCalBronco
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Obviously, we all like the new direction they are going in but it does have some obvious downsides, such as the lack of a quick fix. People are talking in the other thread about bringing in a big time DE etc., well thats not really going to happen anymore. We're not going to make those kinds of investments anymore by and large. In fact, I would suggest that we are not going to make the type of required investment in FA for even a SINGLE true big time impact DL. I suspect that this new enlightened line of thought had less to do with the Broncos realizing that it was a smarter way to go than the Broncos simply adding up the projected numbers of their own homegrown big time soon to be UFAs (i.e. the class of 2006) and coming to the inescapable conclusion that the only way to have a real shot at retaining all of them was to put the brakes on all this crap. Either way, I'm glad they are at that point, even if it will prevent us from adding another big piece or two to take the next step. We're going to have to take the next step on our own and that makes it harder, but its ok.

I do wish Warren was still here, though.

baja
09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
who did we get with that raiders 4th we got for warren

wolf754life
09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
socal, they HAVE to add some quality Defensive starters next year through free agency, no choice but to upgrade.

SoCalBronco
09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
socal, they HAVE to add some quality Defensive starters next year through free agency, no choice but to upgrade.

We will upgrade by amassing even more picks than the sad lot of them that we have now by continuing to trade replaceables and more importantly by accomplishing trades down by being willing to forego the premium over chart value and even if we have to giving up a little bit of overall chart value in the exchange. We will then be able to use these picks en masse on the position with hope that at least one or more will work out, or in the alternative, have the flexibility (because we will have, if we do it right, alot of picks, right now we only have a pathetic 9) to package several to move up for a guy we really want. This is how its done.

If you want to do FA, we do ONLY bargain basement to mid-level FA's. That's it. No more "lets add this monster DE or DT" or any of that crap. We can't afford that. We've got a ton of kids from the 06 draft coming up on UFA. The lion's share of funds need to be reserved for that. If you want to add the equivalent of a Boss Bailey type or Weigmann type to the DL, fine, but thats it so far as FA goes. You can't say "oh this is a great new strategy" and turn around and say "I want that beast, give him whatever he wants, we need him bad".

TheManeMan
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
who did we get with that raiders 4th we got for warren

It was a conditional 5th...and I believe it was Torain...

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
We will upgrade by amassing even more picks than the sad lot of them that we have now by continuing to trade replaceables and more importantly by accomplishing trades down by being willing to forego the premium over chart value and even if we have to giving up a little bit of overall chart value in the exchange. We will then be able to use these picks en masse on the position with hope that at least one or more will work out, or in the alternative, have the flexibility (because we will have, if we do it right, alot of picks, right now we only have a pathetic 9) to package several to move up for a guy we really want. This is how its done.

If you want to do FA, we do ONLY bargain basement to mid-level FA's. That's it. No more "lets add this monster DE or DT" or any of that crap. We can't afford that. We've got a ton of kids from the 06 draft coming up on UFA. The lion's share of funds need to be reserved for that. If you want to add the equivalent of a Boss Bailey type or Weigmann type to the DL, fine, but thats it so far as FA goes. You can't say "oh this is a great new strategy" and turn around and say "I want that beast, give him whatever he wants, we need him bad".

I think it depends on the player. New England is a great example of a team that has built through the draft and FA. They paid big for Adalius Thomas and you cant say that hasn't worked out for them.

SoCalBronco
09-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I think it depends on the player. New England is a great example of a team that has built through the draft and FA. They paid big for Adalius Thomas and you cant say that hasn't worked out for them.

It doesnt matter. We dont have the money to spare on big time FAs. New England doesnt have a big time recieving TE they will have to pay. New England doesnt have the No. 1 WR in pro football that they have to pay. I could keep going down the list but you get the picture.

Like I said, I wish this was about the Broncos just realizing one day, in the abstract, that it was just smarter to do it this way, but they probably came to this conclusion just by looking at the numbers and who's coming due and the huge burden it will be to keep them.

DB-Freak
09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
If they let go of Marshall, I'll have to choke a bitch...

Preferrably a bitch that has the name Rasheeda.

fontaine
09-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Obviously, we all like the new direction they are going in but it does have some obvious downsides, such as the lack of a quick fix. People are talking in the other thread about bringing in a big time DE etc., well thats not really going to happen anymore. We're not going to make those kinds of investments anymore by and large. In fact, I would suggest that we are not going to make the type of required investment in FA for even a SINGLE true big time impact DL. I suspect that this new enlightened line of thought had less to do with the Broncos realizing that it was a smarter way to go than the Broncos simply adding up the projected numbers of their own homegrown big time soon to be UFAs (i.e. the class of 2006) and coming to the inescapable conclusion that the only way to have a real shot at retaining all of them was to put the brakes on all this crap. Either way, I'm glad they are at that point, even if it will prevent us from adding another big piece or two to take the next step. We're going to have to take the next step on our own and that makes it harder, but its ok.

I agree with almost everything you've said here bro but I do think that we have a two year window where we could sign a couple of very good Defensive starters through FA.

Cutler, Marsh, Royal, Kuper, Harris, Clady, Schef are still playing on their rookie deals and we have a two year window where their original contracts will expire and we'll have to resign them (Apart from Clady who still has five left or so). Like you said that'll shift the balance of the salary cap towards the offense.

And while I agree with you that we'll have to then start using 1st day picks on the defense, I think we have a window of two years to bring in two quality defensive Free Agents. A veteran safety like Darren Sharper because safeties just get paid less in FA and possibly a Mike or DT. The rest we can filter through the draft and we'll need to make the most of the next two drafts to bring in guys who can produce instead of raw potential types like Moss. With our offense we'll have a window of maybe the next five years before injuries and age take over and it's what we do in the draft the next two years defensively that will dictate whether we can go the Indy route to the SuperBowl (loaded offense, and adequate D through the draft) instead of being full of fail like KC were for 5 years (loaded offenses, perenially crappy D).

Vladimir
09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
I am confused as to why when a player retires such as Matt Lepsis and Rod Smith it counts as dead money....

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 04:49 AM
It doesnt matter. We dont have the money to spare on big time FAs. New England doesnt have a big time recieving TE they will have to pay. New England doesnt have the No. 1 WR in pro football that they have to pay. I could keep going down the list but you get the picture.

Like I said, I wish this was about the Broncos just realizing one day, in the abstract, that it was just smarter to do it this way, but they probably came to this conclusion just by looking at the numbers and who's coming due and the huge burden it will be to keep them.

One first day pick should go toward another interior OL and a second pick to the same pos. on day two.

alkemical
09-25-2008, 05:20 AM
One first day pick should go toward another interior OL and a second pick to the same pos. on day two.

You know what man - i'd take BPA with the picks we have. No matter OL/DL/LB/S. If they meet those conditions, snatch them. Of course if you get a surprise player - you can always snatch them up.

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 05:40 AM
You know what man - i'd take BPA with the picks we have. No matter OL/DL/LB/S. If they meet those conditions, snatch them. Of course if you get a surprise player - you can always snatch them up.

I'm sure Goodman will have a nice list of capable players for each pick we have. Hopefully, one of them on the first day is an interior OL to get some experience in the system before he's in the fire.

alkemical
09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm sure Goodman will have a nice list of capable players for each pick we have. Hopefully, one of them on the first day is an interior OL to get some experience in the system before he's in the fire.

I think Lichtensteiger might be ok for us. I mean, if there's a sure fire C in the first round - cool - but i'm not above/beyond taking anyone that can fill a hole - i just don't want to reach for them.

I still want to give Moss time - but i'm impatient. I projected him as taking up to 5 years to become a complete player.

Beantown Bronco
09-25-2008, 06:17 AM

Since the first day is only two rounds long now, I'd be shocked if both didn't go towards the defense. Unless they trade down and somehow get three picks on day one, I'd be pretty confused if they went with a guard or center on day one.

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Since the first day is only two rounds long now, I'd be shocked if both didn't go towards the defense. Unless they trade down and somehow get three picks on day one, I'd be pretty confused if they went with a guard or center on day one.

With the 64th pick, I fully endorse it. :thumbsup:

socalorado
09-25-2008, 06:22 AM
With the 64th pick, I fully endorse it. :thumbsup:

With the 64th pick you endorse a o-linemen?

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 06:26 AM
With the 64th pick you endorse a o-linemen?

Interior for sure. Someone to push Lichtensteiger and vice versa. That way the loser of that contest can provide quality depth and be ready to fill LG when Ben hangs it up.

theAPAOps5
09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
This is why Lee Rasizer is the best writer in Denver. All his articles are well thought out and well written.

The Joker
09-25-2008, 06:45 AM
You have to balance between needs and talent to draft well, hopefully we adhere to that next year.

Our needs as it stand in order of importance, IMO

MLB - We need a leader at MIKE, someone who can both motivate the rest of our D and play with the intelligence needed from the position. Nate is a headless chicken there, he really is.

It's why we're so susceptible to little dump offs and short passes. The MLB has the best position on the field to diagnose and react to the play, which Nate simply fails to do. Put a full strength Al Wilson out there and we have a pretty decent D, make no mistake about it.

With an alledged good draft for MIKE's coming back, we should be in great position to find a new leader for the D.

Safety - I just have this ahead of D-Line for now, because although the trenches are more important our current safeties really are dispicable. We have ignored this position for a long time, and it's really hurting us now.

DE/DT - We need more help on the D-line. If Moss and Crowder start to show any signs of promise, I'd be tempted to get a DT early. Robertson is on borrowed time with his knee, and we could do with getting a long term partner for Thomas at DT.

If we see nothing from our 2nd year DE's though, then we'll have to consider investing in our pass rush on Day 1.

Interior Offensive Lineman - A center or guard, depending on how we see Lichtensteiner. We keep building on our strength, get a line in place to keep Cutler safe for the next decade.

I see those 4 positions as the likely first 4 picks for us from what we know now, barring some talent slips that we like too much to pass on. Obviously a lot can change in the meantime but from what we have now that'd be my guess.

I'd say a MLB is a nailed on Day 1 selection for us. With the upcoming class being pretty deep there, we may well be able to get someone we like in round 2. But if there's a guy we love there when we pick in Round 1, it's an absolute no-brainer.

After that we can go BPA at the other 3 positions, because they're all positions that it's well worth investing high draft picks for this team.

socalorado
09-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Interior for sure. Someone to push Lichtensteiger and vice versa. That way the loser of that contest can provide quality depth and be ready to fill LG when Ben hangs it up.

I cant see DEN continuing to ignore the MLB spot. And safety is a position that still needs depth as well. I think 4 out of the 1st 5 picks have to be on defense. Maybe a offensive player in the 3rd, but no higher.
The defense needs massive help and depth.

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 07:00 AM
I cant see DEN continuing to ignore the MLB spot. And safety is a position that still needs depth as well. I think 4 out of the 1st 5 picks have to be on defense. Maybe a offensive player in the 3rd, but no higher.
The defense needs massive help and depth.

I disagree. I want a LB at the top. Badly. I'd be willing to give up a tonnnnnn of picks to get the guy the Goodman's believe will be THE guy (odds are its Mauluga... who doesn't love this guy?), and then role players at S and maybe a DL or two.

Keep in mind Powell was highly regarded, and will be making his return. Then Barrett still has a chance to develop. Who knows what growth Woodyard will experience.

We can also count on continued growth from Thomas and hopefully a lightbulb clicking for either Crowder or Moss.

Things aren't as bleak as they seem after getting lit up in two halves by potent offenses.

The D needs to string a COMPLETE game together against these top shelf teams, but really, that's significantly easier said than done.

DarkHorse30
09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
honestly they are the only two Denver writers (I still call Adam a Denver writer, although he is moved up and on to NFLnetwork.......but is still kicking butt and giving us information, not opinion dressed up as news) that I still respect. All of the other ones are idiots or near-idiots.

Interesting to see Sundquist get a nod for starting Denver in the right direction before being replaced. Off topic, I would give Wade Phillips the same nod for securing Habib, Zimmerman and A. Miller as some help for Elway (while Reeves was still pissed off @ Shanahan for stealing his QB away from him...Tommy Maddox this, Tex!)

BroncoInferno
09-25-2008, 07:27 AM
If you want to do FA, we do ONLY bargain basement to mid-level FA's. That's it. No more "lets add this monster DE or DT" or any of that crap. We can't afford that.

It's not just that we can't afford it; it's that monster lineman in their prime almost never make it to the market. The best case scenario is you can trade a draft pick and get someone on the Corey Williams level. But then you pay through the nose. Plus, big DL signings very frequently bust, particularly DTs who have a very short shelf life in terms of high quality play. We pretty much have no choice but to try and build the line through the draft, cap space or no. We tried in 2007 and the jury is still out, although it isn't looking too good. We may just have to try again.

socalorado
09-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I disagree. I want a LB at the top. Badly. I'd be willing to give up a tonnnnnn of picks to get the guy the Goodman's believe will be THE guy (odds are its Mauluga... who doesn't love this guy?), and then role players at S and maybe a DL or two.

Keep in mind Powell was highly regarded, and will be making his return. Then Barrett still has a chance to develop. Who knows what growth Woodyard will experience.

We can also count on continued growth from Thomas and hopefully a lightbulb clicking for either Crowder or Moss.

Things aren't as bleak as they seem after getting lit up in two halves by potent offenses.

The D needs to string a COMPLETE game together against these top shelf teams, but really, that's significantly easier said than done.

Well, if DEN can get REY REY with their 1st pick, then i could deal with a o-linemen in the 2nd or 3rd. Although i would like to see Patrick Chung taken in the 2nd myself. To get REY, DEN will need to deal a pick more than likely from 2010. Hes a game changer, and to me , hes totally worth it.
I like Powell and Barrett, but i would still like to see some depth there.
I REALLY wish DEN would bring up Barrett and give him some time in the box. It cant get any worse.

TheReverend
09-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, if DEN can get REY REY with their 1st pick, then i could deal with a o-linemen in the 2nd or 3rd. Although i would like to see Patrick Chung taken in the 2nd myself. To get REY, DEN will need to deal a pick more than likely from 2010. Hes a game changer, and to me , hes totally worth it.
I like Powell and Barrett, but i would still like to see some depth there.
I REALLY wish DEN would bring up Barrett and give him some time in the box. It cant get any worse.

It can ALWAYS get worse. Patience is required in this game.

The Joker
09-25-2008, 07:45 AM
We'll have no shot at Maualuga, he's gonna be the first LB taken and barring some serious tankage from us this year we'll be in no position to draft him.

And I can't see us putting together a massive trade to get him with so many other needs on D.

Not gonna happen, so we need to be evaluating guys we can get either in the late 1st round or maybe the 2nd if we have a stud safety or quality D-Lineman we prefer in Round 1.

gyldenlove
09-25-2008, 08:12 AM
I am confused as to why when a player retires such as Matt Lepsis and Rod Smith it counts as dead money....

Because we gave them a bonus to sign the contract, so we spend X million dollars to have them sign, that money is divided evenly over the first 6 years of the contract, or less if the contract is not 6 years. When a player is traded, retires, released the amount of signing bonus that would have counted towards future years salary cap are all bunched up into the next years cap.

If a player retires before the contract is up the team has the option of recovering a percentage of the signing bonus as the player didn't live up to the contract, but this usually doesn't give cap relief. If it did you would be able to give old players a 6 year deal with 20 million in signing bonus and no salary, they would count only about 3.5 mill against the cap, then have that player retire after year 1, go after 10 million of the bonus. In the end the player would have played 1 year for 10 million dollars but only a cap hit of 3.5 million.

worm
09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Anybody know what the $ numbers are for Nails if he retires?

alkemical
09-25-2008, 08:16 AM

I thought he was in the last year of his deal.

gyldenlove
09-25-2008, 08:16 AM
You have to balance between needs and talent to draft well, hopefully we adhere to that next year.

Our needs as it stand in order of importance, IMO

MLB - We need a leader at MIKE, someone who can both motivate the rest of our D and play with the intelligence needed from the position. Nate is a headless chicken there, he really is.

It's why we're so susceptible to little dump offs and short passes. The MLB has the best position on the field to diagnose and react to the play, which Nate simply fails to do. Put a full strength Al Wilson out there and we have a pretty decent D, make no mistake about it.

With an alledged good draft for MIKE's coming back, we should be in great position to find a new leader for the D.

Safety - I just have this ahead of D-Line for now, because although the trenches are more important our current safeties really are dispicable. We have ignored this position for a long time, and it's really hurting us now.

DE/DT - We need more help on the D-line. If Moss and Crowder start to show any signs of promise, I'd be tempted to get a DT early. Robertson is on borrowed time with his knee, and we could do with getting a long term partner for Thomas at DT.

If we see nothing from our 2nd year DE's though, then we'll have to consider investing in our pass rush on Day 1.

Interior Offensive Lineman - A center or guard, depending on how we see Lichtensteiner. We keep building on our strength, get a line in place to keep Cutler safe for the next decade.

I see those 4 positions as the likely first 4 picks for us from what we know now, barring some talent slips that we like too much to pass on. Obviously a lot can change in the meantime but from what we have now that'd be my guess.

I'd say a MLB is a nailed on Day 1 selection for us. With the upcoming class being pretty deep there, we may well be able to get someone we like in round 2. But if there's a guy we love there when we pick in Round 1, it's an absolute no-brainer.

After that we can go BPA at the other 3 positions, because they're all positions that it's well worth investing high draft picks for this team.

I would say S or DE in round 1 and MLB in round 2. I would like Patrick Chung in round 1, and Ellerbe or Beckwith in round 2.

We really need some safety coverage so we can play our cornerbacks more aggressive, right now we have no coverage over top so we have to back our cornerbacks off to not give up the deep bomb.

The good thing about our offense right now is that we are pretty set so we can draft prospects in the lower rounds, we can actually afford to whiff on some of our picks.

eddie mac
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Lee obviously missed the Colbert dead money in 2009 yet he included the draft pick we got for him, $1.66m to be exact.

Plus how could anyone forget about the $3.5m that's still on the books this year for a certain Gold Digger.:wiggle:

eddie mac
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Zero.

USMCBladerunner
09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

actually, NE does have an arguably top of the league wide receiver (he did catch 23 TDs last season) in Randy Moss...and they pay him a pitance...it's quite aggravating

lex
09-25-2008, 09:19 AM

Thats great but Im not convinced Shanahan wouldnt sign a DE if he thought that would make the difference vs. drafting a guy and waiting a year or two just to know if he is what they expected.

Kaylore
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
We will upgrade by amassing even more picks than the sad lot of them that we have now

:kiddingme We have more than you start with. That's above average.

Merlin
09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I think it depends on the player. New England is a great example of a team that has built through the draft and FA.
Actually, they have been stinking it up of late. Their last 2-3 drafts have been unimpressive (one was a total failure), and their FA acquisitions for this season have been, overall, largely unimpressive.

Merlin
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
:kiddingme We have more than you start with. That's above average.
It had me a little confused, but then I realized it was SoCal...and we all know his stance on draft picks :D

Kaylore
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
It had me a little confused, but then I realized it was SoCal...and we all know his stance on draft picks :D

:rofl: Yeah. Good point. If we don't have double-digit draft picks he's furious.

Vladimir
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Because we gave them a bonus to sign the contract, so we spend X million dollars to have them sign, that money is divided evenly over the first 6 years of the contract, or less if the contract is not 6 years. When a player is traded, retires, released the amount of signing bonus that would have counted towards future years salary cap are all bunched up into the next years cap.

If a player retires before the contract is up the team has the option of recovering a percentage of the signing bonus as the player didn't live up to the contract, but this usually doesn't give cap relief. If it did you would be able to give old players a 6 year deal with 20 million in signing bonus and no salary, they would count only about 3.5 mill against the cap, then have that player retire after year 1, go after 10 million of the bonus. In the end the player would have played 1 year for 10 million dollars but only a cap hit of 3.5 million.

Thank you! Makes sense. :thumbs:

lostknight
09-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I would make a couple of notes. The first is that while Clady has been a huge success, Moss has yet to make any impact in the game. i think there is something to that butter zone between picks number 8 and picks 15 where there is a lot of value, as opposed to just pressure.

I would like to see us stick with lineman for a bit with the draft. Primarily DT. Woody and the up and coming safeties should make a strong impact in the middle, so I would actually like to get a good corner behind them. I am far from sold on Jack Williams - the hype around him reminds me of the constant irrational exuberance that followed Hixon.

Around offense, another OL can't hurt, but I would prefer that we keep bargin shopping on running backs as well. Torrian won't make a impact this year, and Pittman looks better then he did in Training Camp, but I still worry about him.

So I would start bundling picks to move up the draft - No reaches in the frirst two rounds, then go bargin hunting.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Shanny should foot that bill himself.

Houshyamama
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think we're completely against bringing in a big-time free agent. We did just bring in Robertson and while he's not a relatively high-priced player, I do think they understand you usually get what you pay for, if you're smart about it. I think this new-found concentration on the draft keeps us from having to reach for OVER priced free agents such as Deangelo Hall and Walker. Look at the Pats, they brought in Moss on the cheap because they are a winning franchise, they don't have to over-pay their players... like they would have with Branch if they didn't let him go. I think it is a careful balance that gets the job done.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Sounds great. The one snag in your theory Mike is that the Goodman's have proven no better at evaluating D-line talent than their predecessor was.

All those picks are worthless if you cant get the guys you need in the positions you need.

I dont advocate spending millions on a ****load of D-linemen in FA but I would think it would be prudent for this club to go and snag Peppers if he does in fact become available next year and then work on the rest of the line, MLB and safety through the draft.

yerner
09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I guess its good to resign guys. Free agents are worthless.

RhymesayersDU
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
True that.