PDA

View Full Version : Nate Webster Named the Starting MLB

hambone13
08-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Just heard on 104.3 The Fan, (so who knows how accurate it is) that Nate Webster has officially won the MLB spot. I don't know about the rest of you but I just see him over pursuing, not wrapping up and just flat out missing tackles....I'm a little concerned.

Kaylore
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Just heard on 104.3 The Fan, (so who knows how accurate it is) that Nate Webster has officially won the MLB spot. I don't know about the rest of you but I just see him over pursuing, not wrapping up and just flat out missing tackles....I'm a little concerned.

Niko would have had his own problems. The difference overall would be marginal regardless. Bronco fans just need to prepare themselves for that position to be below average and it won't get upgraded until next year via trade, draft or free agency.

Popps
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Eeek.

http://www.world-wide-art.com/art/va/printjpgs/s/cschulz/goodgrief.jpg

hambone13
08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Niko would have had his own problems. The difference overall would be marginal regardless. Bronco fans just need to prepare themselves for that position to be below average and it won't get upgraded until next year via trade, draft or free agency.

You're probably right but I just wonder whether Niko's problems wouldn't be less of a risk. At least he seems to know how to complete a tackle. Nate is always going to the big hit. I can think of at least 3 plays against the Pack that he just flat out missed and cost us the first down.

rovolution
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM

were they just reading the depth chart on the Broncos website?

Borks147
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
You're probably right but I just wonder whether Niko's problems wouldn't be less of a risk. At least he seems to know how to complete a tackle. Nate is always going to the big hit. I can think of at least 3 plays against the Pack that he just flat out missed and cost us the first down.

But I'm sure his flying helmet will nail an opposing player in the balls. Does that count for something?

TheDave
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

broncofan2438
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I like it

ColoradoDarin
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Bad either way right now, Webster really over pursues, badly, ending up out of position a lot. Niko is tentative and takes time to recognize plays developing, but he tackles very well. I would have rather gone with Niko because it seems like he just needs a bit more game time to correct his problem. Coaches must have seen something else. I really hope we draft Al Wilson 2 next year...

theAPAOps5
08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I anticipate Niko will see his chance to start at some point this year and not because of injury.

Don Flamenco
08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I really hope we draft Al Wilson 2 next year...

Terry Pierce!:thumbs:

rovolution
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
1st Round MLB in 2009 here we come!!!!

telluride
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Frankly, I think I'd rather have Niko and WWIII in there, along with DJ. Woodyard's motor beats even Websters, and at least Niko can tackle.

But, frankly, I suspect that that's were we'll end up by midseason. I just hope Webster's deficiencies don't cost us games.

bombay
08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Beyond Williams, the Broncos lack of talent/depth at linebacker is frightening. I see it as a bigger issue than the pass rushing problem.

hambone13
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Bad either way right now, Webster really over pursues, badly, ending up out of position a lot. Niko is tentative and takes time to recognize plays developing, but he tackles very well. I would have rather gone with Niko because it seems like he just needs a bit more game time to correct his problem. Coaches must have seen something else. I really hope we draft Al Wilson 2 next year...

I sorta feel that Niko has it in him to get over the tentativeness of a new team/system. I'd rather have solid tackling than the pure athleticism.

hambone13
08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
were they just reading the depth chart on the Broncos website?

Apparently Nate was told by Mike Shanahan today that he won the job.

telluride
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Beyond Williams, the Broncos lack of talent/depth at linebacker is frightening. I see it as a bigger issue than the pass rushing problem.

Don't forget, we also have this guy:

International Practice Squad
Number Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College How Acq.
56 Padilla, Manuel LB 6' 3" 245 24 Tec de Monterrey, Mexico NFL-'08

theAPAOps5
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Don't forget, we also have this guy:

International Practice Squad
Number Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College How Acq.
56 Padilla, Manuel LB 6' 3" 245 24 Tec de Monterrey, Mexico NFL-'08

This post is worthless without pictures. That unibrow never gets old!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/2008/padilla_manuel_mug08.jpg

Kaylore
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Terry Pierce!:thumbs:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3205/flomencott5.png

Popps
http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

LOL

Why doesn't it ever get old?

TheReverend
I sorta feel that Niko has it in him to get over the tentativeness of a new team/system. I'd rather have solid tackling than the pure athleticism.

Nate didn't win the job at a track meet he won it on the football field.

Barring an extremely poor series in the Dallas game, he's played WELL so far.

cmhargrove
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, let's get ready for some helmet popping hits and over-celebrations.

If Prater keeps kicking touchbacks, it will help compensate for some of Nate's missed tackles.

Broncosmang
08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow between Colbert and Niko it seems as if our two biggest free agent acquisitions are looking pretty weak. Anyone know if Niko's playin special teams? He'd better be as a back up. Maybe he can help to improve that unit.

Irish Stout
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
They also posted this story on Denverpost.com

I will put $10 on Woodyard being the starter by week 9.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Beats him starting on the strong side!

Br0nc0Buster
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I dont think Nate has been THAT bad. I think he will do ok this year, at least not suck is what I am saying.

If by some longshot Woodyard becomes the starter later on that would be nice. But next draft we are looking at DE and MLB.

bombay
08-25-2008, 06:35 PM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/2008/padilla_manuel_mug08.jpg

Now that... is awesome!

Broncosmang
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
They also posted this story on Denverpost.com

I will put $10 on Woodyard being the starter by week 9.

I see serious PT for him, but I cannot see him starting in the middle. He doesn't shed blocks well enough.

Bronco X
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Round MLB in 2009 here we come!!!!

We might as well start compiling the list of college prospects, free agents and trade bait... could be the single biggest hole on this team now.

Wouldn't mind seeing Woodyard snag the job later in the season. It'd be a good story at least...

PLOWHORSE
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Laurinaitis!!!

Tombstone RJ
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I bet Niko becomes the starter by game 4. It's gonna take him a little bit longer than TC and 4 preseason games to earn the starting spot. Nate is probably gonna wiff on one too many tackles and when Niko gets his chance, I bet he'll capitalize on it. There's an old saying in sports: "Its not who starts the game, but who finishes the game." (assuming its not a blow out game). Well in this instance I think it's gonna be "its not who starts the season, but who finishes the season."

I'd also like to see Larsen and Woodyard get a chance too.

But, we shall see...

Popps
08-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Beats him starting on the strong side!

This is worth people considering. Bumping him to the middle and moving DJ back over is major addition by subtraction.

Webster is going to be an average to below average MLB, but he was a bad OLB.

DJ was a bad MLB, he'll be an above average WIL.

Mountain Bronco
08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
DJ was not a bad MLB. He was average.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
DJ was not a bad MLB. He was average.

Yeah, no matter what i dont think you can say a guy who got 160 something tackles was bad

Atlas
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Webster really does deserve the spot. Niko just seems to slow. At least Webster brings lots of energy to the position and Niko is still a great special teams player so this is a pretty good situation.

Broncosmang
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Mike is Nate's natural position. I never really understood having two backers playing out of position last year. And I second the notion that you can't say a league leader in tackles was bad last year. A huge problem for our backers last year was the inability of the line to protect them from blockers.

Don Flamenco
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't think Nate will be that bad now that he is in his natural position. I remember a couple of years ago in camp he was talked about in good regards around here. One thing that bother me about him is he loses allot of that athleticism once the game wears on. I think this has something to do with his pre-game ritual of 1 shot of Grey Goose. Anywho, Niko hasn't really done anything this preseason to make me think he warrants all of peoples praises on here. We signed him hoping he would become our starter but the better guy won the job... for now

broncosteven
08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Wasn't Webster a high round if not 1st round pick at MLB by Bungles?

Typical Shanny 1st round bust reach guy. I hope he does well. Having to replace starters at MLB in mid season means there is trouble in River City.

Broncosmang
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Third rounder I believe.

broncosteven
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Third rounder I believe.

Rep, I thought it was higher than that. I should google before posting.

Sodak
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Who was the guy that came from SF?

Sodak
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Jamie Winborn. Wasn't he showing a flash once in a while? I thought his problem was staying healthy?...

LonghornBronco
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Jamie Winborn. Wasn't he showing a flash once in a while? I thought his problem was staying healthy?...

Yea was Winborn not coming on strong at the end of last season.... Why have we not heard his name?

Spider
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Interesting to say the least , but if our D line dominates the LOS ,no red flags going up , but if Webster has to carry the load , Ball control offense forcing other teams to throw alot is our only hope

Don Flamenco
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Yea was Winborn not coming on strong at the end of last season.... Why have we not heard his name?

because he plays on the weak side

Drek
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Wasn't Webster a high round if not 1st round pick at MLB by Bungles?

Typical Shanny 1st round bust reach guy. I hope he does well. Having to replace starters at MLB in mid season means there is trouble in River City.

Webster was a pretty solid player in the league until he tore his knee to shreds.

As for Winborn, he hasn't shown the consistency to win a starting job as of yet.

Our LB depth is ok, Winborn and Webster/Niko could all be average starters, and Woodyard has promise. The problem is we aren't real impressive at the top.

Dedhed
08-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I was on the fence about this battle, but I think I was leaning towards Niko. My take was that having a more fundamentally sound, if somewhat less physically gifted, Mike would free DJ up to take some chances and make more plays.

I also get the feeling that Niko brings more leadership to the position. While Nate brings a ton of energy, I have a hard time seeing him as a leader out there.

I guess in the end I'm willing to let things ride on Nate, but if I see that stupid crossed arms shrug celebration thing that he and DJ were trying pull off last year, I'll pray every night that he loses the job.

Los Broncos
08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Kind of scary with him at MLB.

broncosteven
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Kind of scary with him at MLB.

Who is this N00b Doom Crew72? Don't you know about the 100 post rule son?

WTF!

LOL

yerner
08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
well i guess it had to be webster. i've thought niko looks terrible. i'm really dissapointed in that signing. maybe he'll excel at special teams.

Ziggy
08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
It doesn't look good for the D in general this season. We're in for some shootouts.

(Jae)
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/462256.jpg

Victor
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Isn't he on a Geico commercial?

cutthemdown
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
so basically they are saying Niko is only a bkup just like in Seattle. Like I said it wasn't because he was behind a pro bowler. Once again people who know football said from the beginning this Niko guy isn't going to help.

If he can't beat out Webster he's borderline junk.

cutthemdown
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting to say the least , but if our D line dominates the LOS ,no red flags going up , but if Webster has to carry the load , Ball control offense forcing other teams to throw alot is our only hope

that might work except we don't hav any dominant Dlineman.

cutthemdown
08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
the good news is our offense looks really good. At least when we lose games it will probably be fun to watch. As in 35-31 45-38 lol. You never know though maybe the teams we play will be just as bad on offense as we are on defense.

We could win a few shootouts that before i figured we would lose. Cutler looks that good.

Spider
08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
that might work except we don't hav any dominant Dlineman.
you dont know that yet ......

HEAV
08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
NKO53 will be starting by mid season.

Cosmo
08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a hard time believing 104.3 The Fan, I'll personally wait until game 1 to find out who is starting.

Anaximines
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm happy with Clady but this is why I was really hoping we'd get to take Jerod Mayo.

Jason in LA
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, it's better than me playing MLB, so I should feel good about this... right? ;D

Hey, I'm just trying to find something to be excited about here.

theAPAOps5
08-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a hard time believing 104.3 The Fan, I'll personally wait until game 1 to find out who is starting.

Shanahan announced it at his press conference and they interviewed Nate Webster. Its real.

Inkana7
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Webster was a pretty solid player in the league until he tore his knee to shreds.

As for Winborn, he hasn't shown the consistency to win a starting job as of yet.

Our LB depth is ok, Winborn and Webster/Niko could all be average starters, and Woodyard has promise. The problem is we aren't real impressive at the top.

I actually think that Winborn has looked solid so far filling in for Bailey.

Cito Pelon
08-25-2008, 11:51 PM
It was interesting that DJ said back in minicamps he liked being the Mike and wanted to stay there. Dude has the green dot on his helmet all through the preseason. I was down on him early last year at Mike, but he came on strong at the end of the season. He ended up second in solo tackles, the only tackle stat that counts for a Mike, IMO. I remember early in the season he was down at about 6th or 7th in solo tackles, but he really came on strong in the last half of the season. Dude may be the best Mike on the team, but apparently the staff doesn't want him there.

bronco militia
08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/80s/images/2008/02/11/soulglo.jpg

Ziggy
08-26-2008, 12:06 AM
How about re-uniting DJ with his old running mate from Miami next season? Vilma will be an UFA and might be worth taking a shot on.

Broncosmang
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
How about re-uniting DJ with his old running mate from Miami next season? Vilma will be an UFA and might be worth taking a shot on.

A healthy Vilma, which is a big question mark at this point, would remind a lot of people of Al in his prime. I'd love it.

TallyBronco
08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Ugh. Major weakness. Webster will not only overpursue, he'll get pancaked by average-sized guards. Once again, get used to seeing big runs up the middle.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Ugh. Major weakness. Webster will not only overpursue, he'll get pancaked by average-sized guards. Once again, get used to seeing big runs up the middle.

While this might end up being true, this is not what has happened so far i nthe preseason. Not like last year when our run D was getting gashed. The teams that have driven on us have done it through the air and really against bland defenses with no blitzing, no press coverage....i dunno, im hoping the D can be middle of the pack this year, but i think scheme alone suggests the run d will be better this year and, so far, thats played out to be true

Hogan11
08-26-2008, 01:13 AM

Borderline? You're being wayyy too kind saying that.

BroncoBuff
08-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Are you sure you mean linebacker? I think we're deep as heck at LB. Three solid veteran backups (Green, Niko, Winborn), and three kids, all of whom can play (Woodyard, Larsen, Beck).

wolf754life
08-26-2008, 01:56 AM
not good, not good at all. this team has no steel in its front 7, soft as charmin

BroncoDoug
08-26-2008, 02:35 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/462256.jpg

Oh please dear sweet lord of jesus please!!! :pray:

cutthemdown
08-26-2008, 02:42 AM
you dont know that yet ......

Doom and Thomas aren't really dominating types but I think with other good players they could do well. Engleberger makes all the other dlineman worst because he's that useless. Ekuban doesn't look the same.

So I guess you are thinking maybe Robertson the new guy from Jets. Maybe I just don't see the Dline being a strength. Right now its a weak spot just like the backers and the safetys.

cutthemdown
08-26-2008, 02:48 AM
not good, not good at all. this team has no steel in its front 7, soft as charmin

You and I have probably been most critical of the team. I have to say though that the oline and the offense are looking better then I expected. It's possible Broncos can outscore all but the really good teams.

Even though defense is as bad as I feared the offense is looking that much better. I think Broncos heading in the right direction but they need to get defensive, because it's offensive.

TotallyScrewed
08-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Shannihan is a motivator. I'm sure he's not interested in paying 7.5M for a "special teams ace". Niko may become a final cut if he doesn't show something real soon.

I agree that outside of DJ, the linebacking corp doesn't have anything above average...but average is what everyone's hoping for...right?

I just see an average defense and hopefully that's enough with how the rest of the team plays. Besides if Wolf hates it, it must be good.

Spider
08-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Doom and Thomas aren't really dominating types but I think with other good players they could do well. Engleberger makes all the other dlineman worst because he's that useless. Ekuban doesn't look the same.

So I guess you are thinking maybe Robertson the new guy from Jets. Maybe I just don't see the Dline being a strength. Right now its a weak spot just like the backers and the safetys.

No what I am saying s , in preseason you havent seen stunts , blitz packages etc , you just saw vanilla no real attacking of anything ......
it takes about 4 weeks into the regular season to see where you are at on both sides of the ball , to make a statement off the 3 rd game in preseason in way to premature ........ i am not saying they will be dominate etc ....all I ma saying is letssee the entire package before we call them good or bad

maher_tyler
08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I was on the fence about this battle, but I think I was leaning towards Niko. My take was that having a more fundamentally sound, if somewhat less physically gifted, Mike would free DJ up to take some chances and make more plays.

I also get the feeling that Niko brings more leadership to the position. While Nate brings a ton of energy, I have a hard time seeing him as a leader out there.

I guess in the end I'm willing to let things ride on Nate, but if I see that stupid crossed arms shrug celebration thing that he and DJ were trying pull off last year, I'll pray every night that he loses the job.

Yea it was definitely dumb as hell!!

cmhargrove
08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I think we're going to do ok with Nate - some hits, some misses. The problem is, he is a stop gap and we want the future.

I am not so worried about getting "gashed up the middle" this year. Our team is starting to "sell out" to the run.

I am a little more worried about our LB and Safeties in the short and mid pass coverage. That's where we will probably give some games away. I'm sick of seeing gifted Tight Ends gash us on short and intermediate routes.

I think we have definitely improved our D from last year. It should be good for at least two more wins that shouldn't have been close. And, it should keep us from getting blown out as badly as last year by teams like SD. I don't know if we will beat them this year, but it shouldn't be 41-3.

BroncoInferno
08-26-2008, 10:24 AM
For all the doom and gloom going around, the fact is that Nate has had a very solid preseason and has not played badly at all.

Play2win
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I think, no matter what, Webster is going to be better than DJ at MLB, DJ will be better than Gold at WLB, and whoever is going to be better than Webster at SLB.

BlaK-Argentina
08-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I think, no matter what, Webster is going to be better than DJ at MLB, DJ will be better than Gold at WLB, and whoever is going to be better than Webster at SLB.

I agree. Plus, Webster brings some fire and enthusiasm to the defense and that's not a bad thing. Niko hasn't shown he is up to the job and at least we know what we have in Webster. I'm sure this is a one year thing (well I hope so)... this season is on the offense anyway. The defense won't be winning any games, I just hope they don't lose them, like last year.

Play2win
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping on a MLB in the first round of the draft next year. Hopefully Rey-Rey out of USC :thumbsup:

jonny1
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Boy, it seems like the doom and gloom crowd did not watch a single play of the preseason . . . .

This defense, with vanilla schemes, went up against 2 13 win teams, and did NOT get blown out, unlike last year, and basically won the first team vs. first team segments.

Geez, let's at least see how the season starts, with game planning, before making such blanket statements as, "the defense is going to be terrible."

BlaK-Argentina
08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Boy, it seems like the doom and gloom crowd did not watch a single play of the preseason . . . .

This defense, with vanilla schemes, went up against 2 13 win teams, and did NOT get blown out, unlike last year, and basically won the first team vs. first team segments.

Geez, let's at least see how the season starts, with game planning, before making such blanket statements as, "the defense is going to be terrible."

They didn't look too hot against GB. Those offenses were vanilla too.
We'll see, if they can be just average, we will win a lot of games with this offense. 8')

gyldenlove
08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Thank Foneco the 2009 draft is super strong for MLB.

If Webster starts more than 6 games at MLB, what are the odds his helmet will fly off AND injure someone seriously?

gyldenlove
08-26-2008, 11:21 AM

The only thing with Webster is his tackling, I am just not sold on a MLB who has about the same odds of making any given tackle as a pocket pair of deuces holding up to AK.

jonny1
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
They didn't look too hot against GB. Those offenses were vanilla too.
We'll see, if they can be just average, we will win a lot of games with this offense. 8')

After the first GB drive, they held them in check, two field goals.

Yes, the offenses were vanilla, that's the point. It's player against player in vanilla schemes, and last year, they were getting blown up, this year they weren't.

So if they can improve to being a middle of the road defense, and the offense plays like it is looking like it will, then they can make the playoffs. Do I think they are a Super Bowl team, no. Not this year, but the window is opening for a good solid run in the next 5 years.

Inkana7
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
This rush defense has actually been, dare I say, good, this preseason. Especially compared to last year. And Nate's been in the middle for most of the preseason with the 1s.

Inkana7
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0826/20080826__BroncosWebster082608%7Ep1.jpg

TotallyScrewed
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Vanilla defense doesn't mean poor tackling tech. Nate's pretty long in the tooth to learn to tackle.

TallyBronco
08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

I watched every play last season and I know what we've got in Webster. He's a 2nd teamer on any championship defense.

And yes, that dumba$$ shoulder shrug celebration needs to go. These chumps pull that sh*t out when a RB just put 7 yards on them. Absolutely clueless. When I see that poser garbage going on, I know their heads are not in the game.

wolf754life
08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
nice play on the words cut

skpac1001
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0826/20080826__BroncosWebster082608%7Ep1.jpg

awwww he's hugging the football!

This picture makes me really want us to somehow draft Rey to redeem our MLB intimidation factor.

TheReverend
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
"people who know football"?! I hope you're not talking about this board, because the group-think here that says Nate sucks is just wrong. Similar to an Gold, the rigid conformity of negative opinion on Nate Webster is (embarrassingly) contradicted by Mike Shanahan. Ask yourself this: Who on this board likes Webste? Who on this board liked Gold? Personally, I thought Gold kinda sucked, but I was more than willing to trust that Shanahan knew more than me. I wish this board would take that approach toward Nate. It's fine that you don't personally like him, but don't act like Shanahan is an idiot or something because he doesn't agree with you.

That said, where did I read recently that the players loved Niko, and he was a confident, vocal leader?

Why must you always delete your own post and then repost the same thing one minute later?

And plenty of people supported Gold and support Nate. He had an extremely poor series vs Dallas (honestly it looked like he was on acid for a string of three plays), but played well every other time this preseason.

BroncoBuff
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
so basically they are saying Niko is only a bkup just like in Seattle. Like I said it wasn't because he was behind a pro bowler. Once again people who know football said from the beginning this Niko guy isn't going to help.
"People who know football"? I hope you're not talking about this board, because the group-think here that says Nate sucks is just wrong. Similar to Ian Gold, the rigid conformity of negative opinion on Webster is contradicted (embarassingly) again and again by Mike Shanahan. Ask yourself this: Who on this board likes Webste? Who on this board liked Gold? Personally, I thought Gold kinda sucked, but I was more than willing to trust that Shanahan knew more than me. I wish this board would take that approach toward Nate. It's fine that you don't personally like him, but don't act like Shanahan is an idiot or something because he doesn't agree with you.

That said, where did I read recently that the players loved Niko, and he was a confident, vocal leader?

Popps
08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I think we're going to do ok with Nate - some hits, some misses. The problem is, he is a stop gap and we want the future..

I also think some competition would have been nice, either through a draft pick like you said... or even a guy like Spikes.

I don't know, I still think the majority of our problem will come from the edges of our DL. Robertson is going to make Thomas' job easier, and that's all going to make Webster's job easier.

I'm actually of the belief that our run defense couldn't get much worse. Hence, it should improve slightly. But, I'm still very concerned about our pass D. We need big strides from Moss/Crowder, and the jury is still way out on those guys. That leaves us with a 3rd string caliber starter on one side, and an undersized pass-rush specialist on the other.

TotallyScrewed
08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I still think Shanny is pushing Niko.

BroncoBuff
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Why must you always delete your own post and then repost the same thing one minute later?
Sorry ... bad typist, misspelled too many words (and I have OCD about that orange line that says "Post edited at 8/26/2008 at 10:23 a.m.")

What do you mean plenty of people supported Ian Gold and Nate? SoCal is a completely unrepentant fanatic for the 'U' and all its progeny ... and yet he disowns Nate ???

PRBronco
08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Just havin some fun :P

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6581/motivator3201319zk1.jpg

Popps
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that Niko looks a little slow and clunky. I'm a little surprised this is the guy we laser-locked on in the off-season and the fact that Webster is running with the first squad tells you what the staff currently thinks about him.

Again, something just seems wrong with the way we evaluate defensive talent.

BroncoBuff
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
In free agency, there are market forces for guys, and the prices are high for the good ones, so I nderstand they can't hit a home run every time.

But the draft, I agree with you there. There's no bidding or market forces at work ... every team starts from scratch in the draft. Which makes Moss and Crowder seem like that, thusfar anyway - mistakes in evaluating talent.

Play2win
08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Really I wouldn't mind if we gave our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get Rey.

Cito Pelon
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I think we're going to do ok with Nate - some hits, some misses. The problem is, he is a stop gap and we want the future.

I am not so worried about getting "gashed up the middle" this year. Our team is starting to "sell out" to the run.

I am a little more worried about our LB and Safeties in the short and mid pass coverage. That's where we will probably give some games away. I'm sick of seeing gifted Tight Ends gash us on short and intermediate routes.

I think we have definitely improved our D from last year. It should be good for at least two more wins that shouldn't have been close. And, it should keep us from getting blown out as badly as last year by teams like SD. I don't know if we will beat them this year, but it shouldn't be 41-3.

Yeah, I agree with all that. When you're camping a S out a yard behind the LOS on running downs that naturally leaves the middle of the field less protected. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of deal that I hope won't constantly be biting the D in the ass. And yeah, I think the D is improved over last year. What I'd like to see and this is something Denver's LB's and S's haven't accomplished for many a year is GET SOME DAMN INT's!

BroncoBuff
08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Another reason to mellow out with the Webster-worries ... it looks like the Mike will come off the field on passing downs this year. At least that's the plan when Boss plays.

gyldenlove
08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Another reason to mellow out with the Webster-worries ... it looks like the Mike will come off the field on passing downs this year. At least that's the plan when Boss plays.

I haven't even begun to worry about passing plays yet, I am more worried about Websters tackling on run plays for now.

Broncosmang
08-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Even with Winborn in there, I'd think Nate comes out in nickel situations

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 06:52 PM
sad day... bump

Lev Vyvanse
03-29-2010, 06:53 PM
sad day... bump

Trying to get banned?

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Trying to get banned?

Banned? lol so people can insult each other to death but when I bump some threads to prove a point - you're telling me I can get banneD? :thumbs:

ColoradoDarin
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey, not bad in hindsight :)

These are fun, keep bumping.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey, not bad in hindsight :)

These are fun, keep bumping.

at the request of others... :chairhit:

Cito Pelon
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned? lol so people can insult each other to death but when I bump some threads to prove a point - you're telling me I can get banneD? :thumbs:

I got banned a couple years ago for "bump-spamming" the board right around this time, just before the draft. Banned for two weeks. I'd still like to know which of the mods banned me.

Bumping is ok with me, I like to look back at what I said and learn from it.

watermock
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank Foneco the 2009 draft is super strong for MLB.

If Webster starts more than 6 games at MLB, what are the odds his helmet will fly off AND injure someone seriously?

Gawd that '08 defense was puke.

baja
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
This is so 2008... ;D

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
this is so 2008... ;d

lol

Lev Vyvanse
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes, thats what I'm saying.

cutthemdown
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
"People who know football"? I hope you're not talking about this board, because the group-think here that says Nate sucks is just wrong. Similar to Ian Gold, the rigid conformity of negative opinion on Webster is contradicted (embarassingly) again and again by Mike Shanahan. Ask yourself this: Who on this board likes Webste? Who on this board liked Gold? Personally, I thought Gold kinda sucked, but I was more than willing to trust that Shanahan knew more than me. I wish this board would take that approach toward Nate. It's fine that you don't personally like him, but don't act like Shanahan is an idiot or something because he doesn't agree with you.

Oh what a difference a few years make. Are any of those 3 even playing anymore?

Popps
03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that Niko looks a little slow and clunky. I'm a little surprised this is the guy we laser-locked on in the off-season and the fact that Webster is running with the first squad tells you what the staff currently thinks about him.

Wow, I only had to spend 10 seasons saying that before we did something about it.

baja
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Props to you popps you were right about the DL all along