PDA

View Full Version : Greatest pair of 4th round picks in NFL history: Marshall and Dummervil?

bronco0608
08-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Can anyone recall a team drafting two studs in the 4th round in the same year like Dummervil and Marshall? And at prime positions no less. Dominik Hixon was also selected in the 4th round and he is turning out to be a quality return man.

Considering our draft history, that is an absolutely astounding accomplishment.

Atwater His Ass
08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Way too early to make a claim like that.

scttgrd
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Maybe a bit early, but it makes for a good conversation. At least for now. Two damn steals in the second day. Not a bad deal.

socalorado
08-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Can anyone recall a team drafting two studs in the 4th round in the same year like Dummervil and Marshall? And at prime positions no less. Dominik Hixon was also selected in the 4th round and he is turning out to be a quality return man.

Hey. Check out the redraft grades at Walter football.
Alot of teams got high grades that year.
2006 was one of the most productive years ever for NFL talent.
And we dont even have Javon "get me my" Walker here anymore.

Grade given on 5/1/06: A+
Grade given on 7/3/07: A+
Good Moves: The Broncos made great selections during every stage of the draft. They traded up from No. 15 to No. 11 to secure quarterback Jay Cutler, who should be able to take over the starting gig by 2007. By making this move, Mike Shanahan finally conceded that it would take a miracle for Jake Plummer to take them to the Promised Land.

When Cutler becomes the starting signal caller, he will have plenty of weapons at his disposal. Shanahan traded for Javon Walker, and drafted receivers Brandon Marshall and Domenik Hixon, and tight end Tony Scheffler. One of the top selections of the entire draft came in the seventh round when the Broncos picked Greg Eslinger, a second-round prospect. Eslinger will be a staple on Denver's offensive line for years to come.

Bad Moves: I don't think defensive end Elvis Dumervil is a good pro prospect, but he was a fourth-round gamble. I say it's worth it.

July 3, 2007 Update: As I mentioned in my 2007 Quarterback Rankings, the Broncos were 2-3 when Jay Cutler started, scoring an average of 24.8 points in those contests. Despite his Spock-like haircut, Cutler looks like he'll turn out to be a solid pro. ... Tight end Tony Scheffler (2nd round) played well when Cutler was under center. ... Brandon Marshall (4th) was the No. 3 wide out last year, notching 20 receptions. ... Looks like I was wrong about Elvis Dumervil (4th); he led the team with 8.5 sacks in 2006. ... All other picks are still on the team, although Domenik Hixon (4th) looks like a waste. ... Don't forget that one of Denver's selections was used to acquire Javon Walker. I think that worked out pretty well.

Instant 2006 Starters: WR Javon Walker, TE Tony Scheffler.
Potential 2006 Starters: QB Jay Cutler.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2006G.php

Killericon
08-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Eslinger will be a staple on Denver's offensive line for years to come.

That's what I thought, too. :(

Bob's your Information Minister
08-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Neither are studs at this point. One good player and one decent player.

Kaylore
08-15-2008, 11:58 PM
That's what I thought, too. :(

You take one look at him and you know he'll never play in the pros.

BlaK-Argentina
08-15-2008, 11:58 PM

:rofl: That's a good one Bob, but more like one great player and one very good player.

bronco0608
10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm still standing by what I said a year ago.

Greatest 4th round in NFL history.

TDmvp
10-10-2009, 07:27 PM
yea Shanny sucked at drafting ...laf ...

Doggcow
10-10-2009, 07:32 PM

We could have had ED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

bronco0608
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM

No he did suck at drafting. He was atrocious.

But a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Broncos did better drafting last couple yrs that is for sure.

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

If they are only decent and good, then your whole team is crap on defense without one decent player.

Rocket 7
10-10-2009, 07:53 PM
We could have had ED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

My biggest problem is we drafted John Mobley at LB at 15 when we could of had Ray Lewis

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 07:55 PM
My biggest problem is we drafted John Mobley at LB at 15 when we could of had Ray Lewis

Well Mobley made plays in the Superbowl so I don't worry about that one too much. But Ray Lewis would have been something.

Man-Goblin
10-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Uhhhhhh, out of all the teams that have had 2 picks in the 4th round, yes, it's one of the best.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-10-2009, 08:02 PM

You posted this after a 100+ catch and 13.5 sack 2nd season from both, your idiocy when it comes to football related insight knows no bounds.

maher_tyler
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
:rofl: That's a good one Bob, but more like one great player and one very good player.

Put him on ignore...the dude is the definition of a troll. I really wish people would quit quoting this ass clown!!

maher_tyler
10-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Mobley was pretty good until he got hurt!

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:26 AM

Mobley was an awesome LB until injury killed his career. it wasn't like we drafted some scrub when Lewis was on the board.

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:28 AM

why are so many incapable of spelling Dumervil's name right? he is tied for league lead in sacks, has been in Denver now 4 seasons, and our pass rush has been dependent on him his entire career?