PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have little experience at punter or kicker

dragondawg
07-09-2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/englewood_38020___article.html/experience_kicker.html

CHANGSTER
07-09-2008, 03:03 AM
ROFL! thats the actually article title.

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/captain-obvious.jpg

CHANGSTER
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Actually an OK article. Not too worried about punter, I think we'll be ok there..

I really hope Prater wins the kicking job, from what I hear he has superior leg strength compared to Hartley. But really, at this point, I'll take whoever isn't a head case.

wolf754life
07-09-2008, 03:23 AM
wow, we have the worst kicking game in the nfl....

very depressing........

FireFly
07-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I'm actually quite concerned about the field goal kicking. I can see a couple of early misses and Shanahan sitting them all and saying:

"Stuff it! I'm done with special teams! 4th and 15? I don't care, we're going for it!"

CoopDawg
07-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Just dont kick to Hester again . . . thank goodness we dont play da Bears this year.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-09-2008, 06:46 AM
http://www.qualsiasi.net/images/articles/CptObvious_1_original.jpg

TheReverend
07-09-2008, 06:57 AM
A
N
U
B
I
S

Hogan11
07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Personally, I think we're gonna be alright in this dept. and, for the record, I love how they turned around and gave the #1 right back out to a backup punter.

bronco militia
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Just dont kick to Hester again . . . thank goodness we dont play da Bears this year.

FYI: after all that, our defense still blew a 14 point lead

Crushaholic
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
FYI: after all that, our defense still blew a 14 point lead

Yes. It's amazing people want to ignore that fact. Hester did not beat us...

rugbythug
07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes. It's amazing people want to ignore that fact. Hester did not beat us...

UMM he did score 14 points in a 3 point game. So I would say he had more to do with it than say Cedric Benson. A game is more than the last 2 minutes.

Inkana7
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
UMM he did score 14 points in a 3 point game. So I would say he had more to do with it than say Cedric Benson. A game is more than the last 2 minutes.

But it is decided in it.

Kaylore
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I love how they turned around and gave the #1 right back out to a backup punter.

I don't understand this sentence.

I'm rooter for Prater and Kern. Kern looks good in this video I posted earlier.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZV4UMsBkyc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZV4UMsBkyc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncofan2438
07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I think we will be ok here as well, it will all fall into place shortly

cmhargrove
07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
And your point is....?

I know this is an important part of the game but:

1. If we can increase the number of touchbacks, it will be awesome. We have the chance to do that with wither of these new guys.
2. We will miss Elam, but Jason isn't the reason we missed the playoffs. Run defense is much more important than our field goal percentage.
3. Our ST return/coverage units should both improve. I think the consensus is we expect about three TD's from Royal this year on ST (punts and kicks). Even if he can just help get us away from our goal line, it will be huge for Jay and the offense (which helps rest the run defense). Another big plus.
4. Our FG percentage should surely drop off, but punting could actually improve.

I think with the pluses and minuses on ST, you would have to call our trade offs even. Unless Royal is the next stud returner.

I'll miss Elam, but having another spot on the active roster will also be nice. Now that we don't need a third kicker, we might be able to use a trick pony like Aldridge. Or, maybe Hillis gets more play time. Or, another ST hammer like Larsen. The extra roster spot could really help us.

kmonty
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I've earned a newfound appreciation of kickers and punters from reading A Few Seconds of Panic.

Also a newfound appreciation of Todd Sauerbrun's talents. Dude was an asshole though.

DenverBrit
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
The last time the Broncos had a full-time punter or kicker with so little experience was 15 years ago, when Jason Elam was a rookie kicker and punter Tom Rouen made his NFL debut.

Anyone recall how their first season went??

If the current batch are nearly as good. :thumbsup:

cutthemdown
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
wow, we have the worst kicking game in the nfl....

very depressing........

It won't matter because Broncos aren't a playoff team. Kicking game only becomes super important when your ready to compete for Superbowl.

Broncos are no where near Patriots/Colts/Chargers/Jaguars so I doubt missing a few FG is going to matter.

DarkHorse30
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
And your point is....?

I know this is an important part of the game but:

1. If we can increase the number of touchbacks, it will be awesome. We have the chance to do that with wither of these new guys.
2. We will miss Elam, but Jason isn't the reason we missed the playoffs. Run defense is much more important than our field goal percentage.
3. Our ST return/coverage units should both improve. I think the consensus is we expect about three TD's from Royal this year on ST (punts and kicks). Even if he can just help get us away from our goal line, it will be huge for Jay and the offense (which helps rest the run defense). Another big plus.
4. Our FG percentage should surely drop off, but punting could actually improve.

I think with the pluses and minuses on ST, you would have to call our trade offs even. Unless Royal is the next stud returner.

I'll miss Elam, but having another spot on the active roster will also be nice. Now that we don't need a third kicker, we might be able to use a trick pony like Aldridge. Or, maybe Hillis gets more play time. Or, another ST hammer like Larsen. The extra roster spot could really help us.

Agreed. I hated that Elam was so weak on kickoffs....yet had an ironleg for long figgies. I like that Saurbrun was gone. NO PUNTER should ever be a headline....EVER.

Also, I think it is good that the offense is going to be forced into the idea of getting INTO the endzone, rather than letting Elam play the biggest role of the game.

kmonty
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Hartley has some more-than-decent stats. With his leg strength, I'm actually not all that worried.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=161713

Played hurt last year too, according to a Sooners blog

Eldorado
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Punt & kick coverage and blocking are where we can make the biggest difference on special teams.

telluride
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Did I mention that I wish we had drafted Crosby? Because if not, I can again.

Eldorado
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Ill second that.

Beantown Bronco
07-09-2008, 03:49 PM

You mean the guy who was 25th in the league in field goal percentage last season? The same guy who was 28th in the league in percentage of kicks from 40-49 yards, where NFL kickers make their money?

I'm so sick of hearing about him. OVERRATED.

broncocalijohn
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Anyone recall how their first season went??

If the current batch are nearly as good. :thumbsup:

Jason Elam missed the game winning field goal to knock out the Raiders from the playoffs and we would have been division champs. Instead, we got to be a wild card team with the Raiders and the following week, we were back in the LA Coliseum getting our A$$es handed to us by the Faiders. Is that the experience you were looking for? ST makes a huge difference and we took a step back for the following year. I just hope we dont have to depend on our PK to win or tie games.

DenverBrit
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Jason Elam missed the game winning field goal to knock out the Raiders from the playoffs and we would have been division champs. Instead, we got to be a wild card team with the Raiders and the following week, we were back in the LA Coliseum getting our A$$es handed to us by the Faiders. Is that the experience you were looking for? ST makes a huge difference and we took a step back for the following year. I just hope we dont have to depend on our PK to win or tie games.

My post was badly worded.
I was curious about Elam's first season, I didn't recall it.
I wasn't hoping that the current group would emulate it, but be in the same class over the long haul.
I'm sure if they don't prove themselves early and often, we'll see a lot of 4th down attempts.

telluride
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
You mean the guy who was 25th in the league in field goal percentage last season? The same guy who was 28th in the league in percentage of kicks from 40-49 yards, where NFL kickers make their money?

I'm so sick of hearing about him. OVERRATED.

I mean the guy that led the league in scoring last year. As a rookie. With 141 points. Beating the second place Randy Moss by three points.

That guy.

Inkana7
07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I mean the guy that led the league in scoring last year. As a rookie. With 141 points. Beating the second place Randy Moss by three points.

That guy.

The Packers were top 5, I think, in scoring last year. High powered offenses = lots of points for kickers. Look at Nick Folk.

wolf754life
07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
these guys are probably the best kickers in the league.......

i mean if mike the all great and all knowing shannarat has deemed them to be worthy than surely they are!

Eldorado
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
tard.

Hogan11
07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't understand this sentence.

There is no reverence for Jason Elam's old number.

Popps
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
The PK situation is a little unsettling. I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in some retread vet to at least compete in camp. Weren't we poking around at Olindo Mare?

Dr. Broncenstein
07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
The PK situation is a little unsettling. I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in some retread vet to at least compete in camp. Weren't we poking around at Olindo Mare?

He signed with Seattle. You know, the place that actually puts forth the effort to sign the guys we need. But hey, who needs Kerney and Mare when you have Graham and Henry?

Florida_Bronco
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM

Weren't you the one who basically said "**** him" because he decided to follow the money to Atlanta? ???

Beantown Bronco
07-10-2008, 08:18 AM

That guy.

You do realize that 99% of the time, kickers lead the league in scoring. It's not unusual at all.

AND Crosby was #1 in the league last year in fg attempts and #4 in extra point attempts. Both factored into his total points obviously.

His percentage of fgs made was not impressive in the least. Sorry.

Hogan11
07-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Weren't you the one who basically said "**** him" because he decided to follow the money to Atlanta? ???

Yes, for that and other reasons....make no mistake, I wasn't complaining because they gave his number right out to a rook..I was happy they did so.
Now the team can get that "all in one" PK that they've lacked for years and free up that roster spot for another position where depth is sorely needed.

maher_tyler
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM

we do play the browns though...Cribbs if you didn't know!!

Kaylore
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM

OH! You meant his jersey number! That is kind of sad...

TheReverend
02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Kicker threads are funny