PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut Travis Henry!

Pages : [1] 2

montrose
06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Per a text message from the Denver Broncos

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
not surprised

Master___Pain
06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Looks like RB will be a position of need (more so) for next offseason

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Awesome.:notworthy

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/013000/Super_Bowl_Trophy.jpg

55CrushEm
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
While I understand that he eventually may not have made the team.....I just don't understand the TIMING of this cut.....

Fusionfrontman
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I don;t think I really like this move...wjhile I not a big fan of Henry, who is going to carry the load when Mike said Selvin isnt an every down back? hmm

BroncoInferno
06-02-2008, 12:15 PM
While I understand that he eventually may not have made the team.....I just don't understand the TIMING of this cut.....

After June 1 you get to spread the cap hit over two seasons, so the timing makes perfect sense.

Shanny and Turner must have liked what they saw from the other backs in camp.

bronco militia
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8089ec54&template=without-video&confirm=true

News Main E-mail

Posted: 3 minutes ago
Broncos release RB Henry
Denver Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos released running back Travis Henry, the team announced on Monday.

"Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl," head coach Mike Shanahan said. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

Henry was signed by the Broncos as a free agent on March 5, 2007, and rushed for 691 yards on 167 carries (4.1 avg.) with four touchdowns in 12 games (seven starts) during his only season with the club. Before joining the Broncos, the eighth-year player spent two seasons (2005-06) with Tennessee after beginning his career with Buffalo (2001-04).

cutthemdown
Broncos for last few years have had no sanity to the timing of the cuts and have made some wierd moves. They really seem to not have a good plan in Denver right now when it comes to what they want to do. Seems like the plan changes at any time and they go in a different direction.

Here's to making it through a really long year where we probably don't win more then 6-7 games.

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I don;t think I really like this move...wjhile I not a big fan of Henry, who is going to carry the load when Mike said Selvin isnt an every down back? hmm

They are going to go committee. Between Young, Pittman, Hall, Torain and Sapp, I have trouble believing we can't find two guys there that we can use regularly.

55CrushEm
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
After June 1 you get to spread the cap hit over two seasons, so the timing makes perfect sense.

I understand that. But couldn't they have cut him weeks ago, and still DESIGNATED him as a post-June 1 cut anyway?

I just figured they'd keep him around to compete....

Northman
Who's going to carry the load? Henry spent just as much time on the sideline as Young or anyone else. From what im hearing he wasnt dedicating himself enough to the team and was cut as a result of it. Im not shocked at all by this. Broncos are getting fed up with these types of players and are giving them the axe. Bout time.

cutthemdown

dude they haven't even started hitting full speed yet in camp what could have they seen. This is the weakest Broncos have been at RB in many years.

BroncoInferno
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Broncos for last few years have had no sanity to the timing of the cuts and have made some wierd moves. They really seem to not have a good plan in Denver right now when it comes to what they want to do. Seems like the plan changes at any time and they go in a different direction.

Here's to making it through a really long year where we probably don't win more then 6-7 games.

Again, the timing makes perfect sense as you get to spread out the cap hit over two seasons if you wait until June 1 to make the cut.

montrose
So who stays?

Selvin Young
Michael Pittman
Andre Hall
Mike Bell
Ryan Torain
Cecil Sapp
Peyton Hillis

cutthemdown
Who's going to carry the load? Henry spent just as much time on the sideline as Young or anyone else. From what im hearing he wasnt dedicating himself enough to the team and was cut as a result of it. Im not shocked at all by this. Broncos are getting fed up with these types of players and are giving them the axe. Bout time.

it's hard to figure what the Broncos thinking is. They say it's about character then sign a guy like Pittman?

BroncoInferno
06-02-2008, 12:19 PM
dude they haven't even started hitting full speed yet in camp what could have they seen. This is the weakest Broncos have been at RB in many years.

People have said that in years past. Someone productive always emerges. Just because you don't know any of the names (yet) means very little.

dbfan21
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
They are going to go committee. Between Young, Pittman, Hall, Torain and Sapp, I have trouble believing we can't find two guys there that we can use regularly.

I agree with you on their thoguhts. I am surprised thought that the cut comes now instead of during or after TC. He must have been really slicking in the offseason workouts to warrant a cut and the nature of Shanny's comments. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

While disappointed that Henry got cut, I like Mike's intensity and his "No BS" attitude. Hopefully, this approach will pay big dividends in the coming years.

Go Broncos!!

cutthemdown
So who stays?

Selvin Young
Michael Pittman
Andre Hall
Mike Bell
Ryan Torain
Cecil Sapp
Peyton Hillis

what a crappy group.

Selvin Young- too small
Michael Pittman-too old
Andre Hall-too small
Mike Bell- too slow
Ryan Torain- who knows
Cecil Sapp- is avg
Peyton Hillis[/QUOTE]- is a fb and doesn't help at rb

Northman
it's hard to figure what the Broncos thinking is. They say it's about character then sign a guy like Pittman?

What has Pittman done?

Bronco Jamus
I understand that. But couldn't they have cut him weeks ago, and still DESIGNATED him as a post-June 1 cut anyway?

I believe the new CBA allows for this.

SBboundBroncos
06-02-2008, 12:21 PM

other than the one count of roid rage what else has pittman done

Ratboy
06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Awesome move!

randomtask
Sweet.

cutthemdown
People have said that in years past. Someone productive always emerges. Just because you don't know any of the names (yet) means very little.

we have said that for last few years now but really the running games has not been up to Broncos standards for a few years now. I guess history is something Bronco fans are starting to cling to because the present isn't looking so good. I for one don't see much from this group of RBS unless the rookie is really good and that's a big if.

24champ
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Torain must have impressed, though maybe I am reading too much into it.

I am hoping Torain picks it up and stays healthy, he will be a beast.

55CrushEm
06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
I believe the new CBA allows for this.

That's what I thought.....so if they wanted to cut him for the "cap spread" reason, it just doesn't make sense to me, as they could have done this weeks ago (I think you can designate up to 2 players as post-June 1 cuts and still cut them before that date)......

And the other things that bothers me about this move....is that Henry was still the league's leading rusher for the first month of the season last year (i.e. when he was healthy).......

Northman
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
we have said that for last few years now but really the running games has not been up to Broncos standards for a few years now. I guess history is something Bronco fans are starting to cling to because the present isn't looking so good. I for one don't see much from this group of RBS unless the rookie is really good and that's a big if.

What has Pittman done?

Mountain Bronco
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
If Young is really up to 212 and benching 350 six times, he is no longer too small.

That is a really deep field of backs IMO. I am so glad not to have to cheer for a creep like Henry anymore. The nine kids, nine moms thing really got to me. I could care less about the marijuana though.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Yeah, cause Shanahan has never used to media as a tool to motivate a player. He even recently amended this statement when Selvin showed up to camp with 10 pounds more of muscle.

This move is hardly shocking to me. It seems like Torain might be able to do a similar thing (a more powerful running option) for a fraction of the cost.

JunkyardWillie
06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
other than the one count of roid rage what else has pittman done

If by roid rage you mean he crashed his car into his wife's car and then pushed his wife's car up onto the median. He topped that off by trying to hit her with his car as she got out of her car.

Bronco Jamus
06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
I certainly don't think we are weak at halfback. It should be a bunch of fun.

Bronco Jamus
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
What has Pittman done?

Won a Super Bowl with the Bucs

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
What has Pittman done?

besides ram his car into a car with his own baby in it not much. I guess I am one of those people that only needs to see one incident like that to know the dude is a POS. Funny because if someone says one thing around here people find offensive they will never forget or forgive, but when it comes to a thug that would purposely crash his car into another vehicle carrying his wife and kid they can.

Northman
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
If by roid rage you mean he crashed his car into his wife's car and then pushed his wife's car up onto the median. He topped that off by trying to hit her with his car as she got out of her car.

All that happened in 2003. What has he done the last couple of years? Anything?

RaiderH8r
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM

You can't honestly hold that against the guy. I mean who hasn't done that? Now, if his kid was in the car at the time then that might be something to get upset over. But seriously, car ramming and running wives over is just the normal course of a healthy marriage. Rae Carruth took it too far man, too far.

/end sarcasm/

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 12:35 PM
RB is the last positon to worry about for Broncos fans.....

cutthemdown

All this with his baby in the mothers car also. He's a friggin tool I just hope he can still run the football because Broncos are the weakest at RB they have been in a long time. Last yr I looked at oline and said wow this group really stinks. This year it's the rbs.

cutthemdown
RB is the last positon to worry about for Broncos fans.....

really because if you watch football you would know last year RB was a big problem.

JanaŽ
Wow.

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM

I understand what he got into trouble for. But aren't we talking about an isolated incident? It's definitely a world away from being excusable - his 2-year-old was in the car he rammed, if I remember correctly. But it was five years ago, and I don't recall him having done anything since.

Going through marital problems makes you do things that are outside of your character. For most people, that means saying something you might not normally say, being vindictive through an attorney, etc. What he did was crazy. But since it hadn't happened before or since, I would be apt to look past it.

Travis Henry, on the other hand...

HorseHead
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
I always thought we should have made a play for Jamal Lewis instead...esp. if we were looking for a "stop gap" option...

Northman
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I understand what he got into trouble for. But aren't we talking about an isolated incident? It's definitely a world away from being excusable - his 2-year-old was in the car he rammed, if I remember correctly. But it was five years ago, and I don't recall him having done anything since.

Going through marital problems makes you do things that are outside of your character. For most people, that means saying something you might not normally say, being vindictive through an attorney, etc. What he did was crazy. But since it hadn't happened before or since, I would be apt to look past it.

YEP. Got to love the hypocrisy of some people.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
All that happened in 2003. What has he done the last couple of years? Anything?

Last couple yrs nothing, not on the field or off.

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Broncos are the weakest at RB they have been in a long time. Last yr I looked at oline and said wow this group really stinks. This year it's the rbs.

did the broncos resign Tatum Bell? :~ohyah!:

besides, the OL needs to imrove before the running game can get back on track.

are you worried Pittman will start? I'm not worried and wouldn't be surprised to see him not make the team.

don't forget that this year was a very deep draft for RB's and the guys the broncos drafted are probably going to work out just fine with Hall and Young.

loborugger
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, this will make Selvin Young's goal of a 2000 yd season a bit more obtainable. Maybe Young saw this move coming when the rest of us didnt.

So, does this FINALLY mean we are done with the over-priced, under-performing, cast-offs from other teams, sexy off season free agent signings? That crap is getting old. Gimme some hard chargers over spoiled talent anyday.

On the other hand, at least now the unemployed Travis will have a more viable excuse now for not paying child support.

Northman
06-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Last couple yrs nothing, not on the field or off.

This year is a brand new year then. And since he isnt cut yet i guess that also means he has made a commitment to the team unlike Henry.

bronco militia
really because if you watch football you would know last year RB was a big problem.

the health the RB's and the OL was a problem.

cutthemdown

ok that's fine I can also look past things like but then don't go around talking about character. You don't look for character in projects like Pittman. If anything only teams that have tons of character already should do that. Broncos IMO need to be looking for young, hungry, upstanding players because we are still another off season away from having a complete team IMO. With bad apples if you don't win things fall apart with them.

chrisp
Relax, we'll have a better O-line this year. That was always a big part of why we had a consistently good ground game and also part of why it wasn't so good last year....

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:42 PM
YEP. Got to love the hypocrisy of some people.

I agree

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Relax, we'll have a better O-line this year. That was always a big part of why we had a consistently good ground game and also part of why it wasn't so good last year....

Oline also in big trouble unless Hamilton and Nalen come back strong. Not to mention someone better play decent at LT. So many questions about the Broncos once again this yr. I'm surprised so many are optimistic but I guess we have a lot of homers around here. I wish you all could be more homers for your country since it comes so easy for you with the Broncos.

Bob's your Information Minister
lmao...

What was it you clowns were telling me about Henry last offseason?

Gold.

BMarsh615
So who stays?

Selvin Young
Michael Pittman
Andre Hall
Mike Bell
Ryan Torain
Cecil Sapp
Peyton Hillis

You forgot Anthony Aldridge, small back but he is easily the fastest rb we have in camp and has pretty good hands.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM

what wasn't good about ground game.

1- they didn't move the ball on ground in red zone
2- the running game didn't consistently pick up short 3rd downs
3- the running game didn't produce enough big plays
4- Rb's didn't catch enough passes out of the backfield
5- Rb's didn't do a great job picking up blitzes or blocking for one another
6- Rb's didn't stay healthy

did I leave anything out? Do you people watch football?

Breaker
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Broncos will sign Shaun Alexander for two years and a song within the week.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
lmao...

Gold.

what we heard about you was funnier.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Certainly did not see this coming... it certainly makes Selvin a more viable option and it also means the staff and Greek like what they see about Torrains recovery.

So long, Travis. Thanks for the memories.

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>
<embed src="<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yMdVHruUfI&hl=en" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7yMdVHruUfI&amphl=en[/URL]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT></P>
Edit: wtf on the embed? go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI

Natedog24
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
So how long before the Raiders sign Henry?

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
So how long before the Raiders sign Henry?

Tampa/GreenBay/Houston/Philadelphia, imo.

Florida_Bronco
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
lmao...

Gold.

Do you REALLY want to play that game? I suggest you waddle your fat ass right on out of this thread, less you wish for me to further drag your name through the mud.

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Do you REALLY want to play that game? I suggest you waddle your fat ass right on out of this thread, less you wish for me to further drag your name through the mud.

(que's up the Red Knight thread) :welcome:

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
(que's up the Red Knight thread) :welcome:

Ahahahahahaha

"NONE SHALL PASS"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ambiguous
06-02-2008, 01:01 PM
If Young is really up to 212 and benching 350 six times, he is no longer too small.

That is a really deep field of backs IMO. I am so glad not to have to cheer for a creep like Henry anymore. The nine kids, nine moms thing really got to me. I could care less about the marijuana though.

hmm I was thinking the opposite, purely from a football standpoint. I mean the smoking weed can affect his playing time if he gets caught, the nine kids don't really make a difference.

If he's not our running back I'm with you though. No problem with pot smoking, but wtf somebody buy this guy some condoms. Preferably the Trojan mega pack you can get from Costco.

tsiguy96
06-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Certainly did not see this coming... it certainly makes Selvin a more viable option and it also means the staff and Greek like what they see about Torrains recovery.

<embed src="<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yMdVHruUfI&hl=en" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7yMdVHruUfI&amphl=en[/URL]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT></P>

hahahahahahah thats one of the funniest videos ive seen in a long time

Popcorn Sutton
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Travis just got Gerard Warren'd... restructure and then the Axe!!!

2KBack
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Sounds like he was on the bubble a bit, and The team liked what it saw from its young backs at the passing camp.

Ambiguous
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM

lol forgot about that. *favorited*

Atwater His Ass
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Wow, didn't see this one coming at all. I was pretty convinced Henry was going to rebound and have a productive year for us. IMO, it seems that Henry might have had some other attitude problems that we aren't aware of and Shanny just decided to cut ties with him now.

I hope we do not sign Alexander. I live in Seattle and watch the guy play from time to time and he is just a shadow of his MVP self. He's not the same player since he signed his mega deal, and he's not going to get better anywhere else.

JLesSPE
06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I love this move. I had the pleasure of being at the KC game in arrowhead last year and watched Selvin rip the Chiefs apart. He has great vision, he's shifty, and very fast. The fact that he's bulked up to 212 (around the same playing weight as TD and CP) should improve his durability. Even if he's giving 3rd down carries up to Torrain I think he'll have a great year. The OL is improved also. I have complete faith in Selvin Young and any decision Shannahan makes about the RB position.

montrose
06-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I always thought we should have made a play for Jamal Lewis instead...esp. if we were looking for a "stop gap" option...

I was in that group as well.

Smiling Assassin27
06-02-2008, 01:11 PM
So what was the reason given for the cut? If it was character issues, I agree but also believe that if we're gonna keep a certain number of derelicts on the roster, Henry should be one. If it was that he's lollygagging, then he has to go, without a doubt.

Ambiguous
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
The fact that he's bulked up to 212 (around the same playing weight as TD and CP) should improve his durability.

What was his weight last year?

Personally, I loved what I saw from Selvin last year. I thought the consensus was that he's not ready to be an every down back though.

socalorado
06-02-2008, 01:13 PM

COSIGN.
:thumbsup:

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
what wasn't good about ground game.

1- they didn't move the ball on ground in red zone
2- the running game didn't consistently pick up short 3rd downs
3- the running game didn't produce enough big plays
4- Rb's didn't catch enough passes out of the backfield
5- Rb's didn't do a great job picking up blitzes or blocking for one another
6- Rb's didn't stay healthy

did I leave anything out? Do you people watch football?

Apparently you didn't because we just released one of the crappiest running backs last year. He couldn't stay healthy, he fumbled a lot and he wasn't good is pass pro.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
COSIGN.
:thumbsup:

The door just got kicked WIDE THE **** OPEN for your boy Torrain.

Houshyamama
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
lmao...

Gold.

That your mom is one of his nine baby's mommas.

~Crash~
06-02-2008, 01:16 PM

it no longer needs to be june 1 to spreed out the cap hit

JLesSPE
06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
What was his weight last year?

Personally, I loved what I saw from Selvin last year. I thought the consensus was that he's not ready to be an every down back though.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9434748

"Shanahan said during last season that Young, at 205 pounds, wasn't big enough to handle a steady workload. But the coaching staff's view of Young, along with his weight, has changed. He's weighing 212, the same number, give or take, that Davis and Clinton Portis once carried.

"Some guys can't handle more than 10 carries a game, but Selvin can," Shanahan said. "He's going to have to get himself in excellent shape, but I'd like to see him handle it and get it done. When you're averaging over 5 yards a carry, we'd be crazy to take him out." "

I guess that's more like 7lbs of muscle, but I had heard 15 from a few different places.

eddie mac
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Think if you read the statement issued from the Broncos this is a commitment issue. I'd say a very similar issue to the same one that got Javon Walker's ass thrown out of town, difference being Travis already saved us some money.

Too little too late IMO. In the space of 3 months this team have ditched 2 of the stars Shanahan hoped to build his offense around. One cost this organisation close to $20m and a 2nd rd draft pick whilst the other walked away with $7m for about 200 carries.

Thing that worries me though is that not so long ago Shanahan was counting on Travis being his first choice back because he didn't feel Selvin or Andre could do the bulk of the work. Obviously something bad has happened to change his mind over the last month.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM

"Shanahan said during last season that Young, at 205 pounds, wasn't big enough to handle a steady workload. But the coaching staff's view of Young, along with his weight, has changed. He's weighing 212, the same number, give or take, that Davis and Clinton Portis once carried.

"Some guys can't handle more than 10 carries a game, but Selvin can," Shanahan said. "He's going to have to get himself in excellent shape, but I'd like to see him handle it and get it done. When you're averaging over 5 yards a carry, we'd be crazy to take him out." "

I guess that's more like 7lbs of muscle, but I had heard 15 from a few different places.

Recycled Shanahan quote from the Tatum Bell/Mike Anderson days. His dad was even wondering why Bell left the field when he was popping off 9 yards a clip, and that is, word for word, the same line Mike said then.

socalorado
06-02-2008, 01:20 PM
The door just got kicked WIDE THE **** OPEN for your boy Torrain.

He musta looked pretty good.
Here he f***'in comes!

Young/Torain all day, pounding the rock.
I love it. This will make for yet another great RB story in DEN.
Also, dont forget about Hillis. He can run too! He may have looked really good as well in passing camp, and Shanny just decided that he couldnt do any worse with all these young legs, and decided to cut Henry right then and there in his mind.

~Crash~
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM

How the sam hell is that Coachs did not want henry at the end they told him to take a huge pay cut or be gone at the end of the season ...then for all you know henry came in a fat ass . if so were is that not having a plan ?

24champ
06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Obviously something bad has happened to change his mind over the last month.

I don't think something "bad" happened.

It sounds like Torain just made Henry expendable.

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Think if you read the statement issued from the Broncos this is a commitment issue. I'd say a very similar issue to the same one that got Javon Walker's ass thrown out of town, difference being Travis already saved us some money.

Too little too late IMO. In the space of 3 months this team have ditched 2 of the stars Shanahan hoped to build his offense around. One cost this organisation close to $20m and a 2nd rd draft pick whilst the other walked away with $7m for about 200 carries.

Thing that worries me though is that not so long ago Shanahan was counting on Travis being his first choice back because he didn't feel Selvin or Andre could do the bulk of the work. Obviously something bad has happened to change his mind over the last month.

It's probably a composite of everything. He's too hurt. He fumbles. He got caught smoking weed and got off on a technicality. There is the chance that Torain and Young have showed enough that this cut was easier to make for the staff as well. It doesn't have to be a doom and gloom kind of thing.

JLesSPE
Recycled Shanahan quote from the Tatum Bell/Mike Anderson days. His dad was even wondering why Bell left the field when he was popping off 9 yards a clip, and that is, word for word, the same line Mike said then.

And Tatum ended up not being able to stay healthy, I guarantee Young will be forgotten about too if he can't stay healthy. I don't recall Tatum ever bulking up, and that kept him from being able to run between the tackles.

Inkana7
Schmown'd

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Because Tatum Tinker Bell was losing or gaining no yards when he wasn't running for a TD.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
And Tatum ended up not being able to stay healthy, I guarantee Young will be forgotten about too if he can't stay healthy. I don't recall Tatum ever bulking up, and that kept him from being able to run between the tackles.

Not forgotten. Ridiculed and shipped to another team for a good defensive player, yes... but not forgotten.

eddie mac
06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
It's probably a composite of everything. He's too hurt. He fumbles. He got caught smoking weed and got off on a technicality. There is the chance that Torain and Young have showed enough that this cut was easier to make for the staff as well. It doesn't have to be a doom and gloom kind of thing.

I agree albeit no-one but the pure Orange blinkered can now argue that most of the costly personnel decisions made over the last 2-3 seasons have been a disaster for this franchise. It's now in black and white for all to see.

Henry=Disaster
Walker=Disaster
Rice=Disaster
Warren=Disaster

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Because Tatum Tinker Bell was losing or gaining no yards when he wasn't running for a TD.

Meh, I don't care about a non-Bronco enough to defend him, but we can certainly thank our #2 seed and homefield advantage in the 05 play-offs being largely due to some big time contributions, along with the great Champ Bailey.

cmhargrove
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I can't see how anyone is disappointed in this move. This is another good step forward for our team.

Henry can obviously be replaced. He did very little (positive) for this team or organization other than restructure his contract. He did a lot of negative.

Tell me which one of our backs couldn't get 700 yards and 4 TD's. That's all Travis did for this team. I honestly think Aldridge could give us those numbers as a rookie. He couldn't get the "hard yards," but he could have the same numbers.

Selvin falls forward. Andre Hall falls forward. Pittman runs angry. Torrain has the coaches approval. Hillis can run like a rocket. Aldridge probably won't make the squad, but has talent. Cecil Sapp came to camp with a lot of extra muscle (and motivation).

What's the problem here? This is a good thing for the Broncos. Cut the babymaker and don't look back...

JLesSPE
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Not forgotten. Ridiculed and shipped to another team for a good defensive player, yes... but not forgotten.

Fair enough

Houshyamama
06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

I'm excited for Torain and all having watched him play quite a bit at ASU, but isn't he still recovering from that Lisfranc injury?

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree albeit no-one but the pure Orange blinkered can now argue that most of the costly personnel decisions made over the last 2-3 seasons have been a disaster for this franchise. It's now in black and white for all to see.

Henry=Disaster Agreed, but restructuring hardly made this cap crippling
Walker=Disaster Best playmaker for a year, and would still be on the team without the extreme emergence of Marshall
Rice=Disaster Not "costly"
Warren=Disaster Also restructured, and had one extremely solid season before injuries much like Javon... only with a team assisting restructure

!

eddie mac
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM

You may well be right Champ but I've been around long enough to not get too enamoured by unpadded workouts or reports from over-excited journo's or vet's about the next coming of TD, Atwater or Rod. I'll hold my judgement until I see these guys in competitive games.

epicSocialism4tw
06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Shawn Alexander?

Inkana7
I honestly saw this coming.

SonOfLe-loLang

Henry=Disaster
Walker=Disaster
Rice=Disaster
Warren=Disaster

Warren was hardly a disaster. he was a victim of changing schemes (and played one year on a bad toe). I'd like to have him back

Borks147
06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Kubiak will pick him up. He is just what they need.

eddie mac
!

Rev it's not all about numbers or cost.

Starting RB=S Young or R Torain

Starting WR=Darrell Jackson

It's about setting your organisation back 2-3 years and these moves were a huge part of that. That's a fact.

Plus I'm not even bringing in the amount of ****ing about we've done with defensive schemes and co-ordinator's which cost us 1-2 seasons alone.

Orange_Beard
Any word on how many babies he made while in Denver?

BlaK-Argentina
06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Goodbye Travis!

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6672/travishenry2zt1.jpg

~Crash~
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Same here I hear 15 pounds several different places!?!?!

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
This is great news!
We won't have to spend this season wading through endless..... Henry is a POS, OMG WTF?? threads. :clown:

Anyway, Lamont Jordan should be getting cut any day now. Scoooop him up. Ha!

2KBack
06-02-2008, 01:41 PM

It's about setting your organisation back 2-3 years and these moves were a huge part of that. That's a fact.

Plus I'm not even bringing in the amount of ****ing about we've done with defensive schemes and co-ordinator's which cost us 1-2 seasons alone.

I don't see how this sets the organization back. I don't see how Walker set the the team back either.

Also, I would be fine with Young, Torain, and Jackson starting

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Goodbye Travis!

bwahaha

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't see how this sets the organization back. I don't see how Walker set the the team back either.

1- take off blinders
2- open eyes

telluride
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM

This sounds exactly right. Henry seems incapable of staying healthy, he's a bit of a mercenary, he's got serious issues, and -- to my mind anyway -- he never really embraced being a Bronco. Better to go with the young kids who are dedicated to making the team better, and who can truly be Broncos.

SBboundBroncos

this not really but walker hell yeah that POS set us back a second rounder that could have been used to get a lot very good players that year that would still be on this team contributing a lot

Ziggy
I'm excited for Torain and all having watched him play quite a bit at ASU, but isn't he still recovering from that Lisfranc injury?

According to all of the reports out, he is 100% again. They used a new procedure in his surgery which made for a quicker recovery. Seeing that he truly was 100% healthy may have been all that Shanny needed to make the decision to let Henry go.

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
lmao...

Gold.

That he would lead the league rushing until his next injury?

You on the other hand, were beating your man-boobs boasting that LJ was a beast who couldn't be stopped. Hilarious! Hilarious!

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 01:48 PM
How the sam hell is that Coachs did not want henry at the end they told him to take a huge pay cut or be gone at the end of the season ...then for all you know henry came in a fat ass . if so were is that not having a plan ?

it's not just this move. Broncos have been doing things very strange. How they handled the dline last yr, switching schemes, switching back, firing coaches, signing players, drafting a punter, cutting him, now he is a stud and we have no punter ( nick harris). I could go on and on about how Broncos seem to not be sure what they want to do or what direction they will go in.

Throw in having your best weapon slash his arm all up in offseason and it makes me worry a lot about the state of the team.

cutthemdown
According to all of the reports out, he is 100% again. They used a new procedure in his surgery which made for a quicker recovery. Seeing that he truly was 100% healthy may have been all that Shanny needed to make the decision to let Henry go.

Since they aren't hitting yet how would Shanny know if he is 100 percent?

TheReverend

I hear ya, but it's soooo much easier to say in hindsight.

Would you rather have explored the option of NOT picking up Henry? If so, do we keep Tatum or run with 2 UDFA unknowns? If so, we have no Bly and Fox is in huge demand.

And Walker was an enormous talent that played phenomenally for us. Can we tell he'll blow out his knee again a year and a half later and then when it heals, be scared to play? Or that Brandon will put on a circus over every DB he lines up over making him expendable?

If Henry stays healthy last year, he produces like he did in Tenn, and everyone here loves him regardless of drug and baby affiliation.

If Walker stays healthy he's in the pro-bowl last year and happily paid by a satisfied franchise.

Regardless, it's all shored up NOW... and that's what counts

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Time will tell.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Just heard part of Shanny's presser: VERY impressed with Torrain.

Ziggy
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Since they aren't hitting yet how would Shanny know if he is 100 percent?

I'm guessing he's seen that he can make cuts and push off on the foot just fine.

2KBack
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM
this not really but walker hell yeah that POS set us back a second rounder that could have been used to get a lot very good players that year that would still be on this team contributing a lot

that's a stretch, who knows who Denver would have selected with that pick. Plus Walker was the most explosive player on Denver's roster when healthy. It's sucks that he turned out to be a d-bag, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good decision at the time.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Apparently you didn't because we just released one of the crappiest running backs last year. He couldn't stay healthy, he fumbled a lot and he wasn't good is pass pro.

Until he got hurt, but after you are right he didn't do well either. You may be right in that either way Broncos are going to stink at RB this yr again.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
it's not just this move. Broncos have been doing things very strange. How they handled the dline last yr, switching schemes, switching back, firing coaches, signing players, drafting a punter, cutting him, now he is a stud and we have no punter ( nick harris). I could go on and on about how Broncos seem to not be sure what they want to do or what direction they will go in.

Throw in having your best weapon slash his arm all up in offseason and it makes me worry a lot about the state of the team.

So you would be more satisfied if they sat on their hand in the face of inefficiencies?

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I hear ya, but it's soooo much easier to say in hindsight.

Would you rather have explored the option of NOT picking up Henry? If so, do we keep Tatum or run with 2 UDFA unknowns? If so, we have no Bly and Fox is in huge demand.

And Walker was an enormous talent that played phenomenally for us. Can we tell he'll blow out his knee again a year and a half later and then when it heals, be scared to play? Or that Brandon will put on a circus over every DB he lines up over making him expendable?

If Henry stays healthy last year, he produces like he did in Tenn, and everyone here loves him regardless of drug and baby affiliation.

If Walker stays healthy he's in the pro-bowl last year and happily paid by a satisfied franchise.

Regardless, it's all shored up NOW... and that's what counts

Exactly!! :thumbs:

There's a lot of hindsight on the board.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM

I always laugh how they list these weight gains in the offseason. Once camp starts every player will drop about 5 pounds at least. If you ever played football once you start running around everyday it becomes hard to keep extra pounds on. Usually players work out and think they have added 7 pounds of muscle when really it's only a couple pounds and the rest is water and fat not being burned off yet.

Paladin
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
This is great news!
We won't have to spend this season wading through endless..... Henry is a POS, OMG WTF?? threads. :clown:

But there will always be the memories of all those babies and moms......

Some people will not let that go.

colonelbeef
06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
thank goodness. I hope the door bruises his ass on the way out. It's not his ability to play, it's his garbage attitude and off the field troubles that made this happen. Hall gets the majority of the carries, Pittman is the bruiser, Torain the wildcard.

Getting a proven RB from free agency never felt right, and now I know why. The Broncos discover their own RB's. Always have, always will. Those of you doubting the talent have no memory of Shanahan's RB track record; must I give you the list of successful finds again? Really, must I?

8')

socalorado
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Just heard part of Shanny's presser: VERY impressed with Torrain.

YES! Good news!
For any wondering about Torains foot, he stated on draft day that he was 100% fully recovered with the new proceedure for his foot. I dont know why he would lie, but i figured he would know the status of his own foot, but anyways.

Heres a article on the newest beast to put on orange and blue!
Written before his injury, you'll get a good perspective of his style of running.

Ryan Torain: Dark-horse Heisman candidate
I watched several Sun Devil games last year, and although there weren't many bright spots in hardly any of them at all except for the almost-defeat of Southern Cal in the Coliseum, one consistent star that stood out for me was Arizona State running back Ryan Torain.

He was enormously overlooked last year due to the Sun Devils' lackluster performance, but this year this kid may slip in under the Heisman radar by the UCLA game if the team can get their act together by the 2nd or 3rd game.

To put this into perspective, let's compare his stats to some other top returning NCAA runners.

According to NFL Draft Scout's website:

Ryan Torain (Arizona State)
Senior
6'1, 215. (density = 2.95 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.52 sec
(2006) 223 carries, 1229 yards (5.5 Avg). 7 TDs.

James Davis (Clemson)
Junior
5'11, 208. (density = 2.93 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.48 sec
2006: 203 carries, 1187 yards (5.8 Avg). 17 TDs

CJ Spiller (Clemson)
Sophomore
5'11, 190. (density = 2.68 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.43 sec
2006: 129 carries, 938 yards (7.3 Avg). 10 TDs

Steve Slaton (West Virginia)
Junior
5'10, 195. (density = 2.79 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.42 sec
2006: 248 carries, 1744 yards (7.03 Avg). 16 TDs

His ranking among those listed above:

Height: 3-way tie for 2nd with Cory Boyd and Tashard Choice
Weight: Tied for 2nd with Cory Boyd
Density: Tied for 2nd with Cory Boyd)
40-time: Tied for 9th with Tashard Choice
#carries: 8th
Total yards: 8th
Yds/carry: 6th
TDs: 12th (last)

He's in good company, and it's obvious where his strength lies - size. His body-mass density makes him a rock, and at that height he will force tacklers to text-book tackle him (meaning no shoulder-hitting without the arms wrapping-up, and certainly no arm-tackling without a stout body hit). He'll just bounce or shrug it off.

But couple that body-mass density with a 4.5-forty to boot and he will be very difficult to bring down unless your defensive lineman are lucky enough to get past the Devils' now-experienced O-line to even touch him. Or if your linebackers are quick and at least 240 lbs. And if you're a defensive back and he's made it past the linebackers, you're in trouble.

Bull-backs are extremely rare these days. Programs want speedsters or blocking backs, and that's it. Much like the NFL. Not bruisers who not only can drag a couple of defenders around upon impact, but who can also handle the ball well during the take-down and have pretty decent speed. North Carolina recently landed one of these rare bull-backs when Ryan Houston committed a few months ago (6'2, 245 lbs, 4.58 sec forty, 330 bench, 510 squat, 33" vertical leap, also played DE in high school). The Heels have a diamond in Houston, just as Arizona State has in Torain.

Other tidbits on Torain:
-Listed by ESPN's Mel Kiper as the No. 2 senior running back in the nation entering the 2007 season.
-Ranks 13th in the nation and 2nd in the PAC-10 among returning backs in total rushing yards.
-ASU's second-leading returning receiver for 2007 and leads all returning PAC-10 tailbacks in yards-per-catch average (11.4) and touchdown receptions (three). So this guy is a threat in the secondary as well.

Although there are some in that list above that Torain doesn't compare to stats-wise, we have to keep in mind what he was up against all last season. Inconsistent quarterbacking resulting from an injured Rudy Carpenter (two fractures to his throwing hand going into the Colorado game, another broken bone in the other hand during the Cal game), the controversy surrounding Sam Keller's departure to Nebraska, mediocre ho-hum coaching which will kill any chance of title contention no matter how strong your talent is, route-running mistakes, no go-to receivers nor a passing attack to open up running lanes (when your Tight End is your main go-to receiver, your passing game is in trouble), and a defense that gave up an average of 27.4 points per game against the other nine PAC-10 teams last season (three of those nine PAC-10 opponents racked up more than 40 points).

But this year there should be hope in Tempe. Number-one: Dennis Erickson has taken over. He's got a lot of talent and because of that alone you may see a vastly improved team within a year or two tops. And personally I think he'll be there to stay because he's getting older now and probably looking for a place to bring about championships glory and then retire (ala Steve Spurrier).

Also, an apparently healed Carpenter has been reported to have improved drastically during the spring game, experience returning at the offensive line, the receiver corps should open up quite a bit with senior Rudy Burgess getting some help from sophomores Kyle Williams and Brandon Smith and an outstanding freshman in Rodney Glass. So it appears that the passing game has improved quite a bit on paper.

What does this mean for Torain? If Erickson can get the Sun Devils back to their pass-happy happy-place, then the running lanes will open up all over for Torain. Which means that, if there's a good mix between passing and running, Torain should be scampering for an average of no less than 8 yards a carry, 3 of which will be him dragging a few linebackers with him for the first down. But he has to score a lot more TDs than he did last year.

Torain is the type of big back that allows you the reliable option to run when it's 3rd and 5, versus many teams who default to passing when they're in that situation. Put him in the backfield with Keegan Herring (4.37 forty in high school) and you have a serious backfield threat no matter what yardage situation you're facing.

Torain reminds me of Chad Jasmin, Chris Lancaster, and Jeff McCall, former Clemson bull-backs of yesteryear. Big and tough. Like trying to bring down a snapped bull that has a few too many banderillas in his back. If Torain grows bigger and stronger and stronger and faster and faster and bigger, then he may be the next John Riggins when he gets drafted.

But the defense looks to be in question. DT Michael Marquardt and DE Dexter Davis return to the line, which is a good thing, but there's no depth on said line. Josh Barrett returns at safety but the cornerback position appears to be questionable. Linebacker is a huge question mark, so junior college transfer Morris Wooten will absolutely have to step up and shine. If not then all bets are off.

If this defense allows opponents to score at will then this season may not be all that different from last season's. The offense will continually have to play catch-up with their opponents and that's not exactly a morale booster for any offense, because it's like you're fighting your own defense more than you're fighting the opponent's. The defense must gel and do so quickly to help the offense out.

Add to the defensive questions the fact that the Sun Devils haven't selected a kicker. And kicking problems could be an Achilles heel - just ask Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden.

According to the Sun Devils' official website, Arizona State's first four games are at home. About a solid month to work out the kinks in front of the home crowd. But ideally they better git-er-done by the 4th game; Oregon State. The same team that destroyed them 44-10 in Corvallis last season. A vengeance win over the Beavs will be a serious morale booster and may very well set the tone for the rest of the season.

If the Sun Devils can come out with a winning conference record and end the regular season with 9 wins, plus win their bowl game, that will be a 10-win season and will obviously be considered marked improvement. And if that happens, expect Torain to be in outside Heisman contention and his NFL draft stock to up a bit. But for him to get serious trophy consideration and for pro scouts to drool, he has to score a lot more touchdowns. At least double from last year, minimum. Because we all know the Heisman people only really vote on playmakers from popular, winning teams.

Originally I thought "well, ASU will also have to get to a BCS bowl for Torain to get serious consideration." Maybe not. Because Arkansas' Darren McFadden was 2nd in Heisman voting last year and the Hogs weren't even in the BCS. Matter of fact, Arkansas capped off a 3-game losing skid to Wisconsin in the Capital-One Bowl, where Darren McFadden only scored 2 TDs in those games. If Arkansas' current internal problems negatively impact the field of play in '07, and Darren McFadden suffers for it, Torain (and others) will be able to capitalize on that.

So, say Erickson gets his boys into the Holiday Bowl this year and they whip the 3rd best the Big XII has to offer (which at this point looks like Nebraska, and what a game that will be watching ASU go up against traitor Sam Keller) and Torain goes into that bowl game with, say, 15 TDs and then gets in the end zone at least twice in the bowl, then I expect Torain to be in the top-5 in Heisman voting topped off with an all-expense paid trip to NYC

http://www.darrenmcfadden.org/darren-mcfadden-news06212007.php

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I always laugh how they list these weight gains in the offseason. Once camp starts every player will drop about 5 pounds at least. If you ever played football once you start running around everyday it becomes hard to keep extra pounds on. Usually players work out and think they have added 7 pounds of muscle when really it's only a couple pounds and the rest is water and fat not being burned off yet.

...and those extra pounds that you drop are water-weight unless you're one of the big boys. Muscle generally will only develop at 6.5lbs/yr unless you're juicing or on some great "supplements", and will also take a longggggg time to degenerate.

BroncoFanatic
06-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Seeing as how we all just got the word today, I'm sure he hasn't left town just yet, so still counting...

Punisher
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
not surprised

I 2nd that

colonelbeef
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Until he got hurt, but after you are right he didn't do well either. You may be right in that either way Broncos are going to stink at RB this yr again.

The broncos have been the most successful running team in the NFL under Mike Shanahan for over 12 seasons. 1,000 yard runner after 1,000 yard runner. Olandis Gary after Mike Anderson after Tatum Bell after Clinton Portis after Reuben Droughns after Terrell Davis. A mistake was made, and a chance was taken on a player who no longer warrants a position in professional *anything*, let alone RB on the Denver Broncos. At the time, it was a good chance to take, Henry seemed motivated, and his running ability fit the description. He is a failure in his personal life, and those troubles have spilled over to his professional life.

This has been a terrific offseason. Tell me, cutthemdown and denigrators of your ilk, why are we to listen to quotes as the one above, when the statistical data is so strongly against your opinion that it makes your complaints seem ludicrous at best?

Peoples Champ
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Ya really-

Why couldnt they do it earlier, Travis Henry is the starting RB on Madden 09. Broncos should have done it earlier so we could have a different RB on Madden

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Ya really-

Why couldnt they do it earlier, Travis Henry is the starting RB on Madden 09. Broncos should have done it earlier so we could have a different RB on Madden

Ha! Ha! Ha!

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
The broncos have been the most successful running team in the NFL under Mike Shanahan for over 12 seasons. 1,000 yard runner after 1,000 yard runner. Olandis Gary after Mike Anderson after Tatum Bell after Clinton Portis after Reuben Droughns after Terrell Davis. A mistake was made, and a chance was taken on a player who no longer warrants a position in professional *anything*, let alone RB on the Denver Broncos. At the time, it was a good chance to take, Henry seemed motivated, and his running ability fit the description. He is a failure in his personal life, and those troubles have spilled over to his professional life.

This has been a terrific offseason. Tell me, cutthemdown and denigrators of your ilk, why are we to listen to quotes as the one above, when the statistical data is so strongly against your opinion that it makes your complaints seem ludicrous at best?

This is a solid post.

And cutthemdown is a clueless asshole! ;)

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
so does anyone think he might have failed another drug test?

400HZ
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
So you would be more satisfied if they sat on their hand in the face of inefficiencies?

At least they'd be able to gives themselves The Stranger.

Drek
06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Not real surprising, his renegotiation was a good step in the right direction but it also made this decision easier on the FO.

I guess those reports a few weeks back about Henry not being in training camp and whatnot were a bit more meaningful than they first seemed, and Torain must be looking pretty healthy so far.

I'm fine with it because the chances of him giving us 16 productive games free of significant injury or suspension were pretty slim. Now if he screws up again its not our problem and we don't need to fear any kind of retribution against us by the league's head office.

All boils down to the fact that Shanahan and Turner must be impressed with Young and Torain. If that is legitimately the case then better to ditch Henry now rather than committing snaps to him that would instead help Young and Torain go to the next level.

broncofan2438
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow, I kind of thought this was coming, but he was a constant disappointment, so whatever

Cito Pelon
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Cutting Henry is no big deal to me.

bpc
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I feel good about this move. Henry is an a-hole and his values never should have been brought to Denver. Too little too late. OH well. This is just one more of the bad guys we are giving the boot this offseason.

I will feel great about this move if Torrain is healthy, Selwyn has put on some weight and we stop this stupid experiment with Mike Bell at fullback. Just move him back to HB where he has better natural instincts.

I do agree though, this makes HB potentially a priority in next years draft though.

The nice thing about this move is barring Pittman doing anything, I feel like I can root for all three of these guys at HB which I haven't been able to do in awhile with Fum Bell and Travis "spread my seed" Henry at the helm the past two years.

Traveler
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Just heard that we are sending our 1st and 2nd to the Steelers for Mendenhall!

Just kidding....Couldn't resist!

epicSocialism4tw
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Just heard that we are sending our 1st and 2nd to the Steelers for Mendenhall!
Just kidding....Couldn't resist!

Good, because that would have been about the stupidest thing Shanny could have done since bringing in Jim Bates to destroy the defense.

24champ
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
YES! Good news!
For any wondering about Torains foot, he stated on draft day that he was 100% fully recovered with the new proceedure for his foot. I dont know why he would lie, but i figured he would know the status of his own foot, but anyways.

Heres a article on the newest beast to put on orange and blue!
Written before his injury, you'll get a good perspective of his style of running.

Ryan Torain: Dark-horse Heisman candidate
I watched several Sun Devil games last year, and although there weren't many bright spots in hardly any of them at all except for the almost-defeat of Southern Cal in the Coliseum, one consistent star that stood out for me was Arizona State running back Ryan Torain.

He was enormously overlooked last year due to the Sun Devils' lackluster performance, but this year this kid may slip in under the Heisman radar by the UCLA game if the team can get their act together by the 2nd or 3rd game.

To put this into perspective, let's compare his stats to some other top returning NCAA runners.

According to NFL Draft Scout's website:

Ryan Torain (Arizona State)
Senior
6'1, 215. (density = 2.95 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.52 sec
(2006) 223 carries, 1229 yards (5.5 Avg). 7 TDs.

James Davis (Clemson)
Junior
5'11, 208. (density = 2.93 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.48 sec
2006: 203 carries, 1187 yards (5.8 Avg). 17 TDs

CJ Spiller (Clemson)
Sophomore
5'11, 190. (density = 2.68 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.43 sec
2006: 129 carries, 938 yards (7.3 Avg). 10 TDs

Steve Slaton (West Virginia)
Junior
5'10, 195. (density = 2.79 lbs/inch)
40-time: 4.42 sec
2006: 248 carries, 1744 yards (7.03 Avg). 16 TDs

His ranking among those listed above:

Height: 3-way tie for 2nd with Cory Boyd and Tashard Choice
Weight: Tied for 2nd with Cory Boyd
Density: Tied for 2nd with Cory Boyd)
40-time: Tied for 9th with Tashard Choice
#carries: 8th
Total yards: 8th
Yds/carry: 6th
TDs: 12th (last)

He's in good company, and it's obvious where his strength lies - size. His body-mass density makes him a rock, and at that height he will force tacklers to text-book tackle him (meaning no shoulder-hitting without the arms wrapping-up, and certainly no arm-tackling without a stout body hit). He'll just bounce or shrug it off.

But couple that body-mass density with a 4.5-forty to boot and he will be very difficult to bring down unless your defensive lineman are lucky enough to get past the Devils' now-experienced O-line to even touch him. Or if your linebackers are quick and at least 240 lbs. And if you're a defensive back and he's made it past the linebackers, you're in trouble.

Bull-backs are extremely rare these days. Programs want speedsters or blocking backs, and that's it. Much like the NFL. Not bruisers who not only can drag a couple of defenders around upon impact, but who can also handle the ball well during the take-down and have pretty decent speed. North Carolina recently landed one of these rare bull-backs when Ryan Houston committed a few months ago (6'2, 245 lbs, 4.58 sec forty, 330 bench, 510 squat, 33" vertical leap, also played DE in high school). The Heels have a diamond in Houston, just as Arizona State has in Torain.

Other tidbits on Torain:
-Listed by ESPN's Mel Kiper as the No. 2 senior running back in the nation entering the 2007 season.
-Ranks 13th in the nation and 2nd in the PAC-10 among returning backs in total rushing yards.
-ASU's second-leading returning receiver for 2007 and leads all returning PAC-10 tailbacks in yards-per-catch average (11.4) and touchdown receptions (three). So this guy is a threat in the secondary as well.

Although there are some in that list above that Torain doesn't compare to stats-wise, we have to keep in mind what he was up against all last season. Inconsistent quarterbacking resulting from an injured Rudy Carpenter (two fractures to his throwing hand going into the Colorado game, another broken bone in the other hand during the Cal game), the controversy surrounding Sam Keller's departure to Nebraska, mediocre ho-hum coaching which will kill any chance of title contention no matter how strong your talent is, route-running mistakes, no go-to receivers nor a passing attack to open up running lanes (when your Tight End is your main go-to receiver, your passing game is in trouble), and a defense that gave up an average of 27.4 points per game against the other nine PAC-10 teams last season (three of those nine PAC-10 opponents racked up more than 40 points).

But this year there should be hope in Tempe. Number-one: Dennis Erickson has taken over. He's got a lot of talent and because of that alone you may see a vastly improved team within a year or two tops. And personally I think he'll be there to stay because he's getting older now and probably looking for a place to bring about championships glory and then retire (ala Steve Spurrier).

Also, an apparently healed Carpenter has been reported to have improved drastically during the spring game, experience returning at the offensive line, the receiver corps should open up quite a bit with senior Rudy Burgess getting some help from sophomores Kyle Williams and Brandon Smith and an outstanding freshman in Rodney Glass. So it appears that the passing game has improved quite a bit on paper.

What does this mean for Torain? If Erickson can get the Sun Devils back to their pass-happy happy-place, then the running lanes will open up all over for Torain. Which means that, if there's a good mix between passing and running, Torain should be scampering for an average of no less than 8 yards a carry, 3 of which will be him dragging a few linebackers with him for the first down. But he has to score a lot more TDs than he did last year.

Torain is the type of big back that allows you the reliable option to run when it's 3rd and 5, versus many teams who default to passing when they're in that situation. Put him in the backfield with Keegan Herring (4.37 forty in high school) and you have a serious backfield threat no matter what yardage situation you're facing.

Torain reminds me of Chad Jasmin, Chris Lancaster, and Jeff McCall, former Clemson bull-backs of yesteryear. Big and tough. Like trying to bring down a snapped bull that has a few too many banderillas in his back. If Torain grows bigger and stronger and stronger and faster and faster and bigger, then he may be the next John Riggins when he gets drafted.

But the defense looks to be in question. DT Michael Marquardt and DE Dexter Davis return to the line, which is a good thing, but there's no depth on said line. Josh Barrett returns at safety but the cornerback position appears to be questionable. Linebacker is a huge question mark, so junior college transfer Morris Wooten will absolutely have to step up and shine. If not then all bets are off.

If this defense allows opponents to score at will then this season may not be all that different from last season's. The offense will continually have to play catch-up with their opponents and that's not exactly a morale booster for any offense, because it's like you're fighting your own defense more than you're fighting the opponent's. The defense must gel and do so quickly to help the offense out.

Add to the defensive questions the fact that the Sun Devils haven't selected a kicker. And kicking problems could be an Achilles heel - just ask Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden.

According to the Sun Devils' official website, Arizona State's first four games are at home. About a solid month to work out the kinks in front of the home crowd. But ideally they better git-er-done by the 4th game; Oregon State. The same team that destroyed them 44-10 in Corvallis last season. A vengeance win over the Beavs will be a serious morale booster and may very well set the tone for the rest of the season.

If the Sun Devils can come out with a winning conference record and end the regular season with 9 wins, plus win their bowl game, that will be a 10-win season and will obviously be considered marked improvement. And if that happens, expect Torain to be in outside Heisman contention and his NFL draft stock to up a bit. But for him to get serious trophy consideration and for pro scouts to drool, he has to score a lot more touchdowns. At least double from last year, minimum. Because we all know the Heisman people only really vote on playmakers from popular, winning teams.

Originally I thought "well, ASU will also have to get to a BCS bowl for Torain to get serious consideration." Maybe not. Because Arkansas' Darren McFadden was 2nd in Heisman voting last year and the Hogs weren't even in the BCS. Matter of fact, Arkansas capped off a 3-game losing skid to Wisconsin in the Capital-One Bowl, where Darren McFadden only scored 2 TDs in those games. If Arkansas' current internal problems negatively impact the field of play in '07, and Darren McFadden suffers for it, Torain (and others) will be able to capitalize on that.

So, say Erickson gets his boys into the Holiday Bowl this year and they whip the 3rd best the Big XII has to offer (which at this point looks like Nebraska, and what a game that will be watching ASU go up against traitor Sam Keller) and Torain goes into that bowl game with, say, 15 TDs and then gets in the end zone at least twice in the bowl, then I expect Torain to be in the top-5 in Heisman voting topped off with an all-expense paid trip to NYC

http://www.darrenmcfadden.org/darren-mcfadden-news06212007.php

Yeah I drafted Torain in the OM mock draft, I am very high on the kid. I believe he has what it takes to be a very good, if not great RB in Denver.

So all aboard the Torain Train!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080519/capt.ed9dfefdd4cf4891ab8e522e2220070c.broncos_foot ball_codz104.jpg

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
That he would lead the league rushing until his next injury?

You on the other hand, were beating your man-boobs boasting that LJ was a beast who couldn't be stopped. Hilarious! Hilarious!

No kidding. Remember this little gem:

Larry Johnson will have more yards than all the Broncos running backs combined!

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
It will be a patch work group for sure this year.

However, I am begging the Broncos to get this guy when he comes out of college:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N-0mlHNP5u8

eddie mac
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Waste of an early 2nd rd pick regardless of the amount of money he pocketed for basically 1 year's work (nearly $20m in change which included an opt out clause payment which wasn't reported).

Sodak
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm happy they got him to take a pay cut before releasing him. Shanny must have planned this move a long time ago.

cmhargrove
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
1- take off blinders
2- open eyes

OK cutthemdown, please use a bit of logic and reason.

1. New guys have always done well in the Denver backfield (at least for the past decade). Who is the last tailback that didn't do well overall? Tatum had his problems but was pretty productive with a couple really good games (like against the Ravens). Q had some fumblitis, but also had a few really good games. Anderson, Portis, Droughns, et al...

Are you seriously telling me that Travis is indispensable? 700 yards and four TD's is impossible to replace? You're on crack if you back that line of logic.

2. Anyone knocking this year's receiving corps is also on crack. We now have lots of experienced guys competing for the #2 spot. As long as Marshall recovers, we will have more talent than we have had in years (especially with Cutler's development).

This team is moving up my friend, and the Henry saga is merely an insignificant blip on the radar. He is easily replaced.

Vaya Con Dios Babymaker!

Ambiguous
06-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Great read right there. I'm really excited to see what happens this year.

socalorado
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah I drafted Torain in the OM mock draft, I am very high on the kid. I believe he has what it takes to be a very good, if not great RB in Denver.

So all aboard the Torain Train!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080519/capt.ed9dfefdd4cf4891ab8e522e2220070c.broncos_foot ball_codz104.jpg

I agree. Just stay healthy!

Like the lake sig!

Killericon
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm kind of pissed off by this move, since I thought Henry was doing just fine when healthy, but only kind of. He CLEARLY was not the future, and Young had/has far more potential than him.

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
No kidding. Remember this little gem:

I do.....and some. ^5

Boob loves being the Mane's Pinata, but he's wearing out the sticks and nothing healthy is tumbling out.

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 02:58 PM

1. New guys have always done well in the Denver backfield (at least for the past decade). Who is the last tailback that didn't do well overall? Tatum had his problems but was pretty productive with a couple really good games (like against the Ravens). Q had some fumblitis, but also had a few really good games. Anderson, Portis, Droughns, et al...

Are you seriously telling me that Travis is indispensable? 700 yards and four TD's is impossible to replace? You're on crack if you back that line of logic.

2. Anyone knocking this year's receiving corps is also on crack. We now have lots of experienced guys competing for the #2 spot. As long as Marshall recovers, we will have more talent than we have had in years (especially with Cutler's development).

This team is moving up my friend, and the Henry saga is merely an insignificant blip on the radar. He is easily replaced.

Vaya Con Dios Babymaker!

I hope you are right

cutthemdown
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Vaya Con Dios Babymaker!

as far as what RBS have done well I don't see just cracking 1000 yrds as a big deal. For Broncos system to work we have to dominate on the ground.

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
But there will always be the memories of all those babies and moms......

Some people will not let that go.

They now have Pittman, they'll be fine. :spit:

socalorado
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
as far as what RBS have done well I don't see just cracking 1000 yrds as a big deal. For Broncos system to work we have to dominate on the ground.

ENTER YOUNG/TORAIN. :strong:

This combo is alot like Parker/Bettis. :sunshine:

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Meh, tops in the AFC for YPC with an injury depleted team... losing one part of that injury and adding several other contributing pieces... I don't see this as a deal-breaker.

The only thing I'll miss, is having a runner that wants to punish the defender until said defender doesn't even want to be on the field anymore. Maybe Torrain can do that...?

colonelbeef
06-02-2008, 03:06 PM
The Broncos running game has never been about the back. It has always been about the OL. OL has been addressed and improved. RB's will look better as a result, with slightly varying degrees of success dictated by the running style.

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
They now have Pittman, they'll be fine. :spit:

In all seriousness, I think this is true. I don't know that he's going to get a lot of playing time in '08. But I see him contributing about what I expected of Henry - minus the bastard children. There's no way they were both going to end up on the final roster - might as well keep the guy with less progeny.

socalorado
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Meh, tops in the AFC for YPC with an injury depleted team... losing one part of that injury and adding several other contributing pieces... I don't see this as a deal-breaker.

The only thing I'll miss, is having a runner that wants to punish the defender until said defender doesn't even want to be on the field anymore. Maybe Torrain can do that...?
TORAIN

I'm tellin ya, this guy is going to be a freakin monster here!
I think Shanny is going to go to a more conventional attack with the run 1st scheme, just like PITT did with Parker/Bettis in Roethlisbergers 2nd year.
This will benefit Cutler, allowing him to have more freedom downfield. Look what that 2 headed attack did for PITT and Roethlisberger.
I think Cutlers lightyears AHEAD of big ben right now in his career.

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
At least they'd be able to gives themselves The Stranger.

Hilarious! I know what this is thanks to scrubs.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
TORAIN

I'm tellin ya, this guy is going to be a freakin monster here!
I think Shanny is going to go to a more conventional attack with the run 1st scheme, just like PITT did with Parker/Bettis in Roethlisbergers 2nd year.
This will benefit Cutler, allowing him to have more freedom downfield. Look what that 2 headed attack did for PITT and Roethlisberger.
I think Cutlers lightyears AHEAD of big ben right now in his career.

Yeah, I know. But talking up college size, and being a college bruiser isn't quite the same as being a violent NFL runner. Does he have that attitude and the hip power to get it done at this level?

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Chris Wells...Future Bronco Legend.

SoDak Bronco
06-02-2008, 03:32 PM
dude Travis Henry is gone!!!WOHOOO>><<I like this move for a # of reasons..Shanny is getting character guys..guys that are strong in and out of the lockerroom. If he wasn't showing the dedication, especially after shanny took all that heat for him last year..Get him outta here. I like our young talent in selvin, andre, and pittman. I think Torian is going to surprise some people as well. this move just upgraded the team.

maher_tyler
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I agree with you on their thoguhts. I am surprised thought that the cut comes now instead of during or after TC. He must have been really slicking in the offseason workouts to warrant a cut and the nature of Shanny's comments. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

While disappointed that Henry got cut, I like Mike's intensity and his "No BS" attitude. Hopefully, this approach will pay big dividends in the coming years.

Go Broncos!!

I think it sends a message the rest of the team...saying if you dont put in 100% effort at all times you could be next..hes prolly trying to light a fire under some asses

bronco militia
06-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it sends a message the rest of the team...saying if you dont put in 100% effort at all times you could be next..hes prolly trying to light a fire under some asses

not anymore...I'd say the Pittman signing was done to try and get his ass back on the field sooner

Northman
06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm kind of pissed off by this move, since I thought Henry was doing just fine when healthy, but only kind of. He CLEARLY was not the future, and Young had/has far more potential than him.

Being pissed off is ok, but be pissed off at the guy who wouldnt commit to the program. Dont be pissed at the organization for dumping someone who wasnt giving 100%.

maher_tyler
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I know. But talking up college size, and being a college bruiser isn't quite the same as being a violent NFL runner. Does he have that attitude and the hip power to get it done at this level?

At that size and with that speed lets hope so...sounds like hes a bigger version of henry.

BroncoFanatic
06-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Being pissed off is ok, but be pissed off at the guy who wouldnt commit to the program. Dont be pissed at the organization for dumping someone who wasnt giving 100%.

No doubt, I'd be pissed off if my team kept players who weren't committed to winning :bronxrox:

socalorado
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Well, we just have to wait and see!
But hes clearly got all the measurables you want in a "violent runner", and he ran violently at ASU, so lets just wait!

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
At that size and with that speed lets hope so...sounds like hes a bigger version of henry.

Henry: 230 lbs and low center of gravity at 5-9
Torrain: 215 lbs at 6 ft even

So... did you mean "sounds like a slightly bigger version of Selvin"?

rugbythug
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=headline vAlign=top colSpan=3>Henry to never play in NFL again?

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD bgColor=#000044 colSpan=3>Travis Henry (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2271) - RB - DEN (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN) - Jun. 2 - 1:22 pm et </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>ESPN's Bill Williamson says it "would be a surprise" if free agent Travis Henry ever plays in the NFL again.
As coach Mike Shanahan alluded to in his statement, Williamson says Henry's dedication was in question all spring and his release was inevitable. Williamson thinks Henry won't be pursued because he is showing wear and tear, isn't reliable, and his signing would bring any team bad publicity. Jun. 2 - 1:22 pm et
Source: Hashmarks Blog (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-394/Henry-s-departure-was-brewing.html)
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=300 colSpan=4 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>To see more Travis Henry news items click here... (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=2271)
To see more NFL news items click here... (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SlipperyPete
06-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Broncos are getting fed up with these types of players and are giving them the axe. Bout time.

I have an idea! Maybe they should stop putting them on the team in the first place!

Nah, that's crazy talk.

Kaylore
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I have an idea! Maybe they should stop putting them on the team in the first place!

Nah, that's crazy talk.

This last draft is suggesting that this is the plan.

Stormontheplains
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I have been lucky to have seen Damian Nash, Andre Hall, and now Ryan Torain up close and personel. Torian is the real deal and actually thought equal to or better than Rudy Johnson of the bengals by the same coaching staff. He plays faster than his time, hits the hole like a madman, and will look great behind a zone blocking o-line. I would not worry at all.

montrose
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I had the feeling the team was done with Henry when he was healthy and got no PT against Minnesota in the finale with Selvin playing the entire game.

Also, when Shanny said he didn't think Selvin could be a full-time back, it clinched my feeling that Shanny WAS sold on him. Shanny loves to motivate and smoke-screen, and there was no other reason to denounce an undrafted rookie after a surprising season at an end-of-the-year presser. Shanny's likely banking that as long as Hall, Pittman or Bell can backup Selvin - he's not losing anything.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
The Denver running game will not be very good this year.

A mix of inexperience on the offensive line + aging veterans past their prime on the offensive line + Mike Shanahans obsessions with introducing a new "diamond in the rough" running back every single year = a bad running game.

I don't see this stable of running backs producing anything more than average production. Next offseason, it's time to make a push to go get a stud running back.

PS. What is with many of you having the same signature picture of brokeback?

watermock
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88cxPmsx2Go

I called it. mock 1

Reverend 0.

Bonus clip

HEAV
06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Still could make a play for Kevin Jones or Shawn Alexander.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM

WTF does this have to do with anything?

Punisher
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
The Denver running game will not be very good this year.

A mix of inexperience on the offensive line + aging veterans past their prime on the offensive line + Mike Shanahans obsessions with introducing a new "diamond in the rough" running back every single year = a bad running game.

I don't see this stable of running backs producing anything more than average production. Next offseason, it's time to make a push to go get a stud running back.

PS. What is with many of you having the same signature picture of brokeback?

True in many ways

Kaylore
****FYI I Just found out this is related to Henry missing workouts. One of the big issues with Shanahan is making the offseason training program, and since every player gets a pretty decent bonus for participating in it, it makes it one of those must-attend deals. Skipping on it and not trying put Travis in Shanny's dog house from whence there is no return. The skipped OTA's put the nails in the coffin.

24champ

Forget it...he's rolling.

Northman
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Nah, that's crazy talk.

Very true, but since the team really just started cleaning house this offseason i think we can agree they are making the right moves.

Punisher
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I bet Henry will sign with The Chargers or K.C I have a feelin...

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM

STFU, dimwit!

elsid13
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Mock's back! Don't question the mock.

RaiderH8r
06-02-2008, 05:16 PM

Dude you've got to let the logic of the Mock run its course for about 6-8 weeks when it will come full circle in a totally unrelated thread. He will usually make his point in a long winded diatribe about farm equipment, a cat, a ramshackle shack, a long cold walk to the outhouse, and a cigarette break while considering the true nature of dark matter and how it might effect his efforts at time travel.

PS. Welcome back Mock. Any Beezer stories?

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
STFU, dimwit!

I can't argue with eloquent logic like that. Oh wait...yes I can.

RaiderH8r
06-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I can't doubt the FO's motivation for cutting Henry. Shanny went out on a limb and defended the hell out of the guy last year. If that doesn't motivate a player to step up his efforts for an organization, any organization, then there's not much to be done for him.

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I can't argue with eloquent logic like that. Oh wait...yes I can.

Only when you get the joke. ;D

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I can't doubt the FO's motivation for cutting Henry. Shanny went out on a limb and defended the hell out of the guy last year. If that doesn't motivate a player to step up his efforts for an organization, any organization, then there's not much to be done for him.

I'm glad he's gone too.

I will say that they should have looked at his history prior to signing him as an indicator of his potential as a Bronco. His off the field activities is an outstanding indication of how he carries himself on and off the field.

He should have never been signed. It was a waste of time and money that puts this organization that much further back in it's goal of winning another Super Bowl.

I hate how they have handled the running back position in the last 3-4 years.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Only when you get the joke. ;D

Most of the time jokes are meant to be funny.

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Someone will explain it....probably Dom.
Yes, I know, if you have to explain it it's not funny.

elsid13
06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Someone will explain it....probably Dom.
Yes, I know, if you have to explain it it's not funny.

There is no explaining it, only living through it.

RaiderH8r
06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm glad he's gone too.

I will say that they should have looked at his history prior to signing him as an indicator of his potential as a Bronco. His off the field activities is an outstanding indication of how he carries himself on and off the field.

He should have never been signed. It was a waste of time and money that puts this organization that much further back in it's goal of winning another Super Bowl.

I hate how they have handled the running back position in the last 3-4 years.

I was up on the signing. I'm a little like Shanny that way thinking that in a cut throat league if you put yourself out there in support of a player then you can foster a feeling of loyalty and devotion in that player. Henry didn't have that and Shanny showed him the door. If you're slackin' you're packin'.

RaiderH8r
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Not so much a joke as it is an experience. You have to experience the Mock to understand the Mock and nobody, not even the longest standing Mane vet understands the Mock and therein lies the joke.

24champ
06-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Probably will sign with Vanderjackoff's team in Toronto...

It will be a surprise if Henry ever plays in the NFL again.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-394/Henry-s-departure-was-brewing.html

Bob's your Information Minister
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Not the Chiefs. We're loaded at RB.

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM

HAHAHA - Dude, you negative REPed me. For THAT?

I think that's the second negative REP I've ever gotten on the Orange Mane. And the first one was from that crazy ass Chiefs poster that used to negative REP everyone that posted.

Do a search on the Mane for "STFU," "Dimwit," and "Mock" - you'll understand a little better.

Raider Bill
06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
This is great news!

Anyway, Lamont Jordan should be getting cut any day now. Scoooop him up. Ha!

That would be awesome. Jordan is about as elusive as a pile of ****

MileHighMagic
06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I called it.

Yes you did.

I was surprised by this. I really hope this move is based more on what the staff likes about Young and Torain than what they couldn't live with in Henry.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
HAHAHA - Dude, you negative REPed me. For THAT?

I think that's the second negative REP I've ever gotten on the Orange Mane. And the first one was from that crazy ass Chiefs poster that used to negative REP everyone that posted.

Do a search on the Mane for "STFU," "Dimwit," and "Mock" - you'll understand a little better.

I didn't really find it necessary to do research on obvious insults for no reason. I am guessing that this is some sort of completely unfunny inside joke. Maybe next time you want to throw around inside jokes masked as insults, you'll do some of your own research and find out people don't put up with being insulted.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I approve this roster purge. Go be a babydaddy somewhere else.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Goodbye Travis!

:rofl:

Oh noes u dihint.

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I didn't really find it necessary to do research on obvious insults for no reason. I am guessing that this is some sort of completely unfunny inside joke. Maybe next time you want to throw around inside jokes masked as insults, you'll do some of your own research and find out people don't put up with being insulted.

Dude, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are you just having a bad day, or are you really this much of a douchebag?

It's a localism, man. I wasn't going to flame you for the original misunderstanding, because you just didn't know. But for you to keep on about it - well, like I said, maybe you're just a douchebag? ???

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Henry, when healthy, was the guy that all these backs are now trying to be. This shows that Mike made a bad move to get him for the one season. I wanted him to come out and prove he is the guy for the job. Once again, a bad character guy stings the Broncos. As I stated before, since we had The Father of a Hundred Kids already and seemed to pass the Marijuana questions, I was willing to let him try a be the best football player he could be and we needed. Now, looks like another bad decision Shanny made. On a positive note, I think he is turning away from those players just at the look of this year's draft. Boy, I hope this doesnt sting us in the A$$.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Dude you've got to let the logic of the Mock run its course for about 6-8 weeks when it will come full circle in a totally unrelated thread. He will usually make his point in a long winded diatribe about farm equipment, a cat, a ramshackle shack, a long cold walk to the outhouse, and a cigarette break while considering the true nature of dark matter and how it might effect his efforts at time travel.

PS. Welcome back Mock. Any Beezer stories?

Dont forget Meth alley!

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Dude, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are you just having a bad day, or are you really this much of a douchebag?

It's a localism, man. I wasn't going to flame you for the original misunderstanding, because you just didn't know. But for you to keep on about it - well, like I said, maybe you're just a douchebag? ???

Your the one enjoying your gay little inside jokes by calling other people names and expecting everyone to know what the f__k you are talking about. Any joke you have to explain is pretty lame.

You asking me to do actual research for me to comprehend your stupid, lame joke and I'm a douchebag?

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Stugots the 2nd--- It isnt our fault that you do not get the joke about Mock. Before his peanut butter taste testing right before putting up the Arkansas State roof, he posted stuff that would blow you away. His "insult" was the result of Mock being beamed into Dom's body (think Whoopie Goldberg in Ghost movie) and gave you the answer from Mock. I wont neg rep you but Dom should just for not understanding what others posted below his STFU , Dimwit post. You have lots to learn here before knowing what an insult is. If you arent witty enough to understand, try broncomania forums.
Nice to see that we can get OT with it only being a side note on Mock and not Mock actually taking the thread to whole other area. He tried though.

cmhargrove
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM

This has more to do with the O-line than a superstar RB (for Denver). We need a guy of "starter quality" that can break open about 3-4 games a year, but we don't expect the RB to be the whole offense.

O-line sets the tone for the run game.
Opposing defenses sell out to the run.
This opens play action.
There is the Broncos winning formula in a nutshell.

We have the talent at RB to make this work. The questions and spotlight should be fairly directed to the O-line. They are the absolute key to this, not the RB. Henry was 100% expendable.

Say all you want about Henry being 230 lbs of power - how did that work on gameday? Look at Travis' four TD's from last year. There were two against the Raiders, one against KC, and one against Jacksonville. One of those was against a playoff team. He didn't score against Indy, San Diego, Pittsburgh, or even Houston. What good is all the power if it doesn't get you into the end zone?

He will not be missed.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Your the one enjoying your gay little inside jokes by calling other people names and expecting everyone to know what the f__k you are talking about. Any joke you have to explain is pretty lame.

You asking me to do actual research for me to comprehend your stupid, lame joke and I'm a douchebag?

Ok, i said i would not neg rep you in the last post, but this one got it for you. DOnt cry to Dom or anyone else if you dont understand Mockisms. Instead of mouthing off, try actually finding out what Mock is about. THis will help you to understand what the boards are about. You are on your own on this one buddy and it isnt going to be pretty. Do your research and you will know the way of the MANE.
START WITH THIS THREAD TO UNDERSTAND.....http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=56755&highlight=METH+ALLEY

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Stugots the 2nd--- It isnt our fault that you do not get the joke about Mock. Before his peanut butter taste testing right before putting up the Arkansas State roof, he posted stuff that would blow you away. His "insult" was the result of Mock being beamed into Dom's body (think Whoopie Goldberg in Ghost movie) and gave you the answer from Mock. I wont neg rep you but Dom should just for not understanding what others posted below his STFU , Dimwit post. You have lots to learn here before knowing what an insult is. If you arent witty enough to understand, try broncomania forums.
Nice to see that we can get OT with it only being a side note on Mock and not Mock actually taking the thread to whole other area. He tried though.

This is what I can't stand about the world of gay internet forums. As time goes on, clicks begin to form and mudslinging starts. None of this has anything to do with the fact that Denver's RB situation if flat out f&*ked.

One a related note, I don't read posts that have nothing to do with football.

worm
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Classic case of addition by subtraction.

BroncoBuff
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I called it

MOCK ROCKS!

Watemock called it ... time to prop the man, folks.

elsid13
Ok, i said i would not neg rep you in the last post, but this one got it for you. DOnt cry to Dom or anyone else if you dont understand Mockisms. Instead of mouthing off, try actually finding out what Mock is about. THis will help you to understand what the boards are about. You are on your own on this one buddy and it isnt going to be pretty. Do your research and you will know the way of the MANE.
START WITH THIS THREAD TO UNDERSTAND.....http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=56755&highlight=METH+ALLEY

That still make me laugh :rofl:

DomCasual

Well, it's like this. Let's say you go to Australia, go to a bar, order a beer, and have the bartender say, "Here's your beer, mate."

You clearly are homophobic, considering your signature and willingness to throw around the term "gay" like it's some form of slander.

So, when the bartender calls you "mate" - you stupidly assume he's somehow propositioning you. So, you pick a fight with him.

In such a case, who's the douchebag - you, or the bartender?

Here's a hint: It's not the bartender.

Take it a step farther. Let's say the bartender tells you that you have misunderstood what he was saying - that the term "mate" is a common cultural expression there. You don't care - you still want to fight him.

That advances you from "douchebag" right on to "stupid douchebag."

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:26 PM

I hate the fact that your stupid jokes need someone to do research before someone can understand the jokes. I imagine Eddie Murphy telling people to go to the library to get the jokes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

WTF does a mockism have to do with Denver's running back situation and being able to talk about it?

DomCasual
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I hate the fact that your stupid jokes need someone to do research before someone can understand the jokes. I imagine Eddie Murphy telling people to go to the library to get the jokes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

WTF does a mockism have to do with Denver's running back situation and being able to talk about it?

It has everything to do with it, you Fonecan dimwit!

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, it's like this. Let's say you go to Australia, go to a bar, order a beer, and have the bartender say, "Here's your beer, mate."

You clearly are homophobic, considering your signature and willingness to throw around the term "gay" like it's some form of slander.

So, when the bartender calls you "mate" - you stupidly assume he's somehow propositioning you. So, you pick a fight with him.

In such a case, who's the douchebag - you, or the bartender?

Here's a hint: It's not the bartender.

Take it a step farther. Let's say the bartender tells you that you have misunderstood what he was saying - that the term "mate" is a common cultural expression there. You don't care - you still want to fight him.

That advances you from "douchebag" right on to "stupid douchebag."

The correct answer to your question is you...for talking about this and not football.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Stugot, I know you are die hard on talking about Henry and that is fine. But please take a few moments and check out the thread i pasted for you to understand him. He is a hall of Famer on this board for good or bad.

elsid13
06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
The correct answer to your question is you...for talking about this and not football.

Dude this is off season on the mane, every thread wanders around like a crack whore looking for a john.

Atwater His Ass
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
This is what I can't stand about the world of gay internet forums. As time goes on, clicks begin to form and mudslinging starts. None of this has anything to do with the fact that Denver's RB situation if flat out f&*ked.

It's called a community, and it's what keeps the life-blood flowing in any forum; especially if said forum wants to have a long life.

I see with your 118 posts that you are not yet in the know about this community, and with your current attitude, you will meet nothing but resistance with your posting "style" from the actual people around here that make this place go.

You can keep throwing up your "i just talk about football" flare shot, but I'll let you in on a little hint: no one is going to come to your aid.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Stugot, I know you are die hard on talking about Henry and that is fine. But please take a few moments and check out the thread i pasted for you to understand him. He is a hall of Famer on this board for good or bad.

No...no! I refuse it. Even though I have some time to kill and could go ahead and look at said thread...I refuse to take part in this type of crap. I would much rather paint a scene with these funny yellow smiley guys on the right.

ROFL! :strong: :wave: LOL ^5 :yayaya: :egbgb: Hilarious!

That was so much better than reading that crap.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
It's called a community, and it's what keeps the life-blood flowing in any forum; especially if said forum wants to have a long life.

I see with your 118 posts that you are not yet in the know about this community, and with your current attitude, you will meet nothing but resistance with your posting "style" from the actual people around here that make this place go.

You can keep throwing up your "i just talk about football" flare shot, but I'll let you in on a little hint: no one is going to come to your aid.

My "style" consists of talking Bronco football. I could see how that style could rub people the wrong way...especially on a Bronco forum.

I'm new to the world of internet forums and have learned that people that frequent these forums pretty much don't have lives. It's kind of sad.

Atwater His Ass
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
My "style" consists of talking Bronco football. I could see how that style could rub people the wrong way...especially on a Bronco forum.

I'm new to the world of internet forums and have learned that people that frequent these forums pretty much don't have lives. It's kind of sad.

Don't worry, you stick out worse than a sore thumb in so far as being new the internet. But it seems you're up to speed on all the cliches already. Good for you bigballer!

Protip: you can hit f5 to refresh the screen w/o leaving the thread so you can tell us all what a life we don't have even faster!

Los Broncos
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Dam, really wanted to see him make it in Denver, oh well better for the team I guess.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM

I called it. mock 1

Reverend 0.

Bonus clip

This is absolutely true and that clip was great.

...but let's be honest here, Mock. All time newly updated scorecard probably reads more like mock 1, reverend 999... I only screwed myself out of quadruple digits.

24champ
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
This is a classic thread....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=50589

DBroncos4life
06-02-2008, 08:06 PM
well if it sucked for the nine kids before its going to get worse for them now.

Florida_Bronco
06-02-2008, 08:08 PM

There is no reason to bring that back up.

TheReverend
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM

GREAT call! The best part is by the time you get halfway through the first page, the thread title has ALREADY become extremely ironic and completely hilarious!

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
That would be awesome. Jordan is about as elusive as a pile of ****

I really must add ::sarc:: when mentioning anything Raider! Ha!

colonelbeef
06-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Last time I saw StugotsII being an ass, I passed it off as something having been lost in translation. Now I know for a fact that he is a large douchebag.

24champ
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
There is no reason to bring that back up.

Why not? It's f***ing hilarious.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 08:20 PM
No...no! I refuse it. Even though I have some time to kill and could go ahead and look at said thread...I refuse to take part in this type of crap. I would much rather paint a scene with these funny yellow smiley guys on the right.

ROFL! :strong: :wave: LOL ^5 :yayaya: :egbgb: Hilarious!

That was so much better than reading that crap.

No it isnt and you must be the life of the party! Take the drug and check out the threads. If you continue in this anger, you will be rediculed like Mock. You are taking yourself and this offseason forum way too serious. On 2nd thought, dont check out the threads as you seem to have no humor in fun.

Maximus
Here comes Over the hill Alexander!

stugotsII
Last time I saw StugotsII being an ass, I passed it off as something having been lost in translation. Now I know for a fact that he is a large douchebag.

When was this?

DenverBrit

You're being way too defensive.

Speaking of which.......how do you know Al Davis is gay?? :wiggle:

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM

What will he do when we foodjack a thread? "He probably doesnt eat because that is for gays."

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
You're being way too defensive.

Speaking of which.......how do you know Al Davis is gay?? :wiggle:

He asked time to give him a rim job. I did it, but that doesn't make ME gay...does it?

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
What will he do when we foodjack a thread? "He probably doesnt eat because that is for gays."

Hasn't this thread already been "mock" jacked?

theAPAOps5
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM

This post epitomizes the old Mock. http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1394962&postcount=15

DenverBrit
06-02-2008, 08:27 PM
He asked time to give him a rim job. I did it, but that doesn't make ME gay...does it?

Not at all. It makes you a flaming shirt lifter.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2008, 08:27 PM
No, you are the new punching bag in place of Mock. Do yourself a favor and dont go down the same road. You are reminding me of Bronco jamus and the famous LaDamion Tomlinson "action" figure of sitting on the bench thread. As you can see, he hasnt lived that one down and that is from JAN/FEB.

colonelbeef
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
When was this?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1964371#post1964371

I agreed with a poster about nobody having viable replacements whenever they called for Shanahan's firing. You negative repped me and said in the rep post that "Your (sic) a giant dick"

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt right up until this thread. As of now, as far as I am concerned, you are a stiff, dimwitted doucheneck. I hope you stick around long enough to prove otherwise.

:kiss:

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Not at all. It makes you a flaming shirt lifter.

I guess it's better than a donkey punching knuckle diver.

theAPAOps5
06-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Buy a ****ing vowel, dimwit.

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1964371#post1964371

I agreed with a poster about nobody having viable replacements whenever they called for Shanahan's firing. You negative repped me and said in the rep post that "Your (sic) a giant dick"

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt right up until this thread. As of now, as far as I am concerned, you are a stiff, dimwitted doucheneck. I hope you stick around long enough to prove otherwise.

:kiss:

If the shirt lifter fits....

SonOfLe-loLang
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Here comes Over the hill Alexander!

i sincerely doubt it

stugotsII
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Buy a ****ing vowel, dimwit.

How's this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/tx_eggman/wheel-stfu.jpg