PDA

View Full Version : Which new Bronco will have the greatest impact in 2008-2009?

SoDak Bronco
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I know it is early, but we are going to need some of this new blood to play great for us to have the turn-around type season we are all hoping for. Who do you think it will be and why?

cmhargrove
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
I know it is early, but we are going to need some of this new blood to play great for us to have the turn-around type season we are all hoping for. Who do you think it will be and why?

Easy answer - Ryan Clady. period. Cutler is the heart of this franchise, protect him, and he will destroy defenses. Also, the running game has suffered, especially with scoring. I think people will be surprised with Clady's downfield run blocking. It will be fun to see him lay some licks on LB's, Safeties, and Corners. He's going to knock some lights out in the run game, and allow Cutler the time to operate (may take a few games to get rolling).

Number 2 (in 2008) - Niko Kooter-vittles. All he has to do is his job. If he is an effective MLB, he was a steal, and will tremendously help our miserable run defense. I think he brings football savvy and likes to lay the wood. I think that it will become evident in TC that this guy can bring it against the run. He is going to make tackles head on instead of glancing sideways or chasing like DJ did last year. That also allows DJ to be more effective - big score.

Number 3 - Dwayne Robertson (if he stays healthy). For the same reasons as above. We need a strong DT to find out what Elvis and Jarvis are capable of. I think our switch back to the "old system" helps our D right off the bat, but we need a DT that occasionally commands a double team. Robertson has also has a good history against the Chargers - a major plus!

broncosteven
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
It all starts in the Trenches, Our team will ebb and flow with the play at LT.

SoDak Bronco
05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I think Eddie Royal will be a shot in the arm for our just blah special teams these past few years...If Eddie $ Royal can help turn the field a couple times a game, that will be a huge factor that could win us a few games that last year we didn't have that impact player touching the ball 10 times a game..

BroncoMan4ever
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
i think it is goingto come down to Robertson and Niko, simply because if Clady is just good enough to keep Cutler upright to begin the season then that is fine with me, but the defense is what needs to step up.

and if it is on the defense Robertson and Niko need to be capable of doing their jobs

broncosteven
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
If Royal and or Torrian make an impact this year, remind me to rep you. I doubt it though. Glass is half full tonight

BroncoBuff
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
It's tempting to say Ryan Clady, but as a rookie he won't be much better or worse than Matt Lepsis was on that bad knee last year.

And Eddie Royal's return skills - while impressive - probably won't be earth-shattering, especially seeing that Martinez did have one TD return, and Andre Hall was "inches" from taking three different kick returns to the house, according to Mike Shanahan. I can't imagine Royal will do much beter than those two combined.

So I say Darrell Jackson. This board and Bronco Nation in general has greeted the Jackson signing with a collective "ho-hum," and some don't even think he'll be a starter. I just don't get that. Jackson is a first-rate WR. Take a close look at these stats ... he struggled a bit last season, his first with the 49ers, but still managed decent #2 WR numbers.

Prior to then, except for one injury season, he was always a productive workhorse reciever:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4025/53039478do4.jpg

Yup. DARRELL JACKSON is the answer to this poll question. If you doubt it, just think back to our #2 WR last year ... Glenn Martinez had a whopping 14 catches Uhh

Boss Man
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I totally agree Jackson should return to the way he was in seatle. In San Fran he had no help. Poor QB play, gore wasnt completley healthy, and a terrible offensive line. He also mentioned in an interview that he didnt like San Frans offense because there were a lot of fly routes, and he like our version of the west coast offense much better.

Barring health issues, i think Denver could legitimatley be looking at a top 5 offense

Breck Bronc
05-28-2008, 10:47 PM
It's tempting to say Ryan Clady, but as a rookie he won't be much better or worse than Matt Lepsis was on that bad knee last year.

And Eddie Royal's return skills - while impressive - probably won't be earth-shattering, especially seeing that Martinez did have one TD return, and Andre Hall was "inches" from taking three different kick returns to the house, according to Mike Shanahan. I can't imagine Royal will do much beter than those two combined.

So I say Darrell Jackson. This board and Bronco Nation in general has greeted the Jackson signing with a collective "ho-hum," and some don't even think he'll be a starter. I just don't get that. Jackson is a first-rate WR. Take a close look at these stats ... he struggled a bit last season, his first with the 49ers, but still managed decent #2 WR numbers.

Prior to then, except for one injury season, he was always a productive workhorse reciever:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4025/53039478do4.jpg

Yup. DARRELL JACKSON is the answer to this poll question. If you doubt it, just think back to our #2 WR last year ... Glenn Martinez had a whopping 14 catches UhhAs long as Jackson can avoid the dropsies. He could be a very solid #2 WR as he's always had a knack for the end zone. His effectiveness will be tied to the other players on offense; ie, will Marshall come back from his hand injury and still be one of the best young WR's in the NFL, can Scheffler stay healthy and be the next big time Denver TE, can Stokley stay healthy and continue to be the "Slot Machine", can the offensive line give Cutler more time in the pocket?????

SoDak Bronco
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Bronco buff you make an intriging argument...I think you're right, Jackson will have a much better year than he did last year...also, what are you talkin about saying glenn was are #2 WR?? The dude was like 4 at best..

Punisher
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Niko,D-Rob and Royal will make big impacts this year,I think Clady will sturggle for one half of the season.

Dukes
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I put Robertson, mostly because he's a proven veteran who (despite his bone on bone knee) continues to STAY on the field, which to me is more important than what a physical says.

And after reading Buffs argument for Jackson, that would be a good choice as well.

I just can't bring myself to pick a rookie over proven veterans

Los Broncos
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Clady and Royal IMO.

Arkie
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
"other"
Peyton Hillis

Kaylore
05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Clady will play every snap and affect every play. How can it be anyone but him?

Sassy
05-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! ;D

Inkana7
05-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Robertson. His presence alone will make our Run defense much, much better.

cmhargrove
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM

And, Jackson's performance hinges on Clady doing his job...

No strong LT play, no "top five" offense.
Clady has to step it up for the pieces to come together.
It worked for the Colts and Browns last year, Clady can do it this year.

no-pseudo-fan
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Clady. He is going to make the biggest impact, good or bad.

Ziggy
05-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Clady...It all starts up front.

Beantown Bronco
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm going with Prater....and not just because he's my adopt a Bronco. He is the only one from the list that can single-handedly affect the outcome of an entire phase of the game. Think about it. If he kicks the ball into the EZ for touchbacks 3/4 of the time or better, it doesn't matter how bad the other 10 guys are in the return game. The ball is going out to the 20 regardless and one of our weakest units last year all of a sudden becomes a strength. No other individual on that list can have that same effect IMO.

Clady? Sure he can potentially do better than Lepsis, but he's a rookie, will make rookie mistakes, and still has to rely on the guys around him to put him in a position to succeed. Most likely he'll be getting quite a bit of help from Daniel Graham as well, so you've got to mark him down a little for that.

Robertson? I couldn't love the signing any more than I already do, and I think he will make a huge difference in the run defense in particular....but he will probably only be out there for about half the snaps, so by definition when he is on the sidelines half the time, he will not be making a huge impact.

Jackson? Again, love the signing and expect big things.....but we got pretty good production from our #2 and #3 WR spots last season, so unless he really comes up huge, this isn't really an area that I expect one person to come in and make a HUGE impact.

Royal? I had a post over on broncoscountry or broncosforums about this during our "break". The stats I was able to pull up from last season showed decisively that outside of 2 or 3 returners in the entire league, all the guys were lumped together within a few yards of each other in terms of yards per return average. A returner alone can't really make that big an impact, unless you were one of the worst units in the league last year, and contrary to popular opinion, the Broncos weren't. They were right in the middle of the pack in both punt returns and kickoff returns.....with the best teams averaging less than 5 yards per return more than them. And considering half the Broncos games are played at Mile High where there are so many touchbacks and so few opportunities to return the ball, there's little to no chance that the Broncos could ever be among the league elites in this area IMO.

Kaylore
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
The question wasn't "which player will most positively affect the game?" it was "which bronco will have the greatest impact?"

The more snaps you play, the more you affect the game, for better or for worse. A kicker is not always going affect a game the way someone who plays on either side of the line will. Left tackle is so important that its difficult for me to buy that anyone will have more influence on the team than Clady.

Hogan11
05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Another for Clady

OABB
05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Niko koo-teh-vee-das or dewayne robertson. I know we are supposed to pick one, but in this case, one affects the other, and I am not knowledgeable enough to tell you which one will actually improve the d more(I didn't notice jay's weight loss, so I am unable to read defenses.)

Beantown Bronco
05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
The question wasn't "which player will most positively affect the game?" it was "which bronco will have the greatest impact?"

Different words.....but same meaning IMO.

The more snaps you play, the more you affect the game, for better or for worse. A kicker is not always going affect a game the way someone who plays on either side of the line will.

A kicker can undo 50 snaps of good play by any one player with one single play. Just ask Elam last year. If that isn't the very definition of "impact", then I don't know what is.

Left tackle is so important that its difficult for me to buy that anyone will have more influence on the team than Clady.

I agree that it's importance is "up there" as far as positions go, but that doesn't mean it should be the default answer here. I take more things into account than just the position they play. I look at how the individual played the position last year, how much room there is for improvement (or regression), how much that individual's play can be affected by those around them, and how well I predict the guy coming in will do in relation to the guy he's replacing. In that scenario, sure there is lots of room for improvement at LT, but I just don't think Clady's play this year at least will be markedly different from Lepsis' play was last year. He will most likely have his struggles, and he will most likely require Graham's assistance. And considering his strengths and weaknesses can be covered up to some extent by those around him and by the play-calling, I don't think he will have the drastic impact this year that some are predicting.

You can't cover up the weaknesses of a kicker. And you can most certainly measure the impact of starting field position in this league. That's why I'm leaning towards a kicker, regardless of how many plays he's actually out there for.

TheReverend
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Because with as symbiotic an offensive line is, it'll actually be too difficult to guage and single out his personal impact with the healthy return and new configurations we're sure to see... unless you slow mo each snap and see how the protections are rolling etc.

Not saying he'll do poorly or won't win this poll rightfully, but it's wayyyyy too hard to tell.

I say Jackson has the best shot. Odds are he'll see the field the most, early and often and his impact will be pretty quanitifiable in yards, catches and TDs.

TheReverend
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
How does Niko get more votes than Boss outside of a Greek popularity contest?

1 guy has starting experience and will playing all the defensive snaps.
The other is a back-up fighting for the starting shot and will certainly be off the field in 40+% of the defense.

Ramathorn
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
what?? no love for marlon mcree. That guy can lay the lumber!

Inkana7
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM

The other is a back-up fighting for the starting shot and will certainly be off the field in 40+% of the defense.

Who says he's fighting for the starting spot? All reports out of Dove Valley have Spencer Larsen playing FB and Nate Webster never mentioned.

TheReverend
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Who says he's fighting for the starting spot? All reports out of Dove Valley have Spencer Larsen playing FB and Nate Webster never mentioned.

"Broncos coach Mike Shanahan mentioned Nate Webster when asked who might compete with Niko Koutouvides to start at middle linebacker."

Also mentioned have been Larsen, and Winborn.

montrose
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
In terms of the player I expect to make the best impact of these newcomers - I believe it will be Eddie Royal in the return game. For the first time since Darrien Gordon, punt teams will hold their breath punting to us opposed to Broncos fans holding their breath that we simply hold on to the ball.

Clady will have a great impact on the season seeing he's playing the 2nd-most important position on the field. I'm uncertain as to how much of an immediate upgrade he'll be as a rookie.

Shanny said Larsen is playing FB in the first minicamp and MLB in the 2nd.

cmhargrove
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM

MLB sets the tone in the running game. If he can help stuff the run on first and second down (and wear down the ball carrier), he helps set the tone of the game. We need a first and second down wrecking ball. DJ was good, but he was no Al Wilson. Niko needs to bring the hammer down on guys like LT or LJ if we are going to climb back to the top of the AFC West.

TheReverend
05-29-2008, 02:27 PM
MLB sets the tone in the running game. If he can help stuff the run on first and second down (and wear down the ball carrier), he helps set the tone of the game. We need a first and second down wrecking ball. DJ was good, but he was no Al Wilson. Niko needs to bring the hammer down on guys like LT or LJ if we are going to climb back to the top of the AFC West.

The MLB that won't even be given a headset, or on the field half the game isn't setting the tone for much of anything other than a role player.

dbfan21
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Dang! Everyone is making compelling cases...I could see Clady, DJack, Royal, Prater and Robertson all having a massive impact this year.

Montrose, you mentioned Darrien Gordon in an earlier post. That guy was awesome and never gets the love he deserves. He came up huge in the regular season against the Panthers (1997, I believe) and in the AFCC game vs the Jets and in SB XXXIII. He wasn't the greatest CB in Broncos history, but he was always around the ball and made plays.

Anyways, I will say that Robertson (if healthy) will have the biggest impact because of his run stuffing abilities. First runner up goes to Ryan Clady.

Go Broncos!!

Drek
05-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Clady and Robertson, because they're stepping into positions where we were well below average last year. Their impact might not be positive, but they're the two lynch pin off-season acquisitions, our team will go as they go.

My pick outside those two however would be Hillis, I think he'll win the starting job handily. Once starting he'll give us superior blocking, pass catching, and some good short yardage carries. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up 500 total yards, 6 touchdowns, and some good special teams play.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Still looking for a robertson thread...DAMN

FireFly
03-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Well looks like the board got it right with Clady at any rate.

I must admit, I was one of the many that had high hopes for Robertson.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Well looks like the board got it right with Clady at any rate.

I must admit, I was one of the many that had high hopes for Robertson.

I was too... I'm not always blaming the fans - I'm moreso triyng to show where our coaching staff was at in evaluating/putting together something called a defense... and how this can skew the fan bases opinions on players... etc.