PDA

View Full Version : Boss Bailey says 'it feels unreal'

HEAV
03-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Joining Denver topped wish list for linebacker

It seems so perfect, Boss Bailey still has difficulty believing the situation in which he now finds himself.

He gets to play with his brother Champ and good friend Dre Bly with the Broncos.

He has the chance to earn as much as $20.5 million during the next five seasons and to play under a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach in Mike Shanahan.

And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well.

"It feels unreal, really," he said Tuesday in his first public comments about his new team since joining the Broncos last week.

Even the residue of the team's 7-9 finish last season washes right off Bailey, especially given the freedom he now feels having left the Detroit Lions, with whom he averaged only five victories the past five years.

"They're putting together a winning team," the linebacker said. "I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."

Aside from Bailey, the Broncos have added linebacker Niko Koutouvides and safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel. The Broncos also will get defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban back from a severe Achilles' tendon injury.

All the moves are aimed at shoring up a group that finished 30th in rush defense and contributed heavily to a dismal allowance of 409 points.

"I don't think we'll be the 30th-ranked run defense again," Bailey said. "There's too high of expectations to even think about something like that."

Bailey, 28, witnessed firsthand what arguably was the Broncos' rock-bottom moment in 2007 - a 44-7 loss at Ford Field to the Lions on Nov. 4 that demonstrated why Murphy's Law was coined.

Even taking into consideration comments from his brother during frequent in-season phone conversations about the state of the Broncos, the lopsided nature of that game was "a little surprising" to the younger Bailey. It was considerably less stunning when the Broncos called Boss Bailey after the season and told him they were seeking reinforcements.

"Denver definitely was No. 1 on my list," he said. "What better situation can I go into? Having a chance to start, play a ton of snaps and be with my brother and one of my good friends and a storied franchise. So why wouldn't you want to go to the Denver Broncos?"

The chance to play with Champ, 29, whom he considers his confidante, was a particular selling point. The two most recently were teammates during Boss' freshman season at the University of Georgia in 1998.

"I'm still trying to get used to the idea I'll be playing with my brother," he said, adding their first go-round was "exciting."

Bailey never actually dreamed he and Champ might play together as pros until he became a free agent and looked around the league at various opportunities. That's when need and desire intersected.

"Sometimes when things seem too good to be true you don't want to wrap your mind around it too much and especially start thinking about it," Boss Bailey said. "But when the process began and it seemed like it would be a possibility, it was like, 'OK, don't get too excited until it's done.' "

Now that it's done, communication shouldn't be an issue between the brothers, even from the start.

"We have the type of relationship where we can give each other a look and know what's going on," Boss Bailey said. "That's just the way it is."

He even has some familiarity with the AFC West, given that the Lions not only played the Broncos last season but also the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders.

In doing so, Bailey matched up in coverage on San Diego's Antonio Gates and Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, two of the NFL's premier tight ends. It's something he'll have to get used to beginning next season.

Bailey said he didn't allow Gates to get the ball and limited Gonzalez to one reception off a quarterback scramble.

"It's a great challenge," Bailey said of future matchups with the two tight ends.

And, showing some of the swagger his brother exudes, he said it's a challenge he embraces.

"I kind of possess some of the same confidence," he said. "It's just believing in your skills."

McCREE DETAILS: McCree's contract with the Broncos is a one-year deal worth $2 million, including a $500,000 bonus to sign.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/12/boss-bailey-says-it-feels-unreal/

Boss Bailey:"I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."

dbfan21
03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I thought that comment was pretty bold, too. I am assuming he was referencing Javon. Is there anyone else who you think Mike was thinking about when he made that comment?

DelBronco
03-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I thought that comment was pretty bold, too. I am assuming he was referencing Javon. Is there anyone else who you think Mike was thinking about when he made that comment?

I wondered the same. Who else is gone that was here last year? Gold?

2KBack
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
meh, that sounds like the type of thing you'd tell a free agent.

I just hope this excitement translates to the field.

bronco_diesel
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
i think that also applies to some of the d-linemen who didn't make it to the end of the season.

i like the comments by boss - i think his relationships with champ and dre could really help with the chemistry of the defense.

Paladin
03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
I wondered about Gold. His alleged tackling skills seemed to deteriorate even more when he found out it was fun to jump on the RBs' back and ride...

Sort of like Bly....

You suppose they scored the rides a la Bull Riding?

Now if they would get a good DT, the rest is available in the draft. One year to train, and then SB!!!!

RunSilentRunDeep
03-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Shanny is talking about the last couple of years

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer

Bob's your Information Minister
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Wait, Bailey is playing SLB?

The guy is a WLB. What are your defensive coaches thinking? He's going to get killed by tight ends playing SLB.

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 10:28 AM

The guy is a WLB. What are your defensive coaches thinking? He's going to get killed by tight ends playing SLB.

Damn, you are the epitome of a troll...

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=7&season=9

PRO: Bailey is the teamís strongside linebacker, and he provides versatility, having played both inside and outside positions, in the linebacker corps with the use of his speed and talent. As a rookie in 2003, Bailey immediately became the Lionsí starter at strongside linebacker and started all 16 games, emerging as one of the top young linebackers in the NFL and showing the potential to be an all-pro. The Lions took Bailey in the second round with the 34th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft.

03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Why does that matter? Detroit's defense was terrible.

He's too small to play SLB.

cmhargrove
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Bob, before I just take a shot at this, why don't you explain yourself. The article reads that Bailey only gave up one reception to Gates + Gonzales last year - did you read that? Bailey should be much faster and better in coverage than Webster. DJ will most likely be WLB where his speed and open field tackling will be an asset once again.

The question isn't about Bailey (he should be an improvement over Webster), it is about our new guy in the middle - Niko. If he is ready to hit hard in the middle, we have significantly improved our LB corps. Otherwise, plan B isn't too bad if DJ stays in the middle and Winborn takes WLB - he played very well in that spot at the end of last year.

I don't even know where "getting killed by TE's" comes into the equation. Did you read the article?

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Why does that matter? Detroit's defense was terrible.

He's too small to play SLB.

6' 3" 235 ? ... you really are an idiot.

cmhargrove
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
For those who don't live in Denver, here was the video from CBS4 Denver interviewing the Bailey Brothers:

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=39835@kcnc.dayport.com

While you are there, the Lynch interview about him almost leaving, and the Foxworth interview about him understanding he is still expendable are pretty interesting. Check 'em out...

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
For those who don't live in Denver, here was the video from CBS4 Denver interviewing the Bailey Brothers:

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=39835@kcnc.dayport.com

While you are there, the Lynch interview about him almost leaving, and the Foxworth interview about him understanding he is still expendable are pretty interesting. Check 'em out...

I'm still curious about the 4.3 - 40 and 46 inch vertical part... I'm sorry but I cannot see Boss Bailey jumping 46 inches...

03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't even know where "getting killed by TE's" comes into the equation. Did you read the article?

I'm talking about in the running game. He's going to get engulfed. And I don't care what he's listed at. The dude has the build of a wide receiver.

Atlas
03-12-2008, 10:45 AM

I think that statement was probably representative of the last two years, not just last years team.

Gerrad Warren comes to mind.

telluride
03-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer

Now, don't be bad-mouthing poor Jake. He always seemed to play his heart out.

Back on topic, I really hope that the Boss addition works out. It's a good story.

RaiderH8r
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm talking about in the running game. He's going to get engulfed. And I don't care what he's listed at. The dude has the build of a wide receiver.

Says the guy built like a tomato.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
"And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well."

In bold is the most important and curious quote of the article...

Is this indicative of the nickle being composed of DJ and Boss, or has Slowik shared in the same frustration in DJ that Coyer experienced and planning on running Niko/Drafted LB and Boss in the nickle?

bowtown
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
"And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well."

In bold is the most important and curious quote of the article...

Is this indicative of the nickle being composed of DJ and Boss, or has Slowik shared in the same frustration in DJ that Coyer experienced and planning on running Niko/Drafted LB and Boss in the nickle?

I think it will be the former. I'd guess that the Mike will come out for nickel.

HEAV
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer

Plummer had more heart and guts than all of those players combined. Jake wanted to win every game.

Man-Goblin
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Plummer had more heart and guts than all of those players combined. Jake wanted to win every game.

I hear ya there, but his commitment during the offseason and during the week was always questioned. But this is off-topic.

We need a Jake Plummer thread to sort all this out!

DenverBrit
03-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Before trying to talk with Boob, understand him.

In a 'nutshell':

id∑i∑ot /ˈɪdiət/ Pronunciation Key
- Show Spelled Pronunciation[id-ee-uht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
Ėnoun
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation,
having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
6' 3" 235 ? ... you really are an idiot.

Every time Bob says something it reveals how incredibly ignorant to football he is. Boss has been slotted as a Sam since he was a draft prospect.

Jake Plummer had all the heart of a lion on Sunday. On Monday through Saturday he wouldn't give a rat's ass about football.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm still curious about the 4.3 - 40 and 46 inch vertical part... I'm sorry but I cannot see Boss Bailey jumping 46 inches...

Those numbers are from the combine. He's been injured a few times since then. Articles and the subsequent threads like these only serve to create disappointment when the season begins. People here honestly believe Boss is going to be some kind of bad ass for us. We'll be lucky if he's average and plays all 16 games.

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Those numbers are from the combine. He's been injured a few times since then. Articles and the subsequent threads like these only serve to create disappointment when the season begins. People here honestly believe Boss is going to be some kind of bad ass for us. We'll be lucky if he's average and plays all 16 games.

Agreed.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm on the fence here. He's another "great potential" player, much like our very own DJ Williams. The question is, what has been Boss' hang-up? I don't think it's out of the question to assume that the hang-up may very well have been the Detroit Lions.

Was Detroit's Boss Bailey worth the hype this board saw this off-season?

With out a question, NO.

Will Denver's Boss Bailey be worth the hype?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Tool's are there. Let's see him use them.

Broncojef
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM

I think compared to where we stood last year he is a major upgrade and probably the reason people are happy with the signing. He carries a set of intangibles with Dre Bly being his friend and a known commodity and his brother there to sync up with that may also keep him at a certain level throughout the year. Get one thing straight nothing at all can be more disappointing than watching the LB core we had last year.

03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Boss has been slotted as a Sam since he was a draft prospect.

Again, why does that matter? The Lions defense SUCKS. Was Boss making Pro Bowls at SLB? Hell no.

c_lazy_r
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Jake was super-competitive on Sundays but wasn't willing to put in the study time to become better. I don't think anyone ever questioned his heart.

Smiling Assassin27
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
So did the Chief's defense--for many years. Does that mean that Jared Allen is really a DT? You make no sense sometimes, Bobo. The (false) idea that Boss isn't a Sam has no bearing on the quality of a defensive squad. That's like saying that the Chief's offense sucked this year because Brady Croyle is really a punter, not a QB.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm on the fence here. He's another "great potential" player, much like our very own DJ Williams. The question is, what has been Boss' hang-up? I don't think it's out of the question to assume that the hang-up may very well have been the Detroit Lions.

Was Detroit's Boss Bailey worth the hype this board saw this off-season?

With out a question, NO.

Will Denver's Boss Bailey be worth the hype?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Tool's are there. Let's see him use them.

My problem there is why didn't it affect Ernie Simms' production? He's been great for the lions and were he not playing in Detroit would probably get some pro-bowl votes. So now you have a case where there's two guys and one was able to play hard and the other wasn't.

Now guys change scenery and sometimes it makes all the difference in the world. Our own Bertrand Berry is an example. I'm someone who believes that you can't paint a tiger black and call it a panther. I expect Boss Bailey the Bronco to look a lot like Boss Bailey the Lion.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
My problem there is why didn't it affect Ernie Simms' production? He's been great for the lions and were he not playing in Detroit would probably get some pro-bowl votes. So now you have a case where there's two guys and one was able to play hard and the other wasn't.

Now guys change scenery and sometimes it makes all the difference in the world. Our own Bertrand Berry is an example. I'm someone who believes that you can't paint a tiger black and call it a panther. I expect Boss Bailey the Bronco to look a lot like Boss Bailey the Lion.

Several reasons.

Most importantly, Rod Marinelli. Ernie Sims played Marinellis weak side... in the identical defensive system that turned great athlete Derrik Brooks into mega-superstar Derrik Brooks.

Also not helping his "bottom line" (total tackles), was his absence in nickle packages, much the same way DJ's "bottom line" dropped off when he was yanked from that package.

I honestly think he's much like DJ in untapped potential, though dissimiliar playing styles, and I have high hopes they both put it together this year.

bowtown
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
That's like saying that the Chief's offense sucked this year because Brady Croyle is really a punter, not a QB.

Bad analogy... that one is actually true.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Again, why does that matter? The Lions defense SUCKS. Was Boss making Pro Bowls at SLB? Hell no.

Bob even when you're right you're wrong. The point is you came into this thread looking for ways to rip on the Broncos new signings and started pulling crap out of your ass hoping something would stick.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Several reasons.

Most importantly, Rod Marinelli. Ernie Sims played Marinellis weak side... in the identical defensive system that turned great athlete Derrik Brooks into mega-superstar Derrik Brooks.

Also not helping his "bottom line" (total tackles), was his absence in nickle packages, much the same way DJ's "bottom line" dropped off when he was yanked from that package.

I honestly think he's much like DJ in untapped potential, though dissimiliar playing styles, and I have high hopes they both put it together this year.

Well I hope you're right. I'm definitely in the "show me" mode and will remain there until I see otherwise. The difference is that if he's just average I'll be thrilled whereas I bet we'll see a lot of the people here blow a nut if he doesn't have a pro-bowl season.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Show me some SLB's in the pro-bowl from 4-3s in the past decade.

The pro-bowl's a pony show. Take some 3-4 pass rusher hybrids and since they have sacks from being predominately DE's, they go. 4-3's take a lot more drops.

But you know this... you're just continuing your trend of extreme douchebaggery.

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Who's expecting him to be a pro-bowler? He would have signed for $40 million if that were the case... If you had any sense you'd realize that strong side backers rarely make the pro bowl because they don't put up the numbers of a middle or weak side backer. The pro bowl rosters consist of outside backers and inside backers. There is no distinction for strong side so it's damn near impossible to make the pro bowl on the strong side. Anything else I can shoot down? I can hardly believe you think you are qualified to write anything about the Chiefs... You are a disgrace!

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Well I hope you're right. I'm definitely in the "show me" mode and will remain there until I see otherwise. The difference is that if he's just average I'll be thrilled whereas I bet we'll see a lot of the people here blow a nut if he doesn't have a pro-bowl season.

I hear ya. Last year I was at the phase where if I at least saw DJ engage a lead blocker so someone could make the tackle, I was thrilled. Week 10 he actually started doing it.

azbroncfan
03-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Yep, Hopefully he can be as good as Donnie Spragan. :)

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Show me some SLB's in the pro-bowl from 4-3s in the past decade.

The pro-bowl's a pony show. Take some 3-4 pass rusher hybrids and since they have sacks from being predominately DE's, they go. 4-3's take a lot more drops.

But you know this... you're just continuing your trend of extreme douchebaggery.

Beat me to it.... :thumbsup:

03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Bob even when you're right you're wrong. The point is you came into this thread looking for ways to rip on the Broncos new signings and started pulling crap out of your ass hoping something would stick.

No, really, I didn't. I said when he was signed that Bailey was a good pickup. I just assumed he was going to play WLB, where he belongs.

He's still a good pickup. I don't think he'll be all that effective at SLB, though.

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
No, really, I didn't. I said when he was signed that Bailey was a good pickup. I just assumed he was going to play WLB, where he belongs.

He's still a good pickup. I don't think he'll be all that effective at SLB, though.

Where he belongs according to who? Back it up... big talker!

rovolution
03-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Actually Mike has said himself that Jake only loved the game on Sundays.

He didnt love the game Mon-Sat, and thats what separates the goods from the greats.

Jay, according to Mike, is a guy who has a deep passion for not only Sundays, but Xs and Os as well, and is a film rat.

Shanny loves that. Steve Young was the same way, and so was #7.

Eat, Sleep, Breathe football.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 12:35 PM

You're retarded.

It won't matter.

Slowik will change up over and under calls and bring a heavy blitz and all that will matter between weak and strong is who stays on the field in the nickle, if not both.

Brody will get broken in game one of the series... if he's still standing by then.

03-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Who's expecting him to be a pro-bowler? He would have signed for $40 million if that were the case... If you had any sense you'd realize that strong side backers rarely make the pro bowl because they don't put up the numbers of a middle or weak side backer. The pro bowl rosters consist of outside backers and inside backers. There is no distinction for strong side so it's damn near impossible to make the pro bowl on the strong side. Anything else I can shoot down? I can hardly believe you think you are qualified to write anything about the Chiefs... You are a disgrace!

Well, I actually wrote an article on the subject you just discussed months ago:

http://kan.scout.com/2/646943.html

If Johnson had earned a trip to Hawaii last year, it would have been almost unprecedented. Cover 2 linebackers (other than Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher) simply donít go to many Pro Bowls, and especially not strongside Cover 2 linebackers.

Every linebacker that made the Pro Bowl last season was either a middle linebacker, a weakside linebacker, or a strongside linebacker playing in a 3-4 scheme (which might as well be a defensive end) making the trip on account of huge sack numbers.

The same holds true for the 2005 and 2004 Pro Bowl rosters.

The truth is that Johnson might never get the notoriety he deserves banging heads with tight ends. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won a Super Bowl with a little-known player named Al Singleton playing Johnsonís role. His numbers were nothing impressive.

That is the life of a strongside linebacker. Itís the lunch pail position among linebackers. Seldom does it bring the glory of the big-play weakside position Ė the role that Johnson played in college at Texas, when he became one of the NCAAís most feared defenders.

So I'm not ignorant on the topic.

But I wasn't qualifying the Pro Bowl in terms of Boss Bailey's future, only his past. Kaylore tried to insinuate that because Boss had some limited experience at SLB in the past, he should continue playing that position. Why? It's not like he was some great, Pro-Bowl caliber defender at that position. He's horribly unsuited for it. He's good in coverage, but will get swallowed up in the run game. He'd much better as a pursuit linebacker.

The guy isn't going to make the Pro Bowl ANYWHERE, though, so it's really quite irrelevant.

broncs2bowl
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
the Gates Gonza;ez thing is huge........especially Gates he killed us last year

Killericon
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
http://uplink.space.com/attachments/270850-DoNotFeedTroll.jpg

03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
the Gates Gonza;ez thing is huge........especially Gates he killed us last year

Gonzalez destroyed Detroit this year. Not sure what happened there. If Bailey is so great at defending tight ends, why wasn't he stuck on Gonzalez most of the time?

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Well, I actually wrote an article on the subject you just discussed months ago:

http://kan.scout.com/2/646943.html

So I'm not ignorant on the topic.

But I wasn't qualifying the Pro Bowl in terms of Boss Bailey's future, only his past. Kaylore tried to insinuate that because Boss had some limited experience at SLB in the past, he should continue playing that position. Why? It's not like he was some great, Pro-Bowl caliber defender at that position. He's horribly unsuited for it. He's good in coverage, but will get swallowed up in the run game. He'd much better as a pursuit linebacker.

The guy isn't going to make the Pro Bowl ANYWHERE, though, so it's really quite irrelevant.

The key point is an entire professional career is hardly limited experience you dumb ****,

03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
The key point is an entire professional career is hardly limited experience you dumb ****,

Are we absolutely sure he's played every year at SLB? I could have sworn he was a WLB as a rookie. There was even speculation that Bailey would compete at WLB in Denver when he was signed.

chanesaw
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I think Romanowski might be the last SAM to make the Pro-Bowl.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Hilarious! According to Boob it is. Apparently 6'3" 223 pounds is too small to play Sam too! We should dig up some of his player predictions from last season to put his football scouting ability on real display.

03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Apparently 6'3" 223 pounds is too small to play Sam too!

To whom do you refer?

bowtown
03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Are we absolutely sure he's played every year at SLB? I could have sworn he was a WLB as a rookie. There was even speculation that Bailey would compete at WLB in Denver when he was signed.

Reposting for illiterate boobs

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=7&season=9

PRO: Bailey is the teamís strongside linebacker, and he provides versatility, having played both inside and outside positions, in the linebacker corps with the use of his speed and talent. As a rookie in 2003, Bailey immediately became the Lionsí starter at strongside linebacker and started all 16 games, emerging as one of the top young linebackers in the NFL and showing the potential to be an all-pro. The Lions took Bailey in the second round with the 34th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Nor was the EVER any speculation that Boss would play weak side for us. If you can find me a link saying as much (not written by you), I'll give you a hundred dollars.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
To whom do you refer?
Durrrrrrrr. Figure it out yourself.

03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Well butter my butt.

I'm done with this thread now.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 01:00 PM

"As a rookie in 2003, he started all 16 games at strong-side linebacker and was named the team's top rookie. He was regarded as one of the league's top linebackers with the potential to be All-Pro."

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=7649

Just reaffirming you're an idiot. At least look up facts before you run your mouth on a fan opponent's message board.

Killericon
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Hilarious! According to Boob it is. Apparently 6'3" 223 pounds is too small to play Sam too! We should dig up some of his player predictions from last season to put his football scouting ability on real display.

59 Edwards, Donnie LB 6-2 224

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I guess bowtown is a quicker draw than I am. I blame the casual distraction of my work environment!

broncocalijohn
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I wondered the same. Who else is gone that was here last year? Gold?

He could be including all the players that got cut during the season. Of course that wouldn't be the revolving door of Chad Mustard.

03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
59 Edwards, Donnie LB 6-2 224

Donnie is a weakside linebacker.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I guess bowtown is a quicker draw than I am. I blame the casual distraction of my work environment!

Yeah I'm at work too. I was on a phone call and some of the posts here had me somewhat distracted. I probably should get back to work...:P

Los Broncos
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I like the positive attitude he is displaying.

Other than Javon, i wonder who else it was.

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Well butter my butt.

Thanks for playing and have a nice day! Troll!

bowtown
03-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I blame my hatred of Bob. :)

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Well butter my butt.

There's not enough money (or butter for that matter!) in the world...

03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I think $500 would cover it.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

I'd think FORCED fumbles would cover it.

Los Broncos
03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I feel a hijacked thread coming on.

SleepingTiger
03-12-2008, 01:17 PM

does that cover the cost of the butter? thats alot of butter!

alkemical
03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Oh, and what is "unreal", is that like "surreal"?

03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd think FORCED fumbles would cover it.

Thief.

RunSilentRunDeep
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Now, don't be bad-mouthing poor Jake. He always seemed to play his heart out.

Back on topic, I really hope that the Boss addition works out. It's a good story.

You and Heav need to focus better. I agree Jake (I was a fan) played his heart out on Sundays. But he was not Captain Film Study Monday-Saturdays or in the offseason. With Shanny, it's all about prep. Jake isn't obsessive compulsive like the Peyton Mannings and Jerry Rices of the world.

It's probably why Jake is one of the more normal pro athletes you'll ever meet.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Thief.

Hush, I'm trying to enjoy my lunch.

That's something you'd have no concept of, given your daily 18 hour breakfasts.

DenverBrit
03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Well butter my butt.

Trolling of the worst kind.

azbroncfan
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Gonzalez destroyed Detroit this year. Not sure what happened there. If Bailey is so great at defending tight ends, why wasn't he stuck on Gonzalez most of the time?

Don't you have an article to go plagurize?

boltaneer
03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Donnie is a weakside linebacker.

Donnie has played ILB in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 as well. People said he was too small for that but he played at a high level.

I don't think size is the factor when you talk about Boss Bailey. It's the talent. I don't think he's particularly good or bad. He just seems to be a guy out there.

03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't you have an article to go plagurize?

How original.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Boss has been slotted as a Sam since he was a draft prospect.
Again, why does that matter?
It matters because YOU came in here calling him a Will, you knothead.

If Boss can stay healthy, he will really surprise you guys ... remember, his numbers in Detroit were artificially deflated cause he came off the field on 3rd downs ... (kinda like DJ ... hello??). This is why the Lions let him go ... because his best asset is as a pass defender, and why should they pay starter bucks for that asset when they have Ernie Sims (Will) on the field in nickel situations?

If he can improve a bit on his wrap-up tackling skills ... and stay healthy ... he will be a top-notch contributor for years to come.

nickademus
03-12-2008, 03:03 PM

wow. Kaylore. wow. man you are giving the community a whole lot of credit for this one. I dont think most of us believe that Boss is a pro bowler or anything, and I doubt he is gonna stay healthy all 16 games but after a season of webster even a slight upgrade is something to celebrate.

Beantown Bronco
03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
If Boss can stay healthy, he will really surprise you guys ... remember, his numbers in Detroit were artificially deflated cause he came off the field on 3rd downs ... (kinda like DJ ... hello??). This is why the Lions let him go ... because his best asset is as a pass defender, and why should they pay starter bucks for that asset when they have Ernie Sims (Will) on the field in nickel situations?

I'm confused by this. If his best asset is as a pass defender, then why take him off the field on third down? Wouldn't you find a way to keep him on the field (big nickel safety type)? You may want to rethink that one.

Second, doesn't it scare anyone that he wasn't "good enough" to see the field on third downs in Detroit, but he would be good enough in Denver?

BroncoBuff
03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm confused by this. If his best asset is as a pass defender, then why take him off the field on third down? Wouldn't you find a way to keep him on the field (big nickel safety type)? You may want to rethink that one.
Well no, that's not me talking, that's what I've read. Detroit pulled him on passing downs because they have the talented Ernie Sims to keep on the field in such situations. And his best asset is as a pass defender ... his tackling skills are very average atthis point.

We were willing to pay Boss a bit more, because we're going to keep him ON the field in nickel situations (see article at the start of this thread). We will likely pull MLB Niko Koutavides off the field on nickels to make way for Foxworth or Paymah.

Beantown Bronco
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Well no, that's not me talking, that's what I've read. Detroit pulled him on passing downs because they have the talented Ernie Sims to keep on the field in such situations. And his best asset is as a pass defender ... his tackling skills are very average atthis point..

My question still stands. If your main skill is defending the pass, why were you taken off the field on third downs? Sims is just one guy out of 11. There's still another slot for a LB and an extra spot for a defensive back/safety type.

We were willing to pay Boss a bit more, because we're going to keep him ON the field in nickel situations (see article at the start of this thread). We will likely pull MLB Niko Koutavides off the field on nickels to make way for Foxworth or Paymah.

Again, my point here still stands as well. I'm not talking money here; I'm talking talent. Doesn't it scare anyone that he wasn't good enough to play all three downs in Detroit, but he will be good enough to do it in Denver?

03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
It matters because YOU came in here calling him a Will, you knothead.

That's not what I said. I said I was surprised the Broncos were playing him at SLB. He's out of position there. The Lions made a mistake playing him there. I guess the Broncos are pretty desperate with DJ Williams though. This is his last chance to be a productive player.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
My question still stands. If your main skill is defending the pass, why were you taken off the field on third downs? Sims is just one guy out of 11. There's still another slot for a LB and an extra spot for a defensive back/safety type.

Again, my point here still stands as well. I'm not talking money here; I'm talking talent. Doesn't it scare anyone that he wasn't good enough to play all three downs in Detroit, but he will be good enough to do it in Denver?

I can't think of a situation where a team goes to the nickle and pulls their middle? I'm hardly claiming it doesn't happen, but if someone has an example let me know...

I can remember Philly keeping Trotter's slow ass out there in nickle.

This is why that initial quote is interesting to me... will it be DJ/Boss? Or does this foreshadow that Niko was "brought in to compete" but with our new top pick Dan Connor?

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
That's not what I said. I said I was surprised the Broncos were playing him at SLB. He's out of position there. The Lions made a mistake playing him there. I guess the Broncos are pretty desperate with DJ Williams though. This is his last chance to be a productive player.

You're so clueless.

When Boss has been healthy, at strongside, he's been referred to as a top LB.

DJ IS productive compared to other NFL LB's... it's only when you compare him to his own potential that he's not productive. He should be a premier LB instead of an above average LB.

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
wow. Kaylore. wow. man you are giving the community a whole lot of credit for this one. I dont think most of us believe that Boss is a pro bowler or anything, and I doubt he is gonna stay healthy all 16 games but after a season of webster even a slight upgrade is something to celebrate.

:rofl: Oh man, so you're saying everyone is this excited about him knowing what he is going to achieve? Good grief, these are dark times in Broncos country!

That's not what I said. I said I was surprised the Broncos were playing him at SLB. He's out of position there. The Lions made a mistake playing him there.
Yeah that's it! Stick to your stupid story. He played Sam in college. Scouts had him as a Sam in the combine. Two professional football franchises have him as a Sam. However you've already stuck your foot in your mouth by making an arbitray criticism based on looking at his measurables (and being wrong about them). Rather than accept you were wrong you're going to go with the idea that you know better than everyone else in the world what position he should play? All to cover up your failed attempt at trolling. Wow.

summerdenver
03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Back to topic. IMO talent is not a ? with Boss. Richard Smith who was the LB coach when detroit drafted him is now with Hou and they made a run at him. GB who plays Det twice a year and probably know him well made a run at him too.

Coming out he was considered a first round talent but slipped to 2nd due to injury concerns. His 40 times etc confirm that he is good athlete. The big ? for me is his knees. He had knee surgery before he was drafted (high school?) and also missed significant time in Detroit due to injuries. If he can stay healthy he will be solid player else we are back to where we were last year.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't think of a situation where a team goes to the nickle and pulls their middle? I'm hardly claiming it doesn't happen, but if someone has an example let me know...
Yeah, Beantown and Reverend ... it does seem strange to pull your MLB in nickel situations. But why not? There's no law that says your Mike is a three-down player. We're so used to Al Wilson, it will seem odd to pull the Mike.

And I don't have an answer for that, Beantown ... I don't know offhand who the Lions MLB was these past few years, but apparently they kept him on the field instead of Boss. And I think "big nickel" is really just a Larry Coyer term that referred to using Sam Brandon at nickel instead of Foxworth.

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, Beantown and Reverend ... it does seem strange to pull your MLB in nickel situations. But why not? There's no law that says your Mike is a three-down player. We're so used to Al Wilson, it will seem odd to pull the Mike.

And I don't have an answer for that, Beantown ... I don't know offhand who the Lions MLB was these past few years, but apparently they kept him on the field instead of Boss. And I think "big nickel" is really just a Larry Coyer term that referred to using Sam Brandon at nickel instead of Foxworth.

Why not pull your QB in obvious running downs?

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM

:thought:

alkemical
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I think i might want to do what homer did and change my name to max power

TheReverend
03-12-2008, 04:44 PM

The thought bubble alone makes me fearful someone might take that seriously...

Kaylore
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I think i might want to do what homer did and change my name to max power

Bring.

BACK.

AMESJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alkemical
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Bring.

BACK.

AMESJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.treesbydan.com/genealogy/exhibits/wellington%20s%20and%20annie%20j%20ames.jpg

I even gave him a commemorative stamp!

http://constructcreative.com/images/josh_stamp.jpg

Popcorn Sutton
03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
The thought bubble alone makes me fearful someone might take that seriously...

Wait.... You weren't serious? :~ohyah!: ;)

Northman
03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
How original.

Well, it is compared to your plagurism. :rofl:

03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
It feels good to be back.

Northman
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
It feels good to be back.

Just like old times eh?

Los Broncos
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I thought you were done with this thread?

bowtown
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
It feels good to bite backs.

yikes.

BroncoBuff
03-12-2008, 07:57 PM

I suppose that might work ... hmmm...

Drek
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM

I'd find it hard to believe any team would keep Ernie Sims, a top 15 pick and burgeoning star if developed correctly, on the bench come nickel downs to trot any other OLB out there. Unless the guy is a perennial pro bowler you're hurting the long term future of your franchise.

Also, saying that Boss must not be very good at pass pro because he didn't keep his job over Ernie Sims is pretty weak, Sims is already well above average and he'll be damn good in the not too distant future.

I don't think its a safe assumption that DJ isn't going to be playing MLB next year, in which case Boss is a pretty obvious nickel down choice to go with him. Even if we go with Niko or some rookie at MLB it isn't like DJ hasn't spent the past season playing MLB and therefore knows the necessary role an MLB takes on nickel downs. Is it typical? No, but its very doable thanks to DJ's previous year of experience.

Also, FYI, the Bucs took their MLB, Barrett Ruud, off the field last year during nickel downs I believe, at least occasionally. But a combo of Derrick Brooks (even old he's a coverage threat) and Cato June is pretty sweet on passing downs. Tough to opt against that.

nickademus
03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Kaylore;1913978]:rofl: Oh man, so you're saying everyone is this excited about him knowing what he is going to achieve? Good grief, these are dark times in Broncos country!

You are right we dont know how he will preform but who history tells us that he is better than webster. I just get how you are so down on a guy who is getting around 2.8 per and is making our best defencive player happy. I guess if he flops this year you can hit me up and rub it in but dang how about a smere of optimism untill then?

Punisher
03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I got a feeling that this is going to be a good year....Please don't quote this if we have a bad year :)

Atwater His Ass
03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I remain pessimistically optimistic about Boss.

broncs2bowl
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Boss is da man

fdf
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM

There are four candidates--a bunch of last year's pieces are gone: Gold. Warren. Sam Adams. Maybe Simeon Rice, but he was never very important to begin with.

03-13-2008, 12:01 AM

I suppose that might work ... hmmm...

Funny story. In Madden, I have a substitution package where my truckload halfback lines up under center for short yardage, out of a spread formation. It works usually, but the defense ALWAYS bites hard on the run.

One time, I'm nearing the end of a game, trailing with scant seconds left. I forget to un-sub my halfback from this formation, and call a pass play out of it. I snap the ball and suddenly realize my weak-armed HB is playing QB.

The defense bites so hard on the run everyone is wide open. I just lob up a wounded duck and the WR takes it all the way. Funny stuff.

azbroncfan
03-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Funny story. In Madden, I have a substitution package where my truckload halfback lines up under center for short yardage, out of a spread formation. It works usually, but the defense ALWAYS bites hard on the run.

One time, I'm nearing the end of a game, trailing with scant seconds left. I forget to un-sub my halfback from this formation, and call a pass play out of it. I snap the ball and suddenly realize my weak-armed HB is playing QB.

The defense bites so hard on the run everyone is wide open. I just lob up a wounded duck and the WR takes it all the way. Funny stuff.

And it was at this time that Bob the rip off artist became a self proclaimed football expert.

03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
And it was at this time that Bob the rip off artist became a self proclaimed football expert.

Why do you have to be so combative? I was just relating a funny story. It would have been enough for you to simply be amused and move on. But no. You had to stop and harrass me.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

OABB
03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Why do you have to be so combative? I was just relating a funny story. It would have been enough for you to simply be amused and move on. But no. You had to stop and harrass me.

yes. leave, and we will.

Popcorn Sutton
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM

A funny story here or there is not enough to compensate for your perpetual disrespect displayed on this board.

You intentionally try to get under people's skin and then you ask why people attack you?

Don't ask such stupid questions!

BroncoBuff
03-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I'd find it hard to believe any team would keep Ernie Sims, a top 15 pick and burgeoning star if developed correctly, on the bench come nickel downs to trot any other OLB out there. Unless the guy is a perennial pro bowler you're hurting the long term future of your franchise.

Also, saying that Boss must not be very good at pass pro because he didn't keep his job over Ernie Sims is pretty weak, Sims is already well above average and he'll be damn good in the not too distant future.

I don't think its a safe assumption that DJ isn't going to be playing MLB next year, in which case Boss is a pretty obvious nickel down choice to go with him. Even if we go with Niko or some rookie at MLB it isn't like DJ hasn't spent the past season playing MLB and therefore knows the necessary role an MLB takes on nickel downs. Is it typical? No, but its very doable thanks to DJ's previous year of experience.

Also, FYI, the Bucs took their MLB, Barrett Ruud, off the field last year during nickel downs I believe, at least occasionally. But a combo of Derrick Brooks (even old he's a coverage threat) and Cato June is pretty sweet on passing downs. Tough to opt against that.
Good post .... clarifys a lot of stuff in here.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 06:49 PM
bumppp

03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Heh heh. Bob owned this thread.

Cito Pelon
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
It's always educational, but not necessarily pretty, to look back.