PDA

View Full Version : Deeeetroit Tigers 2008

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
We have several Tigers fans here....time for our own thread.

I am geeked up for some Tigers baseball.

What a lineup they should have:

1: CF Curtis Granderson: .302 average, 122 runs, 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 HRs, 26 SBs, and 74 RBIs

2: 2B Placido Polanco: 200 hits, .341 average, 36 doubles

3: 3B Miguel Cabrera: .320 average, 34 HRs, 119 RBIs

4: RF Magglio Ordonez: .363 average, 216 hits, 54 doubles, 28 HRs, 139 RBIs

5: DH Gary Sheffield: 107 runs, 25 HRs, 75 RBIs, 22 SBs

6: 1B Carlos Guillen: .296 average, 35 doubles, 21 HRs, 102 RBIs

7: SS Edgar Renteria: .332 average, 87 runs, 30 doubles

8: C Pudge Rodriguez: .281 average, 31 doubles

9: LF Jacque Jones: .285 average, 33 doubles

If they keep Brandon Inge, he and Marcus Thames will be valuable reserves.

C Vance Wilson is back and Ramon Santiago SS/2B should make the roster.

Kind of rooting for OF/IF Ryan Raburn to make the roster as well.

Rocket 7
02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Go Tigers! Hey SSJ can you let everybody know about our pitching also?

Made of scars
02-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I am geeked up for some Tigers baseball.

I'm not but I am geeked up for some Brewers baseball. We'll see you in the world series.

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Starting 5 will be:

Justin Verlander
Jeremy Bonderman
Dontrelle Willis
Nate Robertson
Kenny Rogers

Some injury concerns there....Bonderman looks to be ok. Willis is boom/bust. Nate is Nate, good 4 or 5 man. If Kenny Rogers can make it though the year, I will be happy.

Injury concerns in the bullpen as well.

Joel Zumaya is out until midseason at least. Fernando Rodney is having more shoulder issues.

Left-handers Bobby Seay and Tim Byrdak will have to step up. My guess is Yorman Bazardo will be a long reliever.

Francisco Cruceta, Zach Miner, Jason Grilli and Denny Bautista will battle for the remaining bullpen slots.

Todd 'Rollercoaster' Jones will close again....missing Zoom or Rodney to setup the 7th and 8th scares me. Let's hope Rodney gets healthy.

Prospects: Losing Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller sucks, but the Tigers had to seize the moment and get Cabrera and Willis.

Top Prospects (from Baseball America):

1. Rick Porcello, rhp
2. Cale Iorg, ss
3. Scott Sizemore, 2b
4. Michael Hollimon, 2b/ss
5. Yorman Bazardo, rhp
6. Jeff Larish, 1b
7. Matt Joyce, of
8. Danny Worth, ss
9. Francisco Cruceta, rhp
10. Brandon Hamilton, rhp

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm not but I am geeked up for some Brewers baseball. We'll see you in the world series.

Sounds good to me.

TheChamp24
02-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Tigers have a strong team, but honestly, thinking about it some more, maybe they aren't as great as people make them out to be.
I mean, Magglio Ordonez had a freakin career year that he will unlikely repeat. Polanco likely won't be hitting .340 again. Granderson had a remarkeable year that I don't see him repeating.
They won't be the best team that a lot of people I've seen rate/rank them, but they are still one of the top teams in the big leagues. The rotation seems iffy though, that and the bullpen.

SouthStndJunkie
03-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Hitting does not concern me at all. They are going to mash all year.

Maggs may not have same year, but he is still a guy who will hit 25 HRs, 30 doubles, and drive in 100.

Granderson will keep playing well. He plays his ass off and loves the game. Spacious Comerica is a perfect fit for his game.

Polanco has hit: .338, .295, and .341 since coming to the Tigers. He brings it every game as well.

Now the rotation and the bullpen I agree with. Those concern me.

SouthStndJunkie
03-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Tigers have a strong team, but honestly, thinking about it some more, maybe they aren't as great as people make them out to be.

We Tiger fans are more than happy to have a team that will contend.

106 and 119 losses are not that far in the rear view mirror.

Baseball is back in a big way and we are just enjoying the ride.

SouthStndJunkie
03-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Dave Dombrowski.....you da man!

TheChamp24
03-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Hitting does not concern me at all. They are going to mash all year.

Maggs may not have same year, but he is still a guy who will hit 25 HRs, 30 doubles, and drive in 100.

Granderson will keep playing well. He plays his ass off and loves the game. Spacious Comerica is a perfect fit for his game.

Polanco has hit: .338, .295, and .341 since coming to the Tigers. He brings it every game as well.

Now the rotation and the bullpen I agree with. Those concern me.

Hitting is the least of the Tigers concerns, its good enough to win a Championship IMO. I was just mainly remarking that some guys had unbelievable years last year, and I don't know if that will continue. Same with how I view the Rockies.

We Tiger fans are more than happy to have a team that will contend.

106 and 119 losses are not that far in the rear view mirror.

Baseball is back in a big way and we are just enjoying the ride.

Yeah, but I keep on seeing the Tigers ranked like #1/#2, and I just don't see them being THAT good.

MechanicalBull
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Of course I don't see Maggs doing what he did last year but being surrounded by Cabrera, Sheffield and Guillen I can see him being around .320-.330 a little over 20 hrs and around 100 rbi.

The guy I see declining is Sheffield just due to injuries and mainly old age. I actually see Granderson improving. With all those big hitters behind him he should get a bunch of good looking pitches and spread the ball all over the place and get on base a lot.

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2008, 12:50 AM
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — Detroit Tigers reliever Fernando Rodney will start the season on the disabled list with a shoulder injury.

The team announced the planned move on Tuesday, a week after manager Jim Leyland said Rodney likely would not be healthy enough to be on the opening-day roster.

Detroit hoped it could count on the right-handed setup man because its bullpen will be without reliever Joel Zumaya for at least the first half of the season because of a shoulder injury.

Rodney helped the Tigers reach the 2006 World Series, going 7-4 with seven saves in 63 games. He was one of the reasons they didn't make the playoffs last season, logging two stints on the disabled list with shoulder and biceps injuries.

SouthStndJunkie
03-22-2008, 11:11 PM
KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2008, 01:35 PM
LAKELAND, Fla. -- What was hoped to be a simple bruise to Curtis Granderson's hand has turned out to be a stint on the disabled list. The Tigers will place their star center fielder and leadoff hitter on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 23, with a non-displaced fracture of the metacarpal at the base of his right middle finger.

The injury occurred in the fourth and final inning of Saturday's rained-out game against the Phillies. Granderson was leading off the inning when a fastball from left-hander Travis Blackley ran inside and struck him in the hand. Granderson took his place at first base and remained in the game before heavy rain halted the contest two batters later.

"I was hoping [Granderson] was OK," president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said Sunday morning, "but I also saw that he was shaking his hand."

The initial feeling was that it was little more than a bruise, and Granderson suggested he could've stayed in the game had it continued. However, X-rays taken as a precaution revealed a fracture right behind the knuckle.

The prognosis, Dombrowski said, calls for Granderson to wear a splint on the finger for about two weeks, after which he should be cleared to resume baseball activity. From there, the hope is that he won't need much time to get back up to speed and be ready to return to the lineup. By placing him on the DL retroactive to March 23, he'll be eligible to come off after the first week of games.

SouthStndJunkie
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Kansas City with a 3 game sweep over the Tigers.

Ugh.

I think they left the bats in Florida.

Doggcow
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
My Mariners should have a good shot at the division this year, I'm excited.

SouthStndJunkie
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Time for the Tigers to get in the win column tonight on Sunday Night Baseball.

FADERPROOF
04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I'll be in detroit for their weekend series with the Dodgers in June, heard a lot of great things about Coamerica Park and looking forward to seeing some baseball there.

TexanBob
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Hide the sharp objects... 0-and-6 and now headed to Fenway.

As an Astro fan, I blame the Astros. We fed you a steady diet of Woody Williams this spring and your guys weren't prepared to handle true major league pitching when you first saw it.

SouthStndJunkie
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
0-7.

They need to win a game and then go from there. The longer the streak goes, the more pressure there will be.

SouthStndJunkie
04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll be in detroit for their weekend series with the Dodgers in June, heard a lot of great things about Coamerica Park and looking forward to seeing some baseball there.

I think you will enjoy Comerica Park.

Hopefully the Tigers will be back on track and winning some games by that time.

SouthStndJunkie
04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Tigers win!

Tigers win!

7-2 over Boston.

Thames and Guillen go yard.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Big comeback for the Tigers tonight:

DETROIT (AP) -- Finally, the Detroit Tigers lived up to the hype at the plate.

Ivan Rodriguez hit a tying two-run triple in a six-run eighth inning then scored the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly to lift the high-priced Tigers to an 11-9 victory over the Minnesota Twins on Monday night for their first win at home.

FADERPROOF
04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Looks like it's getting turned around now for Detroit, horrid start but it's coming together for the Tigers.

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
3 wins in a row for the Tigers.

They stomped the Indians tonight. Miguel Cabrera is heating up.

SouthStndJunkie
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
The Tigers are throat stomping the Rangers tonight.

18-6 after 6 innings. They scored 11 in the 6th.

Nice to see Granderson back in the lineup

SouthStndJunkie
05-01-2008, 01:12 AM
The Tigers have won 7 out of their last 9 to get to 13-15 overall.

They have beat the Yankees the last 2 nights.

SouthStndJunkie
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
The Tigers sweep the Yankees.....first 3 game sweep for the Tigers in Yankee Stadium since 1966.

The Tigers are 14-15 now....after an 0-7 start.

SouthStndJunkie
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
The Tigers rally with 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th, after blowing a 5-2 lead in the top of the 9th.

Miguel Cabrera with the clutch double to win it.

Tigers 7

Rox 6

SouthStndJunkie
06-29-2008, 12:10 AM
The Tigers finally reach .500 at 40-40.

Now keep it up.

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
The Tigers are at 46-44 after coming back to beat the Indians 8-6 on Miguel Cabrera's 2 run HR in the bottom of the 9th.

They have a 4 game series versus the Twins going into the All-Star break.

It would be nice to take 3 out of 4.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
The Tigers go into the All-Star break at 47-47.

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I think Gary Sheffield is just about done. His shoulder is toast.

He won't retire though....he is owed too much money this year and next year.

Beantown Bronco
07-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Hilarious!

I've never in my life seen someone enjoy talking to themselves more than SSJ has in this thread.

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Someone was bound to chime in.

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
The Tigers improve their record to 52-49 with a sweep of the Royals.

Deeetroit Tigers!

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
The Yankees have acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers. Detroit will get right-handed pitcher Kyle Farnsworth, who played with the Tigers previously in 2005.

That blows.

Thanks for helping to turn the Tigers around, Pudge.

He signed with the Tigers at a time when nobody really wanted to play for them.

Farnsworth sucks. It would have been nice to get a decent prospect for Pudge instead. The Tigers should have gotten more from the Yankees, who were desperate for a catcher.

Pudge is batting around .300 and still is a good defensive catcher with a great arm. He may not hit for power these days, but anytime a catcher can hit .300 and play good defense, then he is a big commodity.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
One bright spot for the Tigers this year has been the pitching of Armando Galarraga.

He is 11-4 with an ERA of 3.11 (6th in the AL)

He reminds me of Greg Maddux a little bit....just in the way he orchestrates the game from the mound and hits the corners.

SouthStndJunkie
09-29-2008, 10:53 PM
The Tigers end up last in the AL Central.

74-88

I would have to give Miguel Cabrera the nod as the team MVP.

.292 average with 37 HRs and 127 RBIs.

Armando Galarraga gets the nod as the best pitcher (not saying much this year).

13-7 with a 3.73 ERA.