PDA

View Full Version : The Mets have agreed to a trade with the Minnesota Twins to acquire Johan Santana

TDmvp
01-29-2008, 06:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220894

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Would've been nice for Boston if he wanted four years....maybe even five. Six is a little much. And I hate giving up prospects and proven young ML talent.

At least he's not going to the Yanks. I'm personally kind of glad it worked out this way.

ohiobronco2
01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Well atleast he didn't go to either the sox or the yanks. Can't buy em all boys.

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Well atleast he didn't go to either the sox or the yanks. Can't buy em all boys.

You can in baseball.....if you want to. Nothing is stopping you.

elsid13
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Good I didn't want to lose either Lester or Ellsbury. While the kids on the farm also have really good potential.

MileHighMagic
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Great! He is going to the NL. :hitself:

The Metropolitans have some serious stars don't they. Another great signing by Minaya.

Now, if my Cubbies can just land Burnett, Roberts or Bedard... if he doesn't sign with Seattle. :strong:

HEAV
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Still have to agree to an extension, but that shouldn't be a hangup.

Mets need to make a push now. With the Yanks in a decline a move like this will help. Plus the Mets are going to have a new stadium.

rbackfactory80
01-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Big time move. Could finally put us over the hump.

phillybroncosnut
01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Won't matter. "The Phillies are the team to beat in the NL East"

Gcver2ver3
01-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Won't matter. "The Phillies are the team to beat in the NL East"

Yea whateva....

Anyway...great trade for the Mets.....

To get a top lefty like that without giving up our best position prospect or pitching prospect is huge.....

heck we didn't even give up heilman...

i'm esctatic over this.....

WABronco
01-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Twins got ripped IMO. Maybe they're after some of those Liriano-type diamonds in the rough again, but they didn't get anything close to the ML talent they would've got from Boston or NY.

Beantown Bronco
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
To get a top lefty like that without giving up our best position prospect or pitching prospect is huge.......

Baseball America disagrees. According to them, those players ranked as the Mets' Nos. 2, 3, 4, and 7 prospects. The Mets succeeded in keeping their top prospect, outfielder Fernando Martinez.

Gcver2ver3
01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Baseball America disagrees. According to them, those players ranked as the Mets' Nos. 2, 3, 4, and 7 prospects. The Mets succeeded in keeping their top prospect, outfielder Fernando Martinez.

our top pitching prospect is mike pelfrey......

he's not including in their ranking because he saw a little major league action last season....

but he's still in the minors....

phillybroncosnut
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
choke much?

Say what you will but the Mess farm system is completely depleted. They also got rid of their 2 young guns in Milledge and Gomez. It is a good deal for the Mess but they better win it all now, as in right now. This season or next. They sold the future for 2 years.

Ahhhh, Johan, meet Mr Met killer, Pat Burrell.

Gcver2ver3
01-30-2008, 11:22 PM
choke much?

Say what you will but the Mess farm system is completely depleted. They also got rid of their 2 young guns in Milledge and Gomez. It is a good deal for the Mess but they better win it all now, as in right now. This season or next. They sold the future for 2 years.

Ahhhh, Johan, meet Mr Met killer, Pat Burrell.

depleted?...lol

if you think we sold our future giving up those 4 players then i got a bag of magic beans i wanna sell ya....

we have our top prospect....and plenty other prospects to go with him....

plus when u get a minute....go check out how many 1st round picks the Mets have coming up....i think you'll be unpleasantly surprised...:~ohyah!:

TheChamp24
01-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Twins did get jipped IMO, but I also think that they didn't want him in the AL. Take the offer that isn't as much as the others to get him in the other league.
And why wouldn't you Sox fans want a stud left handed pitcher who is still young? He's gonna dominate for another 7 years.

Beantown Bronco
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
And why wouldn't you Sox fans want a stud left handed pitcher who is still young? He's gonna dominate for another 7 years.

What Sox fan said they wouldn't want him? Of course they'd want a talent like him on the roster, but not necessary for:

the money and years he is supposedly seeking
and
the amount they would've had to give up to get him

bfoflcommish
02-01-2008, 07:46 PM
It's a done deal baby...he has signed!!!!!

lets go mets lets go mets lets go mets

elsid13
02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Twins did get jipped IMO, but I also think that they didn't want him in the AL. Take the offer that isn't as much as the others to get him in the other league.

Santana is special but all of the players that might have moved have a very good chance to be very very good. At cheap prices

In particular Ellsberry is one of the guys that shown he is special, while Lester is the player that half of the Sox organization thought was their best young pitcher, that include Paps.

And the other guys are all rated in 100 of young players by ESPN.

So it the long run this might have been the best thing for Boston

Gcver2ver3
02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
It's a done deal baby...he has signed!!!!!

lets go mets lets go mets lets go mets

ditto what he said...

OrangeShadow
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Santana is special but all of the players that might have moved have a very good chance to be very very good. At cheap prices

In particular Ellsberry is one of the guys that shown he is special, while Lester is the player that half of the Sox organization thought was their best young pitcher, that include Paps.

And the other guys are all rated in 100 of young players by ESPN.

So it the long run this might have been the best thing for Boston

Agreed. The sox have probably the best farm system behind Tampa's. No need to dig into that for johan when you already have a great staff with the best pitcher in baseball as your ace :strong:

elsid13
02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Agreed. The sox have probably the best farm system behind Tampa's. No need to dig into that for johan when you already have a great staff with the best pitcher in baseball as your ace :strong:

less then 10 days til pitchers and catchers report!!!!