PDA

View Full Version : My Kid Played Varsity Last Night!

cmhargrove
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey,
It's the end of the week, and I thought I could offer a little distraction from overanalyzing our team.

My oldest son is a 15 year old freshman in high school. He has been working hard in his school's offseason conditioning program and trying his best in two a days. He was beating all the freshmen in line drills, so his coaches lined him up against the JV squad and he beat them too. Finally, this week they started playing him against the varsity kids and he was winning there as well.

So, last night at our "All City" tournament the coach started by announcing that no freshmen would be allowed to play in the game, and maybe a few JV kids. The first offensive drive went three and out, so they subbed my boy in at right guard. They ran the first touchdown right behind him. He stayed in the rest of the game, and was so pumped - i'm a proud dad!

He did have a few miscues (including tripping over the tackle's feet when he was pulling), but for the most part was shoving guys around that outweighed him by 70-80 pounds.

Tonight, they face perennial powerhouse (in Tulsa) Booker T. Washington. He might get pounded, but i'm proud of him.

Anyone else got a football story about their kids, I would love to encourage others as the season goes on...

Garcia Bronco
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Congrats to the young one. Success is always nice.

SpringStein
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
What school in Tulsa does he play for?

cmhargrove
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
What school in Tulsa does he play for?

Edison High School

Steve Prefontaine
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Very exciting stuff. Good luck to your son this season.

SpringStein
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Edison High School

Alma mater of Spencer Tillman. ;)

I understand your qb is highly recruited as a rb in college.

(I lived in Tulsa for 15 years - but left in '86, so always have an interest in that area.)

dbfan4life
08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Kudos to you son! What an accomplishment for a freshman.

My son just started walking!

BigPlayShay
08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Awesome dude, congrats to you and your boy.

crowebomber
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Cool! Four years of varsity and maybe he'll land a scholarship and save you some $$$$.

Requiem
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Congratulations man, best wishes to your son and your whole family. Keep us posted. :)

TheReverend
That's awesome and I'm extremely happy for you. Here's hoping to a continued successful athletic career but also hoping he's undersized enough to slip to the late second day to become a Bronco in eight years!

Meck77
Mile High Salute to your son! I love high school football. Use to live right next to a high school and my back yard was the freshman field/practice field. Man do I miss hearing the coach yelling at the kids. Over the years I had the pleasure of witnessing kids turn into young men. Sounds like your boy is well on his way. Congrats.

cmhargrove
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the support, I'll let you know if he gets creamed by the big guys tonight...

Victor
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
What a great story...thanks for sharing. As a father of four I can relate to your excitement. Pass along my best wishes for another great game and a great season.

broncosteven
08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I miss HS football, my buddy that I get tickets from for Broncos game kids played for the HS in Monument CO. when I came out for Bronco games in past we would hook up and watch his kids play. They are now in College, I have been buying his tickets for a LONG freaking time.

Enjoy it goes by quick.

Los Broncos
08-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Congrats man

Football is a great learning experience

BroncoBen
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow !! That is great, playing Varsity as a freshman is quite an accomplishment for him and you to be proud of.

It is going to be a great feeling when he gets his 1st Varsity Letter at the end of the season. Congratulations !!

SoonerBronco
08-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Tulsa Edison is also the alma matter of one Bill Goldberg.

Congrats to your son. I played 4 years at Dewey...a few classes underneath Edison...:)

24champ
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Enjoy it goes by quick.

Seems like yesterday I was going through hell week...fun times.

Pezman
08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Congrats to your son! Here's to a great year for him and his team bro!

telluride
08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Good luck to him and his team!

bpc
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Totally awesome bro! Keep us updated. I imagine that can be one of the real joys in a father and sons life.

SoDak Bronco
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Has he landed any chics with his performance? He needs to parlay this into a homecoming date. Congrads! tell him to keep those feet driving and stay low. gotta love the big uglies in the middle who get no love, but are crucial to success.

62Olinesdad
08-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey,
It's the end of the week, and I thought I could offer a little distraction from overanalyzing our team.

My oldest son is a 15 year old freshman in high school. He has been working hard in his school's offseason conditioning program and trying his best in two a days. He was beating all the freshmen in line drills, so his coaches lined him up against the JV squad and he beat them too. Finally, this week they started playing him against the varsity kids and he was winning there as well.

So, last night at our "All City" tournament the coach started by announcing that no freshmen would be allowed to play in the game, and maybe a few JV kids. The first offensive drive went three and out, so they subbed my boy in at right guard. They ran the first touchdown right behind him. He stayed in the rest of the game, and was so pumped - i'm a proud dad!

He did have a few miscues (including tripping over the tackle's feet when he was pulling), but for the most part was shoving guys around that outweighed him by 70-80 pounds.

Tonight, they face perennial powerhouse (in Tulsa) Booker T. Washington. He might get pounded, but i'm proud of him.

Anyone else got a football story about their kids, I would love to encourage others as the season goes on...

cmhargrove

Thats fantastic congrats to you and your family. Its just incredible to see your kids do so well. Chris's lil brother Matthew played his first varsity game at center last night he is also 15. He blew away the defensive lineman in grand style and also had a running back follow him into the endzone. I was grinning from ear to ear as you did. You have a exciting few years ahead of you I am sure. Good luck to you and your son.

cmhargrove
08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
cmhargrove

Thats fantastic congrats to you and your family. Its just incredible to see your kids do so well. Chris's lil brother Matthew played his first varsity game at center last night he is also 15. He blew away the defensive lineman in grand style and also had a running back follow him into the endzone. I was grinning from ear to ear as you did. You have a exciting few years ahead of you I am sure. Good luck to you and your son.

That's awesome, congrats to Matthew! Keep us updated on him as well...

GreatBronco16
08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Well my kid isn't playing varsity yet, but he is in midget football, first year at that.

He is the starting LDE in a 3-4 defense, and he is also the starting RT. Yesterday they played a scrimage against Heflin, I must say, they blew them away, even though score wasn't kept, well I kept up with it....lol. Anyway, my son ended up with 8 tackles, a FF and FR. He was blowing up the line so bad, that about 20 minutes into it, they put two Olinemen on him the rest of the time. That was when he forced the fumble and got the recovery.

Next weekend is their first real game. God I can't wait. Thank goodness the coaches let me on the field with them.....lol. I love this game.

ZONA
08-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Awesome. Glad to hear it. Also glad this wasn't moved to the Butt. It's not like we are in full season yet and we need to have a few misc posts to break up things some and pass time until the REAL season starts.

cmhargrove
09-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Just an update on my kid (not because i'm proud or anything). He has now fought his way to starting center for the varsity team (he's a freshman). He got the job because he's an ace long snapper and they are going to start using the shotgun.

I told him if he excels at any position, make it long-snapping. You are guaranteed a job on any team at any level if you are a good long snapper (I wasn't thinking of the Broncos or anything).

Anyway, now that we are a few games into our kid's football seasons, how are your kids doing?

Sometimes it's nice having a kid in football because even when the Broncos lose, you have another team to root for...

Vegas_Bronco
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
AWESOME! Tell him to keep those hips low, keep his feet, and knock the snot out of guys when he pulls - the true joy of playing Oline - and always makes the coaches proud! My dad made it to 3 of my games (busy guy) my sophmore - DON'T MISS HIS GAMES FOR ANYTHING! - I always played hard but dug deep when I knew my dad was watching.

Now I'm a dad coaching my sons 1st year of 5-6 year old flag football - I love it! So funny to hear the kids say they are as good as LT!

Vegas_Bronco
09-27-2007, 10:49 PM
My neighbor has 1/4 acre lot and has a full size NFL kicking goal post up in the back yard - his son plays soccer and kicks twenty to thirty 5-35 yard fgoals on Saturdays. Total investment - $12k in that back yard, hopefully it pays off.

Here's my proud HS team:

http://www.nflhs.com/StateStories.aspx?id=10577&state=ID

Meck77
09-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't have a son yet but it still amazes me that Barry Sanders father introduced his son as the 3rd best RB of all time in Canton a few years ago. I'd imagine if you have a son playing football he's the best period. How could it be any other way?

This is my adopted high school football team http://maxcast.com/tbirdfb. Hinkley Thunderbirds Aurora Colorado. We won state 10 years ago. Not quite sure how this site works but the coach gave me this link to where I can watch the games online.:thumbsup:

We started a booster club for them a couple years ago and we have our largest class of freshman in many years. We can only get better from here as there is strength in numbers.

cmhargrove
08-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Why would I dig up a six year old thread you ask?

Well time flies and you never quite know what twists and turns life will present you. My son, Zack, finished his high school career as an All-State Left Tackle and an All-State Heavyweight wrestler. He chose to go to Missouri S&T (Division II) in Rolla because of their excellent engineering program and an excellent scholarship. He started first game freshman year and has been their main pulling guard for two years. Things change, coaches leave, and Zack decided to move on and shoot for "big school ball."

He just finished a week long tryout, and is now a member of the Oklahoma State Cowboy football team. Their facilities, program, and coaching are just unreal. It's like he is living in a football dreamworld right now. Top that off with the fact that Gundy singled him out in front of the team after his first day as having an "exceptional practice." He gets to compete every day against an all-conference D-tackle which should help his development immensely.

Anyway, he will redshirt this year because of his transfer and have to wait until next fall to compete. But if you watch OSU home games, you will see a 6'4" 340 lb lineman on the sidelines - that's my boy!

jhat01
08-30-2013, 07:35 AM

Well time flies and you never quite know what twists and turns life will present you. My son, Zack, finished his high school career as an All-State Left Tackle and an All-State Heavyweight wrestler. He chose to go to Missouri S&T (Division II) in Rolla because of their excellent engineering program and an excellent scholarship. He started first game freshman year and has been their main pulling guard for two years. Things change, coaches leave, and Zack decided to move on and shoot for "big school ball."

He just finished a week long tryout, and is now a member of the Oklahoma State Cowboy football team. Their facilities, program, and coaching are just unreal. It's like he is living in a football dreamworld right now. Top that off with the fact that Gundy singled him out in front of the team after his first day as having an "exceptional practice." He gets to compete every day against an all-conference D-tackle which should help his development immensely.

Anyway, he will redshirt this year because of his transfer and have to wait until next fall to compete. But if you watch OSU home games, you will see a 6'4" 340 lb lineman on the sidelines - that's my boy!

Very cool..I'll look forward to seeing him drafted in a few years. Oh, and queue the Gundy rant: "I'm a man! I'm 40!"

crowebomber
08-30-2013, 07:35 AM

This is so awesome. Congrats!

delany
08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
OSU seems like it would be a great place to play at. Awesome home game atmosphere.

BowlenBall
08-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Stillwater's a nice town too -- congrats, CMH!

CEH
08-30-2013, 08:07 AM

Very cool. Thanks for the update. What an exciting time for your family

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2013, 08:50 AM

Congrats! I've spent some time in Stillwater and Pickens really has helped make the OSU football program top notch!

TheReverend
08-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Cant wait until next year when we can finally see him in action!

ColoradoDarin
08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Awesome!

cmhargrove
08-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Cant wait until next year when we can finally see him in action!

I relish this with mixed emotions. It will be interesting to see how the Omane "scouting department" views him once he gets his shot. Hopefully, I can do as well as Kupesdad in letting people talk smack about my son.

Anyway, we are excited, and I can't wait for him to get his shot next year

oubronco
08-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Awesome tell him this sooner fan is rooting for him

TheReverend
08-30-2013, 08:23 PM
I relish this with mixed emotions. It will be interesting to see how the Omane "scouting department" views him once he gets his shot. Hopefully, I can do as well as Kupesdad in letting people talk smack about my son.

Anyway, we are excited, and I can't wait for him to get his shot next year

People talk when they can't do, including myself.

A program that good would've eaten me alive :/

24champ
08-30-2013, 10:10 PM
People talk when they can't do, including myself.

A program that good would've eaten me alive :/

Yeah but you got through the Marines basic training etc.

I'd think you could handle it with ease.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Naw... but... uh, I intercepted a pass once as my HS team's backup FS. As a gunner I also lit up a KR once inside the 10. I'm kind of a big deal.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't have a son yet but it still amazes me that Barry Sanders father introduced his son as the 3rd best RB of all time in Canton a few years ago. I'd imagine if you have a son playing football he's the best period. How could it be any other way?

This is my adopted high school football team http://maxcast.com/tbirdfb. Hinkley Thunderbirds Aurora Colorado. We won state 10 years ago. Not quite sure how this site works but the coach gave me this link to where I can watch the games online.:thumbsup:

We started a booster club for them a couple years ago and we have our largest class of freshman in many years. We can only get better from here as there is strength in numbers.

I don't cheer for a HS team in Colorado. Mostly because I can't bring myself to cheer for our rivals... but I can't cheer for Dakota because of - let's call it personal disagreements - with my old coach.

TD4HOF
08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Naw... but... uh, I intercepted a pass once as my HS team's backup FS. As a gunner I also lit up a KR once inside the 10. I'm kind of a big deal.

Oh please! I picked up a garbage time sack my senior year. Bow!

Jason in LA
08-30-2013, 11:33 PM
cmhargrove, I was reading page one of this thread as if your son played his first varsity game last night. lol. I remember you talking about him playing high school football, so I was figuring that you were talking about another son, then I saw the date.

Anyways, congrats! I know how much stress it is. My son just started his senior season, and some scouts have him on their list.

SouthStndJunkie
08-31-2013, 01:05 AM

Very cool.

I remember you talking about him several years ago and mentioning him choosing a college out of high school for their engineering program. Thanks for the update and it's great to see him going for it and making it at a school like Oklahoma State.

Make sure you keep us updated.

SouthStndJunkie
08-31-2013, 01:12 AM
I take it he will have two seasons of eligibility left after redshirting this season?

Pony Boy
09-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Congrats for you and your son, Oklahoma State is a first class school and Gundy runs a first class program.

My daughter has one of those beautiful blue and gold Oklahoma High School All-State jackets hanging in her closet. Most donít know how difficult is to make the All-State team in any sport.

cmhargrove
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I take it he will have two seasons of eligibility left after redshirting this season?

Yes, he has two seasons left after this year. He's just focusing on learning everything about their system and getting himself ready to compete for a starting spot by January. If he can get in the mix next spring, then he will have a good shot at making the traveling team and getting some play time. The good news is, their 330 lb guard is a senior and they still have some issues with short yardage offense. Hopefully, that opens the door for him