PDA

View Full Version : Will Larry Johnson break down this year?

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Now that he has actually decided to come play, we can start talking about his impending demise this year. Cast your votes!

bronco militia
08-21-2007, 03:18 PM
this thread has bad Karma written all over it.....

sixtimeseight
08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I set the over/under at 6 games and I'm taking the under.

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Poll is up.

Tom A Hawk
08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Now that he has actually decided to come play, we can start talking about his impending demise this year. Cast your votes!

I am trying to figure if LJ breaks down first or if THenry doesn't make it past mid season. ;)

SonOfLe-loLang
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Why do you think he would? Its not like Jamal Anderson suddenly lost his speed after his big seasons...he f'd up his knees, just like TD did.

crush17
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
For The Love Of God, Isn't This Supposed To Be A Denver Broncos Message Board??

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Why do you think he would? Its not like Jamal Anderson suddenly lost his speed after his big seasons...he f'd up his knees, just like TD did.

Jamal's knee exploded after he took a handoff without being touched, IIRC, and probably due to the high workload he had sustained the previous few years.

azbroncfan
08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Jamal's knee exploded after he took a handoff without being touched, IIRC, and probably due to the high workload he had sustained the previous few years.

Or was it the crappy astroturf that Atlanta played on?

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Or was it the crappy astroturf that Atlanta played on?

I don't think it happened in Atlanta. If my memory serves correctly, they were in their away uniforms when it happened.

NaptownChief
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM

Boy you aren't kidding....After watching Henry go under an MRI machine this week and Ekuban blowing out for the season you would think that Bronco fans wouldn't be stiring the injury pot.

sixtimeseight
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I am trying to figure if LJ breaks down first or if THenry doesn't make it past mid season. ;)

Henry never had 416 carries in a season.

Flex Gunmetal
08-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Boy you aren't kidding....After watching Henry go under an MRI machine this week and Ekuban blowing out for the season you would think that Bronco fans wouldn't be stiring the injury pot.

+1

DomCasual
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes. I'm not wishing it on him, mind you. But I have been saying he would break down since late last season. There are a very few RBs in history that have been able to keep up the kind of workload Larry Johnson has been getting.

In that way, I actually feel for Carl Peterson. If he does break down, you have really hurt the franchise by having given him a big contract. But, how do you not give him a big contract, based upon the season he had last year? RB is just not the position at which you want your franchise player.

OBF1
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Or the heavy use of steriods for years caused too much muscle growth and his joints could no longer take it and SNAP :strong:

azbroncfan
08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't think it happened in Atlanta. If my memory serves correctly, they were in their away uniforms when it happened.

It was in Dallas and they had that crap.

go_broncos
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I am more concerned abt Travis Henry ....

Regarding LJ, i think he will have good year..

NaptownChief
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
It was in Dallas and they had that crap.

It was actually down your way against the Cardinals.

Beantown Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:45 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people think that anything they say on a message board somehow brings bad karma to nfl players/teams/etc. People really need to grow up.

For every person that avoids talking about injuries here, there are thousands talking about them in bars, office water coolers, other message boards, or on sports talk radio. Please. Enough already. There is no such thing as bad karma from talking about something on the orangemane.

Having said that, I think LJ makes it through the season "major" injury-free, but I do believe his numbers will go down a little over last year. Fewer carries and less hunger to perform now that he's gotten paid will be the most likely culprits.

azbroncfan
08-21-2007, 03:47 PM

The second time he blew it out.

Beantown Bronco
08-21-2007, 03:47 PM

nope....azbronco fan was right...it happened in Dallas:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_19_224/ai_62111762/pg_4

NaptownChief
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
The second time he blew it out.

Gotcha.....I forgot about him coming back and blowing it out again.

I remember that Dallas Monday night game well. That year in my big money auction league I landed TD and Anderson and thought I had the world by the balls only to jinx them both into blown out knees.

Tom A Hawk
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Has he ever made it through a season?

NaptownChief
08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Has he ever made it through a season?

His second year is the only time he has played a full 16 game season.

azbroncfan
08-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Gotcha.....I forgot about him coming back and blowing it out again.

I remember that Dallas Monday night game well. That year in my big money auction league I landed TD and Anderson and thought I had the world by the balls only to jinx them both into blown out knees.

I liked Anderson a lot since I'm a Utah UTE fan and watched his career quite abit.

theAPAOps5
08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I voted no for pure Karma purposes.

kmartin575
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Counting playoff carries, Emmitt Smith had 400+ carries 3 different times in his career and they were all early in his career. He still went on to have a productive 15 year career. I believe he also eclipsed the 300 carry mark 6 other times.

Beantown Bronco
08-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Counting playoff carries, Emmitt Smith had 400+ carries 3 different times in his career and they were all early in his career. He still went on to have a productive 15 year career. I believe he also eclipsed the 300 carry mark 6 other times.

Seriously, that guy was a workhorse. Here are his playoff stats alone:

17 games 349 carries 1586 yards 19 TDs

A full season of work out of just playoff games.

Nobody here is saying guys don't do well after 400+ carry seasons. Many are just confirming that the odds are not in their favor. For every Emmitt Smith, there are at least 5 Jamal Andersons.

KCStud
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm saving this one for the end of the year putting down in my sig

DomCasual
08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people think that anything they say on a message board somehow brings bad karma to nfl players/teams/etc. People really need to grow up.

For every person that avoids talking about injuries here, there are thousands talking about them in bars, office water coolers, other message boards, or on sports talk radio. Please. Enough already. There is no such thing as bad karma from talking about something on the orangemane.

Having said that, I think LJ makes it through the season "major" injury-free, but I do believe his numbers will go down a little over last year. Fewer carries and less hunger to perform now that he's gotten paid will be the most likely culprits.

Dude, saying there is no such thing as bad karma is SO bad karma! :holyguac!

ZachKC
08-21-2007, 04:37 PM
For every Emmitt Smith, there are at least 5 Jamal Andersons.

Are there really?

As much as this 400+ thing is thrown out. I don't think the sample groups is all that big. Not a lot of people to this.

Beantown Bronco
08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Are there really?

As much as this 400+ thing is thrown out. I don't think the sample groups is all that big. Not a lot of people to this.

True...it's a smallish group, but there was an article a month or two ago that got posted here with all the examples....375 may have been their threshold if I recall, and not 400...so that pushed up the numbers.

BroncoBuff
08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
After two 1700 yard seasons in a row, and with the losses of Shields and Roaf, he is virtually certain to decline some. But predicting a "major injury" is something I cannot do ....

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
This poll looks like something Bob would create. Immature at best.

DomCasual
08-21-2007, 06:59 PM

I agree, as it pertains to the intended response the poll is meant to evoke (pissing off Chiefs fans). But, if I was a Chiefs fan ( :alghh: ), LJ breaking down would be one of my biggest concerns. Similar to what I said earlier (regarding Carl Peterson), as a Chiefs fan ( :alghh: ), I would be both elated and filled with dread right now. Elated, because you just got your best player signed. Filled with dread, because if he gets hurt, you're (already pretty lousy) team is pretty well screwed for the next few years.

If I was an NFL coach and I had a stud RB, I would try to keep him at 300 touches a season. It's like buying a $100K car, then never changing the oil, running it through a car wash, treating the leather, etc. It may have been fun to have, and it seemed maintenance-free - but it's a bummer that it broke down at 20,000 miles.

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Guilty as charged...well to an extent anyways. I honestly do think we'll see the effects of the last couple years workload start to take a toll on LJ, and I think it's something worth discussing.

Broncobiv
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Like this hasn't been discussed to death.

Who gives a ****? :kiddingme

MechanicalBull
08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Does it really matter? We have our own team to worry about and win games instead of wondering if he breaks down this year. The way our D has been so far in the preseason it doesn't look like it will be fun to watch them against LT and LJ twice.

To me these types of threads/polls are just asking for KC fans to come in and start stupid meaningless crap with other posters.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Yes. He is due. We're completely ****ed.

ZONA
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Well..........the guy is "INJURY PRONE" after all, since he's been injured before, that automatically qualifies him as "INJURY PRONE". He'll be hurt again I imagine, maybe sever, maybe a little tweak.

08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Well..........the guy is "INJURY PRONE" after all, since he's been injured before, that automatically qualifies him as "INJURY PRONE". He'll be hurt again I imagine, maybe sever, maybe a little tweak.

This is a comical post. When has Larry EVER been injured enough to even miss a QUARTER?

The dude is chiseled out of granite. I'm convinced he will never be hurt. I've seen him fall awkwardly and take MASSIVE hits...and have his neck almost twisted off...and the dude just keeps coming.

He's immune to injury.

theAPAOps5
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Now talk about a jinx post if I ever saw one.

08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. How did Larry get up from this? His ligaments are fashioned from steel girders, that's how.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7189/larrykneeil7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DBroncos4life
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. How did Larry get up from this? His ligaments are fashioned from steel girders, that's how.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7189/larrykneeil7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

He went down and fumbled and it looks like he isn't being touched by someone.

Darkdoc
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
He won't break anything, because now that he has his contract, he'll be playing to avoid any injury at all.

KCStud
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I love it how Bronkie fans think LJ is gonna get injured, but yet their starting RB has played 6 years and has played the same amount of full seasons LJ has...one.
Henry is more likely to get injured than LJ. He's already getting hurt for crying out loud

BigPlayShay
08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Seriously, that guy was a workhorse. Here are his playoff stats alone:

17 games 349 carries 1586 yards 19 TDs

A full season of work out of just playoff games.

Holy cow. Look what TD did in half the playoff games that Emmit had:

8 Games 204 Carries 1140 Yards 12 TDs

5.5 Yards per carry for TD to Emmit's 4.5

Damn I miss TD

KCStud
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
LJ is also one of if not the toughest player in the NFL. Any RB who can have their facemask grabbed and pulled back like what happened to LJ in Arizona, then get up and keep playing one tough son of a bitch.
I thought LJ broke his neck on that play. He got up in 5 minutes, skipped a few plays, then kept going.

Does anybody have that picture of Rolle yanking LJ's helmet 180 degrees?

Inkana7
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I love it how Bronkie fans think LJ is gonna get injured, but yet their starting RB has played 6 years and has played the same amount of full seasons LJ has...one.
Henry is more likely to get injured than LJ. He's already getting hurt for crying out loud

I love it how you have no idea what you're talking about. Henry has only played 2 full seasons. And the 2005 season, that you're NOT counting as a "full" season, LJ had 5 more carries than Henry's career high season for carries. So, if we're going by "full" seasons, LJ and Henry are tied.

That was a nice try at twisting numbers to suit your retarded little purposes, though. It really was.

08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
The only thing Larry Johnson will be breaking down is Denver's defense.

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-23-2007, 08:41 PM
and Bob's heart

crazyhorse
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Wishful thinking?

Classy thread.

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
here is the thread I was looking for....

Kaylore
01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Fools for doubting! 400 carries = death of a running back. Especially this is true of power runners. So it is written, so it shall be forever.

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
This is a comical post. When has Larry EVER been injured enough to even miss a QUARTER?

The dude is chiseled out of granite. I'm convinced he will never be hurt. I've seen him fall awkwardly and take MASSIVE hits...and have his neck almost twisted off...and the dude just keeps coming.

He's immune to injury.

Easily my favorite post in this thread.

Pick Six
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I guess the following people were correct: :notworthy

bfoflcommish, bronco militia, Broncos123, Bronx33, Cool Breeze, dark_hawk, Houshyamama, jfitzpat, kamakazi_kal, MagicHef, MOCRUSH, MrPeepers, NodJello, se7enm, tomcat, yavoon

orangeatheist
01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess the following people were correct: :notworthy

bfoflcommish, bronco militia, Broncos123, Bronx33, Cool Breeze, dark_hawk, Houshyamama, jfitzpat, kamakazi_kal, MagicHef, MOCRUSH, MrPeepers, NodJello, se7enm, tomcat, yavoon

Now, make a fun list of people who were wrong! Highlighting Bob's your Information Minister and ZachKC...

Dean
01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
It does appear that the granite that Larry is chisled out of evidently had some flaws weakening it. He wasn't immune to injuries just immune to coaching. 8')

Pick Six
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Now, make a fun list of people who were wrong! Highlighting Bob's your Information Minister and ZachKC...

Hilarious! I'll admit that I underestimated KC's offensive line woes and thought that Larry Johnson would last the season. The last half of the season was fun to watch KC struggle without Larry Johnson.

Since you asked...

aborquez147, ApaOps5, BigPlayShay, Bob's your Information Minister, BrewCrew, broncs2bowl, ceebz, Crushaholic, cutthemdown, Darkdoc, Dr.5280, go_broncos, jab0450, JBucc, Lynchmob72, Sarcastro, skunk, SonOfLe-loLang, spud, VT_Bronco, ZachKC

TheDave
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM

This thread should of never made it past this post...

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
This thread should of never made it past this post...

if you believe in ghosts, Santa Claus and the Boogie Man.

(the funny part is, after writing that, militia still chose to participate in the poll.)

TheDave
01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
if you believe in ghosts, Santa Claus and the Boogie Man.

Yep, thats me alright...::)

... I just don't think its a good idea to cheer for a another players injury.

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Yep, thats me alright...::)

... I just don't think its a good idea to cheer for a another players injury.

cheering is one thing......simply predicting based off of past trends and statistics is completely another.

Florida_Bronco
01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
cheering is one thing......simply predicting based off of past trends and statistics is completely another.

I was surprised how many people didn't understand that.

Kaylore
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM

That's thing! People think I wanted LJ to get hurt. It's not so because I knew he was going to. I wanted them to sign him to a huge contract because I saw this coming. You can go back and check my record on that. My biggest fear was that they would have traded him for pick(s). Can you imagine where they would be had they done so?

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
That's thing! People think I wanted LJ to get hurt. It's not so because I knew he was going to. I wanted them to sign him to a huge contract because I saw this coming. You can go back and check my record on that. My biggest fear was that they would have traded him for pick(s). Can you imagine where they would be had they done so?

Never fear CP is here.

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm saving this one for the end of the year putting down in my sig

ROFL! you KCdud ROCK!

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes. He is due. We're completely ****ed.

OMG! bobo predicted something correctly! and the dipshyt was goofing around!

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 05:41 PM

He's immune to injury.

And then bobo f**** it allllll up.

dumpy
01-04-2008, 05:50 PM

And now they have the same situation with Jared Allen. NFL sack leader and UFA. The Chiefs will put the franchise tag on him which will result in another holdout by a chiefs player.

400HZ
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Give Larry credit though. He got his.

sixtimeseight
01-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I set the over/under at 6 games and I'm taking the under.

And looks like he hit the over, but just barely - 8 games.

kmartin575
01-04-2008, 07:14 PM
You guys act like his injury was a result of him getting paid or of him breaking down. I didn't realize your foot getting caught underneath A.J. Hawk could avoid being broken if you were straight out of college. Silly me.

kmartin575
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
And now they have the same situation with Jared Allen. NFL sack leader and UFA. The Chiefs will put the franchise tag on him which will result in another holdout by a chiefs player.

He's not going anywhere. Don't be jealous that you don't have a defensive lineman that can compare to Jared Allen.

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 07:33 PM
He's not going anywhere. Don't be jealous that you don't have a defensive lineman that can compare to Jared Allen.

Neither is your team. ;D

Kaylore
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Dumervil has 12.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and an interception. Allen has more sacks, but Doom wins in the other categories. I'd say that compares fairly easily.

Consider yourself owned.

I would stay out of this thread entirely if I was a Chiefs fan. It's just an owning waiting to happen.

KCStud
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Dumervil has 12.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and an interception. Allen has more sacks, but Doom wins in the other categories. I'd say that compares fairly easily.

Consider yourself owned.

I would stay out of this thread entirely if I was a Chiefs fan. It's just an owning waiting to happen.

Jared Allen also had 2 TD catches too

Kaylore
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Jared Allen also had 2 TD catches too

Do you hear that dull silence? That's the sound of all the people who care.

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Actually i broke wind and was hoping it was inert but cleared the thread anyways to be safe. :clown:

KCStud
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM

As much as Bronco fans hate to admit it, Allen is much better and more versatile than Dumbervile. Dumbervile is a pure pass rusher who can't stop the run

Bronx33
01-04-2008, 09:24 PM
As much as Bronco fans hate to admit it, Allen is much better and more versatile than Dumbervile. Dumbervile is a pure pass rusher who can't stop the run

Doom is young be patient KC twit doom will outshine DUI fairly soon (book it)

KCStud
01-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Doom is young be patient KC twit doom will outshine DUI fairly soon (book it)

:spit:

dumpy
01-05-2008, 08:35 AM

He may not be going anywhere, but he's going to ask between 60-70 mil. Carl will say no, put the franchise tag on him and we have a holdout. Remember, it was less than a year ago Allen said he wanted a trade out of KC.

sixtimeseight
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Of course he wants a trade out of KC... why would any NFL player want to play in that ****hole of a city, on that ****hole of a team, with that ****head of a head coach?

Inkana7
01-05-2008, 01:32 PM

I've always thought your cute little names for Denver players were very creative. Weren't you also the kid who christened Jay Cutler "Gay" Cutler?

Hey, I think your mommy is calling. Run off now, before you get a time out!

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
bump...per request