PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Jennings trade

TheChamp24
08-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Well, I remember when the Rockies traded Jason Jennings for Willy Taveras, Jason Hirsh, and Tayloy Bucholz, I was pissed.
Now, look at the trade.
Jennings is 2-9 with a 6.45 ERA
while Taveras is hitting .311 with 29 stolen bases and 59 runs, only downside is how often he has been injured
Hirsh is 5-7 with a 4.81 ERA
Bucholz is 5-4 with a 4.28 ERA

Not a bad trade, and maybe the Rockies can resign Jennings for cheaper than expected.

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I have high hopes for Hirsch. Getting him some more experience and adding Jiminez and Morales to the rotation next year should make them much stronger. Wouldn't mind having Jennings back too.

TheChamp24
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm really surprised at how horrible Jennings is doing this year. Much worse than at Coors Field. I wonder what kind of contract he'll get this offseason.

I do like Hirsh though. Pitching needs some experience though with him, Bucholz, Morales, and Jimenez.

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Bucholz had a nice outing tonight. I was there. He was pitching well. surprised they pulled him and did not let him finish and give the other relievers some rest.

DomCasual
08-25-2007, 03:03 AM
I still hate the trade. Sure, it's turned out great - but I thought it would turn out okay when it went down. I hate it for what it represented. It represented team ownership that is cheap and hypocritical. The cheap thing is obvious. The hypocritical thing is because through all the losing, they've been preaching, "Build through the system, sign your own players!" A reputable philosophy. So, Shawn Chacon gets traded before he's going to get paid. Not really O'Dowd's guy, so they get a pass. Jennings, though, should be the poster boy for the new philosophy. What do we do? We dump him. Crdibility, shot!

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-25-2007, 12:52 PM
I agree. This offseason will tell the tale. Gotta pay Holiday, Atkins, Hawpe, Cook. Do they let Matsui walk? do they move Ian Stewart to second base? Where are they going to get that one reliable arm they need to help all of the young pitchers settle in?

The only solution is to find new owners.

24champ
08-27-2007, 12:34 AM
One thing I worry about this off-season is the market value going up. If A-Rod and Andruw Jones get record contracts and I am 99% sure they will. Then it will make the re-signing of Holiday all that much harder with your cheap owners. Hopefully they nut up and sign some of these guys because Rockies have a very good future in the NL West.

want2bAbronco2
08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I love the Rockies....but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Just went to the Nats/Rocks game this weekend. Got to hang out with lots of the players (friends bro plays for nats) anyways was talking to 1 of the Rockies and he said 3-4 big pay day players (said Holliday specifically) were coming up this off season, and the owners weren't going to pay them. Not surprised really, but just pisses me off, we could be a great team if they would stop bringing up the new guys and then letting them go when they are good.