PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Little's last chance for HOF?

The Moops
06-30-2007, 09:21 AM
It's been 32 years since our "Franchise" Floyd Little hung 'em up as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history. All 6 guys who retired before him made the Hall of Fame years ago. I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is that he's not in the HOF . . . and that the only Bronco in is Elway.

This August, 9 Senior Selectors of the HOF (below) will nominate 2 old timers (guys who have been retired for 25 years or more). This is entirely different from the modern era picks, which Gradishar, Louis Wright, etc., are still candidates. That's a separate vote that happens later in September.

I've spoken to several people "in the know" who have informed me that this is probably Floyd's last chance to get nominated. Below is contact info for the 9 Senior Selectors who will vote this August on the fate of Floyd.

Take a few minutes to email them why you think Floyd should be in. If you need a brush up on all the reasons . . . go to www.littleinthehalloffame.com. There's plenty of great facts why Floyd is long over due. Let's give the guy who is the reason the Broncos are still in Denver one more shot!

Ira Miller, SF Chronicle: imiller@sfchronicle.com
Jerry Magee, SD Union-Tribune: jerry.magee@uniontrib.com
Edwin Pope, Miami Herald: epope@herald.com
Don Pierson, Chicago Trib: pierson33@aol.com
Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News: rgosselin@dallasnews.com
John McClain, Houston Chronicle: john.mcclain@chron.com
Dave Goldberg, AP: dgoldberg@ap.org
Len Shapiro, Miami Herald: badgerlen@hotmail.com
Jerry Green, Detroit News: jgreen@detnews.com (also jerry.green@detnews.com)

12th man
06-30-2007, 10:38 AM
How and why is this his last chance? That's terrible if it is, I hope he get's in.

You know what? I don't have the time right now to read that link and write to all those people, but I will. I don't know much about Little, because I wasn't alive to see him play, but I could get input from my family members that have seen him play, and check out that link, and use what tiny bit I do know about him.

The Moops
06-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Each year more Hall of Fame worthy players fall into the Seniors Category (retired 25 years or more). And with just 2 players nominated a year from that group, it gets tougher and tougher for guys like Floyd to get nominated. Among the seniors candidates that Floyd is lumped in with are Jim Marshall, Mick Tingelhoff, Johnny Robinson, Otis Taylor, Cliff Harris, Leroy Jordan, Claude Humphrey and more). Many could get the nod over Floyd because they played in Super Bowls . . . although I've always believed you can't blame an individual for not getting his team to the Super Bowl. Especially when you look at those Broncos teams from his era. Next year there will be more candidates in the Seniors pool.

Floyd has been a seniors candidate for 7 years now . . . I've been told his chances will be incredibly slim if he doesn't make it this year.

OBF1
06-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I hate to say this, but the HOF has become a total joke with their selection process and I for one am trying not to participate in the BS called the HOF. It has become a populatiry contest for players that are not from the Rocky mountain region. I hope Floyd makes it in, but I am without hope because he is a Bronco thru and thru.

PS: I am in the middle of reading Floyd's book, very funny and informitive. I recommend it to all fans.

Bronx33
06-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I hate to say this, but the HOF has become a total joke with their selection process and I for one am trying not to participate in the BS called the HOF. It has become a populatiry contest for players that are not from the Rocky mountain region. I hope Floyd makes it in, but I am without hope because he is a Bronco thru and thru.

PS: I am in the middle of reading Floyd's book, very funny and informitive. I recommend it to all fans.

Yep! the same bunch of clowns that put micheal irvin in the HOF.

Killericon
06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
If he won't make it in without our emails, he won't make it in with them, either.

Him not being in there is a joke. The whole thing is a joke.

The Moops
07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
I've spoken to a number of Hall of Famers from Floyd's era . . . Bobby Bell, Jack Ham, 49er CB Jimmy Johnson, Jim Otto, Ron Mix, Fred Biletnikoff, Don Maynard, Leroy Kelly, and many more more . . . they all say Floyd is a Hall of Famer.

HOF writers should listen to them . . . it takes a Hall of Famer to know a Hall of Famer.

Rock Chalk
07-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I sent this to McClane. We have spoken before so I figured Id give it a shot:

Hello Mr. McClane. I emailed you once a few months ago commenting on how much I appreciated your articles as you seem to be one of the few journalists that has a clue.

As such, it has come to my attention that you are one of the Senior Selectors for the NFL Hall of Fame.

I just want you to know before I go off on my rant. I do not blame you for this gross transgression of incompetence, I only hope that you can do what you can to rectify this.

Floyd Little is not in the Hall of Fame. THis is a travesty, pure and simple. Floyd Little should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer, yet 32 years later he is still waiting on his name to be called.

Floyd Little was the best back in Football in 1971, leading the league with 1133 yards at a time when a thousand yard season still meant something. Played in 4 All-star/Pro Bowls in only 9 seasons in the NFL, Floyd was the original Franchise of the Denver Broncos. Without Floyd Little, Denver would probably have moved to another city, instead, because of Floyd Little, a rabid fan base was built which over the past 3 decades has been the winningest franchise in all of football (surprising aint it?).

Here are his stats to refresh your memory:

RUSHING

Year

Team

Games

Attempts

Yards

Yds./Att.

TDs

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

TOTAL

RECEIVING

Year

Team

Games

Recepts.

Yards

Yds./Rec.

TDs

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Total

When he retired, Floyd was the NFLs 7th all time leading rusher. That alone, being a top 10 RB in a RB dominated Hall of Fame, should have gotten him in. IN fact, why isn't he in? I don't know how long you have been on the committee, but for a team that has more wins than any other team in the last 30 years, more superbowl appearances, more Conference championships (in that same time frame) than any other team in the NFL, only one person is deserving of the Hall of Fame?

"During his prime, 1968-73, he led the NFL in both yards Rushing and Yards from Scrimmage (rushing and receiving). Little was voted "Running Back of the year" in 1972 by the Professional Football Writers of America, and was 1 of just 7 players to total more than 100-yards (104) per game. Incredibly, despite spending most of his career as the lone offensive threat on a losing team, he retired as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history with 6,323 yards rushing and 54 touchdowns. He was the first Bronco to have his jersey 44 "officially" retired."

"He was an American Football League All-Star in 1968, named first-team "All-League" in 1969, and made the AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in 1970, 1971 and 1973. At just 5-10, 195-pounds, Little was a pioneer who became the smallest back to lead the league in rushing since before World War II. He was as versatile as he was exciting. He led the league in combined yards in 1967 & 68 and was the only player to return punts for TDs in both seasons. "

I mean, this is crazy. Im too young to have watched Little play, so why would I bother? Because Floyd Little is the reason I am a Broncos fan. My father thought so highly of Little that when I was old enough to understand, he spoke to me about how special he was. Being the lone threat offensively and still able to put up the numbers he did, few can say that. Of the few, Payton, Sanders, Sayers are amongst the few (Jim Brown had a helluva line most of his career). Mighty high company.

Here's something else. Because of the era, 14 game seasons and Fullbacks actually being part of the rushing attack, Little averaged a mere 14 carries per game.

As mentioned earlier, when he retired he was the 7th all time leading rusher. Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Jim Taylor, Joe Perry, Leroy Kelly and John Henry Johnson were ahead of him and all are in the Hall of Fame. Johnson had only 400 more yards than Little even though he played four more seasons.

Please do what you can to elect Floyd to the Hall of Fame this year. It may be his last chance and he is more than deserving of it. Just because he was a Bronco should have no bearing on whether or not he gets in.

OBF1
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Alec, Never thought I would say this to you..... Freekin GREAT post. Rep

Bob's your Information Minister
07-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Would you folks get over this? There's no way in hell Floyd Little deserves the HOF.

Rock Chalk
07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Bah, most of the good stuff I stole from The Moops website.

Rock Chalk
07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Bob, I dont know what you said, and I might get the axe for this.

But die a slow, painful, agonizing death. Please.

OBF1
07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Slappy is that you? :)

For boob, I just say die.... Ef the slow, painful death. Cancer if not good enough for him

Bronco_Beerslug
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Would you folks get over this? There's no way in hell Floyd Little deserves the HOF.

I'm quoting this POS to point out he still pollutes (spams) this board constantly while others are banned for using a four letter word.

Florida_Bronco
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm quoting this POS to point out he still pollutes (spams) this board constantly while others are banned for using a four letter word.

His opinions are wrong and always irrelevant.

07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
His opinions are wrong.

You ****ing moron.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:15 PM

I don't like your opinion! You are polluting the board! Wahhhh!

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
But die a slow, painful, agonizing death. Please.

Didn't you just become a father? Jesus.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Whats prompted all the recent HOF talk?

Bronco_Beerslug
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I don't like your opinion! You are polluting the board! Wahhhh!Don't you KC trolls have somewhere else to play, like in your first cousins bedrooms?

If you asses don't like the thread stay STF out of it.

07-01-2007, 10:20 PM

On the contrary. This thread is most entertaining.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't you KC trolls have somewhere else to play, like in your first cousins bedrooms?

I would give you the same advice for someone's posts. Don't read them. :thumbsup:

Unless you just like to hear yourself bitch. In that case carry on.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't you KC trolls have somewhere else to play, like in your first cousins bedrooms?

Zach always protects his piece of a**, he protects it here and on crapplanet where bob is placed under his protective moderating wing.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Zach always protects his piece of a**, he protects it here and on crapplanet where bob is placed under his protective moderating wing.

I stepped away from moderator status. Besides that I can't think of a single case where I did something that would have benefited GC. Can you think of an example? Or are you talking out of your ass....again.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I stepped away from moderator status. Besides that I can't think of a single case where I did something that would have benefited GC. Can you think of an example? Or are you talking out of your ass....again.

Fair enough so we are just down to protecting your one and only cookie known as bob, deal with it.

Bronco LB 59
07-01-2007, 10:28 PM
My father told me the two college players that stood out when he attended West Point football games in the 1960s was Roger Staubach of Navy and Floyd Little of Syracuse.

Little was hurt by the fact Denver was at or near the bottom of the totem pole in football coverage when he played. This was long before the population boom of the area and years before 1977 when the nation finally gave the franchise some thought.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Fair enough so we are just down to protecting your one and only cookie known as bob, deal with it.
Fair enough? Does that translate to mean that Zach called you out on your bull**** that you can't backup again?

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Fair enough? Does that translate to mean that Zach called you out on your bull**** that you can't backup again?

Is this where you pretend to have the upper hand again? just try and find one thread where you (don't come to donuts boys rescue) facts are facts zach.

AboveAverage
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't pick on Zach guys, he's just standing up for his man. Any loyal boyfriend would do the same.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I would give you the same advice for someone's posts. Don't read them. :thumbsup:
Unless you just like to hear yourself b****. In that case carry on.It's obvious your football knowledge isn't rounded and complete enough to post about Floyd Little so what are you doing in this thread? Nothing but what your brother the welcher is doing, spamming.

But that's all some of you KC bootlickers are reduced to after looking at your sorry ass teams over the years.

Florida_Bronco
07-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Me and Beerslug definetly have our differences, but at least he adds meaningful discussion when he disagrees with something. Bobo simply comes in here to spew some anti-Broncos tripe and piss people off.

Florida_Bronco
07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
It's obvious your football knowledge isn't rounded and complete enough to post about Floyd Little so what are you doing in this thread? Nothing but what your brother the welcher is doing, spamming.

But that's all some of you KC bootlickers are reduced to after looking at your sorry ass teams over the years.

They are pretty much reduced to trying to piss on our parade, because they don't have anything to cheer about in Chiefs land.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-01-2007, 10:42 PM
It's been 32 years since our "Franchise" Floyd Little hung 'em up as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history. All 6 guys who retired before him made the Hall of Fame years ago. I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is that he's not in the HOF . . . and that the only Bronco in is Elway.

This August, 9 Senior Selectors of the HOF (below) will nominate 2 old timers (guys who have been retired for 25 years or more). This is entirely different from the modern era picks, which Gradishar, Louis Wright, etc., are still candidates. That's a separate vote that happens later in September.

I've spoken to several people "in the know" who have informed me that this is probably Floyd's last chance to get nominated. Below is contact info for the 9 Senior Selectors who will vote this August on the fate of Floyd.

Take a few minutes to email them why you think Floyd should be in. If you need a brush up on all the reasons . . . go to www.littleinthehalloffame.com. There's plenty of great facts why Floyd is long over due. Let's give the guy who is the reason the Broncos are still in Denver one more shot!

Jerry Green, Detroit News: jgreen@detnews.com (also jerry.green@detnews.com)Damn shame on how the Bronco players have been sh*t on by the HOF voters!

Little and Gradishar both would be first ballot inductees on any of the "known teams".

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Is this where you pretend to have the upper hand again? just try and find one thread where you (don't come to donuts boys rescue) facts are facts zach.

Facts are facts. Hilarious.

Fine ONE thread?

I will show you a few threads just in the past few days. You really are not all that bright are you? Literally a few seconds of searching. I don't spend a fraction of the time he does on here. Nobody could defend him all the time. I have a life and a job.

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=57808
http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=57885

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Me and Beerslug definetly have our differences, but at least he adds meaningful discussion when he disagrees with something. Bobo simply comes in here to spew some anti-Broncos tripe and piss people off.

You would think a seasoned X veteran moderator such and zach could tell the difference but sadly he can't.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
and piss people off.

He is great at it. No doubting.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Facts are facts. Hilarious.

Fine ONE thread?

I will show you a few threads just in the past few days. You really are not all that bright are you?

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=57808
http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=57885

Nice jump through that flaming hoop sparky i will let ya know what your next trick is here in a bit.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice jump through that flaming hoop sparky i will let ya know what your next trick is here in a bit.

I know right? I am sorry you can't make any points that make sense or are true.

You are not smart enough, you never have been.

07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
They are pretty much reduced to trying to piss on our parade, because they don't have anything to cheer about in Chiefs land.

Haha! How did you folks enjoy the playoffs last season?

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I know right? I am sorry you can't make any points that make sense or are true.

You are not smart enough, you never have been.

LMAO! i found that soft spot ehhhh now run along iam sure bob is getting all wet just waiting your arrival.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
LMAO! i found that soft spot ehhhh now run along iam sure bob is getting all wet just waiting your arrival.
So, is there a single claim you have made that has anything behind it? You can be honest and answer the question. I know you hate doing that. Mindless deflection and crying about Alex is your schtick but I would love to hear an answer.

Florida_Bronco
07-01-2007, 10:59 PM
He is great at it. No doubting.

Yeah, some people get real riled up by him. But the majority of them regard him for the complete joke of a poster/writer/human being that he is.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
So, is there a single claim you have made that has anything behind it? You can be honest and answer the question. I know you hate doing that. Mindless deflection and crying about Alex is your schtick but I would love to hear an answer.

You ran and found two threads (like i thought you would) now reading through my ownage of you i fail to see where you asked a question. Now if i missed it in your little tizzy you threw (iam sorry) so please be so kind as to ask it again and i will be so kind as to make fun of it.

Ill wait...

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, some people get real riled up by him.

You could have just stopped there.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
You ran and found two threads (like i thought you would) now reading through my ownage of you i fail to see where you asked a question. Now if i missed it in your little tizzy you threw (iam sorry) so please be so kind as to ask it again and i will be so kind as to make fun of it.

Ill wait...

Do you know how to read?

Let me go slow.

In the post you just responded too I asked if you if there is a single claim you made during the whole thread that you could back up.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
LOL! another hoop! and listen rump lover it's a well know fact you run to bobos aid i don't have to provide any proof nor iam i going to look through your stupid threads showing you what is already there. Now run along and admire the shyt hole known known as KANSAS CITY getting a cheap facelift enough to impress your female eye for style.

Rock Chalk
07-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Leave it to a KC fan to ruin a thread that has nothing to do with them.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
LOL! another hoop! and listen rump lover it's a well know fact you run to bobos aid i don't have to provide any proof nor iam i going to look through your stupid threads showing you what is already there. Now run along and admire the shyt hole known known as KANSAS CITY getting a cheap facelift enough to impress your female eye for style.

So you are telling me you can't backup the things you say on here?

07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
That is basically his modus operandi. Running his mouth and never providing support.

I would love to see him post one example of Zach defending me. Just one. If he does that I will praise him as the greatest Orange Mane poster ever.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
So you are telling me you can't backup the things you say on here?

I don't have to zach just ask anybody on here (it's a fact) you ran and found two thread where you didn't defend your cookie iam sure you can find two where you did. (i dare ya)

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Bob he defended you in this thread you fat dumb donut eating dork..

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't have to

So you think its ok to throw out claims and not be able to back them up?

To each their own.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
So you think its ok to throw out claims and not be able to back them up?

To each their own.

Well if you won't go get them why the he11 should i ?

07-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Bob he defended you in this thread you fat dumb donut eating dork..

Where? Please point out where Zach defended me. Quote the post.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Well if you won't go get them why the he11 should i ?
Because you can't prove a negative. If your claim was true there would be nothing to get.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Because you can't prove a negative. If your claim was true there would be nothing to get.

I guess we have a stalemate you won't look and iam not going to but the fact is (you defend bob) maybe a pole is in order?

07-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I guess we have a stalemate you won't look and iam not going to but the fact is (you defend bob) maybe a pole is in order?

Jesus Christ dude.

What exactly is Zach supposed to look for?

He claims that he NEVER defends me. The evidence for that is EVERY SINGLE POST HE MAKES ON THIS FORUM. Do you really want him to provide all of those links?

The onus is on you. You must find one post...ONE...where Zach defends me. Otherwise you are just talking out your ass.

ZachKC
07-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Dude. You made the claim to find one thread where I didn't defend Bob.

You have been squirming and making stuff up from the beginning. You can't prove a negative.

You realize people read these threads right?

07-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Here is the proof that Zach does not defend me.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/search.php?searchid=74266

Ok Bronx33 now it is your turn!

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1550381&highlight=bob#post1550381

1 easy search

07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, that post is definitely not defending me. Try again.

Florida_Bronco
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Dude. You made the claim to find one thread where I didn't defend Bob.

You have been squirming and making stuff up from the beginning. You can't prove a negative.

You realize people read these threads right?

You constantly have something to say to people who attack Bobo, which is defending him, just in a round-about way.

theAPAOps5
07-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I do agree that Zach constantly pops up when Booby posts. But I also agree that last link really didn't back your case Bronx.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Hmmm i notice donut boy defends his product as well it must be a shared special bond you both have?

07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
You constantly have something to say to people who attack Bobo, which is defending him, just in a round-about way.

Hahaha. What a bunch of bullcrap.

On one hand, I like everyone else would like to see him gone bc I find him annoying.

Yep. Zach is my boyfriend. That quote really shows it.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I do agree that Zach constantly pops up when Booby posts. But I also agree that last link really didn't back your case Bronx.

To dedicate a thread about the guy say a bit more i guess it's all in the way peeps see it.

07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Get a clue you mental midget.

ZACH WANTS ME BANNED FROM THE SITE

theAPAOps5
07-01-2007, 11:54 PM
To dedicate a thread about the guy say a bit more i guess it's all in the way peeps see it.

I am not saying you are wrong because I see your point. Just Zach slams Booby in the post which kills the argument.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Bob quit trying to get make up sex.

07-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Tap out acknowledged. Concession accepted.

ZachKC
07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I am not saying you are wrong because I see your point. Just Zach slams Booby in the post which kills the argument.

Providing reason in even the simplest terms will not work for Bronx. He could be the dumbest person on this board.

Bronx33
07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Fact is the mane knows you have defended bob plain and simple.

07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Providing reason in even the simplest terms will not work for Bronx. He could be the dumbest person on this board.

You are forgetting about usedupbraids, although they could possibly be related.

07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Fact is the mane knows you have defended bob plain and simple.

The fact is there is ZERO PROOF for that statement.

Bronx33
07-02-2007, 12:07 AM
The fact is there is ZERO PROOF for that statement.

Ya search only goes back one year (that don't help) but on the other hand you two lovebirds can't prove iam wrong either and iam sure a few maners with chip in with a few post they have read when hack runs to your aid.

07-02-2007, 12:10 AM
I proved you were wrong. I posted the link containing every Zach post that can be found. He and I are both positive he has not defended me within the boundaries of that search. If you can find a post defending me, more power to you.

Bronco LB 59
07-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Leave it to a KC fan to ruin a thread that has nothing to do with them.

On the bright side, this thread was buried down the board for days and now Floyd Little's quest will get more exposure.

07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
now Floyd Little's quest will get more exposure.

To a bunch of dumbasses on the internet? Good luck with all that.

REB
07-02-2007, 12:22 AM
boom boom boom...another thread bites the dust...and another one gone...another one gone...another one bites the dust...hey, they're gonna get yours too...another thread bites the dust

The Moops
07-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Lost in this great friendly exchange was the thread's purpose . . . hopefully the people who remember Floyd Little and how his laying the foundation for today's and future Broncos teams will not be forgotten . . . and fans who were born after he retired in 1975 will learn more about his contributions and appreciate the fact that the Broncos are still in Denver because of him.

Below is the originally thread . . .

broncosteven
08-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Bump

tsiguy96
08-26-2009, 08:07 PM
good bump. is gradishar eligible for senior admittance?

broncosteven
08-26-2009, 09:45 PM
good bump. is gradishar eligible for senior admittance?

Not this year, he should be soon I think Floyd should get in 1st just because of what he meant to the franchise and city.

You should read Tom Mackies book he wrote with Floyd, Tales from the Broncos sidelines. It should be in all Bronco fans libraries along with Teri Frei's '77 and Fatis's book.

denver5459
08-27-2009, 08:53 AM
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 482.5pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=643><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 481.5pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=642>Congrats Floyd!

Ex-Broncos great Little had given up on Hall of Fame consideration<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 481.5pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=642><o:p> </o:p>
<!--endclickprintexclude--><!-- FINISH 'bookmarks' --><!--endclickprintexclude--><!--startclickprintexclude-->ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Former Broncos running back Floyd Little says he had given up hope of ever making it on the Pro Football Hall of Fame ballot.<o:p></o:p>
Little told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home in Seattle on Wednesday that after a quarter century of hoping and praying he figured that his final football dream would go unfulfilled.<o:p></o:p>
The hall's senior committee, however, chose the 67-year-old Little, who gained more than 12,000 total yards in the NFL, and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a star defensive back before becoming a coach, as finalists for the Hall on Tuesday.<o:p></o:p>
They will join 15 modern-era candidates on the complete list of finalists for the 2010 class, which will be voted on Feb. 6 at the Super Bowl in Miami. Up to two senior candidates and five modern-era hopefuls can be elected.<o:p></o:p>
"I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I've ever been," Little said.<o:p></o:p>
He said not a month goes by that somebody doesn't approach him to settle a bet: which year did you make it into the Hall?<o:p></o:p>
"And I have to tell them I'm not in the Hall of Fame and I've never even been nominated," Little said.<o:p></o:p>
For that reason, Little said that he decided a few years back not to get his hopes up anymore.<o:p></o:p>
"I was running out of guys who had seen me play," said Little, whose career in Denver spanned the years 1967-75, lean times in the former AFL franchise's history. "The people that had seen me play were starting to fade off and retire.<o:p></o:p>
"All these guys were no longer there, so who's going to talk about Floyd Little? Nobody. I thought I'd just fallen through the cracks never to be seen or heard from again."<o:p></o:p>
When John Elway became the first Bronco enshrined and in his acceptance speech, he said there were many others who played before who deserved the honor, including Little. When Gary Zimmerman went into the Hall last summer he said the same thing.<o:p></o:p>
Little said he was shocked to get the call from Hall vice president Joe Horrigan.<o:p></o:p>
"I knew he wasn't calling to tell me I was passed over again," Little said. "It was thrilling. I haven't slept in two days."<o:p></o:p>
Little was chosen for five Pro Bowls, rushing for 6,323 yards and 43 touchdowns, making 215 receptions for 2,418 yards and nine TDs. When he retired in 1975, Little ranked seventh in career rushing.<o:p></o:p>
He also was one of the league's best kick returners, leading the AFL in punt returns as a rookie in 1967.<o:p></o:p>
Little earned the nickname "Franchise" in Denver because it was his signing that was credited with keeping the team from bolting to another city and helped persuade voters to approve funds for Mile High Stadium, which has been replaced by Invesco Field.<o:p></o:p>
In July, Little closed down his Ford dealership in Seattle after 32 years.<o:p></o:p>
"I've worked for 50 years. Now, it's time to take a moment off to enjoy the family, do some traveling," he said.<o:p></o:p>
He hopes that will include a stop in Canton, Ohio, next summer.<o:p></o:p>
"I'm hopeful that it will happen. I pray that it will happen," Little said, suggesting the stars are aligned for him at last.<o:p></o:p>
"It's the 44th Super Bowl," he said. "An African-American just became our 44th president. I wore No. 44. I just feel it's my time."<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

broncosteven
08-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Moops, check your PM's!

Old Dude
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
44 reasons:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/44-reasons-to-elect-no-44/

broncosteven
11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
BUMP

This is something positive to talk about the week after a loss.

If you haven't written the voters lobbying for Floyd to make the hall now is the time to do it!

This would be a great week to talk about Floyd, I wonder if there is a way to get the ESPN people to at least mention his name when they cover game Monday.

I am sure we will be pummled by Dick Lebeau HOF BS. time to make Floyd's presence felt!

Cito Pelon
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
The best thing for Floyd Little is for the Broncs to make the playoffs and win playoff games so the cameras can pan on the Ring of Fame.

LittleFloyd
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
this guy needs to be voted in, dammit.

broncosteven
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
this guy needs to be voted in, dammit.

Then here is your chance to help, From Moop's post above:

Bronco Yoda
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
will do!

bpc
11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Can one of the mod's clean out the garbage from this thread and sticky it? THE NFL NEEDS TO APPRECIATE ONE OF THEIR MARQUEE FRANCHISES. 1 Hall of Famer? SERIOUSLY?

If Floyd Little would have been a NY Giant, Steeler, Redskin or Cowboy, he'd already be in the HOF. Fact.

EMAIL whomever will listen to get this train moving.

LittleFloyd
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Then here is your chance to help, From Moop's post above:

Been there and done that.

broncosteven
11-18-2009, 04:19 PM

4 of these accounts didn't work for me, Anyone got updated email accounts or voters to replace for:

imiller@sfchronicle.com
jerry.magee@uniontrib.com
dgoldberg@ap.org
jerry.green@detnews.com

I was going to mail out a copy of what I emailed them to refresh their memory's.

Anyone else have any other tips to reach the HOF voters? Time is running out.

The Moops
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey, the 9 guys mentioned here do not need to be "sold" why Floyd is a Hall of Famer. They already nominated him as one of the 2 seniors candidates. They will vote for Floyd. Plus, some of the guys (this is on old thread!) like Jerry Magee and Jerry Green have retired.

It's the other 35 voters who probably only know what Peter King said about Floyd back in late August in his MMQB column, 99% of it was focused on the negative.

He mentioned Floyd's 54 yards rushing average per game, but didn't realize that Hall of Famers voted ahead of Floyd, like Leroy Kelly average 53 yards a game and John Henry Johnson averaged 47. King also said Floyd had only one 1,000-yard season. True, but Hall of Famers like Lenny Moore and Paul Hornung NEVER rushed for 1,000 yards in a season and both played 7 seasons in the same 14-game schedule as Floyd. In fact, Hornung never even rushed for 700 yards in a season. Floyd missed 1,000 yards in 1973 by a mere 21 yards (979). The Hall of Fame is going to keep him out for that?!? Floyd also won back-to-back AFC rushing titles playing on a last-place team.

Check out the Hall of Fame web site for a list of the 44 voters ....

Thanks, all!!!

broncobum6162
11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Lost in this great friendly exchange was the thread's purpose . . . hopefully the people who remember Floyd Little and how his laying the foundation for today's and future Broncos teams will not be forgotten . . . and fans who were born after he retired in 1975 will learn more about his contributions and appreciate the fact that the Broncos are still in Denver because of him.

Below is the originally thread . . .

It's too bad really that like Floyd Little, Randy Gradishar too will fall by the wayside just because he played for that little cowtown in the mountains called Denver and not for well.... go look at the teams that are very well represented. It's been hashed over way too much:deadhorse

broncosteven
11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey, the 9 guys mentioned here do not need to be "sold" why Floyd is a Hall of Famer. They already nominated him as one of the 2 seniors candidates. They will vote for Floyd. Plus, some of the guys (this is on old thread!) like Jerry Magee and Jerry Green have retired.

It's the other 35 voters who probably only know what Peter King said about Floyd back in late August in his MMQB column, 99% of it was focused on the negative.

He mentioned Floyd's 54 yards rushing average per game, but didn't realize that Hall of Famers voted ahead of Floyd, like Leroy Kelly average 53 yards a game and John Henry Johnson averaged 47. King also said Floyd had only one 1,000-yard season. True, but Hall of Famers like Lenny Moore and Paul Hornung NEVER rushed for 1,000 yards in a season and both played 7 seasons in the same 14-game schedule as Floyd. In fact, Hornung never even rushed for 700 yards in a season. Floyd missed 1,000 yards in 1973 by a mere 21 yards (979). The Hall of Fame is going to keep him out for that?!? Floyd also won back-to-back AFC rushing titles playing on a last-place team.

Check out the Hall of Fame web site for a list of the 44 voters ....

Thanks, all!!!

Thanks Tom,

That explains why I got this back as a reply from one of them.

"I was a member of the senior committee that selected him this year..."

I will start working on the other dudes.

broncosteven
11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
From Here: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

Pro Football Hall of Fame Board of Selectors
Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic
Atlanta Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV
Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News
Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer
Chicago Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune*
Cincinnati TBA
Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer
Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*
Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
Detroit Tom Kowalski, Booth Newspapers
Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*
Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star
Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV
Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS
Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*
Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune
New England Ron Borges, Boston Herald*
New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune
New York (Giants) Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record
New York (Jets) TBA
Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News
Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
San Diego Nick Canepa, San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Nancy Gay, AOL Sports/Fanhouse
Seattle Clare Farnsworth, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune
Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean
Washington David Elfin, Washington Times
PFWA Alex Marvez, FOXSports.com
At Large Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange
At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today
At Large John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine
At Large John Czarnecki, FOXSports.com*
At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*
At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated
At Large Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*
At Large Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*
At Large Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union
At Large Jim Trotter, Sports Illustrated
At Large Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram

broncosteven
11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I am working on a spreadsheet of contacts for "The other 35".

PM me if you are interested.

I figure Floyd deserves one last good push.

broncosteven
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
BTW is Jeff Legwold part of the 35 or is he in?

The Moops
11-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Jeff Legwold not only is a supporter of Floyd, he will be presenting Floyd to the Hall of Fame voters the day before the Super Bowl.

It's really up to Jeff now to make it happen.

I know he will do an awesome job.

Houshyamama
11-18-2009, 11:29 PM

You're pathetic.

Houshyamama
11-18-2009, 11:31 PM
To a bunch of dumbasses on the internet? Good luck with all that.

you're pathetic as well. seriously, go outside. It's one thing to spend a bunch of time on a message board that pertains to an interest of yours... but this is a Broncos fan site. You have way too many posts here to be anything other than a complete tool bag. I'm serious, it's not healthy. Grow the **** up.

The Moops
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks Bronco steven and others who support Floyd's HOF chances . . .

The majority of seniors nominees get this one shot to get in. Unlike modern players, they won't be on the finalist ballot the next year, and probably never again if they're denied.

Bob Hayes got a second chance because he was fortunate to have 2 HUGE supporters on the seniors committee: Rick Gosselin and John McClain.

RhymesayersDU
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I didn't know that this guy:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hMZm4_BV6dM/SVaK-QkO6EI/AAAAAAAAC6c/J1oK8QVp0co/s400/diehard_l.jpg

had so much pull with the committee!

broncosteven
11-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks Bronco steven and others who support Floyd's HOF chances . . .

The majority of seniors nominees get this one shot to get in. Unlike modern players, they won't be on the finalist ballot the next year, and probably never again if they're denied.

Bob Hayes got a second chance because he was fortunate to have 2 HUGE supporters on the seniors committee: Rick Gosselin and John McClain.

Rick seems like a nice guy

watermock
11-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Marshall should get in for his blocked FG returned for a TD, the wrong way, and his longevity.

The Moops
11-20-2009, 04:58 AM
The comment about Marshall has merit. I think the HOF seniors committee sometimes looks at a team, like the Vikings, and says "Well, they never won a Super Bowl, so how can we reward so many of their players." Actually, that's a bad example on my part. Because the Vikings have clearly not been snubbed when it comes to the HOF. Tarkenton and Ron Yary on offense. Coach Bud Grant. And d-linemen Alan Page and Carl Eller and DB Paul Krause. Marshall probably continues to get snubbed because there are already 2 d-linemen enshrined. I think in the next couple years, center Mick Tinglehoff will get in.

What fans often do is when someone brings up a candidate, like Floyd Little, they say "Well, so and so deserves to be in there." Guys lumped with Little include Chuck Foreman (a viking!), Lawrence McCutcheon, Lydell Mitchell and Larry Brown. I believe all of these backs should get consideration someday. But for now, the HOF is not judging them. They're judging Floyd. To me, Foremen, McCutcheon and Mitchell should be considered playing in another era because each of them played their entire careers after the hash marks were moved in 1972. Floyd was already 30 years old by then. It was the first of many rule changes that increased the production for the modern day RBs.

If you're going to compare RB from Floyd's era, Larry Brown is the only viable RB not in the Hall to do so. Floyd rushed for more yards and had a higher yard-per-carry than Brown. He also caught more passes and returned more punt and kickoffs. He also didn't play with 2 HOF coaches, a HOF QB, a HOF receiver and a great defense. Brown did win an MVP, but if he put up them same numbers on the Broncos, he wouldn't have gotten it because no one wins an MVP on a losing team.

I believe Larry Brown should get HOF consideration. But this year, it's all about judging Floyd Little.

broncosteven
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
bumped for LBB info

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
The comment about Marshall has merit. I think the HOF seniors committee sometimes looks at a team, like the Vikings, and says "Well, they never won a Super Bowl, so how can we reward so many of their players." Actually, that's a bad example on my part. Because the Vikings have clearly not been snubbed when it comes to the HOF. Tarkenton and Ron Yary on offense. Coach Bud Grant. And d-linemen Alan Page and Carl Eller and DB Paul Krause. Marshall probably continues to get snubbed because there are already 2 d-linemen enshrined. I think in the next couple years, center Mick Tinglehoff will get in.

What fans often do is when someone brings up a candidate, like Floyd Little, they say "Well, so and so deserves to be in there." Guys lumped with Little include Chuck Foreman (a viking!), Lawrence McCutcheon, Lydell Mitchell and Larry Brown. I believe all of these backs should get consideration someday. But for now, the HOF is not judging them. They're judging Floyd. To me, Foremen, McCutcheon and Mitchell should be considered playing in another era because each of them played their entire careers after the hash marks were moved in 1972. Floyd was already 30 years old by then. It was the first of many rule changes that increased the production for the modern day RBs.

If you're going to compare RB from Floyd's era, Larry Brown is the only viable RB not in the Hall to do so. Floyd rushed for more yards and had a higher yard-per-carry than Brown. He also caught more passes and returned more punt and kickoffs. He also didn't play with 2 HOF coaches, a HOF QB, a HOF receiver and a great defense. Brown did win an MVP, but if he put up them same numbers on the Broncos, he wouldn't have gotten it because no one wins an MVP on a losing team.

I believe Larry Brown should get HOF consideration. But this year, it's all about judging Floyd Little.

good post

Bronco CB40
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM

http://aroundthesphere.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

HILife
02-16-2010, 08:29 AM
http://aroundthesphere.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

hahahaha nice job bumping that. Where's Bob?