PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cell Phone Advise...

BMF Bronco
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey all, so it's that time for me to become Verizon's bitch again and upgrade my phone (which renews my contract for another two years unfortunately). But I figure what the hell, mine is about dead anyway. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... My question is, does anyone have the MotoKRZR or the Chocolate or the Samsung SCH-u740 and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2007, 11:50 AM
you don't have to do a two year contract. The only savings you get for that is typically a 50 dollar credit

BMF Bronco
06-29-2007, 11:53 AM
you don't have to do a two year contract. The only savings you get for that is typically a 50 dollar credit

I know, but I figure, I am going to need a cell phone for everyday life so what the hell, might as well get a new one for free. And ****, the way I am with phones, it wont matter, as I will have to use the insurance and get a new one in the next six months.

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2007, 11:59 AM
The big joke is the iPhone. Since AT&T isn't subsidizing the phone...you shouldn't have to sign a contract with them. That's where the service contracts started ...for subsidized phones. Think about that.

maher_tyler
06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey all, so it's that time for me to become Verizon's b**** again and upgrade my phone (which renews my contract for another two years unfortunately). But I figure what the hell, mine is about dead anyway. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... My question is, does anyone have the MotoKRZR or the Chocolate or the Samsung SCH-u740 and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance
Don't go with either..i had a Razor..lightly dropped it and the corner piece broke off..so got another motorola and it always freezes up on me or will say that it's configuring applications..just terrible brand of phone IMHO..and as far as the chocolate i've heard nothing but problems with it..my brother and some co-workers have it and they say the buttons on it stop working or don't work very well...Samsung is the way to go!!

BMF Bronco
06-29-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks

Dagmar
06-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I am eyeing this thread pretty avidly, I was gonna post the same question. Seriously thinking about going the RAZR route.

anthonypacino
06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey all, so it's that time for me to become Verizon's b**** again and upgrade my phone (which renews my contract for another two years unfortunately). But I figure what the hell, mine is about dead anyway. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... My question is, does anyone have the MotoKRZR or the Chocolate or the Samsung SCH-u740 and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance

I too am getting ready to "upgrade" I have many friends who have the RZR and it's crappy, poor reception and low battery life, plus everyone and his dog have got one. I really haven't seen a new phone out for Verizon that I like. I currently have the Motorola E815 at the time when it was new it was rated in the top 5 and I have never had a problem with it in two years, I'm thinking about keeping it, it's in good shape. But if I had to get a new one I would look at the LG-ENV or envy however the named it, it has all the features you could want, expandable memory, two screens, music player, full keyboard, bluetooth, internet access, video and photo. And Consumer Reports had it ranked pretty high for the Verizon phones out there.

BMF Bronco
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I went with the Samsung.

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
My new every "two" ends next may...I have a treo700w...(BECAUSE OF TACO!!!!), and I hate it with a passion. Great PDA....crappy phone.

Popps
06-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks in advance

Motorolla phones are horrid. I've owned a few, and just about everyone I know that's had them has had major problems. They're all style, no functionality.

That said, my 12 year old did talk me into getting him a SLVR... as Amazon was running a free deal on them for re-upping a contract. So far, he hasn't had any problems with it. He likes it.

I agree with the above Samsung recommendation. If you want to go a little higher end, Treo makes nice phones, particularly the 650 and later.

Sassy
06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I have an audiovox...love the looks of it and it works well.
I've had it at least two years and its' been dropped a couple of times and still works well.
I've never had a problem with it...of course, I'm not much into the gadgets...I like a phone for a phone and not internet stuff or a camera...although it does have a camera.

Natedogg
06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
I need to get a new contract. anybody have any advise. my att/cingular contract i previously had really ****ed me off. tips... as of now, i'm leaning towards version. suggestions?

No1BroncoFan
06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
You know, I've never understood the craving to have the latest, greatest phone. If I can make a call and understand the conversation then it's a good phone. I don't need it to track my e-mail play my MP3s organize my contact database (except phone #s) and give me dinner and a BJ. It's a freaking phone. Don't get me wrong, I do have a modern cell phone and it even plays MP3s, but that was in no way a deciding factor. It is above all a good phone, and it was only $20.00 with the Cingular contract. We got rid of Verizon because we were sick and tired of dropping calls after Verison lost 20% of their network when the Feds shut down the analog towers.

Ben

Sassy
06-29-2007, 09:49 PM
...and like I've said before...Alltel month to month baby!

JanaŽ
06-29-2007, 10:08 PM
You know, I've never understood the craving to have the latest, greatest phone. If I can make a call and understand the conversation then it's a good phone. I don't need it to track my e-mail play my MP3s organize my contact database (except phone #s) and give me dinner and a BJ. It's a freaking phone. Don't get me wrong, I do have a modern cell phone and it even plays MP3s, but that was in no way a deciding factor. It is above all a good phone, and it was only $20.00 with the Cingular contract. We got rid of Verizon because we were sick and tired of dropping calls after Verison lost 20% of their network when the Feds shut down the analog towers.

Ben

You must have the Sync. That's the phone I want. Simple looking and has the mp3 capabilities that I want. I have a Katana (Which looks kind of like a RAZR) but I hate it. Even with the volume up all the way it rings real quitely. It drives me nuts. I want a Sync, but it's only offered through Cingular and I have Sprint. I checked into switching to Cingular, but my credit sucks so badly that they wanted a 750.00 deposit. So I am stuck with Sprint and the crappy phones they have.

Play2win
06-29-2007, 11:19 PM
I am just wondering how long AT&T is going to be off-line because of all these crazies...

No1BroncoFan
06-30-2007, 01:05 AM
You must have the Sync. That's the phone I want. Simple looking and has the mp3 capabilities that I want. I have a Katana (Which looks kind of like a RAZR) but I hate it. Even with the volume up all the way it rings real quitely. It drives me nuts. I want a Sync, but it's only offered through Cingular and I have Sprint. I checked into switching to Cingular, but my credit sucks so badly that they wanted a 750.00 deposit. So I am stuck with Sprint and the crappy phones they have.
Nope. I've got a Sony/Ericcson W300i. It's a great phone. MP3 player is cool to have, but if there had been a better phone there without the MP3 player I'dv gotten that. Honestly, if Verizon's network didn't suck so bad (yeah, it's the network alright ::)) I would have kept my old service and my old phone.

Ben

Play2win
06-30-2007, 05:14 AM
just sayin'

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/06/davidiphone.jpg

http://www.tuaw.com

Meck77
11-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Old bump! This conversation is so 2007.

Ok here is the deal fellow maners. I need to get a new phone. I actually hate cell phones but I have to get with the times. Hell mine is so old I can't even text with the POS.

I'm a verizon customer. I guess my two best options are Droid X or HTC? Is that right? I really don't know much about either one. Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

broncosteven
11-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Ok here is the deal fellow maners. I need to get a new phone. I actually hate cell phones but I have to get with the times. Hell mine is so old I can't even text with the POS.

I'm a verizon customer. I guess my two best options are Droid X or HTC? Is that right? I really don't know much about either one. Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Call Tatum Bell!

LOL

BTW I would go with the new Droid if my phone were to die today.

loborugger
11-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks!

I got a free phone - well 40 bucks with a mail in coupon - that texts, and works well. My wife has one of those fancy touch screen phones and if you are like me with fat fingers (insert joke here), they suck. You cant manipulate the phone. My phone doesnt play tunes, but I guess you probably arent too interested in that if you cant even text now.

When I went to go to Verizon to get a phone 2/3 months ago, they had an LG and another brand that had the slide up keyboard. You can text, if you wanna pay, you can use the interwebz, and again, its free. I got the LG. It works. Battery lasts a long time, its pretty durable, and it has a camera.

Pontius Pirate
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
As long as it's an Android OS, and you wait until Versizon rolls out the 4G, you will be fine.

Popps
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I have an iPhone and love it.

My 16 year old has a Droid and loves it.

Pretty much anyone I know with a Blackberry loves it, though I was partial to the iPhone and even Palm over the BB.

Pony Boy
11-30-2010, 11:30 AM

chadta
11-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Pretty much anyone I know with a Blackberry loves it, though I was partial to the iPhone and even Palm over the BB.

my friends are split between iphones and blackberrys, heck a bunch of my friends work for BB and they use iphones.

i love my iphone, but at the same time i hate apple, if they would allow an sd card to be put in, and not require jailbreaking to run aps that you dont buy from them it would be perfect in my eyes

Kaylore
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Get a droid. It's awesome and you won't have to deal with the crappy service that comes with iPhones.

HILife
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Get a droid. It's awesome and you won't have to deal with the crappy service that comes with iPhones.

This. I would wait till Verizon comes out with a 4G android OS phone and then buy that. Reports say it should be in January. If you want a phone now, go with the Motoral Droid X or samsung fascinate. The Fascinate has more powerful hardware, but Droid X also got a lot of power. If you travel internatinally alot, go with the Droid 2 Global.

Fascinate
http://ncellphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Verizon-Samsung-Fascinate.jpg

Droid X
http://ncellphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Verizon-Motorola-Droid-X.jpg

Droid 2 Global
http://www.laptoptechno.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/verizon-motorola-droid-2-global-slider-android-smartphone.jpg

strafen
11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
After 6 years with Sprint...
We've made the switch to AT&T.
I bought my wife and my daughter a Blackberry Torch, and of course one for myself.
Got it at a great deal thru my company (corporate perks!)
Bought one for $50.00 got one free, and paid 50 bucks for the other.
I'm starting to get used to the phone, so far it's all good

broncocalijohn
11-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks!

thought this had to be old when I saw Jana as a poster. I Wonder if she has ever shown up to a tailgate when she states she will? On to your phone Meck. There is a great sales guy/manager down at the Cherry Creek Mall that works at the Kiosk. He should help you out a ton. Goes by the name of Tatum. I just finally got a phone that has Text capabilities and not sure why it took me so damn long. Internet access, check emails and text.

Doggcow
11-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a Torch, love it.

Sassy
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Blackberry Curve...not bad so far...Going to get a newer model in Feb. when AT&T takes over...haven't heard great things about the Iphone...Like the looks of the Torch. My last two phones were samsung and I had really good luck with them.

Broncoman13
11-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks!

I went with the LG Ally about 6 months ago. Nice phone but I really wish I would have went with the X. A couple of my friends have the X and it is sweet! The Droid Apps are nice and meet or exceed those of apple (iPhone). You should be aware that the Droid phones have piss poor battery life. As in, you're probably going to have to charge daily (or every evening as I do). This seems to apply to every Android phone. But, it is very nice to hit the "speaker" button and say what you want and it automatically kicks back exactly what you're looking for. I want to order pizza, I simply say Blvd Pizza and the closest town and it kicks back the phone number and a map. If I click the map it takes me to GPS and gives me turn by turn directions. Or I simply click the phone # and I'm speaking with the pizza joint in a matter of seconds and placing my order. Very nice feature. All of the messages are kept in order so you can actually carry a conversation via txtmsg and see what you've wrote and what the other person has wrote without clicking several different messages.

Again, the only mistake I made was not getting the X. I couldn't tell you much about the HTC as I don't know anyone that owns that phone.

chadta
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
You should be aware that the Droid phones have piss poor battery life. As in, you're probably going to have to charge daily (or every evening as I do). This seems to apply to every Android phone.

its not just the droid phones, the iphones batterys suck too, i mean i can get 3 days out of it if i turn off 3g, and dont do much browsing on wifi, but whats the point of having a phone that can do all that crap if ya turn it off.

my favorite part of the phone tho is the tom tom app, i use the ipod, have it going threw my stereo, and it fades the music down a bit to give me directions, then puts the tunes back on when its done, does the same for phone calls, so instead of a radio, gps and a phone i now only need one thing.

i think it different down there, i have carrier options uphere using an iphone, even without unlocking, as pretty well all carriers in canada have the iphone, and the blackberry, so you dont have to pick a phone just to get with the carrier you want.

Killericon
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/os0MSsU_R30?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/os0MSsU_R30?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's all.

Rigs11
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I got the iPhone 4 and it is sweet.fast, great battery life, amazing screen, and have not had any issues with AT&T.it is jailbroken too which is easy to do.

Sassy
11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Iphone Vs. Bold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7cqFQatP4&feature=related

Rock Chalk
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM

iPhones are terrific, if you are a mac person. They integrate well into the mac lifestyle.

If you aren't, its a big brick. My entire working life is integrated someway, somehow into Google so Droid's are perfect for me.

The new Windows phones we got at work for development testing and even teh Mac guys were impressed. I think each of them has their pro's and cons. AT&T is awful and I would not wish that service on anyone. Droid phones are cluttered with ads and quite frankly Im not entirely certain I trust Google. Windows phones probably won't have nearly the app library that Droids or iPhones will have but they are otherwise very sleek and usable phones.

HILife
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
iPhones are terrific, if you are a mac person. They integrate well into the mac lifestyle.

If you aren't, its a big brick. My entire working life is integrated someway, somehow into Google so Droid's are perfect for me.

The new Windows phones we got at work for development testing and even teh Mac guys were impressed. I think each of them has their pro's and cons. AT&T is awful and I would not wish that service on anyone. Droid phones are cluttered with ads and quite frankly Im not entirely certain I trust Google. Windows phones probably won't have nearly the app library that Droids or iPhones will have but they are otherwise very sleek and usable phones.

The ads are what make a lot of the apps free. Windows 7 phone looks interesting, but i'm all about Android. Droid for life......or until something better comes out.

Sassy
11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/smartphone.htm

SouthStndJunkie
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
My wife and I bought Droid 2 phones over the weekend.

Pretty sweet so far....but I'm sure I will find some things I don't like about it over time.

Rock Chalk
11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
My wife and I bought Droid 2 phones over the weekend.

Pretty sweet so far....but I'm sure I will find some things I don't like about it over time.

That's because you cant invent the perfect phone :)

baja
11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I got the iPhone 4 and it is sweet.fast, great battery life, amazing screen, and have not had any issues with AT&T.it is jail broken too which is easy to do.

Warning;

I jail broke and then unlocked my US ATT iphone and put in my TelCel sims card in so I could use my old G3 iphone in Mexico. Big mistake! Seems my account was set up for a Blackberry I used to have so due to the configuration my unlocked iphone generated about $4000 pesos worth of data in two weeks. All this to avoid a two year commitment that would have given me a new G4 iphone for free. I hate Carlos Slim.

frerottenextelway
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
I got the iPhone 4 and it is sweet.fast, great battery life, amazing screen, and have not had any issues with AT&T.it is jailbroken too which is easy to do.

Pretty much the same here. I've noticed Verizon has better coverage, but AT&T isn't too far behind. I do almost everything from the iPhone4 anymore, I barely use the home PC or laptop in my daily routine.

That One Guy
11-30-2010, 07:03 PM
So for those of us on AT&T, what's the best option? I currently have a samsung that works well but I get jealous of those who have a phone that does everything. I just got my first Apple product over the weekend (an iPod touch) and it's nice but I'm not overly excited about being tied to the app store.

Orange4Life
11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I have a Droid X. I got it over the Droid Incredible because it has a better battery. The battery has been very good. It hasn't died on my yet and I've had some heavy usage. The only down side is its a little bigger than I'd like but it still its in my front pocket reasonably well.
The GPS and Google on the it is awesome. Use it all the time and its spot on.
The Droid 2 and Fascinate were not out when I got mine so I can't really compare them to the X.

RhymesayersDU
11-30-2010, 07:14 PM
FWIW, I just got the Droid Pro for Verizon. I've only had it a couple days but I'm enjoying it.

HAT
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
That's because you cant invent the perfect phone :)

HPalm will have it out next year. :thumbs:

WebOS is hands down the best software....Just need the hardware to back it up.

And I don't give a crap about app counts. Most 'apps' are really just optimized versions of companies mobile browsers....Needed b/c the mobile browsers look like **** on an Iphone size screen.

Give me an 4" + screen with webOS 2.0 and that's perfection for me.

HILife
11-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Warning;

I jail broke and then unlocked my US ATT iphone and put in my TelCel sims card in so I could use my old G3 iphone in Mexico. Big mistake! Seems my account was set up for a Blackberry I used to have so due to the configuration my unlocked iphone generated about $4000 pesos worth of data in two weeks. All this to avoid a two year commitment that would have given me a new G4 iphone for free. I hate Carlos Slim.

That's not so bad. What's that, about $2?

That One Guy
11-30-2010, 09:05 PM

Pfft... we've been led to believe pesos have no value but that caused me to end up with one hell of a bartab in Cozumel last summer. They definitely get the last laugh there...

baja
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM

4000 ÷ 12 = 333 US dollars

BroncosSR
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Got an over-clocked and rooted Droid X. Absolutely awesome phone. Never thought I'd be able to deal not having a hard keyboard but it's surprisingly been not too bad.

You can't go wrong with Android OS.

Don't like the HTC Androids because they put their own software layer on top like they do with their Windows Mobile devices. I've heard that it's configurable but I can't say for certain.

baja
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Pfft... we've been led to believe pesos have no value but that caused me to end up with one hell of a bartab in Cozumel last summer. They definitely get the last laugh there...

The dollar is tanking in Mexico. Most places don't even want them anymore. The dollar used to be the currency you saved because it always appreciated against the Mexican Peso, not true any more thanks to the bailout and current fed practices.

Archer81
11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Currently have an EnV3. Nifty little phone. I think I am going to get the Android when my contract is up in May. If Verizon ever gets the I-Phone, I might consider that too.

:Broncos:

montrose
11-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Been working in mobile phones for a while now, here's the best breakdown I can offer:

Carriers

Verizon: Best coverage in terms of locations, if you plan on needing service in more remote areas they are a great choice. Not the most cost effective, especially if you need a family plan with multiple phones using data because they charge 30 bucks per phone for a data plan.

AT&T: Good if you travel abroad and want to keep using the same phone because it runs on GSM (uses a SIM card you can swap). Coverage can be spotty at times, prices are about average. Not the best carrier unless you want an iPhone or Blackberry Torch (the most popular Blackberry out).

Sprint: Really good price value for what you get, especially if you want a family plan with multiple phones on data. Also, they don't count minutes if you're calling any mobile carrier so basically your minutes are just for landlines. Coverage is pretty good, not great in some remote areas - better than AT&T but not as good as Verizon. If you get a 4G phone (EVO and Epic) they charge you 10 bucks a month wither your area has it or doesn't.

T-Mobile: I don't carry them so don't know much. Seem to have good prices and decent coverage, also runs on GSM so a good fit for international.

Phone OS

Android: Fully customizable interface, lots of really cool apps - most of which are free. The Google Maps works well for navigation and the Facebook integration for contacts is nice. Downside is that it can be a bit glitchy, especially if your phone isn't up to the 2.2 version like the Samsung Galaxy series (still on 2.1). About a million ways to do the same thing, which some like and some don't. Battery life tends to suck on all of them, definitly want to get a Task Killer (I recommend Adao's) to help with efficiency. Widgets like weather calendars and Friend Stream will also drain the hell out of the battery. At present time my favorite OS but I can see how it would cause a steep learning curve for someone's first smartphone.

iPhone - Very smooth and quick OS that is quite simple to navigate. Suprisingly very popular with the older crowd because of it's easy of use. Not a lot of customization and very streamlined in terms of doing things. Controlled OS helps improve batter life and limit data usage (important because AT&T now has a 2GB cap). The most apps you can find, some are free and some cost money.

Blackberry - Great for e-mails and texts, still growing in terms of browsing and apps. The new Torch has a nice browser and supports many of the new apps. The OS does a great job with battery life and controlling data. Perfect for the work-first person but maybe not the best choice if you're looking for a fun phone. Not that's a bad phone, just not as intuitive as the other choices.

Windows 7 Phone - New and I haven't played with it much. The interface is similar to iPhone in that it's not very customizable but streamlines processes. Nice integration if use Outlook or are an Xbox gamer. Apps are obviously very new so not a ton yet but more will surely come.

Phones

Phones are constantly changing so the first step is choosing what carrier and platform you want. After that, do you want a keyboard or not? That'll cut your selection down more - than choose how big you want your phone to be. Most likely your top choices will look like:

Verizon - Droid X if you want a big, bad ass phone; Droid 2 Global if you want a keyboard with Android OS, Droid Pro if you like the shape of a Blackberry but want touch screen browsing and better apps with Android, Fascinate if you want a fancier looking phone with bright screen and Incredible for just a solid Android smartphone (we sell more Incredible's than other Verizon phones).

AT&T - If you want an iPhone, than that's the phone to get. The hardware is impeccable and the OS very smooth, if you can put up with the carrier you'll probably love it. Captivate is a nice Android phone and the Aria is cool if you want a smaller Android. The Sense is the one Windows 7 phone I've seen and I liked the feel but wasn't a big fan of the slide out speaker. The Torch is the best Blackberry I've ever seen, really fast and the touch browsing is Android/iPhone-esque.

Sprint - The EVO's probably the best hardware you can buy outside of the iPhone but it is a physically huge phone. If you want a keyboard, go with the Epic. At a lower pricepoint the Transform and Optimius are pretty good phones. The Blackberry Bold is their flagship phone although they've got a new one that flips (can't remember the name) and runs on the latest OS.

Hopefully that helps, feel free to PM with questions.

HILife
12-09-2010, 07:58 AM
4000 ÷ 12 = 333 us dollars

wow!

enjolras
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
The dollar is tanking in Mexico. Most places don't even want them anymore. The dollar used to be the currency you saved because it always appreciated against the Mexican Peso, not true any more thanks to the bailout and current fed practices.

It's still trading significantly higher than it was in the first half of last decade.