PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Trade a 6th for Rams Jimmy Kennedy

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Drek
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Also saying that Brees is a better QB is a big stretch. Right now I'd say they are close to equal and Rivers has only played for one year.
I wouldn't say that.

Rivers OL, RBs, and TEs were better last year. His defense was much better, putting him in less stressful situations. Despite that he was still inconsistent and trended down pretty significantly from month to month over last season.

Brees had a line that in '05 was considered one of the NFL's worst, relied heavily on a rookie RB and WR, and was starting on a new team that had a mediocre defense that put a heavy weight on the offense to carry them. His QB rating trended upwards over the first three months and only dropped down from a 110 to a 91 the last month.

Brees one of the best QBs in the league last year. Rivers was very inconsistent depending on the team he played. That doesn't mean Rivers doesn't have a higher ceiling, but Brees was a significantly better player last year despite giving a significant edge in surrounding talent to Rivers. Don't deny the man his props just because he doesn't play for you anymore.

400HZ
06-14-2007, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't say that.

Rivers OL, RBs, and TEs were better last year. His defense was much better, putting him in less stressful situations. Despite that he was still inconsistent and trended down pretty significantly from month to month over last season.

Brees had a line that in '05 was considered one of the NFL's worst, relied heavily on a rookie RB and WR, and was starting on a new team that had a mediocre defense that put a heavy weight on the offense to carry them. His QB rating trended upwards over the first three months and only dropped down from a 110 to a 91 the last month.

Brees one of the best QBs in the league last year. Rivers was very inconsistent depending on the team he played. That doesn't mean Rivers doesn't have a higher ceiling, but Brees was a significantly better player last year despite giving a significant edge in surrounding talent to Rivers. Don't deny the man his props just because he doesn't play for you anymore.

I like Brees a lot, don't get me wrong. Without question he is my 2nd favorite QB in the league. Realistically though, he played with the same weapons in SD as Rivers and didn't do as well. And New Orleans DID have good players this year. They have a dynamic receiving core, good offensive line, a strong running attack, and a very good coach. The NFC is also much easier to play in. Brees was 1-3 vs the AFC this year.

Even if you want to give Brees an edge right now though, he's probably not going to get much better while Rivers has only played one season and has tremendous upside.

400HZ
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Ok you got me on the comp pick. Comp picks though you only get because you never sign any good FA. WHy? because Spanos is cheap.

Spanos isn't spending his own money to sign players. Do you understand how the salary cap works? And did you ever think that instead of throwing money into a weak free agent pool that maybe him and AJ want to keep guys like Castillo, Merriman, Olshanksy, and McNeill around? It might seem like a radical concept to save money for extending young, talented players versus overpaying much less talented retreads and hoping they fit our system and that we can get a few years out of them.

"why the hell doesn't AJ do anything in free agency": overspending wild cash on free agents = not being able to sign your own stars. AJ hasn't signed marginal free agents because cap space following the 2007 and 2008 seasons needs to be spent on Charger players whose contracts expire after the end of the 2009 season.

The MVPlaya
03-29-2010, 05:48 PM
WTF? Bump