PDA

View Full Version : The OrangeMane WEIGHT LOSS Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BroncoBuff
04-05-2007, 06:41 AM
This thread was Rhymesayers idea a couple months ago, but I'm starting it now because I had a harrowing experience two weeks ago: I cut my finger, and it obviously needed to be sewn up. So I went to the hospital - and they put me on a scale .... Now, I'm very much aware of my (relatively-recent) weight problem, and I knew I weighed this much, but it was a groundshaking moment when this hospital scale - clearly an official health oriented piece of equipment - spitted out on the digital readout:320.00Yes, it had two decimal places.

On the "bright side," I stand 6'6" - 6'7" in shoes, so I'm not exactly a beach ball, but clearly the wheels have come off on my diet and my health. When I moved to Seattle 3 years ago this month, I weighed 230-235 ... and I've never been over 255 ... so I have a real problem here.

I started a diet the next day, and I've lost (ostensibly) 7 pounds already. The diet has been quite easy - so far. I bought a big sack of almonds, and one of raisins, a couple of those big bags of apples and oranges, a couple 18-packs of eggs, pita bread, two of those cannisters of tomatoes, two pounds of lean deli-turkey and a half-dozen avocadoes (I make 'em all the time, Jim), along with canola oil and plain popcorn. Plus, every day (so far) I've briskly walked three blocks to the dog park, circled it and came home ... about 3/4 miles on the odometer.

I'm Inviting All O-Maners to join this thread. Give a capsule history like I gave, and talk about the steps you're taking - SPECIFIC steps you're taking. Critique my ad hoc diet thusfar, and share ideas, recipes, etc ....

Finally, I propose we end each post with two numbers, as such: 13/-7 ... that means "13" days on the diet, and "minus 7" pounds. I'll start at zero though....

1/Even

BroncoBuff
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Actually I deserve 1 pound for starting this thread ....

1 day/-1 pound

watermock
04-05-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm a big Edgar Cayce believer and he was big on Almonds. I tipped the scales at 213 last time and I shouldn't be above 180 even at 47.

Old Dude
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
185 days / -38 lbs.

Currently 6'2 217

Grilled chicken salad, unbuttered popcorn, apples & bananas, 20 minutes, 6 days a week on the bike (except for the last month) and lots of gut-wrenching stress.

BroncoBuff
04-05-2007, 07:32 AM
38 pounds in 6 months, Old Dude?

CONGRATS! You give me hope!

I like the "Tiger Sandwiches" thusfar, even though I use Pita bread .... are avocadoes okay? And, is there a type of bread that's okay? (I'm assuming bread is bad - that's what I hear).

(BTW, if any smartass suggests meth-amphetamine, you're banned from this thread. I'm looking at you, Atlas.)

heydensmom
04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I'll join in, I've been struggling with that last 20 pounds for a good 6 months now

18 months/-127
15 more to go

That One Guy
04-05-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm in the military but love my food so weight loss is a constant cycle. Every 6 months I take a PT test (2 mile run, push ups, and sit ups) and have to weigh in. Immediately following my PT test and weigh in I often balloon up to about 250 or so... sometimes a bit higher. I hold the weight well so noone else really notices but I definitely do when I start to come back around to time to lose it again.

Last time I had a PT test and weigh in my wife went back to visit her family and I had my local flag football team in full swing and dropped from about 240ish to like 217 in about 2 weeks eating just a steak or two or a pork chop or two per night. I was out doing stuff all day and I love my grill so it was something I could cook and it worked great. I could never have imagined weight falling off so quick. I definitely think it had something to do with not eating all the breads and other nonsense that are a very common visitor to my diet.

heydensmom
04-05-2007, 08:06 AM
38 pounds in 6 months, Old Dude?

CONGRATS! You give me hope!

I like the "Tiger Sandwiches" thusfar, even though I use Pita bread .... are avocadoes okay? And, is there a type of bread that's okay? (I'm assuming bread is bad - that's what I hear).

(BTW, if any smartass suggests meth-amphetamine, you're banned from this thread. I'm looking at you, Atlas.)

Avacados are ok, they are high high in fat, but it's the good fat. I don't eat much bread, fills me up to quickly. But if it's a whole grain, none processed type it's a lot better for you then white bread. I adhere to reaching a certain amount of protien a day 50-70 grams. May not seem like a lot, but when your stomach's the size of an egg, that's a lot. :)

Sassy
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Good luck everybody!
I'm looking to lose a few pounds and get in better shape too...
My goal is 15 lbs. by July!

I'm also big on Almonds...even at 8 bucks a bag.! LOL

I wish the snow would melt so I could get the bike out again (I was doing 10-12 miles almost every day last summer/fall) ...maybe next week. I also do water aerobics...I have bought a "pilates" beginners kits and some 2 lb. weights so I would like to try that out too! What's everyone else doing?

RhymesayersDU
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Awesome thread. I need to get on the scale.

Sassy
04-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Hey HM...if you need a couple of protein ideas...
I throw in some wheat germ and/or I just bought some ground flax seed...into a blender with nonfat vanilla yogurt, bananas, strawberries or whatever, a little orange juice or milk and make a smoothie. Pretty tasty!
(If I'm doing just vanilla yogurt with a banana, I throw in some vanilla and cinnamon/nutmeg.)

Billy Clyde Puckett
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm in. I have porked up over the last 3-4 months as I have been on a very strange schedule. When that happens I just grab whatever is handy when I feel hungry and gain weight. Beginning diet Monday. Will probably do an Atkins like diet. I have been doing 30 minutes on a Nordic Trak machine almost every day I am home for the last 4 years.

Sassy
04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
What I found works better is small meals/snacks.
I think when I lost 12 lbs. last fall I felt like I was eating all the time!
Even if it was just a sugar free popsicle (Lifesavers ones!) or munching on baby carrots.

Old Dude
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Some things that have helped...

Somehow, you've got to get some exercise in with the diet. It might slow down a little of the weight loss, because muscle weighs more than fat, but it will keep things going. I actually understated the bike business. More like 25minutes a day, and I prefer to set it on fairly high resistance. And then I'd sometimes toss in some simple sit-ups afterwards. I've lost 5 inches off my beltline.

Lost an average of about 10 lbs a month over the first 3 months, and now I've slowed down a lot, but the plan is to do a lot of outdoor biking when the weather clears up.

Diet-wise, I've also made use of oatmeal (which I really don't like very much) but it's not so bad if you toss in some dried berries and a little lo-cal syrup.

Whole grain bread/toast has been a goodie, but I use either fake butter or peanut butter (if I'm really starved).

Baked potatos aren't bad, but you have to be careful what you slap on them. I go with fake butter and/or low-fat sour cream.

Dry roasted peanuts aren't too bad, if you don't overdue it. Takes a long tme to chew them up, anyway.

Low fat yogurt helps.

I quit drinking soda (which I wasn't really that crazy about to start with) and drink a lot more water than I used to. Water is much better for you.

When in doubt (or in a hurry), take a shot at some of the "healthy choice" or "weight-watchers" dinners. Not that expensive, easy to fix (and clean up), and it gets you a little more used to reasonable portions.

Things that I've completely given up: chinese food (which is much worse than you'd think), burritos, mayo, sausage, french fries, pizza, ordinary potato chips (the baked kind aren't so bad) fatty ice creams, and anything that remotely looks like a donut or a hostess twinkie.

It also helps to take a break from the diet once in awhile. Once or twice a month, treat yourself to something evil. Then just put in a few more minutes exercise (before or after) and make sure you have enough discipline to go back to the usual stuff. (So if you're going to be evil, make it an expensive, luxurious evil.)

Mediator12
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Alright, i'm in.

I am 5'11 and 205 with 25 lbs of pure belly. I played at 170 but a realistic goal should be 180.

I have been in shape all of my life until the second ACL in 2005. My son was born 3 months into rehab and I never finished it properly. I take care of both my kids during the day unless I have clients or practicum (group training). My daughter goes to school a half day every day and I never seem to be able to work out anymore while she is gone. That is always when I went before my son was born. I need to resume my workouts and finish my left leg rehab.

Another problem is that I cook for the family and if my wife is not "on board" I make foods that are not conducive to weight loss ;D I never had a problem eating all that I do when I was burning 3500+ calories a day. Now, I have put on thirty five lbs eating the way I used to eat.

I convinced her to use Bill Phillips "Body for Life" plan back in 2001 when we had our first child because his plan is simple, easy to follow, and includes both exercise and diet. This has both science and results behind it. I did it with her and we were both did very well with it until the holidays rolled around and we quit doing it. Check out Bodyforlife.com for the particulars of the diet. Bill Phillips used to work with TD and Romo during the Superbowl years and is a good DEN guy to boot ;D

smalltowngrll
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Just found this gem! What a great idea.

I'd like to drop a good 20 pounds prior to the end of June (race time).

Winter is always a tough time for me as I tend to put on about 10 pounds because I'm not outside running due to the fact that it gets dark so early and is dark when I wake. I'm not really into running on the treadmill.

Anyway, I've found in the past it was really helpful to log the foods I eat and the exercises I do each day. I use www.fitday.com . It's free to set up your account and there are a lot of foods already in their system. You can add your own if you want. Also, you can enter the exercises you do each day as well. I've found that it's way too easy to eat more calories than you really think you are. When I look over a week's time in the reports section, I can then see what my calorie deficit is and I should know about what my weight loss is at that point.

Right now I'm training for a half marathon, so I know that I'll lose fat rather quickly...however, I'm also putting on muscle at the same time through lots of weight training, so I can't use the scale to judge my success. It sucks because I'm such a numbers person.

Anyway, having to account for your actions is ALWAYS a motivator...so, I'll bite! :)

13 days/-3

heydensmom
04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks Sassy, I do Isopure vanilla protien powder. There's a lot of stuff I can't tolerate...OJ being one of them...but that sounds very good.

BMF Bronco
04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I started my diet mid-February at 240 pounds (yes I know) but have been hitting the gym virtually every day (excluding the past week, as vacation got in the way) but as of this morning I was down to 223 and want to drop another 20 by the end of June.

Billy Clyde Puckett
04-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Alright, i'm in.

I am 5'11 and 205 with 25 lbs of pure belly. I played at 170 but a realistic goal should be 180.

I have been in shape all of my life until the second ACL in 2005. My son was born 3 months into rehab and I never finished it properly. I take care of both my kids during the day unless I have clients or practicum (group training). My daughter goes to school a half day every day and I never seem to be able to work out anymore while she is gone. That is always when I went before my son was born. I need to resume my workouts and finish my left leg rehab.

Another problem is that I cook for the family and if my wife is not "on board" I make foods that are not conducive to weight loss ;D I never had a problem eating all that I do when I was burning 3500+ calories a day. Now, I have put on thirty five lbs eating the way I used to eat.

I convinced her to use Bill Phillips "Body for Life" plan back in 2001 when we had our first child because his plan is simple, easy to follow, and includes both exercise and diet. This has both science and results behind it. I did it with her and we were both did very well with it until the holidays rolled around and we quit doing it. Check out Bodyforlife.com for the particulars of the diet. Bill Phillips used to work with TD and Romo during the Superbowl years and is a good DEN guy to boot ;D

I had thought seriously about the Body for Life program and know several who swear by it. The reason I have picked the Atkins style diet is that it has worked for me before and I have no problem with a diet of meat and vegatables. I eat very few sweets, so all I need to do is eliminate the starches. Like I said, I do the Nordic Trak for cardio, but really need to get back on the weight machine. That has been a little difficult as I have arthritis in both shoulders and a couple other places. We have an issue with meals at home as my wife is on a restricted diet and the kids have decided to be fussy about what they will eat. I am 6'2" and weigh in the neighborhood of 235. I need to get down to around 205.

RhymesayersDU
04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, weighed myself today. I was both shocked and amazed.

I weighed in at 265, which is the most I've ever weighed. But, I know it's not all fat because I've stayed the same pant size since I've been home.

Still, there was shock. Now I have been lifting weights three times a week, so that has been the reason for my added weight, but my gut hasn't gone down any. Bottom line is, even though I try and eat well, I really need to get my butt on the treadmill soon.

And did we have to start this thread on Easter weekend? I've got chocolate coming out of my ears here at home. Ugh...

OregonBronco
04-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Anyway, I've found in the past it was really helpful to log the foods I eat and the exercises I do each day. I use www.fitday.com . It's free to set up your account and there are a lot of foods already in their system. You can add your own if you want.

That's a pretty cool site. Lots of helpful info and tracking tools. I dig it.

Ok, this thread has inspired me. I'm ready to get serious about dropping the last 20. Right now I'm 6'3", 217 lbs. I'd like to get to 200 by the end of May. I've been looking at Bowflex machines the past couple of weeks and I think I'm gonna go pick one up tonight. Anybody have any experience with Bowflex?

heydensmom
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I know Bronconia uses a bowflex, give him a pm i'm sure he'll give you advice...;D

OregonBronco
04-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I know Bronconia uses a bowflex, give him a pm i'm sure he'll give you advice...;D

Cool...muy gracias!

And congrats on the weight loss. 127 lbs is pretty freakin' impressive. :thumbsup:

OregonBronco
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
My officemate told me about this little gem...

http://www.fastexercise.com/

Don't let so-called "experts" like doctors and physical trainers dissuade you from getting the ULTIMATE exercise machine. Order yours today!!

:spit:

Pick Six
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
My officemate told me about this little gem...

http://www.fastexercise.com/

Don't let so-called "experts" like doctors and physical trainers dissuade you from getting the ULTIMATE exercise machine. Order yours today!!

:spit:

nice...That's only 4 minutes a day more than I exercise now:rofl:

BroncoBuff
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
This is great stuff .... my hand is tired from writing stuff down.

Now I'm off to Albertsons .... what aisle is the wheat germ on?

Sassy
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
This is great stuff .... my hand is tired from writing stuff down.

Now I'm off to Albertsons .... what aisle is the wheat germ on?

Wheat germ is in the cereal isle...I found mine by the oatmeal.
Ground flax I found by the produce section.
Lots of protein in both although the flax has fat...but I'm guessing it's the good kind!

Other places might be the health food isle or in the baking section by the flours.

BroncoBuff
04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Well, I was in such a rush to go shop, I didn't look at the time and I missed the first 20 minutes of "The Office." Anyway, I think I'm gonna start shopping in smaller trips, because when I buy lots of stuff - even good stuff - I usually eat a lot when I get home. Last night I made a "Tiger Sandwich," then a banana smoothie with wheat germ, and later a big bowl of popcorn ...

PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: Here's BroncoBuff headed into his living room ... looks like he has a turkey avacado sandwich
COLOR ANNOUNCER: I make 'em al the time, Jim.
HEYDENSMOM: Avocadoes are the good kind of fat ...
PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: How did you get in the booth??

Sassy
04-07-2007, 01:23 AM
What did you put in your smoothie?

BroncoBuff
04-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I just PM'd you with that, Sassy!

Man, we have ESP going tonight ...

I used: 2 bananas, non-fat milk, non-fat yogurt, a small amount of orange juice, about 3 tbsp of wheat germ and 2 packets of Sweet-n-Low.

Not bad ... I wanted to put an egg in, but my gf said to buy protein powder instead. What do you suggest?

I will say this: I've read where dark berries are just about the BEST foods you can put in your body. Blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, etc .... tons of anti-oxidants. Are frozen blueberies just as good> because I bought a bag of frozen blueberries. Frozen - in addition to keeping longer - have the added advantage of being a natural cooling ingredient for a smoothie. My smoothie wasn't cold enough .... I think the yogurt was near room-temp by the time I used it.

Sassy
04-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Never used protein powder...how much does it actually have in it?
Wheat germ has? Can't remember...and Flax is 6 grams I think.
You can add ice to your smoothie!
I don't use sweet/low chemicals yuck!
I do use Dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt..yeah it has "sugar" but it's lower than most...then you don't need the sweetners especially if you use a banana. You don't need the OJ unless you want it...you can do whatever you want.

Berries are awesome! I think fresh are better and I'm not big on blueberries! Ha!

Sassy
04-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Sassy Tip: If you're used to "conditioned" to eating fast food in your car...I found that it really helps to have a bag of baby carrots or something else in your car ... keeps you from stopping at the drive thru if you have something to munch on! LOL! Or buy a light smoothie (I love yoplait) and keep it at work to grab on your break or your way home!

Old Dude
04-07-2007, 12:06 PM
188 days / -40 lbs.

Currently 6'2 215

:)

BroncoBuff
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
You're an inspiration Old Dude ... 40 pounds in 6 months. Nice.

BAD NEWS FOR ME: I'm the exact same weight I was a week ago! I can see why people say that watching the number on the scale can be disheartening. I have borderline-fasted much ot the past week ... Does anybody know the pros/cons of the OptiFast type liquid diet - the Oprah thing? I don't wanna endanger my health, but I'm sure I could go 3 or 4 weeks to get uner 300 pounds. Once I weigh "2"-something, then I'll feel better, and will start a more sensible plan. I need to lose 14 to get to 299...

It's three weeks today since I weighed in on that hospital scale ... I'm gonna count my losses from that day, instead of the thread start day. I need the positive thinking...

21 days / -7

Old Dude
04-07-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks. Realistically, I'm just aiming to knock off ten to fifteen more pounds by the start of the regular season. Roughly 2 or 3 lbs a month. Then I'll see if I can keep it at that level for 5 years or until I die, whichever comes first.

BMF Bronco
04-07-2007, 05:32 PM
hit the rut, need to bust out of it.

Mediator12
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM

BAD NEWS FOR ME: I'm the exact same weight I was a week ago! I can see why people say that watching the number on the scale can be disheartening. I have borderline-fasted much ot the past week ... Does anybody know the pros/cons of the OptiFast type liquid diet - the Oprah thing? I don't wanna endanger my health, but I'm sure I could go 3 or 4 weeks to get uner 300 pounds. Once I weigh "2"-something, then I'll feel better, and will start a more sensible plan. I need to lose 14 to get to 299...

It's three weeks today since I weighed in on that hospital scale ... I'm gonna count my losses from that day, instead of the thread start day. I need the positive thinking...

21 days / -7

Go to B&N or other bookstore and look at the BFL plan. It only takes an hour to read the basics and you can buy the book if you like. Eat six small meals a day using three shakes and three real food meals right now. The smaller meals keeps metabolism optimal all day and burns more calories than three or four meals a day. The seventh day each week is a free day to trick your body from returning your set weight point to where you have dropped. The free day is eat whatever and drink whatever you want.

Plus, include a quick, smart, and easy workout. BFL's cardio workout's are 20 minutes long, but vary the intensity level's to your tolerance. The Weight sets are only 50 minutes stretching start to finish and also start to where you are right now.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, I gained 2 pounds, which seems odd based on my walking and eating changes ... but scales don't lie.

26 days / -5

Sassy
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I haven't started yet!
TODAY is Day 1~!

Old Dude
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, I gained 2 pounds, which seems odd based on my walking and eating changes ... but scales don't lie.

26 days / -5

There could be lots of reasons for that. Sometimes, if you suddenly have a rapid change in diet, I think your body can panic and it starts storing up fat.

Also, even when you are losing, and losing steadily, you'll sometimes see minor fluctuations up and down. Don't let it get to you. If you suddenly lose a bunch, it's easy to make that an excuse to cheat or to get expectations out of whack. And if you lose too little, then it gets depressing. I tried not to worry too much about the scale and just stuck rigorously to my routine and it worked.

smalltowngrll
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Yup, OD is correct.

When you make a rapid reduction in your caloric intake, your body goes into a starvation mode. Instead of burning calories at it's normal rate, it slows down your metabolism and you burn fewer calories. That's why it's always good to reduce your caloric intake slowly if you must make a major reduction.

Also, if you are exercising and you were not previously doing so, remember that you are also building muscle, which is heavier than fat. So, you can burn a pound of fat and gain two pounds of muscle. The bright side is that muscle has a lot less mass (takes up less space) than fat.

Remember that bottom line, your body must burn 3500 more calories than you eat in order to drop one pound of fat. That's 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week.

Mediator12
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM

26 days / -5

You also are experiencing water weight fluctuation. As you lose fat, you also lose natural water stores and the body self corrects the water distribution. That is natural and weight can fluctuate up to one percent of body weight as normal.

You can counteract this by drinking plenty of water every day. Like eight cups + a day. A lot of our natural Hunger sensations are also the same as our thirst sensations. Sure, there are different ones, but most of the time you think you are hungry you are really in need of water.

Sassy
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Some great advice in this thread!

JanaŽ
04-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I just found this thread also, and a wonderful, encouraging idea! I just started a diet three days ago, on Tuesday 4/10 when I busted the button on my pants. I haven't stepped on the scale and I won't, because when I do, it throws me into a depression and I'm prone to that. (I'm Bipolar and it sucks) I have gained over 80 pounds in the last 10 years due to meds that they have put me on, and I can't seem to get it off. I've been off of meds for about a year now, and the weight is not coming off. After breaking the button on my pants on Tuesday, I decided to do something about it. I'm heavier than I have ever been and miserable. My eating habits suck, as I love junk food, but I have decided to cut out the junk and the soda. Cutting out soda wasn't too hard to do, because when I was taking a certain med, it made soda taste flat, so that took away the craving for it. Even though I'm not on that med anymore, I never picked up my soda habit. (I used to drink two or three 32 oz sodas a day!) Instead I started drinking Snapple's Energy Drink, because I am so caffeine addicted and can't stand coffee. Snapple discontinued the drink not too long ago (the jerks) so that kinda helps that. I can't drink stuff like Red Bull, Rock Star or any of those because they wire me too badly. I started drinking Vitamin Water instead, and that has given me the energy I need without a caffeine headache. Especially the Energy one. So that has helped, cutting out all the sugar in that drink. My biggest downfall is Starbucks. I love the double chocolate chip frappucino creme (no coffee..) but it is so fattening! That is the hardest for me to give up, but I need to in order to be healthy. I am only 5'4" and at least 100 pounds overweight. I'm miserable and it makes my asthma worse. My mom is on a low cholesterol diet by the doctor, so I think I may follow it with her. I also am trying a diet pill (go ahead and yell at me now) I'm trying Cylaris. So far, my appetite has been lower and it's been easier to not eat junk. So i'm on day three, and even so far.

Old Dude
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, Jana, my wife is on similar medication. In fact, she's been triple whammied since she's also on some similar stuff for a secondary disorder, and she's hypothyroid to boot.

But she's still managed to lose almost 25 lbs over the past 7 months, so there's hope. She's had a lot of success with weightwatchers + exercise.

JanaŽ
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
The only thing I am still on is Xanax for anxiety.. it doesn't cause weight gain. I will get rid of this!

smalltowngrll
04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Watch out for Snapple and those energy drinks. They are loaded with calories. Remember that it's much better to EAT your calories than to DRINK them. My philosophy is that if I'm going to drink my calories...there better be alcohol in it! ;)

Snacking isn't all that bad for you, it's just what you snack on. It's good to eat small, more frequent meals. Your body burns the calories immediately rather than storing them for later burn. I like the little 100 calorie packs that you can get at the store. They have them in oreos crisps and other 'sweets'. That just enough to sooth my sweet tooth.

Another thing I do is buy the Lean Cuisine frozen meals for my lunches. They are controlled portions and help me to count of the calories I eat. If I decide to meet someone for lunch, I'll typically just have a salad or something easy and light at the restaurant.

Regarding your starbucks fun treat...have them make it with skim milk and allow yourself one or two a week. Trade that out for one or two of your typical snacks. I love my iced mochas, but I've cut back to only have them twice a week. The days that I have one I don't have a snack or I run an extra mile. It helps balance it out. If I'm tempted to splurge on something, I weigh the consequences of running an extra few miles. If I REALLY want that "extra" treat then I'll be ok with the extra work out. But, most of the time I wimp out and pass on the treat.

JanaŽ
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
That's a great idea, STG! The Starbucks i get is creme based, and loaded with chocolate and whipped cream. Yikes! I've cut myself down to once a week, or once every two weeks. The lean cuisine meals is a great idea.. I am going to get some of those! The 100 calorie packs is another great idea. It's so hard to stay away from chips and chocolate and junk when I manage a convenience store and am surrounded all day long by it! I got lucky with snapple discontinuing my energy drink, because I don't like the other Energy drinks! I'm sticking to Vitamin Water and water, and stopping the fast food and junk.

smalltowngrll
04-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, another of my do or die tricks. Plan ahead!! Always have something healthy to munch on. The second I hit the "I'm famished" stage I'll eat anything in sight. It's always good to plan the week ahead. You know what your weaknesses are at work, so try different things to avoid falling into grabbing whatever is handy (which is usually unhealthy).

With all that being said...I'm so frustrated with my training right now. I need to be weight training along with my running, but I'm struggling with finding the time or energy to get to the gym. I've found that I'm out running and my cardio is fine, but my legs are not as strong as they were 6 months ago and so my legs are tired before I'm tired. So, that is the goal next week. Keep me accountable guys. I need to hit the gym to do weights at least 3 times next week...and two sessions need to be training legs!!

JanaŽ
04-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm rooting for you STG!

Old Dude
04-14-2007, 01:26 PM
-2 more lbs this week

195 days / -42 lbs.

Currently 213

RhymesayersDU
04-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Figured I'd check in on this thread.

My story goes like this: I've been lifting weights since August, which I feel really good about. I've actually gained a lot of good weight in the form of muscle.

Problem is, my suit I wore to Church for Easter was a little snugger than I thought it'd be, so even if it's just 1 pant size, I'd like to drop some poundage. I've always hovered around a 40... Was down to a 38 when I was on Atkins, but now have gained weight to be around what I would call a 41... My 40 pants still fit, although tight.

I drastically changed my diet starting this past Monday. I also finally pushed myself to start running on the treadmill as well as walking the dogs more frequently. I hate to do it. Running was always a punishment for me, being on the football and basketball teams. But I gotta do it.

Right now, a typical day for me is the following:
Go to work at the restaurant, have 2 eggs (egg beaters) and dry wheat toast to start the day. Somewhere around lunchtime, I have a turkey sandwich on wheat or some kind of salad. No cheese, or other such add ons. For dinner I have a Whey Protein Shake, with a banana blended in. I've also switched almost exclusively to water. I've been off regular soda since August, but now I don't even do Diet drinks or Iced Tea with sweet & low.

You can probably classify this as one of those, drastic drops in caloric intake that was being discussed earlier. But I gotta do something. I need to go to the grocery store this weekend and find some healthy snacks. I had some grapes while watching the Nuggets game last night, but I never realized how unhealthy everything in my house is (snack wise) until I really put conscious effort into watching what I eat.

Anyways, I really just would like to look good for my girlfriend's formal at the end of May. I don't care about what the scale says, since I'm lifting, but if I can just fit into my 40 pants and look good in my suit, I'll be happy, and can hopefully make further improvements from there.

Sassy
04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
The bike riding starts today!
What a gorgeous spring day!

smalltowngrll
04-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Figured I'd check in on this thread.

My story goes like this: I've been lifting weights since August, which I feel really good about. I've actually gained a lot of good weight in the form of muscle.

Problem is, my suit I wore to Church for Easter was a little snugger than I thought it'd be, so even if it's just 1 pant size, I'd like to drop some poundage. I've always hovered around a 40... Was down to a 38 when I was on Atkins, but now have gained weight to be around what I would call a 41... My 40 pants still fit, although tight.

I drastically changed my diet starting this past Monday. I also finally pushed myself to start running on the treadmill as well as walking the dogs more frequently. I hate to do it. Running was always a punishment for me, being on the football and basketball teams. But I gotta do it.

Right now, a typical day for me is the following:
Go to work at the restaurant, have 2 eggs (egg beaters) and dry wheat toast to start the day. Somewhere around lunchtime, I have a turkey sandwich on wheat or some kind of salad. No cheese, or other such add ons. For dinner I have a Whey Protein Shake, with a banana blended in. I've also switched almost exclusively to water. I've been off regular soda since August, but now I don't even do Diet drinks or Iced Tea with sweet & low.

You can probably classify this as one of those, drastic drops in caloric intake that was being discussed earlier. But I gotta do something. I need to go to the grocery store this weekend and find some healthy snacks. I had some grapes while watching the Nuggets game last night, but I never realized how unhealthy everything in my house is (snack wise) until I really put conscious effort into watching what I eat.

Anyways, I really just would like to look good for my girlfriend's formal at the end of May. I don't care about what the scale says, since I'm lifting, but if I can just fit into my 40 pants and look good in my suit, I'll be happy, and can hopefully make further improvements from there.

It looks like you are making the right decisions. But, instead of running and thinking it as a punishment, why not limit that run to, say,. 15 minutes and then add a different form of cardio that you enjoy for another 15 or so minutes. In order to make cardio a way of life it really does have to be something that you enjoy. If not, you will get to the weight you want and then start making excuses to skip it because it's more of a burden than an enjoyment. Cardio is the best way to drop weight and burn the fat. Lifting weights without burning the fat just means that you will add muscle under the fat. Although, adding muscle also means that you are increasing your sedentary caloric burn, or increasing your metabolism.

smalltowngrll
04-14-2007, 03:23 PM
The bike riding starts today!
What a gorgeous spring day!

:thumbsup: WTG, Sassy!

I did hit the gym yesterday morning....EARLY! And, I'm heading there now...so, I've accompllished breaking the bad habit of skipping the weights. Now, just to continue....

Sassy
04-14-2007, 03:46 PM
:thumbsup: WTG, Sassy!

I did hit the gym yesterday morning....EARLY! And, I'm heading there now...so, I've accompllished breaking the bad habit of skipping the weights. Now, just to continue....

Here's to working out...and hoping my bike tires have enough air to get to the gas station! LOL! I haven't checked them yet!

Yep...enough air! Just rode a little over 4 miles to Moxie Java...just have to make it back now! Not bad for the first time out since October! :~ohyah!:

Pick Six
04-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I haven't done anything DRASTIC, but I have cut out French fries from my diet. Hopefully, that will lead to less fast food. French fries are always offered as a combo in those places, so I hope this is the catalyst to changing my eating habits. I've also reduced my intake of pop, which can ALSO be found at the aforementioned fast food places. Slowly, I'm making a dietary change that will last a lifetime. That's how people should do it. Old habits die hard, but weaning off them gradually is the way to go. Then, you don't miss them. I'm Catholic, so I gave up pizza for Lent one year. Now, I only eat pizza once in a blue moon. I need to exercise more often. Maybe I'll do it now that the weather is getting better...

Sassy
04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
P.S. I avoid all baked goodies and ordered water and a non-fat latte ;D
Ok...back to the second half of the bike ride! ;)

smalltowngrll
04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I haven't done anything DRASTIC, but I have cut out French fries from my diet. Hopefully, that will lead to less fast food. French fries are always offered as a combo in those places, so I hope this is the catalyst to changing my eating habits. I've also reduced my intake of pop, which can ALSO be found at the aforementioned fast food places. Slowly, I'm making a dietary change that will last a lifetime. That's how people should do it. Old habits die hard, but weaning off them gradually is the way to go. Then, you don't miss them. I'm Catholic, so I gave up pizza for Lent one year. Now, I only eat pizza once in a blue moon. I need to exercise more often. Maybe I'll do it now that the weather is getting better...

:thumbsup: Nice! Yep, I found that changing one habit at a time was the easiest. Not just giving something up, but replacing it with something else. I gave up eating red meat for about 4 years and it was probably the best thing I could have ever done. Now, I only eat red meat a couple times a month. mostly it's chicken or vegetables. I get a craving for a good burger every now and again! I also gave up pop for several years, but I replaced it with iced tea...no sweetner added. Love it. I still have a soda every once in awhile, but it's rare.

Sassy
04-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Just RED BULL ;D Ha!
Made it back ;D
Dang wind was a little chilly and tough riding on the way back...what I was doing last fall in an hour took me an extra twenty minutes!
Oh well, time to grill a turkey burger (no bun), grilled asparagus and a sweet potato.

My bad habit is dt. coke and lattes (granted non-fat mostly) ...and working with kids those are tough to give up!

JanaŽ
04-14-2007, 09:12 PM

A few fast food places are now offering alternatives to fries with value meals. I know Wendy's does, but I refuse to eat there because a customer of mine at work got E. Coli from Wendys by my store. I did give in and eat a McDonalds Sausage McMuffin for breakfast today, shame on me. I was starving and I didn't want to eat any of the garbage we offer in my gas station! Some gas stations have a bigger variety and some stuff is semi okay, but I'm in a dinky little Phillips66! Granted, we are a very busy store, but we are small and don't have a big variety of choices. Much less healthy ones. I ate junky today, but I haven't been to Starbucks in a week and I've stopped eating chocolate and junk.

JanaŽ
04-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh and WTG, all of you!

Sassy
04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
A few fast food places are now offering alternatives to fries with value meals. I know Wendy's does, but I refuse to eat there because a customer of mine at work got E. Coli from Wendys by my store. I did give in and eat a McDonalds Sausage McMuffin for breakfast today, shame on me. I was starving and I didn't want to eat any of the garbage we offer in my gas station! Some gas stations have a bigger variety and some stuff is semi okay, but I'm in a dinky little Phillips66! Granted, we are a very busy store, but we are small and don't have a big variety of choices. Much less healthy ones. I ate junky today, but I haven't been to Starbucks in a week and I've stopped eating chocolate and junk.

Start small and work your way up! Good job, Jana!

Sassy
04-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Here's what I do...everytime you skip starbucks...put that money in a jar...everytime you go to Starbucks...put double the cost of your drink in a jar...that way you'll have some spending money built up for your trip and if you really want that drink...it will cost you double! (You'll think twice!) Once you put it in a jar...vow not to take it out again until your trip!

JanaŽ
04-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Here's what I do...everytime you skip starbucks...put that money in a jar...everytime you go to Starbucks...put double the cost of your drink in a jar...that way you'll have some spending money built up for your trip and if you really want that drink...it will cost you double! (You'll think twice!) Once you put it in a jar...vow not to take it out again until your trip!

An EXCELLENT idea!!!! :thumbs: !Booya! Thank you!

Sassy
04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Ha! Actually, rereading my post. It will cost you TRIPLE...you'll have the double amount in a jar + you bought one! Hmmm at almost 12 a drink it's spendy...and your travel spending money will add up!

cbs1177
04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
I started a new position at work and have been kind of stress and worried about stuff so that tends to put a dent in to my snacking and eating. And I have been on my feet a lot more. I am 5 pounds thinner. No much but still the summer is young. I tend to drop 10-20 pounds in the summer months so I love summer.

Sassy
04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
But you have a gorgeous new place to work in!
It should get better!

JanaŽ
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I tend to be lazier in the summer because it's so darn hot outside, lol. I need to start swimming laps.

Sassy
04-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Join a water aerobics class or bike! That's what I love about summer.
It's much more fun to "bike" when you're actually going somewhere!

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Alright, i'm in.

Body for Life ROCKS!!! And it works. Its so crazy simple and works soooo well its scary. All it really takes is a little organization and the willingness to stick with it over the 12 weeks.

I am not really suffering from any un-wanted weight at the moment. I stand 5'10 -190 and want to actually bulk up a little bit more with some good muscle.

The 5-6 small meals a day thing works like magic. Also, you don't have to KILL yourself in a gym to see good results. I would say that weight loss is 50% mental, 25% diet and 25% exercise. You have to get right mentally in order to get right with your working out and diet.

JanaŽ
04-14-2007, 11:17 PM
You have to get right mentally in order to get right with your working out and diet.

Well, that leaves ME out!LOL

Kidding. And biking would be a great idea! I could bike to Starbucks!ROFL!

Sassy
04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, that leaves ME out!LOL

Kidding. And biking would be a great idea! I could bike to Starbucks!ROFL!

I've done that! LOL! The closet Starbucks is 11 miles there and back from my house! Today, it was Moxie Java that I biked to (a little over 8 miles there and back) and now my legs are paying for it! I think I overdid it a little since I haven't done that since October! Ha! Oh well, a soak in the tub will do wonders!

cbs1177
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
But you have a gorgeous new place to work in!
It should get better!

Thanks Sassy I am still kind of nervous about the job though lots to clean and really haven't been tested b/c it is freezing here in terms of the Mid-South. Next week is more normal temps here so members should start to come out and thankfully out of "starvation" period. ie slow months. I look to be about 200 by end of July. I am at 210 range now.

Sassy
04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
This is cool...you can readjust for size or type of milk.
Kinda of scarey when you see some of the calories in these drinks!

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_comparison_popup.asp
1/2 a days worth of calories or an entire day's worth of fat! Yikes!

Sassy
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
How's everyone doing in here?

JanaŽ
04-15-2007, 06:38 PM
This is cool...you can readjust for size or type of milk.
Kinda of scarey when you see some of the calories in these drinks!

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_comparison_popup.asp
1/2 a days worth of calories or an entire day's worth of fat! Yikes!

My drink has 720 calories and 25 grams of fat! Yikes!

smalltowngrll
04-15-2007, 07:09 PM
My drink has 720 calories and 25 grams of fat! Yikes!

Ouch...that's more than half of my calorie intake recommendations for a single day!

Another way to look at it, that's an hour and 20 minute run for me to work just that ONE drink off. UGH!

JanaŽ
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Which is exactly why I need to make sure and stay away from it.. :(

Sassy
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
What is it without whipped cream and skim milk?

JanaŽ
04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I need to look! Its a double chocolate chip frappucino with peppermint syrup, so it's probably higher than i thought. I forgot to look up the syrup. What I wouldn't give for one right now, lol.

JanaŽ
04-15-2007, 11:36 PM
590 calories.

Sassy
04-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Yikes! Well, did you put cash in the jar... ;D

JanaŽ
04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
LOL Nope. I should have! I wanted one badly but didn't go.

Sassy
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's what I've been doing for work. The night before I take a gallon ziploc...and fill it with healthy stuff (I need to watch my sugar/carbs). That way I have stuff at work for lunch that's healthy and leftovers for the way home (which is when I tend to be starving!) I packed one tonight with string cheese (lowfat mozarella) for some protein, natural almonds (just a few), a hard boiled egg (minus the yolk if your cholesterol is high), yoplait light smoothie (made with splenda) , baby carrots, cutup sweet peppers, granny smith applesauce (don't forget the spoon!) and a dt. A & W rootbeer (no caffeine)...can't totally quit the pop yet...and I also made some homemade (that way I control what's in it) bean soup to take to work with me.

Lean Cuisines, I also like, but they have a LOT of CARBS...I love the pizza one and the pastas...but some of them have 50 carbs in them! Stay away from the pizza, rice/pasta ones and they are much lower.

Sassy
04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
LOL Nope. I should have! I wanted one badly but didn't go.

Good job!

Sassy
04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
A lady I go to water aerobics class with also told me it was a good idea to eat some protein before carbs...

I told her I was also adding wheat germ or ground flax to light smoothies...she said that was a great idea!

JanaŽ
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I had a lean cuisine meal today for lunch. Some herb chicken and vegetables. It was really good, I was surprised. I love string cheese and hard boiled eggs, what a great idea.

Sassy
04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah, they aren't bad. The pasta ones are really good and the roasted veggie pizza...but unfortunately, some are really high carbs.

Sassy
04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Where's everyone else on this thread ???

BMF Bronco
04-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Eating

smalltowngrll
04-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah, they aren't bad. The pasta ones are really good and the roasted veggie pizza...but unfortunately, some are really high carbs.

Carbs aren't really that bad for you unless you are trying to lean down the last portion. Eaten in moderation, carbs are just fine. In fact, about 7 years ago, I lost 30 pounds on a low fat/low cal/pasta diet. No red meat, just good carbs.

When it comes down to it, calories in vs. calories out are what counts. You obviously want those calories divided up between protein/carbs and fat in the right proportions, but carbs are really not so bad.

If you really have a thng for a low carb diet, then they do have low carb lean cuisines and low carb Smart ones (I love those, too).

Sassy
04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
How many carbs are too many when you have high glucose?
How many should a "meal" be?

smalltowngrll
04-17-2007, 12:33 AM
How many carbs are too many when you have high glucose?
How many should a "meal" be?

Well, for a healthy person...carbs should be 45%-65% of calories from carbs (Complex carbohydrates are ideal). Protein should be 10%-35% of total calories, and fat should be limited to 20% to 35%. The fats should come from healthier sources such as nuts and olive, canola and nut oils. This is of your total calories in a single day.

smalltowngrll
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm so excited...I had a GREAT break through run this morning!

I really hate running on the treadmill, but I use it for short faster runs in order to increase speed. It helps me to gauge speed/distance better. So, I did two of those short, fast runs this last week...one on Thursday and one on Saturday. It mad a WORLD of difference in getting back out on the pavement!

I love those kind of morning workouts...makes me feel like I can conquer the world! Leaves me on cloud 9 all day! !Booya!

Sassy
04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Way to go STG!
I'm off on the bike again here in a few...

Sassy
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Dang bike...had a flat...filled it up...rode to the gas station by the time I got home it was flat again...

New tires! Blah, I really wanted to ride tonight.

RhymesayersDU
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Ugh. I need to start eating more during the day.

I just ate my weight in chicken and broccoli. Now, both were cooked healthy, so I don't feel too bad. But I got home and I was starving. Even if I'm eating good food, I want to get away from these stuff-your-face meals.

And my mom bought me ice cream bars with only 100 calories. Those will be a lifesaver and will hold me on sweets.

RhymesayersDU
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Wow, and now I realize why I stopped doing the FitDay journal deal. It is frustrating, not being able to find your food. But it is a useful tool.

I didn't know how many calories were burned when running.

Sassy
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow, and now I realize why I stopped doing the FitDay journal deal. It is frustrating, not being able to find your food. But it is a useful tool.

I didn't know how many calories were burned when running.

You can add whatever food to your fitday journal.
Just put the nutrition info from the back of whatever you eat onto "name your own" food.

You can be specific. It's easy!

P.S. Try sugar-free lifesaver popsicles! ;D

Sassy
04-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I bought a new ride today!
(My flat pissed me off...I could have just got a new tube! LOL! but I've thought about a new bike since last summer! The old bike pissed me off at 7 and by 9 I had a new ride! Ha! )
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/SSundheim/100_3049.jpg

Sassy
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Did everyone "quit" their diets already! ???

JanaŽ
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Nice bike! I never quit my diet, but I have blown it the past few days.

Sassy
04-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Jana! Although, I took a test ride last night and I"m not crazy about the seat...not very comfy! But Maybe I'm just not used to it...I'll try it for a bit and see if it gets better. If not, I may invest in one of those gel seat cushions? ANyone try those ???

It's ok...start over! You can do it. Just keep going!

BroncoBuff
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/SSundheim/100_3049.jpg

Sassy, is that vacuum cleaner for sale?

avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...

RhymesayersDU
04-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I finally decided kind of arbitrarily to get on the scale today. I weighed in at 258, a 7 pound decrease.

That makes me happy.

Sassy
04-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Sassy, is that vacuum cleaner for sale?

avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...avoid talking about diet...

LOL! Actually, the vacuum is my "spare" Ha!
Keep going...keep trying!

Old Dude
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Had a really rough week - very disrupted and pulled completely out of my routine. Ate lots of very evil food. Raging insomnia, too stressed out to exercise, yada, yada, yada.

At least I didn't gain anything,

213 and holding....

BMF Bronco
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM

I kind of took a hiatus while my daughter was here, didn't want to sacrifice my time with her just to go to the gym. However, we did go skiing, go on walks, rode our bikes, etc, all while having softball practice three times last week. Will get back in the gym next week.

Sassy
04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
My "willpower" is a blood test I have to take in a couple of weeks, so I have no choice but to keep going :(

BMF Bronco
04-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Good reason to!

Sassy
04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
It is...but it sucks!

cbs1177
04-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Was 215 now 207ish. Haven't changed diet any except don't have time to eat like I used to and I am on the go constantly. A word of encouragement came from one member. She said that since I been outside I have look liked I lost a couple of pounds. That made my day. Kept me encourage.

BroncoBuff
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Shad, I hate to tell you .... but bowling is not an aerobic exercise. :giggle:

Actually, I feel lucky that I am minus -10 pounds now (310). I must be doing something right because I haven't stuck to the diet all that well, but I've lost 3 pounds in the last 2+ weeks anyway. I thought that because recently I had a meat loaf dinner, and some other fairly big dinners (once about 3/4 of a grocery-store roasted chicken), that I must be losing ground. But I guess not.

Sassy ... I bought a bag of flaxseeds and also some 100% bran - not cereal, but the oatmeal-y powder-ish stuff on the baking aisle. So now my smoothies have:

1. 1% milk
2. one-sixth of a standard carton of nonfat yogurt (vanilla)
3. 1 banana
4. 1 fruit of the day (frozen strawberries blueberries raspberries or peaches)
5. 2-3 tbsp Wheat germ
6. 2-3 tbsp flaxseed
7. 2-3 tbsp pure bran
8. sometimes an egg
9. I'm thinking tufu might work ... it sounds gross, but it's not really. It would prolly be a better thickener than yogurt.

The smoothies are really good (although I have to add two Sweet-n-Low packets to the blueberry one). I am managing to get through most of the day on just one of these plus coffee - at least until mid-afternoon. I've also quit fast food altogether ... that has to be good (before this diet, I could almost say in my sleep: "4 tacos and a Jumbo Jack with cheese")

Sassy
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
If you want to cut down "fat" even more...the flax has a lot of fat...not sure about bran...More than the wheatgerm does. I have the ground flax...I think it tastes better.

Try eating small meals every 3-4 hours...cut down on hunger!

BroncoBuff
04-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow, fat? What have you gotten me into, Sassy? ;D

So how would I grind this flax? They are very small dark brown seeds.

Sassy
04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Read your labels ;D

LOL...it's good fat though.
Hmmm...good question.
Do you have a coffee bean grinder? That might work.

I also check the yogurt...a lot of sugar in yogurt.
One of the lower ones is Dannon light/natural? Vanilla.

BroncoBuff
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Could/should I substitute tofu for yogurt?

Sassy
04-23-2007, 05:48 PM
I've never tried tofu.
Personally, I like yogurt.
How can tofu make a "smooth" ie...LOL!

OregonBronco
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I've never tried tofu.
Personally, I like yogurt.
How can tofu make a "smooth" ie...LOL!

Tofu comes in a bunch of different hardnesses. I would think the soft kind would blend up pretty well. It also works well for scrambles. You scramble it basically like you would scramble eggs and add onion, peppers, etc.

I was a vegetarian for about 6 years and exposed myself to lots of foods I would not have tried normally. Of course that was before I discovered how much I really like beef, chicken, and bacon. :thumbsup:

Sassy
04-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Woohoo! 7.5 miles on my bike...not bad for leaving at 8 pm my time...I got home before dark! I didn't think I'd be able to go that long. Ha! 55 minutes....and part of that was avoiding running over people! ;D

Sassy
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Only 6 miles tonight...but it's been an "annoying" day :(

Old Dude
04-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Down to 211 now.

-44 lbs in 208 days (basically 7 months).

!Booya!

Sassy
04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow Old Dude! Awesome job!!!
I've only lost a couple of pounds but it's only been about two weeks..

Sassy
04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Hmmm...grilled steak kabobs (peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini) and a little bit of cottage cheese for supper...I also grilled some chicken breasts with creole seasoning for lunch tomorrow! ;D

OregonBronco
04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
So I bought the Audio CD of "Body for Life" after Med mentioned it earlier and I like what he has to say. I'm gonna give it a shot. But I'm too cheap to buy the Myoplex he was talking about so I'm using Slim-Fast shakes for the in-between meals.

Anyone else have any success with "Body for Life"?

Sassy
04-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Anyone got any good healthy recipes?

Sassy
04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
How's your training going STG?

I just rode 12 miles ... Yikes! ... the way back sucked...riding against a really nasty wind. It took me 45 minutes to get to Starbucks and an hour to get back! Oh well...time to run errands and finish the garden!

REB
04-29-2007, 06:07 PM

I just rode 12 miles ... Yikes! ... the way back sucked...riding against a really nasty wind. It took me 45 minutes to get to Starbucks and an hour to get back! Oh well...time to run errands and finish the garden!

12 miles? Good job Sass! Damn, you'll do anything for Starbucks wont ya? ;)

I started hitting the treadmill again. Did a half hr. on friday and had to stop when my surgically repaired ankle started getting sore. I hope to eventually get it up to an hr 3 times a week. Monday, wed. and fri.

Sassy
04-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Ha! I bought a bottle of water! But I really wanted a latte~
It's 54 blocks to starbucks from my house and another 54 back...plus, I rode an extra 12 blocks! Ha!
120 Blocks! ~

smalltowngrll
04-29-2007, 08:25 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! 5 Miles today!! :strong: :yayaya: :egbgb: :strong:

Sassy
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Woohoo STG! Way to go!
I've lost a couple of pounds! (Maybe 5 depending on the day ;D )

Old Dude
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Down to 211 now.

-44 lbs in 208 days (basically 7 months).

!Booya!

Ha! Down to 210, just in time (exactly 210 days). That's the -45 lb mark!

It would be nice if I could get under 200 by summer's end, but I'll be happy with anything under 205. That would be a 50 lb. drop in less than a year.

Five ten-pound sacks of potatos that I don't have to lug around anymore.

Sassy
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
That's great Old Dude!
I only started a couple of weeks ago, but it's getting easier!

smalltowngrll
04-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrats, OD!!! That is a great accomplishment!!! ^5

Old Dude
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Thing is that studies show that something like 75% of the people who undergo massive weight loss put it all back on (and then some) within 5 years after losing it.

So, for me, the weight loss is only the first part of the battle. It's got to be a permanent lifestyle change, which is why you've got to find something you can live with.

I'm pretty good with the routine that I've established, and I think I can keep it up indefinitely. Doesn't really feel like I'm dieting at this point. Just eating smarter.

smalltowngrll
05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Exactly! That's why I hate that term 'diet'. That indicates a temporary change until you achieve the wanted effect. Then, people go back to their old lifestyle and the weight comes right back. It has to be a lifestyle change for it to last! Very good outlook, OD!! ^5

REB
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Good job guys! I did another half hr on the treadmill yesterday. I kicked the speed up a little so I covered more distance in the same amount of time. And my ankle didn't bother me afterwards this time.

Sassy
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Way to go REB!!! Good job!!!

I did about 7.5 on the bike tonight...dang my butt is sore! LOL! Against the wind again on the way back. :(

My bike seat seems to be really uncomfortable compared to my old bike...am I not used to it yet or does anyone know the proper height? I'm 5'4" ??? I bought the bike at Scheels and they have an awesome bike dept/repair shop and the guy said it was the right height when I sat on the bike.

REB
05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Way to go REB!!! Good job!!!

I did about 7.5 on the bike tonight...dang my butt is sore! LOL! Against the wind again on the way back. :(

My bike seat seems to be really uncomfortable compared to my old bike...am I not used to it yet or does anyone know the proper height? I'm 5'4" ??? I bought the bike at Scheels and they have an awesome bike dept/repair shop and the guy said it was the right height when I sat on the bike.

Nice job Sass! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the height should be on a bike seat. Just duct tape a couch/throw pillow on there and you'll be good to go. You'll be riding in style :clown:

Sassy
05-02-2007, 12:47 AM

I'm not sure what the height should be on a bike seat. Just duct tape a couch/throw pillow on there and you'll be good to go. You'll be riding in style :clown:

Ha! Should I also hook a DVD player up to it! ;)

REB
05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Ha! Should I also hook a DVD player up to it! ;)

I bet bronco610 could make it happen :)

Sassy
05-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Ha! I could do it...not a very safe plan though!

heydensmom
05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Good job guys! On the other hand i'm 10 pounds from my goal....it's amazing what other side effects a divorce has.

REB
05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Although I was very tired this morning I mad myself get on the treadmill and did 35 min's. and just over a mile. That's the most I've done so far. I might get to an hr. sooner then I thought but boy I'm bushed. I should sleep good tonight. :)

BroncoBuff
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Good job guys! On the other hand i'm 10 pounds from my goal....

Ten pounds left? That's ALL?! :notworthy

I am happy to announce that I am now at 307, which is -13 pounds since that hospital scale moment on March 23.

I think 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week is realistic goal. I have 67 pounds left to lose .... so that's 30-33 weeks? Doesn't seem too long really.

REB
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM

I am happy to announce that I am now at 307, which is -13 pounds since that hospital scale moment on March 23.

I think 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week is realistic goal. I have 67 pounds left to lose .... so that's 30-33 weeks? Doesn't seem too long really.

Good job Buff :thumbsup:

Billy Clyde Puckett
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Good job all. I got kind of messed up on getting started due to some career turmoil and a bout with pneumonia. I only missed a week on the Nordic Trak. I do 30 minutes every morning with it set on the highest elevation and then propped up another 4 inches with a couple of 2X4's. It is much easier on my old joints than running. I had to replace a roller, which was a 5o cent piece that cost me $50. but it is worth it. I did buy (for the price of lunch) another full machine I can use for parts next time. Now I just need to get the diet going and get back on the weight machine.

Old Dude
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Ditto. Good job!

Sounds like you're on your way, and at some point, once you get going, it will start feeling like less of a project and more like a natural routine. The one nice thing about this is that you get some of your best results early on. The last 20 pounds or so are much harder, but by then you'll feel pretty good again.

REB
05-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Good job all. I got kind of messed up on getting started due to some career turmoil and a bout with pneumonia. I only missed a week on the Nordic Trak. I do 30 minutes every morning with it set on the highest elevation and then propped up another 4 inches with a couple of 2X4's. It is much easier on my old joints than running. I had to replace a roller, which was a 5o cent piece that cost me $50. but it is worth it. I did buy (for the price of lunch) another full machine I can use for parts next time. Now I just need to get the diet going and get back on the weight machine.

I hope your feeling better BG and the career stuff works out for ya! :thumbsup: :pray:

Billy Clyde Puckett
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I hope your feeling better BG and the career stuff works out for ya! :thumbsup: :pray:

Thanks. I didn't mean to whine. Things are fine with both the health and career. Just a couple of little bumps in the road that are well behind me now.

REB
05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I didn't mean to whine. Things are fine with both the health and career. Just a couple of little bumps in the road that are well behind me now.

Cool 8')

Pick Six
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I know I've lost weight, but I have no idea how much. All I know is that I look better and my clothes fit better. That's all I need to know. Scales are just too depressing...Ha!

Sassy
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I really don't want to go to the gym tonight...but I have to...yuck.
My class starts in a 1/2 hour and I have a ton to do :(

Old Dude
05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Down to 208. -47 lbs. in 218 days. Dropped another waist size and gotta get some new pants again. This is getting expensive.

Orange_Beard
05-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Down to 208. -47 lbs. in 218 days. Dropped another waist size and gotta get some new pants again. This is getting expensive.

Wow, congrads. I always have respect for people who change there lives for the better.

REB
05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats OD!

Hit the mill 2 days straight (Mon. and yesterday).

Will do it again tomorrow and fri.

Also this past weekend I bought a box of Nicorette gum so sometime soon I will be trying to gradually cut down on the smokes.

cbs1177
05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Well good news I am down to 202 from 215.

Old Dude
05-10-2007, 07:12 AM

-13 lbs! Excellent!

REB
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Good job man! :thumbsup:

smalltowngrll
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
So, here is the link to the race I'm training for! This weekend is a 7 miler and next weekend it's my 9 miler. I'll take Memorial Weekend and just do short runs then the first weekend in June will be a 14 miler. After that, I'll taper down until race day. Pacific Crest Half Marathon (http://www.racecenter.com/pacificcrest/runs/index.htm)

I'm defnitely not going for any specific times...this is more for the enjoyment and the feeling of accomplishing this race once again! I ran this two years ago, so I know the course. My goal for the year was to run two half marathons, so my next one will most likely be the Bend Marathon & Half Marathon. That one is in October. Last time I ran that one without much training. So, I know that I can do this even if I didn't have the long runs in! It's in my blood!! ;D :strong:

REB
05-11-2007, 04:46 PM
So, here is the link to the race I'm training for! This weekend is a 7 miler and next weekend it's my 9 miler. I'll take Memorial Weekend and just do short runs then the first weekend in June will be a 14 miler. After that, I'll taper down until race day. Pacific Crest Half Marathon (http://www.racecenter.com/pacificcrest/runs/index.htm)

I'm defnitely not going for any specific times...this is more for the enjoyment and the feeling of accomplishing this race once again! I ran this two years ago, so I know the course. My goal for the year was to run to half marathons, so my next one will most likely be the Bend Marathon & Half Marathon. That one is in October. Last time I ran that one without much training. So, I know that I can do this even if I didn't have the long runs in! It's in my blood!! ;D :strong:

You go girl! I'm having chest pains just thinking about that ;D

Billy Clyde Puckett
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM

I'm defnitely not going for any specific times...this is more for the enjoyment and the feeling of accomplishing this race once again! I ran this two years ago, so I know the course. My goal for the year was to run two half marathons, so my next one will most likely be the Bend Marathon & Half Marathon. That one is in October. Last time I ran that one without much training. So, I know that I can do this even if I didn't have the long runs in! It's in my blood!! ;D :strong:

You should form an Orange Mane group to run in next year's Bolder Boulder.

Old Dude
05-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Yes! Hit the magic number this morning. Down to 205, which is -50 lbs in 220 days!

(I'll probably gain 2 or 3 lbs by this afternoon, but the 205 mark means a lot to me.)

Sassy
05-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Woo hoo OD!!! Way to go!

Hey...I found some padded biking shorts at Target today ...
Just thought I'd share that ;D

REB
05-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes! Hit the magic number this morning. Down to 205, which is -50 lbs in 220 days!

(I'll probably gain 2 or 3 lbs by this afternoon, but the 205 mark means a lot to me.)

congrats OD! Way to go man :strong:

Sassy
05-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Was only going to do 5 miles on the bike tonight but forced myself and ended up doing 10.5!!! Woohoo! Dang, I hate the wind...and it always has to hit on the way back!

smalltowngrll
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Was only going to do 5 miles on the bike tonight but forced myself and ended up doing 10.5!!! Woohoo! Dang, I hate the wind...and it always has to hit on the way back!

It just means it was at your back on the way there! ;) At least that's always how it works out when I'm running! :thumbsup: Good job, Sass!!

Sassy
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
It just means it was at your back on the way there! ;) At least that's always how it works out when I'm running! :thumbsup: Good job, Sass!!

Thanks! How many miles did you hit running this weekend?

smalltowngrll
05-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks! How many miles did you hit running this weekend?

7 on Sunday. I'm doing about 26-30+ miles a week. This weekend will be 9 miles.

Sassy
05-15-2007, 11:25 PM
7 on Sunday. I'm doing about 26-30+ miles a week. This weekend will be 9 miles.

:thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm joining the downtwn YMCA on June 1 - it's just $99 for the whole summer, ZER0 signup. Basketball, volleyball, weights, pool, sauna, steam, tub, that'll help.

I should be at or under 300 by June 1 ... 260 is my Labor Day target. Is 40 pounds in 95 days too much?

Sassy
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
The Y soaked me for a year membership...because I didn't want to have them do an auto withdrawal...because on the card they would have had me sign there was no AMOUNT! (Thus, it seemed like I would be giving them permission to take whatever they wanted out of my account. ) However, if I paid for a year I got 10 percent off and they would take a check. It was a better deal anyway, just didn't feel like forking out almost $500 at the time.

Off to ride...if my knees can handle it...boy do they ache today!

BroncoBuff
05-18-2007, 02:47 AM

205!

Right on OD!

I'm just 100 pounds behind :(

REB
05-18-2007, 02:56 AM
I added dumbells to my workout on the treadmill. Figured I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

smalltowngrll
05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm joining the downtwn YMCA on June 1 - it's just $99 for the whole summer, ZER0 signup. Basketball, volleyball, weights, pool, sauna, steam, tub, that'll help.

I should be at or under 300 by June 1 ... 260 is my Labor Day target. Is 40 pounds in 95 days too much?

40 pounds in 95 days seems reasonable but might be pushing it a bit. That's about 13 1/2 weeks. You should aim for about 2-3 pounds a week in weight loss on average (some weeks you may lose nothing and others you may lose 5). Slow weight loss is the best way to retrain your body into a comfort zone with the new weight. So, with an average of 2-3 pounds a week your weight loss would be 26-40 pounds in 95 days. Maybe make your goal more like 33 pounds in 95 days?

Keep in mind also that in order to drop one pound of fat you have to burn 3500 more calories than what you take in.

Sassy
05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm at -9 at least in about 5 weeks. (Going by my scale...going by the doc's office it could be a little more...)
Mostly, I exercise more and eat a lot less carbs.
I cut out pasta and bread! Added more protein.

REB
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Yikes! When I started working out again a month ago I never weighed myself. I know I have "a bit" of a beer belly but my main goal was to get my lungs and heart in better shape. Well I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 229. I looked up my Weight height index and I should be 170 so I need to lose 60 lbs. Yikes! Wasn't expecting that. So I jumped back on the treadmill again today and plan on doing it 6 days a week instead of the 3 I've been doing.

Old Dude
05-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Down to 203 now. Based on the whole height weight index table, I'm within eight pounds of no longer being "officially overweight."

REB
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Down to 203 now. Based on the whole height weight index table, I'm within eight pounds of no longer being "officially overweight."

Nice job OD :thumbsup:

Old Dude
05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
The main thing is, REB, to just find something that works, and something you can live with and just stick with it.

Once you get some momentum going that way, then things just start taking care of themselves.

It's like the title of Joe Namath's biography:

Can't Wait to Get Up in the Morning 'Cause I Get Better Lookin' Every Day

(that might not be true for Joe Willie, anymore, but it's a nice thought anyway)

REB
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
The main thing is, REB, to just find something that works, and something you can live with and just stick with it.

Once you get some momentum going that way, then things just start taking care of themselves.

It's like the title of Joe Namath's biography:

Can't Wait to Get Up in the Morning 'Cause I Get Better Lookin' Every Day

(that might not be true for Joe Willie, anymore, but it's a nice thought anyway)

Sassy
05-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Anyone ever rode bike in a hailstorm? Not fun :(
I hurt my toe :(

REB
05-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Anyone ever rode bike in a hailstorm? Not fun :(
I hurt my toe :(

Doesn't sound like much fun to me Sass and I hope your toe feels better.

I worked out 4 days this pass week and will take tomorrow off. Starting mon. I hope to do 6 days a week mon.-sat. as long as my bad ankle can handle it. I also ordered these...

http://www.quitsmoking.com/ezquit.htm

and I have some nicorrette gum to help me begin the quitting process. I hope they help me.

Sassy
05-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks Reb...it does.
I was stupidly wearing flip flops when I rode last night...usually wear my skechers. Anyway, lightening, thunder and hail hit when I was 2 miles from home...and in the part of town I was riding in I didnt have shelter right away until I had already been riding in hail for a few blocks...OUCH! That stung.

Good luck with your non-smoking!

REB
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Reb...it does.
I was stupidly wearing flip flops when I rode last night...usually wear my skechers. Anyway, lightening, thunder and hail hit when I was 2 miles from home...and in the part of town I was riding in I didnt have shelter right away until I had already been riding in hail for a few blocks...OUCH! That stung.

Good luck with your non-smoking!

Thanx! I haven't quit yet. I'm working on gradually cutting down.

Sassy
05-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Biked and water aerobics last night...my knees are killing me again. It's got to be the bike seat???

On a side note...I didn't get hailed on! ;D

REB
05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Biked and water aerobics last night...my knees are killing me again. It's got to be the bike seat???

On a side note...I didn't get hailed on! ;D

Good job Sass! 8')

So far I'm on schedule to do 6 days this week. I worked out yesterday and today :)

Sassy
05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
GO REB!
It's been extremely windy here today (car was shaking when I was driving and I went to get gas and about blew away!) ...but if it calms down, I'll hit the bike trail...and listen to a little Redhawk baseball while I ride...

Sassy
05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Argh! Kind of stuck on my 7 lbs...but I don't think I've gained any.
Just been hard to ride bike with the weather and too much good food with the holiday weekend! :(

REB
05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I added ab work to my routine today. We have this contraption called an AB Swing. I call it the sex swing :wiggle: . I could really start to feel it in my lower stomach after about 30 of them.

smalltowngrll
05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
So, I start my four week intensive boot camp on Monday. I'm excited about that. This will be a first for me. I hear it's pretty intense and they push you pretty far, which is EXACTLY what I need.

Dropped 5 this week...I think it's due to stress, though. Not eating right, much, hardly at all. Ok, not good. No wonder I'm struggling in my runs. Got to get my head screwed back on straight. Needless to say, I'm not proudly saying I dropped 5 in less than a week. But, it'd be nice if it stayed off! :clown:

BroncoBuff
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
So, I start my four week intensive boot camp on Monday. I'm excited about that. This will be a first for me. I hear it's pretty intense and they push you pretty far, which is EXACTLY what I need.

Dropped 5 this week...I think it's due to stress, though. Not eating right, much, hardly at all. Ok, not good. No wonder I'm struggling in my runs. Got to get my head screwed back on straight. Needless to say, I'm not proudly saying I dropped 5 in less than a week. But, it'd be nice if it stayed off! :clown:

FIVE?! You told me that was too much in one week! ;D

What kind of boot camp ... to get ready for your cruise? I know there's plenty of food on those things, so be prepared. Running seems like such high impact though ...

Sassy
05-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Back to it! 11 miles on the bike tonight...and my knees will probably pay for it tomorrow...but it felt good!

BroncoBuff
05-30-2007, 05:47 AM

Eight more pounds? I thought 205 was the magic number ... you say 203 and I'm thinking it's time for a guilt-free KFC or T-Bone steak.
Eight more? When does it end, OD?! A stiff wind might cause you trouble soon ... ;D

Serious, congrats - you are a shining example.

Old Dude
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Eight more pounds? I thought 205 was the magic number ... you say 203 and I'm thinking it's time for a guilt-free KFC or T-Bone steak.
Eight more? When does it end, OD?! A stiff wind might cause you trouble soon ... ;D

Serious, congrats - you are a shining example.

Thanks.

I didn't think I'd break the 205 barrier quite this fast. (I'm actually at 202 right now.) I don't feel much urgency at this point, and I already have "cheated" with a big dinner here or there, but my daily routine has turned into more or less of a habit. There's no reason to change it, so I'm just going to stay with it and see what happens. The rate of weight loss should slow down from here on out anyway.

I'll be rooting for the rest of you folks!

smalltowngrll
05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok, it's now official. There is no backing out, now! Just registered for my race...three weeks from Saturday! Ugh, now I'm all nervous. And, I've run this race before. So, if anyone is in the neighborhood on the 23rd of June and wants to come cheer me on, I'll need all the cheers anywhere from mile 9 through 12! That's the hardest portion. That's where the sun begins to beat down on you and you feel like you are about to just roll over and die! Ha!

REB
05-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok, it's now official. There is no backing out, now! Just registered for my race...three weeks from Saturday! Ugh, now I'm all nervous. And, I've run this race before. So, if anyone is in the neighborhood on the 23rd of June and wants to come cheer me on, I'll need all the cheers anywhere from mile 9 through 12! That's the hardest portion. That's where the sun begins to beat down on you and you feel like you are about to just roll over and die! Ha!

Good luck stg! :kiss: :thumbsup:

JanaŽ
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow STG.. you truly are an inspiration. All of you are. OD with all your weight loss, Sassy with your biking 11 miles, STG with your boot camps and races, and REB with your determination.. I need to get in gear! I haven't lost anything yet.. but I haven't really stuck to it either. I have cut Starbucks out of my routine, and only have it once every few weeks, if even that, and that's a good thing. I stopped drinking soda for the most part and substituted it for Vitamin Water. I don't know if that's much better since it has a lot of sugar in it, but I know it's better than soda! I bought an Ab Lounge and have been using it almost every day for a few weeks. I hope it produces results!

REB
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Wow STG.. you truly are an inspiration. All of you are. OD with all your weight loss, Sassy with your biking 11 miles, STG with your boot camps and races, and REB with your determination.. I need to get in gear! I haven't lost anything yet.. but I haven't really stuck to it either. I have cut Starbucks out of my routine, and only have it once every few weeks, if even that, and that's a good thing. I stopped drinking soda for the most part and substituted it for Vitamin Water. I don't know if that's much better since it has a lot of sugar in it, but I know it's better than soda! I bought an Ab Lounge and have been using it almost every day for a few weeks. I hope it produces results!

:thumbs:

Billy Clyde Puckett
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok - I admit I wimped out on you guys for a while but I am on my way now. I have been doing the Nordic Trak almost every day for over three years when I am home and have added the weight machine back in this week and started the diet. Heart, Blood Pressure and Colesterol are in good shape. Just need to get rid of the gut.

Doctor says I need to lose 32. I know the first 10 will come off easy, but then it will get harder.

Congrats to all who have a big head start on me.

REB
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanx BG and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I'm still working on it. I know it's going to take some time so I just take one day at a time.

Sassy
05-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Awesome everyone!
...and STG...Best of Luck in your marathon!

I hit the bike tonight for 10 miles...and have also been doing water aerobics class every M, W, F.

P.S, I hate the wind...and padded bike shorts rock ;D

REB
05-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Awesome everyone!
...and STG...Best of Luck in your marathon!

I hit the bike tonight for 10 miles...and have also been doing water aerobics class every M, W, F.

P.S, I hate the wind...and padded bike shorts rock ;D

Requiem
06-01-2007, 12:26 AM
It's been raining here in South Dakota the past few days, (seriously like 5 inches in a coupld days) so I haven't been able to ride my bike - got a new one for the summer.

As soon as it clears up, I'm going to just ride for an hour or so a day - ride to softball (a couple miles away) on Wednesday's and probably even ride bike to work. My goal is around 10-20 pounds this summer, I need to get back into the shape I was when I played sports.

Tonight will be my last pop and the last of the junk food.

Here's to a healthy three months, and hopefully beyond!

BroncoBuff
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
JEEPERS!!!

My first weigh-in in weeks, and the downtown Y scale says "302." That's 18 pounds in 56 days!!!

(Watch out Old Dude, I'm just 100 behind!)

REB
06-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Nice job guys! :thumbsup:

Old Dude
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM
JEEPERS!!!

That's 18 pounds in 56 days!!!

Excellent! :strong:

Sassy
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
JEEPERS!!!

My first weigh-in in weeks, and the downtown Y scale says "302." That's 18 pounds in 56 days!!!

Woohoo! Way to go!!

I think I've only lost 1 more pound...but I got in ten miles on the bike (which lately isn't easy due to weather and it's suppose to rain tomorrow and start again Monday :( ) and I went to the gym tonight!

Sassy
06-02-2007, 08:45 AM
1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days...time for me to get super serious (I have actually been better at the exercising part...but have cut bread/pasta pretty much.)

I'm down about 10 lbs. since April 15th.

REB
06-03-2007, 11:48 AM
1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days...time for me to get super serious (I have actually been better at the exercising part...but have cut bread/pasta pretty much.)

I'm down about 10 lbs. since April 15th.

Way to go Sass :thumbsup:

Sassy
06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Reb...it's been slow but I'm getting there!

smalltowngrll
06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
The latest update!

10 miles yesterday. It wasn't a very pretty run as I got sick halfway through. Did my thing and then finished the run...a bit slower than I did the first half, though. It's done, none the less. It's the first time I've ever had a run where I got sick from it. Anyway, I know I'll be able to finish the run, so I'll probably just do a 8-9 miler next week and then 6 the week before the race.

Eating: I've lost my appetite, so it's been a little tough. Probably a reason I was sick yesterday. Anyway, I've no appetite for crappy food at all, so that's good. I just have to get some sort of an appetite for the good foods, which I've stocked my frig full of.

Results: Thus far I'm only down 8 pounds. It's frustrating when I look at the scale because the results aren't there. But, the cool thing is that I've dropped 2 sizes and I can definitely tell the difference in muscle strength.

I started my Boot Camp today and I have to say, IT KICKED MY ASS!! I'm sore, already! Yikes, I have a feeling that I won't be walking very well tomorrow. Anyway, I'm really having a blast with all of this and my focus is shifting. Dare I say that I'm actually not interested in drinking much alcohol any longer!? It makes a HUGE difference in how I feel when I'm not drinking.

Sassy
06-05-2007, 11:18 PM
But the 2 sizes is the best part! Woohoo! Way to go!
Are you really sore today?

I put 17 miles on the bike today...I have a feeling I am going to pay tomorrow!

smalltowngrll
06-05-2007, 11:35 PM
But the 2 sizes is the best part! Woohoo! Way to go!
Are you really sore today?

I put 17 miles on the bike today...I have a feeling I am going to pay tomorrow!

Am I sore? I didn't realize that the ass has so many muscles!! Damn, it hurts!! ROFL!

Yes, the two sizes is the best part!!!

REB
06-06-2007, 12:49 PM
You go girls! :thumbsup:

Sassy
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
You go girls! :thumbsup:

Thanks Reb...just the gym and hot tub for me today...The wind is gusting up to 30 mph...no way am I attempting the bike today.

BroncoBuff
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
STG - that's great. I've always heard that muscle is heavier than fat of course ... so the way your clothes fit might be a better indicator.

What is this boot camp? To get ready for the guilt-free buffet on the cruise? ?

smalltowngrll
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
STG - that's great. I've always heard that muscle is heavier than fat of course ... so the way your clothes fit might be a better indicator.

What is this boot camp? To get ready for the guilt-free buffet on the cruise? ?

Nooo, but it sure will help! ;D

I did the boot camp to switch up my training and to get a little bit more push. It's funny how I can get a few more reps in just by someone else telling me to keep going. I give up sooner than my muscles really do.

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Great job everyone!!!!

My good news is that I have lost 12 pounds in two weeks. I know that is too fast, but that is the way it always works for me. The next twenty will probably take six months. Staying with a low carb diet and keeping the workout routine on track.

My bad news is that I tweaked my back a little so I am off the weight machine for a bit till it feels better. Good news is that it is a strained muscle rather than a spine related issue so it won't be long.

REB
06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Great job everyone!!!!

My good news is that I have lost 12 pounds in two weeks. I know that is too fast, but that is the way it always works for me. The next twenty will probably take six months. Staying with a low carb diet and keeping the workout routine on track.

My bad news is that I tweaked my back a little so I am off the weight machine for a bit till it feels better. Good news is that it is a strained muscle rather than a spine related issue so it won't be long.

Hope your back heals up quickly BG

I've worked out my abs, arms and did cardio the last 4 days straight. I'm taking the weekend off and getting back to it Mon. morning.

heydensmom
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Everyone is doing so great!!! I'm so proud of you all. I on the other hand are till on the divorce diet. I don't feel like eating, which isn't good, I know, but my roomie cooks me dinner every night. I'm 2 pounds from my goal weight, which is good.. And did buy size 10 pants at the gap saturday....better yet they were 4.97 ;D

Sassy
06-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Everyone is doing so great!!! I'm so proud of you all. I on the other hand are till on the divorce diet. I don't feel like eating, which isn't good, I know, but my roomie cooks me dinner every night. I'm 2 pounds from my goal weight, which is good.. And did buy size 10 pants at the gap saturday....better yet they were 4.97 ;D

That's too funny about the 4.97 pants! I bought a pair of my favorite skinny levi's today (only a size smaller! ;D ) ...originally $44 for $8 on clearance! *(I would have bought a couple more but they only had the one pair left) Ha! SO much for 200-400 jeans! LOL!

*but then I went to Office Max and bought a new PC ;D

smalltowngrll
06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
That's too funny about the 4.97 pants! I bought a pair of my favorite skinny levi's today...originally $44 for $8 on clearance! *(I would have bought a couple more but they only had the one pair left) Ha! SO much for 200-400 jeans! LOL!

*but then I went to Office Max and bought a new PC ;D

Wooohooooo!! :thumbs:

Sassy
06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Wooohooooo!! :thumbs:

Yep! i was pretty excited about both!
I'm hoping to get a bike ride in as I didn't last night due to POURING rain and GUSTY winds. It's still blowing out there pretty good though :( I blew off any type of exercise yesterday.

Oh yeah...I bought two new pairs of shorts a few weeks ago...since they still have the tags on them I may just have to return them. They're too big! :strong:

BroncoBuff
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Losing weight is losing weight I guess!

I had a bad breakup in '96 and I over-ate, ballooned to 255. I have to laugh now - 10 years later and that's my goal-weight.

Sassy, when I'm doing sets at the Y lately and I'm ready to quit, I think of that bike of yours in the garage (and the vacuum cleaner!) I actually laugh for a moment! ROFL! But seriously, the number of miles you manage on that thing is impressive as hell. To me at least.

I wanna hear more about stg's training ... are u a marathoner? I've never heard about that.

smalltowngrll
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Marathoner, I am not. I have no desire to do a full marathon. Those things tear your body up. I may do one some day, but that would be just so I could say I did one. I love the half-marathon distance. It's a challange, but it doesn't kill you.

My training is all but complete. The race is in two weeks and there's not much I can do to get any better now. The good thing about a half-marathon is that once you've trained for one, you can easily pick back up with the base you've already set. I really slacked over the winter (winters are always so difficult for me to be consistent with my workouts) and put on some weight and my cardio and muscle decreased significantly. My problem usually comes in when I start back into my training. I think I should be at the same level as where I left off. Well, it doesn't work that way. But, it's typically easier to get back to it since I've already created that base. My longest run this training was 10 miles last weekend. I did another 7 miles today and will do 7 miles next weekend before the race. It's all up to the endorphins at this point. My last half marathon I didn't train for at all and only did it with a 5 mile base (5 miles being my longest run in the weeks leading up to that race).

Now, to address the comment on "losing weight is losing weight". Not all weight loss is GOOD weight loss. For instance, if you are not eating correctly, your body will start to burn muscle instead of fat. You'll drop weight on the scale, but you won't be dropping the proper kind of weight. That's why you don't want to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a week. Because, after that, you are losing muscle not fat (unless one is obese and has reduced their normal caloric intake significantly). I've been guilty of the whole starvation thing myself. Some instances on purpose, some instances due to circumstances.

Also, another great suggestion for buring fat, drink a LOT of water. Water helps flush your system out of the toxins that are created from your body burning the fat. When you workout, you deplete your muscles of glycogen. The best way for glycogen to get back into the muscles is through binding with water.

Sassy
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I've found that I"m eating a lot more protein...meat, nuts, cheese...with skipping more carbs, I'm hungry...but I'm still keeping the weight off because I'm working out more. I find that I'm also always hungry after a workout.

Stupid bike btw...the kickstand fell off...AGAIN! Twice since I bought it so I'm calling Scheels to see what they can do (and they reattached it two weeks ago! They also put the lock on and it fell off and is missing...I'm pissed about that!) However, I do like the "bike" itself.

Sassy
06-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah! 12 lbs. in 7 weeks!
Not too shabby! ;D
It's coming off slowly...but I'm getting there!

BroncoBuff
06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
I had an 'adventure' at the Downtown Seattle YMCA today.

I finished my workout and climbed into the big whirlpool. The only guy in there was a Y employee who just got off work. Bald and doughy white with a "menacing" Van Dyke beard. We began talking, but every few minutes I start slowly floating up to the top. So I ask him, "what's with this hot tub? I'm floating here."

He must not have known who he was dealing with, because he gets this righteous smirk on his face and says, "that just means you have a high body fat index." Then he smirked again. It was the second smirk that did it. I couldn't sit there and absorb that kind of verbal onslaught, so I grab my towel on the ledge of the tub, briskly force it underwater to drench it, and brought it out with a really powerful roundhouse fastball. The wet towel smashed square into his face with a loud, percussive echo, and the loose end spun around his head and reverberated with a second snap to his forehead. "AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!", I screamed as I bolted outta the tub, grabbing my clothes with both hands as water flew off me and I darted for the lockerroom exit.

"Stop!" the pasty man screamed through a mouthful of water as he sloshed out of the tub. He was a good four or five seconds behind me, but I wasn't satisfied. Bald fools with Van Dyke beards bent on vengeance will stop at nothing, so I needed to get further ahead of him. I darted into the stairwell and ran down two flights to the third floor. As I pulled on my pants and shoes in the stairwell, I realized this situation called for a series of desperate maneuvers. So I open the door and walked into the third floor office space, intending to cross over to the stairwell on the opposite end of the building. What I saw there nearly caused me to rethink that maneuver. The YMCA had apparently run out of the free sack lunches they hand out to homeless people every Monday. Not wanting to disappoint, they were passing out tabs of blotter acid to the last dozen or so homeless people in line. As I sped-walked past them, I heard one say, "thank you so much." Thank you indeed, I thought. I recognized that acid. With the light blue Chinese fighting dragon printed on it. Those poor bastards will rue the day they ever heard about the downtown YMCA. Free lunch, my ass.

As I slipped into the stairwell on the far side of the floor and bounded down toward the second, I knew my lead on Pasty Van Dyke still wasn't safe. It was then that I spotted something that would fulfill a basic human need of mine I'd been neglecting. The second floor was the laundry, and I was walking right past a very tall stack of freshly laundered white towels. The good kind - with the rough texture - just right for exfoliation. 'I've come this far,' I thought. So without missing a step, I splayed out my right hand as wide as it would go and plunged it into the warm dry stack. I came away with a good eight or ten, squeezed tight, and smoothly rounded the final stairwell toward the ground floor. I needed to get out of the building at once.

When I burst out the street-level door, a bolt of cold slapped my still wet body as I raced toward the intersection of 4th and Madison. I couldn't slow down, the stakes were far too high. I bolted directly into the intersection on a dead run, kiddy-corner northeast toward the Library. It was probably the loose ends of all those white towels flapping in the breeze behind me, because traffic stopped on a dime as I ran. Those towels saved the downtown commuters a nasty snarl at rush hour.

I raced into the lower level entrance - and once inside, the knowledge that this Library is Tredici's favorite building in town quieted me considerably, and I began to feel confident I had lost Pasty. Still, I turned back on the double - toward the corner of the ground floor that gave me the best view of the Y. The Library is made entirely of glass, but the aftennoon sun cast a reflection on its outside, rendering me invisible. I arrived and stood there for a moment, panting and dripping. Sure enough, about three seconds later, out ran Pasty Van Dyke from the main entrance under the canopy. He was stark naked, save for the towel round his waist he clutched tightly with one hand at his hip. With the other hand, he gestured wildly to the hurriedly assembled phalanx of armed YMCA security personnel, pointing red-faced in every direction except at the library. Dumb bastard, I thought. Any fool can see the Library would be the best hideout in a situation like this. I watched him screaming in vain, and was able to make out a few words. "A big, fat bastard," he yelled. He had me there. At a conspicuous 6'6" and 302 pounds, my visits to the downtown Y might be over, I thought, eyes on the floor as I slowly plodded toward the escalator and up to the 5th street exit.

As I ascended, one of the smartly placed monitors overhead happened to be showing, on a blind stroke of luck, an interview with the late, great Hunter S. Thompson. "Eureka!", I thought, admiring his wardrobe. He had on an old-timer's fishing hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses. That's it! I have hats and sunglasses! My membership is saved ... I'll just choose the appropriate combination of hat and glasses, and calmly saunter into the Y this Wednesday. If Pasty Van Dyke has anything to say, I'll go on the offensive: "YOU DUMB BASTARD," I'll scream, "I'VE BEEN IN DJAKARTA, INDONESIA THE LAST THREE WEEKS BREAKING UP AN AL-QUAEDA TERROR CELL! I just got back last night ... is this all the thanks I get for KEEPING THE HOMELAND SAFE?!" He'll be on his heels in two seconds flat. Probably get an apology too.

I'll get back to you. Right now I have to exfoliate.

Sassy
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Ha! You're cracking me up!

RhymesayersDU
06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
As of the 7th, I'm down to 243, from 260.

Sassy
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Great job!!!

REB
06-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I got the best workout in today since I started working out again nearly 2 months ago. I did arms, squats, pushups, situps, treadmill and then after I cooled down about 20 minutes I went for a half hr. bike ride around my development. I activated my awesome and it felt damn good :)

The bike riding was very cool. I use to love to ride my bike but got away from it so it was great to get back on it again. Only problem was my butt hurtin. Sassy knows about that :)

Old Dude
06-13-2007, 04:42 PM

:notworthy

Great job!

I am down to 199 and .... DAMN ... I am looking so good, I'm starting to turn myself on.

:olddude:

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Great job everyone!!!

Old Dude it won't be long before you buy that convertible and all the young girls will whistle at you as you drive down the street.

REB
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Nice work man! :thumbsup:

REB
06-13-2007, 05:13 PM
:notworthy

Great job!

I am down to 199 and .... DAMN ... I am looking so good, I'm starting to turn myself on.

:olddude:

LOL Nice work OD! :thumbsup:

RhymesayersDU
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everybody.

Even more reason to celebrate. I was looking back in this thread, and my calender here at home where I mark weight and stuff. I actually started at 265, not 260, and am now down to 243. A cool 22 pounds!

I'm quite proud of myself, to say the least. But I really need to focus more on running and ab stuff. For the most part, I've stuck to eating pretty well and lifting weights, but to get to the next level, cardio is going to have to be a commitment.

And LOL @ Old Dude. You're too sexy for this message board!

REB
06-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I did squats, pushups, abs, treadmill and bike riding again this morning. Phew, I'm beat

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I had an 'adventure' at the Downtown Seattle YMCA today.

I finished my workout and climbed into the big whirlpool. The only guy in there was a Y employee who just got off work. Bald and doughy white with a "menacing" Van Dyke beard. We began talking, but every few minutes I start slowly floating up to the top. So I ask him, "what's with this hot tub? I'm floating here."

He must not have known who he was dealing with, because he gets this righteous smirk on his face and says, "that just means you have a high body fat index." Then he smirked again. It was the second smirk that did it. I couldn't sit there and absorb that kind of verbal onslaught, so I grab my towel on the ledge of the tub, briskly force it underwater to drench it, and brought it out with a really powerful roundhouse fastball. The wet towel smashed square into his face with a loud, percussive echo, and the loose end spun around his head and reverberated with a second snap to his forehead. "AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!", I screamed as I bolted outta the tub, grabbing my clothes with both hands as water flew off me and I darted for the lockerroom exit.

"Stop!" the pasty man screamed through a mouthful of water as he sloshed out of the tub. He was a good four or five seconds behind me, but I wasn't satisfied. Bald fools with Van Dyke beards bent on vengeance will stop at nothing, so I needed to get further ahead of him. I darted into the stairwell and ran down two flights to the third floor. As I pulled on my pants and shoes in the stairwell, I realized this situation called for a series of desperate maneuvers. So I open the door and walked into the third floor office space, intending to cross over to the stairwell on the opposite end of the building. What I saw there nearly caused me to rethink that maneuver. The YMCA had apparently run out of the free sack lunches they hand out to homeless people every Monday. Not wanting to disappoint, they were passing out tabs of blotter acid to the last dozen or so homeless people in line. As I sped-walked past them, I heard one say, "thank you so much." Thank you indeed, I thought. I recognized that acid. With the light blue Chinese fighting dragon printed on it. Those poor bastards will rue the day they ever heard about the downtown YMCA. Free lunch, my ass.

As I slipped into the stairwell on the far side of the floor and bounded down toward the second, I knew my lead on Pasty Van Dyke still wasn't safe. It was then that I spotted something that would fulfill a basic human need of mine I'd been neglecting. The second floor was the laundry, and I was walking right past a very tall stack of freshly laundered white towels. The good kind - with the rough texture - just right for exfoliation. 'I've come this far,' I thought. So without missing a step, I splayed out my right hand as wide as it would go and plunged it into the warm dry stack. I came away with a good eight or ten, squeezed tight, and smoothly rounded the final stairwell toward the ground floor. I needed to get out of the building at once.

When I burst out the street-level door, a bolt of cold slapped my still wet body as I raced toward the intersection of 4th and Madison. I couldn't slow down, the stakes were far too high. I bolted directly into the intersection on a dead run, kiddy-corner northeast toward the Library. It was probably the loose ends of all those white towels flapping in the breeze behind me, because traffic stopped on a dime as I ran. Those towels saved the downtown commuters a nasty snarl at rush hour.

I raced into the lower level entrance - and once inside, the knowledge that this Library is Tredici's favorite building in town quieted me considerably, and I began to feel confident I had lost Pasty. Still, I turned back on the double - toward the corner of the ground floor that gave me the best view of the Y. The Library is made entirely of glass, but the aftennoon sun cast a reflection on its outside, rendering me invisible. I arrived and stood there for a moment, panting and dripping. Sure enough, about three seconds later, out ran Pasty Van Dyke from the main entrance under the canopy. He was stark naked, save for the towel round his waist he clutched tightly with one hand at his hip. With the other hand, he gestured wildly to the hurriedly assembled phalanx of armed YMCA security personnel, pointing red-faced in every direction except at the library. Dumb bastard, I thought. Any fool can see the Library would be the best hideout in a situation like this. I watched him screaming in vain, and was able to make out a few words. "A big, fat bastard," he yelled. He had me there. At a conspicuous 6'6" and 302 pounds, my visits to the downtown Y might be over, I thought, eyes on the floor as I slowly plodded toward the escalator and up to the 5th street exit.

As I ascended, one of the smartly placed monitors overhead happened to be showing, on a blind stroke of luck, an interview with the late, great Hunter S. Thompson. "Eureka!", I thought, admiring his wardrobe. He had on an old-timer's fishing hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses. That's it! I have hats and sunglasses! My membership is saved ... I'll just choose the appropriate combination of hat and glasses, and calmly saunter into the Y this Wednesday. If Pasty Van Dyke has anything to say, I'll go on the offensive: "YOU DUMB BASTARD," I'll scream, "I'VE BEEN IN DJAKARTA, INDONESIA THE LAST THREE WEEKS BREAKING UP AN AL-QUAEDA TERROR CELL! I just got back last night ... is this all the thanks I get for KEEPING THE HOMELAND SAFE?!" He'll be on his heels in two seconds flat. Probably get an apology too.

I'll get back to you. Right now I have to exfoliate.

Ha ha ha! :rofl:

Is this original material, Buff?

For a minute there I thought I was reading Hunter S. Thompson. :thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, friend!

It was a mini-homage to Hunter, yes. :thanku:

Sassy
06-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Woohoo! I can ride bike again...no rain at the moment (although it's in the forecast)...I got five miles in before I died...of course, that could be from the humidity or because I haven't touched the bike for three days due to pouring rain! But it was a tough ride.

Sassy
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Keep it up everyone!!! Great work!

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Good Work all.

13.5 down 18.5 to go. Losses slowed this week as expected. I will probably need to break my routine in some way in a week or so to get over the plateau. Should be able to get back on teh weight machine next week - maybe that's what I need.

REB
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm taking today off. The last two days done killed me. :) Adding the bike with squats and pushups is rough :)

Sassy
06-15-2007, 11:15 PM
I added an additional 10.2 miles today to my five this am! Woohoo!
Hey, I bought a pedometer from Target today for a buck...from about 5 pm until 10 pm I took 14,713 steps! ;D Not sure how many miles walked that is! LOL!

REB
06-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I added an additional 10.2 miles today to my five this am! Woohoo!
Hey, I bought a pedometer from Target today for a buck...from about 5 pm until 10 pm I took 14,713 steps! ;D Not sure how many miles walked that is! LOL!

How long does it take you to ride that far. Just curious because I've been riding for a half hr at a time but I'm not sure how far that is. I'll have to get me an odometer for my bike. We just ordered a stationary bike for when it's too humid out and for winter time. It's got all the bells and whistles :)

Sassy
06-16-2007, 11:45 AM
The 10.2 last night took me an hour and five minutes.
It varies depending on the wind...and how many people are on the sidewalk! ;D (I love riding down Broadway but there are a ton of little shops and usually people everywhere! So that tends to slow me down.) Last night, I would say was about average. I've taken my car that path though...and a block is approx. 1/10 of a mile. About 10 blocks in a mile.

REB
06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
The 10.2 last night took me an hour and five minutes.
It varies depending on the wind...and how many people are on the sidewalk! ;D (I love riding down Broadway but there are a ton of little shops and usually people everywhere! So that tends to slow me down.) Last night, I would say was about average. I've taken my car that path though...and a block is approx. 1/10 of a mile. About 10 blocks in a mile.

Ok cool. Thanx!