PDA

View Full Version : The OrangeMane WEIGHT LOSS Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

~Crash~
02-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Blood sodium levels are usually between 135 - 147 mEq / L. If after a high sodium meal you restrict your fluid levels your body will natually "steal" h20 from surrounding cells (mainly muscle tissue). Even if you restrict h20 for the short term your body will go into a mild state of dehydration until you "give in" and replenish it's supply.

Unless I'm totally missing something (always possible) that one seems very counter productive.

this would screw with your liver and then your body will want to store fat . inslen (SP)

yerner
02-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Now if you really want to lose weight and don't mind dabbing in the grey area of life...well... here you go:

Cycle a stack of 100 mcg of Clenbuterol and 25 mcg of T3 (4-6 weeks of Clen followed by 3 weeks of t3)

15 mg of yohimbine (split over 3 times a day)

10 mg of novaldex per day (to lower estrogen levels and protect A2 androgenic receptor activity)

Add 50mg a week of oxandralone to maintain muscle mass

and finally the glue that makes the entire thing really work... 2IU per day of HGH.

follow the above and you will drop 50+ lbs in about 6-8 weeks... Keep it up for too long and the heart attack that insues will take the rest off.

Oddly enough, I'm up for this. Any suggestion on where I could collect these items?

Jesterhole
02-18-2008, 01:06 AM
I dropped 30-40 pounds a few years ago by two simple changes in my life. I bought an exercise machine (and started using it!), and cut out most of the junk food. It's so simple.

I use my bowflex for about a half hour, 3 times a week, and I can't tell you how much of a difference that makes. It's all about having and maintaining muscle...the more you have, the more calories you burn every day, no matter what.

And just be conscious of what you eat. If you have pizza one night...eat a lean cuisine the next night. Think of your calorie intake on a weekly basis, instead of daily, and allow yourself room to enjoy the kinds of food we all love, but in moderation.

~Crash~
02-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I have a hard time not eating like royalty. That's the hardest obstacle I've come up against. I like prime rib, NY cuts, baked potatoes and corn with butter for dinner, pork chops with dressing and fried potatoes, fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy, fried catfish with fried potatoes and peas, butter on my muffin with three eggs over easy for breakfast. I still exercise the same way, but my belly barely moves. Salad? Ok, I can handle that, but it dang near kills me to do that without Marie's bleu cheese.

I figure for quality of life I'll have to walk more, lift more, do something, because it's really hurting me to not eat as well. I guess I'll have to find some more time for burning calories, because it's easier to find that than give up good food. It's really irritating to me to stop indulging. Summer is coming up so that means BBQ drumsticks, some teriyaki chicken, certainly baked potatoes, and what's a baked potato without butter? Jeez, I'm tired of diets. I'm gonna have to exercise more. I think that's the best bet. I'm gonna have to run hills again, because eating like a rabbit is really irritating me.

I dont think you have to worrie about trans fats were ever you live but here in the usa we do if you want to lose wieght it starts with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

and ends with no sugar or corn syrup in the first 5 igrediets

16slayer24
02-18-2008, 01:12 AM
hey i lost 130 pounds in 1 day called it divorce ;)

SouthStndJunkie
02-18-2008, 01:14 AM
hey i lost 130 pounds in 1 day called it divorce ;)

That is funny.

TheDave
02-18-2008, 01:27 AM
this would screw with your liver and then your body will want to store fat . inslen (SP)

That's only in the case of extreme dehydration... Something like this would have a VERY negligble effect on your insulin levels.

Los Broncos
02-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Speaking of losing weight, i need to drop some.

I can start by not hitting the hippie lettuce.

And starting exercising more and eat more veggies.

~Crash~
02-18-2008, 01:56 AM
to eat like I just typed in oh 20 words is darn hard you cannot eat regular peanut butter because it is full of sugar . all our food is full of sugar heck one brand of mustard geens has sugar listed second in it's ingredents then watter unless you read the lable you would think mustar greens would be good for you .

staples can get you in trouble look up a low ash diet table this will tell you what foods will Keep you full of energy and will not release all its sugars all at once . when you gain wieght it is the first onset of diabeites (SP) and your body is inflamed wieght gain.....

by eating like a person that is dibetic and walking the weight sould come off .

the Gi diet will also help because this way you do not spike your sugar level and her in america we are making our selfs into type 2 diabetics buy all the sugar highs we keep our selfs on .

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/images/top_banner.jpg

I have been trying to wane myself of sugar for a mounth I am there now I did not want to throw away good food but now the closet is cleared of all sugar food . and trans fats and trust me that is hard to do . but strangly I am how not crazing and I am now sure the weight will come off.

cutthemdown
02-18-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm dumping lbs as well because since I started playing music I couldn't stand seeing pictures of myself and my 20 yr reunion is this summer so what the hell.

I've had good results with cardio in the morning for like 15 minutes before I eat breakfast. Then I eat a small 300 calorie breakfast and take a 30 minute walk.

Lunch I try to eat like 600 calories, something low in fat.

Around 3 p.m maybe small snack like a granola bar 150 calories

then 6 p.m like an 800 calorie dinner, usually chicken or fish.

Things to totally not eat.

1-soda
2-white bread (eat only wheat)
3-fried foods
4-red meat
5-candy
6-ice cream etc

then the killer try to cut down or avoid alcohol.

Then the part I hate, you have to lift weights 3 times a week. I don't do much but if you don't build muscle you will lose muscle when you diet and eventually hit a wall. Without adding muscle you won't get all the way to your goal of a low body fat % and a high metabolism.

I just use dumbbells and a curling bar, lunges and then crunches but the crunches ive been sort of avoiding until I get in better shape. They kill me right now I've gotten so soft I couldn't do the things I liked to like scuba dive, hike, fish etc. It's working out pretty good I dropped 20 pounds and took 2 inches off my waist already.

~Crash~
02-18-2008, 02:47 AM
That's only in the case of extreme dehydration... Something like this would have a VERY negligble effect on your insulin levels.

You say that and you are right about the 30 minets . but if a person does not drink watter and drinks sodas that will mess with your liver and cause you body to store fat at all cost . if your urin is dark plan on storing fat simple as that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chaz
02-18-2008, 03:01 AM
wow, i won't even bother adding to this...there are some great posts here. Good luck to all who are trying to lose weight! I'm trying to lose that stubborn last 5-10 lbs...it's a bitch.

cutthemdown
02-18-2008, 03:43 AM
wow, i won't even bother adding to this...there are some great posts here. Good luck to all who are trying to lose weight! I'm trying to lose that stubborn last 5-10 lbs...it's a b****.

I wouldn't know anything about losing the last 5-10 lbs. I think I will be at that point around July. I think the key though when you get that close is super vigorous workouts. You will have to lift weights and hit the cardio 3 times as intense when you work out. I think if you try really hard and you don't lose it, then you may just be at your healthy weight. Id say at that point just keep being active and you will live a long time.

Atwater His Ass
02-18-2008, 03:46 AM
I have dropped about 40 lbs since July. Granted, I have had Amoebic Dystenatery which accounted for the last 10 to 15 lbs, but still 25 to 30 lbs in as many weeks at age 37 isnt bad. And, I was putting on muscle at the same time which weighs more.

A couple of suggestions - things I use to succeed.

1. Dont weigh yourself constantly. You will make yourself mad. Set a goal to be healthy and not a certain weight. The only time I weigh in is at the doc's office.

I don't agree with this. Sucessful people weight themselves on a regular basis at the same time of day after the same amount of activity on a continuous basis.

Checking your weight on a regular basis only serves to help you keep track of where you are at. There is only 1 reason for a person not to do this. And that is because you are scared of the results because you aren't committed to the lifestyle change.

Rausch 2.0
02-18-2008, 05:38 AM
I did the carb diet and it worked great. Lost about 50 lbs when I was true to it. Gained back about 15 after two years and much slacking...

loborugger
02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't agree with this. Sucessful people weight themselves on a regular basis at the same time of day after the same amount of activity on a continuous basis.

Checking your weight on a regular basis only serves to help you keep track of where you are at. There is only 1 reason for a person not to do this. And that is because you are scared of the results because you aren't committed to the lifestyle change.

Well, to each his own, I guess. I measure how I do at the gym on a daily basis. However, if I weighed in regularly and discovered that I was losing a ounces per day, it would be discouraging for me.

Blueflame
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
People are individuals and what works for one person might not necessarily work for another...some may be encouraged by watching the scales inch slowly downward, while to others, slower progress (which usually results in longer-lasting weight loss) might be frustrating.

DeuceOfClub
02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Blessed with insane metabolism, gaining weight was never a problem for me. But there are certain easy ideas I know can really help:

Soft drinks: I can almost guarantee that if you’ll stop drinking soft / carbonated drinks and stick to water only in 2-3 weeks you’ll never want another soft drink. For 17 years now I drink nothing but water, and it taste so much better I actually get more thirsty when I drink any sugared drink now days.

Reduce sauces and other extras: less ketchup on the fries, less Soy sauce on the sushi, less BBQ sauce on the burger, less cheese on the pizza and so on. Stick to tasty-quality food and you wont need as much.

Coffee: if you drink many cup of coffees during the day reduce the amount of sugar in them, you will quickly enjoy it just as much.

Eating habits: get used to eat in regular times and places: and don’t eat after 8-9pm.

Keep supply of fruits that you enjoy eating for the snack-carving that attacks all of us. Always better to eat an orange / apple than a bag of potato chips (IMO it also taste better)

Exercise: find something you enjoy! Personally I hate to exercise, but I do enjoy play Basketball, so I make sure I go to play twice a week.

Do something interesting: we eat less when we are not bored!

Good luck.

BFDD
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I've been commuting to work on my bike and I've lost 17lbs since December 13th. I ride Monday Wednesday and Friday. It's a 40 mile round trip.

I've got a blog about what I'm doing, if anyone is interested check it out at Muffintopbikers.com (http://www.muffintopbikers.com).

My girlfriend and I take pictures of our "muffin tops" every 13th of the month to gauge our progress. We are doing this because we would like to be thinner,healthier, and its a great way to be outside. Plus, we would like to look like sexy bi*ches for our Bahama trip in October.

I think the trick is to be consistent with whatever diet you chose, and if you follow the simple rule of Burning 3 calories to every 2 digested, you should lose a pound a week.

Sassy
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
My problem is I don't have time to go home on my break since my commute is now longer...

Just found this!

Why Your Workouts Don't Work
How to Change Your Workout to Get the Results You Want
By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com
Updated: January 25, 2008

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Medical Review Board

Did you know the average health club exerciser quits after just six months for one of the following reasons:
Not Enough Time
Not Seeing Results
Sadly, most people become frustrated and quit exercising before they see any real results. But it's not surprising given the common mistakes many people make with their training programs. Are you making these workout mistakes?
Common Reasons Your Workouts Don't Work

All Quantity, No Quality
Take a look around the gym (if you haven't quit going yet) and see how many people are really getting a quality workout. I'm always amazed by how many people are wandering aimlessly, walking leisurely on a treadmill while reading a book, lifting weights so light that not one hair moves out of place, or simply look bored. A lot of exercisers head to the gym out of habit, and as if on automatic pilot, put in some time and head back to work or home. If you are one of these people, ask yourself, "What do I want to get out of this?" If you want serious results, you need to do serious exercise. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it and have fun. But it does means you need to focus on what you are doing and increase the quality of every movement. Once you start exercising with a real purpose and pushing both your aerobic capacity and your strength you will find your workouts take half the time and give better results.

Overestimating Your Exercise
Most exercisers are far too generous with estimates of exercise intensity and time, weight lifted and the frequency of their workouts. To avoid overestimating it's helpful to keep an exercise log and track these items. Additionally, many people mistakingly believe that if they exercise at a moderate pace for 30 minutes they have burned lots and lots of calories and fat. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. While exercise does burn calories over time and consistent exercise is one of the best ways to lose weight and keep it off, it's hard to lose body fat through exercise alone. Which brings us to the next mistake. . .

Underestimating Your Eating
Many people are in denial about the foods they eat and especially the quantity consumed. If you really want to lose weight you need to be honest with yourself about what you put into your mouth and how that helps or hinders your weight loss goals. To get real with yourself, write it down. Tracking what you eat in a food diary will help you break the cycle of food denial. (Besides, you are the only one who needs to know).

Doing the Wrong Type of Workout
Where did you learn your current exercise routine? Watching others at the gym (who are exercising incorrectly)? From your friends, coworkers, the web, tv, newspaper, the latest research findings, or perhaps your 5th grade gym teacher? What you are doing for exercise directly determines the results you will get. To learn what you should do, there is no better place to start then by writing down your goals and then working with a professional trainer to design the right workout to meet those goals. Haphazard exercise will provide haphazard results.

Never Changing Your Workout
When you do the same thing day after day, you get very good at it. In exercise this is called the principle of adaptation. It basically means that we become very efficient by doing the same exercise over and over. This is great for sports performance, but not that great for weight lose, strength increases or physical fitness progression. If you always do the same workout for the same amount of time you will eventually hit a plateau where you fail to see any additional change. One way of overcoming this plateau is to modify your workouts every few weeks or months. You can change the type of exercise you do, the length, the amount of weight lifted or the number or reps. This is why professional athletes change their program during the off-season.

Using Incorrect Form or Technique
Learning the right way to exercise is essential to getting results. Form does matter, especially when doing any strength training exercise. Incorrect form or technique also sets you up for potential injuries, pain and soreness. To learn proper technique, there is no better place to start than with a personal trainer or coach.

Setting Unrealistic Goals
So, what are your goals? Are they realistic for you? If your goal is to be the next Lance Armstrong, and you only have 30 minutes a day to train, or wanting to lose 25 pounds in a month, well, how realistic is that? Again, it comes back to being honest with yourself about your abilities, your level of commitment and your lifestyle. We need to set appropriate goals that start from where we are and progress at an attainable pass or we are sure to get frustrated and quit.

Measuring the Wrong Results
Many people think their workout isn't working because they don't measure the right things. Looking for proof in a scale is often a set-up for disappointment because some new exercisers build muscle and lose fat, but the scale doesn't provide information about body composition. Better ways to measure your fitness progress include tracking your heart rate at a given pace, measuring the distance you can cover in a certain amount of time, tracking the amount of weight you can lift, or even writing down how you feel -- physically -- at the end of each day. Many of the benefits from exercise are subtle and not visible by looking into the mirror, but things such as cholesterol level, blood pressure, and the ease with which you can do daily chores are every bit as motivating -- if you monitor them.

iforgotmypassword
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
a big thing is dont drink your calories... water water water, if u dont like water, find some really low calorie drink such as propel.....

i play college ball and it seems like i can drop or gain 15-20 whenever i want, all I do is drop calores, eat eggs, 6 eggs four of them just egg whites, its low calorie, fills ya up, and its mostly protien.

jus dont eat man

Sassy
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Go to the weight loss thread in off-topics ;D

~Crash~
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Go to the weight loss thread in off-topics ;D

Why not merge this thread to the other one and move the other thread in here and stiky it.... if nothing ealse untile it livens up ...

Sassy
02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Why not merge this thread to the other one and move the other thread in here and stiky it.... if nothing ealse untile it livens up ...

I have no such powers ;D

Dagmar
02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I have no such powers ;D

Some magical magician does though!

Blueflame
02-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Some magical magician does though!

Don't know if I've ever been referred to as a "magical magician" before...Ha!

broncocalijohn
02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Update: Got down to 182 (that is 36 pound lost since June) and since I went to the mountains to play in the snow (yes, we have some of that white stuff if we go up 5k feet) and have worked out once since Saturday. I think I found at least 2 pounds that have fallen off. Good to be skinny again. Still havent fixed my pinch nerve so I cant lift. Kicking A$$ will have to wait so no need to fear (yet)! :)

Natedogg
02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
BCJ: What's a typical workout for you?

Anyone: Chips and salsa is a healthy snack, right?

Dagmar
02-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Only if the are loaded with cheese and guac.

Deep fried if possible. A delicious snack.

Sassy
02-23-2008, 09:00 PM

That's a lot of carbs!

Sassy
02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Study participant Paul Helton poses with whole-grain foods and the refined foods used in the study in a photo courtesy of Pennsylvania State University. Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests. (Heather Katcher/Penn State/Handout/Reuters)
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests.

In a study of obese adults at risk of heart disease, researchers found that those who trimmed calories and increased their whole-grain intake shed more belly fat and lowered their blood levels of C- reactive protein or CRP.

CRP is a marker of chronic, low-level inflammation in the blood vessels, and both abdominal fat and CRP, in excess, are linked to heart attack and stroke.

In contrast, dieters in the study who mainly ate refined grains, like white bread, were able to lose weight, but they trimmed less fat from the middle and showed no change in CRP.

The findings offer yet more incentive for Americans to opt for whole grains over highly processed versions, according to the researchers.

"This is the first clinical study to prove that a diet rich in whole grains can lead to weight loss and reduce the risk of several chronic diseases," Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, the senior researcher on the study, said in a statement.

She and her colleagues at Pennsylvania State University report the findings in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In general, experts recommend eating whole grains -- such as oatmeal, brown rice and barley -- rather than refined grains, like white bread and other products made from white flour. Whole-grain foods retain more of the nutrients and fiber components of the grain.

This fact might explain why dieters in the current study showed added benefits when they ate whole grains, according to the researchers. For example, fiber-rich foods may have kept participants' blood sugar levels more stable throughout the day, and this, in turn, may have lowered their CRP levels.

Alternatively, CRP might have dropped because of the antioxidant nutrients that are present in whole grains but depleted in refined ones.

The study included 50 obese men and women who had metabolic syndrome, a collection of several risk factors for diabetes, heart disease and stroke -- such as abdominal obesity, high blood pressure and high blood sugar.

All of the study participants cut calories for 12 weeks, but half were instructed to strive for whole grains, while the rest were told to choose refined grains. The whole-grain group was told to look for products with "whole grain" listed as the first ingredient on the label.

In the end, the average weight loss was about 8 to 11 pounds in both groups. However, the average CRP level dropped by 38 percent in the whole-grain group, while remaining unchanged in the refined-grain group. In addition, while both groups showed a similar change in waistline size, the whole-grain dieters showed a greater reduction in the percentage of fat around the middle.

The researchers recommend that consumers look at labels and be careful to choose products that are good sources of whole grain.

"There are a lot of foods around that claim they contain whole grain but are not really major sources of whole grain," Kris-Etherton said. She suggested looking for foods like oatmeal, breakfast cereals made from whole grains, whole-wheat pastas, granola and popcorn.

As a general rule, she said, consumers should buy grain products that are at least 51 percent whole grain. Products that put health claims about whole grains on their labels are required to contain at least that much whole grain.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 2008.

Pendejo
02-28-2008, 02:09 AM
Ice Tea is my drink of choice now. If I don't make my own I buy Lipton's bottled unsweetened tea and add splenda.

Don't use that. Use Stevia.

BMF Bronco
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Down 10 since the middle of January.

RhymesayersDU
02-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Boy do I need to get back into this thread... :(

loborugger
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Study participant Paul Helton poses with whole-grain foods and the refined foods used in the study in a photo courtesy of Pennsylvania State University. Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests. (Heather Katcher/Penn State/Handout/Reuters)
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests.

In a study of obese adults at risk of heart disease, researchers found that those who trimmed calories and increased their whole-grain intake shed more belly fat and lowered their blood levels of C- reactive protein or CRP.

CRP is a marker of chronic, low-level inflammation in the blood vessels, and both abdominal fat and CRP, in excess, are linked to heart attack and stroke.

In contrast, dieters in the study who mainly ate refined grains, like white bread, were able to lose weight, but they trimmed less fat from the middle and showed no change in CRP.

The findings offer yet more incentive for Americans to opt for whole grains over highly processed versions, according to the researchers.

"This is the first clinical study to prove that a diet rich in whole grains can lead to weight loss and reduce the risk of several chronic diseases," Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, the senior researcher on the study, said in a statement.

She and her colleagues at Pennsylvania State University report the findings in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In general, experts recommend eating whole grains -- such as oatmeal, brown rice and barley -- rather than refined grains, like white bread and other products made from white flour. Whole-grain foods retain more of the nutrients and fiber components of the grain.

This fact might explain why dieters in the current study showed added benefits when they ate whole grains, according to the researchers. For example, fiber-rich foods may have kept participants' blood sugar levels more stable throughout the day, and this, in turn, may have lowered their CRP levels.

Alternatively, CRP might have dropped because of the antioxidant nutrients that are present in whole grains but depleted in refined ones.

The study included 50 obese men and women who had metabolic syndrome, a collection of several risk factors for diabetes, heart disease and stroke -- such as abdominal obesity, high blood pressure and high blood sugar.

All of the study participants cut calories for 12 weeks, but half were instructed to strive for whole grains, while the rest were told to choose refined grains. The whole-grain group was told to look for products with "whole grain" listed as the first ingredient on the label.

In the end, the average weight loss was about 8 to 11 pounds in both groups. However, the average CRP level dropped by 38 percent in the whole-grain group, while remaining unchanged in the refined-grain group. In addition, while both groups showed a similar change in waistline size, the whole-grain dieters showed a greater reduction in the percentage of fat around the middle.

The researchers recommend that consumers look at labels and be careful to choose products that are good sources of whole grain.

"There are a lot of foods around that claim they contain whole grain but are not really major sources of whole grain," Kris-Etherton said. She suggested looking for foods like oatmeal, breakfast cereals made from whole grains, whole-wheat pastas, granola and popcorn.

As a general rule, she said, consumers should buy grain products that are at least 51 percent whole grain. Products that put health claims about whole grains on their labels are required to contain at least that much whole grain.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 2008.

Processeed food is your enemy. And few things are more processed than white bread.

BroncoBuff
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
That whole-grain story is very interesting Sassy ... runs a bit counter-intuitive to my high-protein diet, but I think I'm gonna jump on the whole-grain train, I could use more variety in my diet. Any bread at the store that says "whole grain"?

My weight loss - by numbers - has slowed considerably. 293 now, which is about where I was the first of the year. I'm definitely not over-eating, either. I'm up to 30 minutes on the Lifecycle bike - heart rate 134 - minimum 3 times a week, plus the weights. Maybe I'm gaining muscle tissue which is heavier than fat ... but that sounds like a cop-out excuse.

My jeans are slowly getting a bit looser ... but the scale won't budge and that's getting me down :(

broncocalijohn
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
well, I have worked out today for the 3rd time in the last 10 days and I am now about 178. How could I lose this much weight without working out much? Add a few more alcohol drinks and a couple of runs to the fast food restuarant/pizza and I figure if you move for about 9 straight days, it is way better than working out. Ask Lynchmob about the 4 hours he helped me on Sunday. Thank God he is a big guy! He doesnt want to admit it, but I probably helped him lose 5 pounds easy. THe move is done so back to normal weight loss/exercise. I dont think I need to lose weight but maybe look at toning and muscle building like abs. That Pilate (whatever it is called) thing seems to work. I am now being told I look to skinny. I do get that from people that dont work out at all. Maybe they are in fear that exercise actually does work?

Sassy
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm guessing an increase in carbs every so often jumpstarts the metabolism. I've noticed that I can eat less all week and every couple of weeks go on a pizza/junk binge one weekend and I think I'll gain and I actually lose!~ Weird~

downpat75
03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Hello, I'm a noob here, and sorry if I ask questions that have been asked already, but damn there's a lot pages in this thread! Anyway I thought I'd jump in the discussion, especially because I too am on a journey to get back into shape. It's cool that there is place like this on a Broncos forum, hopefully everyone's stories of motivation, sucesses, and ideas will help me stay on track.

I'm 5'8" and currently 202 lbs. I've lost about 16 lbs since January mostly from reducing calorie intake, though with the weather slowly improving here in Idaho I'm hoping to get more active with some cardio 4-5 times a week.

My biggest problem is that I'm a picky eater, I find it hard to eat many types of vegetables and low calorie dishes. My favorite foods unfortunately are your heavy pasta dishes, pizza, hamburgers, and general run of the mill fast food. Good thing is I don't like candy or sweets! Any other picky eaters out there with tips?

Sassy
03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi! Welcome to the Mane!
Where are you at in Idaho?

downpat75
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks!
Pocatello.

Sassy
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks!
Pocatello.

I have one sister in Lewiston...well, technically Clarkston now...and one sister in New Plymouth.

downpat75
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Cool, I went to school in Moscow, at the University of Idaho. Very close to Lewiston.

Sassy
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
The sister in Clarkston also went to school in Moscow for awhile.

downpat75
03-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Nice, I had many great times there!

Jana®
04-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm a picky eater too and I love fast food. Unfortunately, my body does not. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm horribly overweight. So with the encouragement from my doctor, my family and my best friend, (And from getting hooked on The Biggest Loser) I have gone on a diet. I've stopped eating chocolate and all sweets completely, I only eat fast food once every couple of weeks or so, and I found that when I do, I don't eat all of the fatty greasy burgers that I used to. I eat the healthier things they have, like the wraps, grilled chickens and stuff. I did eat pizza today though. I stopped drinking soda and started drinking lots of Propel and water, and started eating more vegetables and fruits, and started doing a lot more cardio. I hit the treadmill for about 40 minutes at about a 3.5 speed about 4-5x a week so far, along with doing crunches and stuff like that. I've definitely cut down my calories and my portion size, and since December have dropped 26 pounds. The first 11 I didn't know I dropped, it was med induced. I gained two of that back and realized that at the end of December. At the end of February is when I started trying to lose weight, and from then up until now, I've lost 16 pounds on my own. I have a long way to go, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I have a ways to go with eating better foods, but I learned that if I eat 5-6 times a day small meals or snacks, and eat healthy snacks, then I'm not as hungry at mealtimes and I don't eat as much.. plus it keeps my metabolism up and I continue to burn calories. It works.

Dagmar
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Good luck Jana!

Jana®
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Thank you!

Master___Pain
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I saw Jana mention it, but if anyone that is trying to lose a significant amount of weight is looking for inspiration they should watch the biggest loser. It's an amazing show. Yes, the contestants get their butts kicked by their trainers but they also learn how to change their life through diet and exercise. Fast food and regular soda can not be in a person's diet that is trying to lose weight. A friend of mine kicked regular soda alone and lost 15 pounds in just over a month. He was a two to three soda a day guy.

Although I'm not extremely over weight I got a little chubby near the holidays and was about to break 200 pounds. Might not sound like much, but I'd never weighed that much. I've always been pretty active but I had slacked big time. My body fat was approaching 30% for a person that had always been in the teens and even single digits at times. Since the new year I've lost 14 pounds by exercising 5 times a week and cleaning up my diet. Everything from skiing, weight lifting, hiking, basketball and elliptical machine.

I'm down to 186 and have about 6 more to go to get where I want to be.

Beantown Bronco
04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I've become a big fan of Snickers Marathon Bars. I'm on a low fat, high protein, high fiber diet right now and they certainly do the trick there. One bar has 22 grams of protein (40% DV) 11 grams of dietary fiber (44% DV) and about 50-100% of all the major vitamins, etc. And they taste about 1,000 times better than any other power bar type alternative I've seen out there.

They get the Beantown Bronco stamp of approval.

Jana®
04-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I saw Jana mention it, but if anyone that is trying to lose a significant amount of weight is looking for inspiration they should watch the biggest loser. It's an amazing show. Yes, the contestants get their butts kicked by their trainers but they also learn how to change their life through diet and exercise. Fast food and regular soda can not be in a person's diet that is trying to lose weight. A friend of mine kicked regular soda alone and lost 15 pounds in just over a month. He was a two to three soda a day guy.

Although I'm not extremely over weight I got a little chubby near the holidays and was about to break 200 pounds. Might not sound like much, but I'd never weighed that much. I've always been pretty active but I had slacked big time. My body fat was approaching 30% for a person that had always been in the teens and even single digits at times. Since the new year I've lost 14 pounds by exercising 5 times a week and cleaning up my diet. Everything from skiing, weight lifting, hiking, basketball and elliptical machine.

I'm down to 186 and have about 6 more to go to get where I want to be.

AMEN to that. The Biggest Loser is where I got most of my inspiration. Especially Jillian. She is one tough bad ass, but she gets the job done, and I've learned a lot by her exercise videos and her methods. Even though I know that the contestants on there work out for hours a day and get their asses kicked and are monitored 24/7, it's stil so inspirational to know that you can be absolutely huge, and get down to having a hot bod, or even to the right healthy weight for your height. I've lost 26 pounds so far, but I have a long way to go still.

Sassy
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
WOOHOO! YOU GO JANA!
Hey, do we finally get to meet you at a game this year?

Sassy
04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Had my first bloodwork tests since losing my weight! NICE NUMBERS!
WOOHOO HOO

Jana®
04-10-2008, 01:03 AM
You go girl!!!!

And as for the game, you just might! ;) Maybe this time I will be more confident in myself and not be afraid to show myself!

cbs1177
04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
my plan to be super busy like last year and could eat anything and still loss weight. While it is crap my plan b/c of all the rain crumbler spring. plus no photos to justify the slowness.

Sassy
04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
The 20 Worst Foods in America
Posted Wed, Apr 02, 2008, 3:21 pm PDT
90% of users found this article helpful.
Post a Comment View All 310 Comments Restaurant food is bad for us. You may assume that anything you order at a drive-thru is less than sterling in a nutritional sense, but, in fact, the majority of what we eat at restaurants — even ones with helpful waiters and real tablecloths — is worse for us than we might ever imagine.
A study from the University of Arkansas that found the average diner in this country underestimates his or her caloric intake by up to 93 percent when eating out. Translation: Every time you eat at a restaurant, you're probably eating twice as much as you think.

The scariest part is that it isn't our fault. By expanding portion sizes, spiking our foods evermore with added sugars and dangerous fats, and slapping misleading labels on menus, the restaurant industry has made it nearly impossible for consumers to accurately gauge the caloric heft of, say, a plate of spaghetti and meatballs or a tropical fruit smoothie.
Some studies even show that nutritionists — the PhD-packing "experts" — can't get their calorie counts right. So how can you be expected to?

In researching our book "Eat This, Not That," and to help combat the problem and give people a better idea of how perilous a simple dinner out can be, we spent months reading nutritional info, analyzing food, inspecting menu boards, and, yes, even eating some of these industrial-strength calorie bombs to come up with a list of the restaurant industry's worst individual offenders. Our primary criterion? Sheer caloric impact. After all, it's the top cause of weight gain and the health problems that accompany it. We also factored in other key nutritional data, such as excessive carbohydrates and fat, added sugars, trans fats, and sodium.
The result is our first annual list of the worst foods in America.

Worst Drink
Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie (30 fl oz)
900 calories
10 g fat
183 g carbs
166 g sugar

Jamba Juice calls it a smoothie; we call it a milk shake. In fact, this beverage contains more sugar than 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's Butter Pecan ice cream.

Worst Supermarket Meal
Pepperidge Farm Roasted Chicken Pot Pie (whole pie)
1,020 calories
64 g fat
86 g carbs

The label may say this pie serves 2, but who ever divided a small pot pie in half? Once you crack the crust, there will be no stopping.

Worst Mexican Entree
Chipotle Mexican Grilled Chicken Burrito
1,179 calories
47 g fat
125 g carbs
2,656 mg sodium

Despite a reputation for using healthy, fresh ingredients, Chipotle's menu is limited to football-size burritos, overstuffed tacos, and gigantic salads — all of which contribute to a humongous waistline.

Worst Kids' Meal
Macaroni Grill Double Macaroni 'n' Cheese
1,210 calories
62 g fat
3,450 mg sodium

It's like feeding your kid 1˝ boxes of Kraft mac 'n' cheese.

Worst Fish Entree
On the Border Dos XX Fish Tacos with Rice and Beans
2,100 calories
130 g fat
169 g carbs
4,750 mg sodium

Perhaps the most misleadingly named dish in America: A dozen crunchy tacos from Taco Bell will saddle you with fewer calories.

The Worst Food in America
Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing
2,900 calories
182 g fat
240 g carbs

It's the caloric equivalent of eating 14 Krispy Kreme doughnuts, before your dinner arrives. Even if you split this "starter" with 3 friends, you'll have downed a meal's worth of calories.

For a complete list of the 20 Worst Foods in America, and details on how to disarm the restaurant industry's weapons of mass construction, check out these rankings and nutrition secrets.

Sassy
04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Eat This, Not That 6 Health Foods That Aren't
Posted Mon, Mar 31, 2008, 10:01 am PDT
89% of users found this article helpful.
Post a Comment View All 451 Comments Healthy food may be making you fat.

Hold on: I'm not talking about broccoli and bell peppers here. I'm talking about a lot of the foods that are sold to us as "low-fat," "low-carb," or otherwise "healthy" fare. The food industry invests $30 billion a year in advertising, and much of that is used to dupe consumers into believing bogus bites are somehow good for us.

The truth is, behind every low-fat label and celebrated salad is a list of ingredients that would give even the most relentless glutton reason to reconsider.

In researching the best-selling book "Eat This, Not That!," the title for this new blog with my co-author Matt Goulding, we were shocked to find that the foods so many health-conscious eaters in this country consider to be smart choices are actually the most responsible for our ever-expanding waistlines.

Many of the "low-fat" or otherwise "healthy" options we examined packed several hundred extra calories in them! Translation: Get duped into eating one pseudo-healthy food a day, and you'll have an extra 30 pounds (or more) to work off by the end of the year.

We've identified six of the most misunderstood foods in America, so that next time you think you're doing your body a favor, you actually will be - by looking for something else that actually is healthy.

1. Bran Muffin
440 calories
23 grams of fat
35 g sugars

Made primarily with sugar, refined flour and hydrogenated oil, it's like starting your day with a candy bar. Actually, it's like starting your day with two candy bars, since this misunderstood muffin has more fat and calories than two Kit Kat bars.

2. Chicken Caesar Salad
900 calories
60 grams of fat

Caesar salads suffer the consequences of two natural disasters: a flood of fatty dressing and a blizzard of Parmesan cheese and croutons. All told, it's a caloric catastrophe - equal to scarfing down 20 Chicken McNuggets!

3. Tuna Melt
950 calories
55 grams of fat

Plain tuna out of the can is healthy; tuna drenched in mayo, shrouded in melted cheese, and slicked with another layer of dressing is not. You'd be better off eating three six-inch roast beef sandwiches from Subway!

4. Chicken Wrap
700 calories
35 grams of fat

How wraps got such a good rap is beyond us, since they're really just oversized tortillas, packing up to 400 calories on their own - that is, before the onslaught of cheese, meat, and dressing it houses! You'd get the same number of calories from 20 strips of bacon.

5. Turkey Burger
850 calories
50 grams of fat

At home a turkey burger might be a decent choice, but in the restaurant world it means high-fat ground turkey, heavy mayo, melted cheese, and a big, pillowy bun. It's the equivalent of three 8-oz sirloin steaks.

6. Fruit Smoothies
600 calories
120 grams of sugar

Unless it says 100 percent fruit, your "fruit" smoothie is likely made with ice cream, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and a few token chunks of banana. All told, this popular afternoon snack has as much sugar as six Haagen Dazs Vanilla and Almond ice cream bars. Ouch.

For even more 'healthy' foods that actually expand your waistline, check out these other surprising foods.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sassy
04-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Back to the biking! Finally...although I only did 6 miles in about 50 minutes! But it was a little breezy on the way back...breezy and 47 degrees when my legs aren't used to it is a little slow moving! But it felt good!

BMF Bronco
04-13-2008, 01:35 AM
man I got a Bowflex treadclimber and that thing kicks my ass!

Beantown Bronco
04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
The Worst Food in America

Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing
2,900 calories
182 g fat
240 g carbs

It's the caloric equivalent of eating 14 Krispy Kreme doughnuts, before your dinner arrives. Even if you split this "starter" with 3 friends, you'll have downed a meal's worth of calories.

I've eaten this before on my own......knew it was bad, but had no idea it was THAT bad. I prefer the chili cheese fries at Longhorn Steakhouse personally.

missingswife
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow im glad i found this forum. I am doing Body for Life. My brother recently did it and lost 80 plus lbs doing it. Did u know that John Elway did this when he won the super bowl? I just saw it on a video.
They say if u eat 6 small meals a day and combine the proper way along with some exercise u will loose it. Im gonna give it a try. Got baby weight to loose! The exercise part is just 20 min of aerobic activity 3 days a week and 3 days u alternate between your upper and lower body. On the seventh day is a free day. No exercise unless u want and u eat what u want. Im giving it a try!!!

missingswife
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM
man I got a Bowflex treadclimber and that thing kicks my ass!

I want one of those! Hard to justify spending that much! Did u get it from Bowflex or somewhere else?

worm
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Worst Drink
Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie (30 fl oz)
900 calories
10 g fat
183 g carbs
166 g sugar

Jamba Juice calls it a smoothie; we call it a milk shake. In fact, this beverage contains more sugar than 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's Butter Pecan ice cream.

LOVE these. Throw some strawberries in there....and its heaven.

Yikes! That is a hell of a lot of sugar.

BMF Bronco
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I want one of those! Hard to justify spending that much! Did u get it from Bowflex or somewhere else?

Yeah, I got it from Bowflex along with the dumbells that go from 10-90 pounds, which are phenominal, and the bench.

missingswife
04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I got it from Bowflex along with the dumbells that go from 10-90 pounds, which are phenominal, and the bench.

Yeah i saw those weights too. I have just reg ones for now. Got a trip for SD this year so i think it will be put on the back burner for a bit. The sacrifices we make! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Jana®
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Body For Life is a great workout from what I've heard. I'm using the Biggest Loser Fitness Program, and it works great too. There's some killer circuit training routines in there. They kick your ass but they work.

missingswife
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Body For Life is a great workout from what I've heard. I'm using the Biggest Loser Fitness Program, and it works great too. There's some killer circuit training routines in there. They kick your ass but they work.

Yeah it is a great program and it doesnt take alot of time either. U can do it in a gym or from home. I have lost 2lbs this week so far and i have cheated even. I started to walk on my lunch here but then today it rained so no such luck! I plan to jump on the tread mill and get my walk that way! How is everyone else doing???? My goal is about 30lbs!

Sassy
04-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah it is a great program and it doesnt take alot of time either. U can do it in a gym or from home. I have lost 2lbs this week so far and i have cheated even. I started to walk on my lunch here but then today it rained so no such luck! I plan to jump on the tread mill and get my walk that way! How is everyone else doing???? My goal is about 30lbs!

I wanna bike...this weather sucks~

missingswife
04-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I wanna bike...this weather sucks~

I agree Sassy, this weather is the pits! Possible snow?! What in the world isnt it spring?

Jana®
04-24-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm doing great. I hit the treadmill about every day, except for when the maintenance crew are jerks and forget to unlock the fitness center over the weekend. I've lost 32 pounds so far. !Booya!

Sassy
04-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Great Job, Jana!!! Way to go!

missingswife
04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
That is awesome Jana u give me hope!!!! I need to loose and i want to loose fast! I want to loose 20lbs by the time Missingnumber7 gets home!!! Are u doing a workout video if so were did u find it at?

Sassy
06-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey Sarah...I just bought these!
1 "The Biggest Loser Workout: Cardio Max"
Bob Harper (II); DVD; $8.99

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 "The Biggest Loser Workout: Power Sculpt"
Jillian Michaels; DVD; $8.99

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Jana®
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
The Jillian Michaels video will kick your ass. She is a hard trainer but worth it! I've officially lost 47 pounds so far! I am on a roll. :)

Sassy
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Awesome job, Jana!

BroncoBuff
06-23-2008, 01:58 PM
ONE YEAR: 46 pounds lost!
June 1 to June 1 .... 320 to 274.

Q: ANY IMPORTANT LESSONS LEARNED?
A: Yes, there IS a "SECRET" to losing weight, and it's not starvation...

It's a magical state variously called 'lypolisis' or 'ketosis,' where your body stops using glucose (that insulin takes from the carbs you eat) for fuel, and instead starts feeding off the stored body fat you have.

It's basic bio-evolution: When humans' food was scarce, our bodies evolved to crave glucose-rich foods, and we stored the glucose as fat we could use for energy in times of need/starvation. But NOWADAYS, food is never scarce, so we don't need to store glucose as fat. But our evolutionary drive to store that fat ios still there ... we keep eating glucose/sugars/carbs, and our body keeps storing and storing and storing them. We never use those stores, because we're never short of food. You can actually eat basically ALL YOU WANT ... and still lose weight. BUt eat only protein and fats.

It's like we keep storing and storing and storing a warehouse, but never use those stockpiles because we never need them. Thus, we're fat.

My exercise is great - 40-60 minutes on the bike 3x a week, the digital readout says betwen 400-500 calries burned each time. But I'm really hoping to trigger that ketosis/lypolosis state. According to Atkins, you must eat ZERO carbs for a minimum two weeks to trigger that response, and I haven't had the push to go quite that far yet.

Any suggestions?

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Looks like you all just need to eat at McDonalds more often. From abc news:

Chris Coleson battled his weight for years, but when he had trouble sliding into a restaurant booth it boosted and fueled his desire to drop the excess pounds. But rather than try conventional diets, which had failed him before, the then 276-pound Coleson opted for his own "realistic" solution in December: he'd only eat at McDonald's. After six months on his McDiet, Coleson lost 80 pounds and dropped 14 pants sizes. His waist went from 50-inches to 36. "I didn't make my goal of 185, but I've made some great lifestyle choices and I'll make that goal," the 42-year-old said on "Good Morning America today.

Supersized Slim Down

Coleson's goal was to hit 185 pounds by his wedding anniversary, which is Saturday. Today he only is five pounds short of the goal. His weight loss marks several major milestones in his life. For the first time in seven years, Coleson said he is able to wear his wedding band. "I put the ring on [my wife's] 40th birthday [in April]," he said. It helped keep him motivated and so did the thought of his two children, eight-year-old Meghan and six-year-old James.

"I tried to pick small milestones," Coleson said. Besides wanting to slimdown to his wedding-day weight, Coleson's supersized slimdown also was sparked by his family's history of heart disease. Heart disease killed his mother at age 62 and his father suffered a major heart attack at age 39. "There were nights I'd go to bed and I worried I wasn't going to get up," said Coleson, who admitted his weight was due to overeating. "I would literally sit at the refrigerator and just eat out of the refrigerator," he said. "I would attack the kids' school lunches that [my wife] had prepared the night before." Coleson said he was eating 5,000 calories daily when he was at his heaviest. When he decided to get in shape he relied on a simple idea: "calories in and calories out — I figured it was a simple principle."

Starting His McDiet

When Coleson told his wife of his plans to shape up by consuming only two McDonald's meals a day, she was skeptical. "I initially thought he was crazy," said Coleson' wife Patricia Sumner, on "Good Morning America" today. But the 40-year-old came around when she noticed her husband getting slimmer and even tried it out herself. To date, she's dropped 30 pounds and someone called her "McFit" at her daughter's recent softball game.

Coleson lost his weight by regulating his caloric intake to only 1,400 calories a day. That's well below what doctor's would consider safe for a man his size. Coleson said he was able to lose weight by avoiding the fast food restaurant's extremely popular French fries. He said he never had them once. "I stayed away from the fries," he said. What he did eat were the salads and on occasion he would integrate a hamburger patty on one. "I might break it up and turn into a steak salad," Coleson said.

The Virginia man also would eat grilled chicken salads and sandwiches, walnut salads, and apple dippers sans the caramel sauce. "[The wraps] were a favorite of mine," he said. Though Coleson did say he began to get bored with meal plan until he noticed how well it worked for him.

Coleson regulated his caloric intake to a mere 1,400 calories a day — what most doctors would consider unsafe for a man Coleson's size. In fact, Dr. Christine Gerbstadt, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, called Coleson's a "starvation diet." Coleson also would skip breakfast on his meal plan and kept daily journal, as well as receipts from his exploit, both to keep himself on track and to prove to others that he had actually lost the weight with McDonald's. Coleson also began exercising a few times a week, which he was not doing prior to the McDiet. In fact, he said he used to get winded after climbing four steps.

McDonald's has not released a statement about Coleson's triumph, but the company did tell ABC News "We applaud his efforts and his results." Today is the last day of his Golden Archathon, which has lasted 200 days. To celebrate his new look and life Coleson changed his license plate.

The plate used to read "Old N Fat" and now it says "McFit."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=5198060&page=1

Orange_Beard
06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
ok

Orange_Beard
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
How about a training camp weight loss contest. Seems every year I(we) make fun of players who come in out of shape.
How about we all shape up for training camp?
I don't have too much weight to lose, but I could sure be in better shape. Who's in?

Los Broncos
06-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I dropped five pounds last week due to stress and eating better.

Natedogg
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
I took a nice long run today. running more and more and pullups. tyring to eat smart. dont have a scale so i cant weigh my self, but i imagine i havnt lost weight :(

Too much beer/alcohol :( !!

Beantown Bronco
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
You guys should pull your jerkoff posts ... this is not a joke thead.

My article is legit.....and just so happened to be published the same day this thread got bumped, so I thought it was rather timely.

DomCasual
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
ONE YEAR: 46 pounds lost!
June 1 to June 1 .... 320 to 274.

Q: ANY IMPORTANT LESSONS LEARNED?
A: Yes, there IS a "SECRET" to losing weight, and it's not starvation...

It's a magical state variously called 'lypolisis' or 'ketosis,' where your body stops using glucose (that insulin takes from the carbs you eat) for fuel, and instead starts feeding off the stored body fat you have.

It's basic bio-evolution: When humans' food was scarce, our bodies evolved to crave glucose-rich foods, and we stored the glucose as fat we could use for energy in times of need/starvation. But NOWADAYS, food is never scarce, so we don't need to store glucose as fat. But our evolutionary drive to store that fat ios still there ... we keep eating glucose/sugars/carbs, and our body keeps storing and storing and storing them. We never use those stores, because we're never short of food. You can actually eat basically ALL YOU WANT ... and still lose weight. BUt eat only protein and fats.

It's like we keep storing and storing and storing a warehouse, but never use those stockpiles because we never need them. Thus, we're fat.

My exercise is great - 40-60 minutes on the bike 3x a week, the digital readout says betwen 400-500 calries burned each time. But I'm really hoping to trigger that ketosis/lypolosis state. According to Atkins, you must eat ZERO carbs for a minimum two weeks to trigger that response, and I haven't had the push to go quite that far yet.

Any suggestions?

Have you read Freakonomics? They have an article about this very thing, if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't read the book, I could try and find the article online for you (or at least summarize it, from my copy of the book). I thought it was pretty interesting.

BroncoBuff
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Have you read Freakonomics? They have an article about this very thing, if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't read the book, I could try and find the article online for you (or at least summarize it, from my copy of the book). I thought it was pretty interesting.
Yeah, it's the real deal ... scientifically proven. Almost like a magic trick, really. Eat all you want, lose tons of weight. But even wth these simple rules, I'm telling you it's hard to eliminate sugar and carbs - even for the 2-3 weeks it takes to get into the ketosis/lypolosis state.

The food pyramid was BS all along ... the truth is you can actually eat all the roast beef you want - just no bread; all the steak and eggs you want - just no toast and jelly; all the beef jerky, chicken roasters, butter and animal products you want.

The fact that real butter is actually GOOD for weight loss takes a serious change in thinking.

Jana®
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I have to say that I've kind of slacked off on eating better, but I have stayed away from fast food for the most part, and I've stayed away from the junk food and sweets and chocolate, and I don't drink alcohol at all or soda, and I do exercise at least 3 times a week and I do eat a lot less than I did before and I'm still dropping weight. I've lost 55 pounds since the end of February, and I'm still losing. I have a ways to go, about 90 pounds to hit my goal weight, but 55 pounds is a long way to have come so far. Just being able to fit into clothes 2-3 sizes smaller than what I used to wear is SO nice. My goal is to be under 200 pounds by OM weekend. :D (And from someone who weighed close to 300 pounds, thanks to depression and medications, and crappy eating habits, that is a monumentous goal!) But I only have 25 pounds to go to make it there.

BroncoBuff
07-21-2008, 01:35 AM
I have to say that I've kind of slacked off on eating better, but I have stayed away from fast food for the most part, and I've stayed away from the junk food and sweets and chocolate, and I don't drink alcohol at all or soda, and I do exercise at least 3 times a week and I do eat a lot less than I did before and I'm still dropping weight. I've lost 55 pounds since the end of February, and I'm still losing. I have a ways to go, about 90 pounds to hit my goal weight, but 55 pounds is a long way to have come so far. Just being able to fit into clothes 2-3 sizes smaller than what I used to wear is SO nice. My goal is to be under 200 pounds by OM weekend. :D (And from someone who weighed close to 300 pounds, thanks to depression and medications, and crappy eating habits, that is a monumentous goal!) But I only have 25 pounds to go to make it there.
You'll make it! You'll be under 200, and I'll buy you several beers (light beers ::))

Jana, have you thought about that low-carb Atkins type diet? I finally got going on it, and the trick for me was just stocking up: I bought a platter of 5 dozen eggs, 3 2-lbs blocks of cheese and a 2-pound bag of Mexican 4-grated cheese blend, a dozen cans of tuna, 4 chickens, 3 or 4 one-pound ground beef packages, several packages of steaks, salmon steaks, brats and hot italian sausage. And then eat ONLY THAT stuff. I had so much food to eat, it was much easier. The only carbs I ate for awhile were the Sweet-n-Low and powdered cream in coffee, and the onions and mustard on the sausage or burgers. Been on it two weeks now and have lost 9 pounds. Butter is fine, and so is mayonnaise ... so tuna fish salad is okay ... just no bread.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Lost 50 pounds since March.

Stop calling me fat.

BroncoBuff
07-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Lost 50 pounds since March.

Stop calling me fat.
I never called you fat, not my style.

But I will say this ... recently you said something about staying away from meat as a dietary strategy? If so, I suggest you read a couple of my posts on this page. There IS a magic bullet to weight loss, so easy it's almost like cheating. I would call it "Atkins," but that word is so charged with pre-judgment, just think of it as a Low-Carb diet, one you can do for three months and lose 40 or even 50 pounds.

07-21-2008, 02:34 AM
But I will say this ... recently you said something about staying away from meat as a dietary strategy? .

Nah, not really. Had chicken today. I don't eat much read meat, though.

dbfan4life
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
So I decided to drop a few lbs. I had to go up a size in pants recently and that was enough for me. I vowed I would not do it but still ended up having to. First thing I did was put away the ciggys (though I had a minor slip today). Second thing I did was stop buying burritos and donuts in the morning and changed my diet. Third, I joined a gym. Lost 5 lbs in my first week. I can lose weight, no problem. My problem is that I stop doing the things that help (eating right, excercising) and just get plain lazy. I'm determined this time!

07-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Old bob:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/Dagmarx/loser.jpg

New bob:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3768/moiww8.jpg

BroncoBuff
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Sorry, I don't read sign language.

BMF Bronco
07-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Old bob:

New bob:

COngrats dude!

but you're still a douche.

DenverBrit
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Old fat blob:

New fat blob:

Other than you "coming out of the closet" in a 'fat dress'.....WTF is the difference??

BroncoBuff
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
More from The New York Times on the truth that low-carb diets, with basically unrestricted protein and fat intake, are 10 times better for weight loss, and they also leave the dieter with a "better cholesterol profile" that the traditional FDA "Food Pyramid" dieters:

10 Things to Scratch From Your Worry List

1. Killer hot dogs.
What is it about frankfurters? There was the nitrite scare. Then the grilling-creates-carcinogens alarm. And then, when those menaces ebbed, the weenie warriors fell back on that old reliable villain: saturated fat (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/fat/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier).

But now even saturated fat isn’t looking so bad, thanks to a rigorous experiment (http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/good-news-on-saturated-fat/) in Israel reported this month. The people on a low-carb, unrestricted-calorie diet (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/specialtopic/food-guide-pyramid/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier) consumed more saturated fat than another group forced to cut back on both fat and calories (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/diet-calories/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier), but those fatophiles lost more weight and ended up with a better cholesterol (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/cholesterol/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier) profile. And this was just the latest in a series of studies contradicting the medical establishment’s predictions about saturated fat.

If you must worry, focus on the carbs in the bun. But when it comes to the fatty frank — or the fatty anything else on vacation — I’d relax.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/science/29tier.html?no_interstitial

Notice it's an "Unrestricted Calorie Diet" ... basically all the steak and eggs you can eat, all the tuna fish you can eat (mayo is okay), all the cheese and eggs of any kind you can eat, all the chicken, fich, pork, turkey and beef you can eat. And a smattering of veggies. Just no breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, juice, or sugars of any kind (nutrasweet and saccharin are okay, coffee and diet pop are okay).

Stay on this zero-carb diet 2-3 weeks, and the weight falls off like magic. Then slowly work carbs back into your diet. It's like cheating.

08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
For the first time in YEARS I weigh less than 250 pounds. Weighed in today I'm 245. I wish I knew what I weighed in high school but I bet it was more than that my senior year. ONWARD!

Jana®
08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
You'll make it! You'll be under 200, and I'll buy you several beers (light beers ::))

Jana, have you thought about that low-carb Atkins type diet? I finally got going on it, and the trick for me was just stocking up: I bought a platter of 5 dozen eggs, 3 2-lbs blocks of cheese and a 2-pound bag of Mexican 4-grated cheese blend, a dozen cans of tuna, 4 chickens, 3 or 4 one-pound ground beef packages, several packages of steaks, salmon steaks, brats and hot italian sausage. And then eat ONLY THAT stuff. I had so much food to eat, it was much easier. The only carbs I ate for awhile were the Sweet-n-Low and powdered cream in coffee, and the onions and mustard on the sausage or burgers. Been on it two weeks now and have lost 9 pounds. Butter is fine, and so is mayonnaise ... so tuna fish salad is okay ... just no bread.

I tried the Atkins diet, and I was a miserable bitch.. lol. When I finally went on my weight loss plan this time, my doctor told me not to go on any "diet", but to change my eating habits and exercise. I am now officially down 61 pounds and only have 19 to go to reach under 200. I don't know if I will reach that by the Saints game, but I will be damn close!

08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Fad diets are retarded. In River Falls the last two weeks I ate pizza, waffle fries, steak, cookies, twix, and FRIED CHEESE CURDS. I still lost 10 pounds because I didn't OVERINDULGE, didn't eat those things EVERY DAY, and kept active.

BroncoBuff
08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
RIGHT ON Jana and Bob ....

I wouldn't call Atkins a "fad diet," but whatever works for you, great.

I went off Atkins this weekend ... but overall I'm 38 down this calendar year, 61 down overall (since May '07).

272 or so now ... shooting for in the 240s :thumbs:

Sassy
08-12-2008, 07:09 PM
More from The New York Times on the truth that low-carb diets, with basically unrestricted protein and fat intake, are 10 times better for weight loss, and they also leave the dieter with a "better cholesterol profile" that the traditional FDA "Food Pyramid" dieters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/science/29tier.html?no_interstitial

Notice it's an "Unrestricted Calorie Diet" ... basically all the steak and eggs you can eat, all the tuna fish you can eat (mayo is okay), all the cheese and eggs of any kind you can eat, all the chicken, fich, pork, turkey and beef you can eat. And a smattering of veggies. Just no breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, juice, or sugars of any kind (nutrasweet and saccharin are okay, coffee and diet pop are okay).

Stay on this zero-carb diet 2-3 weeks, and the weight falls off like magic. Then slowly work carbs back into your diet. It's like cheating.

This is pretty much what I did for a year...since a year ago last april...lost 24 lbs...(gained a little back...but that's when I went back to cheating big time)...seriously it fell off...and my triglcerides and chloesteral in April were great!

Sassy
09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Basic Weight Loss Mistakes
Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2008, 4:12 pm PDT
Post a Comment View All 75 Comments A lot of us are out there watching what we eat and exercising, but still not making a dent in our bellies and body weight. There are a few things we are probably not doing, or doing too much of, that would mean major improvements in our health.

Get more sleep. After a very short period of time (about 6 nights), studies show that your glucose levels can rise if you get only 4 to 7 hours of sleep each night. New parents are excluded, but everyone else should try to hit the 8 hour mark as often as you can and get to bed BEFORE midnight. Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight: Our cortisol levels are lowest before midnight therefore our recovery is the highest.

Eating fewer refined and processed foods. Avoid fast and fried food and try to consume as many real foods as you can. It's also imperative to get enough fiber (helps with elimination); fruits and veggies are a great way to fill up.

Avoid sugary drinks and reach for more water. Water is great for so many things like digestion, eliminating toxins in the body, and transporting important nutrients to our cells which need energy to burn calories. Americans drink 20% of their calories, so be careful of that silent pitfall.

Get to know your kitchen. I realize it takes more work, but the simple truth is we eat out or order in too often. There is a greater opportunity to control what is in your food if you cook it yourself.

Slow down. When you do sit down to a meal, don't woof it down. Our culture encourages eating while driving or sitting at our desks. The only time we seem to sit down and enjoy our food is at Thanksgiving. The monks chew each bite of food 100 times (which is excessive), but they also eat only until they are full. They recognize that chewing their food more makes it easier for the body to digest.

Breathe. There are so many days that I don't breathe deeply. In the morning, mid-afternoon, and at the end of the day take a 10 conscious, belly-deep breaths. Close your eyes, pull that air deep into your stomach via your nose and let all the junk out through your mouth. Whether its a stressful day, or you just want to start and end your day on the right foot, breathing is important.

Don't starve yourself. Oddly enough some of you may not be eating enough, and the lack of calories is putting your body into save mode. Our bodies are so brilliant, and if they aren't getting enough food, your metabolism will tell your body to store each and every calorie it receives or to make energy from whatever muscle tissue you have. Not good. Oh and by the way, don't skip breakfast. People who skip breakfast are over 4 times more likely to be overweight.

Do more than exercise. Even if you are working out, you can't eat and drink whatever you want. It really is a three sided puzzle: balancing exercise, food, and (oh yes) the spirit (which stress and happiness play into).

I wish you the greatest of success, and remember, being healthy is like making your bed. It really is something we have to work at everyday.

2007 Gabrielle Reece . All Rights Reserved.

How's everyone doing?
I have gained 10 lbs. since last September...ugh.
But considering the lack of exercise/eating better like I was doing I guess that's not surprising or really that bad...but still...I liked where I was last year at this time!

09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm under 240 now. I was 238 when I weighed in Monday. Onward!

ghwk
09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I've noticed a direct correlation between the amount of beer I drink and my weight. Sierra Nevada's are my downfall.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight

I've heard this before and it makes me chuckle every time. Your body has no way of knowing when it is actually midnight. It's not like we're gremlins or something.

Think about it. How would daylight savings affect your body if this was true? What about changing the time you go to bed or wake up? Any change in schedule would affect your body's perception of when midnight actually was.

It's a myth.

09-26-2008, 05:39 PM
That sounds like something Sassy read in an e-mail forward from one of her soccer mom friends.

broncocalijohn
09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Got up to 188 thanks to the Orange Mane weekend. My weight level of 183 seems happy to me. I decided to not miss any exercise since my full day back on Tuesday and no beer drinking this Sunday for football in the morning, Angels in the afternoon and Ducks hockey at 5 PM. By Monday, I should be back at 183. Thanks Sassy and Hogan for making me eat all the food that you didnt touch. I hate to see brauts go to waste.... and porkchops.

Jana®
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Basic Weight Loss Mistakes
Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2008, 4:12 pm PDT
Post a Comment View All 75 Comments A lot of us are out there watching what we eat and exercising, but still not making a dent in our bellies and body weight. There are a few things we are probably not doing, or doing too much of, that would mean major improvements in our health.

Get more sleep. After a very short period of time (about 6 nights), studies show that your glucose levels can rise if you get only 4 to 7 hours of sleep each night. New parents are excluded, but everyone else should try to hit the 8 hour mark as often as you can and get to bed BEFORE midnight. Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight: Our cortisol levels are lowest before midnight therefore our recovery is the highest.

Eating fewer refined and processed foods. Avoid fast and fried food and try to consume as many real foods as you can. It's also imperative to get enough fiber (helps with elimination); fruits and veggies are a great way to fill up.

Avoid sugary drinks and reach for more water. Water is great for so many things like digestion, eliminating toxins in the body, and transporting important nutrients to our cells which need energy to burn calories. Americans drink 20% of their calories, so be careful of that silent pitfall.

Get to know your kitchen. I realize it takes more work, but the simple truth is we eat out or order in too often. There is a greater opportunity to control what is in your food if you cook it yourself.

Slow down. When you do sit down to a meal, don't woof it down. Our culture encourages eating while driving or sitting at our desks. The only time we seem to sit down and enjoy our food is at Thanksgiving. The monks chew each bite of food 100 times (which is excessive), but they also eat only until they are full. They recognize that chewing their food more makes it easier for the body to digest.

Breathe. There are so many days that I don't breathe deeply. In the morning, mid-afternoon, and at the end of the day take a 10 conscious, belly-deep breaths. Close your eyes, pull that air deep into your stomach via your nose and let all the junk out through your mouth. Whether its a stressful day, or you just want to start and end your day on the right foot, breathing is important.

Don't starve yourself. Oddly enough some of you may not be eating enough, and the lack of calories is putting your body into save mode. Our bodies are so brilliant, and if they aren't getting enough food, your metabolism will tell your body to store each and every calorie it receives or to make energy from whatever muscle tissue you have. Not good. Oh and by the way, don't skip breakfast. People who skip breakfast are over 4 times more likely to be overweight.

Do more than exercise. Even if you are working out, you can't eat and drink whatever you want. It really is a three sided puzzle: balancing exercise, food, and (oh yes) the spirit (which stress and happiness play into).

I wish you the greatest of success, and remember, being healthy is like making your bed. It really is something we have to work at everyday.

2007 Gabrielle Reece . All Rights Reserved.

How's everyone doing?
I have gained 10 lbs. since last September...ugh.
But considering the lack of exercise/eating better like I was doing I guess that's not surprising or really that bad...but still...I liked where I was last year at this time!

This is great advice! I'm trying to live by it! My original goal was to be under 200 by the Saints game and I almost made it. I was 10 pounds shy. It's now 5 days later and I'm only 6 pounds shy. I'm proud of myself because losing 73 pounds in 7 months in 7 months is damn good. I have a long way to go still, but I will get there.

loborugger
09-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Dont post here often...

However, I started charting my progress in the gym. I read where many successfully gym rats wrote down there work outs and compared the results.

I also read the same thing about diet.

I have found that writing down everything that goes in the old gullet has helped over the last month. I am not a slave to the scale, but I know just measuring everything has kept me under the bar, ie the total caloric intake for someone of my weight/size.

Two sites to check out...

http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories-need.asp
&
http://www.calorie-count.com/

Hope this helps.

BroncoBuff
09-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow ... 258 on Friday. That's 60 pounds in 17 months ... I was 340 in April 2007. :thanku:
OOPS! I meant to say 320, not 340. I never would've made that mistake when I was fat, but now that I've lost so much, it's easy to exaggerate ... ROFL! The 60 was correct though.

theAPAOps5
09-27-2008, 09:05 AM
WOW congrats BB

BroncoBuff
09-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I greatly encourage everybody who wants to lose big chunks of weight to try Atkins. I started Atkins a couple months ago and started dropping fast. It's simple, just eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Nothing else for two-three weeks (or more, NO cheating: cheating starts the clock over at zero days). You can even eat LOTS and LOTS of these foods, all you want basically, and the pounds will fall off. I can't understand how anybody would not do that for a couple-three weeks.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, and not just talk about it, not just hope for it, that's the ticket. But you can't eat ANY bread, sugar, rice, pasta, nothing other than meat (any kind), fish, cheese and eggs. Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day. If you can't follow this plan for three weeks, you just don't wanna lose weight badly enough.

09-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Do you have before/after pics, Buff?

missingnumber7
09-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I dropped 10 in the last two weeks, 10 to go and no more being taped for me!

Sassy
09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Got up to 188 thanks to the Orange Mane weekend. My weight level of 183 seems happy to me. I decided to not miss any exercise since my full day back on Tuesday and no beer drinking this Sunday for football in the morning, Angels in the afternoon and Ducks hockey at 5 PM. By Monday, I should be back at 183. Thanks Sassy and Hogan for making me eat all the food that you didnt touch. I hate to see brauts go to waste.... and porkchops.

12 lbs. to go until Diego!
Yeah, John...we forced the food and beer down ya!
Ok...the Cheesecake burrito was my fault ;D

Ratboy
09-28-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm new to this thread. I was at 175-178 [yeah it's not much] for about 2 years, but i've been unhappy about that weight. I tried to make a goal for myself of getting down to 160, there really wasn't a time frame set either.

I stopped eating fast food and stopped drinking soda about 3-4 weeks ago. I have a few other nasty habits I need to break (snacking and candy).

I'm currently about 168-170, only about a 5-8 lb difference.

I moved to Japan a little over a week ago, so I haven't been too active. Mostly just walking 1 place to another and esides the Mandatory PT sessions 3 times a week, I haven't done much activities.

Hopefully since i'm back in a location that is capable of bringing waves, i'll get back to surfing more.

Any tips on eating? I'm a big snacker and love candy, it's horrible. Like i said previously, I stopped drinking soda and do not eat fast food (besides subway) anymore.

My goal is 160 for now. 155 would be nice though.

Ratboy
09-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I also really dislike running. Bad knees run in the family, so I try not to slam them on the pavement.

I like swimming and surfing, but just haven't decided to break the ice and walk over to the gym to do so.

It's a new place for me, I need to get used to it first :P

edit:

I should add since I arrived in Japan, I've been eating rice with every meal. I'm not sure how good/bad that is.

I don't think eating is such a big thing for me, I just need to exercise/do activities more.

DB-Freak
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
If you REALLY want to lose weight, and not just talk about it, not just hope for it, that's the ticket. But you can't eat ANY bread, sugar, rice, pasta, nothing other than meat (any kind), fish, cheese and eggs. Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day. If you can't follow this plan for three weeks, you just don't wanna lose weight badly enough.

LMAO YOU GOT IT HORRIBLY WRONG MAN!!!

Jesus where the **** did you get your diet advice from?

broncocalijohn
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
BB,
I have lost all my weight doing the non fast food and much much less beer with working out 4 to 6 times a week and mostly on the treadmill. I eat pasta and bread all the time and have never had a problem except over OM weekend. Maybe your diet is for thsoe that are too lazy or too busy to exercise but I feel that help making you like your body when you see it more toned and not flabby from extra skin dripping down. You breath better and making goals like running a 5k a year later on working out does wonders for self confidence and self determination. While you are eating healthy, make yourself healthier and stronger. You might as well do it at the same time.

BroncoBuff
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
LMAO YOU GOT IT HORRIBLY WRONG MAN!!!

Jesus where the **** did you get your diet advice from?
You must be kidding, right? It's one thing if you disagree, it's another thing altogether to say "LMAO THAT'S HORRIBLY WRONG."

Sorry, but you're exposing yourself as lacking any serious knowledge of diet and nutrition. Low-carb diets are far more than just Atkins anymore. Ray Kurzweil (the synthesizer inventor), relied heavily on low-carb, low-sugar diet in his award-winning book "Fantastic Voyage- Live Long Enough to Live Forever" book:

http://www.futurehi.net/images/Fantastic_Voyage.jpg

And that's not all ... simple carbs like pasta, breads (except whole grain breads), rice, and all sugars, are becoming demonized more and more and more by serious diet plans: Ketogenic, SugarBusters, South Beach Diet, Anne Collins, The Zone Diet, Rosedale, Atkins and others. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, ferhevinsake the USDA completely re-shaped its venerable food pyramid to DE-accentuate simple carbohydrates.

Although "zero" carbs is not the best nutrition advice per se, it is also not at all dangerous to eliminate all carbs from your diet. With the exception of some vegetable fibers and proteins, carbs provide little if any real nutrition (though many vegetables are vitamin rich).

But we're talking about WEIGHT LOSS here, and the VERY FASTEST route to weight loss (save starvation or liquid diets) is carb-restricted diets. That's just fact. Even those who persist in criticizing low-carb diets readily admit users lose pounds quickly, instead they fall back on dire (and largely unsubstantiated) warnings of high cholesterol risks. (Click here and read under the heading "Diet Basics." http://www.everydiet.org/diet/fat-burning-diet .... See? Even low-carb diet competitors don't quarrel with the results anymore, it's just pointless. They argue other issues.)

You should really read up on this stuff before embarrassing yourself like that. Here, try these links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IEO0B2RbzUAC&pg=PA185&lpg=PA185&dq=low+carb+diets&source=web&ots=ywAPkdGLvN&sig=WQDp1hb0cspSvUTKV8MSoErBrfk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=11&ct=result .... this realy knocks down the myths about low-carb diets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet ... good facts here, read it please. This article also discusses high Glycemic-load foods, and how insulin levels spike and can cause health dangers.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 03:29 PM
You must be kidding, right? It's one thing if you disagree, it's another thing altogether to say "LMAO THAT'S HORRIBLY WRONG."

Sorry, but you're exposing yourself as lacking any serious knowledge of diet and nutrition. Low-carb diets are far more than just Atkins anymore. Ray Kurzweil (the synthesizer inventor), relied heavily on low-carb, low-sugar diet in his award-winning book "Fantastic Voyage- Live Long Enough to Live Forever" book:

http://www.futurehi.net/images/Fantastic_Voyage.jpg

And that's not all ... simple carbs like pasta, breads (except whole grain breads), rice, and all sugars, are becoming demonized more and more and more by serious diet plans: Ketogenic, SugarBusters, South Beach Diet, Anne Collins, The Zone Diet, Rosedale, Atkins and others. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, ferhevinsake the USDA completely re-shaped its venerable food pyramid to DE-accentuate simple carbohydrates.

Although "zero" carbs is not the best nutrition advice per se, it is also not at all dangerous to eliminate all carbs from your diet. With the exception of some vegetable fibers and proteins, carbs provide little if any real nutrition (though many vegetables are vitamin rich).

But we're talking about WEIGHT LOSS here, and the VERY FASTEST route to weight loss (save starvation or liquid diets) is carb-restricted diets. That's just fact. Even those who persist in criticizing low-carb diets readily admit users lose pounds quickly, instead they fall back on dire (and largely unsubstantiated) warnings of high cholesterol risks. (Click here and read under the heading "Diet Basics." http://www.everydiet.org/diet/fat-burning-diet .... See? Even low-carb diet competitors don't quarrel with the results anymore, it's just pointless. They argue other issues.)

You should really read up on this stuff before embarrassing yourself like that. Here, try these links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IEO0B2RbzUAC&pg=PA185&lpg=PA185&dq=low+carb+diets&source=web&ots=ywAPkdGLvN&sig=WQDp1hb0cspSvUTKV8MSoErBrfk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=11&ct=result .... this realy knocks down the myths about low-carb diets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet ... good facts here, read it please. This article also discusses high Glycemic-load foods, and how insulin levels spike and can cause health dangers.

You don't even know what my stance is.

I've known these nutritional facts long before you even read about them.

All these diets stem from the school of Paleolithic diet.

And people who don't even know how to follow these diets properly...all they do is lose muscle mass and energy.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day.

This is the part I was actually laughing at specifically....

Whose diet advice is this?

BroncoBuff
09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
BB,
I have lost all my weight doing the non fast food and much much less beer with working out 4 to 6 times a week and mostly on the treadmill. I eat pasta and bread all the time and have never had a problem except over OM weekend. Maybe your diet is for thsoe that are too lazy or too busy to exercise but I feel that help making you like your body when you see it more toned and not flabby from extra skin dripping down. You breath better and making goals like running a 5k a year later on working out does wonders for self confidence and self determination. While you are eating healthy, make yourself healthier and stronger. You might as well do it at the same time.
Lazy? Hmmm.... I'll just forget you said that bcj. ::)

But as I re-read your post, it sounds like you're arguing with yourself more than arguing with a low-carb diet. FYI, fast food is loaded with processed sugars and other simple carbohydrates. Fries are about 90% simple starchy carbs, buns, breading, sugars, sodas, etc... all processed sugars and starches galore. And I never said low-carb diet was the ONLY way to lose weight, I just correctly pointed out it's the FASTEST way. I don't disagree with you ... a person can lose lots of weight on a diet including some sugars and simple carbs, and exercising like you did. But I'm here to tell you, I lost about 42 pounds over 14 months exercising and cutting back on calories. But nine weeks ago I started Atkins and have lost more than 20 pounds since then. There is simply no other explanation.

(And btw - beer is L O - H O - H O A D E D with carbohydrates).

It's simple, really ... think about the SCIENCE of it: Human beings have been around and have evolved for about 10,000 years. Sugars and simple carbs have been around only maybe 150-200 years. Our metabolisms are more attuned to raw, unprocessed foods. No simple carbs of any kind. Fact is, ketosis and lipolysis are natural body states, not unusual at all.

BroncoBuff
09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
This is the part I was actually laughing at specifically....

Whose diet advice is this?
Mostly Atkins diet. But now SugarBusters, Fantastic Voyage Life-Extenders, Rosedale, The Zone and South Beach. Low-carb diets can be bad if you over-consume saturated fats ... but basically there's been no other risks identified with it. Hey, I don't get commissions from South Beach Diet books or anything, I've just read up on it and know it's worked remarkably well for me.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
John Berardi's tips

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Refined carb and simple sugar should be a sin if you want to lose weight.

GI-spike does make you vulnerable to fat storage...

But cutting all carb is not a good idea especially for someone who at least maintains a somewhat active lifestyle and jobs.

Can you somehow refer to the part where all those diets can say that you should only have at most 1 cup of veggies a day? Never heard it.

BroncoBuff
09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
And people who don't even know how to follow these diets properly...all they do is lose muscle mass and energy.
Yes yes yes .... your energy level dips the first 3-4 days, that's definitely true. The Atkins book explained this pretty well, and it turned out correctly for me: When the body gets used to burning glucose and sugars for energy all the time, and then you cut off the supply to zero, you do lose energy until your body adjusts. That was definitely true for me ... I started zero-carbs on a Monday, and I recall by Saturday I felt great.

As far as muscle mass, that might be true. I've had a tough time gaining much muscle mass even though I lift weights 2-3x a week for about a year. I also stationary bike 30-40 minutes (300-400 calories) 2-3x a week, but I lift before cardio as the experts advise, and I drink a protein drink right after. I don't think I do enough reps (3-6 sets of 8 reps each on 5-6 different machines 2x a week).

Sorry about the attitude, Smiling Elvis Freak, I felt kinda defensive, and for me at least Atkins has dropped about 20 pounds since mid-July.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
You need to keep a track of your loss in terms of muscle/fat/water mass.

A lot of weightloss that comes from diets like that are from muscle and water mass loss.

I would only say something like atkins is only "acceptable" to those who live a very very sedentary life style.

But weight loss is like living life. You gotta go through a lot of trial and error sessions to find your fit.

Good luck buff.

When I don't feel so lazy, I'll try to contribute to this thread with info and research instead of just talking from my high horse.

broncocalijohn
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
BB,
I put in that post lazy or too busy. I think you are suggesting to lose weight rapidly at a short amount of time. I am in it for the long haul so my body and mind get used to staying at a specific weight. This dieting to lose weight to "look good for my reunion" is great as a camouflauge but doesnt do anything in the long run. Cutting out fast food is no biggie if i still eat my normal 3 meals. Most people will gain their weight back. I have no excuse to gain it back unless I stop working out.

Sassy
09-29-2008, 06:55 PM
There's something to the carb thing though...I cut a lot of carbs out, lost 24 lbs. and even after I went back to eating more carbs I still kept most of the weight off.

DB-Freak
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
weight loss does not mean fat loss.

BroncoBuff
09-29-2008, 09:57 PM
There's something to the carb thing though...I cut a lot of carbs out, lost 24 lbs. and even after I went back to eating more carbs I still kept most of the weight off.
That is so awesome ... you must be very close to your ideal weight now.

I'm still about 30 pounds away from my ideal 225-230 weight. When you start as high as I did, it takes awhile.

BB, I put in that post lazy or too busy. I think you are suggesting to lose weight rapidly at a short amount of time. I am in it for the long haul so my body and mind get used to staying at a specific weight.
Well, since I actually AM lazy, I'm more sensitive to such a comment ::)

As far as the "long haul," I really don't know what to expect. Before I moved to Seattle in 2004, I had never been more than 15 pounds or so overweight in my life. Based on working at home at a desk mostly, I gained about 90 pounds in three years (had lunch delivered almost every day). The very definition of "letting yourself go." Anyway, I think I'm lucky because it's been a bit easier on me to lose because it was my first time overweight.

"The long run" remains to be seen, but I am pretty optimistic.

Jana®
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I greatly encourage everybody who wants to lose big chunks of weight to try Atkins. I started Atkins a couple months ago and started dropping fast. It's simple, just eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Nothing else for two-three weeks (or more, NO cheating: cheating starts the clock over at zero days). You can even eat LOTS and LOTS of these foods, all you want basically, and the pounds will fall off. I can't understand how anybody would not do that for a couple-three weeks.

I could not do Atkins. I tried it, and got sick, had no energy, and was a cranky bitch. My doctor told me under no circumstances not to cut carbs completely. she said that to lose weight we need a balanced diet, including carbs. I've cut out junk food, soda, fast food and just eat less and better. I added exercise and I've lost 73 pounds since the last day of February.

Incidentally, I want to lose weight, badly, and I've done it without Atkins. I know people who have done it and succeeded, but it definitely wasn't for me.

BroncoBuff
10-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow Jana, that's 10 pounds a month ... EXCELLENT!

Jana®
10-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you! :) Atkins worked for a lot of people, lucky them and I wish I was one of them. I tried all kinds of crash diets, and none of them did the trick for me. I found the old fashioned way worked for me, unfortunately. I was looking for the quick fix, and unfortunately, when you have 149 pounds to lose, a quick fix is not going to work. I put on way too much weight and am paying for it now. I'm halfway to my goal, and will do it. Right now, I just want to see a 1 in front of my weight! 6 more pounds and I will. I haven't seen that since 1994. That is all I am focusing on right now. Once I see that, I will work on my next goal, which is my goal weight. I think if I can keep up the pace I am on now, I should be able to reach my goal weight by May.

BroncoBuff
10-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Do you have before/after pics, Buff?
No "before picture" per se, but instead here's a photo we just took Friday (10/10). Me holding my size 48 waist jeans from 18 months ago. I've lost 64 pounds and 6-8 inches since then.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/97/80592124kj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
If you wanna look skinny, stand next to something tall and thin ;D

Jana®
10-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I have 4 pounds to go to reach my first goal and then I will post a before and "after" picture.

BroncoBuff
10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I have 4 pounds to go to reach my first goal and then I will post a before and "after" picture.
That is so awesome ... reaching your goal will coincide with Halloween. Maybe you can put together some kind of "before and after" costume.

missingnumber7
10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm down 15 lbs since I got back from Iraq.

missingswife
10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I have lost 12 inches off my body and down a few lbs but also 2 pants sizes in 25 days. Body for life eating and working out really works!
Congrats on all the weight loss guys!

BroncoBuff
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I think I'm gonna stop congratulating myself so much. I don't wanna take away from the accomplishment, but I had a LOT easier a time losing because I had never been overweight until 2004/05. Seriously overweight people - who've been that way since childhood - they have a brutal, brutal hill to climb. That's a rotten burden to be saddled with. My loss is just baby stuff compared to what they have to go through. I never shouldda got there in the first place.

Jana®
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
You're lucky, Buff. I started gaining weight when I was 14, and it was all uphill since then. I hit over 200 pounds when I was 19 years old and I am now 33. At the end of February, when I started my weight loss, I was 279 pounds. I am only 5'4" and I don't have a large bone structure. According to the charts I should weigh between 111-147 to be in the healthy weight range. My goal is to get to 130. I have two pounds to go and I will be back at the weight I was at when I was 19 years old. I've lost 78 pounds, and I have 71 pounds left to go to reach my ultimate goal. You are right, Buff. It IS a brutal battle, but the end result is definitely worth it. Especially when your health is at risk. And the end result is rewarding too. I've come a long way, but I still have a long way to go.

DB-Freak
10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Please don't push too hard Jana.

That is huge change for the body... Take your time.

Jana®
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I am. I'm impatient, but I'm not losing fast. I'm hoping to average 2 pounds a week. I've been around there, give or take, so if I stay on that track, I will be happy. As long as I keep seeing loss, then I will be okay.

Ramathorn
10-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I am 6'1 and weighed 205 last month. I started watching what I eat more (NO FAST FOOD) and drinking lots of water and tea. I went to my doctor 4 days ago and I weigh 194. 11 pounds, not to shabby. Im getting in shape for a physical for the ohio state highway patrol academy. My goal is to be down to 185 this time next month.

Spider
10-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I am down to 210 pounds ......... So damn skinny now I can fall through my own asshole and hang myself ;D

BroncoBuff
10-24-2008, 02:14 PM
You're lucky, Buff. I started gaining weight when I was 14, and it was all uphill since then. I hit over 200 pounds when I was 19 years old and I am now 33.
Exactly, your situation is through no fault of your own, while mine was just laziness and a busted give-a-damn. Your loss should be praised more than mine and those like me ... overcoming genetics is an amazing achievement.

Jana®
10-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh mine is also busted give a damn and fast food and Starbucks addiction too. The Bipolar Meds made me gain a ton of weight, but my eating habits did not help. Depression made me eat, I wanted to eat, and I just stuffed my face with everything. Now I can't eat much at all, I have no appetite and from being sick, it has helped my weight loss! Incidentally, I reached my first goal of 80 pounds weight loss a few days ago. I am officially under 200 pounds for the first time since 1994. When I saw the 199 on the scale, I almost cried!

Jana®
10-31-2008, 10:47 PM
I am 6'1 and weighed 205 last month. I started watching what I eat more (NO FAST FOOD) and drinking lots of water and tea. I went to my doctor 4 days ago and I weigh 194. 11 pounds, not to shabby. Im getting in shape for a physical for the ohio state highway patrol academy. My goal is to be down to 185 this time next month.

I think you can do it!!! Good luck! I started at 279 and I'm at 199 now.

Spider
11-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Iam blowing it .. got all the way down to 215 , now I am back to 220 and holding

11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Iam blowing it .. got all the way down to 215 , now I am back to 220 and holding

Well ****, I guess we're about the same. How tall are you?

Jana®
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I realized on Monday that I only have 16 pounds to go until I reac 100 pound weight loss. That made me VERY happy!

Spider
11-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Well ****, I guess we're about the same. How tall are you?

6 foot .......220 pounds but I have a 32 inch waist

Spider
11-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I realized on Monday that I only have 16 pounds to go until I reac 100 pound weight loss. That made me VERY happy!

hang in there .......... good job so far ......:D

Jana®
11-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Thank you!

Finger Roll
12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm just trying to gain muscle without gaining fat. Any tips. I'd like to keep my 29 inch waist since i'm short and have a small frame

12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm just trying to gain muscle without gaining fat. Any tips. I'd like to keep my 29 inch waist since i'm short and have a small frame

It's mostly diet then, and proper post-workout nutrition.

Check this out if you want to go really hardcore:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bo dybuilding/the_velocity_diet

stugotsII
12-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Isagenix...

Me and my wife did this. Amazing results.

Smiling Assassin27
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM

From personal experience, P90X. If you do the work, you get the results. Here's a buddy of mine's blog...

http://getrippedwithjosh.blogspot.com/

and pictures of his 90 day transformation..

http://forums.teambeachbody.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5082996357/m/3321050921

Finger Roll
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I take kenpo karate which did help me lose fat. Pilates is good too

Spider
12-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Bucking hay and digging post holes is one way I did it when I was younger ..... But I am a large frame man , I carried 250 pounds well ........

Hogan11
12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Nov. 4th I weighed in @ 204 lbs.
This AM, I weighed in @ 180 lbs.

I greatly reduced calorie intake, drinking water and black coffee instead of soda, staying away from fat when possible, working out and taking Dexatrim Max has been responsible for the loss. I'm shooting for 175 by the Diego game....size 34 would be nice to see again as well.

Sassy
12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

I greatly reduced calorie intake, drinking water and black coffee instead of soda, staying away from fat when possible, working out and taking Dexatrim Max has been responsible for the loss. I'm shooting for 175 by the Diego game....size 34 would be nice to see again as well.

Good job H!
Wish I could have done the same...although with clothes on at the doc today, it wasn't as much gained as I thought.

Jana®
12-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I started at 279 on February 38, 2008. As of Wednesday, December 10th, I weighed 190. I've lost 89 pounds and I only have 11 to go to reach 100 pounds lost.. and 60 to go to reach my final goal.

12-27-2008, 01:44 AM
pics!

Los Broncos
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Just joined L.A. Fitness gyms, I need to make a considerably effort to lose about 30-40 lbs.

Its a pretty nice place, any tips from the gym rats here?

Thanks in advance.

Sassy
01-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Ok...time to get on it.
I've been sluffing... ;D

15 to go!!!
MONDAY IS THE DAY!

Requiem
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, guys I'm so proud of all of you. Due to my Nephrotic Sydrome and Minimal Change disease, a bunch of **** went on with me and I went up to 212 pounds. I'm 175 or so right now -- and that's 37 pounds lost since December 15th or so. I have been doing over an hour to hour and a half of cardio a day and feel great as well. I'm seeing some good results as well. After I'm in complete remission, I can't wait to start something like P90X workout to end up getting in the best shape of my life and keeping it that way.

I'm so proud of all you! GREAT WORK!

Requiem
01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Any suggestions for some supplements to help burn fat and stuff like that? Fish oils, etc.? What stuff should I be looking for. :)

Spider
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow, guys I'm so proud of all of you. Due to my Nephrotic Sydrome and Minimal Change disease, a bunch of **** went on with me and I went up to 212 pounds. I'm 175 or so right now -- and that's 37 pounds lost since December 15th or so. I have been doing over an hour to hour and a half of cardio a day and feel great as well. I'm seeing some good results as well. After I'm in complete remission, I can't wait to start something like P90X workout to end up getting in the best shape of my life and keeping it that way.

I'm so proud of all you! GREAT WORK!

Congrats Bro .........

Los Broncos
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I joined the gym two weeks ago, started eating a lot better and I have lost 5 pounds.

I feel better and I know its only 5 but it just feels right.

Jason in LA
01-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Any suggestions for some supplements to help burn fat and stuff like that? Fish oils, etc.? What stuff should I be looking for. :)

I'd say that you should read up on proper diet and exercise, if you haven't already. A magazine that taught me a lot was Muscle & Fitness. It's a body building magazine that's geared towards the everyday guy. Iron Man and Flex are for the hard core bodybuilders, so I never really read those.

You need a sound diet before you think about supplements. My diet is very good, so I added a few supplements to help me out. After I workout I take some whey protein and creatine, and I take three table spoons of flaxseed oil a day. Most of the foods that I eat are very low in fat, so I get the bulk of my fat from flaxseed oil.

I'm getting good results. The only area that's giving me trouble is my lower abs, which gives a lot of guys problems. I'm going to keep at it and soon enough my six pack will be complete. My upper abs about coming along nicely, and my chest and arms are well defined.

As for P90X, it looks like a very sound program, and those informercials are one of the few that I actually believe. But $120 is a lot of money for a program that you can read about in magazines or online. That program looks very similar to the type of program that the actors in 300 were on. It's circuit training without much rest in between exercises. I know a lot about working out, so I personally wouldn't buy that program, but I will say that if you did buy it, it looks like you would get your moneys worth.

Jason in LA
01-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Just joined L.A. Fitness gyms, I need to make a considerably effort to lose about 30-40 lbs.

Its a pretty nice place, any tips from the gym rats here?

Thanks in advance.

Here are my workout programs. Maybe something like this can work for you.

I've gone by two different systems when I lift weights.

1. 3 days a week, hit all body parts once a week

2. 4 days a week, only compound movements, upper body and lower body twice a week.

When I've done three days a week I'll do chest, shoulders, and triceps on Monday, quads, lower back, and hamstrings on Wednesday, and upper back (lats), biceps and abs on Friday.

When I've done four days a week I'll do chest, back, and shoulders for my upper body day, and quads, lower back, hamstrings and abs for my lower body day. Upper and lower body gets worked out twice a week. My triceps and biceps will get a lot of work from working my chest and back.

I prefer the four day a week program, which is what I am normally on.

I always run three times a week, and I don't run on days that I lift. I've done distance running, but I really don't like it. I mostly do sprints. When I do distance I usually go for about 45 minutes.

Don Flamenco
01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Fitday is really good in counting calories. After a while, you don't need t log in your meals as much as you already know the general range of where your meal is gonna be in.

I lost about 50% of my body fat in the past year and have kept it off with proper diet and boxing. Before this, I was running 2-4 miles 5 days a week and was still over weight.

The hardest thing for me to do now is to eat enough calories during the day without messing up my fat/carb/protein ratio. I figure with my training, I should be eating 2,500 calories a day.

jhat01
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
If you guys want to try something different...Crossfit is where it's at. It's old fashioned movements involving pullups, box jumps, cleans etc. Check it out if you want..it will kick your ass and it's very addicting if you have a competitive streak in you. I just got started and i'm loving it

Los Broncos
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
If you guys want to try something different...Crossfit is where it's at. It's old fashioned movements involving pullups, box jumps, cleans etc. Check it out if you want..it will kick your ass and it's very addicting if you have a competitive streak in you. I just got started and i'm loving it

Thats what I'm doing now, stairs, pullups box jumps, its killing me but feels good.

Plus I wear my Broncos training camp shorts, makes me want to work harder.

Jana®
02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Dang guys, the Biggest Loser workout program is way cheaper than those other ones, lol.

I just joined 24 hour Fitness to get my ass in gear. I've slowed down a bit on my weight loss and it's pissed me off a bit. For my excuse I've been sick and in a lot of pain since September with my stomach issues so I haven't wanted to do **** for exercise. I haven't been on the treadmill or any major cardio until last night, but I DO walk home from work almost every day, which is 2.29 miles a day. Plus my job is pretty physical so I'm burning calories there too. I've been losing, but not like I was. I have lost 96 pounds so far. Tomorrow I meet with a personal trainer at 24 hour Fitness to get a workout program started, so the last 53 pounds will come off, woohoo! I have so much flab I need to work off. A girl doesn't go from 279 pounds to 183 without a bunch of flab, lol. I have 53 left to go and don't need to add MORE flab to it and don't need surgery that Kaiser said they would pay for! So, I'm going to try to work it off first. I can see my goal in my sight, and I will get there.

Great job to everyone here!!

Spider
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Dang guys, the Biggest Loser workout program is way cheaper than those other ones, lol.

I just joined 24 hour Fitness to get my ass in gear. I've slowed down a bit on my weight loss and it's pissed me off a bit. For my excuse I've been sick and in a lot of pain since September with my stomach issues so I haven't wanted to do **** for exercise. I haven't been on the treadmill or any major cardio until last night, but I DO walk home from work almost every day, which is 2.29 miles a day. Plus my job is pretty physical so I'm burning calories there too. I've been losing, but not like I was. I have lost 96 pounds so far. Tomorrow I meet with a personal trainer at 24 hour Fitness to get a workout program started, so the last 53 pounds will come off, woohoo! I have so much flab I need to work off. A girl doesn't go from 279 pounds to 183 without a bunch of flab, lol. I have 53 left to go and don't need to add MORE flab to it and don't need surgery that Kaiser said they would pay for! So, I'm going to try to work it off first. I can see my goal in my sight, and I will get there.

Great job to everyone here!!

congrats and thanks for the update ......

Jason in LA
02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I needed to take a body fat test. So I walked into this personal training spot and the guy gave me a test for free. But it was that test where you hold the body fat tester in your hands. I knew that it wasn't going to be an accurate test. Those things are a waste of time because they are way off. He types in my weight, height, and age, has me hold it, and the thing spits out 15.9%. He then tells me that according to my BMI that I'm overweight. I was looking at him like he can't even believe this BS. I wanted to take of my shirt and ask him if he still thought that I was 15.9%. My chest, arms, and upper abs are defined. It's just that my lower abs are slow to come around. I'd guess that I'm between 8-10% body fat. But 15.9%?!?! That's just dumb.

Circle Orange
02-08-2009, 04:00 PM
GHETTO DIET

What is needed:

Comfortable shoes
Attitude
A fair measure of stupidity
Medical coverage

STEP ONE: Have a friend drive you to the worst neighborhood in your area, preferably at night.
STEP TWO: Have said friend drop you off and speed away.
STEP THREE: Wander in completely unfamiliar streets and insult people. Curse, call their mother names, and give them the finger.
STEP FOUR: Run like hell.
STEP FIVE: Use speed and athleticism to stay alive. Dart between traffic, run through intersections, and dive over trash bins.
STEP SIX: Pray. Should you survive, weight loss is guaranteed. Successful candidates are known to lose ten pounds on the first session alone.

CAUTION: This diet has a high mortality rate. But if you succeed, you'll be skinny as a rail. Assuming you want to look like one. :clown:

Hogan11
02-08-2009, 07:06 PM

As of yesterday, 170 lbs. :yayaya:

Jana®
02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
GHETTO DIET

What is needed:

Comfortable shoes
Attitude
A fair measure of stupidity
Medical coverage

STEP ONE: Have a friend drive you to the worst neighborhood in your area, preferably at night.
STEP TWO: Have said friend drop you off and speed away.
STEP THREE: Wander in completely unfamiliar streets and insult people. Curse, call their mother names, and give them the finger.
STEP FOUR: Run like hell.
STEP FIVE: Use speed and athleticism to stay alive. Dart between traffic, run through intersections, and dive over trash bins.
STEP SIX: Pray. Should you survive, weight loss is guaranteed. Successful candidates are known to lose ten pounds on the first session alone.

CAUTION: This diet has a high mortality rate. But if you succeed, you'll be skinny as a rail. Assuming you want to look like one. :clown:

That would definitely work!:D

Jana®
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
congrats and thanks for the update ......

Thank you! I miss ya, btw. Not cool enough to venture out, are ya?

Los Broncos
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
So since I started working out I have lost ten ponnds.

I feel a little better, sitll eating pretty well, just a couple of slips ups with the sweets and fast food.

Spider
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Thank you! I miss ya, btw. Not cool enough to venture out, are ya?

;D I miss you to now that you dont have the man hate thing going on :wiggle:
I was in westy not long ago , Looks like I will be out here runnin I 95 for the next 3 weeks or so , but I will give a shout out when I am close to you ......

Spider
02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
So since I started working out I have lost ten ponnds.

I feel a little better, sitll eating pretty well, just a couple of slips ups with the sweets and fast food.

;D keep up the good work ....... it pays off when you get older

03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
So Bob has officially lost 100 pounds.

Suck on that.

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
So Bob has officially lost 100 pounds.

Suck on that.

Props....that is a lot of hard work.

Now make sure you don't get complacent and gain any of it back.

Jason in LA
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Well I've been having a tough time losing weight. It's hard to lose weight when you don't have much weight to lose. I changed up my workout and diet a couple months ago. I was 6' 187. I weighted myself today and I'm 178. My mid section still isn't as cut as I want it to be, and I still can't get rid of that little roll of fat on my lower abs. I guess that's what you get when you turn 30. I'm hoping a few more pounds off will get rid of it because I don't want to go under 170 pounds. Once I get this last little body fat off I'm going to change up my diet to add more muscle. I'm figuring 180 with around 6 or 7% body fat will be good.

03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Do the velocity diet, Jason.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I've been having a tough time losing weight. It's hard to lose weight when you don't have much weight to lose. I changed up my workout and diet a couple months ago. I was 6' 187. I weighted myself today and I'm 178. My mid section still isn't as cut as I want it to be, and I still can't get rid of that little roll of fat on my lower abs. I guess that's what you get when you turn 30. I'm hoping a few more pounds off will get rid of it because I don't want to go under 170 pounds. Once I get this last little body fat off I'm going to change up my diet to add more muscle. I'm figuring 180 with around 6 or 7% body fat will be good.

Are you aware how low 6 or 7% actually is in reality?

BF% sound a lot higher than they really are. 9% is extremely cut, in reality.

03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah 6 percent is like freaking Ryan Reynolds

http://www.drabbuh.com/chadsspace/images/misc/Ryan_Reynolds_blade3.jpg

DB-Freak
03-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I needed to take a body fat test. So I walked into this personal training spot and the guy gave me a test for free. But it was that test where you hold the body fat tester in your hands. I knew that it wasn't going to be an accurate test. Those things are a waste of time because they are way off. He types in my weight, height, and age, has me hold it, and the thing spits out 15.9%. He then tells me that according to my BMI that I'm overweight. I was looking at him like he can't even believe this BS. I wanted to take of my shirt and ask him if he still thought that I was 15.9%. My chest, arms, and upper abs are defined. It's just that my lower abs are slow to come around. I'd guess that I'm between 8-10% body fat. But 15.9%?!?! That's just dumb.

That sounds about right.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
That sounds about right.

Exactly. People rarely realize how low 10% actually is.

Hey, you body build right?

I'm starting a cut next week. Do you do Ketosis or HIIT?

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 07:36 AM

Might even be 8

Jason in LA
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I am aware of how low 6 to 7% body fat is. I'm not there yet, but I'm not 15.9%. That's just silly.

When I was at UCLA on the track team my body fat was 7.6%, which was the second highest on the sprint team. They all joked with me and called me fat. A lot of the guys were in the 4 to 5% range. I have more muscle now, but not much more body fat. The last time I took a reliable body fat test (the caliper test, which is a lot more accurate than the machine test) was a couple years back when I had gotten really lean, and I was at 8%. I'm not much bigger than I was then. I'd say that I'm heavier do to a little bit more muscle. I'm probably carrying a little bit more fat, but not much more.

If I'd take a guess I'd say that I was at about 10% body fat. 15.9% would be "soft". I'm not as cut as I'm working to be, but I'm certainly not soft.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I am aware of how low 6 to 7% body fat is. I'm not there yet, but I'm not 15.9%. That's just silly.

When I was at UCLA on the track team my body fat was 7.6%, which was the second highest on the sprint team. They all joked with me and called me fat. A lot of the guys were in the 4 to 5% range. I have more muscle now, but not much more body fat. The last time I took a reliable body fat test (the caliper test, which is a lot more accurate than the machine test) was a couple years back when I had gotten really lean, and I was at 8%. I'm not much bigger than I was then. I'd say that I'm heavier do to a little bit more muscle. I'm probably carrying a little bit more fat, but not much more.

If I'd take a guess I'd say that I was at about 10% body fat. 15.9% would be "soft". I'm not as cut as I'm working to be, but I'm certainly not soft.

15.9% isn't nearly as soft as you're thinking.

Throw up a pic on a bodybuilding forum. Some people can visually estimate within 2% really well.

03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Lower than 4 percent is extremely dangerous.

Competitive body builders only maintain 3 percent for a few hours for shows. In fact, they even get dehydrated so they can get a "dry cut."

Very, very dangerous.

Jason in LA
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM

One website has an interview with Reynolds. Claims that he was down to 3% body fat for that movie. I'm not sure if that's 3% in that photo, but I'd say that's lower than 8%.

http://www.sixpacknow.com/ryan_reynolds_workout.html

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Lower than 4 percent is extremely dangerous.

Competitive body builders only maintain 3 percent for a few hours for shows. In fact, they even get dehydrated so they can get a "dry cut."

Very, very dangerous.

When I used to wrestle, we had to have parents sign waivers for anything under 6%.

My metabolism keeps me naturally well cut, and even then I never dipped below 6. Nor in the Marines when I was doing 46 pull ups. And not now at the end of cut cycles.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
This guy finished his cut at 7%

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/Final_Results_m.jpg

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Currently down to 4-5%

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2008/09/30/249677/profilepic/2515742orig.jpg

Jason in LA
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Do the velocity diet, Jason.

I just read up on it. It looks like it would work, but I'm not going to try it at this point. I'm frustrated with my results, but only because they aren't coming fast enough. I am getting results. I guess I'm just being impatient.

My calorie intake is about the same as the velocity. That diet has a higher percentage of protein and a lower percentage of carbs than mine. The fat is about the same. I have been thinking about cutting the carbs a little more and replacing them with more protein. Not by a whole lot though.

The biggest difference between my diet and the velocity diet is that my diet consists of food. That diet for the first months is pretty much five shakes a day. I plugged in my numbers on their website and it spat out what I should be taking, and it told me that all that would cost $526 for the first month. Yeah, I'll stick to what I'm doing. The weight loss is slow, or just not fast enough, but I have lost weight and become more lean. I'm not too far from where I really want to be.

If I don't achieve my goals then maybe I'll give that diet a try.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Currently down to 4-5%

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2008/09/30/249677/profilepic/2515742orig.jpg

THAT'S YOU?!

I was WAY off..... :~ohyah!:

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
THAT'S YOU?!

I was WAY off..... :~ohyah!:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm white.

GreatBronco16
03-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Well let me chime in. About 2 months ago, I had some blood work done, and I was told my cholestrol was high, triglycerides were high, and my good cholestrol was low. So I went on a diet to try to improve these. Now I don't think I was really over-weight by any means. 5'10 and 186lbs. Well all I've really done is cut out the fast food, and pay attention to the cholestrol in the foods I eat. Well I'm down to 172lbs now, and my waist is down from 36 to 34. I haven't been working out yet, I need to at some point though cause that will help with my good cholestrol. I go for my check up next month in April to find out what everything is at. Hopefully, I won't have to go on any meds to help. I'm too young to start becoming a pill popper.

Just thought I'd add mine. :D

03-20-2009, 02:46 AM
This guy finished his cut at 7%

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/Final_Results_m.jpg

I would be shocked if he was not on the v-diet.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 05:07 AM
I would be shocked if he was not on the v-diet.

Ketosis and HIIT. Strict with his diet, supplemented with BCAAs and a little boost for yellow bullet (ephedra, green tea extract and caffeine)

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been looking for a good ephedra product. That stuff was awesome. Problem was too many people were taking way more than the recommended dosage. That's not a good idea. But when I took only one dosage, like the label says, I never had a problem. Once I did accidentally take twice the amount, and I had the jitters really bad. That was kind of interesting.

I'm going to give yellow bullet a try.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
I've been looking for a good ephedra product. That stuff was awesome. Problem was too many people were taking way more than the recommended dosage. That's not a good idea. But when I took only one dosage, like the label says, I never had a problem. Once I did accidentally take twice the amount, and I had the jitters really bad. That was kind of interesting.

I'm going to give yellow bullet a try.

The most "effective" weight loss supps will only increase your metabolism 3%.

Make sure your diet and workouts are on track.

An hour walk in the morning, HIIT pre work out, and then weights, along with smart, GOOD eating, are the solutions to what you want to achieve, yellow bullet should only be counted on for an extra nudge.

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 11:57 AM
My diet and workout programs are very good, and I'm consistent with it. I do sprint workouts three times a week. I'm doing the workouts that I used to do when I ran track at UCLA. About a month ago I bought a stop watch and some track shoes and I've watched my times drop a lot. I'm now thinking about running in some all comers meets. My goal would be to run the 100 in the 11 second range, and the 200 in the 22 second range. I'm certainly not about to run the times I did in high school. I'm 32 and haven't run in a track meet in 12 years. But the goals that I've set are obtainable.

My workouts consist of sprints from 50 meters up to 300 meters. It's really tough.

I normally lift weights. I like doing a 4 day a week program. Upper body twice a week and lower body twice a week. About a month ago I decided to change it up and now I'm doing body weight exercises at the park. Doing circuit training. A own spin on the 300 workout. I'll start with pull ups, then one leg squats, then push ups with my feet elevated, then lunges, then hanging knee lifts, then box jumps (on bleacher benches). The rest time between each exercise is only 15 seconds. It's very tough. I've built up to the point that I'm doing 20 reps on the pull ups, and 25 reps for everything else. I'm going to stick with this for another month before going back to the weights.

As far as my diet, I'm taking in about 1,600 calories a day. I'm thinking about upping my protein and lowering my carbs. I'm taking in about 160 grams of protein (I'm at 178 lbs).

So everything is pretty clean. I don't use supplements as a "magic pill". They can only enhance a good program.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
My diet and workout programs are very good, and I'm consistent with it. I do sprint workouts three times a week. I'm doing the workouts that I used to do when I ran track at UCLA. About a month ago I bought a stop watch and some track shoes and I've watched my times drop a lot. I'm now thinking about running in some all comers meets. My goal would be to run the 100 in the 11 second range, and the 200 in the 22 second range. I'm certainly not about to run the times I did in high school. I'm 32 and haven't run in a track meet in 12 years. But the goals that I've set are obtainable.

My workouts consist of sprints from 50 meters up to 300 meters. It's really tough.

I normally lift weights. I like doing a 4 day a week program. Upper body twice a week and lower body twice a week. About a month ago I decided to change it up and now I'm doing body weight exercises at the park. Doing circuit training. A own spin on the 300 workout. I'll start with pull ups, then one leg squats, then push ups with my feet elevated, then lunges, then hanging knee lifts, then box jumps (on bleacher benches). The rest time between each exercise is only 15 seconds. It's very tough. I've built up to the point that I'm doing 20 reps on the pull ups, and 25 reps for everything else. I'm going to stick with this for another month before going back to the weights.

As far as my diet, I'm taking in about 1,600 calories a day. I'm thinking about upping my protein and lowering my carbs. I'm taking in about 160 grams of protein (I'm at 178 lbs).

So everything is pretty clean. I don't use supplements as a "magic pill". They can only enhance a good program.

You have to be way below maintenance levels at that weight and only 1600 calories a day.

Also, you may want to adjust your work out. Remember you're older now.

Unless you've cut out carbs, the majority of your sprint work is probably burning those instead of fat calories. Maybe consider a longer regimine?

If I remember correctly, and I might be off, the first 20 minutes of a cardio workout burn carb calories, and after it switches to fat. So walking 4.2 miles is more effective than running it, unless you're on a low carb intake.

I'd encourage you to not listen to me, OR yourself, and do as much research as you can here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

They have many different sections for fat loss, nutrition, cutting, supps, routines, etc.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm 5'7", 162, but my body fat is at 8 percent. I can barely bench my weight, but I ran a 4.55 40 once in high school, and I recently ran a 4:17 mile. The last time I took my blood pressure it was 112/72 and my resting heart rate was 48. (When I started training, I also found it a lot easier to get up in the morning, and had more energy through the day, and found it much easier to go to sleep at night.)

From the research I’ve done, this is the best I can do:

Scratch weightloss supplements and focus on supplements that help build you up, not ones that simply increase your heart rate. I supplement with L-Tyrosine, Glutamine, Myoplex Whey (technically not strictly vegetarian – comes from egg whites), Linolec Acid, flax seed oil.

I went vegetarian in 2005 and I stay away from refined sugar, flour, and anything fried (except the occasional Tofu stir-fry). I load up on complex carbs and protein.

Get plenty of protein from nuts, legumes, soy, etc. / Calcium from soy, yogurt, cheese / Iron from leafy greens. Boiled sweet potatoes are GREAT for a hour pre-workout carb boost. Oatmeal is unbelievably healthy for you.

EAT LEGUMES – things like chickpeas and lentils are ridiculously healthy for you, especially vegetarians because they’re loaded with protein and iron.
EAT BERRIES – Among the fruits, the berries - blueberries, raspberries – are the ones most condensed with nutrients. They also have antioxidants to help rebuild your immune system when it breaks down from working out.
EAT NUTS – especially almonds and flax seeds, because they’re loaded with Omega fats – yes, it’s fat, but the slower kind that lubricates your joints and cleans out bad fat.

Fruits and vegetables are loaded with Vitamins. Try to get enough of all of them by mixing up colors of fruit. (The brighter the color, the healthier the fruit/veggie). Get a good balance of colors: orange for beta-carotene (yams/carrots), green for iron (spinach, broccoli), etc…

They say “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”…. But I say “a banana a day keeps the doctor away” – Bananas are loaded with fiber and electrolytes that slow your digestive process and help you retain water when working out. They also have complex sugars and glucose, which is good for a short energy boost.

Try to get less than 50 grams of fat per day, and check the label – no saturated fats or trans fats. Omega fats are okay.

Also, it varies by person, but I get about: 3,000 calories, 100 grams of protein, over 500 carbs (a lot, I know), 70 grams of fiber… again, you have to balance the TYPE of calories, protein (whey, soy, animal), carbs (simple, complex), and Fiber (soluble, insoluble)

Work outs…

I plan on running the Boston marathon in 2010 and the Bolder-Boulder this year... what I do:

Mornings:
Sunday - nothing in the morning
Monday - day off
Tuesday - Navy mandatory PT: 45 minutes of cardio/push ups/pullups/situps mix
Wednesday - nothing in the morning
Thursday: Navy mandatory PT: 45 minutes straight of calisthenics including 2 miles of running.
Friday Navy mandatory PT: alternate between 1 hour of kick boxing and spinning
Saturday: Hockey practice - about 1-2 hours of skating drills and pickup

Evening:
Sunday: Hockey games, I usually log about 24 min of ice time, plus an 8-minute warmup
Monday: Day off - sports massage, if I don't have class (but I haven’t done it in a while)
Tuesday: 10k (6.1 mile run, at 7mph)
Wednesday: 4 mile run @ easy pace (recovery day)
Thursday: speed work - 400yd sprints w/100 yard jogs in between on a track. I usually only go about 4-6 miles, depending on varying alternates.
Friday: long run (sometimes half-marathon - 13.1 miles .. I do about 8:30 – nothing too intense)
Saturday: cross training - alternate weeks between upper-lower body on weight machines. I go for toning in the upper to try and lower my resistance, and strength in the lower. I hate these days because I don’t enjoy lifting and I get restless during the 1-hour stretch routine.

Although the Navy has been awful at nutrition (they’re food is horribly unhealthy, and until recently they took money out of my paycheck to pay for it) they have been very good at letting me off work to PT.

This will get you in shape. I didn’t lose that much weight (about 15 lbs after 7 months), but I DRASTICALLY cut my body fat. If you wanna be like a rock, I hope this helps.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

I wish I could look like that. I can't get that big... I can cut up like that, but not at that size.

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
You have to be way below maintenance levels at that weight and only 1600 calories a day.

Also, you may want to adjust your work out. Remember you're older now.

Unless you've cut out carbs, the majority of your sprint work is probably burning those instead of fat calories. Maybe consider a longer regimine?

If I remember correctly, and I might be off, the first 20 minutes of a cardio workout burn carb calories, and after it switches to fat. So walking 4.2 miles is more effective than running it, unless you're on a low carb intake.

I'd encourage you to not listen to me, OR yourself, and do as much research as you can here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

They have many different sections for fat loss, nutrition, cutting, supps, routines, etc.

I got conflicting information on the amount of calories that I should be taking from different websites. I few websites said that I should be taking in about 1900 calories to maintain my weight, when I was at 187 lbs. So I went with 1600 calories a day. I've dropped 9 pounds since then. I only have a few more to go.

I've also read that the first 20 minutes of a distance run is burning carbs, and that the body doesn't switch over to fat burning mode until after that. When I used to do distance running I'd go on 40-45 minute runs. But I really hate running distance. I'm a sprinter and I feel that my body responds better to that. Look at a sprinters body compared to a long distance runners body. I want the sprinters body. They are not burning as much body fat during their workout as a distance runner is, but they are doing workouts that strengthen the body, speed up the metabolism, and spares muscle, which in turn burns fat.

Yeah, I'm older, but I'm not using that as an excuse ;D. Actually, I'd say the difference is now than when I was younger is that my body doesn't recover as quick, so I don't sprint on back-to-back days anymore. My legs are too sore on the second day, and then I have to take too many days off for them to recover so I can sprint again.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I got conflicting information on the amount of calories that I should be taking from different websites. I few websites said that I should be taking in about 1900 calories to maintain my weight, when I was at 187 lbs. So I went with 1600 calories a day. I've dropped 9 pounds since then. I only have a few more to go.

I've also read that the first 20 minutes of a distance run is burning carbs, and that the body doesn't switch over to fat burning mode until after that. When I used to do distance running I'd go on 40-45 minute runs. But I really hate running distance. I'm a sprinter and I feel that my body responds better to that. Look at a sprinters body compared to a long distance runners body. I want the sprinters body. They are not burning as much body fat during their workout as a distance runner is, but they are doing workouts that strengthen the body, speed up the metabolism, and spares muscle, which in turn burns fat.

Yeah, I'm older, but I'm not using that as an excuse ;D. Actually, I'd say the difference is now than when I was younger is that my body doesn't recover as quick, so I don't sprint on back-to-back days anymore. My legs are too sore on the second day, and then I have to take too many days off for them to recover so I can sprint again.

I HIGHLY recommend you follow the link that I sent you.

The search mode is your friend.

I think you can learn a TON that way and make much more significant progress. I realize you've dropped 9 lbs that way, but do you 1 rep maxes in benches, squats, deadlifts, etc, to guage any strength loss?

At that caloric intake, I would NOT be surprised if you lost 4-5 lbs fat, and the rest in muscle.

mr007
03-20-2009, 02:13 PM

I think you can learn a TON that way and make much more significant progress. I realize you've dropped 9 lbs that way, but do you 1 rep maxes in benches, squats, deadlifts, etc, to guage any strength loss?

At that caloric intake, I would NOT be surprised if you lost 4-5 lbs fat, and the rest in muscle.

So I just randomly decided to read this and kinda just skimmed a few pages and the last page.

Based on the amount of activity you are doing, there is no way in hell 1600 calories is enough to eat on a daily basis. A proper diet is key in boosting metabolism and if you're working out multiple times a week and running, you should probably be closer to 2500-3k calories to build metabolism and lean muscle mass.

Know that breakfast is your most important meal and should be your largest meal, both carb and calorie wise. I'm pretty steady at 6% body fat and have 1k calories by 9AM on most days. It obviously depends on how much you're working out and your metabolism, but caloric intake is just one thing you should be looking at. You can eat 1500 calories of food that is going to enhance your body and health or 1500 calories of **** that is going to deplete your energy and other negative side effects.

A good diet starts with limiting the calories that don't really have nutritional benefits.

Non whole-wheat based starches:

Any breads or pastas whose first ingredient isn't "whole wheat or stone ground whole wheat flour."

Unnecessary sugars: - Pretty much candy, ice cream, sugar itself (use 0 calorie sugar substitutes), soda (you should never drink this crap), etc

Unnecessary fats: -Red meat (for the most part), mayo, salad dressing, any fried food, sausages, etc.

The healthy stuff: - Whole wheat breads and pastas, lean meats (turkey, chicken, tuna), healthy fats - Omegas from fish - salmon, fatty tuna, etc - avocado, unsalted peanut butter or nuts, almonds, fat-free milk etc.

Lots of people put too much emphasis on diets that really end up hurting your body more than they help. Getting fats is just as important as getting proteins and carbs, they just have to be the right kind!

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM

I hear what you're saying, but I've read a number of bodybuilding publications, and have been on a number of bodybuilding websites and forums. I'm not just making this stuff up as I go. I've done a lot of research already.

I have lost weight and have become more cut. So I am getting the desired results. I'm just being impatient.

9 pounds of weight loss doesn't sound like much. But when you're already pretty lean, it's tough to lose 9 pounds. Somebody who is 100 pounds overweight can lose pounds in chunks. I wasn't even overweight when I started, so the pounds are going to be tough to get rid of.

As far as strength goes, I haven't tested my one rep max. When I was on weights I'd do mostly 8-12 reps. Each week I felt stronger and could do more reps or add more weight. So I wasn't getting weaker. Now that I've switched to body weight workouts, I'm still progressing. I'm doing more reps per exercise than when I started. And on the track my times are dropping. The first time I ran a timed 300 meter dash I ran it in 45.5 seconds. That was about a month ago. Last week I ran a 39.2. My times in the 200 and 100 have dropped.

So the workout program is working. That layer of fat on my lower abs is the only trouble spot. But that's the trouble spot for men, and it is the last thing to shape up.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
So I just randomly decided to read this and kinda just skimmed a few pages and the last page.

Based on the amount of activity you are doing, there is no way in hell 1600 calories is enough to eat on a daily basis. A proper diet is key in boosting metabolism and if you're working out multiple times a week and running, you should probably be closer to 2500-3k calories to build metabolism and lean muscle mass.

Know that breakfast is your most important meal and should be your largest meal, both carb and calorie wise. I'm pretty steady at 6% body fat and have 1k calories by 9AM on most days. It obviously depends on how much you're working out and your metabolism, but caloric intake is just one thing you should be looking at. You can eat 1500 calories of food that is going to enhance your body and health or 1500 calories of **** that is going to deplete your energy and other negative side effects.

A good diet starts with limiting the calories that don't really have nutritional benefits.

Non whole-wheat based starches:

Any breads or pastas whose first ingredient isn't "whole wheat or stone ground whole wheat flour."

Unnecessary sugars: - Pretty much candy, ice cream, sugar itself (use 0 calorie sugar substitutes), soda (you should never drink this crap), etc

Unnecessary fats: -Red meat (for the most part), mayo, salad dressing, any fried food, sausages, etc.

The healthy stuff: - Whole wheat breads and pastas, lean meats (turkey, chicken, tuna), healthy fats - Omegas from fish - salmon, fatty tuna, etc - avocado, unsalted peanut butter or nuts, almonds, fat-free milk etc.

Lots of people put too much emphasis on diets that really end up hurting your body more than they help. Getting fats is just as important as getting proteins and carbs, they just have to be the right kind!

This is precisely what I'm saying (albeit more specific). Sadly, it's like talking to a wall.

You ever use any PH's or cycle the real stuff, or just natural?

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I've read a number of bodybuilding publications, and have been on a number of bodybuilding websites and forums. I'm not just making this stuff up as I go. I've done a lot of research already.

Not to be a dick, but you clearly haven't...

elsid13
03-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have good 8 week exercise plan. My routine is getting old I need to change it up to continue to stay in shape.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have good 8 week exercise plan. My routine is getting old I need to change it up to continue to stay in shape.

Goals?

elsid13
03-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Goals?

Maint size and build strength. My upper body strength is ok not great (I can only do 10-15 pulls up) and I want to continue to work on that.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Maint size and build strength. My upper body strength is ok not great (I can only do 10-15 pulls up) and I want to continue to work on that.

Probably the best resource for what you want:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

My personal bulking work out:

Monday:
Leg Press 5x5
Flat Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Seated Rows 5x5
Straight bar curls 3x8
Chest flies 3x8

Wednesday:
Incline Bench 5x5
Lat Pull downs (underhand) 5x5
Leg Extensions and curls 3x8 (each)

Friday:
Deadlifts 1x5
Flat Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Seated Rows 5x5
Straight bar curls 3x8
Chest flies 3x8

But you should stick to the workout in the link. Mine is very close to overtraining, but gives me personally the best results, and the only reason I don't squat is busted knees.

mr007
03-20-2009, 08:01 PM
One website has an interview with Reynolds. Claims that he was down to 3% body fat for that movie. I'm not sure if that's 3% in that photo, but I'd say that's lower than 8%.

http://www.sixpacknow.com/ryan_reynolds_workout.html

I doubt he went down to 3% body fat. That is very very dangerous and based on that picture he's probably between 6-8. In my opinion, 6% is pretty much the ideal body fat for men, and you're really getting into trouble when you're 4% or lower.

mr007
03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
This is precisely what I'm saying (albeit more specific). Sadly, it's like talking to a wall.

You ever use any PH's or cycle the real stuff, or just natural?

Sorry Rev not familiar with that term, what're you referring to?

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry Rev not familiar with that term, what're you referring to?

Pro hormones/designer steroids or actual steroids.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I doubt he went down to 3% body fat. That is very very dangerous and based on that picture he's probably between 6-8. In my opinion, 6% is pretty much the ideal body fat for men, and you're really getting into trouble when you're 4% or lower.

Earlier:

Might even be 8

Thanks for all the verification :thumbsup:

mr007
03-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro hormones/designer steroids or actual steroids.

Ohh, nope never gone near the stuff, so all natural.

After watching Bigger, Faster, Stronger I know I have to work harder than some that do though =).

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Not to be a dick, but you clearly haven't...

Wow, so because I have a different approach it means that I haven't done my research? Man, you're full of yourself. Just to let you know, while at UCLA I took Physiological Science: Diet and Exercise. Which is the science of diet and exercise. I received an A in that class. We had a project where we had to log in every calorie that we ate, and note what type of calorie it was. We also had to log in any exercise that we did, then explain what affect that the calories and exercise had on the body.

You told me that I'm losing muscle. How you came to that conclusion, I don't know. You also told me that I should do distance running.

But wait, all the exercises that I'm doing is anaerobic. Anaerobic is anything that is very intense while lasting less than 2 minutes. Which would be lifting weights, or sprinting. Which is what I do. That's all I'm doing. Anaerobic exercises promotes muscle growth.

But you suggested that I start doing distance running, which is aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise will burn more fat calories during the workout, but the longer your aerobic exercise is, the more muscle you will lose. That's why many people are switching over to sprints and interval training. They want to save their muscle. Like I said before, look at a 100 meter runner compared to a distance runner. I don't want to look like a distance runner. Sprinters are well defined, which is the look that I'm am working towards.

As for my diet, I'm within the range of the recommended amount of protein that a person doing high intensity exercises should be taking. The bulk of the calories that I've cut comes from carbs. And I'm taking flax seed oil to make sure I'm getting enough fat in my diet.

So my entire workout program is designed to promote muscle growth, and I've kept my protein intake up. I'm stronger, faster, and looking in the mirror, I'm more cut. But you want to tell me that I'm doing it all wrong and I'm not getting good results? And that I'm losing muscle? You're telling me that just because I have a different approach than you? That is just silly.

If you ask several people who are in great shape how they developed that body, you'd get several different answers. I wouldn't knock your workout program, which obviously is different from mine. The way I see it, if somebody comes up with a sound diet and exercise program that is based on research, and they gave 100% to that program, they'll get results.

And one more thing about how much research I've done. I have a stack of Muscle & Fitness magazines. I read Muscle Media every month before they went out of business (I think that's what happened to them). I've read Muscle Mag, Iron Man, and Flex, but didn't care for those magazines because they were geared toward the hard core bodybuilder. I'm not trying to get that damn big.

Just because I've come up with different conclusions and different approaches than you doesn't mean that I haven't done my research.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow.

I had no idea you were this blatantly ignorant.

Good luck.

mr007
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey Jason,

If 1600 calories is working for you, go for it. One thing I would recommend is if you're feeling fatigued, you may want to re-evaluate your diet and add some calorie and nutrient rich foods. If that's not the case, then no worries!

Jason in LA
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow.

I had no idea you were this blatantly ignorant.

Good luck.

Wow, you really are a dick. Instead of debating my points, you just go to name calling. Yeah, that's intelligent. That's an easy way avoiding the debate. I always view that as a weakness in a person's ability to argue a point.

One more point. I said that I was going to compete in all comers meets, running the 100 and 200, and you tell me to stop doing sprints and switch to distance running. Yeah, that's pretty smart. Distance running is going to help me compete in the 100 and 200.

I think I'm going to stick to my approach and avoid any advice from you. My approach is working.

TheReverend
03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow, you really are a dick. Instead of debating my points, you just go to name calling. Yeah, that's intelligent. That's an easy way avoiding the debate. I always view that as a weakness in a person's ability to argue a point.

One more point. I said that I was going to compete in all comers meets, running the 100 and 200, and you tell me to stop doing sprints and switch to distance running. Yeah, that's pretty smart. Distance running is going to help me compete in the 100 and 200.

I think I'm going to stick to my approach and avoid any advice from you. My approach is working.

Debating your points? You don't have a single ****ing point! All you have is anecdotal evidence. Nothing showing what may be happening to your strength.

So here's some more anecdotal evidence for you, from me: You're a retard.

Not sure if anyone has ever told you, but muscle is a lot denser than fat, so it's harder to visually observe. So if you lose 9 lbs, and your basis for determining your "fat loss" is to take a look in the mirror, well you're retarded.

Next, my basal metabolic rate is 1900 calories a day, and I'm not much bigger than you.

Do you know what that means?

That means at 1600 calories a day, I'd still be losing weight in a ****ing coma.

Stick to what's "working for you", just don't claim you've done ANY research, because you haven't. That's clear.

Spider
03-21-2009, 03:02 AM
If it helps , I am still holding 220 pounds ........

03-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Spider, you're fatter than me. Congrats.

Spider
03-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Spider, you're fatter than me. Congrats.

Fat ? LOL you **** I wear a 34 inch Wrangler jean . I dont lift weights or pump chemicals into my body , I lug around 90 pound chains Lift driving ramps , Blue collar work .......... I am guessing you lost weight by brushing your teeth and shaving the hair off your legs

03-21-2009, 03:29 AM
So sorry Spider. Mix in a salad every now and again.

Spider
03-21-2009, 03:41 AM
So sorry Spider. Mix in a salad every now and again.

LOL sorry for what ? A salad ? you poosy .......... This isnt a gym , where you can lift perfectly balanced weights , Or work out with some machine that has glorified rubber bands on it .........you would wilt 2 hours with my job :rofl:

03-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I spent 5 hours shoveling manure last week you hick. Don't preach to me.

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Ohh, nope never gone near the stuff, so all natural.

After watching Bigger, Faster, Stronger I know I have to work harder than some that do though =).

If/when you've peaked, you might want to consider Epistane/Havoc. It's mild, and I personally had no sides aside from really bad back pumps 3 weeks in that were my fault for not having my cycle support 100% where it should've been. I tried getting by on the Taurine in my whey, and not supplementing another 4grams, along with another gallon of water a day.

The results are pretty dramatic though.

mr007
03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
If/when you've peaked, you might want to consider Epistane/Havoc. It's mild, and I personally had no sides aside from really bad back pumps 3 weeks in that were my fault for not having my cycle support 100% where it should've been. I tried getting by on the Taurine in my whey, and not supplementing another 4grams, along with another gallon of water a day.

The results are pretty dramatic though.

Yeah I can see how stuff like that would help, but I'm not interested in getting gains anymore. Pretty much just staying where I'm at and getting a little more lean if I want by taking some time off drinking now and then.

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah I can see how stuff like that would help, but I'm not interested in getting gains anymore. Pretty much just staying where I'm at and getting a little more lean if I want by taking some time off drinking now and then.

What's your height/weight?

mr007
03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
5'8" in between 150-155.

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
5'8" in between 150-155.

Did not see that comin, midget!

Kidding!

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Btw, that should also serve an important lesson for this entire thread.

You're 150-155 lbs, 6% BF, and I'd guess you still take in 3K+ cals a day because you're doing it right.

mr007
03-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Did not see that comin, midget!

Kidding!

Haha **** off. Yeah I get that same **** from my friends all the time.

Btw, that should also serve an important lesson for this entire thread.

You're 150-155 lbs, 6% BF, and I'd guess you still take in 3K+ cals a day because you're doing it right.

I take in a significant amount of calories and as previously mentioned the types of foods generating those calories make a significant difference.

In my opinion, you can't be working out intensely and consistently without taking in a lot food.

As you've stated previously, you're more likely shedding a lot of muscle tissue if you're doing low calories etc... all those diets are pretty much bs and while you may lose more weight in the beginning, you end up screwing your body up in the end since it thinks it's starving due to lack of nutrients.

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Haha **** off. Yeah I get that same **** from my friends all the time.

I take in a significant amount of calories and as previously mentioned the types of foods generating those calories make a significant difference.

In my opinion, you can't be working out intensely and consistently without taking in a lot food.

As you've stated previously, you're more likely shedding a lot of muscle tissue if you're doing low calories etc... all those diets are pretty much bs and while you may lose more weight in the beginning, you end up screwing your body up in the end since it thinks it's starving due to lack of nutrients.

On my bulks, I do a MINIMUM of 5k calories. I actually have to mix in cooking oils with every meal to get there. And it's still impossible to gain an ounce of fat if you're working out and eating the right foods at the right times properly.

Spider
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I spent 5 hours shoveling manure last week you hick. Don't preach to me.

LOL if Shoveling manure is a term for posting Bull**** like Done deal on WPI , then I will believe you :rofl: other then that ,1 day 5 hours ......... Hope you didnt hurt yourself :rofl:

03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
It's nice that you think manual labor is such a higher calling. Maybe if you weren't such a dumb mother****er who has succeeded lately at getting into trouble with the law you could hire someone to do it for you.

But as the song goes, you may grow up to be a mule.

Spider
03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
It's nice that you think manual labor is such a higher calling. Maybe if you weren't such a dumb mother****er who has succeeded lately at getting into trouble with the law you could hire someone to do it for you.

But as the song goes, you may grow up to be a mule.

Is that a done deal ? goofy bastard ......