PDA

View Full Version : The OrangeMane WEIGHT LOSS Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

BroncoBuff
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Big Guy ... Billy Clyde Puckett?

works for me.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

296 pounds today ... I'm droppin' em like bad habits! 25 pounds in 2 months 10 days.

smalltowngrll
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Right on!!

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Big Guy ... Billy Clyde Puckett?

works for me.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

296 pounds today ... I'm droppin' em like bad habits! 25 pounds in 2 months 10 days.

Semi Tough is the funniest, laugh out loud book ever written.

Great job BB

smalltowngrll
06-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Semi Tough is the funniest, laugh out loud book ever written.

Great job BB

Ok, you are not permitted to change your avatar now! Otherwise, I'll never know who you are!! LOL

BroncoBuff
06-19-2007, 01:21 AM
LOL That's how I knew who it was :~ohyah!:

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Well I figures that since 95% of what I post here is pure BS, I might as well be named after a great BSer.

Old Dude
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Right on track! Keep it up. You should have at least one more solid -10 pound month before the rate starts to slow.

DomCasual
06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I didn't pay attention to this thread until now, so sorry for getting into the game late.

I'm down 14 pounds in two months. I was 206 two months ago, and I'm 5' 10". I have no idea why I gained weight - I really don't eat much. But that's the most I've ever weighed. Ideally, I'd like to end up about 170.

So now, I'm 192. My secret is vomiting. I eat as much as I want, and then purge it.

Just kidding. I am just generally paying more attention to what I eat, and completely eliminating late night food. We've just gotten done with two vacations (one week each), so I probably slipped a little. But I'm back on the program.

Sassy
06-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Question for you guys...I've been riding bike and doing water aerobics 5-6 times per week...with water aerobics on M and W and biking the other days. My weight loss seems to have tapered off even though every so often I splurge and eat whatever I want for that day to try and hike the metabolism back up. What can I do to lose more weight? I've been cutting out the bread/pasta and eating more protein like yogurt, cheese, meat, nuts. I've also been adding flax to smoothies for protein and drinking more water. Suggestions?

DomCasual
06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
The thing that always works for me I got from Bill Phillips' Body for Life program, and that is six small meals a day. And when I say small, I mean just enough to knock down my hunger, but not nearly enough so that I feel full. I might eat a protein bar for one meal, and maybe even just some yogurt for another. In the evening, I eat a relatively sensible meal, and I am done eating for the day.

I can starve myself, and not lose a pound. As soon as I shift to the several small meals a day approach, the weight starts steadily falling off - maybe a pound a week.

Sassy
06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah...that's what I have been doing too...and it worked for awhile...but now it just seems like I'm at a standstill.

smalltowngrll
06-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Sassy...try not to concentrate too much on the scale.

1. This could be due to you bulding muscle at the same rate you are losing fat. Fat has more mass than muscle (it's bigger for the same weight). So, if that is the case, you will lose inches but not lose 'weight' per se.

2. You've hit a plataeu. Calculate what your caloric intake is and what you use in your workouts. The less you weight the less calories you burn. So, when you hit that plateau, you may have to shake things up a bit. Your body might have gotten used to the exercise you are doing and not burning as many calories it used to when you started it. So, you have to increase the distance and level of exertion plus you may have to decrease our caloric intake again. (don't go lower than 1200 calories per day for a woman, though).

Typically when you do the same excercise routine week after week, your body gets used to it and compensates for it. Typically it is suggested that you switch up your routine every 4 weeks. It means that you might just need to add more hills, a different excercise such as a run, aerobics, elliptical, etc. Also, you might need to add a weight training routine as well. Try different things.

Sassy
06-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Sassy...try not to concentrate too much on the scale.

1. This could be due to you bulding muscle at the same rate you are losing fat. Fat has more mass than muscle (it's bigger for the same weight). So, if that is the case, you will lose inches but not lose 'weight' per se.

2. You've hit a plataeu. Calculate what your caloric intake is and what you use in your workouts. The less you weight the less calories you burn. So, when you hit that plateau, you may have to shake things up a bit. Your body might have gotten used to the exercise you are doing and not burning as many calories it used to when you started it. So, you have to increase the distance and level of exertion plus you may have to decrease our caloric intake again. (don't go lower than 1200 calories per day for a woman, though).

Typically when you do the same excercise routine week after week, your body gets used to it and compensates for it. Typically it is suggested that you switch up your routine every 4 weeks. It means that you might just need to add more hills, a different excercise such as a run, aerobics, elliptical, etc. Also, you might need to add a weight training routine as well. Try different things.

My problem is there isn't much else I LIKE doing...but different aerobic classes I can do...thought I'd try that. The bike this is starting to be hard on my knees. Great advice though!

smalltowngrll
06-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Do you have an elliptical machine? What about getting involved in some sort of class or group sport? Soccer? Check out and see if they have any boot camp classes there specifically for women? Kickboxing class?

Old Dude
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I didn't pay attention to this thread until now, so sorry for getting into the game late.

I'm down 14 pounds in two months. I was 206 two months ago, and I'm 5' 10". I have no idea why I gained weight - I really don't eat much. But that's the most I've ever weighed.

Dom, didn't you have an addition to the family in the last year or so? For some weird reason, many guys go through some sort of "sympathetic" weight gain when that happens.

------------

Anyway, I'm holding steady now at 198, which is a loss of about 57 pounds in slightly less than 9 months. Just like you mentioned, I tend to eat a little more often, but in much smaller portions.

I was planning on doing a lot of bike riding this summer, but that hasn't panned out for various reasons. I'd still like to drop three more pounds to make it an even -60.

BroncoBuff
06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Right on track! Keep it up. You should have at least one more solid -10 pound month before the rate starts to slow.

Good deal ... thanks. I'm kinda bracing for that levelling off.

I suppose I'd be reasonably satisfied at 250. I am 6'6" after all, and at 45 I guess I can't expect skinny like my 20s anymore ... but I'm still shooting for 230.

The weird part is, I'm not being tested at all. I feel no pangs of hunger - and no longings when I drive by KFC. When I smell a nice restaurant it is enticing, but so far I'm just walking by. When does the ghrelin kick in? The primitive hormone that tells a human who's lost lots of weight, "you're STARVING! Stop everything and EAT! EAT! EAT!!!"

DomCasual
06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Dom, didn't you have an addition to the family in the last year or so? For some weird reason, many guys go through some sort of "sympathetic" weight gain when that happens.

------------

Anyway, I'm holding steady now at 198, which is a loss of about 57 pounds in slightly less than 9 months. Just like you mentioned, I tend to eat a little more often, but in much smaller portions.

I was planning on doing a lot of bike riding this summer, but that hasn't panned out for various reasons. I'd still like to drop three more pounds to make it an even -60.

It's funny - I've kind of joked about that with my wife. I've told her that I really would be at about 8% body fat, but my first priority is keeping her confidence up. She always gives me the same dumb look, like she's not going for it. Some thanks I get for being selfless!

DomCasual
06-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Sorry, I missed the last part of your post. That's what worries me. I'm having knee surgery (that I keep putting off - it's now set for July 25th), and I am going to be almost completely inactive for awhile. I will be able to do stuff to build strength and flexibility in the knee, but that won't do much for the rest of my body. I really don't want to balloon up.

57 pounds in 9 months is great, though - just a little over a pound a week, so it shouldn't be as hard to keep it off when you're done.

REB
06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Felt real tired this morning for some reason and it was a very dreary gloomy morning here today so I had to dig deep to make myself get my workout in. I'm glad I did.

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Hang in there Reb. Put something on the radio or TV that makes you forget what you are doing. Mike and Mike work for me I get so Pi33ed at them I go over my time somedays.

Old Dude
06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Great job everyone!!!

Old Dude it won't be long before you buy that convertible and all the young girls will whistle at you as you drive down the street.

Got whistled at by a (relatively) young blonde in a red convertible on Broadway yesterday, and immediately thought of your post.

There is a God.

Sassy
06-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I said forget the "diet/low carbs" for today...I ordered a Chicken Bacon Artichoke Pizza from Papa Murphy's...but it was a really thin crust and I didn't eat as much as I wanted too! It was awesome!

Have a great race this weekend STG!!! Good Luck!

BroncoBuff
06-22-2007, 11:35 PM
More trouble at the Seattle Downtown YMCA today.

The hallways have lots of photos there, and for the most part I supress my rage at their self-important preening. But the one below was just too much. Take a close look ... notice? These dumb bastards win a couple of basketball championships, and suddenly they're so full of themselves they decide they can write just "'98, 99, 00" ... like they're the only team that will ever win a Pacific Northwest Championship.

LOOK AT THEIR SMIRKING FACES!!! ... their words BURN in my ears: "Not but a moment, Jebediah, thee shant write out EIGHTEEN and ninety-nine, not but shorten the inscription to a mere 99." "Alas, ye speak truth, Caleb. There shant but ever be such a championship again without our stout and hardy sextet upon the wooden floor!"

Okay, I get it ... these guys are still crappin' outdoors, but suddenly they have a stranglehold on what we in 1999 and 2000 can accomplish, huh? I'll tell you one thing, WE figured out to cut a HOLE in the bottom of the bushel basket so we do NOT have to "fetch but the ladder after each basket that be suceessfull."

Dumb bastards.

I complained at the front desk, but they said there was nothing they could do.

Figures.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6081/1899ymcawj1.jpg

smalltowngrll
06-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I said forget the "diet/low carbs" for today...I ordered a Chicken Bacon Artichoke Pizza from Papa Murphy's...but it was a really thin crust and I didn't eat as much as I wanted too! It was awesome!

Have a great race this weekend STG!!! Good Luck!

Thanks!! I'm a little nervous! I've had so many carbs today! Pasta for lunch and dinner! Getting ready to head off to sleep soon! I'm excited!

RhymesayersDU
06-26-2007, 11:22 PM
So... Hell may have frozen over... But I love running.

Seriously. I would have never ever thought that I'd say this, or feel it or whatever. I've always dreaded anything and everything that has to do with running, cardio, etc.

But in the past couple weeks, it has become the highlight of my workouts, and I'm running even on off days. Perhaps it has something to do with losing some weight, dropping a whole belt size, actually seeing results, etc.

I'm sure some of you are probably way ahead of me on running and stuff, but seriously, the treadmill rules.

DomCasual
06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
More trouble at the Seattle Downtown YMCA today.

The hallways have lots of photos there, and for the most part I supress my rage at their self-important preening. But the one below was just too much. Take a close look ... notice? These dumb bastards win a couple of basketball championships, and suddenly they're so full of themselves they decide they can write just "'98, 99, 00" ... like they're the only team that will ever win a Pacific Northwest Championship.

LOOK AT THEIR SMIRKING FACES!!! ... their words BURN in my ears: "Not but a moment, Jebediah, thee shant write out EIGHTEEN and ninety-nine, not but shorten the inscription to a mere 99." "Alas, ye speak truth, Caleb. There shant but ever be such a championship again without our stout and hardy sextet upon the wooden floor!"

Okay, I get it ... these guys are still crappin' outdoors, but suddenly they have a stranglehold on what we in 1999 and 2000 can accomplish, huh? I'll tell you one thing, WE figured out to cut a HOLE in the bottom of the bushel basket so we do NOT have to "fetch but the ladder after each basket that be suceessfull."

Dumb bastards.

I complained at the front desk, but they said there was nothing they could do.

Figures.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6081/1899ymcawj1.jpg

Son, what in the sam hell are you talking about?

Bronco_Beerslug
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Is this the wrong thread to ask on how to gain some weight?

BroncoBuff
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Son, what in the sam hell are you talking about?

Relax Dom, and others messaging me ... I'm okay. Those two YMCA posts are just me trying to be absurdist funny.

Hunter S. Thompson I'm not - apparently :oyvey:

Old Dude
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Is this the wrong thread to ask on how to gain some weight?

Not at all. I had to get really fat first, before I could lose weight, so I'm sort of an expert on it. What do you want to know?

BroncoBuff
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Beerslug, if you're successful ... you can get a too-tight T-Shirt that says:

I BEAT ANOREXIA

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Spiritshot/Randomly%20Funny/I_Beat_Anorexia_T-Shirt.jpg

DomCasual
06-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Relax Dom, and others messaging me ... I'm okay. Those two YMCA posts are just me trying to be absurdist funny.

Hunter S. Thompson I'm not - apparently :oyvey:

That's good. We were all talking about staging an intervention.

REB
06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Been using our new recumbent bike the last few days and did the treadmill today as well. Curls, abs, squats and pushups as well.

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I hit my plateau last week, so I took a day off the diet and had a big sub sandwich and a couple of beers. I'll see Friday if that kick started me again.

smalltowngrll
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
So, here's my update:

After 4 weeks in Boot Camp, I dropped 25 seconds on my mile. Went from an 8:47 (week 1) mile to an 8:22 mile (week 4). I increased my push ups (do as many as you can before you collapse) from 16 to 32!!! I stayed fairly steady in core training, only a slight increase with sit ups (full sit ups). The goal is to do as many as you could do in 2 minutes. I went from 40 in week 1 to 43 in week 4!

I can DEFINITELY tell that I am stronger. Especially in upper body. The scale hasn't moved down much, but I've dropped another size (total down three sizes in clothes) but only dropped about 8 pounds. I'm trying not to focus too much on the scale, although it's frustrating as all get out! It's better to have muscle than to have fat...right?!! :strong:

Old Dude
06-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Went on vacation last week and gobbled down a horrendous amount of bad food. Gained 3 pounds, up to 201. :( First relapse in almost 10 months.

We're buying the new bikes today.

DomCasual
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
So, here's my update:

After 4 weeks in Boot Camp, I dropped 25 seconds on my mile. Went from an 8:47 (week 1) mile to an 8:22 mile (week 4). I increased my push ups (do as many as you can before you collapse) from 16 to 32!!! I stayed fairly steady in core training, only a slight increase with sit ups (full sit ups). The goal is to do as many as you could do in 2 minutes. I went from 40 in week 1 to 43 in week 4!

I can DEFINITELY tell that I am stronger. Especially in upper body. The scale hasn't moved down much, but I've dropped another size (total down three sizes in clothes) but only dropped about 8 pounds. I'm trying not to focus too much on the scale, although it's frustrating as all get out! It's better to have muscle than to have fat...right?!! :strong:

Boot camp?

BroncoBuff
06-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't care if you're a size ZERO, stbog ... if you run in training shoes instead of boots, you'll knock another 30-60 seconds off that mile time. I'm just sayin' ...

smalltowngrll
06-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Boot camp?

It's a class that has your running lots of stairs, running obstical courses, lots of sit ups, push ups, and all sorts of other types of excercises. It really challenged me to go beyond just my typical weight training routines.

And, Nooooooooooo, Buff, I didn't wear boots!! ;D :P

Sassy
06-29-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm down about 15 and at least two sizes...almost 3...good thing Herbergers takes back stuff as long as the tags are on them and I have original receipts!

BroncoBuff
06-29-2007, 10:43 PM
295 today.

I think the bastards at the 'Y' are rigging the scales cause they know how important all this is to me. I want to be 280 when I go to Denver for a game.

Sassy
07-01-2007, 01:29 PM
16 lbs....It's kind of fun to have clothes falling off...except it leads to more shopping! ;D

Sassy
07-05-2007, 07:55 AM
My scale said 17 this am! Woohoo!
Guess my 12 miles on the bike paid off last night.
How's everyone else doing?

Old Dude
07-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Back down to 197, but my bike picked up a sticker and went flat.

REB
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Haven't weighed myself but I'm still working out. T-mill, bike, situps, pushups, curls and squats.

Sassy
07-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Anybody ever tried whey powder??

Requiem
07-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I've pretty much lied to myself all summer. I don't think I've gained really any weight, but I'm going to really make July be a month of hell for me physically. No more pop (even though I don't have much as is) no more late snacks, just a healthy diet too.

Now that I actually am getting hours, I'll keep occupied. I'll probably ride my bike out to the diamonds Tuesday and Wednesday (unless I get scheduled) for my softball tournaments. That'll be a good 10+ mile trek over a two day period.

Might start running a bit too.

Push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

I just can't wait to get back to Fargo so I can just go to the Wellness Center.

My goal is about 10 pounds by the time I get back to Fargo. We'll see how it goes. I think I'm at like 195-200 right now. I went to college at like 180.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2007, 03:44 AM
We have alotta Dakota people here, doncha know?

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6923/fargo3mg9.jpg

I just can't get below 294. I've been stuck at 294/295 for two solid weeks. I had pizza one day, but aside from that it's a very modest diet with exercise 2-3 times a week. I'm not gonna settle for this ... and please nobody say "you're just leveling off" please. I wanna lose it, and I am trying. I'll just cut back on the sugars, and up on the workouts.

Sassy - I use a scoop of powdered soy protein in smoothies. It has an ingredient that's apparently good for the female body, according to the label.

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I've hit a plateau too BB. 15 pounds in six weeks. I have only strayed from the diet one day in that time and exercise 5-6 times a week. I am going to try some different food and a change in my exercise routine next week to see if I can kick start the weight loss again.

Requiem
07-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking about just eating a lot of fruits, and drinking water. . . for this whole next month.

Or is that a bad idea?

Sassy
07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm thinking about just eating a lot of fruits, and drinking water. . . for this whole next month.

Or is that a bad idea?

I wouldn't go that route...you need whole grains, veggies and protein too.
You might lose fast...but you won't keep it off.

BroncoBuff
07-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Or is that a bad idea?

Well, if you want to live longer it might work. Radical caloric restriction is probably the fountain of youth ... truly. But make sure you get some protein. I'm into no-sugar peanut butter now: "Ingredients: Peanuts, peanut oil (Caution: may contain bits of peanuts)" ;D Not too much though. Funny how the fat-is-okay, carbs-are-the-enemy Atkins approach is incorporated into this ...

Science edges closer to fountain of youth
Researchers, firms target diet-gene link
By Ronald Kotulak
Tribune science reporter

Having succeeded in using a trick of nature to dramatically increase the life span of every creature it's been tried on, scientists believe they are finally on track to develop tools that can fend off the aging process in humans and prolong their lives.

The trick is calorie restriction: When animals eat less, they live longer. It's thought to be nature's way of enabling an organism to survive long enough to reproduce in times of food scarcity.

The process works by triggering genes that inhibit the damage associated with aging, thus prolonging life. In the last few years, powerful new molecular and genetic tools have allowed these longevity genes to be identified at a rapid pace, boosting the field of aging research to new heights.

Scientists are so emboldened by the discoveries that many are racing to form companies with the specific goal of discovering drugs or nutrients that will slow aging the same way calorie restriction does but without the agony of going on a food-restricted diet.

http://bioweb.usc.edu/courses/2002-fall/documents/bisc438-supp_fountain.pdf

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52404

BroncoBuff
07-08-2007, 09:21 AM
The trick is nutrient-dense foods, and elimination of complex carbohydrates (no sugars).

The trick is to only eat foods that give you the most dense important nutrients ... that way, you eat less, but still retain nourishment:

What is nutrient density and why is it so important?

Like anything involving "density," " nutrient density" means how much you get of one thing, given the presence of something else. In the case of nutrient density, the "things" you receive, the nutrients, are analyzed in relationship to how much they "cost" you, in terms of calories. Simply stated, nutrient density means how many nutrients you get from a food, given the number of calories it contains. Nutrient density is a simple way to connect nutrients with calories.

More nutrients for less calories

Nutrient dense foods give you the most nutrients for the fewest amount of calories. In other words, nutrient dense foods give you the "biggest bang for the buck." You get lots of nutrients, and it doesn't cost you much in terms of calories.

Nutrient density is the exact principle we used when we rated all of 127 foods found on the World's Healthiest Foods website. The World's Healthiest Foods give you the biggest bang for your buck. They give you the most nutrients possible for the least amount of calories.

Eating nutrient dense foods is one of the healthiest ways to eat

Eating nutrient dense foods like the World's Healthiest Foods is one of the healthiest ways that anyone can eat. No principle is more likely to support healthy eating than the principle of nutrient density. Why is nutrient density so helpful? Because it gives you concentrated amount of valuable nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, essential fatty acids and phytonutrients, to name a few.

Nutrient density - an example

Let's take a quick example. Let's say you're low on vitamin E, and decide to eat a food that is not nutrient dense. A slice of run-of-the-mill white bread will give you about 1/10th of a milligram of vitamin E. This 1/10th of a milligram will cost you about 80 calories (the number of calories in a slice of many white breads). Now let's compare this number and amount to a slice of 100% whole wheat bread.

Whole grain products, like most whole foods, are nutrient dense. A slice of 100% whole wheat bread will cost you approximately the same number of calories (about 70-75 calories) but the vitamin E content will be substantially different. Instead of getting only 100 micrograms of vitamin E in exchange for your 70-80 calories, with 100% whole grain bread, you will get between 250 and 500 micrograms. Or, to put it somewhat differently, you would have to eat between 2-1/2 and 5 slices of run-of-the-mill white bread in order to get the same amount of vitamin E as is found in one slice of 100% whole wheat bread. And those extra 1-1/2 to 4 slices would cost you as much as 320 additional calories.

http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=81

Sassy
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I tried Muesli today...not bad!
I also bought some barley...looks similiar to oatmeal.
They're still high in carbs...but it's good carbs!

BroncoBuff
07-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Yeah ... and ground flaxseed, of flaxseed meal, is the food highest in Omega-3 oils. I get it and wheat germ and oat bran in the baking aisle, and put some of each in my smoothies.

I dunno about Muesli - is that a cereal?

Sassy
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Ha! Didn't I tell you about the flax and wheat germ! Ha!
Muesli is whole grains, dried fruits, nuts and seeds.
(rolled oats, wheat, rye , triticale and barley, dates, raisins , flax, sunfower seeds, almonds and walnuts. You can eat it hot, cold or right out of the bag).

I got that and the barley flakes in the grocery store
(heath food aisle) but you can order it.

The website is www.bobsredmill.com

BroncoBuff
07-10-2007, 06:03 AM
No, I knew about them - even posted 18 months ago suggesting people use 'SmartBalance' because of Omega-3 and flaxseed oils: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=994936&postcount=46 You might have mentioned where they were in the grocery store though - I think it was you, or else you told me how to grind them, something like that :thumbsup:

Flaxseed, walnuts and kiwifruit have lots of it, and are the best non-fish sources, but you can also buy supplements of Linoleic, Alpha-Linolenic and Alpha-Lipoic acids.

BroncoBuff
07-10-2007, 06:29 AM
I have GREAT NEWS!

The caloric-restriction diet and Omega-3 in Alpha-Lipoic acid - both life-extenders posted above ?

Well... GUESS WHAT'S A GREAT SOURCE OF BOTH?

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6315/allsr9.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT! DRINK UP!! :welcome: Ha! :giggle: :spit: :peace:

Remember ... RED WINE ONLY! No fair substituting beer! :~ohyah!:

smalltowngrll
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I have GREAT NEWS!

The caloric-restriction diet and Omega-3 in Alpha-Lipoic acid - both life-extenders posted above ?

Well... GUESS WHAT'S A GREAT SOURCE OF BOTH?

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6315/allsr9.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT! DRINK UP!! :welcome: Ha! :giggle: :spit: :peace:

Remember ... RED WINE ONLY! No fair substituting beer! :~ohyah!:

Right on!! I love red wine!! Ha!

BroncoBuff
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Right on!! I love red wine!! Ha!

Now why does that not surprise me?!

Just watch ... I'll follow this diet rigidly for twnty, thirty years, and I'll be in perfect health, then one day I'll get hit by a bus. :(

I don't think there's a single food or diet regimen that can help you when you get hit by a bus. :P

Hopefully, I'll be a spry and energetic 88 years old! :flower:

smalltowngrll
07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Now why does that not surprise me?!

Just watch ... I'll follow this diet rigidly for twnty, thirty years, and I'll be in perfect health, then one day I'll get hit by a bus. :(

I don't think there's a single food or diet regimen that can help you when you get hit by a bus. :P

Hopefully, I'll be a spry and energetic 88 years old! :flower:

Well, I would suppose that if you get hit by a bus and happen to survive, recovery would be much quicker and possibly a bit less complicated if you were in good health prior to the minor bus mishap!? :strong:

Sassy
07-12-2007, 08:03 AM
UGH! Seem to be at a standstill with the weight thing :(

BroncoBuff
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
UGH! Seem to be at a standstill with the weight thing :(

Me too ... 292/294 for over two weeks now Uhh

smalltowngrll
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Time to step up the excercise, then. It just means that your caloric intake and burn have now become equal. Add another 10 minutes a day to your cardio. Increase the cardio intensity. Change the type of cardio you are doing. Change up your weight training routine. I know, easier said than done...but, it works!

REB
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
This exercising stuff is like work. And I would know, I've seen people work before. ;D

BroncoBuff
07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Time to step up the excercise, then. It just means that your caloric intake and burn have now become equal. Add another 10 minutes a day to your cardio. Increase the cardio intensity. Change the type of cardio you are doing! Change up your weight training routine! I know, easier said than done...but, it works!

Hmmmmm .... wild guess here, but - you were a cheerleader, right? :curtsey:

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Down 21 pounds in 7 weeks. 11 more to get to the top end of what the Dr. recommends. I would like to drop 10 below that, but I think I was 15 years old the last time I weighed that little.

Circle Orange
07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, we've got some nice, beefy guys here. But don't worry...it's all good. Women like trampolines of love.

There's a radical diet that's kinda crazy but it works. But be careful doing this:

1. Go to an extremely rough neighborhood.
2. Walk past gangs.
3. Give them the finger and shout, "YOUR MAMA." in any language, this is trouble.
4. Run like hell.
5. Go home and drink a lot of water.

It's the equivalent to an obstacle course and cardiovascular fitness. You run for your life (thus accelerating heart rate), improve flexibility (by diving over cars and dashing through traffic). Burn calories (by dodging bullets and bottles).

There are two drawbacks to this diet.

One, you cannot do this in one place more than once.

And two, it has a high mortality rate.

But really, it isn't the weight so much as how you're made...I've seen the same weight on two people and they look completely different.

So...

EAT UP. Worry later. :strong:

On

BroncoBuff
07-16-2007, 06:47 PM
This exercising stuff is like work. And I would know, I've seen people work before. ;D

ROFL! That one's good enough for your Joke Thread, sir ... :~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
07-17-2007, 03:37 AM
DING DING DING! 289!

I thought I'd never break 294 ... so I've been half-starving myself the past 10 days. I guess it worked! That's 31 pounds in three months, goal weight: 240. (Ideally, 225 ... but 240 will work at my age).

Hey Old Dude ... OM Awards this year?

Sassy
07-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Men...it's easier for you guys to lose :(

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-17-2007, 09:41 AM
DING DING DING! 289!

I thought I'd never break 294 ... so I've been half-starving myself the past 10 days. I guess it worked! That's 31 pounds in three months, goal weight: 240. (Ideally, 225 ... but 240 will work at my age).

Hey Old Dude ... OM Awards this year?

Good job BB. Plateaus are a bitch, but hang in there and you'll break through.

REB
07-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Congrats Buff!

Sassy
07-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Dang...I need a new routine :(

BroncoBuff
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Dang...I need a new routine :(

I think yours seems fine ... bicycling is just about the best of all workouts.

Sassy
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm at a standstill though.
Haven't lost anything for about 3 weeks...
I did water aerobics this am and biked for an hour this pm.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Not at all. I had to get really fat first, before I could lose weight, so I'm sort of an expert on it. What do you want to know?Actually I guess I'm fine with where I am now. I'd like to gain about 10 more pounds but pretty much gave up on that years back. Just can't work out much harder than I have been or am now.

Still pretty lucky in that I can eat as much as want and still drink beer on the weekends. Just not quite as chiseled as I was 20 years ago.

REB
07-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Been kinda tired and fighting a sore throat this week so didn't work out as much. I did work out monday and got 3 miles in on the bike this morning.

Sassy
07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm back at it...lots of walking up and down hills in Niagara...not to mention a 12 hour hike through all the concourses of O'Hare (Unless I was drinking! LOL!) Damn airlines! Anyway...that's another story!

Did 13 miles on the bike tonight...5 miles then a break, then another 8...in 90 degree heat with the dewpoint at 70! Yuck...anyway...
I can't seem to lose weight anyway...I must be gaining some muscle?....frustrating!

BroncoBuff
08-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Congrats Buff!
Thanks man ... 285 today.

The best new dinner idea is from ... Jack in the Box!

They have a side salad for $1.49 ... a terrific deal with cheese, cherry tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. Order two at that price ... and choose balsamic vinigrette dressing (use just half) and just say NO to the coutons. Get two if you must. :thumbs:

The chicken club salad they're advertising is a poor deal. At $5.25, it's basically just two of those side salads with some bacon bits added, and a couple smallish strips of chicken served separately.

Sassy
08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
No Jack In The Box here.

Anyway...I lost a couple of pounds more! ;D

Sassy
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
How's everyone doing ???
Nobody's checked in for awhile...

REB
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I've slacked off the last 2 weeks. I've exercised maybe 3 days in that time. I gotta get my butt back in gear :)

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Sticking with the program. Have hit a plateau at -21. 11 to go to the Dr's max range. Would like to drop 20 more.

Sassy
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Keep it up guys!!!
...Ha! No, I don't mean that! LOL!

Sassy
08-07-2007, 10:24 PM
1 hour am water aerobics class...an hour on the bike in the AM (9) miles
...and another 8 miles on the bike tonight....see what I can do when I'm a little on the frustrated/crabby side! Grrrrrrrrrr.....

REB
08-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I got a couple miles on the bike today and did some curls.

Thursday I plan on doing a lot of 12 oz curls so I'll be good and pumped ;D

REB
08-08-2007, 12:49 AM
1 hour am water aerobics class...an hour on the bike in the AM (9) miles
...and another 8 miles on the bike tonight....see what I can do when I'm a little on the frustrated/crabby side! Grrrrrrrrrr.....

You just came back from seeing Hogan and your "crabby"? That's not good. But then again...

;D

Sassy
08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I should neg rep ya for that.

REB
08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I should neg rep ya for that.

LOL

Sassy
08-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Beverages 101

Your simple instructions: no calories (and a little alcohol)
By The Editors of Men's Health

TNT, or Targeted Nutrition Tactics, means specific nutrition (and exercise) strategies that enable you to reach your body composition goals as fast as possible. But, what does that mean when it comes to drinking?

Answer: Stick with beverages that contain no calories. For the most part, that means water, coffee, tea, and diet soda. These are your choices because most drinks—other than those already mentioned—are packed with carbohydrates.

In addition, it's way too easy to over-consume liquid calories. And they have little impact on appetite. So skip the caloric drinks and focus on beverages for hydration. And don't forget the other valuable compounds—such as antioxidants—that they provide.

This guideline doesn't apply to protein shakes. Protein shakes are filling and reduce appetite. And every once in a while, you can add milk, kefir, and 100 percent fruit and vegetable juices to your drink list. As for alcohol, we like it, and in fact, think it's perfectly fine in moderation. We'll explain further down.

In short, simply drink as many no-calorie beverages—water, coffee, tea, and diet drinks—as you desire, and allow yourself as many as one to two alcoholic beverages per day. For more details on each, read on.

TNT-Approved Beverages

Water
Coffee
Any type of unsweetened tea
No-calorie beverages
Alcohol, in moderation
Water

As a general rule, try to drink eight to 12 ounces of water for every 2 hours you're awake. That ensures that you're well hydrated, since low-carbohydrate diets have a natural diuretic effect.

This natural diuretic effect isn't bad; it just means your body isn't retaining as much water as normal, and that you need to make sure you're providing it with plenty of incoming H2O. This is especially true if you drink caffeinated beverages—coffee, tea, diet soda—which also act as diuretics.

You muscles are 80 percent water. Even as little as a one percent decrease in body water has been shown to impair exercise performance and adversely affect recovery. And researchers in Germany found that protein synthesis occurs at a higher rate in muscle cells that are well-hydrated. Water is good; drink lots of it.

Coffee
After years of research, most health experts regard coffee as not only safe, but highly recommended. In fact, a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found no evidence of an association between heart-disease risk and coffee consumption of up to six cups per day. Plus, it's packed with disease-fighting antioxidants.

Use products such as NutraSweet, Equal, Splenda or Sweet'N Low to sweeten.

The best choice at Starbucks? A Café Americano, which is nearly carb-free. A 16-ounce grande contains just 3 grams of carbs, an amount not even worth worrying about it.

Tea

Tea is widely known for its beneficial health effects. And you can thank its high content of catechins, antioxidants that help fight cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. Tea also helps reduce stress, according to U.K. researchers. Antioxidants in the tea may act on areas of your brain that calm your central nervous system.

Although green tea gets the most press, black and herbal teas provide similar health benefits. To get the most from any product, steep your tea for at least 3 minutes. Just as with coffee, you can use artificial sweeteners as desired.

Diet Beverages

Diet sodas and other diet drinks such as Crystal Light make our list for one reason: They have 5 or fewer calories per serving and no physiological effect on your ability to lose fat.

They also don't have any health benefits. So feel free to drink them, but in addition to the recommended amount of water, and with the knowledge that unsweetened coffee and tea are better choices.

Also, a quick word about artificial sweeteners: The majority of research on aspartame (NutraSweet), sucralose (Splenda), and saccharin (Sweet'N Low), shows them to be safe for human consumption. Yet there are some rodent studies, as well as anecdotal reports in humans, that suggest they may carry negative side effects in high amounts. What's that mean to you? Don't consume them in huge amounts!

Alcohol

In moderation, alcohol appears to improve levels of good cholesterol and has a relaxing, stress-reducing effect. Wine and hard liquor don't contain carbohydrates, and "light" beers only have a couple of grams of carbs per 12-ounce serving.

The downside is that excessive amounts of alcohol prevent your body from burning fat for energy. This effect is exacerbated when combined with carbohydrates, such as those found in regular beer or in mixers.

You can toe the line by sticking with one or two drinks—at most—per day. In fact, you'll find a glass of wine makes the perfect complement to any meal.

The Booze Rules

1. Avoid mixing alcohol with any type of fruit juice or non-diet soda, which add unnecessary calories and carbohydrates. Combined with alcohol, these can lead to fat storage.

2. Avoid regular beer. It's packed with carbohydrates. Go with a light beer that contains less than three grams of carbohydrate per serving (12 ounces).

TNT-approved Alcohol

Type of Alcohol One Drink
Wine 4 ounces
Light Beer 12 ounces
Gin 1.25 ounces
Rum 1.25 ounces
Whiskey 1.25 ounces
Vodka 1.25 ounces

Sassy
08-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Ugh...now I have to go work off the pizza~

REB
08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
So, do you think a case and a half of Miller Lite in one day is to much? :welcome:

Sassy
08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Well...what does your wife think?
...unless she wants you to pass out! Ha!

REB
08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Well...what does your wife think?
...unless she wants you to pass out! Ha!

LOL That could be

Sassy
08-11-2007, 10:25 PM
LOL That could be

Maybe she wants to take advantage of you? Ha!
What's that...you can't rape the willing...? ;D

Sassy
08-11-2007, 10:26 PM
You just came back from seeing Hogan and your "crabby"? That's not good. But then again...

;D

Beware of creepy, crawly things ;D :~ohyah!:

REB
08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
:spit: :spit:

Sassy
08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
You still drinking REB! ;D

Billy Clyde Puckett
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
I just received a family newsletter which mentioned that a distant realtive (grandson in law of my great aunt, if I understand correctly) I have never met was on the show the greatest loser. He started at 6'3" 410#. They put him on a diet and exercise regiment and in a little over 8 months he lost 178 pounds. I'd just like to get rid of this last 20.

broncocalijohn
08-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Havent posted here before (forgot about it - didnt know it was a sticky), but my sig gives weight update. The best thing to keep me on track has been noticing how much I have to run on the tread mill to burn certain calories. This means very little junk food (licorice my fav) and no sodas with calories. Diet taste alot better than it used to years ago. I lift weights on different machines to get this flabby top firm. Went from three sets of 10 of 80 lbs to now 110 lbs since June. My goal is to be able to party like a rock star OM weekend and still look good. I might be one of those sickos and actually work out at the hotel on Sat. before going out. When I hit 800 calories burned, then that will cover the beer I will be consuming that night. Good Luck ! BTW: 197.5 again today so losing weight and adding muscle.

Sassy
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Sounds like quite a few Maners have lost 20 lbs. or more! Great job everybody!

ksBRONCOfan
08-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Today I have officially began my trek to drop 40 pounds. Started having some blood pressure issues and at 27 that's not good. I'm doing it the old fashioned way of trying to keep track of calorie intake. I woke up early this morning and went on a two mile walk. Hopefully that will turn into running some day!!! It will basically take me 3/4 of a year to drop to my target.

Sassy
08-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Good Luck ks! You can do it!
It's amazing how losing weight can help or eliminate some health issues...

REB
08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I've been a bad boy the past couple weeks and haven't worked out. I'm going to try to get back into it fresh beginning next week.

ksBRONCOfan
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I made it through the day within my calorie target. I still have a little left for an evening snack.

broncocalijohn
08-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Today I have officially began my trek to drop 40 pounds. Started having some blood pressure issues and at 27 that's not good. I'm doing it the old fashioned way of trying to keep track of calorie intake. I woke up early this morning and went on a two mile walk. Hopefully that will turn into running some day!!! It will basically take me 3/4 of a year to drop to my target.

Dont be surprised to see you lose that weight a lot faster than 9 months. I thought i would be fine at 200 from 218. Once I past that, I realized i had more to go. If you work out 4 to 5 times a week (30 minutes minimum), you will see how fast that weight goes off. I dont diet like a madman. I dont want to be off the diet because I crave something. I will snack a little but i do much less. Working out will become addicting once you see the weight loss. I am now a regular at my club.

Old Dude
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
For the last 6 weeks or so, I stablized at 200. But I had a hellacious gall bladder attack Saturday night, and I don't think I've had anything other than a piece of toast and some steamed rice for the last three days. So I'm back down to 196- the hard way.

By the way. Middle Age sucks.

Billy Clyde Puckett
09-04-2007, 01:56 PM

No ****!!!

Down 29. Only 4 to go to get to the top of the Dr's range, but would like to get down an additional 10 by Thanksgiving. I haven't weighed that little since I was 16.

smalltowngrll
09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, I'm looking for new motivation! Football season is going to put a huge cramp in my training plans for a half marathon in Oct. Doesn't look good right now. I did a short 3 week boot camp, but I can't afford to keep up with that on a regular basis, so I'm using it as a suppliment to vary my regular routine.

Oh, and tailgating is just awful on the calorie intake. Too many tailgates coming up, too! What's a person to do?! Guess I'll be doing daily doubles in running/exercise during the week, then! :strong:

Meck77
09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Did I mention we are serving sushi and rice for the Raider game? Oh we won't have any beer either. Just avion water with lemon wedges.

smalltowngrll
09-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahhh, heck no, Meck! Bring on the burgers, Brats, beer and jello shots!! Wait...jello isn't bad for ya!! ;D ;)

Sassy
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Does Desmond do Burgers? ;D

missingnumber7
09-05-2007, 02:27 AM
I was 240 when I got to Ft. McCoy and I was 225 when I got on the plane to go to Kuwait. My goal is 190 by the time I'm a dad.

broncocalijohn
09-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Did I mention we are serving sushi and rice for the Raider game? Oh we won't have any beer either. Just avion water with lemon wedges.

I didnt pay a whole $5 to STG to eat that crap. I am actually going to work out at the hotel Saturday before Saturday partying just to stabilize my weight gain. I am looking at no more than 1.5 pounds gained for the weekend. Motivation is the key.

REB
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
I've been quite the slacker the last few weeks but I got back on the treadmill this morning.

Sassy
09-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Me too, Reb...at least on the exercise part. The pool at the Y has been closed the last two weeks for maintenance so I didn't get my water aerobics in...and the weather didn't cooperate much...heat, humidity, wind for the bike...but at least I didn't pig out...well, except at the Olive Garden!

REB
09-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Yea, well I really gotta work on motivating myself better when it comes to exercising. I find it boring and monotonous and hard to stick to. I'll do it for a few weeks and then stop for a few weeks. :)

cbs1177
09-07-2007, 12:27 AM
I have been bad. Back up to 210 "ish" was close to 200. I blame the 100+ heat the last month it was been record heat here in Memphis In August. The thing was so hot didn't eat much during the day except yummy tomatoes five or six a day. Then when I got home and cooled off went crazy with starvation. So basically big meal and went to bed. Temperatures are getting back to normal and cooler and business is picking back up so back to losing weight.

One worker on the inside said you should sell a weight lost program b/c I don't know any one who can gain and lose weight like you. :( That was mean.

Have found the love of grilled eggplant thru a fellow orangemaner. wondered if any one had great veggy grilling recipes or stuff like that.

Been using olive oil on grilled corn and it is lip smacking good. I love good food so maybe a way to share healthy hearty recipes.

210 and counting down. fingers crossed.

Sassy
09-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Throw any veggies on the grill...in foil...I use a little "I can't believe it's not butter" spray...and they rock! I love grilled asparagus!

ksBRONCOfan
09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
I've managed to drop 19 pounds really quick. I'm really shocked how fast it fell in two weeks.

BroncoBuff
09-12-2007, 05:15 AM
I've managed to drop 19 pounds really quick. I'm really shocked how fast it fell in two weeks.
What have you done to make it happen?

ksBRONCOfan
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
What have you done to make it happen?

Just consuming 1800-2000 calories per day instead of 4000-6000. Also trying to walk at least a mile and a half per day at a steady pace.

Sassy
09-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Ok...so who gained their weight back OMane Weekend ;D

cbs1177
09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
My upper management said I lost weight. Yeah so at least looking slimmer. then came the you should be 190 according to height. Super rough week so dunno if trying to make small talk or yadda yadda. I am putting in 10-12.5 hours a day so dunno. I eat when I can now. I am a snacker both in real life and on world of warcraft. I think I look great at 200-207 so that is my new goal to get to. being single is hard b/c when cooking it last for days on ends. Fast food is the way to go. Living alone you Thank God for the harvest and after six days you Thank God it is gone. Ready for something different.

cbs1177
09-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok...so who gained their weight back OMane Weekend ;D

football season to date has made me back at 210 from 204 but calories counting so I could be 300 now lol kidding but work schedule makes it hard to manage eating times.

smalltowngrll
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Nope...gained nothing. Actually, I lost 3 over the past week! No time to eat, seariouly. Not good, but didn't lose!

Sassy
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't think I gained any either...lots of walking the tailgates! ;D
The scale read the same when I got home...but 2 lbs. more tonight...but I'll check in the am...probably more accurate.
Alright, BCJ...how about you? You kept saying you would but I know you hit the treadmill at the Red Lion!!!

smalltowngrll
09-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think I really had much time to eat! I had one burger at the 'gate Ohhhhh, and one of Ted's and 12thman's breakfast burrito's....YUM! That was it for the whole day...not to mention all the walking and bike riding I did that day! The rest of the weekend was only one meal a day. Not the healthy way to eat, but I was too dang busy! Went up to the mountains and spent some time there. BEAUTIFUL!

loborugger
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I moved recently, and I now live about 1 to 1.5 miles from work. So, I walk every day to/from work and on most days home and back for lunch. I have noticed that I have dropped a few lbs pretty quickly. That and I dont eat a ton of processed foods... that really helps, too.

Oh, BTW, STG, If I trusted my gut, I would be 400 lbs. :~ohyah!:

Sassy
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Ok...time to go hit the bike! I'm outta here! ;D

Orange_Beard
09-26-2007, 12:40 AM
I weighted my self at the Doc's office today, 197.
The last 5 lbs have been a lot of work.

Sassy
09-26-2007, 12:42 AM
You went to the doc on your birthday? Yuck.

OldDudetheYounger
09-27-2007, 12:05 PM
For the last 6 weeks or so, I stablized at 200. But I had a hellacious gall bladder attack Saturday night, and I don't think I've had anything other than a piece of toast and some steamed rice for the last three days. So I'm back down to 196- the hard way.

Got that right...

I'm still kinda freaked that you weigh less than I do now.

Orange_Beard
09-27-2007, 06:26 PM
You went to the doc on your birthday? Yuck.

Wow, nice observation.
My kid cut his nose about 8 weeks ago. it had to sewn by a plastic surgeon. He had a check-up and I jumped on the scale while in the doc's office.

Sassy
10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Anyone still working on the weight thing?

REB
10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
myeah....screw it ;D

Old Dude
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Anyone still working on the weight thing?

Still holding steady at just under 200. I'd like to lose 5 more lbs before the year is out and then hold it there for at least 6 months.

Sassy
10-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Still holding steady at just under 200. I'd like to lose 5 more lbs before the year is out and then hold it there for at least 6 months.

I'd like ten more...but would just settle for toning the abs!

Taco John
10-08-2007, 02:39 AM
I've lost 25 pounds since May. :)

gunns
10-08-2007, 04:29 AM
I've already lost my weight, did it when I found out I had diabetes several years ago. Lost 50 lbs in 6 months. Laid off the bad carbs, began exercising, mostly walking and weights and cutting down on portions. The hardest part is keeping it off. It's no problem at home but at work it's a bitch. That's all we do there is eat. Discipline is the hardest thing, if I go overboard I have to work it off. Good luck to everyone!

Sassy
10-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Email This Story IM This Story Print This Story
Eat to Lose Before and After Workouts
Posted Wed, Oct 03, 2007, 3:41 pm PDT
POST A COMMENT »
Eating just the right thing before lifting weights or jumping on the elliptical trainer can keep you energized until the end. What you eat "depends on how hard and how long you're exercising," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Nutrition for Women. Here are her surprisingly easy ways to fuel your muscles before different workouts and--pant, pant--help you recover after you've worked your butt off.
A solid aerobics session--30-60 minutes
BEFORE

"A small liquid snack 5 minutes before a run, step session, or power yoga class turns into fuel almost immediately," says Somer. Let these rules be your guide:

1. Keep it light (under 200 calories) for faster digestion.

2. The less time you have to eat before exercising, the less you eat. You don't want stuff sloshing about in your tummy as you move.

3. Skip juice blends or energy drinks that list high-fructose corn syrup or glucose gels on the label. Both heavy-hitter sweeteners can make blood sugar levels plummet mid-workout.

A few 200-calorie-and-under suggestions:

A make-it-yourself 8 ounce fruit and low-fat yogurt smoothie or one of Dannon's Light & Fit ready-to-drink fruit smoothies
Carnation No Sugar Added Instant Breakfast drink made with a cup of skim milk or light soymilk
A 6 oz. glass of OJ and 2 graham crackers
AFTER

To re-hydrate and keep your blood sugar stable, have some water and:

A low-fat granola or energy bar
A cup of low-sodium chicken noodle soup
A piece of fruit or a small bunch of grapes
Hit-the-wall aerobics--60 minutes or more
BEFORE

You want a snack that keeps muscles supplied with a steady flow of glucose. "Just as a car sputters to a stop when it runs out of gas, you 'hit the wall' or 'bonk' if your glucose supplies are drained. Once that happens, no snack will fuel you fast enough to finish the workout," warns Somer. Before you go all out, have some:

1. Water to ward off dehydration, especially when it's hot.

2. Easy-to-digest, high-quality carbs that leave your GI track quickly and supply enough glucose to fuel a long workout.

3. Protein from yogurt, milk, soymilk, or nuts to offset a rapid drop in blood sugar from eating those carbs.

4. Foods that are light (again, 200 calories) and low-fat to avoid digestive problems. If your energy dips or your legs become shaky, eat more the next time until you hit on the right amount.

Good carb-protein combos:

Half a 4 oz. whole-wheat bagel with 1 tbsp. low-fat cream cheese
A small slice of last night's vegetarian pizza or 2/3 cup leftover spaghetti with marinara sauce
1 stick of low-fat string cheese, 1 medium pear, and 3 whole-grain crackers
AFTER

Recover with more water and a 100 calorie, all-carb snack, such as:

50 pretzel sticks
1/2 cup Breyer's Double Churn Fat-Free Caramel Swirl ice cream
Half a baked potato topped with 2 tbsp. salsa
Up to 60 minutes of gentle yoga, stretching, or tai chi
BEFORE

A pre-workout snack isn't essential for low-sweat activities--say, an hour of yin yoga or a stretch class. But if you're hungry, try a banana for potassium and 2 graham crackers for carbs. Wash it down with some water.

AFTER

All you'll need is more water.

Semi-tough strength training--30-45 minutes
BEFORE

Carbs with a dash of protein is your fuel of choice. Only serious body builders and weight lifters who pump for more than 45 minutes at least three days a week need extra protein--"most people get plenty," says Somer.

If you're borderline hard-core, try these 200 to 250 calorie protein-laced snacks:

Half a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread and a piece of fruit
A handful of trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, and seeds)
3 whole-grain crackers with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter and 6 oz. of V8 juice
AFTER

Re-hydrate with water and have the other half of that turkey sandwich--the protein helps repair and build muscles.

For the average gym rat who does 30 minutes of weight training two or three times a week, just have a high-carb snack 10 minutes or so before you start:

Plain, nonfat yogurt mixed with berries or applesauce
1 tbsp. nut butter and a sliced 1/2 banana on a 10" whole-wheat tortilla, all rolledup burrito-style
1 small (2 oz.) carrot-raisin muffin and a 6 oz. glass of OJ

An all-day hike, cross-country ski or snowshoe trek
BEFORE

To build your glycogen stores, plan ahead.
1. For a day or two prior to your outing, eat high-carb meals of whole-wheat pasta or brown rice dishes.
2. Drink ample fluids, too--at least 10 cups a day. Before setting out, have a substantial high-carb meal of pancakes or waffles with fruit.
3. In addition to lunch, pack a couple of energy bars, dried fruit-and-nut mix to nibble every 2 hours.
4. Regularly sip water or sports drinks; don't wait until you get thirsty.

AFTER

(Soak in the hot tub!) And keep drinking water. Have a high-carb snack such as a muffin, popcorn, pretzels, or hot cocoa and a graham cracker.

Not only will exercising regularly burn off all those snacks and more but it can make your RealAge as much as nine--yes, nine--years younger. And your body inches trimmer.

Nice.

BroncoBuff
10-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I've lost 25 pounds since May. :)
NICE!!!!!!! Walking the streets with that Ron Paul sign is doing wonders! :~ohyah!:

They took the "fat guy" scale out of the downtown YMCA, so I haven't weighed myself in a month or so. The "fat guy" scale went up to 400, but the other one goes to 250 only ??? I'm not there yet. I'd settle for 275, though. Last I knew I was 284 in late August, down from 320 in late April.

broncocalijohn
10-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Sassy, reading that took off 1000 calories. Yes, i am still at it and weigh about 191.5 . Have had trouble losing more weight as I have a pinched nerve and cant lift until it is cured. Running the treadmill 5 times a week so that gets 300 calories each time. I guess i am at stable mode now.

Sassy
10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Woohoo John! Did you gain after Denver?
I was surprised, I didn't! But we walked everywhere!

Sassy
10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
ATTENTION: COFFEE LOVERS!

Coffee lovers may be raising their cups at the growing stream of positive news about their favorite drink. For healthy adults, having two or three cups of joe daily generally isn’t harmful and it may have health perks. Some recent findings even suggest that coffee may help lower the risk of diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

A cup of coffee contains about 1 gram of soluble fiber, the type that can help lower cholesterol, according to a recent report in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Recent Harvard studies, involving more than 193,000 people, found that regular coffee drinkers had a significantly lower risk of type 2 diabetes than those who abstained. The more they drank, the lower their risk.

Despite coffee’s reputation for being bad for the heart, recent epidemiologic studies haven’t found a connection; some even suggest coffee can be protective. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that healthy people 65 and over who drank four or more cups of caffeinated beverages daily (primarily coffee) had a 53 percent lower risk of heart disease than non-coffee-drinkers.

Coffee has more antioxidants per serving than blueberries do, making it the top source of antioxidants in our diets. Antioxidants help quell inflammation, which might explain coffee’s effect in inflammation-related diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

Magnesium found in coffee might help make cells more sensitive to insulin (increased insulin sensitivity results in healthier blood glucose levels).

Caffeine seems to have its own beneficial effects; the diabetes studies found that those who drank regular coffee had lower risks of the disease than decaf drinkers.

Caffeinated-coffee drinking has also been linked with reduced risk of Parkinson’s disease, gallstones, cirrhosis and liver cancer.

Bottom Line:

For most people who enjoy coffee, there’s no reason to cut back; there may even be health benefits. However, for some, exceeding one’s caffeine tolerance—which varies—can cause irritability, headache and insomnia. The temporary rise in heart rate and blood pressure could cause problems for people with heart disease, and new moms should be aware that caffeine passes into breast milk.

REB
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Yep. Good stuff Sass. And speaking of the fiber, I put a teaspoon of Benefiber in each cup of coffee I have in the morning for some added benefit. It dissolves right away with the cream and sugar and it has no flavor so you don't know it's even there.

BTW I hit the treadmill this past thursday and rode the recumbent bike this morning so I'm working on getting back into it. :)

Sassy
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Of course, the benefits of coffee, would be reduced, I'm sure, if you add a slice of that Cappuccino Walnut Cheesecake along with it! ;D

Good job on the treadmill, REB!
I'm having a tough time with the exercise thing ever since I got back from Denver...gained a couple of pounds :(
...and now it's too dark/cold for the biking...

REB
10-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Of course, the benefits of coffee, would be reduced, I'm sure, if you add a slice of that Cappuccino Walnut Cheesecake along with it! ;D

Good job on the treadmill, REB!
I'm having a tough time with the exercise thing ever since I got back from Denver...gained a couple of pounds :(
...and now it's too dark/cold for the biking...

:~ohyah!: Walnuts are good for us ;D

Sassy
10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
:~ohyah!: Walnuts are good for us ;D

So are they "good enough" to counteract the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, sour cream and chocolate chips ;D

REB
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
So are they "good enough" to counteract the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, sour cream and chocolate chips ;D

In my world yes ;D

Sassy
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The No-Brainer Way to Cut Calories
Posted by Gabrielle Reece
on Mon, Oct 08, 2007, 1:18 pm PDT Post a Comment View all 1011 Comments »
Can you guess what percentage of calories Americans consume that come from what they drink? Three percent? Ten? No, try twenty percent! Yes, that's right, one-fifth of the calories we take in come from liquids.
Here is a no-brainer way to begin to cut back on your caloric intake: Stop drinking sodas (even diet), juices, mega-sized "health" smoothies with 120 grams of sugar in them, whipped coffee drinks, iced tea loaded with corn syrup, and all those sport and vitamin drinks that are actually filled with sugar and calories.

What's the magic word? Water. Okay, if you love a cup of java in the morning, then get it. Try to avoid all the extras with it, and if you're looking for a pick-me-up in the middle of the day, have an unsweetened green tea instead of a soda or energy drink.

Otherwise, try your best to stick with the water, and if it gets too boring, add a splash of cranberry juice or a slice of lemon to mix it up. Getting enough water can help us in our quest for better health in so many ways:

Flush out toxins
Reduce your risk of heart attack
Help with joint and muscle pain
Boost your metabolic rate
Improve organ function
Keep you regular
Prevent headaches
Promote healthy skin
Regulate body temperature
Get energized and improve alertness
Wow, you can kill two birds with one stone: Cut out unwanted calories and do something good for yourself in the meantime. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to have a bunch of sugar or calories I want it to be something I have to chew -- preferably chocolate. Waste it on some drink? No way.

BroncoBuff
10-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Good article .... Is that Gabrielle Reece the ex-volleyballer who's married to champion surfer Laird Hamilton and lives in Hawaii?

But ... why does an article about saving calories say, "Stop drinking sodas (even diet)"? ???

They're Z E R O calories! I just don't understand what people have against diet sodas. Obviously water is better, but (other than phenylketonurics, which only affect a tiny % of people) what are the REAL reasons? Gimme something concrete here. I go through about three 2-liters (DIET, NO caffeine) a week.

Sassy
10-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the aspartame or sucrolose makes you crave food...not sure...but it does me. I seem to eat more on days I drink dt.coke...

REB
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I hit the http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/REB65/SmileyTreadmill.gif again yesterday. I have got to make myself stick with it because my blood pressure has been running high the last few days even with the meds and I know exercise will help. Gonna have to go see the doc soon and he'll probably have to up the dosage.

Raiders Rock
10-21-2007, 03:29 PM
- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to

Sassy
10-24-2007, 01:34 AM
That's awesome RR! Great job! That's about the same time I started!

Spider
10-24-2007, 01:41 AM
- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to

same here ....... I am holding 215 pounds for well over a year now I was 250 ....

Spider
10-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Good article .... Is that Gabrielle Reece the ex-volleyballer who's married to champion surfer Laird Hamilton and lives in Hawaii?

But ... why does an article about saving calories say, "Stop drinking sodas (even diet)"? ???

They're Z E R O calories! I just don't understand what people have against diet sodas. Obviously water is better, but (other than phenylketonurics, which only affect a tiny % of people) what are the REAL reasons? Gimme something concrete here. I go through about three 2-liters (DIET, NO caffeine) a week.
I enjoy diet soda now .....and I eat more smaller meals a day now , I am doing alot better , and I noticed my mood swings have all but stopped .I still have road rage though

Raiders Rock
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I enjoy diet soda now .....and I eat more smaller meals a day now , I am doing alot better , and I noticed my mood swings have all but stopped .I still have road rage though

I eat smaller meals, all whole grain foods, no white bread, minimal sugar, no potato's I eat alot of soy based products, minimal processed foods.

I keep it around 1800 calories a day and try to keep it under 100gms carbs a day.

I inject Byetta (Exenatide is an injectable diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your pancreas produce insulin more efficiently.) It is not insulin and it is expensive but it works well for me.

I am very lucky, I have no symptoms of Diabetes except I was thirsty alot and had to pee alot so I got checked out.

My numbers are very good and I usually check my bg levels up to 5 times a day, My doc told me if I get my weight where he wants it I will probably not even have to take any meds.

I weigh 230 lbs but have a 34 inch waist I have some gut but even when I was 270 only sported a 38 inch waist.

I guess I am big boned ROFL! :strong:

Spider
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I eat smaller meals, all whole grain foods, no white bread, minimal sugar, no potato's I eat alot of soy based products, minimal processed foods.

I keep it around 1800 calories a day and try to keep it under 100gms carbs a day.

I inject Byetta (Exenatide is an injectable diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your pancreas produce insulin more efficiently.) It is not insulin and it is expensive but it works well for me.

I am very lucky, I have no symptoms of Diabetes except I was thirsty alot and had to pee alot so I got checked out.

My numbers are very good and I usually check my bg levels up to 5 times a day, My doc told me if I get my weight where he wants it I will probably not even have to take any meds.

I weigh 230 lbs but have a 34 inch waist I have some gut but even when I was 270 only sported a 38 inch waist.

I guess I am big boned ROFL! :strong:

LOL good job , I got popped at my DOT physical , I had a fellow up appointment 2 weeks later , I blew it off , just started doing the diet thing on my own , I havent checked my blood sugar in over a month .....

Raiders Rock
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
LOL good job , I got popped at my DOT physical , I had a fellow up appointment 2 weeks later , I blew it off , just started doing the diet thing on my own , I havent checked my blood sugar in over a month .....

You need to go to a doctor if sugar was detected in your urine.
I had to have a DOT a month before I was diagnosed... I had no sugar in my urine, in order for sugar to spill into your urine you have to be quite high.

The most common drug for Type 2 is Metformin, it messes with your stomach at first but does a good job and only costs about 4 bucks a month from Wally World.

Uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause stroke and heart attacks, and can make you go blind...lose feeling in your extremities as well as ED go get an A1C test done asap Spider.

Diabetes is easier than ever to control, and if you don't you will lose your CDL or possibly worse .

Please heed my warning and take this as serious as anything you ever did in your life.

Spider
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
You need to go to a doctor if sugar was detected in your urine.
I had to have a DOT a month before I was diagnosed... I had no sugar in my urine, in order for sugar to spill into your urine you have to be quite high.

The most common drug for Type 2 is Metformin, it messes with your stomach at first but does a good job and only costs about 4 bucks a month from Wally World.

Uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause stroke and heart attacks, and can make you go blind...lose feeling in your extremities as well as ED go get an A1C test done asap Spider.

Diabetes is easier than ever to control, and if you don't you will lose your CDL or possibly worse .

Please heed my warning and take this as serious as anything you ever did in your life.

i will bro ......

Sassy
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
The Microwave Diet: 8 Great Frozen Entrees
Posted Tue, Oct 23, 2007, 5:17 pm PDT
POST A COMMENT »
It's a given: Life is going to hand you a certain number of days so crazed that high-speed take-out seems like the only dinner option.

The hitch? The only people who know less about portion control than restaurant chefs are the stressed-out and starving. (You know the feeling: You deserve to supersize something after the day you've had.)

The fix? Stock your freezer with healthy versions of your fave take-out treats--ones that are delicious enough to keep you driving right past the fast-food palace. Honest, they exist. Just check this list, tested by a bunch of tough-to-please tasters.

PIZZA: Lean Cuisine Brick Oven Style Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza
Here's a great way to soothe pizza craving without worrying about the 2-slice cut-off! The flatbread crust is topped with creamy garlic sauce, chicken, and cheese. And it crisps up perfectly in the microwave.
340 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated), 49g carbohydrates, 670mg sodium, 2g fiber, 20g protein

ENCHILADAS: Amy's Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
Dig into two corn tortillas filled with black beans, corn, zucchini, tofu, and bell peppers, all covered in mild enchilada sauce. Note that there's a low-sodium version of this meal: 380 mg vs. 780 mg in the regular recipe. Smart. High salt hits are hard to avoid in most frozen food, so take advantage.
380 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated), 44g carbohydrate, 380mg sodium, 6g fiber, 10g protein

BURRITO: Cedarlane's Low Fat Beans, Rice, and Cheese Style Burrito
This almost sounds too healthy to be fun, but even our burrito junkies loved this dish of pinto beans, soy cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and organic brown rice, wrapped in a warm wheat tortilla. For extra zing, top it off with your favorite salsa.
260 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated), 48g carbohydrate, 490mg sodium, 7g fiber, 13g protein

PANINI: Lean Cuisine's Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Panini
Okay, it's not quite the same as the corner bistro's, but a little perspective here: eating just half of Panera Bread's Frontega Chicken Panini would cost you 440 calories, 21g of fat, and 1150mg of sodium! This is faster, cheaper, much healthier, and surprisingly satisfying.
280 calories, 8g fat (3.5g saturated), 32g carbohydrate, 690mg sodium, 5g fiber, 21g protein

THAI NOODLES: Seeds of Change Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
You don't have to be a nutritionist to figure that large servings of noodles drenched in peanut sauce are hazardous to your waist. Not these. The linguini is made with healthy semolina wheat flour, and there's plenty of zippy ginger-peanut sauce flavoring the noodles, veggies, and tofu (done just right--nice and firm).
350 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated), 620mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 17g protein

RAVIOLI: Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli
This indulgent-tasting dish features pillowy squash raviolis with a creamy pumpkin-like filling, surrounded by yellow and orange carrots, snap peas, and chopped walnuts, all covered with a light cream sauce. Bonus: It gives you almost all the vitamin A you need for the whole day.
350 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated), 56g carbohydrates, 660mg sodium, 6g fiber, 13g protein

MAC 'N' CHEESE: Smart Ones Macaroni and Cheese
Every now and then you need a taste of your favorite childhood dish. If mac and cheese is yours, this one will soothe your inner 5-year-old's needs for just 270 warm, creamy calories.
270 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated), 52g carbohydrates, 790mg sodium, 2g fiber, 11g protein

SOMETHING DIFFERENT: Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken
A delicious bowl of tender snow peas, carrots, broccoli, and grilled chicken breast on a bed of seven whole grains that are flavored with a lemongrass-coconut sauce...this meal smells almost as good as it tastes.
300 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated), 38g carbohydrate, 680mg sodium, 7g of fiber, 18g protein

One more thing that's great about these 8 freezer finds: Avoiding saturated and trans fats can make your RealAge up to 4 years younger

REB
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I worked out Mon., Wed., and today and plan on getting another one in Sat. So 4 days this week aint to shabby :) I',m watching my lil' niece in the morning so that will be exercise enough for tomorrow :) I just got an Ipod last week so I was having fun listening to my music on my new toy while working out. Sure made the time go by a little faster.

Sassy
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
LOW CARBS AT THE COFFEEHOUSE!

By Vicki Shaver

The good news is that black coffee doesn’t have any carbs. It’s also filled with potassium, a mineral that many low carb dieters need to supplement. The bad news is that nearly all of the specialty drinks at your favorite coffee house are loaded with sugar. So, what’s a low carber to do when faced with the inevitable choice between House Blend Blasé and Caramel Macchiato Dream? Well, you might be surprised. If you educate yourself on what your local coffee house has to offer, you can turn your coffee drink into a low carb dessert!

Here are some of the things to ask for:

“Breve” {pronounced Brev-ay, with the same accents as latte}

Whether it’s a Breve Latte or a Breve Cappuccino, you will love this creamy version of the standard so much that you will never want to return to the land of skim! “Breve” in coffee language means that it is made with cream, or more commonly, half-n-half. This is a low carb staple, and a must when turning coffee into dessert. NOTE: The store may add an extra charge for the half-n-half, but its well worth it, and justified. The fact that there are still some inexperienced baristas who look at you cock-eyed when you place this order, is likely due to the extra cost associated with keeping half-n-half on hand.

Sugar-free Flavor Shots

For me, a Breve Latte can stand on its own, without any other additions, as a dessert. However, if my sweet tooth is really calling, I will order a sugar-free flavor shot. Or, as mentioned above, if my worst nightmare occurs and the place is out of half-n-half, I will order a brewed coffee flavored with a sugar-free shot. Most places have at least one or two sugar-free flavors to choose from. Usually its vanilla, however I have found sugar-free hazelnut, caramel and Irish cream, too. Do not underestimate these little charms! There has been many a day that I was ready to grab a carb-laden scone or croissant from the dessert case, but instead ordered a Breve Latte with a sugar-free flavor shot. Yum! I was NOT disappointed!

Whipped Cream

Whether it’s from a can or whisked up fresh in the back, whipped cream is usually pretty low carb, especially considering the small amount that gets plopped on top of your drink. It’s hard not to feel like your committing a diet sin while licking whipped cream off your upper lip, too.

All of these rules also apply to teas and steamers. Watch out for the Chai Tea, though. Unless the place offers a clearly marked sugar-free version, Chais are jam-packed with carbs in the form of sugar. Same with any Mocha, or other chocolate treats.

Low carb Cheesecake

Yes, you read that right – cheesecake! At a Starbucks operating inside of a Barnes and Noble, I found Low Carb Cheesecake on the menu! I did some checking and discovered the many, but not all, Starbucks offer this dessert. The one I had was wonderful, but a day or two older than I would have liked. What really stood out about this cheesecake was its crust made of crushed almonds – excellent!

So, yes Virginia, there is a comfy sofa for low carbers at the coffee house. In fact, the more you frequent these caffeinated havens asking for low carb specialty drinks, the more choices you will have in the future. Who knows, one day there may be a coffee house devoted to the low carb lifestyle. Wake up and smell the investment potential!

broncocalijohn
11-03-2007, 05:05 PM
- 41 lbs since 04/10/07

Diabetic... had to

Good job! Now if you can only lose that loser of a football team, you would have more energy, less stress and you would look much better! As for me, I gained a few pounds since not working out in Denver and Halloween. 2 days out of 7 is the direct opposite of what I do every week. Worse is Halloween candy from my kids and left overs. Didnt touch it for 2 months when I bought some but these little chocolates dont have calories if you only eat 5 of them, right?

Sassy
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
UGH...haven't been to the gym in a week and a half....I have absolutely no motivation these days! Help!

Sassy
11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Ok...I'm heading there now...class at 6:30 but I'm so tired...

Raiders Rock
11-13-2007, 07:49 AM
UGH...haven't been to the gym in a week and a half....I have absolutely no motivation these days! Help!

No problem, I will help

Hogan said this girl is hot Hilarious!
http://www.rock92.com/rockpix.html/Babe/11_09_07.jpg

Orange_Beard
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM

I don't know about you, but when it gets dark so early. I get lazy.
The days are so short right now, hard to go work out when it gets dark.

Sassy
11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Very true...and I was used to riding bike outdoors 3-5 times a week! I was putting almost 50 miles a week on my bike! Well, I start the new job tomorrow and get off at 4. There is a class at the Y at 4:30 so I could do that one instead of 6:30 two days a week and I would have no time to go home first! LOL! That's what gets me. Esp. with darker, colder nights. Then I could do the 5:30 class Friday (which is the same as the 6:30 M and W) and grab a little something to eat before that one.

Sassy
11-14-2007, 06:30 AM
30 lbs. John? Great job!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
11-27-2007, 10:06 AM
America's Most Obese Cities

By Rebecca Ruiz, Forbes.com

Nov. 14, 2007

We are heavier than ever.

Once considered an affliction of the lazy and indulgent, obesity now affects about one-third of Americans. The epidemic has swept up the wealthy, middle class and the poor; city dwellers, suburbanites and those in rural areas; and people of all races and ethnicities.

The causes, researchers say, are numerous. These include a diet of calorie-dense but nutrient-deficient food found in grocery and convenience stores, public planning strategies that favor motorists over walkers and cyclists, and simply bad habits.

And while the causes are many, the costs are enormous. Obesity's associated costs add $93 billion to the nation's medical bill annually. Each year, 112,000 people die from obesity-related causes, and the condition is responsible for an increased risk of chronic diseases like Type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

To better understand the local and state implications of the obesity epidemic, we ranked the nation's heaviest cities. In doing so, we discovered states with multiple offenders, metropolitan areas with expanding waistlines and a high representation of Southern cities. Worse yet, after claiming the title of the most sedentary city, Memphis, Tenn., has also ranked first as the country's most obese.

Behind the numbers

To determine which cities were the most obese, we looked at 2006 data on body mass index, or BMI, collected by the Centers for Disease Control's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, which conducts phone interviews with residents of metropolitan areas about health issues, including obesity, diabetes and exercise.

In this case, participants report their height and weight, which survey analysts use to calculate a BMI. Those with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 are considered at a healthy weight, those with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered overweight, and those with a BMI of 30 or higher are considered obese. About 32 percent of the nation is obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control; Memphis ranked above the national average at 34 percent.

Though data is collected for roughly 145 metropolitan statistical areas, we looked only at the country's 50 most populated cities and ranked the top 20. Because of an insufficient number of survey responses, data from some cities, including Sacramento, Calif., Columbus, Ohio, and Buffalo, N.Y., was not included. Had we included every area on the list, the smaller cities of Huntington, W.V., and Ashland, Ohio, on the West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio state borders, would have far outpaced every city on the list with obesity rates of 45 percent. Of the 50 cities we did rank, Boston entered last, with only 19 percent.

Noticeable Trends

Many of the cities on the list have high poverty rates and high frequencies of fast-food consumption.

In the city of Memphis, which does not include the outlying areas surveyed by the CDC, 24 percent of residents live below the poverty line. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the national average is 13 percent. The same trend was noticeable in the cities of Milwaukee (No. 17), Detroit (No. 5), and San Antonio, Texas, (No. 3) where 26 percent, 33 percent, and 18 percent of residents, respectively, live beneath the poverty line.

While fast-food consumption is a minor factor influencing obesity rates, purchasing patterns often reflect larger health issues and habits in certain communities. The average American had purchased fast food 16 days of the month between January and September of this year, according to Quick-Track research conducted by the consumer tracking group Sandelman & Associates. Thirteen cities on our list, including Memphis, Austin, Texas, and Indianapolis, met the national average or higher. Residents of San Antonio eat fast food 20 days of the month, and had the highest frequency of the cities on our list.

The Causes

Despite public health warnings about maintaining a frequent exercise regimen, limiting fast-food consumption and avoiding weight gain, there is no single cause of obesity, a fact that often frustrates experts, legislators - and obese people.

Other factors contributing to our ballooning waistlines, says Marian Levy, director of the master's of public health program at the University of Memphis, include enormous food portions, declining exercise rates and cheaper, unhealthy food. When asked about Memphis, however, Levy emphasizes a local culture built around Southern hospitality.

"We express our caring about people through food," she says, describing generous helpings of fried fish, chicken and okra often shared with neighbors and friends. "We have to realize that if we truly care about people, we want them to be healthful."

In Memphis, as in other cities on our list, reversing the obesity crisis can seem like trying to plug a thousand holes in a sinking ship. Public health campaigns are a start. Healthy Memphis Common Table, a nonprofit organization trying to promote better fitness and nutrition choices, provides residents with a list of exercise facilities and walking paths in addition to health tips and testimonials about the benefits of weight loss.

Another tactic, notes Levy, is vending machine legislation that will require schools pre-K through eighth grade to replace unhealthy foods and beverages in vending machines, on school store shelves, at fundraisers and a la carte cafeteria items with more nutritious alternatives. She hopes the legislation, which is being implemented for the current school year, will improve the diets of Memphis-area school children, 71 percent of whom receive a free lunch from school cafeterias.

Still, "there's not going to be a silver bullet," Levy says. "There has to be a simultaneous change at the environmental level, in schools, communities and families."

The Solutions

It's that community-wide change in lifestyle that experts say will result in fewer cases of obesity.

"You see cities taking this on in a range of different ways," says Leon Andrews, the project director of the Institute for Youth, Education and Families at the National League of Cities. Andrews is currently overseeing a one-year project in which six cities, including our third most obese, San Antonio, receive assistance in combating childhood obesity and promoting community wellness.

Andrews identified five ways cities could specifically address childhood obesity, as well as larger community health issues. These included improving public space and utilizing parks and recreation areas to encourage physical activity, as well as pursuing healthy food alternatives through community gardens and farmer's markets.

"More cities are becoming aware of [obesity] and looking to play a role in improving the situation," Andrews says. He also pointed out that city leaders often preferred to follow a successful example as opposed to chart a new course: "They definitely want to be the second, but may not want to be the first," he says. Regardless, it's clear that rising rates of childhood obesity - 17 percent of children and adolescents ages 12 to 19 are overweight - has prompted cities like Birmingham, Ala., San Diego and Richmond, Va., all on our list, to become more proactive in terms of obesity prevention.

Others, such as Walter Willett, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, believe our salvation lies mainly in ridding the grocery store of food he calls "not fit for human consumption." Among the items he would like to see purged, he says, are the "shelves of sugar water, the breakfast cereal section, dominated by refined starch and sugar, and white bread and rolls."

According to Willett, a healthier diet, in combination with increased levels of physical activity and environments that promote exercise, would drastically improve the country's obesity problem. "If we do this right," he says, "we'll improve our quality of life in many different ways."

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas_most_obese_cities.html

BroncoBuff
01-01-2008, 09:17 PM
30 lbs. John? Great job!
No kidding ... excellent work

Welcome to the thread, LABF - nice article.

I'm at 288 last weigh-in on November 9 (32 down, 48 to go). Losing 48 more sounds like a lot, but I have every confidence it shall be done - by this time next year. That would be just 1 pound a week, I can definitely manage that.

I was outta town for almost a month, and didn't watch the calories at all - gained only 4 pounds (which I think I've lost since I got home on 12/10. Gotta get on the scale at the Y this week. I feel I'm maybe closer to 280 now).

Until two years ago, I'd never been over 250 - ever. Anybody have any advice on keeping weight off after one huge gain and one huge loss?

BroncoBuff
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I posted a few pics recently, and somebody here on the board said - seriously - that I looked exactly like comedian Lenny Clarke - without the gray hair:

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/lenny-clarke1.jpg http://www.comedycentral.com/images/comedians/c/clarke_l/clarke_lenny1_m4.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8104/lilfatbuffiz7.jpg

That hurts ... because it's true. Kind of, anyway. That is NOT how I see myself, so - vanity shall prod me!

BroncoBuff
01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Me at 240 ... in just September 2004:
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7315/lilskinnybuffjx1.jpg

I'll be back there - maybe by the 4th of July - DEFINITELY by 2008 year end.

Nothing like public predictions and humiliation to amend behavior.

Los Broncos
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
The key for me is being employed full time all the time.

I tend to eat unhealthy when im on unemployment which in turn gains weight.

Now this year will be different for me, i will be working and in turn will eat better food and exercise.

Any tips on what exercises to do?

I heard walking daily is a good start.

Sassy
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
To me walking is boring...I'd rather ride bike...great toning for leg muscles!
(Ask Hogan ;D )

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back into that until about April...at least :(
Unless I get ambitious and do that at the gym...which to me is boring. I have to ride to my latte ;D

missingnumber7
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
wife and I are going to have a contest after the baby is born to see who can lose the most.

Orange_Beard
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
wife and I are going to have a contest after the baby is born to see who can lose the most.

Dude, do your best to help her win.

If you win, you WILL LOSE!

missingnumber7
01-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Dude, do your best to help her win.

If you win, you WILL LOSE!

Not really an issue, I'll lose 20 and will be stuck around 210 I haven't gotten under 200 since i quit playing football...that and the fact that I have to sit on my arse for 8 hours a day for the job.

Spider
01-12-2008, 04:52 PM
hell I have put 10 pounds back on 230 pounds ........

Sassy
01-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I've put on about five since September. I miss my bike! :(

broncocalijohn
01-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I think she has a head start as she dropped at least 12 pounds in one quick moment this last week. But, I am sure you will do a weigh in once you are actually ready to start it up. Good luck.

Beantown Bronco
01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Any tips on what exercises to do?

I heard walking daily is a good start.

Get an active large breed dog if you don't have one already, and wrestle it daily during the winter. Walk and/or run with it in the good weather. Fun and doesn't feel like exercise, but it will pay dividends.

BMF Bronco
01-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Back on my "time to lose weight" kick for the year.

broncocalijohn
01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Back on my "time to lose weight" kick for the year.

Once you stopped drinking beer, the weight should be going down. I went from a beer a night Monday through Thursday to one beer for all 4 days. Not drinking much at all on the weekeends too has helped the weight loss. I am telling everyone that the keys are less beer, no fast food (it is healthier and cheaper to brown bag it), no 2nd helpings on dinner and work out just 30 to 45 minutes 5 times a week. It is working for me. Dont over do it to get burned out and watch yourself using the new holes in your belt that you thought would never be used. Hell, I am on my last notch and now need a new one.

BMF Bronco
01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Once you stopped drinking beer, the weight should be going down. I went from a beer a night Monday through Thursday to one beer for all 4 days. Not drinking much at all on the weekeends too has helped the weight loss. I am telling everyone that the keys are less beer, no fast food (it is healthier and cheaper to brown bag it), no 2nd helpings on dinner and work out just 30 to 45 minutes 5 times a week. It is working for me. Dont over do it to get burned out and watch yourself using the new holes in your belt that you thought would never be used. Hell, I am on my last notch and now need a new one.

yeah, it's dropping off, but not as fast as I thought it would. I guess when you drink instead of eat, then stop and eat instead of drink it's kind of an equal trade. But I am currently in the gym 6 days a week, alternating cardio and weights, so it's going alright. I am bad as I expect immediate results like an idiot. I have pretty much completely cut out fast food, so that's another bonus. And starting on friday, I am going to have myoplex substitute as my lunch. We shall see!

BMF Bronco
01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
oh and it's been 47 days since my last beer.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2008, 03:32 AM
oh and it's been 47 days since my last beer.

I am not going that far but if you did that cold turkey, that is awesome. Myself everything in moderations. Tonight, I had hot cocoa and no toddy added to it.

cbs1177
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay the winter months have been way too good to me. I am now at 220 pounds. Fat people are happy but my black and white uniform I am hanging over my pants some what and look super fat even in black. The club is having the biggest loser contest based off of % lost. $10 entry fee and the club is matching all monies first is 70% 2nd 20% 3rd 10%. Being a manager they asked me b/c basically alot to love. I wanna win. I love to snack and work schedule means most meals late at night before bed. Need some encouragment, recipes, and such as to lose 30 pounds to get to 190 in 10 weeks from 220 pounds six foot. Fixing to be spring so more activity outside any help is welcomed. Recipes for snackers and such as. I really wanna win this contest to inspire others. And yes for the monies for my new house I just purchased.

Sassy
02-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Carry a bag of carrots with you! Seriously...and nuts...and string cheese. They are kind of high in fat...but great protein. THey'll stop you from stopping thru a drive thru! I also grab yoplait light smoothies...no fat! Good luck!

Spider
02-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I keep fluctuating between 220 and 230 ...... so I have decided to get taller ;D

OBF1
02-14-2008, 04:05 AM
I keep fluctuating between 220 and 230 ...... so I have decided to get taller ;D

Your not fat, your just short for your weight, You should be 6'-10" ROFL!

bronco0608
02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I've put on about 50 pounds over a two year period and I feel like crap. I'm 5'9" tall, and weigh about 205. I always feel like I have no energy since I put on this weight. It's like a vicious cycle.

I'm trying to drop some pounds and get back to my normal weight of 150-155.

Some things to consider: I'm not a gym kind of dude. :strong: I do enjoy walking, though.

So what is the best way to lose some weight considering I'm trying to find the easiest way of doing it. Any suggestions?

RhymesayersDU
02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Blow. Lots of it.

Derger_Louis
02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Hgh...

TexanBob
02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
As much as people will talk about all these easy ways to shed pounds, it usually boils down to a simple math equation. Calories ingested - calories burned. However you get there (eat less, exercise more), you need to change the equation.

I found that I could cut out sodas and pizzas along with a one-hour walk every other day and still eat pretty much whatever I wanted to and do alright.

One other recommendation. If you consider yourself obese to the point where your joints hurt, spending time in the swimming pool allows you to exercise without forcing your legs to carry your weight. You don't have to actually swim. I walk along the bottom of the pool (max depth is 5 feet in mine) and do laps that way. It burns energy but it doesn't tax your body too much and allows you to drop some weight until you are close enough to exercise in other ways.

Bob's your Information Minister
02-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Amputation.

DomCasual
02-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking of a word, and it starts with "binge and purge."

Cito Pelon
02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Eat one burrito instead of two. Works for me. One baked potato instead of two. One sandwich instead of two. You get the picture. Lots of walking can't hurt. I have about 20 more pounds to lose myself. I ballooned up over a couple years also. I still was going to the gym, walking, etc. but I just can't eat like I used to.

tsiguy96
02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Amputation.

i find it ironic bob even bothered to contribute to a "weight loss" post.

Ray Finkle
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Running or swimmming plus a change in diet....you will see results in about a month.

OrangeShadow
02-17-2008, 03:32 PM
I know it sounds cliche but diet and excersise. More speficially running

montrose
02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
A lot depends on your work and life schedule. Assuming you live the M-F, 9-5 lifestyle (and you want to lose the weight quickly), here are some suggestions:

* Work out twice a day - Do the first workout as soon as you wakeup, before you eat. This gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day. Do the second workout at the end of the day, preferably before you eat. This speeds up your metabolism to burn fat while you sleep.

* The Workouts - You said you're not a gym person and that's ok, there are things you can do instead of going to a gym (although going to a gym on a routine provides structure). Ideally, you'll want to do cardio for 30-45 minutes - this can be jogging or even power-walking if that makes you feel more comfortable. After doing cardio, implement a brief "core-workout" for about 10-15 minutes. This should consist of push ups, free squats, abs, exercises where you control your own body weight. Try mixing up your workouts about every 2-3 weeks or so. Variety in training is a key, mix in distance stuff (30-45 minutes without stopping), high-intensity (sprints, calisthenics), interval training (slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up) - just keep switching it up so your body doesn't get used to a particular workout.

* Try eating more small meals instead of few large meals - After your morning workout, eat something small like an apple and bowl of non-sugared cereal. 2-3 Hours later, have some veggies like carrot sticks. Around lunch time, try a turkey sandwich with no mayo and a small cup mixed fruit. 2-3 Hours later, have some veggies again. When you get home, have something like grilled chicken with steamed veggies. Following your last workout, have a fruit like peaches for a desert. Another okay desert are sugar free Popsicles.

* Stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. Don't allow food to settle in your system as you sleep.

* No soda, junk food or fast food. Try making a plan for the day on how to avoid these items.

* Drink lots of water. This is the gasoline for your body. You should always be drinking water.

* Always stretch. Stretch before your workout, after you workout and even during the day. This keeps the circulation going in your body, improves flexibility, and will help your skin adjust to the lost weight.

* If you do change your mind about the gym, low weight and high reps will only help you in the long run. Weight training can help burn fat over a long period of time.

sixtimeseight
02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Diet and exercise are the only ways to lose weight. Other methods might work at first, but will always fail in the end. I know you were hoping to hear something else, some new miracle diet or something, but it ain't happening.

TheDave
02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Eat less... move more.

Sounds easy, but you would be amazed at how many people can't figure that one out.

DomCasual
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Seriously, the first thing I always do is switch from a few big meals a day to five or six small ones - just barely enough to tie you over for a few hours.

Spider
02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Go to work in the oil patch

broncoblue
02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
sex

Cito Pelon
02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Running or swimmming plus a change in diet....you will see results in about a month.

Swimming is actually a great calorie burner in a short amount of time with little wear and tear on the joints. I don't do it myself, but maybe I should start. I firmly believe everybody pees in the pool, though. So that would limit me to local ponds, and fish, turtles and frogs pee and **** in there. Well, maybe swimming isn't such a good idea.

chrisp
02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I've lost about half a stone in the last six months by doing a fairly minimal amount of exercise, but more critically by eating less..

I haven't cut out any one type of food - absolutley no type of food has been 'forbidden' or 'bad' I just have less of it. You spend a week or two being a bit hungry but after a while you find you can't eat as much.

A year ago if i went to a subway for lunch I just had to have a footlong or I'd be worried I'ds be hungry all afternoon. Nowadays I can't eat a whole footlong without giving myself stomach ache!

Eat untill you're nearly full - not stuffed. Get used to not feeling like you have to be bursting at the seams to be satisfied.

But also try to get whatever excercise you can because diet alone doesn't do it - if you only diet you can just slow down your metabolism. Long walks can be a very good way to lose fat - low intensity for a long period of time is often better for weight loss than high intensity over a shorter period of time.

I'm not an expert but I do really feel that the basics of getting yourself in shape are fairly simple, and whilst some willpower is required in the early days to change your habits once you get going you can get used to the new lifestyle and it gets easier.

LonghornBronco
02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm a former collegiate wrestler who had to "SUCK WEIGHT". Here are a few tricks I picked up to drop weight.

Drink two glasses of water before a meal.
Replace candybars and refined flour snacks with fruit and vegetables.
Order salad at the restaurant instead of their 1500 cal mega portions.

As mentioned before don't eat after 8 pm and try to walk first thing in the morning before you eat.

elsid13
02-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I've put on about 50 pounds over a two year period and I feel like crap. I'm 5'9" tall, and weigh about 205. I always feel like I have no energy since I put on this weight. It's like a vicious cycle.

Some things to consider: I'm not a gym kind of dude. :strong: I do enjoy walking, though.

So what is the best way to lose some weight considering I'm trying to find the easiest way of doing it. Any suggestions?

Before we give you advice, there are some basic questions that you need to answer - What your typical weekly diet currently look like. Are you eating a lot fried foods and processed stuff(ie Mcdonalds). Are you eating breakfast? Lots of processed suger? Are you snacking out of the vending machines at work? How much soda are you drinking? Do you have times to run/walk do someform of cardio three times a week?

Sassy
02-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I do water aerobics and ride bike....(well the bike from spring until winter!)

I cut my carbs in half...after awhile you don't crave them as much anymore.
(Nothing or very little "white" including potatoes, rice, white flour, sugar~whole
grains are absorbed into your body at a slower rate and it's better for you.)

Cut out the coffee drinks...unless it's nonfat/sugar free...millions of calories in a mocha!)

Cut out the eating out/fast food.

Bring your lunch to work.

Have healthy snacks in your car!
(cuts the urge to go through the drive through!)

Cut out ALL SODA even the diet! (I have a hard time with this one!)

Eat smaller meals more often.

I've lost 24 lbs. since last April (gained 6 back over the holidays...but I should be able to get that off again once I start back on the bike.)

Check out the weight loss thread in off topics...stickied at the top! ;D
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1884169#post1884169

Cito Pelon
02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm a former collegiate wrestler who had to "SUCK WEIGHT". Here are a few tricks I picked up to drop weight.

Drink two glasses of water before a meal.
Replace candybars and refined flour snacks with fruit and vegetables.
Order salad at the restaurant instead of their 1500 cal mega portions.

As mentioned before don't eat after 8 pm and try to walk first thing in the morning before you eat.

How about walking right after you eat? Dom mentioned eating small meals more often, and I've done that. For me, walking the dogs or doing anything physical for that matter right after eating seems to give me more energy as the day goes by.

bronco0608
02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Damn guys, thanks for all the great responses.

lex
02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Dont eat when its late. Avoid heavy fluid consumption for 30 minutes after ingesting salts.

Sassy
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Weigh yourself in the am naked before you eat! ;D

But try NOT to watch the scale...try only weighing yourself once a week and don't get discouraged!

MileHighMagic
02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I hate running but I enjoy riding my bicycle.

When I do hit the treadmill, headphones help me fight through it.

Atwater His Ass
02-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My weight had ballooned to about 300lbs (6'4" btw) after spending my collegiate life as an athele playing soccer on scholarship. My problem was one that most people have to face sooner or later. Eating out everday coupled with too much alcohol comsumptio (gogo empty calories) and eating way too many processed foods and foods with artificial sweetners (i'm looking at you diet soda).

You need to educate yourself on not just what foods are healthy, but why those foods are healthy. This takes time. Once you get there, you can develop a meal plan with foods that you like. You will learn to eat several "meals" a day, etc. This is step 1. In my weight loss journey, I lost about 60 lbs doing nothing (read: zero exercise) but eating healthy.

Now step 2 is where you have to start exercising to lose that last bit of weight. I would start by just running/walking 2 miles twice a week at a local track, and eventually worked up to 7 miles 4x a week. You just have to find something that works for you. From a guy that could easily play an entire soccer match (90+mins), it was a real shock to me that I could only get 2 miles in at the track at first. It was a real eye opener to me.

As was mentioned above, the bones of it all are simple. You need to take in less calories than your body burns in order to lose the weight. Something like weight watchers, for example, is a good way to educate yourself about portion sizes and what foods are good. This is a good way to go if doing the research yourself is overwhelming, as it is to some people.

Anyway, I"m currently down to a much better 215lbs from the 300. My only real advice to any of this, is that this is a lifestyle change. Don't start down this path if you are not committed to doing it and staying with it because it won't do you any good. After I realized I needed to do something, it still took me over 6 months to get started because it just took me that long to be able to commit to the lifestyle change. IMO, that is the most important part about any of it. Once you can commit to the lifestyle change, it's only a matter of time before you see results.

TheDave
02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Dont eat when its late. Avoid heavy fluid consumption for 30 minutes after ingesting salts.

Sorry, but I have to ask... What is that suppose to accomplish?

Sassy
02-17-2008, 05:41 PM

I was wondering the same thing myself! ???

Broncoman13
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Throw some ankle weights on when you do those walks. A 2.5lb weight on each ankle should be good for starters. Doesn't seem like much but it will increase your cardio by a good 15-20%.

Eat a little less.

Find some alternate sources for protein that are low in calories and sugars. I personally like the Special K mixes (Iced Tea). 5g of sugar and only 30 calories. Drink one of those before a meal and you'll find yourself eating much less at lunchtime/dinnertime.

Find your own niche. What works for me may not work for someone else. I've started mixing in some strong workouts and usually play ball two or three times a week and so far I've only lost about 3 lbs but I feel a lot better and I'm gaining a lot of muscle as well. Eventually the muscle will start to burn fat as well. I'm 6'1 and 230lbs. I'd like to get down to 200 but I kind of doubt I'll get close to that b/c the amount of muscle I'm adding won't allow it. I will be in better shape though and that's truly what I'm after.

Broncoman13
02-17-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm guessing here but I'd say it probably has something to do with water retention. Usually more common with females but eating salts and water retention go hand in hand to one degree or another. Again, just a guess at what he's talking about.

TheDave
02-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself! ???

I'm guessing here but I'd say it probably has something to do with water retention. Usually more common with females but eating salts and water retention go hand in hand to one degree or another. Again, just a guess at what he's talking about.

Blood sodium levels are usually between 135 - 147 mEq / L. If after a high sodium meal you restrict your fluid levels your body will natually "steal" h20 from surrounding cells (mainly muscle tissue). Even if you restrict h20 for the short term your body will go into a mild state of dehydration until you "give in" and replenish it's supply.

Unless I'm totally missing something (always possible) that one seems very counter productive.

NW Bolt Fan
02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Everytime you get something to eat- divide it in two and put 1/2 away. Then ONLY eat what you had left... and wait. You won't be hungry in 20.

Amazing how easy it is to "over-eat". And equally amazing how little food the human body actually needs.

yerner
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
A gallon of water a day. Sure you look weird carrying water everywhere you go but I guarantee this helps curb your appetite knowing you have to force yourself to drink that gallon everyday.. Then its just diet and some excersise. Freaking diet and exercise.

TheDave
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Now if you really want to lose weight and don't mind dabbing in the grey area of life...well... here you go:

Cycle a stack of 100 mcg of Clenbuterol and 25 mcg of T3 (4-6 weeks of Clen followed by 3 weeks of t3)

15 mg of yohimbine (split over 3 times a day)

10 mg of novaldex per day (to lower estrogen levels and protect A2 androgenic receptor activity)

Add 50mg a week of oxandralone to maintain muscle mass

and finally the glue that makes the entire thing really work... 2IU per day of HGH.

follow the above and you will drop 50+ lbs in about 6-8 weeks... Keep it up for too long and the heart attack that insues will take the rest off.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM

So don't eat salt after 2200 and avoid water til the morning? I'd have a hard time doing that, since I fall down in the snow walking the dogs on salted roads just about every night and get thirsty after doing so. Maybe I'm too negative. Winter is almost over.

Sassy
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Updates everybody!!!

Orange_Beard
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I put on about 5 since I started a new job.

Sassy
02-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Same here...(between 4-6 gained) after losing 24. New job and the holidays killed me.

elsid13
02-17-2008, 07:10 PM
A gallon of water a day. Sure you look weird carrying water everywhere you go but I guarantee this helps curb your appetite knowing you have to force yourself to drink that gallon everyday.. Then its just diet and some excersise. Freaking diet and exercise.

What you need is an empty mini-keg refilled with water then you at least look like a bad ass

That One Guy
02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
The thing you never realize is how many calories we take in during the day when it comes time to try and exercise. If you're eating everything you want and working out... you're not even touching the calories with exercise. An entire workout can burn only a slice or two of pizza... and I, being a food lover, can sit down with a pizza and knock it out with no problem. Once I really started to look at things, I just realized I couldn't do the 50 wings at Hooters anymore... there's not enough time in the day to work that off.

Being the food lover that I am but still having to meet weight requirements in the Army, I generally time and my weight fluctuates by about 30 lbs ever couple months. In doing so, I take drastic measures to take it back off when the time comes in relation to my diet but when it all comes down to it, it's all about calories in vs calories out as they said. If you have the time and can manage it, burning more calories in a single workout than you take in during the whole day will help your cause but it takes a lot of discipline. Over the years I've grown just fine with eating just one meal a day so that's what I do... I find that I want to stuff myself everytime I start eating so it's a lot easier to manage not overeating once than it is to manage it 5 times a day.

When it does come down to exercise, I've never seen an exercise work as well as sprints. When you sprint you push your body to the limits on exertion but when you do just pure cardio you don't really appreciate how little you're actually pushing your body. If you're in decent shape but just have some flab, the ultimate exercise is a 20 minuteish jog with a 15 second sprint every 30 or 45ish seconds. It'll wear you out, is an incredible workout and you'll notice the effects quickly. That exercise actually has a name but I don't recall it, I believe it was a japanese name.

Just push your body and realize that if you just sit at a desk all day and aren't very mobile.. you don't need 3 square meals a day. Sure it's fun to eat but you can learn to manage that once you're down at your target weight. Your body will survive just fine on a very minimal diet, how you manage that is a matter of self assessment.

loborugger
02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I have dropped about 40 lbs since July. Granted, I have had Amoebic Dystenatery which accounted for the last 10 to 15 lbs, but still 25 to 30 lbs in as many weeks at age 37 isnt bad. And, I was putting on muscle at the same time which weighs more.

A couple of suggestions - things I use to succeed.

1. Dont weigh yourself constantly. You will make yourself mad. Set a goal to be healthy and not a certain weight. The only time I weigh in is at the doc's office.

2. Water, water, water. Its a filter for your system, it makes your breathe smell better, it makes your organs function better, etc, etc, etc. I live in a high dry clime, so I drink between 3 and 5 quarts a day, depending on what the work out is.

3. I have a great book, Releasing Fat by Dr Ray Strand. In a nutshell, he is a diabetic doc and he recommends a diabetics like diet for most of the population. High processed, hi carb, fast food is your enemy. Check it out. Its not just how many calories you eat, its the quality of the calories you eat. Along this line, a diet isnt something you do for a while til you get results - its a long term, lifestyle change akin to stopping smoking.

4. Crossfit.com. I love this site. Its all free. Tons of info. A killer workout awaits you, my friend. 3 days on, 1 day off. If you arent very fit now, work up to it. Lots of old school stuff combined with cardio and mostly done for time. Compete against yourself and monitor your improvement. I also try to find time to get walking in most days. In my case, I am fortunate enough to live about 1 and 1/4 mile from the office, so I hoof it most days.

I am a junk food junkie, so I struggle. However, for the last 6 months, I have been on the ball. I give myself treats on the weekends... sodas, ice cream, and liquor. Just make sure not to overtreat and ruin the weeks hard work.

Good luck.

titan
02-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I have been 25-35 pounds over where I want to be for the last 6 years. I exercised alot, tried to watch what I ate, but found I would soon put the weight back on after I lost a few pounds.

Then I tried slim-for-life, a weightloss clinic in the denver area. Lost 35 pounds in 3 months, and I have kept the weight off since September. Slim-for-life has a very structured program - if you do what they say you will lose weight. I have a sister in law who lost 60 lbs on the program, and another sister in law who has lost 70 lbs.

I found even though I was doing many of the right things on my own (exercise, drinking lots of water) my food intake was off. I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Slim for life taught me how to eat better.

Natedogg
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Great thread.

Just read through all 18! You guys fire me up. I'm 6'1" and weigh about 190-200 (i dont have a scale) want to get down to 180.

I've been doing my best to eat right. During the week, I eat a 6 inch healthy subway sub for lunch. I try and have small portions for dinner.

I walk 3-4 miles to/from work, school every day. Just got "the perfect pushup" which rules, and do that about every other day. I can't believe it but I actually started jogging --2 miles in 30 min, or so.

Im not really the gym type. I think I already know what my achelies heal is, i like to go out and drink 2-3 nights a week. Worse, the owner of one of the bars i go to is a wonderful chen and is always giving me free good food (unsolicited.)

Also I snack alot on chips and salsa (which looks healthy by reading the label) and generally try and eat smaller portions.

I'll try and keep giving you guys updates (for my benefit :) )

Good Work! I hope I can pick up on some of your success!

theAPAOps5
02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
For one week add up all the calories for what you eat. Figure out your daily intake and establish a baseline. Subtract from that baseline and add cardio workouts that elevate your heart rate. Might have to do a little more than walk, try hiking, or walking back and forth in a pool. Pretty soon the pants start fitting loose and it gets easier and easier.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I have a hard time not eating like royalty. That's the hardest obstacle I've come up against. I like prime rib, NY cuts, baked potatoes and corn with butter for dinner, pork chops with dressing and fried potatoes, fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy, fried catfish with fried potatoes and peas, butter on my muffin with three eggs over easy for breakfast. I still exercise the same way, but my belly barely moves. Salad? Ok, I can handle that, but it dang near kills me to do that without Marie's bleu cheese.

I figure for quality of life I'll have to walk more, lift more, do something, because it's really hurting me to not eat as well. I guess I'll have to find some more time for burning calories, because it's easier to find that than give up good food. It's really irritating to me to stop indulging. Summer is coming up so that means BBQ drumsticks, some teriyaki chicken, certainly baked potatoes, and what's a baked potato without butter? Jeez, I'm tired of diets. I'm gonna have to exercise more. I think that's the best bet. I'm gonna have to run hills again, because eating like a rabbit is really irritating me.

Spider
02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
There is no substitute for hard work fellas .... Manual labor

TheDave
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
There is no substitute for hard work fellas .... Manual labor

That chemical concoction i gave you in #35 kicks manual labors ass...;)

~Crash~
02-17-2008, 10:34 PM

start living like you were 50 pounds lighter the weight will come off . and drink an extra glass of watter at night and when you wake up . cut out foods with sugar and corn syurp in the first 5 ingerdents and last but not least stay away from hydrogenated fats all of them .

good oils are

Canola

olive oil

Orange_Beard
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Same here...(between 4-6 gained) after losing 24. New job and the holidays killed me.

I felt like I had good habits at my old job. My job is right by some incredible places to eat.

Plus the new job is boring. Hoping that will change. But right now I have found that I get "hungry" when it is slow.

SoDak Bronco
02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Swimming is a great way to exercise and it is easy on the joints. I swim on my lunch break, it is a good workout and it doesn't even seem that tough.

gunns
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I hate the word diet so just consider it watching what you eat and even more importantly how much you eat at one sitting. I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago by reducing the amount I ate at one sitting, watching the foods I eat during the week (the weekend is my reward), walking and weights. The final two you can do in your home. I joined a gym but found a lot of what I was doing there I could do at home.

Grover
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Montrose gave you some really good tips above. I hope you read for comprehension on that post. They other guy who said "eat less move more" is right on track as well. What it takes is a change in lifestyle. That change does NOT need to be hard, challenging or difficult. You just need to take small steps and once you change your mindset, the pound will come off.

I'd recommend getting the South Beach Diet book. I found from personal experience that you don't even need to follow the diet. The first half of the book is about retraining and reeducating you on what foods make you fat and what foods in what quantities/proportions you can eat to be healthy. There are a lot of personal accounts as well that are very motivating.

Drink plenty of water. More than you think you want or need. Drinking water helps speed your metabolism and keeps you full as well.

Find and exercise you enjoy doing. Walking is terrific if you like that. Doing simple things like walking at lunch at work, parking in the furthest away spot and walking to the store. Just do whatever you need to do to keep yourself moving.

I've been up and down in weight since I was ten years old and that's pushing 40 years now. Most recently, two years ago I weighed 212 and now I'm 187. I'm good at 187 but ten more pounds off would be GREAT. Good luck and remember that small positive steps are progress. Don't get discouraged.

Spider
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
That chemical concoction i gave you in #35 kicks manual labors ass...;)

;D dont be passing off your hippie potions on me

Bronco Billy
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Grover was right with the water. Also, eat breakfast. Eating something small in the morning starts your metabolism. I know that I'm he last guy to tell someone how to lose weight, but I did drop 69 lbs. in 4 months once. The first two weeks are the toughest.

gunns
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Find some alternate sources for protein that are low in calories and sugars. I personally like the Special K mixes (Iced Tea). 5g of sugar and only 30 calories. Drink one of those before a meal and you'll find yourself eating much less at lunchtime/dinnertime.

Ice Tea is my drink of choice now. If I don't make my own I buy Lipton's bottled unsweetened tea and add splenda.