PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NFL Combine Thread

elsid13
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
With the combine a day away who are you interesting in seeing and get feed back on. Plus maybe a mod will sticky this so we have a single thread to talk about the prospects' performance

Guys I want to see perform-

Doug Free - NUI OT
McGill - RB UNC
Mike Johson- S- Arizonia
SABBY PISCITELLI -S- OREGON ST
JACOBY JONES WR LANE

elsid13
02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
thanks to whatever mod stickied it.

Broncoman13
02-19-2007, 07:11 PM
There are too many to name.

1 guy I really want to see perform I can't name b/c I want to make sure I don't... ahh, never mind. He'll never make it back around to me (next pick in the 5th round!). Paul Williams. He has great size (6'1 200 lbs) and has arms of a guy that is 6'6 (35 or 36" if memory serves). He also has great speed (sub 4.4) and could be a steal in the draft. He doesn't run great routes and doesn't *seem* to have the greatest motivation so that is a concern. But, in terms of pure athleticsm he is a 2nd round talent. The combine/pro-day workouts could do a lot for him. If he runs in the 4.3 range and puts the 225 up 15x or more he'll draw a lot of attention to himself. Couple that with some good interviews and a solid performance catching the ball and his stock will soar. I guarantee there are more than a few scouts keeping a close eye on him. Again, solid performances over the next few days and then the coming weeks could put him at the top of the 2nd tier of WR's. That is, he would be in the company of Gonzalez, Stuckey, Davis, and Allison.

Broncoman13
02-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Did Marcus Mason get a combine invite? I really want to see what he does. If he runs well I see him as Maurice Jones-Drew II.

Sidney Rice... Right now I see him as more of a inside the 20 type of receiver. They say he's 6'4 and 200 lbs. He looks like he's 6'6 and 175 lbs. I've also seen him listed from a 4.4 to a 4.6. If he runs a 4.6 he'll run himself well into the 2nd round.

Very interested in Meachem's 40 time as well. I know he'll do well, but I'd like to see him run in the low 4.3's.

Carriker's 40 times and lift numbers will be interesting as well. I think he'll run in the 4.85 range. If he runs any faster he'll go off the board long before we pick at 23.

40 times for Lynch, Ross, Hughes, Moss, Griffin, Nelson, Landry, and Revis will all be closely watched. Good 40 times will put all but maybe one or two of those guys in the first round. Poor 40 times will move Ross, Hughes, Moss, Revis, and Griffin into the 2nd round.

SoCalBronco
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Ahh the combine...this is great. I need to get sick this week.

Obviously we cant wait to see the players, but I am also looking forward to being amused by Browns strength coach, John Lott. That guy is hilarious.

Requiem
02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
The safeties, defensive lineman and wide receivers. :)

elsid13
02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
according to this Mason wasn't an invite

http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2007invitees.php

SoCalBronco
02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Preparing for the Combine- Part 1

By TFY Draft Preview

Posted Feb 18, 2007

The most important job interview in the lives of 330 NFL prospects begins this Thursday at the RCA Dome. Most of these players have been training for their combine workouts over the past eight weeks. Many are well-prepared while others are struggling. Here's a look at the latest word swirling in scouting circles.

If you were to ask members of the scouting community who the most overrated player in this draft is, many will utter one word; "Michigan".

Scouts feel as a whole just about all of the Wolverines in this year's draft are presently graded too high. The Michigan prospects all have a lot hanging in the balance at the Combine and recent word is some of them have not been doing well.

Cornerback Leon Hall was badly exposed in the final two games of his college career when he faced Ted Ginn Jr. and Dwayne Jarrett respectively. Hall is barely holding on to a mid-first round grade and it could get worse.

Sources have told us if Hall does not run under 4.5-seconds at the Combine he could slip into the late part of round one, if not out of the initial frame altogether. In recent training Hall has struggled to break the 4.5-second barrier, his best time being a 4.45-seconds on a fast surface.

The story is worse for Lamarr Woodley. The productive college defensive end struggled during his first practice at the Senior Bowl, then pulled out of the event for what he claimed was a hamstring injury. That sent red-flags up amongst scouts who felt Woodley was just plain intimidated by the competition in Mobile.

Now comes word that Woodley's recent workouts have been terrible. So much so the thinking is he will skip the Combine altogether and rely solely on his pro-day workout for testing.

The news is not good for Texas cornerback Tarrell Brown, though it is not of his own doing.

Brown, who was finally healthy after suffering a foot injury last season, was training well in California until his father tragically passed away last week. Understandably Brown left for home and will miss the vital final week of training leading up to the Combine.

Running back Dwayne Wright has also been set back. The big interior ball carrier, who weighed in at over 220-pounds, was training hard to get his forty time below 4.7-seconds. This is vital as scouts are beginning to pigeonhole the record setting running back from Fresno State as a fullback. The thinking is that he is not fast enough to carry the ball at the next level.

Wright was not particularly focused during his training and was easily distracted as his family and friends were close at hand. His representatives moved him cross-country to seclude him in the hopes of getting his forty time down. Wright is now preparing for the Combine in Florida.

Some prospects are not fully recovered from injuries and are unlikely to run at the Combine.

Washington quarterback Isaiah Stanback is still not back to full health after suffering a foot injury in the middle of the season. Not ready to run, Stanback will take part in the bench press, a rarity for signal callers, and is expected to complete 25-repititions at 225-pounds.

The story is similar for another Pac-10 passer. Trent Edwards also missed a significant part of last season with a foot injury, and he will not be running this week. Like Stanback, the Stanford quarterback will voluntarily bench press for scouts and is hoping to complete somewhere around 23 reps.

Edwards is presently working with quarterback "guru" and former NFL coordinator Ted Tollner, who has been impressed with what he's seen out of the big passer. Edwards is presently scheduled to throw at the Combine.

Tomorrow we will concentrate on the players who are expected to turn in monster workouts at the Combine.

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/619934.html

watermock
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Blart will be praying for a peek at Adrian Peterson.

footstepsfrom#27
02-20-2007, 04:12 AM
according to this Mason wasn't an invite

http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2007invitees.php

That's unfortunate in one respect, but maybe he ducks under the radar a bit and just works out for a few teams. I wonder why he didn't get an invite? His numbers are huge and it's not like Youngstown State is Coffeeville Community College or something. I'm looking to see if he runs individually for some teams. At the combine I want to see what some of these other lesser known RB's do, including Germain Race, as well as Levi Brown and some of the D-line guys expected to go in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Drek
02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Was just listening to the 1st and 15 podcast by ESPN, McShay was on and said he thinks Jackson is a big guy to watch at the combine. 5'11", 212 lbs, but most importantly McShay expects him to run in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s.

Here's a youtube of him running at Nebraska(was posted here before):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

If he cracks the 4.3s I think we might know who Shanahan and Turner will want for RB from this class.

eddie mac
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Folks where would I get a breakdown of NFL Networks's TV coverage of this???

SpringStein
02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5367080,00.html

A really good piece from Legwold from this morning's RMN.

eddie mac
02-21-2007, 03:59 PM
LMFAO at this bit

Each team usually sends three doctors - often two orthopedists and one internist - and some add a radiologist to read X-rays. Combine organizers also provide a staff of doctors to help gather medical histories.

Where our guys on holiday the years we drafted Toviessi and Middleburst???

elsid13
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Folks where would I get a breakdown of NFL Networks's TV coverage of this???
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/combine_2007
Thursday, Feb. 22
2 p.m. ET: 2007 Scouting Combine Press Conferences (LIVE)
6:30 PM ET: Path to the Draft from the Scouting Combine
7 p.m. ET: NFL Total Access at the Scouting Combine (LIVE)

Friday, Feb. 23
6:30 PM ET: Path to the Draft from the Scouting Combine
7 p.m. ET: NFL Total Access at the Scouting Combine (LIVE)

Saturday, Feb. 24
11 a.m. ET: Workouts: Tight Ends, Kickers and Offensive Linemen (LIVE) (repeats at 4 & 8 p.m.)
7 p.m. ET/PT: NFL Total Access at the Scouting Combine (LIVE)

Sunday, Feb. 25
11 a.m. ET: Workouts: Quarterbacks, Running Backs and Wide Receivers (LIVE) (repeats at 4 & 8 p.m.)

Monday, Feb. 26
11 a.m. ET: Workouts: Linebackers and Defensive Linemen (LIVE) (repeats at 4 & 8 p.m.)

Tuesday, Feb. 27
11 a.m. ET: Workouts: Defensive Backs (LIVE) (repeats at 4 & 8 p.m.)

Wednesday, Feb. 28
8 p.m. ET/PT: 2007 NFL Scouting Combine Wrap-Up Show

BlitzingDog
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
The guy I am interested in a lot is Ramonce Taylor.

Mediator12
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
DL, DL, And oh DL.

In My mind there are 15 high quality DE's in this draft. I think there are at least 7 high quality DT's and five more with great upside in the right scheme. This is easily the best DL class in the last 8 years that I have been following the draft and doing the Combine. I can not wait for Monday Morning baby.

Broncoman13
02-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Moss, Spencer, Moses, Bazuin, Moore, Johnson, and Crowder. I got 10... who did I miss?

DT's... Branch, Tyler, Akoye, Harrell, Mebane, Pitcock, Thomas, and maybe Kareem Brown. Marcus Thomas is probably the 2nd or 3rd best DT in this draft in terms of talent on the field. Character concerns will push him down a bit. I wouldn't mind us taking him with our first 3rd but would go in knowing he could go IHOP on us in a hurry.

Oh, and add Ray McDonald to this list though I'm not sure he's in the top 10 of DE's, I know you're high on him.

shakenbake
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
The guy I am interested in a lot is Ramonce Taylor.

He has a ton of ability but is a dumb as a rock. He was kicked off Texas initially for grades and then got the final boot when he called the cops to report a crime while having a backpack full of weed in his car. I know a TA who had Romance in one of his classes and he said the guy just isn't that bright. However, he would give opponents lots of match-up problems because he can play WR and RB. He truly is a great athlete.

shakenbake
02-21-2007, 09:34 PM
I would like to see how Jarvis Moss would translate into Jim Bates System. I am really intrigued by him. He could be that guy off the edge we are looking for. Having watch Crowder play I wouldn't be upset with him either. He is a complete DE imho.

Mediator12
02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Moss, Spencer, Moses, Bazuin, Moore, Johnson, and Crowder. I got 10... who did I miss?

DT's... Branch, Tyler, Akoye, Harrell, Mebane, Pitcock, Thomas, and maybe Kareem Brown. Marcus Thomas is probably the 2nd or 3rd best DT in this draft in terms of talent on the field. Character concerns will push him down a bit. I wouldn't mind us taking him with our first 3rd but would go in knowing he could go IHOP on us in a hurry.

Oh, and add Ray McDonald to this list though I'm not sure he's in the top 10 of DE's, I know you're high on him.

McDonald, Woodley, Abiamiri, Alama-Francis of the ones selected in the Mock and one other on the board I will elaborate on after his selection. McDonald is probably a better UT at the next level but he could be a solid LDE as well. He just never got to specialize with all of Florida's turmoil.

Your DT's are the ones who are solid outside of Pitcock who I have some concerns. The others are still on the board except McBean who might be a better LDE than DT.

DBroncos4life
02-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Was just listening to the 1st and 15 podcast by ESPN, McShay was on and said he thinks Jackson is a big guy to watch at the combine. 5'11", 212 lbs, but most importantly McShay expects him to run in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s.

Here's a youtube of him running at Nebraska(was posted here before):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

If he cracks the 4.3s I think we might know who Shanahan and Turner will want for RB from this class.

No way is he that fast, but even if he is he runs with power. It would be like having both Bell's in one player, only he has better hands.

Traveler
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Tony Hunt

Drek
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
No way is he that fast, but even if he is he runs with power. It would be like having both Bell's in one player, only he has better hands.

Just reiterating what McShay was saying, he thinks Jackson could climb from a day 2 pick up into the 2nd or early 3rd on the back of a strong combine performance, said high 4.3 to low 4.4 40 time specifically as something to watch for.

I like how he runs, real good power for someone his size. You're dead on about his hands too, almost like a WR in terms of ball skills. If his 40 is that impressive I could see Shanahan taking him with either our 2nd or first 3rd.

DBroncos4life
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Just reiterating what McShay was saying, he thinks Jackson could climb from a day 2 pick up into the 2nd or early 3rd on the back of a strong combine performance, said high 4.3 to low 4.4 40 time specifically as something to watch for.

I like how he runs, real good power for someone his size. You're dead on about his hands too, almost like a WR in terms of ball skills. If his 40 is that impressive I could see Shanahan taking him with either our 2nd or first 3rd.

I guess I wouldn't be shocked if he ran that fast. I had no clue that Fabian was as fast as he was...(didn't really play that fast at NU) so who knows. I would love to draft Jackson with our first thrid rounder.

SoonerBronco
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Peterson was quoted saying he wants to run a sub 4.3...he ran an electronic timed 4.36 before last year...Gotta commend him for wanting to run. Most agents won't let the top five type guys do anything but get measured at the combine.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AP5RgOy5fjA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AP5RgOy5fjA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

elsid13
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Did anything happen today at the Combine?

SpringStein
02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Primarily weigh in. Here is a link to Brandt listing a few of the lightest/heaviest - tallest/shortest:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10014809

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Something is wrong with his article. There are several running backs shorter than 6'

elsid13
02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
All I know there are some big RB this year according to that article is the spread is only 11 pounds

Running backs
Tallest: Dante Rosario, Oregon, 6-foot-3 2/8
Shortest: Gijon Robinson, Missouri Western State, 6-foot-0 6/8
Heaviest: Gijon Robinson, Missouri Western State, 255 pounds
Lightest: Dante Rosario, Oregon, 244 pounds

SpringStein
02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
The weigh ins today were primarily OL & TE - could it be that they were the only 2 rb's to weigh in?

elsid13
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
The weigh ins today were primarily OL & TE - could it be that they were the only 2 rb's to weigh in?

I think if you read the schedule it was only certain RBs and QBs that checked in t ensure that everyone get through the process. It was just a little funny to read, but that could be the beer speaking ;D

Requiem
02-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Big news is Joe Staley hurt hammy, won't work thur.

elsid13
02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Big news is Joe Staley hurt hammy, won't work thur.

How?

SpringStein
02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_02.html#239901

From a Detroit beatwriter's view.

SoCalBronco
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Combine Insider: Media Room Live Updates

Leon Washington at the 2006 Combine (AP) By Scout.com

Posted Feb 22, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS, IND. -- Our team of roughly a dozen NFL writers and experts share their media room news and notes with you so you can find out what's happening off-camera. Check back throughout the day to find out what they're seeing and hearing in the media room that could impact your favorite team's draft plans!

NFL Draft Rankings
Free Agent Rankings

12:00 P.M.: Mike Tomlin:
-- Doesn't put much emphasis on the Wonderlic test, but does use the score to judge a player's "body of work."

-- Admitted the team is looking at ways to expand the amount of money it has under the salary cap, but said no decision has been made on the $1 million roster bonus due the declining Joey Porter in early March.

-- Offered advice for new Minnesota DC Leslie Frazier, but doubts he'll need.

-- Explained "the drudgery" Ben Roethlisberger will need to endure to become the elite quarterback he should become.

-- Didn't explain the new scheme -- the "3-3" -- he said the Steelers might use, but did say it'll be some type of amalgamation of a 3-4 and 4-3, and also joked that his lack of a track record should keep everyone guessing on draft day.

12:05 P.M.: UCLA Kicker Justin Medlock

-- He prepared for the Combine using Arena Football uprights which are about 3 yards tighter on each side. The L.A. Avengers practice at West Los Angeles Community College.

-- Feels kickoffs will be the most important skill for him to display because his results in that area dropped off a bit his senior year. He had an ankle injury he was coming back from (plant foot) while running stairs for conditioning at UCLA.

-- Doesn't feel that he will have any problem kicking in cold weather climates after kicking at UCLA. He played games in in the Northwest and was successful.

-- He hasn't done any prep for interviews, just continued his usual kicking routine.

-- His career long is 52 yards.

-- Never played any other football position. His background is in soccer.

-- Talked about his DUI incident in 2005 that was described as a hit and run in the papers. It was a single car accident and he walked to a gas station to get help, so the incident was originally portrayed worse in the media. Did community service work and talked to his teammates about the incident so they could learn from his mistake. While he regrets it deeply, he learned from the experience.

1:05 P.M.: Colorado kicker Mason Crosby

-- Always looking to improve - has been focusing specifically on onside kicks in the past few weeks.

-- Confident at any distance - has kicked 70 yard field goals in practice.

-- Not concerned about the altitude affecting the distance of his kicks. Made 5 field goals of 50+ yards last season, only one of which was in Colorado.

-- Hopeful that he'll get drafted in the first day. Has extensive knowledge of kickers taken in other drafts in the 1st day (specifically mentioned Kaeding, Jankowski, Nugent). Matt Stover has been a mentor for him. Both are from the Austin, TX area.

-- Stayed for senior year and graduated with Communications degree.

-- Likes the pressure of clutch kicks - very successful in 4th quarter - even since high school.

-- Had an 87-yard kickoff vs. Iowa State last season.

-- Measured in at 6-foot-1 3/8 inches tall and weighed 212 pounds.

12:20 P.M.: Ohio State WR Ted Ginn

-- Ginn talked about his ankle injury that he suffered in the National Championship game. Ginn said he was hurt during the celebration, he noted that he wasn't celebrating so much as it was a team thing. He believed that Rory Nichol slipped as he grabbed Ginn causing his weight to come down on Gionn and Ginn's ankle bent back awkwardly.

-- Ginn informed the media that some of the teams have been speaking to him about playing cornerback. Ginn admits he has missed playing the position.

-- Ginn talked about his family and the community of Cleveland and how they have impacted his life. He believes that none of this would be possible without them.

-- Ginn feels Devin Hester and his success has helped raise his value. Ginn admits to looking at Hester and feeling that he will be capable of some of the same things.

1:50 P.M.: Notre Dame OL Ryan Harris -- Weighed in at 6-foot-4, 305 pounds.

-- Played three seasons at left tackle and one at right tackle.

-- Said playing in Charlie Weiss’s system should be an advantage. Has started every game in college.

-- Said his strongest competition in college was Mathias Kiwanuka and Anthony Spencer.

-- Had back surgery on July 27 and played six weeks later.

-- Converted to Islam as an eighth-grader and went to a Catholic high school (Cretin Derham Hall) and college (Notre Dame) and is the only Muslim in his family.

-- Extremely interested in politics and would like to be the governor of Minnesota.

2:15 P.M.: Northern Illinois OL Doug Free

-- Recruited by Wisconsin and other schools, but no one offered him a scholarship. He was about 240 pounds back then and no one knew what position he'd play.

-- Started every game at NIU.

-- Played through a stress fracture in his foot for last 10 games of last season. It's fine now.

-- Only played LT since high school.

-- Almost gave up football to work on a farm and pursue that full time. Worked on farms in one capacity or another from Jr. High through Sophomore year in college.

-- Dragged tires and sleds at training camp. Won all tire drag/sled drag/strength challenges at NIU every year there.

HUGE guy. Size 20 ring, giant hands, 6'6 1/2", 324 pounds.

Confident, collected, well spoken.

2:40 P.M.: Rutgers OL Cameron Stephenson

-- Took a year off after high school. Attended junior college after that.

-- Spent two years at Rutgers. Started at DT. Moved to guard. Played mostly guard through football life and high school.

-- Worked at FedEx as a Checker/Sorter to raise money for his family before going back to school.

-- Rutgers was the first school to offer him a scholarship, so he took it. He's from Los Angeles, so that was a weird turn of events.

-- Cousin played for University of Houston and attended Combine last year. Gave him tips on Psyche Evaluations.

-- Liked blocking for the two backs at Rutgers. "I know if they do well, they'll buy me dinner."

-- Measured in at 6'3", 306 pounds.

2:48 P.M.: Arizona State TE Zach Miller

-- Weighed in at 6-4 3/8 and 256 pounds.

-- Conversations with Todd Heap helped his decision to come out, along with a new coaching staff being put in place at ASU.

-- Said the comparisons to Heap help motivate him.

-- Nicknamed the “The Truth” by a teammate that said all his recruiting hype was true after he made a one-handed catch in a freshman practice.

-- Versatility as an H-back and TE should help with his transition to the NFL.

-- Thinks he’s a better blocker than receiver.

-- Hopes to run a 4.7 in the 40-yard dash.

-- Said Dallas Clark is a great mold of a well-rounded tight end.

3:10 P.M.: Georgia TE Martrez Milner.

-- His coaches say he’s a better blocker than receiver.

-- Says he has to be versatile to make it in the NFL.

-- Feels he catches the hard throws and drops some easier passes, citing a lack of concentration.

-- Another former Georgia TE, Ben Watson, who has been known to be inconsistent catching the ball, tells him to just keep working at it.

-- Also played LB, DE and WR in high school, along with being a power forward in basketball.

-- Will do a full workout.

3:15 P.M.: Fresno State OT Chris Denman

-- Measured in at 6’6” 3/8 – 315 lbs.

-- Yesterday, as with most players here, was consumed with medical tests and interviews.

-- Trained at a place called Plex in Houston. Did mock combine training.

-- Last year’s season was tough for him and for Fresno State.

-- Walk-on at Fresno State because he was to go on a church mission. After playing on a high school all-star game, he decided that football was for now. Had been recruited by several WAC schools – Boise State, Idaho, Col. State, but Fresno was the school who took him on after he changed his mind. Got a full ride after his first quarter.

--He talks to alum Logan Mankins occasionally.

-- He was a redshirt DE, then freshman redshirt at OT. He really liked the position switch.

-- It’s been nice of late, in his eyes, for Fresno State to get recognition at the NFL level – Senior bowl attendance and such.

3:49 P.M.: Joe Staley, LT, Central Michigan:

--Trained with Brad Hopkins.

--Measured 6' 5 7/8", 305 pounds 10 1/4" hands.

--Pulled hamstring. Won't run 40 or do any drills. Tested it on Tuesday and it didn't feel right. Said he's about 80%.

--Working out at his Pro Day.

--Projects himself late 1st round, early 2nd round. Says that he doesn't see a dramatic drop-off between him and the top 2 prospects (Thomas and Brown) because of his athletic ability. Says that all you have to do is watch the film.

4:40 P.M.: Oklahoma State OT Corey Hilliard -- 6-5, 308, 10.5 hand span.

-- Played both left and right tackle at Oklahoma State and said his toughest opponent was Adam Carriker because of his speed, strength and tenacity.

-- Believes scouts appreciate his agility and foot speed and has heard he'll be drafted in the fifth round.

4:45 P.M. Nevado-Reno TE Anthony Pudewell

-- On what kind of attention he is receiving at the Combine:

"Yesterday I had conversations with about 15 different teams, and no scheduled interviews yet. So nothing specific."

-- On which NFL tight end he likes to watch: "I like to pattern my game after Jeremy Shockey. He's a good blocker, and he's pretty fiery out there. You see him yelling at everybody. He can also catch the ball obviously. He's got great hands."

-- On what his Combine experience has been like so far:

"It's been quite an experience. You come in as a little freshman in college and never think you're going to be here. You just work your tail off every day. It's pretty stressful, but you kind of enjoy it. Not everyone can be here, and a lot of people deserve it."

4:48 P.M.: Iowa TE Scott Chandler

-- Measured in at 6-foot-7, 270 pounds.

-- Weighed 215 pounds as a high school wide receiver, 225 as a freshman wide receiver, then 235, 250 and 262 as a tight end.

-- Says he is progressing as a blocker and the Senior Bowl was his best blocking performance.

-- Ran a 4.75-4.76 at his junior pro day.

4:50 P.M.: Miami TE Greg Olsen

-- Measured 6-foot-5 7/8 and 254 pounds.

-- Was a long snapper as a freshman.

-- Originally signed with Notre Dame, then transferred to Miami when his brother left Notre Dame.

-- Thinks a well-rounded tight end has the most value in the NFL.

-- Says he’s “adequate” at blocking.

-- Already has his degree in criminology and political science, which was part of his decision to come out as junior.

-- Says he’s not as emotional as former Hurricane Jeremy Shockey.

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/620825.html

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks SoCal

-Slap-
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
How?

Falling off a mountain of hype?

-Slap-
02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_02.html#239901

From a Detroit beatwriter's view.

Charles Rogers' workout with the Chiefs less than stellar
10:40 a.m. Thursday
According to a league source, Charles Rogers ran a 4.8 in the 40 during his recent workout with the Kansas City Chiefs.

I've been asking some people around the league if they believe Rogers will be invited to somebody's training camp. I'm getting pretty much the same answer: Rogers is out of shape and really isn't showing much interest in ever playing football again.

The guy is frigging Ryan Leaf.

Clockwork Orange
02-23-2007, 02:13 AM
The guy is frigging Ryan Leaf.

Makes you wonder if he saved any of that signing bonus the Lions gave him.

-Slap-
02-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Makes you wonder if he saved any of that signing bonus the Lions gave him.

What he hasn't pissed away, or been suckered out of, will probably be slowly siphoned away in child support. That's the SOP for the majority of these chumps.

elsid13
02-23-2007, 05:00 AM
I really like this kid for a 3 rounder: *From Socal post

2:15 P.M.: Northern Illinois OL Doug Free

-- Recruited by Wisconsin and other schools, but no one offered him a scholarship. He was about 240 pounds back then and no one knew what position he'd play.

-- Started every game at NIU.

-- Played through a stress fracture in his foot for last 10 games of last season. It's fine now.

-- Only played LT since high school.

-- Almost gave up football to work on a farm and pursue that full time. Worked on farms in one capacity or another from Jr. High through Sophomore year in college.

-- Dragged tires and sleds at training camp. Won all tire drag/sled drag/strength challenges at NIU every year there.

HUGE guy. Size 20 ring, giant hands, 6'6 1/2", 324 pounds.

Confident, collected, well spoken.

SpringStein
02-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Calvin Johnson weighed in at 239! Wonder if he'll run the 40 at that weight?

elsid13
02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
did anyone have a list the offical height and weight year yet. Both Rice and Meachem looked good on NFL ACCESS Show

elsid13
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
from
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10017089
Quarterbacks
Tallest: Jordan Palmer, UTEP, 6-foot-5 5/8
Shortest: Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech 5-foot-10 5/8
Heaviest: JaMarcus Russell, LSU, 265 pounds
Lightest: James Pinkney, East Carolina, 208 pounds
Running backs
Tallest: Cory Anderson, Tennessee, 6-foot-2
Shortest: Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois, 5-foot-7
Heaviest: Leron McClain, Alabama, 256 pounds
Lightest: Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois, 186 pounds
Wide receivers
Tallest: Matt Trannon, Michigan State, 6-foot-6
Shortest: Syndric Steptoe, Arizona, 5-foot-8 5/8
Heaviest: Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech, 239 pounds
Lightest: Yamon Figurs, Kansas State, 174 pounds

elsid13
02-23-2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/scoutingcombine.html

also has results. Looks like Tony Smith is 6'00 feet even

elsid13
02-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Both Peterson and Lynch to run!!! and do all workouts accord to Draft Countdown

Kaylore
02-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Manuel Ramirez is going to be awesome. The guy is so huge and and so strong. He was the best guard at the Senior Bowl and threw up 40 reps today. He is going to make some team very very happy.

SoCalBronco
02-23-2007, 11:19 PM
A A A A A

Live from Indy! Scout.com's Combine Blog

Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn By Scout.com

Posted Feb 23, 2007

Scout.com's staff of NFL writers and experts bring you all the Combine buzz directly from the media room in Indianapolis. Find out what the players and coaches are saying from the podiums and off-camera by staying logged on and checking for updates throughout the day.

NFL Draft Rankings
Free Agent Rankings
Combine News Feed

The NFL Scouting Combine has kicked off in Indianapolis and Scout.com is there in full force with NFL Experts Tom Marino and Adam Caplan, a strong contingency of NFL publishers and a few of our college football experts Bob Lichtenfels, Miller Safrit and Scott Kennedy.
5:00 p.m.The NFL has concluded with the media session of Day 2 at the combine. Be sure to keep an eye on Scout.com and the Story Index as we now fill in more detailed reports gathered from the day's events including interviews and analysis from the team at Scout.

4:59 p.m. More on Brady Quinn of Notre Dame. He measured in at 6-foot-3 and 233 pounds. Called playing for an experienced NFL coach like Charlie Weis a “gift from God” as he goes through his Combine and predraft process. Credited Weis with helping him move on quickly after throwing interceptions.

“I’ve been able to prepare for multiple NFL offenses by playing for Weiss and Willingham.”

Quinn found another anamoly amongst draftniks and mock drafts that have said his stock has been on the decline.

I don’t understand how some people can say I’m slipping when I haven’t done anything since playing my last game, but yeah being the No. 1 overall pick is a goal of mine. I’d like to play right away in the NFL. Every quarterback wants to step up and play.”

“I’m a big believer in fundamentals. You can never be accurate enough,” he said, later adding that he’d tell any NFL general manager that asked why he should be the No. 1 pick that “I’m the most prepared collegiate player in this draft.”

Quinn won’t do the physical drills, but came to the Combine to do the medical and mental testing and build relationships.

4:32 p.m. Northern Illinois RB Garrett Wolfe models himself after another small running back that plays every down - Warrick Dunn. But he wanted everyone at the Combine to know that he still packs a punch. "People are always knocking me and questioning my size, but look at what I have done against teams like Ohio State." He's already had some interest from more teams than he expected (mostly talking to him about returning kicks and creating match-up problems by splitting him wide) but he wants to be an every-down back for an NFL team. Due to a hamstring injury, he won't be running the 40 until his Pro Day workout at Northern Illinois.

4:19 p.m. Running Back Michael Bush of Louisville lost a lot of his last year to injury. “I feel kind of like the underdog that people forgot about me after my injury. I was up to 261 pounds before my injury, and I’m at 243 right now. My body fat percentage went from 19% to 13%. I feel and look as good as I ever have in my entire life.”

4:18 p.m.Brady Quinn was asked about the biggest obstacle he had overcome in his life? “In my Life? Wow, that’s a big question,” Quinn said with a laugh. “Let’s just keep this to a football sense, and I think the biggest obstacle I overcame was when Coach Willingham left. That was really gut check time. All of the reasons you came to Notre Dame all of a sudden were flushed down the toilet. But I think it showed a lot of leadership that I was able to rally the troops with me and this senior class. We showed a lot of leadership by buying into Coach Weis’ system and having two pretty good season.” Quinn isn’t going to test while he is at the combine, but he may throw.

4:10 p.m.Offensive Guard Marshal Yanda of Iowa measured 6-3 and 3/8th and just over 300 pounds. A big hit he put on an Iowa State player this year is the stuff of legends, but Yanda downplayed it. “I don’t like to make too big a deal of it, because the guy wasn’t looking. I like to be physical, but I was kind of nervous when he didn’t get up for a while. I like to be physical, but you don’t want to hurt anyone.”

4:03 p.m.Offensive Tackle Tony Ugoh of Arkansas was given a hypothetical question to answer. “I’m a general manager, tell me why I should trust you to protect my quarterback.” Ugoh answered that actions speak louder than words. “I’m not going to tell you to trust me. I’m going to show you that you can trust me. I’m going to work hard and earn your trust.”

3:59 p.m.Offensive Guard Mansfield Wrotto of Georgia Tech was a starter on the defensive line before he moved to offense. “It was a mutual decision between me and the coaching staff. I was a starter, so it’s not like I wasn’t playing, but I wanted to get more reps, and I felt more comfortable in our scheme on offense.” The move paid off as the Yellow Jacket is now an NFL Combine invite as an offensive lineman.

3:47 p.m. Connecticut FB Deon Anderson said that he'll do a full workout at the Combine and believes that two things will be a real asset in landing with a pro team. He's played football since he was 8 years old and has only ever missed one game due to an injury. Ironically, it was the last game of his senior year against Louisville after he got a "stinger" the previous week. But he also believes his love for special teams work will standout to pro personnel as he has a love for breaking wedges.

3:44 p.m. Auburn running back Kenny Irons talks almost as fast as he runs, and he was holding court with the press as he fielded questions. He was asked if Auburn would have been his destination even if his brother David wasn’t already there. “Yes, that’s where I still would have gone. They were my second choice when I chose South Carolina out of High School. I didn’t go there the first time, because they already had Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs on the team. I would have competed, but I think I might have gotten lost in the shuffle.”

Irons measured 5-11/203 and has received the most interest from the Green Bay Packers. He met with their staff for "20 to 25 minutes" Thursday night. Irons believes he'll run in the low 4.4s, and he'd better because he has a bet with his brother, CB David Irons, and if he doesn't run a 4.45 he's not allowed back in the house.

3:33 p.m. Romeo Crennel, head coach of the Cleveland Browns, reiterated a comment made by Tom Coughlin earlier today about having two strong running backs. “I think running backs take the NFL take a pounding, and if you can have two guys back there that can share the load, I think it helps them last the whole year.”

3:16 p.m. Running Back Ken Darby of Alabama expressed disappointment in his senior season based on his health among other things. “Nothing seemed to go right for me last year. I think I came into the season a little overweight and was battling a knee injury. I’m looking forward to showing everyone that I’m the same guy they remembered from years past.” It wasn’t all negative for Darby though. “I finished as the No. 3 rusher in Alabama History. I wanted No. 1,” Darby added with a laugh, “but I’m happy with No. 3. I think my favorite memories at Alabama were my first start against Southern Miss and winning the Cotton Bowl.”

3:11 p.m.Le'Ron McClain of Alabama is arguably the top fullback in the country. He weighed in at 253 pounds. “That’s actually up about three pounds from my playing weight. I’ve put on some muscle,” McClain added with a grin. When asked if he had met with the new coaching staff at Alabama yet. “I got to meet with Coach Saban at my senior banquet and talk with him. I also met with some of the position coaches there too. I know they’ve got them working hard down there. They’ll be ready to go.

3:05 p.m. Dwayne Wright is a running back from Fresno State that compares himself to Frank Gore. "We have a similar running style and he had major knee surgery, too," Wright said. "Him and Willis McGahee have been big inspirations. They faced adversity well. I'm looking to follow in their footsteps." Wright tore his patella tendon two years ago and said every NFL team examined him at least twice. He's received the most interest from the Carolina Panthers; met with Coach John Fox and the full offensive staff Thursday night.

3:02 p.m.Offensive Guard Tim Duckworth of Auburn played just about every sport in high school, and he joked about his style of playing basketball. “I played baseball, football, track, basketball; I played just about everything in high school. I played center in basketball, and I was the Dennis Rodman on our team,” Duckworth said with a laugh. Duckworth measured 6-3 and 304 pounds.

2:56 p.m.: Running Back Tyrone Moss of Miami measured 5-9 and 231 pounds, and he plans to do a full workout. A knee injury will be closely scrutinized here, but he’s confident he’s healthy. “I had surgery on it in November of 2005, but I think I tried to rush it. By the middle of the (2006) season, I was ready to go.” Moss is getting a lot of comparisons with a former teammate that hit it big this year. “A lot of people compare me to Frank Gore. I have a lot of respect for him and his ability to come back from two ACL surgeries.

2:54 p.m.:Colts president Bill Polian stated that he was "saddened and troubled" by the recent DUI arrest of upcoming unrestricted free agent RB Dominic Rhodes, but stressed that he doesn't have all the facts yet. He also addressed the recent restructuring of quarterback Peyton Manning's contract that cleared substantial cap space for the team. Polian said that he was a bit surprised by the attention the move drew, because from his point of view it was the "garden variety" of restructuring that the team had planned on since the day the contract was originally signed. He also acknowledged that the team still doesn't have much cap space to work with at this point.

2:48 p.m.: Kansas Running Back Jon Cornish was asked about having something to prove coming from a traditional basketball school. “Yeah, we always have something to prove. Kansas isn’t respected too much as a football school, and I want to change that. I’m the only one here this year, and we had one guy here last year, so we always have something to prove.”

2:45 p.m.: Rutgers fullback Brian Leonard has lost some weight since the Senior Bowl, and he believes that’s going to help him. “I’ve lost 12 pounds since the Senior Bowl, and I think that makes me a more versatile back. I think my style best fits a West Coast offense. I’ve tried to pattern my game after Roger Craig.”

2:43 p.m. Green Bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy told the media that he expected Brett Favre to be in camp with the Packers doing full workouts. When asked about about pressing needs heading into the draft, McCarthy had a simple answer, "Improvement."

2:38 p.m.:Penn State running back Tony Hunt said he was motivated during his career with the constant talk of people telling him he was going to split carries despite the success he was having. He also feels his experience at Penn State is going to pay off. “I think that playing in two different styles of offense at Penn State is going to help me on the next level.”

2:36 p.m.: Kody Bliss of Auburn had four punts over 50 yards, with a long of 54 yards.

Brendan Carney of Syracuse had five punts over 50 yards, with a long of 57 yards and did a solid job in his directional punting.

Adam Podlesh of Maryland had two punts over 50 yards with a long of 53. He also had the best hang time of the group, with two punts registering over five-second hang times.

Daniel Sepulveda of Baylor two punts over 50 yards with a long of 56.

2:35 p.m.Gary Russell, RB, Minnesota measured in at 5-foot-10, 229 pounds Appealed to be reinstated numerous times after being declared academically ineligible at Minnesota, saying it was “me just being lazy” with going to his classes. Considers himself more of a downhill runner like Marion Barber.

2:29 p.m.: Texas Running Back Selvin Young is ready to work out. “I’ve put in a lot of time and effort to make sure I’m healthy and ready to go, and I’m ready to work out.” He was asked if he had any favorite teams growing up or any kind of preference on where he’d like to play. “I’m a football player man. Just give me a helmet, shoulder pads, and a mouthpiece, and I’m good to go.”

2:26 p.m.: Oklahoma Running Back Adrian Peterson is blessed with great size and speed, and he 6-1.5 and 217 pounds. He was immediately asked about the injuries in his career. “The ankle injury that I had as a sophomore is completely healed, and I played in the bowl game after my collar bone injury. The doctors told me that it would heal on its own and not need any surgery, and once it was healed it would be stronger than before it was broken.” Peterson isn’t afraid to show what he can do, and he will be competing in all of the drills and tests at the NFL Combine.

2:20 p.m.: on the lack of speed at Notre Dame. “I don’t know if that’s really true or not. It’s a fast game. When we lost, it wasn’t because teams were so much faster than us. We just lost.” Walker will participate in full workouts here as well. “I’m here to perform, and I feel that’s what I should do. So I’ll do everything here.”

2:15 p.m.:Ohio State running back Antonio Pittman weighed in at 207 pounds, and he was proud to have put on the weight. “I think I weighed more than people were expecting, so that’s a good thing.” When asked if it might sacrifice some of his speed: “No… It was all good weight.”

2:07 p.m.: Cal running back Marshawn Lynch has a lot of versatility, and he’s looking forward to showing it off in the NFL. “I like lining up in the slot and set up some one on ones and get into space.” The 5-11, 215-pounder expects to run in the 4.3s after being timed at 4.36 on Feb. 7. One of his coaches, upon seeing several mock drafts with Lynch going to Green Bay, told him to ‘get your hat, your gloves and your coat because it's cold up there.’ “But that's alright with me," said Lynch. A self-proclaimed momma's boy, Lynch said: "The first thing I'm going to do when I sign my contract is buy her a house, even if it's in Green Bay."

2:05 p.m.: Florida Running Back Deshawn Wynn took a reduced role on his way to a BCS Championship, and he thinks he’s ready for the next level. “I feel like I’m ready for the NFL. I’m ready to get back to a more traditional offense, one that I’m more used to with an I-Formation or something. It was a little frustrating sometimes not getting the ball a lot at Florida, but we were winning, so what do you say?”

Wynn spoke at length about how important it is for him to prove himself to NFL scouts and make his way on an NFL roster. He wants to prove he's fast enough and that he can run out of standard formations after years of working in "gadget" offenses at Florida. He has the size (5'10 6/10", 232 pounds), he wants to flash his speed and show that he has "a little burst that you're not expecting." He'll be doing a full workout at the combine and hopes to follow in the footsteps of his idol Shaun Alexander, "A guy with some speed that isn't flashy that puts up numbers and wears you down."

SoCalBronco
02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Con't

1:59 p.m.: Fresno State Wide Receiver Paul Williams has a brother, J.D. Williams, that played DB for the Buffalo Bills during their Super Bowl seasons and later coached against Paul as a DBs coach at Washington. When Paul was asked if J.D could've covered him, Paul said, "Never. Quote me on that. Never." Checked in at 6-1, 205 and is coming off a workout in which he ran a 4.36 40.

1:49 p.m.: UTEP WR Johnnie Lee Higgins said that he's hoping to run a 4.1 forty at the Combine. "If I run a 4.1 that would be really great," he said. He said he's run a 4.18 forty at spring training his junior year that was timed electronically. And he's prepared to do whatever it takes to get on the field at the NFL level -- wide receiver, kickoff return or punt return.

1:45 p.m.:Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson was asked about the bowl game where he had limited time. “It was a little frustrating not being able to play. I wish we could have won that game, but we didn’t. It was a great game though, and we had a great season.:

1:34 p.m.: New Hampshire WR David Ball caught 58 touchdown passes to break the D-1AA career record held by Jerry Rice. Ball went on Rice's radio show after breaking his record and the first question Rice asked was: "Why did you break my record?" Said Ball: He's always been a great competitor and he always will be." Ball checked in at 6-0.7/8, 196 and is hoping to run a Rice-like 4.60 forty.

1:30 p.m.: South Carolina athlete Syvelle Newton measured in at 6-0 / 218, and after playing several positions in college, there’s no doubt where he’ll play in the NFL. “I’m here to work out as a receiver. Quarterback was fun while it lasted. I got a chance to play quarterback for Coach Spurrier and Coach Holtz, and it was great. I’m getting compared to guys like Hines Ward and Randel El, and I’m just trying to do what they did.”

1:17 p.m.:Wide Receiver Sidney Rice of South Carolina was asked about the quarterback controversy at South Carolina. He was asked who he preferred between Blake Mitchell and Syvelle Newton. “Neither, I just preferred who threw me the ball,” Rice said with a laugh.

1:15 p.m.:LSU Quarterback JaMarcus Russell could end up being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Teams are going to have to wait to see him again throw the ball though. He will not be working out at the NFL Combine. He is here for his physicals and interviews only.

1:15:QB Jeff Rowe said that after receiving offers from Cal and Arizona State, he decided to commit to Nevada-Reno to stay close to home and he thought he fit the system. He's certainly got the measurables (6'5", 226) and says that he can make all the throws (has been practicing the 15 yard out and said he's not going to try throwing a ball through a goal post from his knees). He's looking to prove to NFL scouts that he has the skills and ability to compete at the next level.

1:08 p.m.: Miami Dolphins General Manager Randy Mueller on re-signing Vonnie Holiday. “Cam and I discussed it, and we both thought our No. 1 priority this year was keeping our defense together. I think Vonnie has some good years left to play, and one day, that signing could be seen as a bargain.”

12:59 p.m.:Quarterback Troy Smith of Ohio State when asked if the season was bittersweet, Smith answered good naturedly. “It wasn’t bittersweet, it was sweet. Just because we didn’t finish the season the way we wanted to, was no reason to sour on the whole year and what we accomplished.

12:51 p.m.: Wide Receiver Rhema McKnight of Notre Dame was asked to describe his game a little bit, and he takes pride in doing everything well. “I see myself as a complete receiver. If we need a first down, I can be that guy, and if we need to go downfield, I can do that too. I try and do everything.”

12:50 p.m.: Wide Receiver Courtney Taylor of Auburn is one of the more animated players here, and he was asked if he took pride in having been the only team to beat Florida this year. “Of course. Of Course you take pride in it, but at the same time, they got the title. I’m here with guys like Dallas Baker and I tease them all the time, and they say ‘Yeah, but we got the hardware,’ and all I can say is “you’re right!’”. He said he's receiving real interest from the Browns. He sat down Thursday night with Paul Warfield. "They told me they need a No. 2 guy. Sounds great. I love the opportunity just to play football." Taylor measured in at 6-1.4, 204.

12:49 p.m.: Tennessee Wide Receiver Robert Meachem is part of a large contingent of Tennessee Wide Receivers here, and he was asked what it meant to have two teammates here. “Me, Brett Smith and Jayson Swain are all here. We want to bring back Wide Receiver U back to Tennessee, and the only way we were going to do that was with hard work and dedication.”

12:44 p.m.:Chris Leak measured in at 5-11 and 7/8th inch. He talked a lot about working with Norv Turner and how Coach Turner really helped him with his confidence and knows he can play in this league. “Height isn’t going to be an issue. In my career at Florida, my linemen were between 6-5 and 6-8, and like Coach Turner said, height isn’t an issue.”

12:34 p.m. – Tony Dungy – I’ve tried to flip the switch mentally, but it’s hard. We’re in a great town here in Indianapolis and a lot of people are still excited about the win, and it makes you excited, but we do have to move on to next year.

12:26 p.m. Michigan State quarterback Drew Stanton was asked about a disappointing season. “I try and take a positive out of everything. It’s how you handle adversity. At the next level you’re not always going to be successful, and I think I’ve become a stronger person because of it.” When asked about JaMarcus Russell, Stanton laughed. “I’ve begged him to stay for one more year. I think he’s a great person and he deserves all of the attention he’s getting.”

12:24 p.m.: Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Herman Edwards talked a little about the NFL Draft process. “You draft guys that play the way you want them to play, and guys that fit your scheme. That’s what makes the draft so unique. Sometimes you have guys anticipating you’re going to draft one guy, but you take another. Then they ask you why you took the other guy. Maybe he fit our system just a little bit better. Guys have to play early now.

12:20 p.m.: Dwayne Bowe of LSU is arguably the best blocking wide receiver in the draft, so it was no surprise how he answered when he was asked which got his teammates more excited, a big block, or a big catch. “I’d have to say a big block. I got a lot of ‘ooohs’ from my teammates with a good crack back block.”

12:12 p.m.:Michigan wide receiver Steve Breaston was asked what separated him from some of his classmates in what is a deep wide receiver class. “My return ability. I think my ability to return punts and kicks helps make a difference for me.”

12:07 p.m.: Brigham Young Quarterback John Beck was asked if there was any pressure playing that position at a school with such great tradition. “Definitely, there’s pressure, but it’s something I’d always wanted to do since I was a little kid. It was an honor being able to follow in the footsteps of guys like Steve Young, Ty Detmer, and Jim McMahon.”

11:59 a.m.: Detroit Lions Head Coach Rod Marinelli talked about getting his house in order first before looking outside for help. “Our first priority is our own team. We’ll be looking at our own team and evaluating it first. Then we’ll try to add to it with free agency and the draft.” What is the most important thing you’ll be looking at? “People. There are a lot of good players out there. We’re looking at character.”

11:42 a.m.: Jacksonville Head Coach Jack Del Rio was asked about the combine and what it was like when he came through. “Yeah, I remember what I ran here, but I’m not going to share it with all of you,” Del Rio said with a laugh. “Luckily for me, the Saints didn’t over emphasize the forty time. The forty is a tool. It’s one thing to grade or measure, but at the end of the day, we’re looking for football players that make plays.”

11:38 a.m.: Ohio State wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez was asked about the BCS Championship game and if it stuck with him. “It’s definitely a sore spot. You spend hours and hours and hours preparing to make sure your career doesn’t end like that, but it did. That’s real. That’s the reality, and you accept it and try to move on.” When asked what he would bring to the NFL. “What I hope to bring, and what I plan to bring is consistency, reliability and accountability. And it’s those three things on and off the field.”

11:33 a.m.: –Houston quarterback Kevin Kolb – what do you think when you hear the term “system quarterback”. “I expected it. A lot of people try and compare me to David Klingler and Andre Ware who were great players, but didn’t have as successful NFL Careers as they would have liked. But it’s different coaches, and it’s different systems. That’s why I went to the senior bowl to show what I could do. I’ll take any challenge that someone wants to put in front of me.”

11:27 a.m.: Pittsburgh quarterback Tyler Palko was the first of four quarterbacks that were all brought into the media room at once. He was asked if being around Dave Wannstedt helped him. “I think it helped me. He runs the program like it’s an NFL Program.”

11:20 a.m. Packers GM Ted Thompson spoke the media, and was quickly asked about RB Ahman Green. Thompson said that optimism is a "sticky phrase", but that the Packers want Green back and that Green's future with the club is up to the business side of the organization. The Packers, contended Thompson, can't act out of fear that a weak free agent class and high salary cap will lead to Green being overpaid on the free agent market.

11:15 a.m. More from Penn State OT Levi Brown. When asked, said the toughest defender he faced all year was Purdue DE Anthony Spencer. Brown put his mouth up to the microphone and said "Anthony Spencer is tough. He's the best defensive end in this draft. You all should draft him."

11:01 a.m. New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin addressed the media. One of the questions that was asked was if Brandon Jacobs could be the feature running back, or would they be shopping for another. Coughlin said that he thought Jacobs could be the guy, but that he thinks you need two players at the position.

10:55 a.m. Offensive lineman Doug Datish of Ohio State measured 6-4 1/4 and 302 Pounds. He poked a little fun about the process this week. He answered on a questionnaire that asked if he ever had back pain, and he answered occasionally. “So I spent six hours at the hospital yesterday getting two MRIs and a CAT Scan for my occasionally stiff back,” Datish said with a grin and a thick dose of sarcasm.

10:46 a.m. Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson addressed the media. The first question was about Ahman Green, and Thompson stated that he has told anyone that will listen that he wants Green back. Now it’s up to the business side of things to come together to make it happen.

10:31 a.m. Levi Brown, offensive tackle Penn State. When asked to make the case why he should be the No. 1 Offensive Tackle taken, Brown said, “I’m a great athlete. I work hard. I have the ability to dominate anyone. Whether or not I’m taken No.1, I do plan on making a lot of pro bowls,” he added with a good natured grin.

10:00 a.m. Wide Receiver Aundrae Allison of East Carolina weighed in at 6-0 and 198 pounds. An interesting note, he didn’t play football until his junior year of high school. His coach wanted him to come out, because he thought it would make him more aggressive for basketball.

9:35 a.m. The Cleveland Browns won the coin toss over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this morning for the rights to the third pick in the NFL Draft. Tampa Bay called heads and the coin landed on heads. The Buccaneers wil select fourth.

9:30 a.m. Activity in the media room will reach a much higher pace than on Thursday, with 15 press conferences scheduled for head coaches and general managers. Friday's player visits to the media room will primarily include quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/621083.html

BlitzingDog
02-24-2007, 12:07 AM
All I know there are some big RB this year according to that article is the spread is only 11 pounds

Running backs
Tallest: Dante Rosario, Oregon, 6-foot-3 2/8
Shortest: Gijon Robinson, Missouri Western State, 6-foot-0 6/8
Heaviest: Gijon Robinson, Missouri Western State, 255 pounds
Lightest: Dante Rosario, Oregon, 244 pounds

Those are TE's.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Does anyone know if Selvin Young can return punts? If so, he might make a nice second day pick.

DBroncos4life
02-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know if Selvin Young can return punts? If so, he might make a nice second day pick.

He had 2 in 03, one for a td. 5 in 02, one for a td.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=703&player=22

shakenbake
02-24-2007, 09:17 AM

I'm not a big Selvin fan. It felt like he took away carries from Jamal Charles just because he was senior. Plus he fumbles way to much.

bpc
02-24-2007, 12:18 PM
4:19 p.m. Running Back Michael Bush of Louisville lost a lot of his last year to injury. “I feel kind of like the underdog that people forgot about me after my injury. I was up to 261 pounds before my injury, and I’m at 243 right now. My body fat percentage went from 19% to 13%. I feel and look as good as I ever have in my entire life.”

I thought he looked doughy. If there is one good thing from the injury, it forced him to lose some baby fat.

WABronco
02-24-2007, 01:13 PM
My boy Greg Olsen just blew away every other TE with a 4.47 40. RISER

bpc
02-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Thats pretty fast for a large TE.

I think he could easily still be flying under the radar. He didn't have much help in the passing game at Miami. QB's stunk up the place.

Rohirrim
02-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Anybody else notice the tale of the tape on Jamarcus Russell yesterday? Six five and a half at 265 pounds! Is he a DE or a QB? Who's going to tackle this guy? Damn! It's tough to think we might be looking at this guy twice a year for the next 12 to 15 years. Fortunately, the Fader FO is so screwed up, they'll never be able to build a team around him.

BlitzingDog
02-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Can someone please tell me, when do LB's run? what day of the combine?

Rascal
02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
apparently Olsen ran a 4.45, 23 reps, and did well in the gauntlet. Not bad for a TE, if we were interested in taking one.

BlitzingDog
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Did the bump it to 4.45? Cause at the combine they said 4.47 but they change the official time up every year.

SoCalBronco
02-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm happy for Greg. He is a good athlete. Didn't meet the expectations we had for him outside of the 2005 opener at Florida State, but I think he will eventually be a very good NFL TE. His blocking needs to get alot better and he has to be more consistent on 3rd downs catching the ball and not losing concentration. He should be a good one...in time.

anthonypacino
02-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm happy for Greg. He is a good athlete. Didn't meet the expectations we had for him outside of the 2005 opener at Florida State, but I think he will eventually be a very good NFL TE. His blocking needs to get alot better and he has to be more consistent on 3rd downs catching the ball and not losing concentration. He should be a good one...in time.

IMO OLsen really set himself apart from the rest of the pack. no one really gave me any glimpse of being able to block well or help with the run game, I know most of the drills weren't meant to showcase that ability but from stance, footwork they didn't impress me alot. Olsen looked like the only first rounder out of the bunch to me.

Requiem
02-24-2007, 03:21 PM
While George Foster II (Levi Brown) runs a 5.39. I can run faster than that, but I'm only 185-190 pounds. Lolz.

That One Guy
02-24-2007, 04:27 PM
1:49 p.m.: UTEP WR Johnnie Lee Higgins said that he's hoping to run a 4.1 forty at the Combine. "If I run a 4.1 that would be really great," he said. He said he's run a 4.18 forty at spring training his junior year that was timed electronically. And he's prepared to do whatever it takes to get on the field at the NFL level -- wide receiver, kickoff return or punt return.
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/621083.html

If this guy has run an electrical 4.18 and does it again... we'll definitely see a riser.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I watched the offensive linemen run 40's for a while this morning till I became depressed knowing that all those fat guys can out run me.

elsid13
02-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Saw that Brady Quinn went benched 225 24 times. Even though his agent didn't want him to work out. That beat Cutler by 1.

Drek
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Anybody else notice the tale of the tape on Jamarcus Russell yesterday? Six five and a half at 265 pounds! Is he a DE or a QB? Who's going to tackle this guy? Damn! It's tough to think we might be looking at this guy twice a year for the next 12 to 15 years. Fortunately, the Fader FO is so screwed up, they'll never be able to build a team around him.
McShay was saying on ESPN that it wasn't a "good" 265, that most scouts thought he should be 10-15 pounds lighter.

Quinn doing some drills despite his agent's advice, and doing well, is only going to put pressure on Russell.

Broncoman13
02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Quinn is one stacked dude. He's a freaking beast. If you didn't know he was a QB you would think he was a LB and a pretty stout one at that. He was more physcially imposing that Patrick Willis and Patrick Willis is a pretty thick dude as well!

Olsen really set himself apart today. Miller dropped some balls and ran in the 4.85 range. Olsen looked great catching the ball and consistently drew raves from Vermeil and the rest. One interesting tidbit, Vermiel said that the majority of NFL TE's run in the 4.8 range. When asked to name one that was good he said, Tony Gonzalez is a 4.8 guy!

bpc
02-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I thought guys weren't allowed to bounce the bar off their chest on the 225 lb lift? Ramirez from TT was just letting that thing bounce right up off his chest and then pushing up from there.

They used to make you life the weight, not bounce it. What joke. Make that guy lift normal and he probably only hits 25.

BlitzingDog
02-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Anyone else intrigued by Delaware TE Ben Patrick?

footstepsfrom#27
02-24-2007, 08:18 PM
While George Foster II (Levi Brown) runs a 5.39. I can run faster than that, but I'm only 185-190 pounds. Lolz.
That's nuts. Georgina Foster was nowhere near the college player that Brown is. Brown will be in the pro bowl in 3 years. Georgina will be loading trucks.

Broncoman13
02-24-2007, 08:19 PM
They've always bounced (since I've been watching which is all of two or three years! lol).

I'm not sure bouncing gives him an extra 15 reps, and you have to consider that there were some other guys "bouncing" too. So, if he's only capable of 25 then there are a lot that are only capable of 15 or so. Either way, that 25 is about 24.50 times more than most of us here can do now days!!! Though I bet I can roll out of bed in the morning and run a faster 40!

Broncoman13
02-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Anyone else intrigued by Delaware TE Ben Patrick?

Not really, still intrigued by Doug Free though.

elsid13
02-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Not really, still intrigued by Doug Free though.

How he do today???

ludo21
02-25-2007, 12:09 AM
My boy Miller didnt run well. ;(

o well, he is still a good blocker and can catch it in traffic very well.

We will see.. i think Olsen will go 1 now.

phibacka31
02-25-2007, 01:28 PM
C.J. : 4.36 40 O in someone else's shoes mind you:approve:

bpc
02-25-2007, 02:02 PM
They've always bounced (since I've been watching which is all of two or three years! lol).

I'm not sure bouncing gives him an extra 15 reps, and you have to consider that there were some other guys "bouncing" too. So, if he's only capable of 25 then there are a lot that are only capable of 15 or so. Either way, that 25 is about 24.50 times more than most of us here can do now days!!! Though I bet I can roll out of bed in the morning and run a faster 40!

At our pro day they were strict. No bouncing, no arching back off the bench, locking arms out... if you didn't do it, it didn't count.

I think it does make it easier because if you are as big as Ramirez, and his chest is beefy... the weight comes crashing down, bounces up about 3 inches and then he pushes it back up. Much harder to actually control the weight for a full rep, up and down.

I'm just surprised. This is the first time I've watched the draft and didn't know they were letting them bounce this much. I got 25... bouncing, I could probably hit over 30.

I hit about 17 a few weeks ago but my elbow and shoulders are sore and its harder to actually press weight that heavy anymore. I'm going for the look now... ha ha.

bpc
02-25-2007, 02:03 PM
They have the results up yet?

elsid13
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Unoffical

But Chris Henry out of AZ needs to get some looks 230 LB, and just ran a 4.33 and had 26 225 lifts..... (Yes Yerner you were right.)

Meachen also impressed today

Hercules Rockefeller
02-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Damn, 4.38 for Adrian. He is a fast man.

SoCalBronco
02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Pittman with a 4.44

SoCalBronco
02-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Gary Russell 4.84

Hercules Rockefeller
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Gary Russell 4.84

Someone isn't going to be drafted

brother love
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I also watched Chris Henry run today and I agree that he could be interesting. A 4.33 at 233lbs is incredible

elsid13
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Lynch 4.54 with about 18 lifts

Stay a the hell away for Russell- I am in better shape then he is..

yerner
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Watch highlights of Henry go for 200 plus against Washington this year. He had about 10 broken tackles. Nasty stiff arm. Just needs consistency. Plus U of A is crappy.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-25-2007, 02:56 PM
4.49 the second time around for Lynch

Hercules Rockefeller
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
4.43 on Adrian's 2nd attempt

elsid13
02-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Garry Russell the stay puff marshmallow man

yerner
02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I like this Florida dude too. Wynn.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzalez at 4.44 - sure would like Broncs to get one of those guys. Both smart and great technicians. Spend a year learning the slot from Rod and watch out

cabronco
02-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I think Pittman would be a good pick for us in the second round, if he's still there.

elsid13
02-25-2007, 03:27 PM
See my thread on the kid

NFL SCOUTING COMBINE NOTEBOOK
McGill drawing interest
Running back Ronnie McGill is the University of North Carolina's only representative at the combine, but he's drawing interest from a number of teams, including the Panthers.

"I did talk to the Panthers," McGill said.

McGill said other teams that have shown interest include Detroit, Cincinnati and Denver. -- Stan Olson

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/16773182.htm

Elway777
02-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Jason Hill made some money running a 4.32. Leonard also ran well at 4.5. Pittman ran a 4.42 and could be a good pick in second round for Broncos. I also like the way Kenny Irons looked and also might make a good second or 3 round draft pick.Steve Beaston ran a 4.4 and might make a good second day punt returner.Higgen only ran a 4.48 but might make a good end of 3 round pick.

Play2win
02-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzalez at 4.44 - sure would like Broncs to get one of those guys. Both smart and great technicians. Spend a year learning the slot from Rod and watch out

Steve Smith reminds soooo much of Rod Smith...

bpc
02-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Random facts that make this post look silly...

-Levi Brown is a two time all-big ten 1st team selection, also an all-american this past season. Foster failed to do either.

-Levi Brown is also a 4 year starter at tackle for Penn State. He has almost as many years as a starter, as George Foster had GAMES started for his college career.

-OL play roughly in a area of about 5x5 yards on most plays. That is an area that George Foster has proven to be quick enough but by far, not physical enough in.

-Brown isn't a HB, WR, LB, or DB. He plays on the OL. 40 times mean little very little. How many plays are designed to have the offensive line run farther than 10 yards? None.

- Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. If he were drafted this year, it would probably drop him to around the 4th or 5th round at least. 40 times are one of the most overated stats in football. While impressive, players don't even have pads on while they run. Pretty important how fast somebody plays with pads rather than without.

bpc
02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Jason Hill made some money running a 4.32. Leonard also ran well at 4.5. Pittman ran a 4.42 and could be a good pick in second round for Broncos. I also like the way Kenny Irons looked and also might make a good second or 3 round draft pick.Steve Beaston ran a 4.4 and might make a good second day punt returner.Higgen only ran a 4.48 but might make a good end of 3 round pick.

I really liked Jason Hill coming in... I was hoping he would slide into our 3rd round area. He had an injury plagued senior year but his junior season and before were really really good. His 40 unfortunately will boost him into the middle to early 2nd round AT LEAST.

DBroncos4life
02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
when does Brandon Jackson run?

bpc
02-25-2007, 04:44 PM
See my thread on the kid

NFL SCOUTING COMBINE NOTEBOOK
McGill drawing interest
Running back Ronnie McGill is the University of North Carolina's only representative at the combine, but he's drawing interest from a number of teams, including the Panthers.

"I did talk to the Panthers," McGill said.

McGill said other teams that have shown interest include Detroit, Cincinnati and Denver. -- Stan Olson

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/16773182.htm

They are also looking at the OC from NCState, McElroy. We all know of course, this means absolutely nothing but its always nice to speculate! :)

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Just keep in mind what Mike Nolan said:

Most important part of combine is the medical checks. Second is the interviews and least important are the drills. All we get to see is the least important part and we hear very lttle of the two most important parts.

bpc
02-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Anybody have a link to the most up to date info, nfldraftscout is not putting it out quick enough.

NEED MORE COMBINE!

Paladin
02-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Not a surprise, but Johnson is the most impressive so far. Good times in 40 at 239 was something to see. Russell the QB is impressive specimen, but I would take Brady Quinn, myself. Guy is serious at playing the game, and seemed very mature.

Peterson was impressive, but I would not be at all unhappy with Pittman, and maybe take a flyer on Henry.....

Rohirrim
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Meachem ran a 4.36. I suppose he'll start moving up the boards now.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Anybody have a link to the most up to date info, nfldraftscout is not putting it out quick enough.

NEED MORE COMBINE!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10019715

Day 3

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 24, 2007) -- The 2007 NFL Scouting Combine is in full swing, and NFL Network is bringing fans all the important action.

Day 3 is here, and that means players are running and lifting. For all the latest results, check here for updates throughout the day.

Group 3 (TE) -- Top Six Results: 20 Shuttle
1. Derek Schouman Boise St. 4.27
2. Ben Patrick Delaware 4.31
3. Scott Chandler Iowa 4.32
4. Clark Harris Rutgers 4.40
5. Anthony Pudewell Nevada 4.41
6. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 4.41

Group 2 (OL) -- Top Seven Results: 20 Shuttle
1. Samson Satele Hawaii 4.29
2. Ryan Kalil Southern Cal 4.34
3. Adam Koets Oregon St. 4.47
4. Ryan Harris Notre Dame 4.52
5. Drew Mormino Central Michigan 4.53
6. James Marten Boston College 4.54
7. Scott Stephenson Iowa St. 4.57

Group 3 (TE) -- Top Six Results: 60 Shuttle
1. Derek Schouman Boise St. 11.56
2. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 11.81
3. Ben Patrick Delaware 11.86
4. Scott Chandler Iowa 11.88
5. Martez Milner Georgia 11.89
6. Gijon Robinson Missouri Western St. 11.92

Group 3 (TE) -- Top 10 Results: Three Cone
1. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 6.96
2. Dante Rosario Oregon 6.96
3. Derek Schouman Boise St. 7.00
4. Zach Miller Arizona St. 7.01
5. Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.) 7.04
6. Jonny Harline Brigham Young 7.05
7. Daniel Coats Brigham Young 7.07
8. Ben Patrick Delaware 7.21
9. Gijon Robinson Missouri Western St. 7.23
10. Chad Upshaw Buffalo 7.23

Group 2 (OL) -- Top 10 Results: Three Cone
1. Adam Koets Oregon St. 7.44
2. Corey Hilliard Oklahoma St. 7.45
3. Dan Santucci Notre Dame 7.47
4. Samson Satele Hawaii 7.47
5. Drew Mormino Central Michigan 7.48
6. Ryan Kalil Southern Cal 7.50
7. Mike Jones Iowa 7.50
8. Gabe Hall Texas Tech 7.59
9. Mario Henderson Florida St. 7.60
10. Mike Otto Purdue 7.62

Group 3 (TE) -- Top 10 Results: Broad Jump
1. Michael Allan Whitworth 10'3"
2. Derek Shouman Boise St. 10'2"
3. Martez Milner Georgia 9'9"
4. Gijon Robinson Missouri Western St. 9'8"
5. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 9'8"
6. Dante Rosario Oregon 9'7"
7. Zach Miller Arizona St. 9'7"
8. Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.) 9'6"
9. Clark Harris Rutgers 9'4"
10. Ben Patrick Delaware 9'3"

Group 2 (OL) -- Top 10 Results: Broad Jump
1. Tony Ugoh Arkansas 9'9"
2. Joe Thomas Wisconsin 9'2"
3. Mario Henderson Florida St. 9'1"
4. Corey Hilliard Oklahoma St. 8'10"
5. Adam Koets Oregon St. 8'10"
6. Drew Mormino Central Michigan 8'9"
7. Mike Otto Purdue 8'9"
8. Gabe Hall Texas Tech 8'8"
9. Ryan Kalil Southern Cal 8'8"
10. Enoka Lucas Oregon 8'8"

Group 1 (OL) -- Top Five Results: Broad Jump
1. Doug Free Northern Illinois 9'03"
2. Andy Alleman Akron 8'10"
3. Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 8'09"
4. Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 8'07"
5. Doug Datish Ohio St. 8'06"

Group 3 (TE) -- Top Five Results: Vertical Jump
1. Derek Schouman Boise St. 37 1/2"
2. Michael Allan Whitworth 36"
3. Dante Rosario Oregon 36"
4. Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.) 35 1/2"
5. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 35"

Group 2 (OL) -- Top Eight Results: Vertical Jump
1. Samson Satele Hawaii 33 1/2"
2. Joe Thomas Wisconsin 33"
3. Tony Ugoh Arkansas 32 1/2"
4. Adam Koets Oregon St. 32"
5. James Marten Boston Col 30 1/2"
6. Scott Stephenson Iowa St. 29 1/2"
7. Dan Santucci Notre Dame 29"
8. Gabe Hall Texas Tech 29"

Group 1 (OL) -- Top Five Results: Vertical Jump
1. Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 32 1/2"
2. Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 32"
3. Andy Alleman Akron 30"
4. Doug Free Northern Illinois 30"
5. Justin Blalock Texas 28 1/2"

Group 3 (TE) -- Top Eight Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.) 4.51
2. Michael Allan Whitworth 4.71
3. Gijon Robinson Missouri Western St. 4.71
4. Ben Patrick Delaware 4.74
5. Derek Schouman Boise St. 4.74
6. Dante Rosario Oregon 4.76
7. Kevin Boss Western Oregon 4.78
8. Scott Chandler Iowa 4.78

Group 2 (OL) -- Top 10 Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Gabe Hall Texas Tech 4.91
2. Joe Thomas Wisconsin 4.92
3. Ryan Kalil Southern Cal 4.96
4. Tony Ugoh Arkansas 5.06
5. James Marten Boston College 5.08
6. Adam Koets Oregon St. 5.08
7. Ryan Harris Notre Dame 5.09
8. Mario Henderson Florida St. 5.11
9. Kasey Studdard Texas 5.18
10. Herbert Taylor Texas-Christian 5.19

Group 1 (OL) -- Top Five Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 4.84
2. Andy Alleman Akron 5.07
3. Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 5.08
4. Justin Blalock Texas 5.10
5. Doug Datish Ohio St. 5.13

Group 1 -- All Results: Bench
Andy Alleman Akron 27 reps.
Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 28 reps.
Joshua Beekman Boston College 24 reps.
Nathan Bennett Clemson 34 reps.
Stephen Berg Arizona St. 19 reps.
Justin Blalock Texas 40 reps.
Levi Brown Penn St. 31 reps.
Andrew Carnahan Arizona St. 22 reps.
Doug Datish Ohio St. 31 reps.
Chris Denman Fresno St. 21 reps.
Tim Duckworth Auburn 20 reps.
Mark Fenton Colorado 22 reps.
Doug Free Northern Illinois 22 reps.
Dustin Fry Clemson 34 reps.
Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 34 reps.
Ben Grubbs Auburn 29 reps.
Gabe Hall Texas Tech 22 reps.
Leroy Harris North Carolina St. 29 reps.
Ryan Harris Notre Dame 22 reps.
Mario Henderson Florida St. 20 reps.
Stephon Heyer Maryland 30 reps.
Corey Hilliard Oklahoma St. 28 reps.
Mike Jones Iowa 28 reps.
Ryan Kalil Southern Cal 34 reps.
Adam Koets Oregon St. 20 reps.
Enoka Lucas Oregon 34 reps.
Palauni Ma Sun Oregon 22 reps.
Drew Mormino Central Michigan 27 reps.
Dan Mozes West Virginia 28 reps.
Uche Nwaneri Purdue 24 reps.
Mike Otto Purdue 20 reps.
Manuel Ramirez Texas Tech 40 reps.
Dan Santucci Notre Dame 23 reps.
Samson Satele Hawaii 25 reps.
Arron Sears Tennessee 21 reps.
Kendrick Shackleford Georgia 28 reps.
Joe Staley Central Michigan 27 reps.
Cameron Stephenson Rutgers 34 reps.
Scott Stephenson Iowa St. 21 reps.
Kasey Studdard Texas 32 reps.
Herbert Taylor Texas Christian 26 reps.
Joe Thomas Wisconsin 28 reps.
Tony Ugoh Arkansas 32 reps.
Elliot Vallejo Cal-Davis 24 reps.
Mansfield Wrotto Georgia Tech 27 reps.
Michael Allan Whitworth 19 reps.
Scott Chandler Iowa 16 reps.
Daniel Coats Brigham Young 34 reps.
Jonny Harline Brigham Young 15 reps.
Clark Harris Rutgers 21 reps.
Martez Milner Georgia 19 reps.
Joe Newton Oregon St. 20 reps.
Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.) 23 reps.
Anthony Pudewell Nevada 15 reps.
Gijon Robinson Missouri Western St. 21 reps.
Dante Rosario Oregon 20 reps.
Derek Schouman Boise St. 27 reps.
Chad Upshaw Buffalo 16 reps.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10021441

Day 4

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 25, 2007) -- The 2007 NFL Scouting Combine is in full swing, and NFL Network is bringing fans all the important action.

Day 4 is here, and that means more players are running and working out. For all the latest results, check here for updates throughout the day.

Group 5 (QB) -- Top Five Results: Ball Speed
1. Troy Smith Ohio St. 58.5
2. Jeff Rowe Nevada 57
3. Drew Stanton Michigan St. 55.7
4. Jared Zabransky Boise St. 55.2
5. Paul Thompson Oklahoma 54.8

Group 4 (WR) -- Top 10 Results: Vertical Jump
1. Drisan James Boise St. 39
2. Anthony Gonzales Ohio St. 38
3. Jason Hill Washington St. 37
4. Aundrae Allison East Carolina 37
5. Johnnie Lee Higgins UTEP 36 1/2
6. Aaron Fairooz Central Arkansas 36
7. Dallas Baker Florida 36
8. Chris Davis Florida St. 35 1/2
9. Jonathan Holland Louisiana Tech 35 1/2
10. Jemalle Cornelius Florida 34 1/2

Group 4 (WR) -- Top 10 Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Yamon Figurs Kansas St. 4.30
2. Jason Hill Washington St. 4.32
3. Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 4.35
4. David Clowney Virginia Tech 4.36
5. Aundrae Allison East Carolina 4.39
6. Steve Breaston Michigan 4.41
7. Anthony Gonzales Ohio St. 4.44
8. Jonathan Holland Louisiana Tech 4.45
9. Craig Davis Louisiana St. 4.46
10. Johnnie Lee Higgins UTEP 4.48

Group 4 (QB) -- Top Five Results: Ball Speed
1. Toby Korrodi Central Missouri St. 63
2. John Beck Brigham Young 61.1
3. Kevin Kolb Houston 55.3
4. Trent Edwards Stanford 55.2
5. James Pinkey East Carolina 53.9

elsid13
02-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Guys/gals can you tell me how Mike Johson- S- Arizonia and SABBY PISCITELLI -S- OREGON ST do on Tuesday. freaking work

I known Piscitelli weigh in 224 and looked solid. Hell he bigger then Gold. And Johnson weight in over 200 at 6'2

elsid13
02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
They are also looking at the OC from NCState, McElroy. We all know of course, this means absolutely nothing but its always nice to speculate! :)

Great - How did he run?

BTW I think I need to watch more of Henry (since the Broncos have a rep of going back to the same well if a current player from the school does well)

shakenbake
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I really like Gonzalos I would love to see him picked up in the 2nd if he is still there.

ludo21
02-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Tommorow is the day ive been waiting for, cant wait to see what all the DL run and bench.

Kaylore
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Aundrae Allison is a good football player. His performance in the 40 will only help that.

I love that John Beck scored so high on speed. I didn't think he threw it that hard. He's is incredibly accurate.

chaz
02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
antonio pittman and anthony gonzalez really impressed me today

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Aundrae Allison is a good football player. His performance in the 40 will only help that.

I love that John Beck scored so high on speed. I didn't think he threw it that hard. He's is incredibly accurate.

Beck is very underrated in my opinion. Somebody will be getting a steal when they take him.

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Tony Hunt run during the combine? I just watched the replay, I didn't see him out there.

watermock
02-26-2007, 01:42 AM
My boys John Beck and Antonio Pittman are impressing. (mock draft). Lynch seemed to lack upper body and I thought he would run faster than that. He got hurt today on the board. Beck threw a 61.1 fastball. Pittman got under 4.5.

Dunno if Anderson or Hughes are going to show.

elsid13
02-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Tony Hunt run during the combine? I just watched the replay, I didn't see him out there.

No Hunt didn't run.

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Combine is off and running... times of note so far...

Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss have both hit unofficial times of about 4.65

Alan Branch and Okoye both hit 5 flat 40's.

Quinn Pitcock just hit a 4.9 which helps him obviously.

Dan Bazuin had a 4.78.

Anthony Spencer is up, 4.76

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Tank Tyler is up... 5.33, looks like he pulled something at the end.

Abe Wright is up from CU... looks like an OLB, good burst out of his start... 4.91.

Robinson at from Texas... who is this? 4.66 in the 40 and hit a 40 and a half vert.

Antonio Johnson from MSU... definitely a one technique... hit a 5.11.

Charles Johnson from UGA... good cut on his body. Legs are long... stout upper body. 4.81.

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Brandon Mebane - My boy... 5.05. Not a bad showing for a 1 tech.

Jay Moore - 4.91 as his best time.

Q. Moses - 4.83

J. Moss again - God, he has the smallest calfs I've ever seen.

Okoye - Announced he pulled a hammy... he has bulked up to 306... too much creatine.

Patterson - 5.07 on his 40... has a terrible limp when he walks... somebody get this guy to a medical room and check him out.

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Paul Soliai - 344... holds the weight fairly well too... 5.11.

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Branch hit 33 on the bench.

Carriker hit 33 as well.

Okoye hit 29.

Tank Tyler 42 reps...

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Abe Wright looked really good in the wave drill. I have no doubt he can play LB.

This Robinson guy from Texas is very explosive. Drawing rave reviews from MAYCOCK and Vermeil.

bpc
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Jay Moore looks to me like a Bryce Paup type of player. He ran pretty good through the bags.

DBroncos4life
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Brandon Mebane - My boy... 5.05. Not a bad showing for a 1 tech.

Jay Moore - 4.91 as his best time.

Q. Moses - 4.83

J. Moss again - God, he has the small calfs I've ever seen.

Okoye - Announced he pulled a hammy... he has bulked up to 306... too much creatine.

Patterson - 5.07 on his 40... has a terrible limp when he walks... somebody get this guy to a medical room and check him out.

Okoye should find himself out of the top 15 IMO. Moore's time might put him in the mid to late third round. Did Carriker not run????

shakenbake
02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I would love to see the Broncos get Robinson on the second day if he is there. He was a great leader at Texas. I have heard from some people that he was one of the most athletic guys on the team. I'm not surprised he is putting up those kind of numbers.

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I can't get my stats page to pop up... how did Robinson do last season? I think him and Jay Moore look roughly about the same with Robinson being more athletic of the two.

Tough to say about Okoye... he was showing a lot of burst at Mobile but I saw him on film and I just thought he had a lot of bad technique for a guy of his stature. He got locked onto blocks and when he got blocked, he stayed that way. Pops straight up. A lot of these spin moves he was using in Mobile may work on some guys that were switching positions from Tackle to Guard in practice but somebody like Shawn Andrews is going to bury you in the dirt and step on your face trying some bs like that.

Okoye is young... a lot of good football ahead of him but I don't know if that is his main selling point right now or not. He gets a caution flag from me.

SoonerBronco
02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I would love to see the Broncos get Robinson on the second day if he is there. He was a great leader at Texas. I have heard from some people that he was one of the most athletic guys on the team. I'm not surprised he is putting up those kind of numbers.

He is a beast...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/SoonerDustin/Bomared1.jpg

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
FINAL notes on Carriker... guess he ran a 4.9 which is good for us since it is about .05 slower than he was supposed to run. Then again he weighed it at 296. The bad is that he ran a 4.18 in the shuttle, which is almost collectly faster than half of the WR's and HB's I saw yesterday. The average for LB's are timed at 4.25. The average for WR's is 4.19.

Good job Adam. Stay around until 21!

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I thought that Robinson looked way more fluid than Jay Moore. Now stats and game tape will determine how they play on the field.

Jon Abbate is up at LB for his 40... 4.98.

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Rufus Alexander ... 4.70

Antwan Barnes... ******4.40 ****** Florida International GREAT TIME!

Jon beason... 4.64

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Prescott Burgess... 4.90...

Stewart Bradley... 4.69

Quincy Black... 4.44

Buster Davis... 4.67

Zack Deossie... 4.53

Justin Durant... ***4.51***, the guy has quicks...

Earl Everett... 4.88

bpc
02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Kamichael Hall... 4.79...

David Harris... 4.53...

Requiem
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Quentin Moses, 4.82
Victor Abiamiri, 4.8
Tim Crowder, 4.69
Gaines Adams, 4.64
Alan Branch, 5.04
Brandon Mebane, 5.05
Baraka Atkins, 4.69
Jarvis Moss, 4.68
Amobi Okoye, 5.0
Charles Johnson, 4.81 (He'll be at #21)
Anthony Spencer, 4.76
Abraham Wright, 4.91
Brian Robinson, 4.66
Jay Moore, 4.97 (Sorry kids who were on his jock.)
Tank Tyler, 5.33 (Not bad for a nose tackle, really. . .)
Adam Carriker, 4.9 (Not anywhere near the 4.65-4.75 Nebraska fans said, still good for his size, I'd say.)
David Patterson, 5.07
Paul Soliai, 5.11 (Wow, 335+ and that?)

Let's just say Brian Robinson and Tim Crowder from Texas are making money, I know Crowder had 32 benches and I think Robinson had 33. Carriker had 33 benches as well. Tank Tyler put up an impressive 42 reps on the bench and is the strongest man in the house right now. Okoye had 29 reps, Branch had 33.

That's what I got.

Jamaal Anderson chose not to work out.

I think Tyler had a quad injury or something and questioned running anyways, I bet at his Pro-Day he'll improve on that time.

Crowder and Robinson making money today, I really like Crowder, even at #56.

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Chad Nkang... 4.51 Elon...

Michael Okwo... 4.69

Sam Olajabutu... 4.64

Blair Phillips... 4.82

Paul Posluszny... 4.68... MLB all the way. Nice speed for him. He's built pretty thick.

Dallas Sartz... 4.70

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Tim Shaw... 4.49

Requiem
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
BPC, thanks for putting this up. All I cared was for the DL - but we all appreciate this.

But it does feel good for Tim Crowder to make me feel good.

SoonerBronco
02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Quentin Moses, 4.82
Victor Abiamiri, 4.8
Tim Crowder, 4.69
Gaines Adams, 4.64
Alan Branch, 5.04
Brandon Mebane, 5.05
Baraka Atkins, 4.69
Jarvis Moss, 4.68
Amobi Okoye, 5.0
Charles Johnson, 4.81 (He'll be at #21)
Anthony Spencer, 4.76
Abraham Wright, 4.91
Brian Robinson, 4.66Jay Moore, 4.97 (Sorry kids who were on his jock.)
Tank Tyler, 5.33 (Not bad for a nose tackle, really. . .)
Adam Carriker, 4.9 (Not anywhere near the 4.65-4.75 Nebraska fans said, still good for his size, I'd say.)
David Patterson, 5.07
Paul Soliai, 5.11 (Wow, 335+ and that?)

Let's just say Brian Robinson and Tim Crowder from Texas are making money, I know Crowder had 32 benches and I think Robinson had 33. Carriker had 33 benches as well. Tank Tyler put up an impressive 42 reps on the bench and is the strongest man in the house right now. Okoye had 29 reps, Branch had 33.

That's what I got.

Jamaal Anderson chose not to work out.

I think Tyler had a quad injury or something and questioned running anyways, I bet at his Pro-Day he'll improve on that time.

Crowder and Robinson making money today, I really like Crowder, even at #56.

I always thought it was Robison...you know like Charlie Robison...the guy married to the Dixie Chick that sang "Bar Light, Bar Bright, first bar that I see tonight"....

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Lawrence Timmons... 4.59

JUST IN!

Patrick Willis... *******4.49 ******* slap is looking pretty good right now!

shakenbake
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I can't get my stats page to pop up... how did Robinson do last season? I think him and Jay Moore look roughly about the same with Robinson being more athletic of the two.

His numbers are ok nothing amazing, but he played this past season with injuries. I think its hard to evaluate Texas defensive players from this past year. They had to deal with so many injuries on that side of the ball. I think Crowder and Robison could develop into some decent NFL players. Both are very athletic and have a good mix of size and speed.

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I've been saying Robinson, it is Robison... sorry everybody!

-Slap-
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Patrick Willis... *******4.49 ******* slap is looking pretty good right now!

This kid will play a dozen years and make half a dozen Pro Bowls.

Dedhed
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
For the love of god, if we're going to pimp a guy let's get his name right.
It's Brian Robison; not RobiNson. I remember watching him in the Rose Bowl last year, and he was all over the place for the Horns. Great motor guy, is very good against the run, and has some pass rush moves as well. I'd love to see him on the Broncos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83iG-b3kjQA

DBroncos4life
02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
FINAL notes on Carriker... guess he ran a 4.9 which is good for us since it is about .05 slower than he was supposed to run. Then again he weighed it at 296. The bad is that he ran a 4.18 in the shuttle, which is almost collectly faster than half of the WR's and HB's I saw yesterday. The average for LB's are timed at 4.25. The average for WR's is 4.19.

Good job Adam. Stay around until 21!

That might be 6 more pounds then he played at but Im not sure. That is a fast shuttle time for a big man. I wonder if he will run the 40 again at his pro day or if he will be happy with his time. Its not bad for a guy just under 300 pounds.

bpc
02-26-2007, 01:56 PM
That might be 6 more pounds then he played at but Im not sure. That is a fast shuttle time for a big man. I wonder if he will run the 40 again at his pro day or if he will be happy with his time. Its not bad for a guy just under 300 pounds.

I think his time is fine. The guy shows he can move in a 20 yard radius and turn on a dime. Unless you are playing Michael Vick, he won't need to worry about much more than that. Plus, he will be a LDE stacking the TE and RT. We need much more power at that spot, especially with guys like LJ and LT in the AFC West.

Rascal
02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Interested in Carriker, Crowder, Johnson, Branch, Mebane, Abiamiri, and Tyler.

Rascal
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
What did Ikaika Alama-Francis put up or is he there?

Rascal
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Out of nowhere Arizona RB Chris Henry ran an unoffical 4.33 today at 230 lbs., which will certainly help him immensely. Even though he wasn't very productive in college Henry's stock may begin to soar now and you can bet scouts will be going back to look at his tape. Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma turned in a 4.38 (unofficial) and Marshawn Lynch of Cal came in at 4.49 while Florida's DeShawn Wynn surprised with his unofficial 4.45 clocking.

Mr. Trout
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Cut Gold, bring in the Puz or Willis.

Mr. Trout
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Any Texas players are fine with me, Crowder, Robison, Griffin, or Ross. Hook em!!!

Elway777
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
This kid will play a dozen years and make half a dozen Pro Bowls.I don't think he makes it the the Broncos now.

SoonerBronco
02-26-2007, 02:43 PM
It's Brian Robison; not RobiNson. I remember watching him in the Rose Bowl last year, and he was all over the place for the Horns. Great motor guy, is very good against the run, and has some pass rush moves as well. I'd love to see him on the Broncos.

Actually this is my favorite Robison clip!

Robison...one bad man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnxbxe3Hk0)

bpc
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM

settle down, jesus. I was watching, typing, listening all that the same time.

I'm trying to help people on this website gain knowledge a little easier by having it all here.

Some people complain about everything. Even one name that is spelled wrong.

The info is there though, you are welcome.

WABronco
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Right now, I'd look at Robison as a Engelberger/Chukwurah replacement. He's got more upside than both because of his youth and athleticism. Wouldn't mind adding him in the 4th or 5th.

SoonerBronco
02-26-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm trying to help people on this website gain knowledge a little easier by having it all here.

Don't worry...it's just the orangemane spelling police...Very similar to Reno 911 or the Keystone Cops...they think spelling smack is cool!:thumbs:

Mediator12
02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
What did Ikaika Alama-Francis put up or is he there?

Alama-Francis did not work out due to his Pectoral Tear from the Hula bowl. He did do all the Interviews, Psych testing, and medicals though.

Mediator12
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
The thing about the Texas guys is why the hell did they not produce with all that physical ability and all that other talent around them? Consistency issues are in play.

elsid13
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
So how did Bazuin and McBean look today?

DBroncos4life
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
The thing about the Texas guys is why the hell did they not produce with all that physical ability and all that other talent around them? Consistency issues are in play.

Same with Wright a few years ago.

mattob14
02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Interested in Carriker, Crowder, Johnson, Branch, Mebane, Abiamiri, and Tyler.

I'd add Baraka Atkins to that list. He played as an undersized tackle at Miami, but ran a 4.68 at 6'4" 271. He could surprise people at DE in the pros.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10023350

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 26, 2007) -- The 2007 NFL Scouting Combine is in full swing, and NFL Network is bringing fans all the important action.

Day 5 is here, and that means more players are running and working out. For all the latest results, check here for updates throughout the day.

Group 8 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: Three Cone
1. Brian Robison Texas-Austin 6.89
2. Claude McBride Tennessee 7.10
3. Anthony Spencer Purdue 7.14
4. Jay Moore Nebraska 7.19
5. Abraham Wright Colorado 7.20
6. Quentin Moses Georgia 7.38
7. Antonio Johnson Mississippi St. 7.47
8. David Patterson Ohio St. 7.47
9. Cliff Ryan Michigan St. 7.49
10. Charles Johnson Georgia 7.50

Group 7 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: Three Cone
1. C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 7.06
2. Adam Carriker Nebraska 7.06
3. Justin Hickman UCLA 7.06
4. Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 7.09
5. Gaines Adams Clemson 7.17
6. Tim Crowder Texas-Austin 7.28
7. Mkristo Bruce Washington St. 7.83
8. Larry Birdine Oklahoma 7.47
9. Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 7.50
10. Justin Harrell Tennesee 7.63

Group 8 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: Vertical Jump
1. Brian Robison Texas-Austin 40 1/2
2. Charles Johnson Georgia 34
3. Jay Moore Nebraska 34
4. Quinn Pitcock Ohio St. 34
5. Xzavie Jackson Missouri 33
6. Jay Richardson Ohio St. 33
7. David Patterson Ohio St. 32 1/2
8. Anthon Spencer Purdue 32 1/2
9. Quentin Moses Georgia 32
10. Abraham Wright Colorado 31

Group 7 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: Vertical Jump
1. C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 36 1/2
2. Gaines Adams Clemson 35
3. Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 35
4. Adam Carriker Nebraska 33 1/2
5. Baraka Atkins Miami-FL 33
6. Larry Birdine Oklahoma 32
7. Tim Crowder Texas-Austin 30 1/2
8. Justin Harrell Tennessee 30 1/2
9. Keith Jackson Arkansas-Fayetteville 30
10. Justin Hickman UCLA 29 1/2

Group 8 (DL) -- Top 6 Results: 20 Shuttles
1. Claude McBride Tennessee 4.12
2. Brian Robison Texas-Austin 4.26
3. Jay Moore Nebraska 4.35
4. David Patterson Ohio St. 4.43
5. Anthony Spencer Purdue 4.43
6. Ryan McBean Oklahoma St. 4.46

Group 7 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: 20 Shuttles
1. Adam Carriker Nebraska 4.18
2. Tim Crowder Texas-Austin 4.32
3. Gaines Adams Clemson 4.36
4. Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 4.36
5. C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 4.40
6. Justin Hickman UCLA 4.43
7. Keith Jackson Arkansas-Fayetteville 4.56
8. Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 4.75
9. Larry Birdine Oklahoma 4.76
10. Justin Harrell Tennessee 4.79

Group 9 (LB) -- Top 10 Results: Broad Jump
1. Quincy Black New Mexico 10'4"
2. Juwan Simpson Alabama 10'3"
3. Lawrence Timmons Florida St. 10'3"
4. Antwan Barnes Florida Int. 10'2"
5. Zak Deossie Brown 10'2"
6. Justin Durant Hampton 10'1"
7. Michael Okwo Stanford 10'1"
8. Patrick Willis Mississippi 9'11"
9. Chad Nkang Elon 9'10"
10. Sam Olajubutu Arkansas 9'10"

Group 8 (DL) -- Top 9 Results: Broad Jump
1. Brian Robison Texas-Austin 10'1"
2. Jarvis Moss Florida 10'
3. Charles Johnson Georgia 9'10"
4. Jay Moore Nebraska 9'10"
5. David Patterson Ohio St. 9'10"
6. Quentin Moses Georgia 9'7"
7. Quinn Pitcock Ohio St. 9'4"
8. Jay Richardson Ohio St. 9'4"
9. Anthony Spencer Purdue 9'4"

Group 7 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: Broad Jump
1. Gaines Adams Clemson 9'11"
2. Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 9'7"
3. Justin Hickman UCLA 9'7"
4. Baraka Atkins Miamai-FL 9'3"
5. Tim Crowder Texas-Austin 9'3"
6. Adam Carriker Nebraska 9'2"
7. Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 9'1"
8. C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 9'
9. Larry Brown Oklahoma St. 9'
10. Justin Harrell Tenessee 9'

Group 9 (LB) -- Top 10 Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Quincy Black New Mexico 4.42
2. Antwan Barnes Florida Int. 4.43
3. Justin Durant Hampton 4.51
4. Chad Nkang Elon 4.51
5. Tim Shaw Penn State 4.51
7. Patrick Willis Mississippi 4.51
6. Juwan Simpson Alabama 4.55
8. Zak Deossie Brown 4.58
9. David Harris Michigan 4.59
10. Rory Johnson Mississippi 4.59
11. Nate Harris Louisville 4.60

Group 8 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Brian Robison Texas-Austin 4.67
2. Jarvis Moss Florida 4.70
3. Anthony Spencer Purdue 4.70
4. Claude McBride Tennessee 4.81
5. Quentin Moses Georgia 4.82
6. Charles Johnson Georgia 4.84
7. Abraham Wright Colorado 4.89
8. Xzavie Jackson Missouri 4.92
9. Jay Moore Nebraska 4.92
10. Quinn Pitcock Ohio St. 4.93

Group 7 (DL) -- Top 10 Results: 40-Yard Dash
1. Gaines Adams Clemson 4.64
2. Jacob Ford Central Arkansas 4.65
3. Baraka Atkins Miami (Fla.) 4.69
4. Tim Crowder Texas 4.69
5. C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 4.70
6. Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 4.73
7. Justin Hickman UCLA 4.75
8. Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 4.77
9. Victor Degrate Oklahoma St. 4.77
10. Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame 4.80

Group 9 (LB) -- Final Results: Bench
Jonathan Abbate Wake Forest 26
Rufus Alexander Oklahoma 25
Antwan Barnes Florida Int. 31
Jon Beason Miami (Fla.) 19
Desmond Bishop Cal-Berkeley 33
Quincy Black New Mexico 24
H.B. Blades Pittsburgh 22
Stewart Bradley Nebraska 28
Prescott Burgess Michigan 19
Quinton Culberson Mississippi St. 18
James Davis Florida St. 24
Zak Deossie Brown 26
Justin Durant Hampton 25
Earl Everett Florida 19
David Harris Michigan 23
Nate Harris Louisville 26
Rory Johnson Mississippi 19
Zach Latimer Oklahoma 19
Marvin Mitchell Tennessee 22
Stephen Nicholas South Florida 29
Chad Nkang Elon 23
Michael Okwo Stanford 20
Sam Olajubutu Arkansas 24
Blair Phillips Oregon 23
Paul Poslusky Penn St. 22
Dallas Sartz Southern Cal 20
Tim Shaw Penn St. 26
Juwan Simpson Alabama 15
Kelvin Smith Syracuse 26
Tony Taylor Georgia 26
Lawrence Timmons Florida St. 25
Justin Warren Texas A&M 16
Anthony Waters Clemson 25
Patrick Willis Mississippi 22

Group 8 (DL) -- Final Results: Bench
Xzavie Jackson Missouri 18
Antonio Johnson Mississippi St. 28
Charles Johnson Georgia 33
Derek Landri Notre Dame 24
Ryan McBean Oklahoma St. 27
Claude McBride Tennessee 27
Brandon Mebane Cal-Berkeley 24
Jay Moore Nebraska 26
Quentin Moses Georgia 17
Jarvis Moss Florida 16
Amobi Okoye Louisville 29
David Patterson Ohio St. 21
Jay Richardson Ohio St. 20
Brian Robison Texas 27
Cliff Ryan Michigan St. 25
Anthony Spencer Purdue 30
Marcus Thomas Florida 27
Matt Toeaina Oregon 26
Tank Tyler North Carolina St. 42
Abraham Wright Colorado 24

Group 7 (DL) -- Final Results: Bench
Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame 25
C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 26
Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 25
Baraka Atkins Miami (Fla.) 22
Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 25
Larry Birdine Oklahoma 21
Alan Branch Michigan 33
Larry Brown Oklahoma St. 22
Mkristo Bruce Washington St. 21
Noland Burchette Virginia Tech 15
Adam Carriker Nebraska 33
Jeremy Clark Alabama 29
Joe Cohen Florida 34
Tim Crowder Texas 32
Victor Degrate Oklahoma St. 19
Quintin Echols Kansas St. 25
Jacob Ford Central Arkansas 19
Justin Harrell Tennessee 24
Justin Hickman UCLA 23
Keith Jackson Arkansas 33

Requiem
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Med, I look at Tim Crowder's four year career at Texas and he's improved big time this year. I think he really came into his own, I only expect better things in the future.

Paladin
02-26-2007, 11:26 PM
It seems clear to me: There should be some pretty fair DL talent available to the Broncos in the first three rounds......

DBroncos4life
02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok my NU boys might not have 40 speed but man did they do other things well.

Mediator12
02-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Med, I look at Tim Crowder's four year career at Texas and he's improved big time this year. I think he really came into his own, I only expect better things in the future.

I heard two things about him every time he was up.

#1 Damn, look at him run and/or move.

#2 Damn, where the hell was he on the Texas film?

I have not seen that much of him outside of three games worth of snaps. But the DL guys were both impressed (physically) and pissed (effort in games) at the same time. He is a great physical specimen with a poor motor. People are worried he is a contract guy like Travis Johnson out of FSU in 2005.

It's a shame too. He has all the talent to play LDE in a one gap scheme like Bates likes to play. I swear, they could get two high impact players @ DL in the first two rounds alone.

Mediator12
02-27-2007, 12:33 AM
BTW, I know Jamal Anderson did not work out, but Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss were a Cut above athletically in the drills today. None of the other DE's were in the same class.

They both even ran the OLB drills. Adams not only participated, he ran OLB drills and looked damn good doing it. DEN needs a Gaines Adams style DE and the only Cheaper Chicken version is Moss @ 21. There are others that would be an upgrade over all of DEN's DE's, but those two are just made to rush the passer.

BlitzingDog
02-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I thought Brian Robison looked great in drills, but he will prolly be a LB in the 3-4.

I thought Tim Crowder had a solid year this year, before this year I thought he had underachieved.

Drek
02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
BTW, I know Jamal Anderson did not work out, but Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss were a Cut above athletically in the drills today. None of the other DE's were in the same class.

They both even ran the OLB drills. Adams not only participated, he ran OLB drills and looked damn good doing it. DEN needs a Gaines Adams style DE and the only Cheaper Chicken version is Moss @ 21. There are others that would be an upgrade over all of DEN's DE's, but those two are just made to rush the passer.

After his combine performance I could see a lot of 3-4 teams looking over Adams. Moss too probably, but Adams definitely locked up a top 10 selection.

shakenbake
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM

I think its hard to judge the Texas defensive players from last year, just because of the amount of injuries on that side of the ball and the scheme that they ended up playing because of that. They were a stop the run first, don't get beat deep kind of team this year. Unless we got a big lead you didn't really see them attack the other teams QB. They had one of the best, perhaps the best run defense in the nation last year. That was the focus of the team and the guys up front. If you watch, when we did get a lead and players like crowder and robison were allowed to get after the QB they did. I also think both had some injuries they had to play through all year. Had so many guys not gotten hurt they may have sat out games and healed up. Robison was carted off the field with a knee injury i believe but was back the next week playing through it. The best example of players playing through injury is Michael Griffin. He played through a broken toe for pretty much the entire season. Even though it hurt his draft stock he wanted to be out there and gave it his all.

Master___Pain
02-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey Med...thoughts on Abe Wright? It seemed like he did not really hurt nor help himself in terms of draft status based on the drills, BP, 40, etc. Did you hear anything about scout views of him? He's a great kid and I hope he has a good career wherever he ends up. I suspect he's going to be a 3-4 LB as he's undersized for a 4-3 DE.

Dedhed
02-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Take it easy. It was said completely in jest.

mattob14
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Laron Landry ran a 4.35 today, there's no way we'll have a shot him now. Griffin put up a solid 4.45, but Nelson was at 4.53, I believe. He'll probably be there at 21. Also, John Wendling ran in the 4.4's at 221 pounds, I wouldn't mind seeing him in round 2. He could learn from Lynch for a year before taking a starting spot.

mattob14
02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
It looks like Daymeion Hughes went through the same conditioning program as Gary Russell. 4.7's for a guy who was projected as a potential round 1 corner?

SpringStein
02-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Adding to what Matt said on Wendling - pretty impressive numbers:

4.43 forty
22 reps
38.5 vertical

Liquid Courage
02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Laron Landry ran a 4.35 today, there's no way we'll have a shot him now. Griffin put up a solid 4.45, but Nelson was at 4.53, I believe. He'll probably be there at 21. Also, John Wendling ran in the 4.4's at 221 pounds, I wouldn't mind seeing him in round 2. He could learn from Lynch for a year before taking a starting spot.

I would love Wendling; he seems alot like Lynch coming out with his smarts and athletic prowess. I assume everyone has seen this, right?

http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/video/popup-w.cfm?VID=022307wendling

Rascal
02-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Give me Charles Johnson in the 1st with Wendling in the second and I'll be pleased. Add a DT in the third and we'll be set defensively.

eddie mac
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Nelson ran a 4.48 according to NFL.com

elsid13
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
How did Michael Johnson run? And don't sleep on Sabby - 4.4

yerner
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Johnson must have been slowere than a 4.48 which was top ten. Still, he is a 4.5 guy in past workouts. 6'3 215-220.

Requiem
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
My boy Craig Dahl from NDSU put up some good workout numbers, didn't find his 40 though. I hope he gets drafted or at least gets a shot somewhere.

SpringStein
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
My boy Craig Dahl from NDSU put up some good workout numbers, didn't find his 40 though. I hope he gets drafted or at least gets a shot somewhere.

SpringStein
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
How did Michael Johnson run? And don't sleep on Sabby - 4.4

Requiem
02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Damn, I thought he'd run in the 4.5 range, dammit Craig you let me down.

Hey Spring, how you doing? :D

mattob14
02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Nelson ran a 4.48 according to NFL.com

4.53 must have been unofficial. Looking at the #'s, all of the top safeties were virtually tied, with the exception of Landry. Weddle's 4.48 surprised me, too, I figured mid-4.5's at best.

mattob14
02-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I would love Wendling; he seems alot like Lynch coming out with his smarts and athletic prowess. I assume everyone has seen this, right?

http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/video/popup-w.cfm?VID=022307wendling

The Lynch comparison seems pretty close to me: similar build, leadership, and the intelligence you mentioned. Wendling even returned punts in college, similar to Lynch early in his career. His coverage skills are supposed to still be raw, but with his athleticism, he's bound to have much better range than our current safeties.

Broncoman13
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
The Lynch comparison seems pretty close to me: similar build, leadership, and the intelligence you mentioned. Wendling even returned punts in college, similar to Lynch early in his career. His coverage skills are supposed to still be raw, but with his athleticism, he's bound to have much better range than our current safeties.

Is it me or do a lot of people seem to be confused and think that Wendling (Wyoming) and Weddle (Utah) are the same guy!!! ???

Broncoman13
02-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Here's the biggest news I see in the CBs and Ss.

1. Reggie Nelson weighing in at almost 200 lbs is huge for him. His listed weight in college was 175. For him to come in weighing near 200 and still running a sub 4.5 40 will solidfy his spot in the first round.
2. Aaron Ross running a 4.45 solidified his spot in the first round. He was expected to run about .10 slower. Some even though he might go into the 4.6 range. Nice job though I was really hoping to draft him in the 2nd. Had he run that 4.55-4.6 I was hoping for it might have been possible... now he may not make it to 21!

3. Michael Griffin's workout numbers are almost exactly what I expected, but Laron Landry's are certainly a cut above the rest. Before the combine I would have bet money that Griffin, Nelson,and Merriweather all would have faster times than Landry. Certainly a suprise there! He's a top 10 pick now based on his college production and triangle #'s.

I'm not suprised by Hughes. Most were saying that his speed would be an issue. I wouldn't be upset to see Denver draft him with one of our 3rds. He has great instincts and is a great return man regardless of speed, but a #2 CB he is not.

Disappointed that Revis didn't run. I was really anticipating his times. A 4.5 40 would be the kiss of death for him. Running in the 4.3's could push him into the #1 CB off the board. I wonder if he got spooked or never intended on running?

On yesterday's... I'd take Jarvis Moss at 21 (if Carriker didn't slide) but I wasn't overly impressed with his 40 time. Very curious to see his splits. Same can be said with Anthony Spencer, who's 40 time wasn't great either. Not bad mind you, but not great. I will say this much though, Anthony Spencer's burst was noticeable. The dude has a lot of explosion and his first 3 steps were faster than his last 3. Really excited to see those split times!

-Slap-
02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
The best example of players playing through injury is Michael Griffin. He played through a broken toe for pretty much the entire season. Even though it hurt his draft stock he wanted to be out there and gave it his all.

It wouldn't surprise me if Griffin wound up being the best safety to come out of this draft.

mattob14
02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Is it me or do a lot of people seem to be confused and think that Wendling (Wyoming) and Weddle (Utah) are the same guy!!! ???

Not at all. What in that post made you think I was confusing Wendling and Weddle?

bpc
02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
This is the deepest year for safeties that I can remember. I could make a point for Landry, Nelson, Griffin, Gattis, Weddle and Sabby.

There are more than that which are going to be good too.

I think we would be wise to take a look at Guard, Safety, CB, WR and LB just based on the sheer depth of talent in this draft. There are some big, strong, fast guys that have instincts and project very well at the next level.

BlitzingDog
02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I dunno about the S depth, it seems to me like day 1 S area is gonna be awesome, but day two S talent doesn't get me too excited.

shakenbake
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Griffin wound up being the best safety to come out of this draft.

He is going to be real good. A lot of people aren't taking into account the pain he played through this past year and how much it slowed him down. From what I have heard he is also a really good student of the game and spent a ton of time in the film room breaking down opponents.

Requiem
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I would love Michael Griffin at #21, pending on what lineman are available, but I think there will be a good player available like Charles Johnson at #21.

elsid13
02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I dunno about the S depth, it seems to me like day 1 S area is gonna be awesome, but day two S talent doesn't get me too excited.

There are legitimate 8 guys that could start in safety spot as rookie this year. Plus a couple other that will take a year to grow that might be good next year.

Obushma
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
If we took Wendling and Weddle was still on the board, I'd be pissed. Weddle was twice the football player Wendling was in college, it doesnt take combine numbers to prove that.

Liquid Courage
02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
If we took Wendling and Weddle was still on the board, I'd be pissed. Weddle was twice the football player Wendling was in college, it doesnt take combine numbers to prove that.

I'm not sure how/why Mattob and I keep getting mis-read on this . . . . we were simpling admiring the qualities of Wendling and thought that he could be a good candidate to follow Lynch given the right scenario.

Weddle could be great, too. I'm sure he is quite talented, a great athlete, a real stud with the ladies, yadda yadda yadda. I just wasn't talking about him. :thumbsup:

Obushma
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure how/why Mattob and I keep getting mis-read on this . . . . we were simpling admiring the qualities of Wendling and thought that he could be a good candidate to follow Lynch given the right scenario.

Weddle could be great, too. I'm sure he is quite talented, a great athlete, a real stud with the ladies, yadda yadda yadda. I just wasn't talking about him. :thumbsup:

I wasn't misreading anything. I noticed two guys talking about taking Wendling with our second pick. I am saying that Weddle is twice the football player that Wendling is, and if anything, it should be Weddle not Wendling with our second pick.

Broncoman13
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Weddle is the one that is known for his return abilities. I think you're confusing the two based on that statement. Wendling may have returned a punt or two, but he wasn't dynamic like Weddle.

Liquid Courage
02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I wasn't misreading anything. I noticed two guys talking about taking Wendling with our second pick. I am saying that Weddle is twice the football player that Wendling is, and if anything, it should be Weddle not Wendling with our second pick.

Point noted. I was merely supporting the potential of Wendling based upon his smarts, intangibles and measurables - aka seems like a good guy that would be easy to root for and has potential to make a difference. Sounds like you've got the goods on Weddle and Wendling and I am certainly willing to yield to your expertise on the matter considering I know little about Weddle. To be "twice the football player", he must be a helluva player and worthy of a relatively high pick which, based on past evidence, must keep him off our radar.

mattob14
02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Weddle is the one that is known for his return abilities. I think you're confusing the two based on that statement. Wendling may have returned a punt or two, but he wasn't dynamic like Weddle.

I'm not advocating either as a returner for us, but Wendling did return 11 kickoffs this year. Off the top of my head I thought they were punt returns. FWIW, he also had 6 carries for 119 yards. He may not be known as a dynamic playmaker, but the comparison was with Lynch and they do have a lot of similarities early in their career.

Weddle would be a nice safety prospect, too (I'd rather have him than Merriweather) but Wendling's a guy I think has flown under the radar a little bit and he deserves a mention as a solid prospect for us at a position of need.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Clayton's assessment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2782464&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

INDIANAPOLIS -- Not too long ago teams were lamenting what to do with the yearly scouting combine.

The artificial turf in the RCA Dome was slow, so players, convinced by agents, almost never ran. So coaches, scouts and general managers left Indianapolis grumbling about an impossible schedule of workouts they were going to have to attend in March and early April. The situation was becoming so hopeless that combine planners wondered whether moving the event to a warm-weather site would inspire more participation.

On Tuesday, the NFL completed a successful 2007 combine and everyone took a collective breath. Players ran fast. Roughly 300 of the 327 players participated in at least one of the workout drills. Like last year, teams can now get an earlier jump on setting up their draft boards because they have legitimate times and physical measurements for such a large number of the players.

Now, workouts are on live television, and players and agents are eating up the attention. Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who didn't plan to run, got caught up in the moment, borrowed some shoes and ran a blistering 4.35 40-yard dash. The moment was memorable.

Jeff Foster, who coordinates the combine so well, even opened parts of Sunday's workout to two sets of pool reporters, another sign of potential future openness. More than 350 media credentials were used for the combine. It's become the NFL's version of the baseball winter meetings, set less than a week before the start of free agency.

Agents pay a lot of money to get players ready for their workouts. What's great to see is their investments are worthwhile. Players looked like track stars as they ran the 40.

Here are some of the highlights of the 2007 combine:

1. Winners: Where do you start? Calvin Johnson is clearly the best athlete in this draft; at 6-foot-5 and 239 pounds, he was still able to run a 4.35 in the 40. That's freakish. Wisconsin left tackle Joe Thomas thought the track was a little slow but, weighing 311 pounds, he ran an impressive 4.92 40 and had 31 lifts at 225 pounds. Wide receiver Jason Hill of Washington State blistered everyone with a 4.32 40, pushing himself from the third round into the second or maybe even the first. Greg Olsen of Miami blew away the tight ends with a 4.51 in the 40, more than two tenths of a second faster than the next closest tight end. Olsen secured a spot in the first round. Chris Houston of Arkansas (4.32) and Jonathan Wade of Tennessee (4.36) were extremely impressive among the defensive backs. Chris Henry of Arizona was the surprise at running back, tying Adrian Peterson with a 4.4 in the 40. Gaines Adams of Clemson might have locked up the top defensive end spot with a 4.64 40-yard dash. Safety LaRon Landry of LSU secured a top-10 spot by running the 40 in 4.35.

2. Losers: Scouts always say no one loses if they run at Indy, but that isn't always true. Not every prospect who works out at the combine has his best day, putting a lot of pressure on his individual workout. What's true this year, though, is that only a few prospects saw their stock drop. JaMarcus Russell is considered the likely No. 1 overall pick by the Raiders, but he had 10 pounds of excess weight around his stomach that he needs to shed. He didn't work out, and there will be plenty of scrutiny on his physical conditioning when he has his individual workout on March 14. Tackle Levi Brown ran in the 5.2s and failed on his bid to move ahead of Thomas as the top offensive lineman. Still, Brown should be a top-12 pick. Wide receivers Sidney Rice of South Carolina and Dwayne Bowe of LSU didn't run fast. The stakes are getting higher for receivers in terms of speed. Both need good times at their individual workouts. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons of Florida State was a borderline first-rounder, but he didn't look quick enough and might have slipped into the second round.

Kevin Terrell/WireImage.com
Brady Quinn will work out for scouts March 4 at Notre Dame.3. What's left: Brady Quinn starts off the main individual workout season on March 4 at Notre Dame. He showed his strength by putting up 24 reps at 225 pounds, but he needs a good throwing day to push himself toward the top of the draft. All eyes will be on Pittsburgh cornerback Darrelle Revis to see if he can match the top times at cornerback. Wide receivers Ted Ginn Jr. of Ohio State and Dwayne Jarrett of USC still have to run their 40s at their workouts. Ginn doesn't know when he can run because of the foot sprain he suffered in the national championship game. Rumors have Jarrett running bad times in some of his training. Michael Bush of Louisville has to show everyone his broken leg is healing. Defensive end Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas plans to put on a show to see if he can move ahead of Adams as the top defensive end.

4. Speed is everything: No position in the draft is like cornerback. It's a track meet. Most teams hold off on their ratings for cornerbacks until they watch them run. Eight defensive backs ran 4.4 or under at the combine. Chris Houston of Arkansas may have jumped toward the top of the pack with his 4.32 time in the 40. Jonathan Wade of Tennessee (4.36), Leon Hall of Michigan (4.39), Josh Wilson of Maryland (4.39), Marcus McCauley of Fresno State (4.39) and Aaron Ross of Texas (4.44) set the early line for speed as the cornerback position sorts out. Revis of Pitt and Cal's Daymeion Hughes still have to get their times recorded at the individual workouts.

5. Speed receivers: The cornerbacks coming into the NFL better be fast because the receivers were like lightning at the combine. Nineteen receivers ran 4.49 or better. This is one of the biggest, most impressive groups of receivers seen in years. Johnson was obviously the highlight, but Hill (4.32) helped himself the most. Robert Meachem of Tennessee ran a 4.39 and caught the ball very well. There could be six to seven first-round wide receivers. It's clearly one of the most impressive positions in the draft.

6. No. 3 quarterback battle: Michigan State's Drew Stanton appeared to get a little edge over Trent Edwards of Stanford and Troy Smith of Ohio State, but the combine did little to sort this one out. Smith threw but did not run. He throws the ball harder and faster than most but his accuracy was shaky. Stanton wasn't completely accurate, but he looked smoother as a pocket passer. Smith admitted he was a little out of shape by being on the banquet circuit. Quinn, meanwhile, seems confident he'll put on a pretty good show at his Notre Dame workout on March 4. He's clearly the No. 2 quarterback now and is moving back toward the top five. Russell was a bit soft around the midsection but he still has the strongest arm in the draft.

Kevin Terrell/WireImage.com
Adrian Peterson is expected to be a top five pick in the upcoming draft.7. Backfield in motion: Clearly, this is a two-back draft. Peterson will probably go to Cleveland with the third pick and Marshawn Lynch of Cal secured a mid first-round grade with his 4.46 time in the 40. Peterson tied Chris Henry of Arizona with a 4.4 40 and he did it despite finding out his half brother was shot over the weekend. That's simply incredible concentration. What's interesting about the rest of the backs is that there are great, raw, big backs who will be available in the second and third rounds. Henry came out of nowhere to run his 4.4 weighing 230 pounds. Ohio State's Antonio Pittman helped his stock with a 4.4 40. Michael Bush of Louisville still has to run. This isn't the year to get an impact running back -- either in free agency or in the draft, but it's a good year to add depth. The backs in the draft are big and have some speed. The free agent backs are more 1-A type of prospects who may not be featured but can help.

8. Interior decorating: Guards and centers looked particularly good during the combine. USC center Ryan Kalil was the best looking center at the Senior Bowl and he was the most impressive athlete at center with a 4.96 40. Justin Blalock of Texas was impressive at guard with a 5.1 40 and did 40 reps at 225 pounds. Good interior linemen could run through the third and fourth rounds and many look as though they could start in their first seasons.

9. Strong class of defensive ends: Clemson's Adams and Arkansas' Anderson hoped to convince the Cardinals and the Redskins to make them the fifth and sixth players in the draft, and this is one impressive group of defensive ends. Adam Carriker of Nebraska was the top linemen on the 20-yard shuttle and is clearly the top 3-4 end available. He should be on the fringe of being in the top 10. Big Ten blockers talked about how tough it was to stop Purdue end Anthony Spencer and his testing explains why. He was one of the best in the cone drills and the shuttles. Good pass rushers are like that.

10. Summing it up: Though Russell looks to be the No. 1 pick with the Raiders, we'll have to watch the trade market to see if the Raiders can move Randy Moss. If they do, Al Davis could fall for Johnson because he loves speedy receivers who are big. Thomas should go second to Detroit. Peterson may have locked up the Browns' pick at No. 3. The Bucs will lean toward Johnson, but don't discount the possibility of Jon Gruden falling in love with Quinn. Adams and Anderson could go to Arizona and Washington with the next two picks, but they have to sort out the order. Plus, the Redskins, who don't have picks in rounds two, three and four, might be trying to trade down to get more picks.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Murphy's Winners and losers

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtNQJngSit2HpPVo53HYrRNDubYF?slug=jm-combinewrapup022807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

INDIANAPOLIS – While the temperatures dipped into the 20s and 30s, the track inside the RCA Dome at the NFL Scouting Combine was heated up by the remarkable number of sub-4.4 40-yard dash times flashing across the board. It started on Saturday when Miami (Fla.) junior tight end Greg Olsen crossed the finish line in the mid-4.4 range after most expected him to run between 4.55 and 4.60. It continued throughout the weekend as running backs, wide receivers and then even linebackers ran times more impressive than the previous guy.

Overall, once the defensive back groups completed their workouts Tuesday afternoon, a total 18 players had run at least one 40-yard dash that resulted in a time within the 4.3 range.

It would be easy to evaluate the fastest runners or most impressive workout results and present those players as the winners or losers of this year's combine, but there is so much more that goes into the final decisions made by the 32 teams.

The past week was a very important piece of the draft equation and Wednesday's first pro day event, which takes place on the campus of SMU, will kick-off the next phase. But for now, we will look at the top winners and losers from the past seven days.

WINNERS

ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona junior running back Chris Henry: The "Workout Warrior" award winner from this year's event clearly has made folks grab their phones and request new game film. More importantly, many teams now plan to speak to his high school staff and others to determine his character and personality since there are a variety of stories swirling about his reason for leaving school a year early. A big back, he now has proven wheels (4.33/4.40 in the 40), while also showing very good strength (26 bench reps at 225 pounds), the top vertical (36") for his group and better-than-advertised hands during the positional workout. If, and I stress if, a team in great need of a future starting back gets comfortable with his character and background, one of the more highly-touted backs could get bypassed and Henry could get taken in the third round of the draft. His workout has taken him out of fifth- to seventh-round range and given him a flicker of light in terms of day one potential.

Arkansas junior cornerback Chris Houston: In our original Top 50 rating of the prospects and in a preview of defensive backs for the combine, this was a player I noted to keep close tabs on as someone who would jump to the forefront of his position. Houston did that with a superb all-around workout, including his 4.32/4.35 40-time, 27 bench reps and 36" vertical. A very well-built cover corner that possesses the best set of man coverage skills in the draft, his rise toward the top of this class could end up with him being a top-12 to top-15 pick.

Kansas State senior wide receiver Yamon Figurs: Ran the fastest time (4.3) of any offensive prospect in attendance. Has a very good combination of receiver and return man skills, which should translate well on draft day. So while many evaluators might have him rated as a mid-round pick, he's much closer to a third-round prospect now than many more familiar names. He reminds some of a younger version of Deion Branch.

Mississippi senior linebacker Patrick Willis: He started the postseason as one of the most productive defenders available, but between the Senior Bowl practices and his performance at the combine, he has now become one of the most athletic. His 4.48/4.50-range 40 times impressed even the harshest critic, but he also appears to be more flexible and comfortable dropping back into coverage – two areas that were questioned just two months ago. When you consider his qualities of ideal instincts, intangibles and all-around athleticism, it is likely that he could come off the board within the top 10 to 12 picks.

LSU senior safety LaRon Landry: While many expected him to produce solid workout numbers, no one could predict the blazing speed which had even his biggest fans glancing several times at their watches. He came across in the mid-4.3 range with some quick-twitch timers having him as fast as 4.29. The ability to use him in a variety of roles – he has savvy instincts, very good balls skills and the willingness to provide ample support against the run – could drive his stock toward the top 10 picks of the draft.

Texas senior defensive end Brian Robison: He elevated his game thanks to his impressive all-around workout. His 4.65-range 40-time was the best in his group, he showed very good explosiveness in his drills and nailed a 40.5" vertical for good measure. He performed positional drills as both a defensive end and outside linebacker, which has many teams evaluating a conversion to a 3-4 OLB. His personality and attitude will make him an ideal situational pass rusher and special team player during his rookie campaign, but his workout numbers have now given him a shot of being taken on the first day. The defensive end that had the next best workout was Miami (Fla.) senior Baraka Atkins, as the 270-plus pounder ran 4.68 with a 33" vertical while showing explosiveness in most of his drills.

Stanford senior quarterback Trent Edwards: The most important part of his combine came from the fact that he passed the eye test with flying colors before running in the low- to mid-4.70 range, which proved that he is fully recovered from a foot injury that sidelined him during the second half of last season. His pro day will give him the chance to show scouts that he has very good natural skills as a passer, but the fact that none of the other possible second-tier signal callers jumped out this past weekend offers him the opportunity to do so and become the third-rated QB on many boards.

Versatile linebackers: It would have been hard to chose just one of them, so this will help cover the guys that opened the most eyes. Florida International linebacker Antwan Barnes, who stands to be the school's first-ever draft pick, wowed scouts with his 4.4 speed and previously had done 31 reps of 225 pounds. He figures to be a perfect fit for a 3-4 OLB or situational pass rusher early in his career. The same can be said for Penn State linebacker Tim Shaw, who also ran in the low- to mid-4.4 range and showed very good movement skills during his workout. Finally, New Mexico linebacker Quincy Black, who flashed good footwork and instincts at the East-West Shrine game, had a lights-out workout session that included 4.42-4.45 40-times, 24 bench reps and the top vertical jump of the entire class at 41.5". Black now could be taken on the first day when most rated him as a mid- to late-round prospect.

Defensive backs: This group as a whole was helped by the fact that NFL teams are genuinely in need of three things right now: premier pass blockers, pass rushers and cover corners. There are a handful of blockers and pass rushers on the free-agent market, but the corner position is almost barren of talent. The fact that we saw so many high-ranked defenders run in the 4.4 range or better bodes well for the group come draft day, as there could be at least two major runs on the position before the end of the first three rounds. The players most impacted by that could include Alabama State's Michael Coe, UNLV's Eric Wright, Georgia Tech's Kenny Scott and Weber State's Bo Smith.

Kevin Boss, Western Oregon: While many will write about Whitworth (Wash.) tight end Michael Allan, who himself had a very impressive workout, I came away further excited by the future upside of this Division II prospect. He had to spend the first half of the postseason rehabbing from a shoulder injury, so he was unable to lift at the combine. But for a full-sized player at this position, he flashed desired athleticism: mid-4.7 range in the 40, the best short shuttle time (6.92) and a 35" vertical. If you ever get the chance to watch tapes of him against Humboldt State or Central Washington, you can see twice during his college career that at over 6-foot-6, 260 pounds, he leaps over a defender in stride and continues down the field. He is a developmental prospect that has a fair amount of upside thanks to his receiving skills.

LOSERS

California senior cornerback Daymeion Hughes: The All-American has great instincts and savvy coverage skills, but what he does not have is workout warrior numbers to match them. Many felt that he would fail to break into the 4.5 range in the 40, but his even slower than expected times (4.7 range) could cause him to fall out of the first round. He's a fine athlete that consistently makes plays on game film, but zone coverage teams will have to limit how often he gets caught by himself without help over the top.

Ohio State senior quarterback Troy Smith: The Heisman Trophy winner passed on participating during the measurable drills activities, where he likely would have tested out as one of the better athletes at his position. Instead, he looked a little out of shape in terms of his overall rhythm during the positional portion of his workout with a handful of balls being under-thrown – a trend that has caused scouts to reevaluate the game films they watched this season.

Georgia Tech senior wide receiver/return man Reggie Ball: A converted quarterback, he was unable to open eyes in several important areas, most importantly being speed. He ran in the high 4.7 range, though he did produce good numbers in the agility drills. Giving scouts an indication that he could make the transition to being an all-purpose prospect would have required a 4.5-range 40-time. He will have a second chance to impress teams at his pro day, but for now he is looking more like a free agent-type prospect.

USC junior wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett: Jarrett said all the right things during the interview portion of his weekend, but he sounded like a player that knew he had limited workout skills since he repeatedly pointed to his stats and production as reasons he should be drafted high. However, by passing on the workout portion of the combine, he has raised a lot of eyebrows. He said that he was dealing with a hamstring injury that arose during training, but one of the other players that has been working out at the same pre-combine training location admitted that Jarrett's testing times were slower than desired and that waiting another four or five 5 weeks until USC's pro day probably would allow him the chance to slightly improve his times. However, breaking into the 4.6 range might still be a tall task for the ultra-productive receiver.

Oklahoma senior outside linebacker Rufus Alexander: Alexander nearly declared a year ago, and may live to unfortunately regret returning for his senior campaign after generating just average workout results. He ran in the 4.70 range while failing to record Top-5 status in any of the other major categories. What made it worse was the fact that so many lesser-known defenders were able to produce better numbers across the board. He is more of a run-and-chase guy, as he prefers to go around blocks and used his speed in college to make most of his plays. So if you are a step slower to the ball at the NFL level, it makes you far less of a playmaker. He will still get some love from Cover 2-schemed teams, but he could be a guy whose name jumps out at you if he is still available on day two.

John Murphy is Yahoo! Sports' NFL personnel and college prospect evaluator.

Rascal
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm very interested in Anthony Spencer especially if we don't take a DE in round 1. What is his projected round?

SpringStein
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm very interested in Anthony Spencer especially if we don't take a DE in round 1. What is his projected round?

I'd guess early second.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Looks like he will be a second rounder, but will play 3-4 OLB. He's got no lower body power. Skinny below the waist.

elsid13
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Looks like he will be a second rounder, but will play 3-4 OLB. He's got no lower body power. Skinny below the waist.

Maylock on the NFL channel thinks he doesn't have the athletic skills to an Outside LB in 3-4 and that he is DE in the league

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Maylock on the NFL channel thinks he doesn't have the athletic skills to an Outside LB in 3-4 and that he is DE in the league

Then I would stay away from him. He's got no a33 and stick legs.

elsid13
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Then I would stay away from him. He's got no a33 and stick legs.

I think he going be a boom or bust player.

Mediator12
02-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I think he going be a boom or bust player.

Anthony Spencer played against some big ass OT's in the big ten Including Levi Brown and Thomas. And, he more than held his own against those guys even in the running game. Do not misconstrue triangle numbers over a football player. Anthony Spencer is a football player, and a better Pass rusher than anyone not named Adams, Moss, or Anderson in this draft.

epicSocialism4tw
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Fun bump.