PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Clockwork Orange
02-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Spring trainings are opening up, so it's time to start talking small ball. We've always kept a general hockey thread going, so I figure we can do the same with baseball.

So get in here all you seamheads, bleacher bums and roto geeks. The season is just weeks away. :)

Hogan11
02-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Since the Flyers suck this year and I'm not into basketball or NASCAR....March is going to be kinda hard to take.

As a Pirates fan, I'm excited by the moves the team made and think they can actually compete this year in the NL Central barring injury.

DBroncos4life
02-16-2007, 02:08 AM
who do you keep Arroyo or Bedard?

-Slap-
02-16-2007, 02:12 AM
The Pirates are definitely improved. I think the rotation and everyday lineup are each better than they have been in years. The bullpen is weaker, but Capps might step up and change that. They played over .500 ball over the last 70 games or so and I think its not unreasonable they could do that over an entire season. Very tough division, though.

-Slap-
02-16-2007, 02:14 AM
who do you keep Arroyo or Bedard?

I trust Bedard more and I think he has a higher ceiling.

I don't know if I would keep either of them, though.

How many keepers do you get?

SouthStndJunkie
02-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Let's go Tigers!

DBroncos4life
02-16-2007, 03:16 AM

I don't know if I would keep either of them, though.

How many keepers do you get?

Im keeping Natan, Pettite, Zambrano, and Beckett. Arroyo is the 16th rated pitcher in that league so I'm leaning towards him just because I think I have a better chance at getting Bedard in the draft. I'm very high on Bedard and I worry that the NL will catch on to Arroyo as well but still early on I think I could move him if he is pitching well. I have Pedro but I can't afford to wait on him and Colon is too iffy to keep. The other guy that I like is Ervin Santana, but I just don't know about him right now. As is I have the third best pitching staff in my division. I guess thats what I get for setting out a year during a keep league. (more like forced out a year)

SoCalBronco
02-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Go Pale Hose.

Taco John
02-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Thank God for fantasy baseball, because I'd never be able to make it through a season if I had to rely on the Mariners to keep my interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mariner fan and enjoy getting to a game when I can. But baseball seasons are long, and all that losing really wears on you. And it's looking like it's going to be another loooooooong season.

Hogan11
02-16-2007, 08:19 AM
The Pirates are definitely improved. I think the rotation and everyday lineup are each better than they have been in years. The bullpen is weaker, but Capps might step up and change that. They played over .500 ball over the last 70 games or so and I think its not unreasonable they could do that over an entire season. Very tough division, though.

I generally agree but I'm not buying the bullpen is weaker thing. I know Gonzalez was solid as a closer, but he was also lost during that 70 game stretch due to an elbow injury and they got along just fine without him....Capps, Torres, Marte, Grabow et.al can and will be just as strong and will get the job done...barring injury of course.

Jens1893
02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
CO, Holliday will get paid ... by whom is the question.

Bronco LB 59
02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Plenty of news out there and pitchers/catchers have only reported....

Keith Foulke retires.

Kerry Wood injured. What's new. This time slipping getting out of a hot tub.

Mike Mussina started the Bronx Zoo **** storm on the first day by throwing his teammate Carl Pavano under the bus.

Daisuke Mania is unreal.

spdirty
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Spring Training already? damnit!

-Slap-
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Barry Zito says he's going to change his pitching motion and Giant pitching coach Dave Righetti is already predicting an arm injury for him.

Clockwork Orange
02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
CO, Holliday will get paid ... by whom is the question.

:moody:

Taco John
02-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Bedard and Jared Waver are my boys! I picked both of these guys up last year as free agents, and they both gave my pitching staff a huge boost. I got Bedard when he was considered pond scum, and he did nothing but deliver the goods all season long after that.

WABronco
02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Thank God for fantasy baseball, because I'd never be able to make it through a season if I had to rely on the Mariners to keep my interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mariner fan and enjoy getting to a game when I can. But baseball seasons are long, and all that losing really wears on you. And it's looking like it's going to be another loooooooong season.

As bad as it looked, the rotation rebuild actually dramatically improved the staff. Gone is Pineiroid. Gone is Gil. Gone are any thoughts of Cha Baek or Woods in the rotation. The Weaver signing is actually pretty damn good, and there's a good chance we surprise and pitch league-average or so.

There's a lot of "ifs" (as always), but if Jose Guillen is healthy and if Beltre and Ichiro carry over and if Yuni and Lopez progress and if Felix doesn't do anything rash...etc...there's room for some optimism IMO.

NaptownChief
02-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I saw that the Reds brought in Josh Hamilton, DRays #1 overall pick and former drug burn out, to camp under rule 5. Decent chance he makes the squad now that Kearns and Willy Mo were delt last year. And gawd knows they need to get Adam Dunn out of there and put somewhere his glove can't hurt them as bad.

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I hope Bonds, the greatest player ever, breaks the record this year.

Drek
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I hope Bonds, the greatest sh!thead ever, blows his cover this year.
Fixed that for you.

I hope he gets to 754 then the feds throw him in jail. That'd be beautiful.

Pendejo
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I saw that the Reds brought in Josh Hamilton, DRays #1 overall pick and former drug burn out, to camp under rule 5. Decent chance he makes the squad now that Kearns and Willy Mo were delt last year. And gawd knows they need to get Adam Dunn out of there and put somewhere his glove can't hurt them as bad.

San Diego.

-Slap-
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Always productive when the so-called moderators troll the threads in this dump.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Fixed that for you.

I hope he gets to 754 then the feds throw him in jail. That'd be beautiful.

I'd love that.

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have an honest assessment of Hirsh and Buchholz, the pitchers the Rockies received in the Jennings trade?

broncswin
02-16-2007, 06:24 PM
My Dodgers are gonna make some noise this year with the addition of schmidt, their rotation could be tought to beat, and the added veteran leadership of Gonzo will be big for the young sticks such as: Kemp, Eithier, Bettemit and others. GO DODGER BLUE!!!!!!!!!

Drek
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have an honest assessment of Hirsh and Buchholz, the pitchers the Rockies received in the Jennings trade?

I hear Hirsh is supposed to have similar upside to Jason Jennings, Bucholz is a notch below that. Baseball America has Hirsh as the #3 Rockies prospect, below fellow pitcher #2 Franklin Morales, Bucholz didn't make their top 10.

OrangeShadow
02-16-2007, 07:37 PM
spring training is here and i was shoveling a foot and a half of snow yesterday. wtf

Taco John
02-17-2007, 07:08 AM
As bad as it looked, the rotation rebuild actually dramatically improved the staff. Gone is Pineiroid. Gone is Gil. Gone are any thoughts of Cha Baek or Woods in the rotation. The Weaver signing is actually pretty damn good, and there's a good chance we surprise and pitch league-average or so.

There's a lot of "ifs" (as always), but if Jose Guillen is healthy and if Beltre and Ichiro carry over and if Yuni and Lopez progress and if Felix doesn't do anything rash...etc...there's room for some optimism IMO.

I hope that you're right. I'm looking at a $111 million dollar roster and wondering WTF?

elsid13
02-17-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm super excited, the Red Sox starting 5 has potential to be superstrong, and my only concern is the closer slot. But I hear the kid they signed from Seattle is looking good and Hanson is has his slider working.

Drek
02-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm super excited, the Red Sox starting 5 has potential to be superstrong, and my only concern is the closer slot. But I hear the kid they signed from Seattle is looking good and Hanson is has his slider working.

Hansen is going back to his old delivery from when he was ranked as the most MLB ready player in his draft with the best fastball and slider in the class.

Piniero has some potential to make it as a closer I think, but thankfully we have a lot of other options.

Okijima, a lhp Japanese reliever, could do well in the closer's role, especially since many Japanese pitchers enjoy an edge over their first half-season or so while the league has no MLB level scouting on them.

Delcarmen was solid last year despite horrible luck (disgusting BABIP). If he can improve the accuracy of his curveball it'd be an excellent compliment to his fastball and he could potentially take the closer's role.

There are some other guys who have a reduced shot at creating some noise too. Big Edgar Martinez has been very good recently with a 2.61 closing in Portland and a 2.19 in the Venezuelan Winter League. He's got a beastly 97 mph four seamer and has improved very fast for a converted catcher.

Bryce Cox is nearly the exact same prospect as Hansen was too, only with a little more heat on the fastball and not quite the power slider Hansen had coming out. Shut down A ball competition last summer after being up and down during his career at Rice. If he keeps it together he could be a legit bullpen option come August.

Kyle Jackson is a dark horse after a strong season in Portland as well, but I think his poor AFL showing will limit him to a AAA promotion and no higher this year.

What I'm really happy with is the mid level talent the FO has added to the farm. Baseball America ranked the '05 draft #2 overall and our '06 draft #1 overall. We moved some upper level prospects last winter in Hanley, Anibal Sanchez, Shoppach, and Marte but we brought back Kottaras who's a better prospect than Shoppach and still have Lester and Ellsbury as two top tier guys. Murphy offers some upside still after adding about 15 pounds and reportedly showing more power this winter, that with Pedroia taking over 2B this year and Papelbon, Beckett, and Matsuzaka giving us three high powered starters 26 or younger.

Good time to be a Sox fan. Now if the Rockies would just send us Helton. ;D

Dukes
02-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I hope Bonds, the greatest player ever, breaks the record this year.

**** him!

elsid13
02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Good time to be a Sox fan. Now if the Rockies would just send us Helton. ;D

I would have loved Helton, but no way was Theo going up the young pitchers they wanted. They can Lowell and Tavarez that is it.

Boston needs to get the bullpen sorted out and this could be very very good team.

Clockwork Orange
02-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I would have loved Helton, but no way was Theo going up the young pitchers they wanted. They can Lowell and Tavarez that is it.

I don't agree with the Rockies braintrust on much, but I do agree that I'd rather keep Helton than trade him for the spare parts Boston was offering.

Drek
02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't agree with the Rockies braintrust on much, but I do agree that I'd rather keep Helton than trade him for the spare parts Boston was offering.

I don't know, Helton's performance dropped some last year, Colorado has a pretty good 1B coming up through the system, and Helton is already 1/4th the payroll and that percentage will only go up.

If moving Helton lets them resign Holliday and Hawpe when their deals come due I'd say its worth it. As it is they'll hang onto Helton, he'll draw just enough for them to make a profit and never do a damn thing to improve the team.

Jens1893
02-17-2007, 02:34 PM
What slot on the rotation is Papelbon probably getting? And why did they move him to the rotation if they feel he wore down towards the end of the season due to pitching so many innings? Don´t starters usually rack up more innings than closers? Or was the rest between appearances the reason?

Bronco LB 59
02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
What slot on the rotation is Papelbon probably getting? And why did they move him to the rotation if they feel he wore down towards the end of the season due to pitching so many innings? Don´t starters usually rack up more innings than closers? Or was the rest between appearances the reason?

Papelbon most likely will be the #4 guy after Daisuke, Schilling, Beckett and before Lester/Wakefield.

Papelbon came up through the system as the starter and with three quality pitches, that has always been the long-term plan for him. Plus, the Red Sox are from the Moneyball think tank and they don't put a lot of value into the closers role. They think Papelbon throwing one inning entering the game with nobody on base is a waste of his talent.

Last year, they put Papelbon in the pen to ease him into the majors and cap the usage of miles on his arm. He only threw 68 1/3 innings last season. After one year, they feel ready to take the training wheels off. Considering how he pitched as a starter in Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket, I think Papelbon is ready for the challenge. He's 26 years old, past the 20-25 danger range for young pitchers and he's ready for an increased workload to 170-200 IP. I wouldn't worry, the Red Sox are the last team that will run him into the ground like Dusty Baker.

Jens1893
02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Papelbon most likely will be the #4 guy after Daisuke, Schilling, Beckett and before Lester/Wakefield.

Papelbon came up through the system as the starter and with three quality pitches, that has always been the long-term plan for him. Plus, the Red Sox are from the Moneyball think tank and they don't put a lot of value into the closers role. They think Papelbon throwing one inning entering the game with nobody on base is a waste of his talent.

Last year, they put Papelbon in the pen to ease him into the majors and cap the usage of miles on his arm. He only threw 68 1/3 innings last season. After one year, they feel ready to take the training wheels off. Considering how he pitched as a starter in Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket, I think Papelbon is ready for the challenge. He's 26 years old, past the 20-25 danger range for young pitchers and he's ready for an increased workload to 170-200 IP. I wouldn't worry, the Red Sox are the last team that will run him into the ground like Dusty Baker.

Thanks.

Drek
02-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Papelbon's dead arm problems were the result of loose joints throughout his body, a genetic condition he inherited from his mother. It had never proven a problem prior in his career but its believed working many back to back nights throwing full strength resulted in the flare up. The Red Sox training staff believe that the joint condition will be more easily managed in the structured regiment a starter works in rather than the sporadic usage of a closer.

Thats not to say he couldn't potentially go back to closing if starting was to not work out or if the team really needed an anchor at the back of the 'pen, but the front office's long term plans of having Papelbon start and the medical staff's opinion regarding his condition tie in perfectly, making a move to starter ideal all around.

I'm expecting a rotation (in order) of Schilling, Matsuzaka, Beckett, Wakefield, and Papelbon. Wakefield with his knuckleball is an innings horse so lining him up before Papelbon should leave the bullpen rested to relieve Paps during or at the end of the 6th inning. The 5th starter can also be skipped occasionally through the rotation, further lightening the load on Paps. Management wants Papelbon to pitch in the area of 250 IPs in '07, taking an intermediate step between 90 IP reliever to 280+ IP starter. Their biggest concern is having Papelbon at full strength come the playoffs.

I personally don't expect too much from Lester, even though he's started throwing already. He struggled with command last year and just took a big blow to his conditioning due to cancer treatments. I think he'll start the season off in Pawtucket working himself back into competitive shape and refining his control, with him moving to Fenway mid-season if someone has gotten hurt or if Papelbon is needed in the 'pen.

Clement will see a similar role while he rehabs his rotator cuff, but I don't expect much of anything from him.

Breck Bronc
02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm more excited for the start of this baseball season than I've been in a long time. Mostly because it means this awful winter is finally coming to an end and spring will be here soon. I can't wait to walk into Coors Field and see all that beautiful green grass after seeing nothing but white around town since mid-December.

Clockwork Orange
02-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't know, Helton's performance dropped some last year, Colorado has a pretty good 1B coming up through the system, and Helton is already 1/4th the payroll and that percentage will only go up.

If moving Helton lets them resign Holliday and Hawpe when their deals come due I'd say its worth it. As it is they'll hang onto Helton, he'll draw just enough for them to make a profit and never do a damn thing to improve the team.

The problem is that trading Helton will have little to no impact on whether or not Holliday or Atkins is re-signed. Charlie Monfort has already basically said that Holliday will be too expensive to sign. No comment on Atkins, but one more season like last year will likely put him on the next train out of town, too. This ownership simply doesn't want to pay anyone.

Bronco LB 59
02-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I personally don't expect too much from Lester, even though he's started throwing already. He struggled with command last year and just took a big blow to his conditioning due to cancer treatments. I think he'll start the season off in Pawtucket working himself back into competitive shape and refining his control, with him moving to Fenway mid-season if someone has gotten hurt or if Papelbon is needed in the 'pen.

I agree. The Red Sox would be also wise to send Craig Hansen back to Pawtucket. He didn't dominate at the Triple-A level last year, his command was subpar the entire season and he had difficulty establishing his slider.

How do you think Piniero will fare? He's always been an Ace type talent, but poor mechanics and arm woes doomed him in Seattle. He did pitch better during a 2nd half reassignment to the bullpen. He lowered his arm angle getting more sink on his fastball and his vital ratios improved. Do you think he will break camp as the closer? The Red Sox couldn't possibly go more than a month with Timlin at this point in his career.

Drek
02-17-2007, 07:52 PM
The problem is that trading Helton will have little to no impact on whether or not Holliday or Atkins is re-signed. Charlie Monfort has already basically said that Holliday will be too expensive to sign. No comment on Atkins, but one more season like last year will likely put him on the next train out of town, too. This ownership simply doesn't want to pay anyone.

Depends, the new revenue sharing deal does enforce something of a base salary, and Monfort has a history of paying lip service to fielding a "competitive" team. If he cleared half of Helton's money off the books I think it'd be just what he'd need to resign Holliday or Atkins (not both) to a $10M per deal or so, where he'd be pocketing a couple million of the Helton savings on the back end with the perfect excuse of "Helton's savings kept Holliday/Atkins".

I agree. The Red Sox would be also wise to send Craig Hansen back to Pawtucket. He didn't dominate at the Triple-A level last year, his command was subpar the entire season and he had difficulty establishing his slider.

How do you think Piniero will fare? He's always been an Ace type talent, but poor mechanics and arm woes doomed him in Seattle. He did pitch better during a 2nd half reassignment to the bullpen. He lowered his arm angle getting more sink on his fastball and his vital ratios improved. Do you think he will break camp as the closer? The Red Sox couldn't possibly go more than a month with Timlin at this point in his career.
I honestly don't see Hansen getting a lot out of being backin Pawtucket. Its better for him to start there to make sure his delivery working well again, but his stuff is so far beyond what most Triple A pitchers have it'll do him little good from a competition standpoint. I watched a good amount of Hansen's minor league career since a big chunk was spent in Portland (I'm from Maine). He's got what it takes if he'd just put it together consistently.

I'm hopeful on Piniero, but only to a certain extent. I don't think he'll become an elite closer, but he could become a very solid one. Will he break camp with the role? I don't think so. I personally am betting on a closer by committee style early look with Timlin getting the closing chances for the first month due to Francona's unfamiliarity with most anyone else vying for the role. Okajima will open up strong and take the job if Piniero or Delcarmen hasn't proven themselves capable to that point. If that happens he'll hang onto it until the later part of the season when I think it'll likely be given to Hansen.

Piniero's contract is structured to guarantee him considerable money if he wins the closer's role so I think the FO has probably given Francona the message, Piniero only finishes games if he's earned the closer role convincingly.

elsid13
02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
When it all said and done I think Hanson is closer, his problem last year was trying to overpower the hitter instead of pitching. Tek's lose last season really hurt because the young pitchers were forced to think on their own vs following his judgement. Everyone one of the pitchers struggled when Tek left the game. There is a reason that guy gets the red C on his chest.

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
The Seven Aces Roto Formula forbids me to select any pitchers in the first seven rounds unless I can justify them as a legitimate steal at that point in the draft. I identified a dozen pitchers as worthy of drafting that high this season.

Johan Santana - 5th overall pick
Chris Carpenter - 4th round
Roy Oswalt - 5th round
Carlos Zambrano - 5th round
Brandon Webb - 6th round
Roy Halladay - 6th round
Jake Peavy - 6th round
Joe Nathan - 6th round
Francisco Rodriguez - 6th round
Billy Wagner - 7th round
BJ Ryan - 7th round
Mariano Rivera - 7th round

Nobody fell into that criteria in this draft, so this team is tilted strongly towards offense. Hitters are much more reliable than pitchers, so I favor an 8/2 hitting/pitching split in the first ten rounds.

Seven Aces I

3B 1 (#4) Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
1B 2 (#17) Lance Berkman (1B HOU)
OF 3 (#24) Matt Holliday (LF COL)
OF 4 (#37) Ichiro Suzuki (RF SEA)
OF 5 (#44) Vernon Wells (CF TOR)
SS 6 (#57) Rafael Furcal (SS LA)
1B 7 (#64) Prince Fielder (1B MIL)
P0 8 (#77) John Smoltz (SP ATL)
P0 9 (#84) Trevor Hoffman (RP SD)
2B 10 (#97) Brian Roberts (2B BAL)
P0 11 (#104) Brad Lidge (RP HOU)
P0 12 (#117) Brian Fuentes (RP COL)
P0 13 (#124) Rich Harden (SP OAK)
P0 14 (#137) Rich Hill* (SP CHC)
C0 15 (#144) Jorge Posada (C NYY)
P0 16 (#157) Joel Zumaya (RP DET)
C0 17 (#164) Johnny Estrada (C MIL)
P0 18 (#177) John Maine (SP NYM)
OF 19 (#184) Carlos Quentin (RF ARI)
OF 20 (#197) Luke Scott (RF HOU)
P0 21 (#204) Akinori Otsuka (RP TEX)
3B 22 (#217) Edwin Encarnacion (3B CIN)

P Rich Hill* traded for 3B Mark Teahen

P FA Greg Maddux
P FA Jonathan Broxton

Bronco LB 59
02-18-2007, 04:15 PM
-Slap-

Was that a mock or actual draft?

Brian Roberts is a great grab in the tenth. He's the #2 second baseman on my board after Utley.

Starting pitching is indeed thin in depth, but having Zumaya, Lidge and Broxton as relievers will help in Ks. Are Homer Bailey or Phil Hughes still available? They are probably the best bets to have a Justin Verlander type of rookie campaign. Who are the best starters still available?

Jens1893
02-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Out of interest, where did Daisuke go?

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 06:11 PM
-Slap-

Was that a mock or actual draft?

Brian Roberts is a great grab in the tenth. He's the #2 second baseman on my board after Utley.

Starting pitching is indeed thin in depth, but having Zumaya, Lidge and Broxton as relievers will help in Ks. Are Homer Bailey or Phil Hughes still available? They are probably the best bets to have a Justin Verlander type of rookie campaign. Who are the best starters still available?

That's a real draft. My first team of many this year. I had another draft yesterday. I think Roberts was the best value pick I made in that draft, too. I have him and Cano 2A and 2B this year and then a precipitous dropoff.

I think the depth in starting pitching lies between rounds 8-15 this year. Almost unbelievable how much quality SP in that range this year, but in this particular draft, all pitching was a little overvalued.

I had a great trade worked out, but the little weasel backed out at the last second after we already agreed to the terms.

I was sending Vernon Wells and Brian Fuentes and getting back Chris Carpenter and Milton "Psycho" Bradley.

Its no big deal. I have lots of big bats, so somebody will eventually give me the right deal for an Ace to anchor my staff. Its only a matter of time, and with 162 games to hash this thing out, time is on my side.

I plan to roll four RP early (provided I have four guys who are actually closing) to build up saves and then I'll catch up in wins and Ks with some well-placed two-start pitchers off the WW.

Surplus closers can often be the final piece to some blockbuster trades, too. I try to start every roto season with four or five of them. February drafts will also see me taking flyers on guys who are circling the job. As we get nearer the season, my staff might be comprised of more guys with clearer defined roles, or maybe not.

I took Akinori Otsuka in round 21. If Eric (15 IP in the last two years) Gagne falls apart again, I landed an excellent closer 8-10 rounds early.

Its also nice to have a pitcher on the back of your roster you don't care about releasing when the inevitable SP gems start popping up on the WW.

Daisuke went in round nine, Jens, two picks after I took Trevor Hoffman. I thought hard about him, but decided I couldn't wait any longer on my first closer.

Here are the pick by pick draft results:

Round 1
1 P10-DG--Gamers Albert Pujols (1B STL)
2 Seabrook Bulldogs Jose B. Reyes (SS NYM)
3 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Johan Santana (P MIN)
4 Seven Aces Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
5 Power Alley Alfonso Soriano (OF CHC)
6 Foster Doodle Ryan Howard (1B PHI)
7 Win. Or Die Trying, Chase Utley (2B PHI)
8 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Miguel M. Cabrera (3B FLA)
9 #13 Carl Crawford (OF TB)
10 Evil Empire 2 David Ortiz (U BOS)

Round 2
11 Evil Empire 2 Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA)
12 #13 Carlos Beltran (OF NYM)
13 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Grady Sizemore (OF CLE)
14 Win. Or Die Trying, David Wright (3B NYM)
15 Foster Doodle Joe Mauer (C MIN)
16 Power Alley Jason Bay (OF PIT)
17 Seven Aces Lance Berkman (1B HOU)
18 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Travis Hafner (U CLE)
19 Seabrook Bulldogs Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)
20 P10-DG--Gamers Victor J. Martinez (C CLE)

Round 3
21 P10-DG--Gamers Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
22 Seabrook Bulldogs Mark Teixeira (1B TEX)
23 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Derek Jeter (SS NYY)
24 Seven Aces Matt Holliday (OF COL)
25 Power Alley Jimmy Rollins (SS PHI)
26 Foster Doodle Carlos N. Lee (OF HOU)
27 Win. Or Die Trying, Chris Carpenter (P STL)
28 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Adam Dunn (OF CIN)
29 #13 Derrek Lee (1B CHC)
30 Evil Empire 2 Francisco Rodriguez (P ANA)

Round 4
31 Evil Empire 2 Hanley Ramirez (SS FLA)
32 #13 Aramis Ramirez (3B CHC)
33 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Bobby Abreu (OF NYY)
34 Win. Or Die Trying, Carlos Zambrano (P CHC)
35 Foster Doodle Garrett Atkins (3B COL)
36 Power Alley Andruw Jones (OF ATL)
37 Seven Aces Ichiro Suzuki (OF SEA)
38 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Scott Kazmir (P TB)
39 Seabrook Bulldogs Brandon Webb (P ARI)
40 P10-DG--Gamers Roy Oswalt (P HOU)

Round 5
41 P10-DG--Gamers Roy Halladay (P TOR)
42 Seabrook Bulldogs B.J. Ryan (P TOR)
43 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Brian McCann (C ATL)
44 Seven Aces Vernon Wells (OF TOR)
45 Power Alley Justin Morneau (1B MIN)
46 Foster Doodle Joe Nathan (P MIN)
47 Win. Or Die Trying, Michael Young (SS TEX)
48 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Jake Peavy (P SD)
49 #13 Jermaine Dye (OF CHW)
50 Evil Empire 2 Juan Pierre (OF LA)

Round 6
51 Evil Empire 2 Billy Wagner (P NYM)
52 #13 Hideki Matsui (OF NYY)
53 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Mariano Rivera (P NYY)
54 Win. Or Die Trying, Chone Figgins (OF ANA)
55 Foster Doodle J.J. Putz (P SEA)
56 Power Alley Huston Street (P OAK)
57 Seven Aces Rafael Furcal (SS LA)
58 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Johnny Damon (OF NYY)
59 Seabrook Bulldogs Ben Sheets (P MIL)
60 P10-DG--Gamers Gary Sheffield (OF DET)

Round 7
61 P10-DG--Gamers Felix Hernandez (P SEA)
62 Seabrook Bulldogs Robinson Cano (2B NYY)
63 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Bobby Jenks (P CHW)
64 Seven Aces Prince Fielder (1B MIL)
65 Power Alley Chipper Jones (3B ATL)
66 Foster Doodle Paul Konerko (1B CHW)
67 Win. Or Die Trying, Carlos Delgado (1B NYM)
68 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Julio Lugo (SS BOS)
69 #13 Jered Weaver (P ANA)
70 Evil Empire 2 Jim Thome (U CHW)

Round 8
71 Evil Empire 2 Magglio Ordonez (OF DET)
72 #13 Ryan Zimmerman (3B WAS)
73 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II* Carlos Guillen (SS DET)
74 Win. Or Die Trying, Chris Ray (P BAL)
75 Foster Doodle Brett Myers (P PHI)
76 Power Alley Todd Helton (1B COL)
77 Seven Aces John Smoltz (P ATL)
78 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Mark Teahen (3B KC)
79 Seabrook Bulldogs Nick Swisher (OF OAK)
80 P10-DG--Gamers Troy Glaus (3B TOR)

Round 9
81 P10-DG--Gamers Jason Giambi (1B NYY)
82 Seabrook Bulldogs John Lackey (P ANA)
83 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Adrian Gonzalez (1B SD)
84 Seven Aces Trevor Hoffman (P SD)
85 Power Alley Jason Schmidt (P LA)
86 Foster Doodle Daisuke Matsuzaka (P BOS)
87 Win. Or Die Trying, Scott Rolen (3B STL)
88 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Takashi Saito (P LA)
89 #13 Jeremy Bonderman (P DET)
90 Evil Empire 2 Aaron Harang (P CIN)

Round 10
91 Evil Empire 2 Alex Rios (OF TOR)
92 #13 Matt Cain (P SF)
93 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Josh Beckett (P BOS)
94 Win. Or Die Trying, Chad Cordero (P WAS)
95 Foster Doodle Cole Hamels (P PHI)
96 Power Alley Rickie Weeks (2B MIL)
97 Seven Aces Brian Roberts (2B BAL)
98 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Mike Piazza (C OAK)
99 Seabrook Bulldogs Francisco Cordero (P MIL)
100 P10-DG--Gamers Jason Isringhausen (P STL)

Round 11
101 P10-DG--Gamers Delmon Young (OF TB)
102 Seabrook Bulldogs J.D. Drew (OF BOS)
103 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Howie Kendrick (2B ANA)
104 Seven Aces Brad Lidge (P HOU)
105 Power Alley C.C. Sabathia (P CLE)
106 Foster Doodle Rocco Baldelli (OF TB)
107 Win. Or Die Trying, Dan Haren (P OAK)
108 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Tom Gordon (P PHI)
109 #13 Erik Bedard (P BAL)
110 Evil Empire 2 Richie Sexson (1B SEA)

Round 12
111 Evil Empire 2 Felipe Lopez (SS WAS)
112 #13 Bill Hall (SS MIL)
113 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Dontrelle Willis (P FLA)
114 Win. Or Die Trying, Raul Ibanez (OF SEA)
115 Foster Doodle Jeff Francoeur (OF ATL)
116 Power Alley Torii Hunter (OF MIN)
117 Seven Aces Brian Fuentes (P COL)
118 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Barry Zito (P SF)
119 Seabrook Bulldogs Russell Martin (C LA)
120 P10-DG--Gamers Eric Gagne (P TEX)

Round 13
121 P10-DG--Gamers Jonathan Papelbon (P BOS)
122 Seabrook Bulldogs Chad Tracy (3B ARI)
123 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Corey Patterson (OF BAL)
124 Seven Aces Rich Harden (P OAK)
125 Power Alley Michael Barrett (C CHC)
126 Foster Doodle Dan Uggla (2B FLA)
127 Win. Or Die Trying, Chris R. Young (P SD)
128 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Ervin Santana (P ANA)
129 #13 Justin Verlander (P DET)
130 Evil Empire 2 Randy Johnson (P ARI)

Round 14
131 Evil Empire 2 Ramon Hernandez (C BAL)
132 #13 Todd Jones (P DET)
133 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Kenji Johjima (C SEA)
134 Win. Or Die Trying, Scott Olsen (P FLA)
135 Foster Doodle Adam Wainwright (P STL)
136 Power Alley Curt Schilling (P BOS)
137 Seven Aces Rich Hill (P CHC)
138 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Michael Cuddyer (OF MIN)
139 Seabrook Bulldogs Adam A. LaRoche (1B PIT)
140 P10-DG--Gamers Nick Markakis (OF BAL)

Round 15
141 P10-DG--Gamers John Patterson (P WAS)
142 Seabrook Bulldogs Dave Bush (P MIL)
143 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Chris Capuano (P MIL)
144 Seven Aces Jorge Posada (C NYY)
145 Power Alley Coco Crisp (OF BOS)
146 Foster Doodle Brad Hawpe (OF COL)
147 Win. Or Die Trying, Barry Bonds (OF SF)
148 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Pat Burrell (OF PHI)
149 #13 Ivan Rodriguez (C DET)
150 Evil Empire 2 A.J. Burnett (P TOR)

Round 16
151 Evil Empire 2 Brandon Phillips (2B CIN)
152 #13 Josh Barfield (2B CLE)
153 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Lyle Overbay (1B TOR)
154 Win. Or Die Trying, A.J. Pierzynski (C CHW)
155 Foster Doodle Gary Matthews (OF ANA)
156 Power Alley Jose Valverde (P ARI)
157 Seven Aces Joel Zumaya (P DET)
158 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Josh Willingham (OF FLA)
159 Seabrook Bulldogs Hank Blalock (3B TEX)
160 P10-DG--Gamers Aubrey Huff (1B BAL)

Round 17
161 P10-DG--Gamers Alex Gordon (3B KC)
162 Seabrook Bulldogs Mike Cameron (OF SD)
163 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Andy Pettitte (P NYY)
164 Seven Aces Johnny Estrada (C MIL)
165 Power Alley Bronson Arroyo (P CIN)
166 Foster Doodle Eric Chavez (3B OAK)
167 Win. Or Die Trying, Craig Monroe (OF DET)
168 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Nomar Garciaparra (1B LA)
169 #13 Bob Wickman (P ATL)
170 Evil Empire 2 Mike Mussina (P NYY)

Round 18
171 Evil Empire 2 Adrian Beltre (3B SEA)
172 #13 Frank Thomas (U TOR)
173 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Jason Varitek (C BOS)
174 Win. Or Die Trying, Morgan Ensberg (3B HOU)
175 Foster Doodle Josh Johnson (P FLA)
176 Power Alley Mark Prior (P CHC)
177 Seven Aces John Maine (P NYM)
178 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Ryan P. Freel (OF CIN)
179 Seabrook Bulldogs Eric Byrnes (OF ARI)
180 P10-DG--Gamers Jeff Kent (2B LA)

Round 19 181 P10-DG--Gamers Jeremy Hermida (OF FLA)
182 Seabrook Bulldogs Octavio Dotel (P KC)
183 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Javier Vazquez (P CHW)
184 Seven Aces Carlos Quentin (OF ARI)
185 Power Alley Ken Griffey (OF CIN)
186 Foster Doodle Joel Pineiro (P BOS)
187 Win. Or Die Trying, Brad Penny (P LA)
188 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Chien-Ming Wang (P NYY)
189 #13 Chuck H. James (P ATL)
190 Evil Empire 2 Ronny Paulino (C PIT)

Round 20
191 Evil Empire 2 Derek Lowe (P LA)
192 #13 Bengie Molina (C SF)
193 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Chris B. Young (OF ARI)
194 Win. Or Die Trying, Rod Barajas (C PHI)
195 Foster Doodle Gerald Laird (C TEX)
196 Power Alley Salomon Torres (P PIT)
197 Seven Aces Luke Scott (OF HOU)
198 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Joe Crede (3B CHW)
199 Seabrook Bulldogs Paul Lo Duca (C NYM)
200 P10-DG--Gamers Ryan Dempster (P CHC)

Round 21
201 P10-DG--Gamers Jeremy Sowers (P CLE)
202 Seabrook Bulldogs Kevin Millwood (P TEX)
203 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Chad Billingsley (P LA)
204 Seven Aces Akinori Otsuka (P TEX)
205 Power Alley Kelvim Escobar (P ANA)
206 Foster Doodle Boof Bonser (P MIN)
207 Win. Or Die Trying, Mark Buehrle (P CHW)
208 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Stephen O. Drew (SS ARI)
209 #13 Roger Clemens (P HOU)
210 Evil Empire 2 Willy Taveras (OF COL)

Round 22
211 Evil Empire 2 Kerry Wood (P CHC)
212 #13 Jose A. Contreras (P CHW)
213 Tractors, Rakes and Hoes II Jason Jennings (P HOU)
214 Win. Or Die Trying, Conor Jackson (1B ARI)
215 Foster Doodle Freddy Sanchez (3B PIT)
216 Power Alley Jason Kendall (C OAK)
217 Seven Aces Edwin Encarnacion (3B CIN)
218 Brick n' Ivy Killaz Taylor Tankersley (P FLA)
219 Seabrook Bulldogs Joe Borowski (P CLE)
220 P10-DG--Gamers Cliff Lee (P CLE)

FADERPROOF
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Nice team, Slap, how much are you banking on Rich Harden staying healthy?

If he remains healthy, it's a killer team.

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Nice team, Slap, how much are you banking on Rich Harden staying healthy?

If he remains healthy, it's a killer team.

Not banking on him, just want to have him on a couple teams the season he finally makes 30 starts. I still need to move a bat or two for another top line SP.

I landed Johan Santana with the ninth pick in my draft last night.......!Booya!

I also have Miggy and Atkins kind of logjammed at third base on that team. I just couldn't resist the absurd value of drafting Atkins at 5/49.

I've just struck a deal to package Miggy, IRod and FCordero for Mauer and Nathan.

I think that's a strong trade for both sides, but I get two superstars and only give up one. Can't pass that up.

Jens1893
02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Good luck, Slappy. Maybe managing a team would help me keep my interest during the season, but it just sounds insanely complex.

Clockwork Orange
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Good luck, Slappy. Maybe managing a team would help me keep my interest during the season, but it just sounds insanely complex.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Go for it, man. :thumbs:

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words.......:thumbsup:

You can make it as easy or as complicated as you like. There are formats to fit every individual interest level.

SoCalBronco
02-18-2007, 07:29 PM
It will be bittersweet for me to see Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run in a Blue Jay uniform, but it will still be a very exciting and gratifying moment for me nonetheless. I just wish him and Ken Williams would have resolved their differences so that he could come home where he belongs.

OrangeShadow
02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Im more excited to see papelbon and beckett pitch than daisuke. I want to see what pap can do in a full game and im curious to see if beckett will actually listen to varitek.

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Beckett is in a Catch-22. If he throws too many breaking balls, he gets blisters and goes on the DL. If he relies on his fastball too much, he makes all his starts, but he's responsible for more homers than Victor Conte.

Clockwork Orange
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
How come there's never been an OM roto league? Not enough interested parties? No one ever organized one?

Just curious. It seems like it'd be a good time, even if it was just a measley gold league that peons like me play in. ;D

-Slap-
02-18-2007, 09:04 PM
How come there's never been an OM roto league? Not enough interested parties? No one ever organized one?

Just curious. It seems like it'd be a good time, even if it was just a measley gold league that peons like me play in. ;D

I think people have tried to get them off the ground, but I'm too jaded to play unless there's money involved.

Also, most people prefer the head-to-head format and I like the marathon.

OrangeShadow
02-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Beckett is in a Catch-22. If he throws too many breaking balls, he gets blisters and goes on the DL. If he relies on his fastball too much, he makes all his starts, but he's responsible for more homers than Victor Conte.

I dont know if its that cut and dry. If you look at his numbers split up between halfs, the first half of the season he allowed over 2 HRS/9 innings. During the second half only .95 while pitching only around 13 or 14 more innings in the first half. He just needs to learn to trust varitek. Pitchers are so set in their ways sometimes, sure they hear how good tek is with pitchers but its like they want to find out for themselves, i think beckett has.

Jens1893
02-18-2007, 09:35 PM

what is a gold league ... or what kind of leagues are there and whats the difference?

Clockwork Orange
02-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Bump for the beginning of spring training. :)

Clockwork Orange
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
what is a gold league ... or what kind of leagues are there and whats the difference?

There are different leagues at different prices on cbssportsline.com. Gold leagues are the lowest level of pay leagues ($30) with Platinum ($100) and Diamond ($250) being the higher levels.

Gold leagues are for noobs like me. Multiple Platinum & Diamond leagues are for obssessive types. ;D

Taco John
02-20-2007, 07:57 PM

We did an autodraft head-to-head league last year... no money involved.

1st place - WAB's Mariners

WABronco
02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
We did an autodraft head-to-head league last year... no money involved.

1st place - WAB's Mariners

DAT'S RIGHT!

Rookie Champ! WOOO!

Clockwork Orange
02-21-2007, 12:47 AM
DAT'S RIGHT!

Rookie Champ! WOOO!

Hope I've got the same beginner's luck this year. :thumbs:

Hogan11
02-21-2007, 01:43 AM
There's a new power on the rise....mark my words :D
http://re3.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/2922452856

Clockwork Orange
02-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Hawpe looks to improve vs. lefties (http://test.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5295715)

Tucson - Of all the reasons why the Rockies believe their offense will go from acoustic to electric, the most obvious to the naked eye is Brad Hawpe.

While Willy Taveras provides a stolen-base threat and rookies Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta inject intrigue, Hawpe brings thunder. He's the one player in the Rockies lineup capable of ascending to all-star status with slight improvement.

In his first full season as a starter last year, he hit .292 with 22 home runs and 84 RBIs.

However, there's an underlying concern: Can Hawpe, with his physical, high-effort swing, hit left-handers well enough to develop into this season's Matt Holliday?

"If I didn't think that I could take the next step and last year was the best I could do, then I would just shut it down," Hawpe said. "My goal is to become one of the elite outfielders in the National League. Holliday moved toward that last year. It's time for me to come join him."

One statistic distinguished Holliday from Hawpe. Holliday finished with 602 at-bats, compared to 499 for Hawpe. The difference was traced to Hawpe's irregular appearances against left-handed pitchers, who held him to a .232 average in 69 at-bats.

Right-handed hitting Jeff Baker's spectacular September provides an interesting alternative against tough left-handers. Manager Clint Hurdle, though, said it's premature to typecast Hawpe, who believes Baker's presence will make Hawpe better.

"We are going to find Baker at-bats, but we want to give Brad every opportunity to take that next step," Hurdle said. "If he hits 10 points higher and takes a small step in every area, he's closing on .300 with 30 home runs and 100 RBIs. That's not hoping. That's factual. I think Brad can be a very special player."

Hawpe is more of a traditional power hitter. He has a big swing with many parts that relies heavily on timing. When in a groove, Hawpe sizzles, like last April when he batted .362. When out of sync, he sinks, as he did last July when he went homerless.

Hitting instructor Alan Cockrell recognizes Hawpe's hot-and-cold nature, stressing the importance of quality outs when Hawpe is grinding through a rough patch.

The inability to make consistent contact doomed Hawpe with runners in scoring position for much of the season (he was hitting .225 before his final 10 at-bats in those situations).

"A lot of it was learning and growing up. I had a really tough stretch there for about six weeks (right after the all-star break). I wasn't there offensively like I was before and that was compounded with runners on base," Hawpe said. "The guys in front of me were getting on, and I couldn't put the barrel on the ball and drive it to the middle of the field."

Hawpe, 27, has never lacked confidence. He's been an elite performer at every level dating from high school Legion ball to LSU to the minor leagues. He has made the successful transition from college first baseman to a strong-armed outfielder - his 26 assists over the past two seasons are the most in the big leagues.

Determined to carry a bigger load, Hawpe reported to camp larger. He said he weighs about 218 pounds - up 8 from a year ago - but maintained his flexibility by training with the TCU track team for the second consecutive offseason.

"I was starting to fatigue at the end of last season," Hawpe said. "I feel good at this weight, I am still mobile."

For Hawpe to move upward, he must produce more consistent swings. The nature of his hack - hands back, pronounced leg kick - makes him vulnerable to lefties. But more at-bats against them, explained Todd Helton, could solve that.

"If you're not playing every day, you get thrown straight out of your rhythm. I have confidence he will (hit left-handers), and have monster numbers," Helton said. "I don't understand why he doesn't get the respect he should."

If he achieves his goal, advancing from starter to all-star on a winning team, there will be no confusion. Only a genuine right turn.

Left-handed compliment
For right fielder Brad Hawpe to become an all-star, an honor for which he was considered last season by National League manager Phil Garner, he must hit left-handers. A look at the numbers:

2006 Avg. AB HR RBIs

vs. LHP .232 69 3 10

vs. RHP .302 430 19 74

Career Avg. AB HR RBIs

vs. LHP .227 110 4 15

vs. RHP .284 799 30 125

Billy Clyde Puckett
02-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Hawpe has one of the stongest arms in the league. Would be nice to see him develop that consistency at the plate.

TexanBob
02-25-2007, 07:28 PM
As a Pirates fan, I'm excited by the moves the team made and think they can actually compete this year in the NL Central barring injury.

Pirates may actually have the best rotation in the NL Central this year. It may not be enough to overcome their deficiencies elsewhere though.

OrangeShadow
02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
WOOT first spring training game wed.!!!!!!

TexanBob
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM

As an Astros fan, here's what I think after watching them last season.

Buchholz has good pitches and can be surprisingly effective when he stops worrying about pitching to spots. He has a good curve and a live fastball. What he really needs is good health and the confidence that he can get good hitters out. I'm not sure where he'll find that at Coors.

Hirsh is a big guy, much like Scott Elarton, but he does not throw as hard as you'd expect for someone so big. Control is his specialty and I think he had 2-3 starter written all over him before the trade. I think Coors will mess with him big time, just like it did with Kile and Hampton. If he learns to handle it, he could be good but I'm afraid pitching regularly at Coors may set him back years.

BTW, I read that MLB set down rules this off-season about the conditions in which game balls are stored so say "good bye" to humidor balls that gave pitchers in Denver a fair chance. If you own a fantasy team, sign up those Rockie hitters and get rid of those Rockie pitchers. The days of 18-15 games will be back in Denver.

Taco John
02-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Im more excited to see papelbon and beckett pitch than daisuke. I want to see what pap can do in a full game and im curious to see if beckett will actually listen to varitek.

Beckett = Bust

DBroncos4life
02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Beckett = Bust

News: According to MLB.com, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell is pleased with the work of Josh Beckett early in camp. "I think the strength in which Josh Beckett has gone through his bullpens in the early going here has been very impressive," said Farrell. "The location of his fastball has been consistently down in the zone. He's got a pretty good understanding and a pretty good feel. He comes in pretty much with his delivery in check."

Pendejo
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Beckett = Bust

Interesting. Explain how a former World Series MVP is a bust.

OrangeShadow
02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
The kid just needs to listen to tek more and locate his pitches. I think he'll win another 17-20 games this year and have an era around 3.

OrangeShadow
02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Interesting. Explain how a former World Series MVP is a bust.

much less a 26 year old who just pitched in his first year in the AL.

elsid13
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Beckett will be fine this year, especial now that he had a full season in AL and won't get so worked up trying to impress everyone.

minibronco
02-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Is there gonna be an official Fantasy Baseball Help Thread? :/

Clockwork Orange
02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Is there gonna be an official Fantasy Baseball Help Thread? :/

Feel free to ask any and all fantasy baseball questions here. We've got a couple of resident experts who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

DBroncos4life
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
draft Alex Gordon!!!!!

OrangeShadow
02-25-2007, 09:44 PM
one stat that showed me beckett started to get it last year

first half HRs/9 innings 2+
second half-.95

he pitched a lot better than most people think and i think he'll be fine.

Bronco LB 59
02-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Beckett's strikeout rate has declined in three consecutive seasons. That is what worries me. I like the more dominant Beckett of the past, but that version could never stay healthy. The 2006 version finally stayed healthy for the duration of a season, but he was mediocre and less overpowering.

I agree with -Slap-, Beckett is a Catch-22. Can he be his dominant self again AND last through an entire season?

DBroncos4life
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Beckett's strikeout rate has declined in three consecutive seasons. That is what worries me. I like the more dominant Beckett of the past, but that version could never stay healthy. The 2006 version finally stayed healthy for the duration of a season, but he was mediocre and less overpowering.

I agree with -Slap-, Beckett is a Catch-22. Can he be his dominant self again AND last through an entire season?

I hope so, I traded Lackey for him. What Im hoping is he starts off really hot and I can move him for another talented pitcher.

Pendejo
02-25-2007, 10:14 PM

It probably helped him earlier in his career pitching in a a pretty big park in Florida.

There are a lot of pitchers who are dominant when healthy. Our own Jake Peavy is one. He gutted out a pretty good second half last year...finishing 1 K short of tying for his second strikeout title.

The point of my previous post was that it's pretty silly to call a pitcher who was a World Series MVP...a bust. If it's possible...I hope the Madres have a World Series MVP/bust this season.

Killericon
02-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Go Blue Jays!

Clockwork Orange
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
*Bump* on the eve of spring training games. :)

WABronco
02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
GMJ and his new 50 mil contract gets named in a roid investigation (HMMMMM). Screw the Angels.

Clockwork Orange
02-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Rockies hope hitters are blasts from the past. (http://test.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5318526)

Tucson - When outfielder Dave Roberts became a free agent last winter, he talked personally with manager Clint Hurdle. The Rockies never came close on the money, but as Roberts retired to his new San Francisco Giants clubhouse he was asked why he considered Colorado in the first place.

"Atkins, Holliday, Helton, Hawpe," Roberts said without hesitation. "If you get on base, those guys are going to knock you in."

Entering today's Cactus League opener against the Chicago White Sox, the heart of the Rockies' lineup - Garrett Atkins, Matt Holliday, Todd Helton and Brad Hawpe - has quietly evolved from unproven to undesirable for opposing pitchers. The Nos. 3-6 Colorado hitters have 30-home run, 100-RBI seasons on their résumés or the potential to reach that benchmark.

"Honestly, I don't like pitching against them," San Diego Padres starter Chris Young said. "You are talking about guys who have a good approach who can really hurt you."

The Rockies are counting on a ramped-up, wide-open offense to steer them to their first winning season since 2000. They promise to be more aggressive on the bases, bunt less often - "We don't need to give away outs," Hawpe said - and deliver more haymakers.

The Rockies scored only 813 runs last season, well shy of their goal of 900, and hit just 157 home runs, including a franchise-worst 75 at Coors Field. But reel off the names of Atkins, Holliday, Helton and Hawpe and the optimism is startling in spring camp.

"It's as good as we have had since the days of Galarraga, Bichette, Burks and Walker," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "This group has a chance to have productive power."

Owner Dick Monfort inched one step further, making a comparison unimaginable three years ago when the franchise launched a full-blown youth movement.

"Could it be the Blake Street Bombers again?" he wondered. "I hope so."

The production of the foursome is paramount, because most scouts believe the Rockies will have to outhit teams to win due to questions about their starting rotation.

Atkins and Holliday added teeth to the lineup with breakthrough seasons a year ago. Only reigning MVP Ryan Howard had more RBIs than Atkins over the final four months (102 to 94). Atkins led the NL with 102 hits after the all-star break, among them 18 of his 29 home runs.

Holliday made his first all-star team and blasted 34 home runs, second-best ever by a Rockies homegrown player.

"I don't think it's premature to call those two elite players," Padres catcher Josh Bard said. "They better back up the jumbo jet to pay them, because they are only going to get better."

Holliday believes the threat of power can be as important as real power, influencing how the team is pitched and defended. Atkins said the Rockies' group is capable of maximizing home-field advantage, even if Coors Field doesn't play like the pinball machine it reverted to last September.

"I wouldn't mind that, but nobody wants to play 3 1/2-hour games all season," Atkins said. "We just have to be more consistent, instead of winning 10-0, then getting shut out the next night."

Central to the lineup living up to its potential is Helton's recovery. He has bulked up to 230 pounds - "I have never seen him stronger or more focused," Hurdle said - and is bent on rebounding after hitting just 35 total home runs the past two seasons.

Once the focus on the team, he's now just another critical component to a lineup that could be a blast from the past.

"You pretty much know what you are going to get from Atkins and Holliday," Helton said. "And you have guys now who can produce runs. The power is part of that, but it's all about producing runs."

Clockwork Orange
02-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Jim Armstrong tossed this into his column. Thought it was pretty funny.

Cam Hutchinson of the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, on Major League Baseball's switch to synthetic caps from the old wool ones: "Hats are available in small, medium, large, extra large, XXL and Barry Bonds."

:laugh:

Bronco LB 59
03-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Just got back from Cactus League Spring Training, here are some photographs I took:

Mariners GM Bill Bavasi speaking at a special Q and A session setup by Baseball Prospectus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01515.jpg

Padres GM Kevin Towers at the same event:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01518.jpg

Bronco LB 59
03-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Contract year for Ichiro and he's probably happy that Daisuke has taken some of the attention off him

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01529.jpg

Bronco LB 59
03-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Mike Cameron

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01541.jpg

The Big Sexy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01534.jpg

DBroncos4life
03-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Question for you guys. Im in a 8 team h2h keeper league and Im the only one not keeping a 1st basemen. I traded Justin M for A-Rod and I had Jeter on my roster for a keeper already. My problem is the top guys out there will be Giambi, Helton, Thome, and Konerko. I believe Giambi finished with the most points out of that group in our league but I don't really want that many Yankee's on my team. I have the second overall pick and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to land Mauer. That makes my lineup look like this:

C- Mauer
SS-Jeter
3rd-A-Rod
OF-Manny
OF-Dunn
OF-Hunter

I know that I need to replace Hunter and Dunn scares me. When would you guys think I should go after a 1st basemen? 5th round 6th round or sooner? I'm hoping to land my 2nd basemen in the second round. Thoughts?

Bronco LB 59
03-05-2007, 03:27 AM
The new $80 million dollar man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01651.jpg

Sammy homered off a hanging curveball off Luke Hudson Sunday afternoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01656.jpg

2007 American League Rookie of the Year??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/DSC01663.jpg

Clockwork Orange
03-05-2007, 03:28 AM
I drafted my 2nd mixed 5x5 team this afternoon. I had the 10th pick and I was pretty pleased with the results.

C Jorge Posada
C David Ross
1B Derrek Lee
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Rafael Furcal
3B Miguel Cabrera
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Vernon Wells
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chone Figgins
OF Carlos Quentin
U Prince Fielder
U Conor Jackson

SP Scott Kazmir
SP John Smoltz
SP Rich Harden
SP Rich Hill
SP Jeff Francis
RP Brad Lidge
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Doug Jones
RP Joel Zumaya

DBroncos4life
03-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Alex Gordon! I want to draft him so bad. For those that have drafted does he get picked at all and if so is it late or what?

Clockwork Orange
03-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Alex Gordon! I want to draft him so bad. For those that have drafted does he get picked at all and if so is it late or what?

He went in the 19th round of my first draft and he went undrafted today.

DBroncos4life
03-05-2007, 03:41 AM
He went in the 19th round of my first draft and he went undrafted today.

cool I'll draft him in the third just to be safe, I mean he did go to NU after all. ROFL! I might take him earlier though if I fill my needs just to make sure I get him, only because its a keeper league.

Bronco LB 59
03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Question for you guys. Im in a 8 team h2h keeper league and Im the only one not keeping a 1st basemen. I traded Justin M for A-Rod and I had Jeter on my roster for a keeper already. My problem is the top guys out there will be Giambi, Helton, Thome, and Konerko. I believe Giambi finished with the most points out of that group in our league but I don't really want that many Yankee's on my team. I have the second overall pick and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to land Mauer. That makes my lineup look like this:

C- Mauer
SS-Jeter
3rd-A-Rod
OF-Manny
OF-Dunn
OF-Hunter

I know that I need to replace Hunter and Dunn scares me. When would you guys think I should go after a 1st basemen? 5th round 6th round or sooner? I'm hoping to land my 2nd basemen in the second round. Thoughts?

Why are you keeping Hunter?

You don't need to take a 1B immediately. If everybody is keeping a 1B, their values will fall because managers typically don't like filling up their utitlity slot when they have up-the-middle holes. Giambi and Thome have mileage-health related issues, let them fall to you another round. Get Helton at a bargain after his past two seasons. Konerko is a good pick there, but it also depends on who else is available. You can always settle for Prince Fielder four rounds later, too.

Second base is a thin position, should be addressed early but which ones are being kept?

DBroncos4life
03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Why are you keeping Hunter?

You don't need to take a 1B immediately. If everybody is keeping a 1B, their values will fall because managers typically don't like filling up their utitlity slot when they have up-the-middle holes. Giambi and Thome have mileage-health related issues, let them fall to you another round. Get Helton at a bargain after his past two seasons. Konerko is a good pick there, but it also depends on who else is available. You can always settle for Prince Fielder four rounds later, too.

Second base is a thin position, should be addressed early but which ones are being kept?

I'm keeping Hunter because it wasn't my team. I felt that he was the best player on that team other then the ones I traded away and kept already. It was between him and Piere. It came down to Hunter being in a contract year, coming off his best year HR wise and how the Twins now have more talent around him. As for the 2nd only Utley is being kept I believe. I'll have the 7th pick in the second round though. I know that 2nd is weak but so is the catcher position thats why I have Mauer targeted.

-Slap-
03-05-2007, 05:45 AM
I drafted my 2nd mixed 5x5 team this afternoon. I had the 10th pick and I was pretty pleased with the results.

C Jorge Posada
C David Ross
1B Derrek Lee
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Rafael Furcal
3B Miguel Cabrera
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Vernon Wells
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chone Figgins
OF Carlos Quentin
U Prince Fielder
U Conor Jackson

SP Scott Kazmir
SP John Smoltz
SP Rich Harden
SP Rich Hill
SP Jeff Francis
RP Brad Lidge
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Doug Jones
RP Joel Zumaya

That's how its done, people. Dominant offense with tons of speed and power, solid rotation and bullpen.

:thumbsup:

Clockwork Orange
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5390506

Tucson - As starters go, Taylor Buchholz profiles as an effective reliever.

After his performance in the Rockies' 7-4 win Thursday over the White Sox, Buchholz talked about the possibility of working out of the bullpen, his likely role with the Rockies this season.

"I have pretty much been a starter, but I am fine either way," said Buchholz, who is out of minor-league options. "It feels the same."

With Buchholz's bullpen spot close to being secure, the only pitching spots remaining are the fifth starter's role and a single relief spot open for Matt Herges, Dave Veres, Danny Graves or Denny Bautista.

That explains why the Rockies planned to let the Atlanta Braves know Byung-Hyun Kim and Josh Fogg are available in a trade. Braves' starter Mike Hampton strained his left oblique muscle and is out until at least May, leaving Atlanta with a potential void.

A Braves' official predicted his team would look from within first and seemed lukewarm to Fogg and Kim. The Rockies won't consider moving Kim to the bullpen, meaning he makes the team as a starter or not as all.

With all signs pointing toward Jason Hirsh sticking in the rotation, Brian Lawrence could insert himself into the fifth-starter derby Saturday. He faces the White Sox and then will attempt to pitch on three days' rest like the rest of the starters. The Rockies have remained cautious with Lawrence and are prepared for him to begin the season on the disabled list if necessary to build up arm strength.

"I didn't throw really hard before, so I only have a little ways to go," said Lawrence, who topped out at 82 mph in his last outing, about 3 mph off his normal velocity.

Veres worked a scoreless inning Thursday, matching Herges' outing the previous day. Graves, who was out for the first week with a strained oblique, threw 13 balls in his first 16 pitches before escaping with only one run allowed in the fourth inning Thursday.

"It felt like old times. I got loose in 10 pitches. It's nice to pitch against the big boys (Tadahito Iguchi, Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye)," Veres said. "They didn't swing at my splitter, but I was able to get outs with my sinker."

Graves said he felt fine physically, "but I expected to give up hits, not walks. I had no command."

TexanBob
03-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I'll Be Watching Less Baseball This Year

...since MLBEI is going to DirectTV for the next seven years. They put a poison pill in the deal they knew cable carriers couldn't/wouldn't do, all so they could deny they were acting monopolistic like NFL Network is doing. But, make no mistake, they're cutting out part of their fan base with this move.

-Slap-
03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Results of my NL Only draft from last week. 5X5 Roto. CBSSportsline Platinum league. Ten teams, I picked eighth.

I named this team 755.

1/8 Miguel M. Cabrera (3B FLA)

2/13 Matt Holliday (OF COL)

3/28 Prince Fielder (1B MIL)

4/33 Trevor Hoffman (P SD)

5/48 Russell Martin (C LA)

6/53 Cole Hamels (P PHI)

7/68 Brad Lidge (P HOU)

8/73 Carlos Quentin (OF ARI)

9/88 Willy Taveras (OF COL)

10/93 Dave Bush (P MIL)

11/108 Rich Hill (P CHC)

12/113 Chris Burke (2B/OF HOU)

13/128 Ronny Paulino (C PIT)

14/133 Matt Murton (OF CHC)

15/148 Scott Linebrink (P SD)

16/153 Dan Wheeler (P HOU)

17/168 Corey C. Hart (OF MIL)

18/173 Omar Vizquel (SS SF)

19/188 Kelly Johnson (2B ATL)

20/193 Rafael Soriano (P ATL)

21/208 Matt D. Capps (P PIT)

22/213 Matt Diaz (OF ATL)

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8531/aaronzp0.jpg

WABronco
03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Rich Hill pretty much won me a championship last year.

Soriano's a great, great sleeper pick too. He has legit health concerns, but if he's healthy he's a much better closer option than Wickman. I'd love to see him get a shot in Atlanta, but he's got two guys to go through...

-Slap-
03-09-2007, 10:27 PM
AL Only draft. Same format, I picked tenth this time.

I named this team 714.

1/10 Derek Jeter (SS NYY)

2/11 Justin Morneau (1B MIN)

3/30 Robinson Cano (2B NYY)

4/31 Felix Hernandez (P SEA)

5/50 Nick Swisher (OF OAK)

6/51 John Lackey (P ANA)

7/70 Nick Markakis (OF BAL)

8/71 Octavio Dotel (P KC)

9/90 Alex Gordon (3B KC)

10/91 Coco Crisp (OF BOS)

11/110 Jason Kendall (C OAK)

12/111 Joel Zumaya (P DET)

13/130 Reed Johnson (OF TOR)

14/131 Akinori Otsuka (P TEX)

15/150 Ryan Garko (1B CLE)

16/151 Emil Brown (OF KC)

17/170 Gil Meche (P KC)

18/171 Phil Hughes (P NYY)

19/190 Casey Kotchman (1B ANA)

20/191 John Buck (C KC)

21/210 Cha Seung Baek (P SEA)

22/211 Craig Hansen (P BOS)

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6610/sultan3cw1.png

-Slap-
03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Rich Hill pretty much won me a championship last year.

Soriano's a great, great sleeper pick too. He has legit health concerns, but if he's healthy he's a much better closer option than Wickman. I'd love to see him get a shot in Atlanta, but he's got two guys to go through...

What do you think about Cha Seung Baek?

Most of the SP in Seattle are kind of weak-willed veterans. I really wish they would give this kid a chance in the rotation.

DBroncos4life
03-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Zach Duke is pitching well, Bedard is too, and so is Santana (not the great one) Not only that Arroyo K'd three in his first real outing. All four of them are fighting for my last keeper spot.

WABronco
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
What do you think about Cha Seung Baek?

Most of the SP in Seattle are kind of weak-willed veterans. I really wish they would give this kid a chance in the rotation.

He's a consistent 4/5 starter. He's a command pitcher because of his average stuff, but he's shown that he can hold down the fort for 5 or 6 innings when given a lead.

I'm not up to snuff as I usually am, but he may be on the outside looking in, in terms of the rotation.

elsid13
03-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Tuned out
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApDmiLkGAg2E3OJE2ng2hT8RvLYF?slug=dw-mlbtv030907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

(ELSID _ F'ing morons run this game)

Besides being hell bent on infuriating its best fans and having less people watch its games, Major League Baseball would also prefer if you stop calling to complain. If the FCC and Sen. John Kerry would stop threatening to investigate them, that would be good too.

Other than that, it’s full speed ahead for MLB, which appears to have offered a virtually impossible to complete proposal (and a tight deadline to do it) to the consortium of cable and satellite providers that distribute the Extra Innings package to die-hard and displaced baseball fans.

If that option isn’t met by March 31, then DirecTV will get exclusive rights to Extra Innings and all the hundreds of thousands of fans that Bud Selig called “ridiculous” two weeks ago will be out of luck when it comes to watching out of market games.

As long as they stop complaining to MLB President Bob DuPuy, no one in New York seems to care what happens with them.

“I hope that those fans who have been directing their concerns to us over the last several weeks will now encourage their cable carriers to in fact enlist for this package,” DuPuy told the Associated Press.

Actually, DuPuy is just trying a weak public relations campaign. He must consider his customers morons if he thinks they are falling for his attempt to shift the blame for this debacle off MLB and onto cable providers who almost certainly will fail to make a deal that was designed to fail in the first place.

The nearly completed exclusivity would cut the availability of Extra Innings from 82 percent of U.S. households to 16 percent. The reason why MLB would do this is far more confusing than the regular baseball fan should have to try to figure out.

That person is someone from, let’s say, Cleveland, who now lives in Atlanta but still wants to watch his Indians so he can enjoy an emotional attachment to his father, his sister and his boys back home. He is gladly willing to shell out $179.95 to do so.

Only now, he won’t be able to, unless he switches to DirecTV.

There is virtually no chance the current consortium of cable and satellite providers (InDemand) can maintain access based on baseball’s smoke-screen offer.

It isn’t just money – the difference between the offers was less than $1 million per year, per team. It mostly hinges on clearing prime space on cable systems for The Baseball Channel, which isn’t scheduled to launch until 2009.

If that means a guaranteed spot on first-tier basic cable, then forget it. The Baseball Channel promises to draw even more anemic ratings than the NFL Network since baseball isn’t even as popular as football. It would be ludicrous to bump a higher-rated channel in favor of one that isn’t yet created and promises to do far worse.

Robert Jacobson, president of InDemand, said in a statement the “conditions for carriage that MLB and DirecTV designed (will) be impossible … to meet.”

The only other hope is intervention by the federal government. But don’t count on Congress telling 30 billionaires they can’t do something. Plus, baseball will probably have better luck confusing politicians with this “it’s the cable operators' fault” smoke screen. “This should help enormously in that area,” Selig said. Yeah, no kidding.

Regardless, it seems that MLB has the right to freeze out and anger its customers if it wants. This is the Land of the Free and MLB is free to be arrogant, duplicitous and money-hungry if it so chooses.

And it so chooses.

Earlier this month Selig, whose customer-relations skills were clearly honed during his days as a used car dealer, called fan protests about the rumored deal “ridiculous” and just “a slight controversy, in some places.” Then Thursday DuPuy asked fans to stop complaining to his office and instead tell it to those helpful folks at the cable company.

I swear, long before steroids or misbehaving athletes kill sports, these supposed genius businessmen who care about dollars but have no sense will have ruined it.

Last year over half a million people subscribed to Extra Innings and MLB just sold them out for $2 a head, per team per year. So there’s the price of fan loyalty, a small Coke at the stadium. The league is pushing the “television” package on its website but it’s laughable to suggest watching a game on a computer equates with television.

So, essentially, it looks like DirecTV or nothing for Extra Innings viewers.

What Selig can’t understand is that while there are plenty of people out there who take television very seriously and are willing to compare and switch providers based on slight improvements, there are exponentially more who don’t and won’t.

They will always stick with what they have either out of loyalty, convenience or laziness. Maybe their wife and kids prefer the current system. Maybe they can’t afford a whole new package.

Maybe they are among the five percent of households that can’t use DirecTV at all, or the others where the reception is awful. Or they think a dish is ugly. Or maybe they live in an apartment and while, sure, there is a federal law allowing them to install something on the roof, this being the real world their landlord is against such a practice. And he can make life miserable.

Then there are the young or transient, who move every year or so and just aren’t going to invest in satellite.

There are a million reasons why they aren’t switching and a million more why they shouldn’t have to.

Yet baseball is not just trying to make them, Selig and DuPuy are saying they don’t care about them, their concerns or their past loyalty.

This is what happens when you listen to the suits and not the fans because a spreadsheet can’t measure passion. This is what happens when your commissioner likes to play the part of dopey every man, but is actually just dopey and out of touch like the rest of the rich guys.

MLB is selling its fans out for the price of a utility infielder, which is pretty stupid. Although not as stupid as Selig and DuPuy think you are.

Clockwork Orange
03-11-2007, 05:53 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5413826

Tucson - Troy Tulowitzki's big scare turned out to be a false alarm.

The Rockies' rookie shortstop found out this morning that he did not suffer any fractures or major damage Saturday after getting hit just above the right wrist by a fastball thrown by the Padres' Doug Brocail. X-rays showed that Tulowitzki suffered only a bad bruise.

"I'm pretty much day-to-day, and tomorrow I'll takes some throws and see where I am," Tulowitzki said. "Tomorrow will be a big day for me, taking some swings in the cage."

Tulowitzki said he wasn't sure how long it would be before he was back playing.

"We'll see how it goes," he said. "Then (the Rockies) will be making those decisions."

The club's 22-year-old prospect went down during the fifth inning of a split-squad game in Peoria, Ariz. He said it was a painful, foreboding moment.

"I was scared," he said. "Supposedly there is a nerve that runs through to your two fingers, and both my pinky and ring finger were very numb. I didn't have feeling in them for quite some time, so I was very nervous. And things started coming to my mind, but as I calmed down, things started coming back into place."
----------

A collective sigh of relief goes up from Rockies fans.

Clockwork Orange
03-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Drafted my 3rd and final mixed 5x5 team tonight. Had to pick from the dreaded 5th spot, but I think it turned out alright.

C Jorge Posada
C Ronny Paulino
1B Derrek Lee
2B Robinson Cano
SS Michael Young
3B Alex Rodriguez
OF Grady Sizemore
OF Carlos Lee
OF Rocco Baldelli
OF Nick Markakis
OF Carlos Quentin
U Prince Fielder
U Mark Teahen

SP Scott Kazmir
SP CC Sabathia
SP Chris Capuano
SP Rich Hill
SP Jeff Francis
RP JJ Putz
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Eric Gagne
RP Akinori Otsuka

Got sniped way too much. Guys I wanted came off the board two picks ahead of me more times than I care to think about. :moody:

Clockwork Orange
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM
I swear, I think I'm about to set some kind of record for bull**** trade offers received before a season even starts. I've been sent about ten trade offers in just over a week in one league and none of them even remotely close to anything I'd accept. Take a look at the two beauties I got today.

One guy offered me Joe Crede, Adam Dunn & Justin Verlander for Miguel Cabrera & Johnny Damon. Another guy offered me Greg Maddux & Brian Giles for Johnny Damon.

:nono: :moody:

Those are about on par with the other offers I've received. I want to strangle some of these people, I really do.

Sorry, just needed to vent. Carry on.

-Slap-
03-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Its easy to see why some organizations are dismal failures year after year. BJ Upton of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays would probably be starting full time already if he hadn't proven himself a certified butcher at shortstop. Unfortunately, he's shown to be a below average defensive third baseman as well. The Rays don't seem to want to let him concentrate on becoming proficient at either position.

In the first week of spring games, Upton played second base, third base, shortstop, center field and right field. Now the Jays figure his best chance to make the 25 man roster is as a super utility guy. If this kid sucks playing the same position every day, how bad will he suck when he's bouncing all over the field?

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4965/0809raysinside1yz9.jpg

Clockwork Orange
03-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Speaking of futile franchises, the Rockies released Javy Lopez today. His bat wasn't bad, but I guess he couldn't throw out my 87 year old grandmother if she was trying to steal second, so he's been given his walking papers.

Looks like Chris Iannetta will be the opening day catcher.

Taco John
03-19-2007, 01:10 AM
I drafted from the 5th spot today...

C Victor Martinez
1B Carlos Delgado
2B Jose Lopez
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B Joe Crede
OF Jason Bay
OF Carlos Beltran
OF Matt Holliday

Util David Ortiz
Util Prince Fielder
(we start two Utility guys)

SP Jeremy Bonderman
SP Danny Haren
SP Chris Young
RP BJ Ryan
RP Bob Wickman
P Jason Isringhausen
P Eric Bedard
P Brett Meyers

Bench Players

3B, OF Bill Hall
OF Carlos Quentin
SP Josh Johnson
3B Mark Teahan
SS Orlando Cabrera
P Matt Cain
C Mike Napoli

Jens1893
03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Boston is moving Papelbon back to the bullpen

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2808345

Clockwork Orange
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Boston is moving Papelbon back to the bullpen

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2808345

Great news for people who drafted him in the middle to later rounds.

-Slap-
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Great news for people who drafted him in the middle to later rounds.

He's going to have some limitations, though. He was still coming off the board in second tier closer range of most of my drafts as a starter anyway.

Quentin has a minor shoulder injury and they're talking like he'll miss the first week. That really sucks because he was tattooing the ball this spring.

Clockwork Orange
03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
He's going to have some limitations, though. He was still coming off the board in second tier closer range of most of my drafts as a starter anyway.

Quentin has a minor shoulder injury and they're talking like he'll miss the first week. That really sucks because he was tattooing the ball this spring.

I also saw that Rafael Furcal was carted off the field with an ankle injury today. That and the Quentin shoulder injury means two unfortunate hits on my best team. Dammit.

OrangeShadow
03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I was looking forward to pap starting but its nice to know that when that ninth inning comes you know the game is over

Taco John
03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Dammit, I missed Paps by a round. He'd make a nice pair with BJ on my roster. Set it and forget it.

Taco John
03-22-2007, 08:51 PM
AL Only draft. Same format, I picked tenth this time.

I named this team 714.

14/131 Akinori Otsuka (P TEX)

Looks like you've got about as much faith for Gagne to stay healthy as I do.

Otsuka will be a good closer for you if they handing him the 9th again.

MechanicalBull
03-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Where on avg is Barry Zito being drafted? On one side he is now in the NL but on the other he is tinkering with that new delivery.

phisig150
03-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Call your bookies. My boys in blue are taking it this year. 1988 redux. Go Dodgers. And what do your Rockies (Rookies?) have against Helton? He's probably the one Rockie I ever even remotely rooted for.

-Slap-
03-23-2007, 12:45 AM
In my last two roto drafts (ten team leagues), Zito came off the board in round eight (too high) and round 11 (about right).

Clockwork Orange
03-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Call your bookies. My boys in blue are taking it this year. 1988 redux. Go Dodgers. And what do your Rockies (Rookies?) have against Helton? He's probably the one Rockie I ever even remotely rooted for.

If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.

phisig150
03-23-2007, 03:07 AM
If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.
It's not a dream my friend. Nice mix of vets and upcoming talent. Deep starting pitching. Dodgers don't really have a big bat ala '88 (Gibson was decent powerwise but not exactly intimadating). Dodgers will, like in their best years rely on strong pitching and mauifacture runs the smart/hard way. I'm just trying to help my fellow Bronco fans make a little pocket change..

Clockwork Orange
03-26-2007, 03:49 AM
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070323&content_id=1856182&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

Several Rockies moves. Barmes sent to AAA which means that Tulowitzki will be the starting shortstop. Sullivan to AAA which means that Willy Tavares gets the nod in centerfield. The Byunger goes to the bullpen.

One week until the season starts. !Booya!

Clockwork Orange
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Gagne to start the season on the DL (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2817649)

Hope you all handcuffed him to Otsuka in your drafts. :)

Clockwork Orange
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Bump! 24 hours to the first pitch. !Booya!

Clockwork Orange
04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5455665,00.html

COLORADO SPRINGS - The Rockies spent the spring getting a glimpse of their new- look lineup.

They liked what they saw.

They have speed at the top with center fielder Willy Taveras and second baseman Kaz Matsui.

They have balanced run production in the middle with a 3- 4-5-6 alignment of right-handed-hitting Garrett Atkins, left- handed-hitting Todd Helton, right-handed-hitting Matt Holliday and left-handed-hitting Brad Hawpe.

And they have the new kids on the block, rookies Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta, who will hit 7-8 and show signs of providing some life at the bottom of the order, where the Rockies have struggled severely in recent years.

"It evolved at its own pace, but I think the guys embraced it," manager Clint Hurdle said. "It already has shown teeth. It was only spring training, but that is the only lab we have to use. It's where we can test things to see if they work."

This test was positive.

The Rockies did finish with a .301 Cactus League average, the sixth best in baseball. They were third in the majors in stolen bases, with 33, two back of the Mets and 21 fewer than the Angels. It was the fourth-highest spring stolen-base total in Rockies history, and their .733 success rate also was the fourth best. They were ninth in the majors in runs scored, with 175, but played a major league- fewest 28 games.

Now comes the challenge of carrying that offensive approach into the regular season, where Hurdle has vowed the Rockies will be more aggressive.

They haven't had 100 stolen bases in any of the past four seasons and haven't had a player steal more than 14 in any of those seasons.

"It's time to open up things a bit," Hurdle said.

The Rockies are ready.

They feel the left-right-left- right combo will provide for offensive explosions, feeding off the speed at the top of the lineup that can be disruptive to the opposition.

"I've never played on a team with that kind of speed, but I have played against teams that had two guys at the top like that, and I know how hard it is," Helton said. "I know the pressure it puts on the defense. When those kinds of guys get on base, you think they are going.

"The pitcher starts worrying about holding the runner and the catcher is trying everything he can to keep him from taking that extra base. It's like last year with (Rafael) Furcal and (Kenny) Lofton in Los Angeles. You were focused on trying to keep them off base."

In their first 14 years of existence, the Rockies have had only six players steal more than 30 bases in a season. Eric Young did it four times. Juan Pierre did it twice. Tom Goodwin, Larry Walker, Ellis Burks and Dante Bichette did it once apiece.

The most successful running team the Rockies had was in 1996, when they had that blend of speed and power and became the only team to surpass the 200 level in stolen bases and home runs in the same season.

Could the Rockies duplicate that this year?

"Let's see how things play out and see what happens," Hurdle said.

Brad Hawpe, for one, believes the presence of Taveras and Matsui will translate into bigger and better things all the way down the lineup.

"It gives us an extra out each inning when you have someone who can steal second base," Hawpe said. "You don't have to bunt him over. It gives you one more shot to pick up a run. Maybe it will be the difference in getting me up one more time or Holliday up one more time."

And of course there is Helton, who has moved back up into the middle of the lineup after finishing last season hitting fifth, where he was coupled with Hawpe, allowing opponents to bring in a left-handed pitcher to face both of them without hesitation.

"Atkins and Holliday had great years last year, but Helton is still the top dog," Hawpe said. "He's healthy and strong this year."

Plus, Holliday might be moved down a spot in the lineup, but he figures to benefit from the move.

"We've got a situation now where if the other team wants to bring in a left-hander to face Todd, Holliday's going to get a shot at him, too, if they want him to stay in and face me," Hawpe said. "That's good for me, because that gives me one more batter to watch him and focus in."

Clockwork Orange
04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Prince Fielder's already there and now the son of another former major leaguer will open the season on the Brewers roster.

Tony Gwynn Jr. makes Milwaukee's 25 man roster (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2821346)

Clockwork Orange
04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Play ball!! !Booya!

WABronco
04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa boyyyyyyyyy

-Slap-
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll tell you this, if I'm a guy like So Taguchi, who only gets off the bench a couple times a week, there's not a chance in hell 40 year old Moises Alou is going to take an extra base on me like that.

Clockwork Orange
04-01-2007, 10:43 PM
It may be more than a couple of weeks before we see Taguchi out there again after he drops a fly ball to put Jose Reyes on base.

-Slap-
04-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Tough night, eh?

Might be time to pick up Duncan. LaRussa might give him a chance against lefties now. Not like his defense is any better, though. So's game tonight is pretty much an average game in the field for Duncan.......:)

WABronco
04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Felix on opening day=8 IP, 3 hits, 2 BB, 0 R, 12 K

LOOK OUT AL

Clockwork Orange
04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Luckiest trade so far of the young roto season has to be me swapping Chone Figgins for King Felix.

Keep dealing, big man. :notworthy

Pendejo
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Luckiest trade so far of the young roto season has to be me swapping Chone Figgins for King Felix.

Keep dealing, big man. :notworthy

Holy cripes...I like Chone Figgins...but you pantsed the guy who made that trade. What was the person's rationale in making that deal? Were you privy?

Also...great avatar/message below it.

OrangeShadow
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
ugh today was ugly

Clockwork Orange
04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Holy cripes...I like Chone Figgins...but you pantsed the guy who made that trade. What was the person's rationale in making that deal? Were you privy?

Also...great avatar/message below it.

He wanted Figgins pretty bad and had been making trade offers for him since the night of the draft. About a week went by and I thought he'd let it go, but he sent me a message inquiring about Figgins again. I looked at who he had on the league trade block and saw King Felix there. I offered him a one for one swap and he took it.

His reasoning for wanting Figgins was that he needed an outfield upgrade. His best outfielder prior to the deal was Jeff Francouer. He still needs an outfield upgrade and keeps making me laughable offers for Vlad Guerrero. I dunno, maybe he feels like I owe him one.

Either way, I'm happy to have King Felix to go along with Kazmir, Smoltz & Harden. !Booya!

Kid A
04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
How 'bout those Royals! Gil Meche lived up to his payroll today. Don't know what to expect for the rest of the season, but today was fun.

Pendejo
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
He wanted Figgins pretty bad and had been making trade offers for him since the night of the draft. About a week went by and I thought he'd let it go, but he sent me a message inquiring about Figgins again. I looked at who he had on the league trade block and saw King Felix there. I offered him a one for one swap and he took it.

His reasoning for wanting Figgins was that he needed an outfield upgrade. His best outfielder prior to the deal was Jeff Francouer. He still needs an outfield upgrade and keeps making me laughable offers for Vlad Guerrero. I dunno, maybe he feels like I owe him one.

Either way, I'm happy to have King Felix to go along with Kazmir, Smoltz & Harden. !Booya!

Last I heard Figgins was going to play third base.

WABronco
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM

Wow...that has to feel realllly good.

You should deal Vlad before he plays Seattle (and, more importantly, Jose Guillen). HAhashahahaaha

WABronco
04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
How 'bout those Royals! Gil Meche lived up to his payroll today. Don't know what to expect for the rest of the season, but today was fun.

Yea I was happy to see that. Never really got into all the Meche hating that went on towards the end of last year. I was hoping we would re-sign him, but that 55 mil is a little too much for my taste.

Plus he beat Boston. I hate the Red Sox. I'm looking forward to Seattle sweeping their asses in their home-opening series (orangeshadow).

;D

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Last I heard Figgins was going to play third base.

He's eligible at SS, 3B and OF in CBS leagues.

Pendejo
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
He's eligible at SS, 3B and OF in CBS leagues.

Hah! Chone Figgins = Bip Roberts...except he's a better ball player...anyway you slice it...you won.

SoCalBronco
04-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Got a beat down today from the Tribe...hopefully we can rebound tomorrow. Go Sox.

Taco John
04-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Damn... My boy Eric Bedard got shelled out there. 6 runs in 4.2 innings... Ouch. I watched part of that game. Johan Santana had some trouble with the bats himself. There was a lot of hitting in that one.

Oswalt had a hell of a outing that Lidge went out an blew. Shame...

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Damn... My boy Eric Bedard got shelled out there. 6 runs in 4.2 innings... Ouch. I watched part of that game. Johan Santana had some trouble with the bats himself. There was a lot of hitting in that one.

F'n Brad Lidge. Thanks for costing me a save, jerkass. On the other hand, he did convince me that it was time to get an insurance policy for the bullpen.

Jens1893
04-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Lidge is obviously still suffering from that 3 run shot he gave up to Pujols. He hasn´t been the same since.

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 03:40 AM
I gambled on Lidge in the 11th round of a draft. Not looking like a wise risk at the moment.

If he gets loses his closer spot, I'm banishing him to waiver wire land.

Hogan11
04-03-2007, 11:32 AM

F'n Brad Lidge. Thanks for costing me a save, jerkass.

I gambled on Lidge in the 11th round of a draft. Not looking like a wise risk at the moment.

If he gets loses his closer spot, I'm banishing him to waiver wire land.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=900&dateline=1174721539
YYYYyyyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

WABronco
04-03-2007, 07:56 PM
At least it wasn't a total meatball. Nice piece of hitting by Nady.

For my sake, I hope he's serious about his confidence.

Pendejo
04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Behind a dominant performance by Jake Peavy and a 4 for 5 day at the plate from Josh Bard...the Madres stomp the Giants 7-0. The first opening day shut out by SD in the club's history.

Tomorrow should be a good one...Chris Young vs. Matt Cain.

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Miguel Cabrera is a bad, bad dude.

That is all.

Hogan11
04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
At least it wasn't a total meatball. Nice piece of hitting by Nady.

For my sake, I hope he's serious about his confidence.

X will have his moments, barring injury...the preseason scare may spur him on as well.

I loved the deal that brought him over from the Mets last year.

elsid13
04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Yea I was happy to see that. Never really got into all the Meche hating that went on towards the end of last year. I was hoping we would re-sign him, but that 55 mil is a little too much for my taste.

Plus he beat Boston. I hate the Red Sox. I'm looking forward to Seattle sweeping their asses in their home-opening series (orangeshadow).

;D

Keep dreaming. Schilling is still getting into shape because he was unable to get his regular off season condition program going this year, he will bounce back. Meche had a heck of game, but Sox bats will get it going and Beckett and Dice K nice stopper to have if Schilling struggles early

WABronco
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Keep dreaming. Schilling is still getting into shape because he was unable to get his regular off season condition program going this year, he will bounce back. Meche had a heck of game, but Sox bats will get it going and Beckett and Dice K nice stopper to have if Schilling struggles early

We shall see!

-Slap-
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/9034/56720530ow9.jpg

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM

The first of many to come for the man-child. :strong: !Booya!

-Slap-
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
40 is a nice round number.......:)

OrangeShadow
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
We shall see!

you will see, beckett will be the ace of this staff then with schill and dice-k. and with pap closing the sweep is going to be done by the sox not the Ms

elsid13
04-03-2007, 11:08 PM
you will see, beckett will be the ace of this staff then with schill and dice-k. and with pap closing the sweep is going to be done by the sox not the Ms

You need to spread some of that love to Wakefield. I have feeling that he goes on one of those rolls with knuckler this year.

OrangeShadow
04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
well i think he'll be in the pen by june or july when we have lester up and clemens on the roster :)

elsid13
04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
well i think he'll be in the pen by june or july when we have lester up and clemens on the roster :)

I am not holding out hope for Clemens, I think he will end up back in Houston. Just so he could play with his son.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Hell yeah... :yayaya:

I've got Prince in both leagues I'm in. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does this year.

MechanicalBull
04-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Put it in the books the Mets hold the Cards to 1 run once again. :yep:

Here's something for all you Cardinal fans or Carpenter owners.ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Chris Carpenter will miss a turn in the St. Louis Cardinals' pitching rotation due to right elbow inflammation, though the team thinks its ace won't be out long.

Edit: for Vlad going 2-2 with an hr and 2 rbi

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 12:57 AM
The youngsters come up huge for the Rockies. Troy Tulowitzki with a two out RBI double in the 11th to tie it and an RBI single by Chris Iannetta to win it.

The kids are alright. :)

WABronco
04-04-2007, 01:17 AM
The Yuni-Bomber goes deep to clean up Julio Mateo's ****ty mess! 8-4 M's in the 8th! WOOHOOOOO!

http://www.stratogists.com/images/betancourt_over_ellis.jpg

BEEYAAAA

TheChamp24
04-04-2007, 01:38 AM
The Mariners can surpass their win total of last year against the A's in the 2nd game of the season, lol.

Also, Hurdle sucks at managing. I mentioned it in the Rockies thread, but nobody out, bottom 11, runners 1st and 2nd and down a run, bunt the men over. Instead, Hawpe hits into a double play, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Lucky Troy and Ianetta bailed him out with some clutch hits.
I will say, I like Troy and Ianetta, I think they will be good hitters for the Rocks. Especially Troy. I could see him hitting 2nd by the end of the season, maybe. Solid power to left and right field, good defensively, I think he could become an All Star SS.

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 01:41 AM
The Mariners can surpass their win total of last year against the A's in the 2nd game of the season, lol.

Also, Hurdle sucks at managing. I mentioned it in the Rockies thread, but nobody out, bottom 11, runners 1st and 2nd and down a run, bunt the men over. Instead, Hawpe hits into a double play, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Lucky Troy and Ianetta bailed him out with some clutch hits.
I will say, I like Troy and Ianetta, I think they will be good hitters for the Rocks. Especially Troy. I could see him hitting 2nd by the end of the season, maybe. Solid power to left and right field, good defensively, I think he could become an All Star SS.

Hurdle wasn't managing in this game, he was serving a one game suspension for an incident in spring training. Jamie Quirk assumed the managerial duties tonight.

Your point that Hurdle sucks is still a valid one, though.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Beckett is going to have to find his curve ball again if he's going to be an ace. Teams with bats will just sit on that fast ball and shell the guy. I'm interested to see how he does against Toronto in the middle of April...

TheChamp24
04-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Hurdle wasn't managing in this game, he was serving a one game suspension for an incident in spring training. Jamie Quirk assumed the managerial duties tonight.

Your point that Hurdle sucks is still a valid one, though.

lol, forgot about that, the suspension, but damn, that almost killed me because its basic baseball, bunt the guys over, guaranteed a tie at least.

OrangeShadow
04-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Beckett is going to have to find his curve ball again if he's going to be an ace. Teams with bats will just sit on that fast ball and shell the guy. I'm interested to see how he does against Toronto in the middle of April...

You obviously havent seen him pitch in spring training at all.

Hogan11
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/6610.jpg

X does it again! Snell had a great outing...The Buccos are off to a promising start thus far....they haven't had a very good history in the Maid, but as Lou Reed once said: "Those were different times". I don't expect it, but a sweep of the A-Holes on the road to start the season off would be pretty cool :thumbs:

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/scorecard/03/03/truth.rumors.mlb/p1_cabrera.jpg

Another bomb today for Miggy. !Booya!

Taco John
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
You obviously havent seen him pitch in spring training at all.

Not too much... I saw that he beaned Ordonez in a game where he gave up four hits and 5 runs in some 3-odd innings.

We'll see how he does. I'm just a little skeptical of the guy after the season he had last year. His fast ball was like a dinner bell last year.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Wow... Carroll misses two tags at second in one game! That's horrible!

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Tigers had a 10-2 lead going into the 8th, but the Jays have plated 7 runs to cut it to 10-9 and are still batting.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Tigers had a 10-2 lead going into the 8th, but the Jays have plated 7 runs to cut it to 10-9 and are still batting.

Wow... That's a hell of a comeback...

Pudge with a 4 hit game...

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow... That's a hell of a comeback...

Pudge with a 4 hit game...

Works for me, makes it a save situation for Todd Jones in the 9th. :thanku:

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
2 outs. 2 on base... Bottom of the 8th... Granderson at bat to try to put the game away... See, this right here is what baseball is all about.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:32 PM
And here come the Blue Jays...

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Here comes Jones with a save opportunity.

Don't Lidge it up.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Lidge it up! Ha!

Jens1893
04-04-2007, 05:36 PM
He allowed hill to get on base with a single.

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Uh oh Jones! Two on, 1 out!

Jens1893
04-04-2007, 05:38 PM
He walks Zaun ... Hill to second

Jens1893
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Smith flies out to LF

Taco John
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Jones FTS

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Nice. I've got Jones in two of my three leagues. That's my first save in both leagues. :yep:

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Troy Tulowitzki is a talented kid, but he needs to work on his plate discipline. He's far too aggressive right now. He falls behind in so many counts that I'm gonna start calling 0 and 2-lowitzki.

Clockwork Orange
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Matt Holliday crushes one to straightaway center. :notworthy

Taco John
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
A slider even... Nice. I've got Holliday in my home league.

Master___Pain
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Rox up 8-2. 4 runs in the 8th

Master___Pain
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Damn...11-2 Rox. Still in the 8th. Melvin left his reliever in waaaay to long. 7 hits and 7 runs. Ouch

Pendejo
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Damn...11-2 Rox. Still in the 8th. Melvin left his reliever in waaaay to long. 7 hits and 7 runs. Ouch

Yeah...according to espn.com J.D. Durbin is sporting an era of 94.50 right now.

TheChamp24
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Rockies 2-1, not a bad start so far. Lopez was really impressive out there, gotta give him that.
Rockies scored 11 runs, but if this stat is correct, they left like 25 on base.
And Helton is back, 2 more doubles and 2 walks, look out, I smell a batting title on the horizon.

OrangeShadow
04-05-2007, 12:00 AM
beckett looked alright tonight, his 2 seamer had a lot of movement and his changeup was real nice. I think it was kind of tough to get a feel for his curve with the cold weather.

elsid13
04-05-2007, 12:11 AM
beckett looked alright tonight, his 2 seamer had a lot of movement and his changeup was real nice. I think it was kind of tough to get a feel for his curve with the cold weather.

The Sox really eating up KC pitching tonight. Glad to see Lugo actually get a hit.

Taco John
04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Finally... Ichiro breaks the Mariners hitting slump with a nice single. I freaking love Ichiro.

Taco John
04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Ok Batista... Get your weak ass off the mound...

Friggen Mariners... grrrrrr

TheChamp24
04-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Finally... Ichiro breaks the Mariners hitting slump with a nice single. I freaking love Ichiro.

lol, "nice single". Yup, that hitting slump is over with that single!

Taco John
04-05-2007, 12:52 AM
If we don't celebrate small victories in Mariners land, there'd be no point in watching...

Pendejo
04-05-2007, 01:00 AM
MORE JERRY COLEMAN!!!!!!

Sure the guy is going on 81 or 82, but he's an ageless former world series MVP. And a hall of fame broadcaster. The new guy the Madres hired to spell him is about as exciting as watching water boil.

/I don't get to watch many games. Listen to pretty much everything on radio.

Taco John
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
I've finally flipped over to the Madres game... I can't take it anymore.

I've got MLB.tv again this season. Well worth the $15 bucks per month...

Pendejo
04-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Hell's Bells. The Madres hit three home runs to beat the Giants. Trevor Hoffman faces the minimum amount of batters.

Fantasy geeks: (M. Giles, Adrian Gonzalez, and Khalil Green had the homers.)

(Edit: If your team is trailing and is facing the Madres' bully...go ahead and go to sleep. Your team is going to lose.)

TheChamp24
04-05-2007, 06:14 AM

I agree with that. Been able to watch the Rockies games here, and the quality is amazing IMO. Plus the archives, you can rewatch any previous game. Awesome value IMO.

-Slap-
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Ok Batista... Get your weak ass off the mound...

Friggen Mariners... grrrrrr

It still blows my mind that Seattle thought they could start the season with Jose fricking Vidro in the three hole. Most teams construct their lineups around the number three hitter. They don't find a retread second baseman, who's hit 30 homers in his last 1200 ABs, and plug him in as their DH.

Hogan11
04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
How about those Buccos? Sweeping the Aholes on the road....pretty damn good start to the season me thinks :thumbs:

Let's Go Bucs!

OrangeShadow
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
dice k is so filthy, all 6 of his pitches were working today and have immense movement.

PatsWin2002
04-05-2007, 06:56 PM
dice k is so filthy, all 6 of his pitches were working today and have immense movement.

Yes, Dice K looked good today. :thumbsup:

elsid13
04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I am pissed that I missed the game. but the good news the MLB and cables companies figure that crap out and I getting the EXTRA INNINGS package. SOX all summer and into October!!!!!

Crowpointer
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM

It was pretty funny to see the upper deck of Kaufman Stadium mostly empty and people standing on top of each other in the Camera pits (most of them from Japan) I loved the two Japanese fans they showed with the Sox Jersey's and the Samarai headbands. It's going to be Zoo here next week when he starts his first game at Fenway.

elsid13
04-05-2007, 09:27 PM
It was pretty funny to see the upper deck of Kaufman Stadium mostly empty and people standing on top of each other in the Camera pits (most of them from Japan) I loved the two Japanese fans they showed with the Sox Jersey's and the Samarai headbands. It's going to be Zoo here next week when he starts his first game at Fenway.

It Sunday night game right?

OrangeShadow
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
his first start at fenway will be wed. night 7:05

Jens1893
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

We get like 4 Red Sox games here this week (tomorrow plus Sunday @ Texas, Tuesday v Seattle and next Friday v the Angels) but none of the games is scheduled to be a Dice-K start by my calculations. Dammit.

I really cannot wait to see Matsuzaka v the Yankees at either Fenway or even better Yankee Stadium.

elsid13
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM

thanks.

WABronco
04-05-2007, 11:50 PM
It still blows my mind that Seattle thought they could start the season with Jose fricking Vidro in the three hole. Most teams construct their lineups around the number three hitter. They don't find a retread second baseman, who's hit 30 homers in his last 1200 ABs, and plug him in as their DH.

eHahahaha yea I know. Because Mike "****ing Idiot" Hargrove likes adding "veteran presence" to his lineups. The guy they traded for that chunk of scrap metal is a better hitter (though they both have the injury risk), and he's waaaay younger.

Couldn't believe that craptastic trade...

WABronco
04-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Oh I hope he'll be facing Batista! YOu will definitely lose then!

Clockwork Orange
04-06-2007, 12:29 AM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/07/18/1153237673_2086.jpg

Vlad The Impaler strikes again. !Booya!

Drek
04-06-2007, 01:04 AM

Its only $90 for a full season and playoffs.

I'm trying it out right now, its ok, but I might just go with MLB Audio. Wasn't real cool with the Royals broadcasting team today, with Audio I can get every Sox game and will have their radio crew for some real Red Sox relevant discussion, not a pair of guys in awe of an honest to god good team.

Such lines as "can a guy really have a .92 ERA in baseball today? Papelbon did it" and "The Red Sox are just looking to keep it close and let the bullpen close the door on you late in games". Morons.

Taco John
04-06-2007, 01:38 AM
I know that baseball is a great radio sport, but I have to see the pitching. I just love the mindgames watching those guys hurl.

-Slap-
04-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Rich Hill of the Cubs has retired all 15 Cardinal batters who've come to the plate tonight.

-Slap-
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Rich Hill of the Cubs has retired all 15 Cardinal batters who've come to the plate tonight.

Sure didn't take long to put the whammy on the kid's Perfecto.

Corey Hart took him deep to start the inning, now the Cubs have committed back to back errors (the second one by Hill).

Hogan11
04-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Sure didn't take long to put the whammy on the kid's Perfecto.

Corey Hart took him deep to start the inning, now the Cubs have committed back to back errors (the second one by Hill).

Wish you could've sent some of that whammy Matt Belisle's way tonight :(

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Matt Holliday with an absolute bomb to left center. You don't hit cheapies at Petco, that baby was a no doubter. :yep:

Taco John
04-07-2007, 12:43 AM
What The Hell Happened To Bj Ryan!

Yikes!

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Jason Hirsh is having a pretty nice Rockies debut thus far.

6 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 1 ER, 7 K's

-Slap-
04-07-2007, 12:58 AM
What The Hell Happened To Bj Ryan!

Yikes!

One of those nights. I wouldn't worry about him.

-Slap-
04-07-2007, 12:58 AM

That Jennings trade will start growing on people soon enough.

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 01:02 AM
That Jennings trade will start growing on people soon enough.

Jennings didn't exactly embarass himself in his Astros debut. Unfortunately, it was Wheeler's turn to cost a starter a win after a teriffic effort. Lidge had the night off.

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Vlad Guerrero blasts a three run homer. He's off to a sizzling start this season.

Pendejo
04-07-2007, 03:11 AM

Yeah...he took up where Jennings left off...a la...shutting down the Madres. Holliday crushed a Maddux mistake, and the Madres' late rally falls short again.

They have a hell of a time with the Rockies.

TheChamp24
04-07-2007, 03:49 AM
Awesome outing by Hirsh. Taveras needs to start getting on base more though. Really surprised with how well Matsui is playing so far too.
Francis, Lopez and Hirsh all with outstanding outings to start the year. Nice start for the Rockies.

rubaiyat
04-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Yeah...he took up where Jennings left off...a la...shutting down the Madres. Holliday crushed a Maddux mistake, and the Madres' late rally falls short again.

They have a hell of a time with the Rockies.

And the Rox are in 1st!! Breathe it in, it might not happen again this season.

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.bronxpride.com/files/images/alex-rodriguez-smacks-home-run.jpg

A-Rod with a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win it for the Yankees 10-7.

Not a bad day at the plate, 3-4, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 4 R

Wow. :notworthy

Pendejo
04-07-2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.bronxpride.com/files/images/alex-rodriguez-smacks-home-run.jpg

A-Rod with a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win it for the Yankees 10-7.

Not a bad day at the plate, 3-4, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 4 R

Wow. :notworthy

Did he get booed rounding third by those jackasses in New York?

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Did he get booed rounding third by those jackasses in New York?

They're probably hating on him right now for not hitting it far enough.

MechanicalBull
04-07-2007, 05:42 PM
They're probably hating on him right now for not hitting it far enough.

Yankee fans are booing him for making them nervous and waiting until the 9th inning instead of doing it earlier Ha!

Or they are just saying to themselves its only April and vs. the Orioles lets see what he does in Oct against Boston.

OrangeShadow
04-07-2007, 07:25 PM
people booing a-rod is just plain retarded anyway, even though he never does anything in the postseason hes still a damn good player.

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I'll be cheering my ass off for A-Rod years from now when he makes the all-time home run record legit again.

OrangeShadow
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Ill be rooting for him more than B*rry B*nds

-Slap-
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I'll be cheering my ass off for A-Rod years from now when he makes the all-time home run record legit again.

Yeah, the small consolation is peckerface will only have his asterisk tainted mark for a few years before A-Rod obliterates it.

TheChamp24
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Calculating ARod's final HR tally, he will turn 32 this year, and I'll say he probably will play til he is 40. 8 more years after this one.
He has 465 homeruns at the moment. I will estimate that he hits 45 this year, so that would leave him with 507 homeruns after this season.
Say he averages 40 for 3 more years, thats another 120 homeruns, so after 2010 he has about 627 homeruns
Then I will estimate he averages 35 homeruns for 3 years, which is another 105 dingers. End 2013, you are looking at 732 homeruns.
2 more years averaging 20 homeruns, gives him another 40 so the final tally estimated will be 772 homeruns.
Now, its really tough to really estimate and all, I mean, he could be an average hitter after 35 and not hit 30+ each year, or he could be done before he is 40. Heck, he could also crank out 50+ for a couple seasons.
Although, the man may go down as one of the best players to every play the game. He will likely end up with well over 3,000 hits, most likely 700+ homeruns, 2,000+ RBI's, 2,000+ runs scored, 500+ doubles, possibly 300+ stolen bases, a good average of around .300 if not above and a good on base percentage. Plus, he plays solid defense.
I will say I like ARod a lot, and would like to see him hold the title.
Now, could anyone contend for ARod's record? Pujols maybe?
As well, I like looking this stuff up to see how a players totals may end up at the end of their career.

TheChamp24
04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
So far Fogg is pitching decent.
Taveras is starting to piss me off though. 0-2 so far, and a weak pop out to short LF on the first pitch with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Luckily, Carroll came through with a 2 run single up the middle. Rocks are aggressive on the base paths tonight, it has come back to bite them though as Helton was thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double and Carroll trying to advance to 2nd.

TheChamp24
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Haha, watching mlb.tv broadcast, its Padres announcers, and the trivia question was Name the 2 Rockies who have won the NL Batting Average Title.

Anyone see the problem with that question? I'll give you a hint, the Rockies have had 3 winners of the Batting Average title.
1993 - Galarraga with a .370 average
Larry Walker did it multiple times
Helton once as well

Their answer was only Walker and Helton

SureShot
04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Just goes to show you how relevent the Rockies are.