PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Requiem
06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
LOL. Post 1,500. HOLY FUGGIN WEAVER. Wins first game, in a complete game shutout?

How does an 0-6, 11 ERA guy do this!?

SpringStein
06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Fuentes, with a favorable call by the ump, gets a 1-2-3 ninth.

Sweet Sweep!

Jens1893
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Broom_icon.svg/400px-Broom_icon.svg.png

Clockwork Orange
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Break 'em out. :~ohyah!:

http://www.wfrfire.com/website/misc/tools/broom_big.jpg

Master___Pain
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
LOL, a sweep of the Yankees. I can't wait to read about all the melt downs in Yankee nation right now. Go Rox!!

theAPAOps5
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
You do make some good points, but even some die hard Monfort haters are cutting the Rox a break on the Jennings deal.

Yeah they got great value for Jennings. I have no problem with trading for talent. But in stories I read it was suggested by the Monforts they did it to get value instead of paying him later on. That thinking is what worries me about the real talent on this team when their rookie contracts expire. That is all I am saying. Again my favorite team is Boston and has been since I was 5 so I see an ownership that goes out and pays for talent to get better. So I don't like the opposite in the Monforts and what really made me hate them is how they plead to have the Yankees put back on the schedule so they could raise prices by 50%! I just lost it there. Did you know the Rox are the first team to charge ticket prices based on the opponent in baseball history. They started that in 2002 against the Yanks and did it against Boston a few years ago. Yet they still cut salary and refuse to pay for talent.

Just my .02 cents and I may be overly harsh, I just don't like the Monforts.

DomCasual
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM
SWEEP!

theAPAOps5
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
The Yankees get swept by the Rox great series by the home team! Back to being 10.5 back now for the Yanks.

I met Roger Clemens a few years back when he pitched here in Denver. After the game he was taking a charter plane back to Houston while the team went on to the next road series. He saw my Boston hat and started chatting about when he played in Boston what happened when he left Boston and about baseball in general. He is a pretty nice guy, even took some friendly ribbing about the Yanks. And the dude is Yoked!

RhymesayersDU
06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Call me a bandwagon guy, I don't care. I'm so sporting the Rockies trucker hat I got a couple weeks ago against the St. Louis Cardinals with pride.

theAPAOps5
06-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Call me a bandwagon guy, I don't care. I'm so sporting the Rockies trucker hat I got a couple weeks ago against the St. Louis Cardinals with pride.

I have a feeling this run the Rox have put up in the last month are going to get a lot of fans back. I wouldn't call it bandwagon, just finally some good ball to watch and route for.

DomCasual
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I have a feeling this run the Rox have put up in the last month are going to get a lot of fans back. I wouldn't call it bandwagon, just finally some good ball to watch and route for.

Well, following the Rockies has definitely been tough. But there is still a whole lot of season left, and they could end up winning 100 games, losing 100 games, or anywhere in between.

Still, it's great to see them playing like this - especially since they're doing it with a bunch of players that have come up through the minors together. I still really despise the Monforts, and believe Clint Hurdle is way over his head as a big league manager. But I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

BMF Bronco
06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm loving it. Did I mention to you guys that I went to opening day this year?! Yeah, travelled from montucky to see it!

Paladin
06-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I am not a great supporter of the Monforts or of Deal O'Doud. Hurdle is just a small time manager, as far as I can tell. But the talent they have is pretty good. Maybe the Jennings deal was the one good thing Old Dealing Dan did. Holladay is on a one year deal, so there will be some decisions made this coming off season. IF they are not the right ones, I think the Rockies will slip back into the lower half of mediocrity again.

But to get the sweep against the Yanks was good to see. How about that? Won the series against the Big Bad Crimson Sox, swept the Yanks and got up on the Giants a bit, and creeping up on the Dudgers.

Good month for the Rockies.....

BMF Bronco
06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
20-7 since may 22nd, best in the majors!

SpringStein
06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Paladin;1623451]I. Holladay is on a one year deal, so there will be some decisions made this coming off season.
[QUOTE]

I believe Holiday is here through 2009.

ohiobronco2
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, following the Rockies has definitely been tough. But there is still a whole lot of season left, and they could end up winning 100 games, losing 100 games, or anywhere in between.

Still, it's great to see them playing like this - especially since they're doing it with a bunch of players that have come up through the minors together. I still really despise the Monforts, and believe Clint Hurdle is way over his head as a big league manager. But I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

The Rockies have been playing awesome. The first team I ever rooted for was the Reds, because I went to a ball game with my grandfather for the first time the year they won the World Series. Eric Davis was by far my favorite ball player. Once the Denver Zephers left town and the Rockies rolled in I began to follow them till I left Westminster. I couldn't believe the first game at Mile High against the Expos. I think the Rockies won 11-4 and had 3 or 4 homeruns with 2 coming in the first inning. Something like that.

I still follow the Rockies, but have had little to cheer about the last several years. We've only made the post season once in our history and consistenly finish below .500. Look at our payroll, always amongst the lowest in the majors despite years of being in the top 5 in attendance. Shameful. I'm glad they are currently playing great baseball.

BTW, anybody know what a Rockies Gold Card is?

ohiobronco2
06-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm loving it. Did I mention to you guys that I went to opening day this year?! Yeah, travelled from montucky to see it!

Hilarious!

Why does everybody refer to rural areas with ____tucky. We call Hamilton Ohio. Hamiltucky. Just curious

Hogan11
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
LOL. Post 1,500. HOLY FUGGIN WEAVER. Wins first game, in a complete game shutout?

How does an 0-6, 11 ERA guy do this!?

Easy, He faces The Pirates on an off day.

Pendejo
06-21-2007, 08:24 PM
The Madres got mauled by the Orioles this week. They got out pitched...out hit...out everything'd. The Blowhard Red Sox are up next. Some supreme pitching match ups in this series.

Friday....Chris Young Vs. Matsuzaka

Saturday....Greg Maddux Vs. Tim Wakefield

Sunday....Jake Peavy Vs. Josh Beckett

Three great pitching match-ups.

Requiem
06-21-2007, 08:53 PM
What hookers in the greater Denver area are blowing off the players before the games? This is unreal.

Good to see Rockies fans happy again!

SpringStein
06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Until Pendejo mentioned the Padres, I hadn't even looked at the standings - now just 3 1/2 games behind the Pads and Backs.

enjolras
06-21-2007, 09:46 PM

I went to that same game... :) Was awesome, especially since my wife is a Cardinals fan.

OrangeShadow
06-21-2007, 10:05 PM
thanks rockies :wave:

theAPAOps5
06-21-2007, 10:11 PM
thanks rockies :wave:

Word to that, 10.5 back of the Sox now. Hopefully it starts a trend with the Yanks and they fade away.

MechanicalBull
06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Nice job Rox. All week long here in NY on the radio they were pretty much guaranteeing at least 2 of 3 for the Yanks and a possible sweep. Saying this is the perfect time for the Yanks to be hot and play the lower level teams. Gotta love the Yankees getting swept by Colorado who are playing some great baseball right now.

24champ
06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
I am not a great supporter of the Monforts or of Deal O'Doud. Hurdle is just a small time manager, as far as I can tell. But the talent they have is pretty good. Maybe the Jennings deal was the one good thing Old Dealing Dan did. Holladay is on a one year deal, so there will be some decisions made this coming off season. IF they are not the right ones, I think the Rockies will slip back into the lower half of mediocrity again.

But to get the sweep against the Yanks was good to see. How about that? Won the series against the Big Bad Crimson Sox, swept the Yanks and got up on the Giants a bit, and creeping up on the Dudgers.
Good month for the Rockies.....

ROFL!

OH NOES!

http://www.lastocp.com/images/oh-noes.jpg

dbroncos31
06-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Felix!!!!

8 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 0 R, 9 Ks, if only he threw the 4 seamer less, he could do this against the good teams too.

broncocalijohn
06-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Hogan,

My Angels takes on the Bucs this weekend. Angels are winning series left and right. Sweep is in the works even w/o Weaver and Lackey. Hottest team in the last month (30 days) except ..... The Rockies! We will take the AL and The NL West can beat each other up. Sorry, no FB lingo here geeks. If voting for an AL Shortstop, dont go easy pick with Jeter. Cabrera is leading or tops in batting and fielding for shortstops. Dude is amazing with the glove. Helps to forget Eckstein. CB24, you feeling the heat?

TheChamp24
06-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Can't believe the Rockies swept the Yanks! Wow, gotta love it. Playing some fantastic baseball, great pitching, clutch hits and terrific fielding. Nobody has played better in the past month. Man, I know they can't play like this the rest of the season, but at this rate, they could possibly contend. Only 3.5 games back right now, we'll see at the All Star Break where things are though.

And to the media that thought the Yanks would roll over the Rockies, HA!

SportinOne
06-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Cubs continue to lose games in which they give up 5 runs or more.

That makes 2-28 i believe. Awful. Wasn't offense supposed to be their strong point?

Cards continue to be up and down. They only pose a threat because they are the Cardinals. Not too worried

Astros are as big of a joke as their stadium.

But i'm still kind of worried about Pittsburgh catching up. Watch out for 'em, right?

Kudos to the fans for voting Prince over Pujols. Hopefully that trend continues

-Slap-
06-22-2007, 03:49 AM
It looks like the A's have already given up on lazy headcase psycho Milton Bradley. Three trips to the DL in the first two months finally convinced them the guy is a gutless bum. Its nice when bad things happen to bad people.

A's designate Bradley for assignment (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/06/21/bc.bba.athletics.bradley.ap/index.html)

For a genius, Billy Beane's recent acquistitions have been mostly atrocious:

Milton Bradley: Malingering headcase. Gone.

Jason Kendell: High priced slap hitter. One homer in his last zillion ABs.

Mike Piazza: Got injured just as he finally started hitting. Now, when he's almost ready to return and DH, the A's tell him to go rehab his shoulder because they want him to catch. He only signed there because they told him it was to DH exclusively. He was a defensive liability in his prime, now his shoulder is shot and and Jose Molina could probably take second from him standing up on a pitchout.

Esteban Loaiza: Lousy last year and MIA this year.

The Haren trade was a beauty and the jury is still out on Blanton, but overall, Beane has been unimpressive the last few years.

Hogan11
06-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Hogan,

My Angels takes on the Bucs this weekend. Angels are winning series left and right. Sweep is in the works even w/o Weaver and Lackey.

You're probably right....my Pirates may not win a lot but they will fight you and honest effort is about all I can ask for from a underfunded, young and developing team.

Hogan11
06-22-2007, 12:28 PM
But i'm still kind of worried about Pittsburgh catching up. Watch out for 'em, right?

Well yes and no. They did catch fire and jelled last year post all star break but they were wayyy out of it by then and the pressure was off. They have yet to do anything approaching that this year with about the same personel.

The Angles seires will be brutal and they'll take their lumps most probably, but after that they do have Florida, a "get healthy" series against the Nationals (That I'll be in attendance for...the Bucs record when I'm in the stands approaches that of my in attendance Broncos record) and then a 4 game series against Mildew and 3 against the Cubs where they could pick up some ground.....or fold up the tents, either or.

BMF Bronco
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Did I hear correctly that the Dodgers' Ace is out for the year with an arm injury? Can't remember his name but it's the dude they just dropped $40M on this past offseason.

24champ
06-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Did I hear correctly that the Dodgers' Ace is out for the year with an arm injury? Can't remember his name but it's the dude they just dropped $40M on this past offseason.

Yeah Schmidt, it's bad news for this year thankfully though his poor pitching wasn't due to old age.The good news is that the Dodgers most coveted pitcher takes over for him. Chad Billingsley, a young 22 year old pitcher who will be a future bona fide ace and in relief this year he has completely shut down hitters. Dodgers plan to start him out slowly.:thumbsup:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2746/billingsley1stmajorleaguevictoryak4.jpg

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Tigers trade Mike Maroth to St. Louis for something to be named later. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2913104)

Smelvin
06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
The Haren trade was a beauty and the jury is still out on Blanton, but overall, Beane has been unimpressive the last few years.

The Haren deal was more than a thing of beauty. Getting a young ace who was passed his growing pains, carries a low salary, is locked up... in return for an oft-injured soon-to-be FA in Mark Mulder? Not to mention the A's also got a servicable bullpen arm in Kiko Calero.

Beane also blew it with the Aurthur Rhodes signing a few years ago.

I will also argue that he made the wrong deciison when chosing to go forward with Chavez instead of Tejada. Either Miggy or Crosby could have shifted to third.

But the Frank Thomas signing was outstanding, and just as outstanding was his deciison NOT to give him 3 years like Toronto reluctantly did.

Houston Street was a great pick just a few years ago.

But you are right, for such a (self) proclaimed "genius", Beane has had as many misses as he has hits.

The other "genius" across the bay, Brian Sabean, has turned a once proud franchise into a complete mess. Give me Cain, Lincecum, Lowry and Sanchez...and then blow everything else up.

MechanicalBull
06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
You know I used to love Clemens until recently and now he is just a complete baby and horse's ass. What a waste of money the Yankees spent on him. He gets paid about $1 million a start and he is exhausted after 4 innings of work throwing 90 pitches. So far 1-2 4.86 era This is a quote of his after the game yesterday.

"I was taking deep breaths on the mound. My mouth got dry a couple times," Clemens said. "That was the more difficult part. Heat or cold is not a big deal. The one inning a storm blew in and the wind changed direction. The wind hit my chest and caused me to throw the ball out of the zone. But I made the adjustment. Then, the wind started to blow straight out."

PatsWin2002
06-22-2007, 07:52 PM
If any of you haven't seen this yet.....well, you gotta. Even Clemens and Torre liked it.

<object id="myFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="464" height="380" wmode="transparent" data="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf?1181841793?ratename='WALKING TALL'&rating=3.9635&ratedby=6024&canrate=yes&VID=6562&file=http://www2.funnyordie.com/6562.flv&autoStart=false&key=6562&env="><param name="movie" value="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf?1181841793?ratename='WALKING TALL'&rating=3.9635&ratedby=6024&canrate=yes&VID=6562&file=http://www2.funnyordie.com/6562.flv&autoStart=false&key=6562&env=" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="swliveconnect" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf?1181841793" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" scale="noScale" salign="TL" bgcolor="#000000" flashvars="ratename='WALKING TALL'&rating=3.9635&ratedby=6024&canrate=yes&VID=6562&file=http://www2.funnyordie.com/6562.flv&autoStart=false&key=6562&env=" allowfullscreen="true" height="380" width="464"></embed><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6562">Roger Clemens 2057</a></object>

Edit: Sorry I just saw this has it's own thread.....funny though, this is from last week.

SouthStndJunkie
06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Tigers trade Mike Maroth to St. Louis for something to be named later. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2913104)

Maroth was the odd man out now that Kenny Rogers is back in the rotation.

Andrew Miller, their promising rookie pitcher, has shown enough to justify a spot on the Tigers in his month or so with the club instead of going back down to the minor leagues.

The Tigers need middle relief/relief pitching in the worst way.

Losing Joel Zumaya really hurt the team.

I will always appreciate what Maroth did for the Tigers when they had some very bad teams.

SouthStndJunkie
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Props to Kenny Rogers. He kicked ass in his first start of the year.

6 innings 2 hits 0 ER 0 BB 5 Ks

Master___Pain
06-22-2007, 10:48 PM
TULO!!!!!!!!!!!

2 run bomb in the 10th. Come on Rox, hang on to this.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Four singles and then Ianetta fires one into left field to cap a three run Jays rally in the 10th.

Bad loss for the Rockies. You can't let games like that one get away.

Paladin
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
The Jays' pitchers had nasty stuff tonight. Hirsch was not effective. And the chopped hits really created some problems for the Rox. They were outpitched. Lets see what happens tomorrow.......

Taco John
06-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Good God, Mariners! What the hell happened!

theAPAOps5
06-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Man the Rox loss hurts. Too hit a 2 run bomb and then lose on an error really hurts. O'well can't win them all, my BoSox squeeked one out which also helps the Rox.

24champ
06-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Man the Rox loss hurts. Too hit a 2 run bomb and then lose on an error really hurts. O'well can't win them all, my BoSox squeeked one out which also helps the Rox.

More importantly the Bosox helped the Dodgers, back in first place!

But it won't be for long, seems like the Madres and the Dodgers always jockey back and forth for first.

TheChamp24
06-23-2007, 03:57 AM
Good lord that loss hurts really bad. Should've been a win, but blew it.
Up 6-3, blew that lead. Up 8-6 in the bottom of the 10th, blew that one too.
Argh.
Also, the home plate ump sucked hardcore. My god those were some pretty bad called strikes, I thought I was watching a little league game being umped sometimes.

OrangeShadow
06-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I cant wait for sunday

Josh Beckett vs Jake Peavy!

Crowpointer
06-23-2007, 07:54 AM
I cant wait for sunday

Josh Beckett vs Jake Peavy!

Let's hope they burn those Padres throwback uni's by then. Also if they are going with Sox throwbacks then use the real throwback sox (see elsi13 avatar)

elsid13
06-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Let's hope they burn those Padres throwback uni's by then. Also if they are going with Sox throwbacks then use the real throwback sox (see elsi13 avatar)

What you didn't like the Jody Reed/Spike Owens look??? Those were the uniforms of my youth.

BTW I was amazed that Dice K pulled it together after that first inning last night. He starting to figure out the American game. Now if we could get some hitting.

Drek
06-23-2007, 09:01 AM
What you didn't like the Jody Reed/Spike Owens look??? Those were the uniforms of my youth.

BTW I was amazed that Dice K pulled it together after that first inning last night. He starting to figure out the American game. Now if we could get some hitting.

I think the bats are coming back to life. Manny and 'Tiz are showing thei power swings of late and Youks and Pedroia are both still doing quite well.

Drew was showing signs of life before tweaking his hammy, hopefully its nothing serious and he's back before we know it. More importantly Magadan has gotten Crisp to make some good adjustments to his stance and plate approach that has given him much more pop on the ball and is really doing wonders for him.

My big worry at this point is Lugo. I don't think he's healthy. He's been wearing a wrist brace for a few weeks now and he's looked more emaciated than ever this season. He's always been a thin guy but I read he got sick this winter and it caused him to lose about ten pounds. I don't think he's put it back on. At his size thats a pretty big deal. The line between playing through pain and having an injury is often pretty grey, I hope Lugo and the staff evaluate his situation some time soon. Seems to me like he could use a 15 day DL stint to get the weight back on and let the wrist fully mend. If he keeps pushing himself through it a la Crisp last year we'll be very disappointed with his numbers.

Nice to see Delcarmen get a shot in the late and close situation last night. Did a good job, I think given a shot he could be the rhp setup guy opposite Okajima that would really take this bullpen to the next level.

TheChamp24
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Man, after stifling the Yanks bats, the Rockies pitching is gettin smoked in Toronto.
Hirsh and Cook have really looked like crap of late. Is this because of playing on the stupid turf in Toronto, and all the grounders that are normally outs are singles in Toronto? Geezus

Crowpointer
06-23-2007, 04:39 PM

This is the player (my all time fave) of my youth. Notice how Pudge's sox look. What can I say. The first game my dad took me to he hit a triple and that was that.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Frank Thomas hit #498 against the Rockies today.

elsid13
06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
This is the player (my all time fave) of my youth. Notice how Pudge's sox look. What can I say. The first game my dad took me to he hit a triple and that was that.

That real cool. I actually saw big Mo first HR in MLB. It was in old Memorial Stadium. What a freaking dump that place was.

elsid13
06-23-2007, 06:51 PM
I think the bats are coming back to life. Manny and 'Tiz are showing thei power swings of late and Youks and Pedroia are both still doing quite well.

Drew was showing signs of life before tweaking his hammy, hopefully its nothing serious and he's back before we know it. More importantly Magadan has gotten Crisp to make some good adjustments to his stance and plate approach that has given him much more pop on the ball and is really doing wonders for him.

My big worry at this point is Lugo. I don't think he's healthy. He's been wearing a wrist brace for a few weeks now and he's looked more emaciated than ever this season. He's always been a thin guy but I read he got sick this winter and it caused him to lose about ten pounds. I don't think he's put it back on. At his size thats a pretty big deal. The line between playing through pain and having an injury is often pretty grey, I hope Lugo and the staff evaluate his situation some time soon. Seems to me like he could use a 15 day DL stint to get the weight back on and let the wrist fully mend. If he keeps pushing himself through it a la Crisp last year we'll be very disappointed with his numbers.

Nice to see Delcarmen get a shot in the late and close situation last night. Did a good job, I think given a shot he could be the rhp setup guy opposite Okajima that would really take this bullpen to the next level.

Lugo is definitely a concern, at this point we might as well kept Gonzalez from last year at least we have his defense. I think Delcarmen is the future RHP setup man, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO send him down to the PAWSOXs once Timlin shows he healthy. Just because he (Delcarmen) has options.

Clockwork Orange
06-23-2007, 06:51 PM
The Rockies couldn't get their pitching and defense through customs apparently. The Jays hammered them today.

OrangeShadow
06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Im starting to warm up to mike greenbergs one time zone idea. i cant stay up for these west coast games when i have to get up at 5:30 for work.

oh well at least i can catch tomorrows game

elsid13
06-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Im starting to warm up to mike greenbergs one time zone idea. i cant stay up for these west coast games when i have to get up at 5:30 for work.

oh well at least i can catch tomorrows game

That why I took a nap today. Don't what I going about those Seattle games this week though. I cannot wait for the road trip to end

Clockwork Orange
06-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow, A-Rod with another 9th inning home run to tie the game 5-5.

That's something like his 4th 9th inning HR this season.

Hogan11
06-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Spike Owen....Man, I miss the Expos :(

MechanicalBull
06-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Spike Owen....Man, I miss the Expos :(

I used to love Spike Owen when I was a little kid just because of how cool I thought his name was. Also Dennis Oil Can Boyd.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/jon/images/oilcan/13.JPG

Drek
06-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Lugo is definitely a concern, at this point we might as well kept Gonzalez from last year at least we have his defense. I think Delcarmen is the future RHP setup man, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO send him down to the PAWSOXs once Timlin shows he healthy. Just because he (Delcarmen) has options.

Actually, most metrics have Lugo as a pretty well above average defender this year. He's certainly more rangy than Gonzalez, my only quibble with his D is that his arm gets a bit erratic on occasion.

Pendejo
06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
I used to love Spike Owen when I was a little kid just because of how cool I thought his name was. Also Dennis Oil Can Boyd.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/jon/images/oilcan/13.JPG

I think "Oil Can" was pitching in the minors last summer, or the summer before.

WABronco
06-24-2007, 12:12 AM
I would've loved to have seen Seattle put one in Griffey's fatass in response to that punk Lohse throwing at poor, helpless, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly Richie Sexson.

Pendejo
06-24-2007, 12:43 AM
An awesome pitching match-up in tomorrow's rubber game between the Red Sox and the Madres.

Peavy Vs. Beckett.

-Slap-
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Wow, A-Rod with another 9th inning home run to tie the game 5-5.

That's something like his 4th 9th inning HR this season.

He's 11-20 with seven homers in the ninth inning this year.

-Slap-
06-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Cool pissing match going on between John Smoltz and Larry Jones right now.

Jones, Smoltz take verbal shots (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6951496)

Associated Press

As the Atlanta Braves continue to struggle on the field, there is an unusual sign of disharmony among the team's most established veterans.
Chipper Jones was back in the Braves' lineup Saturday, saying he felt pressured by pitcher John Smoltz to rush back from a groin injury. The Braves had suffered three straight shutout losses for the first time since 1988 entering the game, which they lost 2-1 to Detroit despite Jones' homer.

When asked before the game if he is rushing his return, Jones said, "Probably. But I feel a little backed into a corner."

Asked to elaborate, Jones indicated some doubted he was injured enough to miss games.

"Let's just say there are people who don't believe me," Jones said. "Let's just say that and leave it at that."

After Friday night's 5-0 loss to the Tigers, Smoltz said, "You can't worry about who's in the lineup and who isn't. You can't worry about that stuff anymore."

Added Smoltz: "I certainly appreciate the effort of the guys who are on the field busting it."

Smoltz didn't identify Jones as a player not in the lineup, but Jones said after Saturday's game that he got the message.

"I'd be stupid if I didn't take it the same way," Jones said, adding he planned to "play the rest of the games this year and do whatever I can. Somebody I know better not miss a start."

Smoltz, asked Saturday if he was referring to Jones, said, "I have no comment. I'm not even going to address that."

When asked Friday about his sore shoulder, Smoltz said: "We all could wish we were feeling better, but that's the way it goes."

Jones said he hasn't talked with Smoltz about the pitcher's comments.

"I got nothing to say," Jones said. "He made his point through the media. Now I'm going to make my point through the media. If he doesn't want to do it man to man, then fine."

The Braves have experienced very little clubhouse turmoil in Bobby Cox's tenure as manager, but Cox may have been aware of building tensions on Saturday.

"It's no time to start pointing fingers at people," Cox said before the game. "We'll stay in this together."

Cox's original lineup Saturday included Yunel Escobar at third base, as Cox anticipated Jones missing another game with his strained right adductor muscle.

Jones apparently sustained the injury, which is in the groin area, during Tuesday's game against Boston. He left Wednesday's game with the injury and was held out Friday following an off day Thursday.

Jones tested the injury by taking a few swings in the indoor batting cage and then took more swings during the team's regular batting practice, with Cox and trainer Jeff Porter watching.

Jones hasn't played a full season since 2003. He's been on the DL four years in a row with a variety of ailments: a hamstring problem three years ago, an injured foot the following season, a strained oblique last year.

Jones moved back into the lineup as the cleanup hitter.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 01:18 AM

Ah, I think it was his 4th game tying/winning 9th inning bomb this year.

Two of those were walk of grand slams. :strong:

Pendejo
06-24-2007, 04:32 AM
As to Slap's post...I've always enjoyed how Mike Piazza refers to "Chipper" Jones as Lawrence, or Larry...the former being his birth name.

Get on the phone Towers...send a bag of dented baseballs to Hotlanta for the great John Smoltz. It'd be a really great deal...for the good guys.

Hogan11
06-24-2007, 09:07 AM
I think "Oil Can" was pitching in the minors last summer, or the summer before.

The last I had heard, he was in a semi-pro league pitching for Brooklyn....I think anyways. All I know is he's still out there, throwing someplace.

MechanicalBull
06-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Yeah. They have his ninth inning stats in todays paper. He is 11-20, 7hr, 18rbi, 5 walks, .550 avg, .640 on-base

elsid13
06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Wonder if Oil Can still think he better then the Rocket???

Pendejo
06-24-2007, 01:11 PM
The last I had heard, he was in a semi-pro league pitching for Brooklyn....I think anyways. All I know is he's still out there, throwing someplace.

Yeah...semi-pro sounds right. Whoops!

elsid13
06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
An awesome pitching match-up in tomorrow's rubber game between the Red Sox and the Madres.

Peavy Vs. Beckett.

Which mean both offenses will have great days and both pitchers will be run early.

Hogan11
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Question:

If the Canadian dollar continues to get stronger as expected (to equal and possibly even surpass the US greenback by the end of the year) do any of you think the more troubled franchises in sports will start looking north of the border for relocation sites once again?

elsid13
06-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Question:

If the Canadian dollar continues to get stronger as expected (to equal and possibly even surpass the US greenback by the end of the year) do any of you think the more troubled franchises in sports will start looking north of the border for relocation sites once again?

I doubt it. There are to many US cities that will get first shot at any relocation before Canadia.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
All the good feelings the Rockies had built up are being washed away in Toronto. They look nothing like the team that went 20-7 over the prior month in this series.

Perhaps they decided not to wait until the All-Star break for their annual swoon.

TheChamp24
06-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Good lord I wonder what happened. Giving up homeruns left and right in Toronto, after allowing the Yankees to I believe 5 runs in 3 games.
And right now they are getting no hit by Dustin freakin mcGowan
Wow...

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 02:59 PM
McGowan has a no-hitter through 7 1/3 against a Rockies team that looks like they've got an early flight and are determined to make it. They've been hacking and flailing at pitches all day, not working counts or showing any patience.

It's one thing to get no-hit when a guy just has electric stuff that day, but it really sucks when you help him out the way the Rockies have.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
No-hit through 8 innings and he's only had to throw 93 pitches. Goodness.

The pitching and defense killed them in the first two games of this series, I guess the offense decided it was their turn for a day off.

If he gets through the 9th, it'll be, I believe, the third time in their history that the Rockies have been no-hit.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Jeff Baker breaks it up with a lead off single in the 9th.

-Slap-
06-24-2007, 03:20 PM
No-hit through 8 innings and he's only had to throw 93 pitches. Goodness.

The pitching and defense killed them in the first two games of this series, I guess the offense decided it was their turn for a day off.

If he gets through the 9th, it'll be, I believe, the third time in their history that the Rockies have been no-hit.

Nomo and who else?

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Nomo and who else?

I remember it was in Florida many years ago. I'm thinking Al Leiter, but I could be wrong.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 03:29 PM
For the record, I don't want it to sound like I'm downplaying McGowan, he pitched an outstanding ballgame. It was just frustrating to watch the Rockies to show next to no discipline at the plate.

Speaking of outstanding pitching, Gallardo is dealing for the Brewers right now.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 05:03 PM
How nice of Turnbow to blow it in the 8th after Gallardo pitched 7 strong innings and left with a one run lead. :nono:

Pendejo
06-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Peavy has over 70 pitches in the fourth inning. Poor defense, and Jake's inability to finish guys off after getting up in the count is killing the Madres today.

That and their lack of offense.

Clockwork Orange
06-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Corey Hart takes one out to center to tie it 3-3.

Hart's been amazing since he's been a regular in the Brewers lineup.

elsid13
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Yahoo is reporting that former pitcher Rob Beck is died. Only 38 years old. RIP

OrangeShadow
06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
so much for your prediction elsid lol

pap just blowing them away. and hes only throwing 94 :rofl:

-Slap-
06-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Corey Hart takes one out to center to tie it 3-3.

Hart's been amazing since he's been a regular in the Brewers lineup.

Ned Yost jerked the kid around for the better part of a year and a half, but it looks like he's finally giving Hart the chance he deserves.

elsid13
06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
so much for your prediction elsid lol

pap just blowing them away. and hes only throwing 94 :rofl:

It was great game for Beckett. Little shaky in the 5th when he give up the two runs but he came right back and took control of that game. Yet another seris won by the Sox. Now onto to Seattle and LAA and getting the entire offense back onto the field. Lugo is starting to piss me off big time though.

SoCalBronco
06-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Just 1 more homer, Big Hurt!

It's a bit bittersweet seeing him get to 500 in another uniform, but I will still be very happy nonetheless.

WABronco
06-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Shadow, elsid, it's F'ing on! Your team will escape the safe with one win, if they're LUCKY!

elsid13
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Goddard goes tomorrow instead of Lester. A little surprised but Lester has been inconsistent the last couple of starts.

I freaking hate West Coast games

elsid13
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Shadow, elsid, it's F'ing on! Your team will escape the safe with one win, if they're LUCKY!

Gee why do I feel like we have chance tonight with Julian Tavarez? Maybe because the team from Mass is facing Jeff Weaver of 8.56 ERA (starting pitchers with that ERA needs to be released)

WABronco
06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Bwhaaha I know, you'll still need to be LUCKY though...

elsid13
06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Bwhaaha I know, you'll still need to be LUCKY though...

Yeah because we could be facing Ryan Feierabend with his minuscule ERA of 8.20

WABronco
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
All right all right...

ryan ain't that bad though.

ohiobronco2
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Hurry up Rockies, get below .500 before your fans notice. Uhh

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I told you they should have sold high on Fuentes. That's two straight saves he's blown and both of them squandered clutch, late inning home runs from Troy Tulowitzki.

Looks like the bullpen from the beginning of the season is back.

WABronco
06-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Woohoo! VICTORYYYY!

http://www.mountaineermusing.com/uploaded_images/woohoo-772131.gif

DomCasual
06-26-2007, 01:42 AM
That hurt. A lot. It could (should) have been a huge win - the kind of win on which great seasons can be built. Instead, it turned into exactly the opposite.

You can't put all the blame on Fuentes. The game is over if Kaz makes a routine play on a slow grounder.

24champ
06-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Dodgers steamroll the D-backs 8-1.

Clockwork Orange
06-26-2007, 02:15 AM
You can't put all the blame on Fuentes. The game is over if Kaz makes a routine play on a slow grounder.

It's not all on Fuentes, but he certainly doesn't get absolved from blame. Seriously, does he ever have a clean inning? Does the concept of a 1-2-3 inning even register with him?

TheChamp24
06-26-2007, 03:10 AM
As much as I like Fuentes, I think he would be better suited for set up duty. The closers today have electric stuff out there. They can rear back and let er rip sometimes without great fear of getting burned for a homerun. Fuentes? he has to have pinpoint accuracy. Few closers survive like that.
I can't believe what happened to the Rockies though. Outstanding run, then 4 in a row, 2 of which should've been wins. In the others, they got flat outplayed. The pitching has hit the fan atm too. Its looking horrendus.

MechanicalBull
06-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Finally the Mets are starting to play some good baseball again. I'm still suprised that they had that horrible stretch of losing and are still in first place.

DomCasual
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
It's not all on Fuentes, but he certainly doesn't get absolved from blame. Seriously, does he ever have a clean inning? Does the concept of a 1-2-3 inning even register with him?

No, and that really concerns me. I worry that his inability to get out of an inning unscathed is just playing with fire. Much more often than not, he gets out of the troubles he brings on himself. But last night is a great example of the playing with fire thing. Kaz's error doesn't mean a thing if Fuentes isn't already in lots and lots of trouble. And even still, he would have gotten out of it, if Kaz had made a play he makes 98 times out of 100. But the way Fuentes plays, he leaves no room for error. A closer can't do that long-term.

And let's face it - we don't know if he's a real closer. It's one thing to save 30 games a year for a team that never contends for anything but the cellar. It's something entirely different to be closing in September, when your games mean something. What happens to his high wire act when he and the rest of the players have pennant race pressure (I hope we get to find that out at some point)?

TheChamp24
06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
No, and that really concerns me. I worry that his inability to get out of an inning unscathed is just playing with fire. Much more often than not, he gets out of the troubles he brings on himself. But last night is a great example of the playing with fire thing. Kaz's error doesn't mean a thing if Fuentes isn't already in lots and lots of trouble. And even still, he would have gotten out of it, if Kaz had made a play he makes 98 times out of 100. But the way Fuentes plays, he leaves no room for error. A closer can't do that long-term.

And let's face it - we don't know if he's a real closer. It's one thing to save 30 games a year for a team that never contends for anything but the cellar. It's something entirely different to be closing in September, when your games mean something. What happens to his high wire act when he and the rest of the players have pennant race pressure (I hope we get to find that out at some point)?

Like I said in my other post, I think Fuentes will be better suited for setup or middle relief. I think Corpas could develop into a good closer and we have that kid the Rockies drafted as well.

Crowpointer
06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Woohoo! VICTORYYYY!

http://www.mountaineermusing.com/uploaded_images/woohoo-772131.gif

Why so excited ? Did the Sun come out today or something in Seattle ?

WABronco
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Why so excited ? Did the Sun come out today or something in Seattle ?

Jeff Weaver: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

JEFF WEAVER

And no, the sun wasn't out today, but thanks for caring.

XOX

Crowpointer
06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Jeff Weaver: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

JEFF WEAVER

And no, the sun wasn't out today, but thanks for caring.

XOX

I'll take your word for it since I was in bed for most of the last 2 games. However I will get to see Dice K today before I take a dip In the ATLANTIC OCEAN as it is hot as hell here in Mass.

OrangeShadow
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I feel you on that one crow. Its way to hot for my tastes, hopefully it cools off for when i play football tomorrow

OrangeShadow
06-27-2007, 11:53 AM
sox may have lost but youk broke an 86 year old record

SEATTLE - The play in the fifth inning Monday night, when first baseman Kevin Youkilis (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Kevin+Youkilis&mode=all&sorting=pubdate) [stats (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/028/players.aspx?id=6816,pos=1B,team=028)] threw across the diamond to throw out Ichiro Suzuki at third base? That is what separates him from Stuffy McGinnis.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Youkilis did not throw that ball away, or do anything like that since last July 4 when he began a stretch of 120 consecutive errorless games for a first baseman, breaking McGinnis’ record set in 1921.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> “I definitely take a lot of pride in my defense,” Youkilis said. “From what I’ve learned over the years, defense wins ball games. You might have a great game hitting, but if you don’t play good on the field, it can have an effect on the ball game sometimes. It’s definitely something I try to get better at each day.”
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Youkilis came up through the Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox.bg) [team stats (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/028/teamstats.aspx?team=028)] system exclusively as a third baseman. Not until last year did he become the everyday first baseman. He has surprised everyone with his sure-handedness and intelligent decisions.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="8"><spacer type="block" height="8" width="8"></td></tr></tbody></table> Youkilis believes that playing third base only helped his skills at first base. “For me, first base is more of a reaction. You have a bigger glove, you don’t try to do too much,” he said. “Right now I just feel comfortable at first base. Over the past year, it’s been just a matter of going out there each day and fielding my position.”

elsid13
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Well I'm home for the game. When does this freaking road trip end?

The rookie looked like crap last night. That was one of the worse pitching performances I seen in long time.

TheChamp24
06-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, good game Rockies, good game. Way to bring back all those horrible memories. Its almost like 1993 again. 6 in a row? Geez.
And Helton, come on buddy, 4 for 19 so far on this road trip?

SpringStein
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
yea, 6 in a row - feels like I've been here before. As good as the pitching was for a month, it's been horrid on this trip.

Paladin
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Clutch hitting sucks, too....

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Greg Maddux gets win #340 today.

7-4 with an ERA of 3.66 on the year. Not bad for a 42 year old.

I love watching him pitch.

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2007, 08:29 PM
If anyone can make a run at 400 wins, it will be Maddux.

He is always healthy and is always in the 15-17 win range.

Great mechanics and does not rely on power pitching.

WABronco
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Well I'm home for the game. When does this freaking road trip end?

The rookie looked like crap last night. That was one of the worse pitching performances I seen in long time.

Ryan Feierabend was pretty much as bad his last game...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/2006/05/23/Zd8gWOJy.jpg

Wahhh-hoooo!

BTW, do you boston fellas like Pineiroid or not?

elsid13
06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Ryan Feierabend was pretty much as bad his last game...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/2006/05/23/Zd8gWOJy.jpg

Wahhh-hoooo!

BTW, do you boston fellas like Pineiroid or not?

Seems to be a nice young pitcher, but I still prefer paps and okie. Really disappointed in the lack of hitting from the Sox this series

TheChamp24
06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
If anyone can make a run at 400 wins, it will be Maddux.

He is always healthy and is always in the 15-17 win range.

Great mechanics and does not rely on power pitching.

I like Maddux, but he won't reach 400 wins. I actually thought he was going to be done after this year.

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I like Maddux, but he won't reach 400 wins. I actually thought he was going to be done after this year.

I don't think he will either, but if anyone has a chance, he does. I bet he gets to at least 370 wins. He has a few years left in the tank.

Crowpointer
06-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Seems to be a nice young pitcher, but I still prefer paps and okie. Really disappointed in the lack of hitting from the Sox this series

What was up Lugo throwing a fit when he was pinch hit for ? That was the first time I saw him start to show the pressure. If the fans smell blood it will only get worse when he comes back here for the homestand.

Hogan11
06-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Pirates on the verge of sweeping The Sith's Marlins.....a team and organization that has absolutely no redeeming qualities in my eyes...I love it.

Sassy
06-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Pirates on the verge of sweeping The Sith's Marlins.....a team and organization that has absolutely no redeeming qualities in my eyes...I love it.

:yayaya:

SouthStndJunkie
06-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Frank Thomas just hit HR #500 for his career.

elsid13
06-28-2007, 05:33 PM
What was up Lugo throwing a fit when he was pinch hit for ? That was the first time I saw him start to show the pressure. If the fans smell blood it will only get worse when he comes back here for the homestand.

Lugo is going to get from the home crowd. He has been a disaster at the plate and had a lot opportunities to bring runners home and failed. The question is can he packaged in some deal to bring in SS that won't fold under the pressure? What a waste performance of Dice K performance yesterday.

I see that Goddard is getting another start. Hope he calms down and throws strikes

SpringStein
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Rockies bullpen is blowing another one. Leading 4-1 going into the 8th - now a tied game.

DomCasual
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
LaTroy Freakin' Hawkins! :nutkick

He's Jose Mesa, without the lavender glove.

SpringStein
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
TULO - HR in 11th. Gonna be a great one.

Now let's see if the BP can blow it.

Breck Bronc
06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Brian Fuentes has completely lost it. Tulowitzki should have been a hero 3 times so far on this road trip and Fuentes has blown them all.

SpringStein
06-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Yep, Fuentes gives up the grand slam.

Tulo 3 HR's that should have won games in the last week...

theAPAOps5
06-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Unfricking believable, 2 outs 2 strikes on Biggio, no one on base and a Walk Off Home Run. Man Fuentez is done. Now Hurdle is goint to blast the fans who have never played baseball in the pros for being upset again. Man what happened to all the momentum.

WABronco
06-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Pads pull off another nice deal by getting Milton Bradley from Oakland. If he stays healthy...talk about an upgrade over Jose Cruz Jr.

24champ
06-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Dodgers steaming ahead...love the play of Loney so far, if he is not on your fantasy team pick him up, he is going to be good this year and a star later.

Big series coming up against the Madres. Looking forward to Penny vs Peavy on Saturday.

SoCalBronco
06-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Congrats Big Hurt!

TheChamp24
06-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Good freaking lord, the Rockies bullpen has lost it, once again.
Blew a big 4-1 lead in the 8th, then the walk off grand salami by Lee. Wow, Fuentes, 3 straight blown saves although one was because of an error. Still, he lets way too many hitters on base. Biggio single, Pence "double" and then hit Berkman. Geez, I had a feeling he wouldn't get Carlos out.
Way to blow 3 games so far this road trip bullpen...

Hogan11
06-29-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm in the Burgh the next three days checking out the series against the Nats.
For all you wagerers out there, my record while in the stands @ PNC is almost as good as that of being in Denver for home games...bet the house.

That's my tip to you all....good luck.

SouthStndJunkie
06-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Biggio gets to 3000 hits and Frank Thomas gets to 500 HRs on the same day.

That is pretty cool.

SouthStndJunkie
06-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm in the Burgh the next three days checking out the series against the Nats.
For all you wagerers out there, my record while in the stands @ PNC is almost as good as that of being in Denver for home games...bet the house.

That's my tip to you all....good luck.

Eat a sandwich at Primanti Brothers in PNC for me. Great stadium/sight line.

bronco militia
06-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Unfricking believable, 2 outs 2 strikes on Biggio, no one on base and a Walk Off Home Run. Man Fuentez is done. Now Hurdle is goint to blast the fans who have never played baseball in the pros for being upset again. Man what happened to all the momentum.

the June Swoon, baby!

:vermeil: :vermeil:

24champ
06-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Dodgers vs Madres Series.

Young vs Kuo in Round 1

Peavy vs Penny Round 2

Germano vs Billingsley Round 3

The prize after the series is for the lead of the NL West. "From the three months I've been here, any intradivision game is a dogfight," first-year Padres manager Bud Black said on the team's official Web site. "There's a familiarity there from Spring Training and years of playing each other. There's no weak sister in this division." Meanwhile the Dodgers took three of four from the Diamondbacks, scoring 23 runs in the three wins. "We like the way we're playing right now," manager Grady Little said. Martin raised his average to .299 and picked up his team-leading 51st RBI. He also has nine home runs and 13 stolen bases.

The tale of the tape between the pitchers tonight.

Chris Young (7-3, 2.08 ERA) looks to follow up one of the best starts of his career when he takes the mound for San Diego. The right-hander allowed only one hit ball over seven shutout innings in a 6-1 win over Boston on Saturday, walking two and striking out a season-high 11. Young, 3-0 in his seven starts since losing to St. Louis on May 12, has appealed a five-game suspension for his part in a bench-clearing brawl with the Chicago Cubs. He is 0-1 with a 4.00 ERA in two starts this season against Los Angeles, lasting only two innings in a 9-3 loss at Dodger Stadium on April 15. Young is 0-2 with a 2.97 ERA in seven career starts versus the Dodgers.

Los Angeles starter Hong-Chih Kuo (1-3, 6.33) will try to rebound from consecutive losses. The left-hander has allowed 11 runs and 10 hits over seven innings in his past two outings after holding opponents to two runs or fewer in his four previous starts. Kuo lasted 5 1-3 innings in a 9-4 loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday, yielding three runs and four hits with eight strikeouts.
He did not receive a decision in his first career start against the Padres on June 7, despite limiting them to one run and three hits in six innings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview;_ylt=AhrFh3P_DBFF5WMuH3dcgqQd0bYF?gid=2706 29119

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070626/capt.f766b7845388485ea6402bdf1781de70.dodgers_diam ondbacks_baseball_azrf110.jpg
VS.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070627/capt.3175e1ca37474689becb6be0c1e5a4ba.padres_giant s_baseball_fxpb109.jpg

theAPAOps5
06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I CAN'T ****ING BELIEVE IT. FUENTES HAS THE YIPPS LIKE NO OTHER! 4 straight blown saves.

SpringStein
06-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Fuentes again.

Two out no one on - end up giving up a 2 run HR for a walk off loss. 4th time in last 8 games.

Almost funny.

Play2win
06-29-2007, 11:38 PM
CUBS 7 in a row, coming off 2 straight sweeps... ;D

TheChamp24
06-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow, just wow. I just am speachless right now. This is just plain funny a little bit now. Losing 8 in a row, 4 of which should've been wins. Thank you Fuentes, thank you.

RhymesayersDU
06-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Jesus, the Rockies are back!

24champ
06-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Padres win round one winning 7-6, very good game though. Even though the Dodgers took a giant crap in the 4th they tried to mount a comeback but just couldn't do it. Tomorrow is going to be a huge game, Penny vs Peavy, looking forward to it.

DomCasual
06-30-2007, 03:15 AM
I wasn't able to watch tonight, fortunately. I don't really know what they can do at this point. Bring Speier up, maybe? He's leading the PCL in saves, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he was with the Rockies earlier in the season. Maybe Corpas could close? He seems to have the stuff for it - in theory, anyway. Affeldt closed for awhile in Kansas City - had 17 saves one year. Julio actually has 99 career saves, which I didn't realize.

I just don't see how they trot Fuentes out there tomorrow night, if there is a close scenario. I don't think it's good for him, and I sure as heck don't think it's good for the team. He needs to get his head on straight before he gets put back in that spot.

The other thing is that his trade value is gone. Ten days ago, there would have been teams standing in line for him. I can't imagine there would be much interest today.

Damn.

theAPAOps5
06-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Maybe teams are figuring out Fuentes' release point now. A big part of his game was his pitching motion. Kind of like Hideki Nomo and his tornado windup. Once teams learned where his release point was they started to light him up. Maybe teams have caught onto where Fuentes releases and the deception is gone.

TheChamp24
06-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Maybe teams are figuring out Fuentes' release point now. A big part of his game was his pitching motion. Kind of like Hideki Nomo and his tornado windup. Once teams learned where his release point was they started to light him up. Maybe teams have caught onto where Fuentes releases and the deception is gone.

Hideki Nomo? Combined 2 Japanese pitchers into one lol
Hideo Nomo and Hideki Irabu

As for Fuentes, he doesn't overpower and doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. You need at least the accuracy to be a closer on a contender. I thnk Corpas would be better because he could overpower people.

theAPAOps5
06-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Hideki Nomo? Combined 2 Japanese pitchers into one lol
Hideo Nomo and Hideki Irabu

As for Fuentes, he doesn't overpower and doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. You need at least the accuracy to be a closer on a contender. I thnk Corpas would be better because he could overpower people.

I knew that wasn't right. I was thinking Hideki Matsui when I typed that. Thanks for the correction. No wonder Colorado drafted a closer type pitcher.

SpringStein
06-30-2007, 02:12 PM
How are Brian Fuentes and Jake Plummer both good for your health?

Your lung capacity expands because you're always holding your breath. ;)

rubaiyat
06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Fuentes again.

Two out no one on - end up giving up a 2 run HR for a walk off loss. 4th time in last 8 games.

Almost funny.

I feel bad for Tulowitzki. Guy should have been baseball messiah for the Rox, and he just keeps getting trumped.

dbroncos31
06-30-2007, 03:43 PM
WAB, I don't know if you saw it on LL, but according to Jeff, Felix says that he will be pitching differently (ie changing speeds, varying pitch selection, doing what we all want him to) against the Royals in his next start. Obviously no guarantees, but I know that I will be waiting with bated breath.

If Weaver keeps up the decent-ness (or even just a 4.00/4.50 ERA) the rest of the way, and Felix gets even partway back to early April style, the pitching rotation could be good enough for a serious playoff run.

Big Sexy's starting to heat up, and if Bavasi/Grover decide to bring up Jones and DH RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUL, the offense will be great too.

The best news though, is that even if we end up missing the playoffs, this competitive season will be huge towards resigning Ichiro!.

Bronx33
06-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I just wondered what BB fans think of barry bonds, is his potential record to even to be taken seriously?

rubaiyat
06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I just wondered what BB fans think of barry bonds, is his potential record to even to be taken seriously?

Tough to say. He cheated his way to it, of that there is no doubt whether they were banned from baseball or not or whether we (as fans) ever get definitive proof he took them.

Then again, he did it against juiced pitching. Which is what I heard the whole time as the likely real action as sexy as the long ball was (both for bringing back the casual fans after the strike and the investigators now). I have heard from players in the minors during the most egregious point of this era that it WAS an arms race.

You had a choice of always being a minor leaguer or cheating. Cause everyone else was. Especially the "Sammy's" in the league. Those that never injected THEMSELVES with illegal drugs.

Because they had team trainers do it in their native countries where those drugs aren't illegal...hence they aren't lying.

WABronco
06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
WAB, I don't know if you saw it on LL, but according to Jeff, Felix says that he will be pitching differently (ie changing speeds, varying pitch selection, doing what we all want him to) against the Royals in his next start. Obviously no guarantees, but I know that I will be waiting with bated breath.

If Weaver keeps up the decent-ness (or even just a 4.00/4.50 ERA) the rest of the way, and Felix gets even partway back to early April style, the pitching rotation could be good enough for a serious playoff run.

Big Sexy's starting to heat up, and if Bavasi/Grover decide to bring up Jones and DH RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUL, the offense will be great too.

The best news though, is that even if we end up missing the playoffs, this competitive season will be huge towards resigning Ichiro!.

'Bout F'ing time...

I'm beginning to think that they need to either move Vidro to the bench or deal Guillen for a pitcher. I doubt either will happen because of their vet-minded manager, but I think it would improve the team.

OrangeShadow
06-30-2007, 06:19 PM
jacoby ellisbury making his MLB debut tonight in CF !Booya!

SpringStein
06-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I doubt that even the Rockies bullpen can't blow a 5-0 lead in the 9th.

Right?

Paladin
06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I can't get them on TV here. Did they win? Can you give an update?

SpringStein
06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Don't kniow why, it wasn't on.

5-0 final. Francis had 7 shutout innings. Here's the scoring summary:

4th
Holliday drove in Matsui with a double
Atkins had a SF to drive in Holliday

5th
Spillborgs drove in Tulo (with 2 outs)

8th
Atkins drove in Matsui with a single
Hawpe doubled in Helton

Matsui had 3 hits, Atkins 2 rbi's

TheChamp24
07-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Francis rebounded with an outstanding start. To think we could be in line to sweep the Astros in a 4 game series if Fuentes didn't screw it up. Could easily have been 5-4 on the road trip instead of 1-8. Sigh.

Pendejo
07-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Horrible umpiring in tonight's tilt between the Madres and the Dahyers. Both Peavy and Penny were brilliant while negotiating an ever changing strike zone. I guess fate took over when after Hiram Bocachica got called out after clearly stealing second...Russell Martin got called out after sliding in under the tag at third.

Something has to be done about these umpires. Why the hell do they get vacation days in the middle of the season. They call up these hacks from AAA who give up way to early on pitches, and basically don't know their asses from their elbows.

24champ
07-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Horrible umpiring in tonight's tilt between the Madres and the Dahyers. Both Peavy and Penny were brilliant while negotiating an ever changing strike zone. I guess fate took over when after Hiram Bocachica got called out after clearly stealing second...Russell Martin got called out after sliding in under the tag at third.

Something has to be done about these umpires. Why the hell do they get vacation days in the middle of the season. They call up these hacks from AAA who give up way to early on pitches, and basically don't know their asses from their elbows.

Agreed, it was a great game until these umps had to ruin it...that and Bombko.:oyvey:

Oh well, take our lumps and move on to tomorrow.

Bronco LB 59
07-01-2007, 03:58 AM

I agree. The egos of umpires today are bigger than they've ever been. It's unbelievable how hostile they are these days. Umps used to be just business on the field, but these guys nowadays take things too personally. Some of them simply don't realize that they are doing their job when we don't know who they are.

The umpiring profession needs more guys like Doug Harvey, a man so well respected by players they dubbed him "God"!

Pendejo
07-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Agreed, it was a great game until these umps had to ruin it...that and Bombko.:oyvey:

Oh well, take our lumps and move on to tomorrow.

The umps were equally bad for both sides. I thought the Madres were going to lose...until I was getting another shot of Rum and I heard Scully say that Tomko was pitching. He's just perfectly marinated meat.

"Call a Real Cop" and Penny both did an admirable job pitching while never knowing where this ump's strike zone was. It change from half inning to half inning.

Whoever was the home plate umpire on Friday was great. His zone never changed.

Clearly as a Dahyer fan...you're used to taking your lumps at the bats and gloves, and wicked bad change-ups of the Madres.

One more thing...never listen to a Dahyer's TV broadcast if you have a choice. It's two hours and change of Vin Scully talking very slow, and fvcking sh!t up. Why doesn't he have a color man anymore?

SpringStein
07-01-2007, 09:00 AM
From Patrick Saunders in this morning's Post regarding the recent Rockies travails:

SS Troy Tulowitzki has three times hit home runs to put the Rockies ahead in their last at-bat only to see the team lose. No other active player has done this. In fact no other player in the past three decades has done this in his career, let alone in the same week.

Closer Brian Fuentes is the first closer since the Yankees' Dave Righetti in 1988 to blow four consecutive save opportunities for his team. Before this road trip, Fuentes had never blown two straight saves.

The Rockies' loss Monday was devastating and historic. Research courtesy of Elias Sports Bureau revealed that the last time a team scored six or more runs in the ninth inning to take the lead, but still lose, occurred July 8, 1982. The Reds scored six runs to take an 8-4 lead, only to see the Pirates score five in their final at-bat.

According to Elias, the Rockies are the first team since the 1978 Cleveland Indians to suffer three walkoff losses in the same road trip after taking the lead in the top half of the final inning.

24champ
07-01-2007, 01:21 PM
The umps were equally bad for both sides. I thought the Madres were going to lose...until I was getting another shot of Rum and I heard Scully say that Tomko was pitching. He's just perfectly marinated meat.

"Call a Real Cop" and Penny both did an admirable job pitching while never knowing where this ump's strike zone was. It change from half inning to half inning.

Whoever was the home plate umpire on Friday was great. His zone never changed.

Clearly as a Dahyer fan...you're used to taking your lumps at the bats and gloves, and wicked bad change-ups of the Madres.

One more thing...never listen to a Dahyer's TV broadcast if you have a choice. It's two hours and change of Vin Scully talking very slow, and f***ing sh!t up. Why doesn't he have a color man anymore?

Oh no you didn't....you talking **** about Vinny? He is a legend. Either way sounds like you had too much rum last night Pendejo...I would lay off that stuff buddy.;D

TheChamp24
07-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I remember listening to a Dodgers broadcast on mlb.tv earlier in the season, and it was hilarious how angered he got when a fan ran onto the field. He dispises that so greatly.
And personally, I don't think the baseball umpires are doing that horrible of a job. If they get a call wrong, usually its an extremely close play that would be tough to call. When we see replays, like the Martin slide, we see them in slow mo, the umps have to make a call in a split second in live action. It might help if there was "instant replay", but I don't think its warranted. Would slow the game down even more.

24champ
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I remember listening to a Dodgers broadcast on mlb.tv earlier in the season, and it was hilarious how angered he got when a fan ran onto the field. He dispises that so greatly.
And personally, I don't think the baseball umpires are doing that horrible of a job. If they get a call wrong, usually its an extremely close play that would be tough to call. When we see replays, like the Martin slide, we see them in slow mo, the umps have to make a call in a split second in live action. It might help if there was "instant replay", but I don't think its warranted. Would slow the game down even more.
First, Vinny is old school, doesn't like it when someone turns baseball into a circus, secondly he is a class act. When the Dodgers were having parking lot problems during the home opener earlier Vinny could have taken a private lane to get out of the stadium quicker but instead stayed in the lane with the rest of the fans.

Regarding the umps, it wasn't just the Martin slide, strike zone was all over the place from inning to inning. The Umps sucked last night.

TheChamp24
07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Good lord Rodrigo Lopez has pitched horrible today. Walked the pitcher, control has been off, throwing meatballs up there. Man, get him out of there. Maybe the offense can wake up too.

MechanicalBull
07-01-2007, 03:40 PM
SEATTLE (AP) -- Mike Hargrove resigned as manager of the Seattle Mariners (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/sea/;_ylt=AkQuvXX3WVP9WDg0MwAz2c6pu7YF) on Sunday, saying his "passion has begun to fade" for baseball even though his team is the hottest club in the majors.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ar347n2pPhtGvwwXW4HV8FYRvLYF?slug=ap-mariners-hargroveresigns&prov=ap&type=lgns

SpringStein
07-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Good lord Rodrigo Lopez has pitched horrible today. Walked the pitcher, control has been off, throwing meatballs up there. Man, get him out of there. Maybe the offense can wake up too.

6 down. Not much of a chance. In fact, none.

theAPAOps5
07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Man I have the Boston game on the radio and the Rockies on mute on TV everytime I look up its another 2 more runs.

SpringStein
07-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Man I have the Boston game on the radio and the Rockies on mute on TV everytime I look up its another 2 more runs.

At least it feels much better being down 12-0 than losing on a 2 run hr in the bottom of the 9th. ;)

PatsWin2002
07-01-2007, 05:42 PM
That loud sucking noise you hear is the Red Sox.

I hate it when they get like this. You know they are in a rut and they play like they are just waiting to lose....and you know it's coming, but you watch anyway. :)

elsid13
07-01-2007, 05:45 PM
It is amazing how silent the bats have been all season. Big Papa needs to stop arguing balls and strikes and start taking the ball the other way instead pulling everything. Tito needs to shake something up, because the pitching has been amazing. 7 losses of last 10 I believe.

OrangeShadow
07-01-2007, 05:46 PM
yeah they need to figure something out. like finding a real shortstop!

elsid13
07-01-2007, 05:53 PM
yeah they need to figure something out. like finding a real shortstop!

What don't like the fact we have highest paid pinch runner in the league???

OrangeShadow
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
not when the dumbass cant figure out to slide when trying to steal third with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth in a one run game.

elsid13
07-01-2007, 07:03 PM
not when the dumbass cant figure out to slide when trying to steal third with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth in a one run game.

Tito didn't talk to him until today. I couldn't believe how Beckett just fell apart that 4th inning

MechanicalBull
07-01-2007, 07:39 PM
STARTERS
POS PLAYER TEAM ALL-STAR GAME
C Ivan Rodriguez Detroit Tigers 14th
1B David Ortiz Boston Red Sox 4th
2B Placido Polanco Detroit Tigers 1st
3B Alex Rodriguez New York Yankees 11th
SS Derek Jeter New York Yankees 8th
OF Vladimir Guerrero Los Angeles Angels 8th
OF Magglio Ordonez Detroit Tigers 6th
OF Ichiro Suzuki Seattle Mariners 7th

PITCHERS
RHP Josh Beckett Boston Red Sox 1st
RHP John Lackey Los Angeles Angels 1st
LHP Johan Santana Minnesota Twins 3rd
RHP Justin Verlander Detroit Tigers 1st
LHP C.C. Sabathia Cleveland Indians 3rd
RHP Dan Haren Oakland Athletics 1st
RHP Gil Meche Kansas City Royals 1st
RHP Jon Papelbon Boston Red Sox 2nd
RHP Francisco Rodriguez Los Angeles Angels 2nd
RHP J.J. Putz Seattle Mariners 1st
RHP Bobby Jenks Chicago White Sox 2nd

RESERVES
C Victor Martinez Cleveland Indians 2nd
C Jorge Posada New York Yankees 5th
1B Justin Morneau Minnesota Twins 1st
2B Brian Roberts Baltimore Orioles 2nd
3B Mike Lowell Boston Red Sox 4th
SS Carlos Guillen Detroit Tigers 2nd
SS Michael Young Texas Rangers 4th
OF Torii Hunter Minnesota Twins 2nd
OF Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox 11th
OF Alex Rios Toronto Blue Jays 2nd
OF Grady Sizemore Cleveland Indians 2nd

MechanicalBull
07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
<TABLE class="tablehead widetable" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=4>STARTERS</TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD>POS</TD><TD>PLAYER</TD><TD>TEAM</TD><TD>ALL-STAR GAME</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>C</TD><TD>Russell Martin</TD><TD>Los Angeles Dodgers</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>1B</TD><TD>Prince Fielder</TD><TD>Milwaukee Brewers</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>2B</TD><TD>Chase Utley</TD><TD>Philadelphia Phillies</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>3B</TD><TD>David Wright</TD><TD>New York Mets</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>SS</TD><TD>Jose Reyes</TD><TD>New York Mets</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Barry Bonds</TD><TD>San Francisco Giants</TD><TD>14th</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Carlos Beltran</TD><TD>New York Mets</TD><TD>4th</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Ken Griffey Jr.</TD><TD>Cincinnati Reds</TD><TD>13th</TD></TR><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=4>PITCHERS</TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD>POS</TD><TD>PLAYER</TD><TD>TEAM</TD><TD>ALL-STAR GAME</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Brad Penny</TD><TD>Los Angeles Dodgers</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Jake Peavy</TD><TD>San Diego Padres</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>LHP</TD><TD>Cole Hamels</TD><TD>Philadelphia Phillies</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Ben Sheets</TD><TD>Milwaukee Brewers</TD><TD>3rd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>John Smoltz</TD><TD>Atlanta Braves</TD><TD>8th</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Trevor Hoffman</TD><TD>San Diego Padres</TD><TD>6th</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>LHP</TD><TD>Billy Wagner</TD><TD>New York Mets</TD><TD>5th</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Francisco Cordero</TD><TD>Milwaukee Brewers</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>LHP</TD><TD>Brian Fuentes</TD><TD>Colorado Rockies</TD><TD>3rd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Jose Valverde</TD><TD>Arizona Diamondbacks</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>RHP</TD><TD>Takashi Saito</TD><TD>Los Angeles Dodgers</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=4>RESERVES</TD></TR><TR class=colhead vAlign=top><TD>POS</TD><TD>PLAYER</TD><TD>TEAM</TD><TD>ALL-STAR GAME</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>C</TD><TD>Brian McCann</TD><TD>Atlanta Braves</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>1B</TD><TD>Albert Pujols</TD><TD>St. Louis Cardinals</TD><TD>6th</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>1B</TD><TD>Derrek Lee</TD><TD>Chicago Cubs</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>1B</TD><TD>Dmitri Young</TD><TD>Washington Nationals</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>2B</TD><TD>Orlando Hudson</TD><TD>Arizona Diamondbacks</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>2B</TD><TD>Freddy Sanchez</TD><TD>Pittsburgh Pirates</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>3B</TD><TD>Miguel Cabrera</TD><TD>Florida Marlins</TD><TD>4th</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>SS</TD><TD>J.J. Hardy</TD><TD>Milwaukee Brewers</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Alfonso Soriano</TD><TD>Chicago Cubs</TD><TD>6th</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Carlos Lee</TD><TD>Houston Astros</TD><TD>3rd</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Aaron Rowand</TD><TD>Philadelphia Phillies</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD>OF</TD><TD>Matt Holliday</TD><TD>Colorado Rockies</TD><TD>2nd</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MechanicalBull
07-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Here are the list of players to vote on at mlb.com to be the last roster spot for each league.

National League
Tom Gorzelanny, LHP, Pirates
Roy Oswalt, RHP, Astros
Brandon Webb, RHP, Diamondbacks
Chris Young, RHP, Padres

American League
Jeremy Bonderman, RHP, Tigers
Kelvim Escobar, RHP, Angels
Roy Halladay, RHP, Blue Jays
Pat Neshek, RHP, Twins
Hideki Okajima, LHP, Red Sox

OrangeShadow
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
all pitchers?^ and no youkilis BOOOOOOOOO

elsid13
07-01-2007, 08:38 PM
youkilis got screwed. W

dbroncos31
07-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, WAB, no more veteran-minded manager.

I have to say that I am worried that there is something seriously wrong with Hargrove. From the way McLaren was upset at the conference to the stunning timing of it, I just don't quite buy the "dwindling passion" argument.

As long as there isn't something wrong with Mike or his family, I really like this move. Managers don't make that big of a difference anyway, and hopefully McLaren will be willing to play AJ (assuming Bavasi will call him up). One thing that I will miss is Hargrove's BP management this year, which has been outstanding.

Watching this team these last couple months has been unbelievable. Weaver seems to be the real deal since coming off the DL, and if Felix does what he says he'll do, the rotation will be significantly improved. I would also like to trade Guillen, as he'll likely be a Type C free agent (no comp. I believe) if we don't pick up his option at the end of the year. And I want Vidro out of the lineup immediately.

Lineup:
Ichiro CF
Lopez 2B
Johjima C
Sexson 1B (assuming he continues to heat up)
Ibanez DH
Beltre 3B
Guillen RF
Jones LF
Betancourt SS

Rotation:
King Felix
Washburn
Beluga Tits
Fear
Dream Weaver

Bullpen:
Same but maybe Morrow to AA so he can begin to start.

J.J. Putz is a god.

dbroncos31
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
hahaha it changed the other word for boobies into boobies

OrangeShadow
07-01-2007, 09:15 PM
hahaha it changed the other word for boobies into boobies

:saywhat:

SouthStndJunkie
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Pudge, Polanco, and Ordonez get the start in the all-star game.

Verlander makes it as well.

Carlos Guillen makes it as a reserve.

The Tigers are well represented.

Bronco LB 59
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
The real problems with the All-Star squads are the breakdown of the pitching staffs. The current NL staff has five starters and six closers. Starting pitchers are the real stars of the game, not closers. Don't get me wrong, the relievers should get love, but not primarily based on a save statistic.

It makes me sick to think that only one of Chris Young, Roy Oswalt, Carlos Zambrano and Brandon Webb is going to get in, meanwhile we have to watch Brian Fuentes or Jose Valverde take the ball during the game.

I give Leyland credit for putting Pat Neshek and Hideki Okajima on the final vote, setup guys generally put out bigger fires than closers without much fan fare.

dbroncos31
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
:saywhat:
i was attempting to use miguel batista's anagram, which is I Am Beluga T*** (rhymes with bits). however, the filter changed T*** to boobies

dbroncos31
07-01-2007, 09:47 PM
also i'm easily amused

24champ
07-01-2007, 09:59 PM
The real problems with the All-Star squads are the breakdown of the pitching staffs. The current NL staff has five starters and six closers. Starting pitchers are the real stars of the game, not closers. Don't get me wrong, the relievers should get love, but not primarily based on a save statistic.

It makes me sick to think that only one of Chris Young, Roy Oswalt, Carlos Zambrano and Brandon Webb is going to get in, meanwhile we have to watch Brian Fuentes or Jose Valverde take the ball during the game.

I give Leyland credit for putting Pat Neshek and Hideki Okajima on the final vote, setup guys generally put out bigger fires than closers without much fan fare.

LB52 Carlos Zambrano gets my vote for the final spot...

I keed I keed.

Chris Young actually does get my vote because he has been kicking ass this year.

Congrats to Brad Penny, Russell Martin (Who has 15 stolen bases, most since 1905 for a catcher in the Dodgers Organ-eye-zation)and SAITO-SAN!

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/images/email/y2007/275x235_allstars.jpg

MechanicalBull
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Jerry Narron fired from Reds.

CINCINNATI (Ticker) - The Cincinnati Reds (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/cin/;_ylt=AtNklS3yzKiutD7n8bXcTnLavrYF) have fired manager Jerry Narron. He will be replaced by Pete Mackanin, who will serve as interim manager. An official announcement will come at a press conference Monday at noon at Great American Ball Park.

theAPAOps5
07-01-2007, 10:42 PM
It is amazing how silent the bats have been all season. Big Papa needs to stop arguing balls and strikes and start taking the ball the other way instead pulling everything. Tito needs to shake something up, because the pitching has been amazing. 7 losses of last 10 I believe.

The reason he is pulling so much is he has a bum hamstring. Its making it so he can't drive with power. Towards the end of his swing you will see him bail out a lot with his hips and legs. He is relying on his upper body strength too much to compensate.

ohiobronco2
07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
If Bonds retires at years end with the record, who will be the next player to catch him? I know A-Rod is well ahead of Bonds pace, but I hope Griffey Jr. can somehow find a way to make it happen. If projections pan out for the remainder of the year Griffey will have 608 and Bonds will have 768. If Griffey plays until he is 42 like Bonds is currently (And Bonds retires), he would have to hit 32 homeruns a year for the next 5 years to tie the record. I hope Ken gets a shot.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
If Bonds retires at years end with the record, who will be the next player to catch him? I know A-Rod is well ahead of Bonds pace, but I hope Griffey Jr. can somehow find a way to make it happen. If projections pan out for the remainder of the year Griffey will have 608 and Bonds will have 768. If Griffey plays until he is 42 like Bonds is currently (And Bonds retires), he would have to hit 32 homeruns a year for the next 5 years to tie the record. I hope Ken gets a shot.

I don't think Griffey can stay healthy enough to make a run at the record.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Props to Roger Clemens on win #350 tonight.

ohiobronco2
07-03-2007, 07:07 AM

Yeah I know, I'm just holding out hope. I mean, how much bad luck can a guy have?

Crowpointer
07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Man I got goosebumps when Ellsbury scored from second on the passed ball and lept into the air.

Drek
07-03-2007, 09:21 AM

He could as an AL DH. Wouldn't surprise me if thats what he ends up doing before too long. I'm sure Oakland would give him a call ASAP, they like to run a revolving door at DH, and Seattle would probably be open to his return plus their organization has a history of locking up DH long term with a single talent if available (Edgar Martinez).

The guy can still hit a ton, that hasn't changed. You move him to DH and I think he could pretty easily hit more than 32 homers a season. In fact, assuming he does stay on pace this year and finish with 608 homeruns I could see him catching Bonds within as little as 4 years depending on what park he calls home.

TheChamp24
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I was just wondering if there was ever as big a season momento wise as this year has been.
Already:
Frank Thomas 500th HR
Sammy Sosa 600th HR
Craig Biggio 3,000th hit
Roger Clemens 350th win
Trevor Hoffman 500th save

Will most likely happen based on pace so far:
Alex Rodriguez 500th HR
Ken Griffey, Jr 600th HR
Tom Glavine 300th win

Might happen:
Manny Ramirez 500th HR
Greg Maddux 350th win

Potential to have 2 hitters hit their 600th HR, 3 to hit their 500th HR's, a 300 game winner, 2 350 game winners, a 3,000th hit and a 500th save. Damn, this is one heck of a year for milestones. If I'm missing anybody, sorry, but some of you might wanna take this in becuase this doesn't happen every year.

Oh, and I guess I COULD add Barry Bonds asterisk for breaking Aaron's record...

elsid13
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Man I got goosebumps when Ellsbury scored from second on the passed ball and lept into the air.

kid got wheels, but he needs to add some muscle and learn to slap that ball the other way. Bright future if he stay healthy.

OrangeShadow
07-03-2007, 06:08 PM

i saw that on the highlights when i got home from football, i nearly spit out my water when i saw it

MechanicalBull
07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
On sportscenter earlier they were saying what stories are coming up and they said something along the lines of "Roger Clemens won his 350th and moves one step closer to the all time record, that story coming up"

I didn't catch the segment but how can they be serious when talking about that? He has 350 wins and Cy Young holds the record with 511. Maybe Clemens will play until he is 60.

MechanicalBull
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Bonds with 751

TheChamp24
07-05-2007, 03:08 AM
So....how bout dem Rockies?
lol

Paladin
07-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Rockies are an enigma wrapped in a mystery with riddles........ Whipped up on the Mets tonight. Too bad the road trip might have broke the season's chances for them. But with all the division games coming up after the All-star break, who knows?

Hogan11
07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, well, well.....

It appears my Buccos have "turned the corner" so to speak....taking two out of three from WSN was no big thing, but to take Three out of four from the Brewers in convincing fashion...that's something else. For you fantasy geeks out there, if LaRoache is available, grab him now...he's heating up big time.

Bring on the Cubs for it's never too late in the Comedy Central. :thumbs:

OrangeShadow
07-05-2007, 08:36 PM
and the sox just pourrrrrrrrrrrring it on 11-2

elsid13
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
It is the Triple AAA team that is Tampa Bay. Good News for the BoSox is that we face them another 16 times this seaon.

SouthStndJunkie
07-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I tell you what, Andrew Miller, a rookie left-handed pitcher for Detroit, is going to be something special. He is dealing tonight against the Red Sox. The Tigers have done a great job of building this team.

7 IP 3 H 1 ER 4 BB 6 Ks

MechanicalBull
07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Twins beat White Sox 20-14. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AsPY.wtzRN4aWgEdguT1qKQRvLYF?gid=270 706204

Griffey hits his 586th HR tying Frank Robinson for 6th all time.

A-Rod with his 29th HR to go along with 82 rbi.

Hogan11
07-06-2007, 11:20 PM
The Pirates are on fire!

DomCasual
07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Come on, Jose Mesa! Stay true to form.

Sassy
07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
The Pirates are on fire!

^5

Requiem
07-07-2007, 12:20 AM
The Twins absolutely molested today. WOW.

WABronco
07-07-2007, 12:29 AM
...Man crush alert.

Requiem
07-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Yay for Beltre!

Requiem
07-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Seriously, who let Jason Ellison bat?

Requiem
07-07-2007, 12:44 AM
WA. . .

When are Jones abd Balentien making it to the big show!? :(

DomCasual
07-07-2007, 01:22 AM
YES! This team is going to end up killing me.

WABronco
07-07-2007, 01:37 AM
It sounds like either could play right now, but it'd be a risky move to bring either one of them up when the team is playing like they are. The only move I see them being able to make would be to send Vidro to the bench and move Raul to DH, opening a spot for either youngster.

As usual, we've got about 4 or 5 relievers in the minors who could come up and pitch now and pitch well.

Remember that Triunfel guy I told you about? Just got promoted to High A ball, at 17 years old, and he's 5 for 9 in his first two games with a 2B.

http://prospectinsider.com/

^^^Good site for M's prospects.

Paladin
07-07-2007, 01:39 AM
7-6 in 11, Rockies!!! Hawpe hits a dinger in the bottom of the 11th with 2 outs and a 1-2 pitch! That was clutch!

Helton was spectacular in the top of the 11th, and Atkins and Hawpe again in the bottom. Torrealba with a single to bring in Atkins.

Nice job. Rockies are now at 500 again.....

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but right now, that was a heck of a game.......

Requiem
07-07-2007, 02:21 AM
It sounds like either could play right now, but it'd be a risky move to bring either one of them up when the team is playing like they are. The only move I see them being able to make would be to send Vidro to the bench and move Raul to DH, opening a spot for either youngster.

As usual, we've got about 4 or 5 relievers in the minors who could come up and pitch now and pitch well.

Remember that Triunfel guy I told you about? Just got promoted to High A ball, at 17 years old, and he's 5 for 9 in his first two games with a 2B.

http://prospectinsider.com/

^^^Good site for M's prospects.

This pleases me. :yayaya:

WABronco
07-07-2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/07/blog-gets-throu.html

Blog Gets Through To Felix Hernandez

If you've watched any Felix Hernandez starts prior to today, you probably noticed a pattern. He tries to establish his fastball early on, throwing the pitch constantly. His heater is a fine pitch and plenty fast, but he leaves it up in the zone sometimes. And a 96 mph fastball can be easy to hit when you see ten of them in a row (relatively speaking - obviously I still couldn't hit it). Hernandez has an amazing offspeed repertoire, especially his curveball.

The die-hard fans at U.S.S. Mariner have been painfully aware of this trend for quite some time. Frustration boiled over on June 27th, when Dave Cameron wrote a post: An Open Letter To Rafael Chaves (http://ussmariner.com/2007/06/27/an-open-letter-to-rafael-chaves/). Chaves is the Mariners' pitching coach. The letter pleaded for Chaves to make Felix mix up his pitches early on.

Cameron probably never anticipated that Chaves would actually read the letter. But he did, and the pitching coach actually gave a copy to Felix for him to read (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2007/07/hernandez_keys_40_win.html). Chaves has been trying to hammer this point home with Hernandez, but the letter helped reinforce the need for better pitch selection. Hernandez tossed eight scoreless innings today, crediting the letter for his early success. How cool is that? Blogs actually can make a difference. Open sentence to Dave Cameron: Mariners fans, fantasy baseball owners, and baseball fans in general thank you for getting through to The King. Next up, teach Rich Hill a third pitch.

Hilarious.

Another blogger has actually been conversing with Felix via his MySpace, about his pitching...

I think I'm going to try and write an open letter to their general manager, regarding the current roster and one Adam Jones.

MechanicalBull
07-08-2007, 12:33 AM
A lot of stuff went down on Saturday. Bedard strikes out 15 while facing the minimum against Texas. Angels vs Yanks and Boston vs Detroit go 13 innings while the Mets vs. Houston goes 17. Fielder hits 2 hr tying him with A-Rod for the MLB lead.

Hogan11
07-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Pirates lost....thank Vanlotchanwhatever.

Am I the only one out here with a intense dislike for the Brewers? C'Mon, it just can't be....

Sassy
07-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Awww....Hawks won.

MechanicalBull
07-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Pirates lost....thank Vanlotchanwhatever.

Am I the only one out here with a intense dislike for the Brewers? C'Mon, it just can't be....

I don't dislike the Brewers but I do dislike Bud Selig a lot, does that count?

Some trade news and rumors as well. the Rockies have told opposing teams they are currently buyers on the market; that could change depending on how they perform leading up to the July 31 trading deadline. They have inquired about Kansas City reliever Octavio Dotel. Also, Pittsburgh's Salomon Torres, a pitcher they have liked in the past, has requested a trade.

The Sox will retain control over Scott Podsednik after this season, but with manager Ozzie Guillen calling the oft-injured outfielder ''unreliable,'' expect the team to trade him or let him go rather than pay $3 million to bring him back and hope he stays healthy in 2008.

There have been rumors that Shapiro has talked to the Texas Rangers about relievers Eric Gagne and Akinori Otsuka. Moreover, the Rangers are believed to be willing to move Mark Teixeira, though because he's a first baseman, it would be difficult for the Tribe to accommodate him.

The Houston Astros seem willing to move late-inning reliever Brad Lidge. If so, there will be plenty of competition for his services

The status of left-handed ace Mark Buehrle is looking murkier. Agent Jeff Berry reaffirmed in an e-mail that his client won't budge from a full no-trade clause the White Sox are reluctant to give. With less than four weeks before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline, Ken Williams appears ready to fulfill his vow of making changes he promised less than two weeks ago. "We'll have some personnel moves the rest of the season, I guarantee you that," Williams said before breaking away from reporters to conduct a 20-minute telephone conversation. While major-league scouts have descended on U.S. Cellular Field the past three weeks, Williams has dispatched his talent evaluators to various minor-league towns. He has attracted interest from the Mets, Braves, Phillies, Dodgers and Red Sox. The Red Sox might possess the right combination in Double-A pitcher Clay Buchholz and infielder Jed Lowrie, as well as recently promoted outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury. The Dodgers also have the young depth to provide a match with the White Sox.

Hogan11
07-08-2007, 12:52 AM

I'll take it...I'm real tired of everyone wetting their wad over Fielder.

WABronco
07-08-2007, 12:58 AM

You can say that again...

MechanicalBull
07-08-2007, 12:58 AM

I do have to say that Fielder is having a tremendous year though. In about two weeks the Giants do play at the Brewers. I would find it funny and ironic if Bonds does break the record in Aaron's and Selig's backyard.

Hey Bud what should we do if Barry breaks the most prestigious record in all of sports in Milwauke?
http://images.sportsnetwork.com/baseball/mlb/allsport/selig_allstara.jpg

dbroncos31
07-08-2007, 01:03 AM
This Felix thing is incredible. I can't even imagine another world class athlete actually listening to what a blogger has to say. Big props to Dave and Jeff for this.

Seriously though, Beltre is on fire right now, and if it weren't for the injury in early June, he could be having an extraordinary season right now. Hopefully this awesome Beltre continues to dominate after the All Star break.

And if we call up Jones to play Left and DH Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuul and eliminate the black hole that is Vidro, we can give the Angels a serious run for their money. Cabrera, Willits, and Figgins are not going to bat this well all year, as O-Cab's expected average is .259.

Go M's!

Paladin
07-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Rockies, 6-3. Spillsbourg (?) with a HR.....

DomCasual
07-08-2007, 02:32 AM
IF Brian Fuentes doesn't go into a weird, almost unprecedented funk, the Rockies are 48-39, 1 1/2 out of first place.

I'm ever so cautiously starting to believe this team might be playing meaningful games in September. Their lineup is rock solid, top to bottom. Their starting pitching has been decent, save the 1-9 road trip. Their pen has been solid, and at times great. Their defense is the best in the NL. I'm liking it.

Hotwheelz
07-08-2007, 03:32 AM
IF Brian Fuentes doesn't go into a weird, almost unprecedented funk, the Rockies are 48-39, 1 1/2 out of first place.

Huh?

elsid13
07-08-2007, 08:39 AM
And the BoSox bats fail them again in 13 (3 to 2). It amazing the quality pitching they are getting, but Manny hasn't done crap this year.

Crowpointer
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
And the BoSox bats fail them again in 13 (3 to 2). It amazing the quality pitching they are getting, but Manny hasn't done crap this year.

The pain of the DP he hit into in the 9th with Coco at third is still lingering.

elsid13
07-08-2007, 10:06 AM
The pain of the DP he hit into in the 9th with Coco at third is still lingering.

teams are actually walking Ortiz to get to Manny, I never thought I would see that. But I need to spread a little discontent with DL Drew, he had opportunity to deliver a couple times too last night.

ESPN Buster Olney (sp) named Lugo the least valuable player in the AL for the 1st half, great signing wunderkin

DomCasual
07-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Huh?

Which part are you saying "Huh" to - the 48-39 part, or the part about Brian Fuentes going into an almost unprecedented funk?

TheChamp24
07-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Huh?

Well, if Fuentes didn't blow those 4 saves in a row on that road trip, the Rockies would be 48-39. Thats what their record should be, but no, its 44-43.

I'm happy with a .500 record though so far.

Bronco LB 59
07-08-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0706dbnotesc0707.html

When Arizona sent slumping Carlos Quentin down the other day, the Diamondbacks considered jumping 19 year old Justin Upton from Double-A Mobile. Upton has been playing right field during some starts as a possible dress rehearsal for a call-up, since the D-Backs already have Chris Young in CF.

Look how nice and easy this kid's swing is. Every decade a megastar comes out of high school at the first overall pick. In the 80s, it was Ken Griffey Jr. (1987). In the 90s, it was ARod (1993). This decade it will be Upton.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ET37nuH7hgw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ET37nuH7hgw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

theAPAOps5
07-08-2007, 01:48 PM
So history can be made today if the Rockies beat Philly for the sweep. It will be Philly's 10,000 loss first team in history to 10,000 losses.

elsid13
07-08-2007, 01:50 PM

Some trade news and rumors as well.

The status of left-handed ace Mark Buehrle is looking murkier. Agent Jeff Berry reaffirmed in an e-mail that his client won't budge from a full no-trade clause the White Sox are reluctant to give. With less than four weeks before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline, Ken Williams appears ready to fulfill his vow of making changes he promised less than two weeks ago. "We'll have some personnel moves the rest of the season, I guarantee you that," Williams said before breaking away from reporters to conduct a 20-minute telephone conversation. While major-league scouts have descended on U.S. Cellular Field the past three weeks, Williams has dispatched his talent evaluators to various minor-league towns. He has attracted interest from the Mets, Braves, Phillies, Dodgers and Red Sox. The Red Sox might possess the right combination in Double-A pitcher Clay Buchholz and infielder Jed Lowrie, as well as recently promoted outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury. The Dodgers also have the young depth to provide a match with the White Sox.

Theo has already stated that Buchholz and Ellsbury (plus John Lester) are not available for any price. Those three guys are the future of the franchise and ain't going anywhere.