PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Little anti AL are we? Take a chill, both leauges are essentially the same..dman

Nah, the National League is the Senior Circuit and the American League will always be the inferior Junior Circuit.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Nah, the National League is the Senior Circuit and the American League will always be the inferior Junior Circuit.

The evidence says otherwise.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Somebody is smoking some serious hash. Have you checked the records for interleague paly, allstar games and recent WS games? As of now, NL is an inferior product compared to the AL. Even with the Cards winning the WS, the AL was a much stronger league overall. But, your Padres fanatic personality is showing.

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
The AL plays Finleyball and the NL plays baseball.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.

If they allow a DH hitter in the AL, of course the rules would stay the same. If you are talking about getting rid of the DH all together, then you might have a valid point. Having the DH rule gives the NL an advantage they so desperatly need in recent years.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I used to be a "baseball purist", but watching pitchers bat is pitiful 98% of the time. It allows teams to pitch around other players and effectively reduce the amount of offense by a significant amount.

This game is not what it was when it was invented. It's all about pitching...and pitching is big money.

The only argument against a DH is that the games are longer.....oh, and that thing about pitchers beaning batters and never having to get in the box themselves.

The DH is the main reason why the NL is the inferior league.

elsid13
10-21-2007, 01:51 PM
I hate watching pitchers attempt to freaking hit the ball, most gawd awful thing in the world.

elsid13
10-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I love the timing right before game seven. I wonder how long they were sitting on this story? Was Byrd on the George Mitchell report which revealed several big names during a conference call last week? From what I understand, MLB is waiting for a convenient time after the World Series to release the Mitchell report. Makes you wonder if this is a ploy by FOX to get the Red Sox into the World Series to juice their ratings. Not to mention, ESPN is such a pro-New England media outlet. This stinks. I hope the Indians come together and prevail.

Been hanging out with Mcgaffey in the Politic section again, huh?

It was the SF chronicle that publised the story this morning, not ESPIN or FOX.

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I used to be a "baseball purist", but watching pitchers bat is pitiful 98% of the time. It allows teams to pitch around other players and effectively reduce the amount of offense by a significant amount.

This game is not what it was when it was invented. It's all about pitching...and pitching is big money.

The only argument against a DH is that the games are longer.....oh, and that thing about pitchers beaning batters and never having to get in the box themselves.

The DH is the main reason why the NL is the inferior league.

Face it, the AL has the money. That's the main reason. They buy the players, ergo they buy the championships. Also, they have the DH which is akin to putting a windmill on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach. They can hit and run nine players. They can buy great old hitters who can no longer field in the NL and let them play goofy ball in the AL. Baseball is baseball. If you take a position in the field, you should take a position at bat. It's like a Mulligan in golf. Drunks love it. Golfers don't.

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I hate watching pitchers attempt to freaking hit the ball, most gawd awful thing in the world.

You must not have noticed Owings on the DBacks.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Face it, the AL has the money. That's the main reason. They buy the players, ergo they buy the championships. Also, they have the DH which is akin to putting a windmill on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach. They can hit and run nine players. They can buy great old hitters who can no longer field in the NL and let them play goofy ball in the AL. Baseball is baseball. If you take a position in the field, you should take a position at bat. It's like a Mulligan in golf. Drunks love it, golfers don't.

I agree with you to a point. But is baseball a better product with guys like David Ortiz or Edgar Martinez? I think so. I wish to see Ortiz play first base almost as little as I want to see Curt Schilling bat. It's the fans that ultimately win with the AL arrangement.

The money thing I don't get. We are driven by what the mighty Yanks do. They set the prices of everything. We are just fortunate enough to be able to compete by finding new revenue streams and buying all the tickets (always the highest in MLB).

Why can't LA, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas spend what we do? They are all bigger media markets than Boston.

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
The evidence says otherwise.

The lousy Junior Circuit has rolled over time and time again and allowed one franchise to win almost 4/10 of their total pennants.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:08 PM
The lousy Junior Circuit has rolled over time and time again and allowed one franchise to win almost 4/10 of their total pennants.

Read what broncocalijohn wrote.

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Somebody is smoking some serious hash. Have you checked the records for interleague paly, allstar games and recent WS games? As of now, NL is an inferior product compared to the AL. Even with the Cards winning the WS, the AL was a much stronger league overall. But, your Padres fanatic personality is showing.

That's why the National League holds a 40-36 all-time advantage in the Midsummer Classic? Do you forget about the 1960s and 1970s when the Senior Circuit steamrolled the Junior every July?

elsid13
10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
You must not have noticed Owings on the DBacks.

One guy out of how many???

elsid13
10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
That's why the National League holds a 40-36 all-time advantage in the Midsummer Classic? Do you forget about the 1960s and 1970s when the Senior Circuit steamrolled the Junior every July?

You're sounding like a Chef fan ;D

(sorry low blow, but what can I say.

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 02:13 PM

You haven't seen Micah Owings, Rick Ankiel, Babe Ruth, Jason Marquis, Mike Hampton and Whitey Ford swing the stick.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:15 PM

True. I remember when I was a kid that the NL had won like 9 in a row or something like that. The NL had better players then...and the game was much more meaningful to the players to prove which league was better.

Now, the players union is so strong that players move around much more. And interleague play had erased much more of the differences. All that remains is the DH thing.

MLB is much different now than the 70's when Curt Flood fought the good fight to have things the way they are today.

elsid13
10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
You haven't seen Micah Owings, Rick Ankiel, Babe Ruth, Jason Marquis, Mike Hampton and Whitey Ford swing the stick.

-Rick Ankiel is no longer a pitcher, he appears to be drugged up outfielder
-Babe Ruth has been dead for long time, and most of the HR came full time outfielder
-Whitey Ford hasn't picked up a bat in long time.

So that leaves 2 active pitchers out of how many

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Jeez, you had to go back over 50 years to find 2 of them! I'm not saying that pitchers CAN'T hit. Maddux was pretty good at it, right?

It's just that most of them suck at it and that's OK because that is not why they are there. If a guy can go 6 innings and strike out 8 every outing he can strike out every time he comes to bat. That's a good tradeoff for an NL team. But for a viewer it sucks.

I think you're just used to watching NL baseball and think nothing of it any more.

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with you to a point. But is baseball a better product with guys like David Ortiz or Edgar Martinez? I think so. I wish to see Ortiz play first base almost as little as I want to see Curt Schilling bat. It's the fans that ultimately win with the AL arrangement.

The money thing I don't get. We are driven by what the mighty Yanks do. They set the prices of everything. We are just fortunate enough to be able to compete by finding new revenue streams and buying all the tickets (always the highest in MLB).

Why can't LA, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas spend what we do? They are all bigger media markets than Boston.

Maybe I'm just biased. I've been a National Leaguer my whole life. I just prefer all the strategy around the pitching slot in the batting lineup. It affects so much of what can happen in a game. It does remind me of the rule in golf that "you play your ball where it lies." Sometimes, it's such a pain in the ass, like if your ball is up against a tree. But that's just the rub of the green. It changes what you can do. In the AL, you just seamlessly go from the 8 slot to the DH and back to the 1 slot. Nothing to think about. Not really much to plan around.

I don't know why the bigger markets don't spend more. Having spent quite a few hours at Chavez Ravine I can tell you, they don't have a real dependable fan base out there.

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Or Fernando Valenzuela. ;D

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Spending in quantity is not the issue here, it's efficient spending. There are some contracts on the Red Sox roster that would financially cripple other franchises that no general manager in baseball would want any part of:

Jason Varitek, 4 years, $40 million
J.D. Drew, 5 years, $70 million
Daisuke, 6 years, $52 million + 51, 111, 111.11 milllion

It's wrong when a general manager can make bonehead moves such as these, but still get away with it. That's why I admire what the Rockies, Indians and Diamondbacks did this season. They had a small margin of error and all four franchises put together championship clubs.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Good point, Ro. I appreciate the strategy of the NL too...forgot to mention that.

All the best mangers are in the NL...always have been. Francona came from the NL and I always thought Torre did a good job in the NL parks in the WS.

AL managers just have to manage the pitching staff 95% of the time. ESPECIALLY the BoSox. We rarely steal or bunt. I guess you gotta put the ol "hit and run" on once in a while.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Or Fernando Valenzuela. ;D

That 1981 season was crazy. Even as a 14-year old kid in the Boston suburbs I was well aware of the hoopla surrounding that NL pitcher in LA!

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Good point, Ro. I appreciate the strategy of the NL too...forgot to mention that.

All the best mangers are in the NL...always have been. Francona came from the NL and I always thought Torre did a good job in the NL parks in the WS.

AL managers just have to manage the pitching staff 95% of the time. ESPECIALLY the BoSox. We rarely steal or bunt. I guess you gotta put the ol "hit and run" on once in a while.

Lasorda's "suicide squeeze plays" were a thing of beauty. Ha!

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM
-Rick Ankiel is no longer a pitcher, he appears to be drugged up outfielder
-Babe Ruth has been dead for long time, and most of the HR came full time outfielder
-Whitey Ford hasn't picked up a bat in long time.

So that leaves 2 active pitchers out of how many

There's plenty of stud two way pitchers/hitters on the collegiate level. The only thing holding them back when they go pro are general managers going with the conservative mindset that they need to settle into one role.

Specialization sucks. The fans would love a two way hitter/pitcher in today's game. It's too bad nobody has the guts in baseball to try it.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Spending in quantity is not the issue here, it's efficient spending. There are some contracts on the Red Sox roster that would financially cripple other franchises that no general manager in baseball would want any part of:

It's wrong when a general manager can make bonehead moves such as these, but still get away with it. That's why I admire what the Rockies, Indians and Diamondbacks did this season. They had a small margin of error and all four franchises put together championship clubs.

Understood. It's all based on what your budget is.

However, with that argument, you even gotta give the Yankees a little credit. The Dodgers, Cubs, and Mets have spent lots of money (without having to worry about the Yankees) and have had little success due to bad decisions.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Specialization sucks. The fans would love a two way hitter/pitcher in today's game. It's too bad nobody has the guts in baseball to try it.

Yes and no.

There are too few that can do it at the Major League level and the risk/reward is just not worth it.

elsid13
10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
There's plenty of stud two way pitchers/hitters on the collegiate level. The only thing holding them back when they go pro are general managers going with the conservative mindset that they need to settle into one role.

They also hit with the old aluminum bats in the college ranks too. It amazing how crappy good college hitters become when they are forced to use wooden bats. That why the Cape Code league is great, you actually see if the kids have what it take to make in MLB and farm system

Rohirrim
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
They also hit with the old aluminum bats in the college ranks too. It amazing how crappy good college hitters become when they are forced to use wooden bats. That why the Cape Code league is great, you actually see if the kids have what it take to make in MLB and farm system

Don't get me started on aluminum bats.:twitch: ugh!~ :notthissh :bomb: :crazy: :pfbbt: :cuss: :moon: ~Popps~ :moody:

Jens1893
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I donīt watch baseball as much as others here do, casually during the season and more regularly during the playoffs, and I prefer NL games because of the extra strategy involved. I prefer watching small ball games where teams actually have to construct runs over games where everybody is just swinging for the fences.

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I donīt watch baseball as much as others here do, casually during the season and more regularly during the playoffs, and I prefer NL games because of the extra strategy involved. I prefer watching small ball games where teams actually have to construct runs over games where everybody is just swinging for the fences.

That was what Ty Cobb thought, too. He HATED the Babe Ruth approach.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM

I think i smell a converted Faider fan here! WHo says "all time" ? Are you having Mays, Aaron, Rose and Duke Snider playing for you now? Dude, recent times. Like the last 10 years or even 5 years. To say that the AL has the advantage because of the DH is absolutely retarded. I know Rock fans have been around for 15 years but it doesnt take that long to figure out that it is a disadvantage to have a DH when it comes to the world series. The DH has to play the field to get at bats. WOuld you rather have gold glove Youkilis at first or Ortiz? In Colorado, Ortiz needs to find a postion or he will be a pinch hitter. AL has their field covered and now can put a big bat in the pitcher's spot. What a nice little advantage to have for up to 3 games in the WS (not to mention all the inter league play). If you dont give this up, I am going to have to try out MLB for their stats. I should check out the Royals interleague play too. Didnt they beat up the Cards? I swear, dont make us junior league fans do it.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know why the bigger markets don't spend more. Having spent quite a few hours at Chavez Ravine I can tell you, they don't have a real dependable fan base out there.

once again, a person that has no clue on the Dodger attendance figures. Regardless of how this team does, it is one of the most loyal fan groups in SoCal. Lakers being the other top one. Dodgers do spend but they dont have to compete with the Yanks, Angels or Red Sox until the WS. And IMO, that wont happen any time soon.

Paladin
10-21-2007, 05:19 PM
i cant wait to see those fat ass AL players play the Rockies. we run every ground ball out. i dont think those fat AL players know how to turn a double play with the pressure we will bring.
i couldnt even watch the game tonight-fatass pitcher takes his time taking the mound. fat ass batter takes his time getting into the batters box.........
four hours to play nine innings. and MLB wonders why NFL is the number one sport?

So. You got something against fat-asses? They are different styles of the games.

Drek
10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Maybe I'm just biased. I've been a National Leaguer my whole life. I just prefer all the strategy around the pitching slot in the batting lineup. It affects so much of what can happen in a game. It does remind me of the rule in golf that "you play your ball where it lies." Sometimes, it's such a pain in the ass, like if your ball is up against a tree. But that's just the rub of the green. It changes what you can do. In the AL, you just seamlessly go from the 8 slot to the DH and back to the 1 slot. Nothing to think about. Not really much to plan around.

See, I think this is where AL and NL ball differ. Its not a superiority thing, its about where you want to see the decisive performances coming from.

I grew up in very AL-centric New England, but my grandfather was a die hard NL guy to the bone so I watched a whole lot of both. In the AL the game centers around dynamic pitching and hitting performances. Athletes doing great things on the field. The NL rules lean more towards the manager taking a decisive role and making winning decisions.

Its a matter of personal preference. Do you enjoy seeing the manager make a cerebral double switch that pays off, or do you enjoy seeing a great hitter go out and give his team the lead by working the count and taking a pitcher deep? Both are examples of great baseball, a preference for one doesn't invalidate the other.

Varitek's contract wasn't too far off his market value. In fact, had he gone FA he'd probably have gotten more like 5 years, $60M. He was fresh off two seasons with an .863 or better OPS, had just won a world series, and was considered one of, if not the greatest players at one of the hardest to fill positions in baseball. He performed very well the following year and was down the past two (though a good chunk of '06 was lost to injury). Any GM would look back at that contract without a hint of regret.

Matsuzaka, well, that deal is a different beast entirely when you consider the profitable ventures it opens up for a team in Japan. The Yankees have had the Japanese market cornered for some time, Boston would've been foolish to not find a way into that burgeoning market, especially when the investment would also net a potentially top tier mid-20's pitcher for well below market cost in player salary terms.

Drew? I didn't personally much care for the contract myself but to say no GM in the league would want it is kind of a misnomer when the Dodgers' brass groused quite a bit about how J.D. "broke his word" opting out after he said he wouldn't. They were paying close to the same annual salary for only one less guaranteed season (the 5th year has a team opt out based on if Drew stays healthy).

Now why not chose some good examples. Like how the Sox took an apparently bad contract in Renteria and turned it into value by including money, or how they've been just fine paying Matt Clement $8.5M a year despite him not pitching in a year and a half (though that also recoups a fat insurance check).

Too much is made of the financial differences in baseball. Teams determine their own fate in that capacity. If you play well and win fans show up, tv contracts appear, and you're on your way to being a powerhouse. If you don't perform and make good decisions you'll be a scrub organization. The Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc. all paid those dues long ago and as a result have full coffers to rely upon. Its the nature of such an old sport, the old guard that has been consistently well run in terms of fan relations are the mega corporations of their competitive environment. Should we fault the New York Times for being such a successful newspaper as compared their fledgling brethren? We should no more fault a pro sports team with such an established following.

In fact, what we should do is blame the small market clubs that are getting handouts from their financial superiors only to pocket them and let their team flounder. The Twins are supposedly very willing to trade Santana this off-season. Thats is preposterous for a team that receives tens of millions of dollars in revenue sharing and luxury tax handouts every year and is likely going to let their marquee free agent, Torii Hunter, walk. Pholad is more concerned with his bank account than his team though and as a result he's going to take the free money and let them flounder. Blame owners like that for the discrepancies in baseball. No team post-expos is in such a bad market that they can't manage a $60M+ payroll as long as they make the occasional smart decision and don't spit in their fan's faces.

elsid13
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Some WS news"

Wakefield will NOT be on the roster for this round due to his back. Don't know who the 4th starter is, but I would beat on Lester.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-worldseries-wakefieldout&prov=ap&type=lgns

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Also Cook is on the Rockies roster, Buckholz is off. Sucks for Buckholz, he was consistent all year and I expect he will be a key in the bullpen next year.

theAPAOps5
10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
So Cooke is taking Franklin Morales' spot in the rotation and he is heading to the Bull Pen. Smart move or not?

Paladin
10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Ya know, I have not been overly impressed with Cook over the past year when he did pitch... Not sure why. Just seemed to me to be a bit less effective more often than not. But I admit to prefering Cook over Fogg. Fogg gives me headaches.....

At least Buckholz gets a full share......

Jori
10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
So Cooke is taking Franklin Morales' spot in the rotation and he is heading to the Bull Pen. Smart move or not?

If Cookie has his sinker working...it's definately a good move. Franklin's been too shaky and it gives the Rox three lefties in the pen.

OrangeShadow
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Also Cook is on the Rockies roster, Buckholz is off. Sucks for Buckholz, he was consistent all year and I expect he will be a key in the bullpen next year.

bucholz will probably be starting next year. !Booya!

elsid13
10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
bucholz will probably be starting next year. !Booya!

different guy. The Rockies have a pitcher named that too. weird huh

Atwater His Ass
10-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Buckholz hasn't had an appearance all post-season so I don't see this as a huge risk-reward type move like the Taverz issue. This is a no-brainer. You put Cook on the roster if he can play.

OrangeShadow
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
different guy. The Rockies have a pitcher named that too. weird huh

i thought he was just spelling his name wrong. i really need to get some sleep lol

Drek
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
i thought he was just spelling his name wrong. i really need to get some sleep lol

Actually, you both did.

Its Clay Buchholz and Taylor Buchholz. Red Sox and Rockies respectively, no relation.

BMF Bronco
10-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I didn't realize the lack of respect the Rox are getting!

Paladin
10-24-2007, 12:56 AM
I didn't realize the lack of respect the Rox are getting!

Oh, I think the Crimson Hose fans are giving some credit to the Rockies, however begrudgingly. The fact is that until the Rockies walk the walk in the Series, they will not get the same respect that the "Old" money gets. Funny, the Crimson hose had not won a WS for 86 years and they win one a couple of years ago, and now they are "old hands" in the WS play. One thing is certain, if the Rockies win it all, the Sawks' fans will be able to handle it because they have had a lot of experience in that department.

Some people see Fenway as historic, romantic and loaded with nostalgia. I see it as a rather small, quaint relic of days gone by. But then, it's their crib and they can call the rules they wish. They could even move the right field fence in a bit so that their lefties can have a better chance to get homers..... Oh, wait. They did that already for Williams (23 feet).

BMF Bronco
10-24-2007, 01:18 AM
I was talking to my gal about Fenway's left field (green advertisement) and the chance it has (or lack thereof) to contain Holiday's power!!! not going to happen

Vegas_Bronco
10-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Rockies are getting slaughtered in the media....'oh its been a long sit' and every other excuse for the Bosox to win. 'Sure I want the Rockies to win but my head tells me the Sox will win', etc, etc.

You guys get out there and fight a media war, get some respect for your team, and don't let them disrespect you!

lex
10-24-2007, 01:32 AM
The Rockies should have John Elway, Terrell Davis, and Shannon Sharpe all throw out the first pitch just for the sake of rallying the cosmic forces in Denvers favor.

BMF Bronco
10-24-2007, 01:33 AM
**** that, we'll take the underdog role. what do the sawks, douchebacks, and Phillmes have in common?

they all are going to have lost and possibly swept by the Rox, and all are teams in red that are supposed to dispose of the Black and Purple machine!

DomCasual
10-24-2007, 01:44 AM
**** that, we'll take the underdog role. what do the sawks, douchebacks, and Phillmes have in common?

they all are going to have lost and possibly swept by the Rox, and all are teams in red that are supposed to dispose of the Black and Purple machine!

Dude, did you figure anything out on tickets? I just went ahead and splurged on StubHub. What the heck - it's a once-in-a-lifetime shot, and a great experience for my son. We're going to game 4 on Sunday night.

Paladin
10-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Dom, you should see the winning game!!!!!

Bronco LB 59
10-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Dom

Props to you for taking your son to an event he will never forget. My father got me tickets to the 1998 World Series and I'm still thankful he went out of his way to do that for me.

DomCasual
10-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Dom, you should see the winning game!!!!!

Wouldn't THAT be something! :)

BMF Bronco
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Dude, did you figure anything out on tickets? I just went ahead and splurged on StubHub. What the heck - it's a once-in-a-lifetime shot, and a great experience for my son. We're going to game 4 on Sunday night.

I wanted to so damn bad however, with a baby due any day now (thought he was coming two nights ago) I cannot legitimately go to Denver for any amount of time. I just got offered tickets to go to the MNF game against the Titans as well, but I am not going to be able to, as little man will only be two weeks old.

Old Dude
10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Rockies are getting slaughtered in the media....'oh its been a long sit' and every other excuse for the Bosox to win. 'Sure I want the Rockies to win but my head tells me the Sox will win', etc, etc.

You guys get out there and fight a media war, get some respect for your team, and don't let them disrespect you!

I think that I saw that the Red Sox are 2:1 favorites to win the series.

But I think the Rockies are getting plenty of praise in the media. They are a very young team, they haven't had much national exposure, and (well, let's face it) they were a late surging group that barely qualifed for the WC. So many of the articles that I've seen are of the who-the-heck-are-these-guys variety, whch isn't surprising. But the articles themselves don't understate what's been accomplished or the budding talent on the team. Many of them also mention that the Rockies performed well vs. the Red Sox in their meetings earlier this year and outscored them 20-5 or something like that.

Most of the "negative" talk has centered around the 8-day layoff, which is understandable, because it's unusual, and no one really knows how it might affect the momentum of a "hot" team.

My two cents - - I don't think it's possible to overstate how important the defensive fielding has been for the Rockies (and it's one of the main reasons the pitching staff has looked so good). I think that the fielding issue is something that they can keep sharp in practice. The bigger problem might be in the hitting department - especially pitch recognition - but the Rox didn't exactly set the world on fire with their bats in the D-back series.

fenway supposedly gives fielders fits, but at least part of the Rox success is pure athleticism rather than field familiarity ... so I guess we'll see.

Los Broncos
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm all for the Rockies owning he Red Sox, but they are up against it here.

Boston in six.

Master___Pain
10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Memo

To: Colorado Rockies

RE: World Series

Dear Rockies:

According to all of us in the national media, there is no need to play any of the World Series games, as the Red Sox are the best team to ever play on the diamond. There is no chance that a team that plays in in the hitters haven known as Coors Canaveral can win the World Series. The Red Sox are better at every position, have more history and are entitled to the 2007 World Series crown. Thanks for the cute little historic run you've been on, but the wicked awesome Red Sox are here and can not be defeated. Thank you for you time.

Paladin
10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Awesome!

Bwana send money now?

BMF Bronco
10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Memo

To: Colorado Rockies

RE: World Series

Dear Rockies:

According to all of us in the national media, there is no need to play any of the World Series games, as the Red Sox are the best team to ever play on the diamond. There is no chance that a team that plays in in the hitters haven known as Coors Canaveral can win the World Series. The Red Sox are better at every position, have more history and are entitled to the 2007 World Series crown. Thanks for the cute little historic run you've been on, but the wicked awesome Red Sox are here and can not be defeated. Thank you for you time.

hahahah, PRECISELY! **** the media!

TheChamp24
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
My dad and I are probably not gonna make the trip to go to a game now since we couldn't get tickets. Paying $300-$500 for shiitty seats, and then like $150 for gas, and missing at least monday from school/work, can't do it. Would cost $1,000 to do it and just don't have that money :(
I'm heartbroken...I really wanted to go.

Hotrod
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Game 3 baby down the right field line.

I love baseball but honestly this trip is much more about my father. Hes a huge baseball nut and has followed the Braves since Boston. He was so excited about getting a "home team" when the Rocks were born. He just keeps saying over and over "a World Series game I just never thought I'd get to go to one". Hes sad that his father is no longer with us so he could take him (who was an even bigger baseball fan) Hes thinking this will be the single greatest father/son event of our lives.........I tend to agree.

PatsWin2002
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Game 3 baby down the right field line.

I love baseball but honestly this trip is much more about my father. Hes a huge baseball nut and has followed the Braves since Boston. He was so excited about getting a "home team" when the Rocks were born. He just keeps saying over and over "a World Series game I just never thought I'd get to go to one". Hes sad that his father is no longer with us so he could take him (who was an even bigger baseball fan) Hes thinking this will be the single greatest father/son event of our lives.........I tend to agree.

Does your dad or grandfather have ties back here? The Braves left Boston after the 1952 season.

Your story makes me think of the old timers here that are still NY Giants fans because the Patriots didn't come into existence until 1960. Which makes me wonder about Denver....are the old-timers there former Browns or Bears fans?

Hotrod
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Does your dad or grandfather have ties back here? The Braves left Boston after the 1952 season.

Your story makes me think of the old timers here that are still NY Giants fans because the Patriots didn't come into existence until 1960. Which makes me wonder about Denver....are the old-timers there former Browns or Bears fans?

I honestly dont know how they became Boston Braves fans. I'll have to ask on the trip both were born here in CO. They continued to follow the Atlanta Braves and my father still does.

go_broncos
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry to say but rockies have no chance against Redsox..

Redsox will sweep the rockies...

Hotrod
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I guess I owe you a great big Thank You. I almost wasted time & money going to a WS game. Thanks man :)

Jens1893
10-24-2007, 04:17 PM

thanks for the heads up! im off to the bookies to bet my life savings on the red sox ....

Hotrod
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok for someone who does not follow the AL at all can someone give a quick snapshot of the redsox. Just enough so those of us going/watching the WS will understand the team.

go_broncos
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I guess I owe you a great big Thank You. I almost wasted time & money going to a WS game. Thanks man :)

If u observe, Rockies team is exactly like Detriot Tigers of last year ..

Redsox is hot right now and Rockies have no chance beating red sox..

Please don't get offended..this is how i feel..

Hotrod
10-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Sorry you just simply talk too much like the rainman for me :giggle:

elsid13
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I think that I saw that the Red Sox are 2:1 favorites to win the series.

But I think the Rockies are getting plenty of praise in the media. They are a very young team, they haven't had much national exposure, and (well, let's face it) they were a late surging group that barely qualifed for the WC. So many of the articles that I've seen are of the who-the-heck-are-these-guys variety, whch isn't surprising. But the articles themselves don't understate what's been accomplished or the budding talent on the team. Many of them also mention that the Rockies performed well vs. the Red Sox in their meetings earlier this year and outscored them 20-5 or something like that.

Most of the "negative" talk has centered around the 8-day layoff, which is understandable, because it's unusual, and no one really knows how it might affect the momentum of a "hot" team.

My two cents - - I don't think it's possible to overstate how important the defensive fielding has been for the Rockies (and it's one of the main reasons the pitching staff has looked so good). I think that the fielding issue is something that they can keep sharp in practice. The bigger problem might be in the hitting department - especially pitch recognition - but the Rox didn't exactly set the world on fire with their bats in the D-back series.

fenway supposedly gives fielders fits, but at least part of the Rox success is pure athleticism rather than field familiarity ... so I guess we'll see.

There are five factors that seem to effect visiting teams when come into Fenway. First you get a lot right handers attempt to pull the ball because the Green Monster look so close. Second the infield is usually "rough" and fast causing some weird bounces on ground balls. Renatta hated the freaking infield and it was one of the reason he struggled in his short time there. Third you get some weird bounce off the side outfield walls. It very easy for ball to run along the right field wall causing some singles to become triples real quick. (In fact right field is extreme big and you need a fielder with good speed and strong arm). Fourth the bounce of the scoreboard and ads on the monster. And finally the crowd is right on top of the action. There no foul ground except behind home plate.

ColoradoBuff
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

How about a case of STFU!!

ColoradoBuff
10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Sorry you just simply talk too much like the rainman for me :giggle:

classic.LOL Hilarious! ^5

DomCasual
10-24-2007, 07:35 PM
If you have about five minutes to kill, this is definitely a worthwhile read.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071024/SPORTS/310240004/1002/SPORTS

Colorado Rockies manager Clint Hurdle feeling the Brevard County love

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

-- The Beatles, 1969

Clint Hurdle is feeling the love.

"Incredible," he said. "Just amazing. Absolutely amazing. I've heard from so many people from back home that I'm humbled by it. I really am. People have contacted me through my sisters, through my parents, they've e-mailed, called, penned personal letters and sent them to me. I can't tell you what it means to have that kind of support."

And Hurdle didn't even know about the scrolling marquee sign at his alma mater, Merritt Island High School, wishing him well going into tonight's World Series opening game.

"Great Job! Colorado Rockies and manager Clint Hurdle. Class of '75."

Hurdle paused, digesting the information, speechless for a second.

"Really?" he said. "They did that? Wow! That's so cool."

He paused again.

"When people you've known, people you grew up with, people who've made a difference in your life, people who just care and want to send their well-wishes, when people reach out to you like that, that's the greatest gift."

Joanna Blakeman knows the feeling.

A gift?

"Clint Hurdle is a gift from God," she said.

And then she thought she might cry again.

Blakeman doesn't know the Clint Hurdle we know. The Clint Hurdle who grew up on Merritt Island and later, for 10 years, ran a local baseball school with Brevard Community College coach Ernie Rosseau, who touched thousands of local lives, who this December will be back for his third annual charity softball tournament to raise money and awareness for Prader-Willi syndrome, a rare form of mental retardation which his 5-year-old daughter Madison suffers from.

She doesn't know the Clint Hurdle who called Ernie Rosseau twice a day when Rosseau's mother was dying, or who gives money, time and equipment to BCC's baseball program, every year coming home to speak to Rosseau's team, or to the Mustangs Dugout Club.

No, Joanna Blakeman doesn't know all those things about Clint Hurdle, but she isn't surprised.

Two years ago, the world crashed in on the Blakemans, Joanna and her husband Brad. Their son, Kyle Blakeman, only 13 at the time, was diagnosed with Renal Medullary Carcinoma, a rare cancer that, save from one known survivor of eight years, is always fatal.

Growing up in the Denver suburb known as Highlands Ranch, Kyle loved sports, but especially baseball. The Rockies were his favorite team.

With the family at the hospital one day, just after the diagnosis, the Blakemans' friend, Linda Techentien, went grocery shopping for them at the local Safeway, her mind consumed with the devastating news as she stood in the checkout line.

If only there was some way to get in touch with the Rockies, with Clint Hurdle, she thought. Maybe they could send Kyle an autograph, some piece of memorabilia, something to cheer up him and the family.

Just then, Techentien looked up and there, standing in line in front of her, was Clint Hurdle.

Hesitant at first, she tapped him on the shoulder, told him the story, and asked if there was something the Rockies could do. Hurdle thought of something better. He asked for the boy's name, his parents' names, Kyle's younger sister's name, and wrote it all down.

The next day, Joanna Blakeman answered a ringing phone and on the other end Clint Hurdle introduced himself.

"I was in shock," she said. "Clint Hurdle? The manager of the Colorado Rockies? Calling us? It was unbelievable."

It wasn't a one-time call, either.

Hurdle kept the Blakemans number in his car, on the sun visor. He often would look at the number, bow his head, say a prayer, and then call.

"I can't tell you how many times he called," Joanna Blakeman said Tuesday from the family's home. "He just always stayed in touch. Out of the blue, there'd be a call from Clint. We'd get Kyle on the phone, and they'd just talk. It was the neatest thing for Kyle."

Over the next year, after he was diagnosed in 2005, Kyle had a kidney removed, endured crippling chemotherapy and then aggressive stem cell treatment, which was particularly debilitating.

"Basically, they took Kyle to the brink of death, then brought him back," Joanna said. "In May of 2006, he was cancer free."

And ready to play baseball again, building up his body, working on his skills. Kyle played center in football, but baseball was his love, his passion.

"It was Kyle's lifelong goal to make his high school team," Joanna said. "Baseball is very competitive out here, and Kyle always wanted to play on the most competitive teams in the most competitive leagues."

Last March, he went through a weeklong tryout for his high school team. On the morning when the cuts were posted, the phone rang at the Blakemans' home.

"Once again, out of the blue, it was Clint," Joanna said, and this time she couldn't fend off the tears. "He called at 6 in the morning. Right after Kyle got off the phone with Clint, his friend, Brock Trujillo, called. Brock had gone to school extra early to see who made the baseball team. Kyle had made it. To get a phone call from Clint, and then to learn that he made the team, it was one of the best days of his life."

Kyle played baseball that season, this past spring, and then in a summer league. His doctor told the Blakemans that she thought maybe the stem cell treatment had beaten this form of unbeatable cancer.

"She told us that she was going to take a week off and write a paper, that maybe they were on to something," Joanna said. "The next day, Kyle's back started hurting him."

The cancer had returned, this time with a vengeance. This was early July. Soon Kyle was back in the hospital, never to leave.

"I don't know how, but Clint found out, and he got in touch with us right away," Joanna said.

On August 24, Hurdle visited Kyle at Children's Hospital in Denver. On morphine, it was one of the rare days he was lucid.

The Rockies were struggling, 71/2 games out of first place in the NL West.

"We need some luck," Hurdle told Kyle, sitting at his bedside. "Do you have a lucky number?"

Kyle thought. He wore number 21 in baseball, but for some reason he gave Hurdle his football number.

"Sixty-four," he said.

"I'm going to write it on the lineup card tonight," Hurdle said.

That night, Kyle and his parents stayed up and watched the Rockies against the Washington Nationals. Losing 5-1 in the bottom of the ninth, the Rockies rallied for five runs to win, 6-5, and many people call that game the team's turning point this season.

Since then, the Rockies have gone 33-10, and for every one of those games, Hurdle has written 64 at the top of his lineup card.

"I can guarantee you," said Rockies bench coach Jamie Quirk, Hurdle's longtime friend going back to their days together as players in the Kansas City Royals organization, "the World Series lineup card is going to have the number 64 on it."

Back at the hospital, the Blakemans didn't know if Kyle would survive to the next day. Both Brad and Joanna decided to spend the night in Kyle's room, and had just shut the light when a nurse came in.

"You have a visitor," she said.

In walked Clint Hurdle.

"Clint just lit up the room," Joanna said. "He told us he put Kyle's number 64 on the lineup card, and then he gave the lineup card to Kyle, along with all his notes from the game. It was such a special moment for Kyle, for him to think that he had something to do with the Rockies winning."

The next day, there was a mini-vigil outside Kyle's room, three of his friends and some of their moms. Kyle wouldn't let any of them in, not to see him like this, withering away.

"The whole time he was in the hospital, the only people he let see him were his family, and Clint," Joanna said.

Joanna was telling Kyle's friends how Hurdle had come twice the day before, eliciting exclamations like, "Wow!" "Really?" "You're kidding!"

Just then, she looked up, and walking down the hallway, carrying Rockies hats, was Hurdle.

"And there he is," she said, pointing.

Hurdle greeted everyone, and then headed into Kyle's room for a one-on-one talk. When he left, Joanna watched him, walking down the hallway.

"He kept poking his head in people's rooms, greeting them," she said. "I'll never forget that."

Three days later, on Aug. 28, Kyle Blakeman, only 15, died.

When Colorado clinched a World Series birth last week, in a game that saw Kyle's 10-year-old sister Macie throw out the opening pitch, the Blakemans couldn't help but notice that the Rockies did so by beating Arizona, 6-4, scoring all six of their runs in the fourth inning. That same game, Hurdle pulled starting pitcher Franklin Morales after 64 pitches.

"I kept wondering, why 64, and not 21? Why didn't Kyle tell Clint 21?" Joanna said. "That was his baseball number. I just felt we'd see that number 21 surface somewhere."

The game the Rockies won to go to tonight's World Series was their 21st victory in 22 games, an amazing and unprecedented run.

And the ride continues.

Kyle's football team now wears T-shirts under their jerseys with initials "KB" fashioned in a Superman logo on the front, and the number 64 on the back. The team, the ThunderRidge High Grizzlies, is undefeated this season.

"It's not a magic number," Hurdle said yesterday. "It's meaningful. That's what it is to me. It's meaningful to me, and it's meaningful to them."

He just doesn't know how much.

"Tell Clint, the next time you talk to him, that we send him a big hug," Joanna Blakeman said, fighting back tears. "We just love him."

DomCasual
10-24-2007, 07:41 PM

U on money friend! Red Sox r greatest team. Rockies r lucky ducks. Sorry 2 say, this series is not good 1. Red Sox win fastly. They rock. :strong:

Jens1893
10-24-2007, 07:44 PM
• Game 1 starting lineups for tonight:

Colorado

Willy Taveras, center field
Kazuo Matsui, second base
Matt Holliday, left field
Todd Helton, first base
Garrett Atkins, third base
Brad Hawpe, right field
Troy Tulowitzki, shortstop
Yorvit Torrealba, catcher
Ryan Spilborghs, designated hitter

Boston

Dustin Pedroia, second base
Kevin Youklis, first base
David Ortiz, designated hitter
Manny Ramirez, left field
Mike Lowell, third base
Jason Varitek, catcher
J.D. Drew, right field
Julio Lugo, shortstop
Jacoby Ellsbury, center field

24champ
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
U on money friend! Red Sox r greatest team. Rockies r lucky ducks. Sorry 2 say, this series is not good 1. Red Sox win fastly. They rock. :strong:

How much did you pay for your WS tickets again?:)

DomCasual
10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
How much did you pay for your WS tickets again?:)

They let me pay in brain cells! I got a great deal! :)

Drek
10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Ok for someone who does not follow the AL at all can someone give a quick snapshot of the redsox. Just enough so those of us going/watching the WS will understand the team.

Sure thing.

Starting lineup
Dustin Pedroia:
trash talking hard nosed SOB despite being a rookie. During one minor league game he had gotten hits in this first two ABs off Yusmerio Petit, in his third appearance he walked up to the mound and yelled out "bring that weak ass **** back in here so I can hit another" (paraphrasing), Petit obliged and got a hard liner back at him that went through for Pedroia's third hit of the day. Describes himself as 5'2", 115 pounds (he's more like 5'8", 155) but has an insanely good eye and great bat control so he takes one of the biggest hacking swings you'll see in baseball. Not an athlete by any stretch but with fundamentals that bely his age, making him a very good fielder.

Kevin Youkilis:
The Money Ball "Greek God of Walks", when he's on he knows the strike zone better than the ump. Plays a very good 1st base defensively and can also play a good 3rd (which we might see in Colorado, Francona might rotate him, Ortiz, and Lowell getting them each an off day when lacking the DH). Fiery guy who plays full tilt like Pedroia. Not much of an athlete either but he's a consummate pro. Has some good pop and contact skills but will mostly kill you with grinding ABs that he turns into walks, singles, or doubles. Gets on base at about a .400 clip for his career and excels when batting in front of 'Tiz.

David Ortiz:
One of the best left handed hitters in baseball, very clutch, and a media darling. Probably doesn't need a whole lot of illumination.

Manny Ramirez:
You could argue that he's the best right handed hitter of our time. A below average fielder who is rated even worse because of the wall in Fenway (it historically kills defensive metric ratings for Red Sox LFs). He's not as bad in the field as most make him out to be and in fact is a pretty dangerous guy to try and take an extra base on when in Fenway. Plays the wall great, but is prone to mental lapses in the field or on the bases.

Mike Lowell:
Consumate pro at 3B. Has shown a good mixture of homerun and doubles power this year and since joining the Red Sox has actually posted a better career BA than previously. Gold glove caliber 3B and the Red Sox leading RBI guy.

JD Drew:
Had a down year but really turned it on from August on. His fielding is very solid, especially in Fenway's tricky right field. Biggest gripe about him is that much of this season he's seemed very content with looking for the walk instead of getting the hit even when men are on base. Much maligned fellow in Philly, St. Louis, and L.A., but he's on a pretty good roll right now for the Sox.

Jason Varitek:
Red Sox captain. Excellent, if overrated, behind the plate. Won't throw many attempted base stealers out but he calls a very good game and doesn't give up many passed balls. Isn't the offensive threat of his youth but still has home run power and will work an AB pretty well. Switch hitter, and the slowest base runner on the Sox outside of Papi.

Julio Lugo:
solid shortstop prone to some throwing errors. Has really scuffled at the plate this year but has surprisingly managed to get it done with men on base (hence his high RBI total for such a poor OPS). Very fast on the base paths and is a real threat to steal.

Jacoby Ellsbury:
Young Sox prospect, has already flashed more power in his ~120 MLB at bats than he ever did in the minors and is a very good contact hitter. Also has a pretty good eye and isn't afraid to walk. Might be the most dangerous man in baseball when you get him on base. Was only one steal behind the AAA leader despite playing over 20 less games. Real threat to score any time he's on base, in fact he scored from second on a passed ball this season once already and is a real threat to score from 1st on an OF single.

Off the Bench
Coco Crisp:
Great defender and base runner who has been very hot and cold at the plate since coming to Boston. Has spurts of great at bats followed by a bunch of really bad ones. Probably won't see a ton of plate time in this series but will come in as a defensive replacement and pinch runner, assuming his leg is ok.

Eric Hinske:
traditional "money ball" stereotype in one man. Former ROY who doesn't have great contact skills but a decent eye and some good power. Mediocre but versatile fielder, plays corner IF or OF, 3B is his worst of the four positions.

Alex Cora:
backup MI, shouldn't see any game time this series without injury. Savvy vet but just doesn't have the talent.

Starting Rotation
Josh Beckett:
Going tonight, great post season pitcher despite his young age, on the top of his game. Will pound opponents with a high 90's fastball, follows it up with a change and one of the nastiest curves in all of baseball. When he's on he'll throw any of them to any part of the plate for strikes and can be unhittable. Was homer prone last season but hasn't been so far this year.

Curt Schilling:
Not nearly the power pitcher of his former days, now he rests in the high 80's to low 90's with his fastball, but still works it with a very effective splitter and secondary arsenal to get outs. He's something of a wild card has he's historically a big game pitcher and has stepped up in the playoffs recently, but he doesn't have his former stuff and has a bad track record in Coors (shouldn't pitch there this series though). If he's on in game 2 it might not bode well for the Rockies in general.

Daisuke Matsuzaka:
Japanese rookie, only 26 years old, throws 6-8 pitches of ML quality. 'Tek does not call him well some games and has a tendency to ride the fastball too hard. Matsuzaka has also had some control issues over the last month or so, possibly due to fatigue (thrown more innings here than he ever did in Japan). If he's on he works a very accurate mid-90's fastball and a host of off speed stuff like none other. If the Matsuzaka of June and July shows up he could also put a serious hurt on Colorado's chances, but thats at least as big a question as Schilling.

Jon Lester:
Highly touted left handed prospect fresh off an off-season of chemotherapy. He's rebounded well though and is flashing the same mid-90's fastball we all remember form before. Has a good curve to compliment as well and if I recall has a pretty good two seemer and slider. He's had control problems and has let his pitch counts get too high by going after batters too often, but has also stepped up in big games before. He's probably only going to see one start this series so I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go well over 100 pitches. Probably just enough to get him through the 6th inning if he doesn't get shelled.

Bullpen:
Kyle Snyder:
Former top prospect who blew out his arm and has reinvented himself as something of a soft tossing junk baller. Ok for two or three middle relief inning when his curve, which is still pretty good, shows up, but otherwise should only be used for blowouts.

Javy Lopez:
The non-LOOGY. side arm throwing lefty who had a .176/.295 righty v. lefty split this season. Francona had been using him as a LOOGY despite that up unit recently, but hopefully those days are behind us. He is good for initiating a ground out though, so he can be something of a double play inducing threat. Only good for an inning or maybe 2 if he works quick, but probably won't see action outside of blowouts.

Eric Gagne:
Big question mark. Still throws in the mid-90's, has still struck batters out at a good clip in Boston, but in clutch situations he's come apart at the seems since joining the club. I wouldn't be surprised if he's used in non-save situation games that are somewhat close but not tie ball games or one run affairs. If he comes out strong early he could find greater prominence by the end of the series.

Manny Delcarmen:
Mass. native and fireballer. Throws high 90's heat with some ok breaking stuff to compliment it. Strikeout pitcher but he's very young (first full season) so he is occasionally prone to making mistakes and getting shelled as a result. Probably the 3rd man out of Boston's bullpen.

Hideki Okajima:
Funky delivery lefty (actually has his eyes closed and head turned down when he releases the ball) who has gotten it done this year. high 80's fastball with a killer "change" if you want to call it that (its more like a screwball). In Japan he was renowned for his curve which plays fairly well at the MLB level. Will occasionally get erratic with his control but when he's on he's pretty filthy, especially if used after the hard throwing Beckett, Delcarmen, or Matsuzaka.

Jonathan Papelbon:
Arguably the best closer in baseball today. High 90's fastball that has some nasty late movement. Good split fastball and ok off-speed stuff to compliment, but doesn't even always need it. Not very home run prone but if he's off can give them up. He's very intense and lives off slamming the door whenever called upon.

spdirty
10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
this is so much fun.

elsid13
10-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Drek excellent breakdown. The only thing I would add if Dustin and Youkilis are getting on base on constant basis it will be a long game for the Rockies pitchers. Getting those two out will be very important for the Rockies if they want to be successful. Manny and Papi will get theirs so you need to limit the guys getting on in front of them.

Another little note DL Drew actually had his best hitting performances against the national league teams during interleague play. Was extremely hot take that for what it worth.

24champ
10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Hmm you can get a free taco from Taco Bell if somebody steals a base...

Spider
10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
My first ever world series .................Come on Rox .....

Spider
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM

all of them are felons ..............if not they should be

elsid13
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
all of them are felons ..............if not they should be

Don't hurt yourself jumping on the bandwagon. We don't want you to pull a groin or anything ;D

Spider
10-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Don't hurt yourself jumping on the bandwagon. We don't want you to pull a groin or anything ;D

felon :welcome:

elsid13
10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
felon :welcome:

I have been called worse.

Spider
10-24-2007, 08:28 PM
I have been called worse.

:giggle: ....

Hotrod
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Sure thing.

Starting lineup
Dustin Pedroia:
trash talking hard nosed SOB despite being a rookie. During one minor league game he had gotten hits in this first two ABs off Yusmerio Petit, in his third appearance he walked up to the mound and yelled out "bring that weak ass **** back in here so I can hit another" (paraphrasing), Petit obliged and got a hard liner back at him that went through for Pedroia's third hit of the day. Describes himself as 5'2", 115 pounds (he's more like 5'8", 155) but has an insanely good eye and great bat control so he takes one of the biggest hacking swings you'll see in baseball. Not an athlete by any stretch but with fundamentals that bely his age, making him a very good fielder.

Kevin Youkilis:
The Money Ball "Greek God of Walks", when he's on he knows the strike zone better than the ump. Plays a very good 1st base defensively and can also play a good 3rd (which we might see in Colorado, Francona might rotate him, Ortiz, and Lowell getting them each an off day when lacking the DH). Fiery guy who plays full tilt like Pedroia. Not much of an athlete either but he's a consummate pro. Has some good pop and contact skills but will mostly kill you with grinding ABs that he turns into walks, singles, or doubles. Gets on base at about a .400 clip for his career and excels when batting in front of 'Tiz.

David Ortiz:
One of the best left handed hitters in baseball, very clutch, and a media darling. Probably doesn't need a whole lot of illumination.

Manny Ramirez:
You could argue that he's the best right handed hitter of our time. A below average fielder who is rated even worse because of the wall in Fenway (it historically kills defensive metric ratings for Red Sox LFs). He's not as bad in the field as most make him out to be and in fact is a pretty dangerous guy to try and take an extra base on when in Fenway. Plays the wall great, but is prone to mental lapses in the field or on the bases.

Mike Lowell:
Consumate pro at 3B. Has shown a good mixture of homerun and doubles power this year and since joining the Red Sox has actually posted a better career BA than previously. Gold glove caliber 3B and the Red Sox leading RBI guy.

JD Drew:
Had a down year but really turned it on from August on. His fielding is very solid, especially in Fenway's tricky right field. Biggest gripe about him is that much of this season he's seemed very content with looking for the walk instead of getting the hit even when men are on base. Much maligned fellow in Philly, St. Louis, and L.A., but he's on a pretty good roll right now for the Sox.

Jason Varitek:
Red Sox captain. Excellent, if overrated, behind the plate. Won't throw many attempted base stealers out but he calls a very good game and doesn't give up many passed balls. Isn't the offensive threat of his youth but still has home run power and will work an AB pretty well. Switch hitter, and the slowest base runner on the Sox outside of Papi.

Julio Lugo:
solid shortstop prone to some throwing errors. Has really scuffled at the plate this year but has surprisingly managed to get it done with men on base (hence his high RBI total for such a poor OPS). Very fast on the base paths and is a real threat to steal.

Jacoby Ellsbury:
Young Sox prospect, has already flashed more power in his ~120 MLB at bats than he ever did in the minors and is a very good contact hitter. Also has a pretty good eye and isn't afraid to walk. Might be the most dangerous man in baseball when you get him on base. Was only one steal behind the AAA leader despite playing over 20 less games. Real threat to score any time he's on base, in fact he scored from second on a passed ball this season once already and is a real threat to score from 1st on an OF single.

Off the Bench
Coco Crisp:
Great defender and base runner who has been very hot and cold at the plate since coming to Boston. Has spurts of great at bats followed by a bunch of really bad ones. Probably won't see a ton of plate time in this series but will come in as a defensive replacement and pinch runner, assuming his leg is ok.

Eric Hinske:
traditional "money ball" stereotype in one man. Former ROY who doesn't have great contact skills but a decent eye and some good power. Mediocre but versatile fielder, plays corner IF or OF, 3B is his worst of the four positions.

Alex Cora:
backup MI, shouldn't see any game time this series without injury. Savvy vet but just doesn't have the talent.

Starting Rotation
Josh Beckett:
Going tonight, great post season pitcher despite his young age, on the top of his game. Will pound opponents with a high 90's fastball, follows it up with a change and one of the nastiest curves in all of baseball. When he's on he'll throw any of them to any part of the plate for strikes and can be unhittable. Was homer prone last season but hasn't been so far this year.

Curt Schilling:
Not nearly the power pitcher of his former days, now he rests in the high 80's to low 90's with his fastball, but still works it with a very effective splitter and secondary arsenal to get outs. He's something of a wild card has he's historically a big game pitcher and has stepped up in the playoffs recently, but he doesn't have his former stuff and has a bad track record in Coors (shouldn't pitch there this series though). If he's on in game 2 it might not bode well for the Rockies in general.

Daisuke Matsuzaka:
Japanese rookie, only 26 years old, throws 6-8 pitches of ML quality. 'Tek does not call him well some games and has a tendency to ride the fastball too hard. Matsuzaka has also had some control issues over the last month or so, possibly due to fatigue (thrown more innings here than he ever did in Japan). If he's on he works a very accurate mid-90's fastball and a host of off speed stuff like none other. If the Matsuzaka of June and July shows up he could also put a serious hurt on Colorado's chances, but thats at least as big a question as Schilling.

Jon Lester:
Highly touted left handed prospect fresh off an off-season of chemotherapy. He's rebounded well though and is flashing the same mid-90's fastball we all remember form before. Has a good curve to compliment as well and if I recall has a pretty good two seemer and slider. He's had control problems and has let his pitch counts get too high by going after batters too often, but has also stepped up in big games before. He's probably only going to see one start this series so I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go well over 100 pitches. Probably just enough to get him through the 6th inning if he doesn't get shelled.

Bullpen:
Kyle Snyder:
Former top prospect who blew out his arm and has reinvented himself as something of a soft tossing junk baller. Ok for two or three middle relief inning when his curve, which is still pretty good, shows up, but otherwise should only be used for blowouts.

Javy Lopez:
The non-LOOGY. side arm throwing lefty who had a .176/.295 righty v. lefty split this season. Francona had been using him as a LOOGY despite that up unit recently, but hopefully those days are behind us. He is good for initiating a ground out though, so he can be something of a double play inducing threat. Only good for an inning or maybe 2 if he works quick, but probably won't see action outside of blowouts.

Eric Gagne:
Big question mark. Still throws in the mid-90's, has still struck batters out at a good clip in Boston, but in clutch situations he's come apart at the seems since joining the club. I wouldn't be surprised if he's used in non-save situation games that are somewhat close but not tie ball games or one run affairs. If he comes out strong early he could find greater prominence by the end of the series.

Manny Delcarmen:
Mass. native and fireballer. Throws high 90's heat with some ok breaking stuff to compliment it. Strikeout pitcher but he's very young (first full season) so he is occasionally prone to making mistakes and getting shelled as a result. Probably the 3rd man out of Boston's bullpen.

Hideki Okajima:
Funky delivery lefty (actually has his eyes closed and head turned down when he releases the ball) who has gotten it done this year. high 80's fastball with a killer "change" if you want to call it that (its more like a screwball). In Japan he was renowned for his curve which plays fairly well at the MLB level. Will occasionally get erratic with his control but when he's on he's pretty filthy, especially if used after the hard throwing Beckett, Delcarmen, or Matsuzaka.

Jonathan Papelbon:
Arguably the best closer in baseball today. High 90's fastball that has some nasty late movement. Good split fastball and ok off-speed stuff to compliment, but doesn't even always need it. Not very home run prone but if he's off can give them up. He's very intense and lives off slamming the door whenever called upon.

Thanks for taking the time to type that up for me. After watching the game last night I'd have to say a pretty accurate write up.

Hang in there Rocks still a shot at a split in beantown. :pray:

Drek
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for taking the time to type that up for me. After watching the game last night I'd have to say a pretty accurate write up.

Hang in there Rocks still a shot at a split in beantown. :pray:

Yeah, just a player run down though. As far as what each team needs to do to win, my opinion:

Red Sox
They need at least one of Schilling or Matsuzaka to step up. If they both do it could be a short series, but they've both been inconsistent the second half of this year and in the playoffs. They also need to avoid going into a hitting funk. They've been prone to straying away from their patient plate approach at times this season, they can't afford to do that in this series.

Rockies
Need to throw strikes with their off-speed stuff and breaking balls. If they can get ahead of Youks and Pedroia they can try to take them out of the game. Once you do that Ortiz and Manny aren't nearly as deadly. They can still hurt you, sure, but one run shots don't end ball games, three run shots do. Offensively they need to adopt the Red Sox' mindset and be much more patient at the plate than they have been previously. The Sox can be ground down just like any other pitching staff, if they can get to Snyder/Gagne/Delcarmen in the 6th they can do some real damage at that point. They really need to work on their Fenway defense. They looked lost in the field last night. Very poor positioning by the corner OFs and Tavarez took some horrible jumps. At least half of the Red Sox 8 doubles are outs or singles if the Sox' are playing the field in Fenway.

When they go home to Colorado they need to take advantage of Manny in an expansive LF while they can. If the Sox get ahead in the late innings they'll lose the only significant defensive liability the Sox offer because Francona will swap Manny and Crisp, shifting Ellsbury to LF. At that point the Sox present arguably the best defensive outfield in all of baseball, not an easy group to get extra bases off of.

Most importantly the Rockies need to keep focused and remember who they're playing. Before this series a lot of people argued that the different rules sets would favor Colorado because playing with a DH simplifies the game while not having it makes for more complex managerial choices than the AL team normally deals with. The Rockies need to be aware that the Red Sox don't have that weakness, Francona has been an NL guy most of his career and they sport several NL starters and positional players. They understand NL ball. Furthermore the Rockies need to remember that in Fenway this is not going to be a team looking to manufacture runs. You don't play the infield in because they aren't going to sacrafice guys over and steal bases very often, they'll just slap you around the park.

I don't think the layoff got to the Rockies last night, I think the difference of AL v. NL ball got to them. They showed up expecting a different style of baseball, which is understandable because most of them are lifelong NL'ers who only see a little interleague play each year. The AL is all about power. Power pitching, power hitting. They don't implement traditional baseball strategies, they just look to out muscle you. The Rockies can adjust quickly to that, they have the power to do so themselves, they just need to shift mental gears and get themselves back on track.

24champ
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Buster Olney reported on Steven A Smith Show (ESPN, AM 710) that the Dodgers have offered Joe Girardi the managerial position of the team. I caught the last bit of it so I heard something along the lines of:
Joe's thinking about it, the offer has been extended and the Yankees are expected to make their decision in the next 24 hours.

I don't know if Joe's waiting for the Yanks or if the Yanks are waiting for Joe.

Either way, it doesn't look good for Grittle.

Natedog24
10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Buster Olney reported on Steven A Smith Show (ESPN, AM 710) that the Dodgers have offered Joe Girardi the managerial position of the team. I caught the last bit of it so I heard something along the lines of:
Joe's thinking about it, the offer has been extended and the Yankees are expected to make their decision in the next 24 hours.

I don't know if Joe's waiting for the Yanks or if the Yanks are waiting for Joe.

Either way, it doesn't look good for Grittle.

Wow, sweet I like Girardi a lot, I think he would be a good fit...

If LA doesn't get Girardi, who else would they go after, maybe Torre??

24champ
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Wow, sweet I like Girardi a lot, I think he would be a good fit...

If LA doesn't get Girardi, who else would they go after, maybe Torre??

I don't know, Ned Colletti isn't returning ANY calls to the media about this rumor about the Dodgers going after Girardi. Like I said I caught the end of the interview and apparently Ned and Girardi go back a ways. There is a lot of unknowns right now, partly because of the Commish sending out a memo that there is to be no announcements from all teams during the world series.

Hopefully the Red Sox sweep the Rox so I can find out soon!

I keed I keed. Ha!

elsid13
10-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't know, Ned Colletti isn't returning ANY calls to the media about this rumor about the Dodgers going after Girardi. Like I said I caught the end of the interview and apparently Ned and Girardi go back a ways. There is a lot of unknowns right now, partly because of the Commish sending out a memo that there is to be no announcements from all teams during the world series.

Hopefully the Red Sox sweep the Rox so I can find out soon!

I keed I keed. Ha!

hasn't stopped the freaking yankees attempts to steal the spotlight.

24champ
10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
hasn't stopped the freaking yankees attempts to steal the spotlight.

True, but I think the Yankees already have come to a decision but can't announce it which is fueling a bunch of speculation etc etc.

elsid13
10-25-2007, 07:58 PM
True, but I think the Yankees already have come to a decision but can't announce it which is fueling a bunch of speculation etc etc.

I have strange feeling if it wasn't the Sox in the WS, it would be a little less noise out of NY

Sassy
10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
GO ROCKIES!!!

Jens1893
10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Bump to save the Rockies

DomCasual
10-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Bump to save the Rockies

I sent a PM to jth to close that other thread. I think it's cursed, and I'm going to avoid it.

Bronco LB 59
10-27-2007, 02:14 AM
I apologize to any Red Sox fans here if you thought I was being a jerk in the other thread. I am not a Red Sox hater. I lived in Boston for one summer. I loved every second of it.

I'm just annoyed by the "Nation" phenomenon and all the fans who have come of the woodwork in recent years. The type of people that are described in this column!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/26/red_sox_have_spoiled_some_fans/?page=1

I am sure all the resident Red Sox fans here (elsid, Orange Shadow, PatsWin, Drek, Evenrude, Crowpointer) were following the team religiously when the Red Sox were fortunate to get a 20K crowd on cold school night during the early 1990s. I have nothing against the diehards, just these newbies that give the longtime loyalists a bad name.

Jens1893
10-27-2007, 02:17 AM
I sent a PM to jth to close that other thread. I think it's cursed, and I'm going to avoid it.

TJ wonīt close it as too many people are posting on there so weīll just have to try to make people post here.

Bronco LB 59
10-27-2007, 02:20 AM
No surprise here, Ortiz will play 1B over Youkilis in Game 3:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/27/big_papi_to_play_first_base_in_colorado/

DomCasual
10-27-2007, 02:21 AM
TJ wonīt close it as too many people are posting on there so weīll just have to try to make people post here.

I'm done over there. I know it's crazy, and completely illogical. But I swear, my Rockies thread was killing them. I'm glad jth asked TJ to kill it. Maybe that will count for something. We need to watch that thread, and leave REP messages (or PMs) for each Rockies fan that posts over there. Get them back over here, where the Rockies have won 21 out of 22.

DomCasual
10-27-2007, 02:23 AM
No surprise here, Ortiz will play 1B over Youkilis in Game 3:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/27/big_papi_to_play_first_base_in_colorado/

No matter how everything turns out, watching Ortiz and Manny play defense at Coors Field should count for some entertainment points, at least. :)

I am a homer, but I feel the Rockies are going to come out tomorrow smoking. I don't think it will be 13-1, but I think the Rockies will win convincingly.

Jens1893
10-27-2007, 02:32 AM
No matter how everything turns out, watching Ortiz and Manny play defense at Coors Field should count for some entertainment points, at least. :)

I am a homer, but I feel the Rockies are going to come out today smoking. I don't think it will be 13-1, but I think the Rockies will win convincingly.

Hey, itīs Saturday even for you! Get some rest before you go on your trip.

No1BroncoFan
10-27-2007, 02:37 AM

I am a homer, but I feel the Rockies are going to come out tomorrow smoking. I don't think it will be 13-1, but I think the Rockies will win convincingly.

Sure would be nice!

Ben

DomCasual
10-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Hey, itīs Saturday even for you! Get some rest before you go on your trip.

Ah, we're in a hotel in Grand Junction. We're catching Game Three at my brother's house, then hitting game four. It's going to be a great trip. I feel like I'm making very personal history with my son. There are so many things you do that just pass the time. You go to a movie, or an amusement park - maybe he has vague memories of it as he grows older. But doing a road trip to catch a World Series game - that's something that will be etched into our relationship like verse in granite. Definitely good times!

No1BroncoFan
10-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Ah, we're in a hotel in Grand Junction. We're catching Game Three at my brother's house, then hitting game four. It's going to be a great trip. I feel like I'm making very personal history with my son. There are so many things you do that just pass the time. You go to a movie, or an amusement park - maybe he has vague memories of it as he grows older. But doing a road trip to catch a World Series game - that's something that will be etched into our relationship like verse in granite. Definitely good times!
Doing something that is a once in a lifetime thing will certainly leave great memories. Have fun Dom.

(A green with envy) Ben

Hotrod
10-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Just to clarify after talking to my father last night it was my Grandfather who was a Boston Braves fan for those interested. He laughed and threatened to beat me for calling him old enough to be a Boston Braves fan. Anyway he picked up the "family team" when they moved to Millwakee (sp). He simply knows the history of the team back before he was born/wearing diapers Ha!

Coors field or bust Woohoo

elsid13
10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I apologize to any Red Sox fans here if you thought I was being a jerk in the other thread. I am not a Red Sox hater. I lived in Boston for one summer. I loved every second of it.

I'm just annoyed by the "Nation" phenomenon and all the fans who have come of the woodwork in recent years. The type of people that are described in this column!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/26/red_sox_have_spoiled_some_fans/?page=1

I am sure all the resident Red Sox fans here (elsid, Orange Shadow, PatsWin, Drek, Evenrude, Crowpointer) were following the team religiously when the Red Sox were fortunate to get a 20K crowd on cold school night during the early 1990s. I have nothing against the diehards, just these newbies that give the longtime loyalists a bad name.

Why are looking a seat on the champion bus??? (;D)

Don't worry I won't speak for the rest but I don't get angry over message board stuff. Unfortunately the Sox have become the Dallas Cowboys of the MLB. I think you need to sit through a season of Jack the Ripper playing to full appreciate a team. I have strange feeling we are going back to the Winning Celtic era- either you loved the team or you hated it. no in between

bombay
10-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Picked up a Rockpile this morning for $200, which I guess is alright. I'll use it as a standing room ticket.

Go Rockies!

24champ
10-28-2007, 11:21 PM
A-Rod opts out
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoENd63jLpLj9xHCNdvVT485nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-rodriguez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jens1893
10-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Yankees have offered Girardi a deal to become their new manager.

worm
10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Surprised that Joe has become such a hot commodity lately.

Bronco LB 59
10-29-2007, 01:43 PM

I agree. Girardi has one 78-84 season under his belt, and he wasn't on speaking terms with the general manager, a huge red flag in my eyes.

24champ
10-30-2007, 01:25 AM

PER ESPN Sportscenter just breaking right now....

Joe Torre to manage the LA Dodgers and bench coach Mattingly reportedly will join Torre in LA.

Crowpointer
10-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Good post, thanks . I actually stopped posting on anything Red Sox because people other than those you listed above were coming out of the woodwork as "Sox Fans". It got really beat. Rally starts hear in 1/2 hour. It is a rolling rally in the duck boats through the city. I will walk over as they approach the financial district. Papelbon is going to be on a flatbed tractor trailer with the Dropkick Murphys wearing a kilt doing the "dance" . Let me add congrats to the Rocks on a great season. Time to gear up for the fun.

BMF Bronco
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
PER ESPN Sportscenter just breaking right now....

Joe Torre to manage the LA Dodgers and bench coach Mattingly reportedly will join Torre in LA.

Ahh, ****! Great news for LA and Torre, ****ty news for the rest of the NL West

24champ
10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
By GEORGE KING
Joe Torre Agrees In Principle To Manage Dodgers
Joe Torre Agrees In Principle To Manage Dodgers
Discussion Board
I was never a Dodgers fan,actually I resented them when I was younger during the 70's. Now I have to root for the Dodgers especially if Mattingly joins Torre in the Dugout. Ours prayers are with you Joe...
posted by benito
Click here to comment
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

October 30, 2007 -- With Grady Little out of the way in , Joe Torre is the Dodgers' first choice to take over the club. According to sources, Torre has agreed in principle to a three-year deal worth $14.5 million and could be introduced Thursday, the same day the Yankees are holding a press conference to welcome Joe Girardi, Torre's successor, at Yankee Stadium.

And Alex Rodriguez could be following Torre from The Bronx to Hollywood. One of the reasons Rodriguez opted out of the last three years on his Yankees' contract was he wasn't sure what Yankees life would be like without Torre's calming presence in the clubhouse and dugout. In the Dodgers, Rodriguez will find a club in dire need of a jolt at the plate and in the stands.

Third-base coach Larry Bowa and Don Mattingly are expected to join Torre in L.A. Hitting coach Kevin Long is staying with the Yankees and is close to signing a three-year deal worth nearly $1M. There are whispers Jose Cardenal, a coach under Torre in the early Yankees years, will be part of Torre’s staff. Current Dodgers pitching coach Rick Honeycutt is a candidate to remain.

The Dodgers first made contact with Torre's agent Maury Gostfriend before Torre flew to Tampa two weeks ago and rejected the Yankees' one-year offer of $5 million with a chance to make $3 million more in incentives. It's the first time Gostfriend, who usually does endorsement deals for Torre, got involved in baseball negotiations for Torre. Out of respect for Little, who managed the Dodgers for two years and fell victim to a fractured clubhouse and less than solid relationship with some of his coaches, Torre refused comment on the situation.

Little resigned yesterday with $1 million guaranteed for next season. The Dodgers recently picked up a 2009 option on Little for an undisclosed amount of money. The Dodgers started talking to Little about a buyout last week.

Torre, who spurned the Yankees' one-year, $5 million offer to return on Oct. 18, didn't return messages last night.

"(Dodgers GM) Ned (Colletti) and I have been in constant communication since the end of the season and decided mutually that this was the best move for the Dodgers to take," Little said yesterday in a conference call.

Little, who was sacked by the Red Sox following Aaron Boone's dramatic homer in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, said talk of Torre taking his job didn't play a part in stepping down.

"None whatsoever; I have personal reasons," Little said.

Though Colletti contradicted Little saying it was a mutual decision - Colletti said he wanted Little back - the hiring of Torre was believed to be orchestrated by owner Frank McCourt wanting to make a splash with his underachieving club.

"I wanted Grady Little back, I encouraged him to think it through," Colletti said.

Because Girardi turned down a three-year deal worth $7.5 million from the Dodgers to follow Torre in The Bronx, many believe Torre was the Dodgers' second choice. However, that hasn't been confirmed.

"We've talked to other people a little bit to gauge their level of interest because talking to Grady at the end of the season I wasn't sure he was coming back," Colletti said.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10302007/sports/joe_torre_agrees_to_manage_los.htm

elsid13
10-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Arod and Nomar in same locker room, wonder how that would work out.

24champ
10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Arod and Nomar in same locker room, wonder how that would work out.

I don't want to get my hopes up about Arod coming to LA, but McCourt per some insider on a Dodger board basically gave Ned Coletti a blank check and told him to get it done. Plus Arod wanted to play for the Dodgers before the 1993 draft took place, telling the Mariners NOT to draft him so the Dodgers could take him at 2.

24champ
11-01-2007, 05:38 PM
It's official, Torre is the new manager of the Dodgers.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="yspsctnhdln">Torre succeeds Little as Dodgers manager
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="7"><spacer type="block" height="1" width="1"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> LOS ANGELES, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre has been hired to take charge of the Los Angeles Dodgers in place of Grady Little, the Major League Baseball team announced on Thursday.
Torre, who two weeks ago declined an offer to return to New York on a one-year deal, has signed a three-year contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApI6JWlgTbyJyUgVjqc2Qlo5nYcB?slug=ap-dodgers-torre&prov=ap&type=lgns

After much deliberation, Joe Torre has agreed to take the Dodgers' unexpectedly vacant manager's job.
Torre and the Dodgers completed a three-year deal Thursday, FOXSports.com has learned.Don Mattingly and Larry Bowa will be joining Torre's staff in L.A., although their exact roles were unknown.
It was an outcome that hardly seemed likely when the Dodgers' season ended, when owner Frank McCourt and GM Ned Colletti gave then-manager Grady Little a vote of confidence, even though the team finished in fourth in the NL West after having the National League's best record as late as mid-July.
But after Torre declined to accept the Yankees' one-year offer, Little's status became considerably shakier and, besieged by rumors of his impending departure, he resigned his position earlier this week.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right">http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header_left.gif</td> <td class="moreTeamsHdr" valign="top" width="250"><center></center>
</td> <td align="left">http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header_right.gif</td> </tr> <!-- ========== GALLERY THUMBNAIL ROW ========= --> <tr> <td class="moreTeamsLinks" colspan="3" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(157, 157, 157); border-right: 1px solid rgb(157, 157, 157); padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px;" align="left" width="250"> <table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="230"> <tbody><tr><td>http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7264556_36_6.gif</td></tr> <tr><td class="caption">
</td></tr> </tbody></table>

</td> </tr> <!-- ========== LINKS ========= --> <tr> <td class="moreTeamsLinks" colspan="3" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(157, 157, 157); border-right: 1px solid rgb(157, 157, 157); padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px;" width="240"> What's hot:
Torre agrees to manage Dodgers (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7399154)
Hingis retires amid cocaine rumors (http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7398912)
Bulls GM: Kobe not coming to Chicago (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7398386)
Photog took pics of Sharapova's crotch (http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/7397518)
Whitlock: Is Manning a big-game QB? (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7397390)
Rosen: Cavs looking really rusty (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7395974)
<hr width="50%"> Top stories (http://msn.foxsports.com/)|Rumors (http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors)|Video (http://msn.foxsports.com/video)|Photos (http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?workingCategoryId=0) </td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_footer.gif</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
The Dodgers can only hope that Torre, who managed the Yankees to four World Series titles and 12 playoff appearances in his 12 seasons in New York, can reverse their postseason ineptitude of the last two decades.
Since winning the 1988 World Series, the Dodgers have not won a single playoff series and have, in fact, managed to win just one postseason game during that stretch

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7399154

Paladin
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
*yawn*

PatsWin2002
11-01-2007, 08:19 PM
*yawn*

Nice of you to show up again. You disappeared for a week....no doubt waiting to pounce if the Rockies won a game. 8')

RhymesayersDU
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
So is this Torre thing a big deal? I mean, I know from a media standpoint, he quit the Yanks, then took a job with the Dodgers, meanwhile the Dodgers had a manager, yadda yadda yadda. From that standpoint, it's a big deal.

But from a managing standpoint, my question is, will he have a huge impact for the Dodgers? As somebody new to the sport, I wonder, is there any difference in managing in one league vs. the other? Do you have to be an "NL manager" or something like that? Or is baseball the same everywhere, despite the rule changes with the DH?

Basically, I'm getting more and more into baseball, but this deal with the AL and NL playing under different rules, I'm still kinda wrapping my head around that one.

elsid13
11-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Thought that this was good article - I doubt folks will read it here
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=yp-gennaroeconomics103107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The dominance of the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/;_ylt=AvWJJ2bxpJG1rfAC9ik9.h8yNbgF) over the Colorado Rockies (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/col/;_ylt=Au02RxzKihb0SIYIciYAkmQyNbgF) didn't end with the last out of the World Series. It should carry over into dollars and cents as well – although neither team is expected cash in on their October runs as much as might be expected.
Over the next five years, the Red Sox should realize a cumulative $45 million in additional revenue for achieving their second World Series championship in four years, while the Rockies stand to gain an estimated $30 million as a result of getting to the Fall Classic for the first time.
Neither figure is staggering relative to today's player salaries and team valuations. Denver's smallish market size puts a cap on the Rockies' potential take, and the team's disappointing performance against the Red Sox could dampen it as well. Had the Rockies won the championship, they might stand to gain an additional $10 million to $20 million.
The Red Sox have their own limitations to converting their title into an even bigger payday. They already play to capacity crowds at Fenway Park, which strips them of virtually any chance to increase ticket and luxury suite sales, and the financial gains realized from their 2004 championship diminish the impact of their latest accomplishment.
The "perfect storm" for creating financial value from a World Series title would be a large market team with available stadium capacity and a championship dry spell. The Los Angeles Dodgers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/lad/;_ylt=AoV32Tbn8F8lR021zQQI91kyNbgF), who played before 85% of capacity at Dodger Stadium in 2007 and haven't been to the World Series in 19 years, would have earned a $65 million payoff.
An in-depth analysis of the relationship between winning and earnings can be found in "Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AktUp58MbTSmOYQOcKg2r4AyNbgF/SIG=11vpc4r7j/**http%3A//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0977743632/romej-20)," an innovative look at the business of baseball. <!--Chart is here -->
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2007/10/ipt/1193775385.jpg Over the next two months, the Red Sox and Rockies will begin to cash in on the additional fan interest they stimulated in October. With plenty of available seats at Coors Field, the Rockies will rely on a surge in ticket sales, while the sold-out Red Sox will rely more on their team-owned regional sports network to monetize the World Series' value. (See chart.)
The Rockies' payoff likely will follow the familiar pattern experienced by teams that have been absent from the postseason for many years. It started with a predictable chain of events: As fans scrambled to buy postseason tickets over the last several weeks, they undoubtedly were disappointed by the lack of availability through the team and the seat choices and pricing in the secondary market. Now that Rocktober has temporarily validated the team's entertainment value, a growing number of fans will want to avoid a repeat of the scrum for playoff tickets and buy full- or partial-season ticket packages for 2008, which they view as an "option" on future playoff seats.
This should lead to the Rockies cashing in much like the Detroit Tigers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/det/;_ylt=AgiSajf8W3x80iUSMc4YdFYyNbgF) did after the 2006 season. The Tigers entered 2006 with about 9,000 season tickets sold, and their World Series appearance triggered a doubling of their season-ticket base for 2007. Even in football-crazed Denver, the Rockies are likely to turn this year's 14,000 season tickets into 20,000 to 25,000 next year, and that's on top of a substantial increase in single-game and group sales. Luxury suites can be another important revenue driver, particularly for a team such as the Rockies, who have room to grow in that area. A World Series appearance improves a team's status as an entertainment vehicle for deep-pocket and corporate customers, raising the demand for lucrative luxury suites.
The major benefit of a World Series berth is that it triggers a multi-year revenue stream. Even if the Rockies do not return to the postseason for the next five years, they will enjoy the residual effects of this run. They likely will experience a modest attrition rate each year, losing only a portion of their new-found season-ticket holders, particularly if they remain competitive. History shows that it takes five full years to lose the attendance and revenue gains generated by a trip to the Fall Classic.
In extreme cases, such as the 1997 Florida Marlins (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/fla/;_ylt=AiseL_qU.ObKemk9cJXK8YMyNbgF)' broad sell-off of veteran players, the bond of trust with local fans can be broken and the financial benefits of a championship can dissolve in short order. Teams that invest much of their windfall in free agents and player development, such as the New York Yankees (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nyy/;_ylt=AjScn531DbDcUHqe_g6M2nIyNbgF) and Red Sox, can parlay one championship into a string of postseason appearances, creating a cycle of success.
Since the Red Sox have had 388 consecutive regular-season sellouts, they need to look beyond ticket sales to monetize the value of their title. They have the ultimate incentive: In order to do battle in the highly competitive American League East, they need every revenue dollar to fund their ongoing battle with the Yankees, their archrival and a financial juggernaut.
Typically, a hefty ticket price increase follows a trip to the World Series. In the wild-card era, teams that won the World Series raised their prices an average of 10.8 percent, considerably higher than the MLB average increase of 6.8 percent. For the Red Sox, this strategy may prove risky as they already have the highest ticket prices in baseball, with seats averaging nearly $48 each. However, it's likely that an aggressive hike would be tolerated by Red Sox fans – either current season-ticket holders or those waiting for a chance to watch games at Fenway. Even if the Red Sox break the $50 average ticket-price barrier for 2008, they won't be alone for long because the Yankees expect to raise prices beyond $50 with their move into a new ballpark in 2009.
Another impact of heightened fan interest is a boost to broadcast ratings. The Rockies may have less to gain because they are under contract with Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain (FSN-RM) until 2014 in a deal that originally was for $200 million over 10 years. FSN-RM is also a minority owner of the Rockies, having purchased an estimated 10 percent to 15 percent of the team for about $20 million in 2004.
Some broadcast contracts include a modest bonus clause which kicks in when a team reaches the postseason, but the resulting revenue would pale in comparison to what the Red Sox stand to gain through their team-owned regional sports network, the New England Sports Network (NESN). By having an 80 percent ownership stake in NESN, the Red Sox have directly connected revenues to their on-field success.
While the Rockies probably need to wait until their contract with FSN-RM is up to renew at a higher fee and capture the value of higher ratings, the Red Sox's ownership stake in NESN allows them to share directly in increased advertising revenue. The Red Sox can also benefit if NESN raises subscriber fees, since the World Series victory makes the Red Sox (and therefore NESN) an absolute "must have" for all cable and satellite distributors in New England. With an anticipated growth in subscriber fees, households and ad revenues, this year's World Series victory could translate into an eventual $30 million increase in the asset value of NESN, 80% of which directly benefits the Red Sox.
A deep playoff run brings mixed news for the team's corporate sponsors. Their ads will be viewed by many more fans and their brands will be held in higher esteem because of the association with a winning club, but their sponsorships will cost more when their contracts expire because other brands and businesses might be anxious to take their place.
Merchandise sales also will spike as fans want to be seen in their winning team's logo and gear. Despite pitcher Curt Schilling (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4267/;_ylt=Anb3caMw0uumqXh1iWlc.80yNbgF)'s uncertain future with the Red Sox, for example, fans will view a jersey with his name on the back as a direct connection to the memories of the 2004 and 2007 championships, serving as a not-so-secret handshake with their brethren of Red Sox Nation. The DVD of the championship run will be in high demand, and everything bearing a Red Sox logo should get a lift, especially merchandise that is World Series-specific.
Virtually every component of a team's revenue equation – ticket sales, television contracts, advertising rates, corporate sponsorships and merchandising – experiences a shot of adrenaline as a result of a World Series appearance. But what causes fans and sponsors to spend more to support a winner? There is no shortage of theories and studies.
One popular theory is that it takes winning to bring aboard the casual or "bandwagon" fans that swell ticket sales and broadcast ratings. And studies show that athletic success triggers the brain to produce feel-good hormones that enhance self-confidence. Although it may not be rational, fans respond to wins and losses as if theyparticipated in the competition. Add to these theories the fact that people desire to be part of social organizations – especially ones held in high esteem – and we can begin to understand why winning a championship, or getting close, has such a dramatic impact on a franchise. Fans think of their championship team as a high-quality product, leading to more demand and greater revenues, the same as with most other consumer goods.
The financial reward for reaching the World Series, or even the league championship series, is an important driver of a team's financial performance and has a far-reaching impact on front-office decisions. It often serves as the primary financial motivation to add a key free agent at what may seem to be a steep price. That's why a player's dollar value to a team is highly situational. If he is perceived to be the last piece of the puzzle that elevates a team into the postseason and triggers a potential $20 million to $50 million revenue stream, he'll merit the big bucks. This helps explain teams' behavior in the free-agent market – the clubs that drive up the bidding believe they are in the hunt for a playoff spot and a potential jackpot.
However, there is no guarantee that teams will spend their World Series gains on payroll. The Red Sox paid players $143 million in 2007 – second only to the Yankees – and it marked a 12 percent increase from their championship 2004 team. The Rockies, however, ranked 26th out of 30 teams with a $54 million payroll. Teams on average spend 49 percent of their revenue on payroll, yet the Rockies spent only 28.4 percent of their revenue on players – ranking next to last in baseball.
Postseason baseball is a moneymaker for any team. While owners dream about the glory of holding a championship trophy in a champagne-drenched locker room, the smile they wear may be an acknowledgement of the financial payoff just around the corner. Yet the windfall can be mitigated by many factors, and the exuberance in Boston and Denver might be tempered when the dollars are finally tallied.
Vince Gennaro is a consultant to several Major League Baseball teams and the author of "Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AjJi62smQHSMRfG0Z8afh.8yNbgF/SIG=11vpc4r7j/**http%3A//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0977743632/romej-20)," an innovative look at the business of baseball. This followed a 20-year career at PepsiCo, where he was president of a billion-dollar division. Gennaro teaches a graduate course on the business of baseball in the Sports Business Management program at Manhattanville College.

Crowpointer
11-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Nice of you to show up again. You disappeared for a week....no doubt waiting to pounce if the Rockies won a game. 8')

Did you ever think that a couple of South Shore guys like us would see 2 World series and 3 Super Bowls ? (and we're NOT EVEN OVER!) It wasn't that long ago we were loserville with the city hall rally for Bourque as an Avalanche (I bet most of the Colorado guys even know about that) Looks like a bad N'oreaster tommorow morning. I have to help my buddy get his boat out this afternoon. I've been waking up in the night thinking about sunday's game. Time will come to stop around here at 4:15 on sunday.

Crowpointer
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
great photos of the plane ride home on barstool. http://www.barstoolsports.com/

Paladin
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Fugoff! I attended a funeral service for a dear friend, and visited a seriously ailing favored aunt. Not that it is any of your frigging business, fag.....

I did not watch but a small part of any of the games, and I did nto come to the site - or any s-te - excepot tho pick up e-mail for the last couple of weeks. The games - including the Broncos - suddenly became very unimportant and inconsequential to me. I couldn't care less as to who won. There are some things that a a bit more important than boasting that you come from an area that has some other fellows winning something or other. I am sure your royalty check is in the mail. Go get flogged at a hohouse......

PatsWin2002
11-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Fugoff! I attended a funeral service for a dear friend, and visited a seriously ailing favored aunt. Not that it is any of your frigging business, fag.....

I call BS. You were the resident Nazi in the baseball thread for weeks and conveniently disappeared when your team did. It's not like I was the only one who noticed.

Paladin
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I call BS. You were the resident Nazi in the baseball thread for weeks and conveniently disappeared when your team did. It's not like I was the only one who noticed.

Don't matter much what you believe,now, does it? Suckk me!

Hotrod
11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
The game was an awesome experiance even thou we lost. I'll write up some more of the thoughts etc later. Im really busy right now.

I do want to take a second to recognize the Boston fans. When I first saw their #'s I thought "oh ****". I was very concerned they would bring some kind of east coast snobish/were better then you "western folks" kind of attitude. Anyway I spoke with/sat by a fair number of these Boston fans and all I can say is they represented very well. Very knowledgeable and gracious winners. Im sure there were some that were black sheep but overall an excellent fan base. On the other hand I was pretty disappointed in some of the drunk Rockies fans :nono:

PatsWin2002
11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't matter much what you believe,now, does it? Suckk me!

Here's a free and valuable lesson: Don't act like a douche and people won't treat you like one.

RhymesayersDU
11-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Tulo got hosed for ROY.

OrangeShadow
11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Dustin Pedroia!!!

RhymesayersDU
11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
DP deserved it, at least from what I saw in the post season. Congrats to him.

Billy Clyde Puckett
11-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Tulo got hosed for ROY.

Bastards

OrangeShadow
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
DP deserved it, at least from what I saw in the post season. Congrats to him.

Kid played the last 2 months with a broken bone in his glove hand:strong:

elsid13
11-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Kid played the last 2 months with a broken bone in his glove hand:strong:

Where did you hear that?

Hopefully the ROY isn't a freaking curse.

Drek
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Where did you hear that?

Hopefully the ROY is a freaking curse.

He had a hairline fracture to his hamate bone, had it operated on a couple days ago.

Its crazy but he said it started bothering him in late August/early September if I recall, and 4 of his 10 homers this year came after the fact. Most guys lose a ton of power with that kind of injury and take a few months getting it back after the fact (its what Wily Mo had during the '06 season), but I'm not quite so worried about Pedroia in that regard, his crazy ass swing generates most of its power from the entire rest of his body, not a quick snap of the wrists at contact.

DomCasual
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Posted this under MLB, too. Good job, Yorvit - a truly good guy. And good job, Rockies, for not paying him the 3 years, $15 million he's reportedly getting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112042

Agent: Ex-Rockies catcher to agree to deal with Mets

By Andrew Marchand
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 15, 2007, 1:52 PM ET

Free-agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba will agree to a three-year contract with the New York Mets on Thursday, according to Torrealba's agent, Melvin Roman.

Roman told 1050 ESPN New York that he expects to formalize the agreement with the Mets this afternoon. Roman declined to reveal how much the contract would be worth. GM Omar Minaya did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Torrealba, 29, is expected to be the starter. Ramon Castro will remain the backup but will receive more playing time than he did when Paul Lo Duca was the Mets' starting catcher. Lo Duca is also a free agent.

Last season, Torrealba hit .255 with eight homers and 47 RBIs for the NL champion Colorado Rockies. As a hitter, he showed a large disparity on the road as compared to Coors Field. Torrealba hit .296 with six homers and 34 RBIs in Denver, while he batted just .212 with two homers and 13 RBIs on the road.

The Mets, though, are signing Torrealba mainly for his defense. Rockies pitchers gave Torrealba a lot of credit for how he called a game, though he did not have a high success rate when trying to throw runners out.

Torrealba only caught 13-of-74 base-stealers, while the man he replaces, Lo Duca, nailed 17-of-89.

Torrealba played in 113 games lasts season, by far his most as a major-leaguer. In his previous seven seasons, Torrealba had only topped 60 games three times, peaking a 66 in 2003 with the San Francisco Giants.

The Rockies and Florida Marlins were believed to be the other two teams interested in Torrealba.

The Mets' first choice to replace Lo Duca was Jorge Posada, but the New York Yankees never gave the Mets a chance to offer Posada any money. Just before open free agency began this week, the Yankees extended Posada a four-year, $52.4 million offer that he accepted.

BMF Bronco
11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
We can find another catcher, not too worried about this move.

DomCasual
11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
We can find another catcher, not too worried about this move.

Especially one the caliber on Yorvit. The only thing that makes me pause is the rapport he had built with the pitching staff - specifically, Ubaldo and Morales. But there's only so much you can pay for intangibles.

BMF Bronco
11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Exactly, not like he was the greatest at throwing runners out. But I am not going to chastise the guy, as he had some clutch hits in the post season.

BMF Bronco
11-15-2007, 05:16 PM
CNN Breaking News
Sent:
Thu 11/15/07 3:15 PM

Reply-to:
newseditor@MAIL.CNN.COM

To:
TEXTBREAKINGNEWS@CNNIMAIL12.CNN.COM

-- A federal grand jury indicts Barry Bonds on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, AP and CNN affiliate KTVU report.

</PRE>

Hotrod
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Bwhahahahahahahahaha screw you baroid

BMF Bronco
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I know, I love it! asterik motha ****a!

Crowpointer
11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Field Boxes at Fenway up to $125 from $105. I'm in for 2 games (4 seats) on a season ticket which means $1000 due in December. Kraft wants his playoff money $708 by Dec 7th and I just picked up 4 seats 4 rows off the floor for the C's from a season ticket holder against the Hornets in March for $380 (money paid yesterday) I'm friggin drowning in ticket Bills. I hope I have enough for Christmas presents for the kids. Yikes!

elsid13
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Field Boxes at Fenway up to $125 from $105. I'm in for 2 games (4 seats) on a season ticket which means $1000 due in December. Kraft wants his playoff money $708 by Dec 7th and I just picked up 4 seats 4 rows off the floor for the C's from a season ticket holder against the Hornets in March for $380 (money paid yesterday) I'm friggin drowning in ticket Bills. I hope I have enough for Christmas presents for the kids. Yikes!

I would tell that their Christmas was sacrificed for higher calling this year. ;D

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2007, 08:08 AM
and I just picked up 4 seats 4 rows off the floor for the C's from a season ticket holder against the Hornets in March for $380 (money paid yesterday)

Wow. Must be a friend.....they could've gotten at least twice that if they wanted to.

Crowpointer
11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow. Must be a friend.....they could've gotten at least twice that if they wanted to.

Yes I know it's hard to believe but I do have friends. Another friend who works at the garden is going to get my oldest out on the court pregame for the "Kids court" with Lucky.

DomCasual
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
A lot of Rockies stuff in one article.

Jayson Nix likely wins the starting 2B job, with classy Marcus Giles either getting traded (unlikely) or released.

Kip Wells sucks.

The last rotation spot is likely down to Morales and Redman - my guess is that it will be Redman.

Just a few more days! :)

http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_8672916

Nix looks set; Wells to bullpen

TUCSON — The Rockies moved closer to finalizing their rotation Sunday by shifting Kip Wells to the bullpen, and all but declared Jayson Nix the starter at second base by cutting ties with Marcus Giles.

Technically, the Giles matter remains unresolved, but the Rockies are attempting to trade him to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Giles told teammates goodbye after the Rockies' 8-2 victory over the Dodgers at Hi Corbett Field. He is pulling for a trade, revealing that he would not accept a Triple-A assignment.

"No, I won't be going to the minors, but I can't thank this organization enough for giving me a chance when teams weren't exactly beating my door down," Giles said. "I feel like I am stronger than I have ever been.

"But Nixy showed he's ready. He's a great guy, a great teammate, and I am not surprised they are going in that direction."

When asked if Nix had won the job, manager Clint Hurdle said he wasn't prepared to say that. However, Nix's play — he is hitting .286 after doubling against the Dodgers and had a terrific defensive stab going to his left in the sixth inning — has made it fairly obvious.

"He has been gaining momentum from the start," Hurdle said. "He barreled up another ball today, and defensively he's got a lot of confidence."

Wells ranks among one the camp's biggest disappointments. Guaranteed $3.1 million as a free agent, the right-hander has been unable to limit traffic on the bases. He worked four innings Sunday, his outing cut short because the Rockies had told him he was moving to a relief role to work out some kinks.

That leaves left-handers Franklin Morales and Mark Redman as the leading contenders for the final two rotation spots, with Josh Towers also in the mix.

"As you move forward in spring training, you find ways to help the player and you also find ways to help your team get out of the blocks," Hurdle said after the Rockies routed the Dodgers. "He could go in, along with (Taylor) Buchholz and (Matt) Herges, as a multiple-inning guy."

Hotrod
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Its about time to start the 2008 thread woohoo

Jens1893
03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Its about time to start the 2008 thread woohoo

I donīt think Dom should start that one though. Domīs baseball threads are cursed.

DomCasual
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
I donīt think Dom should start that one though. Domīs baseball threads are cursed.

Yeah, no way. Someone else needs to jump in and do it.

Beantown Bronco
03-24-2008, 01:42 PM

Did someone say something about a "curse"?

elsid13
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Did someone say something about a "curse"?

I think Pedro plucked the fat man in the ass, who was cursing us.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Dodgers picked up Joe Blanton confirmed and Cliff Lee unconfirmed. This better not cost them Kershaw in the long run.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Ha ha so Philly gets a team to pay that **** ass contract of Lee's then they pull the offer back!

TheChamp24
08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Ha ha so Philly gets a team to pay that **** ass contract of Lee's then they pull the offer back!

Its the typical waiver process.

Team A puts player on waivers, team B claims player on waivers.

Sides then try to agree to a trade, if no trade, then Team A pulls player off of waivers.

A way to bypass the trade deadline.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Its the typical waiver process.

Team A puts player on waivers, team B claims player on waivers.

Sides then try to agree to a trade, if no trade, then Team A pulls player off of waivers.

A way to bypass the trade deadline.

lol I just realized this was the wrong baseball thread. Hilarious!