PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22

Hogan11
10-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Congrats Guys :thumbs:

Now don't lose that edge waiting for the AL opponet....8 days right?

SpringStein
10-16-2007, 01:36 AM
WORLD SERIES!!!

Who woulda thunk it?

TheChamp24
10-16-2007, 01:37 AM
NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo
GET ME SOME NL CHAMPS GEAR!

Rohirrim
Wow! Totally Awesome. !Booya!

broncocalijohn
How's THAT for drama!

NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Now we need to try to find some tickets next week. Get your car and hotel now on priceline before prices get driven up.

Rigs11
10-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Yessss!!!

http://www.zenwaiter.com/photos/indexnew/fat%20lady%20sings.jpg

Pezman
10-16-2007, 01:39 AM
congrats Rockies!!!

Hogan11
10-16-2007, 01:40 AM
What did Willie say? ??? Can't make out a word of it

Sassy
CONGRATS ROCKIES FANS!!! AWESOME!

DomCasual
Now we need to try to find some tickets next week. Get your car and hotel now on priceline before prices get driven up.

Dude, I'm close enough to drive.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, MAN!!!!

broncocalijohn
10-16-2007, 01:41 AM
NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo
GET ME SOME NL CHAMPS GEAR!

Do what i did when the Angels kept winning in the playoffs; WAIT UNTIL THE END! All those that got division gear is now obsolete. I have 2 AFC Championship gear when they ended up winning the Super Bowl. It is nice to wear for the week or two but it is much nicer when it says "World Series Champions".

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:41 AM
What did Willie say? ??? Can't make out a word of it

He said, "The Colorado Rockies are going to the WORLD FREAKIN' SERIES!"

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Helton couldn't even say anything. It's been a long time. Here's to the ghosts of Bichette, Gallaraga, Walker, Weiss, EY, and all the other Blake Street Bombers who launched this franchise. Finally made it to the Big Show!

rovolution
ROCKIES IN THE WORLD SERIES.

Who is the world would have thought!!!!!1

Congrats Rockies!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets finish this thing!!!!!!!!

Hercules Rockefeller
Tix on sale next Monday at 10 am

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:45 AM
So Sassy, remember all that talk about my Super Bowl baby last November? I just had the wrong sport! :)

Sassy
10-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Nah...this Rockies thing is on Hogan and I...we sprinkled Coors field with lucky pixie dust ... or something! Ha! They've only lost one since we've been there ;D

Well, "She" was a different Gender this time! LOL!

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:48 AM
I just can't believe what I'm watching. This is not real! It can't be real!

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Nah...this Rockies thing is on Hogan and I...we sprinkled Coors field with lucky pixie dust ... or something! Ha! They've only lost one since we've been there ;D

Well, "She" was a different Gender this time! LOL!

Hey, YOU GUYS should have a baby for the next BRONCO SEASON! :D

Hercules Rockefeller
10-16-2007, 01:49 AM
I guess the Monforts can't be booed for awhile

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Freakin' Chuck Monfort!

(Think nice thoughts. Think nice thoughts.)

Sassy
10-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Hey, YOU GUYS should have a baby for the next BRONCO SEASON! :D

Uh...NO!

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Never in my life did I ever think I would be saying, "Good job, Dan O'Dowd."

:thumbsup:

NOLA Bronco
10-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Game 5 of the WS could be in Denver, the same night as MNF vs the Pack!

Holy crap!

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Dan O'Dowd for Excecutive of the Year! And, here comes an "I was wrong" moment - Clint Hurdle for Manager of the Year (although the votes are already cast)!

Hercules Rockefeller
10-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Matt gets the NLCS MVP

Rohirrim
Holliday, MVP!

Sassy
Ok...enough of this GENERAL BASEBALL THREAD...we need a mod to change it to COLORADO ROCKIES HEAD TO THE WORLD SERIES!

SpringStein
10-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Ok...enough of this GENERAL BASEBALL THREAD...we need a mod to change it to COLORADO ROCKIES HEAD TO THE WORLD SERIES!

SECONDED!

Kaylore
10-16-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm so happy! The Broncos could lose the rest of the games of the season and I wouldn't be mad at all! This is great! It's such a joyous day! What a week this will be! ;D:strong:

http://img.webring.com/r/c/coloradorockies/logo

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:57 AM
MATT HOLLIDAY is about to become A VERY WEALTHY MAN!

Next year, he'll probably work for a pittance - maybe $10 million. When he gets a new contract, though, it's going to be fore ridiculous money!

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:59 AM
This thread was under 100 pages during the Padres game. Over 200 now.

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Wow! Rockies have swept their way into the World Series. I was at the game many years ago when they found out they were going to their first wild card playoffs. IIRC, we were watching the scoreboard to see if Atlanta lost, or something. After the game the Rockies went running around the perimeter of the field high fiving the fans. That seems so long ago. That was a great memory, but this is even better.

lazarus4444
10-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Is there a rockies fan board?

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Is there a rockies fan board?

http://purplerow.com/ is the one I use. Some really knowledgable fans there.

Rigs11
10-16-2007, 02:06 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/hottest.teams.in.history/images/2007.colorado.cut.jpg

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Ahd this is the Rockies official team messageboard (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ml-rockies).

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 02:15 AM
The Dbacks got 10 hits and the Rockies got 6. That's the key number right there. The Rockies D is so good, the Dbacks couldn't move their baserunners around.

lazarus4444
10-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks Dom!

broncocalijohn
10-16-2007, 02:17 AM
For those looking for WS tickets, here is the message I got from Stubhub as there were too many game 5 tickets (who needs game 5 anyways). If this happens again for WS, expect prices not to be as high as some are afraid.

Due to overwhelming supply for a potential game 5 of the NLCS in <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:STATE w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Colorado</ST1:PLACE></ST1:STATE>, we are no longer accepting e-tickets for NLCS game 5. In addition, the deadline for delivering to us hard tickets will be 12pm Mountain Time on Tuesday, 10/15 – tickets received or dropped off after that time will not be accepted and can not be listed on StubHub.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
<O:P> </O:P>
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.<O:P></O:P>

Paladin
10-16-2007, 02:20 AM
Fuentes darn near lost it!!!!!

Corpas came out to take it back!!!!!

I hope to Goodness the team takes the time to work out the hitting issues before the Series. Tulo is just great in the field, but has been very mediocre in batting. Gotta love the team results, though......

Congratulations, Rockies......

Bronco LB 59
10-16-2007, 02:23 AM
The Dbacks got 10 hits and the Rockies got 6. That's the key number right there. The Rockies D is so good, the Dbacks couldn't move their baserunners around.

D-Backs also played stupid baseball. They looked like a young team that couldn't handle the pressure. Chris Young getting caught stealing foolishly in the first inning. Conor Jackson mishandling the routine grounder that would have gotten them out of the jam. Stephen Drew swinging on a 3-0 count in the ninth. Eric Byrnes swinging at the first pitch with their season at stake.

All of this is a moot point though, the Rockies were the better team.

wabbit
10-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Helton couldn't even say anything. It's been a long time. Here's to the ghosts of Bichette, Gallaraga, Walker, Weiss, EY, and all the other Blake Street Bombers who launched this franchise. Finally made it to the Big Show!

What a great sentiment & tribute Rohirrim...how incredibly fitting. You're the real fan base chemistry that makes this fantasy real.

What a ride...you couldn't make this whole run into a credible movie without the simple fact that it all actually happened.

Go Rockies!! Wow

Sassy
10-16-2007, 02:34 AM
NOTES
The wild-card Rockies joined the 1976 Big Red Machine as the only teams to start a postseason with seven straight wins. Colorado has won 10 in row overall and lost only once since Sept. 16.
In 2001, there were a major league-high 268 homers hit out of Coors Field. This year, there were 185, which ranked 10th.
Rockies entered the season with a payroll of $54.4 million, $2.4 million more than the Diamondbacks. Only four clubs had lower payrolls.

Meck77
10-16-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm so happy! The Broncos could lose the rest of the games of the season and I wouldn't be mad at all! This is great! It's such a joyous day! What a week this will be! ;D:strong:

http://img.webring.com/r/c/coloradorockies/logo

I'm with you until the part about the Broncos losing the rest of the season. No way!

Kaylore I thought you didn't drink man!Ha!

enjolras
10-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Dude, I'm close enough to drive.

I'm close enough to walk:) I actually just got back from the celebration...only a couple of idiots got arrested from what I could see (did beat up a cop car pretty bad tho).

Kaylore
10-16-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm with you until the part about the Broncos losing the rest of the season. No way!

Kaylore I thought you didn't drink man!Ha!

I'm drunk on joy! Don't think I want or think our Boys will go on a skid that bad. I'm just saying that the Rockies doing something once in a lifetime erases most of the other concerns I have in my sporting world. The Broncos went to the Super Bowl for the first time in '77. Elway went in '87. The Avs won a cup in '97. Our '97 year had us win it all (though we really won in '98). So now in '07 it's the Rockies turn. Go Rockies! :)

I got teary eyed when I saw Helton make that catch and then heard his interview. It's so great for him.

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 03:25 AM
What a game. What a celebration. My favorite part was after the game, Helton's wife and little daughter were dancing on the field right in front of us with tears in their eyes.

smalltowngrll
10-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Congrats Rockies fans on your win and sweep!! Good luck in the WS! Should be a great one!

The Rockies appear to be unstoppable....just unstoppable! :strong: :notworthy

Old Dude
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
The whole town is bleary-eyed this AM.

Sassy
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Anyone have any video of Helton dancing with his wife and daughter?

Atwater His Ass
10-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Again, I'm not worried about the 8 day layoff. TBS threw a stat out there that said teams with a 5 or more day layoff before game 1 of the World Series have won 7 out of 10 championships.

This team is just too good to let something like a layoff throw them down.

This is just pretty awesome. I was hoping during the NL championship trophy presentation, that someone would reference the Bronco and Avs world championships and how now the Rockies were going to bring one home. Would have really got the crowd rocking and excited and set the tone.

Anyway, congrats to the Rockies.

defenseman
10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Again, I'm not worried about the 8 day layoff. TBS threw a stat out there that said teams with a 5 or more day layoff before game 1 of the World Series have won 7 out of 10 championships.

This team is just too good to let something like a layoff throw them down.

This is just pretty awesome. I was hoping during the NL championship trophy presentation, that someone would reference the Bronco and Avs world championships and how now the Rockies were going to bring one home. Would have really got the crowd rocking and excited and set the tone.

Anyway, congrats to the Rockies.

My gut tells me, the way the rockies play as a "team", very unselfish bunch of ball players, an 8 day layoff will be of absolutely no consequence..dman

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 10:49 AM
"Holy Crap!!! We're going to the World Series." - Todd Helton

Atwater His Ass
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Also, the guy doing the on-field intervies for TBS has to be one of the worst in the history of the freaking world. He's so boring, talks about boring stuff, and sounds like he's about ready to fall asleep. And his hair is terrible.

bombay
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Great time down at Coors last night. Now rest up , boys, and get ready to lay the wood to the representitive of the junior circuit.

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Anybody know if this is an AL or an NL Series?

bombay
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Anybody know if this is an AL or an NL Series?

If you mean who has home field, the AL thanks to Selig's silly efforts to lend some credence to the All Star game.

Master___Pain
10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
A part of me wants the Sox to win so I can see Man-Ram try and play defense in an expansive outfield......and put Big Papi in the field as well. I also wonder who the Rox are going to have DH? Seth Smith? Joe Koshansky? Koshansky might make the 25 man roster in WS. I guess we have 8 days to figure that stuff out

REB
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Way to go Rocks!!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/REB65/Sweep.gif

bombay
10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
A part of me wants the Sox to win so I can see Man-Ram try and play defense in an expansive outfield......and put Big Papi in the field as well. I also wonder who the Rox are going to have DH? Seth Smith? Joe Koshansky? Koshansky might make the 25 man roster in WS. I guess we have 8 days to figure that stuff out

I kind of feel that way too, for several reasons. The fact that the country would be far more focused on the series if it's Boston and not Cleveland among them. It's a sad fact that the ESPNers of the world kind of control the level of interest for this sort of thing.

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

I know what you mean. I'd LOVE to be hated by Red Sox fans everywhere - LOVE to just cut out their hearts (and so I'm clear - when I say that, I get an image in my head of Bill Simmons and the idiots who became "lifetime Red Sox fans" in, oh, about October 2004; NOT some of the good people who are Red Sox fans on this board). The Indians don't inspire all that much passion in me.

On the other hand, tickets are going to be a lot easier (and cheaper) to come by if the Indians get in. I'd rather not be competing with "Red Sox Nation" :TJnPopps: for tickets, if I can avoid it. It's a much bigger nation than "Indian Nation." :)

Jens1893
10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I know what you mean. I'd LOVE to be hated by Red Sox fans everywhere - LOVE to just cut out their hearts (and so I'm clear - when I say that, I get an image in my head of Bill Simmons and the idiots who became "lifetime Red Sox fans" in, oh, about October 2004; NOT some of the good people who are Red Sox fans on this board). The Indians don't inspire all that much passion in me.

On the other hand, tickets are going to be a lot easier (and cheaper) to come by if the Indians get in. I'd rather not be competing with "Red Sox Nation" :TJnPopps: for tickets, if I can avoid it. It's a much bigger nation than "Indian Nation." :)

Sorry for the thread jack, Dom, but reading the name Bill Simmons makes me rant.

Reading Simmons´ column about the Patriots yesterday made me wonder how many times he had to change his panties during the writing process. He´s unbearable right now. I swear that he´d have sex with Belichick if he could.

And then there´s this gem from Thursday´s article where he picked the NFL games ...

3. When Dallas finally won Monday night's game, they showed Wade Phillips jumping around and the Sports Gal (reading a magazine) looked up, started giggling and asked, "Who's that guy?" When I responded that it was Dallas' coach, she laughed again and said, "That's their coach??? Really? It looks like he should be sitting at a sports bar stuffing his face with chicken wings." I'm supposed to take him against Belichick? Come on.

Is Wade Phillips or Belichick the guy who runs around like a homo?

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/billbelichick.jpg

Paladin
10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Simmons:

Perfect example that every pr.ick finds it's niche.

Rohirrim
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/billbelichick.jpg
"Help me, Obi Wan. You're our only hope." ;D

Jens1893
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/archives/DREW1016.gif

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Fans were crazy

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Ready for the first pitch

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Holiday home run trot

Ramathorn
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I am a diehard red sox fan and I live in ohio, so you can just imagine the kind of BS I am putting up with from these Indians fans. I hope we win tonight so we can head back to boston with a chance at this. There is just no stopping the rockies. They are going to win it all.

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Byrnes ready to take the last fall for the snakes

Paladin
10-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Nice pics. Thanks.

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Trophy presentation

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Best sign:

A
Reptile
Disfunction

With a drawing of a blue pill

elsid13
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I am a diehard red sox fan and I live in ohio, so you can just imagine the kind of BS I am putting up with from these Indians fans. I hope we win tonight so we can head back to boston with a chance at this. There is just no stopping the rockies. They are going to win it all.

Dude stop worrying about the WS, right now Wakefield needs to come out and pitch 7 inning of post season ball and the bats needs to get going. When the Sox get to WS we'll worry about a hot team that been sitting on its ass for 8 days.

Jori
10-16-2007, 06:19 PM

I don't see them bringing in Koshansky to DH. Smith has the hot bat, they may go with him or perhaps a guy like Baker. The only change I see to the roster is whether or not they bring back Cook. Despite the rust, they may be more comfortable with him as the #4 starter then a shaky Morales. We shall see.

Jori
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
"Holy Crap!!! We're going to the World Series." - Todd Helton

Holliday actually said that, but it's a great quote nonetheless.

Paladin
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I would rather the Rockies play the Sawks than the Injuns, actually. If one wants to pimp the program, you gotta draw the larger TV markets. The Injuns are sort of a second tier TV market; a Rockies/Injun series would not get as good a play nationally as a Rox/Sox series would. Why is that important? More money, and the prospects of more National exposure next year. Plus, the misery of a team like the Sawks with their 150 million payroll getting bumped by a team with 54 million payroll, just sounds more like poetic justice to me.....

And, as mentioned earlier, who could pass up watching Ramirez running all over that big Coors outfield chasing balls? And how about the first baseman having to puff his way after a couple of Taveras bunts? Or maybe see Holiday get a shot at that short left field wall? Or Helton getting a shot at the short right field wall? Or....

Gads. The possibilities are endless.......

elsid13
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Manny is better fielder then most people give him credit for. He has decent arm and a quick release. Though sometimes he loses focus.

Papi will play 1st base which he isn't a great liability like some DH. What kills the Sox in NL parks is the fact that they aren't able to get Papi, Lowell and Youks in the batting order at the same time

Paladin
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Best sign:

A
Reptile
Disfunction

With a drawing of a blue pill

Hilarious!

Got a pic?

Jori
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
World Series Schedule:

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps_07.jsp

A potential game five would coincide with the Broncos/Packers Monday night game on Oct 29th. I'm hearing the Avs will move up their Oct 28th game against the Wild from 6:00 PM to 1:00 PM to accomodate fans who want to attend Game 4 and the Avs game.

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't see them bringing in Koshansky to DH. Smith has the hot bat, they may go with him or perhaps a guy like Baker. The only change I see to the roster is whether or not they bring back Cook. Despite the rust, they may be more comfortable with him as the #4 starter then a shaky Morales. We shall see.

I really, really hope Cook is able to go. No offense to Morales - the guy has done a great job, considering he was pitching in Double A for most of the season - but he hasn't instilled a lot of confidence in me his last two starts. The thing with him going to his mouth on the mound is a good example. They call him on that, and he seems to get totally flustered.

I'd feel pretty good about a rotation of Francis, Jimenez, Fogg, and Cook - assuming Cook's healthy.

Kaylore
10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
My only concern is the pitching outside of Jimenez and Francis. The D-backs had one of the worst offenses in the league and they out-hit us. My hope is that was just them getting good at the right time and not our lack of starting depth being exposed.

Jori
10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Out hit the Rox yes, but the D-Backs still didn't get the key hits and that's what matters. That's where the pitching staff stepped up.

Master___Pain
10-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Manny is better fielder then most people give him credit for. He has decent arm and a quick release. Though sometimes he loses focus.

Papi will play 1st base which he isn't a great liability like some DH. What kills the Sox in NL parks is the fact that they aren't able to get Papi, Lowell and Youks in the batting order at the same time

Come on now....Manny is not exactly Willie Mays out there. He might have a strong arm but watching him run around that huge outfield at Coors and him actually having to run after a ball, rather than turn and gather a ricochet like in Boston, is going to be an adventure.

I suspect Papi is not all that mobile at first....dude couldn't even get out of the way of the grounder last night. I hear you on the concern of not having all three of Youkilis, Lowell and Papi in the lineup at Coors.

Who do you think will play third? I could see Taveras and Matsui running Papi's ass of with bunts

elsid13
10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Come on now....Manny is not exactly Willie Mays out there. He might have a strong arm but watching him run around that huge outfield at Coors and him actually having to run after a ball, rather than turn and gather a ricochet like in Boston, is going to be an adventure.

I suspect Papi is not all that mobile at first....dude couldn't even get out of the way of the grounder last night. I hear you on the concern of not having all three of Youkilis, Lowell and Papi in the lineup at Coors.

Who do you think will play third? I could see Taveras and Matsui running Papi's ass of with bunts

I didn't say he was Willie Mays rather he better fielder then most people think. He does make some plays that you say no way he can do that, then he let some of the easy ones just go through - It a mental thing with Manny. And I understand that Coors has big left field, but so does Oakland and LA and he hasn't had any meltdowns there.

Papi was lingering knee injury that needs to be clean upped after the season, but the during the West Coast Inter league play both the D-Backs and Padres attempted to bunt on him and he actually field the ball pretty well and that was before the cortozine(sp?) shots.

I expect if they make the WS that Lowell and Youkes will split time at third with Youkes moving to first latter in the game for defensive reasons. In addition we have future star on the bench in Jacoby Ellsbury that can play all three OF position had amazing speed and will sub for Manny if need be.

DomCasual
10-16-2007, 11:54 PM
You Red Sox guys okay?

If Beckett can get a win for you Thursday, you can get it back to Fenway. Then anything can happen.

Anyone know the logic behind scheduling an off day on Wednesday? It seems sort of stupid.

broncocalijohn
10-17-2007, 12:05 AM
MAnny knows how to play the green monster at Fenway. If he is as good as advertised, why do they replace him in left field in the late innings and they dont think he will bat again or need his bat. He makes it look more tough on some plays than should be. Is he horrible? No way. I think MP has Manny pooped out covering a lot of field. You dont need to run as much in a park like Fenway. Coors is a whole new monster for him. Ortiz would need to play a position will hurt the Sox in th4e field which has improved completely since a few years ago when they were one of the worst in MLB. But first, Sox need to win some tough games before even worrying about them.

Drek
10-17-2007, 12:09 AM
You Red Sox guys okay?

If Beckett can get a win for you Thursday, you can get it back to Fenway. Then anything can happen.

Anyone know the logic behind scheduling an off day on Wednesday? It seems sort of stupid.

Personally? No, I'm not ok, because its stupid management thats killing the Red Sox.

The biggest reason they lost game 2 was Francona's insistence on turning to Javy Lopez against Trot Nixon. Thats right, he used a LOOGY who owns a proud .176/.296 Right/Left split. Hell of a LOOGY.

He also seems to be completely oblivious to his 2nd best OF still sitting on the bench waiting for an AB in the series. Ellsbury is a significantly better player than either Drew or Crisp at this point, yet Francona rides out his vets.

Tonight he capped it off by going with Wake over Beckett. They got Beckett to be a big game pitcher, you get the chance to set him up for games 4 and 7 on 3 and 4 days rest respectively, after only throwing 80 pitches in game 1, and you pass? I know, now suddenly he had a "tightened back" or some ****. Hell of a smoke screen.

Francona basically sat on his hands and played the series like it was a home and home in the middle of June. Talking about how they've got time to play their game. Well guess what? Now you don't. You've got to earn it nine innings at a time now. But hey, I'm sure he thinks they still have time and he'll sit on the bench with his thumb up his ass until they're down to their last three outs.

DomCasual
10-17-2007, 12:23 AM
MAnny knows how to play the green monster at Fenway. If he is as good as advertised, why do they replace him in left field in the late innings and they dont think he will bat again or need his bat. He makes it look more tough on some plays than should be. Is he horrible? No way. I think MP has Manny pooped out covering a lot of field. You dont need to run as much in a park like Fenway. Coors is a whole new monster for him. Ortiz would need to play a position will hurt the Sox in th4e field which has improved completely since a few years ago when they were one of the worst in MLB. But first, Sox need to win some tough games before even worrying about them.

Manny is an idiot. He's a talented idiot; but an idiot, nonetheless. The little display tonight after his home run is just the latest example. I'd be embarrassed about him, if I was a Red Sox fan.

None of that has anything to do with his ability to play the expansive Coors Field outfield, but I still thought I'd share.

Manny is an idiot.

Hogan11
10-17-2007, 12:30 AM
F the Sox and their mega huge payroll....they deserve the fate they're about to get. They got a little further down the line than the Yankees got, but not enough to matter. I love it when large market baseball teams shat the bed.

DomCasual
10-17-2007, 12:40 AM
F the Sox and their mega huge payroll....they deserve the fate they're about to get. They got a little further down the line than the Yankees got, but not enough to matter. I love it when large market baseball teams shat the bed.

I love this, from a Red Sox messageboard.

First, from a Yankees fan:

Maybe your management hasn't noticed but spending a boat load of money hasn't helped us latelt either!! They are sooo busy trying to not be outdone by NY in the spending dept. that they fail to see the big picture. Look at what they spent on that worthless J.ap!!! They panic and bid almost twice as much as the nearest bidder just for the rights to negotiate with him!! Yeah, Theo is really some boy genius!!! LOL!!!!!!

Then this, in a different thread, from a Red Sox fan:

I know it's a radical thought, but I think the Sox should stop trying to keep up with the Yankees in spending. (Where has it gotten the Yankees lately, by the way?) Drew, Dice-K, Lugo, Schilling, even Varitek... all overpriced. All not worth what they're paid. I know, everybody loves Varitek, but the guy can't hit.

If you're going to overspend, overspend on TALENT, not hope.

Imagine that! Fans bemoaning the fact that their teams spend TOO MUCH money!

Hogan11
10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Imagine that! Fans bemoaning the fact that their teams spend TOO MUCH money!

They wouldn't last five minutes in the shoes of a fan of a small market team....much too spoiled and have had it wayyy too easy for far too long to deal with any type of real adversity.

DomCasual
10-17-2007, 12:57 AM
They wouldn't last five minutes in the shoes of a fan of a small market team....much too spoiled and have had it wayyy too easy for far too long to deal with any type of real adversity.

If you've never read it, you should pick up Lords of the Realm, by John Helyar (http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Realm-John-Helyar/dp/0345465245). It's a history of the idiocy and incompetence of MLB ownership. The absolutely remarkable thing about it is that the hubris he describes in a book written thirteen years ago has continued unchanged through today. I love that some small budget teams are making noise. Baseball needs to make some corrections.

Hogan11
10-17-2007, 01:22 AM
If you've never read it, you should pick up Lords of the Realm, by John Helyar (http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Realm-John-Helyar/dp/0345465245). It's a history of the idiocy and incompetence of MLB ownership. The absolutely remarkable thing about it is that the hubris he describes in a book written thirteen years ago has continued unchanged through today. I love that some small budget teams are making noise. Baseball needs to make some corrections.

Four words: Salary Cap/Salary Floor.

Paladin
10-17-2007, 01:25 AM
How about a salary cap, violation penalties and mandatory free agency after ----- years of major league play? Or some such.

Looks like the Injuns are gonna pull their series out in five. So I was off one.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-17-2007, 02:10 AM
It's funny, though Boston and New York have higher payrolls, the small market teams dont seem to have too much of a problem beating them. Its not like those teams win the series every year.

Hogan11
10-17-2007, 02:17 AM
It's funny, though Boston and New York have higher payrolls, the small market teams dont seem to have too much of a problem beating them. Its not like those teams win the series every year.

No....teams like them just dominate their divisions year after year.

broncocalijohn
10-17-2007, 02:40 AM
You Red Sox guys okay?

kinda like scheduling the game on Monday against mnf which they used to never do.

broncocalijohn
10-17-2007, 02:55 AM
If Sox are losing this one, I hope they go after A Rod so they give up on Lowell and Angels can pick him up. It has been since Glaus that the Angels have had a bat at the hot corner. This will be the lowest rated game on tv if sox dont pull this one out. Good news though is you have a team that has never won it up against a team that hasnt won it since pre beatnik days.

Bronco LB 59
10-17-2007, 03:48 AM
Manny is an idiot. He's a talented idiot; but an idiot, nonetheless. The little display tonight after his home run is just the latest example. I'd be embarrassed about him, if I was a Red Sox fan.

None of that has anything to do with his ability to play the expansive Coors Field outfield, but I still thought I'd share.

Manny is an idiot.

He deserves a fastball in his ribs for that display, but nobody in baseball has the guts to throw at him because he's Manny Ramirez. Players with Hall of Fame clout like Barry Bonds can get away with murder when it comes to showing up pitchers.

Bronco LB 59
10-17-2007, 03:51 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Next year I would like to see your Pirates, Royals, Devil Rays or Reds make a big splash for once.

Bronco LB 59
10-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Ellsbury is a significantly better player than either Drew or Crisp at this point, yet Francona rides out his vets.

That's an exaggeration. In his large sample size of 360 at-bats at Pawtucket this year, Ellsbury was solid, nothing spectacular.

elsid13
10-17-2007, 05:04 AM
That's an exaggeration. In his large sample size of 360 at-bats at Pawtucket this year, Ellsbury was solid, nothing spectacular.

You haven't seen him play have you??? The kid has special talent and it shows. He started the season in AA and moved up to the ML and has performed at every level.

elsid13
10-17-2007, 05:11 AM

I am sorry that team you follow has cheap ownership group unwilling to spend some money, but I'm glad I have owners that are willing to spend money to put a quality team on the field which attract fans and make them competitive. Boston operates out of the smallest ball park in the game and they figured how to do why can not a team like Pittsburgh with their brand new stadium figure out how to do it???

You know it was record $ and attendance for all teams so don't cry about small market teams to me.

Hogan11
10-17-2007, 06:09 AM
I am sorry that team you follow has cheap ownership group unwilling to spend some money, but I'm glad I have owners that are willing to spend money to put a quality team on the field which attract fans and make them competitive. Boston operates out of the smallest ball park in the game and they figured how to do why can not a team like Pittsburgh with their brand new stadium figure out how to do it???

You know it was record $ and attendance for all teams so don't cry about small market teams to me.

And all the Sox over spending has landed them in the same place as the more fiscally responsible small market teams.....watching the World Series at home Ha! Fugg 'em. Go Tribe!

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 08:22 AM

Well thats the view of someone who has clearly never seen the kid play.

As far as Manny goes, hes one of, if not THE best right handed hitters to ever play the game. If he wants to admire something that had not been done in LCS HISTORY then so be it. Its just Manny being Manny and i would not have it any other way.

BELIEVE IN BOSTON!

Atwater His Ass
10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I dont understand the hate people have for clubs that spend money. I'm not a fan of the Yankees, but if I was, ****, it'd be great. Haven't they made the post-season liek 13 years in a row or something ridiculous like that?

People are just jealous that they're hometown either doesn't have the balls to spend the money to win, or just flat out can't win wether they spend or not.

Drek
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM

You mean when he hit .314 there? Yeah, thats nothing spectacular. He didn't flash any power but the dude got on base, at which point he's arguably the most dangerous man in the league.

Also, in 116 MLB ABs he hit .353/.394/.509, thats a .903 OPS with speed and stellar defense.

I'm not saying he should take Drew or Crisp's job and never look back, but when they're both struggling so mightily you should at least consider trying to work him into the lineup. Like sending him out there against Carmona instead of Crisp, and against Westbrook instead of Drew.

The bottom half of the RS lineup is going through the motions with about as much heart as the Broncos showed Sunday before last. Something should've been done to shake it up a while ago.

Just because a team has money doesn't mean they haven't had any adversity. The Red Sox were ran by a bunch of monkeys for the better part of a century until this new ownership group took over.

Also, four of the five teams in the AL East spend over $90M a year. Wasn't too long ago Toronto had the highest salary in all of baseball. Big market/small market is a myth perpetuated by the media looking to create drama. A well run organization more often than not attracts fans and makes money, allowing them to increase payroll substantially. Its not rocket science, but a lot of teams have owners more concerned with stuffing their pockets.

Take Minnesota for example. If Carl Pohlad wasn't stuffing every cent of revenue sharing he could get into his bank account they could've actually made some key additions at some point over the last two or three years and done something with the window Santana and their other pitchers created. Instead they were a bargain bin team year after year despite an upper echelon core.

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm not saying he should take Drew or Crisp's job and never look back

I am :wave:

defenseman
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
He deserves a fastball in his ribs for that display, but nobody in baseball has the guts to throw at him because he's Manny Ramirez. Players with Hall of Fame clout like Barry Bonds can get away with murder when it comes to showing up pitchers.

Steroid boy will NEVER get in the "hall" when it is finally proven, he's a JUICER...dman

defenseman
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Couldn't agree more. There is no "rule" in place, forcing small market team owners to close their freaking wallets. They do so, BY CHOICE. And, quite possibly, the fan base in their area, just aren't quite up to speed with red sox fans wrt laying out extra money for tickets. In any case, OWNERSHIP is to blame, not the other quality "willing to spend money" small market teams. IF , the fans were to jump up and down about being competitive, maybe the management would shell out some more bucks. Part of it may be, the "fans" NOT demanding quality competitive teams, mediocrity is the word of the day. If you don't like what your ownership does, feel free to complain to them......dman

defenseman
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
You haven't seen him play have you??? The kid has special talent and it shows. He started the season in AA and moved up to the ML and has performed at every level.

This kid is a 5 tool player. He's has all the attributes of a future all star. Seen alot of ball players over the years, I'll agree with you, he's special and will turn some heads next year...dman

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
The kid is turning heads this year. I wouldnt be shocked to see either JD or coco moved in the offseason and have jacoby start full time next year.

And im so sick of fans of small market teams whining and bitching when its the owners who arent willing to spend the money. Just because teams like the Sox,Cubs,Mets,Yankees etc have owners that are willing to spend doesnt make them the enemy. If you want to complain to someone complain to the orginization that wont open their god damn wallet.

defenseman
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
The kid is turning heads this year. I wouldnt be shocked to see either JD or coco moved in the offseason and have jacoby start full time next year.

And im so sick of fans of small market teams whining and b****ing when its the owners who arent willing to spend the money. Just because teams like the Sox,Cubs,Mets,Yankees etc have owners that are willing to spend doesnt make them the enemy. If you want to complain to someone complain to the orginization that wont open their god damn wallet.

If they can move Drew, they need to. I'd like to see Coco stay. Drew's legs aren't what they used to be, and Crisp covers alot of real estate in center. Put the kid in right. Drew, walks around like he's gotta a dark rain cloud hanging over his head. Flat out don't like the guy....Hope they can trade him...dman

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
yeah if coco doesnt win a gold glove this year the award should just go away because he is far and away the best defensive cenerfielder in the game. drew just seems like and i emphasize SEEMS like he just doesnt care. Im sure he does but he just doesnt show any emotion. Id be thrilled with an outfield of manny coco and jacoby left to right. There isnt another left fielder in the game who could come in and play the monster like manny does.

defenseman
10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
yeah if coco doesnt win a gold glove this year the award should just go away because he is far and away the best defensive cenerfielder in the game. drew just seems like and i emphasize SEEMS like he just doesnt care. Im sure he does but he just doesnt show any emotion. Id be thrilled with an outfield of manny coco and jacoby left to right. There isnt another left fielder in the game who could come in and play the monster like manny does.

the only guy I ever saw play the monster better than Manny? The man they call "Yaz" , damn that guy could play left at fenway like a walk in the park...dman

Crowpointer
10-17-2007, 10:42 AM

And im so sick of fans of small market teams whining and b****ing when its the owners who arent willing to spend the money. Just because teams like the Sox,Cubs,Mets,Yankees etc have owners that are willing to spend doesnt make them the enemy. If you want to complain to someone complain to the orginization that wont open their god damn wallet.

Coco knows he's gone but who's going to take JD and that huge salary ?

DomCasual
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I dont understand the hate people have for clubs that spend money. I'm not a fan of the Yankees, but if I was, ****, it'd be great. Haven't they made the post-season liek 13 years in a row or something ridiculous like that?

People are just jealous that they're hometown either doesn't have the balls to spend the money to win, or just flat out can't win wether they spend or not.

I don't have a problem with the clubs that are spending as much as I have a problem with the system that allows it (I still hate those clubs, mind you; but there's nothing rational behind that hatred). What Hogan says is dead-on accurate - the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and Orioles have almost ZERO chance to win that division. Over games, the teams with the most talent usually come out on top. That's just bad for the sport.

defenseman
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't have a problem with the clubs that are spending as much as I have a problem with the system that allows it (I still hate those clubs, mind you; but there's nothing rational behind that hatred). What Hogan says is dead-on accurate - the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and Orioles have almost ZERO chance to win that division. Over games, the teams with the most talent usually come out on top. That's just bad for the sport.

I won't deny , the system has to be changed. However, you have to get past the Steinbrenners of the world. These owners don't have the cahones to take on George's "fleet" of lawyers ready to sue MLB if new policy doesn't stay status quo or improve his position. Simple as that. Bottom line is, they need to start at limiting revenues from television. the YES network comes to mind. I'm thinking basketball targeted this and it alleviated some of the problems...dman

defenseman
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Coco knows he's gone but who's going to take JD and that huge salary ?

the way he's played, the sox will have to give up more bodies. Bodies I'm sure they do not want to give up. They have some reasonably good pitching prospects coming up presently, they need to hang on to them...dman

Ramathorn
10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Dude stop worrying about the WS, right now Wakefield needs to come out and pitch 7 inning of post season ball and the bats needs to get going. When the Sox get to WS we'll worry about a hot team that been sitting on its ass for 8 days.

what was that about 7 innings of ball? I think you meant 7 runs in one inning of ball. Damn, we are horrible. At least we can win game 5 with beckett!

defenseman
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
what was that about 7 innings of ball? I think you meant 7 runs in one inning of ball. Damn, we are horrible. At least we can win game 5 with beckett!

the bats, and hitting w/RISP, has pretty much gone to sleep with a few exceptions. Starting pitching hasn't done a good job w/exception of beckett. If Beckett gets them a W, I give them a better than even chance of winning out in Boston, IF THEY GET THE BATS GOING. They don't do that starting tomorrow night, it's a done deal anyway with or w/o a great start by Beckett...dman

*I'm not so sure the Bosox are quite as hungry as the Injun's but we'll see tomorrow night..

Atwater His Ass
10-17-2007, 11:51 AM

I can agree with this. The hatred is misplaced and needs to be directed at the league and not the franchises that play within and take advantage of the current system.

I also really don't have a problem irrational hatred either. But I do have a problem with blind hatred just because a team is good and plays well within the established rules of their league.

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
beckett for 5 hope schill wins us 6 then pray for rain so josh can go game 7

defenseman
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
beckett for 5 hope schill wins us 6 then pray for rain so josh can go game 7

Don't think Francona would do that. What good would he be the first 2 games of the WS even if they got there? He'd go with someone else for game 7......dman

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
It was sort of sarcasm.My point is beckett can win us 2 games by himself but someone has to win the 3rd and 4th

defenseman
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
It was sort of sarcasm.My point is beckett can win us 2 games by himself but someone has to win the 3rd and 4th

to be honest, I don't expect anyone to outright win it except for Beckett. UNLESS, the sox raise their bats from the dead, and hit the ball like we all know they can, including "timely" hitting. Then, any one of the other pitchers on the staff can close out the indians. And that's with a 3-1 series lead for cleveland....dman

Bronco LB 59
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Ellsbury is good, no question. I have seen him play and followed him since his days in the Pac-10 at Oregon State. He should get more playing time. He's not leaps and bounds better than Drew or Crisp, though. He put up a .740 OPS at Pawtucket this year.

Bronco LB 59
10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
You mean when he hit .314 there? Yeah, thats nothing spectacular. He didn't flash any power but the dude got on base, at which point he's arguably the most dangerous man in the league.

Also, in 116 MLB ABs he hit .353/.394/.509, thats a .903 OPS with speed and stellar defense.

He hit .298 in Pawtucket actually. No question Ellsbury is a solid player. He should play more, but my original point being, he's not a slam dunk start over Crisp or Drew. Crisp plays a mean center field, getting on-base has never been Drew's problem (even though he's a gutless coward).

Also, four of the five teams in the AL East spend over $90M a year.

When the D-Rays minor league pitching depth of Jacob McGee, Wade Davis, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, Jeff Niemann makes it to The Show to join Scott Kazmir, James Shields, Andy Sonnanstine, hard throwin' Edwin Jackson, it's going to be all over for the Yankees and Red Sox! :yayaya:

SonOfLe-loLang
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM

You guys realize you're going to have to face Sabathia and Carmona again, right? Do you really expect them to both pitch poorly again? East coast bias. Watch these guys pitch, they are nasty.

Paladin
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Isn't that the point? The Injuns have two pitchers that I think are of good starting quality with an ability to keep games close and perchance even to hold heavy hitters down to a reasonable average. The Crimson Hose have one, and the others are iffy.

The Consortium of Crimson Sawks fans hereon are placing big hopes on Beckett, not so much on the following fellows, and there is well-placed heightened anxiety about getting past the next game after Beckett. Good situational awareness there, fellows.

I don't know what the "magic" of Fenway is going to be if they get the series back there. Injuns can hit, too, and they also play pretty good D. I fail to see an advantage for the Sawks. In this series, to this point, the Sawks are just .500 at Fenway after all!!!

elsid13
10-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Sorry but that Horse ****. Both the Os and the Blue Jay have the ability to put quality teams on the field that can compete. The Jays brought in number of high price talent via FA that got hurt or they would be right in the thick of AL EAST last two seasons. Aneglos was more worried about protecting the money going into his pocket then he was worried about that team. He basically fielded a crappy team so that MLB would pay him to allow the Nationals to play in DC (he gets a piece of the National TV deal and forced the local cable companies to put his crappy tv station on the boxes if the wanted to show Nationals games). That man is pure scum. I really feel sorry for that fan base, that team has the ability to make more $ then Red Soxs due to the market.

And as Sweet Lou has said before the TB ownership group aren't interest in winning but spending as little as possible and collecting their piece of the revenue share pie.

OrangeShadow
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
You guys realize you're going to have to face Sabathia and Carmona again, right? Do you really expect them to both pitch poorly again? East coast bias. Watch these guys pitch, they are nasty.

Well i think cc's inning total is starting to catch up with him. Carmona you never know. I did watch them pitch back to back vs us during the regular seaosn. when CC tossed a cg shutout then carmona lost to dice-k in a 1-0 cg.

defenseman
10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Well i think cc's inning total is starting to catch up with him. Carmona you never know. I did watch them pitch back to back vs us during the regular seaosn. when CC tossed a cg shutout then carmona lost to dice-k in a 1-0 cg.

the sox, pitching aside, need to get their bats going. Without that, it's game over anyway. However, if they find them again, they have a shot...dman

elsid13
10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
the sox, pitching aside, need to get their bats going. Without that, it's game over anyway. However, if they find them again, they have a shot...dman

That been the story all year long. Beside a couple of times during the season the bats haven't really been there this year.

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Has anyone seen good deals on Rockies World Series Tshirts, etc yet? I have seen Dicks, Sports Authority and Pennies, but not much else activity.

I'm thinking my nephew in Boston needs a Rockies T-shirt, especially since I took him to the very first Rockies game at Mile High.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-17-2007, 08:42 PM

This is complete speculation. I dont think its CC's inning totals as much as he and Martinez over thinking. CC NEEDS to trust his fastball/slider combo...for some reason in game one, he threw alot of off speed stuff in an effort to trip up the sox. He kept throwing his change up out of the zone...piled up on him. It's not as if his velocity is down. He just needs to get back to what he does best...throwing strikes and trusting his stuff.

The yanks game was a mixture of not throwing first pitch strikes and a paper thin strike zone from the ump. He didnt pitch great that game, but made great pitches when he needed to. Remember, he did WIN that game.

Carmona is just awesome, i think that was an aberration more than anything. Great job by the sox laying off those sinkers, but he usually pounds it in the strike zone like westbrook did during game 3.

elsid13
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
This is complete speculation. I dont think its CC's inning totals as much as he and Martinez over thinking. CC NEEDS to trust his fastball/slider combo...for some reason in game one, he threw alot of off speed stuff in an effort to trip up the sox. He kept throwing his change up out of the zone...piled up on him. It's not as if his velocity is down. He just needs to get back to what he does best...throwing strikes and trusting his stuff.

The yanks game was a mixture of not throwing first pitch strikes and a paper thin strike zone from the ump. He didnt pitch great that game, but made great pitches when he needed to. Remember, he did WIN that game.

Carmona is just awesome, i think that was an aberration more than anything. Great job by the sox laying off those sinkers, but he usually pounds it in the strike zone like westbrook did during game 3.

People need to remember that Sox do a very good job of staying patience and forcing pitchers to throw strikes. (Which is way you can tell some of the them are starting to feel the pressure and first pitch swinging) Add whoever umping that day and it can very stressful on whoever is pitching.

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Fugg the Sox.

BMF Bronco
10-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Believe it or not, there are "experts" actually saying the Rox can win it all!!!!

Sassy
10-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Forget the experts...I think the Rockies KNOW they can win it.

Jens1893
10-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Believe it or not, there are "experts" actually saying the Rox can win it all!!!!

They are going out on a limb there. Great insight, dear "experts". A team that is in the World Series can actually win it all? What the hell do they get paid for?

Octavias
10-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I will be the biggest bandwagon Rockies fan of all time. (not that I wouldnt if it was the bosox) If a Denver team beats cleveland fans out of their precious title hopes again they may just all spontaneously combust, and trust me, it would make the world a much better place

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM

Ha! I thought it read Sox instead of Rox...I'm so tired, I can't see striaght tonight, my apologies.

I like their chances against the Tribe (if things remain as they are)...Go NL.

liljd307
10-18-2007, 01:46 AM
well thats nice buddy, but hey do the pirates even bother playing their games anymore ??? if i were them i wouldnt even waste the money to go to the away games and just forefit them, would probably save you guys some money and alot of embarassment. anyway go tribe!!!

Octavias
10-18-2007, 08:13 AM
but hey do the pirates even bother playing their games anymore ??? !!!

Um, that depends on your definition of "Playing" is. If you mean show up for work, lose a lot, and pray you are good enough to be traded midseason cuase the owners only care about making bank, then yeah they still play. If they didnt, they couldnt have just set a record for most consecutive losing seasons by a major north american pro franchise :(

But it could be worse- we could have the Browns instead of the steelers

Drek
10-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I will be the biggest bandwagon Rockies fan of all time. (not that I wouldnt if it was the bosox) If a Denver team beats cleveland fans out of their precious title hopes again they may just all spontaneously combust, and trust me, it would make the world a much better place

I agree with you completely, but thats because Cleveland has unquestionably the most racist mascot/logo of the past 100 years. **** like that should've gone away with the abolition of slavery. The worst part is the fans revel in it with morons painting their faces and putting on head dresses.

News flash ****ers, native americans are still alive today, why not stop ****ting on their culture?

defenseman
10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I agree with you completely, but thats because Cleveland has unquestionably the most racist mascot/logo of the past 100 years. **** like that should've gone away with the abolition of slavery. The worst part is the fans revel in it with morons painting their faces and putting on head dresses.

News flash ****ers, native americans are still alive today, why not stop ****ting on their culture?

Whatever man. They've had that logo for a long time. I vote they keep it...dman

*Your opinion on their logo is yours, and yours alone. I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers disputing your claim of "unquestionably". If you don't like them, root against them. In any case, getting their logo changed, in the name of PC, isn't happening anytime soon. Fortunately. Funny, some of that "culture" you speak of is now multi-billion dollar gambling operations. Pretty profitable culture if you ask me.

RhymesayersDU
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Funny, some of that "culture" you speak of is now multi-billion dollar gambling operations. Pretty profitable culture if you ask me.

So if a black man opened a casino, could we have a team called the "n-----s"?

HorseHead
10-18-2007, 09:42 AM
man...I thought this was a thread about the Indians in the World Series...

chr-st, a 2-3 season, and all of sudden everybody has sand in their vag-nas...

defenseman
10-18-2007, 09:44 AM

stupid question...of course not...dman

defenseman
10-18-2007, 09:45 AM

he brought in his politics , not me. I'm just calling him on it. Agreed, leave the politics at the doorstep...dman

defenseman
10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Ha! I thought it read Sox instead of Rox...I'm so tired, I can't see striaght tonight, my apologies.

I like their chances against the Tribe (if things remain as they are)...Go NL.

I'm thinking the rox take them out, if the injuns make it to the WS of course. I suspect presently they'll get there. Ramirez said there is always next year in an interview with ESPN. "Not the end of the world" to paraphrase. Don't think he's real worried if the sox get there or not. Either way is fine with him.......dman

*In essense, he is correct though. they are ball players, and it wouldn't be the end of the world. Still don't like how it sounded though.

spdirty
10-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I think we should bring out The Duke to throw out the first pitch...to Mark Jackson. An idea from Mike Evens, thought it would be pretty cool, just to f@ck with their fans.

Crushaholic
10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
If Cleveland makes it to the World Series, it could be one of the more entertaining series on paper in recent memory. We would have two teams perceived as underdogs going after the richest prize in baseball. To me, that's much more fun to watch than another David vs. Goliath match...

El Guapo
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM

LOL Dude, get a life. It's a game, and you're the type thats ruining it.

Drek
10-18-2007, 10:56 AM

*Your opinion on their logo is yours, and yours alone. I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers disputing your claim of "unquestionably". If you don't like them, root against them. In any case, getting their logo changed, in the name of PC, isn't happening anytime soon. Fortunately. Funny, some of that "culture" you speak of is now multi-billion dollar gambling operations. Pretty profitable culture if you ask me.

Is this racist?
http://www.freckleeffect.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/blackface_series2.jpg

If so then what the hell is the difference?

Its not PC, its about not pissing on another people's culture. I don't care about the political ramifications, I just care that its blatantly offensive to a group of people that have gotten it shoved up their ass for more than long enough. Its not like native american tribes that own casinos are building them in giant "teepees" or adorning them with grossly ethnocentric crap. Also, its not nearly as profitable as you think. Damn near every casino that is "native american owned" was funded by Vegas casino owners who take more than their fair share of the cuts, but it was a required evil because every attempt by an entirely native group to start such an establishment has been blocked.

And we'll see how long it takes to get their logo changed, I for one plan on spending quite a bit of my post-J.D. free time starting a class action law suit against them.

I know the point you're trying to make but that's a poor analogy because the Cleveland owners aren't native americans. So it'd really be like if some middle aged white guy decided to name his team the "ni--ers" instead. Better yet, have it set in the deep south where racism and slavery were most rampant, because Ohio is a state with a native american history with more than its fair share of genocidal acts.

Has nothing to do with the team having success, it has everything to do with perpetuation of a racist stereotype, and against a culture that is already starring down extinction as it is.

Seriously. Native american culture has somewhere between 100-150 years before it is completely non-existent. **** like this, creating an ethnocentric view of their culture for our own petty amusement, has played a heavy role in that cultural decay. The least we could do is stop being absolute morons for the scant bit of time their culture has left and show them some respect on the way out. Hopefully then our ancestors will remember them accurately instead of as some caricature that bigots have been perpetuating for several centuries.

defenseman
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
If Cleveland makes it to the World Series, it could be one of the more entertaining series on paper in recent memory. We would have two teams perceived as underdogs going after the richest prize in baseball. To me, that's much more fun to watch than another David vs. Goliath match...

I'm thinking the red sox are done. I believe that the injuns just flat out want it more. At least after listening to a Manny ramirez interview yesterday, I now believe that...dman

*Emotion and selling out will help you win the big prize when it's dead even on talent.

defenseman
10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Is this racist?
http://www.freckleeffect.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/blackface_series2.jpg

If so then what the hell is the difference?

Its not PC, its about not pissing on another people's culture. I don't care about the political ramifications, I just care that its blatantly offensive to a group of people that have gotten it shoved up their ass for more than long enough. Its not like native american tribes that own casinos are building them in giant "teepees" or adorning them with grossly ethnocentric crap. Also, its not nearly as profitable as you think. Damn near every casino that is "native american owned" was funded by Vegas casino owners who take more than their fair share of the cuts, but it was a required evil because every attempt by an entirely native group to start such an establishment has been blocked.

And we'll see how long it takes to get their logo changed, I for one plan on spending quite a bit of my post-J.D. free time starting a class action law suit against them.

I know the point you're trying to make but that's a poor analogy because the Cleveland owners aren't native americans. So it'd really be like if some middle aged white guy decided to name his team the "ni--ers" instead. Better yet, have it set in the deep south where racism and slavery were most rampant, because Ohio is a state with a native american history with more than its fair share of genocidal acts.

Has nothing to do with the team having success, it has everything to do with perpetuation of a racist stereotype, and against a culture that is already starring down extinction as it is.

Seriously. Native american culture has somewhere between 100-150 years before it is completely non-existent. **** like this, creating an ethnocentric view of their culture for our own petty amusement, has played a heavy role in that cultural decay. The least we could do is stop being absolute morons for the scant bit of time their culture has left and show them some respect on the way out. Hopefully then our ancestors will remember them accurately instead of as some caricature that bigots have been perpetuating for several centuries.

It's a baseball team's logo, end of story. You'll need to fuel your fire on this subject elsewhere. I'm not interested in the rhetoric..dman

Drek
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
It's a baseball team's logo, end of story. You'll need to fuel your fire on this subject elsewhere. I'm not interested in the rhetoric..dman

I got plenty of fuel for it, I'm not looking for an argument. I said I'll cheer against them as long as they have that racist ass mascot, and I will. You're the one who tried to play it off as some personal political agenda.

But way to dodge the question. Is black face racist? If so how is the Cleveland mascot any different? Because its an even smaller minority and the logo has been in use for a long time?

Apartheid was a long held tradition in South Africa, didn't make it any less of an atrocity.

HorseHead
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
What are you're feelings on the name and logo for the Redskins?

defenseman
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I got plenty of fuel for it, I'm not looking for an argument. I said I'll cheer against them as long as they have that racist ass mascot, and I will. You're the one who tried to play it off as some personal political agenda.

But way to dodge the question. Is black face racist? If so how is the Cleveland mascot any different? Because its an even smaller minority and the logo has been in use for a long time?

Apartheid was a long held tradition in South Africa, didn't make it any less of an atrocity.

I just gave you a counter opinion and endorsed leaving politics at the door. Which normally on the sports threads, I do. You opened pandora's box, not me. I just shot back. And, in short you are accusing them of racism. Your opinion, your pipe, smoke your pipe elsewhere. I could care less...dman

*bottom line is, talk about the series, not your freaking politics about native americans, no one cares about your politics here on the sports threads. Feel free to post on the WRP threads, plenty of politics to yak about there.

defenseman
10-18-2007, 11:22 AM

I think is freaking awesome. I love it so much, I'm going to post it here when I get the chance...dman

*Maybe the "tribes" belongs here also, right next to the redskins. They are both "sports" teams.

worm
10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Out of all the great miscarriages of justice to devote your time to...you pick this issue to march off on a crusade on?

Paladin
10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
CRUSADE???? YOU SAID CRUSADE????

THAT BRINGS UP THE MOST.......

Ah, fug it. Who cares who is on the bottom?

GO INJUNS!!!!!

GO ROCKIES!!!!!

j/k. I hope some peeps understand sarcasm and such......

Bronco LB 59
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Drek

You bring up valid points, but the timing is bad. You could have written letters to the club during the cold winter or protested with signs outside their camp in Winter Haven during spring training, but no, you wait until they have their moment in the sun to make a big fuss on a message board.

The real story with the Indians is they have a chance to join the Red Sox (1918) and the White Sox (1917) as the third historic franchise in the last four years to end their streak of not winning the World Series. This just drives Cubs fans crazy.

Dagmar
10-18-2007, 01:12 PM

You love Ann Coulter and applaud racism. You're a pleasant man.

BMF Bronco
10-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Drek

The real story with the Indians is they have a chance to join the Red Sox (1918) and the White Sox (1917) as the third historic franchise in the last four years to end their streak of not winning the World Series. This just drives Cubs fans crazy.

It's really going to please the Cub fans when they lose in the WS to a Semi-fledeling team then right?! :thumbs:

bombay
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not crazy about the ticket distribution method for the World Series games here in Denver. It's the internet, so anyone, anywhere has as good a chance to get series tickets as Rockies fans here in Denver, right?

Paladin
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
A semi- what? Didn't get your thought there......

You mean the Rockies? Oh, yeah, a Rockies win would just tickle the Cubs National Whiners Club members to death, I am sure.

I do believe, and this might make an interesting book, that a Rockies/Injun Series would be the least viewed series in post-modern (whatever that means) Baseball History. I do not think that the Rockies have enough appeal on their own, yet, to draw a following from the masses that survive rush hours on the Eastern Shores of our Great Nation. (They would get a passing "good job" nod on the evening Sport casts, though). Neither do I think the Injuns are gonna be a great draw from many places. There may be a smidgen of a AL versus NL crowd, but those guys are not as plentiful as the League would hope. (These are the guys who actually stand in the aisles, lean against the racks and study the preseason magazines at the Grocery Stores in January.) The only others I can think of would be people who have a few bucks at risk in the OTB shops and in Vegas. And maybe a bookie or three.

Now if the Crimson Hosiery make it, the TV audience would be a bit greater, and that would be good for the Rockies' PR Department.

But I think the Injuns are gonna do it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think so.....

Paladin
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
As an added attraction to the suspense and "stick in your eye" tactics by the two teams, the Plain Dealer reports that Danielle Peck will be singing the National Anthem tonight, and "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch.

Ms. Peck is a country singer. She will not do a rendition of "Stand By Your Man." She and Beckett, the presumed Starter for the Crimson Hosiery, are divorced.

Cat fight ensues........

Ha!

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm not crazy about the ticket distribution method for the World Series games here in Denver. It's the internet, so anyone, anywhere has as good a chance to get series tickets as Rockies fans here in Denver, right?

The season ticket holders get the first crack at Series tickets and they blocked out two whole sections in right field for the NLCS so probably more for the Series. All sorts of sponsor tickets will be issued. I doubt if there are many tickets left over for the general public

worm
10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Win or lose the WS, I personally will judge the Rockies success this year on how well they do at keeping the nucleus of this team together long-term.

Bastids better not go 'Marlins' on this team.

Jens1893
10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Yankees offered Torre a one year extension and Torre told them to **** off.

Paladin
10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Good for Torre. Good for the rest of teh AL East, too. Maybe he will take that job at Pawtucket..........

24champ
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Yankees offered Torre a one year extension and Torre told them to **** off.

not just a one year extension, but they offered him less money than what he made this year...About 2 million less.:saywhat:

Joe Girardi is most likely to be the next manager.

DomCasual
10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Good for Joe Torre. They offer him less money? This is a team with a supposedly limitless bank account. Screw that! I'm glad he walked.

BMF Bronco
10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
A semi- what? Didn't get your thought there......

You mean the Rockies? Oh, yeah, a Rockies win would just tickle the Cubs National Whiners Club members to death, I am sure.

I do believe, and this might make an interesting book, that a Rockies/Injun Series would be the least viewed series in post-modern (whatever that means) Baseball History. I do not think that the Rockies have enough appeal on their own, yet, to draw a following from the masses that survive rush hours on the Eastern Shores of our Great Nation. (They would get a passing "good job" nod on the evening Sport casts, though). Neither do I think the Injuns are gonna be a great draw from many places. There may be a smidgen of a AL versus NL crowd, but those guys are not as plentiful as the League would hope. (These are the guys who actually stand in the aisles, lean against the racks and study the preseason magazines at the Grocery Stores in January.) The only others I can think of would be people who have a few bucks at risk in the OTB shops and in Vegas. And maybe a bookie or three.

Now if the Crimson Hosiery make it, the TV audience would be a bit greater, and that would be good for the Rockies' PR Department.

But I think the Injuns are gonna do it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think so.....

hahaha, sorry, that was supposed to say fledgling.

Jens1893
10-18-2007, 04:37 PM
not just a one year extension, but they offered him less money than what he made this year...About 2 million less.:saywhat:

Joe Girardi is most likely to be the next manager.

I like this for the sole fact that someone stood up to Steinbrenner and showed him that he can´t hang people out dry in public and then expect them to do what he wants when he changes his mind.

DomCasual
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry but that Horse ****. Both the Os and the Blue Jay have the ability to put quality teams on the field that can compete. The Jays brought in number of high price talent via FA that got hurt or they would be right in the thick of AL EAST last two seasons. Aneglos was more worried about protecting the money going into his pocket then he was worried about that team. He basically fielded a crappy team so that MLB would pay him to allow the Nationals to play in DC (he gets a piece of the National TV deal and forced the local cable companies to put his crappy tv station on the boxes if the wanted to show Nationals games). That man is pure scum. I really feel sorry for that fan base, that team has the ability to make more $ then Red Soxs due to the market.

And as Sweet Lou has said before the TB ownership group aren't interest in winning but spending as little as possible and collecting their piece of the revenue share pie.

With all due respect, I think you're wrong. There is an upper tier in baseball that can afford to spend ridiculous money on salaries: the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. Two of those teams (Yankees and Red Sox) are willing to spend it. Are the other teams cheap because they won't spend $150 million in salaries? I think they're realistic about how much money they can afford to lose.

I can't defend the likes of the Devil Rays, with their $24 million in salaries. But Peter Angelos? He's an idiot, but he's spending $94 million in 2007. The Blue Jays are at $81 million. That puts them in the top half of baseball - the Orioles, in the top ten. But even in the top ten, the Orioles could double the salary of every one of their players, and they still would be behind the Yankees.

So again, I contend that there is almost no way to compete in the same division over 162 games against teams that are doubling and tripling what you're spending on salaries. And I think it's elitist to say that a team spending in the top ten of baseball is somehow cheap, because they aren't willing to spend the ridiculous money of the top two.

Again, I am not blaming the Yankees or Red Sox. I am blaming the system that allows it. I don't like those teams - especially the Red Sox. But as I said before, my justification for that isn't really rational. It's not irrational to say that a league that allows one team to spend eight times more than another cannot be healthy.

24champ
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I like this for the sole fact that someone stood up to Steinbrenner and showed him that he can´t hang people out dry in public and then expect them to do what he wants when he changes his mind.

I don't think the Boss is calling the shots anymore, I think his sons are taking over now who could probably be bigger A-holes than the Boss.They knew with the 5 million dollar for one year offer that Torre would reject it and why it took two weeks to do it just tells me that the FO of the Yankees are clueless.

elsid13
10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
With all due respect, I think you're wrong. There is an upper tier in baseball that can afford to spend ridiculous money on salaries: the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. Two of those teams (Yankees and Red Sox) are willing to spend it. Are the other teams cheap because they won't spend $150 million in salaries? I think they're realistic about how much money they can afford to lose.

I can't defend the likes of the Devil Rays, with their $24 million in salaries. But Peter Angelos? He's an idiot, but he's spending $94 million in 2007. The Blue Jays are at $81 million. That puts them in the top half of baseball - the Orioles, in the top ten. But even in the top ten, the Orioles could double the salary of every one of their players, and they still would be behind the Yankees.

So again, I contend that there is almost no way to compete in the same division over 162 games against teams that are doubling and tripling what you're spending on salaries. And I think it's elitist to say that a team spending in the top ten of baseball is somehow cheap, because they aren't willing to spend the ridiculous money of the top two.

Again, I am not blaming the Yankees or Red Sox. I am blaming the system that allows it. I don't like those teams - especially the Red Sox. But as I said before, my justification for that isn't really rational. It's not irrational to say that a league that allows one team to spend eight times more than another cannot be healthy.

The problem that I have the teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Jays and Os) aren't losing money, and in Aneglos case he more then an idoit he is money hunger scum. Go look back and look at the crap he threaten MLB with to keep baseball out of DC.

Back to the point all the owners knew the system that they bought into and they have had the ability to change it at anytime. So if they aren't willing compete in agreed upon system, then get out.

It might sound elitist but I am glad I support a team that ownership group is willing to get resources into Fenway to win. I suffered through enough Hosey types to be glad that my team is going quality product on the field these days.

DomCasual
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
The problem that I have the teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Jays and Os) aren't losing money, and in Aneglos case he more then an idoit he is money hunger scum. Go look back and look at the crap he threaten MLB with to keep baseball out of DC.

Back to the point all the owners knew the system that they bought into and they have had the ability to change it at anytime. So if they aren't willing compete in agreed upon system, then get out.

It might sound elitist but I am glad I support a team that ownership group is willing to get resources into Fenway to win. I suffered through enough Hosey types to be glad that my team is going quality product on the field these days.

Well, I can't argue with any of that. I acknowledge the fact that Peter Angelos is a fool. But for years and years, the other owners responded to his threats about putting a team in DC. That being said, that is just one of the issues that makes Angelos a fool.

And the owners in baseball are jackasses. They have over a hundred years of jackass history to draw on. They can't be trusted - by the players, the fans, or themselves. They are unbelievably short-sighted - unbelievably! Baseball succeeds in spite of these buffoons.

And I don't blame you for being glad you follow a team with aggressive ownership. That's why I say my feelings about it aren't rational. I would LOVE to have that situation. I HATE the Monforts - the last month has lessened that, but it's still pretty strong. I resent that they won't sell the club to a guy like Stan Kroenke, who has shown Denver sports fans, time and time again, that he will invest what it takes to build a winner. Their justification? They want the team to be passed to their progeny - it's a hobby that's fun for the whole family, apparently. So, essentially, what they're saying is, "The Monforts are more important than the baseball fans in the city of Denver!"

I am THRILLED for what the Rockies have done this year. But Dan O'Dowd has done that in spite of the restraints the Monforts have put on him. And if they open up the coffers the next two years to lock up some of their young stars, I will happily eat my words about them.

elsid13
10-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, I can't argue with any of that. I acknowledge the fact that Peter Angelos is a fool. But for years and years, the other owners responded to his threats about putting a team in DC. That being said, that is just one of the issues that makes Angelos a fool.

And the owners in baseball are jackasses. They have over a hundred years of jackass history to draw on. They can't be trusted - by the players, the fans, or themselves. They are unbelievably short-sighted - unbelievably! Baseball succeeds in spite of these buffoons.

And I don't blame you for being glad you follow a team with aggressive ownership. That's why I say my feelings about it aren't rational. I would LOVE to have that situation. I HATE the Monforts - the last month has lessened that, but it's still pretty strong. I resent that they won't sell the club to a guy like Stan Kroenke, who has shown Denver sports fans, time and time again, that he will invest what it takes to build a winner. Their justification? They want the team to be passed to their progeny - it's a hobby that's fun for the whole family, apparently. So, essentially, what they're saying is, "The Monforts are more important than the baseball fans in the city of Denver!"

I am THRILLED for what the Rockies have done this year. But Dan O'Dowd has done that in spite of the restraints the Monforts have put on him. And if they open up the coffers the next two years to lock up some of their young stars, I will happily eat my words about them.

Look I understand your position, but I'm just tried of the excuse that some fans use that their team can not compete because Yankees and Red Sox spend to much money. Isn't it the America way to get best and the brightest?

The problem isn't those teams, it ownership groups that rather pocket money then embrace the rules and exploit them. I hope for your sake and rest of Rockie fans that the Monforts don't use this season as excuse not to improve your team and keep it competitive next season. I will argue in today media age there aren't any small market teams, just teams that are unwilling to be competitive.

And I will even acknoweldge that Sox for last 5 year have collect to many freaking bandwagon fans because it was cool to root for them. It piss me off that none of those assholes know the history of the team or weren't there through all crap my grandfather, father, male relatives, brother and myself had to endure when rooting for this team.

Paladin
10-18-2007, 07:40 PM
hahaha, sorry, that was supposed to say fledgling.

Yeah. Just kidding ya a little...

:welcome:

SpringStein
10-18-2007, 08:03 PM
As a Rockies fan...

should I be cheering for this series to go 7 and wear down the pitching staff of the winning team?

or

Have the Indians finish it off and have 5 days off?

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 08:11 PM
If the Tribe gets in, this will be the first World Series since 1997 without one of the big money 8 in it.

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Boo Sox up 1-0

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Tribe ties it up 1-1

rubaiyat
10-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Look I understand your position, but I'm just tried of the excuse that some fans use that their team can not compete because Yankees and Red Sox spend to much money. Isn't it the America way to get best and the brightest?

The problem isn't those teams, it ownership groups that rather pocket money then embrace the rules and exploit them. I hope for your sake and rest of Rockie fans that the Monforts don't use this season as excuse not to improve your team and keep it competitive next season. I will argue in today media age there aren't any small market teams, just teams that are unwilling to be competitive.

And I will even acknoweldge that Sox for last 5 year have collect to many freaking bandwagon fans because it was cool to root for them. It piss me off that none of those a-holes know the history of the team or weren't there through all crap my grandfather, father, male relatives, brother and myself had to endure when rooting for this team.

It's also the American way to be an individualist and selfmade man on a level playing field by the sweat of your brow. That's the dream in a nutshell.

As such, the only truly equitable system by that notion is then to put a half dozen teams in New York or any major city and split the fanbases and revenue that way.

Hogan11
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
A hard salary cap with a salary floor is needed...the "luxury tax" is a complete joke.

Sassy
10-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Ugh...Indians are getting killed.

OrangeShadow
10-18-2007, 11:06 PM
10Ks for beckett :strong:

PatsWin2002
10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Ugh...Indians are getting killed.

We might have to put in Gagne before this one gets out of hand. :pimp:

RhymesayersDU
10-19-2007, 12:01 AM

Agreed 100%. I wanted Torre to quit before the last game, even though he would have hung the team out to dry and been totally unprofessional. Obviously as sports fans, we see this type of thing all the time. What have you done for me lately, etc. But to do it publicly? That was pretty ****ty. I'm real glad Torre refused. He deserved better.

Paladin
10-19-2007, 02:04 AM
The Sawks win it. Now to Fenway for number 6. This is the game that means it all. If the Sawks win, they should cruise to the Series in game seven.

To be frank, I think the Rockies can play with either of them.....

Jens1893
10-19-2007, 02:11 AM
The Sawks win it. Now to Fenway for number 6. This is the game that means it all. If the Sawks win, they should cruise to the Series in game seven.

To be frank, I think the Rockies can play with either of them.....

With Dice K on the mound?

SonOfLe-loLang
10-19-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm a huge tribe fan and now terrified. Did not want this to go back to Fenway and agree that if it goes to game 7, we stand little chance...Dice K or no Dice K. Thankfully we have our best pitcher going on Sat...lets hope he goes F up like last game.

OrangeShadow
10-19-2007, 06:33 AM
that josh becketts a pretty good pitcher ey?

elsid13
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM

Really I think he overrated. (;D)

elsid13
10-19-2007, 09:01 AM
We might have to put in Gagne before this one gets out of hand. :pimp:

Please use his offical name GAG-ME

RhymesayersDU
10-19-2007, 09:17 AM

He's no Jeff Francis, but he's alright. ;)

Drek
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM

The name is equally horrible, and I refuse to refer to them as such. At least they did the service of removing a blatantly racist logo/mascot from their team though, and going with some mod arrow design (that they stole from Florida State, a school that actually has tribal agreement to use their specific name).

I just gave you a counter opinion and endorsed leaving politics at the door. Which normally on the sports threads, I do. You opened pandora's box, not me. I just shot back. And, in short you are accusing them of racism. Your opinion, your pipe, smoke your pipe elsewhere. I could care less...dman

*bottom line is, talk about the series, not your freaking politics about native americans, no one cares about your politics here on the sports threads. Feel free to post on the WRP threads, plenty of politics to yak about there.

Actually, where the pre-merge thread started was some guy talking about how he's rooting against Cleveland for non-baseball reasons. Seemed like a fitting place at the time (pre-merge).

Also, I'm not accusing them of being racist. They are. Its not a statement of opinion, its a cold, hard fact. Its no different than having a team with a blackface logo and calling the team the "****-rs" or "blackies". Its not about political correctness, its about a blatantly ethnocentric view that insults a minority. Its degrading to the people its (I'm assuming unintentionally) aimed at and it makes those who participate look like a bunch of racist jackasses.

Out of all the great miscarriages of justice to devote your time to...you pick this issue to march off on a crusade on?

What better miscarriage of justice is there than standing up for a people who've had their population decimated from tens of millions down to a couple million in only a few hundred years, where 99% of its members live well below the poverty level, and where our own government actively works to keep them suppressed, thanks to racist politicians (see Mitt Romney) using the media's willingness to look the other way on native american issues to get their view of anglo-saxon superiority exercised in our political system?

They can't take away the black man's right to vote now so they'll do what they can, take away the native american man's right to live.

And you want an interesting shade of relevance on this? Jacoby Ellsbury, the Red Sox hot young prospect CF, is a registered member of the Navajo Nation. How in hell do you think he feels sitting in a dugout watching all these morons parade around celebrating an insulting caricature of his own culture?

Drek

You bring up valid points, but the timing is bad. You could have written letters to the club during the cold winter or protested with signs outside their camp in Winter Haven during spring training, but no, you wait until they have their moment in the sun to make a big fuss on a message board.

Its a fight I chose to pick a long time ago, I just never had a reason to bring it up here until someone was talking about their distaste for Cleveland on a non-baseball topic. I'll continue to not discuss it here because its not like this remotely matters. Writing on message boards won't right social injustice, and I've already found a path that will.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-19-2007, 11:58 AM
A few things should be pointed out in this argument:

1) When the Indians first decided to call their ballclub by that name, the name was fully supported by the local Native Americans who saw it as an honor. Granted, that was a long time ago, but still, it wasnt meant with malicious intent.

2) Not that this makes it right, I believe teams like the Indians and Redskins have become such institutions that it actually transcends the names they are actually portraying. I strongly dont believe that people look at those team names and laugh at the native americans or consider them lesser people. i just dont think people associate the two

3) The indians could easily change their name to the tribe, drop chief wahoo and no one would really care in a couple years.

PatsWin2002
10-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Joe Torre press conference on ESPN right now.

He is a class act. Even BoSox fans like Joe.

defenseman
10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Joe Torre press conference on ESPN right now.

He is a class act. Even BoSox fans like Joe.

Agreed, and if it came to pass, love to see the guy managing the sox...dman

*Francona is fine for now though.....Torre truly is a cut above the rest.

Bronco LB 59
10-19-2007, 04:04 PM
A few things should be pointed out in this argument:

1) When the Indians first decided to call their ballclub by that name, the name was fully supported by the local Native Americans who saw it as an honor. Granted, that was a long time ago, but still, it wasnt meant with malicious intent.

The Indians were originally the Bluebirds a.k.a. from 1901-02 and became the Naps from 1903-1911 because of their franchise player Napoleon Lajoie.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7695/s001779cy2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

From 1912-1914, they were known as the Molly McGuires in honor of the famed Irish miners in the late 1800s. The team was still informally known as the "Naps" in spite of the official name change.

When Lajoie left the team in 1915, the franchise eventually became known as the Indians. The sportswriters dubbed them the Indians because it was the nickname of the National League Cleveland Spiders when Native American "Chief" Sockalexis played for them in the 1890s. "Chief" had also passed away just two years earlier. The Boston "Miracle" Braves, the defending WS champion from 1914, might have also influenced the name change.

elsid13
10-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Well do or die for the Red Sox tonight. Will Schill add another post season heroic line to his resume, tonight?

OrangeShadow
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I hope so el.But honestly i hope i can stay up and watch. I have to get up @ 5:30 for work :cuss:

OrangeShadow
10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
GRAND SLAM JD DREW!!!

elsid13
10-20-2007, 08:52 PM
JD great hit.

OrangeShadow
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
eases the pain of that contract a bit lmao

elsid13
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Schilling needs a 1-2-3 inning and get the hitters back up there!

elsid13
10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Darn at least Schill got out of the inning with only the one run. I doubt that he resigned next season, he just doesn't have it anymore.

OrangeShadow
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
well i hope if they win it all he'll call it carreer and go out on top.

elsid13
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
well i hope if they win it all he'll call it carreer and go out on top.

Win or lose I think he to stubborn to retire. I think he going one of those guys that hangs on as long as he can. Good thing for him he has his video game company and other interest once the he out of the game.

PatsWin2002
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Fox needs to get rid of that blue swoosh graphic they show for replays of pitches. It's annoying, misleading, and completely useless.

When they follow up with the overhead shots you can see what they didn't ruin with the normal angle.

It reminds me of when Fox started to do hockey about 10 years ago and they had that chip inside the puck that made it blue on TV....and when there was a slapshot it streaked like a comet. Totally annoying and ultimately killed due to public outcry. Same needs to happen with this baseball thing.

elsid13
10-20-2007, 09:37 PM
The fox coverage sucks, I freaking hate the darn Transformer logo between action.

JD coming up big this game.

ØrangeÇrush
10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Fausto Carmona and CC Sabathia have stunk up this series...

elsid13
10-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Sweet the BoSox forcing a game 7. Now I going to splitting time between the baseball and Broncos.

PatsWin2002
10-20-2007, 09:53 PM
The baseball Gods are smiling on us again. In Cleveland we couldn't do much right and it seemed like all their hits fell in and ours just missed.

Not to count my chickens too early, but a game 7 still scares me. I suppose it should.

elsid13
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I know that feeling, flashes of disappoint from ages past still haunt me.

I am surprised how bad Cleveland looks. Were Paladin and injuin in 6th proclamation now???

OrangeShadow
10-20-2007, 10:29 PM
if we win tongight (im not jinxing it)i think i might head down straight from work(out@12) to fenway just to see if i can get in

PatsWin2002
10-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh...1 more thing. At least they have stopped showing Mark Shapiro and his trophy wife every 2 minutes.

When we were in Cleveland it was CONSTANT. Fox sucks.

elsid13
10-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Well the trophy wife was good looking and it is Cleveland :~ohyah!:

Paladin
10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm still here. (Been working my butt off on the front yard. I did a lot of work taking out sod, putting in new plants and trees, new weed barrier and mulch. Wanted to get it done before the rain and/or snow comes tomorrow.......)

It is too bad that the Injuns won't make it in six. Well, that's okay. Maybe seven... Or maybe not at all.

Who cares? Ramirez doesn't.

That "homer" by Drew looked to be the equivalent of a deep fly ball in Coors. We shall see what happens when the Crimson Hose or the Injuns get Denver.

Remember all the Rockies have to do is split in either Boston or Cleveland. The Rockies can play with either of them, I think.

Nice touch: "You have wakened a sleeping giant. There will be consequences and repercussions....." Sounds ominous. Just like a Junior High thriller play......

PatsWin2002
10-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice touch: "You have wakened a sleeping giant. There will be consequences and repercussions....." Sounds ominous. Just like a Junior High thriller play......

I think it's more a reference to this: ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto's_sleeping_giant_quote

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is portrayed in the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora!, as saying after his attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." The supposed quote was abbreviated in the film Pearl Harbor (2001), where it merely read, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

Paladin
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Just looking at the Logo for the Injuns: It is a diamond shaped face with one red finger...er....feather sticking up, with a goofy toothy grin. Is that the index finger or is that the middle finger? Not knowing Cleveland very well, you understand..... Logo looks cartoonish.

The Blackhawks have a better looking logo as far as using indians as logos. I think the Redskins' logo is unimaginative, as well as the cheeps.

So many indians and so many loser logos......

Paladin
10-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I think it's more a reference to this: ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto's_sleeping_giant_quote

Thank you Captain Obvious. I, too, read about the Japanese attack on Pearl and I also saw both movies. Yamamoto's remarks were made because he did not get the knock out punch on the American Carriers that he had hoped.

The remarks yesterday was a juvenile attempt to draw some correlation between the severe consequences of an act of war to the outcome of a baseball game. Remember Yamamoto's remarks preceded a defeat......

Rather pathetic, actually.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
The baseball Gods are smiling on us again. In Cleveland we couldn't do much right and it seemed like all their hits fell in and ours just missed.

Not to count my chickens too early, but a game 7 still scares me. I suppose it should.

As a tribe fan, i think if we don't get on Dice-K in the first couple of innings, stick a fork in us. We DESPERATELY need to take some momentum and we NEED to get out to an early lead. If we fall behind, i think thats it

defenseman
10-20-2007, 11:53 PM
As a tribe fan, i think if we don't get on Dice-K in the first couple of innings, stick a fork in us. We DESPERATELY need to take some momentum and we NEED to get out to an early lead. If we fall behind, i think thats it

too be honest, I have a feeling Dice-K is due for a patented "dice-k" kind of game, the good kind that the red sox expect. In addition, I have a funny feeling "jake" won't be quite as fortunate against the sox hitters as he was in cleveland. in any case, another game 7, good entertainment for sure seeing as the broncos are playing the steelers. I'm guessing the bronco game may be pretty tough to watch by midway through the third. I'll use the "rtn channel" to check in football now and again..dman

PatsWin2002
10-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious. I, too, read about the Japanese attack on Pearl and I also saw both movies. Yamamoto's remarks were made because he did not get the knock out punch on the American Carriers that he had hoped.

The remarks yesterday was a juvenile attempt to draw some correlation between the severe consequences of an act of war to the outcome of a baseball game. Remember Yamamoto's remarks preceded a defeat......

Rather pathetic, actually.

I bet a lot of people didn't know that quote. You win a cookie.

JCMElway
10-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey,

Any word on how the Rocks have looked in their simulated games? I know it's a reach but this has been a long lay off!

Jens1893
10-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Hey,

Any word on how the Rocks have looked in their simulated games? I know it's a reach but this has been a long lay off!

Rockies found a way so that both teams could win. :)

DomCasual
10-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Hey,

Here's (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5727570,00.html) a decent summary. I've read a few places that Aaron Cook looked really sharp. I really hope they put him on the roster - it would allow them to bump Morales to the bullpen. The upside of a fresh Aaron Cook to start Game Four is much higher than that of having a guy like Taylor Buchholz available for middle relief.

RhymesayersDU
10-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Here's (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5727570,00.html) a decent summary. I've read a few places that Aaron Cook looked really sharp. I really hope they put him on the roster - it would allow them to bump Morales to the bullpen. The upside of a fresh Aaron Cook to start Game Four is much higher than that of having a guy like Taylor Buchholz available for middle relief.

Cool article. I totally forgot that the rules change when in Boston or Cleveland. As a new baseball fan, that is still odd to me, different rules for different teams. But anyways, totally forgot that somebody would have to hit for the pitchers. That will be interesting.

Jens1893
10-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Cool article. I totally forgot that the rules change when in Boston or Cleveland. As a new baseball fan, that is still odd to me, different rules for different teams. But anyways, totally forgot that somebody would have to hit for the pitchers. That will be interesting.

It will be a bigger problem for the AL team tho. The NL team just plugs in its best hitter for the games at the AL ballpark and does what it always does when at home, whereas the AL team will have to change its lineup for the games in Denver.

RhymesayersDU
10-21-2007, 02:16 AM
It will be a bigger problem for the AL team tho. The NL team just plugs in its best hitter for the games at the AL ballpark and does what it always does when at home, whereas the AL team will have to change its lineup for the games in Denver.

Good point. That means Boston would have to bench somebody to put Ortiz in the field, if they were to make it. I never thought of it that way. You're right, that is a big problem.

DomCasual
10-21-2007, 02:18 AM

Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.

TomServo
10-21-2007, 03:27 AM
i cant wait to see those fat ass AL players play the Rockies. we run every ground ball out. i dont think those fat AL players know how to turn a double play with the pressure we will bring.
i couldnt even watch the game tonight-fatass pitcher takes his time taking the mound. fat ass batter takes his time getting into the batters box.........
four hours to play nine innings. and MLB wonders why NFL is the number one sport?

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.

The DH has infiltrated all levels of baseball (HS, college, minors) which is a sad sight to see.

That lowlife Donald Fehr won't give it up in the AL.

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 04:06 AM
four hours to play nine innings. and MLB wonders why NFL is the number one sport?

The time of games has been an issue throughout the playoffs. Several of these games have been stretched out to four hours in a nine inning span. I have noticed FOX and TBS are getting extra ad time between innings that's atypical of regular season baseball. MLB never seems to get it. 2-2.5 hour games like we saw 30 years ago in baseball should be the norm.

Despite all of baseball's blunders, they aren't that far behind the NFL, at least in making money. Here's the total revenues for the major four sports in 2006:

1. NFL $5.86 Billion
2. MLB $5.2 Billion
3. NBA $3.13 Billion
4. NHL $2.2 Billion

OrangeShadow
10-21-2007, 05:45 AM
god i wish i had picture in pitcure for tonight lol

defenseman
10-21-2007, 08:00 AM
i cant wait to see those fat ass AL players play the Rockies. we run every ground ball out. i dont think those fat AL players know how to turn a double play with the pressure we will bring.
i couldnt even watch the game tonight-fatass pitcher takes his time taking the mound. fat ass batter takes his time getting into the batters box.........

Little anti AL are we? Take a chill, both leauges are essentially the same..dman

defenseman
10-21-2007, 08:03 AM
god i wish i had picture in pitcure for tonight lol

Do you really think the broncos will be competitive with the steelers tonight? I , quite frankly, do not. Believe the steelers will run all over the D, essentially game over once that happens. Besides, thought you were trying to go the game at fenway? Man I used to love to go to fenway, take the train down from lowell and down to boston...what a blast....dman

elsid13
10-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Do you really think the broncos will be competitive with the steelers tonight? I , quite frankly, do not. Believe the steelers will run all over the D, essentially game over once that happens. Besides, thought you were trying to go the game at fenway? Man I used to love to go to fenway, take the train down from lowell and down to boston...what a blast....dman

stranger things have happened. It looks like I will be needing an afternoon nap to stay up tonight. What real suck is I am TDY tomorrow.

Drek
10-21-2007, 08:51 AM

It depends on the team.

For Cleveland, they have two young aces who've never been anything but AL guys and haven't taken regular ABs at all in their ML career. They also have Travis Hafner at DH, and while he's been scuffling of late he is arguably their best hitter but a god awful fielder. Add that Wedge has never managed a major league club without the DH and you've got an interesting situation that I would say favors the Rockies.

For Boston, they feature Beckett and Schilling, two guys with most of their career starts in the NL. Their #4 starter, Tim Wakefield, started his career in the NL for the Pirates, as a first baseman. Their pitchers have had to bat regularly before, and have pretty strong fundamentals. As for DH, Ortiz is actually a passable 1B, they just prefer to DH him because early in his career he had a lot of knee injuries associated with the daily wear and tear of fielding. 3 games of it aren't going to be significant in that regard. Though it is something of a defensive downgrade as Youkilis has been outstanding with the glove this season. Also, Terry Francona managed the Phillies for several years and played most of his career in the NL, so he is very familiar with the NL game. Its not nearly the edge at home that playing Cleveland would be.

It'll be interesting regardless though. If its Cleveland and Wedge we'll see how quickly a primarily AL guy can change gears and handle the NL rules. If its the Red Sox and Francona I expect to see as close to a managerial battle as baseball really gets.

elsid13
10-21-2007, 09:52 AM
ESPN is reporting that Paul Byrd is under investigation for purchasing large doses of HGH ($25 K worth). Now that funny.

Bronco LB 59
10-21-2007, 12:42 PM
ESPN is reporting that Paul Byrd is under investigation for purchasing large doses of HGH ($25 K worth). Now that funny.

I love the timing right before game seven. I wonder how long they were sitting on this story? Was Byrd on the George Mitchell report which revealed several big names during a conference call last week? From what I understand, MLB is waiting for a convenient time after the World Series to release the Mitchell report. Makes you wonder if this is a ploy by FOX to get the Red Sox into the World Series to juice their ratings. Not to mention, ESPN is such a pro-New England media outlet. This stinks. I hope the Indians come together and prevail.