PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

TheChamp24
04-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Oh man, Rockies need to get some bullpen help. A little offense wouldn't hurt either...

Dukes
04-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Haha, watching mlb.tv broadcast, its Padres announcers, and the trivia question was Name the 2 Rockies who have won the NL Batting Average Title.

Anyone see the problem with that question? I'll give you a hint, the Rockies have had 3 winners of the Batting Average title.
1993 - Galarraga with a .370 average
Larry Walker did it multiple times
Helton once as well

Their answer was only Walker and Helton

I watched the tv broadcast, the announcers aren't bad. Would you really expect anything different though? It's not like the Rockies are a powerhouse. During the bottom of the 2nd inning they were discussing the reason why the Rockies have been 120 games below .500 in the past 6 years (according to their stat guy), then they go to commercial and never continue the conversation. I wanted to get on the phone and tell them "It's the bloody Montforts!! They are responsible for atrocious record!"

TheChamp24
04-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I watched the tv broadcast, the announcers aren't bad. Would you really expect anything different though? It's not like the Rockies are a powerhouse. During the bottom of the 2nd inning they were discussing the reason why the Rockies have been 120 games below .500 in the past 6 years (according to their stat guy), then they go to commercial and never continue the conversation. I wanted to get on the phone and tell them "It's the bloody Montforts!! They are responsible for atrocious record!"

The broadcasters aren't bad, I kinda like Matt Vasgersian, but I think its embarassing that they can come up with a trivia question that is wrong like that.
And the Padres haven't exactly been known to kick ass throughout the years, but oh well.
I will say, I have been surprised with how well the Rockies starting pitching is doing. Bullpen needs to tune it up though...

Pendejo
04-08-2007, 05:11 AM
The broadcasters aren't bad, I kinda like Matt Vasgersian, but I think its embarassing that they can come up with a trivia question that is wrong like that.
And the Padres haven't exactly been known to kick ass throughout the years, but oh well.
I will say, I have been surprised with how well the Rockies starting pitching is doing. Bullpen needs to tune it up though...

Well...since the Rockies have been in the league...the Madres have blown them away in regards to their respective successes. Division titles in '96, '98 (world series), '05, and '06. *The San Diego television guys are trying to entertain...but it was a fvck up on their part. Nothing to get your nose out of joint about, however.

Perhaps a better trivia question would have been...In 1995...an obviously juiced up Daunt Bichette hit 40 home runs. How many did he hit on the road?

Gawd I hated that phoney Bichette...although he did provide me with one of my all time favorite baseball moments...when in trying to throw out a runner...he actually threw the ball backwards. And wasn't he manning the outfield when perhaps the slowest man ever to play major league baseball...the Crime Dog Fred McGriff hit an inside the park home run?

F the Rockies...but not as much as the giants, and dahyers.

Hogan11
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
F the Reds

That is all.

Sassy
04-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Ha! GO PIRATES!

Hogan11
04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Ha! GO PIRATES!

I'll convert you yet Lady.....actually one trip to PNC would probably do it Ha!

Sassy
04-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll convert you yet Lady.....actually one trip to PNC would probably do it Ha!

ROFL!

MechanicalBull
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Mets off to a great start so far and would've been even better if Shawn Green didn't get robbed by Craig Wilson who made a great catch to end the game.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Brad Lidge can bite my crank.

TheChamp24
04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, an interesting stat for the Rockies for the bullpen.
Rockies bullpen has pitched I think 15 innings, and has given up 10 runs.
Lost yesterdays game, lost todays game and its been horrible this year so far. The Padres announcers were making fun of it all day practically. Its pretty embarassing.
Although, geez, the offense has been nonexistent this past series. 7 total runs scored, only gave up though 8 runs. But man, shore up that bullpen!

-Slap-
04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Brad Lidge can bite my crank.

I sympathize fully, but Garner's a fricking moron. Why does he have him out there mopping up today? That's not going to help the situation in any way. I knew Lidge would get smoked in that role right now. If you want this knucklehead to start believing he's a closer again, don't run him out there to pitch the ninth inning of a game that's already over.

I hate to criticize an organization like Houston, though. Any franchise that can field a lineup with two offensive cyphers like Adam Everett (OPS .642) and Brad Ausmus (OPS .593, not a typo, .593) year after year must know what they're doing.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I sympathize fully, but Garner's a fricking moron. Why does he have him out there mopping up today? That's not going to help the situation in any way. I knew Lidge would get smoked in that role right now. If you want this knucklehead to start believing he's a closer again, don't run him out there to pitch the ninth inning of a game that's already over.

Putting him out there was dumb, leaving him in there when he was just getting his ass handed to him was inexplicable. The only saving grace was that only 2 of the 5 runs he allowed in his 2/3 innings of work were earned. Kicked my WHIP dead in the balls, though.

MechanicalBull
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM

I hate to criticize an organization like Houston, though. Any franchise that can field a lineup with two offensive cyphers like Adam Everett (OPS .642) and Brad Ausmus (OPS .593, not a typo, .593) year after year must know what they're doing.

There was no point of putting him out there today especially against the Cardinals. At least he isn't on my fantasy team. ;D

-Slap-
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I have Lidge on a couple teams. The good news is I have Wheeler on my NL Only teams.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I have Lidge on a couple teams. The good news is I have Wheeler on my NL Only teams.

I have him on one team, but thankfully I landed Chris Ray in a trade this past week to hedge against his meltdowns.

He might find himself nailed to one of my reserve spots soon if things don't change.

-Slap-
04-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I have him on one team, but thankfully I landed Chris Ray in a trade this past week to hedge against his meltdowns.

He might find himself nailed to one of my reserve spots soon if things don't change.

Crap like this is another reason I like to go into the season with a healthy closer stockpile. Its better to have one available already than have to go chasing for one when you hit crisis mode.

I'm pulling the plug on Corey Hart in every league. Just like last year, Yost is jerking him around. I knew this would happen. Yost is going to hear Jenkins and Mench bitching about their roles all year anyway, but a strong manager would let this kid develop already. Yost just doesn't seem to like him that much.

Alex Gordon is now 1-19. This puts KC in an awkward position. Nobody is doubting his talent, but what if he starts out 1-30? I mean, eventually it going to affect his confidence.

I'm backing off my Gordon will outperform Delmon Young this year smack. Not so much because Gordon is starting so poorly, either. The baseball was making a really wicked sound coming off Delmon's bat today. That noise is unmistakable. This kid will be a great hitter.

MechanicalBull
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing with Corey Hart as well earlier today. I have him on the bench but it just seems like he isn't even worth it.

Are the White Sox platooning Podsednik and Erstad? I have Podsednik for steals but if he isn't going to playing the majority of the games I'm going to have to look elsewhere for steals.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm backing off my Gordon will outperform Delmon Young this year smack. Not so much because Gordon is starting so poorly, either. The baseball was making a really wicked sound coming off Delmon's bat today. That noise is unmistakable. This kid will be a great hitter.

Did you see Young fire that frozen rope to the plate to hold the runner at 3rd today? Kid showed off a serious cannon on that one.

I'm considering putting Furcal on the trade block. I've got Khalil Green in his spot right now and I've been pretty impressed with what he's shown at the plate thus far.

MechanicalBull
04-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Big Papi finally decides to show up this season. So far tonight 2-2 2 hr and 3 rbi.

OrangeShadow
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah both HRs were pretty good shots and the sox just got a double play, lofton didnt think coco was going to catch up with that fly ball.

WABronco
04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
OS, I'm going to have to back-off on my sweep comments that I made earlier. We're going to be playing our 3rd game in less than 24 hours at your home opener. Be sure to thank Cleveland for their ****ty weather.

You will get off the hook this time, but not the next!

MechanicalBull
04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
OS, I'm going to have to back-off on my sweep comments that I made earlier. We're going to be playing our 3rd game in less than 24 hours at your home opener. Be sure to thank Cleveland for their ****ty weather.

You will get off the hook this time, but not the next!

That was such a bizarre weekend in Cle. Has that ever happened before? For a whole series to be postponed like that? I can't remember anything off hand and now they have to play a double header tomorrow and the fly to Boston.

WABronco
04-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Hahaha Pineiroid loads the bases! You Boston fans are really gonna love that pick-up!

elsid13
04-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Then Papelbon comes in and show what the word nasty mean. 16 pitches to get five outs

Hogan11
04-09-2007, 01:00 AM
It's good to have the Batting Champ back in the fold...got things back on track and avoided the sweep...now, bring on the hated Cards!

Taco John
04-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Then Papelbon comes in and show what the word nasty mean. 16 pitches to get five outs

Dude, that was wicked. That inning was looking like a serious meltdown for Boston after the bunt. After some stumbling, they throw Paps out there, and he comes up with two huge outs. That was sweet!

broncocalijohn
04-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I love a closer that can put more than 3 outs in a save. Rivera and Sutter are two guys that come to mind.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2007, 06:31 AM
That was such a bizarre weekend in Cle. Has that ever happened before? For a whole series to be postponed like that? I can't remember anything off hand and now they have to play a double header tomorrow and the fly to Boston.

Well, if the game doesnt go on Monday, MLB might move the Angels vs Indians series to Anaheim. Last time that happened was when the Kingdome decided to drop parts of the ceiling down below (and I think killed someone) and they had to go on the road for a month. Tickets in Anaheim were $6 a piece and it was first come, first serve. Nothing like sitting front row right where the on deck circle was. $6! Hope it happens again. Here's to crappy weather in Cleveland.

elsid13
04-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Dude, that was wicked. That inning was looking like a serious meltdown for Boston after the bunt. After some stumbling, they throw Paps out there, and he comes up with two huge outs. That was sweet!

Yeah it was. Theo has done a real good job of drafting young power arms. If Hanson can get his stuff together (getting back to using his slider vs trying to throw the ball pass folks with his fastball) playing for the PawSox then it will very tough end of game for batters.

OrangeShadow
04-09-2007, 07:11 AM
daniel bard is another, he pitchin in single a right now but he could be something special to.

oh and pap is the man

-Slap-
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Attention Roto People:

Brad Lidge OUT as closer in Houston. (http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archives/2007/04/brad_lidge_is_o.html)

Put in your claims for Dan Wheeler.

Taco John
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Ryan Howard goes out of the park with a three run shot to pull the Phillies ahead of the Mets.

Taco John
04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
The Mets are a fricken machine...

TheChamp24
04-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Dodger fans look out, Jason Schmidt had to leave early due to a tweaked hamstring in the 5th. Although he did kncok a homer in his 1st at bat.
Also, Matt Kemp hurt his shoulder pretty bad I think. He had to be taken out.

WABronco
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Attention Roto People:

Brad Lidge OUT as closer in Houston. (http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archives/2007/04/brad_lidge_is_o.html)

Put in your claims for Dan Wheeler.

Done...and I had Lidge. Lucky me.

BTW everybody, I hope Seattle keeps their rotation as is so we can see a Felix-Matsuzaka match-up on Wednesday. How sick would that be?

WABronco
04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh how sweet it is!

As for the Mariners, they are continuing to keep their rotation in order, meaning Jeff Weaver tomorrow in Boston and then Felix Hernandez on Wednesday against Red Sox ace Daisuke Matsuzaka in what is looking to be the pitching matchup of the year. Seriously, to get a duo like this squaring off at a setting like Fenway Park, with all the hype thrown in, is just too much to ask for this time of year. So, hats off to Cleveland for this one.

Boston is going downnnnnn, on national TV!

OrangeShadow
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
please, you guys are going to need all the rest you can muster to deal with beckett,dice-k and the POPE at the end of games. I see the sox taking AT LEAST 2 of 3

WABronco
04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Weaver was only setting you guys up for tomorrow...you'll see!

OrangeShadow
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
bwahaha beckett was FILTHY!

elsid13
04-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I am so pissed I missed the game because I thought it was at night. Beckett looked sick on the highlights

Crowpointer
04-10-2007, 10:59 PM
We had a sick view of the Jet flyover for the national anthem from my building. Everything was going perfect until I heard that Peyton Manning was at the game.:thumbsdow

elsid13
04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Wait til the circus tomorrow night. I be up in NH so I will at least have the game.

WABronco
04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I am so pissed I missed the game because I thought it was at night. Beckett looked sick on the highlights

Wierd...so did I. I got home and was like "oh well, didn't miss much!"

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Another day, another blown save for Jorge Julio.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Stupid ****ing Jenks is blowing it in the 9th, he is going to waste Garland's outstanding outing.

EDIT: Son of a bitch, i knew it.

TheChamp24
04-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Man, anyone else surprised by the Rockies starting pitching? Lopez pitches a freakin GEM. Bullpen still shaky though with Kim blowing it, but come on, you aren't going to win ballgames scoring 1 freakin run. WHeres the offense?
Also, that home plate ump was very unconsistent, for both teams. Stick with a strike zone man. And the last pitch, called strike to Torrealba, that was a ball, at the ankles nearly.

Dukes
04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
The Rockies record in 1 run games is already horrendus this year. It's sickening really

Hogan11
04-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I friggin hate St. Louis....swept by the Red Birds Boooooo

Sassy
04-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Awww :(

WABronco
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Matsuzaka is gonna own pretty much everybody outside of Johjima and Ichiro.

Vidro breaks up the no-no! Embarassing!

WABronco
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Yea Guillen, kill someone!

Yowza he killed that ball. Dice-K gets saved by the monster...

TheChamp24
04-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Wow, how bout that King Felix, huh? 1 hit shutout, silencing the Dice-K talk. Spectacular outing by Felix.

WABronco
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow, how bout that King Felix, huh? 1 hit shutout, silencing the Dice-K talk. Spectacular outing by Felix.

/changes shorts for the 3rd time tonight

Aaaaahhhh...me likey

9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K

elsid13
04-11-2007, 10:44 PM
great game by the kid from Seattle tonight. That was impressive performance.

MechanicalBull
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
It sucks when you have Ortiz on your fantasy team but what a game pitched by Felix.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
It sucks when you have Ortiz on your fantasy team but what a game pitched by Felix.

It's pretty cool when you traded Chone Figgins straight across for Felix. :yayaya:

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Craig Monroe hits a grand slam in the 12th for the Tigers.

Nice outing for Verlander tonight. A no decision, but 7 innings of 3 hit ball.

Tigers 4

Orioles 1

SouthStndJunkie
04-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Greg Maddux had a nice outing tonight.

I still enjoy watching Maddux pitch.

Taco John
04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
FELIX!

TheChamp24
04-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Good gravy wtf is up with the Rockies hitting. Getting shutout through 8 so far. Since the Arizona series, they've scored a total of 14 runs in just about 6 games so far, and one game they scored 6 runs. So really, 8 runs in 5 games. How the hell are you supposed to win with that kind of performance? Good lord. Whats funny is the Rockies pitching staff has yet to give up more than 3 runs a game on the road trip. 16 runs in 6 games. And what do they have to show for it? A 2-4 record. This is pathetic.

Clockwork Orange
04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Bill Simmons talk about King Felix's performance last night and how it's haunting him in fantasy baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Here's when fantasy baseball rips your heart out: Last summer, my buddy Hench and I were trying to win our A.L.-only keeper league without trading Felix Hernandez, our prized stud who was locked up as a keeper through 2009. Our roster was loaded enough that we could conceivably carry a 20-year-old phenom, weather his up-and-down starts for six months and still win the league. We were simply hoping for a 14-12 record, a 4.20 ERA, 180 innings, 175 K's and a decent WHIP. Seemed reasonable.

Nope. Through the first two months, Felix murdered us: ERA in the high 5's, terrible WHIP, opponents hitting .289, shelled every other start. Meanwhile, a last-place owner named Jack was already rebuilding around young guys and prospects for 2008. Jack had one major trade chip: Johan Santana in the last year of his fake contract. The logical deal was Felix for Santana -- Jack would get a building block for the future, Santana would win us the league. Every week, Jack e-mailed us the offer. Every week, we turned him down. Finally, Felix got shelled in an early June start and we couldn't hold off anymore ... we pulled the trigger, hoping and praying that Felix wouldn't turn things around.

Well, Santana ended up winning us the league. Whether it's your real sports team or your fantasy team, you can't regret any trade that directly results in a championship. You just can't. The whole point is winning a title, even if it's the League of Dorks. Still, it was hard to remember that axiom as Felix destroyed Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Red Sox at Fenway last night. The pitching line (111 pitches, one hit, six K's, two walks) didn't do the performance justice. Boston never had a chance. There wasn't a single moment where you thought, "All right, we're gonna get him this inning."

And sure, there's a chance Felix might not become a superstar over these next three seasons, whether it's because of his weight issues, Seattle's shaky bullpen, Mike Hargrove's penchant for blowing out young arms or whatever. You never know with young pitchers. But after watching Felix blow through Fenway like Clint Eastwood in a Spaghetti Western, I'd believe any outcome for the next few years of his career. The ceiling of the Felix Era has officially been removed.

Looking back, would I make that Santana-Felix trade again? Yes. We won the league because of it. I keep telling myself this. Over and over again.

(And again. And again.)

Pendejo
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Bill Simmons talk about King Felix's performance last night and how it's haunting him in fantasy baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

And sure, there's a chance Felix might not become a superstar over these next three seasons, whether it's because of his weight issues, Seattle's shaky bullpen, Mike Hargrove's penchant for blowing out young arms or whatever. You never know with young pitchers. But after watching Felix blow through Fenway like Clint Eastwood in a Spaghetti Western, I'd believe any outcome for the next few years of his career. The ceiling of the Felix Era has officially been removed.

Looking back, would I make that Santana-Felix trade again? Yes. We won the league because of it. I keep telling myself this. Over and over again.

(And again. And again.)

From everything I heard during spring training...Felix has really matured a lot in the last year. He apparently has figured out that fitness does matter (Do you hear that Bartolo Colon?). He came in to spring training 20lbs lighter than he weighed last season.

He's another one of the top notch young pitching talents in the league. If he keeps his head on straight, and avoids a serious injury he'll anchor the M's pitching staff for years and years.

-Slap-
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
He throws the heaviest ball I've ever seen. His ground to fly ball ratio is 29-5!

WABronco
04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
He throws the heaviest ball I've ever seen. His ground to fly ball ratio is 29-5!

And it's 95+ MPH!

Pendejo
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
And it's 95+ MPH!

Just wait until he learns how to pitch. That's not a slight either. He's got the goods.

(Edit: You also cannot underestimate the people a young pitcher is surrounded by either. Greg Maddux has purportedly already had a solid impact on the Madres' young arms. And the other day when "Call a real cop!" was in a jam, and getting fired up...two time World Series winner Bud Black simply walked out to the mound and calmed him down. Peavy was out of the inning on the next pitch.)

It's so much fun to watch these young guys throw...unless they're dealing against your team. I'm sure the Madres will get to see Felix sometime this season as they have a MLB created natural rivalry.

Clockwork Orange
04-12-2007, 11:40 PM
The Devil Rays just showed yet another reason why they're a bottom feeder. Zobrist on 1st, nobody out, Carl Crawford doubles. Zobrist was held at 3rd base, but Crawford inexplicably kept running to 3rd. Zobrist instinctively took off for home because two runners can't occupy the same base, but then when he was in the rundown, Crawford inexplicably started running back to 2nd. Mauer tags out Zobrist between 3rd & home, then fires to 2nd where Crawford is out by a mile.

Carl Crawford is an outstanding player, but that was a braindead play worthy of JD Drew.

Taco John
04-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Just posting my new sig... :)

Clockwork Orange
04-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Just posting my new sig... :)

Me too.

Natedog24
04-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Me too.

Nice Ha! :spit:

-Slap-
04-13-2007, 03:19 AM
That's clever.

Clockwork Orange
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Looks like Carlos Lee is waking up. 2-2, 2 HR, 5 RBI's, 2 R so far against the Phillies tonight.

Oswalt finally getting some run support.

Clockwork Orange
04-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Make it a hat trick for Carlos Lee.

Wow.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Congrats to Todd Helton on his 1000th career RBI.

http://photostore.mlb.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=314&ptp_photo_id=381436&size=575x480_mb

:notworthy

TheChamp24
04-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Major props to Helton, great guy and terrific player. Just needs to start getting some homeruns!
Also, Corpas is fricken SICK out there on the mound. Nasty stuff, he definitely should be the set up guy and no doubt will be a closer one day.

Taco John
04-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Brett Myers is really trying my patience...

Hogan11
04-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Sigh...:(

I hate the new red alternate uniforms for the Buccos BTW, the red on the cap is alright, but they didn't even wear that last night.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Second consecutive strong outing for Rich Hill today. 7 shutout innings, 3 hits, 5 K's.

Zambrano should take notes.

OrangeShadow
04-14-2007, 07:09 PM
anyone else see the pope(papelbon) OWNNNNNNNNNNN vlad last night?

Bronco LB 59
04-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Brett Myers is really trying my patience...

I have a special rule barring that POS from my team.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 07:21 PM

The "Wife beaters need not apply" rule? I have that for my teams, too.

OrangeShadow
04-14-2007, 07:53 PM
ZING!!!!! 3 run bomb to center for papi!

elsid13
04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Sox are looking good. Wonder when Willy Moe will get his chance to play? Need to bench Coco Chrips butt.

Pendejo
04-14-2007, 08:41 PM
A couple hours away from the opening pitch of Madres/Dahyers II. Peavy vs. Schmidt. Peavy looks rejuvenated from having a complete spring training, and the Madres have owned Schmidt over the years. Hopefully the Friars can atone for the absolute stomping they took in Chavez ravine last night.

OrangeShadow
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Sox are looking good. Wonder when Willy Moe will get his chance to play? Need to bench Coco Chrips butt.

Id rather them play will mo in center. He played well there last year and he needs at bats

WABronco
04-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Beltre should have at least 4 or 5 HR's on the season. If he played outside of Safeco he would've had 3 today.

Guillen's starting to get hot though, and if someone starts hitting well enough to displace Mr. .000002 slugging % Jose Vidro from the 3 hole, Seattle's lineup looks solid 1-9.

M's in 1st place YEAAAAAAAA!

elsid13
04-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Id rather them play will mo in center. He played well there last year and he needs at bats

I agree. I think the kid could be a stud with enough at bats. Plus it would help protect Drew

TheChamp24
04-15-2007, 01:52 AM
LaTroy Hawkins records his 3rd loss of the season already, great pickup that was.
And when is Corpas the setup man? Dumbasses....

Pendejo
04-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Jake "Call a real cop" Peavy deals all over the Dahyers, and the Madres after licking their wounds hand LA a no holds barred beat down of their own.

While his strikeout numbers are down...feel free to pencil in 'Bama as your 2007 NL Cy Young award winner.

Taco John
04-15-2007, 05:01 AM

I'm no fan of wife beaters, but there was a pitching run early in my draft, and by the time I got around to picking up a pitcher, he was the best available...

MechanicalBull
04-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Heavy rain all along the east coast today so some of today's games could end up getting delayed or ppd. It's pretty funny how teams like KC and Washington are already 4.5 and 5 games out.

-Slap-
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=5464&dateline=1176654662

Greg Valentine?

MechanicalBull
04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=5464&dateline=1176654662

Greg Valentine?

yes. i love the shirt he has on.

-Slap-
04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I remember when he came to the LA circuit in the mid 70s. They promoted him as a protege of John Tolos. They partnered up as bad guys until one night when Valentine turned on Tolos and then they turned Tolos into a good guy.

MechanicalBull
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
He still might be around today doing smaller local shows but remember watching him in the early-mid 80s.

WABronco
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Omg Jose Vidro With 2 Dingers In His First Two At Bats!

It Is A Miracllleeee!!!!!!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Eric Byrnes now has 11 RBIs this season, 8 of them against Colorado.

I'm so glad O'Dowd, the owner of a freshly signed two year extension, got rid of that guy. ::)

Clockwork Orange
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
All too familiar scene in Oakland. Rich Harden leaving the field being accompanied by the A's trainer. Didn't look like anything happened, but this is Harden we're talking about here. :nono:

WABronco
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Texas=****ty infield defense

WABronco
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Beltre hits another would-be-jack that gets swallowed up by the safe...

Rich Harden leaves the Oak-NY game with an apparent shoulder injury, too. Yikes.

EDIT-He didn't miss that one...

Clockwork Orange
04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Mariano Rivera blows a two run 9th inning lead, giving up a 3 run bomb to Marco Scutaro.

I'm sure Yankee fans will find a way to blame A-Rod for it.

WABronco
04-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Mariano Rivera blows a two run 9th inning lead, giving up a 3 run bomb to Marco Scutaro.

Marco Scutaro? Yikesssss.

OrangeShadow
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
i dont give a rats ass how they lose as long as they do.

TheChamp24
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
OMG I fricken hate Byung Kim. Get rid of that bum!

MechanicalBull
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM

If A-Rod continued hitting homers like he's been doing there would be no need to bring in Mariano and the Yanks would've won. How dare A-Rod only go 2-3 with 1 rbi ;D

Clockwork Orange
04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
If A-Rod continued hitting homers like he's been doing there would be no need to bring in Mariano and the Yanks would've won. How dare A-Rod only go 2-3 with 1 rbi ;D

Actually, he missed a 3 run homer to center field by about a foot in the 8th inning. It ended up being a sac fly and gave the Yankees a 4-2 lead.

So it is A-Rod's fault. ROFL!

RhymesayersDU
04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
All the Dodgers wearing 42 is pretty cool.

Clockwork Orange
04-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Apparently there was tightness in Harden's shoulder that caused him to come out of the game. He claims that he'll be fine and won't miss a start, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Pendejo
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know if they always do this, but while the Madres have designated some games on the shed-yool as premium and increased the price accordingly...they have also designated some Thursday afternoon games as 2 for 1 days. Meaning in certain sections including the good seats in the Toyota Terrace are half price. I believe dogs are two for one as well.

I was downtown today, and picked up an upper reserve ducket for six bucks. Add that to the $2.25 for bus fare to be dropped off directly across from PetCo, and on Thursday I'm getting an afternoon of MLB for less than the cost of going to a movie.

Jake Peavy Vs. Livan Hernandez.

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Pudge hit a grand slam in the first inning.

I have tickets for the White Sox/Tigers game on Sunday.

-Slap-
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know if they always do this, but while the Madres have designated some games on the shed-yool as premium and increased the price accordingly...they have also designated some Thursday afternoon games as 2 for 1 days. Meaning in certain sections including the good seats in the Toyota Terrace are half price. I believe dogs are two for one as well.

I was downtown today, and picked up an upper reserve ducket for six bucks. Add that to the $2.25 for bus fare to be dropped off directly across from PetCo, and on Thursday I'm getting an afternoon of MLB for less than the cost of going to a movie.

Jake Peavy Vs. Livan Hernandez.

:thumbsup:

Creative marketing and it makes sense.

WABronco
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I might be going to Wednesday night's Felix-Silva matchup in Seattle.

OMG MY HEAD WILL BLOW UP IF I DO

MechanicalBull
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Damn it. I'm almost positive I have Pudge on the bench this week and he has 6 rbi tonight alone. :cuss:

Hogan11
04-16-2007, 11:26 PM
F@#* The Cards

That is all.

Pendejo
04-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Behind shoddy defense, dead bats, and highly suspect pitching the Madres are currently getting stomped by the Cubs 12-1. Only Jake Peavy has managed to look good in each of his starts thus far. The other guys have been up and down...aside from my boy Clay Hensley who is having a terrible year to this point.

Also...Soriano left the game after hurting his leg diving for a ball. The Great Jerry Coleman reported it was a hammy.

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 01:57 AM
F@#* The Cards

That is all.

Nice job by the Buccos tonight, especially the pitchers. A beautiful effort by Ian Snell, even though he didn't seem to have his best stuff. Major gut check by Salomon Torres, saving a 3-2 lead in the ninth inning:

LaRoche boots an easy grounder to put the leadoff hitter on.

Molina sacrifices him to second.

Miles hits a dribbler up third base, but it hits the bag and now there are runners at the corners with one out.

The little pest Eckstein lets an inside pitch barely nip his oversized shirt sleeve and now the bases are loaded with one out.

Chris Duncan steps in. He pinch hit a game winning homer against Torres the last time he faced him, last week in St Louis. Torres wasted no time getting him down 0-1 and then inducing a weak fly ball to left.

3-2. Bases loaded. Two outs in the ninth. Albert Pujols steps up to the plate. Torres calmly gets him to pop up and that's the ballgame. Snell evens his record at 1-1 and Torres records his fifth save in six attempts.

Its easy to root for Torres, too. He's given back a lot to the baseball playing youth in his native Dominican Republic.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/774/torressalomonpbp1lh5.jpg

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Anybody in any kind of fantasy baseball league: rotisserie, points, head-to-head, keeper, Sunday slowpitch, whatever, do yourselves a big favor. Sign Carlos Quentin and do it now.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/9513/22020161zb0.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem. Carlos is currently owned in only 38% of CBS leagues. That number will double by next week and top 90% by the All Star Break.

Brad Penny totally dominated the DiamondBacks tonight, allowing only four hits through seven innings, as he cruised to victory. Two of those four hits were doubles by Carlos Quentin. The first one should have scored Chad Tracy, but he was nailed at the plate on a beautiful relay from left field by former D-Back Luis Gonzalez.

Quentin's second double was a scorching line drive that cracked off the top of the fence in left field. He finished the evening 2-4 and one of his outs was really hard, too.

The kid is a flat out rake. He's been a very underrated prospect until recently, despite being a former first round pick after a fine collegiate career at Stanford.

The most impressive thing about Quentin is the way he controls the strike zone. Last season, at AAA Tucson, Quentin walked 45 times and struck out 46 times. In 2005, he walked 72 times and struck out 71 times. For a young power hitter to have that kind of knowledge of the strike zone is very impressive.

At 6'1", 225, Carlos doesn't possess light tower power, but the ball explodes off his bat and I think 30 pumps are attainable as soon as this season.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1508/337427qx5.jpg http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/154/dipsh4t9ie9.jpg http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1883/175315ag6.jpg

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I reacquired Quentin on one team in which I needed an outfielder as soon as I heard he might come off the DL last night. I got him for my other two teams tonight. It's only fair since I drafted him in each league to begin with. :)

I also managed to get his teammate, Eric Byrnes, as a free agent on one team. Not a bad acquisition for free and he can't possibly do worse for me than Elijah Dukes did. :nono:

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 02:49 AM
I reacquired Quentin on one team in which I needed an outfielder as soon as I heard he might come off the DL last night. I got him for my other two teams tonight. It's only fair since I drafted him in each league to begin with. :)

I also managed to get his teammate, Eric Byrnes, as a free agent on one team. Not a bad acquisition for free and he can't possibly do worse for me than Elijah Dukes did. :nono:

Byrnes is streaky, but he can really fill a stat line when he's hot. He was one of only three players with 25 homers and 25 SB last year. The only problem is he will lapse into the occasional 5 for 40 or worse.

I hope Elijah Dukes gets arrested again.

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Byrnes is streaky, but he can really fill a stat line when he's hot. He was one of only three players with 25 homers and 25 SB last year. The only problem is he will lapse into the occasional 5 for 40 or worse.

I hope Elijah Dukes gets arrested again.

Byrnes got me more hits tonight (2) than Dukes did all of last week. Kid really needs to stop swinging out of his shoes every at bat.

I know Soriano got 25/25 last year, who was the third?

Taco John
04-17-2007, 03:07 AM
A guy in my home league is offering King Felix for the right offer... Not sure I have the juice he needs, but considering it's a keeper league and my pitching is horrendous right now, I've been scratching my chin over it...

Jason Bay is killing me, whitey. He's killing me!

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 03:11 AM
A guy in my home league is offering King Felix for the right offer... Not sure I have the juice he needs, but considering it's a keeper league and my pitching is horrendous right now, I've been scratching my chin over it...

Make it happen, dude. You won't regret it.

I can't help but count my lucky stars every time I think I got him straight up for Chone Figgins.:strong:

Pendejo
04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Byrnes got me more hits tonight (2) than Dukes did all of last week. Kid really needs to stop swinging out of his shoes every at bat.

I think Jimmy Rollins did it, and Mike Cameron was very close.

(Edit: Rollins went 25/36. Cameron was 22/25.)

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 03:18 AM
I think Jimmy Rollins did it, and Mike Cameron was very close.

(Edit: Rollins went 25/36. Cameron was 22/25.)

Muchos gracias. :)

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 03:21 AM

Pendejo was right. It was Jimmy Rollins. Check him out this year. He's channeling Joe Morgan right now.

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 03:24 AM
It shouldn't be a problem. Carlos is currently owned in only 38% of CBS leagues. That number will double by next week and top 90% by the All Star Break.

Already up to 40% in less than an hour.

:)

I predict he'll be the most added player in CBS this week.

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Pendejo was right. It was Jimmy Rollins. Check him out this year. He's channeling Joe Morgan right now.

I think Rollins has been traded twice in one of my leagues. That's no knock on Rollins, though. Johan Santana, Joe Nathan, Chris Carpenter and Grady Sizemore have all been traded twice in that league, too.

I honestly think some people in that league deal just for the sake of it.

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Already up to 40% in less than an hour.

:)

I predict he'll be the most added player in CBS this week.

Glad I beat the Christmas rush. :)

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Good hitter's park. Good young lineup, too. All they really lack is a big thumper to bat cleanup.

OrangeShadow
04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
another solid outing from beckett and papi is hitting his stride, look out al east when manny starts hitting!

Crowpointer
04-17-2007, 12:32 PM
The baseball highlight of the day yesterday. Keep an eye on the guy in the Pats coat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGcj3o0YGs&mode=related&search=

-Slap-
04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
What's up with Pudge Rodriguez?

Base stealers are six for six against him this year.

WABronco
04-17-2007, 08:20 PM

DO IT he will be a Cy Young contender for the forseeable future!

elsid13
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Willi Mo hit an absolute bomb to dead center in Sky dome. Wow!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2007, 09:08 PM
A-Rod crushes another one. Yikes!

Taco John
04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
I can't freaking believe that the Giant's bullpen gave up a 5 run 8th inning to blow a fine bit of work laid down by Matt Cain. What a damn shame...

/sorry Clockwork...

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 02:40 AM
I can't freaking believe that the Giant's bullpen gave up a 5 run 8th inning to blow a fine bit of work laid down by Matt Cain. What a damn shame...

/sorry Clockwork...

I'd be pissed if I had Matt Cain on one of my teams, too. He's pitched a couple of gems and has no wins to show for it.

On the flipside, I got an unexpected save from Fuentes out of it, so I'm pretty happy. ;D

SouthStndJunkie
04-18-2007, 03:10 AM
What's up with Pudge Rodriguez?

Base stealers are six for six against him this year.

It's still early. He will start gunning them down soon.

Meanwhile Todd Jones gets league leading save #7 tonight.

TheChamp24
04-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Heck, I'd be pissed if I were Matt Cain. 20 innings of work, only 8 hits given up, 9 walks, 17 K's, 4 runs, a .123 BAA and a 1.80 ERA. And what does he have to show for it? A 0-1 record. Amazing. Giants have scored 6 total runs for him, heck he lost a game 1-0 earlier.
Amazing the Rocks came back to win the game to be honest. I thought they were finished after Taveras got caught sleeping. Things went their way though and Torrealba crushed one to left that fell out of Linden's glove.
One thing though, Cain needs to work on his control, he works on that, throws more strikes, and he will be even better.
As for Hirsh, I think he is a solid pitcher who needs to work on the same thing. He got in trouble because he left pitches out over the plate and got hammered, but came back and rebounded and in the end, only gave up 3 runs in 7 innings. I think he could end up being a quality middle of the rotation guy down the road.

Taco John
04-18-2007, 03:38 AM
He threw 7 friggen strikes tonight!

AUGH!

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 03:53 AM
He threw 7 friggen strikes tonight!

AUGH!

Hey, get off the pot and trade for King Felix already. His value gets higher with each dominant start and his next trip to the bump is tomorrow.

Make it happen. :yayaya:

Taco John
04-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Hey, get off the pot and trade for King Felix already. His value gets higher with each dominant start and his next trip to the bump is tomorrow.

Make it happen. :yayaya:

I can't afford to buy him this high... Due to a couple of unlucky breaks managing my pitchers, I've found myself in last place. Brett Meyers has completely screwed every chance I've had to win my pitching battles, not to mention Dan Haren and Chris Young having their struggles. I'm not worried, because I know these guys will be delivering some solid games once they get out of this cold April and into some warm weather. I've benched all three of those guys until they start putting up numbers to keep the ERA and WHIP down (my home league is a 25 stat extravaganza - I love it!). I've currently got Matt Cain, Eric Bedard, Jeremy Bonderman, and Rich Hill manning the fort. I have a feeling that it would cost me one of those guys plus either Ortiz or Rollins in order to get King Felix on my staff... That's pretty steep.

I'm kind of hoping I can get Felix after a bad game, and maybe try and pull Figgins and Felix out of him for Rollins and Bonderman. Or worst case, Ortiz and Bonderman. I need more stolen bases.

I hate the idea of losing Ortiz though, especially for a guy he drafted in the fourth round.

I need an ace though.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 04:22 AM
I can't afford to buy him this high... Due to a couple of unlucky breaks managing my pitchers, I've found myself in last place. Brett Meyers has completely screwed every chance I've had to win my pitching battles, not to mention Dan Haren and Chris Young having their struggles. I'm not worried, because I know these guys will be delivering some solid games once they get out of this cold April and into some warm weather. I've benched all three of those guys until they start putting up numbers to keep the ERA and WHIP down (my home league is a 25 stat extravaganza - I love it!). I've currently got Matt Cain, Eric Bedard, Jeremy Bonderman, and Rich Hill manning the fort. I have a feeling that it would cost me one of those guys plus either Ortiz or Rollins in order to get King Felix on my staff... That's pretty steep.

I'm kind of hoping I can get Felix after a bad game, and maybe try and pull Figgins and Felix out of him for Rollins and Bonderman. Or worst case, Ortiz and Bonderman. I need more stolen bases.

I hate the idea of losing Ortiz though, especially for a guy he drafted in the fourth round.

I need an ace though.

Could your offense withstand the loss of Ortiz if it meant getting Hernandez?

-Slap-
04-18-2007, 04:24 AM

I need an ace though.

Are you talking about David Ortiz? Because you seem to be undervaluing him. I would think Ortiz straight up for Felix would be very fair.

Haren is pitching in bad luck right now, but I would keep him active. The league is batting about .220 against him. I would also advise against benching Young @ PetCo.

Your team has plenty of talent. We're not even 10% of the way into the season yet.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Maybe you could get a frustrated owner to part with Carlos Zambrano. He's off to a rough start, but he definitely fits the "ace" category when he's on top of his game.

This message brought to you by a frustrated owner of Carlos Zambrano

:moody:

-Slap-
04-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Just sit on your ass and wait for somebody to dump Albert Pujols in your lap.

:sunshine:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1922/wallpaperpujols1mn9.jpg

That happened to me yesterday. I clicked on one of my Diamond Leagues and there was a guy offering me Albert Pujols and Corey Patterson for Lance Berkman and Alex Rios.

Christmas in April.......!Booya!

Taco John
04-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Could your offense withstand the loss of Ortiz if it meant getting Hernandez?

There's not enough stats in to determine that... Another reason I'm not quick to make the move. After this third week, I'll be able to triangulate that and come up with a better idea about it.

Are you talking about David Ortiz? Because you seem to be undervaluing him. I would think Ortiz straight up for Felix would be very fair.

I probably should note that this is my home league, and I'm in Mariners country. Plus, I like to make trades in the same way that Congress attaches "riders" to bills... If I can somehow address pitching and stolen bases in the same trade, that would at least give me some emotional cusion every time I see Ortiz knocking guys around the bases.

A little Chicken Soup for the Fantasy Baseball soul... :clown:

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 04:40 AM
That's just nuts.

I get some waterhead constantly offering me Magglio Ordonez & Derek Lowe for Vlad Guerrero and this ****ing guy gets Pujols for fifty cents on the dollar.

Life's not fair. :nono:

;D

Taco John
04-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Just sit on your ass and wait for somebody to dump Albert Pujols in your lap.

:sunshine:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1922/wallpaperpujols1mn9.jpg

That happened to me yesterday. I clicked on one of my Diamond Leagues and there was a guy offering me Albert Pujols and Corey Patterson for Lance Berkman and Alex Rios.

Christmas in April.......!Booya!

You just gave me a great idea...

Pendejo
04-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Maybe you could get a frustrated owner to part with Carlos Zambrano. He's off to a rough start, but he definitely fits the "ace" category when he's on top of his game.

This message brought to you by a frustrated owner of Carlos Zambrano

:moody:

There seems to be a hell of a lot of quality guys that are getting off to really slow starts this year. Pitchers and position players.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 04:54 AM
There seems to be a hell of a lot of quality guys that are getting off to really slow starts this year. Pitchers and position players.

None more annoying to fantasy/roto owners than (drum roll please).....

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/06/24/VrdEGVWx.jpg

I don't have him on any of my teams (thankfully) but the collective teeth grinding of those who do is highly audible.

Taco John
04-18-2007, 04:54 AM
We'll see how great this idea is...

I'm offering Rollins and Chris Young for Pujols and Carpenter (who is currently on the IR).

I don't know if he'll go for it, but if I could swing that, I could feel comfortable in dealing Ortiz for King Felix and have myself a team with three brand new keepers...

Taco John
04-18-2007, 04:56 AM
None more annoying to fantasy/roto owners than (drum roll please).....

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/06/24/VrdEGVWx.jpg

I don't have him on any of my teams (thankfully) but the collective teeth grinding of those who do is highly audible.

http://www.narconon.ca/images/steroids.jpg

Pick up Teix in July, when owners will be frustrated with him, and ride him in a utility position through the dog days of August. That worked pretty well for me last year.

OrangeShadow
04-18-2007, 07:52 AM
man dice-k was on tonight and the sox probably would of won if the homeplate ump had a consistent strike zone.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Todd Jones blows his first save of the year. :cuss:

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Phils demote the wifebeater, Myers, to the bullpen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842178

-Slap-
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Phils demote the wifebeater, Myers, to the bullpen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842178

Charlie Manuel is a frigging kook. Myers might be a dirtbag, but he's still the ace of that underwhelming staff. Cole Hamels is going to be a good one, but Sweaty Freddie Garcia is deteriorating before our eyes, Moyer is 56 years old and Adam Eaton is your garden variety head case.

Some 61 year old radio guy suggested Manuel should get tougher with his underachieving ballclub yesterday and the knucklehead starts making noise about fighting the guy. Guess what, Charlie? You just became the number one topic on Philly sports radio for the next four months.

SoCalBronco
04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Go Mark Buehrle...get that no hitter!

Man that would do a world of good for him after his game really fell off big time about midway through last year when he had that horrible game against the Cubs.

Pendejo
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Mike Cameron is surprisingly struggling a bit with the glove this year. He just misjudged another fly ball that led to another run. There is no issue with the weather tonight in SD either. I wonder if he's having some vision problems as a result of the broken face he suffered. Although he was brilliant in center field last year.

Pendejo
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Buehrle (sp?) gets the no no...one walk away from a perfect game.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
King Felix leaves in the 1st inning with an apparent injury.

Not good.

-Slap-
04-18-2007, 11:29 PM
King Felix leaves in the 1st inning with an apparent injury.

Not good.

I'll bet its a groin.

Clockwork Orange
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
What a rotten day on the bump for one of my teams. Jones blows a save, Kazmir needs 102 pitches to get through 4 innings and now Hernandez leaves after 1/3 of an inning with an injury.

That's not even mentioning my other team where Zambrano was a lop of **** out there yet again.

Bad day, man, bad ****ing day.

Taco John
04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I bet I can get Felix cheap now, eh?

-Slap-
04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Tonight shows why not many starting pitchers are worth the 50 bombs and 140 RBI Big Papi brings to the table year after year.

Pitchers are a goddamn necessary evil at best.

Somebody needs to explain to Carlos Zambrano the concept of the salary drive, because he's got the car in reverse.

-Slap-
04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Mark Buehrle with a no hitter today and Jason Bay was a single away from the cycle.

Brandon Webb is just filthy tonight. Nine Ks through five innings, including six in a row at one point.

TheChamp24
04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I bet Mariner fans everywhere are praying the King is okay...

Taco John
04-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I bet Mariner fans everywhere are praying the King is okay...

No doubt. Our season is as good as finished if Felix is out. Unless, of course, Jeff Weaver, uh... does what Jeff Weaver does best...

...or something.

Clockwork Orange
04-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Unless, of course, Jeff Weaver, uh... does what Jeff Weaver does best...

...or something.

http://www.survivinggrady.com/spicoli.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh, I know. You want me to pitch, huh? Haw haw, gnarly.

Bronco Billy
04-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Mark Buehrle with a no hitter today and Jason Bay was a single away from the cycle.

Brandon Webb is just filthy tonight. Nine Ks through five innings, including six in a row at one point.

Buehrle pitched great, but he wouldn't have got the no hitter w/o Crede's glove at 3rd! What a play! "He gone!"

Taco John
04-19-2007, 12:34 AM
http://www.survivinggrady.com/spicoli.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh, I know. You want me to pitch, huh? Haw haw, gnarly.

Hahaha! Ha!

That one deserves a rep...

Taco John
04-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Crap... I don't even know what to do with Meyers now... I guess I just hold tight and hope that this is just a "wake up" move...

Ugh...

Clockwork Orange
04-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Hernandez left the game with tightness in the elbow of his pitching arm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842468

-Slap-
04-19-2007, 01:18 AM
AZ rookie Chris Young dropped a routine flyball to start the 8th inning and that runner came around to tie the game 2-2, spoiling Brandon Webb's 13 strikeout masterpiece.

Trevor Hoffman's changeup just made Carlos Quentin screw himself right into the ground for strike three.

Pendejo
04-19-2007, 01:37 AM
AZ rookie Chris Young dropped a routine flyball to start the 8th inning and that runner came around to tie the game 2-2, spoiling Brandon Webb's 13 strikeout masterpiece.

Trevor Hoffman's changeup just made Carlos Quentin screw himself right into the ground for strike three.

Poetic justice of sorts as Cameron's misplay in the first led to a snake's run.

Both starting pitchers were excellent tonight.

Cameron struck out with the winning run on third to end the 9th. He's struggling in every facet of the the game right now. I'm also sick of all the time Blum is getting...he's another hack who can't sacrifice a guy to second.

OrangeShadow
04-19-2007, 08:52 AM
another save for the POPE

B-Love
04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Buehrle pitched great, but he wouldn't have got the no hitter w/o Crede's glove at 3rd! What a play! "He gone!"

Chavez getting that award last year over Joe was a crime.

No one played better hot corner last year than Crede.

Clockwork Orange
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Derek Lowe wants everyone to know that his subpar outing last night at Coors Field was in no way his own fault.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270418127

Lowe blamed the altitude for his poor outing.

"It's not really baseball," he said of pitching at Coors Field. "This is the only place in baseball that bad games affect me. This is really a tough place to pitch. If you played here 81 games and you can't hit here you should quit."
------

Always makes me chuckle when players come in here and use the built in excuses when they play poorly. If they don't pitch well, it's the altitude. If they don't hit well, it's the humidor.

Same old, same old.

Master___Pain
04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Here's a question for the seam heads here:
Is Omar Vizquel a HOFer? His numbers basically mirror Ozzie Smith's and Ozzie was a first ballot guy (which seems to be a widely debated issue on it's own)

Clockwork Orange
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
A-Rod with another walk off home run, a 3 run bomb this time. Yikes!

WABronco
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Praise The Lord! The Chosen One Is Not Un-healthy!

Pendejo
04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
A-Rod with another walk off home run, a 3 run bomb this time. Yikes!

Yankee fan says "It should have been a 4 run home run."

Smelvin
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Hernandez left the game with tightness in the elbow of his pitching arm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842468

For those that know something about mechanics and the strain certain pitches put on the elbow, this is not a surprise. King Felix has solid mechanics, but sinker/slider pitchers are much more prone to blowing out their elbow when they throw a high percentage of sinkers/sliders. King Felix is guity. His slider is dowright nasty, but it's hard and hard sliders are death on the elbow. Just ask Rob Nen. Jake Peavy is next.

And the shocker of the season: Rich Harden left his last start with an inflamed shoulder. It's sad becasue he's uber-talented, but his diminutive frame cannot support the consistent high 90's gas he brings.

I worry BIG TIME about Tim Lincecum's durability for just this reason.

-Slap-
04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Which is why Randy Johnson is still throwing sliders at 40.

What a surprise that Smalvag is back after another pitcher injury to say I told you so. Except he never said crap about Felix. He's still patting himself on the back for saying a pitcher who missed half the previous season was injury prone.

Pitchers get hurt at a far higher rate than position players. They are also far more likely to see a decline in their performance when trying to play through an injury than position players. This is Baseball 101.

Rock Chalk
04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice, 'Stros down 6-2 in the 8th, score 5 in the 8th to take the lead 7-6.

9th inning Lane just jacks a solo homer to put us up 8-6.

Smelvin
04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Really? I never said anything about King Felix?

Lol...go look back at the thread. My agenda was to point out that with pitchers, you can look at their deliveries and have a good indication of who will endure injury, and who will not. YOU felt the need to dispute that fact...which further proves your lack of knowledge or simple ignorance. Sure you love your fantasy game, but I'm trying to give you some advice. Stay away from pitchers with violent deliveries, guys who throw high percentages of sinkers/sliders, and guys who have diminutive body fames. Liriano, Harden, Peavy, Webb, soon to be King Felix...all are injuries in the making.

Injuries to pitchers, in the BROAD picture, are not random. Are you going to continue to dispute that, jackass?

-Slap-
04-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Dumbass. Pitchers get hurt frequently. You can throw out any half a dozen names and eventually most of those guys will have some kind of shoulder or elbow operation.

Mark Prior was a hulk with perfect mechanics and your hero Dusty Baker ruined him in a season and a half.

Clockwork Orange
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Rich Hill tossing yet another gem.

8 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 7 K's

Smelvin
04-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Dumbass. Pitchers get hurt frequently. You can throw out any half a dozen names and eventually most of those guys will have some kind of shoulder or elbow operation.

Mark Prior was a hulk with perfect mechanics and your hero Dusty Baker ruined him in a season and a half.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Unit is one of them. Without a doubt. He is a freak of nature in more ways than one.

It all comes down to the delivery and where the elbow is at during release point and the position of the fingers on the baseball... there is much more to it, but yes, generally pitchers with power arms that throw sliders generally put much more torque on their elbows as they throw the slider sometimes even harder (arm effort) than the fastball... and when they do that, they break down the delivery a bit... Guys with curveballs generally stay in line to the plate at full extension where slider guys often cut across their body as they release the slider... or they flip their wrist over, exposing the UCL area.

My point all along has been that you CAN, to a certain degree, predict injuries among pitchers. Of course there are exceptions, but since you're such a fantasy expert, and you know everything, I would expect you to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

-Slap-
04-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree that certain pitchers are at greater risk and I have always agreed on that point. I just wish you would understand that not every player is going to be able to perform with perfect mechanics and not every pitcher is blessed with a perfect build for pitching. Its not like most guys have such a diverse aresenal, or such God given velocity, they can decide not to throw certain pitches. You throw what gets batters out and what gets you to the Majors.

At first glance, Pedro doesn't look much like a Major League starter at 5'11", 185 pounds. So convinced was Tommy Lasorda that Pedro would wear down, he dealt him straight up for Delino DeShields. Of course, Pedro has been very durable. His gifts as a pitcher are not as readily apparent as Mark Prior's cannonball calves, but Pedro's lithe build and long, supple fingers enabled him to master any pitch he wanted. His compact physique enabled him to bring electric stuff from the stretch with just a slide step.

And the bottom line is there are two kinds of pitchers: the kind who've been injured and the kind who are going to be injured.

So, I'm done with this circular argument. Felix is injured. Congratulations.

Crowpointer
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Walking up to my Downtown office building this morning I recognized that familiar foul stench in the air. The f@ckin Yankees are in town._i_O_i_

Smelvin
04-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree that certain pitchers are at greater risk and I have always agreed on that point. I just wish you would understand that not every player is going to be able to perform with perfect mechanics and not every pitcher is blessed with a perfect build for pitching. Its not like most guys have such a diverse aresenal, or such God given velocity, they can decide not to throw certain pitches. You throw what gets batters out and what gets you to the Majors.

At first glance, Pedro doesn't look much like a Major League starter at 5'11", 185 pounds. So convinced was Tommy Lasorda that Pedro would wear down, he dealt him straight up for Delino DeShields. Of course, Pedro has been very durable. His gifts as a pitcher are not as readily apparent as Mark Prior's cannonball calves, but Pedro's lithe build and long, supple fingers enabled him to master any pitch he wanted. His compact physique enabled him to bring electric stuff from the stretch with just a slide step.

And the bottom line is there are two kinds of pitchers: the kind who've been injured and the kind who are going to be injured.

So, I'm done with this circular argument. Felix is injured. Congratulations.

My point EXACTLY. Finally you drop the name calling routine and actually engage as a somewhat rational human being.

And the entire purpose of this discussion is I was trying to tell you (and others) that if you do your due diligence you can avoid drafting the higher injury risks in your fantasy draft. Nothing kills a fantasy team quicker than injuries. Nothing. With that said, it simply doesn't make sense (IMO) to load up on uber-talented SP that also carry injury risks, especially in keeper leagues.

Crowpointer
04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
If Big Papi has a bad night at the plate he can blame it on the Book signing he is doing today. I stumbled on it a lunchtime at Barnes and Nobles. He is going to have some serious writers cramp with the line that went back and forth out in front of the store.

Clockwork Orange
04-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Did anyone else see the ESPN commerical with David Ortiz & Jorge Posada? Ortiz & Posada are sitting there with some jabroni from Sportscenter. Posada pulls out a new Yankees cap he just got, Ortiz and the other guy remark about how new it looks. Ortiz then tells him that he needs to break it in, so he starts bending the bill and then (in a move that must have caused projectile vomiting from many a Red Sox fan) put the cap on his own head. The Red Sox mascot comes walking by as Ortiz is sitting there with a Yankees cap on and drops everything he's carrying in shock. Ortiz stands up and says, "It's not what you think!"

Funny stuff. :)

OrangeShadow
04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Did anyone else see the ESPN commerical with David Ortiz & Jorge Posada? Ortiz & Posada are sitting there with some jabroni from Sportscenter. Posada pulls out a new Yankees cap he just got, Ortiz and the other guy remark about how new it looks. Ortiz then tells him that he needs to break it in, so he starts bending the bill and then (in a move that must have caused projectile vomiting from many a Red Sox fan) put the cap on his own head. The Red Sox mascot comes walking by as Ortiz is sitting there with a Yankees cap on and drops everything he's carrying in shock. Ortiz stands up and says, "It's not what you think!"

Funny stuff. :)

Yeah they had a behind the scenes thin on NESN last week. The commecial is hillarious.

Sox Yanks this weekend,doesnt get any better then this i cant wait!!

B-Love
04-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Yankees-Red Sox, Mets-Braves, Cubs-Cardinals and White Sox-Tigers all this weekend.

All good.

Hogan11
04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Aw well, at least the Buccos are not in the cellar....yet anyways :(

B-Love
04-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Hogan, your Bucco avatar logo looks like Alzado.

Hogan11
04-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Hogan, your Bucco avatar logo looks like Alzado.

..and so it does. Ha! Never really noticed that before..

Taco John
04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Is it just me, or are BoSox/Yankees games really the only thing in sports that compares with Broncos/Raiders games

Rock Chalk
04-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Is it just me, or are BoSox/Yankees games really the only thing in sports that compares with Broncos/Raiders games

Its just you.

Because Duke/UNC games compare.

OSU/Michigan games compare.

And, while few non 'Stros fans would agree: Astros/Cardinal games compare.

Clockwork Orange
04-20-2007, 03:51 PM

Ever since the Avalanche/Red Wings rivalry petered out, pretty much.

sixtimeseight
04-20-2007, 05:02 PM

http://www.tcoletribalrugs.com/resources/BASEBALL/Pujols-Lidge.jpg

Clockwork Orange
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Lidge has had that same facial expression on the mound just about every time since that Ruthian shot by Pujols.

Taco John
04-20-2007, 06:35 PM

LOL

Albert Pujols looks like such a caveman in that photo!

Taco John
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM

LOL

Dude, just shut up...

WABronco
04-20-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm actually pumped to watch Seattle tonight.

Jose Guillen vs. Entire city of Anahiem! ROCK ON!

elsid13
04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040724/040724_soxyankeesfight_vlrg.widec.jpgGame time - Schilling has that look tonight. Looking for Tek to beat that pansy AROD again

WABronco
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Seattle's going to start last year's no. 1 pick, Brandon Morrow, next Monday against Texas.

Brilliant prospect development. Hope he doesn't implode.

Pendejo
04-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Seattle's going to start last year's no. 1 pick, Brandon Morrow, next Monday against Texas.

Brilliant prospect development. Hope he doesn't implode.

If the prospect is healthy I'm all for giving them shots at the bigs...especially if they're on the cusp. You can always send them back down for a bit if they falter. My feeling is if their psyche gets severely damaged after a bad debut...then they might not have what it takes anyway. Any pitcher is going to get shelled occasionally.

OrangeShadow
04-20-2007, 09:11 PM
****in a-rod :cuss:

elsid13
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Tek 2 Run Hr.

-Slap-
04-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Another bomb by ARod and he almost killed Coco Crisp in the process.

rbackfactory80
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
The only thing stopping A-Rod is his head. Watching this guy this year is insane.

WABronco
04-20-2007, 10:15 PM
If the prospect is healthy I'm all for giving them shots at the bigs...especially if they're on the cusp. You can always send them back down for a bit if they falter. My feeling is if their psyche gets severely damaged after a bad debut...then they might not have what it takes anyway. Any pitcher is going to get shelled occasionally.

Well, I'm for him starting, as opposed to rotting in the bullpen. I'm just more afraid of the "bust" than I am of the potential "boom" (which would be nice, because, you know, Jeff Weaver sucks).

Bavasi's been rushing our prospects. Adam Jones (SD product) was a K-machine in AAA after being rushed, as was Jeff Clement ('05 no. 1 pick).

Mark Lowe was the 2nd best arm in the pen after making the jump from high A last year...I pray Morrow can have similar success.

RhymesayersDU
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
This has been a pretty exciting Yanks/Sox game.

For as good as A-Rod has played, I really wonder what the response will be after he came up short in the 9th inning, against Boston, and the Yanks down 1.

I mean, he's played fantastic, but New York sports fans aren't necessarily rational.

Clockwork Orange
04-20-2007, 11:37 PM
For as good as A-Rod has played, I really wonder what the response will be after he came up short in the 9th inning, against Boston, and the Yanks down 1.

I mean, he's played fantastic, but New York sports fans aren't necessarily rational.

Sadly enough they'd rip him for it while ignoring the fact that Derek Jeter led off that inning with a weak grounder to 2nd.

A-Rod's line for the night:

3-5, 2 HR, 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R

I can see why they'd bash that guy. What a suckhole.

WABronco
04-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Guillen crushes a double in his first AB! KEEP HATIN' ANAHIEM!

Clockwork Orange
04-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Brad Lidge with yet another rough go of it tonight. Gave up a three run bomb to Prince Fielder.

That guy needs a fresh start somewhere else.

B-Love
04-21-2007, 02:00 AM
The John Danks (and others) for Brandon McCarthy deal between the Sox and Rangers, which had Pale Hose fans ready to throw Kenny Williams unders the bus, looks favorable for the Sox so far.

McCarthy just ****ing bombed again tonight. Brandon just serves up gophers and leaves his junk too high in the strike zone.

Danks has been good in all 3 starts so far, and his mediocre stats line tonight is because Uribe had a brain fart on simple pop fly.

Lots of calendar left, but it's hard to believe many scouts had McCarthy rated over Liriano, based on the way it appears.

Clockwork Orange
04-21-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm ready to fire up the "Trade Todd Helton for his own good" bandwagon again.

This Rockies team is dreadful and he isn't getting any younger. Move him now while he's still productive and can help a contending team.

TheChamp24
04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm with you Clockwork, because I want to see him go to a winning team and have a shot at a Championship, he deserves it.
This team is pathetic, I thought it would be better than this. I mean, 5 games where you have zero extra base hits? Thats almost 1/3 of their games! Not to mention the string of games they had going on with less than 5 runs scored.
I feel sorry for anybody who has a Rockie hitter for fantasy baseball. Taveras has sucked beyond belief so far, Atkins has been almost nonexistent, Helton is ripping the ball with nobody on base, Holliday hasn't done much, Hawpe has had like 1 or 2 good games, and Baker's in a huge slump since starting 7-10. I bet Taveras and Atkins are pissing people off the most.

-Slap-
04-21-2007, 10:35 AM
The John Danks (and others) for Brandon McCarthy deal between the Sox and Rangers, which had Pale Hose fans ready to throw Kenny Williams unders the bus, looks favorable for the Sox so far.

McCarthy just ****ing bombed again tonight. Brandon just serves up gophers and leaves his junk too high in the strike zone.

Danks has been good in all 3 starts so far, and his mediocre stats line tonight is because Uribe had a brain fart on simple pop fly.

Lots of calendar left, but it's hard to believe many scouts had McCarthy rated over Liriano, based on the way it appears.

They couldn't have sent McCarthy to a less favorable home park. If he finishes the year with an ERA under 5.00, I'll be shocked.

Drek
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM

There's more to it than that. You don't learn and refine your game at the MLB level, you produce or get shelled.

What if he has a few control issues? He won't be working them out in the show. If he has #1 stuff but the control problems make him produce like a #4 then he'll wind up being a #4 most, if not all, of his career.

What if his only good pitch is his fastball? You can't start in the bigs with just one pitch, and its not easy to learn and experiment with another pitching to the top level.

Thats just from the player perspective, the most important reason you don't rush guys is from a franchise perspective. Players need to accumulate six years of MLB service time before they're FAs and a new draft pick doesn't start using options until he's been in the system for three or four years. By developing players in the minors and bringing them up when they're truly MLB ready you get your first six years of service time during a guy's peak, not when he's still developing and then you get to watch him walk or shell out big money when he's just starting to reach his full potential.

Jeremy Bonderman is a great example of this. He's currently a #2/#3 starter that just got a four year, $38M deal two years away from FA. He's 24. No imagine if the Tigers had held off on rushing him and brought him up say, two years ago when he would've been better developed. He'd likely have been just as productive the past two years if not more so and they would still be a season away from arbitration, four from free agency. Instead they're now paying him like a legitimate #2 or #3 starter instead of having him playing for peanuts.

Jon Papelbon is 26, last year was his first year of MLB service time. That means the Red Sox have him making less than $1M this year and next, then in '09 he finally gets to see arbitration which won't award him a salary equal to what he really is, a top tier closer. Then they control him in that fashion for the '09-'11 seasons. He's a price controlled Sox' property until he's 31 and he's filthy good.

Financially savvy teams don't rush prospects to be a few wins better this year, they take their lumps, develop their guys, and get the most out of the investment. It frees up more of the budget to pursue other needed pieces as opposed to rush job prospects and patch work veterans making up the 25 man roster.

A lot of people don't realize this but the Red Sox are still working to rebuild a farm system that the previous ownership/management stripped bare. Thats the primary reason they've been signing high priced FAs. Imagine what they'll look like when half the starters are home grown talents making a 10th of what they're really worth and the rest of the enormous budget can be invested in only the creme de la creme of FAs. For example, does anyone doubt that Manny's contract expiring after '08, the same year Miguel Cabrera reaches FA, isn't going to have a direct relationship on the Red Sox future?

Great win by the Sox last night too, loved watching them pound Rivera. It was especially rewarding to see that despite the 6-2 lead Torre went to his 'pen before Tito, working three of his most reliable arms in a loss with two no name rookies facing Beckett and Matsuzaka today and tommorow.

Clockwork Orange
04-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Nick Markakis is really finding a groove. Kid got off to a slow start, but he's looking pretty locked in lately.

The Orioles have won 7 of 8, also.

-Slap-
04-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Nick Markakis is really finding a groove. Kid got off to a slow start, but he's looking pretty locked in lately.

The Orioles have won 7 of 8, also.

I guarantee Markakis will contend for batting titles some day.

Roy Oswalt is so underrated. In five of six seasons in the Majors, he's finished no worse than 4th in Cy Young balloting. Roy's getting outpitched by Dave Bush today, though. Bush is spinning a two hit masterpiece.

Clockwork Orange
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Whoever thought we'd see the day that the Rockies would be dead last in baseball in home runs? Yet here we are, about three weeks into the season and the Rox have hit a total of 7 home runs.

Matt Holliday constantly pounding the ball into the ground these days isn't helping.

Clockwork Orange
04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Jason Hirsh turns in another strong start.

7 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 7 K's

Showed some good composure, too. He gave up a home run to Khalil Greene leading off the 7th inning and then struck out the next three. Good show.

Of course, right after I say something, Matt Holliday is sitting a HR away from the cycle. Figures.

Clockwork Orange
04-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Whoever had today in the when will Eric Gagne get injured again pool, come collect your prize.

Pendejo
04-22-2007, 08:15 PM
I guarantee Markakis will contend for batting titles some day.

Roy Oswalt is so underrated. In five of six seasons in the Majors, he's finished no worse than 4th in Cy Young balloting. Roy's getting outpitched by Dave Bush today, though. Bush is spinning a two hit masterpiece.

Oswalt is one of my favorite pitchers to watch. I think it was last year against the Madres he was consistently hitting 95 mph plus with his fast ball...then breaking guy's knees with a huge hook in the upper 60's. It simply wasn't fair.

It looks like Hirsh is taking Jennings' spot as the Rockies' resident Madres killer.

TheChamp24
04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I have always liked Oswalt, it amazes me how he doesn't get talked about that much though. I think since he entered the bigs he has the 2nd most wins in baseball, which is amazing because you rarely hear his name being mentioned anytime they talk about big time pitchers.

As well, Hirsh looks like a pitcher who could become a very good one. His changeup is almost Maddux-esque of when he was in his prime. Speaking of Maddux, he should retire. Dude has lost velocity and is losing command of his pitches, hence him getting rocked these last couple of years.

And also, it is great to see Atkins and Holliday crushing the ball again, as well as Helton. Each almost got a dinger today in the game.

SouthStndJunkie
04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Went to the White Sox/Tigers game today.

Marcus Thames went yard with 2 outs in the 9th to tie the game.

Polanco drove home the winning run in the 12th. He is an underrated player in my book and is off to a red hot start.

Fun game to be at and a beautiful day.

Taco John
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Whoever had today in the when will Eric Gagne get injured again pool, come collect your prize.

It aint me. I had him going down about two weeks ago...

Taco John
04-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Matt Cain got a nice win today... He didn't leave anything to chance. Stayed out all nine to ensure that the bullpen didn't screw it up.

PatsWin2002
04-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Red Sox just hit back to back to back to back homers.....4 in a row..all solo shots to go up on the Yanks 4-3!

Manny, JD Drew, Mike Lowell, Varitek .......

elsid13
04-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Red Sox hit 4 HRs in row - WOOW. All measurable shots.

TheChamp24
04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Matt Cain got a nice win today... He didn't leave anything to chance. Stayed out all nine to ensure that the bullpen didn't screw it up.

Its funny how this kid should probably be 4-0 right now yet is only 1-1. In 29 innings pitched now in 4 starts, given up only 11 hits, 13 walks, 5 runs while striking out 21. The only bummer is that he gets wild sometimes, but I guess it doesn't matter much when you are unhittable. His BAA is freakin .117! If he starts getting some run support, say hello to a Cy Young.

Clockwork Orange
04-23-2007, 12:26 AM
With the current state of the Yankees starting staff, how long before they make a full court press for Roger Clemens?

Taco John
04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm so glad that I watched that game tonight. I could watch MLB baseball for 50 years, and I'm probably never going to see 4 home runs in a row again.

Natedog24
04-23-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm so glad that I watched that game tonight. I could watch MLB baseball for 50 years, and I'm probably never going to see 4 home runs in a row again.

Meh, thats the second 4 consecutive HR game that I've seen in two years :thanku:

But no your right, they are a once in a very long time sort of thing. Interesting fact though, JD Drew now has now hit homers in two separate sets of 4 consecutive HR's.

PatsWin2002
04-23-2007, 02:33 AM
With the current state of the Yankees starting staff, how long before they make a full court press for Roger Clemens?

Andy Pettite is the main allure to NY at this point for Clemens. He could come to Boston and finish where he started and win one here.

I still think he'll pitch for the Astros first, but the fact remains that he could tilt the biggest rivalry in sports one way or the other - and that scares me. And it should scare Yankees fans too, but they're too arrogant to understand it. :)

SouthStndJunkie
04-23-2007, 02:45 AM
The Yankees had a home run train run on them.

Ramirez had firsts.

Drew had sloppy seconds.

Lowell had thorough thirds.

Varitek had filthy fourths.

Vegas_Bronco
04-23-2007, 02:48 AM
Watching Pujos spank the Cubs today was better than any 4 hr game I've ever seen. Of course, I must say that the Martin grand slam was not too bad last night. My too favs doing it the right way - Go Dodgers and Redbirds!!! I typically hate both the Sox and the Yanks but it was tooo sweet to see them get the sweep - watching Jeter's face after that 9th inning strike out was just priceless!!! Get the hell out of Boston!!!

Clockwork Orange
04-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Apparently Eric Gagne's latest injury is a pulled muscle in his bulbous ass.

Clockwork Orange
04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
A-Rod with another bomb, putting him just one away from Pujols' record for home runs in April.

OrangeShadow
04-23-2007, 08:48 PM
another save for the pope, his pitch sequence to jeter: 98MPH,99,98 and 99 BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Mark Prior will have exploratory surgery on his pitching shoulder tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2847076

-Slap-
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
So, running the kid out there for 234 innings, at the age of 22, (and leaving him in until he had nothing left several times) was a bad idea then?

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8409/dustybaker5lx8.jpg

sixtimeseight
04-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Couldn't have happened to a bigger piece of **** franchise. Enjoy another losing season, Cubbies.

Clockwork Orange
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Move over Albert, you've got company. A-Rod hits his 2nd of the night and #14 of the month to tie the Major League record for homers in April.

Simply unbelievable. Is it too early to start talking about A-Rod possibly legitimizing the single season home run record?