PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Has the winning run touched home plate yet?

Atwater His Ass
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM

safe is safe no matter how you cut it.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 12:01 PM
safe is safe no matter how you cut it.

Well, technically he was out!

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Technically he was safe..... the Ump called him safe and he had the best view. It is what is is!!! So in other words....STFU:welcome:

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Technically he was safe..... the Ump called him safe and he had the best view. It is what is is!!! So in other words....STFU:welcome:

No, TECHNICALLY, he was out. We only know that because we saw all the replays.

I'm not blaming the ump....or even care who won/lost.....just saying he got that one wrong. The only time you see a delay like that is when he's ready to call the player out after the catcher tags the runner post-collision.

I was also intrigued by that non-homerun call in the 6th. At first I was sure the Rockies got hosed, but on review, I'm not so sure.

I haven't seen a game like that since Seattle knocked out the Yanks in 1995.

Atwater His Ass
10-02-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm not blaming the ump....or even care who won/lost.....just saying he got that one wrong. The only time you see a delay like that is when he's ready to call the player out after the catcher tags the runner post-collision.

I was also intrigued by that non-homerun call in the 6th. At first I was sure the Rockies got hosed, but on review, I'm not so sure.

No, technically he was safe and that's all that matters.

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, Francis has struggled against the Phills this year. I'm thinking Jimenez and Morales are x-factors for the Rox in this series.

I totally agree. If both pitch the way they have been pitching and they get run support.....it could be lights out for the Phillies. They can't wait to throw out Hamels and Kendrick against us. IMO they don't wanna face either Jimenez or Morales......those 2 kids are the real deal! Now we just need Francis to win game 1 for us. GO ROCKIES~!!!!:strong:

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Since Helton got his hand stepped on by the catcher's cleats, he must have gotten under the foot and touched the plate. Mott point. Go Rocks

bronco_diesel
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
technically there was a HR by the rockies in the 8th

bronco_diesel
10-02-2007, 12:17 PM

what angle were you watching? from all the replays viewed, it was hard to conclude if he touched or not. it appeared the plate was blocked, but there was no angle in the reviews that was conclusive he did not touch it.

the two guys with the best view called it good. the umpire and bud black.

i am not sure he got it, but to say he didn't as fact - well, you must have more footage to view.

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 12:17 PM

So let me get this straight? he was TECHNICALLY out...but you aren't blaming the ump? LOL ROFL! :spit: Anyways....the UMP had a hell of alot better angle that you and that turd in your pocket you call WE. And the Atkins hit was a homer I don't give a frick what you say. And for somebody that could care less who won/lost....you sure are running your mouth alot! Good luck against the Angels...you are gonna need it!

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 12:19 PM

A) Technically, you can't know that. Technically, there's no camera that can see through a pile of dirt. And trust me, I've seen every replay there is, and there's nothing that would allow it to be overturned, if baseball had a replay policy similar to the NFL. So technically, unless you have super-human x-ray dirt-in-the-air resistant eyes, then technically, you are talking out your ass.

B) The play at the plate was almost as clear as Garrett Atkins' home run in the 7th. That appeared to be a home run, but was called a double. Garrett Atkins was stranded at 2nd. So, you count that home run, and there's a big black X in the Rockies half of the 9th. Then, we're not talking about home plate, dirt, and bloody chins.

It's cute, though, that you're still trying to deflect attention from your city's deliberately cheating football team and coach.

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Right, he makes that delay to see if the catcher holds onto the ball. If he does, the runner is out. In this case, he didn't. As soon as the ump saw that, he called him safe. He wasn't waiting to determined if the runner touched the plate.

bronco militia
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

WTF? how would you know?? you were too busy watching your Cheats kill the Bungholes.

anyway, that was clearly a HR....the ricochet itself should have tipped off the clueless umpires

Atwater His Ass
10-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Since Helton got his hand stepped on by the catcher's cleats, he must have gotten under the foot and touched the plate. Mott point. Go Rocks

It was Holliday, just for the record.

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a question, PW. When did you become a troll? It seems you have been moving that direction since your favorite team was caught cheating. I hope you're not blaming anyone here that they were caught cheating; because I assure you, we had nothing to do with it. You're bitterness seems misplaced. You should be mad at the coach that tarnished your team's three Lombardi Trophies.

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Right, he makes that delay to see if the catcher holds onto the ball. If he does, the runner is out. In this case, he didn't. As soon as the ump saw that, he called him safe. He wasn't waiting to determined if the runner touched the plate.

Exactly!!!! That is the only reason for him to delay the call....was to see if Barrett hung onto the ball because Barrett's body was blocking his view until he saw the ball loose and Barrett going after it......then he called Holliday SAFE. End of story. Bring on the Phillies~!!!

Master___Pain
10-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Two things on the safe call at homeplate last night

1. A player not possessing the ball can not block the plate. For doing so, Barrett should have had a dead ball called. Holliday would have then been able to, at his leisure, go touch homeplate, assuming he missed it in the first place.

When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal "Obstruction."
If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batterrunner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.
Rule 7.06(a) Comment: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall signal obstruction in the same manner that he calls “Time,” with both hands overhead. The ball is immediately dead when this signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight before the obstruction is called by the umpire, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not obstruction occurred. On a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes into the dugout the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base in this situation would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before obstruction was called.
(b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.
Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.
NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

2. BARRET NEVER EVEN TAGGED HOLLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgive me if I am wrong, but doesn't a runner need to be tagged to be out?!?!

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 01:09 PM

I haven't seen a game like that since Seattle knocked out the Yanks in 1995.Uh no, he was safe "technically". Some question to whether he actually got his hand on the plate or not but there was no question we were killing Hoffman and would have scored another run anyway with runners on 2 and third with with one out if they had called Holliday out.

I was ready to give Holliday the goat of the game award though, he was horrendous in his previous 3 at bats (3 straight SOs) and misplaying the fly ball in the eight to let home the tying run.

24champ
10-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Wow you know how to get em riled up dont you?Hilarious!

Master___Pain
10-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Uh no, he was safe "technically". Some question to whether he actually got his hand on the plate or not but there was no question we were killing Hoffman and would have scored another run anyway with runners on 2 and third with with one out if they had called Holliday out.

Just to clarify here Slug. There would have been two outs (Carroll fly out and Holliday being called out at home.) And I'm pretty sure Helton was have been the lone baserunner.

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Just to clarify here Slug. There would have been two outs (Carroll fly out and Holliday being called out at home.) And I'm pretty sure Helton was have been the lone baserunner.Yep, you're right, I lost track (forgot it was a fly out) in all the excitement :) And the catcher has a right to block the plate also whether he catches the ball or not as long as he's trying to field it.

defenseman
10-02-2007, 01:47 PM

The catcher never tagged him, theoretically speaking, it's still up in the air..dman

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 01:54 PM
The catcher never tagged him, theoretically speaking, it's still up in the air..dman

Yes he did! After he picked up the ball.

What was weird was the ump was delaying his call...as if waiting for the delayed tag...knowing the play was still live cuz home plate wasn't touched....and the tag is made and THEN he is called safe. ???

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 01:55 PM

What was weird was the ump was delaying his call...as if waiting for the delayed tag...knowing the play was still live cuz home plate wasn't touched....and the tag is made and THEN he is called safe. ???He only delayed it long enough to see if the catcher had the ball and as soon as seen he didn't he gave the safe sign.

defenseman
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM

What was weird was the ump was delaying his call...as if waiting for the delayed tag...knowing the play was still live cuz home plate wasn't touched....and the tag is made and THEN he is called safe. ???

I don't recall that to be honest, I'll catch a replay here or there and take a look when I'm drinking a tall cold pint of beer toasting the rockies WIN..dman

Paladin
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
So What? The Rockies are in Philli and the Pads are at home and the Patsies are in h3ll.....This guy is just being a snot, and as mentioned still stinging from the sh()t that went down on the Poor, poor Boston Cheaters....

I am just gonna laugh until the next game.

Fug you, pats lackey.....

BMF Bronco
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
always has to be a mufugga who tries to piss on the parade!

Paladin
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Especially when she/he/it is jealous......

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I thought you didn't care, the rockies won......get over it and move along. Don't you guys have to go spy on somebody?:welcome:

sixtimeseight
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Don't you have an Angels message board to troll or something?

Go away.

BMF Bronco
10-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Like I said, it's out of fear, we have winning records against every playoff team, save for the Cubbies. We swept the yanks, took 2 of 3 from the sox, 4-3 against the phills, and have the season series against the Dbacks. Haven't played the Angels or the Injuns yet.

Rohirrim
10-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I'll repost this for this troll's benefit:

You're wrong. He touched it. The two angles they have don't show it. On the angle down the baseline you can see his hand hitting Barret's shoe and driving toward the edge of the plate, then you lose it in the dust. On the side angle, you can see Holliday's hand drove Barrett's foot back across the plate but you can't see his hand because his body is blocking it. Put the two angles together and there's no way he didn't touch the plate.

What was clear is that Barret's foot got pushed back across the plate. Some force moved it back across that plate. Through the dust, it can't be seen, but a reasonable person would have to assume that that force was Holliday's hand.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I have a question, PW. When did you become a troll? It seems you have been moving that direction since your favorite team was caught cheating. I hope you're not blaming anyone here that they were caught cheating; because I assure you, we had nothing to do with it. You're bitterness seems misplaced. You should be mad at the coach that tarnished your team's three Lombardi Trophies.

I was gonna ask you the same thing. I don't ever remember you being this caustic towards me...or anyone for that matter.

Regarding the Rockies, I was just being objective as someone that loves baseball and nothing invested in the outcome.

That double that may have been a HR.....has any more come out about that? Initially they were saying it might have hit a seat and bounced back to the field. After the game they showed it did not, but did hit the yellow mark atop the fence. So, is the yellow a HR or not? My guess is no and that they got the call right.

The play at home was just weird. OK, so you couldn't see through the pile of dirt to see if he touched or not. Fine. But the videos we all saw afterward in slo-mo would lead you to think it was a slim chance....and couple that with a safe call that is normally OUT when delayed....well, just odd.

And cameragate? Jeez, get over it already.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Are you serious? I thought I was way past being treated like a noob.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Don't you have an Angels message board to troll or something?

Go away.

You're a gem. Don't ever change.

Crowpointer
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Are you serious? I thought I was way past being treated like a noob.

I never thought I'd see the day you were called a a a TROLLLLLLLL!!!!! Very funny stuff. I still love you. BB still loves you.

Master___Pain
10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Yep, you're right, I lost track (forgot it was a fly out) in all the excitement :) And the catcher has a right to block the plate also whether he catches the ball or not as long as he's trying to field it.

NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

I don't think he ever had possession. ;D

And patswin, Barrett never tagged Holliday. He approached him but never touched/tagged him.

Paladin
10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's the day:

He's a Fugging troll, same as you.....

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:26 PM

And patswin, Barrett never tagged Holliday. He approached him but never touched/tagged him.

I think he did tag him, just as any catcher's reaction would be to.

As for that rule you posted....he was fielding a ball....so he had a right to be there.

sixtimeseight
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Jeez, get over it already.

My thoughts exactly regarding your cancerous presence on this thread. If I were you, I'd be more worried about those *s next to your Super Bowl wins and less worried about whether or not Holliday touched home plate.

Like I said, go away, nobody wants you here.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
This piece states what I was trying to say before. If I quote someone else maybe I won't draw as much fire. ROFL!

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ordine/blog/2007/10/i_found_myself_watching_the.html

Phantom run? We'll never know
I found myself watching the end of the San Diego-Colorado one-game playoff to determine the National League wild card last night and saw the controversial play at the plate on which the Rockies' Matt Holliday may or may not have touched home to score the game-winner in Colorado's 9-8 victory.

If you haven't seen it, Colorado came back from two down in bottom of the 13th to tie the game, 8-8, after Holliday's triple off San Diego's ace reliever, Trevor Hoffman. Hoffman intentionally walked the next batter and pitched to Jamey Carroll, who hit a short fly to right-fielder Brian Giles. Giles' throw was online and catcher Michael Barrett did an excellent job of blocking the plate but failed to cleanly field the ball and make the tag.

But Holliday's head-first slide (left) took him far to the dugout side of the plate and his left hand, reaching for the plate, appeared to be blocked by Barrett's left foot. While Holliday was still prone, dazed and bleeding from his one-point landing, Barrett retrieved the ball and tagged him.

All this time, home plate umpire Tim McClelland had not made any signal.

When Barrett did make the tag, McClelland casually gave the "safe" sign. Obviously, that was weird. If Holliday had caught the plate to begin with, why didn't McClelland make the call as soon as the ball eluded Barrett?

Surprisingly, the Padres did not protest. Of course, what good would it have done?

So, the play at the plate raises the question of instant replay in baseball yet again. Two problems with that as it applies to last night's game. For one thing, tag plays are usually not part of the discussion when it comes to instant replay in baseball. The plays most often mentioned for instant replay are fair-or-foul and whether a deep drive leaves the park or stays in play. Second, several camera angles failed to show conclusively whether Holliday has yet to touch home plate.

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM

And patswin, Barrett never tagged Holliday. He approached him but never touched/tagged him.He was fielding it just didn't do a very good job. :)

Stormontheplains
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I think he did tag him, just as any catcher's reaction would be to.

As for that rule you posted....he was fielding a ball....so he had a right to be there.

He did not have the ball, hence a rule violation, he never tagged holiday, he never caught the ball and the ump show safe before he could tag, and by the way espn reviewed the home run, and it hit the plastic barrier behing the yellow so it should have been ruled a home run.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
My thoughts exactly regarding your cancerous presence on this thread. If I were you, I'd be more worried about those *s next to your Super Bowl wins and less worried about whether or not Holliday touched home plate.

Like I said, go away, nobody wants you here.

I've been posting on this thread all year. Why should today be any different?

Nobody wants me here? Gee, I'd love to see a vote on that. Me vs. you.

Crowpointer
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM

You have to excuse him . He is mistrustful of umpires calls after years of Gems like this one in the 1999 playoffs versus Yanks. BTW they called Offerman out on this non tag .

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
. While Holliday was still prone, dazed and bleeding from his one-point landing, Barrett retrieved the ball and tagged him.
All this time, home plate umpire Tim McClelland had not made any signal.
When Barrett did make the tag, McClelland casually gave the "safe" sign. This is all BS!!! Watch the video again to see that as soon as the ump sees the ball dropped and BEFORE Barrett got it again and tagged Holliday he makes the safe call. Don't bring no BS blog crap here!

BMF Bronco
10-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Regardless, Rox at Phills, 12.30 tomorrow!

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
He did not have the ball, hence a rule violation, he never tagged holiday, he never caught the ball and the ump show safe before he could tag, and by the way espn reviewed the home run, and it hit the plastic barrier behing the yellow so it should have been ruled a home run.

You're saying there is a plastic barrier behind the yellow and it cleared the yellow altogether. I'm going by what I saw last night as well as today's comments like this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/10/01/bc.bbn.padres.rockies.ap/index.html

Notes: The Rockies thought Garrett Atkins homered in the seventh, but umpire Tim Tschida ruled it hit the yellow railing and bounced back. ... Crew chief Ed Montague told The Associated Press all six umpires agreed "it hit the yellow pad and came back. The yellow pad was in play. (Hurdle) said it was over. But we looked at that and there's no way it went over."

sixtimeseight
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a question, PW. When did you become a troll?

always has to be a mufugga who tries to piss on the parade!

Especially when she/he/it is jealous......

I thought you didn't care, the rockies won......get over it and move along. Don't you guys have to go spy on somebody?:welcome:

I'll repost this for this troll's benefit:

Here's the day:

He's a Fugging troll, same as you.....

The votes are in.... and you lose.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, champ.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:44 PM
You have to excuse him . He is mistrustful of umpires calls after years of Gems like this one in the 1999 playoffs versus Yanks. BTW they called Offerman out on this non tag .

You speak the truth! I had that conversation last night with a friend because Tim Tschida was umpiring the game. He, and I think Rick Reed, are the ones who hosed the Sox in '99.

In 2004, they got together and got stuff right....Bellhorn's homer, A-Rod's slap of the ball, etc. In year's past it was just more crap that went the Yanks way.

I wonder why they didn't have a more cameras for issues like the HR/double last night. Probably wouldn't have helped at home, though.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Ha! Sure, a handful of people in this thread. Put it to the masses......you'd get crushed and you know it (unless you really have NO clue).

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Here it is Rockies fans, the video of the 13th inning for the Rockies!! (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w_id=603363&w=mms%3A//a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/tp/archive10/100107_sdncol_carroll_wo_sac_fly_tp_350.wmv&pid=false&vid=7758&mid=200710022245406&cid=mlb&fid=400&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&mUrl=&type=v_free&_mp=1) (click on Rockies 13th inning rally on right for all four at bats)

Notice that the ump CLEARLY calls Holliday safe before Barrett tries to tag him out after losing the ball.

sixtimeseight
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Ha! Sure, a handful of people in this thread. Put it to the masses......you'd get crushed and you know it (unless you really have NO clue).

Number of people accusing me of trolling this thread:0

Number of people accusing you of trolling this thread: a lot

Next.

Crowpointer
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM

He's spotted you Patswin

sixtimeseight
10-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Notice that the ump CLEARLY calls Holliday safe before Barrett tries to tag him out after losing the ball.

Yea, that was obvious to everybody except one certain troll on this thread. And whatever moronic journalist wrote that piece that "backed him up."

Bronco LB 59
10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm a Padres fan and I give it to the Rockies. They won fair and square.

I don't understand the crying about the call on Atkins' double. Pats Win is correct about this. It was the right call. The yellow top of the outfield fence is "in play". It's a Coors Field ground rule and both managers are aware of this when they take out the lineup cards to the umps prior to the start of the game. If you don't like the call, then write the Rockies and ask them to change their ground rule. It shouldn't be changed anyways. There are already enough cheap dingers there.

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 03:08 PM
End of Rockies/Padres Tie-Breaker

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSubK9RhBUU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSubK9RhBUU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

bronco militia
10-02-2007, 03:23 PM
patswin is always welcome here...he's just wrong about everything

;D

Rohirrim
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Yeah, but I was just joking. ;) Pat's is a lot of things, but he's not a troll. Anyway, to answer Pats post, you can clearly see from the side angle that something drove Barrett's foot back across the plate a good two feet. What was it?

ColoradoBuff
10-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm a Padres fan and I give it to the Rockies. They won fair and square.

I don't understand the crying about the call on Atkins' double. Pats Win is correct about this. It was the right call. The yellow top of the outfield fence is "in play". It's a Coors Field ground rule and both managers are aware of this when they take out the lineup cards to the umps prior to the start of the game. If you don't like the call, then write the Rockies and ask them to change their ground rule. It shouldn't be changed anyways. There are already enough cheap dingers there.

The yellow line of the outfield wall is in play, but I would have to disagree with you......if you watched Hairston's homerun, his hit the top of the yellow line and CARRIED FORWARD over the wall. Now Atkin's ball came back into play somehow, and a ball that hits the yellow badded line does not carry that far back into the field of play....sorry! So why didn't Atkins carry forward like Hairston's??? It's because it hit the a seat/chair/something OVER the wall. It is what it is....should have been a home run, but the still Rockies won!

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 04:25 PM
I was gonna ask you the same thing. I don't ever remember you being this caustic towards me...or anyone for that matter.

I choose my spots.

I am just not a big fan of people, as BMF so eloquently stated, "pissing on a parade." And I do believe you are doing such because of the crap you took (much dished out by yours truly) over the spying thing. And let's face it, there is a BIG difference.

As for getting over it, I was never really on it. I posted early in the process here that I didn't think it was a big deal. What got me going was the way Bellichick handled it - flippantly, like it was much ado about nothing. Whether he thought it was a big deal or not, a lot of other people considered it significant. He owed (owes) an explanation. I'm not sure I would have been hugging him after the Chargers game, if I was a guy like Brady. Brady will forever answer silly questions about that issue, and some people will forever raise their eyebrows whenever the Patriots "dynasty" is brought up. Each one of those questions, indirectly (and unfairly, in my opinion), calls Brady's integrity into question. And one man could have at least greatly mitigated all of that with a simple press conference that would have required him to swallow his stupid pride.

Lastly, making a quick statement intended to inflame ("Has the winning run touched home plate yet?") is what a troll does. I have always liked you, and will likely continue to do so. But when you do as a troll does, you should expect to be called on it.

Paladin
10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Right, Dom. He is, in this instance, a troll. Just a fugging troll. Ugly thing, isn't he?

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but I was just joking. ;) Pat's is a lot of things, but he's not a troll. Anyway, to answer Pats post, you can clearly see from the side angle that something drove Barrett's foot back across the plate a good two feet. What was it?

I disagree. PatsWin is a menace. I'm going to eat his children, if I ever see them.

TheChamp24
10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Atkins "double" went over and hit METAL. No way a ball bounces that FAR BACK into play when it hits the padding. If you watch it clearly, I believe it hits a seat right next to the fat lady and bounces back into play.
The thing that really got me was when it bounced like 20+ yards back into play.

Anyways, whatever, Rockies win!
Francis vs. Hamels. BRING IT OFFENSE!

Rohirrim
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I disagree. PatsWin is a menace. I'm going to eat his children, if I ever see them.

Damn it, you're right! I'm going to kick him in the balls. ROFL!

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM
OK, so we're all good then. :)

Master___Pain
10-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Up yours you chowda loving troll!!!!!!!! Up yours I say!!!!;D

DomCasual
10-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Are you saying you want to have sex with me? Is this like one of those bathroom stall things? Is "OK, so we're all good then" Boston-speak for "You wanna hook up?"

Stop sending me PMs asking me to make out with you!

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Are you saying you want to have sex with me? Is this like one of those bathroom stall things? Is "OK, so we're all good then" Boston-speak for "You wanna hook up?"

Stop sending me PMs asking me to make out with you!

Maybe I was stealing the wrong signals. Hilarious!

broncocalijohn
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Pat is correct on this one. It reminds me of the phantom dropped ball Angels had against them when the home ump called a strike than fist up for out. Yet the runner goes to first thinking ball was dropped. The tag was never applied to the runner Holliday so why did the ump wait so long. To me it seemed the ump figured he missed the plate and was waiting on either a tag out by the catcher or Holliday needing to touch home plate. The delay didnt make since at all. If the catcher held onto it, he was still late on the tag so there was no delay needed if the catcher held on or not. Another stupid action/reaction by the home plate ump.

Bronco_Beerslug
10-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Pat is correct on this one. It reminds me of the phantom dropped ball Angels had against them when the home ump called a strike than fist up for out. Yet the runner goes to first thinking ball was dropped. The tag was never applied to the runner Holliday so why did the ump wait so long. To me it seemed the ump figured he missed the plate and was waiting on either a tag out by the catcher or Holliday needing to touch home plate. The delay didnt make since at all. If the catcher held onto it, he was still late on the tag so there was no delay needed if the catcher held on or not. Another stupid action/reaction by the home plate ump.No he isn't as many have pointed out.

PatsWin2002
10-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I was wrong about the order. Watch the vid.....he is called safe before the late tag. The delayed call just seemed so odd, that's all.

SpringStein
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
If you watched the balls/strikes call, that ump delays all his calls. Many strike calls seemed to be 3-4 seconds delayed.

broncocalijohn
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I was wrong about the order. Watch the vid.....he is called safe before the late tag. The delayed call just seemed so odd, that's all.

that is all i was saying too.

Hotrod
10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
I've supported this team for almost a full week now and then they go and start the playoffs during the middle of the day when I cant watch. BS I say

bamanjam
10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
So very infrequently does a game come along that you just wish time would stop, and you could just stay in that moment. The Nuggets game 5 win over the Supersonics, the Broncos first superbowl, The Avs (and Denvers) first Championship, and now this. I am not saying that this supercedes any of those, but it certainly is why we watch sports and root for those that we love. As sports fans in this area we have been lucky to expereince these sorts of moments. Maybe someday the Eastcoast/westcoast media will give us our just deserts, and realize that there is another unknown timezone out there. What a game...Go Rockies...

bamanjam
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I couldn't agree more about the start time. What a sham...

I've supported this team for almost a full week now and then they go and start the playoffs during the middle of the day when I cant watch. BS I say

Paladin
10-02-2007, 08:13 PM

You still are not humble., Get off the Wagon!

GD bandwagon wannabes........

24champ
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll say one thing to the Rockies fans, the last two teams to finish their seasons on a 14-1 run went on to the World Series. One was the Dodgers in 1965 and they won the World Series in 7 versus the Twins. The second was the Yankees and they went to the World Series in 1960 that series also went 7 games but the Yankees lost. I'm not necessarily sayin....but I am sayin' you know.;D

RhymesayersDU
10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
What time does it start, anyways? Like 1, right?

That is pretty weak, but I'll get to see some of it.

Turf Shaman
10-03-2007, 01:48 AM
GD bandwagon wannabes........

There are not many reasons why any sports team will get strong local support. 1) Tradition -- the team has been around for a long time and had generations raised to be fans. 2) The team is in a one or two sport smaller market. 3) The team is a winner. Name one popular team that doesn't fit into those categories. Until now the Rockies had none of these things going for them. Do you actually think the Rockies should have been getting the support they are getting now through all these years of mediocrity?

A lot of true fans started out as "bandwagon" fans. Some of the people who are starting to catch on to the Rockies will be Rockies fans for life after this. Some won't. Getting all uppity about that is the exact mentality of a teenage girl clique deciding who gets to be popular.

BMF Bronco
10-03-2007, 01:59 AM
There have been a select few on here that have been on this board saying this was in the making for a few years now, Dom being the biggest supporter. However, we are more than happy to welcome all Rox fans, bandwagon or not!

Hogan11
10-03-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm not hopping on any select bandwagon here....but I find it a lot easier to support my league (the NL) this year with all different teams in the post season for a change.

If it's the Rox or someone else....whomever in the NL that can get rid of the same old same old Sox/Yanks/Angels or the semi-new comer Tribe (even though I harbor no real ill will against the Tribe, they're still AL) will have my support.

Paladin
10-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Hotrod is notorious for his shallow and callow "takes" on any sporting event, even - I suspect - Bull riding where he would examine the droppings of the bull and try to make some sort of provocative satement about them. Just think of him as a mullet without the IQ. He does tend to the crude and uncouth verbage usually associated with a demented teenager.... As a Rockies' fan, he fails to meet the first requirement of a poster hereon: He has nothing of value to contribute.

Perhaps it would be better if he stuck to the soda shop crowd, and leave the discussions hereon to adults.

In short, Shaman, mind your own business.

I'm just saying.......

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 02:27 AM
There have been a select few on here that have been on this board saying this was in the making for a few years now, Dom being the biggest supporter. However, we are more than happy to welcome all Rox fans, bandwagon or not!

Amen, brother. There is PLENTY of room on the bandwagon right now. The only way the Rockies stay good is if the bandwagon fills up, and carries everyone to Coors Field - both for the playoffs, and in years to come. I want - really want! - to be able to believe the Monforts when they say they'll invest in this team in the future. I'm probably being naive, but what choice do I have?

I have lots of faith in Front Range baseball fans. They'll come out if ownership makes a reasonable attempt at fielding a competitive team. In the past five years, they flat haven't done that. The fans responded accordingly. Now the team is good, and Front Range baseball fans will cautiously dip their foot back in the water.

What needs to happen from here is for ownership to get aggressive with locking up their players. We don't need to go after guys like Andruw Jones. It'd be great if we could, but we're not the Yankees, and we're never going to be the Yankees. We do need to lock up guys like Ubaldo, Morales, Holliday, Tulo, Garrett, and Hawpe. Most of them are a long way from being able to test the market, anyway. And if Scott Boras insists on $20 million a year for Holliday, then we reluctantly move him for some big value.

I can admit I was wrong about "The (most recent) Plan." I b****ed when they traded Shawn Chacon. I really b****ed when they traded Jennings. They were right. I was wrong. I'm getting it better now. Some guys just can't stay. Jennings was on the cusp of getting money that would make him overvalued. We can't have overvalued guys.

We need to look at the core and choose our spots, then get value on the guys we determine we can't keep. If they don't mess it up, this is a team that could win 100 games next year. They do that, and attendance will be over 3.5 million. That should line the Monforts pockets with the funds they need to extend Garrett (assuming Ian Stewart can learn him a little 2nd base), extend Hawpe, make a run at Holliday, and try to get Tulo to do the Jeff Francis hometown special.

Hell, I'm rambling at this point. I have felt like I was on meth all day - just pumped about that last night. BMF, I am there if they can somehow make the World Series - maybe even for the NLCS. You should try to come out.

Hogan11
10-03-2007, 02:32 AM
You can have Chacon back....the Bucs are not going to resign him.

Turf Shaman
10-03-2007, 02:33 AM

I'm just saying.......

Come on now, you think I give a crap between you and this dude you responded to? Sorry, you got me mistaken for someone who keeps up with all the various little mini feuds on the mane. You made a general comment about bandwagon fans I responded to.

Oh and, you know, public message board. I'm just saying......

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 03:07 AM
The yellow line of the outfield wall is in play, but I would have to disagree with you......if you watched Hairston's homerun, his hit the top of the yellow line and CARRIED FORWARD over the wall. Now Atkin's ball came back into play somehow, and a ball that hits the yellow badded line does not carry that far back into the field of play....sorry! So why didn't Atkins carry forward like Hairston's??? It's because it hit the a seat/chair/something OVER the wall. It is what it is....should have been a home run, but the still Rockies won!

Without conclusive evidence, how can you complain about that call? The umpires did the correct thing. Nobody can say for a fact looking at the ball from the field that it went over the yellow line.

broncocalijohn
10-03-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm not hopping on any select bandwagon here....but I find it a lot easier to support my league (the NL) this year with all different teams in the post season for a change.

If it's the Rox or someone else....whomever in the NL that can get rid of the same old same old Sox/Yanks/Angels or the semi-new comer Tribe (even though I harbor no real ill will against the Tribe, they're still AL) will have my support.

Hogan, thanks for the "same old" and include the Angels. Not sure if that should include angels but compared to the Pirates, I would say anyone new is good. Angels went from 1986 to 2002 w/o a playoff run. Since 2002, 2004, 2005 and now 2007. 4 out of the last 6. Anytime you can knock out the Red Sox and Yankees, it is good to root on the Indians and Angels.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 03:43 AM
I have lots of faith in Front Range baseball fans. They'll come out if ownership makes a reasonable attempt at fielding a competitive team. In the past five years, they flat haven't done that. The fans responded accordingly. Now the team is good, and Front Range baseball fans will cautiously dip their foot back in the water.

What needs to happen from here is for ownership to get aggressive with locking up their players. We don't need to go after guys like Andruw Jones. It'd be great if we could, but we're not the Yankees, and we're never going to be the Yankees. We do need to lock up guys like Ubaldo, Morales, Holliday, Tulo, Garrett, and Hawpe. Most of them are a long way from being able to test the market, anyway. And if Scott Boras insists on $20 million a year for Holliday, then we reluctantly move him for some big value.

I can admit I was wrong about "The (most recent) Plan." I b****ed when they traded Shawn Chacon. I really b****ed when they traded Jennings. They were right. I was wrong. I'm getting it better now. Some guys just can't stay. Jennings was on the cusp of getting money that would make him overvalued. We can't have overvalued guys.

We need to look at the core and choose our spots, then get value on the guys we determine we can't keep. If they don't mess it up, this is a team that could win 100 games next year. They do that, and attendance will be over 3.5 million. That should line the Monforts pockets with the funds they need to extend Garrett (assuming Ian Stewart can learn him a little 2nd base), extend Hawpe, make a run at Holliday, and try to get Tulo to do the Jeff Francis hometown special.

I saw this team probably being in the 80-85 win mark before the season, I think I predicted a .500 at least mark, with possibility of getting as high as 85 wins, possibly competing for a wild card berth. Well, they did better than that.
I will admit I was upset when they traded Jennings. Thats the only move I didn't like the organization making that involved letting a player go. But really, right away in April/May, I saw what a brilliant move it was. There was the Rockies future leadoff hitter at CF(except he gets injured too damn much), a future solid #3 starter in Jason Hirsh and a solid reliever in Bucholz.
Chacon I never really liked. He had a decent start one year as a starter, but was nothing special. I remember his 37 saves and like 6.something ERA.
I'm hoping that most of this team can stay intact. Mainly Holliday, Hawpe, and Tulo on the offensive side. You gotta assume one of the names is gonna be let go, and I'd rather see Atkins get moved than anyone else. One thing I don't like about moving Stewart to 2B is it sacrifices speed for power. Does Stewart run as well as Matsui?
And just think how good this team can be with a full year of Jimenez and Morales, with Corpas as the closer.

BroncoBuff
10-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Shaun Chacon is available? When did the Pirates get him from New York?

BroncoBuff
10-03-2007, 04:00 AM

Are you sure he signalled safe only AFTER the catcher finally tagged him? Looked to me as if Holliday, after seing the 'safe' signal, gave up on scrambling back to tag the plate.

I'll watch it again I guess.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm hoping that most of this team can stay intact. Mainly Holliday, Hawpe, and Tulo on the offensive side. You gotta assume one of the names is gonna be let go, and I'd rather see Atkins get moved than anyone else. One thing I don't like about moving Stewart to 2B is it sacrifices speed for power. Does Stewart run as well as Matsui?
And just think how good this team can be with a full year of Jimenez and Morales, with Corpas as the closer.

I agree. The priorities to me in signing over the next year are:
1. Holliday
2. Hawpe
3. Atkins

And I don't see us being able to sign all 3. Hawpe has the D going for him over Atkins plus we have Baker and Stewart that could replace him. (In no way am I dispariging Atkins - such a sweet swing- but if you have to prioritize this is how I would rate them.)

Hotrod
10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Hotrod is notorious for his shallow and callow "takes" on any sporting event, even - I suspect - Bull riding where he would examine the droppings of the bull and try to make some sort of provocative satement about them. Just think of him as a mullet without the IQ. He does tend to the crude and uncouth verbage usually associated with a demented teenager.... As a Rockies' fan, he fails to meet the first requirement of a poster hereon: He has nothing of value to contribute.

Perhaps it would be better if he stuck to the soda shop crowd, and leave the discussions hereon to adults.

I'm just saying.......

:spit: I think I have a fan

Paladin
10-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Without conclusive evidence, how can you complain about that call? The umpires did the correct thing. Nobody can say for a fact looking at the ball from the field that it went over the yellow line.

Actually, this is Baseball's versison of the "Tuck Rule". Rockies move on. Pads don't. Enough said.

bronco_diesel
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
:spit: I think I have a fan

hotrod, you tend to remind of me the guy on "dirty jobs"
not a diss, i like the dude.

phillybroncosnut
10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Alright..... Enough of the crying. The Rockies are in and well deserved. Hoffman, as always, choked in the clutch.

Just wanted to forewarn all Rockie fans.... I will be at the game today and all Denver teams that are playing away from home are 0-16 when I attend their games. The Broncos are 0-12 when I go and the Rockies are 0-4. Here is to 0-17!

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Alright..... Enough of the crying. The Rockies are in and well deserved. Hoffman, as always, choked in the clutch.

Just wanted to forewarn all Rockie fans.... I will be at the game today and all Denver teams that are playing away from home are 0-16 when I attend their games. The Broncos are 0-12 when I go and the Rockies are 0-4. Here is to 0-17!

May the Philly Phanatic leave his tears on your shoulder at games end. ;D

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM

May the curse be lifted! :wave:

Master___Pain
10-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Thank you SI!!! The Phillies are ****ed

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m136/Master___Pain/t1_cover1008.jpg

OrangeShadow
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you SI!!! The Phillies are ****ed

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m136/Master___Pain/t1_cover1008.jpg

see signature:welcome:

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Here are my rooting interests for the Division Series:

Rockies over Phillies
Even though I'm a Padres fan, I am happy for the Rockies. I saw many of their youngsters in person while they were farmhands and it's exciting to watch them grow together when the national media was expecting a 4th/5th place finish again.

Diamondbacks over Cubs
Eric Byrnes-Chris Young-Justin Upton makeup the most exciting OF trio in baseball.

Angels over Red Sox
Halos play old school baseball. Fun to watch.

Indians over Yankees
Tribe hasn't won a WS since 1948. I would like to see ARod do well in a losing effort though.

BMF Bronco
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Hell, I'm rambling at this point. I have felt like I was on meth all day - just pumped about that last night. BMF, I am there if they can somehow make the World Series - maybe even for the NLCS. You should try to come out.

Dude, I would love to but seeing that I am going to have a little guy born here within the next month, Nov. 2 is the due date, (yes, that's the first time I've said it on the OM, very few knew about HIM, so if you have q's, PM me) I don't think it would be too feasible, however the series is a good possibility! :thumbs:

24champ
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Rockies over Phillies
Even though I'm a Padres fan, I am happy for the Rockies. I saw many of their youngsters in person while they were farmhands and it's exciting to watch them grow together when the national media was expecting a 4th/5th place finish again.

Diamondbacks over Cubs
Eric Byrnes-Chris Young-Justin Upton makeup the most exciting OF trio in baseball.

Angels over Red Sox

Indians over Yankees
Tribe hasn't won a WS since 1948. I would like to see ARod do well in a losing effort though.

I'm quite the opposite there LB52, I have zero rooting interests in the playoffs. Here is how I see it-

Phillies in 4
Cubs in 5
Red Sox in 4
Yankees in 3

Billy Clyde Puckett
10-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm quite the opposite there LB52, I have zero rooting interests in the playoffs. Here is how I see it-

Phillies in 4
Cubs in 5
Red Sox in 4
Yankees in 3

BBBBBOOOOOOO

Ban Him ;D

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree. The priorities to me in signing over the next year are:
1. Holliday
2. Hawpe
3. Atkins

And I don't see us being able to sign all 3. Hawpe has the D going for him over Atkins plus we have Baker and Stewart that could replace him. (In no way am I dispariging Atkins - such a sweet swing- but if you have to prioritize this is how I would rate them.)

Don't forget about Seth Smith. I think he could step in at one of the corner OF spots and hit .300-20-90 with 15 SB with everyday playing time.

Joe Koshansky is a guy the Rockies should shop this offseason and get a solid player back in return. His raw power is up there with anybody in the minors. He's also younger than Ryan Shealy was when they dealt him to Kansas City.

go_broncos
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM

Rockies over Phillies

Diamondbacks over Cubs

Angels over Red Sox

Indians over Yankees

Most of the times, i am correct in guessing the champions after the teams reached playoff's

I would say this time..Angels will win it.

sixtimeseight
10-03-2007, 02:48 PM

Phillies in 4
Cubs in 5
Red Sox in 4
Yankees in 3

Except you clearly want the team that knocked your crappy Dodgers out of the playoffs to lose. I'd consider that a rooting interest.

24champ
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
BBBBBOOOOOOO

Ban Him ;D

I could be wrong of course. Rockies are the hottest team in baseball and usually that wins you a series or two. You could be very well the be Florida Marlins when they made their runs. However the Phillies have big bats that can overpower the Rockies, Phillies have the best offense in the NL. Plus I am not too high on the Rockies bullpen and Clint Hurdle.

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Actually, this is Baseball's versison of the "Tuck Rule". Rockies move on. Pads don't. Enough said.

Don't go there. I said the Rockies won fair and square in 3557.

24champ
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Except you clearly want the team that knocked your crappy Dodgers out of the playoffs to lose. I'd consider that a rooting interest.

I'm beyond that. I said after that series that I hope the Dodgers lose every game after that because Grady Little is a ****ing tool. If it was the Giants in the playoffs or maybe the Padres, then yeah I would have a rooting interest obviously.

BMF Bronco
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Rox in 4
Cubbies in 5
Indians in 5
Sox in 4

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Mark Redman in. Jorge Julio out.

I was wondering what Hurdle would do after seeing Julio perform Monday. I mean, it's not like the kid just had a tough outing. He looked like he was going to soil himself. And either you have the intestinal fortitude to deal with stressful situations, or you don't.

No other real surprises on the 25-man roster. Seth Smith is there, which is well-deserved.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
btw, I don't think I ever really knew, but what the heck happened to Willy Taveras?
This is going to be an intense series. Putting a lot of faith on 2 rookies in Jimenez and Morales IMO.

Paladin
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
The Phillies hit a lot off homers in that band box they play in. It is a small field. I wonder what Helton would have done with the left field fence being about as far away as the porch on a mobile home. On ESPIN, they mention the "Coors Field Factor" in accounting for homers. Dumbarses don't know what they are talking about. The Humidor has made the game more even. The bandboxes in the East are larger? Hardly. I do not put as much stock in the home run prowess of the Phillies as others do. That's not to say the team can't hit. Not a bit. But it is not the great advantage the talking heads would have you believe.

Secondly, the Phillies' Bull Pen is not as strong as the Rockies', at least for the past twenty games or so. Without Julio, the Rockies are stronger.

This should be a closer game than people think. And I think the Rockies have an excellent chance of taking the game. In any case, they have only to split and the series is on.....

When I think of Philadelphia, I think of the jackhammer guys hanging over their tools yelling "Yo!" to each other......

Paladin
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Willie is still recovering from his hurt Quad. I read he is down in Arizona or somewhere, playing and getting tuned up. Also read that he could be back for the next series if the Rockies make it there. He is a pain in the arse to the Snakes.......

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Mark Redman in. Jorge Julio out.

I was wondering what Hurdle would do after seeing Julio perform Monday. I mean, it's not like the kid just had a tough outing. He looked like he was going to soil himself. And either you have the intestinal fortitude to deal with stressful situations, or you don't.

No other real surprises on the 25-man roster. Seth Smith is there, which is well-deserved.

Julio is a thrower, Redman is a pitcher. Redman had a bad year in 07, but he's been one of the most underappreciated starters in baseball in year's past. He's a savvy southpaw that gets the most of what he has.

Julio has a lightening bolt in his arm, but he's been a "gas can" his entire career. I can't believe the Orioles let him be their closer as long as he did, and even the Marlins thought he could finish games this year:rofl:

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
btw, I don't think I ever really knew, but what the heck happened to Willy Taveras?
This is going to be an intense series. Putting a lot of faith on 2 rookies in Jimenez and Morales IMO.

I wish we had him. He's a disruptive force at the top of the lineup. But we don't need him playing the way he was before the shelved him. A speedster that can't run is sort of a waste of a roster spot.

I'm pretty happy with Spilborghs in CF. He brings a different element than Taveras, obviously. But he's no slouch.

Willy Taveras: Not Ready Yet
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Update: Taveras (quad) will not be added to the NLDS roster, the Rockies' official site reports. He will report to Tucson to get some at-bats during instructional ball. If the Rockies advance to the NLCS he maybe available.

Recommendation: Taveras is getting closer to 100% but he has not faced live pitching since September 8th.

Paladin
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
He did finish games----on the bench. Reminds me of the great tandem of Ray King and Jose Mesa the Rockies had last year....

Worthless......

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
He did finish games----on the bench. Reminds me of the great tandem of Ray King and Jose Mesa the Rockies had last year....

Worthless......

Those two made me want to kill. I was watching the Padres-Brewers the other day, and was still surprised to see Ray King waddle out to the mound. That guy is not an athlete.

Master___Pain
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I could be wrong of course. Rockies are the hottest team in baseball and usually that wins you a series or two. You could be very well the be Florida Marlins when they made their runs. However the Phillies have big bats that can overpower the Rockies, Phillies have the best offense in the NL. Plus I am not too high on the Rockies bullpen and Clint Hurdle.

Minus the Clint Hurdle point, I think you've missed the mark.

Have you seen the Phillies bullpen? I'd take the Rockies pen (especially since Julio is being left off the 25 man roster) And it's not like the rockies offense is made up of a bunch can of corn hitters either. Throw in the best defensive team EVER, and I like the Rox chances....a lot.

24champ
10-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Minus the Clint Hurdle point, I think you've missed the mark.

Have you seen the Phillies bullpen? I'd take the Rockies pen (especially since Julio is being left off the 25 man roster) And it's not like the rockies offense is made up of a bunch can of corn hitters either. Throw in the best defensive team EVER, and I like the Rox chances....a lot.

EVER?! LOL

Seriously the Phillies have like 3 MVP potential candidates in Rollins, Howard, Utely. They lead the NL in runs scored, second in MLB in just about every offensive category, including steals. Like the Rockies, the Phillies have been on a hot streak, going 13-4 lately to overtake the slumping Mets. By the way the Phillies Bullpen isn't exactly something to laugh at.

The Phillies bullpen is in good shape heading into the playoffs. Brett Myers has done very well in his new role as closer, saving 21 out of 24 opportunities. As a reliever, he has a 2.87 ERA and a 10.8 K/9. After missing two full months due to injury, former closer Tom Gordon is rounding into shape as a set-up man. Gordon has allowed runs in only one of his last 15 appearances. After being let go by Boston earlier in the year, J.C. Romero has put up very strong number with a 1.24 ERA and 7.68 K/9. Ryan Madson has been solid with a 3.05 ERA

God forbid anyone in this thread goes against the Rockies. Jesus H. Christ.

Master___Pain
10-03-2007, 03:57 PM
EVER?! LOL

Don't be an ass. The Rockies have the best team fielding percentage EVER in MLB history.

Seriously the Phillies have like 3 MVP potential candidates in Rollins, Howard, Utely. They lead the NL in runs scored, second in MLB in just about every offensive category, including steals. Like the Rockies, the Phillies have been on a hot streak, going 13-4 lately to overtake the slumping Mets. By the way the Phillies Bullpen isn't exactly something to laugh at.

God forbid anyone in this thread goes against the Rockies. Jesus H. Christ.

Who says I'm laughing at Philly? They do have Joe Table and I do laugh at him.

It's not that you went against the Rox, it's that you made it seem like the Phillies are the 27 yankees and the ROX are the 1986 Indians. The two teams are very comparable and the Rox have the better defense, which is huge.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
EVER?! LOL

Actually, he's not just talking in hyperbole. The Rockies finished 2007 with the best single-season fielding percentage in MLB history.

I don't think you're biased. I won't make a prediction, because I really don't have a feel. I think the Rockies will win the series, but there's a lot to argue for both sides. If I had to guess, I would say the Rockies in 4. If it goes 5, I think the Phillies win. It would mean the Rockies had to win the decider in Philadelphia, and that their momentum didn't carry them to more than a split in the first four games.

24champ
10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Don't be an ass. The Rockies have the best team fielding percentage EVER in MLB history.

Yeah and Holliday sure proved that in the 8th against the Padres the other night right?

It's not that you went against the Rox, it's that you made it seem like the Phillies are the 27 yankees and the ROX are the 1986 Indians. The two teams are very comparable and the Rox have the better defense, which is huge.

I didn't make any comparisons about the Phillies, in fact the only comparison of teams I have made were the Rockies and the Marlins when they made their WS runs. Go back on this thread and anyone that makes a single criticism about the Rockies gets attacked by a pack of wolves. Just look at Patswin for Christ sake.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
3 up, 3 down in first. But showed some patience. I think 15 pitches thrown that inning.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah and Holliday sure proved that in the 8th against the Padres the other night right?

I didn't make any comparisons about the Phillies, in fact the only comparison of teams I have made were the Rockies and the Marlins when they made their WS runs. Go back on this thread and anyone that makes a single criticism about the Rockies gets attacked by a pack of wolves. Just look at Patswin for Christ sake.

Patswin intended to inflame, and it worked.

I don't have the impression you've been unfair about the Rockies. Some of us might be a little defensive because we've never really been in this spot before.

The bottom line is that the Rockies are a flawed team with a lot of character and "chemistry." Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to quantify talent than it is to quantify chemistry. So who knows what's going to happen?

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Come on, Jeff. Strikes!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Sweet! Shook off some nerves!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice to see that the lineup has 7 guys up from the Rocks organization. Only 2 starters from outside are Torrealba and Kaz.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Jeff Francis > Sandy Koufax!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM

lol - but 3 Ks in first likely ties some playoff record. ;)

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
lol - but 3 Ks in first likely ties some playoff record. ;)

Actually, it doesn't even tie a Rockies record, which is 4.

Todd's ready to play!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Helton with the leadoff triple. Way to go Todd!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually, it doesn't even tie a Rockies record, which is 4.

Todd's ready to play!

In the playoffs? In the first inning? In Philly? Somewhere we should be able to find a record!

Come on Hawpe - move him over!

defenseman
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Anyone know if the game is being carried via an internet broadcast of some sort? Radio? anything?...dman

*No TV at work.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Dang, now gonna need a hit from Spilly or Torrealba. :(

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Torrealba with the rbi :)

2-0

24champ
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM

LOL Nice one Dom!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
If you didn't know better, looking at these pitchers, you'd think you were watching a high school game. They both look about 16.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Cole Hamels is throwing a lot of pitches. That bodes well for the game and the series.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Tulo! Tulo! Tulo!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Exactly Dom. 45 pitches with 2 out. Bases jammed - come on Tulo!!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
RBI walk after 0-2 count.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
WOW! He got all of that one!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Hate to see Holliday leaving the bases jammed. Up to 57 pitches.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Is it a prerequisite for a man to have a vagina to be on an eHarmony commercial?

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
WOW! He got all of that one!

For sure - left the park!

On the other hand - it was an inside pitch that it would have been hard to do anything but hit a foul ball.

Killericon
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Well, he is Canadian...

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Love how this has started!

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Keep it going Francis~!!!

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
5 up....5 down!!!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
There goes the perfect game.

Old Dude
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
This is insane.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Dang only 1 K that inning. Get your act together Jeff! :wiggle:

bronco militia
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
what happened?

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
The Rockies right now are playing as free and easy as a team can play. They just have no idea what kind of pressure they should be feeling. When Spilborghs says they're the better team, it's not meant to piss anyone off. That's really what they believe.

It's pretty incredible. I wouldn't bet against them, watching their body language to start this game. I wondered how they would look out of the gate, and I worried when Francis went 3-0 to Rollins. But they look like they're just picking right up where they left off.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
what happened?

Old Dude switched to Metamucil.

Old Dude
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
What I meant was that the Rox mo, or mojo, or mumbojumbo or whatever you want to call it is just crazy right now.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Hamels is settling down. But at 66 pitches, it's hard to imagine him going past the 5th, under the best of circumstances. And the Phillies bullpen is weak.

Old Dude
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Old Dude switched to Metamucil.

Uh, yeah.... that too.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
What I meant was that the Rox mo, or mojo, or mumbojumbo or whatever you want to call it is just crazy right now.

So the Metamucil is not giving you the relief you hoped for?

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I need to do something about my enlarging prostate.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
It's nice to have an ump who is decisive in the way he signals balls and strikes. Mcclelland was killing me Monday night.

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Get Hamels pitch count up there and then hand it off to one of the worst bullpen's in the league:)

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:02 PM
First hit by P. :(

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Beautiful. Francis has faced one above the minimum.

Hotrod
Holy crap go rocks

SpringStein
Nice. Tough to get Rollins on DP - but keeps that pitch count down.

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Francis is pitching a gem.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
No doubt Hamel is a good pitcher. But Francis did win 17 and there wasn't much said about him before the game began.

Old Dude
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I think I better take a powder before I jinx this.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
#6 K?

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Howard is #7 K through 4 innings.

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
7 k's in 4 innings....keep it up Francis!

Stormontheplains
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
He just blew through the best lineup in baseball, well that's what the experts say...... GO FRANCIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Crap. Three pitches, two outs. That's not good.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Crap. Three pitches, two outs. That's not good.

Yea, you get the pitch count up on their ace - and then forget to keep it going. :(

5 pitches in the inning?

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Why is the Chevy guy driving around with a carfull of kids? Seems suspicious.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Ugh.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
HR - at least no one on base. Need to shut them down and not give them momentum.

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Nothing hurt Francis.....just limit these guys to one run.

Hotrod
wtf

SpringStein
back to back. Damn.

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
We need an out BAD!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Whew! Thought that might be 3 in a row.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Crap. Francis needs to settle down.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I didn't see this inning coming from Francis...

ColoradoBuff
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
come on francis.....get this guy out.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Good. That could have been worse. We need to work Hamels this inning.

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Two earned in five innings. I think we all would have taken that from Francis to this point given all the big sticks in the Phillies lineup.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Hamels - I think that is 104 pitches now through 6 for Hamels.

broncocalijohn
10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Dude, I would love to but seeing that I am going to have a little guy born here within the next month, Nov. 2 is the due date, (yes, that's the first time I've said it on the OM, very few knew about HIM, so if you have q's, PM me) I don't think it would be too feasible, however the series is a good possibility! :thumbs:

Off topic, but I am trying to do a timeline here.......HMMMMMM? Very interesting.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Francis hits 3rd this inning. If someone gets on, do you pinch hit for him and go to the BP in the 7th?

Paladin
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Is it me, or are the TBS announcers pimping the Phillies like they are getting bonus checks? A lot of homerism there. But I suspect that's because they don't know that there may be baseball played West of the Mississippi....

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Off topic, but I am trying to do a timeline here.......HMMMMMM? Very interesting.

Okay, I wasn't going to say anything, but the baby is mine.

I'm sorry. We never meant it to happen.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Hmm, don't know if I like the idea of Francis out batting.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Flash Gordon on to face Kaz.
We need a huge 2 out hit here.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, Hamels lasted a lot longer than I thought he would, after those first two innings. He showed some guts.

Paladin
10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
And the announcers were so into his jockstrap, and he cannot win the game.... Poetic justice.....

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Damn, that was a big missed opportunity there late in the game.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Kaz usually makes contact. That low pitch is one he goes for though.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Hurdleism - don't PH for the pitcher that you take out to start the next inning.

TheChamp24
Well, that was interesting. Wait until Burrell steps into the batters box to make the pitching change...

DomCasual
What in the hell is Clint Hurdle doing with his pitchers? Seriously, this is two games in a row where he's made head-scratching decisions.

Hotrod
thats odd whos coming in?

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Hawkins.

bamanjam
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Save the bench with the shortened rosters???

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah, it was a decent move. Maybe Francis in warmups wasn't showing anything left.
Bring in Hawkins here, Fuentes in the 8th and then Corpas in the 9th.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Phillies are going to use up some bench players here. 2 already for Helms, and then a pinch hitter for the pitcher on deck.

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Nice double play turned by the best defensive team in MLB history.

Hotrod
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Pitcher's best friend.

On to the 8th. Let's get a couple insurance runs. One run leads are too stressful for old guys like me!

bronco militia
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Pitcher's best friend.

On to the 8th. Let's get a couple insurance runs. One run leads are too stressful for old guys like me!

PLAYOFF BASEBALL IS MADDENING!

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Mvp Mvp Mvp!

SpringStein
Thank you, Matt!

DomCasual
Mvp!

Master___Pain
10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Mvp Mvp Mvp!

Indeed...see sig

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Nice play by Rollins. Almost anyone but Atkins would have beat that out.

bronco militia
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Ding Dong!

Mvp!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Corpas Time.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
That was a big K by Fuentes with the big guy on deck!

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I almost would've liked to see Fuentes face Howard then bring on Corpas.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I almost would've liked to see Fuentes face Howard then bring on Corpas.

I'll take Corpas with bases empty and a 2 run lead rather tha Fuentes with 2 on. :)

RhymesayersDU
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
What in the hell is Clint Hurdle doing with his pitchers? Seriously, this is two games in a row where he's made head-scratching decisions.

I assume you're talking about letting Francis hit in the top of the 7th and then pulling him in the bottom of the 7th.

Very weird indeed. You know, I had similar issues with Bzdelik that first season the Nuggs went to the playoffs. A lot of people were on the bandwagon, but there were little things I really disliked. Rotations, etc.

It's kind of the same deal here. I would pose this to you -- If you had a chance to sign a premier manager, would you fire Hurdle even with this season's success?

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Damn, Myers has a freakin NASTY curveball

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Two Ks by Kaz with guy in scoring position. Bad Kaz!

TheChamp24
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I'll take Corpas with bases empty and a 2 run lead rather tha Fuentes with 2 on. :)

Me too.
But I was saying that when Sullivan pinch hit. I would've liked to see Fuentes start the bottom of the 9th, face Howard, and then bring Corpas in.

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I I would pose this to you -- If you had a chance to sign a premier manager, would you fire Hurdle even with this season's success?

Don't see how you could. there are multiple responsibilities for a manager - and Clint has matured in some areas and seems to get a lot out of his players.

Doesn't mean I love many of his tactical moves...

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Me too.
But I was saying that when Sullivan pinch hit. I would've liked to see Fuentes start the bottom of the 9th, face Howard, and then bring Corpas in.

Good point.

Hotrod
strike out the big guy woohoo

DomCasual
Wow. 2 to go.

TheChamp24
Nice K on Howard to start off the bottom of the 9th!

Rohirrim
10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow! One out away. This would be a huge win if they can hang on.

DomCasual
I assume you're talking about letting Francis hit in the top of the 7th and then pulling him in the bottom of the 7th.

Very weird indeed. You know, I had similar issues with Bzdelik that first season the Nuggs went to the playoffs. A lot of people were on the bandwagon, but there were little things I really disliked. Rotations, etc.

It's kind of the same deal here. I would pose this to you -- If you had a chance to sign a premier manager, would you fire Hurdle even with this season's success?

No, not at this point. He can be an idiot at times, but he seems to work with this team.

TheChamp24
1 more out!
I thought the Rockies pitching couldn't silence the big bats from the Phillies?
Freakin East Coast media bias.
Come on Corpas!

SpringStein
10-03-2007, 06:58 PM
1-0

Sweet!!!

TheChamp24
YES! 1-0 Rockies!
Keep going Rockies!

Rohirrim
Rockies take game one! !Booya!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, boys - that was a relaxed, focused team you just watched. Holy cow! Phillies HAVE to win tomorrow, or it could be ugly for them. ALL the pressure will be on them!

Old Dude
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
15 for 16 now?

Rohirrim
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I was just hoping for a split in Philly. I didn't think the Rockies could go in and beat their ace. This is a big win.

Hotrod
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
I was really afraid after fighting so hard to make the playoffs they would come out tight. This team is on a mission.

defenseman
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
reliable D, clutch hitting, and solid pitching gets ur done. Good job rockies..dman

*Interviewing Helton on ESPN radio.

defenseman
10-03-2007, 07:04 PM
reliable D, clutch hitting, and solid pitching gets ur done. Good job rockies..dman

*Interviewing Helton on ESPN radio.

Helton comes off as the ultimate team guy. Love to hear it the way he delivers it, a team win. No 'me' in that guy.

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I loved Francis in the interview after the game. He seriously looks like a little kid. And totally unassuming.

MAN! This is an easy team to pull for!

Sassy
10-03-2007, 07:08 PM
GO ROCKIES! (Until Hogan convinces me to become a Pirates fan!) Ha!

DomCasual
10-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I was really afraid after fighting so hard to make the playoffs they would come out tight. This team is on a mission.

You know, I don't know if they're on a mission as much as they're just playing baseball. That's why I don't think the pressure is getting to them. They look like a team that is just going out and playing like they did when they were little kids. I don't get the impression that any of them are thinking about the NLCS or World Series. They're just relying on the natural instincts they've been using since T-Ball.

I know that sounds kind of cliche, but it's the true impression I'm getting from them. It's like Francis just now in the interview. He acts completely unaware of what he just accomplished - shutting down one of the best lineups in baseball in one of the biggest games in franchise history.

This is truly an unbelievable situation.

bamanjam
10-03-2007, 07:10 PM
You all tell me: WHO IS THE M...V...P...?