PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

BMF Bronco
09-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks man!

TheChamp24
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I think its a close race between Matt, Wright and Prince for the NL MVP. Personally, I don't think Wright should win it because that team is loaded IMO. And, I think Jose Reyes is the key to that team.
Matt's stats are better anyways, yet I guarantee he will come up #3 in the voting.
People will make the usual excuses:
"He played half his games in Coors Field, so thats why his numbers are so good."
"He played for a team that didn't make the playoffs."
"Who does this guy play for? Colorado? Pssh, no thank."

Seriously, its a joke how much David Wright and Prince get the national attention and Matt doesn't. The Rockies are only 3 wins behind the Mets, and they have a BETTER record than the Brewers.
The Rockies only chance IMO in making the playoffs is sweeping San Diego. If they don't, then they need to practically win out and hope San Diego flames out in the end. I think if they sweep the Padres, and then go 4-2 after that, making them end 7-2 and have a 88-74 record, it will be close. That would also mean the Padres could go at most 3-4, which is possible.
In reality, I think the Rockies need to win out, win these last 9 games, or go 8-1 at minimum. Will be very hard to do though...

BMF Bronco
09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
there was a great piece on Holliday last night on ESPN being the MVP, they conceded that he by all rights should be but if the Rox don't make the playoffs, that will be detrimental to his cause.

cpad007
09-21-2007, 07:16 PM
The Rox finishing strong and MH getting 40 dingers will help a lot. They need to win out, end the regular season with a 14-game winning streak! Yikes, let's just take it one game at a time. How about 7 2-game winning streaks...all back to back! ;)

BMF Bronco
09-21-2007, 07:31 PM
we can hope!

RhymesayersDU
09-21-2007, 08:42 PM
there was a great piece on Holliday last night on ESPN being the MVP, they conceded that he by all rights should be but if the Rox don't make the playoffs, that will be detrimental to his cause.

Saw that, they were pimping him pretty damn hard. Maybe if they steal some games from the Pads this weekend!

BMF Bronco
09-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Saw that, they were pimping him pretty damn hard. Maybe if they steal some games from the Pads this weekend!

Like I said man, there is still a great chance we can get in, we control our own destiny, just need the Mets to keep slumping and the phillies win that division, we slip in after sweeping the pads and the Dodgers again!:thumbs:

OrangeShadow
09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
ladies and gents your american league cy young award winner.... Josh Beckett

TheChamp24
09-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Good game so far in San Diego. Peavy vs. Morales.
Morales I think can be WICKED good, he needs to get better control though, kinda like another lefty, Randy Johnson who struggled with control before dominating. Not saying he's as good, but man, his stuff is wicked.
And wow, I remember earlier in the year the Pads crew(I watch games on MLB.TV) asked a question how many Rockies won the batting title, and they excluded Galarraga. THey asked how many times a Rockie won the batting title tonight, which is 5, and this time they remembered Galarraga. lol

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 12:01 AM
score? it's blacked out here damn it!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:13 AM
0-0 so far, halfway through.
Rockies really need to be patient. I think thats one thing these young kids need to work on, its okay to take a couple strikes. Cory Sullivan just popped out to short to end the top half of the 5th on a 2-0 count with runners on 1st and 2nd. Take a pitch or two.

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
holy ****, watching it online, pitchers duel!

Sassy
09-22-2007, 12:17 AM
holy ****, watching it online, pitchers duel!

Hey BMF...you should have been there Tuesday night...when Helton hit a 2 run HR with two outs in the bottom of 9. I believe he had two strikes also. :yayaya:

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 12:19 AM
I was watching it, totally jacked!!! I did make it to the Rockies opening day this year, so it's good luck, we WILL make the playoffs this year!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Morales had been throwing a no-no, didn't want to jinx him, but its over now. 4 1/3 innings of no hit ball. He struggled with control early in the game but now is on fire. Only 61 pitches through 5 innings too now.

Sassy
09-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I was watching it, totally jacked!!! I did make it to the Rockies opening day this year, so it's good luck, we WILL make the playoffs this year!

Fun night! H is getting me hooked on baseball! LOL!
We went and had quite a few beers at the dugout.
...and yes, we made our flights on Wednesday! Ha!

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Fun night! H is getting me hooked on baseball! LOL!
We went and had quite a few beers at the dugout.
...and yes, we made our flights on Wednesday! Ha!

Um yeah, that whole missing a flight thing tends to be a pain in the ass! :rofl:

Sassy
09-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Um yeah, that whole missing a flight thing tends to be a pain in the ass! :rofl:

:~ohyah!: Depends on whether it's "on purpose" or not! ;)

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Man, I can't wait to see Morales pitch for a whole year next year. Could be ROY, but I think he won't be elgible next year anyways.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Nice hitting Todd!
1st and 2nd nobody out, Atkins up here in the 7th!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Way to go Hawpe! 1-0 Rockies!

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Go Rockies! Not that I am a fan, I just need the Padres to lose so My Phils can gain some ground.

Should be an interestin MVP race. Holliday should get some love finally. Tough race to call. I think there are 3 legit MVP canidates on the Phillies alone. Rollins, Utley and Howard. Howard doesn't have that good a chance because of his .265 avg, and record breaking K totals. His HR's and RBI's can't be ignored though. Utley is a flat out stud. He was leading in average for a while but I think Holliday retook that lead.
Rollins is probably the Phils best hope though. He has started every game for the Phils this season. His numbers as a leadoff guy are mind numbing. He is probably the best defensive SS in the NL if not all of baseball. He is also the true leader of the Phils team.
Since Rollins isn't a household name, I can't see him getting it. He should, but, he won't. Here are his numbers this season:

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=276519

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I like Rollins, but Holliday and Wright have been having huge seasons.
And Holliday is in the top 5 in 8 offensive categories I believe. Thats incredible.
And Howard won't sniff the MVP. Almost 200 K's, a horrible batting average and a pretty poor extra base hits display.
And back to Rollins, Tulowitzki has a better fielding percentage than Rollins.
Can't go wrong with Rollins though. although its weird how he has a solid year, then a couple meh years, and then a couple solid years. Also, where the heck did his power come from? WHats up with these leadoff hitters hitting 30 homeruns?
Morales' night is over now. I cringe now watching the Rockies bullpen come into play :(

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 01:20 AM
I like Rollins, but Holliday and Wright have been having huge seasons.
And Holliday is in the top 5 in 8 offensive categories I believe. Thats incredible.
And Howard won't sniff the MVP. Almost 200 K's, a horrible batting average and a pretty poor extra base hits display.
And back to Rollins, Tulowitzki has a better fielding percentage than Rollins.
Can't go wrong with Rollins though. although its weird how he has a solid year, then a couple meh years, and then a couple solid years. Also, where the heck did his power come from? WHats up with these leadoff hitters hitting 30 homeruns?
Morales' night is over now. I cringe now watching the Rockies bullpen come into play :(

I'm not gonna argue about Howard. It's unreal how he hits clutch HR's though. He has no discipline at the plate which is why his K's are astronomical.
Fielding % is overrated IMO. Rollins gets to balls that Tulo couldn't dream of getting too. That's not a knock on Tulo, it just speaks volumn's to Rollins defensive game. Tulo is an up and comer. Actually, he has already arrived. I'm damn impressed with the kid.

Rollins has become and absolute geinus at the plate. he knows exactly what to do in every scenerio. I never thought I would say that about Jimmy. I couldn't stand watching Rollins his first 3 or 4 seasons. Remeber "Willie Mays Hayes" from Major league 2 Movie? That's exactly how he played. Always wanting to hit the long ball as the leadoff guy. Problem was, he always overswung and got under everything. I always wanted to see him work the count and slap the ball to utilize his speed. he also was guilty at jumping on the first pitch he saw (yes, even when we were losing). As a Varsity Head Baseball coach, that's a major no no in my book.

Rollins has put together 4 straight good to great seasons. This one is his best. He's gonna end up hitting .295, 135 runs, 200 hits, 40 doubles, 20 triples, 30 HR's, 90 RBI's, 40 SB's.....

Here is the thing with Rollins. When Howard was out of the lineup for a month, the Phils kept winning. When Utley was out of the lineup, the Phils Kept winning. When Burrell played his usual "I suck at the plate and will cash the $13 million check for hitting under .200", the Phils kept winning. For as good as a lineup that the Phils have, there is one constent.... Jimmy Rollins.

As far as his power, he has always had good power. he just never had the correct plate management, and his swing was terrible. Since he has figured out how to be a better hitter (brain and mechanics), he has been crushing the ball.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Damn, Corpas gave up a meatball pitch to Adrian Gonzalez and its 1-1 now in the bottom of the 9th.
:(

on Rollins, I'd say he's had solid seasons(decent, good) the past 3 years. Great? Not until this year.

RhymesayersDU
09-22-2007, 01:32 AM
God dangit, one bad pitch. Rockies need to pick it up here.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 01:36 AM
FOCK! Gonzalez has been a beast. SD is winning alot of games with late comebacks. Come on ROX

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Come on Mets Bullpen, blow another one. They were up 9-4 in the 8th. It's now 9-6. Can't beleive I am saying this but, go Marlins.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 01:48 AM
You can't give me David Wright. I've watched him gag time after time this season. His numbers are decent but, Rollins has better production in the leadoff spot then Wright does hitting 3rd or 4th sandwiched between Beltran and Delgado. Wright makes some dazzling plays in the field but he also kicks some routine balls (see last nights implosion by the Mets as a perfect example). The Mets are up 2 in the bottom of the 9th and the Fish have a runner on 3rd. Routine grounder to Wright and he throws the ball way wide of firstbase. All he has to do is make the throw and the Mets win that game.

From what I have seen from David Wright (I've seen alot of Mets games) is he is not clutch in key spots.

If you want to say Fielder or Holliday, I have no problem with that. Wright is no way an MVP canidate.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Wright's the major key to that team though. If you look at the extra stats, he's clearly one of the top 4 performers in the NL. Hanley Ramirez, Rollins, Holliday and Wright are them.
I don't think Fielder is MVP candidate anymore. Honestly, I think Ryan Braun is as valuable if not more.
Personally, with the East Coast bias, I see the MVP voting like this:
1. David Wright
2. Jimmy Rollins
3. Matt Holliday
That is, unless someone does something this last week to completely flip flop it(ie Holliday continuing his tear and finishing with 40 homeruns and 140 RBI's).
And damn, Corpas is NASTY. Just don't keep pitches down the middle and he'll be DOMINATING.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 02:09 AM
Wright's the major key to that team though. If you look at the extra stats, he's clearly one of the top 4 performers in the NL. Hanley Ramirez, Rollins, Holliday and Wright are them.
I don't think Fielder is MVP candidate anymore. Honestly, I think Ryan Braun is as valuable if not more.
Personally, with the East Coast bias, I see the MVP voting like this:
1. David Wright
2. Jimmy Rollins
3. Matt Holliday
That is, unless someone does something this last week to completely flip flop it(ie Holliday continuing his tear and finishing with 40 homeruns and 140 RBI's).
And damn, Corpas is NASTY. Just don't keep pitches down the middle and he'll be DOMINATING.

IMHO.... The guy I would give it to is Holliday. I watched him alot this year and he is a focking stud. Rollins is the least "Flashy" of the canidates. By Flasy I don't mean cocky, I mean, when the veiwer outside of that town see's what each player has done, their eyes pop out. Rollins is a true Baseball player. By that I mean, he does everything, especially the little things to help his club win.
When the powers that be make their vote, their eyes will go directly to the RBI's and HR's. Then they will factor in everything else. When non local fans look at the canidates, they will likely do the same. I like Rollins and I may be a bit biased but I can't think of what this team would be like without him. Not because he will hit 45-50 HR's and end up with 140 RBI's. That Howards job, and Howard will end up close to those numbers.
I just think Rollins is caught in the Richie Ashburn type player. Probably the best at his position but has no shot at the MVP.
If it isn't Rollins, it has to be Holliday. I can't see in any scenerio that Wright deserves the MVP more then Rollins or Holliday.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Damn. I'm tired. Come one Rox. Win this thing so I can go to sleep.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 02:22 AM
I do agree that I don't want to see Wright win it, but that East Coast bias does exist. Holliday needs to continue his monster year down the stretch.

Raidersbane
09-22-2007, 02:23 AM
It's late here on the east coast.......

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Damn, nice play by the Pads 2B, bad baserunning by Hawpe. I don't like how baserunners that are caught in a rundown just stand there. Sprint back to the bag if you are 1/3 or closer. Will take a perfect throw to get you, and never know what will happen on a throw like that.
And who on the Padres bullpen staff CAN'T throw the heat? Geez...

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 02:29 AM
I do agree that I don't want to see Wright win it, but that East Coast bias does exist. Holliday needs to continue his monster year down the stretch.

Thats the key for Holliday. Do it when it matters. I firmly beleive that the reason Howard won it last season isn't because he ended up with 58 HR's and 140 RBI's but because he was hitting Homer's to win games in a playoff push. He was (and is again this season) so clutch when we needed it most.

If Holliday can keep getting the big hit and the Rox can stay in the race until the last 2 or 3 games, he has the inside track to the MVP. This series (Rox/Pads) is so key for Holliday. If the Rox can sweep, or at the very least, win the series, Holliday should be able to turn more heads.
If not, I will puke if they give it to Wright.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 02:32 AM
D
And who on the Padres bullpen staff CAN'T throw the heat? Geez...

Hoffman!

Looks Like Buchholz isn't the "Can't miss prospect" that the Phillies tagged him with. I remember when we traded him, half the fans were up in arms. I just rolled my eyes. I love the "Can't miss" tags.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Man, 1st and 3rd 2 out and Brian Giles up.
Come on Affeldt!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Hoffman!

Looks Like Buchholz isn't the "Can't miss prospect" that the Phillies tagged him with. I remember when we traded him, half the fans were up in arms. I just rolled my eyes. I love the "Can't miss" tags.

Bucholz is off and on, I think he will be a solid reliever in the future, but nothing spectacular.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 02:41 AM
YES! Way to go Tulo! Man!
And this shows how stupid Hurdle is. I think should've kept Bucholz in, walked Giles to load the bases, and pitched to Cameron. Force play at every base, and Giles, who is the better hitter, doesn't get the chance to win it.

phillybroncosnut
09-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Yeah.... Buchholz was tagged as the future Ace. Didn't happen.

Fock, 3 up and 3 down for the Rox in the 13th. I'm going to bed bro. Best of luck to the Rox. We both need it.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 03:00 AM
BRAD EFFIN HAWPE BABY!
Come on pen, HOLD THIS LEAD!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 03:10 AM
WOHOO! GO ROCKS! 6 in a row, 3 1/2 back from the Pads now!

Paladin
09-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Loooong way to go, but you have to admit it was exciting. 14 innings and a Hawpe HR.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring. One thing is sure. The left coast teams are very much aware of the Rockies now.

RhymesayersDU
09-22-2007, 11:34 AM
That nab by Tulowitzki was friggin insane. Great game, go Rockies.

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
What a game!!!

Paladin
09-22-2007, 03:36 PM
If the Rockies don't make it his year, I can see some possibilities for next year; the pieces are mostly there. All we have to do is get rid of the Monforts.........

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 04:15 PM
They will manage to **** this team up somehow

Bronx33
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.vote756.com/marcecko/

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 04:50 PM
They will manage to **** this team up somehow

I'm praying something happens so they don't :(

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
I know right?!

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't want the Rockies to be the laughing stock of the league even more by letting studs like Holliday, Atkins, Francis, Hawpe go for nothing because our owners are tighter than a 16 year old girl on prom night.

Paladin
09-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm praying something happens so they don't :(

What? The Angel of Reason visit them? From what I have heard, the Monforts want to win on somepone else's money.....They have a sweetheart deal for Coor's field, and they have a bargain basement salary structure. I think they are making money....

It would be nice if they would sell out to Kroenke (sp) or a combo of Bowlen and Kroenke and a couple of billionaires from around here.

BMF Bronco
09-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Bowlen Kroenke combo would be phenominal!!!

Seamus
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
If the Rockies don't make it his year, I can see some possibilities for next year; the pieces are mostly there. All we have to do is get rid of the Monforts.........

Kind of not too much into baseball, however this time of year it crosses into being worthy to watch.
It was easy growing up in Colorado to be a Denver fan (except for the huge defeat to the cowbobs in the super bowl) Bolin has always put a great team out on the field.
Since I have lived in Arizona for 14 years and have seen the D-Backs from the beginning. This year with the new ownership they have built the team what I consider to be like the way the Bronco's have built their teams. It sure isn't a KC Royal club where they think "build it they will come".
To your quote, I see what Arizona has been doing this year (not really impressed with trying to bring Randy Johnston back) however the Diamondbacks are now a young team and winning. There pitching won't get them to the final this year, next year things should even be better, making the national west pretty competitive.

OrangeShadow
09-22-2007, 09:20 PM
go royals, with a detroit loss and a sox win we clinch at least a playoff spot

Hercules Rockefeller
09-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't want the Rockies to be the laughing stock of the league even more by letting studs like Holliday, Atkins, Francis, Hawpe go for nothing because our owners are tighter than a 16 year old girl on prom night.

They extended Francis over the winter, they've got to work on the other 3 now.

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I really wouldn't mind seeing Atkins traded if it meant getting a #2 or #3 starting pitcher in return. I know we can't keep everybody.
Of course, it would have to be a GOOD #2 or #3 starter...

Paladin
09-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I really wouldn't mind seeing Atkins traded if it meant getting a #2 or #3 starting pitcher in return. I know we can't keep everybody.
Of course, it would have to be a GOOD #2 or #3 starter...

Keep Atkins, send Hawkins and Julio to whomever for a box of pre-humidor baseballs.... See if Stewart can play a differrnet positon this next spring..... Trade Hawpe, get 3rd pitcher and a relief..... Or two.

KEEP EVERYONE ELSE.........

SpringStein
09-22-2007, 11:09 PM
With Ian Stewart the next big thing for the Rockies, it makes more sense to trade Atkins than Hawpe, imo. Plus Hawpe is such a great defensive player, something Atkins won't be. Just don't "give" him away!

SpringStein
09-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Anyone watching the Rockies game that can tell me why Holliday isn't playing tonight?

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
See, I thougth about saying trade Hawpe, but I love his defense. He has a great arm and makes a lot of plays out there. He is a solid bat too, just not against lefties.
I don't think theres a lot of pitching available free agency wise, so a trade would be most likely, and who has the most value? Atkins. I'd like to see if we could put Stewart somewhere, but where? 2B? Personally, I like Matsui at 2B for now, he adds some nice speed.
It all depends on what we could get for Atkins though. If the best is like a Braden Looper or Jeff Suppan, no thanks. Maybe we could try to pry Oswalt away from the Astros, although I doubt that could happen.

And I hope Holliday's injury isn't serious :(

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Anyone watching the Rockies game that can tell me why Holliday isn't playing tonight?

He has a strained oblique muscle :(

SpringStein
09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Great timing! :(

TheChamp24
09-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I know, hopefully its not TOO serious. Watching the game on mlb.tv, so the Padre announcers are on.
2-0 Rockies so far though! Chased the starter out of the game now.

Oh, and Helton crushed one to Center but Cameron made a leaping catch at the wall. Probably would've been a double. SOOO close.

OrangeShadow
09-22-2007, 11:56 PM
WOOT back in the playoffs, now i want the division

DomCasual
09-23-2007, 12:05 AM
It's nice to see the Dodgers step up with some real character games. I hope they show the same effort next week against the Rockies.

TheChamp24
09-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Okay, Rockies need the Phillies or Mets to start losing now too...

SouthStndJunkie
09-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Magglio Ordonez went 4-5 today (including his 50th double) to raise his average to .358

Ichiro is second in the batting title race at .351

24champ
09-23-2007, 01:22 AM
It's nice to see the Dodgers step up with some real character games. I hope they show the same effort next week against the Rockies.

Yeah they packed it in...play the kids Grittle!

TheChamp24
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Hopefully the bullpen doesn't blow this lead and the Rockies hang on. With a win, they are only 2 1/2 back of the wild card, with the Phillies a 1/2 game back.

DomCasual
09-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away. Three strikes away.

Paladin
09-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Rockies win, 6-2.

Game announcers said the Dudgers locker room was in a tizzy, pointing fingers and being just all pi$$ed off. I love it. So many years the Rockies had been treated like the red headed stepchild by the Dudgers and the Pads and, to some extent the Snakes, and it is great to see the wheel turn around.

I hope the Dudgers continue to fall apart.

cpad007
09-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Okay, excellent...time to start the next 7-game winning streak. 2.5 games out of the Wildcard...someone beat the Phillies fer chrissakes!!

24champ
09-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Rockies win, 6-2.

Game announcers said the Dudgers locker room was in a tizzy, pointing fingers and being just all pi$$ed off. I love it. So many years the Rockies had been treated like the red headed stepchild by the Dudgers and the Pads and, to some extent the Snakes, and it is great to see the wheel turn around.

Your right, Dodgers are falling apart big time, one week ago we were 1.5 out of the wildcard. We're done right now, which is why Grady Little should stop playing the vets and start playing some of the younger guys that are going to start making contributions next year. Get their feet wet. This is ridiculous to play over the hill players we are playing right now because they aren't doing ****.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070923/capt.6b2b6956381b4f5683fb9eb52ff2614a.dodgers_diam ondbacks_baseball_pnc110.jpg

I hope we do continue to lose and that the players start getting pissed off because I want Grady Little gone and probably Ned Coletti should be under some fire as well. Paladin did they say who was saying what?

So many years the Rockies had been treated like the red headed stepchild by the Dudgers and the Pads and, to some extent the Snakes, and it is great to see the wheel turn around.

Competing for a wildcard berth doesn't exactly turn the wheels around Paladin...get some playoff success first.

Natedog24
09-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Rockies win, 6-2.

Don't count on it, the Dodgers will be back :thumbsup:

And I'm all for the Rockies knocking the Pads out of the playoff race so Go Rockies !Booya!

24champ
09-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Don't count on it, the Dodgers will be back :thumbsup:

And I'm all for the Rockies knocking the Pads out of the playoff race so Go Rockies !Booya!

Yeah, It's a good season when the Giants are in last place.LOL

Paladin
09-23-2007, 03:28 AM
....Competing for a wildcard berth doesn't exactly turn the wheels around Paladin...get some playoff success first.

Playoffs! You talking about the Playoffs! Don't talk to me about the Playoffs!

I am just enjoying the Rockies showing a good deal of spunk here in the latter part of the season. Hey! There were at least 10 or so winnable games they blew, and they are still in contention for second place in the Division. That sounds pretty good to me. They have a chance to win more games his season than they have ever won in a season before. That is improvement from last year.

Give the Rockies some credit, here, dude. It won't hurt you......

TheChamp24
09-23-2007, 03:36 AM
And always remember the 4 straight games Fuentes blew back in June. Should've won all 4 there, had leads going into the bottom of the 9nth or 10th and lost.
A win tomorrow puts the Rockies 1 1/2 games back. Phillies might be a problem though as they are only 1/2 game back :\
No one has an "easy" schedule left IMO. Maybe the Pads have the easiest, but they have all road games. Phillies will have a tough series with Atlanta, facing Hudson and Smoltz in that series. Hopefully they lose those 2 games, and the Nats win a game in the series to end the season.
Still, it looks like the Rockies need to win out. Its going to be a tough task to do, but the way they are playing, they can do it!

Natedog24
09-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Yeah, It's a good season when the Giants are in last place.LOL

Amen :thumbs:

phillybroncosnut
09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Okay, Rockies need the METS to start losing now too...

:thumbs:

phillybroncosnut
09-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay, excellent...time to start the next 7-game winning streak. 2.5 games out of the Wildcard...someone beat the Phillies fer chrissakes!!

:chairhit:

Here is something we agree on. Mets tank and Phils win the East. Rox get the wildcard. If that happens, I believe the Phils would host the Rox in the first round of the playoffs. Interesting!

The Braves series dows concern me a bit. Having to face Hudson and Smoltz will be tough. The way we are playing though, The Phillies will be the tough task for Smoltz and Hudson.

Go Phillies, Go Rox

DomCasual
09-23-2007, 08:04 PM
What a bitter-sweet afternoon.

I keep wanting not to get my hopes up for this season. But let's face it - we're playing with the house's money, at this point.

Two sweeps in a row, against teams playing for their playoff lives! Completely insane!

RhymesayersDU
09-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I can't believe these guys. Outstanding play by the Rockies. At the very least, they just might screw the Padres out of a playoff spot.

BMF Bronco
09-23-2007, 08:48 PM
8 in a row baby!!!

TheChamp24
09-24-2007, 12:30 AM
AWESOME! Go Rockies!

Paladin
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
The Rockies have knocked the Dudgers out of the playoffs, and have not seriously dented the Pads' run. Is there a connection between the Rockies' sweeps of Western Division teams and the teams' locker room meltdowns?

I sincerely hope the Rockies are able to take at least two of the three from the Dudgers and set up a great series with the Snakes. If the phils lose and the pads lose, the Rockies could get in. The important thing is that the Rockies need to take care of their own business.

This reminds me of the incredible run of the Avs last year, but I hope this run by the Rockies has a more successful outcome......

Great Show!!!!

OrangeShadow
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
magic number@5 for the sox :)

elsid13
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
magic number@5 for the sox :)

Should be at four, cannot lose to the disaster in Florida. Only good thing is they are in the playoffs. But I want that Best record do they decide on how they want to play the series

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 09:22 PM
How bout Milton Bradley? I can't think of anyone more deserving to suffer that freak injury (maybe Sheffield or Bonds). Bradley is a bad dude and Karma is definately a b!tch.

I was thinking how much I want the Phillies to make the playoffs. I'd like to see the Rox as well because my fellow Bronco fans cheer for them, but, if you think about it, we are already in the playoffs. This last week (the past 2 or 3 also) is playoff baseball. It's actually more pressure filled then playoff baseball. In the playoffs, you can lose 3 games and still be alive. If the Phils and/or Rox lose 3, we are done.

Best of luck with the remaining 6 games Rox fans. May the best team win the wildcard (as long as it isnt the Madres).

TheChamp24
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I don't like how his injury happened because it was the umpires fault(assuming what I hear is true) talking up a storm to him. Well, maybe boths fault, but damn.
I think that ump should get suspended. Bradley, damn, his season is finished and probably won't be back til possibly June of next year.

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, I don't like how his injury happened because it was the umpires fault(assuming what I hear is true) talking up a storm to him. Well, maybe boths fault, but damn.
I think that ump should get suspended. Bradley, damn, his season is finished and probably won't be back til possibly June of next year.

He deserves it.

As far as the Ump goes...... Umpires have been doing that since the advent of Baseball. Does it make it right? Who knows. It's part of the game. I know, I know, Umps are not a part of the "game", but, in reality, they are. I've seen Umps call manager's and players "a$$holes", "Jerk0ffs", "Mother effers", and so on at least 100 times in my baseball life. Happens all the time.
The difference here is that players like Bradley, in all leagues, are too much of mental midgets to deal with it for what it is..... an on field situation.
The mental midgets think that some old white dude is "punking" him somehow. They are too retarded to know the difference.
If Bradley didn't go down the firstbase line looking to get into an arguement with the firstbase ump, none of this would have happened.
The home Ump told him that the firstbase ump said that bradley threw his bat at him the last at bat. Bradley goes down to first with one intention. He chirps to find out if he said that. What was Bradley gonna do if the ump said yes? That's what I want to know.

Players like Bradley need to realize that they hurt their team when they let their "tough guy" do the talking. Actually, players like Bradley don't beleive in the team concept. That's why they get booted by team after team.

TheChamp24
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
He deserves it.

As far as the Ump goes...... Umpires have been doing that since the advent of Baseball. Does it make it right? Who knows. It's part of the game. I know, I know, Umps are not a part of the "game", but, in reality, they are. I've seen Umps call manager's and players "a$$holes", "Jerk0ffs", "Mother effers", and so on at least 100 times in my baseball life. Happens all the time.
The difference here is that players like Bradley, in all leagues, are too much of mental midgets to deal with it for what it is..... an on field situation.
The mental midgets think that some old white dude is "punking" him somehow. They are too retarded to know the difference.
If Bradley didn't go down the firstbase line looking to get into an arguement with the firstbase ump, none of this would have happened.
The home Ump told him that the firstbase ump said that bradley threw his bat at him the last at bat. Bradley goes down to first with one intention. He chirps to find out if he said that. What was Bradley gonna do if the ump said yes? That's what I want to know.

Players like Bradley need to realize that they hurt their team when they let their "tough guy" do the talking. Actually, players like Bradley don't beleive in the team concept. That's why they get booted by team after team.

I'm sorry, but nobody really deserves an injury on something like that. NOBODY.
Heck, I'd hate to see Shawne Merriman tear his ACL because a ref called him names and Charger coaches, in restraining him, tore his ACL.
Thats totally BS that you would say he deserves it IMO.

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry, but nobody really deserves an injury on something like that. NOBODY.
Heck, I'd hate to see Shawne Merriman tear his ACL because a ref called him names and Charger coaches, in restraining him, tore his ACL.
Thats totally BS that you would say he deserves it IMO.

That's okay if that is your opinion but forgive me if I don't feel sorry for total jackoffs when Karma bites them on the arse.

Paladin
09-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Sad part is, the game is known for that stupid incident rather than the fantastic Rockies win, and their winning streak. Strange sometimes what the media will pick up as "the story". But the media have their darlings and the pads are it for now. Hope they lose to San Fran tonight....

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Sad part is, the game is known for that stupid incident rather than the fantastic Rockies win, and their winning streak. Strange sometimes what the media will pick up as "the story". But the media have their darlings and the pads are it for now. Hope they lose to San Fran tonight....

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Rockies win again tonight?

Paladin
09-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Not playing tonight, Sassy. LA tomorrow night.....

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Rockies win again tonight?

Rockies and Phillies are off tonight. The Playoffs start tomorrow night for both teams!

phillybroncosnut
09-24-2007, 11:45 PM
If Sandy Eggo losses tonight, The Phillies (and your boy Chris Coste) move into a tie with SD for the Wildcard lead and the Rox move to 1 game back.

Sassy
09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Go Chris Coste! (Don't tell Hogan ;D )

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 12:22 AM
7-2 Giants in the 3rd

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 12:28 AM
7-2 Giants in the 3rd

Outstanding!!!!:thumbsup: !Booya!

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 12:50 AM
****, 7-4

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 12:57 AM
****, 7-4

Giants completely suck so forgive me if I don't feel 100% confident that they will hold the lead.

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 12:58 AM
I know, it's only the 5th.

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Wow, the Nats completely embarrass the New York Mess at home 13-4. Phils 2 behind for the division.

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 01:17 AM
7-4 still. 1 inning closer to the end though. Top 7.

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 01:31 AM
9-4

phillybroncosnut
Update..... Bottom 7....

Giants 9
Madres 4

WOOT!

phillybroncosnut
9-4

Good timing ^5

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
hahahah, beat you to it

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
By seconds!

Go Giants!

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 01:34 AM
agreed! Rox and Phills are going to have to play a playoff to get into the playoffs watch!

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Any idea what happens in the event of a 3 way tie?

Is the tie broken in division first? Whoever has the better head to head between SD and the Rox? They would get the Phils?

Never thought of, or seen that scenerio before. Any clue?

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 01:42 AM
no not at all, maybe I will write baseball tonight. THat's a good point!

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Hopefully we don't have to worry about it. I'll take a 2 way tie with the Rox losing the coin toss and playing in Philly. :)

BMF Bronco
09-25-2007, 01:45 AM
they did split the last series two a piece!

phillybroncosnut
09-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Fightin' Phils share the Wildcard lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FIGHTIN' PHILS!!

DomCasual
09-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Man, the Padres are screwed with a capital screw!

Rockies need to keep winning - that's all there is to it.

I honestly cannot believe we are playing meaningful games THE LAST FREAKIN' WEEK OF THE SEASON! :)

TheChamp24
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I think in a 3 way tie, the Rockies win the tie breakers. They've beat San Diego head to head 10 games to 8, and they've beat Philly head to head 4 games to 3.
I hope thats how the tie breaker would be settled.
More importantly though, the Rockies need to carry on their winning streak. These 3 games in LA are going to be HUGE. Rocks have struggled in LA, and they face Penny again. Hopefully they can at least win 2 games, but looking for a sweep again!

Paladin
09-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, good! We get to watch Penny play with his little Duck's Tail 'Do while wiggling his fat arse on the mound. I am sure the chicks dig it, but it looks gay to me.....

If Jimenez is on, Penny loses.....

ColoradoBuff
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Go Rockies~~!!!!

SpringStein
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh, good! We get to watch Penny play with his little Duck's Tail 'Do while wiggling his fat arse on the mound. I am sure the chicks dig it, but it looks gay to me.....

If Jimenez is on, Penny loses.....

Penny has had Rockies number - can only hope for the worst for him. ;)

Paladin
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
He had a "No Decision" last time he played the Rockies. I think the Rockies are catching on to his stactics. What they have to do is hang on and puncture him a little and get to the bull pen and win it there. Worked the last time....

24champ
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Eliza Dushku digs it...

Paladin
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
She would!!!!!!

Poor taste.......

DomCasual
09-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Eliza Dushku digs it...

Dude, if you could - if you have any pull, that is - get them to tank it for the next three nights, a lot of us here would be greatly appreciative. I hate Brad Penny, because he's always had our number (until the last start or two, anyway). We need him to be thinking about other things tonight. Four or five runs through about five innings would do it.

It wouldn't hurt the Dodgers to tank it. They're not going anywhere, anyway.

So, what do you say? Can you make some calls?

SpringStein
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Good evening so far...

Arizona lost
Phillies lost
Padres behind 4-0
Rockies ahead 2-0 (but it's early only the 3rd)

24champ
09-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Dude, if you could - if you have any pull, that is - get them to tank it for the next three nights, a lot of us here would be greatly appreciative. I hate Brad Penny, because he's always had our number (until the last start or two, anyway). We need him to be thinking about other things tonight. Four or five runs through about five innings would do it.

It wouldn't hurt the Dodgers to tank it. They're not going anywhere, anyway.

So, what do you say? Can you make some calls?

I stated earlier, like 2-3 days ago that I wanted the Dodgers to tank it for the rest of the season because that might possibly get the manager Grady Little canned. So where do I get playoff tickets for the Rockies games?;D

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
So, what if Atlanta catches up and Padres, Phillies, Rockies and Braves all end in a 4 way tie?

24champ
09-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Tie ballgame, 2-2 in the Dodgers/Rockies game.

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Tie ballgame, 2-2 in the Dodgers/Rockies game.

Helton gets an RBI in the 5th to make it 3-2.

What will Hawpe do with the bases loaded?

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Helton gets an RBI in the 5th to make it 3-2.

What will Hawpe do with the bases loaded?

Barely beat the DP. :)

4-2

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Wow, lucky for the Rox that SS double clutched it, should've been a double play.
4-2 Rockies! Keep it up Rox!

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Man, Jimenez is way too inconsistent. I swear, his control is so out there. One pitch, almost perfect on the outside corner, next pitch, right down the freakin middle, belt high, resulting in a homerun.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
4-5 dugggers

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Troy Tulowitzki Beyotches!

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Troy Tulowitzki Beyotches!

^!!!!!!!!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:06 AM
argggggggggggg, details, I don't have the game, what happened?!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
just saw it on bbtn

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 01:09 AM
What a stud Tulo is going to be, and he is CLUTCH to.

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Holy crap, I just checked ESPN. San Diego is losing, Philly lost already. If this all holds and the Rox win, 3-way tie for the Wild Card, right?

We're 1-game back, correct?

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
gots to keep him!!!!!!! as well as hawpe and holiday and matsui and of course T.hel!!!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Holy crap, I just checked ESPN. San Diego is losing, Philly lost already. If this all holds and the Rox win, 3-way tie for the Wild Card, right?

We're 1-game back, correct?

yes indeed my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy
09-26-2007, 01:28 AM
They've won 9 in a row?

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 01:29 AM
They've won 9 in a row?

They've been kicking some serious ass, yes.

Sassy
09-26-2007, 01:32 AM
We were there on the 18th and they haven't lost since~COOL!

24champ
09-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Some chin music!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:50 AM
Helton single RBI!!!!!!!!!!!

broncofan2438
09-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Wow, I am here in LA and to be honest i guess i am a dodger fan, but go rockies. I grew up in Glenwood springs and went to Coors field all the time. At this point f the dodger

TheChamp24
Just great, just watched Brian Giles hit a 3 run homer in the 9th to give the Pads a 6-4 lead. Giants closer Wilson gave up 4 in the top of the 9th, the homerun by Giles was a MEATball too. Fastball, RIGHT down the middle.
Freakin Giants...

DomCasual
Damn. Padres just hit a three-run homer.

24champ
09-26-2007, 01:58 AM
San Diego looks like they won vs the Giants and Fuentes is blowing it. Doesn't look good.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:00 AM
I hate watching freaking Brian Fuentes pitch! Even when he pitches well, he gets himself in trouble first.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:01 AM
**** madres leading

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:02 AM
I hate watching freaking Brian Fuentes pitch! Even when he pitches well, he gets himself in trouble first.

Yeah, at this point he is pissing the game away.

Dodgers come within one! LaRoche baby! Sorry guys but I love the Dodger Kids.

TheChamp24
All right, good job Fuentes, good job! Way to give up those walks and runs!

DomCasual
Come on, dude. Get a strike out.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:03 AM
damn it

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Allright, nice play Torrealba, gotta admit, I like his catching skills.

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Come on, dude. Get a strike out.

This being a critical game, why isn't Hurdle yanking Fuentes?

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Get him out of there! How much damage can one guy be allowed to do in a season?

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:05 AM
nomar is still playing?!

DomCasual
A first pitch strike! What a concept!

24champ
Well thats the end of the inning, Pierre sucks. I don't even have to watch this at-bat.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm more pissed at the Giants blowing a 2 run lead in the 9th. Now the Rockies can't tie the wild card. ARGH

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:06 AM
I guess with Fuentes, anything is possible...like walking Juan for five.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:07 AM
My Lord, pitch a strike!

DomCasual
Get Him The Hell Out Of There!

TheChamp24
Wow, way to load the bases Fuentes. Jesus Christ.

TheChamp24
Are you ****tin me, you are gonna keep him in there?

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:08 AM
HELLZ YEAH! Way to go Spilborghs!

24champ
And Rockie nation just had a collective sigh of relief...whew!

BMF Bronco
why is he in there still!??!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuckkk

DomCasual
YES!

No more Brian Fuentes in 2007. PLEASE!

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Get Him The Hell Out Of There!

Apparently Hurdle went to the Grady Little School of Managing a game.Hilarious!

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Giants are in last place for a reason, I guess.

An insurance run or two here would make me feel a lot better.

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Giants are in last place for a reason, I guess.

An insurance run or two here would make me feel a lot better.

an insurance run is very possible...Roberto Hernandez sucks balls.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Apparently Hurdle went to the Grady Little School of Managing a game.Hilarious!

No kidding. That was ridiculous. He just put our whole season on the line, and he lucked out.

Is Grady Little going to be back next year? I was scratching my head when they hired him.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:16 AM
an insurance run is very possible...Roberto Hernandez sucks balls.

Dude, you nailed that one!

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:16 AM
No kidding. That was ridiculous. He just put our whole season on the line, and he lucked out.

Is Grady Little going to be back next year? I was scratching my head when they hired him.

I don't know if Grady Little is going to be back or not. I think it will depend on who is available to replace him. Obviously there has been rumors flying around that the young players on the Dodgers are not happy with Grady because they don't get enough playing time. We'll see...

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Dude, you nailed that one!

Yeah...chalk that up as another great call that Grady has made this season. Putting an overrated aging pitcher in a one run game. ****ING Brilliant!

BMF Bronco
whoohoo!!!!!!!!

TheChamp24
Oh thank god the Rockies have gotten 2 runs back so far in the 9th. This game is LOCKED DOWN now.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Hopefully the Giants can not screw up tomorrow and pull out a win. Rockies need some teams to freakin lose!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:21 AM
It will happen, oh yes, it WILL happen!

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah...chalk that up as another great call that Grady has made this season. Putting an overrated aging pitcher in a one run game. ****ING Brilliant!

He is older than God. And his ERA is north of 6! I never get that. Why not bring someone up to replace him - at least add some mystery to it? You know what you're getting with a 40+ year-old pitcher with an ERA over 6.

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Delwyn Young cranks one out.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Hopefully the Giants can not screw up tomorrow and pull out a win. Rockies need some teams to freakin lose!

If the Brewers can stay in it until the weekend, it will help a lot. They need to have some motivation.

I have no faith in the Giants winning tomorrow. You have Peavy going against Patrick Misch.

Patrick Misch?

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:26 AM
sumbitch

TheChamp24
1 more out!

DomCasual
Let's go, guys. One more out.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:28 AM
ugh

24champ
09-26-2007, 02:30 AM
If the Brewers can stay in it until the weekend, it will help a lot. They need to have some motivation.

I have no faith in the Giants winning tomorrow. You have Peavy going against Patrick Misch.

Patrick Misch?

Misch is a very talented young pitcher, wouldn't count him out although he is facing Peavy.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Yes!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:31 AM
one game out!!!!!

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:32 AM
one game out!!!!!

And one less team between us and paydirt!

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Also, I actually was surprised the Giants even won the 1st game. I can see the Padres going 3-2 the rest of the way. Win tomorrow, and split with Milwaukee. That would put them at 89-73. With a win tonight, the Rockies will be 85-72. Meaning they would have to go at least 4-1 the remaining 5.
I loss by the Pads tomorrow would be HUGE. Its the Padres ace and their MAN. Heck, the Padres could very well lose 3 of 4 to the Brewers. It really depends on if the Brewers can keep pace with the Cubs and still be in it at the end.
As far as Philly, I see them going 3-2 the rest of the way too. They could very well lose all these games to Atlanta, they are facing the Braves at the WRONG time. Hudson and Smoltz in the next 2 days, OUCH.
As for the Rockies, I think its very doable for them to go 3-2 the rest of the way. Going 4-1, or possibly 5-0, is going to be tough. Heck, we are actually only 3 back of the DBacks right now. Imagine if we go 5-0 the rest of the way, we have the division!

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Also, I actually was surprised the Giants even won the 1st game. I can see the Padres going 3-2 the rest of the way. Win tomorrow, and split with Milwaukee. That would put them at 89-73. With a win tonight, the Rockies will be 85-72. Meaning they would have to go at least 4-1 the remaining 5.
I loss by the Pads tomorrow would be HUGE. Its the Padres ace and their MAN. Heck, the Padres could very well lose 3 of 4 to the Brewers. It really depends on if the Brewers can keep pace with the Cubs and still be in it at the end.
As far as Philly, I see them going 3-2 the rest of the way too. They could very well lose all these games to Atlanta, they are facing the Braves at the WRONG time. Hudson and Smoltz in the next 2 days, OUCH.
As for the Rockies, I think its very doable for them to go 3-2 the rest of the way. Going 4-1, or possibly 5-0, is going to be tough. Heck, we are actually only 3 back of the DBacks right now. Imagine if we go 5-0 the rest of the way, we have the division!

Dude, I was just telling my girl the same damn thing, we can win the west outright! If the we can sweep out, we will win it!!!

Paladin
09-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I have strong hopes that Julio and Hawkins will be gone next year, and maybe I should add Fuentes to that list. Both he and Corpas just "have" to give up one run in their innings. What is it with Fuentes? He just lost it all of a sudden! Best part is that Penny did not get the win over the Rockies. He had been a thorn in their sides and now the table has turned. No decision again. Good.

The Rockies have a great chance to get to the playoffs. That would just be great..........

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 02:42 AM
Dude, I was just telling my girl the same damn thing, we can win the west outright! If the we can sweep out, we will win it!!!

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I was doing my predictions either. Then I realized if we win out, the best the DBacks can do is 2-3, and that would result us tying them with 90 wins and resulting in the Rockies winning the West. They would win the season series.
Now REALLY go back and think of the games the Rockies blew thanks to the bullpen. They should be in 1st already!
I looked, and between Fuentes, Affeldt and Hawkins, they've blown a total of 15 games. Granted, they probably won some of those games by coming back anyways, but still. Rockies should be in 1st place.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I was doing my predictions either. Then I realized if we win out, the best the DBacks can do is 2-3, and that would result us tying them with 90 wins and resulting in the Rockies winning the West. They would win the season series.
Now REALLY go back and think of the games the Rockies blew thanks to the bullpen. They should be in 1st already!
I looked, and between Fuentes, Affeldt and Hawkins, they've blown a total of 15 games. Granted, they probably won some of those games by coming back anyways, but still. Rockies should be in 1st place.

And you know what is absolutely crazy?

IF they did that (passed the D-Backs), they would likely have the best record in the NL, with the way the Mets are playing.

I mean - are you kidding me? A week and a half ago, even the biggest optimist was writing the season off.

The main thing is that they have to keep winning. They control their own destiny now. Nothing else has to happen if they take care of business.

DomCasual
09-26-2007, 02:52 AM
How's this for a note at the bottom of the write-up for tonight's game?

"The Rockies, who finished with a worse record than the Dodgers in each of their first 14 seasons, need one more victory to end that streak."

I can honestly say I did not know that. Nice to put that little fun fact in the rear view mirror.

HitEmCold
09-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Giants let the Padres off the hook tonight, rox did their part though, Is nice being able to watch some meaningful Rockies games this late in the season.

Paladin
09-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Meh. Giants are a mess. Hopefully they will remain so for a few years.....

OrangeShadow
09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
magic number is now 3!!!!

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Any idea what happens in the event of a 3 way tie?

Is the tie broken in division first? Whoever has the better head to head between SD and the Rox? They would get the Phils?

Never thought of, or seen that scenerio before. Any clue?

I've been wondering about this as well. Ran into this in today's DPO:

As determined by coin flips earlier this month, the Rockies sit in a good spot in the event of a two-team wild-card tiebreaker. They would host either San Diego or Philadelphia on Monday if one of the teams is knotted with the Rockies. If the two-team tiebreaker involved the NL West, the Rockies would be on the road to play either San Diego or Arizona.

BMF Bronco
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Love my ROX!!!!!

ColoradoBuff
09-26-2007, 02:39 PM
How about them Rockies~!!! 5 more W's baby....5 more W's!~!!

BroncoBuff
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
How about them Rockies~!!! 5 more W's baby....5 more W's!~!!

I guess they are right there, huh ... they've won alotta games lately.

Milton Bradley is an idiot, but his idiocy will no doubt help the Rocks. The Phillies are the bigger hurdle, they're playing pretty well too.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I've been wondering about this as well. Ran into this in today's DPO:

Wait, so the season matchups are meaningless? What a load of BS IMO. If the Rockies finish off these last 3 and the DBacks end up going 2-3, we should be the winner of the damn West. We OWN every single matchup vs. the DBacks, Padres and Phillies. If we have to go by a playoff game that blows IMO.

Paladin
09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Let's just takle the game tonight and try to win one for the zipper. Okat?

Gipper?

Nipper?

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Wait, so the season matchups are meaningless? What a load of BS IMO. If the Rockies finish off these last 3 and the DBacks end up going 2-3, we should be the winner of the damn West. We OWN every single matchup vs. the DBacks, Padres and Phillies. If we have to go by a playoff game that blows IMO.

It's been that way forever JT. Even when there wasn't a wildcard, if 2 teams finished tied for the division crown, they played a playoff game to determain a winner.
Tie breakers are meaningless in Baseball. Come to think of it, tiebreakers do not exist in baseball.

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 09:52 PM
The Phils/Braves game is flying. 1 hour 54 minutes into the game and we are going to the bottom of the 7th.

Good guys-4
Scumbags- 2

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
It's been that way forever JT. Even when there wasn't a wildcard, if 2 teams finished tied for the division crown, they played a playoff game to determain a winner.
Tie breakers are meaningless in Baseball. Come to think of it, tiebreakers do not exist in baseball.

I think what JTH was referring to was that it doesn't matter what you do head to head in the regular season. Seems strange to me that the league that wins the All Star game gets home advantage in the WS, but the team that wins regular season matchups depends on home advantage by the luck of a coin flip.

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I really want to bet on the Rockies tonight. They're even underdogs, I can get them +1.5 runs. The bats are hot, but ehhh, I just have this feeling that it's going to burst soon.

Also, some of you might find this amusing. I guess I'm a full fledged Rockies fan after what happened last night. I turned the game off after the 8th inning last night because it was like 11:30 and I needed to sleep for work today. Apparently, I dreamed that the Rockies gave the game back in the bottom of the 9th and lost. I woke up pissed, like the first thing I said was "****ing Rockies, tanked the game." Then I thought to myself... The TV was off. I didn't get out of bed. How do I know this? So I turned on SportsCenter and sure enough, they won.

It was just an odd dream, because I was SURE that I had seen the outcome, and was not pleased.

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Also, saw this the other day, some of you might find it interesting:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/24/espn-and-mlb-feud-over-playoff-promos/

ESPN and MLB Feud Over Playoff Promos
Matt Watson Posted Sep 24th 2007 1:55PM

Earlier this summer, ESPN angered Major League Baseball by revealing the All-Star rosters on the air just minutes after MLB officially announced them during an "exclusive" show on TBS. As punishment, MLB limited ESPN's access at the All-Star game, specifically not allowing them to put a "Baseball Tonight" set on location.

Well, it appears the four-letter network and MLB are butting heads again. ESPN will not be airing MLB playoff games this year, and they're not all that interested in advertising for the stations that will be. If ESPN doesn't relent, MLB will once again lay down the law by limiting access. From the Sports Business Journal:

"The current dispute centers on ESPN's refusal to run on-air spots promoting postseason telecasts on Fox and TBS. This is the first time in years that ESPN will not run ads promoting playoff games on other networks, and, not coincidentally, also marks the first time since 1996 that ESPN will not have postseason baseball on its schedule.

Citing network policy, ESPN says it does not accept advertising that promotes competitive programming on other networks unless it is contractually obligated to do so - and it states that it's not obligated to under its new media deal with MLB. It says other networks have similar policies.

ESPN's decision greatly upset MLB executives, who are considering banning ESPN's "SportsCenter" and "Baseball Tonight" studio sets from postseason venues if ESPN does not run the spots, network sources said."

This will be an interesting dispute to follow. As a blogger who's spent most of my writing career on the outside looking in, I'm acutely aware that access isn't required to create compelling content. But does that translate to television, which is obviously a much more visual medium? Are you more inclined to watch SportsCenter if it's broadcasted on location from the stadium of the teams in the World Series? I don't think it makes a difference for me one way or the other, though I'm guessing ESPN will trust their marketing research over my anecdotal opinion.

OrangeShadow
09-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Go Devil Rays

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM

See, I thought that this changed. But guess not, and frankly, I never even really cared because my teams never have had to worry about a tie breaker game.
But I would say, I would think the team that wins the season matchup would get to play the game in their own stadium...

Billy Clyde Puckett
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I really want to bet on the Rockies tonight. They're even underdogs, I can get them +1.5 runs. The bats are hot, but ehhh, I just have this feeling that it's going to burst soon.

They are not playing the Rocky killer Jeff Kent and two other vets to give the kids some time.

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Phils win creates additional pressure to beat the Dodgers tonight. Can't afford to drop 2 back of Padres...

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
They are not playing the Rocky killer Jeff Kent and two other vets to give the kids some time.

I'd have a hard time betting on the Rockies anytime that Fogg is starting. ;)

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, Arizona is losing after 7, Cubs are losing, Mets are losing, and Milwaukee is losing.
Heres hoping Arizona loses, Cubs lose, Mets lose and the Brewers can come back and win. I'd much prefer the Brewers in the postseason than the Cubs.

elsid13
09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
2 to the AL EAST DIVISION TITLE and the team getting healthy GO SOX!

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM

This is why MLB needs to step in and eliminate the 40 man roster. Maybe expand the roster by 2-3 players for bullpen arms, but, that's it.
This has been argued for years by fans. Chitty teams should do everything they can to field their best players late in the year for the teams battling for the playoffs.
This was really evident about 10 days ago when the Cubs were pissed at the Astros for starting a couple rookie pitchers (recent callups) against the Brewers. I understood the Cubs beef then, and I still understand it to this minute.
These teams need to possess Integrity for the league and the teams that play in the league.

I understand that teams want to get their up and coming players MLB game experience, but, not at the expense of a playoff push. Do it against a non competing team or next August.

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, Arizona is losing after 7, Cubs are losing, Mets are losing, and Milwaukee is losing.
Heres hoping Arizona loses, Cubs lose, Mets lose and the Brewers can come back and win. I'd much prefer the Brewers in the postseason than the Cubs.

Brewers win is a definate. We want the Brewers to stay in the division race until the last day. We need them to have to play for something when they host SD for 4. If they are out of it before then, I think they go in the tank quickly against the Pads.

Prodigal19
09-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Manning is pulling for Helton

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5708129,00.html

:)

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Lowe looks to be "on" tonight. Bottom is falling out on his sinker.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
This is why MLB needs to step in and eliminate the 40 man roster. Maybe expand the roster by 2-3 players for bullpen arms, but, that's it.
This has been argued for years by fans. Chitty teams should do everything they can to field their best players late in the year for the teams battling for the playoffs.
This was really evident about 10 days ago when the Cubs were pissed at the Astros for starting a couple rookie pitchers (recent callups) against the Brewers. I understood the Cubs beef then, and I still understand it to this minute.
These teams need to possess Integrity for the league and the teams that play in the league.

I understand that teams want to get their up and coming players MLB game experience, but, not at the expense of a playoff push. Do it against a non competing team or next August.

See, I like the addition of the 40 man rosters. Maybe not extend it to 40, but like 5-10 guys. Some guys you want to see what you have with. See if that young pitcher really is as good as he was in the minors. Like I said, I have no problem with teams playing youngsters to see what they have with them, regardless of the team.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Man, Helton is LOCKED ON. Lowe has his nasty stuff it looks like though :\

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:30 PM
See, I like the addition of the 40 man rosters. Maybe not extend it to 40, but like 5-10 guys. Some guys you want to see what you have with. See if that young pitcher really is as good as he was in the minors. Like I said, I have no problem with teams playing youngsters to see what they have with them, regardless of the team.

I hear ya. However, there is a fine line between checking out your prospects a screwing with the integrity of the game.

See if you sing the same tune if the Rox are a game behind and the Nats stop playing Ryan Church, Ronnie Belliard, Zimmerman, and Kearns against the Phils.

What's the difference between watching your top prospect during playoff push and doing it in spring training and in August?

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Mets lose! 9-6.... Thanks Nats

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
San Fran up 1-0 through 1 inning.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I hear ya. However, there is a fine line between checking out your prospects a screwing with the integrity of the game.

See if you sing the same tune if the Rox are a game behind and the Nats stop playing Ryan Church, Ronnie Belliard, Zimmerman, and Kearns against the Phils.

What's the difference between watching your top prospect during playoff push and doing it in spring training and in August?

August, the rosters aren't expanded. Spring training, you aren't always facing top competition, and it can be like the minor leagues.

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Padres score 2 and lead 2-1 now :(

phillybroncosnut
09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
August, the rosters aren't expanded. Spring training, you aren't always facing top competition, and it can be like the minor leagues.

It was a rhetorical question. I know the obvious answer but it's BS when you are playing teams in the hunt.
I might forget about the wildcard at this point and hope for the division. The Mets are atrocious right now. They just got swept at home by the Nats.

Go Phils, Go Card's (for 1 game), then go Marlins for 3 games!

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Way to go Kaz - drives in Torrealba with a 2 out single.

SpringStein
09-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Holliday gets a sneaky little grounder for an rbi single. :) 2-0

TheChamp24
09-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Helton almost with a RBI single up the middle, nice play by the 2B.
2-0 lead for the Rox :)
Giants need to come back on the Pads.

RhymesayersDU
09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Go Rocks! Win me some money tonight!

27atwater
09-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I love the Mets...but they are a complete trainwreck right now. That Bannister trade to KC is looking worse and worse each day.

Drek
09-27-2007, 12:11 AM

That argument runs both ways you know.

If a team is well out of the race they've obviously not been playing very good baseball. Bringing up talented prospects creates a "lightening in a bottle" factor that contending teams have to worry about, as opposed to the generally bad players they've been using all season long. Young guys come up and have amazing outings every September, both pitchers and hitters. Its a legitimate threat to have a hot young prospect come up and just maybe shut you out or have a three homer, 7 RBI debut series against you.

In fact so far this season some of the major contenders have used the September call-ups to keep winning. The Red Sox and Yankees are two great examples. Boston has gotten to keep Ellsbury, Buchholz, and some of the other kids handy and they've really produced. The Yankees' calling up a ton of relievers has saved them some serious bullpen wear and tear down the stretch as well.

Its part of the game, and an important one. Everyone can use it, so they should. It also helps get veterans healthy so we see a higher quality playoffs with most of the big stars healthy and ready to play, which is pretty damn important for the integrity of the game itself.

Cutting it down to 5-10 wouldn't matter, teams will just play the roster shuffle and bring guys up and down as needed day after day.

Also, why would it be different if teams that were well out of the race brought them up in August? That just widens the window.

SpringStein
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Padres with a 7-1 lead. Rocks almost HAVE to win tonight.

2-0 after 5.

phillybroncosnut
09-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Can it work? Absolutely. But more times it fails. It's a numbers game. Out of your 15 players added, maybe one, if you are lucky will play lights out.

The Sox and Yankees examples are due to injuries and an ineffective bullpen. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is playing a guy just to see what he has. Also, whats the benefit to the league when the Astros skip Roy Oswalt to pitch a Rookie pitcher? That's the BS that I am referring to. I find it ironic that the Stros do that against the Brewers. Why is it ironic? Because Cecil Cooper (Stros manager) and Bud Selig (Brewers owner) are really close friends. It just so happens that the Brewers are neck and neck for the division lead. Is it a conspiracy? Probably not. However, that question would never have come up if he didn't swap a Rookie for Oswalt.

Sassy
09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
GO ROCKIES!!!

TheChamp24
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
It looks like the Pads are going to win tonight. Thanks a lot Giants you freakin Bonds loving bastards!
Rockies gotta hang on and win this game. Man, it looks like the Rockies really do need to tonight and sweep the DBacks to even have a chance at the playoffs.
Hopefully the Brewers can silence the Pads and win at least 2 games, and maybe 3.
It would be great to put the DBacks out of the playoffs by sweeping them though.

phillybroncosnut
09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
GO ROCKIES!!!

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Coste! I'm telling him next time I talk to him.

phillybroncosnut
09-27-2007, 12:32 AM
As far as I can tell, you guys should have zero problem beating the Dodgers farm club tonight. No Kent, no Gonzo, No Martin, and no Furcal.

RhymesayersDU
09-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Rockies playing pretty solid tonight. Let's add some runs and make it official!