PDA

View Full Version : So...is our defense really bad or?

Northman
11-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Looking at what happened to Chicago yesterday and then New England last night im not so sure our defense is really as bad as some might think. I just think that Indy is far superior to many teams as far as offense is concerned. I didnt catch the second half of the Colts/Pats game last night but the Pats still gave up 27 points and usually they have Indy's number defensively. Indy's defense is still just as bad but im wondering if people were coming down to hard on our defense last week. Thoughts?

Rascal
11-06-2006, 02:55 AM
It's not as good as some people think either. Expect to see opposing offenses run a spread offense and pass on us a lot. The Colts and the Steelers have shown that we are vulnerable to it, and if it wasn't for the TO's we probably would have lost.

Northman
11-06-2006, 02:59 AM
It's not as good as some people think either. Expect to see opposing offenses run a spread offense and pass on us a lot. The Colts and the Steelers have shown that we are vulnerable to it, and if it wasn't for the TO's we probably would have lost.

Well, last year we forced a lot of TO's and still got to the Championship game. So that cant be a bad thing. But you are right, teams are going to look at the Indy blueprint and try to go with that. Problem is, most teams are not like Indy and Pitt proved that yesterday. Had Manning played like Ben yesterday we would have beaten the Colts. I just dont think most teams can get away with playing that flawlessly against us like the Colts did. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.

fontaine
11-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Well, last year we forced a lot of TO's and still got to the Championship game. So that cant be a bad thing. But you are right, teams are going to look at the Indy blueprint and try to go with that. Problem is, most teams are not like Indy and Pitt proved that yesterday. Had Manning played like Ben yesterday we would have beaten the Colts. I just dont think most teams can get away with playing that flawlessly against us like the Colts did. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.

Well, I just hope that our D stays healthy. We've lost Brandon so it's going to hurt us against guys like Gonzo, Gates who we play twice. We've got a couple of players banged up like Lynch, Fergy, Gold, Wilson, Warren, DWill so I'm expecting the offense to continue executing like they have and help them out.

Going away to one of the NFL's best defenses and putting up 31 points is huge so we've got some momentum going up against Chokeland this week!

OrangeShadow
11-06-2006, 03:50 AM
I honestly think warren would of made a huge difference vs indy. so no i dont think our D is that bad plus you got to remember vs pitt, gold fergy brandon and lynch all got hurt

That One Guy
11-06-2006, 04:45 AM
I almost think of our D as when I was younger and played kiddy soccer. The way we were taught to play defense was to just get on the guy with the ball and back pedal until he kicked it too far away from his body and you could just take it the other way. Now, if someone were smart and just stuck to the basics and moved it down the field, I may have back pedaled the whole way.

The INTs all came on long plays, if I recall correctly, and you can never count on fumbles as they're just as dependant on the ball carriers as they are on the hits. So, in my opinion, the Colts laid the blueprint in that if you just rhythmically move down field, you can tear us to pieces. When you try to do too much, that's when we'll bite you.

Mile High Shack
11-06-2006, 06:16 AM
I think our D is average
not great like some people thought originally, but just average

RhymesayersDU
11-06-2006, 06:19 AM
We've only allowed 98 points through 8 games, pretty darn good if you ask me.

I realize the last two games haven't been pretty, but we're still the only team under 100.

Mile High Shack
11-06-2006, 06:21 AM
We've only allowed 98 points through 8 games, pretty darn good if you ask me.

I realize the last two games haven't been pretty, but we're still the only team under 100.

they'll improve that this next week too

Oakland has a very bad offense, even with our injuries, we should hold them under 10

I'd even hope for a shutout

Garcia Bronco
11-06-2006, 06:39 AM

We forced just about every one of those turnovers

Garcia Bronco
11-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Oaklnad also has a very good defense

Willynowei
11-06-2006, 06:52 AM
No we're good, we are not average on defense. There are about 5-6 teams in the NFL that can take advantage of Denvers only weakness on defense, but it is glaring weakness, and any offense that can take advantage of it with efficiency will move the ball very easily against denver.

This team has a poor pass rushing D-line and a Coordinator that is uninspired and uncreative. On the otherhand the defense is well coached in fundamentals and is very athletic and experienced, so both the coaching and the play is a mixed bag.

Best back 7 in football, terrible front four. All in all, I think Denver could stumble into the superbowl and win the whole thing if they play the right teams.

freak6
11-06-2006, 06:55 AM
I honestly think warren would of made a huge difference vs indy. so no i dont think our D is that bad plus you got to remember vs pitt, gold fergy brandon and lynch all got hurt

Warren looked terrible to me yesterday. I saw him hustling, and putting out, but his push was awful.

Rascal
11-06-2006, 06:56 AM
No we're good, we are not average on defense. There are about 5-6 teams in the NFL that can take advantage of Denvers only weakness on defense, but it is glaring weakness, and any offense that can take advantage of it with efficiency will move the ball very easily against denver.

This team has a poor pass rushing D-line and a Coordinator that is uninspired and uncreative. On the otherhand the defense is well coached in fundamentals and is very athletic and experienced, so both the coaching and the play is a mixed bag.

Best back 7 in football, terrible front four. All in all, I think Denver could stumble into the superbowl and win the whole thing if they play the right teams.

I wouldn't say Coyer is uninspired and uncreative, just unable to make changes during the game. Although some recent quotes have raised the question of whether it's him or the players (not smart enough).

Rascal
11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Warren looked terrible to me yesterday. I saw him hustling, and putting out, but his push was awful.

He was double teamed very frequently, but yes it was obvious he couldn't get his usual push due to his toe. I'd say keep him out this game and let him heal up a bit.

freak6
11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I checked the stats, Warren had no no tackles, one assist.

BigPlayShay
11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
They're good. They would be excellent if they improved their tackling. The past 2 weeks the tackling has been atrocious.

Traveler
11-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Anyone else think the Faid might be a trap game?

ludo21
11-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Pass rush was spotty for sure, but towards the end of the game they got better which was HUGE!!!

Paladin
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Lord, here we go again.......

defenseman
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Our defense challenges the opposing offense to play nearly flawlessly each play. If the opposing offense does not, the broncos SHOULD win (that's assuming the offense scores and doesn't turn the ball over). The steelers proved the odds are against an offense being perfect throughout the day so you get turnovers. The defensive coordinator though must make some more adjustments wrt the pass. Two teams in a row have passed very very well overall on the defense. Coyer must fix this, or they will lose two or three more games...especially the damn screen play, way to successful against the bronco defense...dman

HitEmCold
11-06-2006, 07:10 AM
The Linebackers might want to work on recognizing a screen pass, they have been burned repetedly on screens this year.

Willynowei
11-06-2006, 07:26 AM
The Linebackers might want to work on recognizing a screen pass, they have been burned repetedly on screens this year.

Hard to do that when your coach drops you 20 yards downfield because your D-line is so pitiful opposing offenses run deep routes every single down knowning their QB has atleast 6 seconds to throw :pity:

Billy Clyde Puckett
11-06-2006, 07:42 AM

The loss of Gold was a huge factor in Pitt being able to run those screens.

Elway 4 Life
11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
When we can pressure the QB we are a top tier defense. When we dont we are very average. Our defensive play revolves around what we do up front. If we cant get pressure then we get picked apart.

Piss poor tackling was mentioned above and should be mentioned again. The last couple games there have been way to many yards givin up because we are trying to knock the sh1t out of someone rather than wrapping them up.

I do think think that givin all the injuries we played a good game and created alot of opportunities.

broncosteven
11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
2nd week in a row they have been awful but at least this week they got the timely INT. Without the 3 INT's we would have lost even after scoring 31 again!

Giving up 433 yards passing is terrible. 96 on ground is Ok but come on 433 yards after last week? Where is the adjustment? That was a tough show to watch. I felt bad for the guys on the field as they played their hearts out & a lot went down with game ending injuries but they are a typical Bend don't break D.

Coyer needs to find a way to force the teams with top passing games to punt. Champ cannot be our Punt team all year.

fontaine
11-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Coyer needs to find a way to force the teams with top passing games to punt. Champ cannot be our Punt team all year.

We finished the game without 5 Defensive starters.

Not quite sure what you expect?

broncosteven
11-06-2006, 08:45 AM

More stops. I think Pitt punted twice. Indy once.

broncosteven
11-06-2006, 08:47 AM

BTW I did say the following:

"I felt bad for the guys on the field as they played their hearts out & a lot went down with game ending injuries but they are a typical Bend don't break D. "

TheDave
11-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Like it or not folks our defense is #1 in the league in the only defensive stat that means anything... Points allowed. Sorry but when you are #1 in the NFL at the halfway point you are anything BUT average

Time to give credit where credit is due...

Turf Shaman
11-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm concerned about what I've seen from the defense the past couple of games. Good thing is the offense has come to life during the same time. But all it takes is one game in the playoffs where either the offense or defense is not in sync and the other isn't able to do enough to compensate. Neither of them are consistent enough where you can be confident that the Broncos can march in to any stadium and beat any team on any given day.

broncosteven
11-06-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm concerned about what I've seen from the defense the past couple of games. Good thing is the offense has come to life during the same time. But all it takes is one game in the playoffs where either the offense or defense is not in sync and the other isn't able to do enough to compensate. Neither of them are consistent enough where you can be confident that the Broncos can march in to any stadium and beat any team on any given day.

You hit the nail on the head.

I still don't think we have a chance to take all the marbles until Jake & his evil twin are out of the picture. Until he is gone the D will have to win a lot of games for this team so I expect alot more of them than I normally would.

Tredici
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
A couple of things came to mind while reading this thread.

One - of course Denver's linebackers are going to drop back. DJ Williams is the only one who might have the size to take on a lineman. Neither Al Wilson or Ian Gold are going to. They are speed, not muscle and neither one of them is going to win too many battles in the trench.

Two - Yes Pittsburgh threw the ball a lot. There are reasons. For one thing after the first 4 minutes of the game they were down by 14 points. Little hard to start grinding it out when you are two scores down from the get-go. Plus, Cowher wanted to turn Ben lose. They are struggling and it looked like an opportunity for him to find a rhythm. Honestly, I think Parker's 5 something yards a pop and Najeh's 8 something yards a pop are more troubling. Had Pittsburgh decided to stick to the run instead of trying to let Ben cowboy up they might have been more successful.

But no matter what, the defense is to be credited. Amidst the big plays people are forgetting after going up by 14 Denver ran 6 plays, punt. And then back to back to back three and outs. Can't do that against a team who can take advantage of being handed the ball.

BroncoInferno
11-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Tred, I think part of the success running came because we seemed to be pinning our ears back once it became apparent they were going to throw on most downs. They had a lot of success with deceptive runs like delayed handoffs and sweeps in 2nd and long, that sort of thing. They did not really seem to even try to out physical us with the run, so I have no idea how the DL would have responded to that.

I think our problems with the pass have come from design. If we are going to play in the secondary to prevent the big play first, teams are going to find places to throw underneath. Coyer seems satisfied to settle for that, and against a lot of QBs and offenses it will work very well. But elite QBs are going to keep hitting the passes. Fortunately, we racked up a lot of TOs against Pitt. Credit the D for that, but you just can't always count on that. I wish Coyer were better at adjusting his scheme to opponents strengths/weaknesses like Shanny is always able to do on offense, but he just isn't that type of coach. Coaches in this league are too good to think you can just do the same types of things every week without someone finding a way to exploit you. You have to keep mixing it up. The staff said we drafted Williams, Paymah, and Foxworth because of their man-to-man potential...I wish we'd give that a try occasionally. Not as a base per se, but we are getting picked to death underneath. It will hurt us again at some point if we don't mix it up better.

BroncoBen
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Like it or not folks our defense is #1 in the league in the only defensive stat that means anything... Points allowed. Sorry but when you are #1 in the NFL at the halfway point you are anything BUT average

Time to give credit where credit is due...

Halleluiah brother! I couldn't agree more, this is the most important thing for a defense, keeping teams out of the endzone.

Yes teams are going to go to a hurry-up offense just to prevent the Broncos from making substitutions, this is no secret. And it worked to an extent for the Steelers in that they moved the ball, but they unlike the Colts coundn't get the ball in the endzone.

Just enjoy the win and look forward to beating the Raiders in their House of Horrors next sunday.

Alkazar
11-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Screens and other short passes. Our inability to stop these coupled with the lack of a pass rush has made our D suspect. We still have a good defense, just not as great as we thought it was originally.

Mediator12
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
The recency effect has warped the hell out of peoples perceptions.

I am amazed that some people were actually even considering giving the DL any credit whatsoever. When two coaching staffs choose to throw the ball 40+ times a game in a row, they are not concerned with the DL or more importantly the pass rush overall. The DL severely limits the efficacy of the pass defense, as Ben had 5 to 6 seconds to throw 35 times yesterday ??? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut when a team throws 60 times (yes 54 attempts, plus four sacks, plus three runs equals 60 times).

Coyer has smoke and mirrored teams away from the Pass rush for three years with four different schemes, but he does not adjust in game ??? Crucify him. What the hell is he going to do? Keep playing the defense away from their strengths? He was criticized ad hominem for not blitzing more and when they did blitz the last two games the QB's passer rating was 120 with 13 first downs, one INT, and two TD's in 18 attempts.

The old adage says be careful of what you wish for, it might come true. Right now, well, I do not want to see ineffective blitzing just to appease the pundits. There are holes in this defense, and they start right up front when they invested in a Courtney Brown. The rest of the Cleveland five have been excellent backups, outside of Warren occasionally, but not great starters. Dumervil has some talent, and I sure hope he keeps it up, but the league is getting tape on him and it is only a matter of time before they gameplan better against him. Chukwurah and Engleberger are depth on their good days.

Sure, I would love to see some changes in the approach Coyer takes. However, it is really easy to criticize after the fact and the results are apparent. It is another thing to gameplan and execute for sixty minutes. Coyer is well ahead of the league in first half scoring allowed the last three years including the first half of this season. He has been able to give the Broncos a lead in the first half almost every game. Sure, there have been aberrations in the Colts and PIT Losses. But in 56 games, he has been 10 points or under at the half 47 times including both Losses this year and yesterday's game. Easily the league's best over that time.

What has been quite evident is the lack of a legit pass rush in the second half nursing leads. If they had an even average pass rush they would have led the league in sacks last year with over 38 pass attempts against them per game. That does not count the QB scrambles either which means they were passed on over 40 times a game last year too.

The biggest perception difference is that they corrected their Red Zone defense and third down defense from last year. They are top's in Red Zone still and top 3 on third down despite the wrong perception this year that they "give up a bunch of third and long's". In fact, they are still the best team in the NFL on denying third and 6 or worse.

Where they are getting Killed is on second and medium and second and long. Just like against PIT in the AFCC game last year. Those are where 55% of the first downs are occuring. This is because there is no pass rush on non-obvious passing downs from the front four when it is a balanced down, and teams have all day to pick and choose where to throw.

This is a dilemma that needs to be fixed, but until the pass rush is consistent, it is almost impossible to fix when the comeback route is not covered on the #2 CB side. I just hope they straighten out the second down woes.

Cito Pelon
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
The recency effect has warped the hell out of peoples perceptions.. . . . ...

Well, there's plenty of valid criticism that can be leveled at this D, as you did. As long as they don't get the yips and give up big play after big play, TD drive after TD drive, that's what I'm looking for. And win the field position battle one-two more times each game.

BroncoInferno
11-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Med, I think Coyer has done a great job overall, but he has his weaknesses like anybody else. We went with pretty much the same scheme the first six games with little variance. It worked great, yes, but is it not a little arrogant to go up against a film nut like Manning and do exactly what he's seen on film and expect acceptable results? I'm not saying I have the answer, or that the answer is easy, but I do know that the coaches and players in this league are too good to expect to have success with your base defense every week. That's not saying we should have blitzed the hell out of Manning, but how bout some more variance in the coverages, for instance? Risk the big play occasionally and let the youngsters do what they say they drafted them for---play bump-and-run. Or mix the zones up. Show him something new at least. Giving him pretty much what he's seen on film just doesn't seem wise. Coyer definately tried to mix in bltzes more this week, with mixed results. I agree, the pass rush was not acceptable for the majority of the game. Kind of reminded me of 2003 when you were surprised to see decent looking sack stats (40 total sacks and three players with 8.5 or more), but it never appeared that way during the games. Hell, I don't know the answer. Coyer's doing the best he can, I'd just like to see us mix the coverages a little more rather than doing that ten yards off the line stuff everytime. I guess they don't have much convidence in Williams or Foxworth, but sometimes you have to give people a chance. Maybe those guys would actually be more consistent playing the style they used to success in college.

fontaine
11-07-2006, 08:06 AM
This is a dilemma that needs to be fixed, but until the pass rush is consistent, it is almost impossible to fix when the comeback route is not covered on the #2 CB side. I just hope they straighten out the second down woes.

Not going to happen until we start drafting better DL.

azbroncfan
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM

The bulls!t no call of the game was on the backyard football big ben scramble pass to willie parker. Faneca was blasting warren 10 yards past line of scrimmage because he thought ben took off. How refs blew that I don't know.

azbroncfan
11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
The recency effect has warped the hell out of peoples perceptions.

I am amazed that some people were actually even considering giving the DL any credit whatsoever. When two coaching staffs choose to throw the ball 40+ times a game in a row, they are not concerned with the DL or more importantly the pass rush overall. The DL severely limits the efficacy of the pass defense, as Ben had 5 to 6 seconds to throw 35 times yesterday ??? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut when a team throws 60 times (yes 54 attempts, plus four sacks, plus three runs equals 60 times).

Coyer has smoke and mirrored teams away from the Pass rush for three years with four different schemes, but he does not adjust in game ??? Crucify him. What the hell is he going to do? Keep playing the defense away from their strengths? He was criticized ad hominem for not blitzing more and when they did blitz the last two games the QB's passer rating was 120 with 13 first downs, one INT, and two TD's in 18 attempts.

The old adage says be careful of what you wish for, it might come true. Right now, well, I do not want to see ineffective blitzing just to appease the pundits. There are holes in this defense, and they start right up front when they invested in a Courtney Brown. The rest of the Cleveland five have been excellent backups, outside of Warren occasionally, but not great starters. Dumervil has some talent, and I sure hope he keeps it up, but the league is getting tape on him and it is only a matter of time before they gameplan better against him. Chukwurah and Engleberger are depth on their good days.

Sure, I would love to see some changes in the approach Coyer takes. However, it is really easy to criticize after the fact and the results are apparent. It is another thing to gameplan and execute for sixty minutes. Coyer is well ahead of the league in first half scoring allowed the last three years including the first half of this season. He has been able to give the Broncos a lead in the first half almost every game. Sure, there have been aberrations in the Colts and PIT Losses. But in 56 games, he has been 10 points or under at the half 47 times including both Losses this year and yesterday's game. Easily the league's best over that time.

What has been quite evident is the lack of a legit pass rush in the second half nursing leads. If they had an even average pass rush they would have led the league in sacks last year with over 38 pass attempts against them per game. That does not count the QB scrambles either which means they were passed on over 40 times a game last year too.

The biggest perception difference is that they corrected their Red Zone defense and third down defense from last year. They are top's in Red Zone still and top 3 on third down despite the wrong perception this year that they "give up a bunch of third and long's". In fact, they are still the best team in the NFL on denying third and 6 or worse.

Where they are getting Killed is on second and medium and second and long. Just like against PIT in the AFCC game last year. Those are where 55% of the first downs are occuring. This is because there is no pass rush on non-obvious passing downs from the front four when it is a balanced down, and teams have all day to pick and choose where to throw.

Good post. I have been saying early in the year that the D was overachieving and the O was underachieving. The D is the same from last year and guess what they struggled at pass rushing last year and no different this year. Engleberger is terrible especially at pass rush and average against run. They should go 3-4 or extra S instead of putting him in there as he brings nothing but a breather. Chuk isn't that quick off the line for his size and is good Depth but thats it. Draft DL then some more DL and sign a bunch of Undrafted FA DL and see if 1 or 2 can make the roster.

Popps
11-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Totally agree. Our defense is like really high tech, secure prison with one window open. As long as no one finds it, they won't get out. But, if they do... it's a total jailbreak.

Hopefully we can find a way to at least partially close that window come playoff time.

fontaine
11-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Our defense is going to get worse I feel.

We're already missing Brown who was a good contributor on early downs against the rushing game and Warren will likely get no push either because of his foot injury that may linger.

Right now we're working with two situational pass rushers (lang, Dumervil) getting far more snaps than they should since Ekuban was out and may miss some more time because of his thigh injury. Basically, we don't have the guns up front to control the running game and setup 3rd and long situations. So I expect teams to continue to pile up yardage against us especially with Brandon out, and DWill nursing a bad shoulder.

It looks like Coyer will be called upon again to go back to some of his blitzing schemes from last year, but with this banged up D I'm not expecting a repeat of the results we saw from earlier in the season.

BroncoInferno
11-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Our defense is going to get worse I feel.

We're already missing Brown who was a good contributor on early downs against the rushing game and Warren will likely get no push either because of his foot injury that may linger.

Right now we're working with two situational pass rushers (lang, Dumervil) getting far more snaps than they should since Ekuban was out and may miss some more time because of his thigh injury. Basically, we don't have the guns up front to control the running game and setup 3rd and long situations. So I expect teams to continue to pile up yardage against us especially with Brandon out, and DWill nursing a bad shoulder.

It looks like Coyer will be called upon again to go back to some of his blitzing schemes from last year, but with this banged up D I'm not expecting a repeat of the results we saw from earlier in the season.

I fear the same. Hopefully, the offense can keep their momentum going until the D can mend.

Mediator12
11-08-2006, 06:57 AM
The thing that bothers me is that people think that just because the broncos have played base defense that they run the exact same plays from the base.

This is simply not true. They ran over 35 different plays in the Colts game, and 45 in the PIT game. They are not lining up and doing the same thing every down. Just because the pass rush sucks and the offense completes a pass does not mean they ran the same play even though it is out of the same look.

Again, the gameplan was never meant to confuse Peyton or Ben, because the simpleness allows players to make plays and not have to make decisions they have not been able to execute. It allows the players to go make plays and stop thinking about what they are doing.

I am one of the biggest proponents of man press coverage around. I want to disrupt the rythym of the QB's and WR's. I want an attacking style defense like the Bears or Ravens where they get to dictate the offenses options instead of the other way around. The only problem with that is its suicidal with this schizophrenic front four. It is impossible to get to third downs' and Red Zone Defense if the QB gets 5 to 6 seconds to throw to a WR that is in single man press coverage. It takes away the strengths of the defense by playing a super high risk man coverage with no consistent Pass rush.

Simply stated, Blitzing is not about scheme, but execution and deception of the players. That is why the 3-4 has advantages in pass rush that the 4-3 does not. As good as DEN's LB's are in playing the run and the pass, none of them are top level Blitzers with the DL being so poor. If the DL could create constant pressure the blitzes would become more effective as teams accounted for the DL more in pass protection. Right now, they simply key the Blitzers and can easily man up the DL for 4 seconds if they need to. Again, this makes the Blitzers less effective than they already are.

Even though the DL has been poor overall, they can still play much better in the second half. They have a bunch of areas they can improve and take more accountability in the defenses success. If they had just got to manning every once in awhile I still believe we could have won that game as well as the offense played. However, the DL was playoff level non-existant versus the Colts AGAIN.

Tom A Hawk
11-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Looking at what happened to Chicago yesterday and then New England last night im not so sure our defense is really as bad as some might think. I just think that Indy is far superior to many teams as far as offense is concerned. I didnt catch the second half of the Colts/Pats game last night but the Pats still gave up 27 points and usually they have Indy's number defensively. Indy's defense is still just as bad but im wondering if people were coming down to hard on our defense last week. Thoughts?

your defense is plenty good enough..... too good for my liking

fontaine
11-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Even though the DL has been poor overall, they can still play much better in the second half. They have a bunch of areas they can improve and take more accountability in the defenses success.

I don't see how that's going to happen.

Realistically Warren is going to have constant pain on at least one of his toes and as the season wears on, it's going to get worse, not better. He played all of the defensive snaps against Pitt. You think he's going to hold up down the homestretch with two messed up toes while playing so many snaps, let alone improve in the 2nd half?

Brown is out, and Ekuban might miss one or two games given we play two games in a span of five days.

They were forced to use Lang/Dumervil extensively and you think those guys will hold up and play well? Both of those guys are situational pass rushers with Dumervil an undersized rookie. It's simply NOT logical to think that these guys will hold up with more snaps especially with Dumervil seeing double teams already.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dumervil so far, but the best way to neutralize smaller DEs like Lang/Dumervil is run right at them with 320 lb tackles which leaves them sucking for air and beat up on passing downs.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
WELL? Answer the question claire!

Broncos4tw
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Our D is improved, but still needs work. However, our offense is hardly doing it any favors. Going 3 and out on consecutive drives does not help at all.