PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v3.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hercules Rockefeller
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
New season, new thread.

Go Caps, let's finish better than 27th this year!

SoCalBronco
10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Go Penguins! Can't wait till Thursday, I'll be leaving work an hour early to catch the opener on Center Ice. Beat Philly!!!

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/multimedia/wallpapers/800/800x600.jpg

Bronx33
10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
10-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Nice. Time to light this candle. !Booya!

Bronx33
10-04-2006, 12:56 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=17484&stc=1&d=1159730572

Mtbrncofn
10-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Can't wait!

Killericon
10-04-2006, 01:44 AM
http://www.frozenhawks.com/files/images/tuomo-ruutu-shoots-sharks_0.jpg

Jori
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Heaven on earth has arrived...hockey is back!

Bronx33
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Heaven on earth has arrived...hockey is back!

Our father who art in heaven ...............................amen.

Breck Bronc
10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Can't wait to see how the Kid Line, Arnasson, and Theordore do tonight. It would be nice to get off to a good start after reading so many negative predictions for the Avs this season.

24champ
10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Bad news for Pit fans...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179841&hubname=
KDKA TV in Pittsburgh reports that the NHL team will be sold to Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie for $175 million.

Balsillie is the owner of Research In Motion, a Blackberry manufacturer based in Waterloo, Ont.

Among the groups trying to buy the Penguins were Hartford businessman Sam Fingold and a group led by New York taxicab medallion financier Andrew Murstein, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and former star quarterback Dan Marino.

Penguins owner Mario Lemieux and his partners were approached by groups interested in purchasing the franchise back in January. Lemieux had said any new owners would be bound by an agreement to remain in Pittsburgh if a coalition assembled by the Penguins is awarded the license to run a slots parlor downtown.

Say hello to your Hamilton Penguins...should be interesting to watch what Toronto does.

SoCalBronco
10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Bad news for Pit fans...

Say hello to your Hamilton Penguins...should be interesting to watch what Toronto does.

Balsillie is keeping the team in Pittsburgh per KDKA.

24champ
10-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Balsillie is keeping the team in Pittsburgh per KDKA.

For how long though? Seems to me and what I have read and watched on the intermission reports on TV that if the city of Pitt does not get them a new arena soon then the new Owner will try to move the team for greener pastures IE. Hamilton. It is rumored ( haven't confirmed it) that the new owner of the Penguins has a retainer on Copps Coliseaum which is in Hamilton.

SoCalBronco
10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
For how long though? Seems to me and what I have read and watched on the intermission reports on TV that if the city of Pitt does not get them a new arena soon then the new Owner will try to move the team for greener pastures IE. Hamilton. It is rumored ( haven't confirmed it) that the new owner of the Penguins has a retainer on Copps Coliseaum which is in Hamilton.

It's already been established that there is going to be an arena. There are two ways: Isle of Capri wins the slots license (1% possibility) or Plan B, which the slots competitors have already agreed to in writing (99% possibility). Bettman has said they are going to block a move unless there is no viable plan at all. The government is (finally) ready to negotiate the terms of a lease, has ALREADY bought the land for the arena and has said that the terms of the standard Plan B are negotiable. With these facts, there is no way Bettman is going to accept a move, since the plan is viable. Balsillie is purportedly in agreement: if there is an arena, they stay.

Remember, he wasn't the guy who won the right to have an exclusive negotiating period, that was Sam Fingold. He wanted to move to KC to put them in the Sprint Center and therefore he could never finalize a sale, because he knew the NHL would block him.

Mtbrncofn
10-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Huh. That damn Turco. Jose seems to be starting out the same way he ended....can't give up less than 3. Three is his number. At least we got a point and they really didn't look too bad out there.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Huh. That damn Turco. Jose seems to be starting out the same way he ended....can't give up less than 3. .

I thought Theodore was outstanding for you. He made several super saves in the 3rd period to keep it tied. You guys could have given up like 5 goals....he made sure you'd get a point in the standings.

Mtbrncofn
10-05-2006, 01:28 AM
I know. I guess I'm being harsh on him a bit quick. He's started off like this many times though. Great game, even SO's going through the 2nd, then comes the third. I'll give him his due though too, he did make some stellar saves in the third. Guess we could have lost it and not gotten the point at all.

Have to give Jerko the credit for that awesome pass. A lot of people say oh well, it was a clear breakaway. What the hell is a goalie for if he can't stop some of those?

Bronx33
10-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I thought Theodore was outstanding for you. He made several super saves in the 3rd period to keep it tied. You guys could have given up like 5 goals....he made sure you'd get a point in the standings.

None of those goals were theos fault, defensive lapses and brain farts cost us that game i was completelt happy for 40 min then Q doesn't have the troops ready for the 3rd, it looked like they all ate a turkey dinner.

broncocalijohn
10-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Well champ, hockey at the pond this friday. I am trying to get there or dump the tickets. My wife was happy baseball ended and with hockey 5 days later, I might put her over the edge. Nothing like booing a guy in 4 months ago, then be rooting for him on D. With Pronger, Kings will be looking up to the Ducks (and let us not forget SJ)..... again.

24champ
10-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Well champ, hockey at the pond this friday. I am trying to get there or dump the tickets. My wife was happy baseball ended and with hockey 5 days later, I might put her over the edge. Nothing like booing a guy in 4 months ago, then be rooting for him on D. With Pronger, Kings will be looking up to the Ducks (and let us not forget SJ)..... again.

Barry Melrose put the whammy on you guys, so I'm not worried.:wave:

Bronx33
10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Barry Melrose put the whammy on you guys, so I'm not worried.:wave:

Melrose may have picked the right horse for once the quacks are going to be good.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh.

Go Pens!

Bronx33
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Wings are getting blanked 3-0 in the 2nd.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Outstanding first period, especially on the penalty kill.

Staal, Ruutu and especially Dominic Moore are great on PK.

MAF with a brilliant first 20 mins.

2-0, Penguins.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Crosby scores!!

3-0 Penguins.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
FLEURY is ****ing dominating!!!

STUD

Another 5 on 3 killed off.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Forsberg and Crosby getting into it a little.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Jordan Staal....almost coming up with his first NHL goal.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Josef Melichar goal, assists from Crosby and Armstrong.

4-0, PENGUINS.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Another outstanding save by Fleury.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Pens kill off another Flyer PP.

Philly is now 0/8 on the PP.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Pens kill off yet another Flyer PP.

0/9.

Staal, Moore and Ruutu do a great job yet again.

SoCalBronco
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Game over. Sweet. 4-0 Pittsburgh.

Shero's brought in alot of gritty players and hard workers and it showed tonight. They outhustled and outworked the Flyers all night, especially killing penalties.

Marc Andre Fleury shuts out the Flyers in a brilliant performance. 40 saves.

And Crosby with a goal and an assist.

I can't wait till Malkin comes back (should be in about a week), this team should be really competitive this year.

Bronx33
10-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Pens kill off yet another Flyer PP.

0/9.

Staal, Moore and Ruutu do a great job yet again.

I HATE jacko ruutu, hes a cheap shot punk. ( ok i feel better)

alkemical
10-06-2006, 08:29 AM
that was an awesome game socal - fluery looks the deal

Bronx33
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
3 game home stand will be nice hopefully Q can have em ready to play 60 mins per game.

Mtbrncofn
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I HATE jacko ruutu, hes a cheap shot punk. ( ok i feel better)

Definitely have to second that. He is a real jackass.

Mtbrncofn
10-06-2006, 03:43 PM
And holy ****, the Hawks showed some offense last night. Haven't seen something like that from them in God knows how long.

alkemical
10-06-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah well he looked good last night -

Mtbrncofn
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
No worries, ames....he'll do something sometime this year to make you think he's a POS. :)

Bronx33
10-06-2006, 04:01 PM
And holy ****, the Hawks showed some offense last night. Haven't seen something like that from them in God knows how long.

Since roenick and chelios played for them.

alkemical
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
No worries, ames....he'll do something sometime this year to make you think he's a POS. :)

yeah i hope he f's forsberg up for messin with crosby

24champ
10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/7d/full.getty-71798266jg006_los_angeles_k_1_37_17_am.jpg

:strong: Kopitar ****ING RULES 2 goals tonight in his first NHL game. He blew past Pronger several times.

I told you he is going be a star in the future!

Also in other Kings news -Jack Johnson (Ann Arbor, Mich.) lit up the scoreboard, accumulating two goals and four assists on the night.

http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=22268

Jori
10-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I watched that game last night, Kopitar looked very good, the second goal was flukish cause it was tipped in by Beauchemin's stick, but the first goal was brilliant.

That Waterloo/Michigan game was an exhibition. They play the real games next week. They'll have a good season. Michigan is a team I follow because they have two Avs prospects in center TJ Hensick and goaltender Billy Sauer.

24champ
10-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Calijohn, why do Duck fans look like Caltrans workers picking up trash off the I-5? LOL

Anyway youtube vid of Anze Kopitar-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81uXfQCWZA

Kid is ONLY 19and he scores 2 goals in his first NHL game? Special thanks to the teams in the top 10 in the 05' draft besides the Pens for passing on him.

Bronx33
10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Ovechkin with 10 freaking shots on net!

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20062007/ES020022.HTM

Bronx33
10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Defense takes a hit..

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=280711&page=NewsPage&service=page

Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Mike Rathje sidelined by herniated disc

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Flyers defenceman Mike Rathje is out indefinitely because of a herniated disc in his back and will find out next week if he needs surgery.

"I had symptoms all last season and basically I can't skate as well as I can," Rathje said before the Flyers game Saturday night against the Rangers. "I can't shoot as well as I can, and it really drops my play down."

Rathje will have more tests Monday to decide if he needs surgery or rehabilitation. Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin said surgery would keep Rathje out about four weeks. If not, he could miss up to two weeks.

"Our goal is for Mike to have no symptoms when he comes back," McCrossin said.

Rathje had three goals and 21 assists in 79 games last season.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Ovechkin with 10 freaking shots on net!

He'll shoot from anywhere if giving the space, and Semin should be in the lead with 4 goals through 2 games with tonight's hat trick.

SoCalBronco
10-07-2006, 11:24 PM
He'll shoot from anywhere if giving the space, and Semin should be in the lead with 4 goals through 2 games with tonight's hat trick.

Ovechkin had more shots tonight than the entire Penguins team against Detroit.

SoCalBronco
10-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Calijohn, why do Duck fans look like Caltrans workers picking up trash off the I-5? LOL

Kid is ONLY 19and he scores 2 goals in his first NHL game? Special thanks to the teams in the top 10 in the 05' draft besides the Pens for passing on him.

Kopitar was awesome tonight against the Blues, too.

24champ
10-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Kopitar was awesome tonight against the Blues, too.

Yeah really...3 assists tonight, holy cow.

Statistics aside, this kid is really way beyond what I expected. Kopitar came straight out of the Swedish leagues and is playing in North America for the first time ever. He can see the ice well and makes others around him way better. Not to mention his speed is incredible and he takes it right to the defense.

broncocalijohn
10-08-2006, 04:14 AM

We look like Caltran workers cause we pick up the dead Kings fans on the side of the road after another loss to the Ducks. Kopitar looked like a stud Friday night. You forgot to mention the score. Nice win for the Ducks (and Kings) on Saturday. 2 and 0. I need the Sharks to see what we really are made of. Ducks power play so far has been vastly improved. Avs look like the Ducks last year w/o the playoff run. Two overtime, two losses. Ducks cornered the market last year in that catagory. Angels are done so HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!

Bronx33
10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Peeps were debating on some other board why forsberb didn't shoot until 6th in the shootout (well i found this) Go figure! he was out of sticks lol!

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/101-10082006-724011.html

Captain Peter Forsberg caused a bit of a stir by opting out of the initial three shooters in the shootout. He didn't go until sixth.

“I didn't have any sticks left,'' Forsberg explained. “They were broken, all bad. I said there were several guys better than me.

“I used a broken one,'' he added. “I was lacking confidence going in, too. I've been struggling to score goals.''

Bronx33
10-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I wonder how this went over...

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061007.LEAFS07/TPStory/

When the Toronto Maple Leafs gathered in the dressing room at the Air Canada Centre for their preseason opener a few weeks ago, Darcy Tucker motioned to his new teammate, Michael Peca, to occupy the locker stall to his left.

"Right here," said Tucker, slapping his hand on the seat next to him.

The other players in the dressing room gave the kind gesture a double-take, considering what happened on April 26, 2002, when Tucker delivered a low-bridge hit on the then New York Islanders forward, resulting in reconstructive surgery for Peca.
Tucker's overture was part of the healing process that the two have undertaken since they became teammates last summer.
Print Edition - Section Front

Section S Front Enlarge Image
The Globe and Mail

"If I could have taken a mulligan, I would have taken one on that hit," said Tucker, who scored twice in the Leafs 6-0 whitewash of the Ottawa Senators on Thursday. "I felt bad about that hit and that I injured him.

"The two of us have made a conscious effort to get to know each other in the summer, and I thought it was big for the team to see that we have put our differences in the past."

The feisty forwards were in tandem with their effort against the Senators in Ottawa two nights ago, when they exhibited a tremendous amount of on-ice intensity and pulled their teammates along with them.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Peca and the 5-foot-10, 178-pound Tucker are thankful they are now teammates and not opponents.

"I admire how much he puts into each shift," Peca said. "We're similar in stature, but determination goes a long way in our sport and I think he has proven that.

"I would say I'm a little more controlled emotionally than him. But we do have the same attributes in terms of we are out there competing and putting a lot of second effort into the game because of our size."

Tucker's effort to befriend Peca began with a golf game a couple days after Peca signed as an unrestricted free agent.

They were quick to settle their differences and, before they knew it, Tucker was giving advice to his new teammate on a good school for his kids. Now at each home game, their six-year-old sons have a whale of time playing in a family skybox. They have become close friends at school.

"As time goes by, you realize that stuff that happens between opponents is simply part of the game," Peca said. "I know that when I've injured people it's not out of intent. Emotions run crazy, especially in the playoffs.

"Coming here now, it's one of those situations that you enjoy playing with someone who, when you were opponents, was so difficult to play against."

Tucker already shows the effects of his willingness to mix it up. He suffered a nasty scrape underneath his right eye when his face hit the shin pad of Ottawa defenceman Chris Phillips on Thursday.

The two-goal performance was just what Tucker needed to keep his confidence high after a career-high 28-goal season and keep the pressure on the Leafs to sign him to a contract extension this season.

"The most depressing thing of all was not making the playoffs," he said. "We have to make the playoffs this year and in order to do so, there are certain guys here, including myself, that have to stand up and be accounted for.

"I think the respect that you get for going out and playing hard every night and the leadership you bring to the rink maybe outweighs scoring goals and production.

"But there is going to be talk about this [a contract extension] all year, and I really don't want to talk about it. It's something that is out of my control. So you just go out and play hard."

Leafs forward Kyle Wellwood, who enjoyed a four-assist game on Thursday, was given the day off to nurse an undisclosed injury that Toronto coach Paul Maurice said will not keep the youngster out of the lineup against the Montreal Canadiens tonight.

The Leafs also signed veteran forward Boyd Devereaux to a one-year, two-way contract that is worth $450,000 (U.S.) if he plays in the NHL. He was placed on waivers yesterday, and if he clears today, Devereaux will be sent to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

alkemical
10-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Ovechkin had more shots tonight than the entire Penguins team against Detroit.

No doubt man. But hey we blanked the flyers - so i'll take this L... :)

24champ
10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
We look like Caltran workers cause we pick up the dead Kings fans on the side of the road after another loss to the Ducks. Kopitar looked like a stud Friday night. You forgot to mention the score. Nice win for the Ducks (and Kings) on Saturday. 2 and 0. I need the Sharks to see what we really are made of. Ducks power play so far has been vastly improved. Avs look like the Ducks last year w/o the playoff run. Two overtime, two losses. Ducks cornered the market last year in that catagory. Angels are done so HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!

Yup the Sharks are really an underrated team, everyone is hyping the Ducks for the cup. I was high on the Sharks last year but they took a crap against the Oilers. As much as I hate to see a California team win the stanley cup before the Kings do, I picked the Sharks for the second year in a row.

Bronx33
10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Avs up 2-1 in the first.

Jens1893
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Avs just got screwed.

Edit: I take that back, just unlucky.

Bronx33
10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Avs just got screwed.

Edit: I take that back, just unlucky.

AMAZING

Jens1893
10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Svatos on the PP .... 3-2 Avs !Booya!

Bronx33
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Svatos on the PP .... 3-2 Avs !Booya!

Refs owed us..

Jens1893
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Avs win!

Mtbrncofn
10-08-2006, 08:54 PM
W00t! That was nice.

Mtbrncofn
10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Is there a good reason that Avs haven't let anyone have #21? :)

Breck Bronc
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Marek Svatos, Brad Richardson, Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny are making Hockeysfuture.com's prospect organizational rankings of the past few years look excellent :wiggle: . 6 of the Avs 7 goals have been scored by players less than 23 years old.

Two of the biggest keys to Colorado's playoff chances are Jose Theodore and Tyler Arnasson. Theodore has looked pretty good so far while Arnasson has been almost invisible.

I hope we don't rely on special teams all season. Scoring at even strength is the best indicator of a team's ability (imo) and the Avs are doing terrible at that right now.

I can't wait to see Jordan Leopold make his Avalanche debut. Adding him to the blueline and subtracting Brisebois would be a major upgrade, but somehow I get the feeling that either Ken Klee or Ossi Vaananen is going to be the odd defenseman out.

Clockwork Orange
10-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Marek Svatos, Brad Richardson, Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny are making Hockeysfuture.com's prospect organizational rankings of the past few years look excellent :wiggle: . 6 of the Avs 7 goals have been scored by players less than 23 years old.

The cupboard is bare!! :rofl:

Clockwork Orange
10-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Just want to take a moment to show how either TSN has a writer who just started watching hockey yesterday, or they're having a serious go at revisionist history.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=180267&hubname=

The bad blood that had existed between Vancouver and Colorado has subsided with the Canucks' trade of Todd Bertuzzi to the Florida Panthers last June. Bertuzzi was booed every time he came to Colorado after he fractured former Avalanche forward Steve Moore's neck with a hard open-ice body check in 2004.

Wow. Just wow. :nono:

Breck Bronc
10-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Just want to take a moment to show how either TSN has a writer who just started watching hockey yesterday, or they're having a serious go at revisionist history.

The bad blood that had existed between Vancouver and Colorado has subsided with the Canucks' trade of Todd Bertuzzi to the Florida Panthers last June. Bertuzzi was booed every time he came to Colorado after he fractured former Avalanche forward Steve Moore's neck with a hard open-ice body check in 2004.

Wow. Just wow. :nono:Yeah, it was a great open ice body check. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

24champ
10-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Wow. Just wow. :nono:

Wow...is the writer Canadian by any chance? Im stunned he even wrote that.

Jori
10-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Just makes you shake your head when you read something like that from TSN.

I was at the game tonight. Brisebois sucks, Arnason's played like crap after a good training camp and preseason, and Svatos is clutch! I think Stastny is starting to get more comfortable. He got his first NHL point tonight and won 58% of his face-offs. He and Wolski seem to have a nice chemistry.

Sakic also had a nice game tonight. While it's great to see the kids playing well, the Avs need the veterans to get going. A very good performance by Theodore tonight.

Clockwork Orange
10-08-2006, 11:52 PM
If Stastny keeps winning faceoffs at a respectable clip and continues to play solid on the PK, he's going to make it awfully tough for the Avs to send him down when Turgeon gets back.

alkemical
10-09-2006, 08:03 AM
well my pens got blanked by the redwings - but i liked that they didn't panic and kept playing their system.

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
well my pens got blanked by the redwings - but i liked that they didn't panic and kept playing their system.

Fleury sure looks like he's taken a step forward in his development.

alkemical
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
He does, i still think he's got about 3yrs yet before he starts getting to his potential though. Even though the pens lost to the wings - the one goal by #93 - he just stuffed that in and the D didn't do much to discourage him -

The pens need to hope one of the Dmen pans out to be a top tier Dman - but they can't do it all in one year - so i'm happy so far.

Semin for the Caps looks good - i wondered if/when he was going to start being able to put it together.

alkemical
10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
oh and the coyotes look tough man - if they had a true finisher they'd be real dangerous.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Semin for the Caps looks good - i wondered if/when he was going to start being able to put it together.

He looked good after they purged the team in '03-04 and he finally started getting minutes on the top 2 lines and the PP. I'm just glad he was able to realize that when the Caps sued him, they were really suing his agents and the Caps were able to get him back over here.

Bronx33
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I thought this was kinda funny.

Hey John,

I'm being released from prison tomorrow after serving a long sentence for assaulting the organ player at Boston Garden. His Muzak version of The Dead's "Bertha" was too much for any man to take. I only meant to scare him when I tossed my hot dog his way, but the next thing I knew, mustard and relish everywhere. Oh, the humanity. Anyway, now that I have paid my debt to society, and will once again have access to the outside world, I have two questions for you:

1. In your opinion, what has been the biggest change in the NHL since I was locked up 10 years ago?

2. How do you think my Whalers will do this year?

Thanks John!
Bleeding Green,
Gordie (Danbury Federal Penitentiary)

The Boston Bruins have a European captain. The Earth remains on its axis. Look for the Whale to make a run at the Eastern Conference this season. Pat Verbeek inexplicably grew 6 inches. Look for him to score 40-50 goals this season and become eligible for ALL rides at Six Flags in Agawam, Mass.

Follow me. Follow me to freedom.

Nuggets4
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I love Bucci's columns.

I know Theodore's not real popular around these parts, but if he keeps playing like he has the first two games this season, will you guys still be unhappy with his contract?

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I know Theodore's not real popular around these parts, but if he keeps playing like he has the first two games this season, will you guys still be unhappy with his contract?

If he plays up to his contract, there's nothing to be unhappy about.

Go Theo!!

Mtbrncofn
10-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I love Bucci's columns.

I have a good nickname for him, but I can't use until the time is right. I'm not the basher of Jose everyone thinks I am. I really want the guy to succeed, I just get disappointed very easily with him it seems. It's got to be this whole second or third crack at quitting smoking. It's getting to me. :)

I wasn't trying to be an asshole with the Forsberg question. I was being serious. Is there a reason that they don't let his number be used? Are they going to wait and retire it when he retires?

Breck Bronc
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I wasn't trying to be an a-hole with the Forsberg question. I was being serious. Is there a reason that they don't let his number be used? Are they going to wait and retire it when he retires?Have you heard that the Avalanche organization isn't allowing players to wear #21? If not, I'm sure every current Avalanche player knows that #21 probably isn't the best number to choose since Forsberg was so popular in Denver. Plus, there's so many numbers to choose from for a hockey player, unlike in the NFL were you're always going to have guys like Javon Walker and Darrent Williams wearing famous numbers due to the NFL's uniform restrictions.

Peter Forsberg will certainly have his #21 in the Pepsi Center rafters after he retires from hockey. It'll be up there with 33, 77, and 19. I think #52 should be up there at some point, too. Rob Blake has no chance now; Milan Hejduk needs to finish his career in Denver and have about 5 more good seasons to get consideration.

Clockwork Orange
10-10-2006, 01:27 AM
I wasn't trying to be an a-hole with the Forsberg question. I was being serious. Is there a reason that they don't let his number be used? Are they going to wait and retire it when he retires?

They're not issuing the #21 because they're saving it for when Forsberg comes back to the Avs next season. :~ohyah!:

OK, wishful thinking aside, they're likely not issuing it because they figure he's going to retire very soon and after that happens, they'll be raising that number to the rafters at Pepsi Center.

Mtbrncofn
10-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Have you heard that the Avalanche organization isn't allowing players to wear #21?

No, I have never heard anything like that. Just an observation. :) I guess I equated it to the NFL. They gave up TD and Eddie Mac's #'s so quickly. The TD one really pained me.

I'm surprised Shannon's 84 wasn't retired by the Broncos, but I'm very happy with how it's being used these days. :)

alkemical
10-10-2006, 11:57 AM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/10043511/detail.html

ERG: Isle Of Capri Will Likely Win Pittsburgh Casino Bid

PITTSBURGH -- According to Equity Research Gaming published by the Susquehanna Financial Group, there are new odds predicting the applicants to operate a stand-alone casino in Pittsburgh.

It comes in the wake of the recent buyout offer for Harrah's and the new ownership of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

According to ERG, the odds for the Isle of Capri bid have increased, the odds for the Station Square gaming has decreased, and the odds for PITG have stayed the same.

This puts the Isle of Capri in the lead.

The winner is expected to be announced in December.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Looks like the Caps 1st rounders from this past draft are doing ok so far. Backstrom leads the Swedish league in points, and apparently has had no help in the process. Varlamov is starting for his RSL team at 18, which apparently is a big deal, and it also looks like he'll at least be one of the goalies on the Russian WJC team, if not the starter.

chadta
10-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Defense takes a hit..

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=280711&page=NewsPage&service=page

Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Mike Rathje sidelined by herniated disc

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Flyers defenceman Mike Rathje is out indefinitely because of a herniated disc in his back and will find out next week if he needs surgery.

"I had symptoms all last season and basically I can't skate as well as I can," Rathje said before the Flyers game Saturday night against the Rangers. "I can't shoot as well as I can, and it really drops my play down."

Rathje will have more tests Monday to decide if he needs surgery or rehabilitation. Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin said surgery would keep Rathje out about four weeks. If not, he could miss up to two weeks.

"Our goal is for Mike to have no symptoms when he comes back," McCrossin said.

Rathje had three goals and 21 assists in 79 games last season.

This is a good thing not a hit, rathje is nothing more then a big friggin pylon out there, if only we could get hatcher to hurt himself too.

On the bright side we finally won a game last night.

Final note, hamilton will never get an NHL team because then toronto would want one too.

Bronx33
10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Well the nucks juggernalt drops another game to the wild.

24champ
10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Some good news, after seeing the Coyotes play tonight...Im not worried about the Kings finishing last in the Pacific.

broncocalijohn
10-12-2006, 02:17 AM
After watching the Ducks in person tonight i came to the conclusion that it is a different year but same results. Ducks make first shootout goal then proceeded to miss the next 5 shots. Of course that means the Islanders didnt do so hot either making 2 of 6. This is how the Ducks got a lower seed last year as they couldnt get the extra points and proceeded to give those points in the Western Conference. At least Avs caught the same bug and NY is in the East. Dallas coming in Sunday. That wont be watched while in Mile High.

Bronx33
10-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Aebischer doing well......

Aebischer stopped 27 shots, and Michael Ryder and Alex Kovalev scored goals to lead the Canadiens to a 3-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday night.

The Canadiens only needed the standard three periods to put this one away after opening the season with two straight shootouts. They split those, and now head home for Saturday's opener against Ottawa with two victories on their trip.

''We've played really well all three games,'' Aebischer said. ''There's always a period of adjustment in a couple of areas, but I thought we've worked really hard and that's the key.''
Related Info

* Highlights: MTL 2, PHI 1

Montreal owes this one to Aebischer, who was stellar in earning his second win of the season in another hostile environment. The Flyers couldn't slip one past on the power play, wasting all eight chances, including an 0-for-4 effort in the first period.

Philadelphia went 1-for-5 on the power play in a 4-2 win at New York on Tuesday.

''This is a really frustrating loss because we really could have built something,'' Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. ''We could have built from the momentum of the last two games and we didn't.''

The Flyers trailed 2-0 going into the third, but R.J. Umberger scored nearly 2 minutes into the period to energize the crowd. It had no impact on Aebischer. He stopped 13 shots in the third and kept the Flyers winless at home this season (0-1-1).

Fittingly, the Flyers came up empty playing the final 1:53 on a power play. Chris Higgins added a short-handed, empty-netter in the final seconds.

''We did a lot better job to take care of our end in the third period, and we played a lot better defensively,'' Kovalev said.

Starting his third straight game and second in two nights, Antero Niittymaki had 20 saves for the Flyers. Even with a torn labrum in his left hip, Niittymaki seems to have edged out Robert Esche as Philadelphia's No. 1 goalie. Niittymaki decided to have a cortisone shot instead of surgery to repair the tear, and it appears it was the smart move, even though he has only one win, so far.

Niittymaki said his hip has not been a problem since his shot.

''I feel something once in a while, but nothing major,'' he said. ''It doesn't bother me at all.''

The Canadiens scored only 38 seconds into the game on Ryder's second goal of the season. Montreal jumped on a loose puck, and worked it around the boards before Ryder knocked it past Niittymaki.

''It's not fun to get scored on in the first minute,'' Niittymaki said.

The Flyers were all over Aebischer early in the period, firing one shot off the post, but wasted just under seven minutes of power-play time. They had a two-man advantage for 58 of those seconds, but Aebischer never flinched.

Montreal caught a break early in the second on Kovalev's goal. The puck caromed to the left circle, and Nolan Baumgartner momentarily had his stick on it before the puck slid away from him. It came right to Kovalev who sent a quick wrist shot over Niittymaki's left glove to make it 2-0.

The Flyers skated off the ice to boos, a little quieter than usual because of a surprising number of empty seats.

Notes: Flyers D Mike Rathje was tentatively diagnosed with piriformis syndrome on Wednesday, and not a herniated disk as originally thought, trainer Jim McCrossin said. Rathje, sidelined since playing in the opener, will be examined again in the next two days to confirm the diagnosis. McCrossin said Rathje will only need an injection and not surgery. ''In a best-case scenario, we are hoping Mike can be back on the ice late next week,'' McCrossin said. The Piriformis is one of the small muscles deep in the buttocks that rotates the leg outwards.

Bronx33
10-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Huh! i never knew klee had a place up in morrison.

CENTENNIAL - Ask an Indiana native to name his favorite sports movie and odds are he'll pick the basketball film Hoosiers.

Miracle on Ice would seem more appropriate for Ken Klee and John- Michael Liles, even though both were born in Indianapolis and are well aware of the hoops hysteria that exists in their home state.

They just happen to play hockey for a living as Avalanche defensemen.

"It's kind of funny that we've got that Indiana connection, and now he's my defense partner," Liles said.

Washington Capitals forward Donald Brashear is the only other active NHL player born in Indiana, but he was raised in Montreal.

In a way, Klee, 35, feels as if he has come back home after signing with the Avalanche in July as a free agent. He and his wife have had a house in Morrison since 1998, when he was playing for the Capitals, but until this year, it was empty during hockey season.

"We used to travel around the summer a lot and look at different places to live," Klee said. "Denver offered so much outdoor life with hiking, mountain biking, hunting, fishing. We just kind of took a chance. We knew we wanted to live on the water or in the mountains, and we decided the mountains were where we wanted to be."

Klee was a Capitals rookie in 1994-95 when veteran Dave Poulin gave him what he still regards as a practical piece of advice.

"He said, 'Buy a house where you want to live, not where you play.' That's something I'll never forget," Klee said. "Thankfully, we did it. We found a place where we wanted to live. No matter what happens with hockey, you always have a place to call home.

"Now we're thrilled to be able to stay at home and be down to one house. We have three kids, and it's nice to not have to move them all over the country and to Canada like we did the last couple of years. We made a lot of friends here over the years and it's real exciting for us to be home."

Liles, 25, was born and raised in Indiana, but Klee was a toddler when his family moved to Broomfield, where he learned to skate and play hockey.

The family moved back to Indianapolis when Klee was 6, then to Kansas City seven years later. Klee continued to play hockey and progressed enough to leave home at 17 to play Junior B hockey at legendary St. Michael's in Toronto alongside a teenage star named Eric Lindros.

From there, Klee earned a scholarship to Bowling Green State University in Ohio. Klee was a freshman when Rob Blake was a senior there, making it all the more interesting that he has supplanted Blake as Liles' defense partner.

When Blake left Colorado in July to sign with Los Angeles, Klee and his agent contacted Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere, and they eventually agreed on a one-year deal for $700,000.

"I was excited for a fresh start, and with Rob Blake leaving, that opened up a lot of minutes," said Klee, who spent his first nine seasons with Washington and most of two seasons with Toronto until a trade in March sent him to New Jersey.

Through three games with the Avalanche, Klee is averaging 22 minutes of ice time, second on the team to Brett Clark's 24:25.

"Kenny is a real experienced guy, a real good pro," coach Joel Quenne-ville said. "The fact that we use him a little bit on special teams is a compliment to what he can do. He's probably playing more than we initially anticipated."

That could change once Jordan Leopold is cleared to play after recovering from hernia surgery, but Klee is making the most of his opportunity.

"I just have to keep making good decisions and playing smart hockey and, hopefully, I'll keep getting rewarding with ice (time)," he said.

Klee's fellow Hoosier is happy, too.

"I had the privilege of playing with 'Blakie' for two years - a big, solid, dependable defenseman - and Kenny's been very good for me," Liles said. "Anybody that's played in the league this long has a lot of knowledge, and I try to pick his brain as much as I can."

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Jordan Staal with his first NHL goal. Shorthanded.

Great to see him steal it and breakaway.

Fleury having another great night.

PIT 1 NYR 0 in the second period.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Jagr scores to tie it up.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Rookie Kris Letang also with his first NHL goal from Crosby to tie it up at 2-2 after Cullen scored earlier to give the Rags the lead.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Hall with a one timer on the PP, ****.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Crosby with a sweet pass to Oullet on the other side of the net to tie it at 3.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Sweet......Armstrong to Crosby to Whitney on the PP for the goal.

Penguins, 4-3.

3 assists for Sidney, tonight so far.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Come on PK'ers, kill it off

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:06 PM
****, 2 man advantage

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Nylander ties it up.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Whitney with a goal at the very end of the PK off the 2 on 1 break from Armstrong.

Penguins, 5-4.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Damn Colby.

Back on the penalty kill.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:21 PM
son of a bitch.

Can't hold a lead.

5-5

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Penalty on the Rags with 1:03 to go.

SoCalBronco
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
PENGUINS SCORE with just 3 seconds left.

Crosby threw it at the net, may have been deflected in by a Ranger or Oullet.

6-5.

Yep, it hit off the skate of Ward. Goal to CROSBY.

PENGUINS WIN!

Sidney with a 4 point night! Sweet.

Bronx33
10-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Looks like PP killed the caps tonight......

Mtbrncofn
10-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I covet Dion Phaneuf. That guy is a monster. I just happened to catch the replay of the hit he put on someone tonight. Wow. He's a fun player to watch, IMO.

EDIT: What I meant to say was that Phanuef is more fun for me to watch than the fancy schmancy super goal scorers. I guess I just like that part of the game a bit more.

Killericon
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I covet Dion Phaneuf. That guy is a monster. I just happened to catch the replay of the hit he put on someone tonight. Wow. He's a fun player to watch, IMO.

If I had to choose, I'd ship off Iginla before Phaneuf.

Mtbrncofn
10-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Gosh, that'd be a tough choice. A defenseman like him is rarer though, it seems.

I am truly envious of the Flames for having him.

alkemical
10-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Well i enjoyed watching sid put up 4pts last night.

SoCalBronco
10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Penguins' Malkin could make NHL debut in days
Friday, October 13, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin could make his NHL debut in a matter of days.

Malkin received contact in practice today for the first time since dislocating his left shoulder Sept. 20, and coach Michel Therrien raised the possibility that, pending further medical evaluation, Malkin could be in the lineup as early as Wednesday, when the Penguins will face New Jersey at Mellon Arena.

"I hope (he'll play in) less than a week," Therrien said. "We'll see. But he's close."

Malkin wore a black shoulder support under his hockey gear during practice and had ice on his shoulder afterward, but his play betrayed no problems related to his injury.

"He's making some great progress," Therrien said. "Evgeni's working really hard to get back into the lineup as soon as possible. We're excited about the way he's come along with that injury. He's close. He's close."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06286/729755-100.stm

DenverSportsFan4
10-13-2006, 08:47 PM
I have NHL Center Ice for the first time this year and I must say I'm loving it... I've watched so much hockey in the last week but it never gets old.

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I have NHL Center Ice for the first time this year and I must say I'm loving it... I've watched so much hockey in the last week but it never gets old.

Careful it can lead to divorce. (if your married)

Mtbrncofn
10-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Not being allowed to get it can also head you in that direction. There really just should not be such things as guys who don't like sports.

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Not being allowed to get it can also head you in that direction. There really just should not be such things as guys who don't like sports.

Are you sayin MR MT don't like sports?

Mtbrncofn
10-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Yes! Can you believe that?! Of all the luck in the world.....I pick one of the only guys who doesn't even like sports.

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Freaking! communist if ya ask me, you want me to drive up there and rough him up?

Mtbrncofn
10-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Ha! Sometimes he could use it.

Clockwork Orange
10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I've had Center Ice for five years now and I don't think I could make it through a season without it. I'm a junky and I'm in a good place with that.

I can hear it now if my wife ever tried to tell me I couldn't have Center Ice.

"That's it, it's either me or Center Ice! You can't have both!"

"Damn, baby, I'm gonna miss you." ;)

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I've had Center Ice for five years now and I don't think I could make it through a season without it. I'm a junky and I'm in a good place with that.

I can hear it now if my wife ever tried to tell me I couldn't have Center Ice.

"That's it, it's either me or Center Ice! You can't have both!"

"Damn, baby, I'm gonna miss you." ;)

I always get it just before the playoffs, if i watch anymore hockey than that my wife would kill me.

Clockwork Orange
10-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I always get it just before the playoffs, if i watch anymore hockey than that my wife would kill me.

My wife doesn't get to complain, she knew what she was getting when she walked the plank with me.

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 11:37 PM
My wife doesn't get to complain, she knew what she was getting when she walked the plank with me.

Iam not going to push that limit. (just to be safe)

Clockwork Orange
10-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Iam not going to push that limit. (just to be safe)

You're a better man than I. ;D

Bronx33
10-13-2006, 11:50 PM
You're a better man than I. ;D

Center ice can take up aaaaaaaalot of time.

DenverSportsFan4
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Careful it can lead to divorce. (if your married)

nah I'm only 19 lol but thanks for the heads up. I hope my future wife if I do ever get married likes pro sports if a such thing even exists that way not only would I not get harrassed for watching too much sports, but she would be there watching with me. I'm probably doing too much wishful thinking maybe lol

Bronx33
10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
nah I'm only 19 lol but thanks for the heads up. I hope my future wife if I do ever get married likes pro sports if a such thing even exists that way not only would I not get harrassed for watching too much sports, but she would be there watching with me. I'm probably doing too much wishful thinking maybe lol

Cover your bases.............

Jori
10-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes! Can you believe that?! Of all the luck in the world.....I pick one of the only guys who doesn't even like sports.

I seem to attract the sports hating guys as well. I just don't get it :hitself:

Bronx33
10-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Well we sure didn't lack getting the puck on net the deciding factor was roloson.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20062007/GS020070.HTM

Mtbrncofn
10-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I seem to attract the sports hating guys as well. I just don't get it :hitself:

Seriously, what kind of luck do we have then? Those guys are in a huge minority.

I sandbagged when I met my husband about the whole sports thing. Had to reel him in first. ;D Bwahahahahaha, I still remember it. The horrific loss to the Jagwads. I go ballistic. I'm crying and screaming and he is looking at me like he married someone possessed. Then he said about the dumbest thing he could have said, "It's just a game, honey. " I was still bawling at that point, plus I had just had a baby. ( Horomones were probably a bit out of whack. ) I went to our room, slammed the door, and didn't talk to him for a couple of days.

Now, if something bad happens...everyone in the house will just leave. They have a warning system for each other. Apparently, no one in my family likes to see tantrums and foul language unleashed on a consistent basis.

Nuggets4
10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Apparently, no one in my family likes to see tantrums and foul language unleashed on a consistent basis.

That's called a "family reunion" in my family.

OK more knowledgable Avs fans -- it sounded to me like Statsny only made the team because of injuries. However, the bits of games I've seen (tried to watch the game while playing drums at a gig last night), he's looked good. Any chance he'll stick with the team all year? I'd love to see him and Wolski stay together.

SoCalBronco
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
MALKIN TO MAKE NHL DEBUT WEDNESDAY WHEN PENGUINS HOST DEVILS
10/16/2006

PITTSBURGH - Center Evgeni Malkin is scheduled to make his NHL regular season debut Wednesday night against the New Jersey Devils at Mellon Arena, it was announced today by Penguins General Manager Ray Shero.

Malkin, 20, the second overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has been sidelined since suffering a dislocated shoulder in a preseason game Sept. 20. He began practicing with the team last week and has been cleared to play by the Penguins’ medical staff.

Game time Wednesday is 7:30 p.m. All fans attending the game will receive a Sidney Crosby bobblehead. For Penguins ticket information, please call 412-642-PENS or log on to www.pittsburghpenguins.com.

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/2072.0.php

alkemical
10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeeeee MF HA!

Clockwork Orange
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Three of the four Chicago goals thus far have been soft as Charmin.

I'm so ****ing glad the Avs are paying Jose TheOpenDoor $5 million plus for the next two seasons.

alkemical
10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
We pay gonchar $5/mil a year

Mtbrncofn
10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I now feel comfortable busting out my nickname for good ol Jose. Thanks a lot, Mr. TREYodore. Usually 3 is your number, hence the nickname...but you had to go above and beyond the call of duty and let a 4th in.

alkemical
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bD_9Ftg7Zs

Mtbrncofn
10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I miss Aebi. I still remember being horrified when I saw that trade flash across the bottom line on ESPN news last spring. I still am.

Jori
10-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Maybe Quenneville will develop a hatred for Theodore like he did for Aebischer.

The sell out streak ended tonight at 487...all good things...

Clockwork Orange
10-16-2006, 11:59 PM
The sell out streak ended tonight at 487...all good things...

Good. A full house didn't need to be witness to that abomination from TheOpenDoor.

Bronx33
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Well lets put little blame on stupid penalties what six in a row? defense was non existant and had us 16 to 4 in shots in the first, jose let in some softies but our team has to keep the heat off him like that not many goalies can make it through a flury like that.

Jori
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Bad defense and penalties aside, Theodore was awful. He's the main reason they lost last night.

alkemical
10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I must need to find some hockey gals like some of you in here.

Anyone women want a nice guy who likes to drink beer, say bad words - likes sports and thinks women in sweatpants and a pony tail is the sexiest?

lol

Clockwork Orange
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, Buffalo is destroying Philly 9-1.

The Sabres are on a roll.

Mtbrncofn
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
I must need to find some hockey gals like some of you in here.

Anyone women want a nice guy who likes to drink beer, say bad words - likes sports and thinks women in sweatpants and a pony tail is the sexiest?
lol

Well normally that'd get me ( you know that,ames ;) ) but seeing as I'm already married, I'll have to pass.

What's the deal, no female sports fans back east?

Mtbrncofn
10-17-2006, 09:28 PM

I would have been embarassed if it was almost any other team. ;D One question though, why the hell didn't they pull Esche after he let the six in, in the second.....or maybe after the third in the second? That has to be absolutely humiliating. He had a really good 1st period too. Guess he used it all up then.

SoCalBronco
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Recchi: Malkin's style, ability like Lemieux's
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
Associated Press
Posted: 4 hours ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Mark Recchi dares to mention Evgeni Malkin in the same sentence as the one player in Pittsburgh Penguins history to whom almost no one is ever compared.

Yes, No. 66.
Malkin won't play his first shift, take his first shot, make his first pass until the Penguins face the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday. That didn't prevent Recchi and Sidney Crosby from bringing up the same name - Mario Lemieux - when they were asked how good the 20-year-old Russian center is.

"He's really good. He's going to be scary good," Recchi said Tuesday. "I hate to bring up this comparison, but I don't think we've seen anybody with his size who can skate like him and do as much as him. He's as close to Mario as we're going to see for a long time."

Recchi wasn't suggesting the 6-foot-4 Malkin will threaten to score 200 points in a season or average nearly 2 points per game for his career as Lemieux did before retiring in January for the second time.

Rather, it is how Malkin plays the game that, to Recchi, makes him resemble Lemieux. The uncanny ability to see a play develop before it occurs. To put a pass directly onto a stick through heavy traffic. To improvise and create a goal when there seems to be no possibility of doing so.

"Obviously, some people have tried to pass that torch along to other people, but the way he skates and sees the ice, he's the whole package," Recchi said.

Maybe a slightly taller version of Crosby, who had 102 points in his rookie year at age 18 last season?

"He's going to surprise people with how good he is," forward Colby Armstrong said. "He's got confidence with the puck, he's a smooth skater, he makes things happen with the puck, he can score. It seems like he scores every time he shoots on net (in practice)."

Malkin's NHL debut was delayed nearly a month by a dislocated left shoulder that occurred when he and teammate John LeClair collided behind the net during a Sept. 20 exhibition game. Malkin's recovery time was slightly faster than expected, and the Penguins have gone 2-2 without him.

They expect to be better now that he is playing, though there will be some nervousness on their part until Malkin shows he can take hits on his left shoulder without reinjuring it.

"My arm is in good shape, so everything is good. I just want to play hockey," said Malkin, speaking through an interpreter, defenseman Sergei Gonchar.

For now, Malkin will center the No. 2 line with Ryan Malone at left wing and Recchi on his right.

Crosby and Malkin likely will play together on the power play, where the Penguins are 12th in the NHL with a 19.2 percent conversion rate.

"I'm thinking selfishly, but I can't wait to play with him," Crosby said. "When you get a chance to play with someone like that, it's like it was with Mario - you don't know what's going to happen, but you know you're going to create something. With a creative mind like that, you don't know what to expect and it makes for an element of surprise."

Malkin was the No. 2 pick in the 2004 draft, one spot behind fellow Russian star Alexander Ovechkin. Malkin played last season for Magnitogorsk of the Russian Super League, but sneaked away from that team in August and made his way to the United States so he could play in the NHL.

Gonchar, who played with Ovechkin and Malkin on Russia's Olympic team last winter, said it is difficult to compare the two because their games are dissimilar. Ovechkin was the rookie of the year last season with 106 points for Washington.

"My personal feeling is Ovechkin is going to be like Pavel Bure, who's going to score a lot of goals and shoot the puck a lot," Gonchar said. "Evgeni, I see him as a Sergei Fedorov who plays well in both ends of the ice and kills penalties. He can do it all. He can score. He can create offense. He'll be there for you in an every-game situation. So it's really hard to say who is better."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6071870

I am so excited to watch him tomorrow night!!!! Coming home from work early again so I can see the full game.

Bronx33
10-17-2006, 10:25 PM

Man! i just looked at the scores what did philly do to piss em off? they were shooting thats for sure.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Caps play for the first time in forever tonight. Only the Caps, Pens and Jackets have played 4 games at this point.

alkemical
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
yeah we play like 2 games, then off for 22, then go on a big road trip.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Malkin debuts!

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Therrien starting the game with Crosby and Malkin on the same line...Crosby at left wing.

Malkin already laying some hits.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Back to the regular top two lines

armstrong-crosby-ekman
malone-malkin-recchi

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Fleury with a huge save

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Malkin came a few inches from his first NHL goal, deflecting a Whitney shot....just off the inside post.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Crosby being paired with Malkin again.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
MALKIN scores!!!!

Pokes it through Brodeur off a Recchi shot.

There was some pretty neat passing earlier between Malkin and Crosby back and forth, as well.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:28 PM
That was sweet, Malkin dancing around defenders.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Sidney is too tentative, he isn't shooting enough.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Malkin draws a penalty. Penguin PP.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
****, two great chances at a goal. Dammit.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Eaton saving a goal.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
langenbrunner scores.

2-1 NJ.

this isnt fair, we dont deserve to be losing this game.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
haha...malkin's slapshot breaks the glass.

Clockwork Orange
10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, would you look at that? The Avs plant TheOpenDoor on the bench and end up getting a 4-1 win over the Laffs. Budaj looked pretty sharp out there, I wouldn't mind seeing him get more starts, though I know that the Avs have to justify the $5 million they're paying to you-know-who.

Paul Stastny needs to put his suitcases in storage, he shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. He's been so solid in all three zones, there's no way the Avs can send him down.

alkemical
10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
yeah socal - too bad they lost - but WOW

Bronx33
10-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, would you look at that? The Avs plant TheOpenDoor on the bench and end up getting a 4-1 win over the Laffs. Budaj looked pretty sharp out there, I wouldn't mind seeing him get more starts, though I know that the Avs have to justify the $5 million they're paying to you-know-who.

Paul Stastny needs to put his suitcases in storage, he shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. He's been so solid in all three zones, there's no way the Avs can send him down.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20062007/GS020086.HTM

Looking at the numbers (didn't get to watch the game) but other than the bench minor it looks like Q addressed the stupid penalty crap we had the last game. If budaj can string some good games together and not give a goal on the first five shots it may force theo to pick up his game or he might be sitting the bench. As far as stastny is concerned if you running with duke and wolski already chances are you staying up in the bigs. (which i love)

Tredici
10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
The energy sure picks up when that line is in. It's hard to handle the speed.

And Budaj looked solid. At least he didn't let a chip shot bounce in off his shoulder. Funny, that doesn't seem to happen when you square off to the shooter.

Jose is far more interested in the highlight reel saves. Sliding across the goal and kicking out the puck. Very dramatic. Also fairly worthless if you've let a couple soft ones in the net already.

Clockwork Orange
10-18-2006, 11:59 PM
And Budaj looked solid. At least he didn't let a chip shot bounce in off his shoulder. Funny, that doesn't seem to happen when you square off to the shooter.

Or off his legpad, or his god damn glove. :moody:

Man, I still have a hard time believing what I saw in that Chicago game. I swear I saw better goaltending than that in my brother in-law's youth hockey games when he was 15.

Theo had better get right in a hurry, Ottawa's been struggling offensively so far this year, but they'll get well real quick if he's going to play at a level that would get some sent to the AHL again.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 01:05 AM
yeah socal - too bad they lost - but WOW

We really should have won this game. We finally got some shots on net. We wasted a great effort by Fleury, saving 32/34 and Malkin. Man he looked magical tonight, especially when he was with Crosby and Recchi. That's the only line this season that maintained puck possession and effectively executed the cycling system. Some great passes and chances. I was so pissed when Brodeur stole that goal from Crosby.

That kid Malkin is so huge out there, he looks bigger than 6'3'' to me and did u see how he was dancing around defenders...very shifty for a big kid and fast. I can see why some people think he will be better than Sid. He was hitting some guys on the boards too. Once we get some real wingers around these two kids, we'll score like crazy, but right now we've got some really poor excuses for NHL players at the wing positions and it is really hurting us big time.

Clockwork Orange
10-19-2006, 01:06 AM
SoCal, what's the story with Jordan Staal? Is he with the big club for good or is he just getting a trial run before he's sent back to juniors this season?

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 01:15 AM
SoCal, what's the story with Jordan Staal? Is he with the big club for good or is he just getting a trial run before he's sent back to juniors this season?

We don't know yet. It was a sure thing going into the season that he would only have his 9 game stint, but he is making the decision more difficult. He's doing an outstanding job on the PK unit and has played well generally. Coach Therrien wants him to stay, but I think Shero is still probably going to send him back to Peterborough, as we don't want him and Malkin to hit FA the same year down the line. I wish we'd keep him up though, even though he isn't very fast, at least in his first few steps, he has a great hockey sense and seems to be in the right spots...he could easily have 3 goals right now instead of 1.

I wish they'd just put him at wing already on one of the top two lines. We've got absolute crap there right now and its holding the whole team back. Get him off the 3rd and 4th line and just let him play with Crosby and Malkin, he can't possibly do any worse than Recchi, LeClair, Malone and Ekman. LeClair needs to retire, he is an absolute joke on the ice.

alkemical
10-19-2006, 07:44 AM
We really should have won this game. We finally got some shots on net. We wasted a great effort by Fleury, saving 32/34 and Malkin. Man he looked magical tonight, especially when he was with Crosby and Recchi. That's the only line this season that maintained puck possession and effectively executed the cycling system. Some great passes and chances. I was so pissed when Brodeur stole that goal from Crosby.

That kid Malkin is so huge out there, he looks bigger than 6'3'' to me and did u see how he was dancing around defenders...very shifty for a big kid and fast. I can see why some people think he will be better than Sid. He was hitting some guys on the boards too. Once we get some real wingers around these two kids, we'll score like crazy, but right now we've got some really poor excuses for NHL players at the wing positions and it is really hurting us big time.

Yeah i agree with some of our sad talent on W. I am a ryan malone fan - but at the same time i think he needs to go.

Malkin & Crosby might be able to learn from each other. Crosby needs to learn some paitence.

Fluery looks good this year too.

Mtbrncofn
10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
A solid W is very nice....finally.

Bronx33
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
A solid W is very nice....finally.

All even strength goals too.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Fleury shutting out the Isles so far, 2-0 Pens in the 2nd period.

Crosby with 2 assists, Malkin with 1.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Yashin scores on a nice pass off a 3 on 2.

2-1, Pens.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:04 PM
This is just ridiculous.

2 straight Isle PP goals

3-2 NYI

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Malkin scores. Assisted by Crosby. Sid drew a couple Isles behind the net and just flicked it out to Malkin who was waiting at the doorstep. It's really neat watching those two develop chemistry when they are out on the ice at the same time.

3-3 game.

So far on the night,
Malkin 1 G 1 A
Crosby 3 A

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Dunham with a nice save on Armstrong.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
****, we didnt need to take a penalty with 5 mins to go.

Come on gotta hold on and get at least a point.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Nice penalty kill.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Going to overtime. Penguins get a point on the road.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Islander penalty.

Come on guys, close this out.

Clockwork Orange
10-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Crosby gets away with a pretty blatant slash and then Ya$hin hooks Crosby and gets called for it.

I'd be outraged if I didn't hate Ya$hin. ;D

Malkin with 1 goal & 1 assist thus far. He appears to be as advertised.

SoCalBronco
10-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Gonchar scores!

Penguins win, 4-3.

Breck Bronc
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
The Avs have played two great games in back-to-back nights in eastern Canada. I'm pretty surprised how well they've played defensively. Budaj and Theodore didn't have to make a ton of tough saves either night, they just stopped the shots that came their way and were completely solid in net (too bad Theodore couldn't do this after Colorado's great 0-3 comeback on Monday night).

Brad Richardson is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He's so smart out there and definitely has some great speed. Speed and smarts will earn you a lot of money in hockey, plus Brad has good hands and offensive ability. Could he be the future captain when Sakic eventually hangs 'em up? I don't see any real captain-types on the roster right now, especially considering Joe will play for a few more seasons. I don't think Hejduk has the personality to wear the "C"; he had to be encouraged to take more of a leadership role this year. Maybe Liles, I don't know.

I said after the third game that Tyler Arnason had been very unimpressive when the Avs needed him to be a key contributor to have any success this season. Well, he's been awesome in the last 4 games. The individual move he made on an Ottawa defenseman where he eventually hit the post was one of the best plays you'll see all year; it's too bad the puck didn't go in for a highlight reel goal for Arny. He's got the talent, that's for sure. I hope he plays hard all year, which will be his biggest challenge.

Does anyone know why Peter Budaj has Ned Flanders holding the Slovak flag on the back of his helmet? Is he that big of a Ned Flanders fan ROFL! ?

It's frustrating having to wait for Jordan Leopold to make his Avalanche debut. We had to wait a while to see Theodore last season and now this. I hope Francois Giguere's next big trade as Colorado's GM involves players that are completely healthy.

I was browsing through some of my old pictures tonight and saw this photo I took when at the 2003 Young Stars Game down in Sunrise, Florida. I thought it was kind of funny how fast things have changed for the Avalanche.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/676/youngstarswesternconferencesmfy8.jpg

You've got former Blackhawk Tyler Arnason chatting with former Flame Jordan Leopold to the right of former Av David Aebischer. Former Coyote Ossi Vaananen is kind of obscured, but he's in there third from the left in Phoenix's old, ugly uniforms. I remeber that Ossi was walking somewhere in South Florida after the game (I think he was in Ft. Lauderdale) and was hit by an elderly driver. Only in SoFla!

24champ
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Kopitar with a Goal and assist so far against the 'Yotes. Game is in the second period. Going to be an interesting Calder race again this year.

Mtbrncofn
10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Great pic, Breck!

Great win tonight too. :thumbs:

Oh before I forget again, whatever happened to the new color guy? I thought Haynes was out and back to radio and that other guy in?

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 12:44 AM
The Avs have played two great games in back-to-back nights in eastern Canada. I'm pretty surprised how well they've played defensively. Budaj and Theodore didn't have to make a ton of tough saves either night, they just stopped the shots that came their way and were completely solid in net (too bad Theodore couldn't do this after Colorado's great 0-3 comeback on Monday night).

Brad Richardson is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He's so smart out there and definitely has some great speed. Speed and smarts will earn you a lot of money in hockey, plus Brad has good hands and offensive ability. Could he be the future captain when Sakic eventually hangs 'em up? I don't see any real captain-types on the roster right now, especially considering Joe will play for a few more seasons. I don't think Hejduk has the personality to wear the "C"; he had to be encouraged to take more of a leadership role this year. Maybe Liles, I don't know.

I said after the third game that Tyler Arnason had been very unimpressive when the Avs needed him to be a key contributor to have any success this season. Well, he's been awesome in the last 4 games. The individual move he made on an Ottawa defenseman where he eventually hit the post was one of the best plays you'll see all year; it's too bad the puck didn't go in for a highlight reel goal for Arny. He's got the talent, that's for sure. I hope he plays hard all year, which will be his biggest challenge.

Does anyone know why Peter Budaj has Ned Flanders holding the Slovak flag on the back of his helmet? Is he that big of a Ned Flanders fan ROFL! ?

It's frustrating having to wait for Jordan Leopold to make his Avalanche debut. We had to wait a while to see Theodore last season and now this. I hope Francois Giguere's next big trade as Colorado's GM involves players that are completely healthy.

I was browsing through some of my old pictures tonight and saw this photo I took when at the 2003 Young Stars Game down in Sunrise, Florida. I thought it was kind of funny how fast things have changed for the Avalanche.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/676/youngstarswesternconferencesmfy8.jpg

You've got former Blackhawk Tyler Arnason chatting with former Flame Jordan Leopold to the right of former Av David Aebischer. Former Coyote Ossi Vaananen is kind of obscured, but he's in there third from the left in Phoenix's old, ugly uniforms. I remeber that Ossi was walking somewhere in South Florida after the game (I think he was in Ft. Lauderdale) and was hit by an elderly driver. Only in SoFla!

Arnason has always had ability, his problems in Chicago & Ottawa reportedly stemmed from his love of the night life and subsequent lack of love for hard work in practice & games. His conditioning was poor and he looked to be going to the Alexander Daigle school of how to waste talent. Hopefully he's been humbled by having two teams give up on him in less than a year and the kind of effort we've seen from him these last few games is indicative of what he's going to bring to this team for the rest of the season.

alkemical
10-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Gonchar scores!

Penguins win, 4-3.

I agree on the crosby penalty that wasn't called. Ted Nolan's calling crosby a diver now. Whoohoo! Go F yourselves guys. He's no worse than floppa.

Bronx33
10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181285&hubname=nhl

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Marc Denis helped the Tampa Bay Lightning turn a pre-game sense of urgency into a much-needed victory.

Denis made 34 saves, and Ryan Craig and Ruslan Fedotenko scored second-period goals to help Tampa Bay beat the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on Thursday night.

"We knew we were facing a desperate hockey team, but it was more about this dressing room to be honest with you," Denis said. "We needed to find our identity and get back to our brand of hockey."

Denis lost his bid for his first shutout of the season and 16th overall when Sami Kapanen scored a short-handed goal with 4:12 left.
Related Info

* Flyers' Snider promises more changes
* Nedved, Dimitrakos clear and head to AHL
* McKenzie: Snider has his eyes on Flyers
* Highlights: TAM 4, PHI 1
* NHL Panel

"I think the most important thing that hopefully we can learn from this game as we move forward is, it's just about being accountable," Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella said. "Being accountable to yourself and your teammates."

The Lightning, who had lost four of five, also got third-period goals from Vinny Prospal and Nikita Alexeev. Tampa Bay has won nine straight games against the Flyers, outscoring Philadelphia 43-16.

"It's only good if we go in and do something good in Washington (Saturday)," said Tampa Bay center Brad Richards, who had two assists. "You've got to back these wins up."

Philadelphia center Peter Forsberg left in the first after spraining his left wrist. The Flyers' captain, who will miss Friday night's game at Florida, was hurt when he used his arm to brace himself against the boards. A team official said X-rays were negative.

"The hand got squeezed in the boards," Forsberg said. "I don't know exactly how it's going to take, but not too long. Hopefully, it's just a sprain and maybe a week or so."

Forsberg is scheduled to be re-examined by a specialist Friday in Orlando.

"We don't think it's broken," Philadelphia coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We'll have a better update in the next 24 hours."

Antero Niittymaki made 32 saves for the Flyers, who were coming off a 9-1 loss to Buffalo on Tuesday night. Philadelphia has dropped four in a row.

"We didn't capitalize on our chances," Hitchcock said. "There's a fine line between winning and losing right now."

Craig put the Lightning ahead 1-0 at 7:38 of the second when he made a waist-high deflection off a tipped pass from Richards. Criag left later in the second with a right knee injury and be re-examined Friday.

Fedotenko made it 2-0 on a rebound goal with 6:12 left in the second. Philadelphia has been outscored 15-6 during the second this season.

Notes: The Flyers sent C Petr Nedved and LW Niko Dimitrakos to Philadelphia of the AHL. Both had been placed on waivers Wednesday. .. Craig has four goals in three career games against Philadelphia. .. Flyers D Mike Rathje returned after missing five games with a back injury. .. Lightning C Andreas Karlsson (strained groin) played after sitting out five game.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree on the crosby penalty that wasn't called. Ted Nolan's calling crosby a diver now. Whoohoo! Go F yourselves guys. He's no worse than floppa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2633417

Here's the article in question with Nolan calling Crosby a diver.

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
****, it's hard to come by an answer in this forum.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
****, it's hard to come by an answer in this forum.

My bad. :)

The Avs apparently decided to run with the same group they had last year. Haynes is sticking with television (despite the talk about him going back to radio) with Peter McNab as the color commentator. The radio guys are Norm Jones on play by play and Curtis Leschyshyn (aka Leshiznit) on color.

I really wanted Haynes back on radio so that Norm could slide back into his more comfortable spot on color. Curtis does nothing for me at all in that role.

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, pay attention here. :) Thanks for the answer.

I love Haynes, so I'm not displeased with the decision, I was just curious as to what happened to the other guy that everyone was excited about this summer. The guy I cannot for the life of me think of his name, is the guy that trashed Karpotsev ( sp? Maybe ) on a broadcast.

Jori
10-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Great pic, Breck!

Great win tonight too. :thumbs:

Oh before I forget again, whatever happened to the new color guy? I thought Haynes was out and back to radio and that other guy in?

Apparently the Avs low-balled Pat Foley and he took a job as the Chicago Wolves play-by-play man.

Jori
10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Numbers switch!

Liles has gone back to the number he wore at Michigan State (4) and Paul Stastny will be wearing #26 ^5

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes! That was the guy I was thinking of. I had thought it was a done deal.

Thanks, Jori.

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Numbers switch!

Liles has gone back to the number he wore at Michigan State (4) and Paul Stastny will be wearing #26 ^5

Huh. It's going to be weird seeing little JM Liles wearing big ol Rob Blake's #. Gosh, that kinda sucks when your player just up and decides to change his #. I'm so gunshy of buying a jersey these days because of the 8, I have....only 1 player ( 2 jerseys ) are still with the damn team. Wait, I have Roy too, he doesn't count because he retired. :)

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Numbers switch!

I didn't know players were allowed to switch numbers during the season.

Either way, that's awesome that Stastny gets to wear his father's number. :thumbs:

Jori
10-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Huh. It's going to be weird seeing little JM Liles wearing big ol Rob Blake's #. Gosh, that kinda sucks when your player just up and decides to change his #. I'm so gunshy of buying a jersey these days because of the 8, I have....only 1 player ( 2 jerseys ) are still with the damn team. Wait, I have Roy too, he doesn't count because he retired. :)

I know what you mean...I have a #40 Tanguay jersey and a #37 Drury one.

Jori
10-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I didn't know players were allowed to switch numbers during the season.

Either way, that's awesome that Stastny gets to wear his father's number. :thumbs:

Only time I've seen it was because of trades. When Blake came on board Nolan Pratt switched to #44 from #4.

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 06:03 PM
My Hejduk jerseys and a Sakic practice jersey are the only ones I have that I wear now. I don't wear the Roy one much because the thing is HUGE. I could use it as a dress.

I have what I consider to be almost worthless now: 2 Forsbergs, Hinote, and Blake.

Bronx33
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I have (one jersey) a joe sakic ...................................nuff said!

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I should have just stuck with Joe from day one. :hitself:

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Only time I've seen it was because of trades. When Blake came on board Nolan Pratt switched to #44 from #4.

That is true, good catch.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 06:11 PM
I have what I consider to be almost worthless now: 2 Forsbergs, Hinote, and Blake.

:nono:

Nothing wrong with honoring the greats of the Avs past......and Dan Hinote, too. ;D

Jens1893
10-20-2006, 06:17 PM
I take it Stastny getting a new number is a sign that the Avs arenīt planning to send him down?

Edit: When did Wojtek Wolski come to North America? Surprised heīs listed as Canadian.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
I take it Stastny getting a new number is a sign that the Avs arenīt planning to send him down?

I wouldn't say that, though I will say that he hasn't given them any reason to send him down.

Unless his play drops off dramatically in the next couple of weeks, the only thing that's going to get him sent to Albany is politics.

The best thing the Avs could do would be to talk Turgeon into staying on IR for the season.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Edit: When did Wojtek Wolski come to North America? Surprised heīs listed as Canadian.

Wolski and his family moved from Poland to Canada when he was four years old.

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Whoever had 7 in the "How many games before Forsberg gets hurt" pool, please come collect your prize. :moody:

Bronx33
10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Whoever had 7 in the "How many games before Forsberg gets hurt" pool, please come collect your prize. :moody:

I never called a number (i don't think) but with peters style of play it was just a matter of time when somebody would jack something up on him, now is PL concidered a genius sending forsberg down the road?

Clockwork Orange
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
now is PL concidered a genius sending forsberg down the road?

It would have been a lot easier for most to take had they managed to keep Adam Foote in the process. Losing both of them really burned some of the trust and good will the Avs had built with their fanbase.

Bronx33
10-20-2006, 10:03 PM
It would have been a lot easier for most to take had they managed to keep Adam Foote in the process. Losing both of them really burned some of the trust and good will the Avs had built with their fanbase.

Yep but that feeling i had when we had forsberg and he couldn't play is gone, but sadly has been replaced by leopold. :wiggle:

Mtbrncofn
10-20-2006, 11:06 PM
:nono:

Nothing wrong with honoring the greats of the Avs past......and Dan Hinote, too. ;D

I'm hanging onto the 'the ones' just in case. If he ever comes back, even if it's just to retire as an Av....I'll be fine with it. If not, I don't know what to do with them. Isn't there any other Av fan that feels the way I do about this? I know I'm alone on the board about it, but sheesh, there's got to be someone else out there!

I'm always afraid that if I wear a jersey of someone who's been traded, someone is going to laugh and point and think I'm some moron who's walking around in a jersey of someone who's been traded and is oblivious to it.

Huh, maybe I should just pretend I'm oblivious to it anyway. Yeah.

24champ
10-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Here is a big hit a Kings player (Sopel) put on a 'yote. :approve:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1785838732817200997

Notice you will see his helmet fly off...:~ohyah!:

alkemical
10-21-2006, 10:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2633417

Here's the article in question with Nolan calling Crosby a diver.

Yeah - It's ok Nolan - i understand - maybe when you get fired at NYI you can come and do crosby's laundry.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah - It's ok Nolan - i understand - maybe when you get fired at NYI you can come and do crosby's laundry.

Maybe before Ted starts complaining about the integrity of others, he should stop ****ing his players wives.

Bronx33
10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181299&hubname=nhl

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20061019/yelle_81233.jpg

BOSTON (AP) - Calgary forward Stephane Yelle was taken off the ice on a stretcher because of an ankle injury Thursday night after falling backward and being pushed into the boards by Bruins defenceman Jason York.

''He went into the boards awkwardly and he jammed up his ankle,'' Flames coach Jim Playfair said. ''He'll fly home with us tonight and we will get it checked out.''

Yelle, injured late in the second period, is in his 11th season in the NHL.

''You really don't know what to think when something like that happens,'' Flames forward Jeff Friesen said. ''It deflated us and we obviously had a letdown.''

Boston won the game 3-2.

Bronx33
10-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Man i completely missed snider putting three players on waivers and nedved was one of them,stupid knee jerk reaction?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181262&hubname=nhl

The Philadelphia Flyers turned some heads Wednesday when the team placed defenceman Nolan Baumgartner and forwards Niko Dimitrakos and Petr Nedved on waivers - less than a day after a humiliating 9-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres.

And even with a roster shakeup that saw general manager Bob Clarke call up skaters Ben Eager, Alexandre Picard and Stefan Ruzicka, the Flyers are apparently far from finished.

"We have a lot more to do," team chairman Ed Snider told the Philadelphia Daily News.

"I've got to evaluate and analyze the entire situation. This is just a start. I need a complete understanding of exactly what's going on. I have no idea what's going to happen next and I don't want to speculate as to what I'm going to do. But this is a start. I've got to evaluate this. I have ideas and theories, but I'm going to straighten this out. We started right after the game (Tuesday) night in determining what we have to do and waiving these three players, but this is only a minimal start."
Related Info

* Flyers seek redemption on TSN
* Nedved, Dimitrakos clear and head to AHL
* McKenzie: Snider has his eyes on Flyers

Snider also pointed out that despite their recent stuggles, his team has a solid core of youth and veteran talent.

"I don't know what is wrong, but I do know something is wrong and I know it's not simply our players," Snider told the paper. "I see how (Simon) Gagne is playing, I see how (Jeff) Carter and (Mike) Richards and (R.J.) Umberger are playing, I see what Forsberg is going through and I know how they are all capable of playing. They didn't suddenly go brain dead."

"I'm devastated, really. I'm embarrassed. And I'm going to look at everything, starting with me. It's a real rough situation and it's upsetting. The one good thing is it's happening now, it's fixable. To me, everything is fixable and we're not going to rest until we fix it."

Bronx33
10-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Is a mildly strained groin even possiable?

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/756928.html

ANAHEIM, CALIF. - The aftershocks of the earthquake that registered 4.5 on the Richter Scale in Northern California Friday morning seemed to trickle down to Southern California Friday night.

Or, that tremor inside the Honda Center was just the Wild falling back down to Earth.

Any dreams of an 82-0, 164-point Wild season were put to pasture Friday night in the O.C. when a hard-working Anaheim Ducks squad handed the Wild its first defeat, 2-1.

But the Wild has a whole lot more to worry about than one simple loss.

With the Wild already playing without checkers Wes Walz and Pascal Dupuis, right wing Marian Gaborik didn't play most of the third period with what the team called a "mild groin strain."
One problem, though.

There's no such thing as a "mild" groin strain when it comes to Gaborik.

Last year's leading goal scorer has had a history of abdominal problems, having surgery for a sports hernia in 2001 and missing all of last season's training camp and 17 games because of two separate groin injuries.

Gaborik has seemed to be laboring lately. He was limping badly after practice Thursday with his left groin wrapped. Asked if he was OK, Gaborik brushed it off as routine treatment to keep on top of his groin problems.

So upset after Friday's game, Gaborik, on the trainers table getting treatment, declined comment.

"I saw him limping and that's it," coach Jacques Lemaire said. "He'll be reevaluated [today]."

The Wild, which was looking to become the 10th team in NHL history to win at least its first seven games after the Buffalo Sabres became the ninth earlier in the evening, put forth a blue-collar effort Friday night but never could get the breaks that continually fell at its feet during the season's first six games.

"If we bring that intensity, we'll give ourselves a chance to win every night," said goalie Manny Fernandez, who stopped 27 of 29 shots after allowing four goals in his previous four wins. Defensemen Scott Niedermayer and Sean O'Donnell, the Wild's first captain, scored for the Ducks (5-0-2), and goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere resembled the unforgiving brick wall the Wild got to know well during the 2003 Western Conference Finals with 27 saves.

It was a game in which the 6-1 Wild had to deal with either Niedermayer or fellow Norris Trophy winner Chris Pronger on the ice virtually every shift. It was certainly a physical battle, and somehow, with Gaborik likely out, the Wild must find its legs with its first back-to-back test tonight at San Jose.

"That's why we added so much depth this summer," captain Brian Rolston said. "We've got plenty of guys that can do the job."

Fernandez had to work hard, expending more energy sliding back and forth across the paint because the Ducks often slid the puck just wide of the cage.

The teams also had a difficult time all night getting the puck to sit. It bounced around like a ping-pong ball thanks to choppy ice likely due to the 89-degree daytime weather outside.

Minnesota's power play couldn't get anything going. It went 0-for-5.

It couldn't find a way to beat Giguere with a man advantage, mostly because Anaheim did a marvelous job limiting the Wild's time and space with the most aggressive penalty kill the Wild has seen thus far.

"Their PK is coming and coming," Rolston said. "We got a good look at their PK before the game, and we didn't realize they came as hard as they did. But we still had good opportunities. I thought we played well, and we'll get better."

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Sergei ****ing Gonchar.

Now this is what I was expecting. He has 2 goals so far about halfway through the first period and had the GW goal two ngihts ago too.

Malkin with an assist so far.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Another penalty on Columbus.

Sweet. 4th in a row against them.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Fleury with a huge save, man that was point blank.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Columbus shot off the post...we got lucky there.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Jordan Staal with his 2nd shorthanded goal of the year. 3-2 Pittsburgh, near the end of the second period.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Glad to get out of that period with the lead, we were getting torched there in that second period, but Fleury held up against the Columbus onslaught.

Jens1893
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Is Theodore as bad as the stat line suggests? If the guy canīt get fired up for his return to Montreal, will he ever?

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 07:43 PM
That was ****ing sweet.....Crosby right to Malkin..Goal.

Malkin's 3rd goal of the year in 3 games. He also has an assist tonight.

That was such a nice play.

4-2 Pittsburgh in the 3rd. We are unstoppable on the power play with both those kids on the ice. 3-6 tonight on the PP.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Is Theodore as bad as the stat line suggests? If the guy canīt get fired up for his return to Montreal, will he ever?

He's a bum.

I'm officially joining the goalie controversy train. Start Budaj.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Jordan Staal with his second goal of the night on a penalty shot.

5-2.

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Yes. He was a goddamned sieve tonight. Jeez. Him and his pal Brainfart Breezeblow. :cuss:

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Malkin almost had another goal.

He's ****ing raping.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Another power play....time for another goal.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Columbus with a PP goal on the 5 on 3.

Zherdev.

Some nice passing down low.

Come on, kill off the rest of it.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Not another penalty, give me a break.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Any chance they throw TheOpenDoor's sorry ass under the bus the way they did Aebischer? Of course not, he's Lacroix's boy, he's made of teflon as far as they're concerned.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Fleury is really having a great night.

Jens1893
10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Any chance they throw TheOpenDoor's sorry ass under the bus the way they did Aebischer? Of course not, he's Lacroix's boy, he's made of teflon as far as they're concerned.

Is there any ****ing chance anyone is gonna take on his contract?

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Phew...game over.

PIT 5 CLM 3.

Malkin 1 G 1 A
Staal 2 G
Crosby 1 A
Gonchar 2 G
Fleury 36 saves.

Sweet, back above .500 at 4-3.

SoCalBronco
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Gotta give something to get something.

He only has a year left on that deal though, right? So I don't think he'd be impossible to move, but you'd still prolly have to give up something fairly substantial.

Be happy that he isn't on a 15 year contract. :)

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 08:27 PM
SoCal, tone down the giddiness a bit would ya? Some of us are grieving here. :P

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Gosh, normally it'd make me feel better to see someone like Marty Brodeur give up 8 too.....not really helping tonight.

Start Budaj. Please. :pray:

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 08:45 PM

No chance in hell. No one's taking on his contract. The Avs are stuck with him until the 2008-09 season.

Lord knows they'll probably give him a contract extension before then and tell everyone what a great guy he is.

****ing nauseating. I never wanted this loser here in the first place.

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
****ing nauseating. I never wanted this loser here in the first place.

I second the motion.

24champ
10-21-2006, 09:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bataCpJnkyU

Awesome goal from Kopitar, you won't see this on ESPN because they are too busy sucking Malkins ****.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bataCpJnkyU

Awesome goal from Kopitar, you won't see this on ESPN because they are too busy sucking Malkins ****.

Alexander Semin has been just as good as both of them, if not better.

24champ
10-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Alexander Semin has been just as good as both of them, if not better.

Agree 7 goals and 2 assists is impressive especially in 6 games. Another young gun to look after is on the Nashville Predators they called up Alexander Radulov.

Jens1893
10-21-2006, 09:40 PM
heres an idea if clockwork wants to change his ava

http://img.bleskovky.sk/big/69642.jpg/peter-budaj.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Agree 7 goals and 2 assists is impressive especially in 6 games.

8 and 3 through 7 games now