PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v3.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Hercules Rockefeller
06-07-2007, 01:03 AM
pfffffft - Mr. Crosby's name will be on the cup next year.

McDonald's in KC plan to sell special Crosby cups with extra value meals next year?

chadta
06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
McDonald's in KC plan to sell special Crosby cups with extra value meals next year?

Hilarious!

congrats john pez an the other ducks fans, im not one, but i enjoyed watching them play, kinda reminded me of what hockey used to be like, ahhhhhh the good old days.

Now ive gotta go edit my sig pic for al wilson for next season, speaking of al, he shot his mouth of in here expecting everybod to kiss ottawa ass when they took out buffalo, where is he now ? ROFL!

Pezman
06-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Meh, be happy for the wifey of mine Chadra ;D
My blood still runs Avs crimson red!

I am happy for Teemu and Neidermeyer's brother for finally getting a cup. And for the real Ducks fans who were supporting the team through the years. Its the bandwagon scum, Brian Burke and a few others I'm wishing didnt get the glory.

Jori
06-07-2007, 02:27 AM
Congrats to the Ducks; phenominal run.

I'm sure Brian Burke's head will double in size during the off-season. Sucks it didn't work out in Colorado with Selanne, but despite the disappointing results in 03-04, I am happy for him. Great to see "Special Nieds" get his ring. Congrats to former Avs draftee Sami Pahlsson. We hardly knew you in Colorado. You were the key piece in the Ray Bourque trade. We got our Cup in 01, you got yours this year and the Bruins look like the real fools ROFL!

NHL Draft is two weeks from Friday...here's to Nick Petrecki, Billy Sweatt or Lars Eller donning a burgundy and royal blue sweater :strong:

Clockwork Orange
06-07-2007, 02:37 AM
NHL Draft is two weeks from Friday...here's to Nick Petrecki, Billy Sweatt or Lars Eller donning a burgundy and royal blue sweater :strong:

Here's to hoping the Avs break tradition and use some of that extra ammo to trade up. :~ohyah!:

broncocalijohn
06-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Huh, that was disappointing. Oh well, congrats bcj.

I will let Burke know that you are proud of him. Just got back from the game and was sweeeeet. I even got my ticket upgrade and used my trick to get someone in before the 3rd period for $100. He offered $200 but I felt in the giving mood. He came all alone from Utah just to try to get into the game. There he was looking through the window getting ready to watch the 3rd period when I saved him from the outside looking in. See Pez, I could have got you in cheap.

24, If AEG keeps spreading their company all around, you can guarantee that they wont give a rat's A$$ about getting the Kings to the level that the Ducks are on. You are going to continue to be like what the Disney Clan thought of their Ducks team.

24champ
06-07-2007, 03:22 AM
24, If AEG keeps spreading their company all around, you can guarantee that they wont give a rat's A$$ about getting the Kings to the level that the Ducks are on. You are going to continue to be like what the Disney Clan thought of their Ducks team.

John, normally I would get into it but tonight I just don't feel like it...congrats though.

chadta
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Here's to hoping the Avs break tradition and use some of that extra ammo to trade up. :~ohyah!:

honestly i dunno that there is anything worth trading up for, the flyers have the 2nd pick, cuz they were so bad last year they even lost the draft, and there is no real clear cut choice for them to make, i wouldnt mind trading down.

Jori
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I agree. This is a good draft to have multiple picks as there is good depth, but not the super high end talent of the last few drafts. I'll be very happy if the Avs can get Petrecki, Sweatt or Eller at #14. Even Ryan McDonaugh would be a nice pick.

chadta
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
notice i fixed my sig ROFL!

24champ
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Alright, so I am going to revisit this post and break it down for you about AEG and mangement, John. Yes AEG is a real estate company and they are always looking for assets to acquire. They operate all over the world, including the Arena the O2 in London that the Kings and Ducks will open the season at.

Now the jury is still out on AEG and I feel the BIGGEST mistake they made was letting Tim Lewieke be in charge of the Kings. Dave Taylor had to seek approval for trades, signings etc from Lewieke who really has no hockey sense. I am almost positive that most in this thread know more about hockey than Mr. Lewieke. Now before AEG came along we had serious problems with Ownership and while McNall was and still is a crooked SOB, he was the only one that actually cared about fielding a championship team. Now bag on McNall all you want, but actually if it weren't for McNall the Ducks would not be in Anaheim period and would not be hoisting the Cup last night. So thank the Kings for letting you guys set up shop down the I-5. I hope you Duck fans Appreciate what the Cup means, even though I doubt 99% of Duck fans know what it stands for.

Back to AEG, they bought the Kings and while in the process of buying the team, they acquire land in Downtown LA and built what is now the Staples Center and also built the state of the art practice facility now called the Toyota Sports Center in 2000 which has two NHL size rinks at the facility. Not only did they completely build new arenas and facilities for the Kings, they went out and bought minor league teams. First being the Manchester Monarchs and second the Reading Royals. They pumped in a lot of money in this organization and I am not sure who else would have done the same.

Then last year the Kings fired Dave Taylor and hired Dean Lombardi. Tim Lewieke is not in charge anymore, thank god. Dean has full control over the organization. Dean actually interviewed everyone in the organization (including the equipment manager etc) and wanted to find out just what the hell made this Kings team fall from the top of the Western Conference in the middle of last season to not making the playoffs. So now Dean canned a lot of people and brought in people that would fit in with his philosophy, and he is still working on that to this day mainly with the scouts in Europe and the whole idea is to be 100% ready by the 2008 draft.

They are prepared for this coming draft, but Dean has stated that the scouting dept. isn't where he wants it to be yet. So Dean is all about acquiring assets and building for the future, which explains his moves. Now I know Cloutier and Blake's contract were pathetic but not every GM is perfect. After evaluating the roster and deciding that it isn't going to compete for a championship, Dean went out and got a first round pick (Trevor Lewis), top prospect in Patrick Sullivan, Generational talent in Jack MF Johnson, a born leader in Marc Andre-Cliche, and a gigantic pile of draft picks for the next 2 coming drafts. All those moves have made the Kings the NUMBER ONE organization in the HF organizational rankings. Never mind that our top 3 points leaders are under 25( Kopitar 19 years of age, Cammy is 24, Frolov is 24. Dustin Brown is another good solid player who is 23. How many teams do you know that have that much young talent? Penguins? Not to mention we have the number four pick in this draft. Here is the total number of picks in these two upcoming drafts (note: Dean is gearing up for the 2008 draft, considered to be a very deep draft.)

1: LA
2: acquired from Vancouver for Sopel (LA's choice 2007 or 2008)
2: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
3: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
4: acquired from Calgary for Conroy
5: acquired from Tampa Bay for Ward
5: LA
6: LA
7: LA
7: acquired from Columbus during the 2006 draft

2007 summary

1 1st
2 2nds (possible)
1 3rd
1 4th
2 5ths
1 6th
2 7ths

1: LA
1: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
2: LA
2: acquired from Vancouver for Sexy Sopel (LA's choice 2007 or 2008)
2: acquired from Calgary for Conroy
3: LA
4: LA
4: acquired from Tampa Bay for Munce
4: acquired from Vancouver for Sexy Sopel
5: LA
6: LA
7: LA

2008 summary

2 1sts
3 2nds (possible)
1 3rd
3 4ths
1 5th (Possibly given up for Heward. Conditions unknown)
1 6th
1 7th

I haven't even gotten to the Kings Cap situation, which is great and should be fine to resign Kopitar, JMFJ etc in the future. Now looking at the Ducks and from what I hear you guys should brace for some retirements. Selanne was weeping like it was his last game and he is 37, Pronger and Neidermayer have a few seasons left, depending on whether Scott is going to retire or not. I know some of you are like what? Check this out-

Two hours after the game, the Niedermayer brothers still in full uniform appeared with their families and sat on the bench to soak in the moment. After a while, Scott and his wife went out to center ice for a private moment. There have been whispers that Niedermayer might consider retirement, and the way he was capturing that moment with his wife really gave me reason to think about that.

Now, I don't expect the Ducks to sink into mediocrity next season, they'll still be good. But 2-3 seasons down the line when we're looking much stronger, I doubt the path will look as rosey for the Ducks at that time. It's gonna be hard for them to retain all of their top players unless they all sign for the minimum and refuse to test the market. Giguere, Neidermeyer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne. That's a good amount of great players that are earning their pay raises as we speak.

Al Wilson
06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Now ive gotta go edit my sig pic for al wilson for next season, speaking of al, he shot his mouth of in here expecting everybod to kiss ottawa ass when they took out buffalo, where is he now ? ROFL!
I've always been here. Why would I not reply? The Sens lost to a better team, and I'm not gonna cry about it. Keep up with the sigs because I really don't mind them at all. I know you're hurt that your pathetic flyers are a bunch of losers that sucked all year long, so jealousy is expected. I'm proud of the Sens. Everyone thought they would not be in the playoffs by December, and they actually ended up going to the Finals. I thought Alfie deserved conn smythe even though they lost. Gratz to ducks fans (if there is any hehe), your team deserved to win.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
That's the first time I've ever seen Jack Johnson called a generational talent. He's a future #1, but he's not a generational player.

24champ
06-08-2007, 10:14 PM
That's the first time I've ever seen Jack Johnson called a generational talent. He's a future #1, but he's not a generational player.

He is a generational talent when I see people over at the HFBoards saying his style of game is like Ray Bourque's and he will be a superstar. I tend to think his game is more on par like Scott Stevens, with better offensive skills. How many NHL teams do you know that offer a college player a boatload of money and promising playing time as the NHL team gets ready for the playoffs? It happened with Jack Johnson and the Hurricanes last year.

And also how many NHL players do you know....

That eat with Lions...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/lion_knp-0177m.jpg

Part the Red Sea....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/artwork.jpg

Climb the empire state building....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/kong23222.jpg

stars in sci-fi thrillers....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/photo04.jpg

Has his own video game...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/MikeTysonsPunch-Out-Ingame2.jpg

(for SOCAL!)Scares the crap out of Sid the Kid....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bigjoeltd/43ccaab99349e-95-2.jpg

Clearly I am right...he is a generational talent.;)

24champ
06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Now THIS is sad...one being there was no Parade, just some lame BBQ hosted by weinershnitzel. Two being that people in Anaheim don't know who the Ducks are. Three the Ducks get about one minute of coverage on the local news while the rest is devoted to Paris Hilton.:spit:

Fame is fleeting for the Ducks
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
June 7, 2007

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- The Anaheim Ducks had their moment in the Southern California spotlight. Because of Paris Hilton, that's pretty much all it was -- a moment.

Hilton's release from jail early Thursday subjugated the Ducks to afterthought status just hours after they reached the pinnacle of their sport -- winning the Stanley Cup.

That's the curse of being a team struggling for an identity outside of its hard-core following, and in an area where celebrity rules.

Star goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere admitted he can go to dinner or hit the mall without much fanfare. Teammate Ryan Getzlaf said Canada is "a whole different world" when it comes to the popularity of his sport.

"I live right there and I didn't even know they were playing. That's sad," said Sherrie Robertson, a 34-year-old housewife lined up for the $6 early-bird special at the All-Cloth Anaheim West Car Wash on Thursday. "Southern California and ice, they just don't mix, do they?"

Perhaps a bit more now after the Ducks beat the Ottawa Senators 6-2 on Wednesday night to win the NHL best-of-seven championship series in five games and become the first California team to win the cherished Cup.

"I have a bunch of friends who never watch hockey, and now they're watching it, calling me after the game," Robert Isambert, a 20-year-old student from nearby San Clemente, said some three hours before Wednesday night's game as he scrambled to buy a ticket in the parking lot.

The Ducks sold out their final 22 regular-season home games and all 13 home playoff games.

Giguere tried to be diplomatic when asked about the difference between the people in Anaheim and Ottawa.

"It's not the same. Ottawa is such a small town," he said. "They have only one professional team. But hockey's well and alive in this part of the country."

Giguere paused when asked about fan recognition when he's out and about.

"A little bit," he replied. "It's getting more and more."

Getzlaf said much the same thing.

"It's gotten better throughout the year. The NHL's so big in Canada; I'm sure we would be recognized there," he said.

Athletes like the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, the Angels' Vladimir Guerrero or the Dodgers' Derek Lowe, for example, would find it impossible to spend much time in public without being approached by numerous fans.

"Nobody in California cares about hockey," Brian Mylius, a construction worker from Buffalo, N.Y., said near Venice beach. "It's a great sport, but people don't get it. All they want to talk about is the Lakers and Kobe."

Sean O'Donnell, who played for the Los Angeles Kings before joining the Ducks, doesn't see it that way at all.

"Everyone talks about 'hockey market this,' and "hockey market that.' The energy around Orange County for this, and the Kings fans when the Kings were doing well, it's just a great hockey market," he said. "There's so many people here that you're not going to get the same energy you would in a small Canadian city, but it's a great hockey place and I'm so happy I've been able to play here for eight or nine years now with L.A. and the Ducks."

In downtown Los Angeles, attorney Mike Colmenarez said he believes Anaheim's championship will give hockey a boost locally.

"I haven't been to a hockey game in more than 20 years, but we'll probably go see a Ducks game now," said Colmenarez, a resident of Orange County. "Anaheim is a small market. That's why the Angels call themselves the Los Angeles Angels."

The Angels were known as the Anaheim Angels nearly five years ago when they won their first and only World Series championship before being honored with a parade from the hockey arena to the parking lot of Angels Stadium.

There won't be a parade for the Ducks -- instead, a two-hour rally is planned Saturday night at the Honda Center.

Jan Matson said at the Anaheim car wash that her neighbors went wild with lawn signs and car decorations when the Angels made the playoffs two years ago.

Not so for the Ducks.

"In our neighborhood, the Angels are a much bigger deal," she said.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Any of last year's top 5 would have been the clear-cut #1 overall if available this year.

24champ
06-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Saw this coming a mile away...

They've only had it for a few days, but the Ducks have already
managed to put a good-sized dent into the "Holy Grail of Hockey".
The puncture was reportedly caused by Chris Pronger's elbow.

http://www.letsgokings.com/images/custom/StanleyCupDent.jpg

Ducks owners display damaged goods.

:nono: :pity:

Mtbrncofn
06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Geez, way to go, Ducks. Good Lord, man!

bronco militia
06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
ha ha

check out the logo....no photoshop required

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3575/prongerlolyi5.jpg

Mtbrncofn
06-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Bwahaahahahahaha!

Tredici
06-13-2007, 02:53 AM
I lived/worked in the LA Area for about 8 years. Got a note from one of my friends there yesterday who said. A Stanley Cup for Southern Cal and he only knew one person who was mildly interested. -- Another one of our old colleagues who is a King's fan...

I remember we had seats to the old Forum. When the Lakers or Kings were winning our phones rang all the time. When they were losing we literally couldn't give the tickets away.

Oh well, the good thing is, while a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because they hear theres a winner in the neighborhood the sport will grab ahold of a few of them and they'll cheer or curse from this point on.

broncocalijohn
06-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Ducks Sign Moen and Parros
June 12, 2007
The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed left wing Travis Moen and right wing George Parros each to two-year contract extensions. Both players are now under contract through the end of the 2008-2009 season. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deals were disclosed.
Moen, 25 (4/6/82), appeared in all 21 games of Anaheim’s 2007 Stanley Cup Championship run, scoring 7-5=12 points with 22 penalty minutes (PIM). The Stewart Valley, Sask. native finished T-1st on the Ducks in game-winning goals (3) during the playoffs and T-2nd in the NHL. In 82 regular season games with the Ducks, Moen scored 11-10=21 points with 101 PIM, setting career highs in goals, assists and points.
Moen was acquired from Chicago in exchange for Michael Holmqvist on July 30, 2005. He was drafted by Calgary in the fifth round (155th overall) of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.
Parros, 27 (12/29/79), played in five games for the Ducks in the 2007 playoffs, going scoreless. In 32 regular season games for the Ducks, he scored 1-0=1 point with a team-leading 102 penalty minutes (PIM). The Ducks posted an overall record of 20-8-4 this season when Parros appeared in a game.
Parros was acquired from Colorado with future considerations in exchange for a second-round draft pick in the 2007 Entry Draft on Nov. 13, 2007. Parros was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the eighth round (222nd overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

broncocalijohn
06-13-2007, 05:10 AM
I lived/worked in the LA Area for about 8 years. Got a note from one of my friends there yesterday who said. A Stanley Cup for Southern Cal and he only knew one person who was mildly interested. -- Another one of our old colleagues who is a King's fan...

I remember we had seats to the old Forum. When the Lakers or Kings were winning our phones rang all the time. When they were losing we literally couldn't give the tickets away.

Oh well, the good thing is, while a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because they hear theres a winner in the neighborhood the sport will grab ahold of a few of them and they'll cheer or curse from this point on.

Champ you rip the OC on our ducks but i wonder what LA would be like. First, if a parade was to be had, they would have to cancel it as they would still be cleaning the streets from bonfires, tipped cars, broken glass, trash (probably there b4 the game anyways) and scoop up the murdered. Cops had no problem after the win and very few problems when the Angels won it. Yes, Denver came out with huge numbers for the Avs. Hardly any native californian grew to like hockey based on the teams playing not having it as a youngster. Baseball covers whites and mexicans here in OC. I didnt see too many Latinos being at the game and a few coming for the free celebration party. And yes, the wieners and sodas were good! Pennywise and The Blasters played so there! And we had the governator there also.

Concerning signings, we are loaded at goalie and francois is still young. Cap will be going up so i wont worry about our stud sophomores for awhile.

Killericon
06-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Calgary Flames to hire Mike Keenan as new Head Coach. (http://www.news1130.com/news/sports/article.jsp?content=s061399A)

Playfair to remain on staff.

24champ
06-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Champ you rip the OC on our ducks but i wonder what LA would be like. First, if a parade was to be had, they would have to cancel it as they would still be cleaning the streets from bonfires, tipped cars, broken glass, trash (probably there b4 the game anyways) and scoop up the murdered.

At least King fans would be passionate about the Kings winning the cup....instead of the couple golf claps that I saw from Duck fans in the stands when they won the cup. As far as the scooping the murdered....well the world is a better place with less duck fans.:spit:

Clockwork Orange
06-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Chris Gratton returns for his third tour of duty with the Lightning, traded from the Panthers for a 2nd round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210735&hubname=nhl

That's a steal for the Panthers.

Jori
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Calgary Flames to hire Mike Keenan as new Head Coach. (http://www.news1130.com/news/sports/article.jsp?content=s061399A)

Playfair to remain on staff.

Can't imagine Huselius is too thrilled.

Clockwork Orange
06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Can't imagine Huselius is too thrilled.

Can't imagine Flames fans are either.

Jori
06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Award winners announced (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318418)
All-Star Teams (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318411)
All-Rookie Team (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318386)

Sakic Action Figure:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318372

Clockwork Orange
06-14-2007, 11:06 PM
The awards have been handed out.

Hart Trophy
Winner: Sidney Crosby (he also won the Pearson & Art Ross)

Crosby 1,225 (91)
Luongo 801 (25)
Brodeur 763 (21)
Lecavalier 362 (5)
Thornton 230
Lidstrom 53 (1)
Niedermayer 45
Sakic 44
Selanne 36
Hossa 35

Norris Trophy
Winner: Nicklas Lidstrom

Lidstrom 1,217 (87)
Niedermayer 1,024 (46)
Pronger 608 (6)
Boyle 219 (1)
Timonen 144
Phaneuf 98
Gonchar 85
Souray 67
Zubov 42
Campbell 42

Vezina Trophy
Winner: Martin Brodeur

Brodeur 122 (16)
Luongo 116 (14)
Kiprusoff 7
Lundqvist 7
Hasek 5
Backstrom 4
Miller 4
DiPietro 2
Giguere 2
Mason 1

Adams Trophy
Winner: Alain Vigneault

Vigneault 134
Ruff 126
Therrien 91
Trotz 89
Nolan 47
Babcock 40
Lemaire 32
Carlyle 20
Tippett 17
Murray 15

Calder Trophy
Winner: Evgeni Malkin

Malkin 1,357 points (120 first-place votes)
Stastny 965 points (16)
Staal 565 (6)
Kopitar 417
Penner 107
Vlasic 96 (1)
Carle 95
Wolski 30
Radulov 23
Zajac 13

(whoever gave a 1st place vote to Vlasic should have their vote taken away)

Selke Trophy
Winner: Rod Brind'Amour

Brind`Amour 420 pts (16-21-7-23-9)
Sam Pahlsson 405 (24-8-18-4-7)
Jay Pandolfo 311 (16-10-10-7-10)

1st team All-Stars:
LW Alexander Ovechkin
C Sidney Crosby
RW Dany Heatley
D Scott Niedermayer
D Nicklas Lidstrom
G Martin Brodeur

2nd team
LW Thomas Vanek
C Vincent Lecavalier
RW Martin St. Louis
D Chris Pronger
D Dan Boyle (Huh? Really?)
G Roberto Luongo

All-Rookie Team
F Evgeni Malkin
F Paul Stastny
F Jordan Staal
D Matt Carle
D Marc-Edward Vlasic

Pavel Datsyuk wins the Lady Byng (don't disrespect the Byng!)
Saku Koivu wins the King Clancy
Phil Kessel wins the Masterson

24champ
06-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Must be nice to be raking in dough and the ladies vinny and Doan.Ha!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/dc/fullj.getty-74562581cp016_2007_nhl_awar_8_04_39_pm.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/bc/fullj.getty-74562581cp015_2007_nhl_awar_8_02_02_pm.jpg

24champ
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Agent believes Theodore will return

Thursday, Jun 14, 2007 3:07 pm EDT
Jose Theodore

Getty Images

Colorado Avalanche goalie Jose Theodore is due to make $6 million next season, a fair amount of cash for a guy who spent the better part of last season backing up Peter Budaj.

There has been speculation the Avs might buy out the final year of Theodore's contract, but the goalie's agent says he expects his client to return to Colorado in 2007-08.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Agent-believes-Theodore-will-return;_ylt=AnznKvlYmdFI6pHUNChNwk97vLYF?urn=nhl,3 6544

Clockwork Orange
06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/bc/fullj.getty-74562581cp015_2007_nhl_awar_8_02_02_pm.jpg

It does not suck to be Shane Doan. zowie!

Mtbrncofn
06-15-2007, 12:14 AM
I think Luongo got shafted on the Vezina. I'm so sick of Marty winning it. I knew it would go to him though.

Joe got the Lady Byng stolen out from under him by Datsuck?! Geez. No respect.

Thanks for trying to ruin the day with that ****ty news article you posted, 24cb. You suck.

24champ
06-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I think Luongo got shafted on the Vezina. I'm so sick of Marty winning it. I knew it would go to him though.

Joe got the Lady Byng stolen out from under him by Datsuck?! Geez. No respect.

Thanks for trying to ruin the day with that ****ty news article you posted, 24cb. You suck.

;D Payback for Statsny going ahead of Kopitar in the voting...

Mtbrncofn
06-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I think you better blame that on ol Anze. ;D

Clockwork Orange
06-15-2007, 02:37 AM
I think you better blame that on ol Anze. ;D

Jordan Staal, too. ;D

24champ
06-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Jordan Staal, too. ;D

tsk tsk

alkemical
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Even though Malkin had a tremendous year - I really enjoyed Staal's year more for the Pens.

bronco militia
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Award winners announced (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318418)
All-Star Teams (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318411)
All-Rookie Team (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318386)

Sakic Action Figure:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=318372

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2007/06/sakic_action_figure.jpg

Killericon
06-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Can't imagine Flames fans are either.

Keenan > Playfair. That's all that matters.

Plus, Keenan gave Sutter his first job, and the big knock on Keenan is he's hard to get long with.

I'm happy. Everyone I've talked to about it around here is happy...but primarily because Playfair's no longer in charge.

Pendejo
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2007/06/sakic_action_figure.jpg

Sakic smash!!!!

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Keenan > Playfair. That's all that matters.

Plus, Keenan gave Sutter his first job, and the big knock on Keenan is he's hard to get long with.

I'm happy. Everyone I've talked to about it around here is happy...but primarily because Playfair's no longer in charge.

Yeah, you're happy right now, seemingly so are most when Keenan is first hired for some reason. Get back to me a year from now when Flames fans will be calling for Keenan's head on a platter en masse. He doesn't bounce from job to job like the NHL's version of Larry Brown for no reason.

That guy has to have made a fortune on buy outs from being fired. I'm surprised that he's been able to milk that one Stanley Cup he won 13 years ago into so many jobs that ended miserably, yet teams keep on hiring him.

24champ
06-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah, you're happy right now, seemingly so are most when Keenan is first hired for some reason. Get back to me a year from now when Flames fans will be calling for Keenan's head on a platter en masse. He doesn't bounce from job to job like the NHL's version of Larry Brown for no reason.

That guy has to have made a fortune on buy outs from being fired. I'm surprised that he's been able to milk that one Stanley Cup he won 13 years ago into so many jobs that ended miserably, yet teams keep on hiring him.

I disagree, Keenan can be a good coach when put in the right situation. He led the Flyers to the Cup finals in 87' and took the Chicago Blackhawks to the 92' Finals. He made some stupid moves when he was with the Blues, Vancouver, Boston. I think the Flames have the pieces to be successful and "Iron Mike" should have the pieces he needs. I think the player that will benefit the most is Phaneuf, a young kid with a wild style that needs to be straightened out.

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I disagree, Keenan can be a good coach when put in the right situation. He led the Flyers to the Cup finals in 87' and took the Chicago Blackhawks to the 92' Finals. He made some stupid moves when he was with the Blues, Vancouver, Boston. I think the Flames have the pieces to be successful and "Iron Mike" should have the pieces he needs. I think the player that will benefit the most is Phaneuf, a young kid with a wild style that needs to be straightened out.

Since he won his one and only Stanley Cup in 1994, he's led the myriad of teams he's coached to a grand total of 2 playoff appearances and neither of those went further than the 2nd round. I don't care what he did 20, 15 or 13 years ago, he's been a miserable failure everywhere he's been for over a decade.

What the Flames have are two superstars (Iginla & Kipper) who will be UFA's one year from now. With Keenan's penchant for alienating players and playing musical goaltenders, Sutter had better be very conscious of what's going on between his coach and his top players, as they might be reluctant to re-sign if Keenan's going to be there for the forseeable future.

24champ
06-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Since he won his one and only Stanley Cup in 1994, he's led the myriad of teams he's coached to a grand total of 2 playoff appearances and neither of those went further than the 2nd round. I don't care what he did 20, 15 or 13 years ago, he's been a miserable failure everywhere he's been for over a decade.

I just find this hilarious...not even gonna go there.

What the Flames have are two superstars (Iginla & Kipper) who will be UFA's one year from now. With Keenan's penchant for alienating players and playing musical goaltenders, Sutter had better be very conscious of what's going on between his coach and his top players, as they might be reluctant to re-sign if Keenan's going to be there for the forseeable future.

It's all speculation, as long as he wins in Calgary I don't see a problem there.

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 02:55 AM
I just find this hilarious...not even gonna go there.

I find your straining to defend a loser like Keenan hilarious, too. So I guess we're even

Probably best for you that you don't go there considering that you have nothing to come back with.

It's all speculation, as long as he wins in Calgary I don't see a problem there.

He hasn't won anywhere since 1994 and he's taking over a team that had to battle all the way to the second to last game in order to be the 8th seed.

Though, he was hired by his buddy Sutter, so he'll probably get a longer leash than he's had in the past.

24champ
06-16-2007, 03:15 AM
I find your straining to defend a loser like Keenan hilarious, too. So I guess we're even

Probably best for you that you don't go there considering that you have nothing to come back with.

Well I just found it funny that an Avalanche fan is saying it is a stupid hire because he hasn't had any playoff success in recent years...yet your team hires Joel Chokeville who is notorious for taking a crap in the playoffs.

He hasn't won anywhere since 1994 and he's taking over a team that had to battle all the way to the second to last game in order to be the 8th seed.

Though, he was hired by his buddy Sutter, so he'll probably get a longer leash than he's had in the past.

He is taking over a team that has a solid scorer, goaltender, defenseman and they almost knocked off the top seed in the playoffs. Just needs to add a couple pieces and by the way Calgary isn't as bad as you make them out to be. Keenan is familiar with Sutter so that helps. It's all speculation as to what will happen with Keenan and Calgary, he is in a better situation than in the past is all I am saying.

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 03:30 AM
Well I just found it funny that an Avalanche fan is saying it is a stupid hire because he hasn't had any playoff success in recent years...yet your team hires Joel Chokeville who is notorious for taking a crap in the playoffs.

I'm not exactly what you'd call a big Quenneville fan, but I'd much rather he be in charge of my favorite team than Keenan. I'm not just talking about a lack of playoff success, Keenan has a sub .500 regular season record in that timeframe as well.

13 years of poor results is anything but "recent." Especially when you're talking about a whopping two playoff appearances in that time frame.

He is taking over a team that has a solid scorer, goaltender, defenseman and they almost knocked off the top seed in the playoffs. Just needs to add a couple pieces and by the way Calgary isn't as bad as you make them out to be. Keenan is familiar with Sutter so that helps. It's all speculation as to what will happen with Keenan and Calgary, he is in a better situation than in the past is all I am saying.

I never said Calgary was bad, but they're not the elite team you're portraying them to be. Their trip to the Finals was three years ago and they've been trending downward since. Coaching may be one of the issues that's caused it, but Mike Keenan is one of the last people I'd think they'd want leading their team since his antiquated style and abrasive personality have made him a failure in his last four jobs.

I'm curious to see how the hyper-sensitive Alex Tanguay takes to Keenan's rough style. He didn't respond well to the tough love of Bob Hartley at all when he was here.

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Anyway, enough about Mad Mike. The draft is a week away and free agency a little over two weeks away.

The bastion of credibility known as Eklund is claiming that Scott Niedermayer may very well retire. Take it with a mine of salt.

24champ
06-16-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm not exactly what you'd call a big Quenneville fan, but I'd much rather he be in charge of my favorite team than Keenan. I'm not just talking about a lack of playoff success, Keenan has a sub .500 regular season record in that timeframe as well.

13 years of poor results is anything but "recent." Especially when you're talking about a whopping two playoff appearances in that time frame.

He made some bad choices going to bad teams. Vancouver, Boston, Florida all rebuilding projects etc. It was his decision to go to those places and thats on him. However going to Calgary is not in a rebuilding process. They are a capable team that needs work on their lineup.

[/i]

I never said Calgary was bad, but they're not the elite team you're portraying them to be. Their trip to the Finals was three years ago and they've been trending downward since. Coaching may be one of the issues that's caused it, but Mike Keenan is one of the last people I'd think they'd want leading their team since his antiquated style and abrasive personality have made him a failure in his last four jobs.

I'm curious to see how the hyper-sensitive Alex Tanguay takes to Keenan's rough style. He didn't respond well to the tough love of Bob Hartley at all when he was here. I'm not saying their elite but they have the main pieces you need for an elite hockey team. They have one of the top Goalies in the league, top scorer, Very good young defensman. They need to get better support around those guys. I am not trying to make Keenan to be one of the top Coaches in the NHL all-time or anything like that, I just think this is actually a good fit for him unlike the jobs he was on.

Mtbrncofn
06-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Anyway, enough about Mad Mike. The draft is a week away and free agency a little over two weeks away.

The bastion of credibility known as Eklund is claiming that Scott Niedermayer may very well retire. Take it with a mine of salt.

Whoa. That'd be cool. ;D

Hercules Rockefeller
06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3882

Samsanov to Chicago in exchange for Cullimore and Salmelainen

Killericon
06-16-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3882

Samsanov to Chicago in exchange for Cullimore and Salmelainen

I hate being a Blackhawks fan. We gave up a whole lotta nothing, but Samsonov? ****.

Killericon
06-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh, and on task about the Flames' hiring of Keenan.

Look, we have a ton of talent on this team. A ton of Talent that went unmotivated and underutilized last year. This is a boom or bust hiring. If Keenan can't motivate this squad to do what it's done before, then it's time to blow up the roster. If he can, the sky's the limit. That's why I like this hiring. Not to mention, he's not in charge of the Roster. Sutter is. He's just coaching.

Oh, and if Tanguay gets his feelings hurt by mean old "5th on the all time wins list" Iron Mike, then I'm sure he can go cry on Playfair's shoulder.

Clockwork Orange
06-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Fox Sports 1st round mock.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6920980

Killericon
06-16-2007, 06:25 PM

After all the excitement from the past 2 drafts, I'm going to be hard pressed to care about this years. I'll still watch, though. :thanku:

Jori
06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
If the Avs take Blum with Petrecki still on the board...I wont be happy.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-17-2007, 01:13 AM

Cherepanov, just like Chad Jackson to the Broncos, I haven't seen that one before.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211070&hubname=

The Toronto Sun says Muckler is out

Clockwork Orange
06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Flyers give Nashville their 1st rounder back from the Forsberg deal for Timonen & Hartnell. Both have been signed to new contracts with significant raises.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211182&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
TSN's top 60 prospects for this year's draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11063&hubname=

The more I read about him, the more I'm sold on Nick Petrecki. He sounds like the kind of hard hitting, stay at home D-man the Avs need. The Avs have enough smallish, puck movers, they need a big hitter.

If he's there at 14 (and the Avs are drafting from that spot) he'd be an ideal choice.

Clockwork Orange
06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Burke confirms that Scott Niedermayer is considering retiring.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211266&hubname=

24champ
06-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Burke confirms that Scott Niedermayer is considering retiring.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211266&hubname=

Yeah my friend told me that right when they won the Stanley Cup that it appears that Scott was retiring...I don't know about Selanne.

Two hours after the game, the Niedermayer brothers still in full uniform appeared with their families and sat on the bench to soak in the moment. After a while, Scott and his wife went out to center ice for a private moment. There have been whispers that Niedermayer might consider retirement, and the way he was capturing that moment with his wife really gave me reason to think about that.

Clockwork Orange
06-19-2007, 08:08 PM
TSN's mock draft is up.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211294&hubname=nhl

24champ
06-19-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree with James Duthie in that Mock, Kings will select Cherepanov, assuming he is at #4.

alkemical
06-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Penguins sign winger (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07170/795392-61.stm)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today signed right winger Connor James to a one-year contract.

James, 24, had 32 points, including 12 goals, last season with the Penguins' farm club in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He also had eight points in 11 American Hockey League playoff games.

James was a ninth-round draft pick by Los Angeles in 2002 and played in two NHL games in 2005-06. He first signed with the Penguins as a free agent last year.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder played on the University of Denver's 2004 NCAA championship team.

Clockwork Orange
06-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Penguins sign winger (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07170/795392-61.stm)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today signed right winger Connor James to a one-year contract.

James, 24, had 32 points, including 12 goals, last season with the Penguins' farm club in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He also had eight points in 11 American Hockey League playoff games.

James was a ninth-round draft pick by Los Angeles in 2002 and played in two NHL games in 2005-06. He first signed with the Penguins as a free agent last year.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder played on the University of Denver's 2004 NCAA championship team.

:homer: !Booya! :~ohyah!:

alkemical
06-20-2007, 09:40 AM
:homer: !Booya! :~ohyah!:

I figured if anyone kept tabs on the DU players, they might be interested - and also for SoCal.

I like the pens - i don't think i'm a homer. But by the power of Crosby you are forgiven.

Clockwork Orange
06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I figured if anyone kept tabs on the DU players, they might be interested - and also for SoCal.

I like the pens - i don't think i'm a homer. But by the power of Crosby you are forgiven.

I follow them, as does Jori. I'm always root for the local boys to do well.

You should have seen the cartwheels I did when the Avs drafted DU's own Paul Stastny. ^5 :wiggle:

alkemical
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM
You have any info on this guy?

Clockwork Orange
06-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Ducks re-sign Giguere, 4 years $24 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211485&hubname=

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Adrian Aucoin is apparently on his way to Calgary. No word on the compensation as of yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211518&hubname=

I don't mean to keep picking on the Flames (seriously, division rivals or not, I don't really have anything against them), but I don't like this move unless they're unloading a bad contract of their own on the Blackhawks. Aucoin is grossly overpaid at $4 million per season and he has two years left on his deal. He played like crap when he actually managed to be in the lineup for Chicago (he's missed 70 games over the past two seasons) and he turns 34 next month.

I'll wait until they announce both sides of the trade before I condemn it.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Toronto acquires Vesa Toskala & Mark Bell from San Jose for a 1st & 2nd rounder this year and a 4th in 2009.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211547&hubname=

24champ
06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Washington Falcons er Capitals new jerseys...

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/johnbajuice1138/Crapitalsuni.jpg

Rascal
06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Toronto acquires Vesa Toskala & Mark Bell from San Jose for a 1st & 2nd rounder this year and a 4th in 2009.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211547&hubname=

Wow. That's a lot for a career backup goalie and a winger who was a consistent scratch late in the season.

24champ
06-22-2007, 02:55 PM
From TSN RE: frst round pick in the Toronto - Sharks trade:

The first round pick is set for 2007, but if the player the Sharks want isn't available, San Jose has the option to move the pick to 2008 with a top 10 protection covering the Leafs. That means if Toronto's 2008 pick is a top 10 pick then it will slide to 2009.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Penguins re-sign Gary Roberts & Mark Recchi to one year deals.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211557&hubname=

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Avs re-sign Tyler Arnason to a 2 year deal.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211560&hubname=nhl

Hercules Rockefeller
06-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Vokoun to Florida for an '08 1st and 2 2nds

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Vokoun to Florida for an '08 1st and 2 2nds

The exodus from Nashville continues.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Sounds like Chicago is on the verge of trading the 1st overall pick to Phoenix.

24champ
06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Sounds like Chicago is on the verge of trading the 1st overall pick to Phoenix.

Eklund is reporting it so who knows.

Jens1893
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
From TSN RE: frst round pick in the Toronto - Sharks trade:

The first round pick is set for 2007, but if the player the Sharks want isn't available, San Jose has the option to move the pick to 2008 with a top 10 protection covering the Leafs. That means if Toronto's 2008 pick is a top 10 pick then it will slide to 2009.

Is any of the 2 teams looking at the same players the Avs are looking at?

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Possibly. It's hard to say who the Avs are looking at as their draft day philsophy has always been to take the best player available regardless of position.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:15 PM

I don't know Leafs or Sharks pick at 13 depending on who they want and I have no clue who that is.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
BOOOOOOO YOU SUCK BETTMAN LMAO, the whole place is booing.

Jens1893
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Chicago selects Kane #1 overall.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Kane goes #1.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Second year in a row that an American is drafted 1st overall. :~ohyah!:

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
PIT trades Chris Thorburn to ATL for a 3rd.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Make that Americans going #1 and #2 as the Flyers take Van Riemsdyk.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
KINGS ARE UP!!!!

Selecting either Chirpy or Alzner.:strong:

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Wtf!

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hickey over Alzner? Surprising.

Jens1893
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Someone in Denver probably just threw his TV out of the window.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Hickey over Alzner? Surprising.

Well the Kings have plenty of solid defensemen in the pipeline but is Alzner a blue chip prospect? Dean doesn't think so. Suprised with the Hickey pick regardless.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Someone in Denver probably just threw his TV out of the window.

Yeah I thought about it.:spit:

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Cherepanov grew up an Avs fan, I'd love to see his boyhood dream come true. :yep:

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Alzner to the Caps, nice. Herc should be pleased.

24champ
06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Cherepanov grew up an Avs fan, I'd love to see his boyhood dream come true. :yep:

He is the NHL version of Brady Quinn at the draft.

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Thomas Hickey is, second only to Kevin Shattenkirk, among the best defenseman in the draft in the transition game. A strong skater, Hickey has excellent vision and is a very good passer; giving him the quality to be a great player for moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Furthermore, Hickey seems to always be cool and plays a mature game, manoeuvring with the puck with a lot of confidence. Although a bit on the small side, Hickey isn't intimidated physically and is actually pretty strong. His defensive game is solid, although it could still use some work. Overall, Hickey has tons of potential and his offensive abilities and maturity are going to make him an interesting prospect to follow during his developpement.

http://membres.lycos.fr/nhldraft2007/

Doesn't seem too bad.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
He is the NHL version of Brady Quinn at the draft.

The lack of a transfer agreement with Russia is what's going to keep him waiting longer than he should. There's no telling where he'll be taken, but by most accounts, he's a top 5 talent.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Thomas Hickey is, second only to Kevin Shattenkirk, among the best defenseman in the draft in the transition game. A strong skater, Hickey has excellent vision and is a very good passer; giving him the quality to be a great player for moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Furthermore, Hickey seems to always be cool and plays a mature game, manoeuvring with the puck with a lot of confidence. Although a bit on the small side, Hickey isn't intimidated physically and is actually pretty strong. His defensive game is solid, although it could still use some work. Overall, Hickey has tons of potential and his offensive abilities and maturity are going to make him an interesting prospect to follow during his developpement.

Doesn't seem too bad.

Not bad at all, it was just a surprising pick to most.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:05 PM
That guy looked like he grabbed Voracek's ass when he hugged him. :laugh:

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Not bad at all, it was just a surprising pick to most.

Believe me it was very suprising, had to scramble to find info on the guy.:rofl:

and the Kings board got shut down and who knows how things are going at the Draft party in LA.:spit:

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Come on Giguere, move up and roll the dice on Cherepanov.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Come on Giguere, move up and roll the dice on Cherepanov.

But he's not french canadian.

:)

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Our first trade. St. Louis sends the 9th pick to San Jose for the 13th (acquired from Toronto) a 2nd rounder and a 3rd next year.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
But he's not french canadian.

:)

Actually, the Avs tendency lately has been all North Americans and very few Euros. I'd love to see that trend broken and Cherepanov land in Colorado, but I'm doubtful.

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice pick Sharks, I was really high on Couture.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually, the Avs tendency lately has been all North Americans and very few Euros. I'd love to see that trend broken and Cherepanov land in Colorado, but I'm doubtful.

Well SJ passed on him, only a few picks away, CO, its very possible.

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Some very good players still on the board with Chirpy and Esposito.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:21 PM

I wonder if he's there at 14 if they'll even take him then. You, as a Pens fan, are well aware of the hassle it can be to get these Russian kids over here because of the lack of a transfer agreement.

By the way, how does it feel to not be picking in the top 2 for once? :)

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I wonder if he's there at 14 if they'll even take him then. You, as a Pens fan, are well aware of the hassle it can be to get these Russian kids over here because of the lack of a transfer agreement.

Chirpy is pissed off, and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Yeah the transfer agreement is a bit of a hindrance, but when push comes to shove you can steal him away in the middle of the night if need be, like we did.

FLA passes on Cherepanov too...hmm...very good chance he or Esposito, who was no. 1 coming into the year will be there for COL.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Chirpy is pissed off, and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

He's got a bit of a mullet going there. ROFL!

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Two picks to go until the Avs are up and three guys I'd love to have are still out there. Cherepanov, Esposito and Petrecki.

I think Esposito goes right here to Montreal at 12.

Jens1893
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I don´t see why it´s such a big deal if Cherepanov only has a year left on his contract. If the guy is as good as advertised, I think it shouldn´t be a huge deal if they have to wait a year to bring him to North America. Or am I missing something here? When the guy is out of contract, the lack of a transfer agreement shouldn´t be such a big deal anymore ....

Jens1893
06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Two picks to go until the Avs are up and three guys I'd love to have are still out there. Cherepanov, Esposito and Petrecki.

I think Esposito goes right here to Montreal at 12.

2 will be there ....

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, Esposito does fall past the Habs. All three of my targets are still there with one pick to go.

24champ
This Draft is odd...anyway Avalanche have a good crop of players to pick from.

Hercules Rockefeller
Alzner to the Caps, nice. Herc should be pleased.

Nope. He's another 2nd-pairing D-man, the Caps have more than half a dozen of those in the system.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Nope. He's another 2nd-pairing D-man, the Caps have more than half a dozen of those in the system.

Who did you want at that pick?

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Colorado is going to get a steal either way. Congrats.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Colorado is going to get a steal either way. Congrats.

I won't believe it until the pick is announced, but I certainly hope so.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Who did you want at that pick?

Cherapanov, Gagner, or Voracek

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, the Avs are on the clock and Cherepanov is sitting there, staring them in the face.

If their past drafts are any indicator, they'll take the best player available and Cherepanov fits that description here.

TAKE HIM!!!!

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Colorado selects Shattenkirk.

Jens1893
Avs take Shattenkirk.

SoCalBronco
Come on Shero, move up!!!

Clockwork Orange
God dammit.

They drafted for need rather than taking the BPA. **** me.

Shattenkirk, another smallish, offensive minded defenseman. I don't like this at all.

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Kevin Shattenkirk is an offensive defenseman who will jump in offensively like a fourth forward. He is an excellent skater with great acceleration and speed, he has very good puckhandling skills and has great anticipation. Although not a physical player, he can sometimes surprise with a good hit. He is solid defensively, but he sometimes gets caught on costly plays. Picking Shattenkirk in the top-10 represents a bit of a risk, but he has incredible potential and could be a star in the NHL.

24champ
06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
God dammit.

They drafted for need rather than taking the BPA. **** me.

Shattenkirk, another smallish, offensive minded defenseman. I don't like this at all.

Welcome to the WE DRAFTED WHO? club.:spit:

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the WE DRAFTED WHO? club.:spit:

Shattenkirk wasn't a total surprise pick, the surprise is that the Avs have always taken the BPA and this is a big shift in draft philosophy.

I'm disappointed. I would have liked to see the Avs go for the home run pick with Cherepanov or even Esposito. If they were going to take a defenseman, I'd have much rather seen them go for someone like Petrecki who's a big, hard hitting, stay at home type.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Come on Shero move the **** up

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Wild moves up

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Man, one of these studs might slip to us at 20...

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Rangers get Cherepanov. What a steal.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Congrats Ray Finkle!

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm starting to get worried that the Avs are going to sit on their hands, for the most part, this offseason.

Re-signing Arnason when it wasn't really necessary, drafting for need rather than going BPA, this all screams of them going mostly status quo.

I could be wrong, it's just a feeling I've got. It's disturbing that Giguere was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that most of the Avs lineup is already set. Not an encouraging sign.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok...the Penguins are up and Esposito is still there.

Clockwork Orange
06-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Esposito to the Pens. Wow, great pick.

That's an offensive juggernaut for years to come in Pittsburgh.

24champ
06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Congrats SOCAL....

Angelo Esposito, once considered without a doubt the top prospect of the 2007 Draft, had a subpar year in Quebec where his development as a hockey player really didn't go as expected. Still, Esposito is among the most talented players in the draft and with the right among of work and determination, he'll be an NHL star. A great skater with excellent hands, Angelo knows how to create scoring opportunities. He will score goals and create plays, but his hockey sense sometimes looks deficient; he often miss open players or make doubtful decisions. His defensive game and physical play are inexistent and he is somewhat inconsistent. With all the negatives that come with him, Esposito is still an amazing prospect and well worth the risk if developped well by the team that drafts him.

SoCalBronco
06-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
On the golf course, what did the Caps get from SJ?

Clockwork Orange
06-23-2007, 01:32 AM
I think it was a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year from San Jose to Washington.

Al Wilson
06-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Anyone that followed Minnesota or NCAA hockey got any analysis on Jim O'Brien?

Also, Logan Couture is going to be a great player. I had the pleasure of watching him play for the 67s. He'll be a future captain, great all around player.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I think it was a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year from San Jose to Washington.

Thanks, and the Caps turned around today and traded the 2nd to Philly for a 3rd this year and another '08 2nd.

Rascal
06-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Not real thrilled with the first round pick, but their round 2 was decent IMO. Plus the fourth round pick of Brad Malone was an absolute steal. He was ranked 58 overall by TSN.

Clockwork Orange
06-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm alright with what the Avs did overall. I'm warming up to the Shattenkirk pick, though I still would have rather seen them swing for the fence with Cherepanov or Esposito in round one.

They went heavy on college kids again and didn't take a Euro until the 6th round. They certainly addressed their organizational needs early (defense, goaltending), showing that, at least for this draft, their philosophy has shifted.

Here's a fun fact. Avs 2nd rounder Colby Cohen is Jeremy Bloom's cousin.

Requiem
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
SoCal, sounds like this Esposito could be something special. Another center though? I mean, how many more offensive players do we need? You think Malkin/Staal will be traded sometime?

Hercules Rockefeller
06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I guess I can live with Alzner, he's a safe pick and will probably get 10 games with the big team before back down to his juniors team, but he's just another in a long line of 2nd pairing D-men that the Caps have. I did like that McPhee started today with 3 2nds in a really weak draft, and now has 3 2nds in next year's draft which is supposed to be much stronger. Doubt they'll have all three when the season starts though, I think they'll be used to trade for an RFA or two.

SoCalBronco
06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
SoCal, sounds like this Esposito could be something special. Another center though? I mean, how many more offensive players do we need? You think Malkin/Staal will be traded sometime?

I think he will play exclusively at wing. I believe he has had some experience there too, which is good because we are dying for some talent on the wings. Malkin or Staal aren't going anywhere anytime soon, although eventually I suspect at least one of them will have to go, so Esposito acts as a bit of insurance for the team. I don't know whether he'll be able to crack the roster this year though, I think he might need another year in the Q, but who knows. I am definitely excited to see what he can eventually be on Sid's wing though. He's got alot of speed and offensive skill.

Jori
06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm alright with what the Avs did overall. I'm warming up to the Shattenkirk pick, though I still would have rather seen them swing for the fence with Cherepanov or Esposito in round one.

They went heavy on college kids again and didn't take a Euro until the 6th round. They certainly addressed their organizational needs early (defense, goaltending), showing that, at least for this draft, their philosophy has shifted.

Here's a fun fact. Avs 2nd rounder Colby Cohen is Jeremy Bloom's cousin.

I think the lack of a transfer agreement scared the Avs off, as it did with other teams. Mayorov also fell to the beginning of the fourth round. IMO Eller was the guy the Avs were targeting, but Shattenkirk was high on their list. Love the Patterson and Galiaradi picks. If the Avs had a stronger farm system, I would have been more comfortable taking a gamble. All in all, I think Colorado did well for themselves in this draft.

Killericon
06-24-2007, 02:40 AM
The fact that the Penguins were lucky enough to nab Esposito makes me hate them a little.

24champ
06-24-2007, 03:30 AM
The fact that the Penguins were lucky enough to nab Esposito makes me hate them a little.

Don't worry JMFJ will take care him, Crosby, and Malkin. Right Socal?ROFL!

SoCalBronco
06-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Don't worry JMFJ will take care him, Crosby, and Malkin. Right Socal?ROFL!

Haha...we will see, I am glad I went to the game at Staples this year, it is prolly the last time I will be able to see the team for several years. Damn scheduling system......I really want to see 87 vs. 78.

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2007, 05:09 PM
SI's 5 Draft Winners (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/allan_muir/06/25/draft.winners/index.html)

The winners and losers at the NHL Entry Draft? May as well ask for the Best Picture nominees of 2011 or the winning numbers for the Mega Millions lottery scheduled for four years from now. Really, it'll be at least that far down the line before we know which teams got it right in Columbus over the weekend.

Of course, everyone's got an opinion. Based on the post-draft thoughts of scouts who were asked to assess the proceedings based on which teams made the most of the day, five clearly impressed their peers with their choices.

5. San Jose Sharks

The Sharks entered the day with no first-round pick (having traded theirs to St. Louis in the Bill Guerin deal in February), but left with a pair: Logan Couture (#9) and Nick Petrecki (#28). GM Doug Wilson -- again proving himself to be a master of asset management -- acquired Toronto's first- and second-round picks in a draft day deal for Vesa Toskala, then packaged them with a third-rounder to St. Louis. That allowed him to move to the ninth pick and grab Couture, a smart two-way center from the Ottawa 67s. With Petrecki -- a massive and very ill-tempered blueliner -- still on the board, Wilson moved a pair of second-rounders to Washington for the pick needed to bulk up his defense.

The Sharks also grabbed a pair of goaltending prospects in the third round: Timo Pelmeier, the top-ranked German; and Tyson Sexsmith, a Canadian who led Vancouver to the Memorial Cup earlier this month.

4. Colorado Avalanche

The Avs came to Columbus hoping to address the two weakest areas in their system: defense and goaltending. They tabbed flashy Team USA captain Kevin Shattenkirk on Friday night, then used two of their three second-rounders to bag Colby Cohen, a 6-2, 200-pound bruiser whose 60 points led all USHL defenders in scoring, and Trevor Cann, who backstopped Canada to gold at the 2006 Under-18 championships. With their fourth-round selection, the Avs selected Kent Patterson, a very raw but promising 17-year-old who was ranked as the second-best goalie available by Red Line Report.

3. Columbus Blue Jackets

Going by all the kind words, the Jackets were marvelous hosts for the draft, but that doesn't mean they let their guests have all the fun. Jakub Voracek, ranked by several scouts as the most NHL-ready player in this class, fell into their laps at No. 7 after the Los Angeles Kings shook up the order by selecting defenseman Thomas Hickey at No. 4. Voracek's downfall may have been the "safe pick" label he drew in the weeks leading up to the draft, but as one scout said, "What's wrong with a sure thing?" He looks like a winger the Jackets can pencil into their top six after his remarkable performance in the Quebec League playoffs (24 points, 12 games).

The Jackets also added good value picks with undersized OHL sniper Stefan Legein (No. 37), project defenseman Will Weber (No. 53) and Maxim Mayorov (No. 94), a first-round talent whose stock plummeted due to the lack of a transfer agreement with the Russian federations.

2. St. Louis Blues

Thanks to smart asset manipulation at the February trade deadline, the Blues had three first-rounders to play with on Friday night, and five picks overall in the first 44 when GM Larry Pleau added a pair of second-rounders by trading down from ninth to 13th. After failing, unsurprisingly, to package the trio of first-rounders for Chicago's first overall choice, the Blues still managed to meet their goal of focusing on the primary need in their system by acquiring four scoring forwards: their top choice -- Danish scoring sensation Lars Eller -- plus late-blooming sniper David Perron (No. 26), Swedish winger Simon Hjalmarsson, and American forward Aaron Palushaj (No. 44), who had 22 goals and 67 points in 50 games for Des Moines of the USHL. The Blues also added a steady defender. Two-way American blueliner Ian Cole was available at No. 18.

There was some concern voiced that this was a safe slate of picks, but it also appears that the Blues added more quality talent than every other team except for ...

1. Chicago Blackhawks.

Without a doubt, this was a bold draft by the Hawks, who appeared to get the most value possible based on when each pick occured. Forget for a moment about first overall selection Patrick Kane -- that was the consensus choice and no one really deserves a pat on the back for making it.

Where Chicago really made hay was with their follow-up selections, particularly in the second round. Bill Sweatt (No. 38) and Akim Aliu (No. 56) were considered first-round talent in several corners, and could one day team up as part of an impressive third line. Sweatt, possibly the fastest player in the draft, could be an elite checker and penalty killer. Aliu, the Nigerian-born multi-linguist, has the chance to become a hard-hitting, if light-scoring, power forward. Maxime Tanguay, the brother of Calgary Flames sniper Alex, was a solid gamble at No. 69. Team USA's Josh Unice (No. 86) was named the top goaltender at the 2007 Under --18s. Richard Greenop (No. 156) is all about accountability. The 6-4, 215-pound center earned 19 fighting majors this past season as a rookie with the Windsor Spitfires.

While other teams chose to play it safe, the Hawks swung for the fences. It's possible that four years down the road we'll have to hand them the golden sombrero, but as of this morning, no team appears to have made a greater impact on their future..

Honorable mentions:

The Pittsburgh Penguins may have made the steal of the draft when formerly top-ranked Angelo Esposito fell into their laps at No. 20. The Pens added hulking center Keven Veilleux at No. 51 and grabbed Alex Grant (No. 118), the first-overall pick in the 2005 QMJHL draft

The Detroit Red Wings, with just five picks, managed to acquire three players who are thought to have first-round potential: powerplay QB Brendan Smith (No. 27), checking-line center Joakim Andersson (No. 88), and Zach Torquato, a feisty, character forward (No. 178).

24champ
06-28-2007, 05:51 PM
For Socal and Clavowhateverhisnameis

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS106062619_lower.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS105062619_lower.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS108062619_lower.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS102062618_lower.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS103062618_lower.jpg

alkemical
06-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks! Where/How'd you gank those?

24champ
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks! Where/How'd you gank those?
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/photos

You can make those into wallpapers...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PAKS103062618_1024x768.jpg

alkemical
06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797911-61.stm

Former Penguin Ron Francis voted into hockey hall
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ron Francis, an integral part of the Penguins 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cup teams, has been voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, hall officials announced today.

Francis, a center, scored 1,798 points, fourth all-time in NHL history. Francis played in the league for 23 years, playing with Hartford, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Toronto.

Also voted into the hall in Toronto were Mark Messier, the NHL's second-leading career scorer, Al MacInnis and Scott Stevens. NHL executive Jim Gregory was voted in as a builder.

The induction ceremony for the Hall, which allows a maximum of four players in each year, will be held Nov. 12.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

SoCalBronco
06-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Penguins alarmed over delay in arena funding bill
Friday, June 29, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the state Legislature recesses for the summer without approving a bill critical to funding a new arena, the entire project could be in jeopardy, Gov. Ed Rendell and the Penguins said today.

"The money is there but the Penguins have said that if the bill isn't passed in this session it may delay construction for a year and that might put the deal in jeopardy," said Chuck Ardo, Mr. Rendell's spokeman.

He said the governor is lobbying state senators to act on the slots-backed legislation, which would provide $7.5 million a year for 30 years toward the arena construction, before leaving for the summer. Mr. Ardo said it would be an "absolute travesty" for the project to be jeopardized after state and local leaders worked so hard through the winter to cut a deal with the Penguins to build a new arena and keep the team in Pittsburgh.

In response to the statements, Penguins President David Morehouse said, "If this legislative session ends without arena funding in place the entire funding structure for the arena and the arena project would be in jeopardy."

A delay would prevent the Pittsburgh-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority from issuing $325 million in bonds to finance the construction. It also might allow interest rates to creep up, which could create a shortfall in the funding scheme crafted as part of the deal with the Penguins and conceivably could require a renegotiation of the terms.

The arena money is included in a new $1.6 billion fund for capital improvements financed by slot machine revenue. The legislation governing the fund has passed the House but is still awaiting action in the Senate.

State Sen. Jane Orie, R-McCandless, said today legislators outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are hesitant to act on the funding bill until a state budget is passed. She said they consider the budget their top priority, not the bill funding the arena and an expansion of the Philadelphia convention center. Mr. Rendell is still battling with the Legislature on budget particulars and that fight may stretch beyond the weekend, the deadline for passing a budget.

Ms. Orie said she believes the funding bill has a good chance of passing once the budget has been resolved. She said Mr. Rendell was using the threat of the project being in jeopardy as "somewhat of a scare tactic" to try to force action.

"I believe it can get done. If the governor negotiated a budget instead of going on the radio it would make it a lot easier to get it done," she said, referring to Mr. Rendell's statements on a radio program this morning.

http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg/07180/798164-61.stm

Bronx33
06-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Avs have always had ways finding diamonds in the rough (now if we can quit trading them) a couples years from now.:spit:

Bronx33
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Shatternkirk is an undersized, strong skating defenseman, with great puck handling skills. He was the captain of the US under-18 team and he has demonstrated tremendous leadership qualities. Shattenkirk possesses excellent offensive abilities, which make him a valuable asset on the power play. He is a solid puck moving defenseman who should fit in nicely in the new NHL patrolling the Avalanche blueline.

Colby Cohen A skilled offensive defenseman… has good puck skills and a good shot from the point… makes good passes and sees the ice well… needs to improve his defensive positioning and the consistency of his work ethic.

T.J. GALIARDI Galiardi is an instinctive playmaker with tremendous scoring capability. He is very smart, patient and creative with the puck. Those features along with his great on-ice vision help make him an efficient puck distributor who can easily find open teammates as well. One characteristic that makes Galiardi such an outstanding player is his ability to blend those brilliant puck skills with the mental side of the game. He can be deceptive and what the opposition is reading isn't always what he is thinking. While Galiardi is a strong competitor and has the puck skills needed to be successful, being more aggressive more often in his puck pursuits would not only make him more difficult to play against but also make him a much more valuable asset to his team. Galiardi is also a superb skater, combining power and speed with immense fluidness in his long strides. As he continues to develop his size and strength, the power and quickness in those strides will become more pronounced.

Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet's comments on Galiardi: "T.J. broke into the college ranks and developed very quickly. T.J. has got an offensive flare. The offensive side of the game appears to come very naturally to him as far as the understanding and hockey intellect side of it. When his body (development) catches up, T.J. is going to be even more dominant and really something special."

Trevor Cann 2006-07: The 5’11, Oakville, ON native posted respectable numbers this season with a 3.69 GAA and .909 save percentage over 62 games for a struggling Petes franchise, which was reflected in his 23-32-5 record. A last-minute addition to the Canadian World Junior camp, Cann performed admirably under duress all season and has the makings of a solid netminder. Trevor Cann is a smallish netminder with a bulldog mentality who battled hard all season long behind a young and inexperienced defence in Peterborough. Saw tons of rubber and occasionally got shelled, but always came back strong and never wilted on his team mentally. Though only 5-11, Cann is powerfully put together and hangs tough with traffic around the crease. He's quick both side-to-side and down-to-up, and plays his angles well. He'll need to improve his glove hand and rebound control to succeed at the next level.

Brad Malone Over the last week I've been trying to identify suitors for Cushing Prep rightwing Brad Malone. Malone is the cousin of NHLer Ryan Malone, and his dad Jim was a first round pick of the New York Rangers in 1980. Malone grew up in Miramichi, New Brunswick, and moved on to Cushing Academy as a sophomore last season. While Angelo Esposito drew much of the attention in the Quebec midget this past June, Malone was the 4th rated player, but because of his announced intention to go the NCAA route, he wasn't selected until the 4th round. At 6'3, he's a power winger with good puck skills, having potted 4 goals and an assist in 5 games for the Atlantic team during the recent World Under-17. He projects as a second round pick in the 2007 NHL draft. Malone is a junior, so will be a 2007 recruit. Last year he indicated an interest in going to school in the Boston area, but as I noted in my January 17th post, scholarship spots for the Boston schools are thin. Maine is reported to have interest, as do western schools Denver, North Dakota and Michigan.

KENT PATTERSON is really Red Line's choice as the least heralded sleeper goaltender pick of the draft. He's a stand-up netminder who battles hard and hates to lose. He brings competitive fire and plays with a reassuring confidence that is settling to teammates. Plus he's the youngest player in this or any other year's draft. With a Sept. 15 birthdate, if he were born just a few hours later, he would not be eligible until 2008. So he's got a lot more upside on the developmental curve.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Less than 24 hours until free agency starts (deals can be signed starting at 12 eastern tomorrow), and the Caps have to spend $6M or so just to get to the floor. Leonsis has also claimed that he wants to spend closer to the midpoint this year, which would be another $7-8M.

24champ
06-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Kings have about 27 million in cap space...so we can sign just about anyone but at the same time we can't get tied up in long term contracts that will hamstring us from re-signing Kopitar and JMFJ etc.

Killericon
06-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Kings have about 27 million in cap space...so we can sign just about anyone but at the same time we can't get tied up in long term contracts that will hamstring us from re-signing Kopitar and JMFJ etc.

7 years for Forsberg, here you come!

24champ
06-30-2007, 09:38 PM
7 years for Forsberg, here you come!

heh.

The targets are Drury, Hannan, Stuart, Briere, and Gomez. I don't think Dean Lombardi will blow his wad on all of those players but my expectation is one of those guys will sign. There is also some rumblings of a big trade going down but we will see.:wiggle:

Bronx33
06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I do not want to see drury in our conference! unless hes on our team again.

Killericon
07-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Well, it's begun, sort of.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0f36dea7-3dd7-4993-b955-4e7a4da1a29a

The National Hockey League was prepared to deliver a team to William (Boots) Del Biaggio and Kansas City's Sprint Center as part of a plan to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, sources told the National Post yesterday.

Del Biaggio, now the frontrunner to purchase and relocate the Nashville Predators, and Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the company that operates the Sprint Center, aggressively pursued the Penguins late last year, offering the team a rent-free lease in the new arena.

But sources said the league, which didn't want to lose a value market in Pittsburgh, asked the Kansas City investors to back off their chase of the Penguins while indicating to the group it would be next in line for an NHL franchise.
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

It is believed the commissioner and Leiweke, who was in England yesterday, had an informal arrangement that would have delivered the Predators to Del Biaggio and Kansas City had Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie not stepped in with a richer offer and plans to move the team to Hamilton. Del Biaggio has an agreement with AEG to own and operate an NHL team in the Sprint Center.

Yesterday, the Post reported that Balsillie's US$238-million deal to buy the Nashville franchise from Wisconsin businessman Craig Leipold was off and that the Predators owner was expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Del Biaggio, who earlier had claimed he was no longer pursuing the Predators.

"I don't want to officially comment because there's a long way to go," Del Biaggio told the Kansas City Star yesterday. "I don't want to get caught up in all this like Balsillie did, and [after] what happened to me in Pittsburgh.

"If Jim Balsillie falls out, I'm sure Craig is going to look at all his options. I think it's all speculation right now. The reality is it's going to be a process."

Del Biaggio, a minority investor in the San Jose Sharks, has made two runs at the Penguins, the first in 2005 and the second last fall when Balsillie was also in the bidding.

The first attempt was scuttled when the Penguins won the draft lottery and the right to select Sidney Crosby, which prompted owner Mario Lemieux to take the team off the market.

The latter attempt only failed because Pennsylvania lawmakers struck a deal with a Detroit-based casino to finance construction of a new arena, which the Penguins claimed they needed to remain in Pittsburgh.

Still, the Kansas City effort -- AEG was offering free rent and a 50% share of the management agreement for the Sprint Center --left commissioner Gary Bettman impressed.

"Kansas City put itself on the map as an attractive, viable place for a future franchise, be it the NHL or NBA," Bettman told The Star in March. "I can't speak for the NBA, but no doubt if we were considering a relocation or expansion ? we would have to consider Kansas City."

In dismissing Balsillie's bid for Del Biaggio's -- and apparently choosing Kansas City over Hamilton -- Leipold might have cost himself about US$50-million. The Nashvile owner has reportedly lost US$70-million on the Predators in 10 years.

One source suggested yesterday that Leipold might be willing to take the reduced price because he believes Del Biaggio's purchase can be processed more quickly than a deal with Balsillie, and that time could save him from covering the club's operating losses this season.

"We are currently free to explore any and all options regarding the sale of the Nashville Predators," a club spokesman said in a deal yesterday. " However, until and unless there's a binding agreement in place, we don't plan to comment on the status of the Predators' ownership.

Another questions surrounds the NHL governors, who must approve sales and relocation requests, and how they feel about the Predators' dropping price tag. Balsillie's US$238-million bid would inflate the value of every other team, and clubs might also be in line to have their credit lines increased because bank appraisals take the most recent sales prices into account.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks jori

http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/greenwich-sports/19717.shtml

http://acorn-online.com/news/uploads/1/Shattenkirk.jpg

Talk about a life-changing experience.

While nervously sitting with his family at the 2007 National Hockey League Entry Draft at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, Kevin Shattenkirk finally got to hear the words that he’s been dreaming about.

Shattenkirk, 18, who was born in Greenwich and played on the Brunswick ice hockey team, was drafted 14th overall by the Colorado Avalanche.

During the draft, which was held on June 22, Shattenkirk, who is a cool customer on the ice, was a little tense.

“I was a little nervous, but the thing with the draft is that you can’t control what happens,” he told the Post. “I was very excited to be there and I was kind of getting anxious waiting for my name to be called.”

However, that all changed once he heard his name and realized he would be playing hockey for the Avs.

“It was an amazing feeling,” Shattenkirk said. “Hearing my name called made me tremendously happy — and my family was as well. Going to Colorado is great and it didn’t really sink in until later on.”

Shattenkirk, who played defense for Brunswick during the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons, said he classifies himself an offensive defenseman who shoots right.

“We are pleased to have been able to select Kevin as our first-round pick,” said Craig Billington, Colorado Avalanche director of player development. “We believe he is a very talented young man with a bright future ahead of him. Our best efforts will be put forward to make sure his development leads him to be a good professional hockey player.”

“I add a component to the team and add another defenseman to join the rush up ice,” Shattenkirk said. “I am also a power play defenseman, and that’s key as well.”

Playing hockey on a big stage is nothing new to Shattenkirk. He was a captain of the United States National Under-18 team during the 2006-07 season and scored 12 goals and 22 assists in 48 games. In addition, he represented the United States and helped the team take second place in the 2007 Under-18 World Championships in Finland.

A year earlier, he was a member of the United States National Under-17 team, scoring 13 goals and 20 assists in 53 games.

For Shattenkirk, there really wasn’t a tryout period prior to the NHL draft. The only times he was able to showcase his talents were during his high school career at Brunswick and while playing for Team USA.

“A lot of scouts come to different games and watch the kids play,” Shattenkirk said. “They were all over, especially during the International tournaments this year.”

From that, Shattenkirk was one of only 100 athletes invited to the National Hockey League Combine, which was held in Toronto at the Park Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.
At the hotel, scouts interviewed Shattenkirk and also evaluated his physical ability.

While excited about playing out west, Shattenkirk will be spending his next few years back on the East Coast, as this winter season will be his first with Boston University, a storied hockey program that has produced talent such as New York Islanders Rick DiPietro and Tom Poti, Atlanta Thrasher Keith Tkachuk, Calgary Flame Tony Amonte and Trumbull native Chris Drury, a Buffalo Sabre.

“Boston University is going to be great,” Shattenkirk said. “We have a great recruiting class coming in and lot of returners from last year’s team, so I think over the next few years we’re going to be a contender for the national championship. It’s going to be a fun spot to play hockey.”

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 02:10 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212410&hubname=

Joe Thornton signs a 3-year, $21.6M extension. Hopefully that will set the market.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Fernandez traded to the bruins

http://wild.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=326830

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Iggy rumored to have signed a 4-year extension to stay in Calgary

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
McLean and Zednik to Florida

Poti to DC- **** that, that's a total joke of a signing

Whitney re-signs in Pitt

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Matt decides if ya can't beat em join em..

Anaheim Ducks sign defenceman Mathieu Schneider to a two-year deal paying him $11.25 million.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
As Herc noted, we resigned Ryan Whitney....6 years/24 million, I think that is a bargain for a top young offensive defenseman. I think he was sixth in the NHL among defenseman in points last year as a 24 year old. He still needs work in his own end, but he is really a key part of our PP and is a great puck mover. Good deal.

I am also reading on a number of sites that we are working with Paul Kariya on a 3 year deal. He would look pretty good alongside Sid (although I'd prefer a 2 year deal instead of 3).

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 04:22 PM
At least the Caps beat writer at the WaPo said he's been told they aren't done for the day, after Poti I don't know how I should react.

With the TP signing, at least one of the Caps' young D-man probably on his way out through a trade.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
For you Avs fans, Buzz on the Burgh has this report:

Scott Hannan is looking like a longshot. Colorado has offered 4.5 million per season. Penguins offer was below 4 million. Maybe the oppurtunity to play in Pittsburgh will entice Hannan to take less money but it doesn't look good at the moment.

http://thebuzzontheburgh.blogspot.com/

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070701_152533_4800

Briere to Philly

8-years, $52M according to TSN

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
For you Avs fans, Buzz on the Burgh has this report:

Scott Hannan is looking like a longshot. Colorado has offered 4.5 million per season. Penguins offer was below 4 million. Maybe the oppurtunity to play in Pittsburgh will entice Hannan to take less money but it doesn't look good at the moment.

Still early, but I would have thought teams would be offering Hannan more.

Turf Shaman
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Still early, but I would have thought teams would be offering Hannan more.

I'd think so too. If the Avs could get him for 4.5 per I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Jens1893
07-01-2007, 05:05 PM
4:01pm et
Brian Rafalski agrees to a five year, $30 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Sarich to Calgary at $3.6M per year for 5 years

Rumor that Gomez might be on his way to Broadway.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
For Herc...

July 1, 2007
Capitals want top-line center
TheFourthPeriod.com

Capitals GM George McPhee is expected to be very active today, as he attempts to lure a free agent or two, reports the Washington Post.
McPhee, however, is not divulging any information and is holding his cards close to the chest.

"It doesn't help us today to talk about specifically what we would like to do," he told the Post. "We'll get involved, see how things are going and determine what's best for us on the fly.

"We have a strategy, and we'll see what develops when the market opens."

The team's top priority is signing a first-line center to set up star Alex Ovechkin and could pursue the likes of Michael Nylander, Mike Comrie, Michal Handzus and Alexei Yashin.
According to the Post, McPhee has a bigger budget than in recent seasons and could spend upwards of $42 million this year, after spending just $31 million last season.

"We certainly have guys we'd like to have signed and have put a price on," McPhee said.

"But we don't have anyone that we just got to have. That's the biggest mistake clubs make. Because you end up spending too much, then in November you left are wondering, 'Why did we do that?' "

The Capitals are also expected to chase defensemen Scott Hannan, Brad Stuart, Tom Preissing and Danny Markov.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/was070701.html

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks, saw the Post article last night. That one wasn't as positive as TFP's spin on it. I could live with Poti if they end up with Stuart or Hannan, and then move some of their excess prospects/picks for a 1st line C, or if they get another D-man and sign someone like Comrie or even Yashin.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Update on the previous report re: Hannan.

Updated 4:17. The Penguins appear to be a finalist for defenseman Scott Hannan. According to the Trib Calgary and LA also finalist. Talked to a good source who said its believed the Penguins offer is a 4yr deal worth around 3.5 million. Calgary appears to be the front runner offering over 4 million dollars but Hannan is reportedly still seriously considering Pittsburgh. Colorado is believed to have offered Hannan 4.25 million but now indications are they have turned their attention to making a run at Ryan Smith.

PenguinBuzz.com is reporting the Penguins have signed goaltender Danny Sabourin. No surprise here as i stated Friday night Shero was very impressed with Sabourin last year.

Turf Shaman
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
It doesn't really make sense that the Avs would pull out of pursuing Hannan in order to pursue Smyth. They play different positions and the Avs should have enough money to sign both.

24champ
07-01-2007, 06:09 PM
It doesn't really make sense that the Avs would pull out of pursuing Hannan in order to pursue Smyth. They play different positions and the Avs should have enough money to sign both.

Probably means the Avs are being outbid by somebody...like the Kings.:approve:

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070701_152533_4800

Briere to Philly

8-years, $52M according to TSN

Chadta will no doubt come unglued...;D

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Florida Panthers have signed forward Radek Dvorak to a two-year contract.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 07:31 PM
The 4th Period says that the Avs are close to inking Smyth for 5 years at over $6M per year.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
The 4th Period says that the Avs are close to inking Smyth for 5 years at over $6M per year.

I really like this pick up (if it happens) 2 maybe three solid O lines.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul to Philly for Pitkanen and Sanderson

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I dont think we'll be taking all 8 games from Philly anymore unfortunately.

Dammit...I was hoping we could cruise to the Atlantic title this year with NJ sustaining heavy losses, the Rags prolly losing Nylander.

Come on Shero, finish up the deals with Kariya and Hannan.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I totally missed this one...

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3721

TORONTO/NEW YORK (June 29, 2007) -- The National Hockey League Players’ Association and the National Hockey League announced today that the Team Payroll Range established for the 2007-08 League Year, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, provides for a Lower Limit of $34.3 million, an Adjusted Midpoint of $42.3 million and an Upper Limit of $50.3 million.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Gomez to the Rags, 7 years

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
And Ragland rejoiced

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922738

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
TSNs Real-Time List of free agents player signings (is garbage)

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Iam reading the rags also signed drury (but nothing solid yet)

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
It's solid WOW!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070701_162329_4180

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Damn, big day for the Rangers.

Blake goes to the Leafs also.

Bronx33
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
The Washington Capitals have signed forward Viktor Kozlov to a two-year deal worth $5 million.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Caps signing #2, Viktor Kozlov for 2-years and $5M total.

Not terrible if he's the RW signing and not the C signing. Next will be Yashin, and the Caps will have a 100% Russian 1st line.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Damn, big day for the Rangers.

Blake goes to the Leafs also.

If the rags don't get a cup next year the east river will be full suicides.

I dunno...they are good signings but they overpaid big time for Gomez...over 7m per season. And remember, now that they also signed Drury means that they cannot resign Shanahan and will also lose Nylander.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Colorado signs Scott Hannan.

4/18.

Damn, I wanted him.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Great signing by the Avs

and how did Bronx33 edit my post?

Opps my bad if i don't pay attention this happens ohhhh and iam the mod if ya didn't know.

Turf Shaman
07-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Awesome! It's not really a terrible overpayment either considering the inflated marketplace.

Jens1893
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Smyth To Colorado Done, Pending Avs' Acceptance
Today @ 10:37 PM ET | Comments (30)
TORONTO (July 1) -- Ryan Smyth has instructed agent Don Meehan to proceed with the Colorado Avalanche, accepting a five-year contract worth $31 million. Contract breaks down as follows:

Year 1: $8 million ($4 million salary/$4 million signing bonus)

Year 2: $7.25 million

Year 3: $6.5 million

Year 4: $5.25 million

Year 5: $4.0 million

Contract has a no-movement clause.

Meehan has told Avs' GM Francois Giguere that Smyth is his if he accepts all terms of the deal. Could be done soon.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com
Tags: Avalanche

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Looks like the Avs might have signed Smyth, 6 years for $31M

theAPAOps5
07-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Well ESPN is reporting he went to Philly. I am now confused.

Never mind I am a dumb dumb I read Smith and it wasn't even the right spelling. The Avs have made some nice moves.

Jens1893
07-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Looks like the Avs might have signed Smyth, 6 years for $31M

Confirmed

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212495&hubname=

theAPAOps5
07-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Renting him out doesn't seem like such a good idea now does it Edmonton. Smyth has an uncanny knack to be near the net at the perfect time. I love his addition to the team.

Turf Shaman
07-02-2007, 12:23 AM
The Avs kicked some major ass today.

SoCalBronco
07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
The Avs kicked some major ass today.

You guys definitely did.

I am waiting for Shero to do something. I am hearing that we are extremely close to signing Kariya and Danny Markov, should be official in the morning but we will see.

EDIT: Crap, Kariya just signed with STL. WTF. I thought we had this wrapped up. Dammit Shero.

Kid A
07-02-2007, 12:47 AM
This is awesome. I'm really excited about next years team which should have a great blend of young talent and proven stars. Any rumors of other possible targets as we head into the second tier of free agency? I'm really happy with today's moves, so nothing will upset me from here on out.

Breck Bronc
07-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Awesome that we got Hannan and Smyth. Two guys that killed the Avs in the past and two types of players the Avs needed; a defensive defenseman and a forward who can score garbage goals. Now we just need for Foppa's ankle to heal properly and sign him to round of the team.

Love the first two lines:

Wolski-Sakic-Bruno
Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk

Add a healthy Leopold and Hannan to a blueline that played much better in the last quarter of the season. I can't wait for training camp to roll around, both Avs and Broncos!!!

On another note, it's a shame that this thread is stuck in a sub-forum that nobody checks. Hockey fans already get the short end of the stick in America when it comes to coverage. How many Versus jokes have you seen in the last few months? Bill Simmons continually kills this league in his columns and chats. If ESPN rams any more NBA crap down my throat I'm going to puke.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
I just got back from this mini-vacation and was watching the bottom line on ESPN news and saw the Avs signed Scot Hannan. I thought that was cool, flipped back to a different channel and back again and saw the Smyth signing.

Ryan Smyth?!! WOW!! I almost couldn't be happier with these 2 signings. The only thing it tells me is that Forsberg won't be back with the Avs in all likelihood, which really does bum me out. I hope I'm wrong.

SoCalBronco
07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
I just got back from this mini-vacation and was watching the bottom line on ESPN news and saw the Avs signed Scot Hannan. I thought that was cool, flipped back to a different channel and back again and saw the Smyth signing.

Ryan Smyth?!! WOW!! I almost couldn't be happier with these 2 signings. The only thing it tells me is that Forsberg won't be back with the Avs in all likelihood, which really does bum me out. I hope I'm wrong.

Eh....I don't know about that....if he were to come back, it would prolly be on a 1 or 2 yr. deal anyway, so its not really a matter of jeopardizing the long term cap, its just a one shot type of deal, it would just be a matter of squeezing him into this year's balance sheet. I dunno how far under the cap you guys were coming into today, but depending on the figures...for a one year deal its entirely possible.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, that's the only hope and I know there's a shot . I REFUSE to get my hopes up though.

Jens1893
07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Eh....I don't know about that....if he were to come back, it would prolly be on a 1 or 2 yr. deal anyway, so its not really a matter of jeopardizing the long term cap, its just a one shot type of deal, it would just be a matter of squeezing him into this year's balance sheet. I dunno how far under the cap you guys were coming into today, but depending on the figures...for a one year deal its entirely possible.

I don´t know how accurate this is.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/col.html

B-Love
07-02-2007, 01:53 AM
My Blues get Kariya!!!!!

SoCalBronco
07-02-2007, 02:26 AM
PIT settles for Darryl Sydor and Petr Sykora.

Gay effort by the FO so far, but I think a trade is brewin'.

Turf Shaman
07-02-2007, 03:08 AM
I don´t know how accurate this is.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/col.html

Here's a good, up to date listing of the Avs cap situation:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=368222

Svatos is the only significant RFA (or, for that matter, UFA) the Avs still need to sign. After the sub par season he had, he will likely either accept his QO or get traded (maybe he is offered a one year deal for slightly more than his QO, but not much more). That leaves the Avs with about 6 or 7 million to spend. Plenty to sign either Forsberg or another significant signing and still have room left over to absorb salary in a midseason trade. There are still some good defensemen available (Brad Stuart, Tom Preissing, Danny Markov, Andy Sutton, etc.) and they could also use a forward to round out the bottom two lines.

The Avs are pretty stacked with top line talent right now so Forsberg probably isn't a priority, but I couldn't complain about him returning and finishing his career in an Avs uniform. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Smiling Assassin27
07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I trust everyone's happy with their new toys? Rafalski will do just fine in Detroit, thank you very much.

I really wanna see what the Avs look like with Smyth in the fold now.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I can now say with a bit of confidence, be afraid WC. ;D

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Preissing to the Queens.

Said to be 4yrs/11 mil.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212531&hubname=nhl

chadta
07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Chadta will no doubt come unglued...;D

:(

its like a bad dream, say it aint so, anybody else but why did we have to get the whiney biatch, altho all will be forgiven if he gets 100 goals and brings a cup to broad street. Dont get me wrong ill stop hating him once the season starts, but i still wont cheer for him.

but i am happy with all the other moves, i would expect more to come, we now have 7 top 6 forwards, and no real tough guy, we also only have one offensive defensman, i can see trading hatcher an one of our forwards for an offensive D man and a tough guy.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I see that Nylander did not end up in Edmonton, but signed with the Caps. 4 years at $19.5M for a 34-year old. Not sure how much I like that.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Well how bout that....May and Clodd reunite in Anaheim as Bertuzzi signs with the Ducks. Burke is getting all his thugs back together nicely.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212560&hubname=nhl

Other notables:

Owen Nolan signs with Calgary
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212564&hubname=nhl

Queens also add Nagy, Calder, and Handzsus.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212558&hubname=nhl

Our old pal, Ken Klee signs with Atlanta
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212557&hubname=nhl

What an exciting and busy couple of days. Man, I can't wait for hockey to start this year.

Mtbrncofn
07-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Giguere was sliding way down on my likeability scale til he pulled off the Smyth and Hannan deals. Then I go read **** like this and he gets right back where he was before.
From Spectors:

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports Colorado Avalanche GM Francois Giguere hinted that the possibility of bringing back Peter Forsberg may not happen, citing a desire not to alter the team chemistry much more from its current makeup. Giguere also won't re-sign UFA blueliner Ossi Vaananen.

What a doorknob.

Turf Shaman
07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Giguere was sliding way down on my likeability scale til he pulled off the Smyth and Hannan deals. Then I go read **** like this and he gets right back where he was before.
From Spectors:

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports Colorado Avalanche GM Francois Giguere hinted that the possibility of bringing back Peter Forsberg may not happen, citing a desire not to alter the team chemistry much more from its current makeup. Giguere also won't re-sign UFA blueliner Ossi Vaananen.

What a doorknob.

I saw the press conference... Dater (who is generally a pretty good reporter) is making an interpretation, and IMO, an invalid one. Dater asked him about Forsberg, and Giguere danced around the question with some GM speak. Nothing more to it than that. I don't think it has any bearing what so ever on whether or not the Avs are interested in bringing back Forsberg. I'm sure if Forsberg decides he wants to play in the NHL and is willing to work with the Avs cap situation with regards to a contract, the Avs would bring him back.

I'm not sure what there is to be so down on Giguere about, before or after these signings. I mean seriously, Lacroix completely bumbled his way through the first part of the salary cap era then left a huge mess on the plate of Giguere... frankly I think Giguere has done a phenomenal job cleaning it up. As it stands the one final mess to clean up is Theodore, and that will be gone after this season. I can't think of one really bad move Giguere has made...

Mtbrncofn
07-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I hope you're right.

The Theodore thing burns my ass. I wanted him gone this season. I was hoping for the buyout, but obviously that's not going to happen.

I guess maybe I'm not giving him a fair shot. I'm still in the old mode where the trade deadline was the most exciting thing next to the playoffs. Of course there were no big splashes made, which I know is a good thing. It's just hard to accept change sometimes.

I love the moves he's made lately though. ;D

SoCalBronco
07-04-2007, 01:49 AM
I hope you're right.

The Theodore thing burns my ass. I wanted him gone this season. I was hoping for the buyout, but obviously that's not going to happen.

I guess maybe I'm not giving him a fair shot. I'm still in the old mode where the trade deadline was the most exciting thing next to the playoffs. Of course there were no big splashes made, which I know is a good thing. It's just hard to accept change sometimes.

Avalanche | Theodore extension coming?
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:19:41 -0700

Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the Colorado Avalanche are beginning discussions on a contract extension for goaltender Jose Theodore, according to General Manager Francois Giguere.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#400032

Ok, I made that up. :)
(KFFL doesnt do hockey anyway)
:wiggle:

Mtbrncofn
07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Avalanche | Theodore extension coming?
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:19:41 -0700

Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the Colorado Avalanche are beginning discussions on a contract extension for goaltender Jose Theodore, according to General Manager Francois Giguere.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#400032

Ok, I made that up. :)
(KFFL doesnt do hockey anyway)
:wiggle:

I swear, you should be shot for that. So not cool, SoCal. :hitself:

24champ
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Kings signed Stuart today. Glad we didn't overpay for players like most teams did.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w78/ekaestle/Kingsnewbies.jpg

chadta
07-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Kings signed Stuart today. Glad we didn't overpay for players like most teams did.

no you didnt overpay but you got kyle calder ROFL!

on purpose ROFL!

Hilarious!

Turf Shaman
07-04-2007, 06:51 AM
I hope you're right.

Giguere has been in a tough situation. Look what Lacroix left for him:

Theodore
Sakic and Blake bonuses
Brisebois
Turgeon

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty bad right there. Need not elaborate on Theo... The bonuses were triggered because Lacroix declined the option years on their contracts... had Lacroix taken the options they would have been under contract at hefty prices, but at least they'd both be playing for the Avs. As it stood, the Avs were playing $10 million for the two of them, while only having Sakic actually playing for the team, instead of $13 million for both of them and having both of them playing for the team. As a result, they couldn't sign Tanguay or anyone else of note last year. And Brisebois and Turgeon never should have been signed to two year deals. So that right there is basically $14 million dollars in dead cap space left at Giguere's doorstep.

The whole buying out Theodore thing is debatable. I wanted it too, but it would have meant a $2 million cap hit next season, where as now he's off the books entirely after this year. They'd have saved about $4 million this year, but part of that would have to be used to sign a backup. I'd like him off the team but I can see why they'd decide it's not worth it to buy him out.

But I think Giguere has been really shrewd with some of his moves, like extending Bruno for 1.6 million (for a guy that scored 83 pts last year... a steal!) and resigning Leopold for 2 years at 1.5 million (if he's healthy he's worth a lot more). Even the Hannan and Smyth deals look pretty shrewd compared to some of the other contracts being dished out. I didn't really like resigning Arnason, but then McLean went to Florida and got a better contract, and all of the sudden that one looks pretty decent too.

Turf Shaman
07-04-2007, 06:52 AM

That was a great deal for the Kings. I guess it pays to be located in a place where all the players trophy wives want to live. :wiggle:

Killericon
07-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Zues at 4 is overpayment. The rest were solid.

I hop Nolan can do something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSb_5PHRb1w) in Calgary.

Jens1893
07-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Flames sign Iginla and Regehr to 5 year extensions. Iginla´s is worth 7m per year, Regehr´s 4m. 2 down, 2 to go (Phaneuf and Kiprusoff).

SoCalBronco
07-06-2007, 01:30 AM
We are working on a long term deal with Sid...heard something like 5 years to 8 years...Sid is going to take one for the team and take a discounted deal, something like 8.5 million...which is a huge bargain for the team...in fact the max of 10m would be a huge bargain (assuming the 10m is tied to a long deal), because the cap and the max will continue to rise. If you lock him in at 8.5 its almost criminal...in 2, 3 years, the max will prolly be around 13 million. If they can get him to sign a 8 year deal at 9 million per, that will be beyond awesome....although I've heard that he is willing to do that only if there are contractual guarantees that the team starts spending up to the cap immediately (i.e. starting next year), not waiting until the arena is built. I'm sure he's frustrated that the team still has not gotten any top notch wingers for himself and Geno...we are about 11 million under the ceiling and will prolly not be doing anything else this offseason unless a trade comes into play.

24champ
07-06-2007, 01:56 AM
We are working on a long term deal with Sid...heard something like 5 years to 8 years...Sid is going to take one for the team and take a discounted deal, something like 8.5 million...which is a huge bargain for the team...in fact the max of 10m would be a huge bargain (assuming the 10m is tied to a long deal), because the cap and the max will continue to rise. If you lock him in at 8.5 its almost criminal...in 2, 3 years, the max will prolly be around 13 million. If they can get him to sign a 8 year deal at 9 million per, that will be beyond awesome....although I've heard that he is willing to do that only if there are contractual guarantees that the team starts spending up to the cap immediately (i.e. starting next year), not waiting until the arena is built. I'm sure he's frustrated that the team still has not gotten any top notch wingers for himself and Geno...we are about 11 million under the ceiling and will prolly not be doing anything else this offseason unless a trade comes into play.

Speaking of Sid he looks good in a Kings uni...

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a7/d0/ea34_1.JPG

;D

EBAY stuff if you are interested Socal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sidney-Crosby-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-with-LOA_W0QQitemZ120137533633QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73421Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SoCalBronco
07-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Speaking of Sid he looks good in a Kings uni...

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a7/d0/ea34_1.JPG

;D

EBAY stuff if you are interested Socal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sidney-Crosby-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-with-LOA_W0QQitemZ120137533633QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73421Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Haha...i remember that.....Malkin was also in a Kings uni last year.

When are you doing your JMFJ interview, dude? Did you get any word? I hope that guy doesnt just give you the replies......how busy can he be...I mean he's JMFJ and all, but come on, he can spare half an hour.

Dukes
07-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Avs Sign Ryan Smyth!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922952

5yr $31 Million.

Finally something for us Avs fans to cheer about this offseason

24champ
07-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Haha...i remember that.....Malkin was also in a Kings uni last year.

When are you doing your JMFJ interview, dude? Did you get any word? I hope that guy doesnt just give you the replies......how busy can he be...I mean he's JMFJ and all, but come on, he can spare half an hour.

That's put on hold for awhile, I have a couple answers to the questions but I'm extremely busy and haven't had the time to stop and call him. I literally have been all over Colorado this week vacationing and last night was at the Rockies game for the fireworks. Something for you to chew on regarding JMFJ via his buddy...
The last 3 days I have been at the Johnson's house. In this time I learned Jack's routine everyday: Wake up early and meet the personal trainer at the gym, break for lunch, run a mile, and then workout again.

Jack and his trainer do upper body and lower body workouts on alternating days to keep him fresh and able to train every day. Jack literally trains every day of the week.

At different points he has worked out with 6-time gold medalist Michael Phelps and former All-American and Oakland Raider Tyrone Wheatley. There are machines in the gym that do not carry enough weight for Jack, forcing the trainer to add manual resistance to provide a sufficient challenge. I worked out with Jack all 3 days of my visit and can say that his training regimen is more rigorous than I have ever seen. You know how people watch Rocky and feel amped to go work out? I think Sylvester Stallone watched one of these workouts to get himself prepared to workout for the latest Rocky sequel. They are intense.

At one point, the trainer said "let's stop at 9 reps" and Jack refused, saying, "I am not done yet" before ripping off another 10. Jack is both extremely strong and fast; outrunning members of the Michigan track team AFTER his 3-hour weight lifting session.

The weekend was almost exclusively working out and spending time with FSN West, who is doing a story on Jack (set to air near the start of the regular season). I might make an appearance in that video if they choose to use an excerpt from my interview.

When I spoke with the trainer off to the side during a break (for us, not Jack, who does not take breaks during the sessions), I asked her if Jack's regimen was somewhat normal for an athlete. She laughed, saying, "I have worked with Olympic gold medalists and NFL first rounders, and none of them approach this kid's work ethic and raw strength and ability".

This morning involved a lighter session of jogging, stretching, and brief abdominal workouts. This evening, Jack returns to the full fledged upper body workout. As usual, the gym will be just him and the trainer. During this morning's session, Jack let me take a few videos of him for the purpose of posting on LGK. In the future, I will get videos of the more intense exercises to which I referenced above (i.e. heavy weight lifting). For now, these brief clips of the lighter workout will have to do.

The purpose of this post is to make you all realize what type of regimen Jack is on right now. He will literally slug me in the arm for going into this much detail about it here (the guy is shy about his training), but you all deserve to know just how ready this kid is going to be. He is determined to be the best defenseman in the game, and while that will not happen right away, I would not want to be the one telling him he can't be one day... and soon.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sDigi003 .flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sDigi004 .flv

I do need to get in touch with him again soon but we are probably looking at the end of the month because I am off on vacation for awhile and Jack has prospects camp this coming sunday etc. I hope to get a sitdown interview when they come to Denver for the Preseason game. We'll see, its a ways down the road though. :)

EDIT:

BTW Socal ,JMFJ is still PISSED about that Bulis play.:giggle:

Jens1893
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

The way the cap is rising kinda makes me wonder why there was a lockout.