PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v3.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

alkemical
03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
the pens won, that's what went right tonight

Mtbrncofn
03-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Nothing went right tonight. I don't think they're going to make up seven points. Saying that...if the Avs would have played with the same intensity in their own end all season instead of just the past 15 games or so...they'd already have a spot locked up.

Yeah, it would be a real miracle. How depressing!

SoCalBronco
03-28-2007, 12:10 AM
the pens won, that's what went right tonight

Yep, I think we officially clinched a playoff spot tonight too, and ofcourse remain tied with NJ for the Atlantic division lead. Good to see Sid with another 2 points stabilizing the scoring race. I am sitting watching the Sharks-Kings game and so far LA is holding Joe off the scoresheet.

Only thing that would be bad about winning the division would be that I think there is a decent chance that TB would be the 7 seed and we'd face them in the first round, which is to say, we'd be one and done in the playoffs. Please...avoid TB at all costs!

Breck Bronc
03-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm furious with Quenneville for putting Skrastins back in the lineup. The team defense was much better as soon as Skrastins went out with his injury. There was no reason to put him back in unless the defense started to collapse. It never did, but Scratch was still allowed back in the top-6 on the blueline.

Then he goes out there and does his customary job screening his own goalie on the PK. The combination of Theodore and Skrastins should have never been put back together. For the first 5 months of the season the team was killed by shots from the point on the powerplay going past tiny Theo while Skrastins screened him. With Budaj in net and Skrastins watching from the press box the penalty kill improved immensley.

Tonight's game was so frustrating to watch, from Rycroft hitting the post on a wide open net to the awful officiating in the second and third periods.

Mtbrncofn
03-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Tonight's game was so frustrating to watch, from Rycroft hitting the post on a wide open net to the awful officiating in the second and third periods.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that about the officiating. There sure was a lot of clutch and grab out there that wasn't called. That crap with McLean in the net about had me insane.

I was pissed with Q for going with Jose again tonight. Can't even blame this on him either. I hate it for Budaj though.

alkemical
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Yep, I think we officially clinched a playoff spot tonight too, and ofcourse remain tied with NJ for the Atlantic division lead. Good to see Sid with another 2 points stabilizing the scoring race. I am sitting watching the Sharks-Kings game and so far LA is holding Joe off the scoresheet.

Only thing that would be bad about winning the division would be that I think there is a decent chance that TB would be the 7 seed and we'd face them in the first round, which is to say, we'd be one and done in the playoffs. Please...avoid TB at all costs!

Yeah i don't want to see TB either..... For some reason the pens cannot beat them...

alkemical
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
NBC renews TV deal with league (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07087/773052-61.stm)

The NHL extended its partnership with NBC through next season, with an option for the 2008-2009 season.

The agreement, announced yesterday, will allow NBC to select from a minimum of three games on Sunday afternoons. Two weeks before, the network will pick one matchup as the "Game of the Week" to be shown nationally. The other two games will be televised locally.

In addition to regular-season games, NBC will continue to broadcast select playoff games on Saturdays and Sundays and Games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup final in prime time.

"In under two seasons, NBC has significantly elevated NHL broadcast coverage in the U.S.," commissioner Gary Bettman said. "We're delighted to have extended our partnership and look forward to next season's scheduled innovation, aimed at delivering the best possible action to hockey fans."

Killericon
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Interesting Players Poll. (http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=24100)

The Teams players least want to be traded to? The Sabres.

Sakic is the most respected player, Crosby is the best this year, Avery is both the most hated and the most overrated, and both Alberta teams have the best ice in the league.

bmanhas
03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that about the officiating. There sure was a lot of clutch and grab out there that wasn't called. That crap with McLean in the net about had me insane.

I was pissed with Q for going with Jose again tonight. Can't even blame this on him either. I hate it for Budaj though.

Cry me a river boys, it was soooooooooo sweet for us Canucks fans to end your season today. Not a chance you guys make up 7 points with 6 games left...........I love it.

Clockwork Orange
03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Cry me a river boys, it was soooooooooo sweet for us Canucks fans to end your season today. Not a chance you guys make up 7 points with 6 games left...........I love it.

If anyone would know about crying a river, it's Canchoke fans. Nice to see that you losers are still obssessed with the Avalanche, though. Some things never change.

We'll be seeing you do plenty of crying that after you go one and done in the playoffs yet again this year. :laugh:

bmanhas
03-28-2007, 06:51 PM
If anyone would know about crying a river, it's Canchoke fans. Nice to see that you losers are still obssessed with the Avalanche, though. Some things never change.

We'll be seeing you do plenty of crying that after you go one and done in the playoffs yet again this year. :laugh:

true, but this year we got Luongo baby!!!!

good luck in getting out Theodore's 5 mill / year.........long road back for the 'Lanche.......dumb trade, Abescheir for Theodore, at least Abby is a free agent this year.

Jori
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Avs sign Brett Hemingway to an ATO, he'll report to Albany. Hemingway was a draftee from 2003 and just completed his season at New Hampshire.

Hobey Hat Trick (http://www.uscho.com/news/id,14177/BrownEhnDuncanMakeUpHobeyHatTrick.html) announced:

Eric Ehn, Air Force Academy
Ryan Duncan, North Dakota
David Brown, Notre Dame

What a great story it would be if Ehn wins it.

Jori
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
true, but this year we got Luongo baby!!!!

good luck in getting out Theodore's 5 mill / year.........long road back for the 'Lanche.......dumb trade, Abescheir for Theodore, at least Abby is a free agent this year.

Common misconception. Theodore will be bought out, which will be a cap hit of 1.3 and 2.0 million the next two years respectively. They'll be out of the Brisebois/Turgeon contracts. The 4.6 million in bonuses to Sakic and Blake will be gone, plus the cap will go up. Colorado has some emerging young players on their roster and in their farm system and they'll have money to spend this off-season. The Avs will be in better shape next season.

Clockwork Orange
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Avs sign Brett Hemingway to an ATO, he'll report to Albany. Hemingway was a draftee from 2003 and just completed his season at New Hampshire.

Hobey Hat Trick (http://www.uscho.com/news/id,14177/BrownEhnDuncanMakeUpHobeyHatTrick.html) announced:

David Brown, Notre Dame

No Hensick? That's surprising.

Jori
03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Yup, Hensick not being there is a surprise. Yet, I'm hearing he's close to signing with the Avs. He could play in the last few regular season games (assuming the Avs are out of it, which it's safe to say they are) or could report to Albany. The Rats are only two points out of a playoff spot with 11 games to play.

Clockwork Orange
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Yup, Hensick not being there is a surprise. Yet, I'm hearing he's close to signing with the Avs. He could play in the last few regular season games (assuming the Avs are out of it, which it's safe to say they are) or could report to Albany. The Rats are only two points out of a playoff spot with 11 games to play.

Either way works for me as long as they get him signed. Hopefully it's not a long, dragged out process.

alkemical
03-29-2007, 12:34 PM

David Brown, Notre Dame

Nah, It would be great if David Brown wins it.... :)

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/2425.0.php

Penguins prospect David Brown is one of three finalists for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award.

Notre Dame senior goaltender Brown, a native of Stoney Creek, Ont., has been selected as one of three finalists for the coveted award that goes to college hockey’s top player. Joining Brown in the Hobey Hat Trick are North Dakota sophomore forward Ryan Duncan and Air Force junior forward Eric Ehn. The winner of the award will be announced on Friday, April 6, at 7 p.m. on ESPNU from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo., during the Frozen Four weekend.

Brown, the CCHA player of the year and most valuable player of the CCHA tournament, finished his season last week in the Midwest Regionals in Grand Rapids, Mich., with a 30-6-3 overall record to go with a 1.58 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage and six shutouts. He leads the nation in wins (30), goals-against average (1.58), is tied for second in save percentage (.931) and shutouts with six.

Mtbrncofn
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Ha!

They could still lose the division to the Mild too. :D

Bronx33
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
FLAMES just lose baby! just lose.

SoCalBronco
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Sid with 3 assists today in our win against Boston which puts us into first in the Atlantic. Now leads Thornton by 12 points with just a few games to go.

Calgary leads Minnesota 3-1 after 2 periods.

JMFJ (Jack Mother ****ing Johnson) makes his debut for the Kings in an hour vs. Vancouver. I can't wait to watch that kid play. He's going to lay out some folks.

I hope the Avs beat Phoenix tonight and Minnesota has a huge third period for MT's birthday.

Jens1893
03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I seriously donīt understand why you got so worked up over the scoring title race. Who cares about individual stats as long as the team wins?

SoCalBronco
03-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I seriously donīt understand why you got so worked up over the scoring title race. Who cares about individual stats as long as the team wins?

It's very important to me. It would be a huge achievement for him, if he can hold Thornton off (which is very likely). The first teenager ever to win a scoring title in a major North American sport. That's a big deal, and I'd really like him to win it.

Jens1893
03-29-2007, 09:50 PM
It's very important to me. It would be a huge achievement for him, if he can hold Thornton off (which is very likely). The first teenager ever to win a scoring title in a major North American sport. That's a big deal, and I'd really like him to win it.

Sure, thatīs understandable and Iīd like to see it myself also, but it kinda sounded like Crosbyīs stats were more important to you than winning the Atlantic and clinching the #2 seed. ;)

SoCalBronco
03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Sure, thatīs understandable and Iīd like to see it myself also, but it kinda sounded like Crosbyīs stats were more important to you than winning the Atlantic and clinching the #2 seed. ;)

Actually the Art Ross IS MORE IMPORTANT than getting the No. 2 seed, because if we were to get the No. 2 seed, we would likely play Tampa Bay and thereby we would likely be swept or win 1 game in the whole series, either way, we would be one and done. I'd love a division championship, especially on the heels of last year when we were the second worst team in the league (and for most of the year we were the worst team) but not at the expense of having to play Tampa Bay in the first round.

alkemical
03-29-2007, 11:55 PM
i don't care - i want crosby to win it. We are going to the playoffs no matter what and i'm going to enjoy this year.

Mtbrncofn
03-30-2007, 01:37 AM
I hope the Avs beat Phoenix tonight and Minnesota has a huge third period for MT's birthday.

Well at least the first part worked out! Thanks to those assclowns in Minny, no ground gained.

alkemical
03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
The pens won for you Mtn.... ;)

Mtbrncofn
03-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey thanks, ames! :D

Tredici
03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Okay. I had to go on a search for the thread. You slackers.

Great game at The Can today. Budaj was rock solid. Defense was a little ragged at times but the held on through a 40 second 5 on 3. That Harding guy is another biggie. Where are all these huge goalies coming from?

Anyway, are we ever going to include a shot from the point in the PP again? Was Blake the last one who could do that? I think Lyles could rocket one hard enough for a rebound try, but it isn't done. I can't remember the last time I saw any type of slapshot from the Avs.

Good win though.

Woot.

Clockwork Orange
03-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Okay. I had to go on a search for the thread. You slackers.

Great game at The Can today. Budaj was rock solid. Defense was a little ragged at times but the held on through a 40 second 5 on 3. That Harding guy is another biggie. Where are all these huge goalies coming from?

Anyway, are we ever going to include a shot from the point in the PP again? Was Blake the last one who could do that? I think Lyles could rocket one hard enough for a rebound try, but it isn't done. I can't remember the last time I saw any type of slapshot from the Avs.

Good win though.

Woot.

It just so happens that one of the hardest shooting defensemen in the NHL is going to be a UFA at seasons end.

http://www.habsworld.net/images/slides/_Souray_02.jpg

Only problems are that he's somewhat deficient on the actual defensive side and the price for UFA defensemen is more inflated than minibar cashews. Still, if you're looking for a rocket shot from the blue line, he's your man.

Nice to see the boys still battling. 12-1-2 over their last 15 games, though it may not be enough to get them into the postseason, it definitely gives me a much better feeling about this team going into next season.

By the way, Peter Budaj tied the franchise record for wins in a month with his 11th in March. One more victory and he pushes his total to 30 for the season. Not bad for a kid who took over the starting duties in late December and who plays behind a mediocre defense.

Mtbrncofn
03-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Great game, great win. Go Cansucks...ugh. It's like rooting for the Wings.

SoCalBronco
04-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Pen's plans aim to make life better for loyal fans
Sunday, April 01, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Elvis won't want to leave this building.

Not with the larger seats, more leg room, better views, more concessions, and high-definition video.

The Penguins are designing a new $290 million arena that will be fit for a king -- or better yet, for the fans who have endured roof leaks, obstructed views, and cramped concourses at the Igloo for years.

From a glass atrium that will span some five stories and offer views of the Downtown skyline to open concourses at each end that will allow people to catch the action below while buying a hot dog, the goal is to provide a "cutting-edge" experience for fans, Penguins President Ken Sawyer said.

"I just think we're going to have such a terrific building. People are going to be dazzled by the feel inside of it," he said.

The Penguins also will be looking out for the fans at home. They intend to invite broadcast crews and the National Hockey League into the new building to scout out the best locations for TV cameras, lock those in first, and then build around them.

"With HD technology, you particularly want to make sure you maximize the TV experience," Mr. Sawyer said.

The Penguins are working with HOK, the national architectural firm that designed PNC Park and Heinz Field, to develop plans for their new home, which will be built across the street from Mellon Arena. They've been crafting the design for nearly two months, even as they wrangled with state and local leaders to get a new arena deal.

While much of the work is still in the conceptual stage, the team has plenty of ideas to capitalize on the revenue-generating potential of the building.

What once was considered a curse -- the many years it took to get an arena deal in place -- now is working to the Penguins' advantage, as they are able to pick the best features of the newer arenas and incorporate them into their design.

Among the buildings that will serve as guides will be those in Minnesota, Columbus, Florida, Phoenix and Montreal.

The new arena will have about 18,500 seats, some 1,500 more than Mellon. The seats will be larger, with more leg room in the aisles, and "great sight lines from the lowest seat to the absolute highest," Mr. Sawyer said.

There will 65 to 70 suites; there are 50 at Mellon Arena. Mr. Sawyer said they will be larger than the current suites and closer to the ice. The suites also will have Internet access, concierge service and other amenities.

As in Mellon Arena, the Penguins plan to offer more expensive club seating between the blue lines. Fans with those seats also will have their own lounge, the major difference being this one will be at concourse level so they can watch the action rather than going inside without a view of the ice.

The Penguins are promising improved views for virtually all ticket holders. Seats generally will be closer to the ice. The team also is looking at design innovations to bring the upper end zone sections closer to the action.

There will be no obstructed views, as there are in Mellon Arena, where some ticket holders can't see the scoreboard and a few others don't have a look at center ice.

And there will be wider concourses, more concessions, some with a distinct Pittsburgh flavor, and more souvenir stations. In all, the new arena will total some 700,000 square feet, compared to 420,000 at Mellon.

The new scoreboard will feature larger video screens, with high definition capability. An LED board will ring the arena at the suite level and will be used for statistics, animation and advertising.

But with the improved views, better seats, and new amenities usually comes higher ticket prices. A Penguins spokesman said it was too early to discuss ticket prices, but the Steelers and Pirates both raised ticket prices when they moved into their new homes in 2001.

For Sidney Crosby and his teammates, the new arena will feature improved locker rooms and training and exercise facilities.

The players will be able to go directly to the locker room from the bench without having to cross the ice. There also will be a small theater in the locker room where coaches and players can watch tapes of opponents and other film.

Any palace fit for a king should have an entrance, and the new arena will be no exception. It will feature a glass atrium, rising from Fifth Avenue and spanning five stories.

There will be escalators to take fans to the ticketing level and the main concourse.

At the suite level, the team is planning a large restaurant facing Downtown, where diners will be able to look out at the skyline and watch the crowd coming into the arena. Above that, a brew pub is in the works, also with views of the skyline.

Mr. Sawyer said the atrium with its open feel and the views of Downtown and the Epiphany Church, which will sit in front of the arena, probably will be what visitors remember most about the building.

Just as Heinz Field has the Coca-Cola Great Hall, the Penguins also intend to pay homage to their on-the-ice legends.

Their proposed hall of fame, albeit smaller, will pay tribute to team history, the Penguins' Stanley Cup runs in the early 1990s, and, of course, Mario Lemieux. And, Mr. Sawyer said playfully, the team might set aside some space "for another player coming along" right now.

Construction of the arena is expected to begin in the fall. Mr. Sawyer said keeping the project within the $290 million budget will be a "challenge" but he added he believes it can be done.

"We certainly have that expectation as we sit here now," he said.

The construction will be funded with $15 million a year in slots gambling-related revenues and $4.2 million a year from the team.

Like Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, the Penguins hope to take advantage of the arena's newness to recruit more events and concerts. Mr. Sawyer said promoters like new buildings because they generally create a "buzz" and generate larger audiences.

The Penguins already have talked to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about bringing another All-Star Game to Pittsburgh. The last was here in 1990. They also have an interest in hosting the "Frozen Four," the NCAA hockey equivalent of the Final Four in basketball.

Mr. Sawyer said the Penguins also want to work with Pitt and Duquesne to bring the NCAA men's basketball tournament back. The city hosted the early rounds in 1997 and 2002.

"Clearly with college basketball being so significant here in Pittsburgh, I think we would be a great host city," he said. "We'll now have the capacity to do it."

But don't expect the National Basketball League to be part of the action. Mr. Sawyer said he doesn't believe a market the size of Pittsburgh can support professional basketball and hockey.

"It's just not possible," he said. "The NBA just wouldn't come here. The market's not big enough."

However, the Penguins might take a stab at bringing the U.S. Figure Skating Championships to Pittsburgh and maybe even national political conventions.

They also have a keen interest in hosting the NHL's annual entry draft, held each year in June. "Although we don't expect to be picking high," Mr. Sawyer added with a chuckle, because the teams with the worst records pick first.

(Mark Belko can be reached at mbelko@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1262. )

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07091/773908-61.stm

Jori
04-01-2007, 02:07 AM
Great game, great win. Go Cansucks...ugh. It's like rooting for the Wings.

So much for that.

If you believe in miracles.....

Avs need to win all four of their games and have Calgary go 0-4-0 or 0-3-1. Safe to say the party is over. It was a great run for the Avs. It'll be nice to dump the dead wood in the offseason. This is a playoff team next year, barring crazy injuries and management spending foolishly in the off-season.

Somebody mention Souray. As much as I love the booming shot, I hope the Avs bring in somebody who can actually play defense.

Bronx33
04-01-2007, 04:15 PM
The flames are pissin me off!

Pendejo
04-01-2007, 05:15 PM
The flames are pissin me off!

Yeah, but you have to give credit where it is due. (Don't you?) The Flames felt the Avs breathing down their necks, and have gone on a pretty impressive winning streak. They've knocked off some top teams.

F Kurt Sauer for playing like a pussy for most of his career, and finally understanding that he really is a big guy...just a tad too late.

Under the leadership of the ageless Joe Sakic...the Avs and their gang of high scoring youngster and Milan Hejduk will be right back in the hunt next year.

Bronx33
04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but you have to give credit where it is due. (Don't you?) The Flames felt the Avs breathing down their necks, and have gone on a pretty impressive winning streak. They've knocked off some top teams.

F Kurt Sauer for playing like a p***Y for most of his career, and finally understanding that he really is a big guy...just a tad too late.

Under the leadership of the ageless Joe Sakic...the Avs and their gang of high scoring youngster and Milan Hejduk will be right back in the hunt next year.

Of course but they are still pissin me off :P

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Peter Budaj named 1st Star for the month of March.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=298541

Budaj posted a 10-0-2 record with a 2.24 goals-against average and .910 save percentage in 13 games as the Avalanche remained in the Western Conference playoff chase by earning points in 13 of 14 contests. The 24-year-old native of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia allowed three goals or fewer in 11 of 13 games, including his fifth career shutout in a 2-0 victory at Boston March 6, and tied the franchise record for goaltender wins in a month set by Daniel Bouchard with the Quebec Nordiques in February, 1981. Budaj improved his season record to 29-15-6 with a 2.70 goals-against average, .905 save percentage and three shutouts.

alkemical
04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
In case you missed it two weekends ago, the NHL on NBC (Bruins-Penguins and Rangers-Islanders, regionally) drew a larger national audience than ABC's NBA telecast (Suns-Kings).

bronco militia
04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
go avs tonight...

go flames if they match up with the Wings in the 1st round

Pendejo
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
In case you missed it two weekends ago, the NHL on NBC (Bruins-Penguins and Rangers-Islanders, regionally) drew a larger national audience than ABC's NBA telecast (Suns-Kings).

I watched the Rangers/Isles game, so I did my part I guess. The NHL with all of it's problems is still a superior product to what they put out on an NBA court.

Mtbrncofn
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Wow!

Well tonight is make or break for the Avs. Go Avs!

Jori
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Avs sign (http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=887) Chris Stewart :yayaya:

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Avs sign (http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=887) Chris Stewart :yayaya:

^5

Now get Hensick's deal done.

clean
04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Avs lead 3 to 2 late in the second period.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270403003

Pendejo
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Avs lead 3 to 2 late in the second period.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270403003

Sakic has three assists so far...giving him 94 points on the season.

(Edit: Add a goal for Sakic to the tally...95 points.)

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Avs win 4-3 to keep their season alive for the moment. Peter Budaj picks up his 30th win of the season.

Let me just say that if I've got a big game that I have to win, I'll take Joe Sakic on my side over anyone in the NHL.

Bronx33
04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Thank god that blatant dive by phenuef* didn't cost us the win that ref should be ashamed he fell for that weak attempt.

Breck Bronc
04-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Great win by a team I'm proud to root for, even if they don't make the playoffs.

Joe Sakic has officially moved past John Elway as my favorite athlete ever. The guy is amazing on the ice and a better person off it. It's been an honor to watch him for the last 13 years.

Bronx33
04-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Great win by a team I'm proud to root for, even if they don't make the playoffs.

Joe Sakic has officially moved past John Elway as my favorite athlete ever. The guy is amazing on the ice and a better person off it. It's been an honor to watch him for the last 13 years.

Moved ahead of dino into 15th all time and 1 behind bobby hull. !Booya!

Dukes
04-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I didn't get a chance to watch the game, no suprise it wasn't televised in Cali. Although my wife did seem suprised by my joyous outburst after seeing the final score!

alkemical
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Pens **** the bed.

Mtbrncofn
04-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank god that blatant dive by phenuef* didn't cost us the win that ref should be ashamed he fell for that weak attempt.

Huselius' was a beaut too. Talk about embellishing! Great win, boys! Keep it up. :)

clean
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Tied 1 to 1 in the first period.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270405022

Also, SJ better dominate Calgary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=270405018

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Milan is on a mean streak! He had a hat trick to give the Avs the win!!

Oh and Calgary is currently down 2-1

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/MILAN-1.jpg

Kid A
04-06-2007, 12:32 AM
come on sharks!

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Boy, the game on Sunday could be an epic one ...

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:36 AM
come on sharks!

Indeed! They are up 2-1 after the 2nd Period.:sunshine:

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Boy, the game on Sunday could be an epic one ...

Unfortunately Colorado plays Nashville on Saturday while Calgary plays the lowly Oilers. We'll know saturday night for sure.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Holy smokes, what a game! Sharks are up 4-1 for now too! w00t!

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Lames score to make it 4-2.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:56 AM
So basically Colorado has to win it's next two games and Calgary has to lose tonight and it's next two for the Avs to make the playoffs?

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Yep.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Yep.

Sounds easy enough ;D

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
So basically Colorado has to win it's next two games and Calgary has to lose tonight and it's next two for the Avs to make the playoffs?

Almost. If Calgary loses twice in OT from here on out they are in. Basically, you have to win out and they have to lose out in regulation twice or lose out with at most one of the losses being in OT.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Almost. If Calgary loses twice in OT from here on out they are in. Basically, you have to win out and they have to lose out in regulation twice or lose out with at most one of the losses being in OT.

Right, I forgot that you still get 1 point for an OT loss.

theAPAOps5
04-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately Colorado plays Nashville on Saturday while Calgary plays the lowly Oilers. We'll know saturday night for sure.

Damn Edmonton. They rented out their heart and it might come back to bite our arses. I wish they would have pulled off this run about 7-10 games earlier.

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 01:01 AM

The Avs will take care of business on Sunday ...

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:02 AM
The Avs will take care of business on Sunday ...

Sadly it won't matter if Edmonton lays an egg on Saturday

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Iginla scores again to make it 4-3. Only a few mins left though, I think SJ will hold on.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Yikes, Lames just scored again, making it a one goal game.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:05 AM
The refresh rates on ESPN and Foxspots must suck. They still have the game being 4-2. Bastards

theAPAOps5
04-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Damn it hold on San Jose. Give us some hope.

Jens1893

The Oilers might be crap this season, but maybe they want to end the season on a positive note and defeat their arch rival in the last game of the season.

theAPAOps5
The refresh rates on ESPN and Foxspots must suck. They still have the game being 4-2. Bastards

I thought the same thing then went to nhl.com and it was behind them. Came back to espn.com and it had been refreshed.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:07 AM
The Oilers might be crap this season, but maybe they want to end the season on a positive note and defeat their arch rival in the last game of the season.

We can only hope. It'll really be a shame if Colorado ends it's Playoff streak.

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Big save by Nabokov

theAPAOps5
04-06-2007, 01:08 AM
I have 2:16 on espn. Hold on for the love of GOD hold on!

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Game over, SJ holds on.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Oh thank GOD!! Whew. Way to go, Sharks!

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Why weren't you guys listening on the radio that you can listen to on NHL.com? That's where I was!

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Two more to go boys! We're not done YET!!! All we need is a puck to land here, a deflection there, and we're in the playoffs!

theAPAOps5
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Thank you Jebus, THANK YOU. Now come on Edmonton play like you want to end your arch rivals season.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Why weren't you guys listening on the radio that you can listen to on NHL.com? That's where I was!

Wife has a migraine, must be silent.

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 01:12 AM

I had the same idea and tuned in just as the game ended. :)

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Wife has a migraine, must be silent.

I feel for you. I'm mean. If my husband had the migraine, I'd tell him to go sleep it off in the car. ;D

Dude, this stuff is important, life or death here!

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I feel for you. I'm mean. If my husband had the migraine, I'd tell him to go sleep it off in the car. ;D

Damn. :)

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:20 AM

Dude, this stuff is important, life or death here!

^5 Not quite as severe as the Broncos, but it's still gunna hurt if the Avs don't make it to the playoffs.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Damn. :)

The funny thing is that you guys think I'm kidding.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
The funny thing is that you guys think I'm kidding.

That's pretty harsh considering it's Montana Ha!

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:25 AM
^5 Not quite as severe as the Broncos, but it's still gunna hurt if the Avs don't make it to the playoffs.

Oh I'll be a bitch for weeks. No one wants to live with me when they get knocked out of the playoffs. I change my voice mail messages and warn all callers. It's serious.

I pout for a lot longer about hockey for some reason. :)

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:27 AM
That's pretty harsh considering it's Montana Ha!

Ha! We've lived here forever, he's well acclimatized. :)

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Oh I'll be a b**** for weeks. No one wants to live with me when they get knocked out of the playoffs. I change my voice mail messages and warn all callers. It's serious.

It's been a lot easier for me since I moved out of Colorado. But since I'm moving back in a month, next year will be rough when/if they get knocked out of the playoffs.

I'm still upset about getting beat out by San Jose in '02

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm still upset about getting beat out by San Jose in '02

You and me both. The sweep from last year still gets my blood boiling too.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:33 AM
You and me both. The sweep from last year still gets my blood boiling too.

And being disgraced by the Wild in '03

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:34 AM
And being disgraced by the Wild in '03

Horrid way for Roy to go out.

Killericon
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
****ing Sharks...

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Oh I'll be a b**** for weeks. No one wants to live with me when they get knocked out of the playoffs. I change my voice mail messages and warn all callers. It's serious.

So if Edmonton flattens Calgary 5-2 at the Saddledome........and then Peter has a 4 point night to beat you guys in regulation on Saturday, are you saying you would be in a bad mood? I just want to make sure I understand this right.

;D

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Horrid way for Roy to go out.

Although for me '04 was the most disappointing season. We bring in Selanne, Kariya (One of my all-time favorite players) and they just can't bring anything together. Talk about frustration. That was also the year ESPN did "The Season" on the Avs. And to this day I haven't seen one minute of that show.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
So if Edmonton flattens Calgary 5-2 at the Saddledome........and then Peter has a 4 point night to beat you guys in regulation on Saturday, are you saying you would be in a bad mood? I just want to make sure I understand this right.

;D

What, are you trying to induce a heart attack right here, right now?! Bad mood wouldn't even begin to describe it. ;D

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Although for me '04 was the most disappointing season. We bring in Selanne, Kariya (One of my all-time favorite players) and they just can't bring anything together. Talk about frustration. That was also the year ESPN did "The Season" on the Avs. And to this day I haven't seen one minute of that show.

Oh you missed out, it was pretty good.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Oh you missed out, it was pretty good.

That's what being in Okinowa does for you! Did they ever put that season on DVD?

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Sig test :)

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Sig test :)

That looks pretty cool, Jens.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:50 AM
That's what being in Okinowa does for you! Did they ever put that season on DVD?

I thought someone had mentioned it once, but I could be wrong. Its funny you missed it. After seeing you like Kariya, he's the one I remember the most about in it. He was just damn funny. He's a total cheapskate which got him made fun of by everyone else and it was hysterical.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 01:51 AM
I thought someone had mentioned it once, but I could be wrong. Its funny you missed it. After seeing you like Kariya, he's the one I remember the most about in it. He was just damn funny. He's a total cheapskate which got him made fun of by everyone else and it was hysterical.

Now i'm really upset. Maybe I can find it somewhere

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 01:54 AM
That looks pretty cool, Jens.

Thanks.

I am going to Game 1 of the DEL Finals next week, btw. My first hockey game in 4 or 5 years ...

http://tickets.saparena.de//Internetverkauf/pics/SeatPlan/10/Stadionansicht.DE/stadion.gif

Last row of Section 410 ... some guys actually told me that it was better to sit higher behind the goal.

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I think itīs absolutely retarded that the DEL Playoffs are Best of Seven in the QFs and Best of Five afterwards ... even more moronic to have the series in a 1-1-1-1-1 format.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
I think itīs absolutely retarded that the DEL Playoffs are Best of Seven in the QFs and Best of Five afterwards ... even more moronic to have the series in a 1-1-1-1-1 format.

That sounds really tiring for the teams.

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 02:02 AM
That sounds really tiring for the teams.

Bear in mind that Germany is slightly smaller than Montana ... but I still think itīs moronic as it makes having home ice less important.

Pendejo
04-06-2007, 02:14 AM

Jim Cummins had played with him in Anaheim I believe, so he really gave Paul the business. The funniest thing was when Paul was sort of moving across the locker room floor like a worm trying to stretch out or something. Cummins looked at him and said "Paul what the hell are you doing?"

Cummins' only real contribution to the team was the commentary he provided during that program.

SoCalBronco
04-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Big win over Ottawa tonight. We will have that first round home ice against them if we can beat the Rangers on Saturday night and Boston beats Ottawa. Dammit...playoffs dont start until Wednesday, that gives Geno and the Gronk (Staal) alot of time to get piss drunk again at clubs.

Killericon
04-06-2007, 02:45 AM
I just saw this in an NHL.com article (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=1206&season=20062007&gameType=2) and it blew my mind.
Khabibulin stopped a season-high 56 shots through overtime, then three of four Detroit shooters in the shootout, to help the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings 3-2 Thursday night.But more importantly,
According to Blackhawks team officials, Khabibulin lost between 12 and 15 pounds during the contest.Are they ****ing serious? Holy ****. If that's all sweat, which is basically water, that's between 1.4 and 1.8 gallons (5.4 to 6.8 liters).

I used to hate this guy for not bringing my Hawks out of the basement...but it's hard to after that.

Nuggets4
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Watch Altitude this summer. They have a lack of programming when no football, basketball or hockey is going on and they re-show a lot of programs like that.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Jim Cummins had played with him in Anaheim I believe, so he really gave Paul the business. The funniest thing was when Paul was sort of moving across the locker room floor like a worm trying to stretch out or something. Cummins looked at him and said "Paul what the hell are you doing?"

Cummins' only real contribution to the team was the commentary he provided during that program.

You're right! I remember him giving Kariya crap about being cheap when he could afford not to be, too.

Cummins was pretty funny.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I just saw this in an NHL.com article (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=1206&season=20062007&gameType=2) and it blew my mind.
But more importantly,
Are they ****ing serious? Holy ****. If that's all sweat, which is basically water, that's between 1.4 and 1.8 gallons (5.4 to 6.8 liters).

I used to hate this guy for not bringing my Hawks out of the basement...but it's hard to after that.

That is pretty incredible. How do they find that out? Are the players weighed before and after every game?

Clockwork Orange
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Wings sign Datsyuk, 7 years, $46.9 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203000&hubname=

$6.7 million per season for the next 7 years seems like a steep price to pay for a guy who's never been a factor in the playoffs.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Wings sign Datsyuk, 7 years, $46.9 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203000&hubname=

$6.7 million per season for the next 7 years seems like a steep price to pay for a guy who's never been a factor in the playoffs.

Seems like everyone wins. Datsyuk gets his contract, Detroit gets their Center of the future, and now Detroit has that much less money to spend on other players. :wiggle:

bronco militia
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
dat sucks!

Clockwork Orange
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Seems like everyone wins. Datsyuk gets his contract, Detroit gets their Center of the future, and now Detroit has that much less money to spend on other players. :wiggle:

I'd say the loser in this one is the Buffalo Sabres. The price tag for Daniel Briere & Chris Drury (both UFA's this offseason) just went up even more. Safe to say that they can kiss at least one of them goodbye.

Jens1893
04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd say the loser in this one is the Buffalo Sabres. The price tag for Daniel Briere & Chris Drury (both UFA's this offseason) just went up even more. Safe to say that they can kiss at least one of them goodbye.

Do the Avs have the money to make a splash and bring back Drury?

Clockwork Orange
04-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Yes, they do.

Mtbrncofn
04-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I was going to ask before: so who saw the Julien firing coming? Seemed like it came out of left field to me.

Dukes
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM

That would be a dream come true. I wish the Avs would stop trading my favorite players, Drury and Tangs. The only safe player on that team in Sakic

Dukes
04-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Saw this article on the front page of ESPN - NHL Home page. Not a bad summarization of the Avs season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2828186

Clockwork Orange
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
As much fun as this run by the Avs has been, I think it ends tomorrow.

Let's face it, the Oilers are awful. Godawful. Pitiful on a level only exceeded by the soul crushing sadness that is Bob's everyday life.

I know that they're provincial rivals and all, but Edmonton is just so bad that I can't see them pulling one out against Calgary. It's sports, so anything can happen, but I just can't see it.

Either way, it's been a fun ride and they've given us a lot of encouragement for next season. Whatever happens, happens.

Tredici
04-07-2007, 02:42 AM

I dunno. For an old dude he was totally ripped when he pulled off the sweater. I appreciated that contribution...

:yayaya:

Pendejo
04-07-2007, 03:45 AM
I dunno. For an old dude he was totally ripped when he pulled off the sweater. I appreciated that contribution...

:yayaya:

I said contribution to the team...not your libido Tredici.

Dukes
04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
As much fun as this run by the Avs has been, I think it ends tomorrow.

Let's face it, the Oilers are awful. Godawful. Pitiful on a level only exceeded by the soul crushing sadness that is Bob's everyday life.

I know that they're provincial rivals and all, but Edmonton is just so bad that I can't see them pulling one out against Calgary. It's sports, so anything can happen, but I just can't see it.

Either way, it's been a fun ride and they've given us a lot of encouragement for next season. Whatever happens, happens.

Although I agree with you, I'm not giving up hope. Not until it's 00:00 on the clock.

I do think it's awfully strange out of all the games that could have been canceled because of snow, it just so happened it was against Calgary.

If the Avs to make it into the playoff, there's no doubt they got a little help because of that canceled game in December.

Mtbrncofn
04-08-2007, 12:03 AM
What a damn crying shame. Literally. I had hope, but I guess not this year. I just hope the Lames get swept right out by the Wings...the Wild too.

Thanks for a great season, Avs! This last month and a half was spectacular to watch.

theAPAOps5
04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
What a damn crying shame. Literally. I had hope, but I guess not this year. I just hope the Lames get swept right out by the Wings...the Wild too.

Thanks for a great season, Avs! This last month and a half was spectacular to watch.

Man I am there with you Mtbrncofn, I thought we could do this. My wife came out of our room and saw me hitting the damn controller on the coffee table. She said, sorry the Avs lost. I asked her how she knew and she said well I am pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard you screaming Nooooo and F uck and cursing and hitting the wall. ;D

Dukes
04-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I didn't get to watch the game, so I guess i've got that going for me. On the up side we've got a pretty good young core of players. The future looks hopeful!

Mtbrncofn
04-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Man I am there with you Mtbrncofn, I thought we could do this. My wife came out of our room and saw me hitting the damn controller on the coffee table. She said, sorry the Avs lost. I asked her how she knew and she said well I am pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard you screaming Nooooo and F uck and cursing and hitting the wall. ;D

Hey that sounds familiar. :)

The officiating in this game was subpar to say the least. They were letting stuff go left and right, both sides.

Jori
04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
That was a tough drive home from the arena tonight

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 12:38 AM
And Edmonton knocks off Calgary. Talk about a missed opportunity.

Jori
04-08-2007, 12:42 AM
And Edmonton knocks off Calgary. Talk about a missed opportunity.

That and the first 60 games of the season. Calgary probably slacked off when they knew the Avs had lost.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 12:44 AM
That and the first 60 games of the season.

Of course. They don't get a pass for deciding to start playing balls to the wall in March. This run was great, but it doesn't excuse the mediocrity we saw for the first several months of the season.

Jori
04-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Should also say congratulations to Michigan State for winning the Frozen Four tonight. Just goes to show how wide open it was this year. Can't wait to have all these crazy college hockey fans in Denver next year!

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 01:53 AM
The playoff matchups are all set in the West and nearly set in the East.

Western Conference
1. Detroit vs. 8. Calgary
2. Anaheim vs. 7. Minnesota
3. Vancouver vs. 6. Dallas
4. Nashville vs. 5. San Jose

Eastern Conference
1. Buffalo vs. 8. N.Y. Islanders/Toronto
2. New Jersey vs. 7. Tampa Bay
3. Atlanta vs. 6. N.Y. Rangers
4. Ottawa vs. 5. Pittsburgh

Pendejo
04-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Of course. They don't get a pass for deciding to start playing balls to the wall in March. This run was great, but it doesn't excuse the mediocrity we saw for the first several months of the season.

Change mediocrity to "disinterest in their own end" and I'm with you.

The positives going into next season are that they've freed up some money, and can make themselves better. Hopefully on the blueline. Once again they can score a lot of goals. Peter Budaj had a fine year, and he should have earned Quenville's confidence. If not...fvck Q. His goalie yanking bullsh!t is about ten years played out.

Get 'em next year boys.

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 04:58 AM
So who are the Avs fans rooting for in the playoffs now?

I'm saying go Predators in the West and go Penguins in the East. I'll also be pulling for the Thrashers in the East just because I'd love to see the "traditionalists" lose their minds over a Nashville/Atlanta Stanley Cup Finals. :laugh:

Jori
04-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Buffalo. Been a Drury fan since he was a Terrier, would like to see that town win something.

SoCalBronco
04-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Sorry Avs fans. :( I was hoping you guys would get in which would have set up another classic Detroit-Colorado battle.

There is, however, alot for you to be excited about. So many great young talents mixed in with outstanding veterans. I'd be extremely surprised if the Avs were not one of the West's top clubs next year.

Jens1893
04-08-2007, 05:53 AM
So who are the Avs fans rooting for in the playoffs now?

I'm saying go Predators in the West and go Penguins in the East. I'll also be pulling for the Thrashers in the East just because I'd love to see the "traditionalists" lose their minds over a Nashville/Atlanta Stanley Cup Finals. :laugh:

San Jose, Marcel Goc was born like 15 minutes from here.

Mtbrncofn
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
It'll be Pens or Thrashers for me. I won't root on anyone from the West. I'd be ok with Buffalo too.

Dukes
04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Buffalo and Nashville for me. Gotta go with my two favorite players that are not Avs, Drury and Kariya!

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
The 8th seed in the Eastern Conference came down to a shootout and the Islanders win it. They're headed to Buffalo.

Great job by former DU Pioneer Wade Dubielewicz in place of the injured Rick Dipietro.

Jori
04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Dubie Dubie Doo....what a poke check by Wade!

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I'll bet Leaf fans are loving Gary Bettman for the shootout right about now. :laugh:

SoCalBronco
04-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Sakic up to 99 points, just 1 more!

Clockwork Orange
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
100!!!!

:notworthy

SoCalBronco
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
100!!!!

:notworthy

Congrats. :strong:

Avs just got another goal to make it 5-3.

Dukes
04-08-2007, 11:43 PM
That's strange, SI.com has Sakic credited with only 97 points.

Clockwork Orange
04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Avs re-sign Joe Sakic to a one year deal.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=897

No financial terms yet, but whatever they are, he's worth it.

Mtbrncofn
04-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Avs re-sign Joe Sakic to a one year deal.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=897

No financial terms yet, but whatever they are, he's worth it.

!Booya! Best news I've heard for some time!

Jori
04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
6.75 million according to the Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5627686

Clockwork Orange
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Works for me. Pretty fair for a guy who can still put up 100 points at age 37 while providing all the intangibles that Sakic does.

Tredici
04-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Works for me. Pretty fair for a guy who can still put up 100 points at age 37 while providing all the intangibles that Sakic does.

Not only that but still the classiest act in sports. He turned down a 3 yr deal last season because he said if he got injured or had to retire he didn't want to count against the cap so he would sign 1 year deals instead. Without so much as a second breath exhaled at season's end he steps up and gets it done.

I wish there were more Joe Sakics.

Had to laugh when Joe took that late penalty and the announcer said, "Oh no, there goes the Lady Bing.... Ha.

And by the way - Thanks Blake. If you want to look for one point....

Jori
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Blackhawks win the draft lottery and will select first overall (moved from 5th to 1st). The team that wins the lottery is able to move up four spots (don't pay attention to the story in the Denver Post, it's wrong). The Avs will select 14th overall.

SoCalBronco
04-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Blackhawks win the draft lottery and will select first overall (moved from 5th to 1st). The team that wins the lottery is able to move up four spots (don't pay attention to the story in the Denver Post, it's wrong). The Avs will select 14th overall.

Haha...the Flyers got screwed.

alkemical
04-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Haha...the Flyers got screwed.

they can't ever win!

Clockwork Orange
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Highest 1st rounder the Avs have had since they traded for the 12th pick in '98 (Tanguay).

Chicago is certainly stockpiling some young talent. Sucks that Dollar Bill Wirtz has turned that franchise into such a suckhole, though.

Clockwork Orange
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
The complete draft order for the non-playoff teams.

1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Phoenix
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado

Cool Breeze
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/navcache/getcontents.php?currentpath=/root/Portraits/Normal (95x141)/RIM_skokandavid_95x143_0607.JPG
David Skokan - @ 14?

Jori
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm hoping for Nick Petrecki at #14. A good skating, mean, defensive defenseman, but I get the feeling he'll get snagged earlier.

A few other guys I wouldn't mind, Billy Sweatt out of Colorado College, Alex Plante, or John Blum.

Those CSS and ISS lists are subjective. Skokan may the the 14th ranked NA skater, but I doubt he's a first round pick.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 02:17 AM
My playoff predictions:

Eastern Conference
1. Buffalo vs. 8. NY Islanders

The biggest mismatch in the postseason by far. Buffalo is deeper, faster, more skilled, you name it. The Islanders will even be without #1 netminder Rick DiPietro to start the series. I don't generally predict sweeps, but I'm very tempted in this case.

Sabres in 5

2. New Jersey vs. 7. Tampa Bay

The Devils were likely thrilled to see that their first opponent would be the one line wonder that is the Lightning. Lecavalier & St. Louis are dynamite, but if the Devils manage to keep them in check, what else does Tampa have? The goaltending matchup is Brodeur against Denis/Holmqvist. Need I say more?

Devils in 5

3. Atlanta vs. 6. N.Y. Rangers

Intriguing matchup to say the least. Skill all over the place on both sides, but neither can brag about being particularly tough defensively. The goaltenders are Kari Lehtonen making his first playoff appearance against Henrik Lundqvist making his second (his first was largely forgettable). This one's tough to call, but I think the Rangers are deeper and more experienced.

Rangers in 7

4. Ottawa vs. 5. Pittsburgh

Another series with plenty of skill on both sides. Ottawa gets the nod defensively and in playoff experience, but neither side can claim much of an edge in the all important goaltending category. I think this series comes down to which team is more disciplined and stays out of the penalty box. Tough one to call, but I think Pittsburgh wins a close one.

Penguins in 7

Western Conference

1. Detroit vs. 8. Calgary

I think this series is far closer than the seedings would lead you to believe. Detroit is talented, as always, but they've got plenty of question marks. The most important of which being whether or not $47 million dollar man Pavel Datsyuk and deadline acquisition Todd Bertuzzi will finally show up for a postseason. Calgary is younger, more physical and gets a very slight edge in goaltending from me. Detroit is far more experienced and disciplined. Another close one, but I'm calling for the upset.

Flames in 7

2. Anaheim vs. 7. Minnesota

At first glance this seems like an intriguing matchup, but upon further review, Anaheim has to be the heavy favorite. Minnesota has made a nice transition from boring trap team to skill & speed team, but they're running into a defensive juggernaut here. Gaborik, Demitra & Rolston are gonna find it tough sledding when they're looking across at Pronger & Niedermayer shift in and shift out. Oh yeah, then there's the matter of Anaheim trotting out former Conn Smythe Trophy winner JS Giguere against playoff rookie Niklas Backstrom. The Wild may need to go back to the trap to make a series of this. They won't.

Ducks in 5

3. Vancouver vs. 6. Dallas

It's almost bizarro world. Either Marty Turco will win a playoff series or Vancouver will. On the surface it would appear that Vancouver has a huge goaltending advantage, but not so fast. This is Luongo's first trip to the dance, and while he's always been a teriffic regular season netminder, so has Marty Turco......and we all know how his last couple of postseasons have unfolded. I think Vancouver is lacking in scoring depth and they've leaned too much on Luongo to get to this point. Dallas isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse either, but they've got the defensive edge as well as postseason experience. In the end I think Dallas wins a hard fought, physical series.

Stars in 6

4. Nashville vs. 5. San Jose

Probably the series in the West that boasts the most explosive offensive potential Both of these teams are loaded with talent, the power plays are top notch and each has two goaltenders they can go to at any time. Nashville's health is an issue (Sullivan, Erat and of course Forsberg) as is San Jose's top gun's penchant for coming up small when the chips are down (I'm looking at you Joe Thornton). In the end, I see the Preds taking the most entertaining series of the first round.

Predators in 6

Pendejo
04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Great job Clockwork...although I'm going to disagree with you on a few predictions.

1) As much as I hate to say it...the Flames will lose to the Deadthings. Only a last gasp surge got the Calgary into the playoffs...they made it even though they had fewer wins than the AVS. Pink Panties won't give them sh!t, but they're a team that knows how to win...backed by a front office that rarely makes mistakes. The Wings in six

2) The self made man, and coach of the 2001 Stanley Cup Champions...Bob Hartley's Thrashers will walk right over the Rangers. Any team that puts the C on the walking vagina that is Jaromir Jagr is suspect. The Thrashers in five.

3) The one two punch of Thornton and Marleau will be too much for the Predleys to deal with. The Sharks in seven

alkemical
04-11-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07101/776807-61.stm

Good attendance numbers

The Penguins were among 16 teams that drew 97 percent of capacity or better to their home games as the NHL set a record with a total attendance of 20,861,787 for an average crowd of 16,961.

The league's average attendance rose each month during the 2006-07 season: 16,537 in October, 16,538 in November, 16,850 in December, 17,075 in January, 17,146 in February, 17,331 in March and 17,749 in April.

Jori
04-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Avs sign TJ Hensick and Ray Macias

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=903

Jori
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
My picks...

East:

Sabres (5)
Devils (5)
Rangers (6)
Senators (7)

West:

Red Wings (6)
Ducks (6)
Canucks (6)
Sharks (7)

Mtbrncofn
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm going with:

Sabres in 4
Devils in 5
Thrashers in 6
Pens in 7

Wings in 6 ( I freakin hope )
Ducks in 5
Nucks in 7
Preds in 6

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Come on boys, lets get a PP goal here, gotta get back into the game.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Well...if we are going to take a penalty every 2 minutes against Ottawa, there is really no reason to play this series. We cant give them 4-5 PP per period, its just suicide. Another Ottawa 5 on 3 coming up. This is really unfair for Flower.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Well...if we are going to take a penalty every 2 minutes against Ottawa, there is really no reason to play this series. We cant give them 4-5 PP per period, its just suicide. Another Ottawa 5 on 3 coming up. This is really unfair for Flower.

I think this series comes down to which team is more disciplined and stays out of the penalty box.

They never listen. :nono:

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
[/B]

They never listen. :nono:

Yep, its been pretty bad so far, although I suppose it could be alot worse on the scoreboard. If we can get the next goal, we'll have a shot.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Staal gets us on the board. Good job, Gronk.

3-1 late in the 2nd.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
**** you refs.

**** you.

There is no kicking motion there you dumbasses. It just went off him.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Preds really miss Steve Sullivan out there.

SoCalBronco
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats to Al Wilson. You guys really cleaned our clocks today. I think we will respond better in Game 2. I think the playoff atmosphere definitely caught the young kids by surprise...but this team has alot of heart and I think we will respond well.

Very impressive effort by your boys tonight, however.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
What a goal by Radulov. Wow.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Preds tie it up in the final minute! 4-4. 50 seconds away from our first OT of the postseason.

Clockwork Orange
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Sharks win in double OT. What a thriller this one was.

This is gonna be a great series.

alkemical
04-12-2007, 12:13 AM
blah

SoCalBronco
04-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Going to the 4th OT in Vancouver...

SoCalBronco
04-12-2007, 03:15 AM
This is pretty crazy....now well into the 4th OT..there have been 72 shots on Luongo so far.

Clockwork Orange
04-12-2007, 03:17 AM
This is pretty crazy....now well into the 4th OT..there have been 72 shots on Luongo so far.

Not a whole lot of quality scoring chances, though. These teams are dead on their skates out there.

broncocalijohn
04-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Got back form the Ducks game. Wild was only 6 points behind the ducks yet in 7th spot. The West is going to kill each other in these 3 rounds. Selanne still has what it takes and is on the wrong side of 35. Sorry Avs fans but whatever his problem was in Colorado, he sure has been worth every penny in the last two years. As for Pens, I cant see you guys losing this round unless inexperience will take place.

Clockwork Orange
04-12-2007, 03:35 AM
To the surprise of no one, the game ends with Marty Turco giving up a goal.

SoCalBronco
04-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Game.

Dutch
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
What a great bunch of games last night! Felt bad for the Pens as they looked a little shell shocked at the start, but I think they will pick it up. Sens looked good. Was bummed that the Preds didn't pull it off in OT, was quite a feat to get there. Hope the Ducks kill the Wild. Haven't had any use for the Wild since they knocked the Avs out a few years back. The Stars and Canucks series has the look of a great one, had to hit the rack at 0230 and they were only in the third OT here in Atlanta. Looking forward to the Thrashers and Rangers tonight! Pulling for the Thrashers as they are the ONLY local team I can stand. Had season tickets back in 1999-2003, but had to let them go due to employment. Hope the Flames kick the crap out of the Deadwings, the Devils punk out the Lightning, and Chris Drury leads the Sabers to a win over the Isles. Speaking of Drury. I hated it when they shipped him out of Colorado, and I hope the Avs make a run at bringing him back this summer. I think he would make a great guy to pick up the leadership torch from Joe when he decides to hang up the skates. For a great article on Drury check out this link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/04/10/chris.drury0416/index.html
I'd paste it up here, but it is ten pages long! Real good read, though.

Mtbrncofn
04-12-2007, 06:28 PM
That Vancouver/Dallas game was a great game to watch. I finally called it a night after the end of OT3. Very physical game.

That looks to be a great series to watch. I didn't get to see the SJ/Nash game, darnit. That one looks like it'll be great too.

Can't wait for Wings/Lames. :)

Way to go, bcj....I hope your Ducks sweep the Mild.

Jens1893
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I had been toying with the idea of going to a hockey game for a while and I finally did so tonight. I had been to a few hockey games before, but never in an arena where you can actually see something. Copy and paste from another forum, where I asked for adivce on where to sit. Decided to sit in the upper tier behind the goal, last row.

Excellent advice, Wispy. Just got back from the game and the seats were pretty good. We were a little ****ed when the action was at the other end and behind the goal on our side, but overall it was an excellent experience to watch a hockey game in a state-of-the-art building where you can actually see whatīs happening. Itīs a little hard to follow the puck when you donīt focus sometimes, but itīs really interesting to watch it from behind the goal. Hockey definitely is a sport that has to be watched in person and thatīs not very TV friendly.

Game was pretty good also. Game 1 of the Finals .... Mannheim, who havenīt lost a playoff game yet this season, v Nuremberg ... Mannheim really wasnīt able to convert its PP chances into goals in the first and Nuremberg scored on one of their three shots in the first period ... 1-0 after 1 ... Mannheim equalised on the PP shortly before the end of the second and scored the go ahead goal and what looked like the certain game winner 3 and a half minutes before the end, but Nuremberg managed to equalise on a 6 on 4 with 6 seconds left to take the game to OT, where Mannheim managed to win with 5 and a half minutes to go on a 3 on 3. The Nuremberg goalie, Jean Francois Labbe, was **** hot and ended the game with 54 saves.

I definitely think I will be back if I can get tickets for a possible all deciding Game 5 or next season.

Shots per period

Adler Mannheim 19 10 11 17 57
Sinupret Ice Tigers 3 9 11 5 28

Mtbrncofn
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
To the surprise of no one, the game ends with Marty Turco giving up a goal.

I'm glad the Avs don't have someone like Marty in nets. He's scary to watch out there. Some of the chances he takes would curdle my blood if I was a Stars fan. He's entertaining, but I'm very glad he's on their team. :)

Nuggets4
04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
OK, for my birthday I got a DVD-Recorder so I've been transferring some old tapes of stuff to DVD. I just went to transfer my copy of game 7 of the 2001 cup finals to DVD only to find out that my tape has been used so much that it's a little worn in parts. Is there anyone who would be willing to make a copy of their tape for me? In exchange, I would happily either transfer it to DVD for you, trade you a different sporting event, or just give you cash.

Clockwork Orange
04-13-2007, 09:28 PM
For the second game in a row, the Preds take a major. Kneeing in game one, now checking from behind on Radulov in game two.

It's bad enough giving the Sharks two minute power plays, but the five minute, uninterrupted ones will kill you.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Preds & Stars get even. Ducks remain in control.

Tredici
04-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Cracks me up. They break in on the Nugs game on radio 950 to bring in the call on Peter's goal...

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Cracks me up. They break in on the Nugs game on radio 950 to bring in the call on Peter's goal...

I think we'll be hearing plenty of that on 950 next year. :wiggle:

Jori
04-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Best play of the night was Getzlaf schooling Skoula on that short handed goal against the Wild tonight. Thing of beauty.

Oh and Turco shuts out the Canucks...well it is Friday the 13th :wiggle:

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Best play of the night was Getzlaf schooling Skoula on that short handed goal against the Wild tonight. Thing of beauty.

Ah, memories. Seems like it was just yesterday that Skoula was getting put on goal scorers highlight reels and screening his own goaltender in an Avs uniform.

Where does the time go?

Mtbrncofn
04-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I think we'll be hearing plenty of that on 950 next year. :wiggle:

Hey, what's that mean? Did I miss something?!

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey, what's that mean? Did I miss something?!

Just me speculating based on Forsberg's comments after the last Avs/Preds game.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_5620764

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'll hold on to it as long as possible.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Jesus Jones, the Pens take a penalty 25 seconds into the game. Did they learn nothing from game 1?

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Ryan Whitney on the PP.

1-0 Pens. Assisted by Gonch and Sid.

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Stop ****ing taking penalties.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Sean Avery gets a goal on a funky bounce off the boards.

Sucks when good things happen to bad people.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Sid the Kid looks like he's squeezing the stick just a little. His passes seem to be a bit off target.

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
We are hanging on for dear life here, thank God Flower brought his A game today.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow, Armstrong just went right through Emery.

This series is getting nastier by the period.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Another undisciplined penalty by the Pens. Ruutu this time.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Gary Roberts makes the Sens pay for a penalty this time. 2-2 game.

Ilya Kovalchuk blasts one past Lundqvist to tie it 1-1.

No blowouts today. :)

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:22 PM
****ing dammit, ...one inch away from the lead, one friggin inch.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Great pass by McAmmond. 3-2 Ottawa.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Staal ties it up 3-3!

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Great work by Michel Oullet behind the net and a nice pass to Staal who buried it.

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
**** YEAH!!

Great passes from Recchin Ball and Geno and Sid is right there to put it in the net.

NOW PLEASE, ****ING HOLD THEM OFF FOR THE LAST FEW MINS!!

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:42 PM
He wasn't squeezing the stick on that one. :)

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Pretty weak call on Malkin there.

SoCalBronco
Come on...these penalties have to even out, they cant keep getting all the ****ing calls.

That's a horrible call on malkin. Horrible.

SoCalBronco
If Ottawa scores here, the ref needs his ****ing arm broken.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Shanahan scores to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead with 4 minutes to go.

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Come on...1:07, PLEASE......PLEASE.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Sean Avery is a ****ing puke.

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Huge Save By Flower!!!!

****ing Huge

SoCalBronco
04-14-2007, 05:57 PM
PENGUINS WIN!!!!

Series is evened up.

Pendejo
04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Sean Avery is a ****ing puke.

What did he do? Everyone knows he's a dirtbag.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 06:22 PM
What did he do? Everyone knows he's a dirtbag.

I hadn't said it in a while and it felt overdue.

Pendejo
04-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I hadn't said it in a while and it felt overdue.

I totally understand that instinct. I think most players in the league feel that way too.

In happier tones...that Pens/Sens tilt today was a lot of fun to watch. The Pens wouldn't say die, and kept coming back. I thought that physically Ottawa put a bit of a whoppin' on them, but Pitt wouldn't back down. They picked their spots (Ruutu's silly penalty aside). The forechecking on Staal's tying score was sick, and Sid the Kid's game winner was a pure goal scorers goal. He roofed it off the freaking shaft of his stick. Gary Roberts looks young.

I do enjoy rooting against Canadian teams.

Al Wilson
04-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the win, but everyone knows the Pens don't deserve this win. The Sens outplayed the Pens, enough said. The referees were horrible. Stop with this **** and let the teams play even strength. Anyways, I'm confident the Sens will come up victorious next 2 games.

Clockwork Orange
04-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Chico Resch is openly applauding Brian Gionta for taking a dive.

Unbelievable.

Mtbrncofn
04-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Just me speculating based on Forsberg's comments after the last Avs/Preds game.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_5620764

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'll hold on to it as long as possible.

Hmmm, that was very interesting. My jerseys are still sitting in my closet collecting dust. I need a reason to sport one again!

Congrats SoCal on the win! :thumbs:

I missed all the games today because I was out trying to break some bones or something on my new dirt bike. It's not a matter of if it will happen, it's when. ;D

Mtbrncofn
04-14-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm of the opinion that most of the refereeing in the playoff games that I've watched so far, has been atrocious.

That first Van/Dallas game, they weren't callin' ****. Then they made up by calling just about everything.

Pendejo
04-15-2007, 02:47 AM
Can the mod who put this thread on the main page, please move it to the other sports forum? It shouldn't have been moved in the first place. There are not a lot of hockey fans on the 'mane...so let the people who give a fvck find the thread with ease.

We (hockey fans) let it slide when Pez decided our original thread was too big and contracted it...so fair mods (Read: SoCal) move it back to a sub forum please.

SoCalBronco
04-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Can the mod who put this thread on the main page, please move it to the other sports forum? It shouldn't have been moved in the first place. There are not a lot of hockey fans on the 'mane...so let the people who give a f*** find the thread with ease.

We (hockey fans) let it slide when Pez decided our original thread was too big and contracted it...so fair mods (Read: SoCal) move it back to a sub forum please.

Ok, I know some of you were displeased about the move to the main forum. I apologize for moving it up, I just thought since the playoffs were here and since we were in the offseason anyway, moving it up would be a good idea, but since several of you guys would prefer it to be in the NHL forum, I will definitely honor your wishes.

Pendejo
04-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Ok, I know some of you were displeased about the move to the main forum. I apologize for moving it up, I just thought since the playoffs were here and since we were in the offseason anyway, moving it up would be a good idea, but since several of you guys would prefer it to be in the NHL forum, I will definitely honor your wishes.

Your heart is definitely in the right place...but us hockey fans are in the minority. In the NHL forum/thread we don't have to deal with imus or clayton threads. It's all hockey, and it's fun.

I'll tell you what SoCal...your Pens showed some grit today. Ruutu should be a scratch for the rest of the playoffs...but boy...they made some nice moves. Laraque shouldn't be a scratch for the rest of the series. Ottawa was taking the body REAL hard today. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love Georges Laraque on my fourth line in the playoffs. Especially with Chris Neil on the other side.

In any case...thanks for moving the thread.

BroncoBuff
04-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Foppa seems open to returning
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist
Article Last Updated:04/08/2007 12:41:10 AM MDT

Peter Forsberg, won't you please come home?

Forsberg broke Colorado's heart. Again.

He came back to town for the first time as a visiting player, and halted a remarkable late-season playoff drive by his former team, bumping the Avs from the playoffs for the first time since they moved to Denver in 1995.
So one impossible dream ended for the Avs, with a 4-2 loss to Forsberg and Nashville.

But let an even better hockey fantasy for Colorado fans begin.

Can you envision Forsberg wearing an Avs sweater again?

He can.

With that wry smile you certainly remember and the twinkle in his eyes that made "Foppa" so beloved in Colorado, Forsberg told me late Saturday night he is receptive to the idea of returning to the Avs next season.

"I have to decide if I'm going to keep on playing, first," said Forsberg, whose injury-plagued career was never more frustrating than this year, when his troublesome right foot sometimes made it too painful to even lace up his skates. But he emphasized giving it another go in the NHL has definitely not been ruled out.

If Forsberg can return to full health, he'd also like to mend the hearts that were broken when the Avalanche let him go as a free agent in 2005.

At age 33, with his contract again ready to expire, he looks at Denver as one place that could entice him to leave his homeland of Sweden and return to the world's No. 1 hockey league for a 12th season.

"It's one of the destinations, if I'm going to play in the NHL, that I would think about. Definitely," said Forsberg, when asked directly if he would consider coming back to Colorado.

On a night when winning is all that mattered to the Avs, the franchise paused in the opening period to salute Forsberg, a member of both teams that brought the Stanley Cup to Colorado.

During a break from action on the ice, Colorado management showed a video montage of Forsberg highlights, then generously allowed 17,462 fans in the arena to give him a standing ovation.

"I was really touched," Forsberg said. "All I can say is great words for this organization and this city."

Think maybe the Avs were trying to recruit Forsberg?

And "Foppa" can still work magic with a simple wave of his stick.

Needing nothing less than a victory against Nashville to keep their long ago left for dead playoff hopes alive, the Avs carried a 2-1 lead into the final period, only to watch Forsberg make that advantage go poof and disappear.
On what proved to be the game-winning goal by Predators teammate Paul Kariya, Forsberg made a sweet pass so beautiful it could have brought tears of nostalgia and regret to anyone in the house.

Were you watching, Pierre Lacroix?

Up in the owner's box, Stan Kroenke sat sipping a glass of red wine. For a billionaire who builds new sporting facilities and can afford to invest in pro franchises from St. Louis to jolly old England, how much could it hurt to give Forsberg one more contract?

Despite the emergence of young players such as goalie Peter Budaj and center Paul Stastny, not to mention a 14-1-2 record in a stretch of 17 games that almost got the Avs back in the playoffs, this team did not do enough for anyone to feel this team deserved a postseason berth.

"We fought hard, and tried to hang in there, but we fell short," said captain Joe Sakic, sure to be more frustrated when he learned hapless Edmonton beat Calgary, the team Colorado was chasing for the final spot in the Western Conference playoffs.

The Avs can look in the newspaper this morning and see the 93 points next to their name in the standings. No team in league history has done so much and not qualified for the postseason.

But any way the Avs do the math, they're out, Calgary is in and the folks in Hockeytown can breathe easy, knowing their beloved Detroit Red Wings have dodged a date with Colorado in the opening round.

"It's great to be back," said Forsberg, genuinely sorry his return contributed to Colorado's demise. Denver still feels like home.

"Sometimes, you don't know what you have until you leave," Forsberg said. "We'll see what happens." If there is a hockey god, "Foppa" will be skating again next season. And it will be in Colorado, where he belongs.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com (mkiszla@denverpost.com).

SoCalBronco
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Its a hockey night in Pittsburgh.

Go Pens. Win Game 3!

Mtbrncofn
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Geez. I think I jinxed your team or something, SoCal.

Thanks for moving the thread back, SoCal! :thumbs:

alkemical
04-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Makin, did you leave in the middle of the night to go back to russia?

Jens1893
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Jeff Shantz was crowned Playoff MVP here .... Mannheim swept Nuremberg to win their first title since 2001.

SoCalBronco
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Dammit, that was the first time that I thought we definitely outplayed them in the series and we couldnt get the pucks in the net. We should have won that game...oh well, gotta get it done and if you cant, you cant. We obviously are not beating them 3 in a row. At least the kids got some playoff experience this year.

Congrats Al Wilson.

Jori
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
At least the Pens competed, unlike the Thrashers tonight. What an embarrassment.

Pendejo
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
At least the Pens competed, unlike the Thrashers tonight. What an embarrassment.

Whoops...I thought the Thrashers would run right over the Rangers. Memo to anyone who gambles...just ask me for my picks...and take the opposite.

Al Wilson
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Dammit, that was the first time that I thought we definitely outplayed them in the series and we couldnt get the pucks in the net. We should have won that game...oh well, gotta get it done and if you cant, you cant. We obviously are not beating them 3 in a row. At least the kids got some playoff experience this year.

Congrats Al Wilson.
You got a good team. The series isn't over yet, there's still games to be played.

Jori
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Whoops...I thought the Thrashers would run right over the Rangers. Memo to anyone who gambles...just ask me for my picks...and take the opposite.

I loved the Rangers going into this series. Lundqvist is playing some great hockey. I knew the Cementhead trade would backfire on Waddell. Tkachuk is not a playoff performer and I'm not a fan of Atlanta's defense. The only series I've got pegged wrong, so far, is the New Jersey/Tampa Bay series. There is something not right about Brodeur. I don't know if it's an injury or some other distraction.

Killericon
04-18-2007, 02:44 AM
Brodeur will bounce back and take the series.

I'm feeling it...

alkemical
04-18-2007, 08:35 AM
You got a good team. The series isn't over yet, there's still a game to be played.

Fixed it for you......

:(

Pendejo
04-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Brad May once again proves what a dirtbag he his. I was sooo happy when the Avs dumped his pathetic ass. Hopefully he isn't suspended, and Boogaard can throw him the beating he deserves...if of course May is game when the guy doesn't have his back turned.

Jori
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
May received a three game suspension and rightfully so. I applaud Giguere for getting anything for that bum.

Jori
04-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Jackets fire GM Doug MacLean

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=204753&hubname=nhl

No surprise there. Wouldn't shock me to see Waddell get canned. That Cementhead trade was brilliant!

Pendejo
04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
May received a three game suspension and rightfully so. I applaud Giguere for getting anything for that bum.

There's no doubt that he should have been suspended...I was just hoping he'd take a beating first. He makes my skin crawl.

I think I care less for Brad May than Sean Avery. At least Avery can skate, and actually play a bit...may is a pimple on the ass of the league.