Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
heres an idea if clockwork wants to change his ava

http://img.bleskovky.sk/big/69642.jpg/peter-budaj.jpg

Love it! !Booya!

Okilie dokillie neighborino!

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 09:45 PM
It should be mentioned that Paul Stastny, Gilbert Brule and Phil Kessel all scored their first NHL goals tonight.

Congrats boys. :thumbsup:

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't get it. ???

You can all stop laughing about me not getting it too.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't get it. ???

You can all stop laughing about me not getting it too.

What don't you get? Budaj's mask?

I just think it's funny that he's got Ned Flanders holding a Slovakian flag on his mask.

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
What don't you get? Budaj's mask?

I just think it's funny that he's got Ned Flanders holding a Slovakian flag on his mask.

Ok, then there is really nothing to get. I've seen it. I thought it was photoshopped on the back of Jose's mask.

Clockwork Orange
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Ok, then there is really nothing to get. I've seen it. I thought it was photoshopped on the back of Jose's mask.

No, if someone's gonna photoshop something on TheOpenDoor's mask, I suggest a nice big hunk of swiss cheese.

Now that the season has started, I'll ask again, who's got the bigger five hole?

Mtbrncofn
10-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Good Lord, I would have said Paris hands down before, now I'm singing a different tune I think.

Remember when he demanded that apology over the Paris thing? We as fans should be demanding an apology for this **** he calls playing goalie.

Jens1893
10-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Flyers GM Clarke resigns, Hitchcock fired

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2634817

phillybroncosnut
10-22-2006, 08:17 AM
What an awful start to a season huh? The Flyboys are currently 1-6-1 through the first 8 games. A few nights ago, they waived, Baumgartner, Dimitrokis, and Nedved. Flyers owner was quoted as saying "this is just the start". Well, he wasn't lying.
Earlier today, The Flyers gutted the front office. They fired head Coach Ken Hitchcock and GM Bob Clarke "resigned". Paul Holgren (a one time Flyer great) will take over the GM duties and John Stevens was called up from the Phantoms to take over the head coaching duties.

It was only a matter of time Flyers fans. Once the NHL switched to speed skating with pucks and pads, the Flyers days as a consistent cup contender were numbered. They aren't the only one's. Teams like Toronto, New Jersey, Colorado, Detriot and Boston will suffer as well. When you draft players for the last 15 years that fit the big, tough, grinding type forwards and defenseman and then your league changes it's look basically overnight, you will surely suffer sooner or later. The Flyers are now suffering.

Thankfully, the Flyers have an owner who will not sit on his ass and do nothing. Ed Snider will not sit back and watch this team become a joke. He cares. Look no further then the last week. Cutting players that were in the starting lineup and now, taking out the coach and long time GM and Flyer icon, Bobby Clarke.

I wonder who will be willing to trade for Forsberg, Knuble, Rathje, and Hatcher. I'm sure they will be on the block (probably today).

chadta
10-22-2006, 08:33 AM
im glad something finally happened cuz i was getting sick of reading the speculation of what was going to happen.

Breck Bronc
10-22-2006, 08:59 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2634817Wow!

Nuggets4
10-22-2006, 09:10 AM
He's a bum.

I'm officially joining the goalie controversy train. Start Budaj.

Remember earlier in the season when I asked if everyone would be ok with Jose provided he kept playing at the level he did in the first two games?

Ignore that question. Thank you.

24champ
10-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Thank God! Im tired of getting fleeced by Clarke in trades.:giggle:

(See Chechemanek, Roenick)

SoCalBronco
10-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Theodore tried to 'buy' victory
October 21, 2006

It was not the return to Montreal
Jose Theodore had hoped for. (CP)

Sportsnet.ca -- On a night when Jose Theodore was shelled for eight goals by his former team, he can at least take solace in the fact he won't be paying his current teammates close to eight thousand dollars.

That may not be much consolation.

Sportsnet has learned Jose Theodore used an old Patrick Roy tactic to try to get a victory in his homecoming at the Bell Center. In Roy's first game back in Montreal as a member of the Colorado Avalanche in 1997, the former Canadiens' MVP reportedly forked out $20,000 dollars to be split up by teammates if the Avalanche were to win. Colorado was indeed victorious 7-3, thinning out Roy's wallet, but ultimately giving the goalie the last laugh.

The tactic backfired for Theodore however. He apparently put $7500 on the line before the puck drop Saturday night. Meanwhile, former whipping boy in Montreal, Patrice Brisebois, sweetened the pot with an additional $2500. The two former Habs' pocket books remained intact but their egos took quite a hit in the 8-5 defeat, in which they were repeatedly jeered and booed by fans.

Theodore spoke briefly to a few reporters after the getting shelled for eight goals but he quickly disappeared. Brisebois walked past a horde of media representatives claiming he had been told to do so by the team's PR representative, Jean Martineau.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...21_234524_4412

Bronx33
10-22-2006, 10:25 AM

No suprise there, the GM is going through the team with a machete*

Hercules Rockefeller
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?d=59295&a=685241

45 seconds in. Leading the league in scoring and already has an "A" as an 18-year old. Wonder if Backstrom will now replace Malkin with the title of "Best player not in the NHL"?

24champ
10-22-2006, 11:17 AM
The Kings are shopping Craig Conroy, who had one assist and was minus-3 through the first eight games of the season. The Thrashers are believed to have some interest in the 35-year-old center, but it's hard to imagine the team has the ability to absorb the $2.394 million cap hit Conroy carries through next season. LA GM Dean Lombardi is seeking prospects for Conroy as he attempts an organizational reconstruction
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10222006/sports/owner_sits_pretty_as_flyers_go_down_tubes_sports_l arry_brooks.htm?page=2

Even though Brooks is hardly accurate regarding rumors, It would be nice to get Valabik or Brian Little in return. Do it Deano!

Jori
10-22-2006, 12:10 PM
So we are going to blame Theodore and ignore the horrendous defense? Theodore is what he is...an overpaid average goaltender. But lets not make him out to be the only goat. And Brisebois was probably the Avs best defenseman last night. What does that tell you about the rest of the group? I'm so tired of the goaltender being the only one getting the blame when the defense has been the problem with this team since the new CBA. The organization was foolish enough to believe that just swapping the goaltenders was enough when they have been ignoring the real weekness.

Clockwork Orange
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
So we are going to blame Theodore and ignore the horrendous defense? Theodore is what he is...an overpaid average goaltender. But lets not make him out to be the only goat. And Brisebois was probably the Avs best defenseman last night. What does that tell you about the rest of the group? I'm so tired of the goaltender being the only one getting the blame when the defense has been the problem with this team since the new CBA. The organization was foolish enough to believe that just swapping the goaltenders was enough when they have been ignoring the real weekness.

Does it really matter? I watched the Avalanche play a solid defensive game against Chicago and Theodore responded by giving up 4 soft goals and subsequently the game. He's inconsistant, overrated, overpaid and in no way an upgrade over Aebischer, who was basically thrown under the bus by Quenneville and Lacroix. But hey, he speaks french, so I guess that counts for something with this organization.

So yeah, I'm gonna bitch about him a little bit.

There are defensive issues with this team, we knew that coming in. A goaltender making over $5 million per season is supposed to be able to cover up for some of those deficiencies. That's what the real elite goaltenders can do. Theodore isn't an elite goaltender, he's just paid like one.

Jori
10-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm not disagreeing that Theodore is medicore, but he is only part of the problem. I totally put the Chicago game on Jose, but the game last night was a total team melt down.

What does he being French Canadian have to do with anything? They didn't have an issue shipping Tanguay's ass out of town.

Clockwork Orange
10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm not disagreeing that Theodore is medicore, but he is only part of the problem. I totally put the Chicago game on Jose, but the game last night was a total team melt down.

What does he being French Canadian have to do with anything? They didn't have an issue shipping Tanguay's ass out of town.

Just a reference to them having a love for mediocre/washed up/worthless French Candian players since the lockout ended (Lappy was signed before the lockout, he doesn't count). Tanguay doesn't fall into any of those categories.

My reasoning is that I expected the Avs defense to be average, at best, this season. There's no big name, big money guys amongst them and there's a reason for that. Theodore is a big name, big money goaltender who is supposed to be a difference maker. Unfortunately, he's played a lot more like Phil Sauve than Patrick Roy.

It also goes back to the fact that I never wanted him here in the first place. His salary is an anchor around this team's neck and his performance hasn't done anything to change my opinion of that.

Mtbrncofn
10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Theodore tried to 'buy' victory
October 21, 2006

It was not the return to Montreal
Jose Theodore had hoped for. (CP)

Sportsnet.ca -- On a night when Jose Theodore was shelled for eight goals by his former team, he can at least take solace in the fact he won't be paying his current teammates close to eight thousand dollars.

That may not be much consolation.

Sportsnet has learned Jose Theodore used an old Patrick Roy tactic to try to get a victory in his homecoming at the Bell Center. In Roy's first game back in Montreal as a member of the Colorado Avalanche in 1997, the former Canadiens' MVP reportedly forked out $20,000 dollars to be split up by teammates if the Avalanche were to win. Colorado was indeed victorious 7-3, thinning out Roy's wallet, but ultimately giving the goalie the last laugh.

The tactic backfired for Theodore however. He apparently put $7500 on the line before the puck drop Saturday night. Meanwhile, former whipping boy in Montreal, Patrice Brisebois, sweetened the pot with an additional $2500. The two former Habs' pocket books remained intact but their egos took quite a hit in the 8-5 defeat, in which they were repeatedly jeered and booed by fans.

Theodore spoke briefly to a few reporters after the getting shelled for eight goals but he quickly disappeared. Brisebois walked past a horde of media representatives claiming he had been told to do so by the team's PR representative, Jean Martineau.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...21_234524_4412

Oh good Lord! What a tard. Both of 'em.

24champ
10-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Some rumors flying around that Vincent Lecavalier is going to be shopped soon because of his hefty contract.

it's only a matter of time before GM Jay Feaster is forced to get out from under the cap by putting Vincent Lecavalier on the market.

Lecavalier carries a $6.875 million cap hit through 2008-09, but any team with payroll space and organizational depth will be in the hunt once reality hits - and that most certainly includes the one on Broadway lacking a big-time center.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10222006/sports/owner_sits_pretty_as_flyers_go_down_tubes_sports_l arry_brooks.htm?page=2

Clockwork Orange
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Some rumors flying around that Vincent Lecavalier is going to be shopped soon because of his hefty contract.

Not surprising, really. Tampa has too much money locked up in Lecavalier, Richards & St. Louis ($19.925 million per season for the next 4 years) and they're going to have next to no flexibility.

I wonder if the Avs will get involved since Lacroix has coveted Lecavalier since before he was drafted. He attempted to trade multiple 1st rounders to Tampa for the #1 pick to get him, but it didn't happen. It's not likely, but it wouldn't shock me either.

Jori
10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Oh good Lord! What a tard. Both of 'em.

It's nothing new...it's happened many times before.

Jori
10-22-2006, 10:11 PM
If Sakic was retiring after this season, adding a guy like Lecavalier would make sense. Certanly can't rule out the possibility of Colorado making a call, but I personally have soured on him as a player.

Then again, it's a Larry Brooks article so you have to question his availability.

Clockwork Orange
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
If Sakic was retiring after this season, adding a guy like Lecavalier would make sense. Certanly can't rule out the possibility of Colorado making a call, but I personally have soured on him as a player.

Then again, it's a Larry Brooks article so you have to question his availability.

Ahh, missed the Larry Brooks part. He must have been throwing darts and one landed on Lecavalier. That seems to be the SOP of rumor mongoring for NHL writers (Strachan, Garrioch, etc.).

I agree though, if Joey was planning on calling it a career, it'd be nice to have his replacement all lined up. Still, that's $6.875 million against the cap for three years after this season. I like Vinny, but much like Theodore, that's elite player money going to someone who isn't an elite player. Don't get me wrong, Lecavalier contributes at a higher level than Theodore does, but still not enough to justify that salary.

Clockwork Orange
10-22-2006, 11:42 PM
More bad news for the Blackhawks, Handzus could be out for the season with a torn ACL & MCL. Khabibulin will be out at least two weeks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181633&hubname=

All of this coming on the heels of Havlat's ankle sprain. That team can't buy a break. Even if they could, "Dollar" Bill Wirtz probably wouldn't want to pay for it.

broncocalijohn
10-23-2006, 01:57 AM
the bad news is they lost to The Blues!

broncocalijohn
10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok champ, hope you enjoyed the game today. Buffalo and Ducks are the only team w/o a regualtion loss. We actually won in overtime! Nothing like taking down your rivals. If the Avs need a goalie, what can you give up for our backup Ilya? He would be starting in many organizations.

chadta
10-23-2006, 05:59 AM
No chance in hell. No one's taking on his contract. The Avs are stuck with him until the 2008-09 season.

Lord knows they'll probably give him a contract extension before then and tell everyone what a great guy he is.

****ing nauseating. I never wanted this loser here in the first place.

Call the flyers, you take on our pylons hatcher, and rathje, and take the human seive robert esche off our hands give us theadore and your second and third rounds next year, consider it a done deal.

Jens1893
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Avs up 3-1 midway thru the 2nd ... 3 PP goals by Svatos, Liles and Hejduk, Stastny with another assist ... keep it up.

Make that 4-1 ... Stastny with the 2nd goal of his NHL career.

Clockwork Orange
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Milan Hejduk gave his "magical 'ands" a rest and scored one off his face. :laugh:

24champ
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Kings played fine for a while and then they just played stupid by commiting stupid ****ing penalties that put us in the hole for good. I liked what I saw from Kopitar but damn none of his linemates know what to do when Kopitar puts them in position to score. Sam Gagner come on down and collect your prized Kings jersey on June 23rd in Columbus, OH. :thumbsup:

Mtbrncofn
10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Great game, eh champ? ;D

I hope Jose was paying attention.

Breck Bronc
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm glad we still have Peter Budaj. I think in today's NHL a goaltender has to be able to shake off any goals they give up and move on. This isn't the Dead Puck-era anymore and goalies are going to have really bad nights on occasion.

I think both David Aebischer and Jose Theodore tend to fall apart mentally after a few goals, unlike Budaj. I've never been a big fan of Aebischer's technical game in net, either. He gives up way too many rebounds for my taste and is streaky just like the guy who he was traded for.

Theodore doesn't cover enough net and has an awful glove hand. I was hoping he would have even a little bit of a turnaround this season, but the early results aren't encouraging. He played decent against Dallas, very good against Vancouver, below average against Edmonton, absolutely terrible vs. Chicago, good against Ottawa, and below average vs. Montreal. He didn't have much of a chance on a lot of the goals against his former team and I'll give him a pass on that game. The Chicago game he deserved all the criticism he received, but he didn't deserve it for Montreal, IMO.

I did think it was funny how Haynes and McNab kept saying they were surprised it was a high scoring game Saturday night in Montreal. I told my friends before the game that there were going to be a ton of goals because all the Colorado and Montreal shooters knew the goalies' weaknesses, and let's face it, both Theo and Aebi have some rather glaring weaknesses.

With our defense there's not going to be a lot of easy games for Theodore or Budaj, but tonight vs. Los Angeles was one of them. The Kings don't have a lot of offensive talent aside from their good young prospects. Rob Blake didn't look all that interested in tonight's game (what kind of reception did Blake get? I missed the opening of the telecast since I forgot it was a 6:00 start). I thought Anze Kopitar and his eyes looked kind of freaky. Maybe the NHL should do a Halloween promotion with the young gun.

Anyway, I'm really excited to go to the Pepsi Center Wednesday night to see Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Jose Theodore needs to have a good game or he may be the next Drew Bledsoe.

Mtbrncofn
10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm certainly not going to bitch, but on the one goal they scored, did everyone notice who was standing in front of the net like a damn statue?

Jens1893
10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm certainly not going to b****, but on the one goal they scored, did everyone notice who was standing in front of the net like a damn statue?

I didnt see it, so let me guess ... is the suspect French Canadian?

Mtbrncofn
10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes, he would be FC and a defenseman if that helps. :)

24champ
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm certainly not going to b****, but on the one goal they scored, did everyone notice who was standing in front of the net like a damn statue?

Yeah I would say because they were suprised a defenseman like Sopel was blowing through there. Marc Crawford is using him right. Just wish we would play smarter and not have stupid ****ing penalties.

24champ
10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I didnt see it, so let me guess ... is the suspect French Canadian?

I didn't see Avery fight anyone so I doubt it.Ha!

Jori
10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm glad that I was wrong about Paul Stastny leaving DU early. That Wolski/Stastny/Hejduk line is fun to watch. The two kids seem to have rejuvenated Hejduk. Things have to be going right when you are scoring goals off your face :giggle:

Sakic only two points away from 1500 :notworthy

I must say that Boods mask is awesome :thumbs:

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to see Sakic get to 1500 on Wednesday night. Can't wait...should be a fun game ^5

Jens1893
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, he would be FC and a defenseman if that helps. :)

Then the answer is Ian Laperriere as I yet have to see Patrice Frisbee doing anything that resembles the play of a defenseman in an Avs sweater. What do I win? :approve:

Clockwork Orange
10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm glad we still have Peter Budaj. I think in today's NHL a goaltender has to be able to shake off any goals they give up and move on. This isn't the Dead Puck-era anymore and goalies are going to have really bad nights on occasion.

I think both David Aebischer and Jose Theodore tend to fall apart mentally after a few goals, unlike Budaj. I've never been a big fan of Aebischer's technical game in net, either. He gives up way too many rebounds for my taste and is streaky just like the guy who he was traded for.

Theodore doesn't cover enough net and has an awful glove hand. I was hoping he would have even a little bit of a turnaround this season, but the early results aren't encouraging. He played decent against Dallas, very good against Vancouver, below average against Edmonton, absolutely terrible vs. Chicago, good against Ottawa, and below average vs. Montreal. He didn't have much of a chance on a lot of the goals against his former team and I'll give him a pass on that game. The Chicago game he deserved all the criticism he received, but he didn't deserve it for Montreal, IMO.

I did think it was funny how Haynes and McNab kept saying they were surprised it was a high scoring game Saturday night in Montreal. I told my friends before the game that there were going to be a ton of goals because all the Colorado and Montreal shooters knew the goalies' weaknesses, and let's face it, both Theo and Aebi have some rather glaring weaknesses.

With our defense there's not going to be a lot of easy games for Theodore or Budaj, but tonight vs. Los Angeles was one of them. The Kings don't have a lot of offensive talent aside from their good young prospects. Rob Blake didn't look all that interested in tonight's game (what kind of reception did Blake get? I missed the opening of the telecast since I forgot it was a 6:00 start). I thought Anze Kopitar and his eyes looked kind of freaky. Maybe the NHL should do a Halloween promotion with the young gun.

Anyway, I'm really excited to go to the Pepsi Center Wednesday night to see Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Jose Theodore needs to have a good game or he may be the next Drew Bledsoe.

Theodore also doesn't seem to be focused on some nights. It's been so noticeable that I've honestly wondered if he's having problems with his eyesight.

I'm looking forward to getting a close look at Alexander The Great and Alexander The Pretty Damn Good on Wednesday, too. I'll be at the end they're attacking twice, so if Theo gets bombed, I'll have a real good view of it.

SoCalBronco
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
I bet Herc is definitely going to that game.

Clockwork Orange
10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
If I'm lucky, I'll be able to see Sakic get to 1500 on Wednesday night. Can't wait...should be a fun game ^5

I was at the game that Sakic scored goals #498 & 499. I was just gripping in hopes that he'd complete the hat trick so that I could say I was there for #500. Unfortunately, that happened in Vancouver, in a game that wasn't even broadcast locally. If you didn't have Center Ice, you were SOL and didn't get to see him make history. Fox Sports really stepped in it on that one.

By the way, that game in which he got #498 & 499 was against Montreal. Patrick Roy and Jose Theodore put on a clinic that night....or should have checked into one. The game ended with the Avs getting the win in OT 7-6.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-24-2006, 08:14 AM
I bet Herc is definitely going to that game.

Have tickets, but probably won't know until tomorrow whether or not I will be able to go because of work stuff.

Bronx33
10-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Stastny make number 3 star on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/

Kid A
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4539860

Goaltending controversy? If Theodore doesn't get his crap together this could get very interesting.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Just let Jose play tomorrow night before the controversy erupts

Clockwork Orange
10-24-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4539860

Goaltending controversy? If Theodore doesn't get his crap together this could get very interesting.

Now that I'm calmer and more rational about the subject, I'll address this.

Theodore didn't catch quite the break everyone thought he did when he went from Montreal to Colorado. He left behind the bloodthirsty fans and media who hounded his every move and landed in a place with a coach who handles goaltenders about as well as Patrice Breezeby handles the puck in his own zone. I've made no secret of my distaste for the way that Aebischer was scapegoated by Quennville last season, and I certainly haven't been shy about saying that Theodore isn't an appreciable upgrade over Aebischer in any way except salary.

However, Theodore isn't as worthless as I've portrayed him over the past few days. That was my frustration talking. I haven't changed my stance that he's mediocre, overrated, overpaid and has been living off of the Hart & Vezina Trophies that he didn't deserve to win in 2002. But I also don't believe that he needs to be banished to the bench. Budaj has played well in his three starts, but that's a pretty small sample size to go off of. As well as he's played, he hasn't earned the right to be the #1 goaltender either.

What I'd like to see is a splitting of starts, an open competition. Don't just start Budaj against the weaker teams as most do with their backup. Let him have some starts against some of the San Jose's and Anaheim's of the league. Only then will we get a true sense of what Budaj brings to the table. At the same time, make sure that Theo gets his share of starts, and don't relegate him to playing the weak sisters of the league just for the sake of bumping his numbers and confidence. Let them both play and should one of them clearly outperform the other, then he's earned the right to be the #1 guy.

This team is not a Cup contender, they won't be derailing any championship hopes by letting the netminders split the work so that a true #1 can be established. Give them both a fair shot and may the better goaltender win.

24champ
10-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Just let Jose play tomorrow night before the controversy erupts

Life must be good being a sportswriter in Denver, how many more controversies can there be?

broncocalijohn
10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Are you guys in Colorado having trouble seeing games? In Socal, Fox Sports Net/Prime Tickets have been showing most games. In fact, Ducks are on TV all but three games this year.

Clockwork Orange
10-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you guys in Colorado having trouble seeing games? In Socal, Fox Sports Net/Prime Tickets have been showing most games. In fact, Ducks are on TV all but three games this year.

Altitude carries every Avalanche game that isn't on national television (NBC, Versus). So all is well on that front.

24champ
10-24-2006, 03:47 PM

I miss Jim Fox and Bob Miller on Prime Ticket.:(

Oh yeah and Hayward is a complete tool.;D

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
That will definitely be on sportscenter.

Malkin to Whitney to Malkin to Crosby for the goal. Some perfect passing.

Jori
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
First even strength goal for Staal.

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Jordan Staal with a goal! Nice pass from Recchi.

3-1 Pittsburgh.

That's 4 goals for Jordan in 8 games.

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Brylin cuts the Pens lead to 3-2. Kinda fluky.

Come on, gotta hold on and win this game.

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Evgeni ****ing Malkin

That Was ****ing Awesome

UNBELIEVABLE....SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

HOLY **** MAN

That's gotta be the play of the night in the NHL. Nice pass from Crosby too and then Malkin just took over and owned.

Man I gotta see that again.

4-2

Evgeni Malkin is the first Pittsburgh Penguin ever to score a goal in his first four games.

Bronx33
10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Evgeni ****ing Malkin

That Was ****ing Awesome

UNBELIEVABLE....SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

HOLY **** MAN

That's gotta be the play of the night in the NHL. Nice pass from Crosby too and then Malkin just took over and owned.

Man I gotta see that again.

4-2

Evgeni Malkin is the first Pittsburgh Penguin ever to score a goal in his first four games.

But was it good? lol j/k looks like malkin is fitting in.

24champ
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah but can he score 2 goals in his first game?;D

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Penguins win 4-2. We are now all alone in first place in the Atlantic at 5-3.

Crosby and Malkin with a goal and an assist each. Staal with a goal and great work on the PK.

Man that last goal was sweet.

SoCalBronco
10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Here is the amazing Malkin goal tonight for those who didnt see the game.

Unbelievable. And some great awareness from Sidney to get him that puck from the other blue line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQTcVqk8pM

Hercules Rockefeller
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Very nice

alkemical
10-24-2006, 09:41 PM
wow socal - it's wierd - the pens are good!

lol

I'm enjoying it

Clockwork Orange
10-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Kid is a stud. Definitely worth the wait. :thumbsup:

Killericon
10-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Just got back form the Flames/Coyotes game. Final score: 6-1, for our guys. looked like just the thing to give us a boost.

The Coyotes looked like the Washington Generals. The Flames were making little dekes and moves, and the Yots would trip over themselves ans such. Very comical.

Everyone booed Jovo-cop everytime he touched the puck.

Good fun.

broncocalijohn
10-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah but can he score 2 goals in his first game?;D

and lose?
BTW: Hayward does a great job. Why would you consider him a tool? Versus? What happened to OLN station for NHL? What is Versus?

broncocalijohn
10-25-2006, 01:51 AM

Unbelievable. And some great awareness from Sidney to get him that puck from the other blue line.

Amazing goal. Highlight reel. Good find. Cant wait to see the Pens play (finally) at the Pond...uhm I mean the Honda Center. I like playing Western teams more often but you miss out on the standard NY, Philly teams as well. Not this year!

Bronx33
10-25-2006, 07:44 AM

Who was that who got undressed?

Bronx33
10-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Anybody see the tucker beat the snot out of otawas Eaves?

chadta
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
yeah bronx, it was typical cheap darcy tucker crap, belak got his ass handed to him a few minutes earlier, so tucker went out and rather then dropping the gloves with a fighter like neil he goes after some poor kid who wanted no part of it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181824&hubname=nhl

Bronx33
10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
yeah bronx, it was typical cheap darcy tucker crap, belak got his ass handed to him a few minutes earlier, so tucker went out and rather then dropping the gloves with a fighter like neil he goes after some poor kid who wanted no part of it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181824&hubname=nhl

I don't like tucker either, i didn't watch the game i just saw the highlights.

chadta
10-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Who was that who got undressed?

colin white was the guy hooking him from behind to no avail, 21 brad lukowich was the guy coming across who was a few inches short of killing malkin, who ended up looking a little undressed

alkemical
10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Beware the Pens!

I wasn't sure, and it's a long season. But i think they make the playoffs.

Bronx33
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181864&hubname=nhl

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20061006/oil_56126.jpg

The Edmonton Oilers will do without one of their heart-and-soul players for a few months but expect veteran Ethan Moreau will be back in time for the playoffs.

The valuable checking forward needs surgery to repair a dislocated right shoulder suffered in Saturday's 3-1 win over Detroit.

''We'll probably have to lose him for an extended period of time to rectify the problem so that he's good for the long-term, ready down the stretch and in the playoffs,'' Oilers GM Kevin Lowe told The Canadian Press on Wednesday.

Lowe said Moreau would undergo surgery within the next couple of weeks once the swelling goes down. Moreau also had surgery on his left shoulder a few years back.

But Lowe doesn't think Moreau will be lost for the entire season.

''We've got the best therapists around here,'' Lowe said from Edmonton. ''We've got an incredible history of successful rehabs. I'm not a doctor, but my guess is anywhere between three and four months. Sure that's the better part of the regular season, but it's one of those things that had he injured it later in the season he'd probably tried to get by with a brace or something.''

Moreau could have opted for rehab instead and come back sooner but would have also risked the shoulder popping out again.

''Since it's early enough, we figured let's get it done now so he can be ready for down the stretch and the playoffs,'' said Lowe.

The 31-year-old Moreau dislocated the shoulder when he threw a punch at Red Wings defenceman Danny Markov late in Saturday's game, retaliation for a huge open-ice hit on Oilers centre Jarret Stoll earlier in the game. Lowe isn't frustrated by how Moreau got hurt.

''That's hockey,'' Lowe said. ''I'm sure if he had to do it all over again he would do it the same way. That's why he's so desirable as a player because he does things like that.''<

If the Oilers are going to suffer an injury, forward is where they can take a hit. Edmonton has been carrying 14 forwards this season and has plenty of depth to deal with an injury. Winger Raffi Torres got bumped up from the fourth line to take Moreau's spot on the third line for Wednesday night's game at Anaheim.

''We should be fine,'' said Lowe. ''There will definitely be nights where we'll miss Ethan and what he brings but we'll get him healthy and 100 per cent.''

Bronx33
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
One guy a hated losing was drury but i found this Q and A on kuklas corner and thought you might enjoy it.....

Q. Last year when Buffalo got so close and then there was all that talk about signing players, that they might not be able to keep the cast intact; obviously they did. I mean, was that a large consideration considering you lost Jay McKee and Mike Grier, who were two very large pieces of the puzzle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, you know, going into an off season with so many guys having to sign, I don’t think anyone knew as far as the players who was going to be here and who wasn’t.
But obviously they kept a lot of guys and signed a lot of contracts this summer, and it’s certainly working out.
Q. Are the Sabres just made for, you know, the way the game is played right now? I mean, obviously fast skating team, lots of offense, and you keep the puck moving up the ice.
CHRIS DRURY: I like to think we would do well with the old rules, too. I think first and foremost we have got good goaltending. No matter what the rules are, I think you can have a chance to win every night with the two goalies we have.
As far as the new rules, we have guys that can skate, they can certainly all move the puck, and that’s where it all gets started, I think.

DAVID KEON: Good afternoon, everyone. I’m David Keon with the National Hockey League’s Public Relations Department, and I’d like to welcome everyone to today’s call.
With us we have Buffalo Sabres forward, Chris Drury. Thanks to Chris for taking the time today to answer your questions, and thanks to Mike Gilbert and Chris Bandera of the Sabres’ public relations department for arranging the call.
His 8th NHL season, third with Buffalo, Chris is tied for the league lead in goals with Atlanta’s Marian Hossa, each with ten.
He has added four assists in his nine games played, giving him 14 points and a tie for second in overall league scoring with teammate Maxim Afinogenov.
With Monday’s 4 1 win over Montreal, the Sabres set franchise record of nine wins from the start of the season, breaking the team mark set in 1975/’76.
A win in New York against the Islanders tomorrow night will tie the National Hockey League record for most consecutive wins from the start of the season set by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1993/’94.
Going back to last season, the Sabres have won 14 consecutive regular season games. Again, we thank Chris for taking time to answer your questions today.
Q. Last year when Buffalo got so close and then there was all that talk about signing players, that they might not be able to keep the cast intact; obviously they did. I mean, was that a large consideration considering you lost Jay McKee and Mike Grier, who were two very large pieces of the puzzle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, you know, going into an off season with so many guys having to sign, I don’t think anyone knew as far as the players who was going to be here and who wasn’t.
But obviously they kept a lot of guys and signed a lot of contracts this summer, and it’s certainly working out.
Q. Are the Sabres just made for, you know, the way the game is played right now? I mean, obviously fast skating team, lots of offense, and you keep the puck moving up the ice.
CHRIS DRURY: I like to think we would do well with the old rules, too. I think first and foremost we have got good goaltending. No matter what the rules are, I think you can have a chance to win every night with the two goalies we have.
As far as the new rules, we have guys that can skate, they can certainly all move the puck, and that’s where it all gets started, I think.
Q. How neat would it be to set this record? I mean, I know the guys that from ‘93 Leafs team consider it once their careers were over, looked back and thought it was a pretty special accomplishment.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah I think it would be pretty neat in the midst of an 82 game season, it’s not something we were or are thinking about. Half the guys in the locker room don’t even know about it, which is a good thing.
But definitely if we do accomplish it, it would be nice to be a part of it.
Q. The suggestion’s been made I mean, this is a record that maybe should have an asterisk because you guys have won some games in a shootout which they didn’t have back then. The NHL says there as no asterisk. If it happens, it happens.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I didn’t think about that point. You know, but the way to get two points and the rules the way they are, it’s nothing that either team can control. So I guess ultimately it’s the league’s decision.
Q. I guess the last thing is, were you aware that the night that the night they got their 10th was the night Joe Carter hit his World Series home run?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I have never seen the home run, but no I didn’t know that was the same night.
Q. Coach was saying today he’s really been relegated into a role of being a nitpicker in this streak. And as poorly as you played in certain stretches, you guys still find ways to win. Is it difficult in a 9 0 run to find fault with this team?
CHRIS D RURY: No. There’s always stuff to work on and improve on. You know, we’ve come from behind a few games and had a lot of floppy periods here and there. As was already mentioned, there were some shootouts. Ryan Miller made 40 some saves against Detroit. What happens at the end of the night, whether you’re on a winning streak or not, there’s always things to work on, and we’re well aware of that.
Q. Can you not though be happy or pleased with such an accomplishment right now?
CHRIS DRURY: Well, you know, our mindset is not to be satisfied with the previous game, I guess. The old saying, “You’re only as good as your last game.” Our motto is, “You’re only as good as your next game.”
Seems like when the buzzer blows guys are already thinking about the next one , who we’re playing, and how they do, and what are their tendencies.
You know, there’s some satisfaction, I think, maybe until about midnight of that night, and then that game and that day is over with and you got to get ready for the next one.
Q. Are the Sabres as tough to beat or tough to beat because they can spread the offense around? I mean, a lot of teams are trying to find a first line or whatever. Seems like it doesn’t really matter what game it is, you’re getting lots of offense from lots of people, which makes it very, very difficult for the other team to handle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, I think being deep is important. I think we showed that last year just having a well balanced attack. Same thing this year. I think also special teams, too. Having two power plays. I don’t know if you want to call one A and one B, but that helps. And also penalty killing. I don’t think there’s any drop off from the first penalty kill to the next. We’re pretty deep in all areas, so that certainly helps.
Q. Considering you got so close last year to get into the Cup final, was it a burning desire, obviously, this most of this cast to say, Okay, we got this close; we’re not going to let to get away?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I don’t think anyone really thought we were that close. Maybe on paper, but the 4th game in the conference finals, and obviously the hardest game to win, and the next four are even harder. We know we still have a lot of work to do, and we’re still very, very hungry.
Q. Hey, I know that you guys aren’t thinking about the streak itself, or you’re trying not to. But to be at least a motivating factor where you can say, Look, you’re nine games up already. Here’s the next goal. In terms of just trying to find each goal every night so you don’t get complacent, is that something you can point toward?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. There’s always little battles to be won throughout the season. Going into Montreal was a little it’s a little battle along the way, and Lindy is great at finding little things along the way. He hasn’t mentioned the streak yet. I don’t know if he will. We know there’s two games left in the month, and it would certainly be nice to finish off those two with wins.
Q. Has anybody in the dressing room say, Hey, let’s at least be aware of it? That it’s going on?
CHRIS DRURY: No, nothing formally. Maybe a little side conversations, but nothing as a group.
Q. (Inaudible.) How are you going to handle package of Hossa/Kovalchuk?
CHRIS DRURY: They certainly do have a lot of skill. And the biggest thing I think is their lineup can skate like ours. Certainly not looking past the Islanders at all, but we know how hot Atlanta has been and, you know, getting great goaltending. First things, first, you know. But certainly on Saturday we’re going to have to be sharp.
Q. What do you think is your biggest strength and weakness right now?
CHRIS DRURY: Certainly our depth I think has got to be a strength. Just as I mentioned before, in all scenarios goalie, D, forward, special teams. Weakness, I’m not sure. We’re working a lot on our system. Still working on our forecheck every day and watching video on it. Hopefully we can get that nailed down soon.

Breck Bronc
10-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Looks like a bunch of Omaners managed to get down to the Pepsi Center last night to catch Ovechkin's lone appearance in Denver until 2010-'11 (nice schedule your league has there, Gary).

I was at the Can last night as well and Ovechkin was certainly worth the price of admission (there were a ton of empty seats last night, such a shame).

My family used to have season tickets in the lower bowl, so I never realized how stupid the Avalanche/Pepsi Center's policy is of not letting people with tickets upstairs to at least watch warm-ups from ice level. I had tickets in the upper level last night and had to sneak past an usher to get down to watch the Caps and Avs have their pre-game skate. I know that the Florida Panthers encourage fans with tickets upstairs to watch warm-ups from ice level.

As far as the game itself, the Avs blew what should have been 2 points. Games like this are going to keep them from making the playoffs. I thought Brisebois, Clark, Skrastins and Vaananen were all awful last night and essentially lost the game for Colorado. The first goal Budaj let in was terrible, but he played decent the rest of the night, stopping one breakaway, a penalty shot and a couple of 2-on-1's. It sucks that Leopold had the setback -- this team needs all the help it can get on the blueline. Ossi should be ashamed that he got schooled by, of all people, Donald Brashear to put the game away.

It's nice to have a center in Paul Stastny that can actually win important faceoffs.

On the opening faceoff I noticed the two number 8's lined up right next to each other. One is the future of the NHL and the other is the future of the Avalanche.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1546/ovechkinwolskismdsc0366ll3.jpg

Bronx33
10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Brisebois gets bum rap
Patrik from Sweden: What's not to like about No. 71?
By Adrian Dater
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/26/2006 10:06:52 AM MDT

Denver Post sports writer Adrian Dater posts his Avs Mailbag each Wednesday during the 2006-07 NHL season on DenverPost.com, which earned distinction for its online-exclusive series of Mailbags at this year's Colorado AP Reporters and Editors Awards.

To drop a question into the Avs Mailbag click here or visit DenverPost.com's Avalanche Page.

Hi, Adrian. I have a question about Patrice Brisebois. Every day I'm reading on the Avs official forum, and there are entire threads about what an "awful" hockey player Brisebois is. He is solid at both ends of the ice and a tremendous passer. Is he that bad, or just an underrated player that deserves some credit?
-- Patrik Nilsson, Malmo, Sweden

Patrik - Brisebois is one of those guys who just gets picked on more than he deserves. It's like me in high school, at Mascoma Valley Regional High in New Hampshire; I'm 6-5, 140 pounds soaking wet back then, senior, 1983. I'm a nice guy, do all the right things in life. I mean, I'm just hoping I don't sprout a new patch of zits the size of Rhode Island on my face, that's all. I don't want to bother anybody. But yet, I got picked on a lot. I solved that by getting up to about 225 my sophomore year of college and deadlifting 600 pounds.

But no matter how well Brisebois plays at times - he's had four assists the last two games as I write this - the guy still gets picked on. He's been a GOOD player for the Avs since he came here from Montreal. Yes, I know he has the occasional turnover. Yes, I know what happened in the last two games of the Western semis last year against Anaheim. But look at the guy play most nights, and he does a nice job.

I think Brisebois needs to do the equivalent of getting up to 225 and squeezing the bones
Colorado signed Patrice Brisebois as a free agent on Aug. 3, 2005. (Post file)
of my former tormentors from high school into sawdust the first time I shook their hands in a Mascoma reunion one year. He needs to stand up and tell the world, "Listen, I had 38 points last year for the Avs. That's twice as many as Adam Foote got most years here. I know I'm not Bobby Orr, but get off my back for crying out loud."

I think a little standing up for himself would get the bullies off his case.

Yo, Adrian! Sorry, couldn't resist. What do you see this season's role being for Jordan Leopold? Any chance of him quarterbacking the power play's first unit?
-- Brian, Ithaca, N.Y.

Brian - Yeah, I think there's a chance Leopold could QB the power play at some point, but I think John Liles has that job pretty well sewn up at this point.

Leopold suffered a setback in his rehab from hernia surgery. He hasn't skated much lately. But he should be back by early November, according to people I trust with the Avs.

Leopold is a good two-way player, and I think he's going to be a welcome addition to the Avs when he comes back.

Yo, Adrian. Love the Avs Mailbag! With the cap room the Avs will have next offseason, do you think there is any chance of bringing in some guys from the past like Peter Forsberg or Chris Drury?
-- John, Stillwater, Okla.

John - Assuming you haven't had too much to drink when you asked about Drury, the answer is no. He's leading the NHL in goal scoring right now, and he's just a tremendous team leader. He's getting to be as big in Buffalo now as Jim Kelly ever was.

Trading Drury away remains probably the single biggest mistake former Avs general manager Pierre Lacroix ever made. Look, Lacroix has made some of the greatest trades in NHL history - Ray Bourque, Patrick Roy, Claude Lemieux - and that won him a couple of Stanley Cups. That in itself is something that will forever rank high in Lacroix's professional resume, and something Avalanche fans should be forever grateful for. But the Drury trade was a fiasco. Let's not mince words here. Lacroix thought he was getting a potential Norris Trophy winner at the time in Derek Morris. But, while Morris wasn't a horrible player at all, he just didn't have the moxie to be a great NHLer.

Drury has that moxie. It's why he's almost ALWAYS on a winning team. Isn't it funny how Buffalo has totally turned its fortunes around since getting Drury?

As for Forsberg, nothing would surprise me with him. He's probably the most unpredictable player and person I've ever covered since becoming an NHL writer in 1995. I would doubt he'll come back to Colorado, just for a number of logistical reasons, but it wouldn't shock me. I don't think the Philly thing has worked out too well for him. As usual, he's been hurt a lot - the guy gets hurt more than T.J. Hooker from the bad '80s cop show - and from the insiders I hear from, he doesn't like the organization much anymore. But I don't know if he's going to want to play beyond this year.

The guy has had so many injuries and, let's face it, his game is starting to slip a little. I watched a recent game of his with the Flyers, and I can tell you from a previous eight years of watching him night in-night out, he doesn't have quite the same speed as he once did. In the new NHL, he's starting to become more of just another guy on the ice. And yet, he's still Forsberg. He can still bring you out of your seat. But I don't know how much longer that will last.

Adrian: While I was never a huge David Aebischer fan, between him and Peter Budaj we had serviceable goaltending. Knowing that $4.6 million would be gone this year from Rob Blake and Joe Sakic's bonus payouts, do you not think it was foolish and irresponsible for Pierre Lacroix to tie up $5 million in Jose Theodore?
-- Brad Jacobs, Golden

Brad - Aha, the inevitable Theodore question.

As I write, Theodore has, in effect, lost his starting job to Peter Budaj. Joel Quenneville pooh-poohed the subject today at practice, but the fact is it is BIG news around the Avs and the rest of the NHL that Theodore is being benched in favor of Budaj.

Some of the NHL experts I've talked to the last couple of days think it was a big mistake by Quenneville to play Theodore in Montreal. I don't necessarily agree. I think a win in Montreal would have boosted Theodore's confidence level back to 100 percent. Quenneville gambled that would happen - and lost. But Theodore was hung out to dry in that game. I mean, the Avs' defense was awful the last two periods, and the team ran around taking stupid penalties all night.

That said, yes, I saw the goal Theodore allowed to Martin Lapointe against Chicago a couple games before. That was a horrible goal, and it cost the Avs at least a point.

I don't know what's going to happen with Jose. I think he has talent, but my favorite saying in sports is "the numbers are the numbers." And right now, Theodore's numbers aren't very good. You can make up a million excuses as to why that is, but excuses are for losers.

That's my second favorite saying.

Hello, Mr. Dater. Being a Colorado native, I realize no athlete will ever surpass John Elway here. However, I also just realized how good we have had it over the years with Joe Sakic. He is simply one of the greatest players ever. Do you believe that fellow Coloradoans will ever realize it, too, and will Colorado ever become a "hockey state"?
-- Brandon Angel, Florence

Brandon - No question, Joe Sakic is one of the best and classiest athletes that will ever have graced this fine state. I just can't say ONE bad word about Joe Sakic. I've covered the guy for 11 years now, and there hasn't been ONE time I've ever thought bad about him. I like to kid him a lot - and he returns the fire, trust me - but the man will forever go down as one of my most favorite people I ever met.

Sakic is probably the most consistent player I've ever met. On and off the ice. He can have a bad game, and he's the same in the locker room. He can get six points the next night, and he's the same in the locker room. He never whines, never moans, never gloats, never gets rude. He's just a great guy, period. He's one of those people in life who is good in every area. No wonder he's been as successful as he's been.

Since several of the minor pro leagues - and all junior hockey and college - require visors now, when is the NHL going to get smart and mandate them? For the older players, add a grandfather clause like they did with helmets.
-- Julie, Lakewood

Julie - There is a lot of inside talk in the NHL now that visors will be made mandatory soon. It might not happen next year, but I think it'll be done within five years. There just have been too many serious injuries, and the league is getting tired of worrying about some of its best stars possibly sidelined forever with an eye injury that could have been prevented.

What reason do I have to shell out $150 to see the Avs this season?
-- Bryon, Fort Carson

Byron - Two names: Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny. These guys are for real, and are going to be BIG stars.

alkemical
10-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Well i don't know about YOUR #71, but "my" #71 might win an award this year - oh yeah and get us to the play offs.

;)

It's been along time since i could be cheery for my team.

Bronx33
10-27-2006, 08:04 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182020&hubname=nhl

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - John Stevens had to wait a little longer to savour his first NHL win. With perhaps the most tumultuous week in Flyers history behind them, it was certainly worth it.

Peter Forsberg and Simon Gagne each scored in a shootout, lifting Philadelphia to a 3-2 win over the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday night, making Stevens a winner in his Flyers' coaching debut.

"It's great to get the first win," Stevens said. "The team needed something to build on, something to build confidence in my team. I think it was terrific the way it ended."

After Johan Hedberg had 29 saves in regulation and overtime for the Thrashers, he was pulled for Kari Lehtonen. The Flyers jumped all over the goalie change, with Gagne and Forsberg scoring on the Flyers' first two shots.
Related Info

* Highlights: ATL 2, PHI 3

Vyacheslav Kozlov had the only shootout goal for Atlanta on its first shot. No one else could slip one past steady Antero Niittymaki, who had 28 saves.

"When you make a change like this, this is what should happen when you get a new coach, a new energy to the team," Forsberg said. "We came out the way we should come out."

This was the boost the Flyers desperately needed five days after Stevens was promoted from first-year assistant to coach, hoping to nudge them out of last place.

The Flyers entered with the worst record and fewest points in the NHL, a shaky start that resulted in one of the most drastic shakeups in team history. Longtime general manager Bob Clarke resigned and coach Ken Hitchcock was fired Sunday with the Flyers on their first five-game losing streak since 2002 and off to their worst start in 17 years.

"It was a great experience," Stevens said. "It was something that was much needed."

Forsberg, Gagne and Niittymaki ensured the losing streak wouldn't stretch to six. And while 2-6-1 hardly sounds promising, the win was a strong start to a five-game homestand.

Even the Thrashers could tell this was more than a meaningless early-season game for the Flyers.

"Obviously they were very happy, from what I heard," centre Bobby Holik said. "They weren't too thrilled playing for Hitchcock of late. They were excited that he's out of here, but we were aware of that. But, hey, for us it's just another game."

Still bothered by a sprained left wrist that kept him out of one game, Forsberg delivered when needed in an already-big early-season game. Not only that, he scored on a power play.

The Flyers were a measly 4-for-55 on the power play this season, 0-for-15 the last three games, and squandered their only other opportunity against Atlanta. With Andy Sutton still in the box from a second period holding penalty, Forsberg knocked the puck off Hedberg's pads from close range only 56 seconds into the third for a 2-1 lead.

Forsberg raised his stick in celebration 56 seconds into the third and finally got a rise of a surprisingly smaller crowd than the traditionally packed arena the Flyers are used to.

Holik, though, tied it 2-2 midway through the period with a shot that stunned Niittymaki.

Thrashers coach Bob Hartley said he made the shootout goalie switch because Lehtonen was his stopper.

"The Moose (Hedberg) gave us a great game, but we feel the guy who could make a difference in a shootout was Kari," Hartley said.

Playing at home may have been a spark for the Flyers. The Flyers played six of their first eight games on the road, including a 9-1 loss at Buffalo that convinced chairman Ed Snider he needed to fire Hitchcock after three-plus seasons without a Stanley Cup final appearance.

Though Stevens said he expected some pre-game jitters, he appeared relaxed behind the bench, his hands behind his back, watching many of the same players he coached to a minor-league title two seasons ago.

"Obviously there were butterflies. It's a different league," Stevens said.

The Flyers got an early lift about two minutes into the game when Mike Knuble snagged the loose puck down the right side just past the blue line and made a nice feed to Randy Robitaille who scored for a 1-0 lead.

Atlanta came back about five minutes later when Kovalchuk was left all alone and streaked down centre ice for an easy breakaway goal, tying the score 1-1.

Notes: Kovalchuk has scored a point in six straight games.. The Thrashers finished their second set of back-to-backs this season and play the fourth game of a five-game, eight-day road trip Saturday at Buffalo.. The Flyers completed their organizational coaching shuffling, naming Joe Mullen assistant coach of the AHL Philadelphia Phantoms.. Flyers D Lars Jonsson (ankle) played his first game of the season.

Bronx33
10-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Remember tucker beating the snot out eaves the other night well in the rematch last night Chris Neil got in tuckers grill and tucker backed down.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161899443102&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278

Tucker decline's Neil's offer

Leaf: It wouldn't make sense to fight
No scraps despite pre-game growling
Oct. 27, 2006. 08:29 AM
PAUL HUNTER
SPORTS REPORTER

OTTAWA—It was a moment that was made for dramatic television and likely defused what could have turned the game between the Maple Leafs and Senators into an ugly fight-fest.

As the two teams got lined up for the opening faceoff, Ottawa super-pest Chris Neil stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Toronto winger Darcy Tucker.

Neil had been baiting Tucker through the media over the last 48 hours, getting on him because the Leaf dropped his gloves and took on Ottawa's Patrick Eaves, a player who hasn't fought since he was a teenager, in Tuesday's game at Toronto.

As they waited for the puck to drop, Neil leaned into Tucker, going almost nose-to-nose with his rival, incessantly yapping. It looked like a drill sergeant getting in the face of a young recruit.

Neil's essential message was, if you have a problem with the Senators, come to me — not a perceived lightweight like Eaves. "I asked him to fight and he didn't oblige me," Neil said later. "After that, I just went out and played hockey. I just let him know he can't be going after a guy like Patty Eaves."

Tucker said he tried not to listen to Neil, but it was tough because the Senator was right in his ear.

"It's his job. I've no problem with it at all. But I'm not going to get into fisticuffs with somebody who is going to clean my clock," Tucker said.

"I've been around long enough to know not to give them any momentum at the start of the game. It doesn't make sense for me to fight a 225-pound guy. I'm going to get walloped and everyone will get a good cheer out of it so it doesn't make sense to do that."

There were no fights at all in a game that was hyped in Ottawa as a potential war on ice. That, however, doesn't mean there wasn't animosity. And the Senators' fans cheered lustily whenever Tucker was at the wrong end of a check as he was involved in run-ins with both Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov in the first.

With Tucker trading punches with Eaves on Tuesday and teammate Chad Kilger spearing Ottawa's Christoph Schubert in the crotch, it's likely the trio of Tucker, Kilger and centre Mike Peca arrived in Ottawa as the most hated line in hockey.

At least in these parts.

"Oh, I don't know, I think anyone in blue and white is probably Public Enemy No. 1 around here," Kilger said before the game.

Kilger made all the male on-lookers wince with his pitchforking of Schubert. But he said his indelicate stick work was purely accidental, the result of responding to being tripped up by the defenceman.

"I retaliated but in no way did I intend to spear him," Kilger said. "I was trying to hit with my shoulder and my stick came up. I didn't even realize it was between his legs. It's unfortunate my stick hit him there."

Tucker was baffled by his portrayal here as an enemy of the people. "Everyone thinks I'm one of the toughest guys on the team. I find that quite amazing," he said.

"I'm a buck-seventy-five (175 pounds) soaking wet. (Eaves) is , what, about 200? I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time. I didn't throw a punch until he dropped his gloves."

24champ
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Kings Goalie prospect Jonathan Bernier has been named to Team QMJHL in the Canada/Russia tourney. Apparently every year, there's a tournament between the three junior leagues in the Canadian Hockey League (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) and Russia.

24champ
10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Avalanche ranked number 20 in the HF 2006 Organizational rankings-

20. Colorado Avalanche
Strengths: Wojtek Wolski will play his first full year in the NHL this season, and should be a contender for the Calder Trophy as top rookie. Paul Stastny has made the team as a rookie and is contributing as well. Injuries opened the door to allow Brad Richardson into the Avalanche lineup last year. Most of the remaining forwards of note play in the NCAA, which means the Avalanche can wait for them to develop and not use up valuable years of pro experience under the new CBA.
Weaknesses: Top goaltending prospect Peter Budaj has been inconsistent between the pipes for Colorado and there is little behind him. The Avalanche blue line is also woefully thin, with Johnny Boychuk the only prospect who is anywhere close to making the jump to the NHL. The Avalanche will need to upgrade their prospects on defense, especially with an aging blue line in the NHL.
Top Five Prospects: Wojtek Wolski (LW), Ryan Stoa (C), Paul Stastny (C), Chris Stewart (RW), Brad Richardson (C)
Key Graduates: none

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9166&mode=threaded&order=0

Hercules Rockefeller
10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Ovy goes for 1 and 1 in Vancouver, but hits the post in the shootout and the Caps lose their 4th that way this year.

Jori
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Stars hire Neil Smith as a consultant.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/hockey/stars/stories/102806dnspostarsbriefs.3053b01.html

24champ
10-28-2006, 01:01 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/myspaceshh/oldblake.jpg

Determined to prove the naysayer's wrong, Rob Blake still
insists that he is not too old to be effective in today's NHL.

Kings shooting for Jakob Varucek or what? Man that loss to the BJs hurts, Kopitar had a wide open net and messed it up, he won't make that same mistake twice.

Bronx33
10-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Seems mr golbez is showing some anomosity towards our beloved avs..

http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/

Sign in and leave him some feedback.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Pretty crazy game so far, we only have 8 shots so far, but 4 goals (2 Crosby and 2 Talbot). Nitty is really letting Philly down, got pulled.

4-1 Pittsburgh 15 mins to go in the 2nd.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
MAF is really owning right now. He's facing a barrage of shots and stoning the Flyers.

Clockwork Orange
10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
What a poke check by MA Fleury!! Beauty.

Clockwork Orange
10-28-2006, 05:12 PM
5-1 Pens. They're just killing the Flyers.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Crosby scores. HIS FIRST EVER HAT TRICK, nice job stealing the puck from Hatcher and getting it past Esche.

HAHAHA, **** that Philadelphia crowd.

Congrats on your first ever hat trick, Sid!

5-1, Pittsburgh.

Clockwork Orange
10-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Malkin with his 5th in 5 games. 6-1 Pens.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Sweet play. Evgeni strikes again!

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Man, im really enjoying this game.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Nice skating there, Sid, almost got it to Malkin on the pass.

Clockwork Orange
10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Man, im really enjoying this game.

You should. You're doing to them what they've done to you for a while now. It's gotta feel sweet to flip the script on them.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
End of the 2nd period

Pittsburgh 6 Philadelphia 1

Crosby with a hat trick, Malkin with 1 G 1 A, Max Talbot with 2 G, 1 of which shorthanded. Fleury is really playing well, as well.

Bronx33
10-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Penns murdering the flyers...

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 06:04 PM
7-2. First goal of the year for the Recchin Ball. Staal did a great job setting all that up. Malkin with an assist as well. 3 point night for Evgeni. 2 assists for young Jordan.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Dominic Moore from John LeClair, nice 2 on 1 play.

8-2, Pittsburgh.

Sweet. Keep taking it to the Flyers.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Kings game is ONLINE whoot!

Link-

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1502270&ticket=9e67e8dd8351175dff574c3c6ecb4957&s=97660066&start=0&end=&afr=1&nodeid=1058826&trk=&d=999&tz=&pg=fd270f656061516ce1a8193fbe932551&sl=&so=/Yahoo%20Sports/nhllive/nhl_live/2006102809&t=wmp

Currently 1-1 2nd period.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Edit- Avery you dumbass. Play under review. No goal.

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Forsberg stoned by Fleury.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:23 PM
haha Kopitar knocks out the Goalie with a one-timer.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:29 PM
hooohoo Ott of the Stars got the snot kicked out of him in a fight, Kostopoulos! Crap another fight by Barnaby and Cowan. Fights galore tonight!:~ohyah!:

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Game over, 8-2. That's our 4th straight win. For the time being, we are back in first in the Atlantic, hopefully Columbus beats the Devils.

I'll be at the game on Wednesday at the Staples Center against the Kings.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Kings shooting themselves in the foot again with all these dumbass penalties.

24champ
10-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Socal the Kings vs Stars game is pretty good. Put the link up if you want to get a look at the kings.

Mtbrncofn
10-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Game over, 8-2. That's our 4th straight win. For the time being, we are back in first in the Atlantic, hopefully Columbus beats the Devils.

I'll be at the game on Wednesday at the Staples Center against the Kings.
Let me guess, Esche is in net tonight?

SoCalBronco
10-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Let me guess, Esche is in net tonight?

Nittimaki started the game and then got pulled when he let in 4 goals on something like his first 9 shots, Esche came in and let it another 4 on about 20 shots or so.

Mtbrncofn
10-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Hmm. Well at least they didn't leave one in there like they did the last time. That was just merciless.

SoCalBronco
10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Jordan Staal has been informed that he will not be sent back to Peterborough.

So this year will count against his RFA status, however the Pens will have another decision to make at the 40 game mark, as if he plays more than 40, the year will count towards his UFA status.

Killericon
10-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Jordan Staal has been informed that he will not be sent back to Peterborough.

So this year will count against his RFA status, however the Pens will have another decision to make at the 40 game mark, as if he plays more than 40, the year will count towards his UFA status.

I'd keep him on all year...Though, personally, I'd try to trade him for a winger or a D-man.

SoCalBronco
10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I'd keep him on all year...Though, personally, I'd try to trade him for a winger or a D-man.

They aren't going to trade him....at least not in the next couple of years. He's our best defensive forward and one of our best PKers. He's getting better on offense too. He has good hockey sense and a great build and reach. Shero loves him, he could have had Jack Johnson for him but didnt go for it.

Eventually though, if Staal continues to get better, we will have to trade him as we can't pay everyone. If Fleury keeps developing and playing like an elite goaltender, they are going to pay him, ofcourse the same for Crosby and Malkin. Staal eventually is going to be dealt....just not for awhile.

alkemical
10-29-2006, 08:27 PM
The pens if the play it right, would have to decide.

But i think they will be able to keep 3 "top" guys.

Killericon
10-29-2006, 09:10 PM
They aren't going to trade him....at least not in the next couple of years. He's our best defensive forward and one of our best PKers. He's getting better on offense too. He has good hockey sense and a great build and reach. Shero loves him, he could have had Jack Johnson for him but didnt go for it.

Eventually though, if Staal continues to get better, we will have to trade him as we can't pay everyone. If Fleury keeps developing and playing like an elite goaltender, they are going to pay him, ofcourse the same for Crosby and Malkin. Staal eventually is going to be dealt....just not for awhile.

Well, if we're being totally honest, I would've drafted Phil Kessel in that posistion.

Jori
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Hockey's Future organizational rankings (1-15);

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9171

24champ
10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
For you Pen fans...I hate Brian Hayward. So this is a good vid.:~ohyah!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenIb77iidg&mode=related&search=

24champ
10-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Some hockey fights-

Boogard(Wild) vs Fedoruk (Ducks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uP1HRQet-Q

Ott (Stars) vs Kostopolous (Kings)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNcEInUTdg

Bronx33
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.nhl.com/

Liles and duke two of the three stars on nhl.com

Bronx33
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
A little funny i found

Alexander Ovechkin Hat Trick?

1 goal, 1 assist, and 15 giveaways from hogging the puck all night?

Bronx33
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
http://hockeyanalysis.com/?p=391

Bronx33
10-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Something i found on goonblog.....

I would like to congratulate Gary Bettman for doing his very best for improving the NHL as we know it. Gary, you have done a marvelous job since you have been Commissioner of the NHL. You have been instrumental in 2 work stoppages, half of the 1994-95 season (468 games), and a complete loss of the 2004-05 season.

Gary, great job in bringing back half empty arenas, and for moving two great Canadian franchises in Quebec City and Winnipeg. Sure, we have a “new” team in Ottawa, but you’re right, Carolina, Nashville and Miami are much better hockey markets. Nothing says “Old Time Hockey” like those blue, silver, and bright yellow jerseys of the Nashville Predators. I can’t wait until Pittsburgh, Edmonton, or Calgary move since we all know Houston, Kansas City and Las Vegas are such hotbeds for hockey!

Thank you Gary for bringing us a schedule where we don’t need to see each team every year. In a place like Vancouver, they have hundreds of fans who would like to see the Leafs, Habs or Bruins play the Canucks every season, but once again, you’re right, playing Calgary, Minnesota and Edmonton 8 times a season is much more entertaining than seeing an original 6 team like New York, Detroit, or Toronto. Who cares if the Stanley Cup Champions play here? Who cares if Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin or Staal play here every 3 seasons? Gary, you’re right, we don’t need them.

Mr. Bettman, how do you do it? How did you get such a sweet deal on OLN? Yes, having the NHL on a channel Americans have to pay for is much better than ESPN. The numbers don’t lie; OLN’s numbers prove that. ESPN, NBC, CBS, yeah, we don’t need that. We have Pay Per View; how fortunate are we! What ever happened to that Fox Trax puck? I miss that.

Getting back to the schedule, I really like how some games are worth two points and others three. It’s also so exciting to see no battles in front of the net or body contact of any kind. Hockey is such a great game now. I couldn’t stand watching Todd Bertuzzi slamming Chris Chelios or freight training Barret Jackman. Those bodychecks were so violent! We don’t need that in OUR sport. No way! I prefer to see Henrik or Daniel Sedin, able to stand unimpeded in front of the crease so they can tap in a rebound! I’m so happy that fighting is almost gone from the game. Now I have more time to go get some popcorn or a drink instead of wondering if Brian McGratton would fight Wade Brookbank. Wait, the Canucks got rid of Brookbank because he was tough. Also, that fight would only happen every three years.

Gary, I’m thrilled that there are so many Europeans in the game. Having Europeans on the third and fourth line is fascinating. Watching them cycle the puck back and forth behind the net is so exciting. I’m glad to see guys such as PJ Stock, Gino Odjick and Tie Domi gone from the game. They didn’t bring anything to the game that a fourth liner from Europe couldn’t. I really hated to hear those chants of Gino, Gino, Gino we used to hear when he went after Marty McSorley or Tie Domi. Like I mentioned fighting was a despicable part of the game. I now have time to go to the washroom, beating those intermission crowds.

I really enjoy watching five on four, four on three, or five on three games nightly. There’s nothing more entertaining than seeing more goals. I love seeing the stars racking up the points like Gretzky and Lemieux used to. We don’t need those old records that were set before you became commissioner. Players like Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito or Bobby Orr aren’t important. They played in that era of fighting and limited power plays. These players had to battle nightly for space on the ice or in front of the net. I’m so glad to see that you don’t have to pay a price to score. What a chore that was. If Gretzky played in today’s game, he may have gotten 400 points, but let’s not get silly now.

And thank you for the two-referee system. Get some more people out there on the ice and call more penalties. Forty minor penalties per game is exciting and really gets the average Joe and Joan heading to the arena. In conclusion Mr.Bettman, I’d just like to say that the game, as you see it, could never be better & I hope you are thrilled with today’s product coming to a rink near you. By the way Gary, have you ever played the game, or even watched it?

Sincerely,

A WHL fan.

24champ
10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Kudos to that guy...someone needs to start a website called firebettmen.com. This game is going down and not up. It should be going up with all these young guns in the league but that is what ZERO marketing does.

SoCalBronco
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Sopel with a goal for 24champbailey's Kings. Looked like it was deflected off a Ranger.

1-0 Kings over Finkle's Rags.

alkemical
10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Go Kings! I want the rangers to loose.

SoCalBronco
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Go Kings! I want the rangers to loose.

Yep, I'm hoping they beat the Rags too. But hopefully its a really physical game and the Kings get worn out for Wednesday night ;D

SoCalBronco
10-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Sopel with another goal. Puck skipped in through, Lundquist seemed to misjudge it.

2-0, Kings.

alkemical
10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Yep, I'm hoping they beat the Rags too. But hopefully its a really physical game and the Kings get worn out for Wednesday night ;D

I'd like the streak to keep going too. I'm more than pleased with how this team has looked this early. I'm hoping that they keep getting better and better.

Bronx33
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Im posting this because (I NEVER WIN NOTHING!) but things changed when i checked my email today, i won 25 bucks! from a guess a game winner contest on kuklas korner http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/weblog/comments/for_the_kk_members/

A gift certificate to http://www.icejerseys.com/index.php

Mtbrncofn
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
That letter was great. I hope it somehow makes it way before Bettman's eyes someday.

SoCalBronco
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I will be at Staples Center tonight wearing my Crosby jersey.

Prolly wont get much work done today just thinking about the game.

We better pull it out, as I don't want to have a Kopitar avatar for the next week.

You're going down 24champbailey.

alkemical
11-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Sweet Socal!

I'm going to try to make it to a pens game at home this year. I might go to PHI though (cost reasons)

Bronx33
11-01-2006, 10:53 AM
NEW YORK (Nov. 1, 2006)- NHL Interactive Cyber Enterprises (ICE), the digital arm of the National Hockey League (NHL), today announced a multi-year deal to provide NHL video content to Google Video. The NHL will provide in-season full-length games on delay to Google Video at http://video.google.com/nhl.html. Google also will receive select NHL classic games.
In addition to the game content, the NHL also will work with Google to allow certain NHL themed user-generated content on http://video.google.com/nhl.html. This is the first time Google Video has worked with a major professional sports league in such a manner.
To celebrate its 89th season and this increased access to video content, the NHL will be offering its content for free – without ads – for the first two weeks of November.
“When web users are searching for diverse video content, Google Video is the first place they go, just as NHL.com is the first place hockey fans go when they want NHL video,” said Keith Ritter, President of NHL ICE. “The combination of our content and Google’s massive reach is a terrific pairing, and we’re excited to add fan-generated content to the mix.”

alkemical
11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Wow very cool

24champ
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
We better pull it out, as I don't want to have a Kopitar avatar for the next week.

You're going down 24champbailey.

We shall see!:strong:

Breck Bronc
11-01-2006, 08:49 PM
The Avs played a solid game tonight against Columbus and Theodore had his second good game in a row after the Montreal debacle.

If you're an Avalanche fan you've got to love this forward corps. They've got 4 lines that can skate and all of them are capable of scoring. This season the fourth line had been quiet on the scoresheet (aside from Brad Richardson), but tonight they scored some big goals. All three guys on the fourth line are good penalty killers so any offense they generate is a bonus.

There are three forwards that are injured and I don't see any space for them. Pierre Turgeon and Brad May in the lineup would make the team worse, IMO, and I hope they never come back. Cody McCormick has always been a good fourth liner so maybe he will find a spot in the top-12, but who do you sit? I think Mark Rycroft proved his worth after being a healthy scratch last Wednesday vs. Washington for George Parros.

The defense still needs some work and I'm thinking a forward or two will be traded to shore the blueline up, even after Jordan Leopold comes back.

I'll be interested to see how Colorado plays against the elite teams in the league like Anaheim, Buffalo, and San Jose. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well they've played so far this year and would like to see them against a more talented team. The Avs have been in every game this season and should be better than their 6-4-2 mark.

alkemical
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
My pens are down vs. the kings right now

Bronx33
11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey i found this GIF you might want for your siggy..

http://www.sundin.de/hfboards/malkin.avi

alkemical
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks!

SoCalBronco
11-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Just got back from the game....that was great.

Overall, we were kinda sloppy, and especially got it taken to us in the 2nd period but other than that, I thought we played pretty well. Alwasy good to get a win on the road. It was great to see Malkin and Crosby in person. I didn't see who it was, but someone went after Malkin but just bounced off of him onto the ice. It was a nice experience at the Staples Center, there were actually a good number of Pens fans there, too. Jordan Staal really impressed me, tonight. He looks like he is getting faster. In the preseason he was lumbering along but he is really developing well. Recchi had a good night too and Nils Ekman is finally showing up a little bit. I was impressed by the Kings hustle.

Fleury wasn't his best tonight, he gave up a bunch of bad rebounds, but he got better in the 3rd period.

Go Pens. 7-3 and first place in the Atlantic.
Man, Malkin is just on a huge tear, he has 11 points in 6 games now and Crosby had 3 assists tonight, he is closing in on the league lead.

alkemical
11-02-2006, 06:34 AM
glad you were there for a win!

24champ
11-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Just got back from the game....that was great.

Overall, we were kinda sloppy, and especially got it taken to us in the 2nd period but other than that, I thought we played pretty well. Alwasy good to get a win on the road. It was great to see Malkin and Crosby in person. I didn't see who it was, but someone went after Malkin but just bounced off of him onto the ice. It was a nice experience at the Staples Center, there were actually a good number of Pens fans there, too. Jordan Staal really impressed me, tonight. He looks like he is getting faster. In the preseason he was lumbering along but he is really developing well. Recchi had a good night too and Nils Ekman is finally showing up a little bit. I was impressed by the Kings hustle.

Fleury wasn't his best tonight, he gave up a bunch of bad rebounds, but he got better in the 3rd period.

Go Pens. 7-3 and first place in the Atlantic.
Man, Malkin is just on a huge tear, he has 11 points in 6 games now and Crosby had 3 assists tonight, he is closing in on the league lead.
Yeah refereeing was terrific too.~Popps~ :cuss:

Kopitar was virtually prison raped out there and got NO CALLS. Malkin skates into Matty's stick and gets a gift call for OVERTIME! I happen to agree with Marc Crawford who thought the calls were quote "*****ING BS", Im suprised he didn't start throwing sticks on the ice. Horrible game. So bring on that ****ing Malkin avatar Socal.

Bronx33
11-02-2006, 08:52 AM
(Dave King malkins former coach with Metallurg Magnitogorsk)

Wayne Gretzky couldn't do it. Neither did Mario Lemieux. Not Pavel Bure or Brett Hull or Gordie Howe either.

Ever since the National Hockey League formed in 1917, no player began his career by scoring a goal in six consecutive games, a feat that Pittsburgh Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin achieved in Wednesday night's date with the Los Angeles Kings.

Malkin skated into the record books at precisely 8:29 of the opening period on a play that began when Penguins forward Colby Armstrong bumped Kings defenceman Aaron Miller off the puck. Sidney Crosby swooped in to scoop up the loose puck and centred it in front to Malkin, who caught goaltender Dan Cloutier moving the wrong way and scored with a wrist shot, glove side, from about 10 feet out.

The goal, which gave the Penguins a 2-1 lead, enabled Malkin to exceed the previous high of goals in five consecutive games to start a career established by a Boston Bruins rookie named Dmitri Kvartalnov (nicknamed Special K) back in the 1992-93 season.

Kvartalnov turned out to be not-so-special after all, playing just 112 NHL games over two seasons, before finishing his journeyman career with stops in Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Germany and Russia.

Malkin, it would appear, is destined for far greater things.

One person watching Malkin carefully these days is Dave King, his former coach with Metallurg Magnitogorsk in Russia last season. Of Malkin's rapid adjustment to life in the NHL, King said: "I'm not surprised at all. I knew he was ready, almost a year ago.

"The one thing about Malkin is, he wasn't a guy who would get five points in one game and then go four or five games with nothing. He scored consistently almost every game. He was really consistent in terms of the effort he delivers — and when you're consistent with your effort, quite often you're more consistent with your statistics, too. They're related.

"I've watched him on TV and they haven't used him much to kill penalties — and that's the other side of the coin. I'm sure they will in time. I understand Michel (Therrien, the Penguins coach) is trying to spread the workload around the whole roster. But if they ever start to use this guy to kill penalties, they will become particularly dangerous, playing a man short — because he is excellent.

"So the results don't surprise me. He's a very consistent guy, who loves to play."

Malkin entered the game with five goals and seven assists (and a plus-7 rating), a primary factor in the Penguins' quick start to the new season. Pittsburgh produced only 10 wins on the road all of last season, tied with Chicago for the second lowest total in the league. This year, they were off to a 3-0 start on the road and were one of only two NHL teams that entered Wednesday's play with a spotless record away from home.

Thus far, Malkin and Crosby have been a dynamic combination, even though they're only half-a-dozen games into their partnership. It's almost as if they've been playing together a long time.

"When you get good players together, the one thing that happens is they're usually one play ahead of everyone else," analyzed King. "They're hard to defend because they're constantly in motion. They recognize, 'if I give it to him, I'm going to get it back.' With the new rules now that take away the ability to tackle, they're just terrific to watch."

Malkin celebrated his record-setting goal with a smile and a leap into the arms of his teammates that is rapidly becoming his trademark early in his NHL career. Both Malkin and Crosby play the game with so much passion and joy that their enthusiasm spills over into the rest of the lineup.

"I was so fortunate because last year, at every practice, Malks could just pick you up — you and the team," said King. "He was just forever upbeat. He only had one stretch when he didn't score consistently, but he was still able to keep the smile on. He's a terrific guy and he's got such flair.

"Flair is such a nice thing, but sometimes it's of no value to a player; it can get in the way. This guy's got a natural flair for the game, for playing the game at a high-tempo style. He'll challenge you one on one. In practice, he'd get that puck and wind up and his eyes would light up, if he were attacking someone like Dmitri Yushkevich, because he was an ex-NHL player."

King said both Yushkevich and Igor Korolev, two ex-Leafs, were important to Malkin's development last season, Korolev because he spent time with Malkin working on face-off technique; Yushkevich because on every drill, he would get in Malkin's face and crowd him and give him a taste of the physical play he could expect upon arriving in the NHL.

"Watching these two guys with Malkin, it was as if they knew this guy was going to be great — and they were going to help him be greater."

It worked, apparently, since no one else in NHL history ever started his career so well. The only mystery now is to see what Malkin might do for an encore.

Clockwork Orange
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Clodd Bertuzzi has back surgery, out 6-8 weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2647141

Bronx33
11-02-2006, 02:16 PM
A little something i tripped on today.......

Hockey Babe Wallpapers

http://www.thehockeyboard.com/index.php/?page_id=9

Bronx33
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I thought this was a pretty sweet picture of one of malkins goals last night.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4128/malkin110106vlaksu4.png

24champ
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I thought this was a pretty sweet picture of one of malkins goals last night.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4128/malkin110106vlaksu4.png

Do you happen to have the pic of Malkin skating right into Norstroms stick by any chance?

SoCalBronco
11-02-2006, 06:35 PM
24champbailey,

You don't have to change your avatar. It's ok.

Plus, I like the one you have now, anyway.

Bronx33
11-03-2006, 09:51 AM
You all think a sticky thread deticated just to hockey pictures is a good idea? i run into cool stuff all the time, GIFs, clips ect.

Bronx33
11-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Do you happen to have the pic of Malkin skating right into Norstroms stick by any chance?

Nope but i will keep an eye out.

Bronx33
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15917760.htm?source=rss&channel=dailynews_sports

ON WEDNESDAY, Colin Campbell was the soup of the day. Last night, Neil Smith sauntered into the Wachovia Center press box, a recent

escapee from the broadcast booth, now employed as a Dallas Stars scout.

That's former NHL general manager Neil Smith to you.

Formerly of the Rangers, most recently of the Islanders. Looking to get back to what he feels he does best: run a hockey team.

"I'm not going to lie," he said. "I'm happy doing this, but when the time is right, I hope someone thinks of me that way."

It's an interesting choice of words, given the events that have taken place around the

Flyers' organization over the last 2 weeks. Time is right? The

timing of Bob Clarke's resignation couldn't have come at a worse time in this modern,

salary-capped NHL. The firing of a Stanley Cup-winning coach so quickly into the season seems quirky, too.

Time is right? The personnel decisions for this team had been made. The wriggle room for the rest of the year is about the width of a penalty box. As Smith said: "The thing with these general managers now is that there is not much maneuverability. In the old days, we made mistakes, we buried them. You can't do that now."

So this is what Paul Holmgren has: a team with little confidence and a propensity to trip out of the gate each game, as it did again in last night's 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay.

This is what else he has: a team captain who really isn't a captain. Peter Forsberg might be the best hockey player on the planet, but last night, he stole a page right out of Eric Lindros' "How Not to Be Seen" manual. Remember when "E" slipped out the back door during the Stanley Cup finals? Well last night, after single-handedly sabotaging his young team's third-period

comeback with a slew of penalties that left his team searching for a tying goal while shorthanded, Forsberg did the same thing.

Not exactly, "Follow me, boys."

Yo, Keith. Sure that head of yours doesn't feel better?

So what's a Homer to do? How does Paul Holmgren wipe the

interim tag from his title? How does he prove to Ed Snider, who has already offered his job to Campbell, only to be refused, that he is the guy to right the wrongs and get this team playing to preseason expectations?

Especially since, as Holmgren said last night, "I was part of the team that brought all those guys here."

"There are enough positives

to this," he said. "I think we all believe that this team is better than the record shows. Maybe we're wrong, but right now

we're thinking we have to get this group headed in the right

direction."

Or at least headed in the same direction. Right now, they run

into one another a lot, seem

surprised to see one another at times, and overall, play NHL hockey as if they all just met 5 minutes ago on the local pond. Pucks fired over and wide of the net, rushed passes that just missed - "Our confidence right now is not very high," Simon Gagne said afterward. "And it seems it falls really quick if the other team starts out playing

better than us.

"The beginning of the third was pretty much how we have to play. But we need to do it for 60 minutes. And you need to learn that."

The Flyers pulled from a 3-0 third-period hole to 3-2 before their rally was muted by Forsberg's repeated trips to the box. Clearly some of it was due to some selective and overly aggressive refereeing by Marc Joannette, but Forsberg begged for his second unsportsmanlike call. Thing is, that might have made sense in the first period, when his team needed juice. In the third, down by a goal, it was just stupid.

Still, neither Joannette nor Forsberg coughed up the insurance goal to Vincent Lecavalier behind his own goalie-less net. That would be Joni Pitkanen, one of their few defensemen who qualifies as a veteran.

"I think if you are a hockey person analyzing the Flyers' organization from a player-personnel setup, they're far from a mess," Smith said. "I actually thought they were going to be the best team in the league last year. I thought they had done the best job coming out of the lockout. I thought they were going to be one of the contenders for the Cup. I said it on TV, I can't deny it."

And why would he?

Those are the kind of words that give us hope.

And get GMs hired.

Or maybe - if Holmgren can improve things quick enough - un-interimmed.

"Right now I'm in the position," Holmgren said. "Nobody has told me I can't make trades to make the team better. That's what we're trying to do. I look at it as an opportunity that no one else has, frankly."

Clockwork Orange
11-03-2006, 11:01 AM
This is what else he has: a team captain who really isn't a captain. Peter Forsberg might be the best hockey player on the planet, but last night, he stole a page right out of Eric Lindros' "How Not to Be Seen" manual. Remember when "E" slipped out the back door during the Stanley Cup finals? Well last night, after single-handedly sabotaging his young team's third-period comeback with a slew of penalties that left his team searching for a tying goal while shorthanded, Forsberg did the same thing.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, eh Peter?

He had to know that going to Philly was going to be a much different atmosphere than what he knew here in Colorado. Here he was basically bulletproof from criticism. The fans and media rarely took him to task for anything, other than to say that he was constantly injured. Now he's in Philly, where the fans and media are much more demanding and much more brutal if things go poorly. Wearing that C on his the front of his jersey isn't helping matters, but then he never should have been given it in the first place.

24champ
11-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Stars edge Oilers after 'blown call'
Roloson argues with Peel

Roloson argues with Peel

Canadian Press

11/4/2006 2:25:26 AM

EDMONTON (CP) - Even the referee agreed the Edmonton Oilers might have gotten a bad break in Friday's 3-2 loss to the Dallas Stars.

With just four seconds left to play in the game, Ales Hemsky looked like he had scored on Dallas goalie Marty Turco but referee Mick McGeough called the goal off. He had blown the whistle a heartbeat before on the face-off, convinced that Shawn Horcoff had made a glove pass off the draw.

It was something the replays showed did not occur.

Upon further reflection, McGeough agreed.
Related Info

* Highlights: DAL3, EDM 2
* Oilers Report

"It was a blown call on my part," he said after the game. "It was poor judgment on my part. I thought he had his hand on the puck on the face-off but it was his stick. My judgment was poor on the play."

The soldout crowd at Rexall Place littered the ice with debris following the call.

"It was a retarded call," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish snapped. "There is no other explanation for it. I know he is a veteran official and at times I have found his antics humorous. But if this is the product of that there is a problem.

"It was a ridiculous call. I had no idea what he had called. Nobody saw the hand pass on the play because quite clearly there wasn't one. It's beyond reason.

"He should be suspended."

While Turco was sympathetic toward the Oilers, he said he heard the whistle and had stopped moving on Hemsky's shot.

"The whistle had gone a long time before the puck went in," he said. "That's what we were going off of. It's a tough break for them. Who knows what would have happened?

"But the whistle went as he was shooting. I had already reacted to the whistle. I could have smothered it or swatted it away. I'm sure they are disappointed but by no means should that be thought of as a possible goal."

Dallas (11-2-0) opened the scoring with a controversial goal when Brenden Morrow beat Oilers (7-6-0) goaltender Dwayne Roloson with a wrist shot during a scramble in front of the Edmonton net.

Roloson contested that he had been interfered with on the play by Eric Lindros, but the goal was allowed.

"It was pretty clear what happened to me but obviously not clear enough," said Roloson, who will have to wait to try again for his 300th career NHL game on this night. "He said I touched the puck but it doesn't really matter when a guy comes in the crease and takes me out of the play and they score a goal. It's a no goal and a penalty. It was blatant."

There was no dispute on the Stars' second goal of the game.

With just under two minutes to play in the first period, Dallas broke out on a two-on-one and Stu Barnes was able to thread the puck under sprawling Oilers defenceman Jason Smith to Niklas Hagman, who had a wide open net to shoot at.

The Stars outshot Edmonton 14-5 in the first.

Edmonton came out firing to start the second and got a big break four minutes in when Ryan Smyth's shot from behind the net went in off Turco's leg.

But the Stars were able to restore their two-goal edge late in the second as a seemingly innocent point shot by Trevor Daley eluded Roloson with just 58 seconds remaining in the period.

For the second game in a row the Oilers were able to get back to within striking distance late in the match as Petr Sykora scored his eighth of the season with Roloson on the bench for the extra attacker and just 1:25 left on the clock, setting up the drama of the dying seconds.

The Oilers now head on a five-game road trip starting in Montreal on Tuesday, hoping to improve upon their away record of 1-4.

The Stars head to Vancouver for their second of a four game road swing on Monday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182889&hubname=nhl

Way to go Mick Magoo.:wave:

24champ
11-04-2006, 02:11 AM
24champbailey,

You don't have to change your avatar. It's ok.

Plus, I like the one you have now, anyway.

Yeah Double or nothing next time? Which is in what 2-3 years thanks to the excellent scheduling the NHL has done. No seriously I will put the Malkin avatar up later, bad mojo to put up a black and gold avatar with Broncos playing Steelers on sunday.:thumbsup:

Mtbrncofn
11-04-2006, 08:51 AM
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, eh Peter?

He had to know that going to Philly was going to be a much different atmosphere than what he knew here in Colorado. Here he was basically bulletproof from criticism. The fans and media rarely took him to task for anything, other than to say that he was constantly injured. Now he's in Philly, where the fans and media are much more demanding and much more brutal if things go poorly. Wearing that C on his the front of his jersey isn't helping matters, but then he never should have been given it in the first place.

This surprises me to hear you say this, CO. :) Why do you think he shouldn't have been given the C?

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah Double or nothing next time? Which is in what 2-3 years thanks to the excellent scheduling the NHL has done. No seriously I will put the Malkin avatar up later, bad mojo to put up a black and gold avatar with Broncos playing Steelers on sunday.:thumbsup:

Good thinkin 24..

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Sounds like McGeough is still mad about having to wear a helmet.

Heres a clip on his royal **** up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrpxnkTlAKU

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwapv9S_rE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89PFRG3log

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P53wAyrx2ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07LHckcgu8s

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Interesting artical about the flyers.....

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/SPORTS04/611040371

Saturday, November 4, 2006

Ed Snider has not asked me to be the Flyers' next general manager, but if a few more candidates turn down his offers he just might.

Last week's botched attempt to convince Colin Campbell to take the job Bob Clarke no longer wanted spoke volumes about the state the Flyers are in these days.

Not since the early 1990s have I seen the Flyers in this much turmoil, both on the ice and in the front office. Some scouts around the NHL believe their season is unsalvageable, that the club is in such disrepair it will take years to bring it back.

They might be right.

What the Flyers really need is a new direction, and so here are 10 moves I'd make if Snider gave me free reign of the team:

1. Fire Paul Holmgren: He is an honorable guy and a team player, but this club needs a clean break from the Clarke era and keeping Holmgren would be a mistake.

After all, if Clarke is right and Holmgren has been calling most of the shots the past year or so, this team's poor start is as much Holmgren's fault as it is Clarke's.

2. Hire Ken Hitchcock as general manager: He's already making $1.1 million in each of the next three seasons, so you might as well get something in return. This might seem preposterous at first, but Hitchcock has one of the brightest minds in hockey and has an uncanny ability to evaluate talent.

He gets along well with coach John Stevens and his bark from his second-floor office will hardly be heard by players who grew tired of hearing him at practice.

3. Bring back Ron Hextall: Say what you want about bringing back old-time Flyers. Hextall, now the assistant GM in Los Angeles, is smart, knows the league as well as anyone, and bleeds orange and black. His family likes it here and with Clarke and Holmgren gone, there is no roadblock preventing him from someday being the Flyers' general manager.

4. Keep John Stevens: He is the perfect coach for a young team: demanding but not a tyrant; calm without being a pushover. The Flyers would be wise to keep this guy through what could be a long rebuilding phase.

5. Re-sign Peter Forsberg: He's either staying or he's going, and I want to know which way he's leaning. Forsberg keeps saying he's waiting for his reconstructed right foot to be 100 percent before he opens contract negotiations. He says the foot is not 100 percent; the Flyers say it is.

Maybe, just maybe, Forsberg is stalling, waiting to see if it is worth his while to remain a passenger on the Titanic. If Forsberg is not in this for the long haul -- and I'm not sure he is -- I trade him now for the best young defenseman I can find. Because the longer I wait, the less I'm going to get in return.

6. Name a new captain: Through the first month of the season, it is clear that Forsberg is uncomfortable wearing the "C" and is being asked to be something he is not.

Forsberg is a wonderful player, but he is not a captain and the Flyers are in desperate need of one.

Mike Knuble is probably the best choice in a locker room devoid of leadership. He gives effort, demands effort and is brutally honest with his evaluation of his teammates' play. Like Forsberg, he too, would need to be re-signed before his value diminishes.

7. Trade Robert Esche: I like the guy's competitiveness, but by naming Antero Niittymaki his starter against Tampa on Thursday it's clear Stevens thinks Niitty is his No. 1 goalie. If Esche can't get a start after pitching a shutout, how long will it be before he demands a trade, thereby decreasing his value?

8. Waive Derian Hatcher: I can live with Mike Rathje's deficiencies, but it's time to move Hatcher and his $3.5 million salary. Hatcher is a hard-nosed, no-nonsense guy in the locker room, but when a guy isn't playing well, he cannot lead. Hatcher's voice in the locker room has been muted by his play on the ice.

9. Trade Kyle Calder: How can a guy go from scoring 26 goals on a last-place team to scoring zero goals on a last-place team? Somebody out there must believe Calder is worth something. A prospect? A backup goalie? A bag of pucks?

10. Give myself a fat raise: With one in college and three more on the way, I sure could use another zero on my paychecks.

Jori
11-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Way to go Mick Magoo.:wave:

He admitted he made a mistake on Edmonton radio last night. Good job Mick :rofl:

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 11:19 AM
He admitted he made a mistake on Edmonton radio last night. Good job Mick :rofl:

It's funny the faceoff ref didn't say anything or mick and his ego simply didn't care to ask him. (the faceoff ref saw the whole thing)

24champ
11-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Mr. Magoo is the most hated ref in LA, nobody back there is suprised by what Magoo does.

They were throwing cups full of beer and more at him!Ha!

http://images.sportsline.com/b/ap/photos/NHL_STARS_OILERS_HOCKEY3857630_lower.jpg

Bronx33
11-04-2006, 12:39 PM
The league is a joke...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182937&hubname=nhl

With just four seconds left to play in the game, Ales Hemsky looked like he had scored on Dallas goalie Marty Turco but referee Mick McGeough called the goal off. He had blown the whistle a heartbeat before on the face-off, convinced that Shawn Horcoff had made a glove pass off the draw.

"It was a retarded call," MacTavish snapped after the game. "There is no other explanation for it. I know he is a veteran official and at times I have found his antics humorous. But if this is the product of that there is a problem.

"It was a ridiculous call. I had no idea what he had called. Nobody saw the hand pass on the play because quite clearly there wasn't one. It's beyond reason.
Related Info

* Stars edge Oilers after 'blown call'
* Oilers send Mikhnov to AHL's Penguins

"He should be suspended."

"The NHL acknowledges the fact that referee Mick McGeough made the wrong call on a play late in the game, which he later admitted to the media following the game," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell in a statement.

"While the NHL regrets the missed call, Craig MacTavish's comments after the game regarding the call were totally inappropriate and crossed the line."

Atlanta Thrashers head coach Bob Hartley, was also assessed a gross misconduct and fined $10,000 for verbal abuse of the officials at the conclusion of Friday night's game against Washington.

Clockwork Orange
11-04-2006, 01:28 PM
This surprises me to hear you say this, CO. :) Why do you think he shouldn't have been given the C?

As great a player that he is, he's never seemed like captain material. On the ice he's a bit of a hothead, off the ice he's very reserved. He just never struck me as the type to wear the C.

Clockwork Orange
11-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Sounds like McGeough is still mad about having to wear a helmet.

Heres a clip on his royal **** up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrpxnkTlAKU

I saw the play they mentioned when Lindros interfered with Roloson, it was pretty obvious. He skated into him and knocked his stick out of his hand and the puck went by him a half second later. No call, they counted the goal. Figure that one out.

Once again, referees & umpires in every sport are accountable to no one, so it doesn't really matter how bad they screw up. Coaches and players lose their jobs for poor performance, officials can be as inept as humanly possible and never be fired.

Same old, same old.

Bronx33
11-05-2006, 09:45 AM
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=cd6e9fc8-2165-458f-8bfe-e66b76be51ed&k=66640

Human error happens, says head ref
Call for understanding makes sense, but offers little solace to Oilers fans
John MacKinnon, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Sunday, November 05, 2006

EDMONTON - At the end of a tough week for his offcials, especially Mick McGeough, Stephen Walkom, the NHL's director of officiating, deployed his sharp wit to try to defuse an inescapably bad situation.

Might McGeough be disciplined for whistling a non-existent hand pass by Shawn Horcoff, disallowing Ryan Smyth's apparent tying goal in the dying seconds of Edmonton's 3-2 loss to Dallas on Friday night?

"Well, I'll tell you, he's not getting a raise," Walkom said with a wry chuckle. "In all seriousness, he feels terrible right now. I think Mick answered it best. He didn't use good judgment.
NHL referee Mick McGeough admits he made a bad call during the dying seconds of Friday's Oilers game against Dallas at Rexall Place.View Larger
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

"It would be very difficult for me, running a team of officials, to criticize my own guy. I actually want to praise him for taking ownership about making a mistake. It created a lot of controversy and may have cost a team a point or a game. I think it's big news because it rarely happens. And maybe that's a good thing."

Which doesn't do a damn thing for the Oilers, or their shellshocked fans, many of whom sat in stunned disbelief at Rexall Place after seeing their team apparently wipe out a 3-1 deficit with two straight goals with goalie Dwayne Roloson pulled for a sixth attacker.

An inspiring comeback wiped out by a glaring, inexplicable mistake. "Human error," Walkom called it, a term more commonly associated with horrible plane crashes or disasters at sea.

Oilers fan Jim Knutsen's response was to compose this simple message for the NHL big shots.

Dear NHL,

You owe the Edmonton Oilers one point. Your standings indicate that Dallas won the game 3-2, when in fact the Oilers tied the game with four seconds remaining. Please fix your error in the standings.

Thank you,

Jim Knutsen

Sorry, Jim.

Not going to happen.

McGeough and Walkom discussed the matter Saturday afternoon, but unlike Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish, who was fined $10,000 US for branding the call "retarded," or Atlanta Thrashers head man Bob Hartley, who was dinged a similar amount for verbal abuse of the officials after Atlanta beat Washington 4-3 Friday night, McGeough won't be disciplined. Although this can't possibly help his case to be included in the playoff rotation.

"He's the first guy to tell you that he'd like to roll back the clock and have that one back," Walkom said of McGeough, who will officiate in his 1,000th NHL game this season.

"It basically was a human error."

But once McGeough blew his whistle, the scoring play was moot, maddening as that may be for Oilers fans.

For all concerned, you hope this out-and-out flub has a short shelf life. You hope the Oilers, for example, don't miss out on the playoff tournament by a single point, not an unlikely event, given recent history.

In that doomsday scenario, a blown call in November would live in infamy forever -- fans' dreams shattered; millions in post-season revenue gone.

As it is, the league's officiating team took some verbal lumps this week, including some from Philadelphia sniper Peter Forsberg, who was upset about a non-call against Tampa and what he believed was an undeserved high-sticking call on him late in the Flyers' 5-3 loss to the Lightning on Thursday.

"When I hear Peter talk, I hear a frustrated star on a frustrated team that's losing a lot, costing his team a game with a penalty," said Walkom.

"That's tough to take responsibility for."

A bit more than one season removed from the lockout, when a broad cross-section of the NHL's stakeholders worked together to reshape the game, Walkom says he is not concerned about quality control slippage among his crew.
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

"Once in a while, (teams) will lose a game because of a call that's made on the ice," Walkom said.

"In the crazy world of sport, that's almost part of the game.

"We're 200 games in -- that's one-sixth of the season -- and we're talking about one (high-sticking penalty) and one error that the official admitted was an error."

Replays showed Forsberg had committed the high-sticking infraction. And Hartley is a notorious referee-baiter, win or lose. But McGeough's gaffe was off the charts bad, softened only by the veteran's swift acknowledgment and solid reputation.

"I don't want to be in the paper every day about the officials and officiating," Walkom continued.

"But I'm not naive enough to think that it's never going to be in the paper. I've got full faith in (the officials). Our team is

actually better this year with the changes we've made. I do believe, though, that the expectation is even higher.

"The forgiveness for a missed call or an over-reaction is going to be less than last year. We are going to be expected to be better and we need to be better because the wiggle room is going to be smaller."

In Edmonton, from here on out, the wiggle room has shrunk to zero.

Bronx33
11-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Now This would be funny if true it's probably not but funny anyways..

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17423505&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

Speaking of Forsberg, a source out of Detroit told the Daily Times the Flyers are listening to trade offers for their captain.

According to the source, the Red Wings have considerable interest and have had scouts at several Flyers games this season.

As many as five NHL scouts were slated to be present for the Flyers game against the Washington Capitals Saturday, including a representative for the Red Wings.

The source also said the Flyers have expressed interest in defensmen Mathieu Schneider and Andreas Lilja, although it wasn’t certain if they were being discussed in a deal for Forsberg.

If in fact the Flyers do move Forsberg, who is the face of the franchise, and don’t get at least some star quality in return, there is no doubt that a nuclear winter could be close behind for the Flyers.

Although, they might be having their hand forced by Forsberg at this point.

Forsberg is a free agent at the end of the season and has been deft at avoiding answering questions about signing an extension to stay in Philadelphia.

His non-answers may be a message that he has no intention of re-signing here, and maybe the Flyers have picked up on that.

Maybe they now figure they need to get something for him before he walks away in April for nothing.

But if it’s Forsberg for the aforementioned players from Detroit, it’ll be the end of an era in Philadelphia. The end of a prosperous, winning tradition that could be finalized next June with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman strolling to a podium in Ottawa and saying: "With the first selection, in the 2007 NHL entry draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select ..
©DelcoTimes 2006

alkemical
11-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Sharks D did well vs the Pens.

Will be interested to see then if the pens can overcome ana

Mtbrncofn
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
It irritates me to hear that "Forsberg is the face of the franchise" crap. He was the face ( or a lot of it ) of our franchise. :cuss:

Good gawd, can you imagine him in Detroit? Lord, we'd have to face him 4 times a year.

Bronx33
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
It irritates me to hear that "Forsberg is the face of the franchise" crap. He was the face ( or a lot of it ) of our franchise. :cuss:

Good gawd, can you imagine him in Detroit? Lord, we'd have to face him 4 times a year.

For all the crap i took from wingie fans through the years because he was so good, i would laugh my a** off if they got him.

Mtbrncofn
11-05-2006, 09:22 PM
For all the crap i took from wingie fans through the years because he was so good, i would laugh my a** off if they got him.

Boy, you've got a point there. There's a Wing fan here ( Smiling Assassin27 ) that I've known for years now that gave me **** endlessly about him. Divealanche was his favorite site for ammo.

Even then, I still wouldn't want him there. That's just wrong.

Killericon
11-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I know it's Eklund, but it's interesting all the same.

Alfredsson to Calgary for Robyn Regehr (e2), People calling for Forsberg
Sunday @ 12:50 PM ET | Comments (155) (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=6545&forum_id=1)
Interesting turn of events last night. I was following a few rumors involving teams inquiring about Forsberg. One being Detroit, the other Calgary, when I happened on a trade that is in discussion between the Flames and the Sens. This deal would send Alfredsson to Calgary and bring Robyn Regehr.

Could get interesting this week.

Ek

broncocalijohn
11-05-2006, 11:42 PM
soCal, you going to the game in Anaheim on MOnday? Ill be there as the Ducks fan of course. Like to talk puck or Broncos football if you are going. Mys eason seats are in the nose bleed but always sneak down to Plaza level. Let me know. I cant wiat to see the Pens. Ducks going for the scoring record tomorrow. SHould be a great game.

24champ
11-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I know it's Eklund, but it's interesting all the same.

Killer you hear any rumors in Calgary of a trade with Los Angeles? I hear they are interested in Conroy...

Clockwork Orange
11-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Let me say, once again, what a shame it is that Ilya Kovalchuk is stuck in that ****hole of a sports town known as Atlanta. This guy is a flat out stud and he gets overlooked far too often because the market he's in renders him a lot more anonymous than he should be.

That is all.

Clockwork Orange
11-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey Jori, refresh my memory here, the Avs own Calgary's 2nd rounder in the '07 draft, correct?

broncocalijohn
11-07-2006, 01:40 AM
remember also that the schedules will not cross to other conferences except a few times a year. We dont see many players and with coverage on VERSUS, we arent going to hear much on some of these gems. It was nice to see Crosby and crew come to Anaheim on Monday. Probably 3 years from now to see them again. One more game for the Ducks to hit the consecutive points per game to start a season. Canucks will be the victim.

alkemical
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
damn pens

Jori
11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey Jori, refresh my memory here, the Avs own Calgary's 2nd rounder in the '07 draft, correct?

Once Tanguay signed a long term deal with the Flames, the Avs have the option of using Calgary's second round pick in 07 or 08. My guess is that they'll use it in 07. There isn't a lot of high end talent in this draft, but there is some good depth.

Clockwork Orange
11-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Jason Williams of the Wings was taken off with his head taped to a stretcher after a clean, but vicious, hit from Edmonton's Raffi Torres. Williams got caught with his head down right next to the net.

Hopefully it looked worse than it is.

alkemical
11-08-2006, 09:08 PM
damn pens

broncocalijohn
11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
damn pens

U r spoiled. Good, young teams.

alkemical
11-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Oh i know - and how can i be spoiled, i've been pens fan even through the dark ages.

broncocalijohn
11-10-2006, 12:02 AM
anybody witness the horror of the Canucks jersey? That logo sucks eggs and this is coming from a Ducks fan. On the bright side, My (Mighty) Ducks just got the 15th consecutive game in a row of at least one point to start a season.

alkemical
11-10-2006, 01:54 PM
i saw the ducks win

Bronx33
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Jezzzz Q are ya pacing yourself?

It was 11:30 a.m. Thursday, when Avalanche players usually filter off the practice ice for the day. Sure enough, players started heading for the dressing room, but it wasn't long before they came back out.

One hour of practice wasn't sufficient for Avs coach Joel Quenneville; after a resurfacing of the ice by the Zamboni, his players trudged back out for nearly another hour's worth of drills, capped off at the end by a "bag skate" - so named for the bags you see in the pouches in airline seats in case of illness.

The grueling practice can safely be considered punishment from Quenneville for what he feels has been insufficient effort by his team of late. The Avs' 6-5 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night angered Quenneville, and his displeasure appears to have sunk in.

Before the practice, the Avalanche held a players-only meeting in which one thing more than any other was stressed: "We talked about battling more," Avs defenseman John-Michael Liles said. "It's about playing a full 60 minutes. Maybe it's being a little bit too complacent, and trying to hold onto the lead rather than just playing our game. When we play our game, we develop chances. And when we step back from that, I think it allows the other team to get chances. And when we do that, we don't get as many."

The Avs have a winning record (7-6-2), but have lost to under-.500 teams such as the Kings, St. Louis, Washington and Chicago.

The Avs had the second most goals in the Western Conference entering Thursday (51), but had allowed 49.

Now come several tough games on the schedule, starting in Nashville on Saturday.

Quenneville put his team through a lengthy period of defensive zone coverage drills, and said more responsible play without the puck is a must if the Avs are to improve.

"We've got to get that awareness defensively, and really place a premium on it," Quenneville said. "That's going to win hockey games for you. It's a concentration and a focus, knowing that there is plenty of offense around our lineup."

The Avs of 2006-07 have seemed to relax too much when they get a lead, not doing the things they did to get the lead. The Avs also have gotten off to slow starts the last four games.

"I haven't been happy with our last four starts," Quenneville said. "They haven't been good enough for me. It's a trend that has kind of stuck out, and has led to sporadic play in all four games."

Quenneville juggled his lines at practice, putting Milan Hejduk back on the first line with Joe Sakic and Andrew Brunette. Ian Laperriere has replaced Hejduk on a line with rookies Paul Stastny and Wojtek Wolski.

Quenneville expressed confidence in goalie Jose Theodore, saying his teammates were as much to blame for Tuesday's loss as he was. He indicated Theodore will start Saturday against the Predators.

Avalanche left wing Antti Laaksonen, who has played 14 games without a point and was not on the first penalty-killing unit at practice, said he must do more to help the team.

"I'd like to get points, but it's not coming my way," Laaksonen said. "I've got to work on defense and try to get chances that way. Defensively lately, we haven't been doing the right things. We've got a lot of offense here, but we've got to take care of our own end better."

Clockwork Orange
11-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Quenneville juggled his lines at practice, putting Milan Hejduk back on the first line with Joe Sakic and Andrew Brunette. Ian Laperriere has replaced Hejduk on a line with rookies Paul Stastny and Wojtek Wolski.

How nice. He's obviously pissed at Svatos if he's dropping him to 3rd line duties, yet Breezeby gets a free pass despite being the worst player on the team.

I starting to think the reason I so liked the Quenneville hiring was because anyone would have been better than Tony Granato. I'm having serious doubts about that right now.

alkemical
11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I saw svatos at the AHL level and the dude is off or on.

Bronx33
11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I have been pointing the finger at how Q handled the blues and how is is handling the avs, i was pumped about Q coming to town and hoped he learned a lesson or two in st louis. (i was wrong) hes still a goalie killer and a confidence killer.

alkemical
11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
maybe he can go work for the flyers, they need someone to replace booby clarke

Clockwork Orange
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I saw svatos at the AHL level and the dude is off or on.

He's pretty much the same now, but he hardly deserves to be singled out by the head coach.

Pendejo
11-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Here's a link to a pretty interesting article about Patrick Roy coaching in th QMJHL...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/halloffame06/columns/story?id=2654455

Mtbrncofn
11-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I hate line juggling like that, especially when it's an undeserved demotion.

24champ
11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Three years ago, Roy opened the doors to his home to rookies Joey Ryan and Andrew Andricopoulos when their original billets' marriage broke up.

Last year, Russian star Alexander Radulov, the player of the year in the Quebec league and a top Nashville prospect, moved in while Radulov's billets moved into an apartment in Roy's new lakefront home.

This year, Russian twins Roman and Ruslan Bashkirov are living with Roy and thriving under his tutelage.

For Ryan, a Los Angeles Kings prospect, the memories of sitting down with Roy and watching "CSI" and other shows will linger as long as those of hoisting the Memorial Cup.

"It was awesome," he said
Cool a King gets mentioned in the article. ;D

Clockwork Orange
11-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Theodore lets in another softie. Unscreened slapper from a stride inside the blue line and he somehow couldn't stop it.

Same old, same old.

Clockwork Orange
11-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Quenneville juggles the lines and the Avs get shutout. Way to fix what wasn't broken, Q. ::)

Jori
11-12-2006, 01:46 AM
There was no need to breakup the Wolski/Stastny/Hejduk line.

What was worse, the goal Theodore gave up or the Avs power play?

Mtbrncofn
11-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Gosh, that is a toss up. Since Theo is perpetually on my **** list, I'll go with the Charmin soft goal.

Killericon
11-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm feeling somewhat confident in the Flames...

alkemical
11-12-2006, 11:17 AM
flames are going to be good this year. They got lots of talent and they play a good game. But they still put too much pressure on iginla to do it all it seems.

Bronx33
11-13-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061112/2066427.asp

http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2006/11/12/1112innhl_mrln.jpg

Remember the uproar in 2001, when Dominik Hasek had the audacity to say he would wear the Detroit Red Wings sweater over that of the Buffalo Sabres upon entering the Hall of Fame? It took months to get over that little slap in the face, but it shouldn't have been more than two seconds.

Hasek picking the Wings was in response to an unfair question. Players don't enter hockey's Hall tethered to a particular team, the way they do in baseball. The Dominator will waltz in the way he would prefer, by himself, assuming he'll someday follow through with his retirement plans.

Good thing Patrick Roy wasn't forced to pick a sweater before entering the Hall this week. He wouldn't know which to choose, the Montreal Canadiens or the Colorado Avalanche. He won two Stanley Cups during his 10-plus seasons in Montreal and two more in seven-plus seasons in Colorado.

It's like asking him to name his favorite child.

"It would have been a very tough decision," Roy said during a conference call last week. "Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that decision. I played for two solid organizations and won with both of them. They were both were willing to do whatever it takes to win the Stanley Cup."

And so was he.

Roy had a reputation for being arrogant, built when he was young and brash early in his career, but more than anything he'll be known as a winner. He retired with 551 career victories, the most ever. He had a record 151 victories in the playoffs, including 23 postseason shutouts. In 1993, he won 10 straight overtime games for the Canadiens.

"I had a better feeling going to my house and winning, 7-5, than losing, 2-1," Roy said.

Along the way, he was also a three-time Vezina Trophy winner and a three-time Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the postseason. The Canadiens initially wanted him to be a standup goaltender, but instead he perfected the butterfly style that became the standard.

Martin Brodeur has a chance to break his records for victories, playoff victories and postseason shutouts, but many insiders view Roy as the best goalie in history. He was a unanimous first-ballot choice for induction, and he will officially enter the Hall on Wednesday along with forward Dick Duff, former NHL Chairman Harley Hotchkiss and late, great U.S. Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks.

Bronx33
11-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Unless hes cheap (no freaking way)

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4646232

Nashville, Tenn. - Is something brewing between the Avalanche and the Philadelphia Flyers?

If not, why were Dave Brown, the Flyers' director of player personnel, and team scout Al Hill in attendance at Saturday night's Avs-Nashville game?

The Avs don't play Philadelphia this season. The Predators do, on Nov. 29, so their presence no doubt had something to do with that. However, it is highly unusual for a team to have more than one scout at a game.

Plenty of trade rumors involve the Flyers, off to one of their poorest starts in team history. A recent Philadelphia Inquirer story reported that the Flyers have received calls from some curious teams about possible trades, including for former Avs star Peter Forsberg. Forsberg, 33, can be an unrestricted free agent next summer. He told the Inquirer he might be interested in signing an extension with the Flyers and didn't want to play for another team this season.

Forsberg, bothered because he has been unable to find a skate to properly fit his oft-injured right ankle, also hinted he might retire if he is unable to play at 100 percent.

The newspaper listed the Avalanche as a team it believed made a call, but it was not confirmed. Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere had no comment on any rumors.

The Avs still have the retired Steve Konowalchuk's $1.9 million salary to spend toward this season's salary cap.

Footnotes

Kurt Sauer, Mark Rycroft and George Parros were healthy scratches for the Avalanche. ... The Avalanche entered the game as the NHL's least-penalized team (10.8 minutes per game) and had 11 minutes Saturday. ... Former Avs winger Paul Kariya, now with the Predators, recently recorded his 800th career point. ... Colorado's John-Michael Liles is tied for sixth in scoring among defensemen (13 points). Anaheim's Chris Pronger leads at 15. ... Avs captain Joe Sakic is one assist short of Stan Mikita (926) for 14th on the all-time list.

Pendejo
11-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Unless hes cheap (no freaking way)

Peter's my favorite player, but I agree with you. I'd hate to see the Avs give up some of their young players for them, and I think they need to hold on to their prospects.

You just never know how many games you're going to get from Pete. Give the flyers Brisebois, and Turgeon...etc.

24champ
11-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Avalanche in the Vincent Lecavalier sweepstakes? Granted its Pukeland with the story-

The Tampa deal to a western team is "getting closer" according to my source. Although the source could not tell me, another source told me it is LeCavalier, and if Tampa can't get value they will look to the Rangers and try to move St. Louis to NY. Montreal and Colorado also have their eyes set on Vinny, and could get more involved "mid-week if there is no resolution."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3622

interesting, wonder what the Avs would give up?

Clockwork Orange
11-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Ducks make three deals, the most interesting involving the Avs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184177&hubname=

They got a 2nd rounder for Parros? A goon who they picked up off waivers? To say that shocks me would be an understatement.

The Avs now have three 2nd rounders in the coming draft (should they choose to use Calgary's, which I believe they will).

Nice move, Giguere. :thumbs:

24champ
11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Ducks make three deals, the most interesting involving the Avs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184177&hubname=

They got a 2nd rounder for Parros? A goon who they picked up off waivers? To say that shocks me would be an understatement.

The Avs now have three 2nd rounders in the coming draft (should they choose to use Calgary's, which I believe they will).

Nice move, Giguere. :thumbs:

2nd for PARROS? :holyguac!

I knew he was good but not good enough to trade your 2nd rounder for. You guys made out like bandits, but Im actually kind of excited now. Conroy should net the Kings some prospects and a pick.

Bronx33
11-13-2006, 05:42 PM
2nd for PARROS? :holyguac!

I knew he was good but not good enough to trade your 2nd rounder for. You guys made out like bandits, but Im actually kind of excited now. Conroy should net the Kings some prospects and a pick.

This blew me away he must have philly flyer quality written on him iam just not sure how far big bruiser /3rd 4th line checker types go in todays NHL. (But hey iam happy)

Mtbrncofn
11-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow! That was a great one. Too bad it can't take a bit of the ache from the deal that landed us Jose.

Bronx33
11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Wow! That was a great one. Too bad it can't take a bit of the ache from the deal that landed us Jose.

Let it go lady, three second rounders could pan out in the goaltender dept.

alkemical
11-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Nice to see the pens win and break the slump.

24champ
11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Roy reveals Leafs, Wings and Hawks also in the mix before trade to Colorado
PIERRE LEBRUN
November 14, 2006

TORONTO (CP) - Patrick Roy a Red Wing? A Maple Leaf? A Blackhawk?

It almost happened, says the newest Hall of Famer. That was his understanding after asking the Montreal Canadiens for a trade in December 1995. "At the time it was clear to me that they were trading me to Detroit, Toronto, Chicago or Colorado," Roy revealed Monday on the day of his induction.

Former Detroit coach Scotty Bowman confirmed the Wings were contacted by then-Montreal GM Rejean Houle.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Yes, he called us, I was handling trades at the time for Detroit," said Bowman, in town Monday for the Hall of Fame festivities. "But we had just got (goalie) Mike Vernon a year or two before from Calgary. I didn't think I could make a trade with them. But I figured maybe I could get the price up. We didn't do it. They moved him pretty quick.

"I knew he'd be going somewhere but I was just hoping it wouldn't be Colorado."

On the other hand, Cliff Fletcher, the Maple Leafs GM at the time, has no memory of any trade talks involving Roy.

"Honestly I don't ever recollect talking to Montreal about Patrick," Fletcher said before the ceremony.

Felix Potvin was the starting goalie in Toronto at the time while Chicago had star netminder Ed Belfour.

In the end, Roy was dealt to the Avalanche along with winger Mike Keane in exchange for forwards Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Rucinsky and goalie Jocelyn Thibault.

"I think Montreal did me a favour as well, allowing me to go to a team that I felt could win the Stanley Cup," said Roy. "They knew what I wanted."

Roy won a Cup with the Avs six months later.

"Had we known they were going to dump him in Colorado we might have started a bidding war to avoid that," said senior Wings executive Jimmy Devellano, who handled GM duties with coach Bowman in those years.

"Scotty and I were really upset about him going to Colorado," added Devellano, also attending the Hall of Fame ceremony Monday. "I wish we had never lit him up that night and that he'd remained in Montreal."

The Wings put nine goals behind Roy on Dec. 2, 1995, en route to a 12-1 rout. An angry Roy, before a national television audience, stared down coach Mario Tremblay before going up to team president Ronald Corey and telling him he'd played his last game as a Hab.

He was dealt four days later.

"Of course I would have liked to leave Montreal under different circumstances," Roy told reporters in French on Monday. "But now looking back, I know I had great years with the Canadiens. I think we brought joy to Habs fans and even probably surprised them somewhat with the two Cups we won (in 1986 and '93). That's what I want people in Montreal to remember."

Roy officially entered the Hall on Monday along with Original Six forward Dick Duff in the player category. Calgary Flames part-owner Harley Hotchkiss and the late Herb Brooks were also inducted in the builders' category.

Next year's class could be loaded. Mark Messier, Igor Larionov, Scott Stevens, Ron Francis and Al MacInnis are all eligible although rules only permit four at the most. Steve Yzerman and Brett Hull are eligible in 2008.

And Doug Gilmour, Pavel Bure, Glenn Anderson and Dino Cicarelli have yet to get in.

But the 41-year-old Roy was a no-brainer in his first year of eligibility after amassing 551 regular-season wins and 151 playoff victories - both NHL records, as well as three Conn Smythe Trophies (1986, '93, '96) as playoff MVP and three Vezina Trophies as the NHL's top goalie (1989, '90, '92).

The four-time Stanley Cup champion is now only missing one honour to cap off his 18-year NHL career.

His No. 33 still isn't hanging from the rafters at the Bell Centre in Montreal. This season former Montreal greats Ken Dryden and Serge Savard will have their numbers retired by the Habs.

"That's up to the Canadiens to decide," said Roy. "I think they're doing things the right way right now. It's normal that guys like Dryden and Savard are going up this season. And the rumour seems to indicate Larry Robinson will be next. It's the right way to proceed. It's their turn to see their jersey retired.

"If one day (owner) Mr. Gillett or (team president) Mr. Boivin call me to tell me my jersey is going up, obviously I'll be flattered."

But you can forget seeing Roy work for the Canadiens any time soon. He's happy coaching and managing his Quebec Remparts junior club.

"I doubt I'll find myself with the Canadiens one day although I'm not saying for sure that won't happen," Roy said. "Right now that organization is in great hands with a super head coach and an excellent GM. Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey are doing a phenomenal job and will be there for many years.

"And I like my work in junior, I feel like it's my place. There's a lot of coaches in junior that dream of making a career in the NHL way more than me.

"I lived the NHL life and today I'm happy in junior."

If there's something missing on Roy's shiny pedigree, it's his lack of an international presence. He never played in the old Canada Cups or IIHF world championships.

His one and only international tournament was the '98 Nagano Olympics and he came back without a medal although he was strong for Team Canada before losing a goalie dual to Dominik Hasek and the Czech Republic in the semifinals.

"My career was not about international events, it was about playing in the NHL," said Roy. "That was my dream and that's what I wanted. Certainly I would have liked to have seen us win in Nagano but I have no regrets. I went there and played hard and did what I could. But of course I would have like to win

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-hky_hall_of_fame&prov=cp&type=lgns

broncocalijohn
11-14-2006, 03:32 AM
Federuk was bashed in the face i believe in Chicago more than a week ago and still had problems with it. Dont know about a 2nd rounder though. Chistov was down in Portland and not playing at all until last week. Ducks have enough young studs but stacking the draft pick makes me wonder if they will package them (but they arent that high up) or just stack up the minors. It worked once. Makes me wonder what the salary room will be bringing in the near future.

Mtbrncofn
11-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Let it go lady, three second rounders could pan out in the goaltender dept.

Just can't help it. Especially after I watch him play night in and night out.

Mtbrncofn
11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
What's the word on the Cheechoo injury?

And what in the hell is taking Leopold so damn long to get back? Are we going to see him play or ring the new year in first?

alkemical
11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
What's the word on the Cheechoo injury?

And what in the hell is taking Leopold so damn long to get back? Are we going to see him play or ring the new year in first?

I hope CheeChoo is out for a while personally - that would be karma

SoCalBronco
11-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I hope CheeChoo is out for a while personally - that would be karma

Agreed. Hopefully he continues to struggle with injuries for as long as possible. He probably ruined our season, single handedly. **** him.

Bronx33
11-18-2006, 12:44 PM
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/11/18/2404690-sun.html

Jody shelley talking smack about a midget that has more heart then he will ever have and also a little tidbit about the jackets coaching situaition.

If you're an unrestricted free agent next summer and looking to get away from it all, Dallas might be the place for you.

Eric Lindros and Mike Ribeiro, who became Stars this season after playing in Toronto and Montreal respectively, are finding that the only thing that might not be bigger in Texas is the spotlight.

"There's less pressure and there's less stress," Ribeiro said.

"We're just here to play. I'm happy to move on. I had great times in Montreal, played for my dream team growing up there, but I think it's time for me to start a new life."

Lindros played in only 33 games for the Maple Leafs last year because of injuries but had 22 points. His new coach, Dave Tippett, has taken a shine to him.

"It's not that we sold him on a slower pace of life, it's maybe less of a fishbowl," Tippett said. "Philadelphia and the (New York) Rangers and Toronto were all situations where ... everything was magnified. The fact he doesn't feel like he has to hide anywhere is a good thing for him."

Through 17 games, Lindros was tied for the team lead with 12 points. Opponents have taken note.

"He was their best player and he looks like a totally different player," the New York Islanders' Jason Blake said after the Isles beat the Stars 3-0 on Wednesday night.

One who might not be long for Dallas is defenceman Jon Klemm, who led the team with 161 blocked shots last season. He has been a healthy scratch for the majority of games and at $950,000 US, would be a bargain for some teams. It's known the Leafs have sniffed around Klemm, but for now, are happy with their defence corps.

DEVILS REDUX

The Leafs will play host to the New Jersey Devils tonight in the first meeting between the teams since Oct. 12, when Toronto had a 6-3 lead entering the third and wound up losing 7-6 in a shootout.

Devils goalie Martin Brodeur is on the league's competition committee and reports the group is glad such things can happen in the NHL now.

"It shows the new system is working, that comebacks are more probable," Brodeur said before the Devils took on the Ottawa Senators last night. "Now you can come back and maybe sneak a point in a shootout. It's not going to happen every game, but in the odd game it happens and that is the beauty of the new NHL for the fans.

"(They) would go to bed with (their team holding) a 2-0 lead and now they get up and say, 'They lost?' With eight minutes to go and a 2-0 lead, you never know."

In the match on Oct. 12, the Leafs held onto that three-goal bulge until 61/2 minutes into the third, when Brian Gionta kicked off a natural hat trick. John Madden got the shootout winner.

"From what I remember, they just sat back," Brodeur said. "We just took it to them."

JUST LIKE LEAFS AND HABS

The NHL is intent on creating rivalries, darn it all, and appears to be getting one with the Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets. The Central Division foes squared off on Wednesday, meet today and again on Monday.

"There's always big hits, lots of fights and close games when we play," Predators forward Scott Hartnell said.

Blue Jackets enforcer Jody Shelley happened to hear the name of the Predators' Jordin Tootoo mentioned in the dressing room recently.

"Tootoo?" Shelley said. "Who wants to talk about that midget?"

When asked if that was on the record, Shelley said: "Sure. Why not? Let's get it rolling a little bit."

AROUND THE RINKS

Blue Jackets majority owner John McConnell instructed general manager Doug MacLean to fire coach Gerard Gallant this week and now wants a big name behind the bench. It is expected Ken Hitchcock will be interviewed next week. The question is, how much longer will MacLean last if the losing drags on? ... Message to all NHL personnel: Listen to what your colleague, Blues GM Larry Pleau, has to say about hiding injuries. "What do you think of the two-tiered league now? You know, the upper and lower bodies," Pleau said. "If a guy misses even one game in regular season, we should be telling people why. What's the big deal? I don't get it." ... You can take the boy out of Canada, etc: While his club was watching NFL games on Sunday in the dressing room after practice, Los Angeles Kings coach Marc Crawford had the TV in his office tuned to the CFL East final between the Argos and Montreal Alouettes.

Bronx33
11-18-2006, 01:05 PM
http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/11/18/2404513-sun.html

MONTREAL -- After being diagnosed with colon cancer two and a half years ago, it seems Pat Burns might turn up again behind a National Hockey League bench, if we are to believe what he said in an interview with RDS (Reseau des sports).

"I haven't given up on the possibility of coaching again," he said without missing a beat Thursday.

Burns was all smiles and the picture of health when he showed up for the interview in front of the cameras.

The former Habs coach learned of his colon cancer in March 2004. After 30 months of trying to win the most important game of his life, he says he's healthy and in good spirits.

WORKING FOR DEVILS

He's even back in hockey, working for the New Jersey Devils as a consultant in the southeastern United States where he checks up on various players and teams.

"I must say I like the job," he says. "But when the subject of hockey comes up with people like (Canadiens coach) Guy Carbonneau, that's when the coaching bug hits me even more."

Burns spends the winter in Florida with his wife Line and he's having a good time. He even boasts, jokingly, that his golf game is pretty good. He also rides a motorbike.

Still, hockey is his greatest passion.

"Hockey has always been part of my life, to be sure, and I don't want that to change."

Jacques Demers, another ex-coach of the Canadiens, doesn't doubt that teams will be eager to pounce on Burns when he's ready to come back.

Burns is the only coach in NHL history to have won the Jack Adams Trophy as coach of the year with three different teams. He did it with Montreal in 1989, the Maple Leafs in 1993 and the Bruins in 1998.

He also won the Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2003.

In 14 NHL seasons, the 54-year-old Burns has coached 1,109 games, posting a record of 501 wins, 350 losses, 161 ties and 14 overtime losses.

Mtbrncofn
11-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Agreed. Hopefully he continues to struggle with injuries for as long as possible. He probably ruined our season, single handedly. **** him.

Apparently I completely missed whatever Cheechoo did to make Pens fans unhappy? Fill me in.

Mtbrncofn
11-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Also just like to give super kudos to Budaj for his fabulous play in the last two. Congrats to Joe for finally scoring in the shootout too. :thumbs:

SoCalBronco
11-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Apparently I completely missed whatever Cheechoo did to make Pens fans unhappy? Fill me in.

When we played at San Jose a few weeks ago, he sent our best defensive defenseman, Mark Eaton, into the boards pretty viciously and was immediately tossed from the game. Eaton has been out for a few weeks now, and will be out a minimum of 2 more months, maybe 3 more. It has really hurt us big time, id say it was one of the bigger reasons why we went on that 0-3-2 slide immediately thereafter, before rebounding to take 2 of the last 3 games. Our D has really been hurt by Eaton's loss. He's really the only defenseman on the entire roster who is consistently reliable in his own end. Gonch is and always has been soft and Whitney is the biggest ****ing joke of a human being I have ever seen, a definite BUST, I don't care what he can do on offense, he is horrible in his own end. I like Welch, he has a promising future, but he isn't quite where I'd like him to be yet and Orpik is just a hitter, he isn't very positionally sound. Scuderi and Melichar are AHL types playing in the NHL.

Clockwork Orange
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
The Ducks have called up a goaltender from the minors with no reported injury to either of their current netminders. After the slew of moves Burke made not long ago, one has to wonder if the Ducks are primed to make another trade.

alkemical
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
i know nabakov veto'd going to the yotes......

Clockwork Orange
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
i know nabakov veto'd going to the yotes......

Can't say I blame him, that team's a mess.

alkemical
11-21-2006, 05:47 PM
yeah but if they get the G situation solved, i think they are fine to be honest, they got lots of talent.

SoCalBronco
11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
From Eklund...

Liles, Liles Crocodile, Hitch, Budaj, and the Forsberg Speculation

Today @ 2:16 PM ET | Comments (123)

According to several sources last night and this morning the Avs are entertaining offers for John-Michael Liles. Liles, who did score a big goal last night, has fallen off a bit this season and whenever a solid young d-man (see Seabrook) falls off, the rumor mill is opened for business.

The Rangers (e2), Canucks (e2), Oilers (e3), and Flyers (e3) are said to be part of this one with one source claiming that he had heard through a source out west that the Flyers and Avs came "as close as you can come" to completing a trade. Apparently that trade fell through in the last 48 hours, but the door isn’t shut. And I have also heard that Pete Budaj could be included should that trade escalate.

Talking to a source this morning, (not in the Flyers organization) I was told, "There is a growing rumor around the league that the Flyers are holding out on a big deal that would bring a new starting goalie to Philly. We have seen what Emery has meant to the Sens turn around, and in Philly the feeling may be, 'We can't trade all the players, we can't change the coach or GM, so the only major move to fix the personality may be to change the goalie."

Watching the Flyers as much as I do, I really felt for a long time that goaltending wasn't the problem. However, recently I will not say the goalies are playing poorly, but I will say they aren't making the key saves. The momentum saves aren't happening. You don't always need a goalie to stand on his head for 60 minutes, but you do need a goalie to make the save on a two on one right after you have scored a goal to bring it within 1.

From what I hear the chances that Hitch is behind the Blue Jackets bench in Philadelphia on Friday isn’t impossible, but I wouldn’t call it at all likely. The Jackets are being extremely thorough in this process, and walking all possible candidates through the process. Andy Murray is going through that currently. There is also word that a third candidate may be brought in as well, Kevin Dineen. A source told me he believed there to be five names on the list, but not all five may get interviewed. I have also heard another candidate may have been talk to in preparation.

The other thing that needs to happen before a coach can take the helm is a contract needs to be negotiated. What that means is that Hitch, if chosen, could probably happen a bit quicker since he is currently under a contract that needs to be honored. The Jackets would either negotiate some sort of settlement with the Flyers or take on that contract. Likely the latter I would think.

There continue to be rumors that The Flyers may deal Peter Forrsberg to San Jose or Colorado in the near future . Although I would never say never, I really don't see it happening in the near future for several reasons. First off, Forsberg is really suffering as he tries to get used to these new skates. His body language in the room last night showed tons of frustration. He also sat out practice today with a legitimate lower back injury that he suffered on a hit thrown by Orpik. I think right now the chances would be better that Peter would just sit out and try to get better and then decide whether he will continue his career than it is likely that another team would give something substantial for him in a deal. Quite simply, Peter is the reason that Flyers fans come out right now. If they do deal him, it would have to be for another reason to come out, and if you're the Sharks or Avs that would be a very big gamble right now.

The Flyers want him around. They love him in this organization. They want him to get to get better and re-sign.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3770

broncocalijohn
11-22-2006, 03:08 AM
The Ducks have called up a goaltender from the minors with no reported injury to either of their current netminders. After the slew of moves Burke made not long ago, one has to wonder if the Ducks are primed to make another trade.

The 22 year old is only here for two days according to the interview i heard between periods. Keep your panties on. Unles Ilya is still pissed about being pulled last week, we will still have two good goalies. Avs will see Giguere on Wednesday.

Mtbrncofn
11-23-2006, 01:21 AM
RE: SoCal's article/rumor.

Liles and Budaj? Oh God no. Take Jose please! I honestly feel more comfortable with Budaj than Jose. Isn't anyone stupid enough to make a great offer for Jose?

Bronx33
11-23-2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/bluejackets/bluejackets.php?story=dispatch/2006/11/23/20061123-D4-00.html

Players have heard of coach’s intensity, attention to detail
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Aaron Portzline
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Nobody in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room has played in the NHL under coach Ken Hitchcock. But they’ve all heard stories.

Hitchcock, hired by the Blue Jackets yesterday, is legendary for his demanding style behind the bench, his my-way-or-thehighway approach, and, of course, his winning ways.

The Blue Jackets will practice for Hitchcock for the first time this morning and play their first game under him Friday in Philadelphia.

Brace yourselves, boys.

"I’m sure some guys are nervous," Blue Jackets left winger Rick Nash said. "But I’m sure more guys will be excited than nervous.

"We need a change here, and I don’t think there’s a better guy than him to come here and make it happen."

Simply put, Hitchcock was hired to change the culture in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room, home to the worst record in the NHL since they joined in 2000 as an expansion franchise.

That shouldn’t be a problem, said former Flyers captain Keith Primeau, who retired last season after playing two-plus season under Hitchcock.

"It’ll be a culture shock to the players there," Primeau said. "He’s a very demanding coach. He expects perfection, and he doesn’t rest until he gets perfection.

"He’s very intense. Playing under Hitch reminded me of what it took to win. There’s a whole different level and an intensity that has to be there in practices if it’s going to be there in games."

Blue Jackets goaltending coach Clint Malarchuk was asked for one word to describe Hitchcock, a friend since childhood.

"Obsessed," Malarchuk said. "He’s a 24-7 kind of guy. He’s all about attention to detail."

The Blue Jackets say they’re ready.

"(Hitchcock) is definitely fair," said captain Adam Foote, who played under Hitchcock for Team Canada in the 2002 Olympic Games. "He’s what it’s supposed to be about, which is accountability.

"We need to learn how to do little things right and how to win hockey games."

Most of the Blue Jackets players weren’t told of Hitchcock’s hiring until after the 4-3 shootout loss to St. Louis last night.

Interim coach Gary Agnew had the TVs turned off in the dressing room area so the players could focus on snapping out of a prolonged losing streak.

Thus the dressing room had an odd vibe after the game. The players were absorbing a loss and the hiring of a new coach simultaneously.

"If you’re going to make a coaching (change)," left winger Jason Chimera said, "then you want it to be one of the guys who’s been known to win a lot in the NHL.

"The young guys will learn a lot from him, I’m sure. So will the older guys."

In eight-plus seasons, players have groused about Hitchcock’s philosophy. He preaches defense first, with a firm belief that winning hockey is rooted in a team’s ability to check, to win battles along the board and wear down opponents.

The most notable complainer was right winger Brett Hull, who scored 741 goals but never played a lick of defense until he played under Hitchcock in Dallas for three years, beginning with the Stanley Cup season (1998-99).

Hull and Hitchcock went back and forth, but Hitchcock — who never played in the NHL — had no trouble showing Hull who was boss.

"I am the last guy who puts (Hull) on the ice," Hitchcock once said, "so he either plays my way or he doesn’t go on the ice. And he knows that."

Hull and Hitchcock still disagree on Hitchcock’s style, which Hull calls boring.

But Hull has admitted: "I was a better player because of Ken Hitchcock."

Bronx33
11-24-2006, 08:49 PM
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=283787&page=NewsPage&service=page

DETROIT (CP) - The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenceman Niklas Kronwall to a US$15-million, five-year contract extension.

The 25-year-old Stockholm native had three assists in 16 games this season heading into Friday's game against St. Louis. He has two goals and 15 assists in 63 career NHL games. "I know the kid, he's a committed athlete, he trains, he works, he competes," Wings GM Ken Holland told The Canadian Press. "He won the award as the best defenceman in the AHL at the age of 23, first European to do it. He played in the Olympics last year and played well. He's a player that we want to build around.

"My feeling is that the only thing that's held him back in the NHL is that he's had a lot of bad luck with injuries."

Kronwall, who was limited to 27 games last year after suffering a serious knee injury, was Detroit's first pick, 29th overall, in the 2000 NHL entry draft.

He will earn $1.5 million in 2007-08, $3 million in 2008-09, $3.25 million in 2009-10, $3.5 million in 2010-11 and $3.75 million in 2011-12.

"For him, obviously it's great security and for us, you hope that over the course of five seasons he reaches the potential that we think he can reach," said Holland. "We think he can be a very good NHL defenceman. In looking around the league, if he reaches that full potential, there are very good defencemen that make in the $4 million to $5 million range."

Bronx33
11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/11/26/2501946-sun.html

TAMPA, FLA. -- Many teams will be looking to take a Flyer at this year's NHL trade deadline.

Injury-prone centre Peter Forsberg has insisted publicly he doesn't want to be traded, but it's believed he wouldn't balk if the club decided to deal him.

A potential unrestricted free agent in July, Forsberg, 33, has a no-trade clause in his contract.

But, as a high-profile agent noted last week, if the team continues to produce way below expectations -- they are currently worst in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-2-1 -- asking Forsberg to waive his no-trade clause likely wouldn't be difficult.

The Swede, who twice won Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche, surely doesn't want to be part of a Flyers program which is essentially rebuilding.

The Avalanche, it is believed, wouldn't mind bringing him back to help take some of the pressure off captain Joe Sakic.

The word is that Colorado is dangling defenceman Karlis Skrastins as part of a package.

Sure, Forsberg has been saying the right things publicly, but when the Flyers go to talk contract in January, is he really going to want to stay there if the club has no shot at making the post-season?

Doubtful.

Forsberg has been troubled by chronic ankle problems, but many nights when he's hurting he's still better than a lot of guys who are playing at 100%.

Which is another good reason why he is going to be a valuable commodity at the trade deadline -- if not before -- on Feb. 27.

Jori
11-26-2006, 02:02 PM
It's Garrioch, so don't expect anything to come out of it.

Mtbrncofn
11-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Damn, these rumors are getting irritating.

SoCalBronco
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Damn, these rumors are getting irritating.

Would you take Peter back/forgive him/fully accept him if Colorado traded for him?

Breck Bronc
11-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Would you take Peter back/forgive him/fully accept him if Colorado traded for him?In a nanosecond (as long as it only took Skrastins and draft picks/non-NHL prospects).

Clockwork Orange
11-27-2006, 03:15 AM
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/11/26/2501946-sun.html

TAMPA, FLA. -- Many teams will be looking to take a Flyer at this year's NHL trade deadline.

Injury-prone centre Peter Forsberg has insisted publicly he doesn't want to be traded, but it's believed he wouldn't balk if the club decided to deal him.

A potential unrestricted free agent in July, Forsberg, 33, has a no-trade clause in his contract.

But, as a high-profile agent noted last week, if the team continues to produce way below expectations -- they are currently worst in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-2-1 -- asking Forsberg to waive his no-trade clause likely wouldn't be difficult.

The Swede, who twice won Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche, surely doesn't want to be part of a Flyers program which is essentially rebuilding.

The Avalanche, it is believed, wouldn't mind bringing him back to help take some of the pressure off captain Joe Sakic.

The word is that Colorado is dangling defenceman Karlis Skrastins as part of a package.

Sure, Forsberg has been saying the right things publicly, but when the Flyers go to talk contract in January, is he really going to want to stay there if the club has no shot at making the post-season?

Doubtful.

Forsberg has been troubled by chronic ankle problems, but many nights when he's hurting he's still better than a lot of guys who are playing at 100%.

Which is another good reason why he is going to be a valuable commodity at the trade deadline -- if not before -- on Feb. 27.

This is all just the writer's (and I use that term very loosely since this is Garrioch) speculation. I'll believe that Forsberg's going to be traded when it happens.

Clockwork Orange
11-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Would you take Peter back/forgive him/fully accept him if Colorado traded for him?

There's nothing to forgive as far as I'm concerned. If he came back I'd be thrilled to see him wearing an Avs uniform again. It'd be nice to see him finish his career here, though I'm very skeptical about it happening.

Mtbrncofn
11-27-2006, 01:22 PM

If we got away with not letting Liles or someone young go, maybe. I'd love to see him back, I just don't want to lose someone young and promising to get him. Half the rumors say he's traded, the other half say he's going to be forced to retire.

That'd be the Avs luck, get him back and two weeks later he announces he's retiring.

24champ
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
TSN Breaking News:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have moved their surplus goalie. Sources tell TSN that Michael Tellqvist has been traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for forward Tyson Nash and a draft pick. Another source suggested there may be a minor-league player from Toronto accompanying Tellqvist to Phoenix, but that the Coyotes are looking for Tellqvist to shore up their inconsistent netminding.

http://www.tsn.ca/

alkemical
11-28-2006, 02:58 PM
good move for the yotes

broncocalijohn
11-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Ducks pull goalie and score with 16 seconds left (Getzlap) to tie. In a unbelievable move, the Ducks actually win in overtime. Take 2 points from Oilers and spoil there hatred for Pronger and his return. This team hasnt won a regular season game in Edmonton since 1999. Destiny.

Breck Bronc
11-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Ducks pull goalie and score with 16 seconds left (Getzlap) to tie. In a unbelievable move, the Ducks actually win in overtime. Take 2 points from Oilers and spoil there hatred for Pronger and his return. This team hasnt won a regular season game in Edmonton since 1999. Destiny.Only 1 point, unfortunately.

broncocalijohn
11-29-2006, 04:12 PM
no, we got 2 points and oilers got one.

Bronx33
11-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Dec. 1 - Signing deadline for Group 2 free agents.

Peter Budaj, (II) Colorado July 13, 06
Riku Hahl, (II) Timra, SWE May 9, 06
Jeff Finger, (II) Colorado July 12, 06
Vitaly Kolesnik, (II) Khimik, RUS July 6, 06
John-Michael Liles, (II) Colorado July 12, 06
Cody McCormick, (II) Colorado July 13, 06
Brett McLean, (II) Colorado August 4, 06
Kurt Sauer, (II) Colorado July 11, 06
Marek Svatos, (II) Colorado Sept 5, 06
Ossi Vaananen, (II) Colorado June 27, 06

http://www.geocities.com/floridapanthers2000/free2006.html

Breck Bronc
11-30-2006, 02:09 AM
no, we got 2 points and oilers got one.You said "took two points from the Oilers" so I thought you meant Edmonton lost in regulation after leading all game and had two points taken from them, which would have helped the Avs out.

alkemical
11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Beware the penguins