PDA

View Full Version : MLB playoff thread

24champ
10-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Hope the Dodgers kick some arse! LB52 congrats on the NL West title.

My picks for the playoffs-

Padres over Cardinals in 3
Dodgers over Mets in 4

Yankees over Tigers in 5
Twins over A's in 3

BritBronco Maniac
10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I give the NL no chance in the WS.

I'm thinking about having a bet on the Yankees at 2/1, but the Twins are also a fair price at 5/1.
The Yankees hitting looks unstoppable, but I keep hearing the 'pitching wins championships' cliche in the back of my head.

Breck Bronc
10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Since none of my teams made it (Rockies/Marlins) I'll be rooting for Oakland and Frank Thomas. They've lost in game 5 of the division series in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003. I'd like to see them advance to the World Series for the first time since 1990, though I doubt they can get past the Twins.

I'm also hoping Alex Rodriguez has a big postseason to shut up all the unclutch crap.

Clockwork Orange
10-02-2006, 06:41 PM
I'll be rooting for the Cardinals, as always. I don't have a ton of faith in the squad since the pitching staff, aside from Chris Carpenter, is a mess and the team went into such a tailspin at the end of the season.

Pendejo
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I'll be rooting for the Cardinals, as always. I don't have a ton of faith in the squad since the pitching staff, aside from Chris Carpenter, is a mess and the team went into such a tailspin at the end of the season.

It should be a good series. I went to a couple of games when the birds came in to PetCo. It was a crazy series featuring 4 of the longest homeruns in PetCo's history (Piazza, Bard, Bellhorn, Pujols [A monster blast].) Peavy got a win after getting shalacked, and the Cardinals were able to avoid the sweep when Brian Giles was picked off of first base in the bottom of the 9th inning of game two of the series...killing what would become a staple of SD's season...a rally.

Overall the Madres were 4-2 against the cardinals this season, and hopefully they can give the birds back a little of what they got in the playoffs last year...a beating.

The Madres outscored St. Louis by a count of 38-24 during their season series.

phillybroncosnut
10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Anybody but the Mets and Cards and I'll be happy.

Ideally, I'm pulling for a Padres/Twins series.

SoCalBronco
10-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Anyone but the Dodgers.

24champ
10-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Anyone but the Dodgers.

notsofast

WABronco
10-03-2006, 02:34 AM
GO TWINS! SLAY THE GIANT! I was actually kind of bummed that Minne won the division--I wanted a MINN-NY matchup from the start.

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Padres, Dodgers, Twins, Tigers

World Series: Twins vs. Padres

BTW, I got work off tomorrow and I am headed to the Chris Carpenter/Jake Peavy pitching duel at Petco!

WABronco
10-03-2006, 02:37 AM
...also, I just can't bring myself to root for SD as they are the HATED interleague rivals of the M's!

(joking)

The local media always plays that up before interleague starts...

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2006, 02:46 AM
...also, I just can't bring myself to root for SD as they are the HATED interleague rivals of the M's!

(joking)

The local media always plays that up before interleague starts...

Peoria is our turf. You are the inferior tenants of our spring training complex. Rent is due! :D

Congrats on the Orange Mane baseball title. I feel like the 1954 Indians. You kicked my ass three times this season. Well deserved.

-Slap-
10-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Padres, Dodgers, Twins, Tigers

World Series: Twins vs. Padres

BTW, I got work off tomorrow and I am headed to the Chris Carpenter/Jake Peavy pitching duel at Petco!

That rules, man!

:thumbsup:

WABronco
10-03-2006, 03:10 AM
Peoria is our turf. You are the inferior tenants of our spring training complex. Rent is due! :D

Ha...ha...ha...

Peoria (or ST in general) is where Beltre plays his best ball. We have to get something out of him, ya know. Although, he was pretty darn solid outside of April...

Congrats on the Orange Mane baseball title. I feel like the 1954 Indians. You kicked my ass three times this season. Well deserved.

Thank you sir...thank you.:thanku:

On a serious note, I guess I will sorta pull for SD. Cammy's the man...

24champ
10-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Ha...ha...ha...

Peoria (or ST in general) is where Beltre plays his best ball. We have to get something out of him, ya know. Although, he was pretty darn solid outside of April...

Thank you sir...thank you.:thanku:

Yeah congrats WAB you steamrolled right through the playoffs. You just caught me on a bad week...Ha!

Bronco LB 59
10-03-2006, 05:18 AM

Cameron is my vote for Padres MVP this season. He's been one of the most underappreciated players in the game for quite some time. It's too bad he's spent his prime seasons in pitchers parks.

Jens1893
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
As win Game 1 thanks to 2 Frank Thomas homers.

DenverSportsFan4
10-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I just hope the Tigers beat the Yankees... I hope they never win another WS.

Clockwork Orange
10-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Cardinals got the game they absolutely had to have if they're going to have any chance in this series.

Pendejo
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Cardinals got the game they absolutely had to have if they're going to have any chance in this series.

Carpenter was great today. Peavy made a mistake to Pujols, and that was pretty much it.

The Madres struggled to plate guys in scoring position with 1 or no outs...which is something they've had problems with for the past three years.

The worst part of the game for me was watching Mark "I know 1,003 ways to whiff" Bellhorn come up to the plate with the bases juiced and one out. At that point Bochy might as well have conceded the out. That guy's a bum. I don't know what he's even doing on the playoff roster. Obviously Todd Walker had a shot after him, and failed (although he did actually touch the ball with his bat)...but I just don't get why Bellhorn's allowed up there swinging 3 feet over a pitch in the playoffs.

A good win for the Birds today...we'll see if the Madres can come back and jump on Jeff Weaver on Thursday.

24champ
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I just feel bad LB52 had to watch that crap in person...

WABronco
10-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Yea...Pujols=MVP

Poor Piazza. If he catches that foul pop the game certainly comes out differently. Didn't he do that against SF and Barry Bonds earlier this year?

WABronco
10-03-2006, 10:48 PM
The worst part of the game for me was watching Mark "I know 1,003 ways to whiff" Bellhorn come up to the plate with the bases juiced and one out. At that point Bochy might as well have conceded the out. That guy's a bum. I don't know what he's even doing on the playoff roster. Obviously Todd Walker had a shot after him, and failed (although he did actually touch the ball with his bat)...but I just don't get why Bellhorn's allowed up there swinging 3 feet over a pitch in the playoffs.

Hahahaha, no doubt!

Bellhorn is such a scrub. I remember a Seattle/Boston series a few years ago...he must've struck out 20 times over a 3 game series.

Pendejo
10-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Yea...Pujols=MVP

Poor Piazza. If he catches that foul pop the game certainly comes out differently. Didn't he do that against SF and Barry Bonds earlier this year?

Apparently the ball nicked the top of the screen on the way down...changing it's trajectory. The head on ESPN claimed to have been sitting right behind the screen, and also said that he heard it.

Funny...I went to the Cardinals/Madres series in May...and in that game St. Louis' catcher dropped Piazza's foul ball. Mike promptly sent the next offering something like 440 feet.

24champ
10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061003&content_id=1697637&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

****!

WABronco
10-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Apparently the ball nicked the top of the screen on the way down...changing it's trajectory. The head on ESPN claimed to have been sitting right behind the screen, and also said that he heard it.

It did look a little odd coming down...

WABronco
10-04-2006, 01:35 AM
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061003&content_id=1697637&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

****!

Mark Hendrickson baby...

Is he the only lefty you've got left?

24champ
10-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Mark Hendrickson baby...

Is he the only lefty you've got left?

We have Stultz for the Bullpen and Kuo starts game 3. Beimel might still get to play, the doctors need to find a way to stop the bleeding. He will test it out tommorow before Grady turns in the roster for this series.

Bronco LB 59
10-04-2006, 02:21 AM

That's what I was thinking! I have been defending Towers and Bochy all season long, but their decison to put Bellhorn on the roster is indefensible.

Furthermore, Chris Young has been their best starter all season long and he won't be going until Game 3. They need him twice in this series and he's only going once.

Bronco LB 59
10-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I like David Wells as much as anybody, but Woody Williams and Clay Hensley have been pitching just as well if not better. Does postseason experience really outweigh all the negatives with going a beat up 43 year old who relies on a lot of luck to record outs?

Pendejo
10-04-2006, 02:50 AM
That's what I was thinking! I have been defending Towers and Bochy all season long, but their decison to put Bellhorn on the roster is indefensible.

Furthermore, Chris Young has been their best starter all season long and he won't be going until Game 3. They need him twice in this series and he's only going once.

Bochy favors veterans...we all know that. Wells was their "name" acquisition this year, so I'm not surprised that they decided to go with him. I think the Madres are counting on Wells living up to his rep as a big game pitcher.

It won't matter who they put up on the hill though...unless they can figure out a way to score runs when they have men in scoring position with one or nobody out. They had a lot of chances to get back in the game today, and they couldn't do it.

Bronco LB 59
10-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Pictures from today's game

Just before he went deep

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals042.jpg

The only Padre who showed up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals061.jpg

Cy Carpenter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals016.jpg

Future Cooperstown teammates

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals032.jpg

Just for WABronco

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals053.jpg

Rough game, I still love you Jake

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals040.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals059.jpg

24champ
10-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Nice pics LB52. rep.

WABronco
10-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Bochy favors veterans...we all know that.

Old school guys like that drive me NUTS...

Bronco LB 59
10-04-2006, 03:16 AM
Bochy favors veterans...we all know that. Wells was their "name" acquisition this year, so I'm not surprised that they decided to go with him. I think the Madres are counting on Wells living up to his rep as a big game pitcher.

It won't matter who they put up on the hill though...unless they can figure out a way to score runs when they have men in scoring position with one or nobody out. They had a lot of chances to get back in the game today, and they couldn't do it.

It's unfortunate. I don't like the fact Bochy and Towers are putting all their money on Wells. He moaned and b****ed his way out of Boston and got his way to play back in his hometown. He doesn't have anything to lose since he's going to retire happily with two rings. Why put the entire season on him? They worked too hard to get here. Chris Young got the team here, send him out there.

I'm glad Carpenter is out of the way. He's a tough one to beat. With Jeff Weaver and Jeff Suppan scheduled next, there will be no more excuses.

WABronco
10-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Just for WABronco

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/NLDSPadresCardinals053.jpg

Awwwwwww...thanks LB 52!Hilarious!

I was so bummed when we let him go to NY...cheap ass FO. We tried to "replace" him with Randy Winn...RANDY WINN. Man that hurts.

I'm actually searching for a video of his 4 HR game against Chicago back in '02. That was insane!

SouthStndJunkie
10-05-2006, 03:36 PM
My Tigers beat the Yankees today.

That was huge to take a game in New York.

I have tickets in hand for game four in Detroit on Saturday.

JCMElway
10-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Way to go Sthstand. I think you and I are the only Tiger fans on the board.

Go get 'em Gambler!

24champ
10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Dodgers played like absolute **** tonight. No heart, no grit, ****ing team had no sense of urgency tonight and it showed. Also the plate umpire is a ****ing joke too, calling strikes all over the ****ing place.

SouthStndJunkie
10-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Way to go Sthstand. I think you and I are the only Tiger fans on the board.

Go get 'em Gambler!

Dipso is a Tigers fan as well.

It is going to be electric in Comerica on Friday and Saturday.

WABronco
10-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey,

You guys should trade Guillen back to Seattle. We'll give you Willie Bloomquist and some salmon.

(what a wonderful trade that was in the first place)

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey,

You guys should trade Guillen back to Seattle. We'll give you Willie Bloomquist and some salmon.

(what a wonderful trade that was in the first place)

Carlos has been great for the Tigers. Solid bat....and very clutch. The big thing with Carlos is just keeping him healthy. He played in 153 games this year and was one of the major reasons for the success of the team.

Bronco LB 59
10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
The most entertaining part of yesterday's game was watching San Diego area prep star Joel Zumaya blow away the Yankees with his triple digits fastball.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
The most entertaining part of yesterday's game was watching San Diego area prep star Joel Zumaya blow away the Yankees with his triple digits fastball.

Zoom is a bad man.

Jens1893
10-06-2006, 05:06 PM
The home team has finally won a game at the Oakland Coliseum!

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
The Tigers beating the Yankees 5-0 after 6 innings!

-Slap-
10-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Kenny Rogers with an all time gut check performance tonight.

WABronco
10-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Wooo go Kenny!

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Granderson goes yard!

6-0 Tigers!

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Kenny Rogers with an all time gut check performance tonight.

No doubt.....props to Kenny tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Got some serious goose bumps for Kenny's standing ovation.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
That was quite an impressive outing against that lineup.

Kenny chased his postseason demons away tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Tigers win 6-0!

Take a 2-1 lead in the series.

I will be at the game on Saturday.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2006, 09:22 PM
It was awesome to hear the great Ernie Harwell on ESPN tonight. He spent a couple of innings in the booth.

I hope I sound as good as he does when/if I get to 88.

WABronco
10-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Did anyone else see Rogers throwing 94 tonight?

Bronco LB 59
10-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks to Chris Young, the Padres stay alive. The offense is going to need to show up though if they expect to comeback to take the series.

Magglio just went deep! Tigers 1-0. I like their chances with Bonderman today. I can't believe the Yankees are depending on Jaret Wright in an elimination game.

24champ
10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
A-Rod SUCKS! .091 Batting Average in this series? I never seen a player play as bad as him. Wonder if he is just tanking it so he can leave New York? At any rate its gonna be fun reading the New York papers tommorow to pile on A-Rod.

24champ
10-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Dodgers played OK, I have issues with how the plate ump called the game but that isnt an excuse for why the Dodgers lost.

JD Drew you can take a ****ing hike. Im done with your sorry play.

Tomko you can follow Drew out too, check the baserunner you dumbass, man!

Grady Little, why did you let Maddux bat in the 4th inning? (sighs)

Anyway should be an interesting off-season. Nomar is probably gone since Loney took his job tonight.

24champ
10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Go **** yourself San Diego.

http://www.mtv.com/news/moviehouse/photos/anchorman_040624/flip-b.jpg

Pendejo
10-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Go **** yourself San Diego.

http://www.mtv.com/news/moviehouse/photos/anchorman_040624/flip-b.jpg

Hah!

The Madre's consistent lack of clutch hitting really did them in.

How'd the Dahyers and their bloated payroll fare? Three and out?

24champ
10-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Hah!

The Madre's consistent lack of clutch hitting really did them in.

How'd the Dahyers and their bloated payroll fare? Three and out?

LOL that was meant for LB52, giving him some sht.

16slayer24
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
gooo CARDS!!!!!!!!!!

SouthStndJunkie
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
The Tigers are right back to kicking some butt.

5-0 over Oakland in the 4th

SouthStndJunkie
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
They just knocked Zito out of the game.