PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees is the bomb.

Kaylore
09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm re-watching the Saints game, and I can't tell you guys how stupid the Chargers FO is. Brees is accurate, makes good throws and is quite athletic. I still think they sent the wrong QB packing.

I think Brees will do more to help turn the Saints around than any other acquisition they had last offseason, but because he came the same year as Bush, Bush will get the credit.

Anyway, just thought I throw props to a very good QB who had a very good game.

Jason in LA
09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm going to wait and see what Rivers can do before I'll say which QB they should have kept, but I know that if they were planning on going with Rivers, which they were, they should have tried to trade Breez. Going with Rivers and getting something for Breez would be a lot smarter than going with Rivers and getting nothing for Breez.

Breck Bronc
09-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I think Brees will do more to help turn the Saints around than any other acquisition they had last offseason, but because he came the same year as Bush, Bush will get the credit.Deuce McCallister also looks pretty good a year after his knee injury. I'd rather watch him run hard between the tackles than Reggie Bush make a beeline for the sideline.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm re-watching the Saints game, and I can't tell you guys how stupid the Chargers FO is. Brees is accurate, makes good throws and is quite athletic. I still think they sent the wrong QB packing.

I think Brees will do more to help turn the Saints around than any other acquisition they had last offseason, but because he came the same year as Bush, Bush will get the credit.

It would have been nice to keep Drew but he wanted 10 million guaranteed! It was too risky a move especially considering what happened to Pennington the previous season. AJ decided to go with the safe decision and I think he did the right thing. I just think Drew has too many limitations as a quarterback. He was too short and had to rely on his receivers running the right route in order to hit them. Did you know what he did during the summer of 2005? He practiced hitting his targets blindfolded. Freaky blindfolded!!! That's nice and all when you face horrendous teams like the Raiders and Bills, but when you face good defenses like the Steelers and Broncos, they're going to disrupt the passing pattern and you're going to suffer.
Another knock on Drew was his arm strength. No one is afraid of his arm. You think Jake has problems with the deep pass, you should take some time to look at Drew. If you look at most of the Chargers game with Drew, we rarely pass over 20 yards. Once we do try the deep ball, Drew's ball would always float and end up over/underthrown. The rare instances that he does connect with his receivers, they have to slow down to catch it ie. the 2005 Colts game and the 2004 Bucanneer game. I'm not saying Rivers' arm is that great either, but at least he can throw an accurate pass that goes farther than 20 yards and can hit his receivers in stride.
Another thing is that we saved a lot of money in the cap when we didn't sign Drew. Thus, we were able to sign important core guys like Hardwick, Olivea, Kaeding, and Jammer to long term deals without having to worry about cap issues. Keeping most of your core guys, especially when it comes to the O-line, is key to success in the NFL. Here's to hoping we lock up Dielman (our left guard) as well.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm going to wait and see what Rivers can do before I'll say which QB they should have kept, but I know that if they were planning on going with Rivers, which they were, they should have tried to trade Breez. Going with Rivers and getting something for Breez would be a lot smarter than going with Rivers and getting nothing for Breez.

How could they have traded Brees without first signing him to a deal? It was his final year as a Charger under the franchise tag.

watermock
09-26-2006, 10:36 PM
What you don't understand is they couldn't pay both QB's mega money. Brees had zero cap implications.

New Orleans fell into a gold mine with Brees and Reggie Bush. They shouldn't of traded Stallworth tho.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
What you don't understand is they couldn't pay both QB's mega money. Brees had zero cap implications.

New Orleans fell into a gold mine with Brees and Reggie Bush. They shouldn't of traded Stallworth tho.

Stallworth apparently didn't want to be in NO, otherwise he wouldn't have been traded. Oh well, Colston is doing just fine there.

Kaylore
09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
It would have been nice to keep Drew but he wanted 10 million guaranteed! It was too risky a move especially considering what happened to Pennington the previous season.
How much money did you give to Rivers who is unproven again? You want to talk about risky? Brees gets that deal if you guys didn't sign Rivers.

At least with Brees he was a gamer and you knew what you were getting. Not to mention his players love him. I'd take the word of LT over your GM. I guess if Rivers turns out to be great, then it's all justified, but he hasn't wowed anyone yet.

watermock
09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
SD would of been paying about 20 percent of it's cap on QB's. Fact is they could trade Brees without a cap hit. They caught a second and NO got their QB.

rubaiyat
09-26-2006, 10:45 PM

I think ESPN's Bill Simmons made a similar note. That Ryan Leaf is the biggest draft bust. Not for sucking on his own..but for destroying a franchise.

For wasting the best years of LT by making their FO so skittish they drafted P Rivers, and not waiting for Brees...then getting stuck with that decision and sending Brees packing...only to have make LT muck through a couple years of growing pains.

Popps
09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I remember watching Brees live in San Diego against us in a late season game. We lost a heart-wrencher, and Brees made some real key plays down the stretch. I remember thinking the kid had a little something more than your average QB. He's really turned out to be a nice player.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
How much money did you give to Rivers who is unproven again? You want to talk about risky? Brees gets that deal if you guys didn't sign Rivers.
We signed Rivers in the first place because Brees was horrible in 2003. After that signing, he got better because of the competition. This is just like the Cutler situation with you guys, except that Rivers actually had the benefit of sitting for two years. Whether Cutler sits this year or not, depends entirely on Jake's performance, just like it depended on Drew's.At least with Brees he was a gamer and you knew what you were getting. Not to mention his players love him. I'd take the word of LT over your GM.
Yes, I know what we got with Brees, just like many people here know what they got with Jake, and feel like they can never win a championship with him. It's the same for certain Chargers fans when it comes to Drew. We don't think that we can win the big one with him. Anyways, LT and all the players have accepted Rivers now. They may not love him as much as Brees yet, but he has won them over. That's the type of person that Rivers is though. Even during the two years where he never got a chance to start a game, he was still nice enough to not attempt any type of media controversy. The fact that Rivers and Brees are still friends after everything that's happened should tell you something more about Rivers.
I guess if Rivers turns out to be great, then it's all justified, but he hasn't wowed anyone yet.
Of course not. He's been sitting on the bench for two years. There are glimpses of possible things to come like that 38 yard laser pass to Eric Parker against the Raiders, plus his game against the Titans. The real test is when he has to face a really good defense in the Ravens and Steelers. I think he'll do quite well. He'll make mistakes just like Drew did, but he'll bounce back stronger than ever.
Oh and another thing. Drew's record against playoff opponents in 2004 (his best year) was 1-4 (W-L). While in 2005, it was only 4-4. He becomes more mistake prone when he has to take on stronger defenses. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Heck, you guys could be our mirror opposite from two years ago.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I remember watching Brees live in San Diego against us in a late season game. We lost a heart-wrencher, and Brees made some real key plays down the stretch. I remember thinking the kid had a little something more than your average QB. He's really turned out to be a nice player.

He played horrible in that game. Almost as bad as Plummer did. Heck, he almost cost us the game with that fumble at the end.

That being said, he was a great guy. I don't think I've ever met a nicer football player. Haven't met Rivers in person yet though. I hope him all the best, but unless NO brings that level of emotion to every game they play this year, I can't see them doing much better than 8-8. Of course, with the way the Bucs and Panthers are playing, they just might have a chance. Too problems with the O-Line and their defense needs more help.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 10:57 PM
SD would of been paying about 20 percent of it's cap on QB's. Fact is they could trade Brees without a cap hit. They caught a second and NO got their QB.

Dude, what's up with that PM? Just watch Veronica Mars if you like the Kitty.

rubaiyat
09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Stallworth apparently didn't want to be in NO, otherwise he wouldn't have been traded. Oh well, Colston is doing just fine there.

Too true, though he might have needed a change in scenery.

But that offense with Bush a WR/RB, Horn used as a decoy, Stallworth deep, and Colston being a WR/TE...

That's pretty formidable. Throw in Deuce and you have a pretty multifaceted attack with 3 WR sets.

Tredici
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
He was too short and had to rely on his receivers running the right route in order to hit them

I see the point now. It's better to have QB who can check off to receivers running around willynilly.

I take the rest of your obversations without much problem. But the above statement was silly. A QB should absolutely expect his receivers to run the right route. If they don't, any bad result should lie on them as they didn't execute.

Tredici
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM

He was traded because NO felt they were in need of a linebacker and Philly was in need of a WO.

Stallworth had nothing to do with requesting a move.

BroncoBuff
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM

Yeah, he's pretty awesome ... but what's a brother gonna do?

He had a bad shoulder - and you've already paid and groomed foir two years - a very high 1st round rfanchise QB pick (who looks pretty damn good too imo)

They were stuck. Next year it could happen to us, too. Plummer could go to - say - the Jets or somebody, and rack up some quick victories.

Jake's no Drew Brees ... but you get my meaning.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 11:12 PM
I see the point now. It's better to have QB who can check off to receivers running around willynilly.

I take the rest of your obversations without much problem. But the above statement was silly. A QB should absolutely expect his receivers to run the right route. If they don't, any bad result should lie on them as they didn't execute.

I think I didn't phrase it right. If he can't see the receiver, what happens if the receiver runs the wrong route or has his pattern disrupted? The QB has to be able to check his second and third options immediately. Not wait while the lanes clear so that he can get a good view of what's happening.

Also, it's kinda hard to throw slants if it takes more than 3 steps in order to pass.

Xenos
09-26-2006, 11:17 PM
This is strange. Bronco fans praising a former Chargers player, while a Chargers fan is criticizing him.

maven
09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm re-watching the Saints game, and I can't tell you guys how stupid the Chargers FO is.

Way too early saying that. Chargers have put up a lot of points in their two games. I would've made the same decision as the FO. Brees was coming off of shoulder surgery and commanded big bucks. You have a younger player on the bench itching to play. Who knows how it will turn out, but Rivers has surprised me by his play so far.

Kaylore
09-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Way too early saying that. Chargers have put up a lot of points in their two games. I would've made the same decision as the FO. Brees was coming off of shoulder surgery and commanded big bucks. You have a younger player on the bench itching to play. Who knows how it will turn out, but Rivers has surprised me by his play so far.

I watched the entire Raider game and he made some nice throws. He also hardly threw, was playing wth a huge lead against a young defensive backfield against a horrible team. He has LT, Gates and that deadly defense to prop him up. He doesn't have many excuses.

CoBear23
09-27-2006, 12:16 AM

That decision will come back an haunt the Chargers. I'm very happy for Drew he proved his worth and found a franchise that he can be a big part of turning around. I always wanted to cheer for Drew because he's a fellow Sigma Chi so I'm very glad hes out of the AFC west.

Crushaholic
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
I still have a very hard time thinking about the Saints as one of the better teams in NFC. However, the additions of Drew Brees and Reggie Bush have made this team thrive like it hasn't for a long time...

maven
09-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I watched the entire Raider game and he made some nice throws. He also hardly threw, was playing wth a huge lead against a young defensive backfield against a horrible team. He has LT, Gates and that deadly defense to prop him up. He doesn't have many excuses.

So did I watch the same game. And so did Brees have the same weapons. They are 2-0 for what it's worth. You can't blame the charger FO for going with Rivers who is younger, bigger, healthy, and already is playing under a contract. Brees was coming off of torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. That's a huge gamble to pay big bucks to, especially his throwing shoulder. Brees, in general, still has problem making some passes with zip(pre-injury) IMO. And this is also Brees 5th surgery regarding football.

Northman
09-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Yea, Brees was a huge pickup for that franchise. He is more important at this point than Reggie Bush.

-Slap-
09-27-2006, 05:40 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1201732&postcount=5

07-29-2006, 09:01 PM #5
-Slap-
60 Minute Man

B R O N C O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for Reggie and good for the Saints. I think the addition of Bush and Drew Brees might make them the most improved team in football next season.

dbroncos78087
09-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Drew is the bomb, and hes my FF starting QB (not a bad pick for the 6th round).

Requiem
09-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Marques Colston is the Brandon Marshall we're all looking for. . .

BroncoInferno
09-27-2006, 07:32 AM
To be fair, I think the Chargers had to draft a QB that year. Nothing about Brees up to that point suggested the kind of turnaround he would make. Once they invested all that money in Rivers, there was just no way to get rid of him without wrecking their cap.

With that said, I think Rivers is going to be a fine QB. I always loved the way he played at NC State. He has all the intangibles you look for in a QB, and his football instincts are extremely rare. His phyicals attributes are so-so, but I don't think SD will regret letting Brees go.

Basileus777
09-27-2006, 08:10 AM
How could they have traded Brees without first signing him to a deal? It was his final year as a Charger under the franchise tag.

Same way the Jets traded Abraham, franchise him again and then trade him.

Billy Clyde Puckett
09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Marques Colston is the Brandon Marshall we're all looking for. . .

Absolutely correct. Hope Marshall is able to show that kind of talent.

Requiem
09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Absolutely correct. Hope Marshall is able to show that kind of talent.

I think in camps he has shown he has that ability, he just needs to progress and we need to get him the ball. He looked pretty good blocking in at the end of the game, glad to see he's getting some action. Nothing wrong with bringing along a guy slowly though. I think he'll be a force in the future.

boltaneer
09-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Same way the Jets traded Abraham, franchise him again and then trade him.

There's only one problem with that and that was the Saints were the only one interested in Brees after Miami dropped out.

That's a big risk to take for probably a third round pick (since Culpepper went for a second and was the bigger name). The Chargers will most likely get a third round compensatory pick for Brees so I don't think they'll miss out on much for not taking the risk of doing the franchise-trade deal, especially if the Saints keep winning and get a low draft pick.

Billy Clyde Puckett
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I think in camps he has shown he has that ability, he just needs to progress and we need to get him the ball. He looked pretty good blocking in at the end of the game, glad to see he's getting some action. Nothing wrong with bringing along a guy slowly though. I think he'll be a force in the future.

He sure looks to have the physical tools. Guess it is just a matter of getting the wheels between the ears working correctly.

Xenos
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM

He threw 35 times in the Titans game and made 25 completions. The Ravens game should be more balanced with the run and pass, though with the weather forecast saying it might windy and rainy, both teams might gear towards the run more.

DeusExManning
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM

They got a fairly good run stuffer in Simeneau and Colston has filled in well for Stallworth.

Kaylore
09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
He threw 35 times in the Titans game and made 25 completions. The Ravens game should be more balanced with the run and pass, though with the weather forecast saying it might windy and rainy, both teams might gear towards the run more.

Yes, this will be a test. I'm still not sold on the Ravens interior line, but we'll see. Anyone facing LT is going to have to step up.

freak6
09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Drew Brees vs Jake Plummer ??

Xenos
09-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes, this will be a test. I'm still not sold on the Ravens interior line, but we'll see. Anyone facing LT is going to have to step up.

See that's the thing, Brees never played well against good defense either. Like I said, he was 1-4 in 2004 against playoff teams and 4-4 in 2005 against playoff teams. Even the wins were games where he had problems like the one against the Redskins. If Rivers can step it up against a dominant defense in the Ravens and Steelers then he will be better than Brees IMO.

Xenos
09-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Drew Brees vs Jake Plummer ??

Plummer simply because he can throw a ball with some zip pass 20 yards and he can actually see the entire field.

Though, I don't think he gets too frustrated too easily especially with regards to his temper.

NOLA Bronco
09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Brees is the best QB here since Bobby Hebert. Colston is already better than Stallworth ever was here. Stallworth was Lelie in gold and with worse hands. No one here was sad when he left. He has had 2 good games in Philly, but no one should forget how many mistakes he had in Nola...

Xenos
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2006-09-27-chargers-cover_x.htm?csp=34

There you go Kaylore. This article gives a little more insight into Rivers, as well as provide details about what LT, Gates, and some of his other teammates think about him (since you don't trust the Chargers' FO). There's a reason why people think he's going to be special for our team. Just like there's a reason why people here think Cutler is special.

azbroncfan
02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Plummer simply because he can throw a ball with some zip pass 20 yards and he can actually see the entire field.

Though, I don't think he gets too frustrated too easily especially with regards to his temper.

Hate post of the Omane history.

Xenos
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Hate post of the Omane history.
I'm glad I was wrong then. And I meant to say "do", not "don't" with regards to Plummer.

But seriously, that injury turned out to be the best thing for Brees. He had a weak arm when he was with us and it was true what I said about him having problems throwing more than 20 yards with accuracy. The injury forced him to retrain it and make it stronger. Plus he now has a coach that would let him air it out more instead of play second fiddle to LT.

Bigdawg26
02-09-2010, 09:11 PM
There's only one problem with that and that was the Saints were the only one interested in Brees after Miami dropped out.

That's a big risk to take for probably a third round pick (since Culpepper went for a second and was the bigger name). The Chargers will most likely get a third round compensatory pick for Brees so I don't think they'll miss out on much for not taking the risk of doing the franchise-trade deal, especially if the Saints keep winning and get a low draft pick.

That's not entirely true. The saints wanted him all along, but Brees first choice was Miami, but the doctors in Miami did not feel his arm was worth the money he wanted. So he came to New Orleans because Sean Payton was the only person that believed in him (Trust me I know I live in New Orleans and you hear this story a million times). As far as Brees in San Diego, Brees was not that good in his first years in San Diego (Remember Doug Flutie took over for him numerous times) which is why they Drafted Philip Rivers. It was not until Rivers was drafted that Brees put it all together, and his injury was an excellent way to put Rivers over Brees. And by the way Brees it 100 folds better than Plummer, Griese, or Orton (which doesn't take much) on a good year!

broncosteven
02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I was at the Bronco's Saints game in 2008 and Brees was slinging it all over the field. I think Bush had a fumble mid game that hurt them and the missed FG at the end didn't help but it was a shootout.

go_broncos
02-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Kaylore..you are genius..:thumbsup:

misturanderson
02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I was at the Bronco's Saints game in 2008 and Brees was slinging it all over the field. I think Bush had a fumble mid game that hurt them and the missed FG at the end didn't help but it was a shootout.

I think there were at least 2 missed FGs that were easily makeable.

UberBroncoMan
02-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I think there were at least 2 missed FGs that were easily makeable.

The "game winner" of which we jumped off-sides for and were not called.

jhns
02-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Brees is top 3 now. The chargirls still made the right choice, and one that any team would have made, at the time.

Anyways, on to the more important issue. Who says stuff is the bomb? Welcome to the 90s valley girl rebirth.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Brees is top 3 now. The chargirls still made the right choice, and one that any team would have made, at the time.

Anyways, on to the more important issue. Who says stuff is the bomb? Welcome to the 90s valley girl rebirth.

we still say stuff like "hella" and "bomb" here in CA

bendog
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
having seen Brees before and after his injury, I don't think it's accurate to say "he retrained his arm and made it stronger." In fact, I suspect that medically that would be impossible to do. His arm strength has always been marginal. He doesn't show the diminished strength that Den fans had to watch SOB go through. His rehabilitation and continued success are probably due as much to his work ethic than Dr. Andrews.

Brees couldn't succeed in Norv's offense. Payton's scheme gives him up to five reads that he makes in a five step drop and then he delivers it. That's pretty close to what Shanny was doing the year after that horrible year when TD went down. Payton's scheme works to Brees' strengths, and that's probably why Payton wanted him. Brees can still load it up and throw 50 yds downfileld if the safeties come up, but he takes a little half step forward to get the momentum, and his passing delivery for the long ball is ... long. SOB didn't make the fast reads that Brees does, and his teammates pretty much despised him. Brees is almost a point guard. (and that last analogy is not original, I heard it on some pregame or something a couple of years ago)

Could Rivers work as well in Payton's scheme? I really don't know. Not to diss him, but I've no idea what his preparation and work ethic are like, nor do I know how well he interacts with his team.

oubronco
02-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Good call

bendog
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Not that I'm gushing about Den's personnel moves, but does it strike anyone as amusing that SD has now seen Smith trade TWO quarterbacks who went on to win Lombardis? LOL

sixtimeseight
02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
yea, it's hilarious, especially considering the first one refused to play for SD because they're a piece of **** organization.

Traveler
02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
yea, it's hilarious, especially considering the first one refused to play for SD because they're a piece of **** organization.

That happens kick our asses quite regularly. Truth hurts, and while Rivers has yet to reach the ultimate game, he and his organization usually destroy us with regularity over the past several years.

sixtimeseight
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
2-2 over the past 2 seasons is "quite regularly?" Ok champ, whatever you say.

Kaylore
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I approve of this bump. :)

And I miss slap.

Xenos
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Not that I'm gushing about Den's personnel moves, but does it strike anyone as amusing that SD has now seen Smith trade TWO quarterbacks who went on to win Lombardis? LOL
We didn't trade Drew. He was a FA that we offered an incentive laden contract to because of his injury. He went for the more guaranteed money from NO. We did a third round comp pick for him though.

HEAV
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I approve of this bump. :)

And I miss slap.

:haw!:

sixtimeseight
02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
And you used that 3rd round pick to select... Anthony Waters, who just won a Super Bowl ring with the New Orleans Saints.

lulz.

snowspot66
02-10-2010, 01:04 PM
And you used that 3rd round pick to select... Anthony Waters, who just won a Super Bowl ring with the New Orleans Saints.

lulz.

Huh....I think we're doing this draft thing all wrong. We're the only team drafting for us. We need to talk to some other team about drafting for us as well.

boltaneer
02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Are we really arguing about Anthony Waters? Isn't that dude a practice squad/special teamer?

Waters dropped in the draft because of injuries. AJ Smith took a flyer on him but he just get healthy enough. Fortunately, with the development of Dobbins and Siler, it's not a huge loss at all.

It's interesting. Two years ago, the Chargers were stacked at OLB but hurting big time at ILB. Now it's flipped around.

sixtimeseight
02-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Nobody is arguing anything. We are just laughing about how the Chargers unceremoniously dumped the current Super Bowl MVP, and all they got for him also just won a Super Bowl. It's just funny is all. You know, lulz.

boltaneer
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Nobody is arguing anything. We are just laughing about how the Chargers unceremoniously dumped the current Super Bowl MVP, and all they got for him also just won a Super Bowl. It's just funny is all. You know, lulz.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89231

sixtimeseight
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
ok???

boltaneer
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
ok???

Brees got unceremoniously dumped? He was injured and didn't have a contract and turned down the contract the Chargers offered him.

He became a free agent and only two teams out of the entire NFL had interest in him and one passed. New Orleans took a risk and it paid off for them.

Brees is still a popular guy in San Diego. He didn't leave on bad terms and New Orleans is a underdog team that is easy to root for with some other San Diego ties (Reggie Bush). The impression I got from Charger boards were that they were rooting for Brees. And the Charger fans here that I know felt the same way and are happy for him.

I don't understand why "we're" supposed to feel so bad. It would be one thing if Rivers was a bum and was holding the team back but that's not the case. Having Brees still here wouldn't have changed anything.

Just explaining it from a Charger fans point of view. Charger fans are solidly behind Rivers and Brees leaving was just a product of the business side of the NFL.

Xenos
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Brees got unceremoniously dumped? He was injured and didn't have a contract and turned down the contract the Chargers offered him.

He became a free agent and only two teams out of the entire NFL had interest in him and one passed. New Orleans took a risk and it paid off for them.

Brees is still a popular guy in San Diego. He didn't leave on bad terms and New Orleans is a underdog team that is easy to root for with some other San Diego ties (Reggie Bush). The impression I got from Charger boards were that they were rooting for Brees. And the Charger fans here that I know felt the same way and are happy for him.

I don't understand why "we're" supposed to feel so bad. It would be one thing if Rivers was a bum and was holding the team back but that's not the case. Having Brees still here wouldn't have changed anything.

Just explaining it from a Charger fans point of view. Charger fans are solidly behind Rivers and Brees leaving was just a product of the business side of the NFL.
I think that's the thing. If Brees had left and we were stuck with Jamarcus or Cutler as our QB, I'm pretty sure every single SD fans would be outraged. Or if Rivers was actually the reason we lost in the playoffs. But as it is, all this means is that Brees managed to survive the SD curse. If he had stayed instead of Rivers, then Rivers would have been the one with the Superbowl trophy now.

BroncoInferno
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Eh, I don't see how one could say it was a mistake to drop Brees over Rivers. It's easy to make that claim since the Saints just won the Super Bowl, but who knows if the Chargers would have won one with him instead of Rivers. Given Rivers high level of play, it's hard to give serious traction to that claim.

bendog
02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
It's not that Rivers or Brees is better. It's just that if Bowlen had traded TWO qb's who won championships with different teams, I think most Den fans would be screaming. lol

PRBronco
02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Eh, I don't see how one could say it was a mistake to drop Brees over Rivers. It's easy to make that claim since the Saints just won the Super Bowl, but who knows if the Chargers would have won one with him instead of Rivers. Given Rivers high level of play, it's hard to give serious traction to that claim.

My favourite thing to point out is that if they had kept Brees, and hadn't used that pick on Manning, they could have got Larry Fitzgerald :)

BroncoInferno
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM
My favourite thing to point out is that if they had kept Brees, and hadn't used that pick on Manning, they could have got Larry Fitzgerald :)

Yeah, but like I said when the thread was originally posted, when the Chargers initially acquired Rivers Brees had done nothing to that point to suggest the QB he would become. He'd been in the league for three seasons and was coming off a year when he had thrown 11 TDs to 15 INTs. The pick made perfect sense at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

bendog
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
But, shouldn't charger fans be slitting their wrists in bathtubs filled with warm water? (-:

PRBronco
02-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah, but like I said when the thread was originally posted, when the Chargers initially acquired Rivers Brees had done nothing to that point to suggest the QB he would become. The pick made perfect sense at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Oh of course, but it's just fun to get them riled up :D

gunns
02-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Brees couldn't succeed in Norv's offense.

Another reason to love Norv!

Long live Norv and Al!

boltaneer
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh of course, but it's just fun to get them riled up :D

Where? I haven't seen any Charger fans riled up about Brees.

Xenos
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
It's not that Rivers or Brees is better. It's just that if Bowlen had traded TWO qb's who won championships with different teams, I think most Den fans would be screaming. lol
I'm pretty sure no one in SD actually regrets trading Eli for Rivers. If only Rivers had an ACL that day.

PRBronco
02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Where? I haven't seen any Charger fans riled up about Brees.

It's ok, we know all of you have permanently bunched panties :wave: