PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anyone excited for Team USA Basketball???

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm actually looking forward to us playing. We actually play an exhibition tonight on ESPN2. Unfortunately, news just broke that Amare Stoudemire is being dropped from the team....

Atlas
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm not excited about it BUT I do like how they assembled the team. They kept a lot of the cry baby stars of the team and got a lot of workman types. I think this team will have a good chance at winning the Gold despite the lack of stars on it or more like because the lack of stars on it.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Only if I can't find any fresh paint to stare at

missingnumber7
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Name one player that cares that they are playing for the US and isn't there just to add another trophy to their case.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Name one player that cares that they are playing for the US and isn't there just to add another trophy to their case.

Gilbert Arenas

Meck77
08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Gilbert Arenas

That's right. He comes from a long line of Lute Olson:notworthy UofA badasses! Lute knows how to screw a kids head on real tight.

SoDak Bronco
08-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Hinrich.. you kidding me.. this kid is all heart.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 05:56 PM

I'd also say Battier, Brand, Bowen, Miller, Jamison...

GonzoLays
08-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Just be glad that Football doesn't have international competition. I wonder how many NFL'ers would give of their time to partake in a non-paid competition? They have enought trouble signing autographs after a practice, much less giving months of their time to be patriotic.

GonzoLays
08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Hinrich.. you kidding me.. this kid is all heart.

Why do you say that?

SoDak Bronco
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
By the way, Hinrich is my favorite NBA player, I'm excited they didn't go with the NBA one-on-one player's and went with all-around team players, ala Bruce Bowen, and Battier. Obviously the USA has the best talent around but it doesn't matter with the way the international game is played. USA USA USA!!

GonzoLays
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
That's right. He comes from a long line of Lute Olson:notworthy UofA badasses! Lute knows how to screw a kids head on real tight.

Two of the biggest headcases in the NBA come from Zona: Salim and Damon Stoudamire.

ludo21
08-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Not excited, but glad that they put the team correctly for once.

Stoudemire must not be 100% yet......

SoDak Bronco
08-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Why do you say that?

I was saying that's why i'm looking forward to the USA Basketball tourney, it's like my dream team, with Hinrich, Lebron, Wade..should be some fireworks from the best draft class in years..and oh ya, BOsh..:thanku:

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Two of the biggest headcases in the NBA come from Zona: Salim and Damon Stoudamire.

Salim is nowhere near "headcase" status - but I'll concede on Damon.

Anyways, UofA / Lute can still claim: Sean Elliot, Loren Woods, Luke Walton, Mike Bibby, Richard Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, Hassan Adams, Jason Terry, yada yada

SoDak Bronco
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Lute got started at I-O-W-A...Don't forget it either...that's where his heart still is...He's a mechanical bull now..

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Anyways, UofA / Lute can still claim: Sean Elliot, Loren Woods, Luke Walton, Mike Bibby, Richard Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, Hassan Adams, Jason Terry, yada yada

I'm anxious to see what we look like as a team, even though they've only had about 2 weeks to gel. I also like the way they've put this team together, at least so far.

If my memory serves me correctly wasn't Salim suspended from the team or at least publicly admonished for his behavior several times while at Zona?

Man-Goblin
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I would be excited, but I have no idea how or when the games are going to be on. I mean, the Championships are in Japan, right? Are we even going to be able to watch them?

I'm more excited for the experience that Melo is getting and for the fact every puff piece I've read is raving about him and his approach. Great news.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm anxious to see what we look like as a team, even though they've only had about 2 weeks to gel. I also like the way they've put this team together, at least so far.

If my memory serves me correctly wasn't Salim suspended from the team or at least publicly admonished for his behavior several times while at Zona?

Yeah, but Lute got him straightened out in his final year.

There was, however, an incident where a number of his teammates (not him) broke into a vending machine before their game against Kansas in Lawrence. That was a bit of a fiasco.

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, ok. I think he got suspended by the Hawks for a couple games too, but I'm not sure. I think somebody mentioned it before but tonight's exhibition is on ESPN2 at 11:00 eastern time. Good point about seeing the games from Japan though. I'm sure if they are on here they'll be tape delayed, but I'll probably still watch them.

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm excited, go USA!! Peckerslap the rest of the world!! :yep:

Man-Goblin
08-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh, ok. I think he got suspended by the Hawks for a couple games too, but I'm not sure. I think somebody mentioned it before but tonight's exhibition is on ESPN2 at 11:00 eastern time. Good point about seeing the games from Japan though. I'm sure if they are on here they'll be tape delayed, but I'll probably still watch them.

There's an exhibition on in an hour?????

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 07:03 PM
There's an exhibition on in an hour?????

Yep. USA vs Puerto Rico.

Man-Goblin
08-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Yep. USA vs Puerto Rico.

Is it a replay? I thought they just played yesterday?

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Is it a replay? I thought they just played yesterday?
I read that yesterday's was a "controlled scrimmage", whatever that means. Since tonight is "uncontrolled", all hell should break loose.:thumbsup:

Man-Goblin
08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I read that yesterday's was a "controlled scrimmage", whatever that means. Since tonight is "uncontrolled", all hell should break loose.:thumbsup:

Great. I planned on going to bed early tonight. I hate the Eastern time zone.

Hopefully, Arroyo isn't the best player on the floor tonight, like the Olympic mockery.

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Here's an article with the schedule of all of the known gametimes...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2537557

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm with you on the eastern timezone sucking for 'late' games. Apparently our D was too much for Arroyo and company last night. Is defense even legal in international competition? Maybe Coach K found a loophole.

Pick Six
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm not going to worry about basketball when the NFL is on the horizon...:strong:

kamakazi_kal
08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
well, ahhhh ........ im more excited to watch the fade preseason game........ and i hate the raiders

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Starting lineup for Team USA tonight:

Chris Paul
Dwayne Wade
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh

Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce & Amare Stoudamire are all out with injuries right now. Chauncey Billups is at home fulfilling a promise to his wife.

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Team USA playing like this is an All-Star game out of the gate. :nono:

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:13 PM
That Puerto Rican guard just attempted a carry that would have made Allen Iverson proud. Unlike in the NBA, they actually called him for it.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Being tied with PR this far into the half is not comforting....

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
The full-court press isn't working out so well at the moment.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Sick dunk by melo to close the quarter

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Against good teams most presses don't work early. Our depth should wear them down and hopefully the pressure will pay off later. Typical USA international game so far...we make the spectacular play, then while the crowd is still ooohing they push the ball up the floor and hit the open 3. Then you catch yourself saying "wait. we're only up by 2?"

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
USA's outside shooting has been atrocious.

This new group in the 2nd quarter is 0 for 6 to begin the period. Oy.

DelBronco
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm a Maryland fan so of course I hate Duke, but you have to love Battier diving on the floor after a loose ball to start a break. Thats what our recent national teams have lacked.

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 08:57 PM
This unit is playing much better defense and the shots are starting to fall. USA up 13 at the moment.

Namy
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Melo is amazing!!

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 09:25 PM
USA has really cranked up the defense and are getting plenty of easy baskets because of it. They're up 23 at the moment.

NCSTBronco
08-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Coach k's defensive principles played by all-stars is beautiful when they put forth the passion to execute it.

Pontius Pirate
08-03-2006, 09:42 PM
All around domination tonight and good team work

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
They're pouring it on now, up by 35 after three quarters.

ro_50
08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I think this team is going to be different because Coach K is committed to playing all 12 guys and rotating them to keep them fresh and play more full-court pressure.

Melo was amazing tonight and they are playing great D.

And Chris Paul is much, much better than a Marbury.

ludo21
08-03-2006, 10:04 PM
up by 40.

Nice job USA.

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
And Chris Paul is much, much better than a Marbury.

Marbury is the best point guard in the NBA. Just ask him. Uhh

Clockwork Orange
08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Team USA obliterates Puerto Rico 114-69.

Carmelo with 18 points & 6 rebounds. !Booya!

Jori
08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Starting lineup for Team USA tonight:

Chris Paul
Dwayne Wade
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh

Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce & Amare Stoudamire are all out with injuries right now. Chauncey Billups is at home fulfilling a promise to his wife.
Gotta love that draft class of 2003 :notworthy

SoDak Bronco
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Gotta love that draft class of 2003 :notworthy

Don't forget Hinrich...give the white boy some love.

denver5459
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I think Coach K has got this team on a mission. He is to good of a coach. He will not let team USA "choke" (ala Larry Brown).

RhymesayersDU
08-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm loving Team USA. And yeah, it's only a matter of time before I get a #15 USA jersey.

Melo is playing like a stud, had a great first quarter. The only thing I didn't like was that in the first quarter he totally missed a defensive rotation. He needs to keep working on that.

defenseman
08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
NO, I'm not excited...dman

Nuggets4
08-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Watching how this team is reacting to Coach K just makes me that much happier that he didn't sign with the Lakers a few years ago.

ro_50
08-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm loving Team USA. And yeah, it's only a matter of time before I get a #15 USA jersey.

Melo is playing like a stud, had a great first quarter. The only thing I didn't like was that in the first quarter he totally missed a defensive rotation. He needs to keep working on that.

I love the way they played last night and I love how Coach K is going to rotate all 12 guys on the team and not stick to an anemic 8-man rotation like Larry Brown did.

They picked up the pace defensively in the second quarter and it was over after that.

I think this is the way Team USA should play, full-court pressing at the right times and using their bench to their advantage.

Man-Goblin
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Anthony injured his knee in win over Brazil.....dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2543157

Rock Chalk
08-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Hinrich and Arenas for sure.

freak6
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
That would be the nuggets luck...at least its not serious.

RhymesayersDU
08-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Anthony injured his knee in win over Brazil.....dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2543157
This is no good.

Man-Goblin
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
That would be the nuggets luck...at least its not serious.

Yeah, they just modified the article to say it wasn't serious....phew.

What impresses me though is the game he was having before he got injured. I hope he gets named captain; Krzyiwzeuiewskkki seems to have taken a liking to him.

DrFate
08-08-2006, 08:30 AM
After watching the China game, I'm afraid this team isn't going to win the gold. I am a Duke fan, so I think K is the right man for the job. But this team, just like the last 2, doesn't have enough shooters. You can't have Wade and Brown heaving up 3s. Arenas barely hits the room.

I think they should drop Arenas and Joe Johnson and add Redick and Michael Redd. You HAVE to have a couple of jump shooters in international ball.

RhymesayersDU
08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
After watching the China game, I'm afraid this team isn't going to win the gold. I am a Duke fan, so I think K is the right man for the job. But this team, just like the last 2, doesn't have enough shooters. You can't have Wade and Brown heaving up 3s. Arenas barely hits the room.

I think they should drop Arenas and Joe Johnson and add Redick and Michael Redd. You HAVE to have a couple of jump shooters in international ball.
I agree to an extent. I would still like to have seen a Michael Redd on this team.

But, to their credit, this full court pressure defense is good, and when the olympics roll around, they will have Kobe Bryant, who this summer is rehabbing from surgery, but will be on the team next summer.

Man-Goblin
08-08-2006, 08:33 AM

I think Redd turned it down; not sure. If he didn't it's assinine for him not to be on the team.

A lot of the best American shooters (Ray Allen turned it down, Kobe is nursing a knee) aren't there.

Al Wilson
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Guys how's Chris Bosh doing? I'm so proud he's a starter because this kid is a superstar and has one of the best work ethic in the NBA.

RhymesayersDU
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Guys how's Chris Bosh doing? I'm so proud he's a starter because this kid is a superstar and has one of the best work ethic in the NBA.
The one game I've seen (against PR) he didn't do all that well, but the guy can play some ball so I'm sure he'll be right there helping the team in the WBC's.

If he could get out of Toronto, a lot more people would love this guy.

RhymesayersDU
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
So, an interesting topic has been brought up on 950 the fan with alfred and scott...

Everything has been good and fun with the USA BBall. But now with Melo getting hurt, issues are raised.

It's easy for guys to say "oh nba players don't care" blah blah blah like they have in this thread. But what happens if somebody got hurt seriously?

I mean think about this. What if Carmelo was never the same? What if Champ Bailey blew out his knee in a Pro Bowl and was never the same? Same goes for baseball and hockey.

I mean, I think you have to play for your country if you are invited, but there are risks, and it's not just as easy as getting another trophy.

Man-Goblin
08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, I saw the AP thing on Melo's injury right after it went down, and it was very vague about the whole thing. Needless to say, I was definitely fearing the worst.

And I got to thinking; if he went down with like an ACL tear or something, you would never, ever see the likes of Lebron, Wade, Kobe etc. in the Olympics again. Owners would start puting it in these guys' contracts that they couldn't compete in international basketball....any why shouldn't they? You've got to protect your investments.

Namy
08-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Melo should not play against Lithuania. It's important to rest and prevent risks. Maybe play against Korea to condition himself and prepare mentally and physically for the championship. Melo is looking really really good. Could be a top 3 scorer next year. I do not want to see him get hurt again (especially involving his knee). Next season will be Carmelo's redemption year if he can stay healthy. With his performance, there is no way he does not make the all star team and will put himself at par with Wade and Bron again, altho talent wise he was always up there with them.

When I first saw the news report of his injury, my heart sank. I am very glad he is ok. I hope the hyperextension doesn't affect his performance later on tho. He has been the stud of the team.

Man-Goblin
08-15-2006, 08:15 AM
USA kicks the crap out of the South Koreans. I'm starting to think this is the second best team ever assembled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2549894

RhymesayersDU
08-17-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm not going to bother posting a link, but per ESPN's bottom line, Bruce Bowen was the one cut before the WBC games.

I'm mixed on that... If you consider all basketball skills, Bowen is probably the worst player on the team... But man, his defense alone makes him valuable, so I don't know what to think... We'll see I suppose. WBC's start Monday, I believe!

sbchampbronx
08-17-2006, 01:45 AM
If you consider all basketball skills, Bowen is probably the worst player on the team...

um..Thats exactly why he got cut...

RhymesayersDU
08-17-2006, 01:49 AM
um..Thats exactly why he got cut...
Very true, but the issue is, his defensive skills are the best on the squad, IMO... And that is one of those things that could possible trump other skills. Top to bottom, he may be the worst player in the bunch... But the one thing he's good at, defense, could be a huge asset. We shall see.

sbchampbronx
08-17-2006, 02:01 AM
the thing about him being such a great defender tho, is that if everyone else isn't as active on defense, it makes him irrelavent because the other team will just pass the ball away from him...IMO his offense is way too much of a liability especially in the interantional game.

Namy
08-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Very true, but the issue is, his defensive skills are the best on the squad, IMO... And that is one of those things that could possible trump other skills. Top to bottom, he may be the worst player in the bunch... But the one thing he's good at, defense, could be a huge asset. We shall see.
I disagree. I think Bowen's defense is overrated. Everyone knows he cheats on defense with his little shoves, etc... however, he receives the benefit of the no calls from the refs b/c... he plays for the Spurs and he is widely known for being the best defensive player in the NBA... therefore, the refs subconsciously ignore his subtle defensive ways...

In the international game, he does not have such luxury... he is not on a team that is geared defensively (altho they're improving upon it), nor is he known by anyone on an international level meaning refs won't stand for some of his defensive tricks. Anyway, he still is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But 4 pts in like 5 exhibition games? That's flat out horrible.

Master___Pain
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Melo names team captain along with LeBron and D-Wade. That's awesome for Carmelo!! Oddly enough, Ryan Gomes was not named as a team captain.:rofl:

RhymesayersDU
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Melo names team captain along with LeBron and D-Wade. That's awesome for Carmelo!! Oddly enough, Ryan Gomes was not named as a team captain.:rofl:
Whitey is just holding Gomes down!

RhymesayersDU
08-20-2006, 01:09 AM
So anybody waking up early to catch USA?

Game is Sunday morning @ 4:30 AM Mountain Time. I set my alarm for it, we'll see how much I watch before dosing off again.

Go Melo/Bron/DW. Go America.

RhymesayersDU
08-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Soooo, halftime.

USA playing pretty well, up 20 or 25 I think. China has a couple players (yao and that other guy, zu zu or something that plays in the NBA) but is outmatched.

LeBron having a terrible game, IMO. But still contributing, because he's so good.

Wade playing well.

Carmelo playing well, but it was ****ty that he blew a layup and an allyoop. No matter who the competition, you can't do that.

USA as a team playing pretty well, only 2 turnovers, and I try and count the number of bad possessions a team has, and IMO they only had like 2 in the first half... Can't wait until prelims are over!

BroncoMatt
08-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I haven't seen as much as I would have liked, but my impressions are this is a team with good chemistry, they seem to really enjoy playing together and they are playing with purpose. As young as this team is USA basketball looks to be in good shape for many years to come.

PS screw Kobe, we don't need him.