PDA

View Full Version : The Decency Line...

Pages : [1] 2

Taco John
07-09-2006, 03:20 AM
I just want to make it clear to the community here that I expect this forum to police itself in terms of the decency line. This forum has gotten vulgar lately, and is becoming an eyesore.

If this sub-community doesn't take it upon itself to police itself by reigning folks in when they cross the line, I will take extreme measures in order to prompt this kind of self policing. One tool that I'm considering is turning this forum off for periods of time such as 24 hours, or 12pm - 5pm PST.

I'll ask you not to make me get creative in solving this issue, because I honestly don't want to... But I will if I have to.

Rascal
07-09-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd love to see it stay up but the vulgarity by 95% of the people who post here, including myself at times, is just pathetic. IMO it ruins the image of the board as a family forum (so does the majority of the avatar's but that's why I have them turned off). :thumbs:

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Politics ARE vulgar. This place is a microcosm of the division expressing that vulgarity, thus a pretty accurate reflection of the mess we're now in.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Politics ARE vulgar. This place is a microcosm of the division expressing that vulgarity, thus a pretty accurate reflection of the mess we're now in.
I've seen more profanity on the main board at times when Alec is posting. But maybe posting rules or guidlines on what's acceptable and what isn't would help.

(so does the majority of the avatar's but that's why I have them turned off). I was wondering why you didn't have an avatar.

Crushaholic
07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
It's not that hard to debate politics without calling each other names. More people (on both sides) should try it...

loborugger
07-09-2006, 02:31 PM
You are all a bunch of Jerks, you're all wrong, and you all suck balls!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I just want to make it clear to the community here that I expect this forum to police itself in terms of the decency line. This forum has gotten vulgar lately, and is becoming an eyesore.

I'll ask you not to make me get creative in solving this issue, because I honestly don't want to... But I will if I have to.
What's your problem?

Why don't you do your job and MODERATE this room, instead of bitching and threatening?

TJ, it was just one week ago when you complained in the main room that WRP is a "cess pool" and whenever you go there "you feel dirty." And yet on that VERY SAME DAY - you started a thread in here!!!! (The "Reesurrect a President" thread - a great thread). I'm sorry, TJ, but that makes you a first-class hypocrite in my book, at least on this topic.

WRP is the only room on this board without a moderator ... and yet you are "shocked, shocked!" when name-calling goes on?! Gimme a break. Stop blaming the room. As somebody who spends time in here (that's absolutely certain he posts nothing improper), your threats tick me off. You say "police yourself"? I say "do your job." Why not get, maybe, RedRocket to moderate? He seems pretty level-headed and not too political, and he has time to spend 30-60 minutes twice a day to go through the threads. We'll help him by self-reporting with PMs, and he can dole out whatever warnings or suspensions are warranted. (You know - like you do in EVERY OTHER room?!?)

I know the OM has been growing exponentially, and I'm happy for you and everybody. BUt don't act like the problem is getting "out of control," From where I sit, you're the problem. You and that empty box at the bottom of the page that says "Moderator:"

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I've seen more profanity on the main board at times when Alec is posting. But maybe posting rules or guidlines on what's acceptable and what isn't would help.

I was wondering why you didn't have an avatar.
what are you talking about? He has an avy.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 04:47 PM
What's your problem?

Why don't you do your job and MODERATE this room, instead of b****ing and threatening?

TJ, it was just one week ago when you complained in the main room that WRP is a "cess pool" and whenever you go there "you feel dirty." And yet on that VERY SAME DAY - you started a thread in here!!!! (The "Reesurrect a President" thread - a great thread). I'm sorry, TJ, but that makes you a first-class hypocrite in my book, at least on this topic.

WRP is the only room on this board without a moderator ... and yet you are "shocked, shocked!" when name-calling goes on?! Gimme a break. Stop blaming the room. As somebody who spends time in here (that's absolutely certain he posts nothing improper), your threats tick me off. You say "police yourself"? I say "do your job." Why not get, maybe, RedRocket to moderate? He seems pretty level-headed and not too political, and he has time to spend 30-60 minutes twice a day to go through the threads. We'll help him by self-reporting with PMs, and he can dole out whatever warnings or suspensions are warranted. (You know - like you do in EVERY OTHER room?!?)

I know the OM has been growing exponentially, and I'm happy for you and everybody. BUt don't act like the problem is getting "out of control," From where I sit, you're the problem. You and that empty box at the bottom of the page that says "Moderator:"
Unfortunatly I have to agree to a degree. I have reported pics and posts in CD and nothing was done other than I got told by a mod I needed to lighten
up. So why worry about WPR?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Vote for me.

Elect me as WRP moderator, and I promise to get rid of all the vulgarity.

:D

You do know what that means, don't you?

Pezman
07-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Honestly, if we could get a mod in here, I'd personally nominate Elsid13, Slug or Shack in a heartbeat. That's not to say that LABF , W*gs or anyone else isnt worthy by the way... just my personal choices.

As for the rest of this forum, as long as the attacks aren't personal, obscene and vicious threats, then its all fair game in here IMO.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Honestly, if we could get a mod in here, I'd personally nominate Elsid13, Slug or Shack in a heartbeat. That's not to say that LABF , W*gs or anyone else isnt worthy by the way... just my personal choices.

As for the rest of this forum, as long as the attacks aren't personal, obscene and vicious threats, then its all fair game in here IMO.

I nominate BlueFlame.

She's already demonstrated her ability to hang with the rough boys in this forum without ever losing her cool or forgetting her role as a mod.

Pezman
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I nominate BlueFlame.

She's already demonstrated her ability to hang with the rough boys in this forum without ever losing her cool or forgetting her role as a mod.
She is a great candidate LABF, except, considering that her hands are full enough as it is, I dont know if she would want full-time duties here. Plus, we've had some dialog between the two of us discussing how she might be taken as too liberal and the conservative crowd would complain that they are being treated unfairly.

Honestly, I'm all in favor of TJ's old approach of hands-off with the forum, and hope that the well-read and respected members here could lead by example more often rather than be baited. JMHO anyway :thumbs:

elsid13
07-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks I think. I saw the thread in that caused some of the problem, and it did cross the line on PG13 site(and the guy that did it is one of my all time favorite posters on the board) . I know politics is emotional issue and folks get passionate about their position, but sometime you need to just take a step away, or you end up acting like Bobo, CrazyHorse or at worse PATCH. I had to do it half a dozen time in last couple of weeks. (Mainly because I need to find some female companionship, but that another story ;D) Beside on the Hill you would be surprise how many folks on the both side of the aisle actually hang out together.

I rather keep this section of the board up and running so I personnel ask folks to relax a little, remember at the end of the day all that matter is DENVER kicking the crap out of rest of the NFL. That and keep those damn French in thier place.

Pezman
07-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks I think. I saw the thread in that caused some of the problem, and it did cross the line on PG13 site(and the guy that did it is one of my all time favorite posters on the board) . I know politics is emotional issue and folks get passionate about their position, but sometime you need to just take a step away, or you end up acting like Bobo, CrazyHorse or at worse PATCH. I had to do it half a dozen time in last couple of weeks. (Mainly because I need to find some female companionship, but that another story ;D) Beside on the Hill you would be surprise how many folks on the both side of the aisle actually hang out together.

I rather keep this section of the board up and running so I personnel ask folks to relax a little, remember at the end of the day all that matter is DENVER kicking the crap out of rest of the NFL. That and keep those damn French in thier place.

Yup, I agree totally. I guess when it comes down to it, some of us are internet tough guys, only to be completely different in person. :thumbsup:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Honestly, I'm all in favor of TJ's old approach of hands-off with the forum, and hope that the well-read and respected members here could lead by example more often rather than be baited. JMHO anyway :thumbs:

I agree 100%

This is a place for political and religious discussions, so it's pretty much a given that things will get heated sometimes.

Thus, the "if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the friggin' kitchen" policy seems appropriate.

There are too many complaints that could be resolved with the use of the ignore feature.

I'll never understand people who constantly complain about the input of others on this forum but decline to put the "offender" on ignore.

These people should be instructed to either use "ignore" or stop complaining.

They have the tools they need to moderate their own browsing experience here, and they simply refuse to use those tools.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I agree 100%

This is a place for political and religious discussions, so it's pretty much a given that things will get heated sometimes.

Thus, the "if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the friggin' kitchen" policy seems appropriate.

Just because a discussion gets heated is no reason to get presonal. I have had lots of discussions (political and religious) with people and not once have I gotten personal and I cant remember having a personal attack pointed at me. I dont post in this forum much because there is no moderation. I love discussing religion but I am not going to put up with personal attacks and insults so I can.

W*GS
07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
You do know what that means, don't you?

WRP would be LABF's echo chamber.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Just because a discussion gets heated is no reason to get presonal. I have had lots of discussions (political and religious) with people and not once have I gotten personal and I cant remember having a personal attack pointed at me. I dont post in this forum much because there is no moderation. I love discussing religion but I am not going to put up with personal attacks and insults so I can.

That's the whole point - you don't have to put up with anything or anybody you don't want to experience here. All you have to do is use "ignore" and you will never see that person again.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
That's the whole point - you don't have to put up with anything or anybody you don't want to experience here. All you have to do is use "ignore" and you will never see that person again.

No the point is there should be some moderation. We shouldn't have to use the ignore option.

Garcia Bronco
07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Elsid would be a god moderator for the WRP...Elsid is pretty balanced.

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:03 PM
I see now you want to throw a Bítch fit ............. Blah, Blah , Blah , war room ......Whewre was all this concern when we on the left was called Anti American terrorist loving Pigs ? or when Death threats were issued , Hell Rascal Pmed me his home Phone # wante3d to fight , thought twice when he found out I was willing ...... Where was all this concern then ?
How about when most of us on the left got Terrorist Names ? Wasnt that over the top ?
How about when certian posters here feel the need to cram Religion down everyones throat , isnt that over the top and "****ting in the pool" ?
I know who went crying to you this time , shocking it wasnt Rascal ..........
Bottom line if they can dish it they can take it ..........
This is all over that Childmolesting list I have , I know it was meck that went to you , why is cause they wont have to face the list .............Thats what it is al about , it isnt the cursing or the name calling , if they say it is then the are lying , it is the Republican Pedophilia they choose not to deal with ........
So they want Pooitics shut down .............
Cowards ........... nothing more , nothing less

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Crap I work a 16 hour day and miss all the action and riff raff. Work sucks. Any how I tend to check the poltics forum first then football of course it is off season. I dunno I met a lot of people here and tend to enjoy the forum space. I now have to read two days worth of threads to see where this thread orginated from.

gunns
07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I'd definitely go with Elsid.

Spider
Lying sack of **** ............I have seen the name calling and the personal........ attacks alo0t worse ....think back if you can , when I first posted the list , everyone blew a fuse , everything goes quite , We insult etc .Soon as the list id brought up and used in an argument .Bam !!!!!!!!!!! Retards want to cry ..... News Flash , if you dont Want Molesters in your Party ......STOP VOTING FOR THEM Would be a damn good place to start ................

Saddletramp
I see now you want to throw a Bítch fit ............. Blah, Blah , Blah , war room ......Whewre was all this concern when we on the left was called Anti American terrorist loving Pigs ? or when Death threats were issued , Hell Rascal Pmed me his home Phone # wante3d to fight , thought twice when he found out I was willing ...... Where was all this concern then ?
How about when most of us on the left got Terrorist Names ? Wasnt that over the top ?
How about when certian posters here feel the need to cram Religion down everyones throat , isnt that over the top and "****ting in the pool" ?
This is all over that Childmolesting list I have , I know it was meck that went to you , why is cause they wont have to face the list .............Thats what it is al about , it isnt the cursing or the name calling , if they say it is then the are lying , it is the Republican Pedophilia they choose not to deal with ........

feel better?

elsid13
07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Spider

If you don't play nice - no sock monkey for you ;D

http://www.fluff.tv/Drunky%20Munkey%20&%20Ophelia.jpg

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
feel better?
it isnt a rant , it is the truth , Ask Garcia about when he wanted to ban me over the list ............ I used the list hard on sactown , this isnt about me calling him a dickhead , this is about the list of Republican molesters and me asking him of he prefers boys or Girls .......... thats what this is all about

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Spider

If you don't play nice - no sock monkey for you ;D

http://www.fluff.tv/Drunky%20Munkey%20&%20Ophelia.jpg
LOL . I could use one , I am in Farmington New Mexico . on my way to Mobil Alabama ;D

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 06:12 PM

Good points. :thumbsup:

I think part of the reason for the apparent double standard here is that the right-wingers are quick to complain and to go crying to TJ and the mods when they are feeling the heat whereas those of us on the left don't feel the need to summon Big Brother to intervene when the righties pick a fight with us.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:14 PM
it isnt a rant , it is the truth , Ask Garcia about when he wanted to ban me over the list ............ I used the list hard on sactown , this isnt about me calling him a dickhead , this is about the list of Republican molesters and me asking him of he prefers boys or Girls .......... thats what this is all about
I have no idea what list you are talking about.

Did you only post a list of Republican Childmolesters? If so, you knew when you posted it, it could get out of hand.

Calm down Spider. You dont know 100% any of this is pointed at you. You name hasnt been mentioned.

Hogan11
Why do I get the creepy feeling that nominating a mod for here will turn the place into a conservative dominated forum? I suspect that's who does the majority of the complaining about posts and posters anyways.....I could be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

Close the forum? It'll never happen....TJ knows such a move risks moving the circus to the main board, something no one wants. The mods have their hands full with that as it is when certain posters ignore the rules and post political/current event threads in the main forum.....does anyone think they want to see that quadrupled?

IMHO, If personal attacks persist, then whack them with 30 days....that's it.

Problem solved.

BroncoBuff

Slug seems a bit right-leaning, but I heartily second all three!

PLEASE don't shut it down, TJ ... I've learned a lot in here. (Albeit, mostly I've learned how to distinguish between BS and fact ... :spit: )

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:15 PM
LOL . I could use one , I am in Farmington New Mexico . on my way to Mobil Alabama ;D
right through Amarillo. The Hoffbrau has great steaks. 7203 I-40 west.

W*GS
For my part, I've never complained to any of the mods about anyone or anything.

On the other hand, some folks here think they can (figuratively) poke someone in the eye with a stick and not get the same treatment back.

Get some thicker skin. And drop the bogus guilt-by-association nonsense.

elsid13
I actually think I crossed the line with that pic. But now you know what Bob does with his sock monkeys.

footstepsfrom#27
There's no reason to have a moderator in here. Politics itself is nasty, dirty, personal and crosses the line. Small wonder if people discussing it do likewise. I don't get why this is an issue? Are legions of 7 year olds lining up to discuss the war in Iraq on the OM?

Dumb idea of the month.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
No the point is there should be some moderation. We shouldn't have to use the ignore option.

This is like a parent saying "I shouldn't have to use parental controls" and then complaining because his kids were exposed to an R-rated program on cable TV.

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Why do I get the creepy feeling that nominating a mod for here will turn the place into a conservative dominated forum?
Bear with me here ....

Why not just create a list of, say, 22 words and all *** eqiuvalents that cannot be used. In addition, "overtly personal attacks" would cover most of what's left ...

Maybe that kid RedRocket would moderate - using these rules. He's a pretty level-headed kid, and he has time enough to spend 30-45 minutes twice a day going thru the threads and e-mails. I'll bet he'd be thrilled to give it a shot.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
This is like a parent saying "I shouldn't have to use parental controls" and then complaining because his kids were exposed to an R-rated program on cable TV.
children are only exposed to R-rated programs because the parents allow it. That is probably the worst excuse I have ever heard.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
There's no reason to have a moderator in here. Politics itself is nasty, dirty, personal and crosses the line. Small wonder if people discussing it do likewise. I don't get why this is an issue? Are legions of 7 year olds lining up to discuss the war in Iraq on the OM?

Dumb idea of the month.

:thumbsup: Bingo.

Spider

Did you only post a list of Republican Childmolesters? If so, you knew when you posted it, it could get out of hand.

Calm down Spider. You dont know 100% any of this is pointed at you. You name hasnt been mentioned.
I am not riled up , just stating the real reason why this is going down , No one is 100% to blame , but Most of us here take part in it , I am not saying I am innocent , or vindecated in anyway .... just stating the obvious ....... I dont like double dealing , they want ot bring down the heat , thats fine , but bring it down for the right reasons , not some bullshít excuse

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
elsid13 is the consensus choice.

elsid, what say you? .... errrr... I mean .... how about it?

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
For my part, I've never complained to any of the mods about anyone or anything.

On the other hand, some folks here think they can (figuratively) poke someone in the eye with a stick and not get the same treatment back.

Get some thicker skin. And drop the bogus guilt-by-association nonsense.
;D . no W*GS you havent .........

Hogan11
07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Personal attacks are not permissable under any circumstances.....30 days each offense would straighten up the lot of them....there's no valid reason why this forum should be above the rules of the Board itself.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
children are only exposed to R-rated programs because the parents allow it. That is probably the worst excuse I have ever heard.

It's a perfectly good analogy.

For you to say "I shouldn't have to use ignore" and then complain about someone else's input is just like someone who refuses to use parental controls and then complains about seeing R-rated material on cable TV.

You have the means to filter out things you don't want to see, but you insist on censorship instead.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Okay i have only voted Republican my whole life but I didn't ever call any one names or of that sort. The only Republican who won was the current bush and governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee who is amazingly (not sure if that is a word) funny he came to Arkansas's boy state. He is freaking funny. Sad to see him go b/c of term limits although I think term limits are good and healthy for politcs. My motto after working at a old money country club we all poop and wipe ourselves the same. In reality we are all human.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Personal attacks are not permissible under any circumstances.....30 days each offense would straighten up the lot of them....there's no valid reason why this forum should be above the rules of the Board itself.
!Booya!

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yahtzie!!!!!!!!!!!

my spelling sucks.

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Of course it ahouold get out of hand , Molesters shouldnt be protected and voted into office just cause they are republicans ........... you are a parent like me , dont you think this info should be public ? right through Amarillo. The Hoffbrau has great steaks. 7203 I-40 west.
;D hmmmmmmmmm steak

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
It's a perfectly good analogy.

For you to say "I shouldn't have to use ignore" and then complain about someone else's input is just like someone who refuses to use parental controls and then complains about seeing R-rated material on cable TV.

You have the means to filter out things you don't want to see, but you insist on censorship instead.
CENSORSHIP MY FAT ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how about just common decency? Ever heard of it??

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Of course it ahouold get out of hand , Molesters shouldnt be protected and voted into office just cause they are republicans ........... you are a parent like me , dont you think this info should be public ?
;D hmmmmmmmmm steak
their shrimp is battered in catfish batter. OMG!!!! Absolutely awesome. Their New York Strips are to die for.

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Personal attacks are not permissable under any circumstances.....30 days each offense would straighten up the lot of them....there's no valid reason why this forum should be above the rules of the Board itself.
Thats fine , but set the rules ........

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Of course it ahouold get out of hand , Molesters shouldnt be protected and voted into office just cause they are republicans ........... you are a parent like me , dont you think this info should be public ?

well yes.......duh...

What I meant was did you also post any Democratic Party childmolesters?

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Fine.

How about this for a basic framework? http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1182835&postcount=39

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Why do I get the creepy feeling that nominating a mod for here will turn the place into a conservative dominated forum? I suspect that's who does the majority of the complaining about posts and posters anyways.....I could be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

Bingo.

This is exactly what will happen.

You can take it to the bank.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:32 PM
well yes.......duh...

What I meant was did you also post and Democratic Party childmolesters?

Wow I mean when Clinton was in office it was the right wing extremist up in arms. When a Republican is in office it is the leftist liberal media at play. Come on unless a huge turn over rate that is sucidcal then rational thinking is pick on the big guy. It seems who ever is President the press immedilately shifts the opposite direction.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Wow I mean when Clinton was in office it was the right wing extremist up in arms. When a Republican is in office it is the leftist liberal media at play. Come on unless a huge turn over rate that is sucidcal then rational thinking is pick on the big guy. It seems who ever is President the press immedilately shifts the opposite direction.
huh? what does this have to do with my post?

:kiddingme

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
well yes.......duh...

i tried , I challenged everyone else to come up with a list .......... all I got was excuses and Mel Reynolds and W*GS knew about him ............

W*GS
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
You can take it to the bank.

If anyone had 'taken it to the bank' every time you used that phrase about something, they'd be dead broke.

Remind me never to take you gambling.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Okay I have come to respect spider (okay a little home town bias I am from truck stop USA) La Bronco, And Bronco Buff a wide range of opinions that help me to shift thru the riff raff of biases and make me actually have a leg or two to stand on. Discent only encourages reaching out or else expanding the thought processes.

Hogan11
07-09-2006, 06:36 PM

Set the rules? The Board's rules are already set. The same rules would apply here as they do in every other forum on the board.

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Okay I have come to respect spider (okay a little home town bias I am from truck stop USA) La Bronco, And Bronco Buff a wide range of opinions that help me to shift thru the riff raff of biases and make me actually have a leg or two to stand on. Discent only encourages reaching out or else expanding the thought processes.
;D west memphis ........but if I lived there I would probably be one of those elvis type wierdos ...........

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I didnt make your list.

:Whaaaa!: :-[ :vermeil:

;D

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Set the rules? The Board's rules are already set. The same rules would apply here as they do in every other forum on the board.
I see so we can throw out personal insults at Mock all day , call him a molester , Drunk and a guy who bangs his cat ..................Kinda murky on the difference there Hogan

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
huh? what does this have to do with my post?

Okay I have had four hours sleep so please overlook any snubs. I dunno . I worked 16 hours Saturday slept four hours and headed back to work for seven hours. So it made sense at the time not now. Maybe last post dunno. I should sleep well tonite though.

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Bear with me here ....

Why not just create a list of, say, 22 words and all *** eqiuvalents that cannot be used. In addition, "overtly personal attacks" would cover most of what's left ...

Maybe that kid RedRocket would moderate - using these rules. He's a pretty level-headed kid, and he has time enough to spend 30-45 minutes twice a day going thru the threads and e-mails. I'll bet he'd be thrilled to give it a shot.
http://www.faceright.com/archives/images/Nazis.jpg
Meet Your New Mods...

Half the fun of this place is watching people go postal in here. Banning personal attacks will make this just another vanilla internet forum. Moderating it won't do anything but cause people to leave.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
;D west memphis ........but if I lived there I would probably be one of those elvis type wierdos ...........

you do mean other than just being a wierdo in general,

right?

:yayaya: Hilarious! :rofl: :welcome: :welcome:

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:42 PM

In my credit I only been to graceland once b/c of a chrstmas bargin get in for five bucks. Most of ours delta people never been to Graceland.

Spider
you do mean other than just being a wierdo in general,

right?

:yayaya: Hilarious! :rofl: :welcome: :welcome:

;D ........... somthing like that

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
http://www.faceright.com/archives/images/Nazis.jpg
Meet Your New Mods...

:giggle:

"White men...

white women....

....the swastika is calling YOU...."

{/Henry Gibson voice}

Rascal
07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
If somebody was to be the full time mod over this forum they would a) quit in short order, b) no longer enjoy coming to the board, or c) become such a nazi that nobody would be allowed to post anything.

Fact is this forum shouldn't need a moderator. If somebody can't remain civil in their discussion either a) ignore them, or b) respond but don't stoop to their level. By responding in kind you are doing nothing more then giving them vindication for their actions.

I was uncivil there for a while but I've done my best in cleaning it up. I had hoped others would join me in this but unfortunately it has gotten worse.

Fact is this MB is a Broncos MB...not a political MB.

Whatever TJ decides is fine by me.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 06:47 PM
If somebody was to be the full time mod over this forum they would a) quit in short order, b) no longer enjoy coming to the board, or c) become such a nazi that nobody would be allowed to post anything.

Fact is this forum shouldn't need a moderator. If somebody can't remain civil in their discussion either a) ignore them, or b) respond but don't stoop to their level. By responding in kind you are doing nothing more then giving them vindication for their actions.

I was uncivil there for a while but I've done my best in cleaning it up. I had hoped others would join me in this but unfortunately it has gotten worse.

Fact is this MB is a Broncos MB...not a political MB.

Whatever TJ decides is fine by me.

I'm not sure what the current fuss is all about.

I haven't seen much name-calling on this forum lately.

There's a lot more name-calling and personal attacking on the main forum, it seems to me.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I think this space keeps the crap from merging to the main board. Which would drive even more fans away. I like to think I have a healthy relationship in what I believe and if I take the heat so what. I claim Arkansas. Works every time. But seriously we are all blue or red states and it is a healthy off season topic when the Broncos are boring until the main season and the bam We are all one united as Bronco. This rival is forgotten at the new tail gate place

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 06:50 PM
In my credit I only been to graceland once b/c of a chrstmas bargin get in for five bucks. Most of ours delta people never been to Graceland.
LIKE the people who live in New York and have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=Saddletramp]you do mean other than just being a wierdo in general,

In my defense I only been to graceland once b/c I refuse to live in the Memphis area although on the Arkansas side and not see Elvis's house once and this was after some neighbor's sued a neighbor at Christmas time for too many lights and he donated them to Elvis's estate so getting in was only five bucks. Pretty cool house really.

Rascal
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM

There's a lot more name-calling and personal attacking on the main forum, it seems to me.

Well I have several people on my ignore list who were the main culprits about a month ago, and I had assumed it was the same individuals.

I'd like to think you are right, but obviously something happened or has been happening that cause TJ to create this thread. He wouldn't do so unless he had a reason...or he is just so dang tired from getting the babies room ready that he has a very short fuse.

Personally I think you've done a good job lately especially with the number of attacks you usually get. :thumbs:

Spider
07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
LIKE the people who live in New York and have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?
;D seen them all bro , I dont live in New York though ......... I dont know about anyone else , but I got chills reading the inscription on the Statue of Liberty ...She is one hellva lady . the Empire state Building is aswesome , the craftsmanship in the building is outstanding , I was in the WTC , part of a guided tour , taking the elevatorts is like taking a Nascar race car around the block ........ whiplash ;D ....... I have been to mount rushmore , awe struck ......

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
LIKE the people who live in New York and have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building? I visited New york in 2000 it was an awesome experience I loved the Empire State Building and the WTC. And Lady Liberty I didn't get to go up in torch but sailed past it. I absoluetly love New York. I ram pack much of my stay as much as I could. I was on a mission trip to God's love we Deliver to Aids patients. We really got to see the real New York we stayed in Hell's Kitchen. Okay your scare factor is nothing on Memphis.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Like who, for example?

This would be big news - it's not like you would have to dig for it.

(Especially when you consider the right-wing's penchant for probing the sex lives of Democrats.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Well I have several people on my ignore list who were the main culprits about a month ago, and I had assumed it was the same individuals.

I'd like to think you are right, but obviously something happened or has been happening that cause TJ to create this thread. He wouldn't do so unless he had a reason...or he is just so dang tired from getting the babies room ready that he has a very short fuse.

It's interesting - when I go back and read TJ's original post, it only mentions "decency" (in a rather vague, FCC-like statement.) There is no reference to name-calling or personal attacks.

Personally I think you've done a good job lately especially with the number of attacks you usually get. :thumbs:

;D I try - I really do.

Same to you, BTW. :thumbsup:

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
As a Southern boy in a big city I felt if you could see a build ing you could walk to it but low and be hold it was a thirty minute subway ride to the desination. I really really love New York and Chicago and of course Denver I have visited them all in the last five years. I don't count New orleans. I try to visit a major city once a year. To expand my knowledge b/c let us face it Memphis is boring even being a neighboring city. A make a wish dream come true is coming to a Broncos home game. and going to the new tailgate. I came in February or march and it was an really awesome experience. espically the snow which we only get once a year here in Memphis and then no bread or tiolet paper is to be found in the stores.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
I would be able to travel to Chicago more easily then New York b/c of Amtrak but I think both cities are cool in their own way.

Rascal
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
It's interesting - when I go back and read TJ's original post, it only mentions "decency" (in a rather vague, FCC-like statement.) There is no reference to name-calling or personal attacks.

;D I try - I really do.

That's it...somebody reported you liberals to the FCC and TJ felt the hammer. LOL

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what TJ meant by it either as it was pretty vague. Something must have happened behind the scenes that we aren't aware of.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Denver is the most out west i have been. I am tempted to go visited a girl in Hawaii b/c she got missed place b/c of Katrina. I am thinking of a free room and board with benefits. Proabably will be my next hot spot b/c I visited her while she was a student at Johnson and Wales culinary schoo0l in Denver Col. Also she showed me around town a lot.

Spider
07-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Well I got a neg rep for calling Sactown a dickhead ....... that doesnt bother me , what does is the shrade of decency when in reality it was me using the Republican molester thread like a stick .......... my point has always been if they are embarresed byu this stop voting for them .........

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:13 PM

;D I try - I really do.

The FCC is asking all mod to manage their boards b/c of terrorist threats against Griese. This is of course under cover working of the FCC Most broncos fans are in question b/c of a " supposedly losing season" it was a conspriacy at best to expose Griese as an extremist and thus all of us are connected. We are suspect b/c we sent Griese to Flordia where the nation election was decided and several hurricanes struck the US at Florida we are all suspects in this crime.

Pezman
07-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Yup, it has been frothing over a bit on the main forum lately hasnt it? Thank god football season is right around the corner so we can beat down those Chorfs and Fader fans in unison :thumbs:

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Yup, it has been frothing over a bit on the main forum lately hasnt it? Thank god football season is right around the corner so we can beat down those Chorfs and Fader fans in unison :thumbs:

This is FCC fault in not requirely all cable and satillle operatorers to support the NFL channel or Broncos all the time Channel. B.c shoot here in the "midsouth" we crave any little news from Denver. In essance we all poop the same and are all broncos fans enough said.

Pezman
07-09-2006, 07:26 PM
This is FCC fault in not requirely all cable and satillle operatorers to support the NFL channel or Broncos all the time Channel. B.c shoot here in the "midsouth" we crave any little news from Denver. In essance we all poop the same and are all broncos fans enough said.

Speaking of the FCC, I kinda miss having Michael Powell getting kicked around by Howard Stern... Then again, screw him... I'm glad he's gone. The FCC is one seriously corrupt organization.... but that is another topic altogether.

Spider
07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Thats ok , I answered Mecks little thread .Asking him where was he when we was getting Called terrorist lovin anti American , told to move to France etc ......
I asked meck and TJ , where they was when LABF get attacked ?
where is all this concern about decentcy when we on the left get attacked ...I know Spider let it go .............. I want to but the blatent , disreguard when someone on the left is attacked is obvious .............

elsid13
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Speaking of the FCC, I kinda miss having Michael Powell getting kicked around by Howard Stern... Then again, screw him... I'm glad he's gone. The FCC is one seriously corrupt organization.... but that is another topic altogether.

Did you see that IFC channel is producing a documentary on the Motion Picture Board. Who the group is,how that make decision, etc.....

Pezman
07-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Did you see that IFC channel is producing a documentary on the Motion Picture Board. Who the group is,how that make decision, etc.....

No I missed that. But if they are as unchecked an organization as the FCC, I could only imagine their abuse of power. That reminds me, why is the FCC one of the only government agencies that has no public voting for their leaders?

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Thats ok , I answered Mecks little thread .Asking him where was he when we was getting Called terrorist lovin anti American , told to move to France etc ......
I asked meck and TJ , where they was when LABF get attacked ?
where is all this concern about decentcy when we on the left get attacked ...I know Spider let it go .............. I want to but the blatent , disreguard when someone on the left is attacked is obvious .............
Wasn't me b/c I was at work from eight am saturday until one am sunday at work all times central. PLease some one send me the thread in question so I can read it too tired to shift thru it all

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Like who, for example?

This would be big news - it's not like you would have to dig for it.

I need to clarify something here.

My post you quoted was a question to Spider, who apparently posted a list of elected officials who were known to have or have been convicted of child molestion. He POSTED that he believed this thread was started because someone had reported his post. It seems to have started a flame war between him and some other members. I asked him if he had posted any Democratic Party Members or just Republican Party members. It is in no way a suggestion that there are any political party memebers that have been convicted of any child molestion crimes or is it directed toward any particular political party.

Pezman
07-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Ok, I'm lost with the molestation thing... which thread was that?

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 07:43 PM
No I missed that. But if they are as unchecked an organization as the FCC, I could only imagine their abuse of power. That reminds me, why is the FCC one of the only government agencies that has no public voting for their leaders?
Mainly because it is an office of the goverment and its management is appointed. Also it is not the only agency that does not have it leaders elected. 99% of all goverment agencies leadership is appointed by the President when he takes office. Actually to my knowledge all goverment agencies leadership is appointed. The Supreme Court is a prime example. Along with the FBI, CIA, NSA, USPS, BLM, ETC., ETC..

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I have no clue either. If you go back to either page one or two you can see where this all started.

*edit* page two post # 22.

cbs1177
07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok, I'm lost with the molestation thing... which thread was that?.

Me too let us be gemtlemane we are all under one rooof broncos.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 07:53 PM

Me too let us be gemtlemane we are all under one rooof broncos.
more clarification here.

spider and I were just having a side discussion not anyone one of us call either one a child molester.

Spider
07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Here is the thread that started it all http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=26393&highlight=Ideas+family+values
And I do bring it up alot ......... specialy when someone comes in blasting Dems .......

Pezman
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Here is the thread that started it all http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=26393&highlight=Ideas+family+values
And I do bring it up alot ......... specialy when someone comes in blasting Dems .......

Thanks for the link bro...

Spider
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I have only called a few here Molesters ..........

Pezman
07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Yikes! I was in the middle of reading that thread when we had a small earthquake here! ROFL!

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14239184.htm

elsid13
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM

FCC is an agency, like State or Defense, etc, thus it not an elected office. All the commissioners are voted on and confirmed by the Senate. It usually is divided 2/3 to party in power.

Saddletramp
07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Yikes! I was in the middle of reading that thread when we had a small earthquake here! ROFL!

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14239184.htm
holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes! is right.

DomCasual
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I just poked my head over here, and it appears all hell's broken loose. What happened to get all of you child molesters so worked up? :poke:

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Well TJ, as much as I hate to say it, I think you should shut down the politics and religion thread. Your idea was to create a Bronco board and you don't need these headaches. Those of us who want to discuss these issues have hundreds of other boards we can join. You have enough work with a new kid on the way. Keep it simple and go back to your original purpose.

Taco John
07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Please note... Spamming my PM box isn't going to help this situation at all. Thanks for the spam and all, but that's not what I was hoping for. Instead of taking it out on me, here's an idea: take some personal responsibility for the situation and commit yourself to making this place better...

It's not like I'm asking for a whole lot here...

Sassy
07-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Wow...now I know why I stay out of here for the most part.

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Please note... Spamming my PM box isn't going to help this situation at all. Thanks for the spam and all, but that's not what I was hoping for. Instead of taking it out on me, here's an idea: take some personal responsibility for the situation and commit yourself to making this place better...

It's not like I'm asking for a whole lot here...
I didn't think about the spam aspect of the forwarded e-mails, I'm sorry about that ...

But what about those of us who love this room, and DO commit ourselves to staying clean?

I got outta line once with you myself, and you handled it extremely well. Why not do that now with WRP? Don't throw the whole thing out for a few bad apples ... a moderator could ride herd.

Taco John
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Look. I'm not going to burden anyone else with the job of being a mod here. That's not a desireable option at all. And Beerslug, calling me a hypocrite for doing my part and leading by example is amusing, but hardly valid. You're right that I said I feel dirty coming into this place sometimes. You're also right that I decided to do something other than complain about it and start a worthwhile thread that I though would spark some actual discussion. That's not hypocrisy. That's leading by example.

I'm asking adults to self police themselves and try to keep from vulgarity. I'm not pointing fingers at any one individual, though I could point many. I'm giving you all two options here: (1) Police yourselves, or (2) I come in here with riot gear and piss a bunch of people off. Which is fine with me. Sometimes you've got to burn the forest down to keep it healthy.

The way I figure it, the problem isn't that there aren't mods here. The problem is that there aren't enough people taking pride in the forum to speak up when someone is getting out of line.

BroncoBuff
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Some kids are tearing down their schools ....we're trying to SAVE ours!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 11:08 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis.

:thumbsup:

http://www.nederpoparchief.nl/bluesbrothers/afb/jake.jpg

'The band, Elwood. The band!'

'The band? ... the band. The band? The band!'

'Praise God.'

'And God bless the United States of America!'

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Expecting people who get bent out of shape over differences of opinion regarding a football game to somehow transcend that when dealing with politics and religion strikes me as wishfull thinking. The whole political history of the country is about people getting personal and downright nasty over dissagreements...same with religion. Personally I think Mods are needed though...to combat the evils of free speech that might harm some of the adults posting in here. However, I think the job's to small for 1 or 2...we need an entire committee. Here are my nominees:

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0103/012702jongilkim.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/David_Duke2.jpg http://www.hopescall.com/hcpics/041014/Fallwell.jpg http://www.habanaupec.cubasi.cu/Marzo%2006/Louis%20Farrakhan.gif http://www.cbc.ca/news/obit/pope/gfx/pope_cp_7177772.jpg http://atangledweb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sheehan.jpg http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c1/250px-Judgewapner.jpg http://www.seacoastonline.com/2004news/8_18f.jpg http://www.catholicglobe.org/archive/2003/1003/30/photos/terry1.jpg http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9909/30/richard.simmons/simmons.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm asking adults to self police themselves and try to keep from vulgarity.

I'm not sure what, specifically, you mean by "vulgarity." (And, no, I'm not trying to be a smart ass - I'm asking a serious question here.)

Do you mean swearing? If so, isn't there an auto-filter function that automatically takes care of that?

If not swearing, then what?

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/barbara-billingsley.jpg http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/030731/181610__alec_baldwin_l.jpg http://phyllisschlafly.com/gif/ps/phyllis-300dpi-d.jpg http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/yearinreview/top.stories/01/link.hillary.clinton.jpg http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/08/election.president/story.jeb.bush.wtvt.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/annalog/SnoopDog.jpg

That should do it I guess...:wave:

broncocalijohn
07-09-2006, 11:21 PM

I was wondering why you didn't have an avatar.
true to that. Maybe have all moderators take some time (split up the threads) and check for the vulgarity. if same poster keeps it up, pull an alec on them and knock them down 30 days. Have apassword to get into this forum. That way if a kid is using pops computer, he cant get into this forum. That will solve the kiddie problem. Politics is brutal. It shows here sometimes too.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 11:22 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/annalog/SnoopDog.jpg

Now there's a guy who can do away with vulgarity once and for all if anybody can.

;)

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 11:26 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/annalog/SnoopDog.jpg

Now there's a guy who can do away with vulgarity once and for all if anybody can.

;)
LOL at LABF...

footstepsfrom#27
07-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Here's my problem with this whole idea. When you log on here to begin with you have to pass by this on your way in:

War, Religion and Politics Thread (5 Viewing)
Goooo "team that reflects my political ideology!" WARNING! This is a loosely moderated forum. Frankly, moderating political discussions is about as fun as sitting in on Raider court proceedings.
So in other words, people's expectations for this forum going in are that this place is not supposed to be limited and policed like the rest of the board, hence the WARNING proclaiming just that in capital letters before you come in here. Yet now for some reason it needs to be policed because people call each other names or get rude and nasty with each other? Politics IS rude and nasty.

It just makes no sense to me. I get it from both sides in here...from the left when I post anything about Christianity...and the right when I talk about Bush, Katrina, the economy...etc. Some of the stuff has been pretty nasty...so what? I can stand on my own without relying on some kind of censorship patrol to protect me from attacks. I consider ad hominems a surrender of one's position anyway...evidence you don't have anything else. I just don't really see the big deal with all this. I see people getting just as vicious on the main board, if not more so, and there's no warning there so people should have a greater expectation of civility on the main site than they do in here.

Just my .02 worth.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
I can stand on my own without relying on some kind of censorship patrol to protect me from attacks.

+1 :thumbsup:

I've been called every bag of motherf'ers under the sun by the "values" voters on this board, and, much to their eternal consternation, I'm still here, live, livin,' and breathin.' :D

I guess some folks can only hold their mud for so long before they have to appeal to some mommy or daddy figure to intervene on their behalf.

Blueflame
07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
To my knowledge neither Solomon nor Job is currently a registered poster on the Mane. Moderating the politics forum would require the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job. :P

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 12:05 AM
To my knowledge neither Solomon nor Job is currently a registered poster on the Mane.

But Jesus is, if memory serves me. ;)

Moderating the politics forum would require the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job. :P

Not to mention the sense of humor of Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, and Dave Chappelle all rolled into one.

Blueflame
07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
But Jesus is, if memory serves me. ;)

Not to mention the sense of humor of Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, and Dave Chappelle all rolled into one.

You're right... he is.... and he has 5 posts.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=3440

Definitely a sense of humor is a good attribute in a mod. And a thick skin as well...

Bronco_Beerslug
07-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Look. I'm not going to burden anyone else with the job of being a mod here. That's not a desireable option at all. And Beerslug, calling me a hypocrite for doing my part and leading by example is amusing, but hardly valid. . You apparently have me confused with someone else.

Well TJ, as much as I hate to say it, I think you should shut down the politics and religion thread. Your idea was to create a Bronco board and you don't need these headaches. Those of us who want to discuss these issues have hundreds of other boards we can join. You have enough work with a new kid on the way. Keep it simple and go back to your original purpose.

Do you think he can think for himself or needs help?

Mile High Shack
07-10-2006, 06:18 AM
it wouldn't bother me if it was shut down

I rarely post here anymore, I use to a lot, but it got tiresome

Bronco_Beerslug
07-10-2006, 06:22 AM
it wouldn't bother me if it was shut down
I rarely post here anymore, I use to a lot, but it got tiresome
LOL
Seems too of happened to a lot of "tiresome" Bush supporters.

Mile High Shack
07-10-2006, 06:49 AM
LOL
Seems too of happened to a lot of "tiresome" Bush supporters.

naaa
it wasn't the political thing that got me out of here, it was the constant attack by your buddies and you against christians

Bronco_Beerslug
07-10-2006, 07:06 AM
naaa
it wasn't the political thing that got me out of here, it was the constant attack by your buddies and you against christians
;D Who are my "buddies" you are referring to? And how does questioning "Christians" and their beliefs keep you from here?

Mile High Shack
07-10-2006, 07:07 AM
;D Who are my "buddies" you are referring to? And how does questioning "Christians" and their beliefs keep you from here?

difference between questioning and being downright nasty

Traveler
07-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Dumb idea of the month.

I didn't read this entire thread. That said, I agree with FS#27, there's no need for a mod. No need for attacks to get personal either! It's okay to argue one's position. Just beware to taking it to gutter level.

I've been called a bigot and the person doesn't even know me. Kinda ridiculous to make views on this forum personal. Everyone pretty much knows things get heated here. I suggest folks just remember to step back when things get a little too "hot".

TJ, again my personal opinion is leave this forum free flowing unless it becomes too much of an annoyance. If ever that is the case, then my suggestion would be too shut down the forum entirely.

We all need to remember the Mane is TJ's baby. He doesn't have to put up with any of the things that have nothing to do with the Broncos.

smalltowngrll
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
I find it quite interesting that a political forum poster wants a moderator! That almost sounds like an oxymoron, to me. The first time a mod tries to put your post in check you'll hear the cries of "Free Speach" being threatened, or that mod will be personally attacked.

It's tiresome to debate with some in this place because if you don't agree with the issues of another poster, they pull out terms that attack you personally rather than just realizing that there is not going to be agreement on the issue. It's just not worth the headache. I'd rather put my political/relegious time and energy where it will be more useful!

Arkansas Bronco
07-10-2006, 07:12 AM
I hate politics, the only reason I am here is because of the spam I got. Let me mod this place I would be happy to ban everyone ;D j/k
This board does nothing for me I come to this place for one reason and that is the Broncos. So do what ever you think best TJ it is yours so realy who can bitch?

Smiling Assassin27
07-10-2006, 07:21 AM
i vote 'Yea' for nuking the room but trust TJ's judgment on this.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-10-2006, 07:23 AM
difference between questioning and being downright nasty
Ah, so you're feelings were hurt? How is something "nasty" in your view?

alkemical
07-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't have time to fully read each post, but i will take time to comment.

I usually don't understand why certain people on this board can't really evolve past slander upon each other. I have taken part in such actions so i'm as much to blame as them. I enabled the behaviour.

I also use profanity at times. I try to use it as emphasis or humor, but have recenty tried to leave it to that and not litter it so often in my typing/speech.

However, I do have some ideas for criteria that i may prepare and post. Or maybe, this would be a good time to write a "constitution" for the WRP board.....

RunByDesign
07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I, for one, think that the hilarity of this forum contributes to the overall greatness of this site. The back and forth nature of the dialogue would be sorely missed by me, as often times, though not the most regular of contributors, I find this the only stop for my browsing.

A time out during family hours might help limit the erosion of the 'family atmosphere' and give regulars time to comtemplate their retorts.

An all out axing of the forum is unnecessary, IMO.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I'll repeat what I said earlier a little differently this time. When you come in here, you have to pass a WARNING sign on the front door that ought to clue you in that this place is populated by...shall we say...somewhat less than civil human beings...and that you ought to be aware of the fact that nobody's in here baby sitting.

Now suppose you stroll down the block one night and happen upon something that looks like this in your neighbors yard:

http://www.coachteed.com/BoxerCentral/images/Beware%20of%20the%20dog.jpg

A smart chap might conclude that if he decides to hop the fence and poke Brutus in the eye with a stick he might get his butt chewed off. So if you decide to go ahead and do so anyway...are you going to ring the door bell and whine to the owner that his big doggie bit a chunk oughta your ***?

I think not.

TheDave
07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Whatever....

(sorry that's all i've got on this topic)

alkemical
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey dave, we can just make me Ruler. I promise i'll be fair to all.....

smalltowngrll
07-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I'll repeat what I said earlier a little differently this time. When you come in here, you have to pass a WARNING sign on the front door that ought to clue you in that this place is populated by...shall we say...somewhat less than civil human beings...and that you ought to be aware of the fact that nobody's in here baby sitting.

Now suppose you stroll down the block one night and happen upon something that looks like this in your neighbors yard:

A smart chap might conclude that if he decides to hop the fence and poke Brutus in the eye with a stick he might get his butt chewed off. So if you decide to go ahead and do so anyway...are you going to ring the door bell and whine to the owner that his big doggie bit a chunk oughta your ***?

I think not.

In this day and age...nope, you just sue the dog owner and take him for all he has! lol j/k

Seriously, though, I'd rather keep the un-civil conversations here, seperated from the main boards. That way, if I choose to come in here, then I choose to come in here. On that same note, I also think that if you CHOOSE to post in here, you CHOOSE to put your own neck out on a limb and have no business complaining to TJ or any other mod about personal attacks on you...whether they are right or wrong or uncalled for. Personally, I'm not a glutton for punishment! ;D

TheDave
07-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Hey dave, we can just make me Ruler. I promise i'll be fair to all.....

Fine by me... just don't ban me when i disagree with the whole Bigfoot got abducted by aliens and was really the second gunman on the grassy knoll who later filmed the bogus moon walk video...;)

alkemical
07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Fine by me... just don't ban me when i disagree with the whole Bigfoot got abducted by aliens and was really the second gunman on the grassy knoll who later filmed the bogus moon walk video...;)

No, i'll just be more akin to the queen of hearts law of rule: off with yer head i say!

Garcia Bronco
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
I think the problem is sometimes...emotions run high..and rather than discussing something...two enities are flingging crap at each other. This can potentially be a problem for the owner of the website. So don't get uppity with TJ when he says there needs to be rules of engagement. The reason this works at all for these types of discussions is because we aren't in each others presence. But typically...WRP type topics don't do well with live company. Make an effort to be good natured even when you disagree with another.

Remember...the secret to working with another is to at times be able to tell the other to go to hell...but make them feel good about the trip.

Saddletramp
07-10-2006, 09:24 AM
In this day and age...nope, you just sue the dog owner and take him for all he has! lol j/k

Seriously, though, I'd rather keep the un-civil conversations here, seperated from the main boards. That way, if I choose to come in here, then I choose to come in here. On that same note, I also think that if you CHOOSE to post in here, you CHOOSE to put your own neck out on a limb and have no business complaining to TJ or any other mod about personal attacks on you...whether they are right or wrong or uncalled for. Personally, I'm not a glutton for punishment! ;D
The problem is they dont stay here. They runover to the main forum and everywhere else. And, no personal attack is ever called for.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't have time to fully read each post, but i will take time to comment.

I usually don't understand why certain people on this board can't really evolve past slander upon each other. I have taken part in such actions so i'm as much to blame as them. I enabled the behaviour.

I also use profanity at times. I try to use it as emphasis or humor, but have recenty tried to leave it to that and not litter it so often in my typing/speech.

However, I do have some ideas for criteria that i may prepare and post. Or maybe, this would be a good time to write a "constitution" for the WRP board.....

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I leave for a weekend and you all screw up everything. :nono:

Taco if you want I can clean this up real quick. I'll send you a list of people to ban. ;D

TheDave
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
The problem is they dont stay here. They runover to the main forum and everywhere else. And, no personal attack is ever called for.

I would love to see a list of who is complaining.... Yeah there is alot of figer pointing and name calling around here, but no more than when i found this place a couple of years ago.

Something tells me there is more complaining going on behind the scenes and that's why the extra attention is is being focused on all of us who use this forum...

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I dont think Ive ever complained about anyone or any posts. Who is the person who is doing that???

alkemical
07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't complain. I'm adult enough to realize what goes on in here.

But for some people, not being offended is the only freedom they do want.

Hogan11
07-10-2006, 09:45 AM
I see so we can throw out personal insults at Mock all day , call him a molester , Drunk and a guy who bangs his cat ..................Kinda murky on the difference there Hogan

Nope....those doing that to Mock should get the 30 days as well as he should if he resorts to personal attacks. No murky whatever, the same rule should be applied to the board as a whole with no forum/individual above it's ramifications......and it should be enforced without exception.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Nope....those doing that to Mock should get the 30 days as well as he should if he resorts to personal attacks. No murky whatever, the same rule should be applied to the board as a whole with no forum/individual above it's ramifications......and it should be enforced without exception.

Another example Hogan, on "why doesn't the constitution work"......

Taco John
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
This forum doesn't need a moderator. Hell, it doesn't need "hard and fast" rules for a moderator to enforce. It just needs a group of people who respect eachother enough that when someone gets out of line and starts getting vulgar, they step up and put that person in check.

I am calling the community out here. You are all being put in check here. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then what is the point of having the forum here in the first place?

alkemical
07-10-2006, 10:06 AM
What power does one have beyond "calling someone out" have? I've called out a few people and nothing changes TJ. I by no means am perfect - but really most of the vulgarity IMO comes not from lack of communication, but lack of listening.

For the most part, i live in a dichotomy. I want to help enlighten people, but also feel sad that the human race seems doomed to keep falling on our sword time and time again.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
What power does one have beyond "calling someone out" have? I've called out a few people and nothing changes TJ. I by no means am perfect - but really most of the vulgarity IMO comes not from lack of communication, but lack of listening.

That's my question as well. So somebody starts being vulgar and we tell them to stop...like that's going to work. And if we report them then we accused of being rats and complaining and eventually that list will get high enough to can the forum.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
What a bunch of Bunk.

I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Most of the online sports boards I've seen on the web have a section where people play rough. One of the dumbest things going is the board...I can't remember which one...maybe Miami's finheaven.com?...where if you say the slightest thing against the party line...you're banned. It's a joke.

Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun. And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture. If we ban somebody everytime a personal attack is used pretty soon you'll either have nobody left in here or this place will be just another haven for pansies and whiners.

People just need to get a little thicker skin if they're going to post in here and quit wimpering like a bunch of little girl scouts everytime somebody bloodies your nose. The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Well we can all agree that once everyone on here wakes up and realizes Hotrods always right there will be much less to fight about.

W*GS
07-10-2006, 10:41 AM
The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.

That rarely works. Some folks don't even realize when they've been toasted - they just keep up the name-calling and personal attacks.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
That rarely works. Some folks don't even realize when they've been toasted - they just keep up the name-calling and personal attacks.

What do you do to enable this behaviour though?

DBruleU
07-10-2006, 10:57 AM
This forum doesn't need a moderator. Hell, it doesn't need "hard and fast" rules for a moderator to enforce. It just needs a group of people who respect eachother enough that when someone gets out of line and starts getting vulgar, they step up and put that person in check.

I am calling the community out here. You are all being put in check here. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then what is the point of having the forum here in the first place?

LOL calling someone out? That will never work. Either you let this room do as they please, and continue doing what they have been doing, or you just nuke the entire room and not have to worry/deal with it again.

I agree with BB, and some other posters, this thread was pretty worthless. Nothing here will change, unless its completely gone.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
LOL calling someone out? That will never work. Either you let this room do as they please, and continue doing what they have been doing, or you just nuke the entire room and not have to worry/deal with it again.

I agree with BB, and some other posters, this thread was pretty worthless. Nothing here will change, unless its completely gone.

Or unless people make a concerted effort to make the change(s).

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
I do get rather tired of the cop out(s):

It's always been that way, that's the way it is, etc.

WE, YOU, THEM, US - has an opportunity to learn from each other and while i think it's might white of us to stand on our larauls and say "we attack with words, and ideas".

What's the score, what's next?

Who here is willing to challenge themself, and start changing the world with their own perception of the universe?

I know I am.

TheDave
07-10-2006, 11:05 AM

WE, YOU, THEM, US - has an opportunity to learn from each other and while i think it's might white of us to stand on our larauls and say "we attack with words, and ideas".

Who here is willing to challenge themself, and start changing the world with their own perception of the universe?

I know I am.

Alright fine... I believe in Bigfoot... Happy ;D

DBruleU
07-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Or unless people make a concerted effort to make the change(s).

Yeah, but that effort will last all of 2 days, and then it's back to the same old WRP forum it always has been.

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah, but that effort will last all of 2 days, and then it's back to the same old WRP forum it always has been.

I think it could change for more then 2 days but if the dems fail to take congress or lose another presidential election watch for some to completly meltdown Ha!

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:16 AM

And what do you do to enable this behaviour?

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Alright fine... I believe in Bigfoot... Happy ;D

LOL dave....

Submission isn't so bad..... ;)

Crushaholic
07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun.

There's a problem with this theory. Here, we aren't really solving any problems. We just hash and rehash the same arguments until someone does something that's the equivalent of crying "uncle".

And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture.

Why does it have to be this way? Why can't people have a debate without resorting to namecalling just because they can hide behind a computer?

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
There's a problem with this theory. Here, we aren't really solving any problems. We just hash and rehash the same arguments until someone does something that's the equivalent of crying "uncle".

Why does it have to be this way? Why can't people have a debate without resorting to namecalling just because they can hide behind a computer?

Originally Posted by amesj523

I know I am.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
crush - per your rep comments.

I have these old educational movies and one always struck me "it's not us, it's the neighbors".

how true, how true.

Saddletramp
07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
because people dont care.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
because people dont care.

Or is it a reaction akin to the anus clenching up when proposed with something that is outside of what they think and/or believe?

Taco John
07-10-2006, 12:32 PM
The people saying "it can't be done," to me, are the people who dont care one way or another if this forum is around or not.

The people saying, "it starts with me," are the people I'm looking for here to step up. Nice to see some of them piping into the discussion. Those are the only people who will save this forum. Otherwise, it's not worth the headache. I'm not here to babysit, and I'm not going to appoint a babysitter in this forum and make them responsible for this mess.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 12:46 PM
The people saying "it can't be done," to me, are the people who dont care one way or another if this forum is around or not.

The people saying, "it starts with me," are the people I'm looking for here to step up. Nice to see some of them piping into the discussion. Those are the only people who will save this forum. Otherwise, it's not worth the headache. I'm not here to babysit, and I'm not going to appoint a babysitter in this forum and make them responsible for this mess.

TJ,

Beyond those of us who are 'stepping up'. (which IMO you are right and as noted has been stated by some of us - the overall point on those at fault, etc)

But if i may ask, since most of us are adults:

May i ask who is complaining (not nec. user names, but are they from 'both sides' - "all sides", etc?)? What are the nature complaints? Those people that are complaining, do they do behaviour that enables a retaliation that then offends them?

I'm more of a cultural psycologist - and i'm trying to get people to understand that the old saying 'for every action there is an equal reaction' applies to EVERYTHING -

Amesj believes in the laws of equivalent exchange.

Hogan11
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
What a bunch of Bunk.

I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Most of the online sports boards I've seen on the web have a section where people play rough. One of the dumbest things going is the board...I can't remember which one...maybe Miami's finheaven.com?...where if you say the slightest thing against the party line...you're banned. It's a joke.

Political mudslinging and downright viciousness are an American tradition that goes all the way back to the founding fathers. It's part of our political heritage to verbally beat the crap out of each other and then decide things with a ballot rather than a gun. And besides...the internet's adopted a code of behavior all it's own. Calling somebody a fool, jerk, nitwit, a******, moron, scumbag, sh**head, or b**ch in the real world will usually get you popped in the nose. Online manners are a bit different. When you post on these boards you should EXPECT to get called names and abused. It's part and parcel of the internet culture. If we ban somebody everytime a personal attack is used pretty soon you'll either have nobody left in here or this place will be just another haven for pansies and whiners.

People just need to get a little thicker skin if they're going to post in here and quit wimpering like a bunch of little girl scouts everytime somebody bloodies your nose. The best defense against personal attacks is to know your facts and be able to articulate them in a way that shuts your opponents mouths and makes them flee back to the main board or risk looking stupid.

Bunk indeed.

I thought this Board was trying to be much more than just an online community, as the tailgates attest to. The Boards' rules are pretty clear to me.....to suggest that certain forums or individuals should be above them subverts them and renders them meaningless as a whole. It reduces the Mane to being just another board for internet tough guys....a total cliche.

Whatever....I'm beyond the "internet badass" thing..in fact, I find it to be rather childish, but I also understand that it's some people's form of "release"..so there you go. If the forum goes anarchist and the rules are selective, then fine by me......I'll roll with whatever happens but taking forum rules seriously? That will be a stretch and a half if this goes down like it apparently is.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Bunk indeed.

I thought this Board was trying to be much more than just an online community, as the tailgates attest to. The Boards' rules are pretty clear to me.....to suggest that certain forums or individuals should be above them subverts them and renders them meaningless as a whole. It reduces the Mane to being just another board for internet tough guys....a total cliche.

Whatever....I'm beyond the "internet badass" thing..in fact, I find it to be rather childish, but I also understand that it's some people's form of "release"..so there you go. If the forum goes anarchist and the rules are selective, then fine by me......I'll roll with whatever happens but taking forum rules seriously? That will be a stretch and a half if this goes down like it apparently is.

I'm actually more appalled by people who live and breath the world according to others hogan. So those people who post here, who don't really formulate their own thoughts, and are unwilling to let the rigidness of their confined space become relaxed to see that it's all comprimise.

I understand that true enlightened anarchy will not happen as the status quo is presented in here in it's grandiose imagery.

Hogan11
07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm actually more appalled by people who live and breath the world according to others hogan. So those people who post here, who don't really formulate their own thoughts, and are unwilling to let the rigidness of their confined space become relaxed to see that it's all comprimise.

I understand that true enlightened anarchy will not happen as the status quo is presented in here in it's grandiose imagery.

When it comes to personal attacks.....rigidness of the forum rules shouldn't even be an issue.

Rock Chalk
07-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Slug seems a bit right-leaning, but I heartily second all three!

PLEASE don't shut it down, TJ ... I've learned a lot in here. (Albeit, mostly I've learned how to distinguish between BS and fact ... :spit: )
What are yu smoking?

Taco John
07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
TJ,

Beyond those of us who are 'stepping up'. (which IMO you are right and as noted has been stated by some of us - the overall point on those at fault, etc)

But if i may ask, since most of us are adults:

May i ask who is complaining (not nec. user names, but are they from 'both sides' - "all sides", etc?)? What are the nature complaints? Those people that are complaining, do they do behaviour that enables a retaliation that then offends them?

I'm more of a cultural psycologist - and i'm trying to get people to understand that the old saying 'for every action there is an equal reaction' applies to EVERYTHING -

Amesj believes in the laws of equivalent exchange.

I'm not going to single out people one way or the other.

But to comment on your question, the complaints that I get, almost always the root of the issue is with unecessary vulgarity. For the most part, people that complain about the vulgarity don't participate in it. (Though I have gotten a complaints before from a vulgar poster about their religion being attacked... Go figure.)

If you go to a park with your family and someone is being beligerent, vulgar, and generally disruptive, people step up to that person and let them know that their behaviour is out of line. Usually that works, but sometimes things escalate and it's necessary to call the cops. But if the people don't take measures against the beligerents, eventually the park turns into a haven for the beligerent.

The bottom line is, I believe that this community has the potential to function without the need for moderators, but instead by internal social interactions. Respect being one of the primary social factors.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
When it comes to personal attacks.....rigidness of the forum rules shouldn't even be an issue.

Hogan i agree.

I know i get leway for my comments on certain things (i try to attack something 'more' than person though).

Just as i know certain posters of this board, i am not so civil with. Mostly due to my loss of paitience with their inability to really discuss, instead of peacocking around.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM

But to comment on your question, the complaints that I get, almost always the root of the issue is with unecessary vulgarity.

If you go to a park with your family and someone is being beligerent, vulgar, and generally disruptive, people step up to that person and let them know that their behaviour is out of line. Usually that works, but sometimes things escalate and it's necessary to call the cops. But if the people don't take measures against the beligerents, eventually the park turns into a haven for the beligerent.

The bottom line is, I believe that this community has the potential to function without the need for moderators, but instead by internal social interactions. Respect being one of the primary social factors.

TJ,

Note i wasn't asking for people's names. I just want to know if those that complain about vulgarity, are the ones that enable such?

I for one, know i can be very vulgar and probably have had complaints issued to you about my..... poetic ;) use of words to attack various institutions/groups/etc.

I try to keep away from individuals, but again - equivalent exchange.

Just as those christians that may see that i don't really attack their religion any more so than they push on mine. Not to mention - i believe i've stood up for the 'right to believe in anything' - just as long as individuals mind the fact that my intellectual headspace is mine. No matter the reality they live in, i do not share the same.

But this goes for any and all - What you BELIEVE isn't real to someone else. I know it's so hard to understand. Don't PUSH, if you don't want to be PUSHED.

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
This is starting to remind me of a time in grade school when they made us all sit in the gym and listen to some lady explain how to use the I statement. Maybe we could all just start using the "I" statement. That way nobody gets their feelings hurt. Heres how it works for those that dont know. Ill use LABF as an example.

"Look LABF I like your avatar but I dont care for it when you tell me I lick Bush's balls"

Now lets all hug and have some milk and cookies

alkemical
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM

I guess it's up to each person. It might be like knowingly lying only to say you are forgiven the moment it's done, eh?

I know it's a dig - but i'm making an example here.

IMO this is a case of VOIDING responsibility to do the 'right' thing.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Actually, I'm not so sure it's true that we don't solve any problems. I think it's true that people won't generally let it be known that they've reconsidered their position in the light of what an opponent is sayng, because ego tends to get in the way, but I've had a few people PM me and respond to things in a way I don't think they would on the public board. We don't always know what somebody's really thinking.
I can't really tell you "why" it's this way...nor am I suggesting it wouldn't be nice if people were more civil, but this is just the way it's always been. Can it change? Possibly...anything is possible. But are you expecting it to?

Falconer
07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Wow! I was only gone since Thursday. What did you all do to piss off TJ like that? :rofl: I do not feel that we should get rid of this forum, as it is useless for me to post on the main board most of the time when there are people like Mediator, Khan, Atlas, Meck, TJ, ... all the way to Bob (testing to see if you pay attention to the main board), who have great takes. I will chime in from time to time when I do not think I am being repetitive.

I do enjoy discussing different ideas with others on this board, whether or not we come down on the same side of the fence. I try never to be vulgar or obscene in any conversation I have. Slug and I had a real disagreement just last week and even though he still follows his misguided ways ( ;) ), neither of us had to resort to anything more than trying to get our point across in a civil manner.

Bronco_Beerslug
07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Look. I'm not going to burden anyone else with the job of being a mod here. That's not a desireable option at all. And Beerslug, calling me a hypocrite for doing my part and leading by example is amusing, but hardly valid.

Like I said before, you must have confused me with someone else.

Taco John
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Like I said before, you must have confused me with someone else.

I did. My bad. It was BroncoBuff. *slap fore head*

alkemical
07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I can't really tell you "why" it's this way...nor am I suggesting it wouldn't be nice if people were more civil, but this is just the way it's always been. Can it change? Possibly...anything is possible. But are you expecting it to?

I am. I believe there is always positive change, if i didn't - i'd shoot myself in the head tomorrow - and that's not a joke.

Crushaholic
07-10-2006, 02:27 PM

We can always strive towards that goal. Saying that it's the "way it's always been" is the equivalent of giving up on people being civil, IMO...

elsid13
07-10-2006, 02:28 PM
So are we'll holding hands and singing Sweet Chariot yet????

People get over it. It very easy, stand up and treat folks on this section on the mane, like you want to be treated. Remember that rule they taught you in Kindergarten, it still applies. And I know that there enough good people on the board that we all understand that and can act that way.

Plus easy up on TJ, man got enough on his mind without people whining (first born). Heck he get enough of that from Popps on football, he doesnt need the rest of us on to pile on.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 02:31 PM
We can always strive towards that goal. Saying that it's the "way it's always been" is the equivalent of giving up on people being civil, IMO...

Exactamundo!

Mile High Shack
07-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Exactamundo!

screw you buddy!!! :thumbsup:

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 02:49 PM

TJ...there are two things that bug me about this; first, I just glanced at the main board a while back and noticed the thread about "sucking off the Cowbooys" is still up there. I don't get it...this is not vulgar? A reference to oral sex is sitting plain as day on the TITLE of a thread on the main site and instead you're focusing just on what goes on in here? What's up with that? I see tons of stuff, including a lot of these avitars of nearly nude porn stars...that are IMO... innappropriate...possible "vulgar", to use your word, especially given their context in plain view for what is supposed to be a sports forum, but yet the politics/religion thread is the one that's out of control? I'm not understanding that and wish you would explain it.

Second, if this board is out of control (I'm not sure it is) it's probably due to the rules YOU INSTITUTED. I keep mentioning this and it keeps getting ignored, but the sign on the front door says WARNING... in capital letters, followed by a statement that the reader should beware because this room is not policed in the same manner as the others. TJ...you're the one (I assume) who made the decision to characterize the board from the start as a place that's not moderated like the other forums, so why are you now trying to figure out why this board has departed from the (supposedly) more stringent standards set on the other forums. If people are in here causing a ruckus, it's because they were given permission for the idea to begin with that this was a place where that was OK. To come back later while the WARNING sign still hangs on the front door and pose the question about why there's vulgarity, etc...in here seems wierd to me. What did you expect when you invited people to enter into a place where it's noted ahead of time that nobody's really paying attention to what goes on in here? That doesn't make any sense.

Finally, maybe I'm one of the people you think are saying "it can't be done"...and therefore don't care...but in reality I like this site and don't want it shut down. I'm not so much opposed to standards, though I think they're probably less neccessary than you suggest...just DOUBLE standards. I'll bet if I search the other threads I'll find dozens...maybe hundreds...of posts where vulgarity and personal attacks are being launched. In fact the first time I posted on the OM it was about Mo Clarett being a punk and you jumped all over me for it with "idiot" and other personal attacks. I turned out to be right...but that's another story. Mainly, I just realized right there that the culture of the board permitted personal attacks. Having said that...I think that in general I've tried to remain above that stuff because I know it's not productive nor does it get your point accross, though there are a couple of instances that come to mind where I know I didn't exactly measure up to that standard either so I'm not saying I'm blameless either. Overall...I don't care for the personal attacks and vulgarity, but I think I care for the subjective censorship standards and vague references to certain problems creating a shut-down situation even less; especially when what is happening is going on everywhere else and when it's specifically been stated this forum is the place for this stuff.

If you wanted this forum to be civil, then the main board should be civil also, and the invitation to enter a freee-for-all hanging on the front door should be taken down. How do you expect me to see this changing, when the rules at the front gate plainly state that it won't?

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Very well put footsteps.

Im not going to defend Mock but talk about someone who gets pot shots taken at him at every turn. I lurk and post on every area of the mane and would say the main forum has some of the most hateful nasty posts on the whole site.

Taco John
07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Yup. It's posts like that which make me wonder why I bother with this subforum in the first place.

Ask everybody here, and everybody's got the answer. And every answer is different. I knew the minute that I brought it up, the fingers were going to start flying, and that I would get a fair share of them pointed at me.

I'm sticking to my guns here. I reject the notion that the members of this forum don't bear some personal responsibility for the tone of this place. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then this forum is more of a distraction than it's worth and it's time to cut it from the healthy vine.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

alkemical
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
screw you buddy!!! :thumbsup:

lol MHS -

I'm sure the dung ball i have to push in the next life is probably pretty big... ;)

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
So your just going to flat out reject footsteps points that there is atleast as much of the same thing on the main board???

Im not trying to piss you off TJ but I disagree that this forum is much if any worse then some of the stuff that happens top side.

Its your board do what you wish but Im sticking to my guns that its not nearly as bad in the WRP forum as your making it out to be.

Im starting to think one or two people got their feelings hurt in an exchange and have been bugging Taco so much hes done with it. Is that close TJ???

alkemical
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Yup. It's posts like that which make me wonder why I bother with this subforum in the first place.

Ask everybody here, and everybody's got the answer. And every answer is different. I knew the minute that I brought it up, the fingers were going to start flying, and that I would get a fair share of them pointed at me.

I'm sticking to my guns here. I reject the notion that the members of this forum don't bear some personal responsibility for the tone of this place. If you want this forum to survive, then I suggest you take a little pride in this place, and speak up when someone starts getting vulgar, regardless of politics. If you guys can't find it in you to show that you care on that basic level, then this forum is more of a distraction than it's worth and it's time to cut it from the healthy vine.

TJ,

I'm not saying you are wrong or right. But there are double standards that go on with this place, and i have benifitted from them (i'm sure).

the tenative points of vulgarity do exist on the WHOLE board.

I don't have the answers for everyone, only myself.

But i'm not blaming you for anything - but if you want a heavy handed approach make sure it isn't JUST on this part of your BBS.

~amesj

alkemical
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh -

For those of you that get upset and ticked off.

Why not voice them? WHY don't you call people out? Are you afraid to speak out on your own?

If it's something really bad, PM me - i won't be able to 'punish' anyone - but i'd be willing to mediate. I am a gemani. ;)

Taco John
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Very well put footsteps.

Im not going to defend Mock but talk about someone who gets pot shots taken at him at every turn. I lurk and post on every area of the mane and would say the main forum has some of the most hateful nasty posts on the whole site.

Yeah, can you show me a post where you stook up for him in the main forum when someone did that, or are you just bringing it up now? I can't remember the last time I got a complaint that someone attacked Mock. Seems everybody just accepts the fact that Mock made his bed, and now has to lie in it.

I don't care for the personal attacks, but I also don't care for Mock getting drunk and posting stupid stuff in the past creating the headache in the first place. People like Mock make headaches for Admins like me because he's a popular guy with people who either like him or hate him. When it gets out of control, I bring it up with the people who are getting out of hand. But Mock isn't getting attacked because of all of the sweet things he's said to people.

The bottom line is that my style of moderating is to give people enough rope to hang themselves. People will interpret that in different ways, and draw whatever conclusions about the effectiveness of it. I've found it to be particularly successful in my experience.

Hotrod
07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, can you show me a post where you stook up for him in the main forum when someone did that, or are you just bringing it up now? I can't remember the last time I got a complaint that someone attacked Mock. Seems everybody just accepts the fact that Mock made his bed, and now has to lie in it.

I don't care for the personal attacks, but I also don't care for Mock getting drunk and posting stupid stuff in the past creating the headache in the first place. People like Mock make headaches for Admins like me because he's a popular guy with people who either like him or hate him. When it gets out of control, I bring it up with the people who are getting out of hand. But Mock isn't getting attacked because of all of the sweet things he's said to people.

The bottom line is that my style of moderating is to give people enough rope to hang themselves. People will interpret that in different ways, and draw whatever conclusions about the effectiveness of it. I've found it to be particularly successful in my experience.

Your correct TJ Ive never complained to you when Mock is getting attacked just as I dont recall complaining to you ever. Like I said its your baby do what you want. Im sure if I was getting tons of PMs and other nasty grams over a sub-forum that was un-important to me I'd consider yanking it also. Im certainly not saying your wrong I simply think your over reacting.

Either way the season will be here soon and I wont be on the WRP forum much anyway.

RunByDesign
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Hammer, nail, head...as it were.

BroncoBuff
07-10-2006, 06:21 PM
That's the best idea yet.

Saddletramp
07-10-2006, 06:22 PM
TJ...there are two things that bug me about this; first, I just glanced at the main board a while back and noticed the thread about "sucking off the Cowbooys" is still up there. I don't get it...this is not vulgar? A reference to oral sex is sitting plain as day on the TITLE of a thread on the main site and instead you're focusing just on what goes on in here? What's up with that? I see tons of stuff, including a lot of these avitars of nearly nude porn stars...that are IMO... innappropriate...possible "vulgar", to use your word, especially given their context in plain view for what is supposed to be a sports forum, but yet the politics/religion thread is the one that's out of control? I'm not understanding that and wish you would explain it.

Second, if this board is out of control (I'm not sure it is) it's probably due to the rules YOU INSTITUTED. I keep mentioning this and it keeps getting ignored, but the sign on the front door says WARNING... in capital letters, followed by a statement that the reader should beware because this room is not policed in the same manner as the others. TJ...you're the one (I assume) who made the decision to characterize the board from the start as a place that's not moderated like the other forums, so why are you now trying to figure out why this board has departed from the (supposedly) more stringent standards set on the other forums. If people are in here causing a ruckus, it's because they were given permission for the idea to begin with that this was a place where that was OK. To come back later while the WARNING sign still hangs on the front door and pose the question about why there's vulgarity, etc...in here seems wierd to me. What did you expect when you invited people to enter into a place where it's noted ahead of time that nobody's really paying attention to what goes on in here? That doesn't make any sense.

Finally, maybe I'm one of the people you think are saying "it can't be done"...and therefore don't care...but in reality I like this site and don't want it shut down. I'm not so much opposed to standards, though I think they're probably less neccessary than you suggest...just DOUBLE standards. I'll bet if I search the other threads I'll find dozens...maybe hundreds...of posts where vulgarity and personal attacks are being launched. In fact the first time I posted on the OM it was about Mo Clarett being a punk and you jumped all over me for it with "idiot" and other personal attacks. I turned out to be right...but that's another story. Mainly, I just realized right there that the culture of the board permitted personal attacks. Having said that...I think that in general I've tried to remain above that stuff because I know it's not productive nor does it get your point accross, though there are a couple of instances that come to mind where I know I didn't exactly measure up to that standard either so I'm not saying I'm blameless either. Overall...I don't care for the personal attacks and vulgarity, but I think I care for the subjective censorship standards and vague references to certain problems creating a shut-down situation even less; especially when what is happening is going on everywhere else and when it's specifically been stated this forum is the place for this stuff.

If you wanted this forum to be civil, then the main board should be civil also, and the invitation to enter a freee-for-all hanging on the front door should be taken down. How do you expect me to see this changing, when the rules at the front gate plainly state that it won't?
Sorry TJ but he has a very valid point. An Excellent point to be exact.

DBruleU
07-10-2006, 06:45 PM

I dont think I post often enough to enable anything. Nor do I call people names.

DBruleU
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM

Further evidence this thread never should have been started. It really didnt make sense from the start. Good points.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 08:10 PM

You still haven't defined what you mean by "vulgar."

What words or behaviors, specifically, are included in the definition?

Do you mean swearing? (I thought the auto filter took care of that.)

Do you mean pix of scantily-clad women?

The worst thing you can do, IMO, is to prescribe this sort of community/consensus decision making while leaving "vulgar" undefined (insofar as everyone has his or her own conception of what "vulgar" includes.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM

I think not.

:thumbsup: ^5

Post of the year!

Pezman
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Not to poopoo Footstep since I like the dude, but IIRC, didnt he get the hook for a month for posting a gay porn picture that had two political figures chopped in there? Cuz I'm just saying ROFL!

Spider
07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Problem is People bite off more then they can chew ......... then when it gets to rough , they run crying ........I dont hold back , you post somthing stupid , I will let you know .......but this Idea of People arguing politics should hold hands and suck up to each other , is a fairy tale ...........
Make your opinion defend it . if you cant oh well............

cbs1177
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Wow okay first of all I have developed a thick skin since at the club I work b/c the old old bridge ladies complain about everything. I have grown tougher b/c of it. I mean they complain about everything lettuce not being green enough or mustard not yellower enough. Also I notice if you complain every day and nite your complaints don't really amount to much. I say save your complaints until it is really really important and then TJ will listen. Also I tend to help those members that gave me a 100 dollars at Christmas time rather then the free loaders. So sad to say if you want to persaude TJ then donate a million bucks or else. LOL. Seriously I try to live by the 24 hour rule if it still bothers me after 24 hours then I let who ever offended me know else I chalk it up to personal feelings. Also Pm the person and work it amongst ourselves not depend on a third party.

Spider
07-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow okay first of all I have developed a thick skin since at the club I work b/c the old old bridge ladies complain about everything. I have grown tougher b/c of it. I mean they complain about everything lettuce not being green enough or mustard not yellower enough. Also I notice if you complain every day and nite your complaints don't really amount to much. I say save your complaints until it is really really important and then TJ will listen. Also I tend to help those members that gave me a 100 dollars at Christmas time rather then the free loaders. So sad to say if you want to persaude TJ then donate a million bucks or else. LOL. Seriously I try to live by the 24 hour rule if it still bothers me after 24 hours then I let who ever offended me know else I chalk it up to personal feelings. Also Pm the person and work it amongst ourselves not depend on a third party.
What alot of people cant do is leave what goes on in the WRP , and go up top and talk ball ......... Even if Errand was up talking ball , I could talkl with him without getting into an argument ....... Down here not a chance in hell of that happening .....
you just have to put the fighting down here behind you when you go to the main forum .......

Rascal
07-10-2006, 09:20 PM
People...

Quit bitching about it. It's not going to do any good but piss of TJ more. It's obvious something happened or has been happening that pissed him off. He's made it clear he won't install new moderators for a full time basis and will rely on the forum to moderate itself. So the next time you see somebody being an asshole, report their ass, and encourage others to ignore them and let the mods punish them. That simple. If it doesn't get them banned or punished on the main forum, then it won't here either. Act civil and all will be well...savy?

Adios.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 09:26 PM
It's obvious something happened or has been happening that pissed him off.

It puts us all at a disadvantage from the outset if we don't even know what it was that rubbed him the wrong way.

How are we supposed to avoid doing whatever it is if we don't even know what it is?

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Not to poopoo Footstep since I like the dude, but IIRC, didnt he get the hook for a month for posting a gay porn picture that had two political figures chopped in there? Cuz I'm just saying ROFL!
Affirmed...though I argued (in vain) at the time that the pic in question was more cartoon than reality, but the point's certainly well taken...and further evidence that a certain sense of confusion and ambiguity exists, since I'm sure you'd agree that I'd not have done so had I been clear on the idea I was crossing a line that would get me banned.

Perhaps the hundreds of nearly nude porn stars, graphic references to oral sex, and liberal use of various "vulgar" words ranging from the "F" to the "P"...had me a bit dissoriented and uncertain about what was and was not deemed acceptable.

Hence, we return to LABF's request for more specific clarity, and I'm only to happy to serve as exhibit A on why such is needed. ;D

Rascal
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
It puts us all at a disadvantage from the outset if we don't even know what it was that rubbed him the wrong way.

How are we supposed to avoid doing whatever it is if we don't even know what it is?

No offense but it's pretty obvious what he is talking about. This entire thread is an example of what he is talking about IMO (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43714).

Rascal
07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Affirmed...though I argued (in vain) at the time that the pic in question was more cartoon than reality, but the point's certainly well taken...and further evidence that a certain sense of confusion and ambiguity exists, since I'm sure you'd agree that I'd not have done so had I been clear on the idea I was crossing a line that would get me banned.

Perhaps the hundreds of nearly nude porn stars, graphic references to oral sex, and liberal use of various "vulgar" words ranging from the "F" to the "P"...had me a bit dissoriented and uncertain about what was and was not deemed acceptable.

Hence, we return to LABF's request for more specific clarity, and I'm only to happy to serve as exhibit A on why such is needed. ;D

Turning off avatar's, sigs, and pictures is a good idea. IMO TJ needs to crack the whip on that but it's his call.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
No offense but it's pretty obvious what he is talking about. This entire thread is an example of what he is talking about IMO (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43714).

No, it isn't "obvious" insofar as everyone has his or her own idea of what is "offensive," "vulgar," etc.

It's a mistake to assume that everyone shares the same idea or understanding about such things.

Hence the need for specific guidelines.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Well look at that thread...it's safe to say what happened there is just exactly what he is talking about.

I don't think TJ wants to have it written down in stone so that he can provide some leniancy to the mods and what not. You start down that path and soon you end up with that dolphins forum.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Looking at the thread you linked here, I find some of the comments very distasteful (see comments about Cindy Sheehan) but I tolerated them in the interest of being consistent re: free speech. As disagreeable as I found these comments, I didn't run crying to Big Brother over them.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I just finished the whole thread...and...that's it? I'm not seeing "vulgarity" there anywhere. Rudness? Sure. Caustic sarcasm? Absolutely.

So what?

Craig Ferguson is on right now...(dude is funny)...and he's saying stuff far more offensive. This thread is actually pretty tame. I don't think this is what TJ's talking about. Then again...I can't be sure.

That's the problem.

cbs1177
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
We haven't felt this passoniate about something since mininium wage thread. I look at it as basically we are all grown up and can vote and drink. We all have had bad days and drunken state of minds. Shot have the time I can't believe some one hasn't called me a freaking idiot on some of the post I wrote while nursing a drink. I really truly don't want TJ to feel burden by running this forum board. If it gets to that point it isn't fun for him any more and becomes a chore. And then who knows he could shut the entire board down b/c it became too much to handle and compliants came every day and it felt like crap to go here any more. Okay that is my work. Let the arrows fly b/c they are coming. Only try not to take one fatally. Anyhow rambling aside. None should burden TJ with hurt feelings or other such riff raff stuff.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Looking at the thread you linked here, I find some of the comments very distasteful (see comments about Cindy Sheehan) but I tolerated them in the interest of being consistent re: free speech. As disagreeable as I found these comments, I didn't run crying to Big Brother over them.

I don't think TJ cares about making insulting or crude comments to people outside the forum, but when the comments are made to posters it crosses the line.

Taco John
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
People...

Quit b****ing about it. It's not going to do any good but piss of TJ more. It's obvious something happened or has been happening that pissed him off. He's made it clear he won't install new moderators for a full time basis and will rely on the forum to moderate itself. So the next time you see somebody being an a-hole, report their ass, and encourage others to ignore them and let the mods punish them. That simple. If it doesn't get them banned or punished on the main forum, then it won't here either. Act civil and all will be well...savy?

Adios.

Post of the year.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think TJ cares about making insulting or crude comments to people outside the forum, but when the comments are made to posters it crosses the line.
It seems to me that what you're speaking of dominates the entire board, and it's been that way since I've been in here. I see entire threads of nothing but unprovoked attacks on Bob, for example. Where was the outcry before now? Personally I don't think people on this board really care about personal attacks. I think most are used to them. There's something more than that in this, but we aren't being told what it is for some reason.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Which brings us back to the original problem.

You can make the case that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, but, in reality, it sometimes does happen (given the nature of politics and religion) despite your best intentions.

IMO, it's better that people vent their sh*t here rather than climbing a water tower with a deer rifle or something.

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM

You can make the case that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, but, in reality, it sometimes does happen (given the nature of politics and religion) despite your best intentions.

IMO, it's better that people vent their sh*t here rather than climbing a water tower with a deer rifle or something.
Agreed...I'm watching Cheers right now...Carla is more abrasive than most of what we do in here...LOL...

ClevelandBronco
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM

When you put it in that context, I kinda see your point.

I don't own a gun, but I'd fight for every American's Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Not that I'd be a lot of help, because...well, I don't own a gun and all.

On second thought, maybe I'll just fight for something like the 19th Amendment and leave you guys who are strapped to figure the rest out yourselves.

Pezman
07-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Agreed...I'm watching Cheers right now...Carla is more abrasive than most of what we do in here...LOL...
I always felt like Spider vs Patch was like watching Carla vs Clavin Ha!

footstepsfrom#27
07-10-2006, 10:31 PM
LOL...Carla makes the show IMO.

BroncoBuff
07-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Post of the year.
Nonsense!

I don't think you get it, TJ ... it's your job to moderate the thing. Dole out warnings/punishments to individuals, like you do everywhere else ... and DEFINE WHAT BEHAVIOR has you threatening to close the room for large parts of the day. Give a link to the posts and/or threads so we can see them. Don't punish the room .... punish the poster (like everywhere else!)

Most of the responses to my e-mail petition (sorry again for the spam aspect) said "oh, TJ's not serious." Well, read the first post in this thread again. He sounds serious.

footsteps is 127% right ... there's worse stuff all over the Board, and all over TV. I agree with the others who feel certain that somebody with influence/friendship with TJ is complaining. I'd like these complaints to see the light of day so they can be responded to. I love this room ... maybe we could put a warning "opt-out" page before you get to the actual room ... like (I've heard) they do on adult sites.

BroncoBuff
07-11-2006, 02:45 AM
The bottom line is that my style of moderating is to give people enough rope to hang themselves.
Sure .... PEOPLE, not an entire room. When you gave Alec 30 days in the picture thread awhile back, you didn't complain to everyone in there, or close the thread ... you dealt with the INDIVIDUAL. Same with Bob, MajikMan, etc, etc...

IMO - this is what's wrong. NOT singling out people is abdicating your role ... and I think you're doing it on purpose because either (1) you've already decided to close it, or (2) you want to leave enough wiggle room to shut it down for the fuzzy reasons you're giving.

Spider
07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
LOL if I had boobies , I would never leave the house ;D

Rascal
07-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Looks like I nailed it on the head:

Me:

"Just looking at the thread there and based on what TJ has said about the board moderating itself. First, it was obvious multiple people were making insulting comments and it came to it's climax with Spider and sactown. Second, instead of telling them to shut up and act civil we had LABF, gunns, and possibly clevelandbronco jump in and make things worse. Instead of insulting the other party in a vulgar discussion tell them both to shut it and if they don't report them. It's pretty simple IMO what TJ is asking for us to do and I just provided an example. Adhere to it and the forum will not be threatened."

TJ, "It's as if you're reading my mind. Or even better, my posts."

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43814&page=2

The thread in discussion is the hunger strike thread.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM

Me:

"Just looking at the thread there and based on what TJ has said about the board moderating itself. First, it was obvious multiple people were making insulting comments and it came to it's climax with Spider and sactown. Second, instead of telling them to shut up and act civil we had LABF, gunns, and possibly clevelandbronco jump in and make things worse. Instead of insulting the other party in a vulgar discussion tell them both to shut it and if they don't report them. It's pretty simple IMO what TJ is asking for us to do and I just provided an example. Adhere to it and the forum will not be threatened."

This post confirms my point that different people have different perceptions about what is or isn't "vulgar" or "decent" or whatever.

I remember the thread in question, and it didn't strike me as all that different from any number of other threads, past and present, on this forum.

I certainly didn't feel that any of the parties in question needed some sort of outside intervention to help them resovle their conflicts or differences.

JMO.

BTW, your post makes it sound all the more likely that sactown was the snitch in this instance. :D

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-11-2006, 06:58 AM

Me:

Hmmm....that's funny: When I clicked on your link, I got this message:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Are you privy to some inside info the rest of us aren't, or what?

Rascal
07-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Hmmm....that's funny: When I clicked on your link, I got this message:

Are you privy to some inside info the rest of us aren't, or what?

Weird. Not that I know of.

Try this link: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43714 for what caused the entire thing and this as well where Meck brings it up: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43814

Rascal
07-11-2006, 07:04 AM
This post confirms my point that different people have different perceptions about what is or isn't "vulgar" or "decent" or whatever.

I remember the thread in question, and it didn't strike me as all that different from any number of other threads, past and present, on this forum.

I certainly didn't feel that any of the parties in question needed some sort of outside intervention to help them resovle their conflicts or differences.

JMO.

BTW, your post makes it sound all the more likely that sactown was the snitch in this instance. :D

I think TJ has just had enough and used that thread as a jumping off point. Actually it was Meck who used that thread in the War Forum thread.

Jumping in and insulting the guy wasn't the action to take.

IMO it doesn't matter who snitched, but I think the War Forum thread is where TJ noticed it and said that's enough.

PM TJ and ask him to give some better definition on vulgar and decent. I'm sure he will answer.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Weird. Not that I know of.

Try this link: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43714 for what caused the entire thing and this as well where Meck brings it up: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43814

It's the second link that gives me the weird message.

footstepsfrom#27
07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
footsteps is 127% right ... there's worse stuff all over the Board, and all over TV. I agree with the others who feel certain that somebody with influence/friendship with TJ is complaining. I'd like these complaints to see the light of day so they can be responded to. I love this room ... maybe we could put a warning "opt-out" page before you get to the actual room ... like (I've heard) they do on adult sites.
TJ's position on the WRP forum has changed...or at least his method of handling problems related to it...check out this thread. I suggest reading the entire thread, and don't get caught up in the issue of religion being attacked. The main point is that he didn't see the need to police this section of the board.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=39325&page=5&highlight=fool

We got this figured out... But just for the sake of discussion, I want to ask this question to those arguing for special protection from religious discrimination...

Should I also make the same provisions for politics? For isntance, if someone were to berate a poster for their take based on their political affliation... ie. "Whatever you say. You're a stupid liberal anyway, why should I care what you think about our quarterback situation?"

See this is the murky water that we dredge in here when people demand that their choices of affliation be protected. Now, I would just as soon that people didn't attack other people for their various beliefs, but I would also just as soon that the local college cheerleaders come in and give me body massages after work each night. Some people see me as weak for not specifically stating that I'm going to protect religion... I don't. I think that's a trap that I don't want to get myself or my mods involved with. Which is why I said that we evaluate all personal attacks that are reported, and decide from there based on the tone, the context, and a little common sense.

Once we make the across the board decision to protect choices of affiliation, we open a can of worms for ourselves to dine on.

Post #110 by Taco John
Two things: 1) The post makes it clear that personal attacks WILL be tolerated for certain things (but not for others), choice being the apparent determinenet in favor; and 2) decisions to take corrective action are limited to an individual rather than board-wide approach. The question "should I also make the same provisions for politics...?"...indicates a recognition that this board (specifically, the WRP forum) should enjoy great freedom from oversight do to the context of the discussions...vs, let say...racial ephitets for example, which use personal attacks for things that are not based on choice. Again...the point is that he apparently saw no need for oversight or corrective action on a forum-wide basis purely due to personal attacks based on one's political or religous views, which is what 98% of all the personal attacks on the WRP board is based on...that and sexual orientation, which one (could) argue is also a choice...or not...depending on your view. He make similiar arguments here in the same thread on post #23
As far as I'm concerned, religion is a choice. Once I have to start moderating for one set of chosen beliefs over another set of chosen beliefs, I might as well spraypaint my hair gray and get it over with.

I wish that the athiests wouldn't taunt the religious folks, but where is the line drawn? Political cartoons? An evolution taunt? A polygamist poke?

I think that if people cant handle the criticism of their chosen beliefs, they probably need to ask themselves why they're so insecure with those beliefs in the first place. I find that "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do" gets me a lot further than demanding respect for what I have chosen for my belief system .
TJ himself recognizes the ambiguity and problems censorship provoke..."where is the line drawn" he asks. Again...avoid the temptation to get caught up in the "why" criticism or personal attacks are allowed...the fact is...at least in his thinking 4 months ago...they WERE allowed. Reading through the entire thread, you'll find that the issue of attacks based on choices or opinions are seen as justified or at least tolerated and don't need to be dealt with beyond an individual case-by-case basis using "common sense". That seems at odds with the over-arching theme now expressed that the entire board is in jeopardy unless adherance to a set of quite vague principles is adhered to.

I think it's apparent that something...ie...some specific incident or complaint has fueld a fire leading towards a different set of policy making rules to govern this forum now than were in place 4 months ago. This is all fine...but as LABF pointed out...we should know very clearly what those rules are...the specifics...not just vague admonitions to "clean up this place and police yourselves".

Rascal
07-11-2006, 07:15 AM
It's the second link that gives me the weird message.

Still?

Do you have Meck on ignore or something as he is the thread starter.

OR

you are not a member of the group "Orange mane Horseman: Volunteers of the Orange Mane"

Check out your group memberships in your control panel.

Hotrod
07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Still?

Do you have Meck on ignore or something as he is the thread starter.

Nope I cant see it either. Says I dont have permission.

Rascal
07-11-2006, 07:25 AM
check the last part of my post #241.

Hotrod
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Its really like crack the WRP just like the Mane itself. Well its time for Hotrod to step away. Got tons of **** to do the next couple of weeks anyway. I'll be back top side sometime around during training camp but Im not sure Im coming back down here or not.

If I dont I would just like to say even to those whos ideas differed greatly from mine thank you. The one good thing I got out of this forum was the chance to hear what other people think about issues. I even changed my stance on some issues due to hearing other perspectives. Somethings I did not change.

Taco this place can get ugly and I fully understand your not wanting to get into pissing matchs or feel like a babysitter but alot of good things do come from this forum.

Either way Hotrods signing off the Mane for awhile to deal with personal issues and basically just get some **** done that needs my attention.

See you all when I get back. :welcome:

:believeit :believeit :believeit

Rock Chalk
07-11-2006, 09:27 AM

As long as you dont say Taco is sucking off anyone, you're good.

alkemical
07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
"Politics is, as it were, the gizzard of society, full of grit and gravel, and the two political parties are its two opposite halves,—sometimes split into quarters, it may be, which grind on each other. Not only individuals, but States, have thus a confirmed dyspepsia, which expresses itself, you can imagine by what sort of eloquence." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Tredici
07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
But to comment on your question, the complaints that I get, almost always the root of the issue is with unecessary vulgarity.

I don't pay much attention to this forum but not due to vulgarity. Rather the pointless labeling and stating of what "other" people think. Speaking for someone other than yourself in a political or religious debate has no value.

But, anyway, the real point. Who the heck goes crying to TJ? For the life of me I can't understand that behavior. Aren't there adults in here? Do boys insist on having to tattletell? -- I don't think we'll call that girl behavior because I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming complaint gender is male.

Jeez, folks. Stop making TJ the Daddy. Someone strings together a bunch of words in an internet forum and someone else merely reading those words is wounded, exactly, how? As far as I know you can't catch death or disease from reading a post.

I'd say this forum should be shut down. Not from disparaging viewpoints, personal attacks or vulgarities. But because people actually whine about something they are participating in by choice.

Falconer
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't pay much attention to this forum but not due to vulgarity. Rather the pointless labeling and stating of what "other" people think. Speaking for someone other than yourself in a political or religious debate has no value.

But, anyway, the real point. Who the heck goes crying to TJ? For the life of me I can't understand that behavior. Aren't there adults in here? Do boys insist on having to tattletell? -- I don't think we'll call that girl behavior because I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming complaint gender is male.

Jeez, folks. Stop making TJ the Daddy. Someone strings together a bunch of words in an internet forum and someone else merely reading those words is wounded, exactly, how? As far as I know you can't catch death or disease from reading a post.

I'd say this forum should be shut down. Not from disparaging viewpoints, personal attacks or vulgarities. But because people actually whine about something they are participating in by choice.

What do you mean it is a male behavior? That really ticks me off. I can tell you are a manhater! Just reading your post makes me feel ill. I am going to talk to TJ about getting you banned!

alkemical
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
don't hate me for my penis

Taco John
07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Nonsense!

I don't think you get it, TJ ... it's your job to moderate the thing.

No. I don't think you get it. This forum is more of a headache than it's worth and I couldn't care less at this point if it were here or not. If you folks don't collectively come together to clean it up, get the vulgarity gone, get together to keep the discussions from devolving away from the topics and turning into a forum on who can sling the dirtiest mud, then I'm dumping it. If escalations here continue to go from bad to worse without someone stepping in and getting discussion back on track, then it's not a discussion forum, it's a personal attack forum, and I don't want the headaches involved, or more importantly, I don't want it reflecting on the forum as a whole.

There's no ONE person you guys can blame this on, try as you might. It's a conglomeration of things that build up and build up and build up and finally the damn has sprung a leak. You guys can examine this from any angle you choose to and discuss double standards and fairness until the cows come home, but it's not going to change the fact that this board has approached the territory "more trouble than it's worth."

Whine and cry and kick and scream all you want. God forbid you take any personal responsibility for it though. This forum doesn't need a moderator. It needs 50 of them, all moderating themselves, and reeling in their friends and even rivals when they're getting out of line. It doesn't need hard and fast rules. It needs people who show a little respect for the rest of the community here by not posting homo-erotic pictures of Bin Ladin mounting George Bush from behind (and the like).

But while this forum has become more trouble than it's worth, when it comes right down to it, I don't really want to pull the plug on it. I will if I have to. Happily. But I'm giving this community the final say on that, and it will come down to the message it sends me through their actions while posting on this board. Resistance is futile. You're only burning my fuse, and accomplishing nothing in the process. I'm not looking for people to resist here. I'm looking for people saying "I'll do my part."

Buff... I said Rascal had the post of the year. You said "Nonsense." My advice to you is to beg Footsteps do one of his little in depth analyses on what Rascal posted. You might not like the way I'm doing my job here... But it's getting done, and one way or the other the problem WILL get solved. I suggest you endeavor to be a part of the solution.