PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest Move In Team History!!

Pages : [1] 2

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 01:31 PM
congrats broncos, you just made the dumbest move in the history of the franchise.
yes, you just topped ted gregory and tommy maddox.

we have a probowl caliber qb who is only 30 years old.
we lost a leader in mike anderson.
we lost our best defensive lineman in trevor pryce.
we have ashley lelie trade rumors.

we need defensive line help.
we need another threat at wideout...

.....and we trade up to get a fvcking quarterback.

i cant and wont ever stop being a bronco fan, but i can choose not to give them my money.
im so pissed right now my chest hurts and my hands wont stop shaking.

ill be selling my tickets for about half the games.
fvck it. ill play golf and watch on tivo.
ill have my back surgery (which i was going to put off until after the season).
ill make some of my money back. the team made it clear they dont give a sh!t about winning, so why should i change my life to accomodate them.
i feel like i got fvcking slapped in the face.

no way im going to subject myself to the "put cutler in" screams after
every plummer interception.
no way im going to live the heartache LIVE watching a team that had every opportunity to get better and did NOTHING but get worse.

im a bronco fan for life, but ive never been so angry at the team.....ever.
not even close.
we just ruined a very promising situation, and i dont know if i can get over that.
distance. time. maybe.

for now, i need to stop my hands from shaking. i need to stop the chest pains.
maybe i shouldnt be so emotionally attached, but i am.

jake

ps- read my sig. nice fvcking lie a$$hole.

Ratboy
04-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Guess what?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/02/28/mailbag/p1_cutler2.jpg

Jay Cutler has come to save the day.

RhymesayersDU
04-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Guess what?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/02/28/mailbag/p1_cutler2.jpg

Jay Cutler has come to save the day.
Change your name to CutlerToWatts! ;)

KipCorrington25
04-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Drama queen.

-Slap-
Great pick.

SoDak Bronco
Chill out, you're going to have a heart attack. You won't even get to see Cutler develope. This pick wasn't going to make or break our season anyway. Jay Cutler is going to be a great Bronco, you'll see.

MileHighMania
I would think Maddox was the dumbest selection... wait, no ... Marcus Nash. Jake will be 32 this year, right?

Ratboy
04-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Change your name to CutlerToWatts! ;)

:thumbsup:

SAGE
04-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm so torn.........I was pissed at First, because I wanted us to try to win the SuperBowl next season.
Now that I see Shanny couldnt give a F*** about Next Season and in rebuilding mode, this is a good move for the future.
Time to get a TE

spdirty
04-29-2006, 01:37 PM
God, chill out chode.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-29-2006, 01:39 PM
This just confirms what Chiefs fans have been telling you all along.

Jake Plummer is a LAAAAAAAAAAA-HOOOOOOOOOOOO-SAAA-HEEEEEEEEER!!!

:~ohyah!:

BigPlayShay
04-29-2006, 01:41 PM
this pick does not mean Jake is done here. Shanny will groom Cutler over 2-3 years.

I would have liked to have seen an impact player, but perhaps they will grab one at #37.

Taco John
04-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Matt who?

Tredici
04-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Three names for you Orange 4

Ted Gregory

Tommy Maddox

Willie Midddlebrooks

Get a grip.

SoCalBronco
04-29-2006, 01:45 PM
calm down, Jake.

bpc
04-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I like the move. Shanahan is always thinking two steps ahead. I liked Young the best, I liked Cutler 2nd and he was there. Arguably in another year when you didn't have three of the most electrifying prospects to come out at their position (Young, Davis, Bush) Cutler is easily a top 5 selection. We never draft that high and through chance he slid. We made a move on him and I can't fault us for that.

I like Plummer. I think we can win the super bowl with Plummer. He has yet to do it though and i'm speculating. I would say when we have lost in the playoffs, he hasn't done enough to lift up our team.

I don't think we are in rebuilding mode. I think this pick is evident of that. We are just preparing for anything coming down the pipes. There is no doubt that Plummer starts next season.

I like this pick.

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 01:46 PM

This was a pick to secure the future at the QB position. Cutler won't start for two years. Try again fuqtard.

Speaking of losers, what do you guys have behind 54 year old TrINT? :laugh:

Atlas
04-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Orange 4 life is one of the biggest Plummer homers here on the Mane so I can see why he is upset.

ignitionnight
04-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow man, you have some deep psychological issues that you need to deal with.

The only dumb thing about this trade is the fact that we still could have snagged him at 15 and threw away a 3rd rounder for the second straight year.

bpc
04-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Of the five analysts on ESPN, the two QB's like Cutler the best, Young and Jaws. Shanahan is another QB guy. I'm willing to defer to them.

Casper Bronco
04-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I thought Darrent Williams last year was the worst move in team history?!?!

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 01:48 PM
in '91 we lost the afc championship with a 30 year old john elway.
we responded in the offseason by wasting a pick on tommy maddox, and the team went downhill for a few years.

in '05 we go 13-3 and lose the afc championship with a 30 year old jake plummer. we respond by wasting another 1st round pick (this time #11) on a qb. the frachise....

fill in the blank.

fact is, we had a chance to get better and we didnt.

ps- if you think cutler is going to "save the day" youre out of your fvcking mind.
besides that, it doesnt matter anyway.
anyone who takes snaps for the broncos will be attacked by fans within a year or two.
our fans are stupid.
there. i said it. chief fan fodder.
the orange crush days are over.
we now have a bunch of idiots that live to run qb's out of town.
what a joke this whole thing has become.

Hulamau
04-29-2006, 01:50 PM
This is a great gutsy move by Shanny.

We have had to play with one arm tied behind our back with Plummer who is admittedly a decent QB and I like the guy personally but he just doesn't have that special something to go all the way without all the starts aligning.

Plummer is NOT a pro bowl QB he is the beneficiaryy of a great over all team that has been tailored adn restricted arround Jakes strenghts and minimize his two MAJOR fundamentnal weaknesses in poor mid to long accuracy and often very poor decision making when he is playing in big games or from behind.

This Cutler kid from all reports that special something, is smart and is competative as hell and is a real team player and leader. He can throw the ball all day long accurately all over the field and knows how to read defenses.

That Vandy didnt win much was because the rest of the team sucked and yet he was the leading player in the SEC in spite of playing at Vandy!

PLus we couldn't go into another year withou a real QB behind JAke. Now Cutler will press JAke to win it all now like no one else could have and if he fails or gets injured at least we'll be able to make a credible showing this year and excelerate the dawn of the Cutler era.

orange 4 life
God, chill out chode.

fvck you.

yavoon
this thread has awesome potential, hope it dont get merged.

2KBack
I'm a huge plummer fan, and I'm not really upset with this pick. I'm kinda miffed about giving up a high 3rd for it, but overall I think this could be huge in 2 years. It would be nice to have QB security.

-Slap-
04-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Great pick. Great trade. Great draft.

Atlas
04-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I thought Darrent Williams last year was the worst move in team history?!?!

I still wonder how Shanny could have drafted WIlliams over Justin Miller? What an Idiot :pimp:

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Cutler's got good wheels and a live arm. He fits the bill nicely.

Just teach him the bootleg and he's ready to face KC. :laugh:

cutlersucks
04-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Where's Brian Greasy when we need him?!

Tredici
04-29-2006, 01:56 PM
in '91 we lost the afc championship with a 30 year old john elway.
we responded in the offseason by wasting a pick on tommy maddox, and the team went downhill for a few years.

in '05 we go 13-3 and lose the afc championship with a 30 year old jake plummer. we respond by wasting another 1st round pick (this time #11) on a qb. the frachise....

fill in the blank.

fact is, we had a chance to get better and we didnt.

ps- if you think cutler is going to "save the day" youre out of your fvcking mind.
besides that, it doesnt matter anyway.
anyone who takes snaps for the broncos will be attacked by fans within a year or two.
our fans are stupid.
there. i said it. chief fan fodder.
the orange crush days are over.
what a joke this whole thing has become.

Wow. There has to be somebody sitting behind Plummer. Right now I'll take Cutler sight unseen over Van Pelt. This kid could be the key to keeping the Broncos competitive for YEARS past Jake's days.

I think you are right about the stupid fan part.

bpc
04-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Jake I love you bro...

Elway had taken us to three super bowls previously. We all knew what we had with Elway, Reeves didn't like him though.

Plummer is still a undefined quantity. He has won only one playoff game in three years for us. I think its safe to say that he didn't play great in any of those games either. I've been a strong Plummer supporter... still am. He has yet to win us the super bowl and until he does, I don't think we can stop trying to make moves that will eventually make us better. Shanahan's top teams have always been driven by great QB's. Young and Elway multiple times.

This could be a long term answer for us. We have Mike here to coach him up. Heimerdinger was instrumental in bringing McNair to a MVP level.

We have Ashley looking to get out of Denver when most of us all think he is a talented player, with nobody that can get the ball down the field to him. He is a free agent after the season. We can do whatever we want to do with him. Franchise, Transition... anything. We can keep him if we want.

We can potentially make a move for Javon Walker... sign him to a long term contract.

Rod will still be around. The running game will be there.

We sit Cutler for a year and surround him with these weapons and one of the best OL's consistantly in football, we could have another offensive machine in just two seasons.

We have flexibility and we can win next season still. This is all you can ask for. Go Plummer... Push his ass Cutler!

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Three names for you Orange 4

Ted Gregory

Tommy Maddox

Willie Midddlebrooks

Get a grip.

...and i named two of them already, or like most ADD bronco fans did you just conveniently miss that part?

this was worse.
we have a 30 year old probowl qb, and we already lost a leader on offense and our best defensive lineman.

excuse me for wanting to win.
call me crazy, but when my team goes 13-3 and is in the afc championship i kinda want to see them try to get better.
we've done NOTHING to improve this offseason, and now we waste a fvcking 11 pick on a qb that wont do SH!T for us.

call me old fashioned. maybe its just that i actually have a brain unlike many of our fans.
when youre that close to winning it all you dont draft a damn qb.
you draft players that will help the qb you already have.

WORST PICK EVER

maddox was at least a LATE 1st rounder.
middlebrooks was also, and at least he played a few downs.

this is a fvckin train wreck, and thats all there is to it.

ill spend more time with my family and more time on the golf course.

whoever said im going to have a heart attack is right.
thats actually how i feel. not good.
i dont fvckin need it.

Northman
congrats broncos, you just made the dumbest move in the history of the franchise.

i cant and wont ever stop being a bronco fan, but i can choose not to give them my money.

ill make some of my money back. the team made it clear they dont give a sh!t about winning, so why should i change my life to accomodate them.

no way im going to live the heartache LIVE watching a team that had every opportunity to get better and did NOTHING but get worse.

not even close.
we just ruined a very promising situation, and i dont know if i can get over that.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

Ok, so we can officially write you off the bandwagon. Take note with this.

frerottenextelway
Orange 4 life is one of the biggest Plummer homers here on the Mane so I can see why he is upset.

"one of the..." That's the understatement of the year.

yavoon
04-29-2006, 01:59 PM
I swear orange 4 life is married/related/served in nam with plummer.

azbroncfan

Exactly, Denver filled a need what if Plummer blows out a knee or shoulder in preseason, this could be a big ben type pick up.

Play2win

BWAAAAaaaaa HHAAAAAAaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL LOL LOL LOL

Northman
we've done NOTHING to improve this offseason, and now we waste a fvcking 11 pick on a qb that wont do SH!T for us

It was one pick nitwit. jesus, quit your crying already.

Tredici
04-29-2006, 02:00 PM
...and i named two of them already, or like most ADD bronco fans did you just conveniently miss that part?

this was worse.
we have a 30 year old probowl qb, and we already lost a leader on offense and our best defensive lineman.

excuse me for wanting to win.
call me crazy, but when my team goes 13-3 and is in the afc championship i kinda want to see them try to get better.
we've done NOTHING to improve this offseason, and now we waste a fvcking 11 pick on a qb that wont do SH!T for us.

call me old fashioned. maybe its just that i actually have a brain unlike many of our fans.
when youre that close to winning it all you dont draft a damn qb.
you draft players that will help the qb you already have.

WORST PICK EVER

maddox was at least a LATE 1st rounder.
middlebrooks was also, and at least he played a few downs.

this is a fvckin train wreck, and thats all there is to it.

ill spend more time with my family and more time on the golf course.

whoever said im going to have a heart attack is right.
thats actually how i feel. not good.
i dont fvckin need it.

I won't call you old fashioned. Short sighted maybe.

kamakazi_kal

not even close.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

cry me a frickin river dude....... .... i think the stupidest move was marcus nash but thats just me.... maybe i should start my river of tears ROFL!

orange 4 life
Wow man, you have some deep psychological issues that you need to deal with.

fvck off.

im just a fan that actually cares about winning.
a fan who REALLY cares about winning, and a fan that has a deep emotional investment in this team.

that USED to be a good thing in this town.
my how times have changed.

dont talk to me about "psychological issues" until you know me dipsh!t.

Taco John
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
You'll come around when Cutler is hoisting a Lombardi for you...

Northman
04-29-2006, 02:02 PM
fvck off.

im just a fan that actually cares about winning.
a fan who REALLY cares about winning, and a fan that has a deep emotional investment in this team.

that USED to be a good thing in this town.
my how times have changed.

dont talk to me about "psychological issues" until you know me dipsh!t.

Your right, the season is done. We should all just jump ship now and commit suicide. Its not like there is anymore of the draft. :rofl:

Tredici
04-29-2006, 02:03 PM
You know what Jake? If other posters were personally attacking you the way you are right now? Well, it would be lecture city.

Not liking this pick doesn't make you a better or smarter fan than those who like it. Just means you have a different opinion.

Hulamau
04-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Oragne 4 life I feel your pain and while I'm happy with the move try looking at it like this .

PLummer isnt being fired, he's been motivated to win it all and as long as he keeps making real improvements HE will be our starter. We arent going to replace a greatly improving winner that takes us all the way with a young guy just learning the game.

Jake will be 32 this fall and if as many of us feel he has reached pretty much his potential here, we DO need to groom a genuine replacement/backup nonetheless and who better to pick than a guy who can potentially keep us from falling off the map if Jake gets injured or has peaked in our systems and starts to slide.

Look at it as the best shot in the arm PLummer could have gotten to work as hard as he can every single day to make it happen and PROVE he deserves the job. If he sours under the competition that PRoves he is not our man. This is the true litmus test for JAke and he can step up and claim it all.

He wont lose the job unless he deserves too ... guaranteed!

At least now we have a real option in the making though, should Jake not make that next big step and Cutler can be developed gradually without having to rush him in too early.

Once in a very blue moon you get a Tom Brady in the lower rounds, but that is like winning the lottery and maybe the best QB in the draft fell almost right into our laps!

I know you are feeling blue right now, but keep your chin up, it will all work out for the best!

Aloha

yavoon
04-29-2006, 02:04 PM
You know what Jake? If other posters were personally attacking you the way you are right now? Well, it would be lecture city.

Not liking this pick doesn't make you a better or smarter fan than those who like it. Just means you have a different opinion.

oh bah let him have his opinion. its atleast more intestinal fortitude then the bandwagoners:)

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow. There has to be somebody sitting behind Plummer. Right now I'll take Cutler sight unseen over Van Pelt. This kid could be the key to keeping the Broncos competitive for YEARS past Jake's days.

I think you are right about the stupid fan part.

tred, i know we need someone behind plummer.

that said, NOT A DAMN #15 PICK!!!!!!!!!

get someone later on in the draft and use the high pick for a player that can help us now.

im not worried about 5 years from now.
im worried about NEXT season, and next season cutler isnt gonna do sh!t.

Vegas_Bronco
1. Jake has a great year but could have been amazing and our offense will be
2. Shanny likes his offense but wants to explode the vertical game
3. Cutler has amazing accuracy - something missing in Jake
4. Broncos draft board had Cutler listed ahead of Leinart
5. Jake is in the last year of his contract
6. We have no 2nd or real 3rd string QB
7. We need a 2nd string QB to win 10 games this year
8. Lelie will be here
9. Culter goes through his reads faster than Jake does as a pro
10. Our WR game just opened up instead of being a single WR & TE passing game
11. There are no good QBs in the league right now and Denver tried in FA to get a backup
12. Cutlers Mop is similar to Jake the Mountain Mans Mop

We just drafted Drew Brees with speed - I LOVE IT!!!

SAGE
Exactly, Denver filled a need what if Plummer blows out a knee or shoulder in preseason,

Why does it matter.
Where's he (Cutler) gonna take us with this Sh**y offense??

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Look at what a little competition did for Drew Brees. He magically got his **** together once the Bolts brought in Phillip Rivers.

2KBack
04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Orange, I'm usually pretty supportive of your views man, but who did you want there?

D-Line? most of our current d-line is made up of high first rounders, what makes you think any of these rookies would be better?

Wr? Weak WR calss, we can easily get better value later, and they won't help immediatly anyway.

RB? Only one is off the board, they are all dropping, they could be picked up later.

TE? Same issue, only Davis is gone, more opporunity later

yavoon
04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
1. Jake has a great year but could have been amazing and our offense will be
2. Shanny likes his offense but wants to explode the vertical game
3. Cutler has amazing accuracy - something missing in Jake
4. Broncos draft board had Cutler listed ahead of Leinart
5. Jake is in the last year of his contract
6. We have no 2nd or real 3rd string QB
7. We need a 2nd string QB to win 10 games this year
8. Lelie will be here
9. Culter goes through his reads faster than Jake does as a pro
10. Our WR game just opened up instead of being a single WR & TE passing game
11. There are no good QBs in the league right now and Denver tried in FA to get a backup
12. Cutlers Mop is similar to Jake the Mountain Mans Mop

now thats a high release

Northman
04-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Orange, I'm usually pretty supportive of your views man, but who did you want there?

D-Line? most of our current d-line is made up of high first rounders, what makes you think any of these rookies would be better?

Wr? Weak WR calss, we can easily get better value later, and they won't help immediatly anyway.

RB? Only one is off the board, they are all dropping, they could be picked up later.

TE? Same issue, only Davis is gone, more opporunity later

All true statements. All this ****ing crying over 1 pick, a pick we needed anyway so why not take the best available at that spot? You think a WR at that spot is going to make a difference by himself? **** no, Jake cant hit the targets we have anyway. Its all about adding depth and as 2k said there a ****load of players dropping that we will be interested in.

Hulamau
04-29-2006, 02:13 PM
tred, i know we need someone behind plummer.

that said, NOT A DAMN #15 PICK!!!!!!!!!

get someone later on in the draft and use the high pick for a player that can help us now.

No one else on the board was really going to help us tremendously THIS year beside maybe Hali or Maroney, Deangelo Williams.

Most of the other QBs have some injury defect or are much longer range projects and Shanny has NEVER had a real 1st round QB that he picked to work with and he didnt have much luck with Greasy and Van Pelt.

I'm tired of Journeyman and we all know what a true DESERVING big time QB can do for a team and a franchise and possibly this kid can be the guy long after JAke is sipping mai tais by the beach.

Plus, if Jake gets injured or fails to take it to the next level this year, Cutler could step in later in the year or certainly by next season and possibly be the guy! No QB we draft in the 4th round is going to be ready for 3 or 4 years tops!

MadCity
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
We have our first official meltdown. Thanks for making it a memorable one.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Stupidest move

You don't like the pick so every other Bronco fan is now "stupid".

Crawl out of Plummer"s jock and take a look at the real world.
Shanahan has NO confidence in Plummer, neither do I.

You really need to learn to control you emotions and quit letting your mouth overwhelm your brain.

Ratboy
04-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Jay Cutler was the best player on the board and we traded up to get him. We'll draft WR and TE with our next 2 picks.

Paladin
04-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I think this is an astonishing move by the Broncos. It is fantastic. I have suffered through Griese and Gus. While Plummer has been "just fine" or even exceptionally "just fine" at QB (he was a "pro Bowl QB by the process of elimnation), Cutler represents an opportunity to have a potentially elite QB. I am like everyone else here, I'd like to see a TE (Fasano, Lewis) and a DE (Hali, Kiwi) picked soon, and I think Stovall from ND can be had for a couple of 4's. And I think a run for Walker is still possible after the draft.

Great start for the Broncos.

Play2win
04-29-2006, 02:23 PM
WTF is this...

O4L's best impersonation of WAFFLE BOY... ;D

Bronco_Beerslug
04-29-2006, 02:30 PM
WTF is this...

O4L's best impersonation of WAFFLE BOY... ;D

Waffle boy has never acted like a 5 year old that didn't get his way as far as I know.

maven
04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Our savior is here!

maven
Our savior is here!

Atlas

HAHAH Cutler will probably beat out Plummer by spring ball!!

Al Wilson
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Relax.

This is a pick for the future. I'm sure Plummer will start the season as the main guy.

I believe in what Shanahan is doing . .

I like Plummer and all, but let's be honest here...Is he going to lead a team from behind and win you a ball game consistently on his own? Maybe once or twice.

Cutler is an awesome QB.

Taking a defensive tackle/end/wide reciever at the 15th or 11th pick would not help.

bpc
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Bottom line is we never are bad enough to draft the franchise QB's coming out. This happened to be a situation through wise trades we had the flexibility to move around and a player happen to slip because of a deep top 5. We stepped up to the plate and made a move.

Say we don't do this. We draft somebody else. Maybe they help us this year but is there a more important position then QB in the NFL? Brady, Manning, Favre, Rothlisberger?

Say we stay status quo with Plummer and we still can't win the AFC CHampionship or Super bowl in a few years. Then we are forced to move on with no air-apparent and we are in the same situation a few seasons ago when we had a choice of tieing our hopes to Plummer or Kordel Stewart.

I don't want that. I want exactly what we have right now. If Plummer is as good as he should be, he'll hold off Cutler as long as he wants to and he'll take us back to our rightful place as super bowl champions. That is the goal every year.

If not... we shall see #6 being rolled out in Orange and Blue.

I love this decision... I love the direction our club is going whether it is with Plummer or not.

Read the tag line... B.P.A... WE did that this year. I love it. This can impact everything we do for the next two seasons.

Cool Breeze
04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Acceptance is a key ability for life.
The draft isn't over yet.
There are no assurances that the prior 10 picks will pan out either.
The plan is unfolding according to the plan.

Atlas
04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Cutler was named SEC Offensive Player of the Year after leading the Commodores to a 5-6 record and the team's first victory at Tennessee's Neyland Stadium in 30 years. He threw for 3,073 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Not bad for a kid from Santa Claus, Ind.

Cutler scoffs at the name of his tiny hometown which, to him, is more embarrassing than cute. But, in football, he has nothing to worry about.

Santa's playing weight is heavier than the quarterback's 226 pounds and the jolly figure doesn't have the arm that has Cutler projected as anywhere from the fourth to 13th pick.

Cutler showcased his strength at the NFL Combine in February. Young and Leinart did not participate in any drills while Cutler worked out with other quarterbacks.

When asked if running drills at the Combine would hurt him, Cutler shrugged.

"It's just throwing," he said. "I have been doing that for a long time.

"I wanted to do everything going into it. I asked a lot of questions at the Senior Bowl as to what the scouts thought, what the coaches thought, and everyone said 'You can’t really hurt yourself, go out there, throw and do the best you can.' So I am going to go out there and compete. I wish everyone was competing with me, but that’s how it goes."

Such is the attitude Cutler has displayed during the draft process -- confident and straight forward.

His raw skills make him an attractive prospect, but questions regarding his footwork and performance at a school without a rich football tradition have kept the hype stirring and the discussion lively.

Cutler hasn't shied away from the criticism.

He has pointed to Vanderbilt's situation as a tool for improving his game. Last season was only the second time in six years the Commodores mustered five wins. The 2005 team missed a field goal at the end of regulation against Middle Tennessee that would have secured a sixth win and took Florida to overtime with a 21-point fourth quarter.

Under Cutler's guidance, the Commodores outscored opponents 102 to 76 in the fourth quarter last season.

The two-time team captain doesn't have the winning streak of Leinart or championship MVP of Young, but winning games at Vanderbilt, including a 4-0 start, gets some attention.

“We got some wins, I think that started it all," Cutler said. "We won some fourth quarter games. I think people wanted to see if I could lead a team to victory. Once that started, the ball started rolling and it just kind of picked up pace throughout the year."

Of course, the lack of All-Americans and depth on the offensive line took it's toll on Cutler's style. He admits he threw off his back foot or on the run to avoid the pass rush. But he also developed an ability to squeeze the ball into tight spaces.

On the final pass of his college career he found freshman wide receiver Earl Bennett on a slant for a game-winning touchdown. The ball reached Bennett's hands just before a Tennessee defender's hand closed the hole.
Broncos fans should know he watched similar plays and fourth-quarter comebacks from one of his boyhood idols, John Elway.

Questions will follow the straight-forward Cutler wherever he goes in the draft, but he already has plenty of experience with the hype that comes with being a first-round quarterback.

He graces the cover of a commemorative DVD entitled Victory in Knoxville that will forever keep him on the minds of Vanderbilt's small, but devoted, fan base.

Of course, Cutler's in for more changes in the NFL. That's when hype turns to expectation.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Look at what a little competition did for Drew Brees. He magically got his **** together once the Bolts brought in Phillip Rivers.

So you're saying BVP isn't a big enough challenge to Jake to make him up his game?

Barry Ramey
04-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I like the pick. Obviously they weren't going to get an immediate impact player at #15, so went with the future and one where many NFL scouts and in the know have Cutler rated higher than Leinart and Young. When would the Broncos get a chance to draft a highly rated QB and not have to throw the guy out there to play right away?

Not only that, but yeah, I think this could help Plummer to keep improving and getting better as well knowing there is another option.

They can still get a quality WR later since this draft, there really aren't any WR's that stand out from the rest.

Atlas
Look at what Shanny has done for Plummer Now think of what he could do for a QB that has skills.

Hogan11
Cutler is a headscratching pick given the more immediate needs @ DE/WR & TE. I don't see it as a threat to Plummer at all and am much more comfortable with Cutler than I am with Linus backing up Jake.

As far as I can see, this just means Linus is on his way out of town in the near future....which is cool by me because I didn't think much of him to begin with.

Northman
So you're saying BVP isn't a big enough challenge to Jake to make him up his game?

If he's not i am. BVP is average at best. Cutler will earn the #2 spot ahead of Bradlee. Watch.

Barry Ramey
04-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Van Pelt was a 7th round pick, so I doubt Plummer was worried much about him, especially considering Van Pelt's bad throwing in that Charger game. Van Pelt is not a starting QB in the NFL.

KansasBronco
04-29-2006, 02:42 PM
This is the stupidest post ever. We just drafted the top qb on the board according to many who have a clue in evaluating talent.

Orange_Beard
04-29-2006, 02:43 PM
GREAT PICK.
You can get back on the bandwagon after you see JC play.

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 02:43 PM

That's the long and short of it, yes.

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 02:49 PM
calm down, Jake.

He's just upset at anything that messes with the little "Jake" Club in Denver. :rofl:

Hang in there, bro. This is a solid pick. You'll see. Hope your backisn't too messed up!

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 02:52 PM
We could have stayed put and had Bunkley and Lawson. I would have been in need of a new name here on the mane at that rate.

Northman
04-29-2006, 02:54 PM
We could have stayed put and had Bunkley and Lawson. I would have been in need of a new name here on the mane at that rate.

Why's That?

Mr. Trout
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
drama queen

TheChamp24
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Because all rookie DE and DT's succeed right away, right?

clean
04-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Orange 4 Life the headless chicken.

http://www5.goyk.com/aw333sas0910/videos/chickenrun.WMV

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Because all rookie DE and DT's succeed right away, right?

No...because we would have selected personel that addressed the pass rush, rook. :oyvey:

I'm just pointing out what could have been as things have played out today. I'm good with the Cutler pick. You know that rookie QB's succeed as often as rookie posters. ;D

Atlas
04-29-2006, 03:03 PM
No...because we would have personel addressed the pass rush, rook. :oyvey:

The rook is right. The defense is just fine Hell, they were the 4th rated defense in the league last year and Williams, Foxworth and Paymah should all be better.

Denver has two 2nd rounders. I say go WR and go RB.

Then go DT with two of the 4th rounders.

milehimike
04-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Dude, Take a chill pill, and get over it. You are way outa control!!!! It's all good, you'll see. Maybe I'll buy some of your tickets!!

Northman
04-29-2006, 03:06 PM
The rook is right. The defense is just fine Hell, they were the 4th rated defense in the league last year and Williams, Foxworth and Paymah should all be better.

Denver has two 2nd rounders. I saw go WR and go RB.

Yea, offensively we werent up too snuff. Defense wasnt always stellar but when they made stops the offense didnt always go down and score. Need Wr, Rb, Ol, and Dl.

TheChamp24
04-29-2006, 03:09 PM
No...because we would have selected personel that addressed the pass rush, rook. :oyvey:

I'm just pointing out what could have been as things have played out today. I'm good with the Cutler pick. You know that rookie QB's succeed as often as rookie posters. ;D

We could, IMO, get a quality DE or DT at pick 37 or 61 still. That is still addressing the pass rush.
There is going to be a lot of options at 37 and 61 to look at here, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Denver has two 2nd rounders. I saw go WR and go RB.

Again, I am excited about Cutler and the idea of what he can bring to the team. I like the pick and all the moves that got us to #11.

It was just a comment about what pieces were there when we had two #1 picks and the relevence to 'needa pass rush'. :wave: I said we could have stayed put....not SHOULD have....

Broncobuddy7
04-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Broncos land Cutler to be Plummer's successor
Posted: Saturday April 29, 2006 3:56PM; Updated: Saturday April 29, 2006 3:56PM

Jay Cutler might not start for the Broncos this season, but he is certainly Denver's quarterback of the future.

METAIRIE, La. -- Mike Shanahan, Jay Cutler. What a marriage.

Mike Shanahan, Jake Plummer. "Uh, Jake, we've got to talk.''

I don't blame Shanahan. He's doing mental handsprings right now. He loves quarterbacks, obviously. He entered the day with picks 15, 37, 61 and 68. He took 15 and 68 and turned them into the quarterback Cutler, leaving himself with picks high in the second and third rounds.

This is going to be a great, great day for the Broncos, maybe the best day of anyone in the league. I watched some quarterback tape of players in this draft with Phil Simms last week and he was raved about Cutler. Talked about his workout tape like it was one of the best workouts he'd ever seen. And Ron Jaworski ... he thought Cutler was the best quarterback in the draft. And Mike Martz ... well, Martz requested that I not quote him on Cutler, but let's just say he thinks Cutler's one of the best quarterbacks he's ever seen come out of college football.

He steps into a perfect situation. He's Mr. Clipboard this year and in 2007 he goes into camp challenging Plummer for the starting job. Jake's going to be 32 at the end of this year, finishing his 10th year in the NFL. Even though Shanahan really likes him for his selflessness and being such a great team guy, he has to recognize that Plummer makes more than the occasional mistake. Instead of committing to another contract for him, which Denver probably would have to do after next season, now the Broncos have Plummer's heir.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/29/five.things.draft2/index.html

Play2win
04-29-2006, 03:12 PM
I have said it for a while:

QB (jake plummer) Was THE bottleneck for the ultimate success of the Denver Broncos.

It was logically the ONE weakness that would eventually impede us from the serious success and championships this team should attain.

It was the BOTTLENECK in the KEYSTONE position in the KEY squad for any Mike Shanahan team...

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 03:14 PM
We could, IMO, get a quality DE or DT at pick 37 or 61 still. That is still addressing the pass rush.
There is going to be a lot of options at 37 and 61 to look at here, we'll just have to see how it goes.

No question... I think we are going to have some nice new pieces to add to the team.

DB-Freak
04-29-2006, 03:16 PM
What a pick.

GOddamn!!!!

Sideburn
04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Har! I love it!

Atlas
04-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Again, I am excited about Cutler and the idea of what he can bring to the team. I like the pick and all the moves that got us to #11.

It was just a comment about what pieces were there when we had two #1 picks and the relevence to 'needa pass rush'. :wave: I said we could have stayed put....not SHOULD have....

I can see where your coming from but I was never convinced that Denver was going to draft a DE like most people thought. I said so many times. Denver spent a lot of time resigning Ecuban, Brown, Engleberger and others. Denver has about 8 DEs on the roster so I looked at that and thought they would go elsewhere in the draft.

DT is still a need area but I think there is just too much opffensiver talent still on the board when Denver drafts.

Cito Pelon
04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Bottom line is we never are bad enough to draft the franchise QB's coming out. This happened to be a situation through wise trades we had the flexibility to move around and a player happen to slip because of a deep top 5. We stepped up to the plate and made a move.

Bingo. You have to jump sometimes, even if it is rolling the dice. You get a competitve kid with skills, the rest of the stuff you just have to take care of later. A five year contract with a 6th option, look to start him in 2-3 years, and don't worry about QB again for 10 years if you did your homewrk right. You can't diddle around forever, you have to jump when you see the opportunity.

Kaylore
04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
A third rounder for the best QB in the draft. Sounds pretty good to me.

Atlas
04-29-2006, 03:42 PM
A third rounder for the best QB in the draft. Sounds pretty good to me.

Everyone is comparing this to what happened to Big Ben on draft day..... We could only hope it turns out the same.

Cito Pelon
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
. . . . . .Denver has two 2nd rounders. I say go WR and go RB . . . . . .

That would probably be a good move. Seems like there will be some good value there. Good value at TE too probably, but you can't have everything.

I'm looking for a WR, RB, and safety still. BAP among those positions, or TE.

Atlas
04-29-2006, 03:53 PM
That would probably be a good move. Seems like there will be some good value there. Good value at TE too probably, but you can't have everything.

I'm looking for a WR, RB, and safety still. BAP among those positions, or TE.

I agree pope would be a good selection. But if not my boy Tim Day could be had in round 5.

Kaylore
04-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Everyone is comparing this to what happened to Big Ben on draft day..... We could only hope it turns out the same.
Ben's mechanics are better. I think Cutler needs at least one full year before we should consider starting him. I'm thinking two years and change or something like that.

B-Love
04-29-2006, 04:08 PM

jake

This drama queen stuff is embarassing; next thing you know jake will start telling us about his cat.

Play2win
04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
This drama queen stuff is embarassing; next thing you know jake will start telling us about his cat.
Maybe this is one of those transitional moments...

Atlas
04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Ben's mechanics are better. I think Cutler needs at least one full year before we should consider starting him. I'm thinking two years and change or something like that.

He is raw, but I thought Big Ben was Raw too. Who knows. Plummer is the QB for this year hands down but I wouldn't commit to anything after that.

Popps
04-29-2006, 04:17 PM
I've got no prob with this move..... if we didn't leave the best two D-tackles on the board. I'm not upset about having potentially the best QB in this draft on our roster, I'm just upset that year after year.... we ignore our D-line problems.

Rock Chalk
04-29-2006, 04:22 PM
We'll see, but not for at least 6 years, if he is still around.

This year is a wash. without a pass rush and no confidence in any starting material left in the draft, more of the same. Just enough to make us think we got "it" but woefully short.

banyon
04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Ah, hahahahahahahah!

freak6
04-29-2006, 04:33 PM

I gotta disagree, I think Manny Lawson at 15 would have had an impact on our pass rush this season, and helped a very good team get better and win playoff games. We just moved down again swapping with Green Bay, must mean we got Javon Walker!!!

Well, we drafted for the future, and just landed our WR.

Broncoman13
04-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Cutler was the right pick. Sorry Jake, I like you and normally agree with your takes... but you're way off here. This isn't for the now, its for the future and for depth.

rubaiyat
04-29-2006, 05:27 PM

not even close.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

It's just a game man. Seriously...some people take it as a matter of honor to be that wrapped up...but despite pro sports roots...we ain't beating the city state of Sparta determining who rules ancient Greece. It's billionaire's paying millionaire's to throw balls of various shapes and sizes around.

And Jay won't likely meaningfully see the field for 2 years. That likely covers the several years line.

And if the Broncos win the Superbowl?? Would that make you happy?

Pick Six
04-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Jake, you and I both know that if a second-string QB is ever needed (knock on wood), BVP is NOT the answer. We get Cutler as a backup and then convert BVP to a running back. BVP may not like that plan, but he will if it's his only hope to play in the NFL. Right now, he's just taking up roster space...

broncos love
04-29-2006, 05:32 PM
I love the broncos getting Cutler. I remember watching him single handly beat the hogs last year in fayettville. That is not saying much considering the Arkansas sucked till the end of the year, but you could see alot of potental in Cutler.

maher_tyler
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
"im so pissed right now my chest hurts and my hands wont stop shaking."

Hilarious! Everything is going to be ok!

Jetmeck
04-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Honestly this is none of your damn business ! Worry about your own team.

Pezman
04-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Thing I love about my bro Jake is that he wears his heart right on his sleeve. In this case, I understand his concern as it was a bit of a luxury that we had in drafting this kid but would it be easier to stomach grooming a kid next year if we weren't already needing to address future offensive concerns?
I say start the building block at the top with this kid and work our way from there. Its a solid pick, with alot of upside, just risky to our 2006 campaign.

anthonypacino
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I scratched my head like most of us after watching Cutler get picked. But as it sinks in it makes more and more sense to me. The "needs" that we had were just not too deep in the first, our TE situation can be addressed later in the rounds like I had thought and posted before, after Super MArio the talent level dropped at DE none of the other DE will have that step right in impact so that would not help Denver next season. Our team hasn't had a chance to get a TOP QB in 20 years, Shanny had the ammo to do it this year with the multiple 1st's he pulled it off and then in the second we got a "immediate" impact WR a experienced vet, now we can get Humes, Marshall and Eslinger in the late rounds.

freak6
04-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I hope we get Bloom from CU.

Needa Pass Rush
04-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Cutler was the right pick. Sorry Jake, I like you and normally agree with your takes... but you're way off here. This isn't for the now, its for the future and for depth.

The QB depth needed to be addressed. I had very little confidence in BVP's ability to lead the offense in any meaningful way.

Play2win
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
I hope we get Bloom from CU.
The Owl says wHOOOOOO... ???

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 06:19 PM
BWAAAAaaaaa HHAAAAAAaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL LOL LOL LOL

and while ill always be a BRONCO fan, this is the kind of idiocy that makes me dislike a LARGE and sadly growing number of bronco fans.

another reason watching games with chosen people is a good idea. watching games with people who have been there all along and actually know what it is theyre watching.

damn i miss the orange crush days.

RhymesayersDU
04-29-2006, 06:23 PM
and while ill always be a BRONCO fan, this is the kind of idiocy that makes me dislike a LARGE and sadly growing number of bronco fans.

another reason watching games with chosen people is a good idea. watching games with people who have been there all along and actually know what it is theyre watching.

Jake, come on now. Cutler To Javon is the going to be the new Elway to Rod.

You'll see.

04-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Orange 4 Life will fall in love with Cutler.

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Exactly, Denver filled a need what if Plummer blows out a knee or shoulder in preseason, this could be a big ben type pick up.

what part of "at pick #11 we couldve gotten an impact player that can help win RIGHT NOW" dont you understand?

we were a few plays away from a superbowl last year, and we have a qb who's a damn good leader and a damn good player.

its jaw dropping that so many actually dont grasp that we had the chance to get an impact player to help us win the superbowl NEXT season.

if plummer goes down we're dead.
fact is, thats the case for 90% of the teams out there.
waddya think the colts would do if manning went down?
you think sorgi is the answer?

you stack your team around your qb and pray he doesnt get hurt.
if you can draft a qb in the later rounds as a project or pick up a cheap vet then do it, but for Gods sake dont waste a #11 pick on a fvcking guy who wont see the field when youre coming off a 13-3 season.

ØrangeÇrush
04-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I love the pick. I liked Vince Young, A lot!! however, Cutler has more polish and just as much upside. I can't believe we got him.

Tredici
04-29-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm getting sick and tired of who you think has been there all along and who hasn't.

To directly quote you. Fvck off.

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 06:26 PM
It was one pick nitwit. jesus, quit your crying already.

it was the #11 pick dipsh!t.

quit your incoherent rambling and go bang your head against another wall.

RhymesayersDU
04-29-2006, 06:30 PM

not even close.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

:)

-Slap-
04-29-2006, 06:31 PM
At least Jay hasn't totally killed us in a playoff game yet.

Gotta like that about him.

Tredici
04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
There's two people on this thread who obviously are not Denver Bronco fans. One of them is Boob. The other one is the other Boob.

Casper Bronco
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM

who should we have taken at 15?

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM
cry me a frickin river dude....... .... i think the stupidest move was marcus nash but thats just me.... maybe i should start my river of tears ROFL!

suck my a$$ newbie.

get to know me before you start slinging mudd numbnuts.

go get fvcked jack nasty.

TheDave
04-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I couldn't be happier...

Bronco_Beerslug
04-29-2006, 06:35 PM

LOL
You don't don't know sh*t about being a Broncos fan, what part of the #11 pick don't you understand?

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 06:36 PM

Obviously anyone who isn't the heir apparent to Jake Plummer. If you think otherwise I guess you're just not a true Bronco fan.

TheDave
04-29-2006, 06:37 PM
suck my a$$ newbie.

get to know me before you start slinging mudd numbnuts.

you have to stop holding back... let it out, tell us how you really feel :wiggle:

ZachKC
04-29-2006, 06:47 PM

haha

http://www.fla-keys.com/fishing/graphics/deepseafishing.jpg

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 06:48 PM
aloha back atcha my friend.

we're coming to the islands early next year, so hopefully we can hook with a local!!

nice post my friend. substance. how refreshing after 2 pages of crap.

while i dont agree, i can see the point.
a qb DOES need to get groomed under the starter. my issue is simply that i dont think that needed to happen for a few years yet.
also, it would be one thing if we had a team like the packers, cardinals, etc.
we dont.
we had a team that went 13-3.
we had a team that CLEARLY needed d-line help.
we had a team that was ONE playmaker on offense away from being virtually unstoppable.

to me, the situation was and is VERY simple.
when you have a team that close, you do WHATEVER it takes to get those last couple pieces of the puzzle.

what you dont do is take your first top 15 pick in over a decade and blow it on a guy who hopefully wont play for a few YEARS.
my frustration went beyond anything that i can describe.
it was my worst fears realized.

like i said, ill NEVER stop being a bronco fan, and my joy when we win and sadness when we lose will never change.
its not even a choice.
its my personality, and the broncos are a BIG part of my life.

that said, i can see now whats coming.
i HATE saying this, but as much as i love the broncos, i dont love many of the fans.
people have become "wine and cheesers", theyve become fickle, they run qb's out of town, they look at stats instead of watching games, and they dont seem to have half a clue what theyre watching even when they do see the games.
anyone who's been around a long time can see its a different landscape.

my heart will be with the team forever, and my butt will still be in the seat most games, but i honestly dont think i can (or want) to listen to the inevitable idiocy ill hear from fans at games EVERY week.
i think ill spend september 17th with my wife and take her somewhere nice (its our anniversary).
i think ill spend christmas eve with the fam.

i dont know.
im jusy pissed right now, and i think i have every reason to be.

Oragne 4 life I feel your pain and while I'm happy with the move try looking at it like this .

PLummer isnt being fired, he's been motivated to win it all and as long as he keeps making real improvements HE will be our starter. We arent going to replace a greatly improving winner that takes us all the way with a young guy just learning the game.

Jake will be 32 this fall and if as many of us feel he has reached pretty much his potential here, we DO need to groom a genuine replacement/backup nonetheless and who better to pick than a guy who can potentially keep us from falling off the map if Jake gets injured or has peaked in our systems and starts to slide.

Look at it as the best shot in the arm PLummer could have gotten to work as hard as he can every single day to make it happen and PROVE he deserves the job. If he sours under the competition that PRoves he is not our man. This is the true litmus test for JAke and he can step up and claim it all.

He wont lose the job unless he deserves too ... guaranteed!

At least now we have a real option in the making though, should Jake not make that next big step and Cutler can be developed gradually without having to rush him in too early.

Once in a very blue moon you get a Tom Brady in the lower rounds, but that is like winning the lottery and maybe the best QB in the draft fell almost right into our laps!

I know you are feeling blue right now, but keep your chin up, it will all work out for the best!

Aloha

04-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey Jake...sell your #16 jerseys now to get the best value...

www.ebay.com

Northman
04-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Yep, and we took a guy who is ultimately going to be better than Jake the Fake.

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Jake...sell your #16 jerseys now to get the best value...

www.ebay.com

I'll bet he gets more for one of them than you did for your Elvis Grbackup jersey.

GonzoLays
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
This is hilarious. I was gonna start a "Someone put Orange 4 Life on suicide watch; Broncos select Jay Cutler" thread after we took the QB. Sadly, the board was down. But right on cue, Orange 4 Life started the thread.

LMAO!!!

orange 4 life
04-29-2006, 07:00 PM
You don't like the pick so every other Bronco fan is now "stupid".

Crawl out of Plummer"s jock and take a look at the real world.
Shanahan has NO confidence in Plummer, neither do I.

You really need to learn to control you emotions and quit letting your mouth overwhelm your brain.

what the hell are you talking about?

that was an accusation to the team, not the fans, though i admit i do think a growing number of our fans arent that bright.
did YOU make that pick?
no?
then i wasnt talking about you then was i.
see how this works?

also, if you want to tell me to control my emotions then you can lose your a-hole comments about plummers jock.
dont heave an insult and then tell ME to control my emotions.
get a clue rainman.

Northman
04-29-2006, 07:03 PM
i HATE saying this, but as much as i love the broncos, i dont love many of the fans.
people have become "wine and cheesers",

Spoken like a TRUE whiner. What i find funny is your simple ass hasnt given a answer to the question raised in this thread. Who should we have taken genius? What ONE player is going to make us THAT much better? You have yet to answer that but answer is NO ONE. We had to address DEPTH issues you simple mother****er. And all the cock gobbling your doing on Jake when he is a 9 YEAR VETERAN making rookie mistakes in the biggest game of the year ( at home no less ) is just pathetic. YES, it was your boy who blew it.

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 07:04 PM

1: A stud DE
2: Santonio Moss(to me a much better choice than trading for a dinged up WR)

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 07:13 PM

while i dont agree, i can see the point.
a qb DOES need to get groomed under the starter. my issue is simply that i dont think that needed to happen for a few years yet.
also, it would be one thing if we had a team like the packers, cardinals, etc.
we dont.
we had a team that went 13-3.
we had a team that CLEARLY needed d-line help.
we had a team that was ONE playmaker on offense away from being virtually unstoppable.

to me, the situation was and is VERY simple.
when you have a team that close, you do WHATEVER it takes to get those last couple pieces of the puzzle.

what you dont do is take your first top 15 pick in over a decade and blow it on a guy who hopefully wont play for a few YEARS.
my frustration went beyond anything that i can describe.
it was my worst fears realized.

To me the above quote makes way too much sense. I'm not a big Jake Plummer fan myself, but I see him as being ok for at least four years. We other glaring issues NOW that need addressed. Here again, we pissed away the first day of the draft and did NOT draft a stud DE. Thats what you trade up for in the draft to get if you are the Denver Broncos. Even Santonio Moss is a better choice that trading away a pick for Javon Walker. I just hope Shanahan doesn't try to bring back MC.

12th man
04-29-2006, 07:18 PM
orange 4 life; your taking this the wrong way. I love plummer and I beleive he can take us to the next level. we got cutler for the future, for when plummer leaves, and if he dosn't take us to the next level by the time his contract is up, I think Shanny will want another qb. Why not cutler? I'll take him over leinart and young any day.and the players we lost are all replacable.

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 07:18 PM
WTF!!!

Trading up to grab Jay Culter had to be the dumbest freaking move in the history of Broncos drafting. Talk about wasting a first round pick, geeeee lets not address ANY of our need positions, you know TE, RB, WR or DE with that draft pick. Lets pick a guy who at best is going to sit for two more years. I seriously flipped out when they made that selection, ANYONE would have been better suited for us to take than Jay Cutler, and we lost a third round pick too. I swear if I wasnt a nice guy ( and living in Cali) I would march down to Dove Valley and shove the rest of their picks up their *ss!!!!!

Northman
04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
To me the above quote makes way too much sense. I'm not a big Jake Plummer fan myself, but I see him as being ok for at least four years. We other glaring issues NOW that need addressed. Here again, we pissed away the first day of the draft and did NOT draft a stud DE. Thats what you trade up for in the draft to get if you are the Denver Broncos. Even Santonio Moss is a better choice that trading away a pick for Javon Walker. I just hope Shanahan doesn't try to bring back MC.

Why? Defense is not as bad as your making it out to be. Could the D-line be improved? sure, but our defense still was ranked 4th in the NFL last year despite the lack of a serious Pass attack. Denver was planning on taking Jackson at #37 but NE cut them off and took him. Therefore, Denver had their backup plan and traded for Walker, a proven veteran. And your wrong, you dont have to move up in the draft to draft a stud DE. A high profile Qb within draft range becomes a much higher priority at that point. If Denver had stayed at #22 they would have never played for Cutler. The way Denver handled the draft today is the way you should handle opportunities like they got today. You dont blow your load on one guy when you have multiple issues to address and needing some serious Depth ( especially at the Qb position ). If Fake goes down we are ****ing screwed. Now, we dont have to worry about that.

dnvrbrncos
04-29-2006, 07:26 PM

we're coming to the islands early next year, so hopefully we can hook with a local!!

nice post my friend. substance. how refreshing after 2 pages of crap.

blah blah blah

Lemme see...I can think of about 6 players who we drafted or traded for last year that had a lot of heads shaking and angry folk. Those six helped us get to the AFC championship. I for one will withhold judgement and take a wait and see approach.

12th man
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
why is it every year we call that years draft the worst. then people act fvckin stupid and say how dumb shanny is. I think some people need to stop acting like whinney b1tches and grow up, and realize we did good things in this draft.

ever year, it never fails. it's getting old!

ZachKC
04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm not a big Jake Plummer fan myself, but I see him as being ok for at least four years. .
Wow, what a dream.

MadCity
04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Talk about wasting a first round pick, geeeee lets not address ANY of our need positions, you know TE, RB, WR or DE with that draft pick.

I know what you mean, it's not like we didn't get Javon Walker or draft one of the better pass catching tight ends in the draft. Oh wait.......

As for running back, Ron Dayne performed great for us every time we put him in last year and it seems like we can throw anyone in there and they'll produce so why not give the guy a shot?

Lets pick a guy who at best is going to sit for two more years.

Again, I know what you mean. Why in the world would we want to think about the future? We have to win now, now, NOW!

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I dont care what anyone says this was freaking dumb. First you draft a guy that is going to sit on the bench for two years, when you could have at least traded up to get one impact player this year. Ok with the trade for Walker. but we should have gotten something out of it if he doesnt play for us. But then WTF!!! We pass on Pope, and Brian Calhoun, if anyone here really thinks Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell are taking us anywhere please speak up. I forgot about DE, o wait so did the Broncos. I swear if I lived in Denver I would march up to Dove Valley and shove the rest of our picks up the Broncos staff's *$$!!

SAGE
04-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Lemme see...I can think of about 6 players who we drafted or traded for last year that had a lot of heads shaking and angry folk. Those six helped us get to the AFC championship. I for one will withhold judgement and take a wait and see approach.

You mean 2

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Draft picks never pan out on the day they're taken. It takes time.

Northman
04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Your a ****ing idiot. What? no one was paying attention to you in O4L's thread now you had to start your own? Can someone please ban this ****ing wannabe!

SAGE
04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Again, I know what you mean. Why in the world would we want to think about the future? We have to win now, now, NOW!

That WOULD be the sane thing to do when you're one game from the SuperBowl.
You add those little pieces to push you OVER the TOP.

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/images/baby%20crying.jpg

MadCity
04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
You mean 2

DWill, Foxworth, Courtney Brown, Michael Myers, Ebenezer Ekuban, Gerard Warren.

Keep in mind, he did say drafted or traded for.

Atlas
04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
I dont care what anyone says !!

We don't care what you say either

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Why? Defense is not as bad as your making it out to be. Could the D-line be improved? sure, but our defense still was ranked 4th in the NFL last year despite the lack of a serious Pass attack. Denver was planning on taking Jackson at #37 but NE cut them off and took him. Therefore, Denver had their backup plan and traded for Walker, a proven veteran. And your wrong, you dont have to move up in the draft to draft a stud DE. A high profile Qb within draft range becomes a much higher priority at that point. If Denver had stayed at #22 they would have never played for Cutler. The way Denver handled the draft today is the way you should handle opportunities like they got today. You dont blow your load on one guy when you have multiple issues to address and needing some serious Depth ( especially at the Qb position ). If Fake goes down we are ****ing screwed. Now, we dont have to worry about that.
How long do you expect Jake to be around? Last year was his make or break year and I would have been more than happy to see him have a bad year and get rid of him.(I can't believe I'm saying this but....)Jake had a great year and proved he can play within himself. I know he sucked at the AFC championship but so did our defense. How many times last year was the lack of QB sacks reasons we lost. I can think of several. Sure QB "Pressures" were promoted but the QB can still get rid of the ball. We needed a top flight TE or another WR for Jake. Our defense wasn't that bad but we were 1 or 2 players away from being totally dominate. A stud DE would have taken us to the next level. I agree we need another QB but I think we could have addressed that in a later round or by trading for a veteran. JMHO.

SAGE
04-29-2006, 07:42 PM
DWill, Foxworth, Courtney Brown, Michael Myers, Ebenezer Ekuban, Gerard Warren.

Keep in mind, he did say drafted or traded for.

I stand corrected.

Casper Bronco
04-29-2006, 07:43 PM
1: A stud DE
2: Santonio Moss(to me a much better choice than trading for a dinged up WR)

1. Who is this stud DE that was available at 15?!?!

2. Who is Santonio Moss? We should have taken Santonio Holmes or Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson at 15?!?!

Get real!

Hercules Rockefeller
04-29-2006, 07:44 PM
This is an '07 draft, even with Walker. Just like last year's draft, despite DWill's and Foxy's contributions, was an '06 draft.

Sodak
04-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Your a ****ing idiot.

You're. Contraction for "you are". :poke: :militia:

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Your a ****ing idiot. What? no one was paying attention to you in O4L's thread now you had to start your own? Can someone please ban this ****ing wannabe!

Well if you wanna take potshots at each other as opposed to the draft you little nobody sh!t then lets have it. Its called an opinion, which I have every right to have. Ask the Packers how Aaron Rodgers is turning out for them, hmmmm yep same situation, highly touted qb that is just going to sit for two years. My real problem is that we took that TE instead of Calhoun or Pope. We didn't address our needs and most of the people here are going to be crying about a lack of pressure this year since we didnt take a DE.

I will take a guess that the Broncs do look up Priest Holmes to get in our backfield if the Chiefs release him, should be able to get him cheap considering the nature of his injury and his age, he might have a couple decent years left till we draft a rb or trade for one.

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Wow, what a dream.

Well, the way I see it now that we have invested in Jay Cutler. He needs to play. I say let him sit and learn for a year and then trade Plummer and give the kid the keys to the BMW. We used a #1 and he needs to play.

ZachKC
04-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, the way I see it now that we have invested in Jay Cutler. He needs to play. I say let him sit and learn for a year and then trade Plummer and give the kid the keys to the BMW. We used a #1 and he needs to play.
Sorry I can't read your post. I can't cut through the dreamy haze created by the paradise that would follow if Plummer were the QB of the Broncos for another 4 years. To bad for me you got Cutler.

DenverBrit
04-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Time for some of the distraught faithful to settle down and have a beer....chilled of course!

Lemme see now. The Broncos get what is widely regarded as the best all round QB in this years draft. They then trade a 2nd for a pro-bowl receiver who is coming into his prime.....yes, acl injury and all.... but aren't you confident that the medical/training staff have a clue?

All this activity comes from a couple of very late 1st rounders deftly upgraded into picks that give the Broncos a QB for the future and an heir to Rod Smith. When did the Broncos last get an opportunity to pick that high? 92? Maddox? More to the point, when will they next have a season when they play so badly that they get another crack at an early 1st rounder and a QB for the future....... who is not a journeyman? ^5

All in all, a great day, though time will tell. :yayaya:

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/images/baby%20crying.jpg

Ahhh one of those eat anything your team feeds you fans, thats great.

broncolife
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Bunkley would have been nice at 11

Northman
04-29-2006, 07:58 PM
How long do you expect Jake to be around? Last year was his make or break year and I would have been more than happy to see him have a bad year and get rid of him.(I can't believe I'm saying this but....)Jake had a great year and proved he can play within himself. I know he sucked at the AFC championship but so did our defense. How many times last year was the lack of QB sacks reasons we lost. I can think of several. Sure QB "Pressures" were promoted but the QB can still get rid of the ball. We needed a top flight TE or another WR for Jake. Our defense wasn't that bad but we were 1 or 2 players away from being totally dominate. A stud DE would have taken us to the next level. I agree we need another QB but I think we could have addressed that in a later round or by trading for a veteran. JMHO.

All points well taken, but i still think when you have the opportunity or " chance " to get a high profile Qb ( something that doesnt come along too often ) with Denver than you take your shot. Like i said, if we hadnt moved up to 15 we wouldnt be talking about Cutler now. Chances are we would have snagged either Holmes or Jackson at #22. There's still a lot of pre-football stuff to deal with, the rest of the draft, free agency, and so on. I have a feeling ( and no one has really addressed this yet ) that Shanny is using the draft for DEPTH but may address other issues in FA. Your right, we are very close to going to the big dance but NO ONE that WE could get in the draft would make a immediate impact without risking losing a lot of draft picks. One DE is not going to get us over the hump. You said it yourself, there were a lot of issues to address and trying to move up for a DE is too risky. Fear not my friend, the draft will be for Depth issues. Shanny isnt done shoring up this team.

04-29-2006, 07:59 PM

I couldn't believe you guys didnt take one of the defensive tackles. I'd have been pissed. They could have really helped you.

Northman
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Character issues with Bunkley. Too risky. Moc should have been a sign that Shanny wasnt going to risk a high pick like that.

Clockwork Orange
04-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Ahhh one of those eat anything your team feeds you fans, thats great.

Ahh, one of those "I'm gonna start multiple threads to let everyone know that I've got a case of the red ass because the Broncos didn't do everything I wanted them to fans." Your last little tantrum got merged, bright boy. Take a hint.

And FYI, I liked what they did today with the exception of the TE they took at 61.

freak6
04-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Mannie Lawson was the DE freakazoid at 15.

4.5 speed.

6-5

44 inch vert

SICKNESS, that was who we should have taken for immediate impact. Shanny obviously feels VERY secure in his job, as he takes a QB for the future, solidfying his position within the organization as if it needed it. In Shanny we trust.

I think Lawson would have given us a good push from edge when our DE were getting no pressure on Big Ben on 3rd and long, allowing him to complete pass after pass.

broncobum6162
1. Who is this stud DE that was available at 15?!?!

2. Who is Santonio Moss? We should have taken Santonio Holmes or Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson at 15?!?!

Get real!

Hmmmmmmmm.......... Lets see

1.Defensive Ends. Tamba Hali drafted #20, Manny Lawson #22, Mathias Kiwanuke #32. Mario W would have been the best but no way we were getting him.

2.My bad on the recievers. I ment Santonio Holmes from Ohio State.

Killericon
Did'nt people have that same reaction last year when we drafted three CBs?

I did'nt like Cutler before....but if Shanahan likes him, I like him too.

Not to mention Walker...Boo-yea!

Spider
I dont care what anyone says this was freaking dumb. First you draft a guy that is going to sit on the bench for two years, when you could have at least traded up to get one impact player this year. Ok with the trade for Walker. but we should have gotten something out of it if he doesnt play for us. But then WTF!!! We pass on Pope, and Brian Calhoun, if anyone here really thinks Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell are taking us anywhere please speak up. I forgot about DE, o wait so did the Broncos. I swear if I lived in Denver I would march up to Dove Valley and shove the rest of our picks up the Broncos staff's *$$!!
PMS is a bítch

TheDave
04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
100 posts...100 posts

Sodak
04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
22 posts and already making friends. Great job...

Northman
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Well if you wanna take potshots at each other as opposed to the draft you little nobody sh!t then lets have it. Its called an opinion, which I have every right to have. Ask the Packers how Aaron Rodgers is turning out for them, hmmmm yep same situation, highly touted qb that is just going to sit for two years. My real problem is that we took that TE instead of Calhoun or Pope. We didn't address our needs and most of the people here are going to be crying about a lack of pressure this year since we didnt take a DE.

I will take a guess that the Broncs do look up Priest Holmes to get in our backfield if the Chiefs release him, should be able to get him cheap considering the nature of his injury and his age, he might have a couple decent years left till we draft a rb or trade for one.

1. You posted the same bull**** in another thread yet started a new one and wasted space.

2. Aaron Rodges/Bret Favre's situation is a hell of lot different. Favre has been wishy washy the last two years regarding his retirement. The Packers had to make a move last year not knowing what he was going to do.

3. The lack of Qb pressure didnt kill us in the Championship game. 4 Turnovers from a 9 year veteran did.

4. If Jake goes down and we have no backup Qb ( worthy Qb ) we aint doing **** this year. We had to add depth at that position and took the best qualified player at that position.

Sodak
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
100 posts...100 posts

Seconded...

Anyone care to give a third?

RhymesayersDU
04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok with the trade for Walker. but we should have gotten something out of it if he doesnt play for us.

Uhh... Are you retarded? Do you think that the Broncos make that trade without making sure we could get a contract worked out and that his knee was healed?

What? Should the Packers have given us a draft pick simply for taking him off their hands?

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 08:11 PM
All points well taken, but i still think when you have the opportunity or " chance " to get a high profile Qb ( something that doesnt come along too often ) with Denver than you take your shot. Like i said, if we hadnt moved up to 15 we wouldnt be talking about Cutler now. Chances are we would have snagged either Holmes or Jackson at #22. There's still a lot of pre-football stuff to deal with, the rest of the draft, free agency, and so on. I have a feeling ( and no one has really addressed this yet ) that Shanny is using the draft for DEPTH but may address other issues in FA. Your right, we are very close to going to the big dance but NO ONE that WE could get in the draft would make a immediate impact without risking losing a lot of draft picks. One DE is not going to get us over the hump. You said it yourself, there were a lot of issues to address and trying to move up for a DE is too risky. Fear not my friend, the draft will be for Depth issues. Shanny isnt done shoring up this team.

I'm not gonna call this pick a waste. But now that we've invested a #1 on a great prospect, we need him playing every down in 2007. If he sits for more than a year then every year after, the waste factor goes up. Let him sit and learn for one year and then let him have the reins. Hopefully Jake has a good year again and we can trade if for some high draft picks.

AlphaOmega
04-29-2006, 08:11 PM

I agree...........as long as Jake "the mistake" is pulling the trigger, we will never win the super bowl! Go Cutler!

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
1. You posted the same bull**** in another thread yet started a new one and wasted space.

2. Aaron Rodges/Bret Favre's situation is a hell of lot different. Favre has been wishy washy the last two years regarding his retirement. The Packers had to make a move last year not knowing what he was going to do.

3. The lack of Qb pressure didnt kill us in the Championship game. 4 Turnovers from a 9 year veteran did.

4. If Jake goes down and we have no backup Qb ( worthy Qb ) we aint doing **** this year. We had to add depth at that position and took the best qualified player at that position.

1. It is going to take Cutler at least two years to learn the offense, didnt play in anything close to the Broncos offense in Vandy. Two years of study is two years of study, doesnt matter the reasons why.

2. No we lost because on third and long the Steelers hit slants and outs for first downs because we couldnt get to the qb. Everyone knows that Plummer plays better from in front because you take it out of his hands, thus when we got down because the Steelers drove the ball, he had to try and come back.

3. Tell me how many veteran free agents there are going to be that we could sign as a real backup that would cost a lot less than an 11th pick qb that is going to eat a huge amount of cash and count big against the salary cap for the next three years. Then if he has a good year when he does play he will be a free agent within one or two years and demand massive money.

just because you hate Jake doesnt make this the right move.

Casper Bronco
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmm.......... Lets see

1.Defensive Ends. Tamba Hali drafted #20, Manny Lawson #22, Mathias Kiwanuke #32. Mario W would have been the best but no way we were getting him.

2.My bad on the recievers. I ment Santonio Holmes from Ohio State.

All of them are reaches at 15 dude!

Den Smith 49
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Did'nt people have that same reaction last year when we drafted three CBs?

I did'nt like Cutler before....but if Shanahan likes him, I like him too.

Not to mention Walker...Boo-yea!

What are you talkin about Mike Shanahan coaches football for a living, what does he know?

Now orange fur lice posts on message boards, he's obiously the one who knows what he's talking about.

P.S. We'll keep your seat open on the bandwagon when your ready to calm down.

SactownOrangeSunday
04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Uhh... Are you retarded? Do you think that the Broncos make that trade without making sure we could get a contract worked out and that his knee was healed?

What? Should the Packers have given us a draft pick simply for taking him off their hands?
Are you retarded? Coming back from an ACL tear is the most painful and limiting injury an athlete can probably have, that is at least somewhat common. Hard to cut and accelerate, you dont know what this injury is going to mean until you get him out on the field and test it, which they didnt get the chance to do. That said I support this move, makes our recieving core very very solid, IF Lelie decides to accept being the three receiver and doesnt demand a trade.

You dont know the Broncos are going to be able to sign him long term, what if he holds off to see what kind of year he has or if he even likes playing for Denver, he wants BIG money, kinda hard for us considering the cap situation and paying a 11th pick backup qb his cash.

No the Packers should have given us a second next year conditional on Walker not playing a certain number of games for us.

Northman
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not gonna call this pick a waste. But now that we've invested a #1 on a great prospect, we need him playing every down in 2007. If he sits for more than a year then every year after, the waste factor goes up. Let him sit and learn for one year and then let him have the reins. Hopefully Jake has a good year again and we can trade if for some high draft picks.

Not necessarily. Rivers has sat behind Brees for what? 2-3 years? Now Rivers is going to get the reigns of the wagon. So barring a injury or just right out bad play by Fake Cutler will sit and learn. But he will be available and ready to go if something should happen. I feel better with him behind Fake rather than BVP.

Northman
04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
1. It is going to take Cutler at least two years to learn the offense, didnt play in anything close to the Broncos offense in Vandy. Two years of study is two years of study, doesnt matter the reasons why.

2. No we lost because on third and long the Steelers hit slants and outs for first downs because we couldnt get to the qb. Everyone knows that Plummer plays better from in front because you take it out of his hands, thus when we got down because the Steelers drove the ball, he had to try and come back.

3. Tell me how many veteran free agents there are going to be that we could sign as a real backup that would cost a lot less than an 11th pick qb that is going to eat a huge amount of cash and count big against the salary cap for the next three years. Then if he has a good year when he does play he will be a free agent within one or two years and demand massive money.

just because you hate Jake doesnt make this the right move.

First off, i dont hate Fake. I have just lost faith in him and since he needs to be restrained in order to be effective doesnt speak volumes for him as a GOTO player. Secondly, yea we were horrible on 3 and long with Pitt but we were still in the game until Fake started turning the ball over. We didnt keep up with Pitt on the scoreboard and it put too much pressure on the defense. Some of you act like our Defense was a total shutdown D, it was not. As for free agents, players will be cut and signed from here till camp so who knows who will turn up. In order to make the player minimum some pretty decent players will be cut.

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 08:29 PM
All of them are reaches at 15 dude!

Thats your opinion and I have mine. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

2KBack
04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
for most I don't think this pick is a case of being unhappy with Plummer, as much as it was an opportunity to majorly upgrade in the near future.

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Not necessarily. Rivers has sat behind Brees for what? 2-3 years? Now Rivers is going to get the reigns of the wagon. So barring a injury or just right out bad play by Fake Cutler will sit and learn. But he will be available and ready to go if something should happen. I feel better with him behind Fake rather than BVP.

Well, that was River's fault since he held out his first training camp. I'm not a fan of sending out a rookie QB to the wolves(yea, I know, Ben Rothlesberger but he's a freak) . But if he's worth investing a number 1 then try him out after a year or so. And since I'm not a big Jake fan, let him go while he's worth something. I do agree on the BVP issue. He's fun to watch but he's still pretty raw and I don't think he has the potential that Cutler has.

Northman
04-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, that was River's fault since he held out his first training camp. I'm not a fan of sending out a rookie QB to the wolves(yea, I know, Ben Rothlesberger but he's a freak) . But if he's worth investing a number 1 then try him out after a year or so. And since I'm not a big Jake fan, let him go while he's worth something. I do agree on the BVP issue. He's fun to watch but he's still pretty raw and I don't think he has the potential that Cutler has.

Well look, if Fake fails to perform well i admit ill be the first one calling for Cutler to come in. But you also have to remember that Ben was ranked 3rd behind Manning and Rivers. Its a lot similiar to what we have with Cutler and Ben went to a school lower in the fish pond than Jay. Im not sure what you get for Fake now because if he cant cut it here than no one is really going to go out on a limb for him.

Merlin
04-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Are you retarded?
I'm guessing your persona in a previous life was Bloody Sunday, and if not, you could be twins.

broncobum6162
04-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Well look, if Fake fails to perform well i admit ill be the first one calling for Cutler to come in. But you also have to remember that Ben was ranked 3rd behind Manning and Rivers. Its a lot similiar to what we have with Cutler and Ben went to a school lower in the fish pond than Jay. Im not sure what you get for Fake now because if he cant cut it here than no one is really going to go out on a limb for him.

I think Jake probably has at least 3 good years left in him. Trade him after 1 and get maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder to replace the ones we gave up today for Walker and Cutler. There is a market for QBs on the twilight of their careers. But maybe by then he might be content to stay here as a backup, who knows. The decisions have been made and we have to live with them.
Its not the end of the world but I guess it goes to show that we as fans never know what is going thru Shanahans head. He's a tough nut to figure out. I guess thats why they call him the "Genius".

Casper Bronco
04-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Thats your opinion and I have mine. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Sounds good!

Northman
04-29-2006, 08:57 PM
I think Jake probably has at least 3 good years left in him. Trade him after 1 and get maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder to replace the ones we gave up today for Walker and Cutler. There is a market for QBs on the twilight of their careers. But maybe by then he might be content to stay here as a backup, who knows. The decisions have been made and we have to live with them.
Its not the end of the world but I guess it goes to show that we as fans never know what is going thru Shanahans head. He's a tough nut to figure out. I guess thats why they call him the "Genius".

That much is true, very true.

DBroncos4life
04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
This is really no different then what Pitt did two years ago.

55CrushEm
04-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Sure, Trevor may have been our best d-lineman...but he still UNDERACHIEVED last year.....THREE friggin' sacks !!! THREE !!! Too much money for little production is BAD......the NFL is all about VALUE.

And the Lelie comment.....ummm, trading him would be GOOD. The one true deep threat on our team, and he gets ONE touchdown all year......

Not sure what your thinkin.....

Mtbrncofn
04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Now what would draft day be without a little ( or a lot in this case ) drama!

Worst part about draft day = n00bs coming in and trying to own. Key word- trying.

Rascal
04-29-2006, 10:40 PM

not even close.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

Get a grip. When Cutler starts in two years and is kicking ass and taking names I'm bringing this thread up. We got a steal at number 11 with this guy and I'm excited for the Broncos future. We went to the AFC championship game last year with this team and I don't see why we can't expect similar things.

BroncoFiend
04-29-2006, 10:48 PM

not even close.
distance. time. maybe.

jake

no offense man but you're a spoiled idiot. there are so many teams who deserve to have their fans turn their back on them and the broncos are NOT one of them. They put a winning product on the field year in and year out, and now because they saw an opportunity to get a franchise QB that they rated very high you're going to stop supporting the team (financially)?

Go be a fan of the chiefs or the jets or the saints for a couple of years to learn some perspective.

azbroncfan
04-29-2006, 10:49 PM

that was an accusation to the team, not the fans, though i admit i do think a growing number of our fans arent that bright.
did YOU make that pick?
no?
see how this works?

also, if you want to tell me to control my emotions then you can lose your a-hole comments about plummers jock.
get a clue rainman.

I like jake as much as the next guy other than orange 4 life, he is the biggest Jake homer since the sorority girls at ASU when jake went there. Jake didn't lose his starting Job yet but I can see why you got your panties in a bunch.

ROD80
04-29-2006, 10:52 PM
First of all, everyone keeps saying that Trevor was our best D-lineman last year. Yes, he was in the first Chiefs game...............and that's it. Gerard Warren was our best D-lineman last year, hands down. We re-signed him and Lepsis and Nails. Everyone keeps saying we did nothing in free agency, but we retained our best players and got rid of our expendable players.

I may be a noob to the board, but I've been lurking here for 2 years (reading the insightful and well thought out threads that you Bronco loving fans have discussed) and atleast feel like I know what is going on.

I think in a few years, everyone will be praising Shanny for getting a top Qb out of the draft. Yes, I was hoping that we were going to get Bunley when the trade was announced, but after several hours of thought. I like the idea of Cutler coming aboard.

watermock
04-29-2006, 10:53 PM
You are a whiner. This isn't Maddox. That was a powerplay by Reeves.

Tredici
04-29-2006, 11:48 PM
When the Broncos start playing to "just win next season" Bowlen turns into a creepy Art Modell. Hoist the trophy once and die content.

Thank God there's better vision than that running this team.

watermock
04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Comparing Elway/Maddox to Plummer/Cutler is just plain idiotic.

bronco militia
04-29-2006, 11:58 PM

uh what? God I hope not

Nuggets4
04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread, but I just want to be a part of it so when it's named the "Greatest Thread Of All Time", I can say I participated.

Kaylore
04-30-2006, 01:59 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread, but I just want to be a part of it so when it's named the "Greatest Thread Of All Time", I can say I participated. LOL Lets make T-shirts.

"I was there during the 'Stupidest Move in Team History' thread."

Dudeskey
04-30-2006, 02:00 AM
uh what? God I hope not

No kidding, he's got more arm than Brees does.

gunns
04-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Sure, Trevor may have been our best d-lineman...but he still UNDERACHIEVED last year.....THREE friggin' sacks !!! THREE !!! Too much money for little production is BAD......the NFL is all about VALUE.

And the Lelie comment.....ummm, trading him would be GOOD. The one true deep threat on our team, and he gets ONE touchdown all year......

Not sure what your thinkin.....

What he was thinkin was that Trevor IS gone, we need an impact DE and we didn't address it in FA and a DE we pick up tomorrow is probably not going to have an impact this year. In Brown I don't trust. As far as Lelie being traded that was posted before we got Walker. I think most people aren't so much against the pick of Cutler as it is he will not be an impact player this year and we were so close and what we gave up for it when we may not have had to.

I don't know enough about Cutler to be sure he will be our savior or he won't but I sure hope he is our QB of the future. I want to feel confident again everytime our QB walks on the field.

NFLBRONCO
04-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Then first thing shanny said was he can make all the throws. To me this opens up your playbook if you can use whole field. Plummer has done well but, face it he can't make all the throws. I think Shanny actually likes Plummer but, he realizes his shortcomings and safe mode playbook. Shanny likes to open it up not play a restricted offense.

-Slap-
04-30-2006, 02:22 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread, but I just want to be a part of it so when it's named the "Greatest Thread Of All Time", I can say I participated.
Meltdown threads rule. Had we traded up for Leinart, SoCal and Jake4Life would be singing a duet right now.

Clockwork Orange
04-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Meltdown threads rule. Had we traded up for Leinart, SoCal and Jake4Life would be singing a duet right now.

And TJ would be openly taunting and baiting them.

JCMElway
04-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Seconded...

Anyone care to give a third?

I will definetly give a third, fourth and fifth on this. It keeps Trolls from BSing in here and makes sure that newcomers see how we do business before they shoot their mouth off.

I hate to qute Jim Rome but if you're gonna start a thread "Have a solid take and do not suck."

JCMElway
04-30-2006, 02:27 AM

I disagree. Many QBs have been burned by putting them in too early. With Jake here we have thye luxury of getting Cutler in there whenever Shanny thinks he is ready.

Putting pressure on Jake and Cutler is a mistake at this point.

ClevelandBronco
04-30-2006, 02:31 AM
LOL Lets make T-shirts.

I'm in for a T-shirt. We can wear them in 2026 when Jay is inducted into the Ring of Fame.

Breck Bronc
04-30-2006, 02:38 AM
How about a t-shirt calling out Bronco fans for orange4life to wear to home games?

Northman
04-30-2006, 08:22 AM
and now because they saw an opportunity to get a franchise QB that they rated very high you're going to stop supporting the team (financially)?

Im glad you brought this up because thats the part the O4L and some of the others dont get. Denver is competing for a Championship every year and they do fairly well duing the regular season. Which means they end up at the bottom of the draft year in and year out. This was the first year we really had a shot at a decent Qb for our future so we took the chance and got him. When your a successful franchise those opportunities dont come around all that often.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-30-2006, 08:25 AM
We need a "Meltdown Moments" forum... move this thread and a few other classics there..

broncobum6162
04-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Im glad you brought this up because thats the part the O4L and some of the others dont get. Denver is competing for a Championship every year and they do fairly well duing the regular season. Which means they end up at the bottom of the draft year in and year out. This was the first year we really had a shot at a decent Qb for our future so we took the chance and got him. When your a successful franchise those opportunities dont come around all that often.

That is very true. And after sleeping on it, the pick doesn't sound as far fetched as yesterday. It just totally caught me off guard.

Ballhawk
04-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Cutler is IMO the best QB to come out in the last 3 years (maybe on Par with Big Ben). You just do not pass that up, period. I never dreamed we would get him with STL, AZ, OAK, and BALT all in front of us. Even felt Minn would leapfrog us.

Man I am so geeked today!!!

Odysseus
04-30-2006, 09:48 AM
LOL Lets make T-shirts.

Where is the simile for that?

I want a T-Shirt!!!

I don't think bagging on EITHER Jake shows any integrity guys. I'm proud to be a Plummer homer BUT....

REPOST:
I don't think people realize what really happened. Jake Plummer picked up a pro bowl WR to augment two starting WR. He picked up a TE that is projected to start. Everyone getting mad at Shanahan because they think Jake got sold out needs to stop buying into the media. Jake recieved TWO new offensive weapons and will probably get another one on day two. IF Jake is the QB he is supposed to be than the Broncos are giving him what he needs to win. Jake needs to use the media to his advantage and stay focused. If this kid eventually beats Jake out of a job which will happen if he's as good as his press then my hope is Jake stays with the Broncos as a backup QB for a year or two. That would make the Broncos solid under center for years. Is that reasonable? Maybe not. It really depends on Jake.

Mike Shanahan did what was best for the franchise. He didn't bring in some doofus in the first round but a legitimate starting QB that doesn't come around every year. Whose coming in next's years draft? If the Broncos do well, like they always do, they might not get another shot like this. This was a must take deal. I don't feel sorry for Jake. He has got us in the playoffs every year. All he has to do is carry this team one more time and he can finish his career wherever he wants to at that point. I am hoping that Jake plays lights out next year so that Cutler can have time to season. I

I'm sure Jake is saying to himself "This sucks" and he's ranting privately but he's got to find that next level in order to get respected in the NFL. He made his supporters and fans look stupid. He made some very stupid sports journalists appear to be almost worth the 900# billing. He has to stop having an explaination or worst people apologize for him. Jake needs to get it done.

When you get the kind of disrespect that Jake suffered last year Shanahan isn't cutting ties but he has a reputation to maintain and part of that is keeping his word to the fans, his franchise and his own perpetuity. If he didn't get Cutler he would have been hanging his own fate on Jakes health, mental attitude, and off season training and that, from a business standpoint, is just stupid. This is a good move for Jake, the franchise and the fan base.

Sassy
04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Anyone seen Jake today? Just wondering if he's ok...(I mean our Jake not Plummer ;D )

Northman
04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Personally dont care.

Tredici
04-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I hope he comes back. 2nd thread in a couple of weeks where this new economic theory of hurting the supply side by not reducing the demand has come up. I really want more info on that. Plus I'd be happy to purchase those tickets so Jake can show the Broncos his displeasure.

Orange_Beard
04-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Anyone seen Jake today? Just wondering if he's ok...(I mean our Jake not Plummer ;D )

He locked himself in the bathroom, won't come out.

Sassy
04-30-2006, 10:08 AM
As long as he isn't OD'ing on Orange Crush ...;)

Sassy
04-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I hope he comes back. 2nd thread in a couple of weeks where this new economic theory of hurting the supply side by not reducing the demand has come up. I really want more info on that. Plus I'd be happy to purchase those tickets so Jake can show the Broncos his displeasure.
Yep...I'm sure any of us would be glad to take those tickets off his hands. :sunshine:

Crowpointer
04-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Doesn't look like Bowlen will ever say "this ones for Jake"

BroncoFanDoug
04-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Heard a lot of talk that Cutler is too much a pick for the future - that we need to pick for now.

I believe that a great team - or more precisely - a great organization, must always be balancing the short-term and the longer term. And as a very long term Bronco-Fan, I want it that way. I want them to win SBs today, I want them to win SBs tomorrow.

I like Jake. I always have and I always will. I have never been under the impression that he or will become a top-5 QB, and I think he is good enough to take us all the way if everything else falls in place (a big if).

QBs are, well let's say, a reasonably important position. It is clear that Cutler could become a franchise QB, and has the potential to be top-tier. It is clear that this was a draft top-heavy with top caliber QBs. It is clear that the Broncos have very few chances to draft a top caliber QB (and I would be very sad if this became not-true).

This was an incredible opportunity for the Broncos to position themselves competitively for the next decade. I like that thinking.

Oh, and I still want to win a SB this year!

04-30-2006, 10:21 AM

:rofl:

Tredici
04-30-2006, 10:27 AM

You must not have been listening closely yesterday.

Sassy
04-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I love Jake...but I'd take the "This one's for Jay" too ;D
I may just buy a Plummer jersey...they were on clearance for $49.99 at Sport City yesterday.

heydensmom
04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
I love Jake...but I'd take the "This one's for Jay" too ;D
I may just buy a Plummer jersey...they were on clearance for $49.99 at Sport City yesterday.
LOL ut oh...do the people at Sport City know something we don't! Ha! Hilarious!

Sassy
04-30-2006, 10:38 AM
LOL ut oh...do the people at Sport City know something we don't! Ha! Hilarious!
Yeah! I'm hoping it's the annual end of the season clearance...Ha!
They didn't have any football stuff left! LOL!

The jersey was orange though...I don't have much luck with those wearing well...

TD30
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I love the pick and while I appreciate Jake let's face it this team was more than just one or two players away from the big game last year. While the team has made some strides in shoring up talent for the next couple of years we are in the process of getting better.

This off-season has been a bit of a wash we lost a good d-lineman, running back, TE and possibly Lelie and retained some people that we are going to need to get it done in the future. Cutler, Walker and of course more Browns will hopefully take us that way.

Seriously the Broncos were beneficiaries of other teams misfortunes last year. They were barely able to beat a semi healthy Pats team, would of been smoked by the Colts and were smoked and outclassed by the Steelers. I love the Broncos but it's very unrealistic to believe that we were going to have it line up for us this upcoming season like it did last year.

Next year we need to focus on our pass rush for sure and get bigger on the oline. Were getting closer to where we need to be.....Until then let's see how much noise we can make!!!!

RhymesayersDU
04-30-2006, 12:16 PM
For everybody upset:
The winners
1. Denver Broncos: Mike Shanahan whipped all the critics by acquiring the Cleveland Browns defensive line in 2005 and parlaying those acquisitions into a trip to the AFC title game. This year, Shanahan draws nothing but praise. Instead of drafting wide receiver Santonio Holmes with the 15th pick, the Broncos traded up to the 11th pick to get quarterback Jay Cutler. Then they found the reciever that they needed, trading just a second-round pick to the Packers for Javon Walker. Clearly, they were the biggest winners on the first day of the draft. Shanahan hasn't had any luck drafting receivers, so being able to trade for Walker instead of drafting a reciever was a better move. Getting a veteran as talented as Walker for a second-round pick is a steal. Shanahan set the franchise up well for the short-term and the long-term. The Broncos get Walker for the 2006 season, and they have Cutler as the quarterback of the future.

So, in conclusion, we do want to win this year. And, we want to win in the future too. I know that people on message boards always know more than football teams and analysts, but get a clue. The whole football world has praised the Broncos decisions, and rightfully so. We killed it this year.

Archer81
04-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Draft a QB with all the talent in the world, drew comparisons to Brett Favre, and people still bitch? ****ing A people...

:Broncos:

Odysseus
04-30-2006, 12:27 PM
It's too bad I'm banned from the chat room.

Cito Pelon
04-30-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't see a problem with drafting a QB that apparently is a hell of a football player. Sometimes you have to roll the dice on a kid in the first round, and rolling the dice in the first round, you do it for a QB, a RB, a S, a DE maybe. These are some of the positions that are way, way too expensive to fill in FA. I'd be happy to see every couple years the team roll the dice on a first-rpunder that seems to be exceptionally good. Give up some lower rounders, 'cause first rounders you get for 6 years and they come one hell of a lot cheaper than FA's. Sure it's a crap shoot, but if you're pretty sure the dice are gonna fall your way, do it.

And the Broncos are going to have a fine season this year. Everybody from top to bottom is going to have to work hard, do everything they did right last year, and visualize making plays they came up a little short on last year, and voila! the team is challenging again for the AFC Title.

This year is gonna be the same as last year and the year before - teams are gonna mark the Broncos on their schedule as a team they have to beat if they want to make the playoffs, they'll crowd the line to stop the run at all costs,, they'll loosen up if the passing game clicks just that little bit better where they convert 2-3 more first downs/gm, get one more passing TD/gm. That's the key, the passing O has to click just a little bit better where the running O can face a little bit looser LOS's. So we'll see. I never expected the team to look at last year's accomplishments as failures, I expceted the FO to look at last year's acommpishments as a springboard to a team this year that is hungry and wants to eat somebody's lunch.

2KBack
04-30-2006, 01:52 PM
This year is gonna be the same as last year and the year before - teams are gonna mark the Broncos on their schedule as a team they have to beat if they want to make the playoffs, they'll crowd the line to stop the run at all costs,, they'll loosen up if the passing game clicks just that little bit better where they convert 2-3 more first downs/gm, get one more passing TD/gm. That's the key, the passing O has to click just a little bit better where the running O can face a little bit looser LOS's. So we'll see. I never expected the team to look at last year's accomplishments as failures, I expceted the FO to look at last year's acommpishments as a springboard to a team this year that is hungry and wants to eat somebody's lunch.

I think this is huge. Teams now have a formula for stopping the Denver Offense. By jumpstarting the passiong game, Shanny can go back to dictating the game. The Defenses will be forced to adjust to what Denever does, not Vice versa.

kamakazi_kal
04-30-2006, 02:05 PM
fvck it. .

dont be a jacka$$, you forgot to tell us how much :wiggle:

Bronco_Beerslug
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM

did YOU make that pick?
no?
see how this works?

get a clue rainman.

I'm talking about you not being able to control your mouth.
You've done it many times (throwing 5 year old fits) when something happens or is posted you don't agree with.

And on your "not directed at fans" ranting, BS!
You run down every member here who isn't against the Cutler pick by calling them "stupid" or not "real Bronco fans".

Your rep comments just affirm your school yard sh*t.

----------------------------------------------------
our fans are stupid.
maybe its just that i actually have a brain unlike many of our fans.
this is the kind of idiocy that makes me dislike a LARGE and sadly growing number of bronco fans.
another reason watching games with chosen people is a good idea.
watching games with people who have been there all along and actually know what it is theyre watching.
i honestly dont think i can (or want) to listen to the inevitable idiocy ill hear from fans at games EVERY week.

Northman
04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm talking about you not being able to control your mouth.
You've done it many times (throwing 5 year old fits) when something happens or is posted you don't agree with.

And on your "not directed at fans" ranting, BS!
You run down every member here who isn't against the Cutler pick by calling them "stupid" or not "real Bronco fans".

Your rep comments just affirm your school yard sh*t.

----------------------------------------------------
our fans are stupid.
maybe its just that i actually have a brain unlike many of our fans.
this is the kind of idiocy that makes me dislike a LARGE and sadly growing number of bronco fans.
another reason watching games with chosen people is a good idea.
watching games with people who have been there all along and actually know what it is theyre watching.
i honestly dont think i can (or want) to listen to the inevitable idiocy ill hear from fans at games EVERY week.

Totally agree, for a guy who " claims " to have been around since the Orange Crush days he behaves like a spoiled 2 year old. The only time i acted like that was when i was 15 and we had just lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. He bashes the other fans yet says he may only go to some of the games this year. What true fan says that? I dont give a fvck if this team is 2-10 or 16-0 i am a Broncos fan through thick and thin. Sure, i disagree with some of the picks ( MoClarett as a example ) but i would never say i wont go to the games. Hell, at least he is able too while i have live with watching it on the Telly from where i am. The dude is just classless and amounts to nothing but a bandwagoner in my opinion. Hopefully he will just leave cause we need wannabes like that here.

broncocalijohn
05-01-2006, 03:29 AM
this thread has awesome potential, hope it dont get merged.

You were saying. I wonder how he will be this morning? As long as Blueflame doesnt bounce me from here on the comment that Orange needs Broncos withdrawal for awhile, i think your prediction was right on and cant wait for his press conference here this morning. I hope he is still around. My thread on Orange 4 Life got bumped to the Horses butt.